81ef23ab9e2443e5d945434ef9417276b09db04b
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 01gstw.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14  <meta>
15   <title>Grey Star the Wizard</title>
16   <creator class="author" sort-name="Page, Ian">Ian Page</creator>
17   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
18   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Bonner, Paul">Paul Bonner</creator>
19   <creator class="short">Ian Page and Joe Dever</creator>
20   <creator class="medium">
21    <line>Ian Page</line>
22    <line>Illustrated by Paul Bonner</line>
23    <line>Edited by Joe Dever</line>
24   </creator>
25   <creator class="long">
26    &inclusion.ian.page.bio.gs;
27    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.gs;
28    &inclusion.paul.bonner.bio.gs;
29   </creator>
30   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
31   <date class="publication"><year>2012</year><month>10</month><day>28</day></date>
32   <description class="blurb">
33    <p><strong>In the World of Lone Wolf a new hero has arisen<ch.emdash/>Grey Star the Wizard</strong></p>
34    <p>You are Grey Star. From the core of a raging storm you appeared<ch.emdash/>a human child, ship-wrecked and orphaned, a gift of hope to the exiled Shianti sorcerers. Ever since that fateful night they have raised you as one of their own, teaching you the mysteries of their magic in preparation for an epic quest.</p>
35    <p>The time has now come. You must find the legendary Moonstone and with its power crush the evil Wytch-king of Shadaki. For only you can save the land of your birth from the cruel grip of his empire. But be warned! Ahead lies a terrifying journey into the unknown where survival or death confronts you with every turn of the page.</p>
36    <p><strong>The World of Lone Wolf</strong> is an exciting adventure series in which you are the hero, you make the decisions, and you fight the combats using the unique systems included in the book.</p>
37   </description>
38   <description class="publication">
39    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
40   </description>
41   <rights class="copyrights">
42    <line>Concept copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Joe Dever and Gary Chalk.</line>
43    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Ian Page.</line>
44    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Paul Bonner.</line>
45   </rights>
46   <rights class="license-notification">
47    <p>
48     <line>Concept copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Joe Dever and Gary Chalk</line>
49     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Ian Page.</line>
50     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Paul Bonner.</line>
51     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
52    </p>
53   </rights>
54  </meta>
55
56  <section id="toc">
57   <meta />
58   <data />
59  </section>
60
61  <section id="title">
62   <meta>
63    <title>Title Page</title>
64    <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
65   </meta>
66
67   <data>
68
69    <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
70     <meta>
71      <title>Dedication</title>
72      <link class="prev" idref="title" />
73      <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
74     </meta>
75
76     <data>
77
78      <p class="dedication">
79       <line>To Joe Dever,</line>
80       <line>without whom<ch.ellips/></line>
81      </p>
82
83     </data>
84    </section>
85
86    <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
87     <meta>
88      <title>Acknowledgements</title>
89      <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
90      <link class="next" idref="coming" />
91     </meta>
92
93     <data>
94
95      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
96
97      <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
98       <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
99
100       <data>
101        <dl>
102         <dt>Transcription</dt>
103          <dd>
104           <line>Ryan Cross</line>
105           <line>Max Silvestri</line>
106          </dd>
107         <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
108          <dd>
109           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
110           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
111          </dd>
112         <dt>XML</dt>
113          <dd>
114           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
115           <line>Jeff Dougan</line>
116           <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
117          </dd>
118         <dt>Replacement Illustrations</dt>
119          <dd>
120           <line>JC Alvarez (Action Charts)</line>
121           <line>Jonathan Blake (Extramatter Charts and Tables)</line>
122           <line>Christopher Lundgren (Map and Small Illustrations)</line>
123          </dd>
124         <dt>Proofreading</dt>
125          <dd>
126           <line>Ryan Cross (Frontmatter and Sections 1<ch.endash/>105)</line>
127           <line>Simon Osborne (Sections 106<ch.endash/>350)</line>
128          </dd>
129         <dt>Editing</dt>
130          <dd>
131           <line>Ryan Cross</line>
132           <line>Mike Feldman</line>
133           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
134           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
135           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
136          </dd>
137         <!-- <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
138          <dd>
139           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
140           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
141          </dd> -->
142         <dt>Coordination</dt>
143          <dd>
144           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
145           <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
146          </dd>
147         <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
148          <dd>David Davis, Patrick Kalinauskas</dd>
149        </dl>
150       </data>
151      </section>
152
153     </data>
154    </section>
155
156    <section class="frontmatter" id="coming">
157     <meta>
158      <title>Of the Coming of Grey Star</title>
159      <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
160      <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
161     </meta>
162
163     <data>
164      <p>Ancient days they were when first the Shianti set foot upon the land that men call Magnamund. Long had they journeyed through the void, homeless wanderers in search of a place to call their own. And so it was that when the Shianti first looked upon the face of the land, their hearts were raised in wonder. They saw a world of nameless mountains, untamed forests, and lands both wild and free. Here they chose to cease their wanderings and to devote themselves to the study and appreciation of this newfound land.</p>
165      <p>To the delight of the Shianti, the race of man first emerged at this time and they watched his early struggle towards civilization with eager concern. Like gods the Shianti seemed to the minds of primitive men. Tall and proud, shining with a radiance that spoke of magic and arcane mystery, the Shianti moved among them and with their powers of wizardry, aided man in his development.</p>
166      <p>As the centuries passed, man fell to worship of the magical Shianti and the power of these wizards grew even stronger. With hungry hearts they sought to unlock the mysteries of knowledge, sending their minds into other planes of existence and strange worlds beyond the sphere of the material plane. Their foresight was now unmatched and the power of their thought was mighty indeed. It was at this time that they created the Moonstone. Woven of the very fabric of the astral plane of Daziarn, this translucent gem was the greatest achievement of Shianti wisdom. It was the binding force of all Shianti magic, containing the combined might of all their wizardry, the sum of all their knowledge. The Golden Age of the Shianti had come and the Moonstone was the instrument of their dominion throughout all Magnamund. Man stood as little more than a shadow, blinded by the shining white light of Shianti glory. But, in creating the Moonstone, the unwritten laws of nature had been transgressed. For the Moonstone, like the Shianti themselves, was something outside of man<ch.apos/>s own world; it defied the natural order laid down by the creators of Magnamund and disrupted the balance that the gods had designed.</p>
167      <p>The Goddess Ishir, High Priestess of the Moon and mother of all men, showed herself to the Shianti and spoke to them of the destiny of man: <quote>The children of this world must claim their inheritance. Their time has come and they must learn to stand alone. They are lost in their worship of you and the day draws ever nearer when they will covet the power of the Moonstone.</quote></p>
168      <p>And the Shianti said: <quote>Forgive us, Great Goddess, for we intended no harm. We love mankind even as you do. We have sought to do good and protect your children from harm.</quote></p>
169      <p>But Ishir replied, <quote>Of this there can be no doubt, but this world is not your realm. Man must be free to pursue his destiny alone, and you must leave, for you trespass on his domain.</quote></p>
170      <p>The Shianti were filled with sorrow. They feared a return to the void and to their lonely wandering, and pleaded with Ishir that she might allow them to remain. Ishir was filled with pity for them. She spoke again, saying, <quote>If you are to remain, you must obey my command. You must take a vow never to interfere with mankind<ch.apos/>s fate. As a token of good faith you must lay aside the Moonstone, and return it to the plane where it belongs.</quote></p>
171      <p>Solemnly, the Shianti agreed. The vow was sworn before Ishir, and the Moonstone was returned to the Daziarn. The Shianti then moved south to the Isle of Lorn. They encircled their new home with a web of enchantments, magical mists, and mage winds to prevent man from ever finding their place of refuge in the Sea of Dreams. Knowledge of the Shianti faded with time, save in southern Magnamund where it became enshrined in legend, and the worship of them endured. Priests of the Shianti religion preserved their teachings and patiently awaited the day when the <quote>ancient ones</quote> would return, bringing with them lasting peace and the blessing of a new golden age.</p>
172      <p>Two thousand years strode by and man advanced as Ishir had foretold. He built great cities and cultivated the land; his kingdoms rose and fell; he made war and loved and laughed and became master of his fate. But a new power was emerging in the province of Shadaki. There Shasarak the evil Wytch-king ruled. The black necromancer commanded an army of brutal soldiers and had a devoted following of men who upheld his religion of demonic worship and sacrificial rites. Devotees of the Shianti and other religious cults were persecuted in a merciless purge. Ruthlessly, the Wytch-king destroyed all his opponents and began a terrible war with the peoples of the neighbouring provinces. From the ruins of war Shasarak shaped the Shadakine Empire, subjugating whole nations to his evil rule. As the provinces fell to his might, the Shianti looked on helplessly, bound by their vow to the Goddess Ishir never to interfere in the affairs of man.</p>
173      <p>On the night of the crowning of Shasarak as Overlord of the Shadakine Empire, a great storm broke upon the Sea of Dreams, a storm that raged with unnatural intensity. Lashed by wind and rain, illuminated by wild lightning, the waters heaved and danced in fury to the thundering music of the storm, unchecked by even the enchantments of the Shianti. When finally the tempest died, the Shianti looked out in amazement on the shattered hull of a ship drifting towards their shore. Never before had this occurred, for the enchantments and mage winds had kept them secure from the curiosity of man by forcing him to sail close to his own land.</p>
174      <p>The Shianti went quickly to the ruined ship where they found only one survivor<ch.emdash/>a baby. They perceived the sudden arrival of this human child as a sign of great portent, and they conceived a plan by which they might lawfully aid mankind. They named the orphan child Grey Star, because a star is the symbol of hope in the Shianti faith, and because of the silver streak in the child<ch.apos/>s jet-black hair. In the shadow of the wrath of the Goddess Ishir, they raised the child as one of their own and taught him their secrets. Diligently they set about their instruction, for their aim was to provide a saviour for mankind. Armed with the might of Shianti wizardry and wisdom, their hope was to create an adversary equal in power to the evil Wytch-king of Shadaki, for they realized that only with the death of Shasarak would man once more be free to determine his destiny.</p>
175     </data>
176    </section>
177
178    <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
179     <meta>
180      <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
181      <link class="prev" idref="coming" />
182      <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
183     </meta>
184
185     <data>
186      <p>You are Grey Star, trained in the secret arts of a Shianti wizard. Sixteen years have passed since you arrived on the Isle of Lorn, the hidden realm of the Shianti race, when you are called to a meeting of your Shianti masters.</p>
187      <p><quote>Grey Star,</quote> says Acarya, High Wizard of the Shianti, <quote>you have been summoned to this meeting so that we may lay before you a quest of great importance. Your people, the race of man, are slaves of an evil tyrant, Shasarak the Wytch-king of Shadaki. He has made pacts with demons and has captured the spirits of the dead who do his bidding as undead slaves. He has the power to control the minds of men; none can resist him and the land of your birth cries out in fear of the cruel hand that crushes its heart. No power remains intact to challenge the might of the Wytch-king. Our ancient vow to the Goddess Ishir forbids us from intervening in the fate of man, and the Moonstone now lies hidden on another plane. We have taught you the ways of Shianti magic in the hope that one day you would take up this quest<ch.emdash/>to recover the Moonstone and use its power to destroy the Wytch-king. You are human. No vow prohibits you from leaving the Isle of Lorn, nor are you forbidden to aid mankind in any way you choose. No charge is laid upon you to accept the quest, yet if you refuse, your people will be doomed to a choice between slavery and destruction at the hands of the Wytch-king of Shadaki.</quote></p>
188      <p>Bravely and without hesitation, you give Acarya your decision, but your voice trembles as you speak: <quote>I accept the quest of the Moonstone. What must I do?</quote></p>
189      <p>There are sighs of relief all round. <quote>You have made us proud this day, son of man,</quote> says Acarya, smiling. <quote>The Moonstone lies hidden in the Daziarn plane, which can only be entered by locating its portal. We know this can be found in the lands of men: it is called the <quote>Shadow Gate</quote>. However, it rarely remains in any one location for more than a day and is invisible to human sight. For this reason you must seek out the Lost Tribe of Lara, a race of primitive but magical creatures we call the Kundi. They possess the gift of astral vision, which enables them to see the Shadow Gate. Once, long ago, the Kundi inhabited the forests and mountains of Lara. Before the Shadakine army invaded the free provinces of the south, they passed through the mountains of Lara, using the Morn Pass. There the Shadakine army were frequently ambushed and delayed by the Kundi, who always disappeared into the safety of the forests before the Shadakine could retaliate. Finally, in desperation, the Wytch-king burnt the forests, and the Kundi were forced to flee. To this day, no one is sure where the Kundi went, and consequently men refer to them as the Lost Tribe of Lara. Your first task is to find the lost tribe and persuade them to guide you to the Shadow Gate. Your training is incomplete but you must begin without delay. The Shadakine Empire now stretches to the very shores of the Sea of Dreams, and the power of the Wytch-king grows with each passing day. Our presence is known to him and his attention is often turned towards us, probing our defences and testing the measure of our powers. He is hungry for new conquest, and though he fears us, the day is sure to come when he will cross the Sea of Dreams to challenge the Shianti.</quote></p>
190      <p>Acarya places his hands upon your shoulders and looks deeply into your eyes. <quote>The fate of humanity and of the Shianti depends on the success of your quest. Find the Moonstone, Grey Star<ch.ellips/>You are our only hope; if you fail then all is lost.</quote></p>
191     </data>
192    </section>
193
194    <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
195     <meta>
196      <title>The Game Rules</title>
197      <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
198      <link class="next" idref="powers" />
199     </meta>
200
201     <footnotes>
202      <footnote id="gamerulz-2-foot" idref="gamerulz-2"><p>There are sections of this book that describe how you use a Magical Power and how many <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you spend, without giving you a choice and without taking into account that you may not have the required number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points left. You may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative.</p>
203       <p>Alternatively, you may wish to use a method given in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref>, which contains one such case of mandated use of magic: If you do not have enough <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, then you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point you lack (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point). If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score falls to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over.</p>
204       <p>Note that you may never <em>choose</em> to use a Magical Power or your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff if you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This method also cannot be used in cases where you lose <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points for a reason other than using magic, for instance as a result of mental or magical attacks. In these cases, you may end up with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score.</p></footnote>
205      <footnote id="gamerulz-1-foot" idref="gamerulz-1"><p>It is possible for your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> to fall below zero. For example, if you are the victim of an attack that drains your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>, your score may be forced below zero. If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you will not be able to cast spells or use the magical properties of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff until your score is again above zero. You can still use your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff in combat as a normal weapon, but you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p></footnote>
206     </footnotes>
207
208     <data>
209      <p>To keep a record of your adventure, use the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
210      <p>Before you set off on your adventure, you must discover how well your Shianti masters have prepared you for your quest by determining your fighting prowess<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ><ch.emdash/>your state of mind<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ><ch.emdash/>and your physical stamina<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. To do this take a pencil and, with eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick 0 it counts as zero.</p>
211      <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 10 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 4 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 14). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.</p>
212      <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 6 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have a <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> of 26). If you decide to use a spell or utilize the power of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, then you will lose <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you may not use any of your spells<footref id="gamerulz-2" idref="gamerulz-2-foot"/> or your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff.<footref id="gamerulz-1" idref="gamerulz-1-foot"/> Lost <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, and it is possible for your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to rise above the total with which you start your adventure.</p>
213      <p>The third number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 6 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 26 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). If you are wounded in combat, you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure but can never rise above the number with which you start your adventure.</p>
214
215      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="powers">
216       <meta>
217        <title>Magical Powers</title>
218        <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
219        <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
220       </meta>
221
222       <footnotes>
223        <footnote id="powers-1-foot" idref="powers-1"><p>If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you will not be able to use the magical properties of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff until your score is again above zero. You can still use your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff in combat as a normal weapon, but you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p></footnote>
224       </footnotes>
225
226       <data>
227        <p>When you start your adventure, your education in the ways of wizardry is incomplete. You have mastered only <em>five</em> of the seven Magical Powers that the Shianti call the <typ class="ital">Lesser Magicks</typ>. The choice of which five Powers these are is up to you. All of the Lesser Magicks may be of use to you at some point on your quest, so choose them with care. Your survival may depend on the correct use of a Magical Power at the right time.</p>
228        <p>The seven Magical Powers available to you are listed below. When you have chosen your five Powers, enter them in the Magical Powers section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
229
230        <section class="frontmatter" id="sorcery">
231         <meta><title>Sorcery</title></meta>
232
233         <data>
234          <illustration class="inline">
235           <meta>
236            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
237           </meta>
238           <instance class="html" src="sorcery.png" width="386" height="122"  mime-type="image/png"/>
239           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sorcery.gif" width="386" height="122"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
240           <instance class="pdf" src="sorcery.pdf" width="386" height="122" />
241          </illustration>
242
243          <illustration class="accent" id="sorcery-ill">
244           <meta>
245            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
246           </meta>
247           <instance class="html" src="sorcery.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
248           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sorcery.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
249           <instance class="pdf" src="sorcery.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
250          </illustration>
251
252          <p><a idref="sorcery-ill" class="accent-illustration" />This Power allows a wizard to transform his thoughts or desires into magical energy. By concentration of the will it is possible to create magical shields of force to bar doors or move objects. Sorcery drains more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points than any other Magical Power, and is most effective when your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points are high.</p>
253          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Sorcery</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
254         </data>
255        </section>
256
257        <section class="frontmatter" id="enchant">
258         <meta><title>Enchantment</title></meta>
259
260         <data>
261          <illustration class="inline">
262           <meta>
263            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
264           </meta>
265           <instance class="html" src="enchant.png" width="386" height="130"  mime-type="image/png"/>
266           <instance class="html-compatible" src="enchant.gif" width="386" height="130"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
267           <instance class="pdf" src="enchant.pdf" width="386" height="130" />
268          </illustration>
269
270          <illustration class="accent" id="enchant-ill">
271           <meta>
272            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
273           </meta>
274           <instance class="html" src="enchant.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
275           <instance class="html-compatible" src="enchant.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
276           <instance class="pdf" src="enchant.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
277          </illustration>
278
279          <p><a idref="enchant-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of Enchantment enables a wizard to charm or beguile other creatures, and create illusions in the minds of others. He will be able to extract information from others, place thoughts and compulsions into another<ch.apos/>s mind, or cause them to believe that imaginary events are actually taking place. Some magical or highly intelligent beings may be immune to the powers of Enchantment.</p>
280          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Enchantment</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
281         </data>
282        </section>
283
284        <section class="frontmatter" id="elementl">
285         <meta><title>Elementalism</title></meta>
286
287         <data>
288          <illustration class="inline">
289           <meta>
290            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
291           </meta>
292           <instance class="html" src="elementl.png" width="386" height="118"  mime-type="image/png"/>
293           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elementl.gif" width="386" height="118"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
294           <instance class="pdf" src="elementl.pdf" width="386" height="118" />
295          </illustration>
296
297          <illustration class="accent" id="elementl-ill">
298           <meta>
299            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
300           </meta>
301           <instance class="html" src="elementl.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
302           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elementl.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
303           <instance class="pdf" src="elementl.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
304          </illustration>
305
306          <p><a idref="elementl-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of elemental magic allows a wizard some control over the natural elements of Air, Fire, Earth, and Water. By entering a trance and chanting incantations, you may summon aid from the spirits of the Elemental Plane. Elementals have very little understanding of man, and for this reason a wizard can never be sure of the nature of the aid the Elementals may send.</p>
307          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Elementalism</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
308         </data>
309        </section>
310
311        <section class="frontmatter" id="alchemy">
312         <meta><title>Alchemy</title></meta>
313
314         <data>
315          <illustration class="inline">
316           <meta>
317            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
318           </meta>
319           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/png"/>
320           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
321           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="386" height="121" />
322          </illustration>
323
324          <illustration class="accent" id="alchemy-ill">
325           <meta>
326            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
327           </meta>
328           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
329           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
330           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
331          </illustration>
332
333          <p><a idref="alchemy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />A wizard who possesses the Power of Alchemy is able, through the mixing of various substances, to create magical potions. Given the correct ingredients, a potion may restore lost energy (i.e. <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>), or temporarily improve various abilities (e.g. <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>). The use of Alchemy may also allow a wizard to alter the nature of substances (e.g. change lead into gold), but the necessary ingredients and the correct equipment (e.g. a pestle and mortar) must be at hand. The use of the Power of Alchemy drains no <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>.</p>
334          <p>If you choose this Power write <quote>Alchemy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
335         </data>
336        </section>
337
338        <section class="frontmatter" id="prophecy">
339         <meta><title>Prophecy</title></meta>
340
341         <data>
342          <illustration class="inline">
343           <meta>
344            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
345           </meta>
346           <instance class="html" src="prophecy.png" width="386" height="123"  mime-type="image/png"/>
347           <instance class="html-compatible" src="prophecy.gif" width="386" height="123"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
348           <instance class="pdf" src="prophecy.pdf" width="386" height="123" />
349          </illustration>
350
351          <illustration class="accent" id="prophecy-ill">
352           <meta>
353            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
354           </meta>
355           <instance class="html" src="prophecy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
356           <instance class="html-compatible" src="prophecy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
357           <instance class="pdf" src="prophecy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
358          </illustration>
359
360          <p><a idref="prophecy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of Prophecy allows a wizard to foretell the future through meditation. A meditative state will allow a wizard to make the correct decision when facing conflicting choices or difficult actions; to discover the whereabouts of a person he has once met, or an object he has once seen. It may also allow him to determine the true nature of a stranger or a strange object. Magical beings or objects are sometimes hidden from the Power of Prophecy.</p>
361          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Prophecy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
362         </data>
363        </section>
364
365        <section class="frontmatter" id="psycmncy">
366         <meta><title>Psychomancy</title></meta>
367
368         <data>
369          <illustration class="inline">
370           <meta>
371            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
372           </meta>
373           <instance class="html" src="psycmncy.png" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/png"/>
374           <instance class="html-compatible" src="psycmncy.gif" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
375           <instance class="pdf" src="psycmncy.pdf" width="386" height="126" />
376          </illustration>
377
378          <illustration class="accent" id="psycmncy-ill">
379           <meta>
380            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
381           </meta>
382           <instance class="html" src="psycmncy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
383           <instance class="html-compatible" src="psycmncy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
384           <instance class="pdf" src="psycmncy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
385          </illustration>
386
387          <p><a idref="psycmncy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />This Power bestows upon a wizard the ability to deduce facts about events by touching objects connected to them. Through deep concentration, a wizard may lay his hands upon any inanimate object and visualize scenes that have affected it. Visions brought about through the use of Psychomancy are often cryptic, taking the form of a riddle or puzzle. Some magic items are resistant to the use of Psychomancy and may, sometimes, impart misleading information.</p>
388          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Psychomancy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
389         </data>
390        </section>
391
392        <section class="frontmatter" id="evcation">
393         <meta><title>Evocation</title></meta>
394
395         <data>
396          <illustration class="inline">
397           <meta>
398            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
399           </meta>
400           <instance class="html" src="evcation.png" width="386" height="131"  mime-type="image/png"/>
401           <instance class="html-compatible" src="evcation.gif" width="386" height="131"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
402           <instance class="pdf" src="evcation.pdf" width="386" height="131" />
403          </illustration>
404
405          <illustration class="accent" id="evcation-ill">
406           <meta>
407            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
408           </meta>
409           <instance class="html" src="evcation.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
410           <instance class="html-compatible" src="evcation.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
411           <instance class="pdf" src="evcation.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
412          </illustration>
413
414          <p><a idref="evcation-ill" class="accent-illustration" />Mastery of this Power permits contact with the spirit realm. A wizard wishing to speak with the dead, or to call up a form from the spirit world, must draw a magic pentacle and enter a trance, when the use of the correct spell-chant will reach out to the Spiritual Plane. Standing within the protection of a magic pentacle, a wizard may consider himself to be relatively safe from harm. If he wishes to speak with a corpse, especially one whose former life was good and righteous, then a wizard can expect help and advice. However, contact with those whose former lives were evil or selfish can be a perilous, and often fatal, experience. Evil spirits are reluctant to return to the realm of the dead and may try to trick a wizard into freeing them into the world of the living. All spirits, good and evil, will require some service of the wizard in return for their aid. Any failure to perform this task, however difficult may result in the wizard losing his life.</p>
415          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Evocation</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
416         </data>
417        </section>
418
419        <section class="frontmatter" id="staff">
420         <meta><title>Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff</title></meta>
421
422         <data>
423          <illustration class="inline">
424           <meta>
425            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
426           </meta>
427           <instance class="html" src="staff.gif" width="386" height="120" mime-type="image/gif" />
428           <instance class="html" src="staff.png" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/png"/>
429           <instance class="html-compatible" src="staff.gif" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
430           <instance class="pdf" src="staff.pdf" width="386" height="120" />
431          </illustration>
432
433          <illustration class="accent" id="staff-ill">
434           <meta>
435            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
436           </meta>
437           <instance class="html" src="staff.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
438           <instance class="html-compatible" src="staff.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
439           <instance class="pdf" src="staff.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
440          </illustration>
441
442          <p><a idref="staff-ill" class="accent-illustration" />Your Staff is your most valuable possession. It looks and feels like an ordinary quarterstaff, yet it is stronger than any known metal. This is your main combat weapon, for you are untrained in the use of any other form of armed combat. It contains a potent force that is unleashed at will by the power of your mind, and causes a beam of destructive power to hurtle from its tip. Every time you unleash this power you must deduct 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.<footref id="powers-1" idref="powers-1-foot"/></p>
443          <p>In the event that your enemy survives such an attack or should you fall victim to a surprise attack, you will be forced to engage in close combat and must attempt to strike your enemy with the Staff. If your attack is successful, a bolt of energy will be released from the Staff that is capable of inflicting great physical harm. If you wish to increase the amount of damage that you inflict in this way, you must use more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and multiply the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by the enemy, accordingly. For example, if you chose to expend 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points on your attack, all enemy <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses would be multiplied by three.</p>
444          <p>If you enter combat without your Staff, deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you have no weapon at all, you must deduct 8 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
445         </data>
446        </section>
447
448       </data>
449      </section>
450
451      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
452       <meta>
453        <title>Equipment</title>
454        <link class="prev" idref="powers" />
455        <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
456       </meta>
457
458       <footnotes>
459        <footnote id="equipmnt-1-foot" idref="equipmnt-1">
460         <p>This Special Item can be used in combat as if it were a normal Weapon. The Jewelled Dagger<ch.apos/>s bonus to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> should only be applied when the Jewelled Dagger is used in combat. You should not use your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff at the same time. This would incur the normal <ch.minus/>6 penalty to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for not using your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff.</p>
461         <p>Alternatively, you may decide that the Jewelled Dagger may be wielded together with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, and thus confers its bonus in all close combats. This makes the Jewelled Dagger a much more useful item.</p>
462        </footnote>
463        <footnote id="equipmnt-2-foot" idref="equipmnt-2"><p>The bonus to your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score provided by the Magic Talisman is added to your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score only once and does not prevent your score from falling to zero or below.</p></footnote>
464        <footnote id="equipmnt-3-foot" idref="equipmnt-3"><p>If you have mastered the Lesser Magick of Alchemy and therefore have a Herb Pouch, you may choose to keep potions, vials, or ingredients in either the Herb Pouch or your Backpack. All other Backpack Items must be kept in your Backpack.</p></footnote>
465       <footnote id="equipmnt-4-foot" idref="equipmnt-4">
466        <p>The Collector<ch.apos/>s Editions of the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books clarify that <quote>You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</quote></p>
467       </footnote>
468      </footnotes>
469
470       <data>
471        <p>You wear the grey robe and hooded cloak of a Shianti Wizard. Your only weapon is your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff (note this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> under Weapons). You wear a Backpack containing 4 Meals (note under Meals on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>), and you have been given a <a idref="map">map of the Shadakine Empire</a> (note under Special Items on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) which you place inside your robe.</p>
472        <p>If you have chosen Alchemy as one of your Magical Powers, then you will have a leather pouch for herbs and potions hanging from your belt. The Herb Pouch contains the following:</p>
473
474        <ul>
475         <li>2 empty Vials for carrying potions</li>
476         <li>1 Vial containing Saltpetre</li>
477         <li>1 Vial containing Sulphur</li>
478        </ul>
479
480        <p>Mark these 4 items in your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
481        <p>Your Herb Pouch will carry a maximum of eight items.</p>
482
483        <p>On your last day on the Isle of Lorn, your Shianti Masters offer you the following gifts to aid you in your quest. According to Shianti custom, you may choose one of them. They are:</p>
484
485        <ul>
486         <li>Jewelled Dagger (Special Item) This adds 1 point to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> when used in combat.<footref id="equipmnt-1" idref="equipmnt-1-foot"/></li>
487         <li>Magic Talisman (Special Item) This adds 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> total.<footref id="equipmnt-2" idref="equipmnt-2-foot"/></li>
488         <li>Vial of Laumspur (Backpack Item) This restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for one dose.</li>
489        </ul>
490
491        <p>When you have made your choice, mark the item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> under the headings given in brackets, and make a note of any effect it may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>, <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>, or <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> totals.</p>
492
493        <section class="frontmatter" id="howcarry">
494         <meta><title>How to Carry Equipment</title></meta>
495
496         <data>
497          <p>Now that you have your equipment, the following list shows you how it is carried. You do not need to make notes, but you should refer back to this list in the course of your adventure.</p>
498
499          <ul>
500           <li>Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
501           <li>Backpack<ch.emdash/>slung over the shoulder.</li>
502           <li>Meals<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
503           <li>Jewelled Dagger<ch.emdash/>tucked into your belt.</li>
504           <li>Magic Talisman<ch.emdash/>worn on a chain around your neck</li>
505           <li>Vial of Laumspur<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
506          </ul>
507         </data>
508        </section>
509
510        <section class="frontmatter" id="howmuch">
511         <meta><title>How Much Can You Carry?</title></meta>
512
513         <data>
514          <dl>
515           <dt>Weapons</dt>
516            <dd>The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is <em>two</em>. Your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff counts as one weapon.</dd>
517
518           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
519            <dd>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may only keep a maximum of eight articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.</dd>
520
521           <dt>Special Items</dt>
522            <dd>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.</dd>
523
524           <dt>Nobles (Shadakine currency)</dt>
525            <dd>These are carried in the pocket of your robe.</dd>
526
527           <dt>Food</dt>
528            <dd>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.</dd>
529          </dl>
530
531          <p>Any item that may be of use and can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> is given capital letters in the text. Unless you are told it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.<footref id="equipmnt-3" idref="equipmnt-3-foot"/></p>
532         </data>
533        </section>
534
535        <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
536         <meta><title>How to Use Your Equipment</title></meta>
537
538         <data>
539          <dl>
540           <dt>Weapons</dt>
541            <dd>Your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> depends on your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. If you do not possess your Staff when you enter combat you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you enter a combat without a weapon, deduct 8 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight with your bare hands. If you find a weapon during the adventure, you may pick it up and use it. (Remember that you can only carry <em>two</em> Weapons at once.)<footref id="equipmnt-4" idref="equipmnt-4-foot"/></dd>
542
543           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
544            <dd>During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may wish to keep. (Remember that you can only carry a maximum of eight items in your Backpack at any one time.) You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</dd>
545
546           <dt>Special Items</dt>
547            <dd>Each Special Item has a particular purpose or effect. You may be told this when the item is discovered, or it may be revealed to you as the adventure progresses.</dd>
548
549           <dt>Currency</dt>
550            <dd>The currency of the Shadakine Empire is the Noble, which is a small jade stone. The system of money is alien to the Shianti, and for this reason you begin your adventure with no money. Whenever you kill an enemy, you may take any Nobles belonging to him and keep them in the pocket of your robe.</dd>
551
552           <dt>Food</dt>
553            <dd>You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</dd>
554          </dl>
555         </data>
556        </section>
557       </data>
558      </section>
559
560      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
561       <meta>
562        <title>Rules for Combat</title>
563        <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
564        <link class="next" idref="sage" />
565       </meta>
566
567       <data>
568        <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Grey Star<ch.apos/>s aim during the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while at the same time losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible himself.</p>
569        <p>At the start of a combat, enter Grey Star<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
570        <p>The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
571        <ol class="paragraphed">
572         <li>
573          <p>Calculate your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total, based on the weapon you are using. (Remember, if you enter combat without your Staff, you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you have no weapon at all, you must deduct 8 points.)</p></li>
574         <li>
575          <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p></li>
576         <li>
577          <p><a id="stage3">If you are using your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff</a>, decide how many <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you wish to use. (Remember, you must expend at least 1 point.) Enter this number on your Combat Record in the box marked <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>.</p>
578          <p>Example</p>
579           <p>Grey Star (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 15, <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> 23) is ambushed by a Deathgaunt (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 20). He is not given the opportunity to evade combat, but he can use his Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff against the creature as it swoops down on him. He subtracts the Deathgaunt<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.minus/>5. (15 <ch.minus/> 20 = <ch.minus/>5). <ch.minus/>5 is noted on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio. Grey Star decides to use 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, which is noted on the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> box of the Combat Record.</p></li>
580
581         <li><p>When you have decided upon the number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you wish to use and have determined your Combat Ratio, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
582         <li>
583          <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a> on the inside back cover of the book. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked. (The random numbers appear on the side of the chart.) You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by Grey Star. To calculate the number lost by the enemy, multiply the number listed for the enemy by the number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points that Grey Star elected to use. Now you have the final number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Grey Star and his enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; GS represents points lost by Grey Star.)</p>
584          <p>Example</p>
585          <p>The Combat Ratio between Grey Star and the Deathgaunt has been established as <ch.minus/>5, and Grey Star<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points used as 2. If the number taken from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 6, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
586          <ul>
587           <li>Grey Star loses 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
588           <li>Deathgaunt loses 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, multiplied by 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, giving a total of 10 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost in all.</li>
589          </ul>
590         </li>
591         <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat, and Grey Star<ch.apos/>s amended <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points total.</p></li>
592         <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
593         <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
594        </ol>
595
596        <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Grey Star are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Grey Star is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Grey Star proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
597        <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
598
599        <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
600         <meta>
601          <title>Evasion of Combat</title>
602         </meta>
603
604         <data>
605          <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only Grey Star may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but then that is the risk of running away! You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
606         </data>
607        </section>
608       </data>
609      </section>
610
611     </data>
612    </section>
613
614    <section class="frontmatter" id="sage">
615     <meta>
616      <title>Sage Advice</title>
617      <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
618      <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
619     </meta>
620
621     <data>
622      <p>You are about to embark on a quest of great peril, for your journey will take you to an unknown land that is dominated by evil. Refer to the <a idref="map">map</a> and make notes as you progress through the story: they are sure to be of great help to you in future adventures.</p>
623      <p>You will discover items that could be of help to you on your quest. Some Special Items may aid you in future <cite>Grey Star</cite> adventures, others may be red herrings of no real use at all; so be selective in what you decide to keep.</p>
624      <p>Be cautious in your use of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, as your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> is the energy source for your Magical Powers and your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. A <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score of zero or below will leave you weak and vulnerable to attack, unable to offer effective resistance.</p>
625      <p>Follow the path of wisdom, Wizard Grey Star. The way of fools is the road to destruction.</p>
626      <p>Good luck!</p>
627     </data>
628    </section>
629
630    <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
631     <meta>
632      <title>Numbered Sections</title>
633     </meta>
634
635     <data>
636      <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
637       <meta><title>1</title></meta>
638
639       <data>
640        <p>It is a grim, chill morning, your last on the Isle of Lorn. With quaking heart, you enter the sacred temple of Amida to receive the silent blessing of your Shianti masters. They stand around you, heads bowed in meditation. At length, the ceremony ends and Maiteya, your old friend and teacher, steps forward, and grasps you firmly by the shoulders. You look into his glittering eyes and see yourself reflected there, for the eyes of the Shianti race are not coloured like man<ch.apos/>s but have pupils that cast reflections like mirrored glass.</p>
641       <illustration class="float">
642         <meta>
643          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
644          <description>With quaking heart you enter the sacred temple of Amida.</description>
645         </meta>
646         <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/png"/>
647         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
648         <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="642" />
649        </illustration>
650        <p><quote>Grey Star,</quote> he says, a warm smile lighting his serene face, <quote>the time has come for you to leave. Far will you travel and perilous is your course. Be not afraid, yet do not fear caution. Though you go with the teaching and blessing of the Shianti and carry the might of the Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, stealth and secrecy will be your allies. Let not courage defeat wisdom. Go now and seek the Kundi race that is called the Lost Tribe of Lara. You are the instrument of our will, bearer of our hope. Ever will your quest be in our minds and hearts.</quote></p>
651        <p>Without a word, you turn and leave the temple, not looking back until you reach the shore, where a sail boat awaits you. With a gentle sigh, you bid farewell to the island of your youth and push the little craft into the cold waters of the Sea of Dreams. You jump into the boat and set sail, making a westward course for the distant mainland of the Shadakine Empire.</p>
652        <choice idref="sect202">If you have the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use it to aid your voyage, <link-text>turn to 202</link-text>.</choice>
653        <choice idref="sect168">If you do not possess this Power, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
654       </data>
655      </section>
656
657      <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
658       <meta><title>2</title></meta>
659
660       <data>
661        <p>The way leads south through the farms and paddy fields of the region. The path keeps firmly to the line of the Azan River as it curves towards the great Azagad Gorge, a great pitted canyon of weathered limestone columns. In order to maintain the secrecy of your presence, you avoid the homesteads that nestle by the river.</p>
662        <p>You walk for two long days and must consume 2 Meals or lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. The regulated squares of the rice fields become fewer and fewer, and finally give way to a flat expanse of unyielding plains called the Wilderwastes, which are devoid of human habitation. That night, you make camp on the leeward side of a small outcrop of hills.</p>
663        <choice idref="sect24"><link-text>Turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
664       </data>
665      </section>
666
667      <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
668       <meta><title>3</title></meta>
669
670       <data>
671        <p>You leave the road, and after travelling a short way through the thickening trees, you discover a small clearing sheltered by a large, overhanging Acacia tree.</p>
672        <p>You decide to rest here. You are hungry and must eat 1 Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, and 2 Meals (if you have any left) must be given to Tanith and Shan. (Remember to cross all these from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
673        <p>You have no blankets and dare not start a fire for fear of revealing your hiding place, but fortunately it is a warm night. Shan and Tanith insist that you sleep while they take it in turns to keep watch. Wryly, you point out that it is the first time that they have agreed about anything.</p>
674        <choice idref="sect85">If you decide to take up their offer, <link-text>turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
675        <choice idref="sect275">If you would prefer to take the first watch, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
676       </data>
677      </section>
678
679      <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
680       <meta><title>4</title></meta>
681
682       <data>
683        <p>You vault onto the dead tree, using your Staff for support. Hauling yourself to the top, you reach out and grab the thick branch of a Giant Azawood. Your chest contracts with pain every time you draw breath and the humid, fetid air clings to the sides of your throat. Slowly and painfully, you climb the tall tree while the columns of insects march relentlessly towards you, their pincers gnashing and clacking in crazed fury.</p>
684        <p>Grimly you ignore the savage pain of your wounded leg. Looking up you gasp with dismay, for a line of Cave Mantiz has somehow gained the branch above your head. Those behind are nearly upon you, and in desperation, you clamber along the nearest branch. The further you crawl along the narrowing tree limb, the greater the swaying of the branch as it bends under your weight.</p>
685        <p>You turn to see a line of insects scurrying along the branch towards you: there is no escape. With one last effort of will you use all your remaining <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points in an attempt to clear the branch of the Cave Mantiz.</p>
686        <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
687       </data>
688      </section>
689
690      <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
691       <meta><title>5</title></meta>
692
693       <data>
694        <p>You hurl a bolt from your Staff at the plant that threatens Shan. It is quickly destroyed by the searing blue flame, but the effort has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
695        <illustration class="inline">
696         <meta>
697          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
698         </meta>
699         <instance class="html" src="small10.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
700         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small10.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
701         <instance class="pdf" src="small10.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
702        </illustration>
703        <p>Suddenly, you are aware that creepers are clutching at your legs. As you crash to the ground, a tendril coils around your throat and pulls you towards the poison barbs of another Yaku plant. You are being slowly strangled to death and must lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
704        <choice idref="sect42"><link-text>Turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
705       </data>
706      </section>
707
708      <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
709       <meta><title>6</title></meta>
710
711       <data>
712        <p>You push onwards into the heart of the <quote>Dragon<ch.apos/>s Teeth</quote>. The sun beats savagely on your heads. You lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points due to heat exhaustion before you reach the far side of the gorge and sight the Great Wall of Azakawa.</p>
713        <p>In the evening light you regard with awe the towering cliff-face, stretching like a vast curtain of rock from east to west as far as the eye can see.</p>
714        <p>You press on, anxious to reach the Azanam by nightfall.</p>
715        <choice idref="sect325"><link-text>Turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
716       </data>
717      </section>
718
719      <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
720       <meta><title>7</title></meta>
721
722       <data>
723        <p>You learn that the girl<ch.apos/>s name is Tanith. She is a novice in the ways of witchcraft and is in the service of Mother Magri, her protector and guardian. She is very beautiful and has long, dark, unkempt hair and wild green eyes. <quote>They say that you are a wizard and that you challenged the truthsay of the Kazim Stone,</quote> she says, curiously.</p>
724        <p><quote>Of course,</quote> you reply, a little boastfully, wishing to impress this ragged but winsome creature.</p>
725        <p><quote>That is very bad,</quote> she says, shaking her head. <quote>Mother Magri will have you tortured. The ways of the Shadaki are very cruel. Tonight, you will be taken to the Darkling Room and you will experience great pain and terror.</quote></p>
726        <p><quote>Then I must escape this place,</quote> you say, fearfully. <quote>Can you help me?</quote></p>
727        <p>Tanith gazes at you, a frightened expression on her face. <quote>No<ch.ellips/>No<ch.ellips/>The danger<ch.ellips/>I cannot<ch.ellips/>I dare not!</quote> She takes a dried flower from the pocket of her dress, and sprinkles its powdered petals into your food. <quote>This will help fortify you before your ordeal,</quote> she explains, her voice trembling. <quote>I can do no more.</quote></p>
728        <p>She jumps to her feet. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m sorry<ch.ellips/></quote> She falters, a longing note in her voice, and then she disappears.</p>
729        <choice idref="sect270"><link-text>Turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
730       </data>
731      </section>
732
733      <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
734       <meta><title>8</title></meta>
735
736       <data>
737        <p>You crawl into the shelter of the tiny cave, scarcely large enough to contain you, and immediately notice a small tunnel leading upwards. The ghostly mist of Lake Shenwu lingers on the cave floor, dimly lighting the rough-hewn ceiling and walls.</p>
738        <p>You are tired and need to sleep.</p>
739        <choice idref="sect14">If you wish to sleep here, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
740        <choice idref="sect19">If you would rather enter the tunnel, <link-text>turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
741       </data>
742      </section>
743
744      <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
745       <meta><title>9</title></meta>
746
747       <data>
748        <p>Bravely you fight off the soldier Mantiz, but soon the whole nest is upon you and, in a matter of minutes, they have stripped your flesh to the bone.</p>
749        <deadend>Your life and your quest end tragically, here.</deadend>
750       </data>
751      </section>
752
753      <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
754       <meta><title>10</title></meta>
755
756       <data>
757        <p>You get up and walk over to Tanith, who looks up with a startled expression.</p>
758        <p><quote>Grey Star,</quote> she gasps, <quote>I<ch.ellips/>I could not resist. I am sorry<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
759        <choice idref="sect51">If you have the Kazim Stone, <link-text>turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
760        <choice idref="sect90">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 90</link-text>.</choice>
761       </data>
762      </section>
763
764      <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
765       <meta><title>11</title></meta>
766
767       <data>
768        <p>Before the Shadakine come any nearer, you loose a bolt of force from your Staff, killing one of them outright. The attack has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. The remaining warrior hangs back. At first you think that he has simply lost his nerve, but then notice with sinking heart that more Shadakine are approaching from behind. They are armed with crossbows, which are aimed directly at you.</p>
769        <p><quote>Surrender or die,</quote> shouts one of the Shadakine.</p>
770        <choice idref="sect300">If you wish to surrender, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
771        <choice idref="sect66">If you decide to attack, <link-text>turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
772        <choice idref="sect20">If you wish to turn and make a run for it, <link-text>turn to 20</link-text>.</choice>
773       </data>
774      </section>
775
776      <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
777       <meta><title>12</title></meta>
778
779       <footnotes>
780        <footnote id="sect12-1-foot" idref="sect12-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
781       </footnotes>
782
783       <data>
784        <p>At the expense of 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points,<footref id="sect12-1" idref="sect12-1-foot"/> you are able to cut a path through the smoking remains of the Yaku. Soon you are completely free of them, and in the fading light you come within sight of the Great Wall of Azakawa.</p>
785        <choice idref="sect325"><link-text>Turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
786       </data>
787      </section>
788
789      <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
790       <meta><title>13</title></meta>
791
792       <data>
793        <p>The forest is very near and it is a dark night. Fortunately, you have not been seen. Diving into the undergrowth at the forest<ch.apos/>s edge, you lie as still as possible as the Shadakine chariot rattles past at breakneck speed. The vicious blades on the wheel hubs flash as the chariot passes dangerously close to your hiding place.</p>
794        <illustration class="inline">
795         <meta>
796          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
797         </meta>
798         <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
799         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
800         <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
801        </illustration>
802        <p>You wait with bated breath for several minutes after it has passed, but the chariot does not return.</p>
803        <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
804       </data>
805      </section>
806
807      <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
808       <meta><title>14</title></meta>
809
810       <data>
811        <p>It is a sleep from which you will not awaken. The poisonous mist overwhelms you as you slumber. The cave has become your tomb, and your body will never be found.</p>
812        <deadend>You have failed in your quest.</deadend>
813       </data>
814      </section>
815
816      <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
817       <meta><title>15</title></meta>
818
819       <footnotes>
820        <footnote id="sect15-1-foot" idref="sect15-1"><p>The exact nature of this restoration of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> is unclear. There is a general consensus that you should multiply your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> scores by 1.5 (i.e. you may add one half of your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points value to your score), remembering that you may not exceed your starting value; and you may add one half of your current <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> value to your score, irrespective of whether this exceeds your starting value.</p></footnote>
821       </footnotes>
822
823       <data>
824        <p>You leave the Chansi Hills far behind and cross the Suhni River once more, following its winding course through the dense forest. Tanith continues to summon small game, a sight which you still find disturbing. Shan leads you through the forest, but this time you encounter no Shadakine patrols.</p>
825        <p>You are not required to exert any Magical Power and may restore your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to the value of one half your current totals. (Remember that unlike your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> total, your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total may never exceed the number with which you started your adventure.)<footref id="sect15-1" idref="sect15-1-foot"/></p>
826        <choice idref="sect218"><link-text>Turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
827       </data>
828      </section>
829
830      <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
831       <meta><title>16</title></meta>
832
833       <data>
834        <p>When you agree to the paltry price of 20 Nobles, the old man brightens visibly. He hands you the 20 jade stones and you place them in the pocket of your robe. Mark these on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
835        <p>You try to coax some information from him and ask about the legend of the Lost Tribe of Lara. However, he is reluctant to talk, looking away from you and shifting uneasily from one foot to the other, seemingly anxious to be gone.</p>
836        <p><quote>Try the Inn of the Laughing Moon at the end of yonder street,</quote> he mutters finally. <quote>You<ch.apos/>ll find plenty of traveller<ch.apos/>s talk there.</quote></p>
837        <p>Following the direction of his finger, you see a dark, narrow street leading from the harbour area. When you turn back to face him, you find that you are alone. The old man has disappeared into the night.</p>
838        <choice idref="sect200">If you want to enter the narrow street, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
839        <choice idref="sect100">If you would rather explore the harbour front, <link-text>turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
840       </data>
841      </section>
842
843      <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
844       <meta><title>17</title></meta>
845
846       <data>
847        <p>You step into the thick, muddy water and immediately scream in pain. Your flesh feels as if it is on fire. You fall head-first into the poisonous waters of Lake Shenwu, and in a matter of minutes, you have drowned.</p>
848        <deadend>Lake Shenwu has claimed another victim, and you have failed in your quest.</deadend>
849       </data>
850      </section>
851
852      <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
853       <meta><title>18</title></meta>
854
855       <data>
856        <p>It appears your new companions put great faith in your leadership: a faith that is only slightly shaken when you admit that you have very little idea of where to go. You explain that your quest is to find the Lost Tribe of Lara (though you do not tell them its origin or true purpose), and suggest that Shan guides you. <quote>There is no obligation upon you to remain with me, though,</quote> you tell Tanith and Shan. <quote>You are free to do as you please.</quote></p>
857        <p><quote>I, for one, have no other place to go,</quote> says Tanith. <quote>Mother Magri was a cruel mistress and I would gladly aid any opponent of the rule of the Wytch-king and his servants.</quote></p>
858        <p><quote>And I, too,</quote> says Shan. <quote>But which way shall we go? We must keep moving, for it is certain that the Shadakine are searching for us.</quote></p>
859       <illustration class="float">
860         <meta>
861          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
862          <description>There is a pause while you all consider the problem.</description>
863         </meta>
864         <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/png"/>
865         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
866         <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="644" />
867        </illustration>
868        <p>There is a pause while you all consider the problem. Finally you ask if they have any suggestions. Shan<ch.apos/>s advice is to journey south to the Azanam, which he believes to be the most likely haunt of the lost tribe, and he offers to guide you there.</p>
869        <p><quote>But if you are wrong,</quote> says Tanith, <quote>we will have journeyed far and into great danger unnecessarily. We need guidance. Three days<ch.apos/> travel to the north of here lives Jnana the Wise, a hermit sage, <quote>He Who Serves No Master</quote>. I can take you to him.</quote></p>
870        <choice idref="sect264">If you have the Medallion of the <quote>Redeemer</quote> <em>and</em> the Vial of Pink Liquid, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
871        <choice idref="sect190">If you decide to take Shan<ch.apos/>s advice, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
872        <choice idref="sect134">If you wish to seek the counsel of Jnana the Wise, <link-text>turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
873       </data>
874      </section>
875
876      <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
877       <meta><title>19</title></meta>
878
879       <data>
880        <p>The tunnel is very narrow and you have to crawl on your hands and knees. It slopes gently upwards, and as you continue, your body is squeezed tighter and tighter between the smooth stone walls. You feel that you must soon suffocate in the claustrophobic darkness. Then, finally and with great relief, you reach the end of the tunnel and pull yourself through, panting and sweating.</p>
881        <p>It is still pitch dark, but you are able to stand, and you sense that you are in some kind of cavern.</p>
882        <choice idref="sect35">If you have a Torch and Tinderbox, and wish to light the Torch in order to take a look around, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
883        <choice idref="sect46">If you would rather exert 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point to create a small glow from your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
884        <choice idref="sect59">If you do not have either of these items, or if you do not wish to use them, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
885       </data>
886      </section>
887
888      <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
889       <meta><title>20</title></meta>
890
891       <data>
892        <p>You are left with only seconds in which to regret your foolish decision. The Shadakine warriors do not feel the least compunction about shooting a man in the back, and your body is soon fatally punctured by a crossbow bolt.</p>
893        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
894       </data>
895      </section>
896
897      <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
898       <meta><title>21</title></meta>
899
900       <data>
901        <p>You journey along the road and, to Shan<ch.apos/>s surprise, discover that it is deserted. <quote>I can<ch.apos/>t understand it,</quote> he says, puzzled. <quote>This road is usually teeming with traders.</quote></p>
902        <p>You have been walking for three hours when you sight a wagon parked by the roadside. A group of men are sitting around a campfire near a small grove of trees. <quote>Wait here,</quote> says Shan. <quote>I<ch.apos/>ll see if I can get some information out of these merchants about the road that lies ahead.</quote></p>
903        <p>He returns shortly, carrying a short sword. He smiles broadly. <quote>A bargain,</quote> he says. <quote>Only 5 Nobles. It must be worth at least 20. Always ready to strike a bargain with a fool,</quote> he beams.</p>
904        <p><quote>What about the road?</quote> asks Tanith, impatiently. <quote>Why is it empty?</quote></p>
905        <p><quote>The Shadakine are searching for us,</quote> he replies. <quote>The roads and bridges have been closed until they discover us. These merchants were stranded and have made camp.</quote></p>
906        <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>ll have to keep to the cover of the forest from now on,</quote> you say, worried. You enter the forest and continue your journey cautiously.</p>
907        <choice idref="sect39"><link-text>Turn to 39</link-text>.</choice>
908       </data>
909      </section>
910
911      <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
912       <meta><title>22</title></meta>
913
914       <data>
915        <p>You run up the curving tunnel but are forced to stop after a little way. The low-ceilinged passage is now in total darkness, and you cannot even see your hand stretched out before your face.</p>
916        <p>If you have a Torch and Tinderbox, you may light the Torch to help you to see your way. If you do not have a Torch, or would prefer not to use it, you may expend 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point creating a light from the tip of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. This light will last until you extinguish it, and you will not have to use any more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to keep it alight.</p>
917        <choice idref="sect122">If you choose to continue in darkness, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
918        <choice idref="sect334">If you choose to light your way, <link-text>turn to 334</link-text>.</choice>
919       </data>
920      </section>
921
922      <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
923       <meta><title>23</title></meta>
924
925       <data>
926        <p>Stepping as lightly as you can, you turn right, with Shan following close behind. At the end of the corridor are two stairways<ch.emdash/>both leading upwards.</p>
927        <choice idref="sect92">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>. (Note this section number first as you will need to return to it later.)</choice>
928        <choice idref="sect137">If you wish to take the left stairway, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
929        <choice idref="sect321">If you wish to take the right stairway, <link-text>turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
930       </data>
931      </section>
932
933      <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
934       <meta><title>24</title></meta>
935
936       <data>
937        <p>You fall into an uneasy sleep in which you are troubled by strange dreams. You wake with a start in the middle of the night to see Tanith crouched over the dying embers of the campfire, which glows with a dull, yellow light.</p>
938        <choice idref="sect10">If you wish to investigate, <link-text>turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
939        <choice idref="sect33">If you wish to pretend that you are sleeping, <link-text>turn to 33</link-text>.</choice>
940       </data>
941      </section>
942
943      <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
944       <meta><title>25</title></meta>
945
946       <data>
947        <p>You recognize the small antechamber. It was here that Mother Magri subjected you to the test of truth, using the Kazim Stone. The terrible, glowing sphere stands in the centre of the empty room on a small table; it is giving off a faint light.</p>
948        <choice idref="sect77">If you wish to take the Kazim Stone, <link-text>turn to 77</link-text>.</choice>
949        <choice idref="sect129">If you wish to leave the antechamber immediately, <link-text>turn to 129</link-text>.</choice>
950       </data>
951      </section>
952
953      <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
954       <meta><title>26</title></meta>
955
956       <data>
957        <p>Glancing behind, you notice a small, weasel-faced man ducking in and out of the shadows cast by the flickering torchlight. You are being followed.</p>
958        <choice idref="sect97">If you wish to act as if nothing has happened, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
959        <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to confront the weasel-faced man, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
960        <choice idref="sect241">If you would prefer to leave the market square and make a run for it, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
961       </data>
962      </section>
963
964      <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
965       <meta><title>27</title></meta>
966
967       <data>
968        <p>With your Staff still crackling with wild energy, illuminating the alleyway, you turn around and run towards the narrow street for all you are worth.</p>
969        <choice idref="sect195"><link-text>Turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
970       </data>
971      </section>
972
973      <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
974       <meta><title>28</title></meta>
975
976       <data>
977        <p>In one swift, fluid movement, you rise to stand upon the shoulders of those who bear you. The mob lets out a rousing cheer that peters into silence as you dive into the mass of people packed tightly behind you. Your fall is cushioned by their bodies, and unharmed, you quickly scramble to your feet.</p>
978        <p>You hear the unmistakable sound of people crying out in pain as two Shadakine warriors beat a bloody path through the human wall that separates them from you.</p>
979        <choice idref="sect308">If you wish to aid the people you have just deserted, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
980        <choice idref="sect336">If you would rather escape under the cover of the ensuing chaos, <link-text>turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
981       </data>
982      </section>
983
984      <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
985       <meta><title>29</title></meta>
986
987       <data>
988        <p>As the river begins to narrow, the once clear waters of the Azan River become a murky brown. Close to the banks, there are many shallow inlets where stagnant pools and swamps are overgrown with clumps of rope-like tendrils. These tendrils form the branches of a large plant called the Yaku. The tendrils are sensitized vines that snake across the ground towards a pool or into the main river, for the rest of the limestone canyon is arid. At the heart of the Yaku plant is a cluster of sharp points, and Shan warns you to keep well clear of these poisoned barbs.</p>
989       <illustration class="float">
990         <meta>
991          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
992          <description>Stagnant pools and swamps are overgrown with clumps of rope-like tendrils.</description>
993         </meta>
994         <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="602"  mime-type="image/png"/>
995         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="602"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
996         <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="602" />
997        </illustration>
998        <p>It becomes increasingly hard to remain close to the river<ch.apos/>s edge without clusters of Yaku tendrils blocking your path.</p>
999        <choice idref="sect54">If you wish to move further away from the Azan River and the difficult ground that borders it, <link-text>turn to 54</link-text>.</choice>
1000        <choice idref="sect104">If you would prefer to keep to the river, thus following a direct path to the Wall of Azakawa and the cloud forests of the Azanam that lie beyond, <link-text>turn to 104</link-text>.</choice>
1001       </data>
1002      </section>
1003
1004      <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
1005       <meta><title>30</title></meta>
1006
1007       <footnotes>
1008        <footnote id="sect30-1-foot" idref="sect30-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1009       </footnotes>
1010
1011       <data>
1012        <p>It is impossible to see which Yaku stem the tendrils are attached to, so you attack the wriggling cluster with a wide, sweeping stroke of your Staff across them all; you exert 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.<footref id="sect30-1" idref="sect30-1-foot"/></p>
1013        <p>You have made the right decision; you have severed all the tendrils that threatened you. You are safe<ch.ellips/>for the moment.</p>
1014        <choice idref="sect128"><link-text>Turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
1015       </data>
1016      </section>
1017
1018      <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1019       <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1020
1021       <data>
1022        <p>You are very tired. Wearily, you close your eyes and call on the Elementals for their aid. Your chant ends, and at first, it seems that you have failed. Then you hear the sound of rushing water: a gigantic wave rises up further along the river. The foaming, white crest of the wave towers above the bridge in the shape of an outstretched hand. The watery fingers clench to form an immense fist that smashes onto the bridge, crushing it as though it were made of matchsticks, and drenching the three of you, as it washes the bridge downstream.</p>
1023        <p><quote>Such power!</quote> Tanith exclaims, her eyes shining with childish delight and admiration.</p>
1024        <p>The spell has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1025        <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
1026       </data>
1027      </section>
1028
1029      <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1030       <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1031
1032       <data>
1033        <p>Skilfully you wield your Staff, shielding yourself from the creature<ch.apos/>s deadly touch as it passes overhead. You watch as the Quoku climbs in the sky, flying in a wide circle to position itself for its next attack.</p>
1034        <p>Suddenly, the Quoku dives towards Shan.</p>
1035        <choice idref="sect107">If you wish to attempt a long-range attack on the Quoku, <link-text>turn to 107</link-text>.</choice>
1036        <choice idref="sect57">If you wish to try to defend Shan from the attack, <link-text>turn to 57</link-text>.</choice>
1037       </data>
1038      </section>
1039
1040      <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1041       <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1042
1043       <data>
1044        <p>Tanith is talking quietly, addressing her words to the fire. <quote>No Mother, I will not<ch.ellips/>I cannot<ch.ellips/></quote> A diminutive figure shivering by the dwindling fire, she is obviously greatly distressed. Perhaps her conscience troubles her?</p>
1045        <choice idref="sect10">If you wish to investigate, <link-text>turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
1046        <choice idref="sect69">If you wish to leave Tanith to the privacy of her own thoughts, <link-text>turn to 69</link-text>.</choice>
1047       </data>
1048      </section>
1049
1050      <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1051       <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1052
1053       <data>
1054        <p>The alley is deserted. Peering into the dark shadows, you step cautiously into the darkness. Suddenly you are grabbed from behind and a knife is held at your throat.</p>
1055        <p><quote>Turn around,</quote> a voice whispers, menacingly. <quote>Slowly, or I<ch.apos/>ll cut your throat. Then hand over your money.</quote></p>
1056        <p>Slowly you turn to face the shabby thief.</p>
1057        <illustration class="inline">
1058         <meta>
1059          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1060         </meta>
1061         <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1062         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1063         <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1064        </illustration>
1065        <choice idref="sect76">If you do not have any money, or if you have money but do not wish to hand it over, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1066        <choice idref="sect133">If you prefer to hand over your money, <link-text>turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
1067       </data>
1068      </section>
1069
1070      <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1071       <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1072
1073       <data>
1074        <p>In the flaring light, you see a narrow chamber with smooth walls. It looks like neither a natural cavern, nor like anything a man might carve. The floor is strewn with dead leaves, twigs, a few scattered bones, and ancient dust. Leading from the cavern is another tunnel, slightly wider than the one you have just come through. A cool breeze is coming from it, freshening the musty air.</p>
1075        <p>You are falling asleep on your feet, and throwing caution to the wind, you decide that you will rest here, for the cavern looks as if it has been deserted for a very long time. You extinguish your light and lie down to sleep.</p>
1076        <choice idref="sect59"><link-text>Turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
1077       </data>
1078      </section>
1079
1080      <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1081       <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1082
1083       <data>
1084
1085        <p><quote>My name is Tanith,</quote> the girl announces. <quote>What<ch.apos/>s yours?</quote> You tell her your name, still stunned at her apparent coldness.</p>
1086        <p><quote>I am learning the ways of witchcraft in the service of Mother Magri,</quote> she continues. <quote>She says you<ch.apos/>re a wizard; is that true?</quote></p>
1087        <p><quote>Of course,</quote> you reply, a little boastfully. For some reason, you wish to impress this beautiful, young girl with wild, unkempt hair<ch.emdash/>all ragged and black<ch.emdash/>and penetrating, green eyes.</p>
1088        <p><quote>That is very bad. Mother Magri will have you tortured as an enemy of the Wytch-king. She will take you to the Darkling Room.</quote></p>
1089        <p><quote>Then I must escape,</quote> you blurt out. <quote>Can you help me?</quote></p>
1090        <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve often dreamed of leaving here,</quote> she says wistfully. <quote>Perhaps you could take me with you?</quote></p>
1091        <p><quote>Yes<ch.ellips/>yes,</quote> you say, willing her to aid you. She pauses, a blank expression on her face. <quote>But it would take more than a boy and a fat man to do that,</quote> she snaps angrily, suddenly breaking into peals of girlish laughter. And she flounces away wearing a smug expression, and leaving you with your hopes shattered.</p>
1092        <p><quote>She must have come to taunt us,</quote> says Shan. <quote>Such spiteful people these Shadakine!</quote> You finish your food and try to conceive a plan that will gain your freedom.</p>
1093        <choice idref="sect201">If you wish to try to sleep in order to build up your strength, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
1094        <choice idref="sect144">If you do not wish to sleep, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
1095       </data>
1096      </section>
1097
1098      <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1099       <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1100
1101       <data>
1102        <p>A quick search of the body reveals the Gaoler<ch.apos/>s Keys (a Special Item which you carry in your hand) and 3 Nobles. You may keep these items and also his Dagger if you wish. Remember to mark them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
1103        <p>There is no other exit from this room and you head back towards the other stairway.</p>
1104        <choice idref="sect137"><link-text>Turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
1105       </data>
1106      </section>
1107
1108      <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1109       <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1110
1111       <data>
1112        <p>For three days you trace a path along the Suhni River as it winds through the heart of the forest. You carry no provisions, but Tanith is able to provide food for you all. She displays an uncanny control over animals, calling to the mesmerized creatures in a strange language and then coolly wringing their necks.</p>
1113        <p>On your journey, you manage to avoid the frequent Shadakine patrols that dog your path, and as you are not required to use any magic, you may restore 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> and 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your current totals.</p>
1114        <p>You discover clumps of the Laumspur herb growing along the river and decide to pick some of it. If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, you may store it in your Herb Pouch. Remember to mark the Laumspur on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. Swallowing it will regain 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If you do not have the Power of Alchemy, you must swallow the Laumspur while it is fresh to regain 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and may not store it.</p>
1115        <p>As you are picking the Laumspur, three Shadakine warriors burst out of the forest. You have been ambushed.</p>
1116        <choice idref="sect117"><link-text>Turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1117       </data>
1118      </section>
1119
1120      <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1121       <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1122
1123       <data>
1124        <p>Moving under cover of the forest<ch.apos/>s edge, Shan leads the way along a worn path. Unexpectedly, he stops, head tilted to one side, listening intently. <quote>What is it?</quote> you whisper.</p>
1125        <p><quote>I heard a shout, ahead of us. Listen!</quote> In the distance, you can hear angry voices and the ring of steel against steel. Cautiously, you creep forward and peer through the dense undergrowth.</p>
1126       <illustration class="float">
1127         <meta>
1128          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1129          <description>The knights are defending a heavily laden wagon.</description>
1130         </meta>
1131         <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="622"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1132         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="622"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1133         <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="622" />
1134        </illustration>
1135        <p>Six armoured knights, clad in blue and red robes, are battling with twenty Shadakine warriors. The knights are defending a heavily laden wagon that stands in the middle of a wide stone bridge. Perched on the wagon sits an unarmed man, richly clothed, looking fearfully upon the battle. He and his knights are outnumbered. Though skilled swordsmen, as the many Shadakine dead attest, they are hard-pressed and have little chance of holding the bridge.</p>
1136        <p><quote>They don<ch.apos/>t stand a chance,</quote> you murmur.</p>
1137        <p><quote>But these are no ordinary soldiers,</quote> replies Shan. <quote>Look at the design on their shields<ch.emdash/>a mountain crowned with two stars. They bear the Royal Arms of Durenor. These are Knights of the White Mountain, warrior lords of Durenor, a free kingdom in the far north.</quote></p>
1138        <p>If you are to continue your journey south along the Azan River, you will have to somehow pass this battle without the Shadakine seeing you.</p>
1139        <choice idref="sect55">If you wish to go to the aid of the Knights of the White Mountain, <link-text>turn to 55</link-text>.</choice>
1140        <choice idref="sect208">If you wish to try to skirt around the battle and cross the road, <link-text>turn to 208</link-text>.</choice>
1141       </data>
1142      </section>
1143
1144      <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1145       <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1146
1147       <data>
1148        <p>You dash away from the harbour and along the narrow street, darting like a hunted beast among the doorways and shadows. Tall warehouse buildings rise up on either side of the street, and the only sound you can hear is that of your own footsteps.</p>
1149        <p>You have run only a short way when you reach a crossroads. The right and left turnings lead into alleyways, while the narrow street continues ahead.</p>
1150        <choice idref="sect64">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
1151        <choice idref="sect223">If you wish to turn into the left alleyway, <link-text>turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
1152        <choice idref="sect76">If you wish to turn into the right alleyway, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1153        <choice idref="sect195">If you would rather continue along the narrow street, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1154       </data>
1155      </section>
1156
1157      <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1158       <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1159
1160       <data>
1161        <p>You are running down a long winding passage. There are many doors leading from the corridor but you have no way of knowing which to open. You look ahead and a chill runs down your spine. At the far end of the passage you see someone approaching, wielding a tall staff.</p>
1162        <choice idref="sect349"><link-text>Turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
1163       </data>
1164      </section>
1165
1166      <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1167       <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1168
1169       <data>
1170        <p>You are now held by an ever-increasing number of creepers that curl around your body. With cries of frustration, Shan slices away the creeper that is wound round your neck and arms. But he fears he is fighting a futile battle, for the poison barbs of the Yaku plant wave inches from your face. You are both enmeshed in a web of tightening vines. To your dismay, you lose hold of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, and watch helplessly as it rolls out of reach. You must make a life or death decision and only seconds remain.</p>
1171        <choice idref="sect216">If you possess the Jewelled Dagger of your Shianti Masters and wish to strike at the Yaku plant before it impales you upon its poison barbs, <link-text>turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
1172        <choice idref="sect262">If you possess any other Weapon (other than your Staff) and wish to attack the crimson heart of the Yaku, <link-text>turn to 262</link-text>.</choice>
1173        <choice idref="sect119">If you wish to tell Shan to plunge his sword into the Yaku plant, <link-text>turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
1174       </data>
1175      </section>
1176
1177      <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1178       <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1179
1180       <footnotes>
1181        <footnote id="sect43-1-foot" idref="sect43-1"><p>You cannot keep Shan<ch.apos/>s Backpack. Any items you decide to keep must be transferred to your own Backpack, or perhaps to your Herb Pouch if you have one and want to keep the Small Vial of Laumspur.</p></footnote>
1182       </footnotes>
1183
1184       <data>
1185        <p>The lake is very wide. The roar from the Shenwu Falls is deafening. The waters fall hundreds of feet before cascading into the swirling currents below. Beyond the area of the waterfall the lake is strangely still. A writhing mist hangs suspended in the air. The mist is strangely luminous and allows you to see the foul yellow water beneath. Around the edge of the lake, the ground is completely bare; you cannot see a single living thing. You empty Shan<ch.apos/>s Backpack and discover the following items:</p>
1186        <ul>
1187         <li>Enough food for 3 Meals</li>
1188         <li>Small Vial of Laumspur (restores 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points)</li>
1189         <li>2 Torches</li>
1190         <li>Coil of Rope</li>
1191         <li>Tinderbox</li>
1192        </ul>
1193        <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, mark them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.<footref id="sect43-1" idref="sect43-1-foot"/></p>
1194        <p>The mist gives off an acrid, choking vapour that racks your lungs. Coughing, you survey the sheer cliffs, towering ramparts of stone that stretch to the east and west in a vast semicircle. Directly above these cliffs is the Azanam, your final goal.</p>
1195        <choice idref="sect143">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 143</link-text>.</choice>
1196        <choice idref="sect68">If you wish to explore the basin and the area around Lake Shenwu, <link-text>turn to 68</link-text>.</choice>
1197        <choice idref="sect118">If you wish to try to find a way of scaling the cliffs, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1198       </data>
1199      </section>
1200
1201      <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1202       <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1203
1204       <data>
1205        <p>With an almighty blow, you cleave the skull of the Quoku in two. It emits a chilling shriek and falls back, writhing and twitching for a few seconds before finally expiring. But it is a hollow victory, for the lifeless body falls onto Shan<ch.apos/>s prone form.</p>
1206        <choice idref="sect317">If you wish to move the corpse of the Quoku, <link-text>turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
1207        <choice idref="sect335">If you would rather continue your journey, skirting around the perilous ravine, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1208       </data>
1209      </section>
1210
1211      <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1212       <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1213
1214       <data>
1215        <p>You climb a short flight of stairs. At the top of the stairs is a closed wooden door. You can hear muffled conversation and sporadic laughter coming from behind the door.</p>
1216        <choice idref="sect312">If you wish to open the door, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
1217        <choice idref="sect80">If you wish to head back and take the other stairway, <link-text>turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
1218       </data>
1219      </section>
1220
1221      <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1222       <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1223
1224       <data>
1225        <p>Expending 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, you cause the tip of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff to glow; its eerie light sends shadows dancing across the walls and ceiling of the cavern. You see that the cavern is empty.</p>
1226        <choice idref="sect35"><link-text>Turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
1227       </data>
1228      </section>
1229
1230      <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1231       <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1232
1233       <data>
1234        <p>Looking up, you see that the tunnel leads to an almost vertical shaft; the glare of sunlight blinds your eyes. Cursing breathlessly, you jump up and catch hold of a thick plant root protruding from the earth wall of the shaft and begin to climb. The narrow shaft is barely wide enough to let you pass and the climb is difficult and slow. Halfway up the shaft you cry out: you are stuck in a bottle-neck and can no longer move.</p>
1235        <p>The first of the enraged soldier Mantiz enters the shaft, and reaching out with its extended forelegs, it makes a grab for your flailing legs. A slash of burning pain ravages your right leg as a spurt of acid strips your calf to the bone. You lose 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1236        <p>With a desperate cry, you squeeze yourself through the gap and pull yourself free. Your leg is numb and hinders your climb, but with a superhuman effort you reach the top of the shaft. You have reached the surface at last and find yourself in a large clearing, surrounded by towering trees and dense, green foliage.</p>
1237        <choice idref="sect146"><link-text>Turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
1238       </data>
1239      </section>
1240
1241      <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1242       <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1243
1244       <data>
1245        <p>The bridge covers a large area and the magic shield that you place over it costs you 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. The extreme mental exertion has cost you dear. Your legs buckle under and you fall to the ground, barely conscious. Tanith and Shan pull you to your feet and half carry you into the shelter of the forest.</p>
1246        <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
1247       </data>
1248      </section>
1249
1250      <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1251       <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1252
1253       <data>
1254        <p>You take a few deep breaths and then run towards the ravine. You hurl yourself off the edge, high into space, and sail over the yawning chasm. With limbs flailing and hands reaching out desperately for the other side, you begin to descend.</p>
1255        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1256        <p>If you have the Silver Charm of Jnana the Wise, you may add 1 to this figure.</p>
1257        <p>If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> total is greater than 10, you may add 2 to your total.</p>
1258        <choice idref="sect274">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
1259        <choice idref="sect210">If it is 7<ch.endash/>12, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
1260       </data>
1261      </section>
1262
1263      <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1264       <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1265
1266       <data>
1267        <p>Before you can approach the main harbour gate, Shadakine war chariots thunder into the harbour area. The crowd scatters in terror, but the people cannot escape the rotating blades of the chariot wheels. Horrified, you watch as the Suhnese people are ruthlessly mown down by the Shadakine.</p>
1268        <p>Suddenly one of the chariots swerves and hurtles towards you. You hear the insane laugh of the driver, and as he draws closer, you see that his eyes have no pupils.</p>
1269        <p>You have barely a few seconds in which to act before the chariot is upon you.</p>
1270        <choice idref="sect40">If you wish to dive into the narrow street on your right, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
1271        <choice idref="sect155">If you wish to stand and fight, <link-text>turn to 155</link-text>.</choice>
1272       </data>
1273      </section>
1274
1275      <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1276       <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1277
1278       <data>
1279        <p>You look down and notice that the Kazim Stone lies in the fire. Tanith stole it from your Backpack while you slept. (Delete this Backpack Item from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.) You gaze into the Stone and see the haggard face of Mother Magri staring back at you. <quote>Now I have you, you young fool,</quote> she hisses.</p>
1280        <p>The glow of the fire grows more intense and bursts into renewed flame.</p>
1281        <choice idref="sect102"><link-text>Turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
1282       </data>
1283      </section>
1284
1285      <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1286       <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1287
1288       <data>
1289        <p>You wake the following morning, drained and depressed. Your traumatic experience has caused you to lose 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point during your sleep.</p>
1290        <p><quote>We must go on,</quote> insists Shan, <quote>to make her sacrifice worthwhile.</quote></p>
1291        <p>You know he is right, and wearily, you get to your feet and pull on your Backpack to continue your journey. <quote>We will reach the Azagad Gorge this afternoon if we set a good pace,</quote> says Shan.</p>
1292        <p>As the sun reaches its zenith, you notice how hot and humid the atmosphere has become. The plains of the Wilderwastes are now barren: a dry desert of ugly rocks and boulders stretches before you. You have many more days of travelling ahead of you and your food supplies are running low. The Azan River begins to narrow as you draw nearer to Lake Shenwu, the source of the river, lying beneath the Wall of Azakawa and the Shenwu Falls. Beyond that, lies the Azanam, home of the Lost Tribe of Lara.</p>
1293        <p>Shan draws your attention to a wooden shack to the east. It is a strange sight so far from civilization.</p>
1294        <choice idref="sect152">If you wish to investigate, <link-text>turn to 152</link-text>.</choice>
1295        <choice idref="sect227">If you would rather continue your journey, <link-text>turn to 227</link-text>.</choice>
1296       </data>
1297      </section>
1298
1299      <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1300       <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1301
1302       <data>
1303        <p>You do not wish to arouse the fisherman<ch.apos/>s suspicions any further. For this reason, you are unable to bring about the necessary state of meditation that enables you to see into the future. Instead, you reach out with your senses in an effort to determine the fisherman<ch.apos/>s true nature. Totally unaware of your intentions, he continues to haggle over the price of the boat as you probe the invisible aura that surrounds him.</p>
1304        <p>You sense that the one-eyed man means you no harm. He is the harbour watchman, a petty con-man who prowls round the harbour, spying on the illegal actions of smugglers and shady traders whom he then forces to buy his silence. He is offering you half the true value of your boat. However, your Power of Prophecy tells you that you might be glad of some money in the near future, and this may be your only chance of gaining some. You allow the watchman to cheat you.</p>
1305        <p>The use of this Magical Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1306        <choice idref="sect16"><link-text>Turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
1307       </data>
1308      </section>
1309
1310      <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1311       <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1312
1313       <data>
1314        <p>You head east, away from the line of the Azan River and into the <quote>Dragon<ch.apos/>s Teeth</quote>. Further from the river, the limestone pinnacles are spaced at closer intervals, and you are forced to weave a zigzagging path between them. Though the ground is free from foliage, your progress is just as difficult as before, since it proves impossible to walk in a straight line for more than twenty paces before a stony column of huge, wind-worn rock blocks your path.</p>
1315        <p>After an hour, you become lost in the dense maze of impassive rocks. The afternoon sun beats down mercilessly, as it slowly crosses the sky.</p>
1316        <choice idref="sect278">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 278</link-text>.</choice>
1317        <choice idref="sect184">If you wish to turn left, <link-text>turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
1318        <choice idref="sect228">If you wish to turn right, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
1319        <choice idref="sect238">If you wish to continue straight ahead, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
1320       </data>
1321      </section>
1322
1323      <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1324       <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1325
1326       <data>
1327        <p>You wait in silence, pondering the best course of action. A detachment of five Shadakine warriors, carrying crossbows, comes marching along the road; they halt to load their weapons only a few yards in front of you. If they should use their weapons against the brave knights on the bridge, the knights will have no hope of beating them off.</p>
1328        <choice idref="sect70">If you possess the Magical Power of Enchantment and wish to use it to aid the beleaguered knights, <link-text>turn to 70</link-text>.</choice>
1329        <choice idref="sect81">If you wish to attack the crossbowmen with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff at long range, <link-text>turn to 81</link-text>.</choice>
1330        <choice idref="sect99">If you would prefer to make a surprise attack on the crossbowmen, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
1331       </data>
1332      </section>
1333
1334      <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1335       <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1336
1337       <data>
1338        <p>Still held above the heads of the crowd, you close your eyes and try to concentrate. The noise and confusion about you make visualization very difficult and you must lose 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points before the illusion is complete. To your horror, you see that the two Shadakine warriors have begun to hack a bloody path through the mob towards you.</p>
1339        <choice idref="sect251">If you wish to continue with your spell of Enchantment, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
1340        <choice idref="sect84">If you wish to break your trance and come to the aid of the defenceless crowd, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
1341       </data>
1342      </section>
1343
1344      <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1345       <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1346
1347       <footnotes>
1348        <footnote id="sect57-1-foot" idref="sect57-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1349       </footnotes>
1350
1351       <data>
1352        <p>Instinctively Shan has thrown himself to the ground. With your Staff thrust up high into the air you tear a hole in one of the Quoku<ch.apos/>s wings; it shrieks with pain before crashing to the ground. Your attack has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.<footref id="sect57-1" idref="sect57-1-foot"/></p>
1353        <choice idref="sect307">If you wish to attack the Quoku again, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
1354        <choice idref="sect182">If you wish to escape, <link-text>turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
1355       </data>
1356      </section>
1357
1358      <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1359       <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1360
1361       <data>
1362        <p>For three days, you head north towards the Chansi Hills. During this time you regain 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. The dense forest provides ample cover for your journey and you manage to avoid the occasional Shadakine patrols quite easily.</p>
1363        <p>You carry no provisions but Tanith is able to feed the whole party. Demonstrating an uncanny mastery over animals, she is able to summon small birds down from the trees and rabbits from their burrows. Then, after calling the mesmerized creatures to her, she coolly wrings their necks. Considering her part done, she insists that Shan should do the cooking and a disgruntled Shan agrees.</p>
1364        <p>Coming at last to the forest<ch.apos/>s edge, where it borders on the Chansi Hills, you discover clumps of wild Laumspur growing along the river bank. If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, you may take some of the Laumspur and store it in your Herb Pouch. (Remember to mark this clump of Laumspur on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.) Swallowing it will enable you to regain 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If you do not have the Power of Alchemy and wish to regain 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, you must eat the Laumspur while it is fresh; you cannot take it with you.</p>
1365        <p>You find a shallow ford crossing the Suhni River and stop to stare at the solemn hills ahead. <quote>We must go up into the hills to find the cave of Jnana,</quote> says Tanith.</p>
1366        <p>Suddenly Shan cries out, <quote>The enemy is upon us; look<ch.emdash/>the Najin are coming.</quote> He points up at the sky.</p>
1367        <p>Looking up, you see a cloud of ape-like beasts with grey skins and black, bat-like wings that propel them towards you at great speed. <quote>Do not fear,</quote> Tanith says rushing forward.</p>
1368        <p><quote>But Grey Star,</quote> says Shan, <quote>these monsters are slaves of Shasarak, the Wytch-king. We are betrayed.</quote></p>
1369        <p>The Najin swoop towards you, flying low along the line of the hills.</p>
1370        <choice idref="sect101">If you wish to attack the Najin, <link-text>turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
1371        <choice idref="sect126">If you wish to wait for them to draw closer, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
1372       </data>
1373      </section>
1374
1375      <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1376       <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1377
1378       <data>
1379        <p>You are hungry and must eat a Meal now or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Finally, you lie down and quickly fall into a deep sleep. The night passes without incident, and your refreshing rest restores to you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point and 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Then, you are woken by a strange sound.</p>
1380        <choice idref="sect65"><link-text>Turn to 65</link-text>.</choice>
1381       </data>
1382      </section>
1383
1384      <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1385       <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1386
1387       <data>
1388        <p>Without stopping for breath, you head up the next flight of stairs. You can hear Shan puffing and blowing behind you.</p>
1389        <choice idref="sect45">If you wish to take the right-hand stairway, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
1390        <choice idref="sect80">If you wish to take the one on the left, <link-text>turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
1391       </data>
1392      </section>
1393
1394      <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1395       <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1396
1397       <data>
1398        <p>Suddenly you look up, and for the first time you notice several squat shapes perched on top of the limestone columns nearby. <quote>Quoku,</quote> whispers Shan. <quote>I thought they were a myth.</quote></p>
1399        <p>The Quoku stare with unblinking, bulbous eyes. Like giant toads, their mottled, green skin is covered with ridges and warts, and their pale throats expand like bubbles as they emit their sonorous croaking call.</p>
1400        <choice idref="sect186">If you wish to try to slip past the Quoku without disturbing them, <link-text>turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
1401        <choice idref="sect111">If you wish to attack the Quoku perched on the column nearest to you, <link-text>turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
1402        <choice idref="sect86">If you wish to make a run for it, <link-text>turn to 86</link-text>.</choice>
1403       </data>
1404      </section>
1405
1406      <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1407       <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1408
1409       <data>
1410        <p>With heavy heart you greet the dawn. The old Shianti priest lies dead upon his pallet. After a short time the young girl who brought you food appears. <quote>Here<ch.emdash/>eat,</quote> she says, poking another bowl of rice through the bars of the dungeon door.</p>
1411        <p><quote>The old priest,</quote> you say, pointing to his body, <quote>is dead.</quote></p>
1412        <p>The girl glances towards the old man. <quote>I will tell Mother Magri. Perhaps she will want to steal his soul while it still lingers here,</quote> she says, matter-of-factly. <quote>He was a silly priest. He deserved to die. But, perhaps my mistress can put him to some useful task.</quote></p>
1413        <p>You and Shan stare at her, stunned at the coolness of her tone and the casual way in which she dismisses the torment of a man<ch.apos/>s soul. She stares back, unconcerned; her face is a picture of childish innocence, and she seems unaware that she has said anything shocking.</p>
1414        <choice idref="sect7">If you wish to attempt a conversation with the girl, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1415        <choice idref="sect36">If not, <link-text>turn to 36</link-text>.</choice>
1416       </data>
1417      </section>
1418
1419      <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1420       <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1421
1422       <data>
1423        <p><quote>Fool!</quote> she hisses. <quote>You have sealed your doom and I will not be a witness to it.</quote></p>
1424        <p>She turns and leaves the circular chamber as it fills with a great number of Shadakine warriors. You are hopelessly outnumbered and the exit is blocked. Without your Staff you are powerless to resist the cruel Shadakine, who mercilessly cut you down where you stand.</p>
1425        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1426       </data>
1427      </section>
1428
1429      <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1430       <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1431
1432       <data>
1433        <p>Your mind probes into the near future. Your Magical Power tells you that there is danger lurking in the alleyways. You must continue along the narrow street to avoid it.</p>
1434        <p>The use of this Magical Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1435        <choice idref="sect195"><link-text>Turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1436       </data>
1437      </section>
1438
1439      <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1440       <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1441
1442       <data>
1443        <p>You can hear a scuttling noise and the sound of a heavy object being dragged along the ground. Hurriedly you jump to your feet. By the pale light that filters through the tunnel you crawled through, you can see another tunnel leading out of the chamber. The sound is coming from there.</p>
1444        <p>You dash to the far wall, pressing your body close to the tunnel entrance. You hope to be able to surprise whoever, or whatever, is approaching. It is you, however, who is surprised. After a few seconds a huge insect, at least three feet long and tugging laboriously at the carcass of a dead reptile, clambers into the chamber. Intent on its labour it does not notice you, poised to strike.</p>
1445        <choice idref="sect72">If you are wearing the Yabari Ointment, <link-text>turn to 72</link-text>.</choice>
1446        <choice idref="sect83">If not, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
1447       </data>
1448      </section>
1449
1450      <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1451       <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1452
1453       <data>
1454        <p>Even before you can lift your Staff, a crossbow bolt flies past your head and plunges into the neck of the Shadakine warrior, who falls with a surprised look on his brutal face. The officer and his men hoot with laughter at the plight of their own comrade.</p>
1455        <p>While the first crossbowman reloads, the other looses a bolt at you. The arrow burrows painfully into your shoulder and you lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. At the expense of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point you fire a blast at the bowman; he falls dead. The first crossbowman has now reloaded and you know that the odds on your surviving another bolt are very slim. Even if you manage to kill the crossbowman, you will have to fight the officer, and already your shoulder is beginning to stiffen. You are unlikely to be able to fight well in your present state.</p>
1456        <p>You surrender to the Shadakine, throwing yourself at their mercy: a quality they seem rather short of.</p>
1457        <choice idref="sect311"><link-text>Turn to 311</link-text>.</choice>
1458       </data>
1459      </section>
1460
1461      <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1462       <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1463
1464       <data>
1465        <p>As you charge at her, she smiles bitterly. <quote>Fool,</quote> she says; <quote>you have sealed your doom.</quote></p>
1466        <p>Before you can reach her, she slips through the exit. You make to follow, but the room suddenly fills with Shadakine warriors. They pour into the room in overwhelming numbers through the trap door and the exit that Tanith has used.</p>
1467        <p>The last sound you hear is the voice of Mother Magri ordering your death from within the safety of their ranks.</p>
1468        <deadend>You have failed. Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1469       </data>
1470      </section>
1471
1472      <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1473       <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1474
1475       <data>
1476        <p>The waters of Lake Shenwu give off a foul stench. The heady vapours of this strange, yellow lake are thick and cloying. Your lungs feel tight and your breathing is laboured.</p>
1477        <p>You come across the remains of a creature you do not recognize. Its bones have been stripped bare, how you cannot guess, for there is no sign of life. Your head feels heavy and your vision is blurring. You lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
1478        <choice idref="sect293">If you wish to continue your exploration of Lake Shenwu, <link-text>turn to 293</link-text>.</choice>
1479        <choice idref="sect118">If you would prefer to climb the slope of the shallow basin and survey the base of the Wall of Azakawa, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1480       </data>
1481      </section>
1482
1483      <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1484       <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1485
1486       <data>
1487        <p>You fall asleep once more; this time you will never waken. Something dark and terrible leaps from the fire, and steals your life and soul.</p>
1488        <deadend>You have failed in your quest; your adventure ends here.</deadend>
1489       </data>
1490      </section>
1491
1492      <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1493       <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1494
1495       <data>
1496        <p>You focus your thoughts in meditation, weaving a web of enchantment and attempting to influence the minds of the Shadakine warriors who are fighting on the bridge. Suddenly the Shadakine officer in command turns and sees the crossbowmen. His face contorts in fury. He barks a command and ten of his warriors turn and charge towards the crossbowmen who look on in amazement. You have created the illusion that the crossbowmen are Knights of the White Mountain and, believing that the enemy are challenging their rear, the Shadakine have turned to attack this new threat. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1497        <p>With a blood-curdling cry, the Shadakine warriors hurl themselves at the line of crossbowmen who instantly loose a volley of crossbow bolts, killing five of their fellow countrymen. The crossbowmen then throw down their weapons and flee along the road with the remainder of their outraged comrades chasing at their heels.</p>
1498        <choice idref="sect88">If you now wish to fire at the remaining Shadakine warriors on the bridge from the safety of your hiding place, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
1499        <choice idref="sect156">If you wish to charge into the fray, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
1500       </data>
1501      </section>
1502
1503      <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1504       <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1505
1506       <data>
1507        <p>The thief lies dead at your feet. After searching the body, you find your money plus another ten Nobles, which you may keep. You may also keep the thief<ch.apos/>s Dagger. (Don<ch.apos/>t forget to mark these items on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1508        <p>You leave the alley and return to the narrow street.</p>
1509        <choice idref="sect195"><link-text>Turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1510       </data>
1511      </section>
1512
1513      <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1514       <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1515
1516       <data>
1517        <p>The insect is unaware of your presence, and you keep very still. It continues to drag the reptile carcass across the room. Finally it disappears through the narrow entrance of the other tunnel, and you breathe a sigh of relief. You seize this opportunity and scramble up the larger of the two exits and into another sloping tunnel.</p>
1518        <choice idref="sect22"><link-text>Turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
1519       </data>
1520      </section>
1521
1522      <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1523       <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1524
1525       <data>
1526        <p>Using the remaining contents of the vial, you burn away the lock of the door. You no longer have any Ezeran Acid and must discard the contaminated vial. (Delete Ezeran Acid from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1527        <p>The lock falls away, and cautiously, you push open the door to reveal another landing. You step onto the landing and face two more stairways, one leading to the left and one to the right.</p>
1528        <choice idref="sect92">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>. (Note down this section number first as you will need to return to it.)</choice>
1529        <choice idref="sect80">If you wish to take the left-hand stairway, <link-text>turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
1530        <choice idref="sect45">If you wish to take the right-hand stairway, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
1531       </data>
1532      </section>
1533
1534      <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1535       <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1536
1537       <data>
1538        <p>You call encouragingly across to Shan who stares nervously over the edge of the precipice into the deep crevasse. <quote>Come on Shan; it<ch.apos/>s easy. Quick now, there<ch.apos/>s no time to lose!</quote></p>
1539        <p>Shan returns your gaze with a doubtful expression on his face. He shakes his head. <quote>I can<ch.apos/>t do it,</quote> he says, weakly. <quote>I<ch.apos/>ll never make it across.</quote></p>
1540        <p>You persuade him to throw his Backpack across to lighten his load, but he still lacks the nerve.</p>
1541        <choice idref="sect194">If you have a coil of Rope, <link-text>turn to 194</link-text>.</choice>
1542        <choice idref="sect219">If not, <link-text>turn to 219</link-text>.</choice>
1543       </data>
1544      </section>
1545
1546      <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1547       <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1548
1549       <data>
1550        <p>Following the road, you enter the forest. <quote>This road is busy by day,</quote> Shan informs you. <quote>Many merchants and traders use it to reach the Port of Suhn. If we are to hide ourselves and rest, we must leave the road and venture deeper into the forest for safety.</quote></p>
1551        <p><quote>The <quote>pedlar</quote> speaks the truth,</quote> says Tanith, glaring haughtily at Shan, daring him with her eyes.</p>
1552        <p>Shan turns purple with rage.</p>
1553        <choice idref="sect3"><link-text>Turn to 3</link-text>.</choice>
1554       </data>
1555      </section>
1556
1557      <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1558       <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1559
1560       <data>
1561        <p>Suddenly a knife flashes at your throat. Raising your Staff, you unleash a blast of energy (costing you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point) that narrowly misses the murderous cut-throat.</p>
1562        <p>With a yelp of shocked surprise, the cut-throat turns tail and rushes back down the alley. You realize that while you remain here you are in danger. Retracing your steps, you watch him run into the narrow street and turn a corner. You follow the sound of his footsteps for a while, but soon you can hear nothing.</p>
1563        <choice idref="sect195"><link-text>Turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1564       </data>
1565      </section>
1566
1567      <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1568       <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1569
1570       <data>
1571        <p>You grab the Kazim Stone and throw open the door of the antechamber. Standing in the circular room you see Tanith the young girl in the service of Mother Magri. <quote>Grey Star,</quote> she says; <quote>at last I<ch.apos/>ve found you.</quote></p>
1572        <p><quote>Beware,</quote> warns Shan. <quote>She is a Shadakine slave; she cannot be trusted.</quote></p>
1573        <choice idref="sect67">If you wish to attack the young girl, <link-text>turn to 67</link-text>.</choice>
1574        <choice idref="sect147">If you wish to question her, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
1575       </data>
1576      </section>
1577
1578      <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1579       <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1580
1581       <data>
1582        <p>The dust storm continues to rage furiously; it gives no sign of abating. As darkness falls there seems to be no alternative other than to sleep here for the night, and hope that you will be able to continue your journey in the morning. You are hungry and must eat a Meal now or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. The night passes without incident and you regain 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> and 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1583        <p>The following morning you continue on your way, following the banks of the Azan as it leads through the Wilderwastes and into the Azagad Gorge.</p>
1584        <choice idref="sect29"><link-text>Turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
1585       </data>
1586      </section>
1587
1588      <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1589       <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1590
1591       <data>
1592        <p>Gently, you shake the sailor by the shoulder. <quote>Your pardon sir, are you feeling all right?</quote> you ask.</p>
1593        <p>The sailor opens his bleary eyes and frowns at you. <quote>Who wants to know?</quote> he snarls.</p>
1594        <p>And before you have spoken another word, the angry sailor jumps to his feet and takes a wild swing at you, upturning the table and spilling ale everywhere.</p>
1595        <p>You are knocked off your feet, and hurled backwards to the floor. You must lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Dazed, you feel someone grab you by the collar and push you through the door. You tumble into the market square outside.</p>
1596        <choice idref="sect157"><link-text>Turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
1597       </data>
1598      </section>
1599
1600      <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1601       <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1602
1603       <data>
1604        <p>With Shan at your side, you run to the top of the stairs. Above your head is a trap door. You throw it open and step into a circular room. There are two exits. Through the crack around the door opposite, you can see a faint, yellow glow.</p>
1605        <choice idref="sect25">If you wish to open this door, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1606        <choice idref="sect41">If you wish to take the other exit, <link-text>turn to 41</link-text>.</choice>
1607       </data>
1608      </section>
1609
1610      <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1611       <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1612
1613       <data>
1614        <p>Taking careful aim, you send a bolt of white lightning into the backs of the Shadakine crossbowmen, killing two outright at the expense of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1615        <p>The three remaining men look dazed and confused at this surprise attack. Shan can contain himself no longer, and before you can prevent him, he jumps to his feet. Brandishing his sword, he charges towards the remaining crossbowmen, emitting a loud warbling cry. He is so close to them that you dare not risk another long-range assault for fear of killing him.</p>
1616        <choice idref="sect99">If you wish to follow Shan to protect him, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
1617        <choice idref="sect145">If you would rather leave Shan to his fate, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
1618       </data>
1619      </section>
1620
1621      <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1622       <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1623
1624       <data>
1625        <p>Tentatively you push open the door and enter a smoky room. The inn is filled with the sounds of contending voices, shouting drunkards, and the laughter of serving girls. The customers are many and varied: merchants, seamen, fishermen, and all sorts of travellers rub shoulders here.</p>
1626        <choice idref="sect105">If you have no money to buy a drink, or if you would prefer to save it, <link-text>turn to 105</link-text>.</choice>
1627        <choice idref="sect339">If you wish to buy a drink at the bar, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
1628       </data>
1629      </section>
1630
1631      <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1632       <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1633
1634       <data>
1635        <p>The insect stops and lifts its head. Its antennae wave in the air, searching all around. Suddenly, it fixes its many-faceted eyes upon you and, before you can react, squirts a jet of brown fluid from a hollow horn on the centre of its head. You dodge to one side and the fluid misses you, hitting the floor. You look down at where it landed and see that it is eating into the stone. The insect opens its pincer-like jaws and drops the reptile corpse. Then, it scuttles back the way it came.</p>
1636        <choice idref="sect91">If you wish to attack the insect with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff before it escapes, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
1637        <choice idref="sect98">If you wish to chase after the creature, <link-text>turn to 98</link-text>.</choice>
1638       </data>
1639      </section>
1640
1641      <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1642       <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1643
1644       <data>
1645        <p>In desperation, you raise your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff and unleash a crackling charge of energy that arcs above the heads of the crowd, and into the heart of the nearest Shadakine warrior. Your mind is in turmoil and you exert 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points on the attack due to its undisciplined state. The Shadakine warrior screams in pain and falls to the ground; blue smoke coils from the blackened wound in his chest.</p>
1646        <p>With howls of delight, the crowd surges forward and falls upon the remaining Shadakine warrior as he lashes out desperately all around him.</p>
1647        <choice idref="sect196">If you wish to seize this opportunity to jump to the ground, <link-text>turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
1648        <choice idref="sect224">If you would rather finish off the remaining Shadakine warrior, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
1649       </data>
1650      </section>
1651
1652      <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1653       <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1654
1655       <data>
1656        <p>You wake the following morning feeling refreshed after a good night<ch.apos/>s sleep. Restore 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> and 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Both Tanith and Shan have already risen and are waiting expectantly for you to lead the way.</p>
1657        <choice idref="sect18"><link-text>Turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1658       </data>
1659      </section>
1660
1661      <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1662       <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1663 <!--
1664       <footnotes>
1665        <footnote id="sect86-1-foot" idref="sect86-1">
1666         <p>It is possible to arrive here without having used the Power of Prophecy.</p>
1667        </footnote>
1668       </footnotes>
1669 <footref id="sect86-1" idref="sect86-1-foot"/>
1670 -->
1671       <data>
1672        <p>Taking Shan<ch.apos/>s arm, you break into a trot, pulling him after you, though he seems to need little encouragement. Unfortunately your sudden movement attracts the attention of the Quoku, and a chorus of loud and rapid croaking fills the evening air.</p>
1673        <p>The Wall of Azakawa is still many miles away and you pray that you will be able to outdistance the Quoku. Even if you should be able to reach the cliff-face, you know no way of crossing beyond the wall into the Azanam. With a growing dread, you fear that your run will be in vain. Unless you can find somewhere to hide, or think of a swift way of scaling the cliff once you reach it, you will be caught. But despite your doubt, you keep running: you have no choice.</p>
1674        <choice idref="sect266"><link-text>Turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
1675       </data>
1676      </section>
1677
1678      <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1679       <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1680
1681       <data>
1682        <p>With a shudder, you step outside the pentacle and speak the sibilant words of the <quote>forbidden tome</quote> known as the <spell>Song of the Dead</spell>. The ghost of the priest sighs and says, <quote>It is done. Take the Amulet from the body of my former life. It will serve as a charm against the evil dead.</quote> You take the Amulet, which hangs by a silver chain around the dead priest<ch.apos/>s neck, and place it around your own. (Mark this Amulet as a Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1683        <p>All is silent. Slowly, the cell grows colder. The sound of distant moaning fills your ears, followed by a mournful wailing that chills the soul, which gradually rises in pitch and volume. The dead have come to claim their vengeance. The use of the Power of Evocation has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. A howling wind sweeps through the cell and the door bursts open. You turn and grab Shan<ch.apos/>s arm. He has stood, pale and rigid with fear, throughout your exchange with the dead.</p>
1684       <illustration class="float">
1685         <meta>
1686          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1687          <description>Shadow forms are flowing out of the walls and floor.</description>
1688         </meta>
1689         <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="657"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1690         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="657"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1691         <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="657" />
1692        </illustration>
1693        <p><quote>Quickly,</quote> you hiss. <quote>Come with me.</quote> You run through the door and into the corridor outside. Shadow forms are flowing out of the walls and floor, and everywhere spirit shapes fly in all directions. You turn to your right and see the horribly mutilated corpse of the gaoler. Still clenched in his mortifying fist is a small Dagger. You may take this item if you wish. (Remember to mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> under the Weapons section.)</p>
1694        <choice idref="sect125">If you wish to take the Gaoler<ch.apos/>s Keys and free the other prisoners on this level, <link-text>turn to 125</link-text>.</choice>
1695        <choice idref="sect137">If you wish to take the left stairway without delay, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
1696        <choice idref="sect212">If you wish to take the right stairway, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
1697       </data>
1698      </section>
1699
1700      <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1701       <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1702
1703       <footnotes>
1704        <footnote id="sect88-1-foot" idref="sect88-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1705       </footnotes>
1706
1707       <data>
1708        <p>The bolt of force that arcs through the air into the ranks of Shadakine warriors kills one of them at a cost to you of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. The knights gain ground at their opponents<ch.apos/> expense due to the confusion of the Shadakine, who are now being attacked from the front and rear.</p>
1709        <p>The distance over which you are fighting necessitates the use of a great deal of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>, and you realize that you can only increase your effectiveness by moving closer to the Shadakine. An attack from the rear at this time would almost certainly turn the battle in your favour. With this in mind, you burst out of the undergrowth and charge into the battle with a fearsome yell. Shan, puffing and panting behind you, swings his sword feebly. The knights on the bridge give a rousing cheer as you appear, and the Shadakine are pushed back as their resistance begins to falter. And then you are upon them: you rain blows in all directions, throwing them into disorder and wounding a warrior at the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.<footref id="sect88-1" idref="sect88-1-foot"/></p>
1710        <choice idref="sect189"><link-text>Turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
1711       </data>
1712      </section>
1713
1714      <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1715       <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1716
1717       <data>
1718        <p>No matter how hard you try, you are unable to shake off the man who is following you. Soon he is joined by two Shadakine warriors. You have no alternative but to make a run for it.</p>
1719        <choice idref="sect241"><link-text>Turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1720       </data>
1721      </section>
1722
1723      <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1724       <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1725
1726       <data>
1727        <p>The campfire bursts into vivid flame, flaring high into the air. Wreathed in the lurid light is the figure of Mother Magri, who intones the words of a spell in a strange, guttural tongue.</p>
1728        <p><quote>Grey Star,</quote> says Tanith, <quote>beware!</quote></p>
1729        <choice idref="sect139">If you possess the Power of Sorcery and wish to create a magical shield about yourself, <link-text>turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1730        <choice idref="sect123">If you wish to attack the figure of Mother Magri, shimmering above the fire, <link-text>turn to 123</link-text>.</choice>
1731       </data>
1732      </section>
1733
1734      <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1735       <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1736
1737       <data>
1738        <p>You bring your Staff down on the creature<ch.apos/>s unprotected rump. Its legs curl and crumple beneath it. At the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, you kill the insect.</p>
1739        <p>Close inspection reveals the insect to be a Cave Mantiz. The Cave Mantiz live in colonies below ground in much the same way as their cousins the ants. They burrow their nests from the stone by dissolving it with a potent acid that they store in their bodies. You have entered a Mantiz nest, and despite the perils therein, you are greatly encouraged. If you can find your way through the maze of Mantiz tunnels, you should be able to reach the surface above the Wall of Azakawa and enter the Azanam.</p>
1740        <p>Your excitement is tinged with apprehension as you continue along a tunnel that is growing darker and darker. If you wish to expend 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point on lighting your Staff, you may: this light will last until you extinguish it without the use of any further <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. If you have a Torch and Tinderbox, you may wish to use the Torch for light.</p>
1741        <choice idref="sect122">If you choose to proceed in darkness, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
1742        <choice idref="sect141">If you prefer to light your way, <link-text>turn to 141</link-text>.</choice>
1743       </data>
1744      </section>
1745
1746      <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1747       <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1748
1749       <data>
1750        <p>Your Power of Prophecy warns you that you must go left. The use of this Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1751        <puzzle idrefs="sect23 sect73 sect114 sect137 sect214 sect338">Now return to the adventure number you have noted down.</puzzle>
1752       </data>
1753      </section>
1754
1755      <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1756       <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1757
1758       <data>
1759        <p>The old Shianti priest is about to speak, when he gives a great gasp and dies in your arms. With tears in your eyes, you turn to Shan. <quote>He is dead,</quote> you say sorrowfully.</p>
1760        <p>The merchant hangs his head. <quote>Then we are doomed,</quote> he groans.</p>
1761        <p>You sit back, deep in thought. You are tired and quickly fall asleep.</p>
1762        <choice idref="sect258"><link-text>Turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
1763       </data>
1764      </section>
1765
1766      <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1767       <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1768
1769       <footnotes>
1770        <footnote id="sect94-1-foot" idref="sect94-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1771       </footnotes>
1772
1773       <data>
1774        <p>Staff held high, spraying magical fire from its tip, you charge the Shadakine with unflinching fury. Shan struggles in your wake.</p>
1775        <p>The Shadakine warriors are thrown into disorder as they attempt to meet this new threat from the rear. Due to their confusion, the knights are able to press home their advantage, gaining ground on their opponents and raising your spirits with shouts of encouragement. You rain fearful blows in all directions with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. At the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point<footref id="sect94-1" idref="sect94-1-foot"/>, you fell the nearest Shadakine warrior. Much to his surprise, Shan claims another.</p>
1776        <p>Tanith now reappears armed with a loaded crossbow. Coolly, she aims it at the Shadakine officer. He falls to the ground dead, a crossbow bolt protruding from his neck.</p>
1777        <choice idref="sect215"><link-text>Turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
1778       </data>
1779      </section>
1780
1781      <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1782       <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1783
1784       <data>
1785        <p>You examine the dungeon door, looking through the keyhole as you consult with Shan. Your Magical Power of Sorcery should enable you to produce sufficient energy to break down the door, but it is certain to require large amounts of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> to exert a force great enough to burst the lock. You have no way of telling just how much <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> the spell will use, and once you have begun you will be committed to seeing it through to the end.</p>
1786        <choice idref="sect109">If you wish to force the door with the Magical Power of Sorcery, <link-text>turn to 109</link-text>.</choice>
1787        <choice idref="sect172">If you do not wish to use this Power, or if you lack sufficient reserves of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>, <link-text>return to 172</link-text> and select another power.</choice>
1788       </data>
1789      </section>
1790
1791      <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1792       <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1793
1794       <data>
1795        <p>In an instant, your quick reflexes have saved you. You release a bolt of energy, costing 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, that blasts the creature<ch.apos/>s head apart. The wound in your leg has lost you 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, and painfully you clamber to your feet, limping from the swarming death behind you. You reach a shaft that leads into the tunnel from above. You peer up it and see light. A way to the surface at last!</p>
1796        <p>Clinging with trembling fingers to the nearly smooth sides of the shaft, you drag yourself up. Desperately, you haul your way up, kicking and stamping at the nightmare that advances from below. Using your last reserves of energy, you finally come to the top of the shaft. You are in a wide glade, surrounded by towering trees and dense foliage.</p>
1797        <choice idref="sect146"><link-text>Turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
1798       </data>
1799      </section>
1800
1801      <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1802       <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1803
1804       <data>
1805        <p>Continuing on through the market square, you notice your pursuer stop to talk with two Shadakine warriors. He is pointing in your direction and gesturing excitedly.</p>
1806        <choice idref="sect241">If you wish to run from the market square, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1807        <choice idref="sect89">If you would rather try to lose yourself in the crowd, <link-text>turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
1808       </data>
1809      </section>
1810
1811      <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1812       <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1813
1814       <data>
1815        <p>You follow the creature, but it soon disappears from view. The tunnel curves slowly upwards, and before long you are plunged into darkness once more. You stop running.</p>
1816        <choice idref="sect108">If you have a Torch and Tinderbox, and wish to light the Torch, <link-text>turn to 108</link-text>.</choice>
1817        <choice idref="sect115">If you would rather exert 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point to create a small glow from your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
1818        <choice idref="sect122">If you do not have either of these items, or if you do not wish to use them, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
1819       </data>
1820      </section>
1821
1822      <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1823       <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1824
1825       <data>
1826        <p>Leaping to your feet, you charge at the backs of the unsuspecting crossbowmen, your staff swinging and blazing a trail of magical fire. Shan attempts the same dramatic gesture, clumsily waving his sword, but fails to achieve the same effect.</p>
1827        <p>Before the crossbowmen are able to release their arrows, you are upon them. Add 2 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> owing to the surprise of your attack, plus a further 2, owing to Shan<ch.apos/>s presence. You must fight the crossbowmen as one enemy and to the death.</p>
1828        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Crossbowmen</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">25</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
1829        <choice idref="sect88">If you win the combat and wish to attack the Shadakine on the bridge at long range, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
1830        <choice idref="sect94">If you win the combat and wish to charge the Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 94</link-text>.</choice>
1831       </data>
1832      </section>
1833
1834      <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1835       <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1836
1837       <data>
1838        <p>You have been prowling around the harbour for some time. So far all you have discovered are closed buildings, and shifty strangers passing in and out of the shadows, carrying mysterious loads.</p>
1839        <p>You spot two soldiers patrolling the waterfront. Their heads are shaven save for a long plume of hair that flows from the centre of their scalps. They wear armour of black enamelled steel, decorated with gold designs, and carry lethal-looking scimitars at their sides. They are Shadakine warriors, and they are shouting at you to remain where you are.</p>
1840        <choice idref="sect40">If you wish to run away from them, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
1841        <choice idref="sect121">If you wish to obey the Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
1842       </data>
1843      </section>
1844
1845      <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1846       <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1847
1848       <footnotes>
1849        <footnote id="sect101-1-foot" idref="sect101-1"><p>It seems odd that Shan would not return your weapon. You may choose to assume that you get it back once the battle is over.</p></footnote>
1850       </footnotes>
1851
1852       <data>
1853        <p>The first of the Najin is almost upon you when you unleash the power of the Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, killing one of the shrieking creatures in mid-air and scattering the others in all directions; you have used up 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1854       <illustration class="float">
1855         <meta>
1856          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1857          <description>You unleash the power of the Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, killing one of the shrieking creatures in mid-air.</description>
1858         </meta>
1859         <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="657"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1860         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="657"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1861         <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="657" />
1862        </illustration>
1863        <p><quote>No!</quote> screams Tanith, running off into the barren hills. The Najin rally and gather around you, hovering. Yammering wildly, the first of the little creatures attacks you.</p>
1864        <p>There are nine Najin and they attack one at a time, attempting to claw and bite you. If you have another weapon, you pass it to Shan who then adds 2 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. (Remember to delete this weapon from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.<footref id="sect101-1" idref="sect101-1-foot"/>)</p>
1865        <combat><enemy>Najin 1</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
1866        <combat><enemy>Najin 2</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">9</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
1867        <combat><enemy>Najin 3</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
1868        <combat><enemy>Najin 4</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">7</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">9</enemy-attribute></combat>
1869        <combat><enemy>Najin 5</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">8</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">10</enemy-attribute></combat>
1870        <combat><enemy>Najin 6</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">12</enemy-attribute></combat>
1871        <combat><enemy>Najin 7</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">9</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">9</enemy-attribute></combat>
1872        <combat><enemy>Najin 8</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">11</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">9</enemy-attribute></combat>
1873        <combat><enemy>Najin 9</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">9</enemy-attribute></combat>
1874        <choice idref="sect130">If you are still alive after five rounds of combat, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
1875       </data>
1876      </section>
1877
1878      <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1879       <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1880
1881       <data>
1882        <p>A flash of bright light ignites within the fire and seems to leap into your mind. You cry in pain, as if a piece of your mind has been torn away. You lose 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1883        <p>Stunned, you stagger backwards. The form of Mother Magri fades and is replaced by an impenetrable darkness that hovers at the heart of the fire. Two blank eye-slits and a gaping mouth are all you see as the black shadow leaps towards you.</p>
1884        <choice idref="sect149"><link-text>Turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
1885       </data>
1886      </section>
1887
1888      <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1889       <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1890
1891       <data>
1892        <p>Though you have beaten the Cave Mantiz, the remaining horde of deadly insects overruns you and tears you to pieces where you stand.</p>
1893        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1894       </data>
1895      </section>
1896
1897      <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1898       <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1899
1900       <data>
1901        <p>It soon becomes impossible to avoid the massed clusters of Yaku vines, and gingerly you step through, passing close to the spiky hearts of these deadly plants.</p>
1902        <p>Your foot brushes a tendril. Instantly it writhes into life, coiling around your ankle with deceptive speed. You lose your balance and fall to the ground. Immediately you feel yourself being dragged towards the core of the Yaku plant, which lies only yards away.</p>
1903        <choice idref="sect248">If you wish to slash at the tendril that has knotted itself around your ankle, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
1904        <choice idref="sect179">If you wish to unleash a bolt at the centre of the Yaku plant, <link-text>turn to 179</link-text>.</choice>
1905       </data>
1906      </section>
1907
1908      <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1909       <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1910
1911       <data>
1912        <p>You notice a spare seat and sit down. Also seated at the table are three others, one of whom may be able to help you locate the Lost Tribe of Lara. You try to decide with whom to attempt a conversation.</p>
1913       <illustration class="float">
1914         <meta>
1915          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1916          <description>Also seated at the table are a tattooed sailor, a drunken merchant, and a hooded character.</description>
1917         </meta>
1918         <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1919         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1920         <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="644" />
1921        </illustration>
1922        <choice idref="sect313">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
1923        <choice idref="sect79">If you wish to speak to the tattooed sailor who sits snoring beside you, <link-text>turn to 79</link-text>.</choice>
1924        <choice idref="sect131">If you would rather talk to the merchant, clad in a gaudy robe and furs, and laughing drunkenly to himself in the seat opposite, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
1925        <choice idref="sect209">If you wish to speak to a hooded character, cloaked in black, sitting quietly in the shadows in the corner, <link-text>turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
1926       </data>
1927      </section>
1928
1929      <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1930       <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1931
1932       <data>
1933        <p>You leave Jnana and the Chansi Hills. Tanith walks in accusing silence; she obviously holds you responsible for a foolish act. You wend your way back to the Suhni River and cross it once more. You have been walking for perhaps half an hour when suddenly three Shadakine warriors burst out of the forest<ch.emdash/>you have been ambushed!</p>
1934        <choice idref="sect117"><link-text>Turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1935       </data>
1936      </section>
1937
1938      <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1939       <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1940
1941       <footnotes>
1942        <footnote id="sect107-1-foot" idref="sect107-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1943       </footnotes>
1944
1945       <data>
1946        <p>Shan stands motionless, his body frozen with fear. With one hand he holds his sword shakily aloft, while he covers his eyes with the other, peeping through the gaps between his fingers as the Quoku rushes towards him.</p>
1947        <p>At the cost of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points<footref id="sect107-1" idref="sect107-1-foot"/>, you punch a flaming hole through one of the Quoku<ch.apos/>s wings and it shrieks in pain. The injured beast is knocked awry; it veers sharply to the left and crashes to the ground.</p>
1948        <choice idref="sect307">If you wish to finish off the Quoku, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
1949        <choice idref="sect182">If you would prefer to make another run for it, <link-text>turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
1950       </data>
1951      </section>
1952
1953      <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1954       <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1955
1956       <data>
1957        <p>In the torchlight you can again see your surroundings. The ceiling of the tunnel is very low, and you are forced to walk with your body bent over uncomfortably. At the end of the tunnel the exit widens, and standing a little straighter, you continue on your way.</p>
1958        <choice idref="sect135"><link-text>Turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
1959       </data>
1960      </section>
1961
1962      <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1963       <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1964
1965       <data>
1966        <p>You spend a great deal of time preparing yourself, pacing up and down the cell, while Shan looks on, mystified. When you feel you have reached the correct mental state, you focus your attention on the door. Your initial exertion of will has little effect and you gradually increase the strength of the spell. You have already used up 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points when the door begins to creak on its hinges, the thick wood warping. With a surge of effort you throw enough power at the door to use up 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. The timbers snap and the joists squeal, but still the lock will not give. A last desperate attempt produces 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points of energy that splinters the door. A mighty noise echoes down the corridor as the door crashes to the ground. You have used 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and lost 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point due to the prolonged strain!</p>
1967        <p>You and Shan rush to the top of the steps and out into the corridor. Already, further down the passage to your right, you can hear someone shouting. You recognize the voice of the gaoler and the sound of his clanking keys.</p>
1968        <illustration class="inline">
1969         <meta>
1970          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1971         </meta>
1972         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1973         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1974         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1975        </illustration>
1976        <choice idref="sect243">If you wish to confront the gaoler, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1977        <choice idref="sect333">If you wish to go in the opposite direction, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
1978       </data>
1979      </section>
1980
1981      <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1982       <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1983
1984       <footnotes>
1985        <footnote id="sect110-1-foot" idref="sect110-1"><p>This is the correct solution to the riddle in <a idref="sect264">Section 264</a>.</p></footnote>
1986       </footnotes>
1987
1988       <data>
1989        <p>Suddenly the rune begins to glow, burning its secret message into your mind.<footref id="sect110-1" idref="sect110-1-foot"/> Its meaning gradually becomes clear. You hear the following words in your mind:</p>
1990        <blockquote>
1991         <p><thought>
1992          <line>In Azanam the tribe of Lara dwell, no longer lost,</line>
1993          <line>Beyond the gorge of Azagad, when the <quote>Dragon<ch.apos/>s Teeth</quote> are crossed.</line>
1994         </thought></p>
1995        </blockquote>
1996        <choice idref="sect190"><link-text>Turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
1997       </data>
1998      </section>
1999
2000      <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
2001       <meta><title>111</title></meta>
2002
2003       <data>
2004        <p>You take aim and discharge a bolt of power straight at the top of the column. The Quoku lets out a long, chattering squeal of pain, but survives the force of the 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points of energy that you have exerted. Gouts of black blood flow from the ragged wound in its wing.</p>
2005        <p><quote>Its hide must be tougher than armour to have survived that,</quote> you gasp.</p>
2006        <p>You are unnerved and make a dash for it; Shan is already running.</p>
2007        <choice idref="sect266"><link-text>Turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
2008       </data>
2009      </section>
2010
2011      <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
2012       <meta><title>112</title></meta>
2013
2014       <data>
2015        <p>You steer for the harbour and, as you near the stone quayside, you stand to furl the sail. You cut a dramatic figure: hair flowing in the wind; the reddening glow of the setting sun at your back, casting your shadow upon the shallow waters of the Sea of Dreams.</p>
2016        <p>The harbour is very busy; crowds of people rush to and fro. Sailors and fishermen line the harbour wall, busily unloading their crafts in an effort to finish before nightfall. You notice a flurry of activity further along the quayside; by the time you reach it, a small crowd has gathered, and you can hear the murmur of excited conversation. You throw up a rope and eager hands reach out to clutch the line, mooring the boat for you.</p>
2017        <p>The crowd has grown and it is now obvious that you are the focus of their attention. You hear snatches of conversation: <quote>An Ancient One, an Ancient One from beyond the Sea of Dreams<ch.ellips/></quote>; <quote>See you there? Surely a Shianti walks amongst us?</quote>; <quote>Saw him myself. Came right out of the east, calm as you please!</quote>; <quote>God of legend, saviour of our people, hail, hail!</quote></p>
2018        <p>Hands stretch out in greeting while others try desperately to touch your robe, pushing and pulling, as more and more people struggle for a glimpse of your face. <quote>Who but a god could cross the Sea of Dreams. Save us, Lord!</quote> the crowd begins to shout. <quote>Destroy the evil Shadakine. Throw down the Wytch-king!</quote></p>
2019        <p>You can feel the growing hysteria, and to your dismay, you are lifted up on the shoulders of some of the crowd and carried in the direction of two armed soldiers, who are rushing towards you with their swords drawn.</p>
2020        <p><quote>Destroy the Shadakine warriors, Lord!</quote> someone shouts.</p>
2021        <choice idref="sect84">If you wish to do as the crowd suggests, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
2022        <choice idref="sect56">If you wish to try to escape the crowd and the Shadakine warriors and possess the Magical Power of Enchantment, <link-text>turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
2023        <choice idref="sect28">If you would rather try to escape without the aid of magic, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
2024       </data>
2025      </section>
2026
2027      <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2028       <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2029
2030       <data>
2031        <p>You climb around the cave and head upwards. Gradually, the cliff-face becomes sheer and smooth, and soon you can no longer find another handhold: the nearest crevice in the cliff-face lies just out of reach. Your body is racked with fatigue and you barely have enough energy to continue.</p>
2032        <choice idref="sect138">If you wish to reach for the crevice with an outstretched hand, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
2033        <choice idref="sect188">If you wish to accept defeat at the Wall of the Azakawa, <link-text>turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
2034       </data>
2035      </section>
2036
2037      <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2038       <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2039
2040       <data>
2041        <p>You concentrate the power of your mind and hurl the magical energy of Sorcery at the door. At first nothing happens, but eventually, after exerting 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, the lock snaps and the door swings open.</p>
2042        <p>You cross to the other side of the landing where stairways lead off to the left and right.</p>
2043        <choice idref="sect92">If you have the Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>. (Note down this section number first, as you will need to return to it.)</choice>
2044        <choice idref="sect80">If you wish to take the left-hand stairway, <link-text>turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
2045        <choice idref="sect45">If you would rather take the right-hand stairway, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
2046       </data>
2047      </section>
2048
2049      <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2050       <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2051
2052       <data>
2053        <p>At the expense of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point you cause your Staff to light. The light from the Staff will now last until you extinguish it<ch.emdash/>you will not need to expend more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to keep it alight.</p>
2054        <p>You continue along the tunnel, stooping because of the low ceiling. At last it widens slightly: you have come to the end of the tunnel.</p>
2055        <choice idref="sect135"><link-text>Turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
2056       </data>
2057      </section>
2058
2059      <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2060       <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2061
2062       <data>
2063        <p>You gather up the power of your thought, forming a mental shield against the groping fingers of the Kazim Stone. A cloud of displeasure passes across Mother Magri<ch.apos/>s face. The magic of the Stone hovers at the edge of your senses; the explorative fingers probe your defence, searching for a weakness, a breach in the psychic wall. Your flesh prickles and creeps as the power of the Stone pries and pulls at your will, yet still you keep it at bay (at the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point). The old woman scowls, intent upon the glowing Stone.</p>
2064        <p>The intensity of the stone increases and you must use another <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point to match its strength. Mother Magri glares at you, her face twisted with frustration. She doubles the force of the Stone<ch.apos/>s power, her eyes straining and her breathing beginning to quicken.</p>
2065        <choice idref="sect150">If you wish to use another 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to withstand this assault, <link-text>turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
2066        <choice idref="sect226">If you would prefer to try to exert the influence of your will against your opponent from behind your shield of Sorcery, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
2067       </data>
2068      </section>
2069
2070      <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2071       <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2072
2073       <data>
2074        <p>The Shadakine are spoiling for a fight, having tracked you for a day. Spitting war-cries, their white eyes rolling, they charge towards you. In berserk fury, the first of the Shadakine runs straight into the path of your staff, and you dispatch him easily at the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. The events of the past few days have improved your battle skills immensely.</p>
2075        <p>The two remaining Shadakine are more cautious than their dead comrade, circling and snarling, jabbing at you with their sword tips as if taunting a caged animal. You cannot evade and must fight them to the death.</p>
2076        <combat><enemy>2 Shadakine Warriors</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2077        <choice idref="sect164">If you win, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
2078       </data>
2079      </section>
2080
2081      <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2082       <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2083
2084       <data>
2085        <p>Standing at the foot of the towering cliffs, you look up. The cliffs are smooth and sheer; there seems no way of climbing them. The curling wisps of mist from Lake Shenwu swirl below, and you move across the scree at the base of the Azakawa Wall, searching for a way up. Your head feels fuzzy and you lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
2086        <p>Suddenly you see a crack in the cliff a few feet above your head. It is a small niche, but is large enough to hide a man.</p>
2087        <choice idref="sect268">If you wish to investigate the crack in the cliff, <link-text>turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
2088        <choice idref="sect293">If you wish to return to the Shenwu Falls and the area around Lake Shenwu, <link-text>turn to 293</link-text>.</choice>
2089       </data>
2090      </section>
2091
2092      <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2093       <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2094
2095       <data>
2096        <p>Without hesitation, Shan obeys. Bringing his sword up above his head, he bellows a cry and plunges it deep into the Yaku plant. The tendrils that hold you shudder, tighten, and then suddenly wilt, freeing you both as the plant writhes in the throes of death.</p>
2097        <p>You have lost 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the struggle.</p>
2098        <p>Shan has saved your life and you thank him through the pain of your bruised and battered ribs.</p>
2099        <choice idref="sect128"><link-text>Turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
2100       </data>
2101      </section>
2102
2103      <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2104       <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2105
2106       <footnotes>
2107        <footnote id="sect120-1-foot" idref="sect120-1"><p>If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
2108       </footnotes>
2109
2110       <data>
2111        <p>You hurl yourself into the mass of fighting soldiers. At the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point<footref id="sect120-1" idref="sect120-1-foot"/>, you throw down two Shadakine warriors. Shan disarms a third with a lucky blow.</p>
2112        <p>The Shadakine warriors have become disordered by your attack, but you are still surrounded by four of them, who originally were commanded to guard the rear. You must fight them as one enemy and to the death. Shan adds 3 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
2113        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Rearguard</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">25</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
2114        <choice idref="sect189">If you are still alive after three rounds of combat, <link-text>turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
2115       </data>
2116      </section>
2117
2118      <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2119       <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2120
2121       <data>
2122        <p>Two Shadakine warriors stand before you. <quote>What are you doing lurking around here?</quote> asks one, prodding your chest with his fingers.</p>
2123        <p>You fumble for some excuse, observing that the Shadakine<ch.apos/>s eyes are completely white<ch.emdash/>they have no pupils. You try to persuade the two soldiers that you are a local fisherman, but they are deeply suspicious of your story and appearance and arrest you on the spot.</p>
2124        <choice idref="sect265">If you wish to resist the arrest by attacking the Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
2125        <choice idref="sect300">If you do not want to reveal your powers and purpose at this time, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2126       </data>
2127      </section>
2128
2129      <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2130       <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2131
2132       <data>
2133        <p>With great care, you step forward into the darkness, following the tunnel by running your hand along the wall. After a few minutes, the tunnel ends. You stumble blindly in the dark. Suddenly there is a terrible pain in your right leg as it is grabbed in a pincered grip. You are dragged to the floor and devoured silently by an enemy that you will never see.</p>
2134        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
2135       </data>
2136      </section>
2137
2138      <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2139       <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2140
2141       <data>
2142        <p>Fortunately you have your Staff with you. You lash out with it at Mother Magri, expending 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. However, your Staff passes right through her: she is only an apparition, created by the power of her thought. She cackles hideously and begins to chant:</p>
2143        <blockquote>
2144         <p>
2145          <line><foreign xml:lang="x-unknown"><ch.lsquot/>Mundi Kleas<ch.aacute/><ch.emdash/>Sorti Magri,</foreign></line>
2146          <line><foreign xml:lang="x-unknown">Shasarak Shinto, Gordus Shando<ch.ellips/><ch.rsquot/></foreign></line>
2147         </p>
2148        </blockquote>
2149        <p>The apparition of Mother Magri dissolves, to be replaced by a sinister shadow, an impenetrable blackness at the heart of the raging fire. Two eye-slits and a gaping mouth are all you see as the shadow creature lunges towards you.</p>
2150        <choice idref="sect149"><link-text>Turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
2151       </data>
2152      </section>
2153
2154      <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2155       <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2156
2157       <data>
2158        <p>You decide on Enchantment as your mode of escape: perhaps the gaoler could be persuaded to open your cell door? A plan forms and you sink into a deep trance, weaving an elaborate illusion in your mind.</p>
2159        <p><quote>Fire! Fire!</quote> you shout, pounding on the door of your cell. Shan looks at you strangely, for there is no sign of any smoke. <quote>Gaoler, open up before the whole place burns down!</quote></p>
2160        <p>After a little encouragement, Shan is soon persuaded to join in the charade and begins rushing around madly, yelling and pounding his fists on the door.</p>
2161        <illustration class="inline">
2162         <meta>
2163          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2164         </meta>
2165         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2166         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2167         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2168        </illustration>
2169        <p>Soon, the gaoler comes limping down the corridor and stops outside your cell. <quote>I thought I could smell smoke,</quote> he comments. He can see great plumes of fire raging in the middle of the dungeon and billowing smoke escaping under the door. He is completely fooled by your illusion and his rattling keys are soon in the lock. The door is thrown open and you and Shan bound up the steps and out into the corridor. The puzzled gaoler is left peering into the cell, wondering why the flames of the fire give off no heat.</p>
2170        <p>The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
2171        <choice idref="sect243">If you wish to pounce on the gaoler while he has his back to you, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
2172        <choice idref="sect23">If you would prefer to run to the right, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
2173        <choice idref="sect333">If you wish to turn left along the corridor, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
2174       </data>
2175      </section>
2176
2177      <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2178       <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2179
2180       <data>
2181        <p>You snatch up the dead gaoler<ch.apos/>s Keys and run along the corridor, unlocking each door as fast as you can. One by one, the doors are thrown open, and prisoners pour into the corridor, rushing in all directions. If you decide to keep the Gaoler<ch.apos/>s Keys, mark them as a Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2182        <choice idref="sect137">If you wish to go back along the corridor to take the left stairway, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
2183        <choice idref="sect212">If you wish to go back along the corridor to take the right stairway, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
2184        <choice idref="sect333">If you wish to enter a narrow passageway at this end of the corridor, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
2185       </data>
2186      </section>
2187
2188      <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2189       <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2190
2191       <data>
2192        <p>The Najin land and encircle you. Their leader steps forward, yammering and pointing to the hills ahead. <quote>They wish to lead us to Jnana,</quote> says Tanith. <quote>He is their master.</quote></p>
2193        <p><quote>I do not like this, Grey Star,</quote> says Shan. <quote>It is common knowledge that these beasts are used by the Wytch-king and the forces of Shadaki as spies and messengers. Surely this Jnana is a servant of the enemy?</quote></p>
2194        <choice idref="sect161">If you wish to follow the Najin, <link-text>turn to 161</link-text>.</choice>
2195        <choice idref="sect106">If you wish to leave the Chansi Hills, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2196       </data>
2197      </section>
2198
2199      <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2200       <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2201
2202       <data>
2203        <p>As the Shadakine warrior crumples and falls, the excited mob roars its approval. They hail you as a hero and crowd around you cheering. A new sound floats on the harbour wind and the uproar subsides. You can hear the clatter of pounding hooves and the rumble of thundering wheels. A wave of panic ripples through the crowd. <quote>The Wheels of Death!</quote> someone shouts.</p>
2204        <illustration class="inline">
2205         <meta>
2206          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2207         </meta>
2208         <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2209         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2210         <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2211        </illustration>
2212        <p>Three war chariots, driven by whip-wielding Shadakine, hurtle into the harbour. The chariot wheels have blades protruding from their hubs, and as the Shadakine plough into the crowd, the blades scythe down anyone in their path.</p>
2213        <p>In the confused panic, you see a chance to escape into a dark, narrow street.</p>
2214        <choice idref="sect50">If you wish to run towards the main entrance, <link-text>turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
2215        <choice idref="sect40">If you wish to run down the narrow street, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
2216       </data>
2217      </section>
2218
2219      <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2220       <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2221
2222       <data>
2223        <p>You and Shan huddle together. You are surrounded by writhing tendrils, though, for the moment, they seem reluctant to attack. <quote>If ever a garden needed weeding<ch.ellips/></quote> murmurs Shan.</p>
2224        <p>Somehow, you must get past the deadly Yaku. They have you trapped. <quote>We need something to divert their attention for a while,</quote> you say thoughtfully.</p>
2225        <p><quote>Don<ch.apos/>t look at me!</quote> Shan replies, wide-eyed.</p>
2226        <p>Despite your desperate plight, you cannot help smiling. <quote>Of course not,</quote> you answer, <quote>but perhaps there is another way<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
2227        <choice idref="sect181">If you possess the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use this Power to escape, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
2228        <choice idref="sect206">If you possess the Magical Power of Enchantment and some Calacena Mushrooms, and wish to use this method of escape, <link-text>turn to 206</link-text>.</choice>
2229        <choice idref="sect12">If you do not have either of these Magical Powers, or if you do not wish to use them, you may attempt to fight your way out by <link-text>turning to 12</link-text>.</choice>
2230       </data>
2231      </section>
2232
2233      <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2234       <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2235
2236       <data>
2237        <p>You leave the fearful Stone where it lies and throw open the door of the antechamber. Standing in the circular room is Tanith, the young girl in the service of Mother Magri. <quote>Grey Star,</quote> she says. <quote>At last, I<ch.apos/>ve found you.</quote></p>
2238        <p><quote>Beware,</quote> warns Shan. <quote>She is a Shadakine slave. She cannot be trusted.</quote></p>
2239        <choice idref="sect67">If you wish to attack the young girl, <link-text>turn to 67</link-text>.</choice>
2240        <choice idref="sect147">If you wish to question her, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
2241       </data>
2242      </section>
2243
2244      <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2245       <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2246
2247       <data>
2248        <p>You are beginning to tire. Suddenly Tanith reappears, leading a wizened old man who is shouting angrily in a strange language. At his command the Najin cease to attack, flying up into the air and off into the distance as swiftly as they came. <quote>Fools!</quote> curses the old man, dropping to his knees by the body of a dead Najin. <quote>My children, my eyes and ears,</quote> he moans bitterly. <quote>They meant you no harm. I sent them out in greeting.</quote></p>
2249        <p><quote>Jnana,</quote> says Tanith, pleading. <quote>They did not know; they did not understand.</quote></p>
2250        <p><quote>Why did you bring them here, Tanith?</quote> asks the blind, old man.</p>
2251        <p><quote>We seek the Lost Tribe of Lara,</quote> you say, humbly.</p>
2252        <p><quote>You seek your doom then,</quote> Jnana replies. <quote>The way to the Azanam is fraught with peril. Go now, you are not welcome here.</quote></p>
2253        <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2254       </data>
2255      </section>
2256
2257      <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2258       <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2259
2260       <data>
2261        <p>You strike up a conversation with the red-faced merchant. His name is Shan Li, a trader familiar with all parts of the Shadakine Empire and many strange lands beyond. Carefully, you steer the conversation to the subject of the Lost Tribe of Lara.</p>
2262        <p><quote>Ah now,</quote> begins the drunken merchant with some relish, <quote>the legend, eh? Well, there are many stories, and in my travels I have heard most of them. No word of the Laranese have I ever heard in the far north, the free kingdoms of the Lastlands, nor here in the Shadakine Empire. No indeed, the only story I ever heard that seemed authentic came to me in the city of Elzian where I was trading with the Magicians of Dessi. There I heard a story of the exile of the Lost Tribe to the cloud forests of the far south, that perilous place named the Azanam. Others, though, speak of the forested Shuri Mountains.</quote></p>
2263        <p>In a very loud voice, the merchant begins relating one of the many stories he has heard about the Laranese. You notice that many people are turning to stare, muttering and whispering. Before you can attempt to quieten him, a hand grabs your shoulder. You and the merchant have been arrested by four burly Shadakine guards.</p>
2264        <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2265       </data>
2266      </section>
2267
2268      <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2269       <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2270
2271       <data>
2272        <p>As you point your Staff towards the bridge, Tanith rises, takes a running jump onto the back of a crossbowman, and spoils his aim barely seconds before he releases a bolt intended for Shan. With the practised ease of a professional killer, she skilfully cuts the throat of the crossbowman with her knife.</p>
2273        <p>Meanwhile, you unleash a fork of crackling energy, which brings down a Shadakine warrior standing by the bridge, at the cost of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
2274        <choice idref="sect203"><link-text>Turn to 203</link-text>.</choice>
2275       </data>
2276      </section>
2277
2278      <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2279       <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2280
2281       <data>
2282        <p>Submissively you hand over your money pouch. With a mock bow, the cut-throat takes it, grinning fiendishly. <quote>And now a little silence from you, sir,</quote> he sneers. He lunges at you with great speed. The cut-throat is trying to kill you and you must fight.</p>
2283        <combat><enemy>Cut-throat</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">12</enemy-attribute></combat>
2284        <choice idref="sect27">You may evade after 2 rounds of combat if you are still alive; <link-text>turn to 27</link-text>.</choice>
2285        <choice idref="sect71">If you would rather fight to the death and you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 71</link-text>.</choice>
2286       </data>
2287      </section>
2288
2289      <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2290       <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2291
2292       <data>
2293        <p><quote>You are right, Tanith,</quote> you say, <quote>we need counsel. But who is this Jnana, and can he be trusted?</quote></p>
2294        <p><quote>He has no love of the Shadakine for, fearing the power of his wisdom, they blinded him many years ago in the ignorant belief that they could prevent his far sight by putting out his eyes. He sides with no one. He can be trusted. We must head for the Chansi Hills, which lie to the north of here. Come, follow me.</quote></p>
2295        <choice idref="sect58"><link-text>Turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
2296       </data>
2297      </section>
2298
2299      <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2300       <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2301
2302       <data>
2303        <p>To your horror you see another insect, larger than the first, blocking the exit of the tunnel. You have entered a Cave Mantiz nest. The Cave Mantiz live in colonies below ground, burrowing their nest out of stone by dissolving rock with the potent acid stored in their bodies.</p>
2304        <p>If you can find your way through this maze, you should be able to reach the surface above the Wall of Azakawa and enter the Azanam. But first you must deal with the creature that stands rearing before you. It is a soldier Mantiz and its clacking pincers and clawing, outsize forelimbs tell you that it does not intend to let you pass.</p>
2305        <choice idref="sect197"><link-text>Turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
2306       </data>
2307      </section>
2308
2309      <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2310       <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2311
2312       <data>
2313        <p>Treading lightly and with great caution, you move forward. You look all around, your eyes searching for an enemy lurking in the shadows, waiting to spring out at you from behind a rock or boulder.</p>
2314        <p>Shan is trembling visibly now and moves to draw his sword, but you motion him to stay his hand lest the sound should alert some dangerous beast. Still you can see nothing, but the strange croaking call persists, increasing in frequency and echoing all around.</p>
2315        <choice idref="sect345">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it to identify the nature of your danger, <link-text>turn to 345</link-text>.</choice>
2316        <choice idref="sect61">If you do not possess this Power, or if you would prefer not to use it, <link-text>turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
2317       </data>
2318      </section>
2319
2320      <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2321       <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2322
2323       <data>
2324        <p>With Shan the merchant hot on your heels, you dash up the stairs which lead to a small landing. There are two exits. The left exit is blocked by a heavy wooden door. To the right is an open archway leading into a narrow corridor. In the distance, you can hear the sound of screams and falling masonry. The ground below your feet trembles.</p>
2325        <p><quote>Which way?</quote> asks Shan.</p>
2326        <choice idref="sect92">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>. (Note down this section number first, as you will need to return to it afterwards.)</choice>
2327        <choice idref="sect142">If you wish to take the left exit, <link-text>turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
2328        <choice idref="sect163">If you would prefer to turn to the right, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2329       </data>
2330      </section>
2331
2332      <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2333       <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2334
2335       <data>
2336        <p>As you reach desperately for a handhold, your foot slips and you fall away from the cliff-face. You plummet towards the ground, stomach churning and heart beating faster<ch.emdash/>but not for long. As you hit the stony ground, your body is broken, and you are killed instantly.</p>
2337        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
2338       </data>
2339      </section>
2340
2341      <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2342       <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2343
2344       <data>
2345        <p>You concentrate the power of your thought and, at the cost of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, a shimmering field of energy encircles you. The form of Mother Magri disappears from the heart of the fire to be replaced by a far more sinister vision. A great shadow of impenetrable darkness appears in the flames of the fire. You see two blank eye-slits and a gaping mouth as the shadow creature lunges towards you.</p>
2346        <choice idref="sect149"><link-text>Turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
2347       </data>
2348      </section>
2349
2350      <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2351       <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2352
2353       <data>
2354        <p>The sun has begun to set. Far ahead of you, heading west, you sight a small group of fishing boats. You see growing numbers of these craft as you continue on your way, occasionally spotting larger seagoing vessels. Then your heart gives a leap of joy. You can make out the distant shape of a coastline and a harbour full of hundreds of fishing boats and sail ships. In the orange glow of the setting sun, the domes and spires of a city point challengingly towards the sky. This is the Port of Suhn, the first city you have ever seen.</p>
2355       <illustration class="float">
2356         <meta>
2357          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2358          <description>This is the Port of Suhn.</description>
2359         </meta>
2360         <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="636"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2361         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="636"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2362         <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="636" />
2363        </illustration>
2364        <choice idref="sect112">If you wish to enter the port before nightfall, <link-text>turn to 112</link-text>.</choice>
2365        <choice idref="sect280">If you wish to wait for darkness to descend, <link-text>turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2366       </data>
2367      </section>
2368
2369      <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2370       <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2371
2372       <data>
2373        <p>At the end of the sloping tunnel is an exit. You pass through and discover an even larger tunnel, curving away to the right and left. As you stand there, trying to decide which way to go, you hear the scrape of gigantic insect legs.</p>
2374        <p>A large soldier Mantiz is scurrying towards you from the right of the tunnel, pincers snapping and large, outsize forelimbs clawing at the air.</p>
2375        <choice idref="sect197"><link-text>Turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
2376       </data>
2377      </section>
2378
2379      <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2380       <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2381
2382       <data>
2383        <p>You push the heavy wooden door and give a cry of frustration: the door is locked.</p>
2384        <choice idref="sect286">If you have the Gaoler<ch.apos/>s Keys, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2385        <choice idref="sect159">If you wish to try to open the door through the use of Sorcery, <link-text>turn to 159</link-text>.</choice>
2386        <choice idref="sect170">If you wish to try to open the door through the use of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
2387        <choice idref="sect163">If you wish to take the right-hand archway, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2388       </data>
2389      </section>
2390
2391      <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2392       <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2393
2394       <data>
2395        <p>You give a cry of pain. Your future screams agonizingly in your mind. <quote>Death! Death and Danger!</quote></p>
2396        <p>With a great effort you try to locate the exact source of the danger but your senses only shout that it is all around, to the left and the right, above and below, in front and behind. In the darkness of your fear you understand one thing: you must keep moving, for it is the present that holds the greatest peril.</p>
2397        <p>The use of this Power has cost 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point and 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point, owing to the shock of the experience.</p>
2398        <choice idref="sect68">If you wish to explore the basin and the area around Lake Shenwu, <link-text>turn to 68</link-text>.</choice>
2399        <choice idref="sect118">If you would prefer to find a way to scale the cliffs, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
2400       </data>
2401      </section>
2402
2403      <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2404       <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2405
2406       <data>
2407        <p>All day long you have weighed in your mind which of your Magical Powers may best aid your escape, and as night falls, you prepare to make a decision.</p>
2408        <choice idref="sect172"><link-text>Turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
2409       </data>
2410      </section>
2411
2412      <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2413       <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2414
2415       <data>
2416        <p>The crossbowmen<ch.apos/>s expressions change to those of astonishment as the berserk merchant rushes towards them, red-faced and screaming comically in a strangled voice. Lunging ineptly with his sword, he engages the three crossbowmen with a series of eccentric strokes, none of which find a target.</p>
2417        <choice idref="sect132">If you wish to fire another long-range attack at the warriors on the bridge from the safety of your hiding place, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
2418        <choice idref="sect99">If you want to help Shan, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
2419        <choice idref="sect169">If you would prefer to charge the Shadakine warriors on the bridge, <link-text>turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
2420       </data>
2421      </section>
2422
2423      <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2424       <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2425
2426       <data>
2427        <p>Standing in the centre of the large clearing, hemmed in on all sides by giant Azawood trees and clumps of sprawling undergrowth, you stand and catch your breath. A look around the glade reveals a number of holes in the floor<ch.emdash/>entrances, no doubt, to similar shafts to the one you have left.</p>
2428        <illustration class="inline">
2429         <meta>
2430          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2431         </meta>
2432         <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="148"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2433         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="148"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2434         <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="148" />
2435        </illustration>
2436        <p>In a relentless tide, hundreds of Cave Mantiz pour out of these holes and stream towards you. Suddenly a pair of waving antennae appears in the entrance of a shaft close to where you stand.</p>
2437        <choice idref="sect158">If you wish to fire a bolt from your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff into the shaft by your feet, <link-text>turn to 158</link-text>.</choice>
2438        <choice idref="sect232">If you wish to dash straight into the undergrowth, <link-text>turn to 232</link-text>.</choice>
2439       </data>
2440      </section>
2441
2442      <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2443       <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2444
2445       <data>
2446        <p><quote>Tanith,</quote> you say, <quote>you serve Mother Magri. What do you intend to do?</quote></p>
2447        <p><quote>I know where your Staff is hidden,</quote> she replies. <quote>I can take you to it and help you to escape if you will take me with you. Decide quickly. There is great danger here and we have little time.</quote> You hear the running feet of the Shadakine guards coming from the stairs below and the voice of Mother Magri, barking orders and cursing the Shadakine in an angry tone.</p>
2448        <choice idref="sect221">If you agree to Tanith<ch.apos/>s request, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
2449        <choice idref="sect63">If you choose to ignore her words, <link-text>turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2450       </data>
2451      </section>
2452
2453      <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2454       <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2455
2456       <data>
2457        <p>Squinting in the dusky light, you see a webbed hand appear over the edge of the defile. Shan gives a groan of disbelief as the wounded Quoku heaves itself onto the ragged plain. Doggedly it moves towards you, dragging its tortured body, possessed of an inhuman vitality.</p>
2458        <illustration class="inline">
2459         <meta>
2460          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2461         </meta>
2462         <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2463         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2464         <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2465        </illustration>
2466        <p>You haul Shan to his feet and point to the south. <quote>Look,</quote> you say, <quote>we have nearly reached Lake Shenwu; one last effort now.</quote> You pull Shan to his feet and stagger across the plain at a painfully slow pace. Relentlessly, the Quoku trails behind, slowly gaining on you.</p>
2467        <p>With a cry of frustration, you see that your way ahead is blocked by a deep ravine that stretches nearly six feet across. The creature is not far behind you and you realize that there is not time enough to circle around the ravine. The Wall of Azakawa lies tantalizingly beyond reach.</p>
2468        <choice idref="sect49">If you wish to jump across the ravine, <link-text>turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
2469        <choice idref="sect233">If you wish to stand and fight the Quoku, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
2470       </data>
2471      </section>
2472
2473      <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2474       <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2475
2476       <data>
2477        <p><quote>A Kleas<ch.aacute/>!</quote> Tanith screams. <quote>A Soul-eater!</quote></p>
2478       <illustration class="float">
2479         <meta>
2480          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2481          <description><quote>A Kleas<ch.aacute/>!</quote> Tanith screams. <quote>A Soul-eater!</quote></description>
2482         </meta>
2483         <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2484         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2485         <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
2486        </illustration>
2487        <p>You must fight the Kleas<ch.aacute/> to the death. For every round of combat, subtract 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point and 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points from your total. If you have erected a magical shield of Sorcery, subtract 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point and 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point for every round of combat as the Kleas<ch.aacute/> tries to claw at your soul.</p>
2488        <combat><enemy>Kleas<ch.aacute/></enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">25</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
2489        <choice idref="sect165">If you are still alive after four rounds of combat or have defeated the Kleas<ch.aacute/> within three rounds, <link-text>turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
2490       </data>
2491      </section>
2492
2493      <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2494       <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2495
2496       <data>
2497        <p>The power of the Kazim Stone is overwhelming; it undermines your resistance, and pries into the corners of your mind; it disturbs the dust of your memories and trespasses upon the hidden chambers of your dreams.</p>
2498        <p>Mother Magri<ch.apos/>s eyes widen with spiteful pleasure. You are powerless to prevent her intrusion into your mind. You try to blank your thoughts, searching for the safety of the Shianti way, the solace of meditation, but it is useless. The Kazim Stone is too strong.</p>
2499        <p><quote>There now<ch.emdash/>I see it,</quote> rasps Mother Magri, scrutinizing the vague shapes and shadows of the Stone. <quote>Something<ch.apos/>s there, some hidden purpose or grand design. Agh! It is protected. Some power hides it. More wizard<ch.apos/>s sorcery no doubt. Will this mist never part?</quote></p>
2500        <p>The hours of your ordeal pass slowly. Mother Magri chants and intones every charm and spell in every language that she knows, but she cannot penetrate the curtain that enfolds your memory, shrouding that part of your mind that bears your quest. It must be Shianti enchantment bestowed, without your knowing, by the masters of the Isle of Lorn. However, Mother Magri does not relent, and you lose 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. You feel the growing pull of insanity and a raging madness clamouring in your ears.</p>
2501        <choice idref="sect348">If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points total is above zero, or you have the Magic Talisman of the Shianti, <link-text>turn to 348</link-text>.</choice>
2502        <choice idref="sect237">If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> total has now fallen to zero or below, <link-text>turn to 237</link-text>.</choice>
2503       </data>
2504      </section>
2505
2506      <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2507       <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2508
2509       <data>
2510        <p>It should be possible for an alchemist to mix a potion of acid capable of destroying the metal lock of the cell door, though you will need the correct ingredients to make up the following formula:</p>
2511        <blockquote>
2512         <p><strong>Ezeran Acid Potion</strong></p>
2513         <ul>
2514          <li>1 part Sulphur</li>
2515          <li>1 part Saltpetre</li>
2516          <li>1 part Ezeran Crystals</li>
2517         </ul>
2518         <p>Mix over a gentle heat.</p>
2519        </blockquote>
2520        <choice idref="sect297">If you have the ingredients in your Herb Pouch and an empty vial to mix them in, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
2521        <choice idref="sect172">If you do not have all these ingredients, you must select a different Power to aid you in your escape; <link-text>turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
2522       </data>
2523      </section>
2524
2525      <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2526       <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2527
2528       <data>
2529        <p>You make your way to the shack. It looks deserted. The door hangs half open, and the windows are overgrown with an innocuous, yellow/brown weed called Ogosho, indigenous to this area. You hear a rustling sound coming from within.</p>
2530        <choice idref="sect252">If you wish to enter the shack, <link-text>turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
2531        <choice idref="sect277">If you wish to use the element of surprise and burst in through the door, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
2532        <choice idref="sect302">If you think Shan should investigate, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
2533       </data>
2534      </section>
2535
2536      <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2537       <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2538
2539       <data>
2540        <p>As you close the door you hear the sound of running feet. Four Shadakine warriors are approaching. You turn the key in the lock. <quote>Hurry, Grey Star,</quote> Shan calls. <quote>There is no time to lose.</quote></p>
2541        <p>The Shadakine are beating at the door, shouting furiously for you to open it. Next, you hear the sound of heavy thumping as they try to force the door open.</p>
2542        <choice idref="sect185">If you have the Power of Sorcery and wish to bar the door, <link-text>turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
2543        <choice idref="sect198">If you do not have this Power, or if you would prefer not to use it, <link-text>turn to 198</link-text>.</choice>
2544       </data>
2545      </section>
2546
2547      <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2548       <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2549
2550       <data>
2551        <p>You grit your teeth against the pain of your wound as the ferocious Cave Mantiz springs towards you, its barbed claws thirsting for your vulnerable flesh.</p>
2552        <combat><enemy>Cave Mantiz</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">18</enemy-attribute></combat>
2553        <choice idref="sect4">You may evade this combat after one round by <link-text>turning to 4</link-text>.</choice>
2554        <choice idref="sect103">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 103</link-text>.</choice>
2555       </data>
2556      </section>
2557
2558      <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2559       <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2560
2561       <data>
2562        <p>It is a brave but futile act. You release a colossal beam of death at the Shadakine charioteer just as the horses trample you underfoot, crushing every bone in your body and killing you instantly.</p>
2563        <deadend>You have failed in your quest.</deadend>
2564       </data>
2565      </section>
2566
2567      <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2568       <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2569
2570       <data>
2571        <p>With Tanith and Shan at your side, you look towards the battle on the bridge. The Knights of the White Mountain have killed many Shadakine warriors, but it looks as though this time they will be defeated.</p>
2572        <p><quote>We must go to their aid,</quote> you say. You approach the bridge, intending to attack the Shadakine from the rear. Tanith has disappeared, so with Shan following, you prepare to charge.</p>
2573        <choice idref="sect215">If you wish to attack the Shadakine officer in command, <link-text>turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
2574        <choice idref="sect120">If you would prefer to attack the main Shadakine force, <link-text>turn to 120</link-text>.</choice>
2575       </data>
2576      </section>
2577
2578      <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2579       <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2580
2581       <data>
2582        <p>You are standing in the market square. It is bustling and full of life. Hundreds of stall owners are selling their wares by torchlight. You wander round the square, looking at the stalls and the items for sale there.</p>
2583        <choice idref="sect183">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
2584        <choice idref="sect26">If you do not have this Power, <link-text>turn to 26</link-text>.</choice>
2585       </data>
2586      </section>
2587
2588      <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2589       <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2590
2591       <data>
2592        <p>You fire down the shaft, using 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. The enclosed space of the shaft transforms the energy beam into a fireball that hurtles into the tunnel below. Soon, the shaft is clogged with the charred remains of insects.</p>
2593        <p>You limp into the tangled undergrowth, gasping with pain due to the prolonged effort of running on your injured leg. The dense foliage and huge Azawood roots make for slow progress as you stumble through the brush. The Cave Mantiz have not given up their pursuit and swarm through the forest depths at an alarming speed. Thousands of enraged insects scuttle and scurry towards you. Your heart pounds, and you fear that you cannot outrun them.</p>
2594        <choice idref="sect232"><link-text>Turn to 232</link-text>.</choice>
2595       </data>
2596      </section>
2597
2598      <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2599       <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2600
2601       <data>
2602        <p>Your Power of Sorcery should enable you to burst the door open, but it will use up a great deal of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to break the lock. You have no way of telling how many <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points will be required, and once committed to this spell you will have to follow it through to the finish.</p>
2603        <choice idref="sect114">If you still wish to use Sorcery to open the door, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
2604        <choice idref="sect170">If you have the Power of Alchemy and would rather use that to open the door, <link-text>turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
2605        <choice idref="sect163">If you wish to enter the open archway to the right, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2606       </data>
2607      </section>
2608
2609      <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2610       <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2611
2612       <data>
2613        <p>Gently you tip the liquid into the old man<ch.apos/>s mouth. After a short while, his eyes clear and a little colour returns to his cheeks. <quote>Thank you, brother,</quote> he says. <quote>That was kindly done. I would return your kindness, but first I must sleep<ch.ellips/>sleep<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
2614        <p>You finish your food and sit back, deep in thought. You feel exhausted and fall into a deep sleep, chanting Shianti words of peace and meditation to calm your mind and free your thoughts.</p>
2615        <choice idref="sect301"><link-text>Turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
2616       </data>
2617      </section>
2618
2619      <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2620       <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2621
2622       <data>
2623        <p>The hopping, fluttering Najin lead you into the stark, featureless hills. Eventually you come to a small cave entrance perched on a narrow ridge, overlooking a steep fall to the outlying hills below.</p>
2624        <p>An old man sits cross-legged before the cave entrance, staring out across the heights with sightless eyes. Without lifting his head or looking in your direction, he speaks. <quote>Who comes? Who disturbs the solitude of Jnana?</quote></p>
2625        <illustration class="inline">
2626         <meta>
2627          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2628         </meta>
2629         <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2630         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2631         <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2632        </illustration>
2633        <p><quote>It is I, Tanith,</quote> she says. <quote>I bring Grey Star, a great wizard who dares to oppose the evil Wytch-king. He is in need of counsel.</quote></p>
2634        <p><quote>I seek the Lost Tribe of Lara,</quote> you say, <quote>for I have a quest and need their aid.</quote></p>
2635        <p>The old man is silent for a while. <quote>You must go south to the great jungle of the Azanam. The way is fraught with danger, for you must pass through the great Azagad Gorge and the towers of stone known as the <quote>Dragon<ch.apos/>s Teeth</quote>.</quote></p>
2636        <p><quote>The Azagad Gorge is a vast canyon and the <quote>Dragon<ch.apos/>s Teeth</quote> are the great limestone pinnacles that stand throughout the gorge,</quote> explains Shan. <quote>The Azagad Gorge ends at the great cliffs known as the Wall of Azakawa; the Shenwu Falls lie at their centre. Beyond and above the cliffs is the great cloud forest of the Azanam.</quote></p>
2637        <p><quote>It is a strange land, full of weird and hostile beasts,</quote> warns Jnana. <quote>You are unprepared for such a journey, but I will offer you such gifts as I have to aid you.</quote></p>
2638        <p>He brings the following items from his cave and motions to you to take your choice.</p>
2639        <ul>
2640         <li>Silver Charm (a Special Item that Jnana claims will bring good luck)</li>
2641         <li>Enough food for 5 meals</li>
2642         <li>Broadsword (Weapon)</li>
2643         <li>2 Potions of Laumspur (they each restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points; may count as Backpack Items or Herb Pouch Items if you have the Power of Alchemy)</li>
2644         <li>Coil of Rope (Backpack Item)</li>
2645        </ul>
2646        <p>Remember that your Backpack can hold a maximum of eight items.</p>
2647        <p>Shan and Tanith are also given food, backpacks, and weapons of their choice. Gratefully, you thank Jnana for his aid.</p>
2648        <choice idref="sect193">If you possess the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 193</link-text>.</choice>
2649        <choice idref="sect15">If not, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
2650       </data>
2651      </section>
2652
2653      <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2654       <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2655
2656       <data>
2657        <p>Taking careful aim, you fire at the chariot as it crosses the bridge. Because of the distance between you and your target the attack costs you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
2658        <p>Your shot misses narrowly, falling just short of its target, but the fiery blast startles the team of black horses and causes the driver to lose his control over them.</p>
2659        <choice idref="sect255"><link-text>Turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
2660       </data>
2661      </section>
2662
2663      <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2664       <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2665
2666       <data>
2667        <p>You run through the open archway and into a narrow passage that slopes downwards at a steep angle. As the passage becomes darker, a feeling of disquiet overcomes you.</p>
2668        <choice idref="sect333"><link-text>Turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
2669       </data>
2670      </section>
2671
2672      <section class="numbered" id="sect164">
2673       <meta><title>164</title></meta>
2674
2675       <data>
2676        <!-- WOLM: storyline glitch; Shan might already have a sword -->
2677        <p>The dead bodies of the Shadakine lie at your feet. A thorough search reveals 10 Nobles and 2 Meals. Shan takes a sword from one of the bodies, smiling at you cheerfully. <quote>Souvenir,</quote> he says in jest.</p>
2678        <p>You may take the other Sword if you wish. Remember to make the necessary adjustment to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> before continuing on your journey towards the Azan River.</p>
2679        <choice idref="sect39"><link-text>Turn to 39</link-text>.</choice>
2680       </data>
2681      </section>
2682
2683      <section class="numbered" id="sect165">
2684       <meta><title>165</title></meta>
2685
2686       <data>
2687        <p>The Kleas<ch.aacute/> seems to be growing stronger as it erodes your will. No matter how badly you damage the fabric of the creature, you cannot alter the phantom<ch.apos/>s ability to feed on your spirit.</p>
2688        <p>Suddenly the creature grows, wrapping its whole body around you, engulfing you in a terrible darkness. You lose 5 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2689        <choice idref="sect177">If you are still alive and your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score has now fallen to zero or below, <link-text>turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
2690        <choice idref="sect192">If you are still alive and your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> is above zero, <link-text>turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
2691       </data>
2692      </section>
2693
2694      <section class="numbered" id="sect166">
2695       <meta><title>166</title></meta>
2696
2697       <data>
2698        <p>You turn and stride purposefully towards the man who has been following you. Unfortunately, before you can reach him, he calls out to two Shadakine warriors and they advance towards you.</p>
2699        <choice idref="sect241">If you wish to try to escape from them, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
2700        <choice idref="sect11">If you wish to confront the two Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
2701       </data>
2702      </section>
2703
2704      <section class="numbered" id="sect167">
2705       <meta><title>167</title></meta>
2706
2707       <data>
2708        <p><quote>Run<ch.emdash/>both of you!</quote> you shout to your companions.</p>
2709        <p>Both Tanith and Shan ignore your command, bravely standing their ground by your side, though neither has a weapon. The chariot has now reached the bridge and it thunders on towards you.</p>
2710        <choice idref="sect162">If you wish to unleash a long-range attack at the chariot, <link-text>turn to 162</link-text>.</choice>
2711        <choice idref="sect180">If you wish to stand your ground and allow the chariot to draw closer, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
2712       </data>