f37338a04a9153b658f640d07e64b53d99544de5
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 01fftd.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14 <meta>
15  <title>Flight from the Dark</title>
16  <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
17  <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Chalk, Gary">Gary Chalk</creator>
18  <creator class="short">Joe Dever and Gary Chalk</creator>
19  <creator class="medium">
20   <line>Joe Dever</line>
21   <line>Illustrated by Gary Chalk</line>
22  </creator>
23  <creator class="long">
24    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.lw;
25    &inclusion.gary.chalk.bio.lw;
26  </creator>
27  <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
28  <date class="publication"><year>2012</year><month>10</month><day>28</day></date>
29  <description class="blurb">
30  <p>You are Lone Wolf. In a devastating attack the Darklords have destroyed the monastery where you were learning the skills of the Kai Lords. You are the sole survivor.</p>
31  <p>In <strong><cite>Flight from the Dark</cite></strong>, you swear revenge. But first you must reach Holmgard to warn the King of the gathering evil. Relentlessly the servants of darkness hunt you across your country and every turn of the page presents a new challenge. Choose your skills and your weapons carefully<ch.emdash/>for they can help you succeed in the most fantastic and terrifying journey of your life.</p>
32  </description>
33  <description class="publication">
34   <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
35  </description>
36  <rights class="copyrights">
37   <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1984 Joe Dever.</line>
38   <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1984 Gary Chalk.</line>
39  </rights>
40  <rights class="license-notification">
41   <p>
42    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1984 Joe Dever.</line>
43    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1984 Gary Chalk.</line>
44    <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
45   </p>
46  </rights>
47 </meta>
48
49 <section id="toc">
50  <meta />
51  <data />
52 </section>
53
54 <section id="title">
55  <meta>
56   <title>Title Page</title>
57   <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
58  </meta>
59
60  <data>
61
62   <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
63    <meta>
64     <title>Dedication</title>
65     <link class="prev" idref="title" />
66     <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
67    </meta>
68
69    <data>
70
71     <p class="dedication">To Mel and Yin</p>
72
73    </data>
74   </section>
75
76   <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
77    <meta>
78     <title>Acknowledgements</title>
79     <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
80     <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
81    </meta>
82
83    <data>
84
85    &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
86
87     <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
88      <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
89
90      <data>
91
92       <dl>
93        <dt>Transcription</dt>
94         <dd>Ryan Landek</dd>
95        <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
96         <dd>
97          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
98          <line>Paul Haskell</line>
99          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
100          <line>Daniel Strong</line>
101         </dd>
102        <dt>XML</dt>
103         <dd>
104          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
105          <line>Jeff Dougan</line>
106         </dd>
107        <dt>Alternate Illustrations</dt>
108         <dd>
109          <line>JC Alvarez (Text Illustrations and Action Charts)</line>
110          <line>Jonathan Blake (Extramatter Charts and Tables)</line>
111          <line>Michael Hahn (Map)</line>
112         </dd>
113        <dt>Proofreading</dt>
114         <dd>
115          <line>Mark Laird (Sections 36<ch.endash/>70 and 281<ch.endash/>315)</line>
116          <line>Christian Leonhard (Sections 106<ch.endash/>140 and 211<ch.endash/>245)</line>
117          <line>Brad Phelps (Sections 176<ch.endash/>210)</line>
118          <line>Michael Richey (Sections 1<ch.endash/>35 and 316<ch.endash/>350)</line>
119          <line>Tyson Torres (Sections 71<ch.endash/>105, 141<ch.endash/>175, and 246<ch.endash/>280)</line>
120         </dd>
121        <dt>Editing</dt>
122         <dd>
123          <line>Mike Feldman</line>
124          <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
125          <line>Mark Laird</line>
126          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
127          <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
128          <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
129         </dd>
130        <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
131         <dd>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</dd>
132        <dt>Coordination</dt>
133         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
134        <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
135         <dd>
136          <line>Pedro Almeida, Jan Charv<ch.aacute/>t, Christian Cognigni, Tony Lenzo, Dewi Morgan, Laurence O<ch.apos/>Toole, Timothy Pederick</line>
137         </dd>
138       </dl>
139      </data>
140     </section>
141    </data>
142   </section>
143
144   <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
145    <meta>
146     <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
147     <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
148     <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
149    </meta>
150
151    <data>
152     <p>In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.</p>
153     <p>The Kai monks are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will return to their homes equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of the west.</p>
154     <p>In olden times, during the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords waged war on Sommerlund. The conflict was a long and bitter trial of strength that ended in victory for the Sommlending at the great battle of Maakengorge. King Ulnar and the allies of Durenor broke the Darkland armies at the pass of Moytura and forced them back into the bottomless abyss of Maakengorge. Vashna, mightiest of the Darklords, was slain upon the sword of King Ulnar, called <quote>Sommerswerd</quote>, the sword of the sun. Since that age, the Darklords have vowed vengeance upon Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.</p>
155     <p>Now it is in the morning of the feast of Fehmarn, when all of the Kai Lords are present at the monastery for the celebrations. Suddenly a great black cloud comes from out of the western skies. So many are the numbers of the black-winged beasts that fill the sky, that the sun is completely hidden. The Darklords, ancient enemy of the Sommlending are attacking. War has begun.</p>
156     <p>On this fateful morning, you, Silent Wolf (the name given to you by the Kai) have been sent to collect firewood in the forest as a punishment for your inattention in class. As you are preparing to return, you see to your horror a vast cloud of black leathery creatures swoop down and engulf the monastery.</p>
157     <p>Dropping the wood, you race to the battle that has already begun. But in the unnatural dark, you stumble and strike your head on a low tree branch. As you lose consciousness, the last thing that you see in the poor light is the walls of the monastery crashing to the ground.</p>
158     <p>Many hours pass before you awake. With tears in your eyes you now survey the scene of destruction. Raising your face to the clear sky, you swear vengeance on the Darklords for the massacre of the Kai warriors, and with a sudden flash of realization you know what you must do. You must set off on a perilous journey to the capital city to warn the King of the terrible threat that now faces his people. For you are now the last of the Kai<ch.emdash/>you are now the Lone Wolf.</p>
159     <illustration class="float">
160      <meta>
161       <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
162      </meta>
163      <instance class="html" src="tssf.png" width="386" height="300"  mime-type="image/png"/>
164      <instance class="html-compatible" src="tssf.gif" width="386" height="300"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
165      <instance class="pdf" src="tssf.pdf" width="386" height="300" />
166     </illustration>
167    </data>
168   </section>
169
170   <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
171    <meta>
172     <title>The Game Rules</title>
173     <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
174     <link class="next" idref="discplnz" />
175    </meta>
176
177    <data>
178     <p>You keep a record of your adventure on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
179     <p>During your training as a Kai Lord you have developed fighting prowess<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and physical stamina<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Before you set off on your adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick 0 it counts as zero.</p>
180     <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 10 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 4 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 14). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.</p>
181     <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 6 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 26 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
182     <p>If you are wounded in combat you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can never go above the number with which you start your adventure.</p>
183
184     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="discplnz">
185      <meta>
186       <title>Kai Disciplines</title>
187       <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
188       <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
189      </meta>
190
191      <data>
192       <p>Over the centuries, the Kai monks have mastered the skills of the warrior. These skills are known as the Kai Disciplines, and they are taught to all Kai Lords. You have learnt only five of the skills listed below. The choice of which five skills these are, is for you to make. As all of the Disciplines may be of use to you at some point on your perilous quest, pick your five with care. The correct use of a Discipline at the right time can save your life.</p>
193       <p>When you have chosen your five Disciplines, enter them in the Kai Disciplines section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
194
195       <section class="frontmatter" id="camflage">
196        <meta><title>Camouflage</title></meta>
197
198        <data>
199         <p>This Discipline enables a Kai Lord to blend in with his surroundings. In the countryside, he can hide undetected among trees and rocks and pass close to an enemy without being seen. In a town or city, it enables him to look and sound like a native of that area, and can help him to find shelter or a safe hiding place.</p>
200         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Camouflage</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
201        </data>
202       </section>
203
204       <section class="frontmatter" id="hunting">
205        <meta><title>Hunting</title></meta>
206
207        <data>
208         <p>This skill ensures that a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. He will always be able to hunt for food for himself except in areas of wasteland and desert. The skill also enables a Kai Lord to be able to move stealthily when stalking his prey.</p>
209         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Hunting: no need for a Meal when instructed to eat</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
210        </data>
211       </section>
212
213       <section class="frontmatter" id="sixthsns">
214        <meta><title>Sixth Sense</title></meta>
215
216        <data>
217         <p>This skill may warn a Kai Lord of imminent danger. It may also reveal the true purpose of a stranger or strange object encountered in your adventure.</p>
218         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Sixth Sense</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
219        </data>
220       </section>
221
222       <section class="frontmatter" id="tracking">
223        <meta><title>Tracking</title></meta>
224
225        <data>
226         <p>This skill enables a Kai Lord to make the correct choice of a path in the wild, to discover the location of a person or object in a town or city and to read the secrets of footprints or tracks.</p>
227         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Tracking</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
228        </data>
229       </section>
230
231       <section class="frontmatter" id="healing">
232        <meta><title>Healing</title></meta>
233
234        <data>
235         <p>This Discipline can be used to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost in combat. If you possess this skill you may restore 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point to your total for every numbered section of the book you pass through in which you are not involved in combat. (This is only to be used after your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> has fallen below its original level.) Remember that your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> cannot rise above its original level.</p>
236         <p>If you choose this skill write <quote>Healing: <ch.plus/>1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point for each section without combat</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
237        </data>
238       </section>
239
240       <section class="frontmatter" id="wepnskll">
241        <meta><title>Weaponskill</title></meta>
242
243        <data>
244         <p>Upon entering the Kai Monastery, each initiate is taught to master one type of weapon. If Weaponskill is to be one of your Kai Disciplines, pick a number in the usual way from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, and then find the corresponding weapon from the list below. This is the weapon in which you have skill. When you enter combat carrying this weapon, you add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
245         <p>The fact that you are skilled with a weapon does not mean you set out on the adventure carrying that particular weapon. However, you will have opportunities to acquire weapons in the course of your adventures. If you pick the axe, you are lucky enough to be skilled in the one weapon Lone Wolf is carrying from the start of the adventure. (This will be explained fully in the <a idref="equipmnt">Equipment section</a>.)</p>
246         <illustration class="inline">
247          <meta>
248           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
249          </meta>
250          <instance class="html" src="weapons.png" width="386" height="278"  mime-type="image/png"/>
251          <instance class="html-compatible" src="weapons.gif" width="386" height="278"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
252          <instance class="pdf" src="weapons.pdf" width="386" height="278" />
253          <instance class="text">
254           <ul class="unbulleted">
255            <li>0 = Dagger</li>
256            <li>1 = Spear</li>
257            <li>2 = Mace</li>
258            <li>3 = Short Sword</li>
259            <li>4 = Warhammer</li>
260            <li>5 = Sword</li>
261            <li>6 = Axe</li>
262            <li>7 = Sword</li>
263            <li>8 = Quarterstaff</li>
264            <li>9 = Broadsword</li>
265           </ul>
266          </instance>
267         </illustration>
268         <p>You cannot carry more than 2 weapons. If you choose this skill, write <quote>Weaponskill in <ch.blankline/> <ch.plus/>2 <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points if this weapon carried</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
269        </data>
270       </section>
271
272       <section class="frontmatter" id="mindshld">
273        <meta><title>Mindshield</title></meta>
274
275        <data>
276         <p>The Darklords and many of the evil creatures in their command have the ability to attack you using their Mindforce. The Kai Discipline of Mindshield prevents you from losing any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when subjected to this form of attack.</p>
277         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
278        </data>
279       </section>
280
281       <section class="frontmatter" id="mndblst">
282        <meta><title>Mindblast</title></meta>
283
284        <data>
285         <p>This enables a Kai Lord to attack an enemy using the force of his mind. It can be used at the same time as normal combat weapons and adds two extra points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Not all the creatures encountered on this adventure will be harmed by Mindblast. You will be told if a creature is immune.</p>
286         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Mindblast: <ch.plus/>2 <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
287        </data>
288       </section>
289
290       <section class="frontmatter" id="anmlknsp">
291        <meta><title>Animal Kinship</title></meta>
292
293        <data>
294         <p>This skill enables a Kai Lord to communicate with some animals and to be able to guess the intentions of others.</p>
295         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Animal Kinship</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
296        </data>
297       </section>
298
299       <section class="frontmatter" id="mindomtr">
300        <meta><title>Mind Over Matter</title></meta>
301
302        <data>
303         <p>Mastery of this Discipline enables a Kai Lord to move small objects with his powers of concentration.</p>
304         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Mind Over Matter</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
305        </data>
306       </section>
307
308       <p>If you successfully complete the mission as set in Book 1 of <cite>Lone Wolf</cite>, you may add a further Kai Discipline of your choice to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> in <bookref series="lw" book="02fotw">Book 2</bookref>. This additional skill, together with your five other skills and any Special Items that you have picked up in Book 1, may then be used in the next adventure of the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> series which is called <cite><bookref series="lw" book="02fotw">Fire on the Water</bookref></cite>.</p>
309      </data>
310     </section>
311
312     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
313      <meta>
314       <title>Equipment</title>
315       <link class="prev" idref="discplnz" />
316       <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
317      </meta>
318
319      <data>
320       <p>You are dressed in the green tunic and cloak of a Kai initiate. You have little with you to arm yourself for survival.</p>
321       <p>All you possess is an Axe (note under Weapons on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) and a Backpack containing 1 Meal (note under Meals on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>). Hanging from your waist is a leather pouch containing Gold Crowns. To find out how many, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. This number equals the number of Gold Crowns you possess at the start of the adventure. (Note the number in the Belt Pouch section of the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
322       <p>You discover amongst the smoking ruins of the monastery, a <a idref="map">Map of Sommerlund</a> (note under Special Items on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) showing the capital city of Holmgard and the land of Durenor, far to the east. You place the <a idref="map">Map</a> inside your tunic for safety.</p>
323       <p>You also find one of the following:</p>
324       <ul class="paragraphed">
325        <li><p>1 = Sword (Weapons)</p>
326         <illustration class="inline">
327          <meta>
328           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
329          </meta>
330          <instance class="html" src="sword.png" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/png"/>
331          <instance class="html-compatible" src="sword.gif" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
332          <instance class="pdf" src="sword.pdf" originalwidth="54mm" />
333         </illustration>
334        </li>
335        <li>
336         <p>2 = Helmet (Special Items). This adds 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total.</p>
337         <illustration class="inline">
338          <meta>
339           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
340          </meta>
341          <instance class="html" src="helmet.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
342          <instance class="html-compatible" src="helmet.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
343          <instance class="pdf" src="helmet.pdf" originalwidth="18mm" />
344         </illustration>
345        </li>
346        <li>
347         <p>3 = Two Meals (Meals)</p>
348         <illustration class="inline">
349          <meta>
350           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
351          </meta>
352          <instance class="html" src="food.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
353          <instance class="html-compatible" src="food.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
354          <instance class="pdf" src="food.pdf" originalwidth="40mm" />
355         </illustration>
356        </li>
357        <li>
358         <p>4 = Chainmail Waistcoat (Special Items). This adds 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total.</p>
359         <illustration class="inline">
360          <meta>
361           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
362          </meta>
363          <instance class="html" src="mail.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
364          <instance class="html-compatible" src="mail.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
365          <instance class="pdf" src="mail.pdf" originalwidth="24mm" />
366         </illustration>
367        </li>
368        <li>
369         <p>5 = Mace (Weapons)</p>
370         <illustration class="inline">
371          <meta>
372           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
373          </meta>
374          <instance class="html" src="mace.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
375          <instance class="html-compatible" src="mace.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
376          <instance class="pdf" src="mace.pdf" originalwidth="31mm" />
377         </illustration>
378        </li>
379        <li>
380         <p>6 = Healing Potion (Backpack Item). This can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total, when swallowed after combat. You only have enough for one dose.</p>
381         <illustration class="inline">
382          <meta>
383           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
384          </meta>
385          <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
386          <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
387          <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" originalwidth="19mm" />
388         </illustration>
389        </li>
390        <li><p>7 = Quarterstaff (Weapons)</p>
391         <illustration class="inline">
392          <meta>
393           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
394          </meta>
395          <instance class="html" src="qstaff.png" width="386" height="79"  mime-type="image/png"/>
396          <instance class="html-compatible" src="qstaff.gif" width="386" height="79"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
397          <instance class="pdf" src="qstaff.pdf" originalwidth="87mm" />
398         </illustration>
399        </li>
400        <li><p>8 = Spear (Weapons)</p>
401         <illustration class="inline">
402          <meta>
403           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
404          </meta>
405          <instance class="html" src="spear.png" width="386" height="87"  mime-type="image/png"/>
406          <instance class="html-compatible" src="spear.gif" width="386" height="87"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
407          <instance class="pdf" src="spear.pdf" originalwidth="78mm" />
408         </illustration>
409        </li>
410        <li>
411         <p>9 = 12 Gold Crowns (Belt Pouch)</p>
412         <illustration class="inline">
413          <meta>
414           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
415          </meta>
416          <instance class="html" src="pouch.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
417          <instance class="html-compatible" src="pouch.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
418          <instance class="pdf" src="pouch.pdf" originalwidth="28mm" />
419         </illustration>
420        </li>
421        <li><p>0 = Broadsword (Weapons)</p>
422         <illustration class="inline">
423          <meta>
424           <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
425          </meta>
426          <instance class="html" src="bsword.png" width="386" height="102"  mime-type="image/png"/>
427          <instance class="html-compatible" src="bsword.gif" width="386" height="102"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
428          <instance class="pdf" src="bsword.pdf" originalwidth="66mm" />
429         </illustration>
430        </li>
431       </ul>
432       <p>To discover which of the above you find, you must pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and find the corresponding article on the list. Note this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, under the heading given in brackets, and make a note of any effect it may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
433
434       <section class="frontmatter" id="howcarry">
435        <meta><title>How to Carry Equipment</title></meta>
436
437        <data>
438         <p>Now that you have your equipment, the following list shows you how it is carried. You don<ch.apos/>t need to make notes but you can refer back to this list in the course of your adventure.</p>
439         <ul>
440          <li>1 = Sword<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
441          <li>2 = Helmet<ch.emdash/>worn on the head.</li>
442          <li>3 = Food<ch.emdash/>placed in the Backpack.</li>
443          <li>4 = Chainmail Waistcoat<ch.emdash/>worn on the body.</li>
444          <li>5 = Mace<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
445          <li>6 = Healing Potion<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
446          <li>7 = Quarterstaff<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
447          <li>8 = Spear<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
448          <li>9 = Gold Crowns<ch.emdash/>carried in the Belt Pouch.</li>
449          <li>0 = Broadsword<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
450         </ul>
451        </data>
452       </section>
453
454       <section class="frontmatter" id="howmuch">
455        <meta><title>How Much Can You Carry?</title></meta>
456
457        <data>
458         <dl>
459          <dt>Weapons</dt>
460           <dd>The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is <em>two</em>.</dd>
461          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
462           <dd>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may only keep a maximum of eight articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.</dd>
463          <dt>Special Items</dt>
464           <dd>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.</dd>
465          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
466           <dd>These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty crowns.</dd>
467          <dt>Food</dt>
468           <dd>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.</dd>
469         </dl>
470         <p>Any item that may be of use and can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> is given capital letters in the text. Unless you are told it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.</p>
471        </data>
472       </section>
473
474       <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
475        <meta><title>How to Use Your Equipment</title></meta>
476
477        <data>
478         <dl>
479          <dt>Weapons</dt>
480           <dd>Weapons aid you in combat. If you have the Kai Discipline of Weaponskill and the correct weapon, it adds 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you enter a combat with no weapons, deduct 4 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight with your bare hands. If you find a weapon during the adventure, you may pick it up and use it. (Remember you can only carry two Weapons at once.) You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</dd>
481          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
482           <dd>During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may wish to keep. (Remember you can only carry eight items in your Backpack at once.) You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</dd>
483          <dt>Special Items</dt>
484           <dd>Each Special Item has a particular purpose or effect. You may be told this when the item is discovered, or it may be revealed to you as the adventure progresses.</dd>
485          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
486           <dd>The local currency is the Crown, which is a small gold coin. Gold Crowns can be used on your adventure to pay for transport, food, or even as a bribe! Many of the creatures that you will encounter possess Gold Crowns, or have them hidden in their lairs. Whenever you kill a creature, you may take any Gold Crowns that it has and put them in your Belt Pouch.</dd>
487          <dt>Food</dt>
488           <dd>You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If you have chosen the Kai Discipline of Hunting as one of your five skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</dd>
489          <dt>Healing Potion</dt>
490           <dd>This can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. It cannot be used to increase <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points immediately prior to a combat. There is only enough for one dose. If you discover any other potions during the adventure, you will be told then of their effect. All Healing Potions are Backpack Items.</dd>
491         </dl>
492        </data>
493       </section>
494      </data>
495     </section>
496
497     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
498      <meta>
499       <title>Rules for Combat</title>
500       <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
501       <link class="next" idref="levels" />
502      </meta>
503
504      <data>
505       <p>There will be occasions on your adventure when you have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s aim in the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible himself.</p>
506       <p>At the start of a combat, enter Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
507       <p>The sequence for combat is as follows.</p>
508       <ol class="paragraphed">
509        <li><p>Add any extra points gained through your Kai Disciplines to your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
510        <li>
511         <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
512         <p>Example</p>
513         <p>Lone Wolf (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 15) is ambushed by a Winged Devil (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 20). He is not given the opportunity to evade combat, but must stand and fight as the creature swoops down on him. Lone Wolf has the Kai Discipline of Mindblast, so he adds 2 points to his <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>, giving a total <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 17.</p>
514         <p>He subtracts the Winged Devil<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.minus/>3 (17 <ch.minus/> 20 = <ch.minus/>3). <ch.minus/>3 is noted on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
515        </li>
516        <li><p><a id="stage3">When you have your Combat Ratio</a>, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
517        <li>
518         <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked (the random numbers appear on the side of the chart). You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Lone Wolf and his enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; LW represents points lost by Lone Wolf.)</p>
519         <p>Example</p>
520         <p>The Combat Ratio between Lone Wolf and Winged Devil has been established as <ch.minus/>3. If the number taken from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 6, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
521         <ul>
522          <li>Lone Wolf loses 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points</li>
523          <li>Winged Devil loses 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points</li>
524         </ul>
525        </li>
526        <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat.</p></li>
527        <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
528        <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
529       </ol>
530       <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Lone Wolf are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Lone Wolf is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Lone Wolf proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
531       <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
532
533       <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
534        <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
535
536        <data>
537         <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only Lone Wolf may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but then that is the risk of running away! You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
538        </data>
539       </section>
540      </data>
541     </section>
542
543     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="levels">
544      <meta>
545       <title>Levels of Kai Training</title>
546       <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
547       <link class="next" idref="kaiwisdm" />
548      </meta>
549
550      <data>
551       <p>The following table is a guide to the ranks and titles that are bestowed upon Kai Lords at each stage of their training. As you successfully complete each adventure in the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> series, you will gain an additional Kai Discipline and gradually progress towards mastery of the ten basic Kai Disciplines.</p>
552       <ol>
553        <li>Novice</li>
554        <li>Intuite</li>
555        <li>Doan</li>
556        <li>Acolyte</li>
557        <li>Initiate<ch.emdash/>You begin the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures with this level of Kai training</li>
558        <li>Aspirant</li>
559        <li>Guardian</li>
560        <li>Warmarn or Journeyman</li>
561        <li>Savant</li>
562        <li>Master</li>
563       </ol>
564       <p>Beyond the ten basic skills of the Kai Master await the secrets of the higher Kai Disciplines or <quote>Magnakai</quote>. By acquiring the wisdom of the Magnakai, a Kai Lord can progress towards the ultimate achievement and become a Kai Grand Master.</p>
565      </data>
566     </section>
567    </data>
568   </section>
569
570   <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiwisdm">
571    <meta>
572     <title>Kai Wisdom</title>
573     <link class="prev" idref="levels" />
574     <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
575    </meta>
576
577    <data>
578     <p>Your mission will be one of great danger, for the Darklords and their servants are a cruel and fierce enemy who give and expect no mercy. Use the <a idref="map">map</a> to help you steer a correct course for the capital. Make notes as you progress through the story, for they will be of great help in future adventures.</p>
579     <p>Many things that you find will aid you during the adventure. Some Special Items will be of use in future <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures and others may be red herrings of no real use at all, so be selective in what you decide to keep.</p>
580     <p>There are many routes to the King, but only one involves a minimum of danger. With a wise choice of Kai Disciplines and a great deal of courage, any player should be able to complete the mission, no matter how weak their initial <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> or <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
581     <p>The honour and memory of the Kai Lords will go with you on your perilous journey.</p>
582     <p>Good luck!</p>
583    </data>
584   </section>
585
586   <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
587    <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
588
589    <data>
590
591     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
592      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
593
594      <data>
595       <p>You must make haste for you sense it is not safe to linger by the smoking remains of the ruined monastery. The black-winged beasts could return at any moment. You must set out for the Sommlending capital of Holmgard and tell the King the terrible news of the massacre: that the whole <ch.eacute/>lite of Kai warriors, save yourself, have been slaughtered. Without the Kai Lords to lead her armies, Sommerlund will be at the mercy of their ancient enemy, the Darklords.</p>
596       <p>Fighting back tears, you bid farewell to your dead kinsmen. Silently, you promise that their deaths will be avenged. You turn away from the ruins and carefully descend the steep track.</p>
597       <p>At the foot of the hill, the path splits into two directions, both leading into a large wood.</p>
598       <choice idref="sect141">If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 141</link-text>.</choice>
599       <choice idref="sect85">If you wish to take the right path into the wood, <link-text>turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
600       <choice idref="sect275">If you wish to follow the left track, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
601      </data>
602     </section>
603
604     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
605      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
606
607      <data>
608       <p>As you dash through the thickening trees, the shouts of the Giaks begin to fade behind you. You have nearly outdistanced them completely, when you crash headlong into a tangle of low branches.</p>
609       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
610       <choice idref="sect343">If you have picked a number 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
611       <choice idref="sect276">If you have picked a number 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 276</link-text>.</choice>
612      </data>
613     </section>
614
615     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
616      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
617
618      <data>
619       <p>Staying close to the officer, you follow him through an arched portal and up a short flight of stairs to a long hall. Soldiers run back and forth bearing orders on ornate scrolls to officers stationed around the city wall.</p>
620       <p>A haggard and scar-faced man dressed in the white and purple robes of the King<ch.apos/>s court approaches you and bids you follow him to the citadel.</p>
621       <choice idref="sect196">If you wish to follow this man, <link-text>turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
622       <choice idref="sect144">If you wish to decline his offer and return to the crowded streets, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
623      </data>
624     </section>
625
626     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
627      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
628
629      <data>
630       <p>It is a small one-man canoe in very poor condition. The wood has split and warped, and the craft appears to be leaking in several places. You quickly patch up the worst of the holes with some clay and bail out the water. This seems to stop the leaking for the moment. Stowing your equipment at the bow, you set off downstream, using a piece of driftwood as a paddle.</p>
631       <p>After a short while, you hear the sound of horses galloping towards you along the left bank.</p>
632       <choice idref="sect218">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
633       <choice idref="sect75">If you wish to hide in the bottom of the canoe, <link-text>turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
634       <choice idref="sect175">If you wish to try to attract their attention, <link-text>turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
635      </data>
636     </section>
637
638     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
639      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
640
641      <data>
642       <p>After about an hour of walking, the track slowly bears round to the east. You reach a shallow ford where a fast-flowing brook runs on a steep rocky course towards the south. Just beyond the ford is a junction where the track meets a wider path running north to south. Realizing that the north path will take you away from the capital, you turn right at the junction and head south.</p>
643       <choice idref="sect111"><link-text>Turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
644      </data>
645     </section>
646
647     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
648      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
649
650      <data>
651       <p>In the distance you can hear the sound of horses galloping nearer. You crouch behind a tree and wait as the riders come closer. They are the cavalry of the King<ch.apos/>s Guard wearing the white uniforms of His Majesty<ch.apos/>s army.</p>
652       <illustration class="inline">
653        <meta>
654         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
655        </meta>
656          <instance class="html" src="6.png" width="320" height="228"  mime-type="image/png"/>
657          <instance class="html-compatible" src="6.gif" width="320" height="228"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
658          <instance class="pdf" src="6.pdf" width="320" height="228" />
659       </illustration>
660       <illustration class="inline">
661        <meta>
662         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
663        </meta>
664        <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
665        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
666        <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
667       </illustration>
668       <choice idref="sect183">If you wish to call them, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
669       <choice idref="sect200">If you wish to let them pass and then continue on your way through the forest, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
670      </data>
671     </section>
672
673     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
674      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
675
676      <data>
677       <p>For what seems an eternity, the rush of the crowd carries you along like a leaf on a fast-flowing stream. You desperately fight to stay on your feet, but you feel weak and dizzy from your ordeal, and your legs are as heavy as lead. Suddenly, you catch a glimpse of a long, narrow stone stairway that leads up to the roof of an inn.</p>
678       <p>Gathering the last reserves of your strength, you dive for the stairs and climb slowly up to the top. From here you can see the magnificent view of the rooftops and spires of Holmgard, with the high stone walls of the citadel gleaming in the sun.</p>
679       <illustration class="float">
680        <meta>
681         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
682         <description>From here you can see the magnificent view of the rooftops and spires of Holmgard.</description>
683        </meta>
684        <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="676"  mime-type="image/png"/>
685        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="676"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
686        <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="676" />
687       </illustration>
688       <p>The houses and buildings of the capital are built very close to each other, and it is possible to jump from one roof to the next. In fact many of the citizens of Holmgard used to use the <quote>Roofways</quote> (as they are known) when the heavy autumn rains made the unpaved parts of the streets too muddy for walking. But after many accidents, a royal decree forbade their use.</p>
689       <p>After careful thought, you decide to use the <quote>Roofways</quote>, as they are your only chance of reaching the King. You have hopped, skipped, and jumped across several streets and you are only one street away from the citadel when you come to the end of a row of rooftops.</p>
690       <p>The jump to the next row is much further than anything you have tried before, and your stomach begins to feel as if it were full of butterflies. Determined to reach the citadel, you turn and take a long run-up to the jump. With blood pounding in your ears, you sprint to the edge of the roof and leap into space, your eyes fixed on the opposite rooftop.</p>
691       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
692       <choice idref="sect108">If you have picked a number that is 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 108</link-text>.</choice>
693       <choice idref="sect25">If the number is 3<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
694      </data>
695     </section>
696
697     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
698      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
699
700      <data>
701       <p>Your Kai Sixth Sense warns there is a fierce battle raging in the south. Your common sense tells you that the south is also the quickest route to the capital.</p>
702       <choice idref="sect70"><link-text>Turn to 70</link-text> and choose your route.</choice>
703      </data>
704     </section>
705
706     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
707      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
708
709      <data>
710       <p>You cannot move: you are being held rigid by some powerful force. Your eyes are drawn towards the mouth of the skeleton. From deep in the earth you hear a low humming, like the sound of millions of angry bees. A dull red glow appears in the empty eye sockets of the dead King and the humming increases until your ears are filled with the deafening roar. You are in the presence of an ancient evil, far older and stronger than the Darklords themselves.</p>
711       <choice idref="sect236">If you possess a Vordak Gem, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
712       <choice idref="sect292">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
713      </data>
714     </section>
715
716     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
717      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
718
719      <data>
720       <p>You are sweating and your legs ache. In the middle distance you can see a group of cottages.</p>
721       <choice idref="sect115">If you wish to enter a cottage and rest for a while, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
722       <choice idref="sect83">If you wish to press on, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
723      </data>
724     </section>
725
726     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
727      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
728
729      <data>
730       <p>You quickly dodge into the doorway of a stable and hide your surgeon<ch.apos/>s cloak in the straw, for it would be better to be seen as a Kai Lord than as a charlatan.</p>
731       <p>Without wasting a second, you set off towards the Great Hall on the other side of the courtyard.</p>
732       <choice idref="sect139"><link-text>Turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
733      </data>
734     </section>
735
736     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
737      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
738
739      <data>
740       <p>The bodyguard looks at you with great suspicion and then slams the door shut. You can hear the sound of voices inside the caravan. Suddenly the door swings open and the face of a wealthy merchant appears.</p>
741       <p>He demands 10 Gold Crowns as payment for the ride.</p>
742       <choice idref="sect262">If you have 10 Gold Crowns and wish to pay him, <link-text>turn to 262</link-text>.</choice>
743       <choice idref="sect247">If you do not have enough Gold Crowns or do not wish to pay him, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
744      </data>
745     </section>
746
747     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
748      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
749
750      <data>
751       <p>The path soon ends at a large clearing. In the centre of the clearing is a tree much taller and wider than any others you have seen in the forest.</p>
752       <illustration class="inline">
753        <meta>
754         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
755        </meta>
756        <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
757        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
758        <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
759       </illustration>
760       <p>Looking up through the massive branches you can see a large treehouse some twenty-five to thirty feet above the ground. There is no ladder, but the gnarled bark of the tree offers many footholds.</p>
761       <choice idref="sect307">If you wish to climb the tree and search the treehouse, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
762       <choice idref="sect213">If you would rather press on, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
763      </data>
764     </section>
765
766     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
767      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
768
769      <data>
770       <p>You reach the top of a small wooded hill on which several large boulders form a rough circle. Suddenly you hear a loud growl from behind a rock to your left.</p>
771       <choice idref="sect43">If you wish to draw your weapon and prepare to fight, <link-text>turn to 43</link-text>.</choice>
772       <choice idref="sect106">If you would rather take evasive action by running as fast as you can over the hill, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
773      </data>
774     </section>
775
776     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
777      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
778
779      <data>
780       <p>You pass through a long, dark tunnel of overhanging branches that eventually opens out into a large clearing. On a stone plinth in the centre of the clearing is a Sword, sheathed in a black leather scabbard. A handwritten note has been tied to the hilt, but it is in a language which is foreign to you.</p>
781       <p>You may take the Sword if you wish, and note it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
782       <p>There are three exits from the clearing.</p>
783       <choice idref="sect207">If you decide to go east, <link-text>turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
784       <choice idref="sect201">If you decide to go west, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
785       <choice idref="sect35">If you decide to go south, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
786      </data>
787     </section>
788
789     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
790      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
791
792      <data>
793       <p>You manage to free a horse from the straps securing it to the caravan. It is frightened by the scent of the approaching Doomwolves, and the cries of their evil riders<ch.emdash/>the Giaks.</p>
794       <p>Preparing your weapon, you spur your skittish horse towards the oncoming beasts. They are less than fifty yards away and they are lowering their lances at you as they get nearer and nearer.</p>
795       <choice idref="sect192">You are charging head-on towards each other. <link-text>Turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
796      </data>
797     </section>
798
799     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
800      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
801
802      <data>
803       <p>You raise your weapon to strike at the beast as its razor-fanged mouth snaps shut just inches from your head. Buffeted by the beating of its wings you find it difficult to stand.</p>
804       <illustration class="float">
805        <meta>
806         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
807        </meta>
808        <instance class="html" src="17.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
809        <instance class="html-compatible" src="17.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
810        <instance class="pdf" src="17.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
811       </illustration>
812       <p>Deduct 1 point from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight the Kraan.</p>
813       <combat><enemy>Kraan</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat> 
814       <p>If you kill the creature, you quickly descend the far side of the hill to avoid the Giaks.</p>
815       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
816       <choice idref="sect53">If you pick 0, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
817       <choice idref="sect274">If you pick 1<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
818       <choice idref="sect316">If you pick 3<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 316</link-text>.</choice>
819      </data>
820     </section>
821
822     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
823      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
824
825      <data>
826       <p>You are awoken by the sound of troops in the distance. Across the lake you see the black-cloaked figures of Drakkarim and a pack of Doomwolves and their riders. A Kraan appears from above the trees and lands on the roof of the small wooden shack.</p>
827       <p>It is ridden by a creature dressed in red. The Kraan takes off and begins to fly across the lake to where you are hidden.</p>
828       <choice idref="sect114">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Camouflage, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
829       <choice idref="sect239">If you wish to ride deeper in the forest, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
830       <choice idref="sect29">If you wish to fight the creature, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
831      </data>
832     </section>
833
834     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
835      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
836
837      <data>
838       <p>Just ahead through the tall trees you can see clumps of dark-red gallowbrush, a thorny briar with sharp crimson barbs. The common name for this forest weed is <quote>Sleeptooth</quote>, for the thorns are very sharp and can make you feel weak and sleepy if they scratch your skin.</p>
839       <choice idref="sect69">If you have the Kai Discipline of Tracking, <link-text>turn to 69</link-text>.</choice>
840       <choice idref="sect272">You can avoid the Sleeptooth by returning to the track. <link-text>Turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
841       <choice idref="sect119">Or you can push on through the briars, deeper into the forest, by <link-text>turning to 119</link-text>.</choice>
842      </data>
843     </section>
844
845     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
846      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
847
848      <data>
849       <p>It seems that whoever lived here left in a great hurry<ch.emdash/>and they must have left quite recently. A half-eaten meal still remains on the table, and a mug of dark jala is still warm to the touch.</p>
850       <p>Searching a chest and small wardrobe, you find a Backpack, food (enough for two Meals), and a Dagger.</p>
851       <p>If you wish to take these items, remember to mark them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. You continue your mission.</p>
852       <choice idref="sect273"><link-text>Turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
853      </data>
854     </section>
855
856     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
857      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
858
859      <data>
860       <p>You have ridden about two miles into the tangle of trees when the ground becomes very marshy.</p>
861       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
862       <choice idref="sect189">If it is below 5, your horse has suddenly plunged into thick mud up to its belly. If the number is 5 or above, you manage to steer clear of the morass and may now <link-text>turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
863       <choice idref="sect189">If you are stuck, pick another number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If this time the number is 7 or less, the mud engulfs you up to your armpits. Your horse gives one last despairing scream as its muzzle disappears into the bubbling mud. If you scored above 7, you drag yourself onto firm ground and <link-text>turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
864       <choice idref="sect312">If not, then this is your last chance! If you pick any number except a 9, the foul-smelling bog sucks you under and claims another victim. Your life and your mission end here. But if you have picked a 9, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
865      </data>
866     </section>
867
868     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
869      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
870
871      <data>
872       <p>Knocking aside the leader, you sprint off along the highway. Then behind you the ominous <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> of a crossbow being cocked sends a shiver down your spine.</p>
873       <illustration class="inline">
874        <meta>
875         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
876        </meta>
877        <instance class="html" src="small20.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
878        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small20.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
879        <instance class="pdf" src="small20.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
880       </illustration>
881       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
882       <choice idref="sect181">If you have picked a number 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
883       <choice idref="sect145">If you have picked a number 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
884      </data>
885     </section>
886
887     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
888      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
889
890      <data>
891       <p>The corridor soon widens into a large hall. At the far end, a stone staircase leads up to a huge door. Two black candles on either side of the stone steps dimly illuminate the chamber. You notice that no wax has melted, and as you get nearer you can feel that they give off no heat. Ancient engravings cover the stone surfaces of the walls.</p>
892       <illustration class="float">
893        <meta>
894         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
895         <description>An ornate pin appears to lock the door, but there is also a keyhole in the lockplate.</description>
896        </meta>
897        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="714"  mime-type="image/png"/>
898        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="714"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
899        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="714" />
900       </illustration>
901       <p>Anxious to leave this evil tomb, you examine the door for a latch. An ornate pin appears to lock the door, but there is also a keyhole in the lockplate.</p>
902       <choice idref="sect326">If you have a Golden Key and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
903       <choice idref="sect151">If you have the Kai Discipline of Mind Over Matter, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
904       <choice idref="sect337">If you wish to remove the pin, <link-text>turn to 337</link-text>.</choice>
905      </data>
906     </section>
907
908     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
909      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
910
911      <data>
912       <p>The merchant shouts to the driver of the caravan to jump. <quote>We<ch.apos/>re under attack!</quote> he cries, disappearing through a circular window.</p>
913       <choice idref="sect234">If you decide to jump after him, <link-text>turn to 234</link-text>.</choice>
914       <choice idref="sect184">If you decide to run through the caravan and grab the reins of the horse team, <link-text>turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
915      </data>
916     </section>
917
918     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
919      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
920
921      <data>
922       <p>You land with such a crash on the opposite roof, that the wind is knocked out of you and you lie flat on your back with your head in a spin.</p>
923       <p>It takes a minute or so for you to realize that you<ch.apos/>ve made it and are perfectly safe. When you are sure you are all right, you jump up and let out a shout for joy at your skill and daring.</p>
924       <p>Quickly you find a way across the roof and climb down a long drainpipe to the street below. You see the large iron doors of the citadel open, and a wagon drawn by two large horses tries to leave. The horses are frightened by the noisy crowd and they both rear up, causing the wagon to smash a front wheel against the door. In the confusion, you see a chance to enter and quickly slip inside just as the guards slam the doors shut.</p>
925       <choice idref="sect139"><link-text>Turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
926      </data>
927     </section>
928
929     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
930      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
931
932      <data>
933       <p>Cautiously, you move along the corridor until you come to a sharp eastward turn. A strange greenish light can be seen in the distance.</p>
934       <choice idref="sect249">If you wish to continue, <link-text>turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
935       <choice idref="sect100">If you wish to go back and try the southern route, <link-text>turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
936      </data>
937     </section>
938
939     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
940      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
941
942      <data>
943       <p>You walk along this path for over an hour, carefully watching the sky above you in case the Kraan attack again. Up ahead, a large tree has fallen across the path. As you approach, you can hear voices coming from the other side of the massive trunk.</p>
944       <choice idref="sect250">If you choose to attack, <link-text>turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
945       <choice idref="sect52">If you choose to listen to what the voices say, <link-text>turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
946      </data>
947     </section>
948
949     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
950      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
951
952      <data>
953       <p>After a few hundred yards, the path joins another one running north to south.</p>
954       <choice idref="sect130">If you wish to go northwards, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
955       <choice idref="sect147">If you wish to head south, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
956      </data>
957     </section>
958
959     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
960      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
961
962      <data>
963       <p>You stride out to the water<ch.apos/>s edge and prepare yourself for combat. The Kraan and its rider spot you and begin to speed across the lake barely inches above the surface.</p>
964       <p>The rider lets out a scream that freezes your blood. He is a Vordak, a fierce lieutenant of the Darklords.</p>
965       <p>He is upon you and you must fight him. Deduct 2 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> unless you have the Kai Discipline of Mindshield, for the creature is attacking you with its Mindforce as well as with a huge black mace.</p>
966       <combat><enemy>Vordak</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
967       <choice idref="sect270">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
968      </data>
969     </section>
970
971     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
972      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
973
974      <data>
975       <p>The people look tired and hungry. They have come many miles from their burning city. Suddenly, you hear the beat of huge wings coming from the north.</p>
976       <p><quote>Kraan, Kraan! Hide yourselves!</quote> the cry goes up all along the road.</p>
977       <p>Just in front of you, a wagon carrying small children breaks down, its right wheel jammed in a furrow. The children scream in panic.</p>
978       <illustration class="inline">
979        <meta>
980         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
981        </meta>
982        <instance class="html" src="30.png" width="386" height="271"  mime-type="image/png"/>
983        <instance class="html-compatible" src="30.gif" width="386" height="271"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
984        <instance class="pdf" src="30.pdf" width="386" height="271" />
985       </illustration>
986       <illustration class="inline">
987        <meta>
988         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
989        </meta>
990        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
991        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
992        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
993       </illustration>
994       <choice idref="sect194">If you wish to help the children, <link-text>turn to 194</link-text>.</choice>
995       <choice idref="sect261">If you<ch.apos/>d rather run for the cover of the trees, <link-text>turn to 261</link-text>.</choice>
996      </data>
997     </section>
998
999     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1000      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1001
1002      <data>
1003       <p>You try to comfort the injured man as best you can, but his wounds are serious and he is soon unconscious again. Covering him with his cape, you turn and press deeper into the forest.</p>
1004       <choice idref="sect264"><link-text>Turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
1005      </data>
1006     </section>
1007
1008     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1009      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1010
1011      <data>
1012       <p>You have ridden about three miles when, in the distance, you spot the unmistakable silhouette of five large Doomwolves. Riding on their backs are Giaks. They seem to be going on ahead to where the path leads down into an open meadow. Suddenly, one of the Giaks leaves the others and begins to ride back along the path towards you.</p>
1013       <choice idref="sect176">If you wish to hide in the undergrowth and let him pass, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
1014       <choice idref="sect340">If you wish to fight him, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1015      </data>
1016     </section>
1017
1018     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1019      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1020
1021      <data>
1022       <p>The floor of the cave is quite dry and dusty. As you explore deeper in the half-light, you detect the stale odour of rotting flesh. Littering a crevice are the bones, fur, and teeth of several small animals. You notice a small cloth bag among these remains which you open to discover 3 Gold Crowns. Pocketing these coins, you leave what appears to be the lair of a mountain cat and carefully descend the hill.</p>
1023       <choice idref="sect248"><link-text>Turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
1024      </data>
1025     </section>
1026
1027     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1028      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1029
1030      <data>
1031       <p>Without warning, a terrible apparition in red robes swoops down from the sky on the back of a Kraan. Its cry freezes your blood. The beast is a Vordak, a fierce lieutenant of the Darklords.</p>
1032       <p>He is above you and you must fight him.</p>
1033       <illustration class="float">
1034        <meta>
1035         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1036         <description>A terrible apparition in red robes swoops down from the sky on the back of a Kraan.</description>
1037        </meta>
1038        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="691"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1039        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="691"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1040        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="691" />
1041       </illustration>
1042       <p>Deduct 2 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> unless you have the Kai Discipline of Mindshield, for the creature is attacking you with the power of its Mindforce as well as with a huge black mace.</p>
1043       <combat><enemy>Vordak</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
1044       <choice idref="sect328">If you win, <link-text>turn to 328</link-text>.</choice>
1045      </data>
1046     </section>
1047
1048     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1049      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1050
1051      <data>
1052       <p>The forest is becoming denser, and the path more tangled with thorny briars. Almost completely hidden by the undergrowth, you notice another path branching off towards the east. Your current route seems to be coming to a prickly end, so you decide to follow the new path eastwards.</p>
1053       <choice idref="sect207"><link-text>Turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
1054      </data>
1055     </section>
1056
1057     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1058      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1059
1060      <data>
1061       <p>The old watchtower ladder is rotten and several rungs break as you climb. Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1062       <choice idref="sect140">If the number is 4 or lower, you have fallen. Lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and <link-text>turn to 140</link-text>.</choice>
1063       <choice idref="sect323">If the number is 5 or higher, you do not fall. <link-text>Turn to 323</link-text>.</choice>
1064      </data>
1065     </section>
1066
1067     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1068      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1069
1070      <data>
1071       <p>You are feeling tired and hungry and you must stop to eat. After your Meal, you retrace your steps back to the citadel and begin to walk around the high, indomitable stone wall.</p>
1072       <p>You discover another entrance on the eastern side, guarded as before by two armoured soldiers.</p>
1073       <choice idref="sect282">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Camouflage, <link-text>turn to 282</link-text>.</choice>
1074       <choice idref="sect289">If you wish to approach them and tell your story, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
1075      </data>
1076     </section>
1077
1078     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1079      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1080
1081      <data>
1082       <p>For half an hour or more you press on through the forest, through the rich vegetation and ferns. You happen upon a small clear stream where you stop for a few minutes to wash your face and drink of the cold, fresh water.</p>
1083       <p>Feeling revitalized, you cross the stream and press on. You soon notice the smell of wood smoke which seems to be drifting towards you from the north.</p>
1084       <choice idref="sect128">If you wish to investigate the smell of wood smoke, <link-text>turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
1085       <choice idref="sect347">If you would rather avoid the source of this smoke, <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
1086      </data>
1087     </section>
1088
1089     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1090      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1091
1092      <data>
1093       <p>After a few seconds, two small furry faces nervously appear over the top of the trunk. They say they are Kakarmi and tell you that the Kraan are everywhere. To the west lie the remains of their village but little is left of it now. They are trying to find the rest of their tribe who took to the forest when the <quote>Black-wings</quote> attacked. They point behind them<ch.emdash/>east along the path<ch.emdash/>and tell you that the trail appears to be a dead end, but that if you continue through the undergrowth for a few yards more, you will find a watchtower where the path splits into three directions. Take the east path. This leads to the King<ch.apos/>s highway between the capital city<ch.emdash/>Holmgard<ch.emdash/>and the northern port of Toran.</p>
1094       <illustration class="inline">
1095        <meta>
1096         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1097        </meta>
1098        <instance class="html" src="small18.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1099        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small18.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1100        <instance class="pdf" src="small18.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1101       </illustration>
1102       <p>You thank the Kakarmi, and bid them farewell.</p>
1103       <choice idref="sect228"><link-text>Turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
1104      </data>
1105     </section>
1106
1107     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1108      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1109
1110      <data>
1111       <p>Keeping a careful watch on the huts for any sign of the enemy, you make your way around the clearing under the cover of the trees and bracken. Rejoining the track, you hurry away from Fogwood.</p>
1112       <choice idref="sect105"><link-text>Turn to 105</link-text>.</choice>
1113      </data>
1114     </section>
1115
1116     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1117      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1118
1119      <data>
1120       <p>Three rangers gallop past the river bank, closely followed by the Giaks on their snarling Doomwolves.</p>
1121       <illustration class="float">
1122        <meta>
1123         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1124        </meta>
1125        <instance class="html" src="41.png" width="386" height="533"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1126        <instance class="html-compatible" src="41.gif" width="386" height="533"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1127        <instance class="pdf" src="41.pdf" width="386" height="533" />
1128       </illustration>
1129       <illustration class="float">
1130        <meta>
1131         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1132         <description>The Giak leader orders five of his troops to open fire at you with their bows.</description>
1133        </meta>
1134        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="694"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1135        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="694"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1136        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="694" />
1137       </illustration>
1138       <p>The bank is steep and you are spotted by the Giak leader who orders five of his troops to open fire at you with their bows. Their black arrows rain down on you.</p>
1139       <choice idref="sect174">If you decide to paddle downstream as fast as you can, <link-text>turn to 174</link-text>.</choice>
1140       <choice idref="sect116">If you decide to head for the cover of the trees on the opposite bank, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1141      </data>
1142     </section>
1143
1144     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1145      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1146
1147      <data>
1148       <p>You follow the track for nearly an hour when you come to a crossroads.</p>
1149       <choice idref="sect86">If you wish to continue east, <link-text>turn to 86</link-text>.</choice>
1150       <choice idref="sect238">If you would rather head north, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
1151       <choice idref="sect157">If you decide to venture south, <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
1152       <choice idref="sect147">Or if you prefer to go west, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
1153      </data>
1154     </section>
1155
1156     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1157      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1158
1159      <data>
1160       <p>From behind the rock a huge black bear comes into view. It advances slowly towards you, its mouth open and its face lined in anger and pain.</p>
1161       <p>You notice that it is badly wounded and is bleeding from its neck and back. You must fight it.</p>
1162       <combat><enemy>Black Bear</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
1163       <choice idref="sect195">If you win, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1164       <choice idref="sect106">After three rounds of combat, you position yourself so that you can run down the hill. If you wish to evade at this time then <link-text>turn to 106</link-text> and chance being wounded as you flee.</choice>
1165      </data>
1166     </section>
1167
1168     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1169      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1170
1171      <data>
1172       <p>Without warning, the old track ends abruptly at the edge of a steep slope. The ground here is very loose and unstable. You lose your footing and fall headlong over the edge.</p>
1173       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1174       <choice idref="sect277">If you have picked a number that is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
1175       <choice idref="sect338">If the number is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 338</link-text>.</choice>
1176      </data>
1177     </section>
1178
1179     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1180      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1181
1182      <data>
1183       <p>These men are not what they seem. The tunic of the leader is genuine but it is heavily bloodstained around the collar, as if its true owner had been murdered. Their weapons are not army issue, but expensive and lavishly decorated like the weapons made by the armourers of Durenor.</p>
1184       <p>The leader has a crossbow slung over his pack. An attempt to run would be suicide. You decide that you must fight them or you will surely be murdered as soon as you drop your weapon.</p>
1185       <choice idref="sect180"><link-text>Turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
1186      </data>
1187     </section>
1188
1189     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1190      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1191
1192      <data>
1193       <p>You have covered about two miles when the trees ahead thin out. You can see a small wooden shack on the edge of a lake. A cloaked man approaches you and offers to row you and your horse across the lake for a fee of 2 Gold Crowns.</p>
1194       <choice idref="sect296">If you have the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 296</link-text>.</choice>
1195       <choice idref="sect246">If you accept the offer, <link-text>turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1196       <choice idref="sect90">If you refuse and try to ride around the lake, <link-text>turn to 90</link-text>.</choice>
1197      </data>
1198     </section>
1199
1200     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1201      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1202
1203      <data>
1204       <p>Breathless and sweating, you claw your way towards the summit of the hill. Suddenly, a large winged shadow passes across the hillside. You look up to see a Kraan circling the peak above. Behind you the Giaks are gaining ground.</p>
1205       <choice idref="sect136">Do you stand and fight the Giaks where you are, using the high ground to your advantage? If so, <link-text>turn to 136</link-text>.</choice>
1206       <choice idref="sect322">Or do you grit your teeth and press on towards the peak of the hill? <link-text>Turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
1207      </data>
1208     </section>
1209
1210     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1211      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1212
1213      <data>
1214       <p>Your Sixth Sense warns you that these troops are not all they seem. You can detect an aura of evil about them. They are in the service of the Darklords.</p>
1215       <choice idref="sect243">You must leave here quickly before you are spotted. <link-text>Turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1216      </data>
1217     </section>
1218
1219     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1220      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1221
1222      <data>
1223       <p>As you begin to read the inscription, you notice a shadow moving towards you from behind the screen.</p>
1224       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1225       <choice idref="sect339">If you have chosen a number that is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
1226       <choice idref="sect60">If the number is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
1227      </data>
1228     </section>
1229
1230     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1231      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1232
1233      <data>
1234       <p>The sound of fighting can be heard in the distance.</p>
1235       <choice idref="sect97">If you wish to continue towards the sound of battle, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
1236       <choice idref="sect243">If you wish to avoid the fighting, change direction and <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1237      </data>
1238     </section>
1239
1240     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1241      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1242
1243      <data>
1244       <p>You climb the wooded bank of the river and see the log walls of the fieldworks disappearing into the distance.</p>
1245       <illustration class="float">
1246        <meta>
1247         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1248         <description>The log wall has collapsed in several places where the Darklords are attacking.</description>
1249        </meta>
1250        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="673"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1251        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="673"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1252        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="673" />
1253       </illustration>
1254       <p>A battle rages about two miles away and the log wall has collapsed in several places where the Darklords are attacking.</p>
1255       <p>Most of the fieldworks ahead are unmanned, the soldiers having left to supply reinforcements for the raging battle.</p>
1256       <choice idref="sect288">There is a gate in the log wall. If you wish to approach it, <link-text>turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
1257       <choice idref="sect221">If you would prefer to climb over the wall instead, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
1258      </data>
1259     </section>
1260
1261     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1262      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1263
1264      <data>
1265       <p>Now that you are closer, you can make out that the voices are not human. The sound is more like a kind of grunting and squeaking.</p>
1266       <choice idref="sect225">If you have the Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship, <link-text>turn to 225</link-text>.</choice>
1267       <choice idref="sect250">If not, you must climb over the tree and face whatever lurks on the other side. <link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
1268      </data>
1269     </section>
1270
1271     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1272      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1273
1274      <data>
1275       <p>A searing pain tears through your right leg as it is twisted and crushed by the weight of your body. Down and down you tumble, until you finally land in a ditch at the base of the hill with such force that the wind is knocked out of you and you lose consciousness.</p>
1276       <p>You are awoken by the sharp pain of something stabbing your chest. It proves to be the tip of a Giak spear. You are greeted by the malicious sneer of its owner as he pins your left arm to the ground. Instinctively you reach for your weapon but it is no longer there.</p>
1277       <p>Defenceless against the cruel Giaks, the last thing that you see before all light fades is the jagged point of a Giak lance hurtling down towards your throat.</p>
1278       <deadend>Your mission ends here.</deadend>
1279      </data>
1280     </section>
1281
1282     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1283      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1284
1285      <data>
1286       <p>It would seem that the heavens have not heard your prayers. A spear whistles past your head and embeds itself in the neck of your galloping horse. With a shriek of pain, the horse topples forward and you both roll in a tangled heap on the highway.</p>
1287       <p>Dazed and pinned down by the weight of the dead body of your horse, the last thing you remember is the sharp penetrating spearheads of the Giak lances.</p>
1288       <deadend>You have failed in your mission.</deadend>
1289      </data>
1290     </section>
1291
1292     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1293      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1294
1295      <data>
1296       <p>Just as the Giak makes his leap, you race forward and strike out with your weapon<ch.emdash/>knocking the creature away from the young wizard<ch.apos/>s back.</p>
1297       <p>You jump onto the struggling Giak and strike again. Due to the surprise of your attack, add 4 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of this fight but remember to deduct it again as soon as the fight is over.</p>
1298       <combat><enemy>Giak</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">9</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">9</enemy-attribute></combat>
1299       <choice idref="sect325">If you win, <link-text>turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
1300      </data>
1301     </section>
1302
1303     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1304      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1305
1306      <data>
1307       <p>You hear the scream of a large winged beast above the trees. It is a Kraan, a deadly servant of the Darklords. Quickly you hide beneath the thick fronds of fern until the horrible shrieks have passed away.</p>
1308       <choice idref="sect222">Now <link-text>turn to 222</link-text>.</choice>
1309      </data>
1310     </section>
1311
1312     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1313      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1314
1315      <data>
1316       <p>The cabin has only one room. In it you see a wooden table and two benches, a large bed made of straw bales lashed together, several bottles of coloured liquids, and an embroidered rug in the centre of the floor.</p>
1317       <illustration class="inline">
1318        <meta>
1319         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1320        </meta>
1321        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1322        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1323        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="322" height="150" />
1324       </illustration>
1325       <choice idref="sect164">If you choose to take a closer look at the bottles, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1326       <choice idref="sect109">If you choose to pull back the rug, <link-text>turn to 109</link-text>.</choice>
1327       <choice idref="sect308">If you choose to leave the room and investigate the stable, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
1328      </data>
1329     </section>
1330
1331     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1332      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1333
1334      <data>
1335       <p>Bracing yourself for the run, you head off down the ridge at a steady pace. To the west, the army of the Darklords looks like a giant pot of black ink that has been spilled between the mountains and is spreading into the land below.</p>
1336       <p>You have been running for twenty minutes when you catch sight of a pack of Doomwolves lining a shallow ridge to your right.</p>
1337       <choice idref="sect251">If you decide to flatten yourself against the rocks along the side of the road and wait until they pass, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
1338       <choice idref="sect160">If you decide to carry on running, but draw your weapon just in case they attack, <link-text>turn to 160</link-text>.</choice>
1339      </data>
1340     </section>
1341
1342     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1343      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1344
1345      <data>
1346       <p>Peering into the darkness, you notice that rough stairs have been cut into the earth and that the mouth of the cave is in fact the entrance to a tunnel.</p>
1347       <p>Carefully descending the slippery stairway, you notice a small silver box on a shelf at the bottom of the staircase.</p>
1348       <choice idref="sect124">If you want to open the silver box, <link-text>turn to 124</link-text>.</choice>
1349       <choice idref="sect106">If you wish to return to the surface and press on, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1350       <choice idref="sect211">If you wish to investigate the tunnel further, <link-text>turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1351      </data>
1352     </section>
1353
1354     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1355      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1356
1357      <data>
1358       <p>The last thing you remember before darkness engulfs you is the flash of a long curved steel knife. You have become yet another victim of the Sage and his robber son<ch.emdash/>the very one who has just slit your throat!</p>
1359       <deadend>Your quest ends here.</deadend>
1360      </data>
1361     </section>
1362
1363     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1364      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1365
1366      <data>
1367       <p>At last you can reach the wooden fieldworks surrounding the outer city. As you race towards a sentry post, you can hear the excited shouts of the guards cheering you on. Thank the gods that they recognize you, for you must appear a ragged and suspicious figure. Your cloak is torn and hangs in tatters, your face is scratched and blood-smeared, and the dust of the Graveyard covers you from head to toe.</p>
1368       <p>Splashing through a shallow stream, you stagger towards the gate. The full horror of the Graveyard encounter begins to catch up with you. The last thing you recall before exhaustion robs you of consciousness, is falling into the outstretched arms of two soldiers who have run from the fieldworks to help you.</p>
1369       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1370      </data>
1371     </section>
1372
1373     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1374      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1375
1376      <data>
1377       <p>The <quote>soldiers</quote> lie dead at your feet. They were bandits who were stealing from the refugees of Toran, and from the abandoned houses and farms in the area.</p>
1378       <p>Searching their bodies you find 28 Gold Crowns and two Backpacks containing enough food for 3 Meals. They had been armed with a crossbow and three Swords. The crossbow has been damaged in the fight, but the Swords are untouched and you may keep one if you wish.</p>
1379       <p>You adjust your equipment, give a cautious glance towards the west, and continue your run towards the outer defences of the capital.</p>
1380       <choice idref="sect288"><link-text>Turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
1381      </data>
1382     </section>
1383
1384     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1385      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1386
1387      <data>
1388       <p>The wild old man is screaming at you. He blames you for the war and curses the Kai Lords as agents of the Darklords. He will not listen to reason and you must fight him.</p>
1389       <illustration class="float">
1390        <meta>
1391         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1392        </meta>
1393        <instance class="html" src="63.png" width="386" height="520"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1394        <instance class="html-compatible" src="63.gif" width="386" height="520"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1395        <instance class="pdf" src="63.pdf" width="386" height="520" />
1396       </illustration>
1397       <illustration class="float">
1398        <meta>
1399         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1400         <description>The wild old man is screaming at you.</description>
1401        </meta>
1402        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="681"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1403        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="681"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1404        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="681" />
1405       </illustration>
1406       <combat><enemy>Madman</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">11</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat> 
1407       <choice idref="sect269">If you win, <link-text>turn to 269</link-text>.</choice>
1408      </data>
1409     </section>
1410
1411     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1412      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1413
1414      <data>
1415       <p>You are awoken by the cries of a Kraan circling above the caravan. It is early morning and the sky is clear and bright. You can see a pack of Doomwolves less than a quarter of a mile away along the highway ahead. They are preparing to attack. You must act quickly.</p>
1416       <choice idref="sect188">If you decide to gather your equipment and run for the cover of the trees, <link-text>turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1417       <choice idref="sect16">If you decide to cut free one of the horses and try to break through the attacking Doomwolves to the clear road beyond, then <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
1418      </data>
1419     </section>
1420
1421     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1422      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1423
1424      <data>
1425       <p>Your senses scream at you that this place is very evil. Leave as quickly as you can.</p>
1426       <choice idref="sect104"><link-text>Turn to 104</link-text>.</choice>
1427      </data>
1428     </section>
1429
1430     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1431      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1432
1433      <data>
1434       <p>Startled, you turn around to see a burly sergeant and two soldiers running towards you, their swords drawn as if to strike.</p>
1435       <p>You prepare to defend yourself for it looks as if they are about to attack first and ask questions later; but suddenly the sergeant calls his men to a halt. He has recognized your cloak. They put away their weapons and apologize many times for their mistake. The sergeant orders one of the men to fetch the captain of the Guard as he leads you to the doors of the Great Hall.</p>
1436       <p>You are greeted by a tall and handsome warrior who listens intently to your story. When you have finished the account of your perilous journey to the capital, you notice a tear in the brave man<ch.apos/>s eye as he bids you to follow him. You walk through the splendid halls and corridors of the inner Palace. The richness and grandeur are a wonder to behold. You eventually arrive at a large carved door, guarded by two soldiers wearing silver armour.</p>
1437       <p>You are about to meet the King.</p>
1438       <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
1439      </data>
1440     </section>
1441
1442     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1443      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1444
1445      <data>
1446       <p>Your Kai Discipline of Tracking reveals to you fresh paw prints leading off along the south path.</p>
1447       <p>They are the prints of a black bear, an animal renowned for its ferocity. You decide the east path would be a much safer route.</p>
1448       <choice idref="sect252"><link-text>Turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
1449      </data>
1450     </section>
1451
1452     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1453      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1454
1455      <data>
1456       <p>After a short walk, you reach a junction where a path crosses your present route heading from west to east.</p>
1457       <choice idref="sect130">If you wish to turn west, <link-text>go to 130</link-text>.</choice>
1458       <choice idref="sect15">If you wish to head east, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
1459      </data>
1460     </section>
1461
1462     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1463      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1464
1465      <data>
1466       <p>You are very near a friendly village.</p>
1467       <choice idref="sect272">Avoid the gallowbrush and <link-text>turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
1468      </data>
1469     </section>
1470
1471     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1472      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1473
1474      <data>
1475       <p>You have reached a small bridge. A track follows the stream towards the east. A much narrower path disappears into thick forest towards the south.</p>
1476       <illustration class="inline">
1477        <meta>
1478         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1479        </meta>
1480        <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1481        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1482        <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1483       </illustration>
1484       <choice idref="sect8">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
1485       <choice idref="sect28">If you wish to go east, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
1486       <choice idref="sect157">If you wish to go south, <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
1487      </data>
1488     </section>
1489
1490     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1491      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1492
1493      <data>
1494       <p>You are winded but not hurt. You have fallen fifteen feet or so through the roof of an underground tomb. The walls are sheer and you cannot climb them. An arched tunnel leads out of the tomb towards the east, in front of which lies the sarcophagus of some ancient noble.</p>
1495       <choice idref="sect65">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 65</link-text>.</choice>
1496       <choice idref="sect242">If you wish to open the sarcophagus to see if it contains any treasure, <link-text>turn to 242</link-text>.</choice>
1497       <choice idref="sect104">If you wish to leave via the tunnel, <link-text>turn to 104</link-text>.</choice>
1498      </data>
1499     </section>
1500
1501     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1502      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1503
1504      <data>
1505       <p>You turn to face a sneering Giak and the razor-fanged jaws of its mount. You must fight them as one enemy.</p>
1506       <combat><enemy>Giak <ch.plus/> Doomwolf</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
1507       <choice idref="sect265">If you win, <link-text>turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
1508      </data>
1509     </section>
1510
1511     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1512      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1513
1514      <data>
1515       <p>Pulling your green cloak about you, you blend into the foliage and rocks. Peering carefully up at the track, you are shocked to see that they are not the King<ch.apos/>s men at all.</p>
1516       <p>They are Drakkarim, some of the Darklords<ch.apos/> cruellest troops. They must have disguised themselves as soldiers of the King in order to get this far into the forest. Thanking your Kai training for saving your life, you silently slip away from the stream and push on into the forest.</p>
1517       <choice idref="sect243"><link-text>Turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1518      </data>
1519     </section>
1520
1521     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1522      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1523
1524      <data>
1525       <p>The Kraan and its riders land on the track barely ten feet from where you are hidden.</p>
1526       <illustration class="float">
1527        <meta>
1528         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1529        </meta>
1530        <instance class="html" src="74.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1531        <instance class="html-compatible" src="74.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1532        <instance class="pdf" src="74.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
1533       </illustration>
1534       <p>The Giaks leap from the scaly backs of the Kraan and move towards you, their spears raised to strike. You have been seen.</p>
1535       <choice idref="sect138">If you decide to fight them, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1536       <choice idref="sect281">If you decide to run deeper into the forest without delay, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1537      </data>
1538     </section>
1539
1540     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1541      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1542
1543      <data>
1544       <p>Peering out carefully, you can see three green-clad men on horses racing along the bank. You recognize them as Border Rangers, the regiment of the King<ch.apos/>s Army that police the western borders. One of them is wounded and is slumped over the neck of his horse.</p>
1545       <p>Close behind follow a pack of twenty Doomwolves. Their Giak riders are firing arrows at the rangers which fall all around them. One ranger drops from his horse and rolls down the river bank, a black arrow deeply embedded in his right leg.</p>
1546       <choice idref="sect260">If you wish to help the ranger, <link-text>turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
1547       <choice idref="sect163">If you wish to stay hidden and drift downstream, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
1548      </data>
1549     </section>
1550
1551     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1552      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1553
1554      <data>
1555       <p>The Gem feels very hot and burns your hand. Lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. You quickly grab it with the edge of your cloak and slip this Vordak Gem into your Backpack. A Gem that size must be worth hundreds of Crowns! You smile at your good fortune, mount your horse, and ride off along the south track.</p>
1556       <illustration class="inline">
1557        <meta>
1558         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1559        </meta>
1560        <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1561        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1562        <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1563       </illustration>
1564       <choice idref="sect118"><link-text>Turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1565      </data>
1566     </section>
1567
1568     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1569      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1570
1571      <data>
1572       <p>The Mountain Giaks are unaccustomed to pursuing their prey through forests and you soon outdistance them, until finally the sound of their grunts and curses disappears completely.</p>
1573       <p>When you are satisfied that they have given up the chase, you stop for a few minutes to catch your breath and check your equipment. With the memory of your ruined monastery still blazing in your mind, you gather up your meagre belongings and push on.</p>
1574       <choice idref="sect19"><link-text>Turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
1575      </data>
1576     </section>
1577
1578     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1579      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1580
1581      <data>
1582       <p>As the caravan careers past, you leap for the tailboard and manage to hold fast. Pulling yourself upright, you find that you are standing on the bottom rung of a ladder leading to the rear door of the wagon. Suddenly the top half of the door flies open and you are confronted by the angry face of a bodyguard.</p>
1583       <choice idref="sect132">If you decide to inform him that you are a Kai Lord with an urgent message for the King, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
1584       <choice idref="sect12">If you decide to offer him Gold Crowns for safe passage to the capital, <link-text>turn to 12</link-text>.</choice>
1585       <choice idref="sect220">If you decide to attack the guard with your weapon, <link-text>turn to 220</link-text>.</choice>
1586      </data>
1587     </section>
1588
1589     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1590      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1591
1592      <data>
1593       <p>You come to a small footbridge across a fast-flowing stream. On the other side of the bridge the path turns south. You cross the bridge and follow the path.</p>
1594       <choice idref="sect204"><link-text>Turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
1595      </data>
1596     </section>
1597
1598     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1599      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1600
1601      <data>
1602       <p>You stumble backwards through the front door, clutching your burnt chest with both hands. Smoke is billowing from the shop and you must run<ch.emdash/>before the Sage or his robber son catch you.</p>
1603       <p>You make it back to the main street and lose yourself in the rush of the crowds.</p>
1604       <choice idref="sect7"><link-text>Turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1605      </data>
1606     </section>
1607
1608     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1609      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1610
1611      <data>
1612       <p>After nearly an hour, the Kraan and their cruel riders vanish towards the west. As the shocked refugees start to emerge from the woods, you can hear the sound of horses in the distance galloping nearer. You stay hidden and wait as the riders come closer. They are the cavalry of the King<ch.apos/>s Guard wearing the white uniforms of His Majesty<ch.apos/>s army.</p>
1613       <illustration class="inline">
1614        <meta>
1615         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1616        </meta>
1617        <instance class="html" src="6.png" width="320" height="228"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1618        <instance class="html-compatible" src="6.gif" width="320" height="228"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1619        <instance class="pdf" src="6.pdf" width="320" height="228" />
1620       </illustration>
1621       <illustration class="inline">
1622        <meta>
1623         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1624        </meta>
1625        <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1626        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1627        <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1628       </illustration>
1629       <choice idref="sect183">If you wish to call to them, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
1630       <choice idref="sect200">If you would rather continue along the forest edge towards the south, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
1631      </data>
1632     </section>
1633
1634     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1635      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1636
1637      <data>
1638       <p>The giant Gourgaz lies dead at your feet. His evil followers hiss at you and then fall back from the bridge. The Prince<ch.apos/>s soldiers form a protective wall around you and their dying leader with their shields. Black arrows whistle past your head.</p>
1639       <p>The dying Prince looks up into your eyes and says, <quote>Kai Lord, you must take a message to my father. The enemy is too strong, we cannot hold him. The King must seek that which is in Durenor or all is lost. Take my horse and ride for the capital. May the luck of the gods ride with you.</quote></p>
1640       <illustration class="inline">
1641        <meta>
1642         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1643        </meta>
1644        <instance class="html" src="82.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1645        <instance class="html-compatible" src="82.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1646        <instance class="pdf" src="82.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
1647       </illustration>
1648       <p>You bid a sad farewell to the Prince, mount his white steed, and head south along the forest path. The battle still rages behind you as the Prince<ch.apos/>s men fight off another assault on the bridge.</p>
1649       <choice idref="sect235"><link-text>Turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
1650      </data>
1651     </section>
1652
1653     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1654      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1655
1656      <data>
1657       <p>You have run about a mile when three soldiers appear from beneath a small footbridge. They demand that you halt and drop your weapons and equipment.</p>
1658       <p>They are bloodstained and unshaven. Their leader is wearing the tunic of a soldier of the Toran garrison.</p>
1659       <choice idref="sect45">If you possess the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
1660       <choice idref="sect205">If you wish to do as they say, <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1661       <choice idref="sect180">If you wish to prepare to fight them, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
1662       <choice idref="sect232">If you demand to know what they want, <link-text>turn to 232</link-text>.</choice>
1663      </data>
1664     </section>
1665
1666     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1667      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1668
1669      <data>
1670       <p>Just as you feel the air beating on your back, you slip free of your horse and roll over<ch.emdash/>landing with a splash in a muddy ditch by the side of the highway.</p>
1671       <p>You are uninjured, and you quickly scramble to your feet and make a dash for the cover of the trees<ch.emdash/>but with thirty yards left to run, you see the Kraan circling above for another dive.</p>
1672       <choice idref="sect188"><link-text>Turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1673      </data>
1674     </section>
1675
1676     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1677      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1678
1679      <data>
1680       <p>The path is wide and leads straight into thick undergrowth. The trees are tall here and unusually quiet. You walk for over a mile when suddenly you hear the beating of large wings directly above you. Looking up, you are shocked to see the sinister black outline of a Kraan diving to attack you.</p>
1681       <choice idref="sect229">If you draw your weapon and prepare to fight, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
1682       <choice idref="sect99">If you evade the attack by running south, deeper into the forest, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
1683      </data>
1684     </section>
1685
1686     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1687      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1688
1689      <data>
1690       <p>You soon reach another crossroads.</p>
1691       <choice idref="sect6">If you wish to journey east, <link-text>turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
1692       <choice idref="sect35">If you wish to head north, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
1693       <choice idref="sect167">If you prefer to go south, <link-text>turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
1694       <choice idref="sect42">Or if you wish to turn west, <link-text>turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
1695      </data>
1696     </section>
1697
1698     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1699      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1700
1701      <data>
1702       <p>Focusing your powers on the lock, you try to visualize the inner mechanism. Gradually its image appears in your mind<ch.apos/>s eye. It is old and corroded but it still functions. You are in danger of losing your concentration when a subtle <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> confirms that your effort has not been in vain.</p>
1703       <p>The pin is an easier task. Slowly it rises out of the lock and falls to the floor. The granite door swings towards you on hidden hinges and the grey half-light of the Graveyard floods into the tomb. The exit is overgrown with graveweed and you suffer many small cuts to your face and hands as you fight your way through to the surface. You are startled by a sudden noise. You turn to see the disembodied head of a corpse laughing at you.</p>
1704       <p>In blind panic, you race through the eerie necropolis towards the southern gate.</p>
1705       <choice idref="sect61"><link-text>Turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
1706      </data>
1707     </section>
1708
1709     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1710      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1711
1712      <data>
1713       <p>You cautiously peer around the rock to see a soldier lying on his back. By his side is a Spear and shield. On the shield is the painting of a white pegasus<ch.emdash/>the Prince of Sommerlund<ch.apos/>s emblem. He is one of the Prince<ch.apos/>s soldiers, and he is only just conscious. His uniform is badly torn, and you can see that he has a deep wound in his left arm. As you move nearer, his eyes flicker open. <quote>Heal me, my lord,</quote> he begs. <quote>I can barely feel my arm.</quote></p>
1714       <choice idref="sect216">If you possess and wish to use the Kai Discipline of Healing on this man, <link-text>turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
1715       <choice idref="sect31">If you do not possess the skill, or if you do not want to use it, then <link-text>turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
1716      </data>
1717     </section>
1718
1719     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1720      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1721
1722      <data>
1723       <p>In a cloud of dust and loose rocks you career down the steep hillside. The Kraan is still circling above as if waiting to direct the Giaks after you.</p>
1724       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1725       <choice idref="sect53">If you have picked 0<ch.endash/>1, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
1726       <choice idref="sect274">If it is 2<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
1727       <choice idref="sect316">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 316</link-text>.</choice>
1728      </data>
1729     </section>
1730
1731     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1732      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1733
1734      <data>
1735       <p>Night falls and you are soon engulfed in total darkness. To press on would be useless, for you would be sure to lose your way. Tethering your horse to a tree, you pull your green Kai cloak about you and fall into a restless sleep.</p>
1736       <choice idref="sect18"><link-text>Turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1737      </data>
1738     </section>
1739
1740     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1741      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1742
1743      <data>
1744       <p>The small shop is dark and musty. Books and bottles of every size and colour fill the many shelves. As you close the door, a small black dog begins to yap at you. A bald man appears from behind a large screen and bids you welcome. He politely enquires as to the nature of your visit and offers you a choice of his wares from the glass counter.</p>
1745       <illustration class="inline">
1746        <meta>
1747         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1748        </meta>
1749        <instance class="html" src="91.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1750        <instance class="html-compatible" src="91.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1751        <instance class="pdf" src="91.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
1752       </illustration>
1753       <illustration class="inline">
1754        <meta>
1755         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1756        </meta>
1757        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1758        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1759        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1760       </illustration>
1761       <choice idref="sect198">If you have the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 198</link-text>.</choice>
1762       <choice idref="sect152">If you wish to look at his wares, <link-text>turn to 152</link-text>.</choice>
1763       <choice idref="sect7">If you would rather decline his offer and return to the street, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1764      </data>
1765     </section>
1766
1767     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1768      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1769
1770      <data>
1771       <p>You dive for cover not a moment too soon, for a hail of black arrows scream out of the woods and bombard the area where you were standing seconds before. Pulling your cloak around you to blend into the dense bracken, you dash through the forest and away from the hidden ambushers as fast as possible. This entire area is infested by Giaks and you must escape as quickly as you can. You run without rest for over an hour until you happen to fall upon a straight forest path heading towards the east. You follow the path, taking care to keep watch for signs of the enemy.</p>
1772       <choice idref="sect13"><link-text>Turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1773      </data>
1774     </section>
1775
1776     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1777      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1778
1779      <data>
1780       <p>You turn and run for the stairs just as a large block falls with a crash behind you. The room you were in has been completely sealed off. As you escape into the daylight, you glimpse behind you the crooked figure of an old druid as he raises his staff. A second later, a bolt of lightning explodes at your feet. You do not stop but run headlong down the hill, cursing the delay but thankful for your Sixth Sense.</p>
1781       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1782      </data>
1783     </section>
1784
1785     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1786      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1787
1788      <data>
1789       <p>The Sage, seeing that you have killed his son, turns and runs from the shop by a back door.</p>
1790       <p>You find 12 Gold Crowns in the robber<ch.apos/>s purse and another 4 Gold Crowns in a wooden box under the counter. Carefully examining the potions and the wand you soon realize that they are all cheap counterfeits. In fact the entire shop is full of imitations. You shake your head and return to the main street.</p>
1791       <choice idref="sect7"><link-text>Turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1792      </data>
1793     </section>
1794
1795     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1796      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1797
1798      <data>
1799       <p>You soon stumble upon a narrow forest track running from north to south.</p>
1800       <choice idref="sect240">If you wish to set off along the track towards the north, <link-text>turn to 240</link-text>.</choice>
1801       <choice idref="sect5">If you wish to go south instead, <link-text>turn to 5</link-text>.</choice>
1802      </data>
1803     </section>
1804
1805     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1806      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1807
1808      <data>
1809       <p>Holding your breath, you tighten your grip on your weapon and prepare to strike. The tension is unbearable<ch.emdash/>the Giaks are so close that the foul stench of their unwashed bodies fills your nostrils. You hear them curse in their strange alien tongue and then leave the ledge and start to scramble towards the peak. When you are sure they have gone, you finally exhale and wipe the sweat from your eyes.</p>
1810       <choice idref="sect33">If you wish to explore the cave further, <link-text>turn to 33</link-text>.</choice>
1811       <choice idref="sect248">If you wish to leave the cave and descend the hill in case the Giaks return, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
1812      </data>
1813     </section>
1814
1815     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1816      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1817
1818      <data>
1819       <p>Ahead of you, you can see a fierce battle raging across a stone bridge. The clash of steel and the cries of men and beasts echo through the forest. In the midst of the fighting, you see Prince Pelathar, the King<ch.apos/>s son. He is in combat with a large grey Gourgaz who is wielding a black axe above his scaly head. Suddenly, the Prince falls wounded<ch.emdash/>a black arrow in his side.</p>
1820       <illustration class="float">
1821        <meta>
1822         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1823        </meta>
1824        <instance class="html" src="97.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1825        <instance class="html-compatible" src="97.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1826        <instance class="pdf" src="97.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
1827       </illustration>
1828       <illustration class="float">
1829        <meta>
1830         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1831         <description>The clash of steel and the cries of men and beasts echo through the forest.</description>
1832        </meta>
1833        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="692"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1834        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="692"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1835        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="692" />
1836       </illustration>
1837       <choice idref="sect255">If you wish to defend the fallen Prince, <link-text>turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
1838       <choice idref="sect306">If you wish to run into the forest, <link-text>turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1839      </data>
1840     </section>
1841
1842     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1843      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1844
1845      <data>
1846       <p>The guards seem to believe your story and bow with respect to your rank of Kai Lord. One of them pulls a concealed bell-rope and the huge doors start to swing open. They usher you inside and you hear the doors close behind you.</p>
1847       <choice idref="sect139"><link-text>Turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1848      </data>
1849     </section>
1850
1851     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1852      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1853
1854      <data>
1855       <p>You dive into the undergrowth just as the beast screams past your head. You quickly look back to see the Kraan turning in the air in preparation for another dive. You scramble to your feet and run deeper into the safety of the forest.</p>
1856       <choice idref="sect222"><link-text>Turn to 222</link-text>.</choice>
1857      </data>
1858     </section>
1859
1860     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1861      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1862
1863      <data>
1864       <p>The cold corridor suddenly makes an abrupt turning towards the east. You notice a greenish glow that lights the tunnel in the far distance. As you creep nearer you can see that the corridor opens out into a larger chamber.</p>
1865       <p>The strange light seems to emanate from a large bowl resting upon the top of a granite throne. On a plinth in front of the throne stands a statue. It looks like a winged serpent curved in the shape of an <quote>S</quote>.</p>
1866       <illustration class="inline">
1867        <meta>
1868         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1869        </meta>
1870        <instance class="html" src="100.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1871        <instance class="html-compatible" src="100.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1872        <instance class="pdf" src="100.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
1873       </illustration>
1874       <choice idref="sect161">If you wish to sit on the throne, <link-text>turn to 161</link-text>.</choice>
1875       <choice idref="sect133">If you wish to examine the statue, <link-text>turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
1876       <choice idref="sect257">If you wish to look for an exit from this chamber, <link-text>turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
1877      </data>
1878     </section>
1879
1880     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1881      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1882
1883      <data>
1884       <p>The noise of battle soon fades behind you but the ensuing silence is broken by a voice in your head that accuses you of being a coward, and deserting a fellow human in danger. You try to rid yourself of your nagging conscience by telling yourself that your mission is far more important, and that not only is the life of the young magician in peril but the lives of all your countrymen depend on you reaching the capital alive.</p>
1885       <p>Suddenly, the sight of a Giak war party in the distance makes you quickly take cover and hide. But it is too late<ch.emdash/>they have spotted you and you must run as fast as you can.</p>
1886       <choice idref="sect281"><link-text>Turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1887      </data>
1888     </section>
1889
1890     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1891      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1892
1893      <data>
1894       <p>As you descend the rocky slope towards the Graveyard of the Ancients, you are aware of a strange mist and cloud that swirls all around this grey and forbidding place, blocking the sun and covering the Graveyard in a perpetual gloom. A chill creeps forward to greet your approach.</p>
1895       <illustration class="float">
1896        <meta>
1897         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
1898        </meta>
1899        <instance class="html" src="102.png" width="288" height="520"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1900        <instance class="html-compatible" src="102.gif" width="288" height="520"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1901        <instance class="pdf" src="102.pdf" width="288" height="520" />
1902       </illustration>
1903       <p>With a feeling of deep dread, you enter the eerie necropolis.</p>
1904       <choice idref="sect284"><link-text>Turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
1905      </data>
1906     </section>
1907
1908     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1909      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1910
1911      <data>
1912       <p>The overgrown path leads to a junction where another track branches off towards the east.</p>
1913       <choice idref="sect13">If you wish to take this path, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1914       <choice idref="sect287">If you would rather continue towards the northeast, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
1915      </data>
1916     </section>
1917
1918     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1919      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1920
1921      <data>
1922       <p>The walls are dank and slimy. The stale air chokes you and cobwebs brush across your face. You can feel panic grip your stomach, as the tunnel gets darker and darker.</p>
1923       <p>You reach a junction where the tunnel meets a corridor leading from north to south.</p>
1924       <choice idref="sect26">If you wish to turn north, <link-text>go to 26</link-text>.</choice>
1925       <choice idref="sect100">If you wish to go south, <link-text>turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1926      </data>
1927     </section>
1928
1929     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1930      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1931
1932      <data>
1933       <p>In the distance, perched on the branch of an old oak tree is a jet-black raven.</p>
1934       <illustration class="inline">
1935        <meta>
1936         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
1937        </meta>
1938        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1939        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1940        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1941       </illustration>
1942       <choice idref="sect298">If you have the Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship, you may call to this bird by <link-text>turning to 298</link-text>.</choice>
1943       <choice idref="sect335">If you do not possess this skill, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1944      </data>
1945     </section>
1946
1947     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1948      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1949
1950      <data>
1951       <p>Eventually you come to the edge of a fast-flowing icy stream. The white water cascades over the mossy rocks and disappears towards the east.</p>
1952       <choice idref="sect263">If you wish to follow the stream to the east, <link-text>turn to 263</link-text>.</choice>
1953       <choice idref="sect334">If you would rather explore upstream, <link-text>turn to 334</link-text>.</choice>
1954      </data>
1955     </section>
1956
1957     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1958      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1959
1960      <data>
1961       <p>Running across the room, you lash out at the skulls, smashing them to fragments. You notice that inside each skull is a bubbling grey jelly that seems to writhe and change its shape, sprouting bat-like wings and suckers from its glistening form. In horror and loathing, you race for the exit corridor and escape just as a heavy portcullis falls with a crash, completely sealing off the chamber.</p>
1962       <choice idref="sect23"><link-text>Turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1963      </data>
1964     </section>
1965
1966     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1967      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1968
1969      <data>
1970       <p>You fly in an arc through the air towards the opposite roof. Everything seems to be happening in slow motion. You see the teeming crowds below in the street, and a nest of callysparrows in the eaves of a roof to your right. You hear their startled cries as you land with a crash on the other side. But it is the last sound that you will ever hear. The tiles splinter and collapse and you fall through the four floors of the <quote>Green Slipper Inn</quote> breaking your back in several places.</p>
1971       <deadend>Your mission and your life end here.</deadend>
1972      </data>
1973     </section>
1974
1975     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1976      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1977
1978      <data>
1979       <p>The only thing under the carpet is dirt!</p>
1980       <choice idref="sect164">You may take a closer look at the bottles by <link-text>turning to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1981       <choice idref="sect308">Or you can leave the room and investigate the stable by <link-text>turning to 308</link-text>.</choice>
1982      </data>
1983     </section>
1984
1985     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1986      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1987
1988      <data>
1989       <p>You quickly take aim and hurl the rock at the Giak<ch.apos/>s head as hard as you can, but to your horror the creature ducks and the rock arcs harmlessly over its back. You must act immediately to save the wizard.</p>
1990       <choice idref="sect55"><link-text>Turn to 55</link-text>.</choice>
1991      </data>
1992     </section>
1993
1994     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
1995      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
1996
1997      <data>
1998       <p>Only a few minutes after leaving the junction, you see in the distance a small log cabin and stable. On arrival you check the interior through a side window. The cabin looks deserted.</p>
1999       <choice idref="sect57">If you wish to enter the cabin, <link-text>turn to 57</link-text>.</choice>
2000       <choice idref="sect308">If you wish to search the stable, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
2001      </data>
2002     </section>
2003
2004     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
2005      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
2006
2007      <data>
2008       <p>Suddenly, the large rock you are hiding behind is rolled aside and you are faced by two snarling Giaks intent on your death. The cave mouth is a narrow entrance and you can only fight the Giaks one at a time.</p>
2009       <illustration class="inline">
2010        <meta>
2011         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2012        </meta>
2013        <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2014        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2015        <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2016       </illustration>
2017       <combat><enemy>Giak 1</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">13</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
2018       <combat><enemy>Giak 2</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
2019       <choice idref="sect33">If you win, you may explore the cave further by <link-text>turning to 33</link-text>.</choice>
2020       <choice idref="sect248">Or you may leave and descend the hill. <link-text>Turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
2021      </data>
2022     </section>
2023
2024     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2025      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2026
2027      <footnotes>
2028       <footnote id="sect113-1-foot" idref="sect113-1">
2029        <p>Each Meal of Laumspur may be consumed when prompted for a Meal, in which case it fulfils the Meal requirement in addition to restoring 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Laumspur may also be consumed at any other time to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> without having any significance as a Meal.</p>
2030       </footnote>
2031      </footnotes>
2032
2033      <data>
2034       <p>You have been walking for over half an hour when your eye is caught by some bright red flowers growing near to a mossy bank. You recognize the plants to be Laumspur, a rare and beautiful herb much prized for its healing properties.</p>
2035       <illustration class="inline">
2036        <meta>
2037         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2038        </meta>
2039        <instance class="html" src="113.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2040        <instance class="html-compatible" src="113.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2041        <instance class="pdf" src="113.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
2042       </illustration>
2043       <p>Kneeling down, you pick a handful of Laumspur and place it in your Backpack. You may eat this herb to regain lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Each Meal of Laumspur will restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, and you have gathered enough for two such Meals.<footref id="sect113-1" idref="sect113-1-foot"/> Closing your pack, you continue your mission.</p>
2044       <choice idref="sect347">If you wish to head northeast, <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2045       <choice idref="sect295">If you wish to head east, <link-text>turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
2046      </data>
2047     </section>
2048
2049     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2050      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2051
2052      <data>
2053       <p>You coax the horse to lie down and begin to cover him and yourself with branches and dead leaves. You hear the wings of the Kraan as it passes over the trees. It returns and circles above you, but soon retreats back across the lake.</p>
2054       <p>You decide to leave now, in case it returns with some of its friends.</p>
2055       <choice idref="sect239"><link-text>Turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
2056      </data>
2057     </section>
2058
2059     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2060      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2061
2062      <data>
2063       <p>You stumble into the first building and fall to the floor exhausted. You can smell cooked meat. You notice a small cauldron hanging over the embers of a dying fire, and a large oak table that has been set for a meal. Whoever lived here must have left in a great hurry this very morning. There is water in a jug and a loaf of fresh bread on the table.</p>
2064       <illustration class="inline">
2065        <meta>
2066         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2067        </meta>
2068        <instance class="html" src="small10.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2069        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small10.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2070        <instance class="pdf" src="small10.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2071       </illustration>
2072       <choice idref="sect150">If you decide to take a quick Meal, <link-text>turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
2073       <choice idref="sect177">If you decide to search the building, <link-text>turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
2074       <choice idref="sect83">If you would rather leave now and continue your run, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
2075      </data>
2076     </section>
2077
2078     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2079      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2080
2081      <data>
2082       <p>As you climb out of the muddy water, black arrows fall all around you. Quickly, you dash for the cover of the trees and wait for the Giaks to leave the opposite bank, before continuing on foot towards the capital.</p>
2083       <choice idref="sect321"><link-text>Turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
2084      </data>
2085     </section>
2086
2087     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2088      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2089
2090      <data>
2091       <p>The man is badly injured and near to death. If you have the Kai Discipline of Healing, you may ease the pain of his wounds but he has been so seriously hurt he is beyond repair by your skills alone. He soon lapses into unconsciousness. You try to make him as comfortable as possible beneath a large forest oak, before leaving and pressing on through the thick woodland towards the northeast.</p>
2092       <choice idref="sect330"><link-text>Turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
2093      </data>
2094     </section>
2095
2096     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2097      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2098
2099      <data>
2100       <p>You spur your horse to a gallop and race down the long straight path. In the far distance you can just make out the silhouette of Holmgard on the horizon, its high walls and tall spires glinting in the morning sun. Your path joins a highway running from north to south. It is the main turnpike road between the northern port of Toran and the capital. You set off towards Holmgard, your eyes peeled for Kraan in the clear morning sky.</p>
2101       <choice idref="sect224"><link-text>Turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
2102      </data>
2103     </section>
2104
2105     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2106      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2107
2108      <data>
2109       <p>The gallowbrush tears your cloak and scratches deep into your arms and legs as you slowly force your way through. Fifteen minutes later you emerge from the briars and stagger onwards between the trees.</p>
2110       <p>Deduct 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points from your current score for the wounds you have sustained.</p>
2111       <p>You feel a little dizzy as you push on, and your eyelids seem very heavy. You suddenly find yourself at the edge of a steep wooded slope.</p>
2112       <choice idref="sect226">If you wish to slide down the slope as carefully as you can, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
2113       <choice idref="sect38">If you do not feel that you are up to the risk of this tricky descent in your present sleepy state, walk around the edge of the ridge by <link-text>turning to 38</link-text>.</choice>
2114      </data>
2115     </section>
2116
2117     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2118      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2119
2120      <data>
2121       <p>Behind you can hear the blood-crazy Giaks killing the caravan horses. You risk a quick glance over your shoulder and see a Kraan start to climb high into the air. Will it attack you or is it interested in something else? The dark shadow that is gradually getting larger all around you tells you that you are its intended victim. The Kraan is diving full speed at you!</p>
2122       <choice idref="sect84">If you wait until it is about to strike and then jump from the saddle, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
2123       <choice idref="sect171">If you head as fast as you can for the trees, <link-text>turn to 171</link-text>.</choice>
2124       <choice idref="sect54">If you put your head down, pray to the heavens for good luck and gallop on regardless, <link-text>turn to 54</link-text>.</choice>
2125      </data>
2126     </section>
2127
2128     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2129      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2130
2131      <data>
2132       <p>After a few minutes walking you see a stranger, clad in red, standing in the centre of the track ahead. He has his back towards you, and his head is covered by the hood of his robes. Perched on his outstretched arm is the black raven that you saw earlier.</p>
2133       <illustration class="float">
2134        <meta>
2135         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2136        </meta>
2137        <instance class="html" src="121.png" width="386" height="520"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2138        <instance class="html-compatible" src="121.gif" width="386" height="520"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2139        <instance class="pdf" src="121.pdf" width="386" height="520" />
2140       </illustration>
2141       <illustration class="float">
2142        <meta>
2143         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2144         <description>Perched on his outstretched arm is the black raven that you saw earlier.</description>
2145        </meta>
2146        <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="678"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2147        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="678"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2148        <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="678" />
2149       </illustration>
2150       <choice idref="sect342">If you wish to call the stranger, <link-text>turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
2151       <choice idref="sect309">If you wish to approach the stranger cautiously, <link-text>turn to 309</link-text>.</choice>
2152       <choice idref="sect283">If you would rather draw your weapon and attack, <link-text>turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
2153      </data>
2154     </section>
2155
2156     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2157      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2158
2159      <data>
2160       <p>Immediately the horse senses your communication. He calms down. You walk towards the beautiful animal and stroke his head reassuringly. You sense that he is frightened and confused. Mounting him, you lead him off to the path and head south once again.</p>
2161       <choice idref="sect206"><link-text>Turn to 206</link-text>.</choice>
2162      </data>
2163     </section>
2164
2165     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2166      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2167
2168      <data>
2169       <p>As the creature dies, its body slowly dissolves into a vile green liquid. You notice that all of the grass and the plants beneath the smoking fluid are beginning to shrivel and die. A large valuable looking Gem lies on the ground near to the decaying body.</p>
2170       <p>Further along the track you can see a large war party of Giaks running towards you.</p>
2171       <choice idref="sect304">If you wish to take the Gem, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
2172       <choice idref="sect2">If you would rather leave it and run, <link-text>turn to 2</link-text>.</choice>
2173      </data>
2174     </section>
2175
2176     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2177      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2178
2179      <data>
2180       <p>Inside the box you find 15 Gold Crowns and a Silver Key. If you wish to keep the key, remember to mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2181       <choice idref="sect211">You can continue to investigate the tunnel by <link-text>turning to 211</link-text>.</choice>
2182       <choice idref="sect106">Or you may leave and descend the hill by <link-text>turning to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2183      </data>
2184     </section>
2185
2186     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2187      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2188
2189      <data>
2190       <p>The path opens out into a large clearing. You notice strange claw prints in the earth. Kraan have landed here. By the number of prints and by the size of the area disturbed, you judge that at least five of the foul creatures landed here in the last twelve hours.</p>
2191       <p>You see two exits on the far side of the clearing. One leads west, the other south.</p>
2192       <choice idref="sect301">If you have the Kai Discipline of Tracking, <link-text>turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
2193       <choice idref="sect27">If you wish to take the south path, <link-text>turn to 27</link-text>.</choice>
2194       <choice idref="sect214">If you wish to take the west path, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
2195      </data>
2196     </section>
2197
2198     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2199      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2200
2201      <data>
2202       <p>You ride deeper and deeper into the forest. Silently you thank the Prince for such a fine horse, for although the ground is a tangle of briars and roots, he never once falters. The Doomwolves are soon left far behind and you bring your horse to a halt. The light has faded fast and it is almost night.</p>
2203       <choice idref="sect46">If you wish to press on ahead, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
2204       <choice idref="sect143">If you wish to bear left (the same direction as the path you left far behind) then <link-text>turn to 143</link-text>.</choice>
2205      </data>
2206     </section>
2207
2208     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2209      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2210
2211      <data>
2212       <p>After an hour of marching, the Drakkarim suddenly halt as a large, grey scaly creature approaches along the track. As the beast draws closer, you can smell its fetid breath on your face. It lets out a roar and grabs your head in its powerful webbed hands. The last thing you hear is the sharp crack of your spine snapping.</p>
2213       <deadend>Your quest ends here.</deadend>
2214      </data>
2215     </section>
2216
2217     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2218      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2219
2220      <data>
2221       <p>Carefully parting the dense foliage, you are horrified by the sight that meets you. In a small clearing ahead, three Giaks have tied a man to a wooden stake and are setting fire to a mass of brushwood bundled at his feet. You recognize his tunic as that of a Border Ranger, one of the King<ch.apos/>s men who police the kingdom near the Durncrag Mountains of the west. He has been badly beaten and is nearly unconscious.</p>
2222       <choice idref="sect297">If you have the Kai Discipline of Hunting, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
2223       <choice idref="sect336">If you do not, you must attack the Giaks now in order to save the ranger<ch.apos/>s life. <link-text>Turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
2224      </data>
2225     </section>
2226
2227     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2228      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2229
2230      <data>
2231       <p>You reach the main gates of the capital, and stare in awe at the height of the city<ch.apos/>s walls. Two hundred feet high, the walls of Holmgard have withstood the ravages of both time and the Darklords. You and the officer race through the tunnel of the inner gatehouse, one hundred yards in length, and finally halt outside the doorway of the main watchtower. Great crowds of soldiers and civilians are running to and fro.</p>
2232       <choice idref="sect3">If you wish to continue following the officer, <link-text>turn to 3</link-text>.</choice>
2233       <choice idref="sect144">If you feel that you stand a better chance of making your way to the King<ch.apos/>s citadel on your own, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
2234      </data>
2235     </section>
2236
2237     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2238      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2239
2240      <data>
2241       <p>You soon reach a small clearing in the woods. A bench, carved from a fallen tree is set in the centre of the clearing. You are hungry and must now eat a Meal here.</p>
2242       <illustration class="inline">
2243        <meta>
2244         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2245        </meta>
2246        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2247        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2248        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2249       </illustration>
2250       <choice idref="sect28">When you have finished, if you decide to leave the clearing by the south way, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
2251       <choice idref="sect201">Or if you prefer the smaller track that leads eastwards into the forest, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
2252      </data>
2253     </section>
2254
2255     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2256      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2257
2258      <data>
2259       <p>You have covered about a quarter of a mile when you hear shouting and a noise like thunderclaps ahead. Edging nearer, you soon make out a clearing that you recognize to be the site of the ruins of Raumas, an ancient forest temple.</p>
2260       <p>A war party of Giaks, some twenty-five to thirty strong, are attacking the ruins from all sides. Many more of the Giaks are dead or dying among the broken pillars of marble, but still they assault whatever is hidden inside. Suddenly, a bolt of blue lightning rips through the front rank of Giaks sending the armour-clad creatures tumbling in all directions. A Giak, taller than the others and dressed from head to foot in black chainmail, curses at his troops as he whips them forward with a barbed flail.</p>
2261       <p>With weapon ready, you move to the edge of the clearing, under cover of the thick foliage, and try to catch a glimpse of the defenders. To your amazement, the ruins are being defended by a young man no older than yourself. You recognize his sky-blue robes, embroidered with stars. He is a young theurgist of the Magicians<ch.apos/> Guild of Toran: an apprentice in magic.</p>
2262       <illustration class="float">
2263        <meta>
2264         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2265        </meta>
2266        <instance class="html" src="131.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2267        <instance class="html-compatible" src="131.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2268        <instance class="pdf" src="131.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
2269       </illustration>
2270       <illustration class="float">
2271        <meta>
2272         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2273         <description>A young theurgist of the Magicians<ch.apos/> Guild of Toran.</description>
2274        </meta>
2275        <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="676"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2276        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="676"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2277        <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="676" />
2278       </illustration>
2279       <p>Five Giaks charge forward, their spears raised to stab the apprentice as he hurriedly retreats deeper into the ruins. You see him turn and raise his left hand just before a bolt of blue flame shoots from his fingertips into the snarling Giak soldiers. Close to where you are hidden, you see a Giak scuttle past and climb one of the pillars of the temple. He has a long curved dagger in his mouth and he is about to jump on the young wizard standing below.</p>
2280       <choice idref="sect241">If you wish to shout a warning to the wizard, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
2281       <choice idref="sect55">If you wish to run forward and attack the Giak when he jumps, <link-text>turn to 55</link-text>.</choice>
2282       <choice idref="sect302">If you wish to pick up a chunk of temple marble and throw it at the Giak<ch.apos/>s head, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
2283       <choice idref="sect101">Or if you would rather turn and leave the battle area and run back into the woods, <link-text>turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
2284      </data>
2285     </section>
2286
2287     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2288      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2289
2290      <data>
2291       <p>The bodyguard looks at you with great suspicion and slams the door. You can hear voices chattering inside the caravan. Suddenly the door swings open and the face of a wealthy merchant appears. He recognizes your Kai cloak and apologizes for his servant<ch.apos/>s behaviour.</p>
2292       <p>He says that they have been attacked several times since they left Toran: by Kraan, by bandits, and by robbers. They thought you may have been a bandit. Inside, the caravan is full of silks and spices. The merchant offers you food which you gratefully accept. After your sumptuous meal, the fatigue of your ordeal finally overcomes you and you slip into a deep sleep.</p>
2293       <choice idref="sect64"><link-text>Turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
2294      </data>
2295     </section>
2296
2297     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2298      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2299
2300      <data>
2301       <p>As you approach the statue, several cracks appear in its stone surface. It suddenly explodes before you as a real Winged Serpent breaks free of its stone mantle and attacks you.</p>
2302       <p>You must fight the creature.</p>
2303       <combat><enemy>Winged Serpent</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">18</enemy-attribute></combat> 
2304       <p>(This creature is immune to Mindblast.)</p>
2305       <choice idref="sect266">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
2306      </data>
2307     </section>
2308
2309     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2310      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2311
2312      <data>
2313       <p>Using your skills, you detect Giak tracks around the perimeter of the clearing. The prints are fresh and you can tell that these cruel minions of the Darklords were in this area less than two hours ago.</p>
2314       <choice idref="sect305">Forewarned by this knowledge, if you decide to investigate the huts, <link-text>turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
2315       <choice idref="sect40">If you would rather avoid the clearing, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
2316      </data>
2317     </section>
2318
2319     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2320      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2321
2322      <data>
2323       <p>Peering over the steep undercut of the river bank, you can see a tangle of driftwood along the water<ch.apos/>s edge. A large tree trunk has grounded on the clay bank next to a small canoe.</p>
2324       <illustration class="inline">
2325        <meta>
2326         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2327        </meta>
2328        <instance class="html" src="small12.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2329        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small12.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2330        <instance class="pdf" src="small12.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2331       </illustration>
2332       <choice idref="sect223">If you wish to use the log to float down the river, <link-text>turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
2333       <choice idref="sect4">If you wish to use the canoe, <link-text>turn to 4</link-text>.</choice>
2334      </data>
2335     </section>
2336
2337     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2338      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2339
2340      <data>
2341       <p>The Giaks get nearer and then crouch down as if preparing themselves to pounce. You can see the sharp serrated points of their spears and hear their low guttural speech. The larger of the two creatures screams, <foreign xml:lang="x-giak"><quote>Orgadak taag! Nogjat aga ok!</quote></foreign> and attacks you.</p>
2342       <p>You must fight each of the Giaks in turn. Add 1 point to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> during this fight, as you have the advantage of the higher ground in your favour.</p>
2343       <combat><enemy>Giak 1</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">13</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat> 
2344       <combat><enemy>Giak 2</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat> 
2345       <choice idref="sect313">If you win, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
2346      </data>
2347     </section>
2348
2349     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2350      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2351
2352      <data>
2353       <p>As the last of the foul creatures die, so the greenish light starts to fade. You notice that in each of the broken skulls lies a Gem. You take these 20 Tomb Guardian Gems before darkness engulfs the chamber. Remember to mark these on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a single Backpack Item.</p>
2354       <p>You quickly leave the dead Crypt spawn and press on.</p>
2355       <choice idref="sect23"><link-text>Turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
2356      </data>
2357     </section>
2358
2359     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2360      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2361
2362      <data>
2363       <p>You prepare your weapon and advance to meet the enemy. There are two Mountain Giaks and you must fight them one at a time.</p>
2364       <combat><enemy>Giak 1</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">13</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
2365       <combat><enemy>Giak 2</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
2366       <choice idref="sect291">If you win, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
2367      </data>
2368     </section>
2369
2370     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2371      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2372
2373      <data>
2374       <p>The inner courtyard is a bustle of activity. Cavalry scouts are waiting beside their nervous horses for messages from their unit commanders inside the Great Hall. They take orders with great speed to the defenders of the outer fieldworks. No sooner do they gallop off, than other scouts return, many of them breathless and wounded.</p>
2375       <p>You have taken less than a dozen steps across the courtyard when you hear a deep voice boom out. <quote>Stop that man!</quote></p>
2376       <choice idref="sect66"><link-text>Turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
2377      </data>
2378     </section>
2379
2380     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2381      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2382
2383      <data>
2384       <p>You are in a clearing where several trees have been cut down to make a rickety watchtower. Below the tower are three paths leading off in different directions.</p>
2385       <illustration class="float">
2386        <meta>
2387         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2388        </meta>
2389        <instance class="html" src="140.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2390        <instance class="html-compatible" src="140.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2391        <instance class="pdf" src="140.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
2392       </illustration>
2393       <choice idref="sect14">If you take the south path, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
2394       <choice idref="sect252">If you take the east path, <link-text>turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
2395       <choice idref="sect215">If you take the southwest path, <link-text>turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
2396       <choice idref="sect36">If you decide to climb the watchtower, <link-text>turn to 36</link-text>.</choice>
2397      </data>
2398     </section>
2399
2400     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2401      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2402
2403      <data>
2404       <p>Your Sixth Sense has warned you that some of the creatures that attacked the monastery are searching the two paths for any survivors of their raid, but you can avoid both tracks by making your way through the undergrowth of the woods.</p>
2405       <choice idref="sect56">If you wish to head south, <link-text>turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
2406       <choice idref="sect333">Or if you wish to cut through the heavier foliage towards the northeast, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
2407      </data>
2408     </section>
2409
2410     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2411      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2412
2413      <data>
2414       <p>You can see the tall grey-white walls and glimmering spires of Holmgard, its banners fluttering from the battlements in the fresh morning breeze. Stretching out towards the west, the River Eledil traces its course from the mountains of the Durncrag Range to the Holmgulf. But from below the mountain peaks you can see a vast black army marching relentlessly on towards the city.</p>
2415       <p>To your right you can see the highway heading off over the rolling plain towards Holmgard. At a run you could reach the outer fieldworks of the city defences in an hour, but you would be in the open for most of the time and vulnerable to attack by Kraan. However, ahead of you, a wide and muddy river drifts sluggishly towards the Eledil. You could use the cover of the river banks and swim towards the capital. Or towards your left lies the Graveyard of the Ancients. These tombs and crumbling monuments to a forgotten age would conceal your approach, but it is a forbidden area. Many are the unnamed horrors that lie there in restless sleep, waiting to consume the unwary trespasser.</p>
2416       <illustration class="inline">
2417        <meta>
2418         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2419        </meta>
2420        <instance class="html" src="small13.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2421        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small13.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2422        <instance class="pdf" src="small13.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2423       </illustration>
2424       <choice idref="sect58">If you will try your luck by the highway, <link-text>turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
2425       <choice idref="sect135">If you feel that you stand a better chance of reaching the capital via the river, then <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
2426       <choice idref="sect102">Or if you are brave enough to risk the unknown perils of the Graveyard of the Ancients, <link-text>turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
2427      </data>
2428     </section>
2429
2430     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2431      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2432
2433      <data>
2434       <p>You soon emerge from the woods onto a main highway. You recognize it as being the main road between the port of Toran in the north and the capital in the south. Spurring your horse on, you estimate you will reach the capital by morning.</p>
2435       <choice idref="sect149"><link-text>Turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
2436      </data>
2437     </section>
2438
2439     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2440      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2441
2442      <data>
2443       <p>You fight your way through the press of bodies along the main street towards the citadel in the distance. City folk are rushing to and fro in the grip of panic, as the cries of Kraan are heard circling high above.</p>
2444       <p>In the crush, one item is stolen from your Backpack. If you no longer have a Backpack or if you have no Backpack Items, you lose a Weapon. Remember to take this off your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2445       <p>A runaway horse and cart career past and knock you into a doorway. You are stunned and you lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. As you stagger to your feet, the door bursts open and a decrepit old man attacks you with a meat cleaver. He is quite insane and you must fight him or take evasive action.</p>
2446       <choice idref="sect63">If you choose to fight, <link-text>turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2447       <choice idref="sect217">If you wish to evade a fight, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
2448      </data>
2449     </section>
2450
2451     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2452      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2453
2454      <data>
2455       <p>You feel as if you have been run down by a cart or wagon. As you fall forward the last thing that you remember before the darkness overcomes you, is the taste of the sandy road and the terrible pain in your back.</p>
2456       <choice idref="sect165"><link-text>Turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
2457
2458
2459      </data>
2460     </section>
2461
2462     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2463      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2464
2465      <data>
2466       <p>You have ridden about a mile when you are knocked from your horse by an arrow grazing your forehead. You lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2467       <p>As you pull yourself to your feet, you see a patrol of Drakkarim emerge from the woods on either side of the road. You have been ambushed and must evade them as quickly as possible by going into the forest.</p>
2468       <choice idref="sect154"><link-text>Turn to 154</link-text>.</choice>
2469
2470
2471      </data>
2472     </section>
2473
2474     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2475      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2476
2477      <footnotes>
2478       <footnote id="sect147-1-foot" idref="sect147-1">
2479        <p>The wording of this section assumes that you have come from <a idref="sect28">Section 28</a>. If you have just reached this section for the first time from <a idref="sect42">Section 42</a>, read the last sentence and two choices as follows: <quote><ch.lellips/>As you eat you notice that the path starts to curve towards the north. If you wish to follow it, <a idref="sect28">turn to 28</a>. If you wish to return the way you have come, <a idref="sect42">turn to 42</a>.</quote></p>
2480       </footnote>
2481      </footnotes>
2482
2483      <data>
2484       <p>After a few minutes walking, you find a mossy hut set back from the path. You are hungry and must eat a Meal here or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. As you eat you notice that the path starts to curve towards the east. <footref id="sect147-1" idref="sect147-1-foot"/></p>
2485       <choice idref="sect42">If you wish to follow it, <link-text>turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
2486       <choice idref="sect28">If you wish to return the way you have come, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
2487      </data>
2488     </section>
2489
2490     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2491      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2492
2493      <data>
2494       <p>Kicking open the door, you dive into the farmhouse. A Kraan soars overhead, letting out a shriek of victory, a victim hanging in its claws. Getting to your feet, you find yourself alone. But propped against the fireplace is a Warhammer. You may take this Weapon if you wish.</p>
2495       <choice idref="sect81">If you want to stay in the farmhouse, <link-text>turn to 81</link-text>.</choice>
2496       <choice idref="sect320">If you would feel safer in the forest, you can make a dash by <link-text>turning to 320</link-text>.</choice>
2497       <choice idref="sect199">If you wish to search the room further, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
2498
2499
2500
2501      </data>
2502     </section>
2503
2504     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2505      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2506
2507      <data>
2508       <p>As you ride along the highway, you notice that light is getting worse. It will soon be completely dark<ch.emdash/>and impossible to see any dangers that may lurk ahead. You decide to hide and rest at the wood<ch.apos/>s edge until morning.</p>
2509       <p>When you are satisfied that no one can see you, you pull your warm green cloak about you and drift off into an uneasy sleep.</p>
2510       <choice idref="sect256"><link-text>Turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
2511
2512
2513
2514
2515      </data>
2516     </section>
2517
2518     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2519      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2520
2521      <data>
2522       <p>Although a little overcooked, the food tastes fine (although it is not enough for a whole Meal) and the clear water slakes your thirst. You have spent nearly half an hour resting in this house when you suddenly realize the delay.</p>
2523       <choice idref="sect83">Prepare your equipment and leave. <link-text>Turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
2524      </data>
2525     </section>
2526
2527     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2528      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2529
2530      <data>
2531       <p>If you concentrate on the keyhole, you could move the mechanism of the lock and open it. You can then make the pin levitate and free it from the lockplate, avoiding falling prey to any traps that may be set off as the door unlocks.</p>
2532       <choice idref="sect87">If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Mind Over Matter to open this lock and levitate the pin, <link-text>turn to 87</link-text>.</choice>
2533       <choice idref="sect337">If you wish to remove the pin, <link-text>turn to 337</link-text>.</choice>
2534      </data>
2535     </section>
2536
2537     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2538      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2539
2540      <data>
2541       <p>The herbalist offers you a selection of special potions. Some increase your strength; some induce invisibility; some give you great powers of stealth; and others give you the power of turning yourself into a gaseous form. The man pulls open the bottom drawer of the counter to reveal a magnificent wand. He says that it is a powerful weapon against all evil creatures, and that it will make you invulnerable in battle. He points to the mystical inscriptions which cover the black staff.</p>
2542       <illustration class="float">
2543        <meta>
2544         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2545         <description>The herbalist offers you a selection of special potions.</description>
2546        </meta>
2547        <instance class="html" src="ill10.png" width="386" height="647"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2548        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill10.gif" width="386" height="647"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2549        <instance class="pdf" src="ill10.pdf" width="386" height="647" />
2550       </illustration>
2551       <choice idref="sect49">If you wish to lean over the counter and read the strange inscriptions, <link-text>turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
2552       <choice idref="sect231">If you are more interested in the potions, <link-text>turn to 231</link-text>.</choice>
2553      </data>
2554     </section>
2555
2556     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2557      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2558
2559      <data>
2560       <p>Before you are the tall grey-white walls and glimmering spires of Holmgard, the city<ch.apos/>s banners fluttering from the battlements in the fresh morning breeze. Stretching out towards the west, the River Eledil traces its course from the mountains of the Durncrag Range to the Holmgulf. But below the mountain peaks you can see a vast black army marching relentlessly on towards the capital.</p>
2561       <illustration class="float">
2562        <meta>
2563         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2564        </meta>
2565        <instance class="html" src="153.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2566        <instance class="html-compatible" src="153.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2567        <instance class="pdf" src="153.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
2568       </illustration>
2569       <illustration class="inline">
2570        <meta>
2571         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2572        </meta>
2573        <instance class="html" src="small13.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2574        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small13.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2575        <instance class="pdf" src="small13.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2576       </illustration>
2577       <p>To your right you can see the highway heading off over the rolling plain towards Holmgard. At a gallop you could make the outer fieldworks of the city<ch.apos/>s defences in less than an hour, but you would be in the open for most of the time and vulnerable to attack by Kraan. Directly ahead of you, a wide river drifts sluggishly towards the Eledil. If you abandoned your horse, you could swim towards the outer defences under cover of the river banks. Or there is a final alternative. To your left lies the Graveyard of the Ancients. These tombs and crumbling monuments to a forgotten age would conceal your approach but it is a forbidden area. Many are the unnamed horrors that lie there in restless sleep, waiting to consume the unwary trespasser.</p>
2578       <choice idref="sect202">If you will try your luck by the highway, <link-text>turn to 202</link-text>.</choice>
2579       <choice idref="sect135">If you feel that you stand a better chance of reaching the capital via the river then <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
2580       <choice idref="sect329">Or if you are brave enough to risk the unknown perils of the Graveyard of the Ancients, <link-text>turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
2581      </data>
2582     </section>
2583
2584     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2585      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2586
2587      <data>
2588       <p>You are dizzy from your wound and you stumble through the trees like a blind man.</p>
2589       <p>Suddenly you fall forward as if the ground has been snatched from beneath your feet. You have fallen head-first into a hunting pit. As you look up, you can see four Drakkarim levelling their bows at you, evil sneers spreading simultaneously across their ugly faces.</p>
2590       <deadend>As the world darkens, the last thing you feel is the black shafts of their arrows deep in your chest. You have failed in your mission.</deadend>
2591      </data>
2592     </section>
2593
2594     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2595      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2596
2597      <data>
2598       <p>As you approach, the group of people stop talking. You can see by their expressions that they recognize your green Kai cloak. Slowly, one of the men extends his hand in friendship and says, <quote>My Lord, we had heard a rumour that the Kai were destroyed. Heaven be praised that it is not so. We feared all was lost.</quote></p>
2599       <p>You do not tell them of the destruction of the monastery, for they are refugees from Toran and have lost everything they owned. Their only hope now is that the Kai Lords will lead an army to victory. You learn that the northern port was attacked from both air and sea, and that the forces of the Darklords far outnumbered the King<ch.apos/>s brave garrison. You reassure them that Sommerlund will not fall and wish them luck on their journey ahead.</p>
2600       <choice idref="sect70"><link-text>Turn to 70</link-text>.</choice>
2601      </data>
2602     </section>
2603
2604     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2605      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2606
2607      <data>
2608       <p>Black arrows embed themselves in the mud all around you. More Giaks have appeared on the steep slope of the river bank and are firing at you. There is no cover on this side of the river.</p>
2609       <illustration class="inline">
2610        <meta>
2611         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2612        </meta>
2613        <instance class="html" src="small14.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2614        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small14.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2615        <instance class="pdf" src="small14.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2616       </illustration>
2617       <choice idref="sect294">If you wish to dive into the water and swim with the current, <link-text>turn to 294</link-text>.</choice>
2618       <choice idref="sect245">If you wish to swim across to the cover of the trees on the other bank, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
2619      </data>
2620     </section>
2621
2622     <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2623      <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2624
2625      <data>
2626       <p>The forest begins to thin out until finally you can make out a road through the trees ahead. The highway is full of people heading south. Many are wheeling their possessions along on handcarts.</p>
2627       <choice idref="sect30">If you wish to join the refugees and perhaps learn more of what has happened in the north, <link-text>turn to 30</link-text>.</choice>
2628       <choice idref="sect167">If you would prefer to continue to move south but under cover of the trees, <link-text>turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
2629      </data>
2630     </section>
2631
2632     <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2633      <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2634
2635      <data>
2636       <p>The Key fits and the lock opens. You pull back the door to find yourself face to face with a strange old man. In his right hand is a staff. Suddenly a bolt of lightning shoots from the staff and hits you square in the chest. You lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Gasping with pain, you knock the old man aside and run up the steep staircase towards daylight. You are halfway up the stairs when he fires another bolt at you.</p>
2637       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2638       <p>If the number is 0<ch.endash/>5, the bolt misses you and shatters part of the wall.</p>
2639       <p>If the number is 6<ch.endash/>9, then you have been hit in the back and lose a further 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2640       <p>If you survive, you stagger out into the daylight and curse your bad luck. It was only by an unlucky chance you discovered the secret temple of a sect of evil druids. You are very lucky to have escaped with your life. You quickly rejoin the path which now disappears over the hill.</p>
2641       <illustration class="inline">
2642        <meta>
2643         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2644        </meta>
2645        <instance class="html" src="small15.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2646        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small15.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2647        <instance class="pdf" src="small15.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2648       </illustration>
2649       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2650      </data>
2651     </section>
2652
2653     <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2654      <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2655
2656      <data>
2657       <p>Your ploy does not work, for the merchant will not allow you to enter his caravan. Suddenly he clicks his fingers and the bodyguard grasps the hilt of his scimitar.</p>
2658       <choice idref="sect191">You must fight him by <link-text>turning to 191</link-text>.</choice>
2659       <choice idref="sect234">Or you must jump clear of the speeding caravan. <link-text>Turn to 234</link-text>.</choice>
2660      </data>
2661     </section>
2662
2663     <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2664      <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2665
2666      <data>
2667       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2668       <choice idref="sect286">If it is 0<ch.endash/>4, you have been seen. <link-text>Turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2669       <choice idref="sect10">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, they do not spot you and they slowly file away along the far side of the ridge. <link-text>Turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
2670      </data>
2671     </section>
2672
2673     <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2674      <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2675
2676      <data>
2677       <p>As you sit down, the stone serpent slowly moves forward on its plinth. You suddenly break out in a cold sweat and grasp your weapon with trembling fingers in case it should attack. A red forked tongue appears from the head of this strange statue and dips into the bowl of green light above your head. Slowly the tongue re-emerges holding a Golden Key which, to your surprise, it drops into your lap. A panel in the east wall clicks open to reveal an exit.</p>
2678       <p>You take the Key and leave as quickly as possible.</p>
2679       <illustration class="inline">
2680        <meta>
2681         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2682        </meta>
2683        <instance class="html" src="small16.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2684        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small16.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2685        <instance class="pdf" src="small16.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2686       </illustration>
2687       <choice idref="sect209"><link-text>Turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
2688      </data>
2689     </section>
2690
2691     <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2692      <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2693
2694      <data>
2695       <p>As you get nearer to the men, you call to them. As they turn to face you, your skin turns cold and your heart pounds, for they are Drakkarim in disguise. Suddenly they charge at you. Forced to the ground, you are tied up with ropes and dragged behind them along a track. They take your Backpack and Weapons, but do not search your cloak or find your Gold Crowns. They cackle menacingly to themselves, and talk at great length of the tortures that await you at their camp.</p>
2696       <choice idref="sect258">If you have the Kai Discipline of Mind Over Matter, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
2697       <choice idref="sect127">If you do not have this skill, <link-text>turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
2698      </data>
2699     </section>
2700
2701     <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2702      <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2703
2704      <data>
2705       <p>After nearly half an hour you feel the current getting stronger. Looking out across the surface you can see that you are approaching a whirlpool in the middle of a large river bend. You will surely drown if caught in its current, so you quickly swim towards the right hand river bank and continue your mission on foot, carrying all your equipment.</p>
2706       <choice idref="sect321"><link-text>Turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
2707      </data>
2708     </section>
2709
2710     <section class="numbered" id="sect164">
2711      <meta><title>164</title></meta>
2712
2713      <data>
2714       <p>Carefully opening the seals on each of the bottles, you sniff at the contents. They all seem to be different types of wine. Suddenly a smaller bottle tucked behind the others catches your eye. Pulling out the glass stopper, you recognize the smell to be that of Alether, a Potion of Strength, which is orange in colour.</p>
2715       <p>You may keep this Potion and swallow it before you fight. It will increase your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 2 points for the duration of your fight. Be sure to mark it down on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> and to strike it off once you have used it.</p>
2716       <choice idref="sect308">You now decide to investigate the stable by <link-text>turning to 308</link-text>.</choice>
2717      </data>
2718     </section>
2719
2720     <section class="numbered" id="sect165">
2721      <meta><title>165</title></meta>
2722
2723      <data>
2724       <p>You awake in a fever. Images swim before your eyes and then fade completely. The pain in your back is intense and you cry out for relief. You feel a cool, damp cloth placed on your forehead and glimpse the worried face of a young woman. An old man whispers in her ear and then he disappears from view. The girl kneels at your side and comforts you with words of kindness and reassurance, but the light quickly fades and darkness engulfs you once more.</p>
2725       <choice idref="sect212"><link-text>Turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
2726      </data>
2727     </section>
2728
2729     <section class="numbered" id="sect166">
2730      <meta><title>166</title></meta>
2731
2732      <data>
2733       <p>You are in the presence of a great evil. Your mind is being probed by a powerful and timeless being and you must shield yourself. The struggle has begun and your sanity is at stake. It is a long and torturous ordeal, during which you experience many fantastic and terrible apparitions that tempt and appal you. After this you must lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and stagger towards the tunnel.</p>
2734       <choice idref="sect104"><link-text>Turn to 104</link-text>.</choice>
2735      </data>
2736     </section>
2737
2738     <section class="numbered" id="sect167">
2739      <meta><title>167</title></meta>
2740
2741      <data>
2742       <p>You have been travelling for about a mile when you notice two legs sticking out from behind a large boulder.</p>
2743       <choice idref="sect178">If you possess and wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, <link-text>turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
2744       <choice idref="sect88">If you wish to take a closer look, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
2745       <choice idref="sect264">If you would rather avoid meeting their owner and press on into the forest, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
2746      </data>
2747     </section>
2748
2749     <section class="numbered" id="sect168">
2750      <meta><title>168</title></meta>
2751
2752      <data>
2753       <p>You pull yourself to the top of the opulent caravan and nestle among the travelling cases and bags. Night will soon engulf the highway. A chill wind blows from the west and you pull your cloak around yourself to keep warm. You listen to the voices below and you can smell the mouthwatering aroma of spiced meat. It reminds you that you are very hungry and must now take a Meal.</p>
2754       <p>The fatigue of your ordeal finally catches up with you and you drift off into a restless sleep.</p>
2755       <choice idref="sect64"><link-text>Turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
2756      </data>
2757     </section>
2758
2759     <section class="numbered" id="sect169">
2760      <meta><title>169</title></meta>
2761
2762      <data>
2763       <p>As you pass each skull, it slowly turns, as if watching your every move. You are halfway across the room when you hear the sharp crack of bone splitting. Suddenly you see hideous shapes hatching inside the skulls, and stretching their wings.</p>
2764       <p>Ten slimy winged creatures attack you, and you must fight them as one enemy.</p>
2765       <combat><enemy>Crypt Spawn</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">16</enemy-attribute></combat>
2766       <choice idref="sect23">You may evade more fighting after the first round of combat and run for the archway by <link-text>turning to 23</link-text>.</choice>
2767       <choice idref="sect137">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
2768      </data>
2769     </section>
2770
2771     <section class="numbered" id="sect170">
2772      <meta><title>170</title></meta>
2773
2774      <data>
2775       <p>The tunnel is dark and the air is much cooler than outside. You carefully advance with one hand on the tunnel wall to aid your sense of direction. You have been in total darkness for three minutes when you detect the foul smell of decay ahead, similar to rotting meat. If you have a Torch and Tinderbox in your Pack, you may light the Torch to see your way ahead.</p>
2776       <p>Suddenly, something heavy drops from the tunnel ceiling onto your back and you fall to your knees. It is a Burrowcrawler and you must fight it, for it is trying to strangle you with its long slimy tentacles.</p>
2777       <illustration class="float">
2778        <meta>
2779         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2780        </meta>
2781        <instance class="html" src="170.png" width="386" height="530"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2782        <instance class="html-compatible" src="170.gif" width="386" height="530"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2783        <instance class="pdf" src="170.pdf" width="386" height="530" />
2784       </illustration>
2785       <illustration class="float">
2786        <meta>
2787         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2788         <description>It is a Burrowcrawler and it is trying to strangle you.</description>
2789        </meta>
2790        <instance class="html" src="ill11.png" width="386" height="666"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2791        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill11.gif" width="386" height="666"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2792        <instance class="pdf" src="ill11.pdf" width="386" height="666" />
2793       </illustration>
2794       <combat><enemy>Burrowcrawler</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">7</enemy-attribute></combat>
2795       <p>If you do not have a torch, deduct 3 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> during this fight. The Burrowcrawler is immune to Mindblast and Animal Kinship.</p>
2796       <choice idref="sect319">If you win, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
2797      </data>
2798     </section>
2799
2800     <section class="numbered" id="sect171">
2801      <meta><title>171</title></meta>
2802
2803      <data>
2804       <p>You are at the very edge of the wood when your horse rears up in agony. The Kraan has sunk its claws deep into the horse<ch.apos/>s hind legs and is trying to knock you to the ground with its wings. The ghoulish Giak rider squeals with delight as he stabs at you with his spear. You jump to the ground and dash for the trees, leaving the poor dying horse in the clutches of the Kraan.</p>
2805       <choice idref="sect303"><link-text>Turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
2806      </data>
2807     </section>
2808
2809     <section class="numbered" id="sect172">
2810      <meta><title>172</title></meta>
2811
2812      <data>
2813       <p>Night falls and you are soon engulfed in darkness. To press on any further would be futile, for you would be sure to lose your way. Tethering your horse to a tree, you pull your green Kai cloak about you and fall into a restless sleep.</p>
2814       <p>You are awoken by the sound of troops in the distance. Across the lake you see the black shapes of Drakkarim and a pack of Doomwolves. A Kraan appears from above the trees and lands on the roof of the small wooden shack. It is being ridden by a creature dressed in red robes. The Kraan takes off and begins to fly across the lake to where you are hidden.</p>
2815       <illustration class="float">
2816        <meta>
2817         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2818        </meta>
2819        <instance class="html" src="172.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2820        <instance class="html-compatible" src="172.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2821        <instance class="pdf" src="172.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
2822       </illustration>
2823       <choice idref="sect114">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Camouflage to hide yourself and your horse, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
2824       <choice idref="sect239">If you wish to ride deeper into the forest to escape the Kraan, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
2825       <choice idref="sect29">If you wish to prepare to fight the creature, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
2826      </data>
2827     </section>
2828
2829     <section class="numbered" id="sect173">
2830      <meta><title>173</title></meta>
2831
2832      <data>
2833       <p>As you reach the door you hear the crash of a giant stone slab as it falls from the ceiling. Turning around, you see that your exit is now blocked.</p>
2834       <choice idref="sect158">If you have a Silver Key, you may try to open the door by <link-text>turning to 158</link-text>.</choice>
2835       <choice idref="sect259">If you do not possess a Silver Key, <link-text>turn to 259</link-text>.</choice>
2836      </data>
2837     </section>
2838
2839     <section class="numbered" id="sect174">
2840      <meta><title>174</title></meta>
2841
2842      <data>
2843       <p>After nearly an hour of drifting downstream, the water current becomes quite strong and you can see that you are being drawn towards a whirlpool near the centre as the river curves round. You know that if you are caught in the swirling water, you stand very little chance of escaping a watery death. You dive into the muddy river and as you begin to swim towards the shore you unfortunately lose your Backpack and Weapons. Without your equipment, you reach the wooded bank.</p>
2844       <choice idref="sect190"><link-text>Turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
2845      </data>
2846     </section>
2847
2848     <section class="numbered" id="sect175">
2849      <meta><title>175</title></meta>
2850
2851      <data>
2852       <p>Waving your arms at the approaching cavalry, you recognize them to be Border Rangers of the King<ch.apos/>s army, tough woodsmen who police the troubled western frontier of the kingdom. Your relief at seeing them soon fades when you realize that they are fleeing from a pack of Doomwolves with snarling Giak riders. Black arrows are dropping all around the rangers, as the vicious Doomwolves get nearer and nearer.</p>
2853       <choice idref="sect182">If you possess the Kai Discipline of Camouflage, <link-text>turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
2854       <choice idref="sect41">If you wish to take cover and hide, <link-text>turn to 41</link-text>.</choice>
2855       <choice idref="sect116">If you wish to make for the other bank, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
2856      </data>
2857     </section>
2858
2859     <section class="numbered" id="sect176">
2860      <meta><title>176</title></meta>
2861
2862      <data>
2863       <p>You hide behind some thick bushes so that the Doomwolf and its rider will not see your white horse. Luckily it works<ch.emdash/>the beast lopes past and vanishes down the track that you have just come along.</p>
2864       <illustration class="inline">
2865        <meta>
2866         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2867        </meta>
2868        <instance class="html" src="small17.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2869        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small17.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2870        <instance class="pdf" src="small17.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2871       </illustration>
2872       <choice idref="sect253">If you wish to attack the remaining Doomwolves and their riders, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
2873       <choice idref="sect126">If you wish to press on deeper into the forest, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
2874      </data>
2875     </section>
2876
2877     <section class="numbered" id="sect177">
2878      <meta><title>177</title></meta>
2879
2880      <data>
2881       <p>You search all of the cupboards in the small cottage but do not find anything of use or value. You decide that you have wasted enough time here and must press on without further delay.</p>
2882       <choice idref="sect83"><link-text>Turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
2883      </data>
2884     </section>
2885
2886     <section class="numbered" id="sect178">
2887      <meta><title>178</title></meta>
2888
2889      <data>
2890       <p>Your skill enables you to recognize the boots and leggings of a King<ch.apos/>s soldier. You can sense that the man is wounded and in need of help.</p>
2891       <choice idref="sect88">If you wish to aid him, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
2892       <choice idref="sect264">If you would rather leave him here, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
2893      </data>
2894     </section>
2895
2896     <section class="numbered" id="sect179">
2897      <meta><title>179</title></meta>
2898
2899      <data>
2900       <p>You have been spotted by the guards who level their crossbows at you.</p>
2901       <choice idref="sect318">If you wish to raise your hands above your head and walk slowly towards them, <link-text>turn to 318</link-text>.</choice>
2902       <choice idref="sect51">If you wish to run for cover in the trees, <link-text>turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
2903      </data>
2904     </section>
2905
2906     <section class="numbered" id="sect180">
2907      <meta><title>180</title></meta>
2908
2909      <data>
2910       <p>They see you raise your weapon, and they instantly attack you.</p>
2911       <p>If you decide to fight them, you must fight them one at a time.</p>
2912       <combat><enemy>Leader</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">22</enemy-attribute></combat>
2913       <combat><enemy>Soldier 1</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">13</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
2914       <combat><enemy>Soldier 2</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
2915       <choice idref="sect62">If you kill all three of them, <link-text>turn to 62</link-text>.</choice>
2916       <choice idref="sect22">If you wish to evade combat, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
2917      </data>
2918     </section>
2919
2920     <section class="numbered" id="sect181">
2921      <meta><title>181</title></meta>
2922
2923      <data>
2924       <p>Instinctively you duck, and dive to avoid the crossbow bolt. The bandit fires and you feel the sleeve of your jacket tear as the missile grazes past your left arm. You thank the gods for your good fortune and sprint on.</p>
2925       <p>None of the other bandits have bows and they soon give up the chase. As you sprint off into the distance, you leave them all far behind.</p>
2926       <p>You stop just long enough to strap up your wounded arm and then continue along the road towards the outer defences of the capital.</p>
2927       <choice idref="sect288"><link-text>Turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
2928      </data>
2929     </section>
2930
2931     <section class="numbered" id="sect182">
2932      <meta><title>182</title></meta>
2933
2934      <data>
2935       <p>Three rangers gallop past the river bank, closely followed by the Giaks on their snarling mounts<ch.emdash/>the Doomwolves. But your Camouflage skill has saved you from being spotted. The pack of evil Giaks continue on their chase without even glancing at the river.</p>
2936       <choice idref="sect174"><link-text>Turn to 174</link-text>.</choice>
2937      </data>
2938     </section>
2939
2940     <section class="numbered" id="sect183">
2941      <meta><title>183</title></meta>
2942
2943      <data>
2944       <p>The officer orders his men to halt and asks you your business. You tell him who you are, and how the monastery has been destroyed. He is deeply saddened to hear your news. He offers you a horse and asks you to accompany him to Prince Pelathar, the King<ch.apos/>s son.</p>
2945       <choice idref="sect97">If you accept, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
2946       <choice idref="sect200">If you decide to decline his offer, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
2947      </data>
2948     </section>
2949
2950     <section class="numbered" id="sect184">
2951      <meta><title>184</title></meta>
2952
2953      <data>
2954       <p>The caravan is out of control and is bumping wildly through the rough ground that borders the highway. With difficulty you eventually steer the frightened horses back onto the road and halt the caravan.</p>
2955       <p>A quick search of the interior reveals 40 Gold Crowns, a Sword, and enough Food for 4 Meals. If you wish to keep any of these items, mark them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2956       <p>The fatigue of your ordeal finally catches up with you. You must eat a Meal after which you fall into a deep sleep.</p>
2957       <choice idref="sect64"><link-text>Turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
2958      </data>
2959     </section>
2960
2961     <section class="numbered" id="sect185">
2962      <meta><title>185</title></meta>
2963
2964      <data>
2965       <p>You narrow your eyes and scan the trees for some sign of the hidden archer. Your wait is not a long one, for a moment later a sharp pain tears through your chest and you are thrown back by the force of three arrows. Two of the black shafts have sunk deep into your rib cage, and the third has pierced your thigh.</p>
2966       <p>The last thing that you see is the canopy of fern trees above and a large green dragonfly as it settles on your belt buckle.</p>
2967       <deadend>Your life and your mission end here.</deadend>
2968      </data>
2969     </section>
2970
2971     <section class="numbered" id="sect186">
2972      <meta><title>186</title></meta>
2973
2974      <data>
2975       <p>The Kakarmi disappear into the dense undergrowth and you soon find yourself lost. After nearly two hours of walking you hear the sound of running water. You decide to investigate a little closer.</p>
2976       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2977      </data>
2978     </section>
2979
2980     <section class="numbered" id="sect187">
2981      <meta><title>187</title></meta>
2982
2983      <data>
2984       <p>Two furry faces appear over the top of the trunk. Both pairs of eyes stare at your weapon and the two creatures let out a shriek of fright. Leaping from the trunk, they disappear into the forest.</p>
2985       <illustration class="float">
2986        <meta>
2987         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
2988        </meta>
2989        <instance class="html" src="187.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2990        <instance class="html-compatible" src="187.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2991        <instance class="pdf" src="187.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
2992       </illustration>
2993       <illustration class="inline">
2994        <meta>
2995         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
2996        </meta>
2997        <instance class="html" src="small18.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2998        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small18.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2999        <instance class="pdf" src="small18.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
3000       </illustration>
3001       <choice idref="sect186">If you wish to follow them, <link-text>turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
3002       <choice idref="sect228">If you wish to let them go and continue, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
3003      </data>
3004     </section>
3005
3006     <section class="numbered" id="sect188">
3007      <meta><title>188</title></meta>
3008
3009      <data>
3010       <p>You can see the shadow of the Kraan getting larger all around you. It suddenly strikes, pitching you forward onto your face with the power of its attack.</p>
3011       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
3012       <p>If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>6, the Kraan has ripped away your Backpack. You have lost the Pack and all the Equipment that was inside it.</p>
3013       <p>If the number picked is 7<ch.endash/>9, your Backpack is intact but you have been wounded in both arms. Lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and run to the trees.</p>
3014       <choice idref="sect303">Now <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
3015      </data>
3016     </section>
3017
3018     <section class="numbered" id="sect189">
3019      <meta><title>189</title></meta>
3020
3021      <data>
3022       <p>You thank your Kai training and your quick thinking, for that bog could have proved as deadly as any Drakkarim or Kraan.</p>
3023       <p>You are worried about losing time, and push on further into the trees towards the south. Ahead of you, you see a wide path that also leads south.</p>
3024       <choice idref="sect118"><link-text>Turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
3025      </data>
3026     </section>
3027
3028     <section class="numbered" id="sect190">
3029      <meta><title>190</title></meta>
3030
3031      <data>
3032       <p>You walk for three miles along the water<ch.apos/>s edge until you chance upon a wrecked river barge. It appears to have served as shelter for someone, as you can see a bed and some cooking utensils through a hole in the deck.</p>
3033       <illustration class="inline">
3034        <meta>
3035         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
3036        </meta>
3037        <instance class="html" src="small19.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3038        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small19.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3039        <instance class="pdf" src="small19.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
3040       </illustration>
3041       <choice idref="sect20">If you wish to search the barge, <link-text>turn to 20</link-text>.</choice>
3042       <choice idref="sect273">If you wish to press on, <link-text>turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
3043      </data>
3044     </section>
3045
3046     <section class="numbered" id="sect191">
3047      <meta><title>191</title></meta>
3048
3049      <data>
3050       <p>The bodyguard unsheathes a large scimitar and strikes at your head.</p>
3051       <combat><enemy>Bodyguard</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">11</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">21</enemy-attribute></combat>
3052       <choice idref="sect24">If you win, <link-text>turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
3053       <choice idref="sect234">If you wish to evade more combat during the fight, you can jump from the speeding caravan by <link-text>turning to 234</link-text>.</choice>
3054      </data>
3055     </section>
3056
3057     <section class="numbered" id="sect192">
3058      <meta><title>192</title></meta>
3059
3060      <data>
3061       <p>You see the razor-fanged mouth of a Doomwolf and hear the hideous cries of the Giaks. Two of them are coming straight for you. You are saved from certain death when your horse jumps at the approaching beasts, knocking them both to the ground. You lash out at the Giak and open a large wound in his head<ch.ellips/>and then suddenly, as if by a miracle, you<ch.apos/>re through and racing on down the highway, clear of the rest of the pack.</p>
3062       <p>But a shadow follows you. It is a Kraan and it has started to dive. Its target is you.</p>
3063       <choice idref="sect171">If you veer off the highway towards the cover of the trees, <link-text>turn to 171</link-text>.</choice>
3064       <choice idref="sect120">If you press on regardless of the Kraan and gallop flat out down the highway, <link-text>turn to 120</link-text>.</choice>
3065      </data>
3066     </section>
3067
3068     <section class="numbered" id="sect193">
3069      <meta><title>193</title></meta>
3070
3071      <data>
3072       <p>The beast and its rider lie dead. You notice a Scroll tucked into the Giak<ch.apos/>s belt. You may take this if you wish, but remember to mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The other Doomwolves are charging along the path towards you.</p>
3073       <choice idref="sect253">If you wish to fight them, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
3074       <choice idref="sect126">If you wish to escape into the woods, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
3075      </data>
3076     </section>
3077
3078     <section class="numbered" id="sect194">
3079      <meta><title>194</title></meta>
3080
3081      <data>
3082       <p>You sprint towards the wagon. People are running everywhere in panic as the Kraan make their attack, carrying their poor victims off into the darkening sky. A large Kraan is hovering above the wagon and three snarling Giaks drop from its back onto the startled horses. You must fight them or leave the wagon and run to the safety of a nearby farmhouse.</p>
3083       <choice idref="sect208">If you wish to fight the Giaks, <link-text>turn to 208</link-text>.</choice>
3084       <choice idref="sect148">If you wish to run to the farmhouse, <link-text>turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
3085      </data>
3086     </section>
3087
3088     <section class="numbered" id="sect195">
3089      <meta><title>195</title></meta>
3090
3091      <data>
3092       <p>Wiping the bear<ch.apos/>s blood from your weapon, you notice the mouth of a cave hidden behind the rock from which the bear attacked.</p>
3093       <choice idref="sect59">If you wish to investigate this cave further, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
3094       <choice idref="sect106">If you wish to press on, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
3095      </data>
3096     </section>
3097
3098     <section class="numbered" id="sect196">
3099      <meta><title>196</title></meta>
3100
3101      <data>
3102       <p>You follow the man into a small library off the main hall. He pushes one of the many books on the shelves which line all four walls, and you hear a metallic <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia>. One section of the bookcase slowly slides back to reveal a hidden passage.</p>
3103       <choice idref="sect332">If you wish to follow the man into the passage, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
3104       <choice idref="sect144">If you do not want to enter the dark corridor, leave the guildhall and return to the street. <link-text>Turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
3105      </data>
3106     </section>
3107
3108     <section class="numbered" id="sect197">
3109      <meta><title>197</title></meta>
3110
3111      <data>
3112       <p>The Drakkar lies dead at the bottom of the ferry. He has a Short Sword and 6 Gold Crowns which you may keep if you wish. You push the body into the water where it floats for a few seconds before disappearing into the icy depths.</p>
3113       <p>Grabbing the pole, you steer to the other side of the lake and abandon the ferry.</p>
3114       <choice idref="sect172"><link-text>Turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
3115      </data>
3116     </section>
3117
3118     <section class="numbered" id="sect198">
3119      <meta><title>198</title></meta>
3120
3121      <data>
3122       <p>You can sense that there is someone else behind the screen. There is a lingering aura of wickedness around this shop. Be on your guard<ch.emdash/>something is wrong here.</p>
3123       <choice idref="sect7">If you wish to return to the street, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
3124       <choice idref="sect152">If you wish to examine the goods in the glass counter, <link-text>turn to 152</link-text>.</choice>
3125      </data>
3126     </section>
3127
3128     <section class="numbered" id="sect199">
3129      <meta><title>199</title></meta>
3130
3131      <data>
3132       <p>Most of the cupboards and drawers are empty. Whoever lived here took nearly everything they owned with them, but you do manage to scrape together enough fruit in the cellar for one Meal. You may mark this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
3133       <choice idref="sect81"><link-text>Turn to 81</link-text>.</choice>
3134      </data>
3135     </section>
3136
3137     <section class="numbered" id="sect200">
3138      <meta><title>200</title></meta>
3139
3140      <data>
3141       <p>Night is starting to close in. The shadows of the forest are growing longer and darker. Just as you are about to stop and rest, you see through the trees a line of people moving south along a wide highway. Moving closer, you notice a large merchant<ch.apos/>s caravan in the centre of the dusty turnpike. It is drawn by six large horses and is moving much faster than any of the other traffic. This could be your chance to reach the capital as quickly as possible.</p>
3142       <illustration class="float">
3143        <meta>
3144         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
3145         <description>You notice a large merchant in the centre of the dusty turnpike.</description>
3146        </meta>
3147        <instance class="html" src="ill12.png" width="386" height="694"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3148        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill12.gif" width="386" height="694"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3149        <instance class="pdf" src="ill12.pdf" width="386" height="694" />
3150       </illustration>
3151       <choice idref="sect168">If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Camouflage to hide in among the packing cases strapped to the roof, <link-text>turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
3152       <choice idref="sect78">If you wish to jump onto the caravan, <link-text>turn to 78</link-text>.</choice>
3153      </data>
3154     </section>
3155
3156     <section class="numbered" id="sect201">
3157      <meta><title>201</title></meta>
3158
3159      <data>
3160       <p>You follow the rough track for nearly an hour when you notice ahead of you another wider path branching off towards the south.</p>
3161       <choice idref="sect238">If you wish to turn south along the new path, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
3162       <choice idref="sect15">But if you wish to head east, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
3163       <choice idref="sect130">Or if you wish to go west, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
3164      </data>
3165     </section>
3166
3167     <section class="numbered" id="sect202">
3168      <meta><title>202</title></meta>
3169
3170      <data>
3171       <p>Urging your horse forward, you gallop down the long stretch of highway towards the capital. After only a few minutes your horse suddenly slows and finally limps to a halt. You dismount and examine its raised right foreleg. You curse your ill luck, for you see that it has thrown a shoe and injured its hoof quite badly. You will have to leave him here and proceed on foot as quickly as you can.</p>
3172       <choice idref="sect58"><link-text>Turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
3173      </data>
3174     </section>
3175
3176     <section class="numbered" id="sect203">
3177      <meta><title>203</title></meta>
3178
3179      <data>
3180       <p>You suddenly feel a searing pain shoot through your chest as something explodes against you in a shower of red sparks.</p>
3181       <p>You lose 10 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Through the smoke, the Sage is preparing to throw more explosives at you.</p>
3182       <choice idref="sect80">If you have 10 or more <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points left, <link-text>turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
3183       <choice idref="sect344">If you now have less than 10 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, <link-text>turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
3184      </data>
3185     </section>
3186
3187     <section class="numbered" id="sect204">
3188      <meta><title>204</title></meta>
3189
3190      <data>
3191       <p>After an hour of walking you arrive at a junction. The path continues south and another path joins it from the west. You realize that the west path will lead you back to the marsh, so you continue southwards.</p>
3192       <choice idref="sect111"><link-text>Turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
3193      </data>
3194     </section>
3195
3196     <section class="numbered" id="sect205">
3197      <meta><title>205</title></meta>
3198
3199      <data>
3200       <p>Their leader picks up your discarded Equipment and ushers you along the road ahead. (You must now erase all Weapons and Backpack Items from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.) An evil grin spreads across the face of the other two men, and you suddenly realize that they are not soldiers after all. You make a break for it and run away from there, sprinting towards the distant capital.</p>
3201       <p>Behind you, the ominous <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> of a crossbow being primed sends a shiver down your spine.</p>
3202       <illustration class="inline">
3203        <meta>
3204         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
3205        </meta>
3206        <instance class="html" src="small20.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3207        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small20.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3208        <instance class="pdf" src="small20.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
3209       </illustration>
3210       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
3211       <choice idref="sect181">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
3212       <choice idref="sect145">If the number is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
3213      </data>
3214     </section>
3215
3216     <section class="numbered" id="sect206">
3217      <meta><title>206</title></meta>
3218
3219      <data>
3220       <p>The path soon joins a highway where a signpost indicates Toran to the north and Holmgard to the south. You turn south towards the capital.</p>
3221       <choice idref="sect224"><link-text>Turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
3222      </data>
3223     </section>
3224
3225     <section class="numbered" id="sect207">
3226      <meta><title>207</title></meta>
3227
3228      <data>
3229       <p>The track soon reaches a larger road which crosses the stream via a stone bridge. A signpost at the bridge points north to Toran and south to Holmgard. The road itself is jammed with people moving south, some pushing their possessions along on handcarts. You join the refugee column and head towards the capital.</p>
3230       <illustration class="float">
3231        <meta>
3232         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
3233        </meta>
3234        <instance class="html" src="207.png" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3235        <instance class="html-compatible" src="207.gif" width="386" height="532"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3236        <instance class="pdf" src="207.pdf" width="386" height="532" />
3237       </illustration>
3238       <choice idref="sect30"><link-text>Turn to 30</link-text>.</choice>
3239      </data>
3240     </section>
3241
3242     <section class="numbered" id="sect208">
3243      <meta><title>208</title></meta>
3244
3245      <data>
3246       <p>The ghoulish creatures thrust their spears at you and attack. Fight these creatures as a single enemy.</p>
3247       <combat><enemy>Giaks</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">13</enemy-attribute></combat> 
3248       <choice idref="sect148">If you win, you can run to the safety of the farmhouse by <link-text>turning to 148</link-text>.</choice>
3249       <choice idref="sect320">Or you can return to the woods by <link-text>turning to 320</link-text>.</choice>
3250      </data>
3251     </section>
3252
3253     <section class="numbered" id="sect209">
3254      <meta><title>209</title></meta>
3255
3256      <data>
3257       <p>You see ahead a corridor sloping upwards, and as you reach the top of this slope, a stone portal slides across to reveal another passage ahead.</p>
3258       <p>You step through the opening which then quickly closes with a crunch.</p>
3259       <choice idref="sect23"><link-text>Turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
3260      </data>
3261     </section>
3262
3263     <section class="numbered" id="sect210">
3264      <meta><title>210</title></meta>
3265
3266      <data>
3267       <p>Just inside the door, you are stopped by a journeyman of the Guildhall and asked to explain your intrusion. You calmly inform him of your urgent message for the King, and he hurries you into the Guildmaster<ch.apos/>s chambers.</p>
3268       <p>A distinguished old man in deep purple robes turns to greet you and listens to your story. Taking you by the arm, he leads you into an adjoining library and closes the door. Pressing one of the many thousands of books, he releases a secret panel in the wall and beckons you to follow him.</p>
3269       <choice idref="sect332">If you wish to follow him into the dark passage, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
3270       <choice idref="sect37">If you are not completely happy about this man and wish to leave the Guildhall, <link-text>turn to 37</link-text>.</choice>
3271      </data>
3272     </section>
3273
3274     <section class="numbered" id="sect211">
3275      <meta><title>211</title></meta>
3276
3277      <data>
3278       <p>You walk along a dimly lit corridor which opens out into a large square room, with an oak door in the far wall.</p>
3279       <choice idref="sect244">If you possess the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense <link-text>turn to 244</link-text>.</choice>
3280       <choice idref="sect173">If you wish to walk across to the door, <link-text>turn to 173</link-text>.</choice>
3281       <choice idref="sect106">If you would prefer to return to the surface and continue your journey, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
3282      </data>
3283     </section>
3284
3285     <section class="numbered" id="sect212">
3286      <meta><title>212</title></meta>
3287
3288      <data>
3289       <p>When you awake, the pain is but a memory. Restore all lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your original score. A tall man dressed in white robes stands before you, a bowl of herbs in his hands. Placing the leaves into a kettle of boiling water, he then turns to greet you.</p>
3290       <illustration class="float">
3291        <meta>
3292         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
3293         <description>A tall man dressed in white robes stands before you, a bowl of herbs in his hands.</description>
3294        </meta>
3295        <instance class="html" src="ill13.png" width="386" height="673"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3296        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill13.gif" width="386" height="673"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3297        <instance class="pdf" src="ill13.pdf" width="386" height="673" />
3298       </illustration>
3299       <p><quote>You have passed close to death and have seen his face, Kai Lord, but the Grey One has not claimed you for his flock. You are healed in body but I sense that you are wounded in spirit. What is it that troubles you so?</quote></p>
3300       <p>You recognize the man to be one of the King<ch.apos/>s senior physicians, for the gold embroidered emblem of a dove upon his sleeve is the sign of his respected vocation. You tell the aged cleric of the events at the monastery and of your perilous journey to the King.</p>
3301       <p>Raising you gently from the bed by your arm, he bids you follow him. You notice that you are in a lavishly decorated room which leads out through a long corridor lined with tapestries. It slowly dawns on you just where you are.</p>
3302       <p>This is the citadel of Holmgard and you are about to meet the King.</p>
3303       <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
3304      </data>
3305     </section>
3306
3307     <section class="numbered" id="sect213">
3308      <meta><title>213</title></meta>
3309
3310      <data>
3311       <p>You have been trudging through the forest for nearly two hours. The nagging fear that you are lost begins to seem a reality. Apart from the occasional cry of a Kraan in the far distance, you have seen or heard no evidence that the enemy is in this part of the forest. As you descend a rocky hillock, you see something unusual in the tangled woods ahead.</p>
3312       <choice idref="sect331"><link-text>Turn to 331</link-text>.</choice>
3313      </data>
3314     </section>
3315
3316     <section class="numbered" id="sect214">
3317      <meta><title>214</title></meta>
3318
3319      <data>
3320       <p>The path gradually narrows until it disappears completely into a mass of dense vegetation. You cannot go any further on this route and therefore you must return to the clearing.</p>
3321       <choice idref="sect125"><link-text>Turn to 125</link-text> and take the south path.</choice>
3322      </data>
3323     </section>
3324
3325     <section class="numbered" id="sect215">
3326      <meta><title>215</title></meta>
3327
3328      <data>
3329       <p>You emerge into a small clearing. In the centre you see the skeletal remains of a large animal. To the south a narrow track leads off into the distance.</p>
3330       <illustration class="inline">
3331        <meta>
3332         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
3333        </meta>
3334        <instance class="html" src="215.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3335        <instance class="html-compatible" src="215.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3336        <instance class="pdf" src="215.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
3337       </illustration>
3338       <choice idref="sect346">If you wish to examine the skeleton, <link-text>turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
3339       <choice idref="sect14">If you would rather press on, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
3340      </data>
3341     </section>
3342
3343     <section class="numbered" id="sect216">
3344      <meta><title>216</title></meta>
3345
3346      <data>
3347       <p>Placing one hand on his forehead and the other on his wounded arm, you feel the warmth of your healing powers leave your body and give strength to the injured man.</p>
3348       <p>He tells you his name is Trimis and he is a soldier in Prince Pelathar<ch.apos/>s army. The Prince and his troops are engaged in battle to the south, where a large force of the Darklords<ch.apos/> creatures are attacking the bridge of Alema. During the fight, he had been snatched into the air by a Kraan, and dropped into the forest.</p>
3349       <p>You make the soldier as comfortable as possible before continuing on your mission.</p>
3350       <choice idref="sect264"><link-text>Turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
3351      </data>
3352     </section>
3353
3354     <section class="numbered" id="sect217">
3355      <meta><title>217</title></meta>
3356
3357      <data>
3358       <p>You quickly escape from the madman and dodge along a dark alleyway where the houses are small and cramped together. At the very end is a green door with a sign above it that says:</p>
3359       <illustration class="inline">
3360        <meta>
3361         <creator>Gary Chalk</creator>
3362        </meta>
3363        <instance class="html" src="small21.png" width="386" height="124"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3364        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small21.gif" width="386" height="124"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3365        <instance class="pdf" src="small21.pdf" width="386" height="124" />
3366        <instance class="text">
3367         <signpost>Kolanis<ch.emdash/>Sage <ch.ampersand/> Herbalist</signpost>
3368        </instance>
3369       </illustration>
3370       <choice idref="sect91">If you wish to enter, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
3371       <choice idref="sect7">If you wish to wait until you are sure the madman has disappeared and then return to the main street, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
3372      </data>
3373     </section>
3374
3375     <section class="numbered" id="sect218">
3376      <meta><title>218</title></meta>
3377
3378      <data>
3379       <p>Your senses reveal that more than just horses are heading towards you. You can just make out the very high shrieks of Giak war-cries in the distance. By the number of cries and curses you estimate that there are over a dozen Giaks, and probably Doomwolves as well. You decide that advertising your existence is perhaps not quite such a good idea after all!</p>
3380       <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
3381      </data>
3382     </section>
3383
3384     <section class="numbered" id="sect219">
3385      <meta><title>219</title></meta>
3386
3387      <data>
3388       <p>All that remains of you now is embedded five feet into the stairs on which you were standing, beneath a vast granite block.</p>
3389       <deadend>Your mission and your life end here.</deadend>
3390      </data>
3391     </section>
3392
3393     <section class="numbered" id="sect220">
3394      <meta><title>220</title></meta>
3395
3396      <data>
3397       <p>The bodyguard unsheathes a scimitar and lunges for your head.</p>
3398       <combat><enemy>Bodyguard</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">11</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
3399       <choice idref="sect24">If you win, <link-text>turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
3400       <choice idref="sect234">If you wish to evade combat at any time during the fight, you can jump from the speeding caravan by <link-text>turning to 234</link-text>.</choice>
3401      </data>
3402     </section>
3403
3404     <section class="numbered" id="sect221">
3405      <meta><title>221</title></meta>
3406
3407      <data>
3408       <p>Cautiously, you approach the base of the log wall. The tree trunks are rough-hewn and afford plenty of footholds for your climb. As you reach the top of the wall, you come face to face with a crossbow. The soldier holding it in your face motions for you to descend a wooden ladder to the ground. You do not argue with him. Slowly you descend the ladder.</p>
3409       <illustration class="inline">
3410        <meta>
3411         <creator>JC Alvarez</creator>
3412        </meta>
3413        <instance class="html" src="221.png" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/png"/>
3414        <instance class="html-compatible" src="221.gif" width="288" height="288"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
3415        <instance class="pdf" src="221.pdf" width="288" height="288" />
3416       </illustration>
3417       <choice idref="sect318"><link-text>Turn to 318</link-text>.</choice>
3418      </data>
3419     </section>
3420
3421     <section class="numbered" id="sect222">
3422      <meta><title>222</title></meta>
3423
3424      <data>
3425       <p>As you go on you discover a forest path that divides at the point you join it.</p>
3426       <choice idref="sect67">If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Tracking, <link-text>turn to 67</link-text>.</choice>
3427       <choice idref="sect140">If you wish to take the south fork, <link-text>turn to 140</link-text>.</choice>
3428       <choice idref="sect252">If you wish to take the east fork, <link-text>turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
3429      </data>
3430     </section>
3431
3432     <section class="numbered" id="sect223">
3433      <meta><title>223</title></meta>
3434
3435      <data>
3436       <p>After quite a struggle, you manage to free the heavy trunk from the river bank. Gathering your equipment in a bundle, you stow it on top of the log and then slowly wade out into the river. The current soon takes you and you drift slowly downstream.</p>
3437       <p>After twenty minutes you hear the sound of horses along the left bank.</p>
3438       <choice idref="sect75">If you wish to hide behind the log, <link-text>turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
3439       <choice idref="sect175">If you wish to climb onto the log and prepare to catch the riders<ch.apos/> attention, then <link-text>turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
3440      </data>
3441     </section>
3442
3443     <section class="numbered" id="sect224">
3444      <meta><title>224</title></meta>
3445
3446      <data>
3447       <p>You have ridden several miles and have seen no sign of refugees or of the enemy. You race on towards a high ridge in the middle distance. You should be able to see the capital from there.</p>
3448       <p>As you reach the peak, the sight that meets you on the far side is one of hope<ch.emdash/>but there is still one challenge you know you have to face.</p>
3449       <choice idref="sect153"><link-text>Turn to 153</link-text>.<