correcting issues reported by gblint.pl
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 01hh.xml
1 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
2  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
3  %general.links;
4  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
5  %xhtml.links;
6
7  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
8  %general.inclusions;
9 ]>
10
11 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
12
13 <meta>
14  <title>Highway Holocaust</title>
15   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
16   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Grant, Melvyn">Melvyn Grant</creator>
17   <creator class="short">Joe Dever</creator>
18   <creator class="medium">
19    <line>Joe Dever</line>
20    <line>Illustrated by Melvyn Grant</line>
21   </creator>
22   <creator class="long">
23    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.fw;
24    &inclusion.melvyn.grant.bio.fw;
25   </creator>
26   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
27   <date class="publication"><year>2018</year><month>2</month><day>15</day></date>
28   <description class="blurb">
29    <p>You are Cal Phoenix, the Freeway Warrior, champion and protector of Dallas Colony One. A murderous gang of HAVOC clansmen, led by the psychotic Mad Dog Michigan, are bent on destroying your fragile colony as it crosses the wastelands of Texas on the first stage of a life-or-death exodus to the California coast. These bike-riding clansmen are a formidable enemy: armed, cunning, and extremely dangerous, capable of launching a lightning raid at any time, day or night. You will need all your wits about you if you are to defend your people and reach your destination intact!</p>
30   </description>
31   <description class="publication">
32    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
33   </description>
34   <rights class="copyrights">
35    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Joe Dever.</line>
36    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Melvyn Grant.</line>
37   </rights>
38   <rights class="license-notification">
39    <p>
40     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Joe Dever.</line>
41     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Melvyn Grant.</line>
42     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
43    </p>
44   </rights>
45 </meta>
46
47 <section id="toc">
48  <meta />
49  <data />
50 </section>
51
52 <section id="title">
53  <meta>
54   <title>Title Page</title>
55   <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
56  </meta>
57
58  <data>
59
60   <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
61    <meta>
62     <title>Dedication</title>
63     <link class="prev" idref="title" />
64     <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
65    </meta>
66
67    <data>
68     <p class="dedication">For Rus and Sue</p>
69    </data>
70   </section>
71
72   <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
73    <meta>
74     <title>Acknowledgements</title>
75     <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
76     <link class="next" idref="dtd" />
77    </meta>
78
79    <data>
80
81      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
82
83     <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
84      <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
85
86      <data>
87       <dl>
88         <dt>Transcription</dt>
89          <dd>Matthew Reynolds</dd>
90         <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
91          <dd>
92           <line>Iain Smith</line>
93          </dd>
94         <dt>XML</dt>
95          <dd>
96           <line>Iain Smith</line>
97           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
98           <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
99          </dd>
100         <dt>Proofreading</dt>
101          <dd>
102           <line>Iain Smith (Frontmatter)</line>
103           <line>Matthew Reynolds (Sections 1<ch.endash/>105 and 246<ch.endash/>280)</line>
104           <line>Simon Osborne (Sections 106<ch.endash/>245 and 281<ch.endash/>350)</line>
105          </dd>
106         <dt>Editing</dt>
107          <dd>
108           <line>Iain Smith</line>
109           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
110           <line>Benjamin Krefetz</line>
111           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
112           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
113           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
114           <line>Neil McGrory</line>
115           <line>Mark Baumann</line>
116          </dd>
117         <dt>Conversion</dt>
118         <dd>
119           <line>Klaatu Einzelg<ch.auml/>nger (Highway Holocaust)</line>
120         </dd>
121         <dt>Coordination</dt>
122          <dd>Iain Smith</dd>
123         <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
124          <dd>Jeff Dougan, Nicholas Matzen</dd>
125       </dl>
126      </data>
127     </section>
128    </data>
129   </section>
130
131   <section class="frontmatter" id="dtd">
132    <meta>
133     <title>Dateline to Disaster</title>
134     <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
135     <link class="next" idref="calstory" />
136    </meta>
137
138    <data>
139     <dl>
140      <dt>1990<ch.endash/>1998</dt>
141       <dd>Rise of global terrorism on an unprecedented scale. Political violence funded by organized crime syndicate called HAVOC<ch.emdash/>The Hijack, Assassination, and Violent Opposition Consortium.</dd>
142      <dt>1998<ch.endash/>2003</dt>
143       <dd>The governments of many small and impoverished nations fall into the hands of HAVOC. International terrorists receive arms, training, and shelter in these <quote>Badlands</quote>.</dd>
144      <dt>2003<ch.endash/>2008</dt>
145       <dd>Raids on oil and gas installations, assassinations, and the kidnapping of prominent world statesmen become commonplace as HAVOC attempts to terrorize the civilized world into submission. Despite public outrage and growing international tension, the major powers steadfastly refuse to give in to HAVOC<ch.apos/>s demands.</dd>
146      <dt>2008</dt>
147       <dd>President of the United States and General Secretary of Supreme Soviet both assassinated at emergency summit meeting. US, USSR, and major European nations create the World Defence League and declare war on HAVOC. The Badlands are invaded, key HAVOC bases destroyed, and thousands of HAVOC agents are captured.</dd>
148      <dt>2009</dt>
149       <dd>HAVOC leaders imprisoned for life in <quote>Deep Pens</quote><ch.emdash/>maximum security gaols located deep underground<ch.emdash/>to prevent their escape or release by HAVOC agents still at large.</dd>
150      <dt>2010</dt>
151       <dd>New leadership emerges to unify the scattered remnants of HAVOC and plan revenge.</dd>
152      <dt>2011</dt>
153       <dd>A WDL train transporting seventeen 100-kiloton nuclear warheads, slated to be neutralized and dismantled, is attacked by HAVOC agents. The train is destroyed and its deadly cargo stolen.</dd>
154      <dt>2012 New Year<ch.apos/>s Day</dt>
155       <dd>HAVOC hijacks a WDL news satellite and broadcasts a chilling ultimatum. They have planted the seventeen stolen warheads in major cities throughout the US, USSR, and Europe. They call for the immediate release of all HAVOC agents held in Deep Pens, plus the payment of $2 trillion in gold bullion, or they will trigger the warheads one by one until their demands are met in full. A twenty-four hour deadline is set. WDL leaders declare an emergency and request that the deadline be extended. HAVOC refuses.</dd>
156      <dt>2nd January</dt>
157       <dd>First warhead detonated at Brie Nuclear Energy Plant, ten miles south of Paris, France. Blast and radioactive fallout claim millions of lives. HAVOC repeats its demand and extends deadline by twenty-four hours.</dd>
158      <dt>3rd January <quote>The Day</quote></dt>
159       <dd>World Defence League agents discover location of HAVOC command headquarters on an island in the South Pacific Ocean. Immediately orders are given to infiltrate and destroy the HQ and its occupants. The assault is swift and decisive; the complex is quickly overrun and its inhabitants are killed. Yet, ironically, as the news of this victory is being relayed around the world, HAVOC enacts its ultimate revenge. A transmitter hidden on the island, fitted with a time-delay mechanism, clicks on, sending its high-frequency radio signal to a communications satellite orbiting the earth. This signal is amplified and returned to earth where, simultaneously, it triggers the remaining nuclear warheads. The initial explosions set off a disastrous chain reaction that feeds on civil and military nuclear installations all across the northern hemisphere. Hundreds of millions of people are killed within days, and many more perish during the years that follow, falling victim to the lingering radioactivity and the severe climatic changes that affect the earth.</dd>
160      <dt>2012<ch.endash/>2019</dt>
161       <dd>Gale force winds sweep across the world, carrying enormous amounts of dust into the upper atmosphere and preventing much sunlight from reaching the earth<ch.apos/>s surface. Temperatures plummet, deterring survivors from remaining above ground. Communications are disrupted by gamma radiation, making all radio, cable, and satellite contact impossible. Small colonies of survivors develop in total isolation from one another during these years of darkness.</dd>
162      <dt>2019<ch.endash/>2020</dt>
163       <dd>Gradually, the dust storms die down and the sun penetrates the atmosphere, thawing the earth<ch.apos/>s frozen surface. Radiation has decayed to tolerable levels, and survivors emerge to reclaim what little remains of the world they once knew.</dd>
164     </dl>
165    </data>
166   </section>
167
168   <section class="frontmatter" id="calstory">
169    <meta>
170     <title>Cal<ch.apos/>s Story</title>
171     <link class="prev" idref="dtd" />
172     <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
173    </meta>
174
175    <data>
176     <p>You are Cal Phoenix, a survivor, born on Thanksgiving in the year 2000 AD. When you cast your mind back to the time before <quote>The Day</quote>, you recall your two brothers and your sister, your parents<ch.apos/> house in California, and summer vacations spent cruising the blue Pacific off Catalina Island aboard your father<ch.apos/>s boat. They are your fondest memories, yet your most vivid recollections are of winter vacations, when the family would drive to Dallas to spend Christmas with Uncle Jonas and Aunt Betty-Ann. Of all your Texan Christmases, the 2011 visit was the most memorable. It was also the last time you saw your family alive.</p>
177     <p>Your parents had decided to cancel the trip to Dallas that year. The oil shortage had pushed up the price of gasolene to $30 a gallon, and only the rich could afford to drive long distances, even in cars equipped with solar-pacs. You were so disappointed when you heard the news that you decided to walk the 1300 miles to Dallas, and would have done so had your father not caught up with you three miles from home. Then, when Uncle Jonas and Aunt Betty-Ann got to hear of it, they fixed it with your parents so that you at least could spend Christmas with them at their ranch near Denton.</p>
178     <p>From the moment they met your charter flight at Addison Airport you knew it was going to be a vacation to remember. Uncle Jonas was an oilman. He had been one ever since he graduated from the University of Texas in <ch.apos/>95 with a degree in geology. Earlier that summer he had been put in charge of construction at a shale-oil mine near Austin, the very first of its kind in Texas, and as a special Christmas treat he promised to take you on a guided tour of the whole underground complex.</p>
179
180     <illustration class="inline">
181      <meta>
182       <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
183      </meta>
184      <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
185      <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
186      <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
187     </illustration>
188
189     <p>On New Year<ch.apos/>s Day 2012, the three of you started out early on the road to your uncle<ch.apos/>s mine, located on the Austin Chalk, over 200 miles south of Dallas. The trip would take at least two days, with an overnight stop in Waco, for, in an effort to conserve energy, the Federal government had imposed a speed restriction of fifteen miles per hour on all state highways. It was a slow journey, and despite the sombre radio bulletins that gave news of HAVOC<ch.apos/>s latest threats, you can still remember your excitement at the thought of exploring those tunnels deep below the earth.</p>
190     <p>Your arrival at the mine was met by a military patrol, posted there by the World Defence League. The job of the patrol was to prevent sabotage; oil installations all over the world had become one of HAVOC<ch.apos/>s primary targets in their campaign of terror. The mine was officially closed for the New Year<ch.apos/>s recess but Uncle Jonas had right of access at all times and, after checking his papers, the patrol allowed you in. It was a massive complex and, for security reasons, it was totally self-supporting. A central shaft serviced the many working levels to which there were attached laboratories, workshops, and even refineries for processing the precious crude oil after it had been extracted from the rock. Uncle Jonas was explaining the function of these refineries, 300 feet below the surface, when it happened.</p>
191     <p>The ground shuddered when the shock waves from the first distant explosions reached the mine, and you remember thinking that it must be the start of an earthquake, the like of which you had experienced many times at home in California. But as the levels nearest the surface began to collapse and the central shaft filled with falling rubble, you realized the awful truth. The unthinkable had happened.</p>
192     <p>At first there was no way of telling the extent of the surface devastation. Below ground, the safety generators had automatically switched into operation when the main power supply failed, and the tremors faded quickly, encouraging your aunt and uncle to believe that the damage above was superficial. Uncle Jonas was confident that the military would mount a rescue operation and that you would be brought out within a few days<ch.emdash/>a week at the most. Aunt Betty-Ann was also optimistic. After all, there were emergency supplies, enough to feed 200 men for a whole month. Little did she know that the three of you would end up consuming all of those supplies, or that the mine would become your home, your shelter, and your prison for the next eight years of your lives.</p>
193     <p>It was a month after <quote>The Day</quote> when the three of you accepted that there would never be a rescue operation. Many days had been spent in silence, hoping and praying for the sounds of excavation or a voice on the radio link to the surface. But all that could be heard was the static crackle of the gamma radiation which was blanketing the earth. Uncle Jonas proposed that an attempt be made to reach the surface by tunnelling through the blocked central shaft. It was an awesomely dangerous feat, to dig vertically through 300 feet of compressed concrete rubble and twisted steel girders, but there was no other way you could ever hope to escape from the mine. Progress was painfully slow but the work gave you all a sense of purpose, a reason to go on, even though you feared what could be awaiting you on the surface.</p>
194     <p>Those years spent in the mine taught you invaluable lessons in survival. Uncle Jonas showed you how to refine gasolene from crude oil to keep the generators alive; to coax fresh water from porous rock; to manufacture spare parts in order to maintain vital machinery. Aunt Betty-Ann, who had at one time been a nurse and a high school teacher in Denton County, attended to your education and made sure that you stayed fit and healthy. Their love and support enabled you to grow during those dark days underground despite the enormous sense of loss you felt for your parents, brothers, and sister. You vowed then that one day you would repay their kindness by protecting and caring for them.</p>
195     <p>It was early September in the year 2019 when finally you broke through to the surface. Aunt Betty-Ann was convinced that radiation levels would still be dangerously high, and at first she was against leaving the mine. But, during the last few months of your incarceration, the static that had always jammed the radio wavelengths had gradually cleared, and Uncle Jonas was able to persuade her that this meant it was now safe to live above ground.</p>
196
197     <illustration class="inline">
198      <meta>
199       <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
200      </meta>
201      <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
202      <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
203      <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
204     </illustration>
205
206     <p>When you first emerged from the mine, you thought you were on the surface of another planet. Surely this could not be Earth? Few structures had survived the blizzards and intense cold that had swept around the world in the years following <quote>The Day</quote>, and now, after the dust had settled and the sun returned, the once-fertile plains of Austin resembled little more than a desert of parched and broken rock, littered with the artefacts of an absent civilization. During the first few days, when you set out to explore this wilderness, it was easy to believe that you were the only survivors. But on the morning of the fifth day, Uncle Jonas made a chance radio contact with a family called Ewell who were living near the ruins of McKinney, thirty miles north of Dallas. They told him that they had been in touch with a handful of other groups who had managed somehow to survive the holocaust. Most were isolated, unable to move due to lack of fuel, food, or water. They had urged those who could travel to join them in McKinney, to start a new community, and some were already on their way. Your uncle and aunt also accepted their invitation. McKinney was not very far from Denton, and they were curious to see if anything remained of their ranch. They planned to return home, salvage whatever they could that might be of use, and then move on to McKinney. The Ewells were enthusiastic, but they warned that not everyone who had survived wanted to establish a new community. The ruins of Dallas and Fort Worth were controlled by gangs of criminals who fought with each other and terrorized anyone seeking to reestablish law and order. They advised you to avoid them at all costs when travelling north.</p>
207     <p>Interstate Freeway 35 was the only highway still intact amid the devastation that surrounded the mine. It offered a direct route home to Denton, if only transportation could be found, for Uncle Jonas considered conditions far too dangerous to attempt such a long journey on foot. It took more than a week to discover a vehicle that was still serviceable. It was an old school bus, one that had been parked in an underground lot and had survived the years of sub-zero blizzards. With a few new parts, a tankful of gas, and a lot of hard work it was eventually brought back to life.</p>
208     <p>Provisions, including a small generator, were hoisted out of the mine and stowed aboard before you began the journey back to the ranch. The noisy old bus bumped along the rock-strewn freeway that stretched northward across an empty sea of dust. It was a harrowing sight. Hardly a trace remained of what were once thriving communities, and the once-populous cities of Temple and Waco had barely enough buildings still standing to qualify as small towns.</p>
209     <p>It was not until you reached the outskirts of Fort Worth that you encountered signs of human habitation. The road ahead was blocked by a line of wrecked autos, and at your approach a group of hard faced men and women, clad in composite costumes of leather and rivetted steel, suddenly popped up from behind this barricade. Uncle Jonas was suspicious and slowed the bus almost to a halt. Suddenly they produced handguns and rifles and began to take aim at the windshield, and he knew it was not the time to stop to ask for directions! He told you and Aunt Betty-Ann to brace yourselves; then he stamped his foot on the gas and drove the bus straight through the wall of cars, scattering the punks like ten-pins in a strike. The bus was shot at many times as it sped through Fort Worth, but the street gangs had been caught out and you managed to escape from the ruined city before they could give chase.</p>
210
211     <p>When you got to Denton you discovered that the ranch, like all the other nearby dwellings, had been reduced to a heap of broken bricks and shattered timbers. The sight greatly upset your aunt, and Uncle Jonas felt it better not to stop but to continue overland to McKinney. It was easy to find where the Ewells lived, for their ranch was the only place in town that was still standing. It looked more like an old frontier post than a ranch, with its fortified perimeter wall, lookout posts, and stake-filled moat. But, after your brush with the citizens of Fort Worth, it was easy to understand the need for these defences.</p>
212
213     <illustration class="inline">
214      <meta>
215       <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
216      </meta>
217      <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
218      <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
219      <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
220     </illustration>
221
222     <p><quote>Pop</quote> Ewell, the seventy-year-old grandfather of the Ewell family, was the leader of this small colony of survivors; it was he who had urged Uncle Jonas to join them when they had first made radio contact. The colony numbered less than a dozen at the time of your arrival, yet as the airwaves became clearer, soon this number had more than doubled to twenty-five. It was decided that a name was needed to identify the settlement. The name <quote>Dallas Colony One</quote> was adopted<ch.emdash/><quote>DC1</quote> for short<ch.emdash/>and from that day on everyone worked hard to make DC1 a secure haven for those seeking refuge from the hostile wastelands and marauding city gangs.</p>
223     <p><quote>Cutter</quote> Jacks was one such refugee. Before the holocaust he had been chief mechanic at the International Grand Prix Circuit near Lake Dallas, and his incredible skill and knowledge of engines was soon to prove invaluable to the colony. He taught you how to drive, and from a pile of old wrecks that you helped him salvage from the circuit he built you a powerful, customized car. You used it to patrol the highways north of the city, keeping a lookout for gangs of city punks who frequently mounted raids to steal or destroy DC1<ch.apos/>s supplies. <quote>Cutter</quote> also taught you to shoot, and it was your prowess with a gun and your skill behind the wheel that was to earn you the begrudging respect of your enemies who took to calling you <quote>Freeway Warrior</quote>.</p>
224
225     <illustration class="inline">
226      <meta>
227       <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
228      </meta>
229      <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
230      <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
231      <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
232     </illustration>
233
234     <p>Six months after you arrived at DC1, the colony was faced with a major crisis. A heat wave was causing a drought that threatened to destroy the food supply. Crops were failing and the colony<ch.apos/>s artesian well<ch.emdash/>its only source of uncontaminated water<ch.emdash/>was beginning to dry up. The drought was also provoking more attacks from the city punks who were desperate for food and water. Their common need united them and they posed a very real threat to the security of DC1.</p>
235     <p>It was the last day of May 2020 when Pop Ewell made radio contact with another colony who were based in the city of Big Spring, 300 miles west of McKinney. It appeared that their situation was completely the reverse of DC1<ch.apos/>s: they had plenty of food and water but they were desperately short of fuel. They told of their contact with survivors in Tucson, Arizona, who were also without fuel. The Tucson colony reported that the territories west of the mountains of the Sierra Nevada had been spared the worst effects of the radioactive blizzards that had devastated the rest of the country and, miraculously, much of southern California was still widely populated. It had survived the last eight years virtually intact. When you heard the news you could hardly believe your ears. Perhaps your family were alive. You might be reunited after all!</p>
236     <p>Pop Ewell called for a meeting to decide how best to deal with the crisis now facing DC1. Everyone agreed that to stay at McKinney would lead to eventual death, either slowly from starvation or suddenly at the hands of the murderous city gangs. The only option open to DC1 was to try to reach California; only there lay any real hope for the future of the colony. Your decision was relayed to the survivors at Big Spring and a deal was struck to rendezvous with them as soon as possible. DC1 would exchange fuel for food and water, and together they would join up with the Tucson colony for the final journey to California.</p>
237     <p>Preparations began almost immediately. Morale was so high that a heady sense of adventure and optimism enveloped everyone. Few guessed just how fraught with danger the journey would be.</p>
238
239    </data>
240   </section>
241
242   <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
243    <meta>
244     <title>The Game Rules</title>
245     <link class="prev" idref="calstory" />
246     <link class="next" idref="sskills" />
247    </meta>
248
249    <data>
250     <p>Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your personal characteristics and the weapons and provisions with which you are equipped. An <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> has been supplied on which to record and amend these details as the adventure unfolds.</p>
251     <p>Your personal characteristics comprise two basic attributes: <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. To discover your initial <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>, take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick a 0 it counts as zero. Add 10 to the number you have picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (for example, if your pencil falls on the number 5 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, you have a <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> total of 15). When you fight an enemy in hand-to-hand combat, your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be measured against that of your enemy, so a high score in this section is desirable.</p>
252     <p>To discover your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level, repeat the process, but this time add 20 to the number you have picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. Write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (for example, if your pencil falls on the number 8 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, you have a total <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score of 28). If you are wounded in combat, or injured at any other time during your adventure, you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If, at any time, your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total falls to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. You can regain lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during the course of the adventure, but your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level can never rise above your initial score.</p>
253
254     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="sskills">
255      <meta>
256       <title>Survival Skills</title>
257       <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
258       <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
259      </meta>
260
261      <data>
262
263       <p>Ever since the day you returned to the surface, you have endeavoured to develop your skills and natural instincts fully in order to best defend yourself and your colony.</p>
264       <p>Listed on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> are your five basic Survival Skills:</p>
265
266       <section class="frontmatter" id="driving">
267        <meta><title>Driving</title></meta>
268
269        <data>
270         <p>Your ability to control powered vehicles, such as cars, motorcycles, and trucks.</p>
271        </data>
272       </section>
273
274       <section class="frontmatter" id="shooting">
275        <meta><title>Shooting</title></meta>
276
277        <data>
278         <p>Your familiarity and experience in the use of missile weapons, such as pistols, machine pistols, shotguns, and rifles.</p>
279        </data>
280       </section>
281
282       <section class="frontmatter" id="fldcraft">
283        <meta><title>Field craft</title></meta>
284
285        <data>
286         <p>Your knowledge and experience of all aspects of outdoor survival.</p>
287        </data>
288       </section>
289
290       <section class="frontmatter" id="stealth">
291        <meta><title>Stealth</title></meta>
292
293        <data>
294         <p>Your physical fitness, the speed of your reflexes, and your dexterity.</p>
295        </data>
296       </section>
297
298       <section class="frontmatter" id="perceptn">
299        <meta><title>Perception</title></meta>
300
301        <data>
302         <p>Your intelligence, your ability to evaluate information, your education, and your mental alertness.</p>
303        </data>
304       </section>
305
306       <p>Your ability in each of these five individual skills is measured in skill points. You begin with 3 points per skill. Before starting the adventure, you may allocate an additional 4 skill points to your list of five Survival Skills. These 4 extra points can be used to improve one or more of your five skills. During your adventure, all five skills will be severely tested; therefore the higher the individual skill level, the better your chances of survival. You may allocate your 4 additional points entirely how you like.</p>
307       <p>When you have decided where to allocate your 4 additional skill points, make a note of the totals in the Survival Skills section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. (In your first adventure, your total number of skill points should be 19: five skills x 3 points each = 15, plus 4 additional skill points = 19 points.)</p>
308       <p>If you complete successfully the mission set in Book 1 of the <cite>Freeway Warrior</cite> series, you may add an additional 4 points to your Survival Skills in Book 2. These additional points, together with any equipment and provisions that you possess at the end of Book 1, may then be used in the next <cite>Freeway Warrior</cite> adventure, which is called <bookref series="fw" book="02smr"><cite>Slaughter Mountain Run</cite></bookref>.</p>
309      </data>
310     </section>
311
312     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
313      <meta>
314       <title>Equipment</title>
315       <link class="prev" idref="sskills" />
316       <link class="next" idref="weapons" />
317      </meta>
318
319      <data>
320       <p>Apart from your clothing, a number of useful items form your basic equipment. These comprise a Backpack and a belt on which hang your Ammo Pouch, Medi-kit, Water Canteen, and Hunting Knife. In addition to these items, you possess a <a idref="map">Map of Central Texas</a>, which you carry tucked inside your leather jacket.</p>
321
322       <section class="frontmatter" id="backpack">
323        <meta><title>Backpack</title></meta>
324        <data>
325         <p>Up to ten separate items may be stored and carried in your Backpack at any time. However, if more than three items are carried, your Stealth level will be reduced by 1 point. If more than six items are carried, your Stealth level will be reduced by 2 points; and if you carry a full Backpack (containing ten items), your Stealth level will be reduced by 3 points.</p>
326         <p>In order to equip yourself for the task ahead, you may choose up to four items from the following list:</p>
327         <ul>
328          <li><item>Solar Torch</item></li>
329          <li><item>HE (High Explosive) Grenade</item></li>
330          <li><item>Binoculars</item></li>
331          <li><item>Compass</item></li>
332          <li><item>CB Radio</item></li>
333          <li><item>Signal Flare</item></li>
334          <li><item>Three Meals</item> (each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack)</li>
335          <li><item>Flexible Saw</item></li>
336          <li><item>Geiger Counter</item></li>
337         </ul>
338
339         <illustration class="inline">
340          <meta>
341           <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
342          </meta>
343          <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
344          <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
345          <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
346         </illustration>
347
348         <p>List the items you have chosen on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. If you have picked four items, adjust your current Stealth level accordingly.</p>
349         <p>Opportunities may arise during your adventure for you to pick up useful items. These items will appear in the text in bold print and, unless you are instructed otherwise, they can be stored and carried in your Backpack.</p>
350         <p>You will need to eat regularly. If you do not possess any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
351        </data>
352       </section>
353
354       <section class="frontmatter" id="ammpouch">
355        <meta><title>Ammo Pouch</title></meta>
356        <data>
357         <p>Your Ammo Pouch is where you store any spare ammunition for firearms. It can hold a maximum of the following:</p>
358         <p>
359          <line>40 rounds of 9mm calibre Pistol/Machine Pistol ammunition</line>
360          <line>or</line>
361          <line>20 rounds of 7.62mm calibre Rifle ammunition</line>
362          <line>or</line>
363          <line>10 rounds of 12-gauge calibre Shotgun ammunition</line>
364         </p>
365         <p>When carrying mixed calibres of ammunition, use this equation to check how much space you have left in your Ammo Pouch:</p>
366         <blockquote><p>4 x 9mm rounds = 2 x 7.62 rounds = 1 x 12 gauge round</p></blockquote>
367         <p>Additional ammunition can be carried in your Backpack. Ammunition occupies one space for each quantity that is equal to (or less than) the maximum that can be carried in one Ammo Pouch.</p>
368        </data>
369       </section>
370
371       <section class="frontmatter" id="medikit">
372        <meta><title>Medi-kit</title></meta>
373        <data>
374         <p>A well-stocked Medi-kit can make all the difference to your chances of survival should you suffer injury in the field or as a result of combat. It contains useful first aid supplies, such as dressings, antiseptics, antibiotics, water purification tablets, sulfonamides, pain killers, potassium iodide tablets (to delay absorption of radioactivity), and sutures.</p>
375         <p>For convenience, these medical supplies are grouped into units. To find how many units you have in your Medi-kit, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 equals 10) and add 2. Your total score equals the number of units with which you begin your adventure. To keep a record of them, circle the appropriate number of unit symbols in the Medi-kit section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The maximum number of units you can carry in your Medi-kit is twelve.</p>
376         <p>You may use your Medi-kit units to restore lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points; each unit used in this way restores 3 points. Units cannot be used to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in lieu of a Meal or Water when instructed to eat or drink.</p>
377        </data>
378       </section>
379
380       <section class="frontmatter" id="canteen">
381        <meta><title>Water Canteen</title></meta>
382        <data>
383         <p>Water is essential to life, and your life will depend on having a sufficient, uncontaminated supply. You will need to drink regularly during your adventure. One drink is equivalent to half a pint and your canteen holds exactly two pints of water: enough for one day<ch.apos/>s needs. When instructed to drink, be sure to tick off one box in the Water section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
384         <p>If you do not have any Water when instructed to drink, you must lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
385        </data>
386       </section>
387
388      </data>
389     </section>
390
391     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="weapons">
392      <meta>
393       <title>Weapons</title>
394       <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
395       <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
396      </meta>
397
398      <footnotes>
399       <footnote id="weapons-1-foot" idref="weapons-1">
400        <p>It is reasonably clear that the Machine Pistol should not be used if you have fewer than 6 rounds of 9mm ammunition.</p>
401        <p>For some readers, however, it may seem counterintuitive to have ammunition left but be unable to use the weapon. We suggest to these readers that when 9mm ammunition falls below 6 rounds, the Machine Pistol can be treated as a Pistol (cf. <a idref="sect333">Section 333</a>). While this is not a perfect solution, it is a reasonable compromise.</p>
402       </footnote>
403      </footnotes>
404
405      <data>
406
407       <section class="frontmatter" id="close">
408        <meta><title>Close Combat Weapons</title></meta>
409        <data>
410         <p>These weapons aid you in hand-to-hand fighting. You begin your adventure armed with a Hunting Knife which, when used in close combat, adds 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Note this Hunting Knife in the Close Combat Weapons section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
411         <p>If you find a close combat weapon during your adventure, you may pick it up and use it. Close combat weapons will appear in the text with a close combat skill number, for example, Machete (3). This number indicates how many points this weapon will add to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> when used in a hand-to-hand fight.</p>
412         <p>The maximum number of close combat weapons you may carry is <em>two</em>, though you may only wield one at any time.</p>
413        </data>
414       </section>
415
416       <section class="frontmatter" id="missile">
417        <meta><title>Missile Weapons</title></meta>
418        <data>
419         <p>There are four types of missile weapon:</p>
420         <ul>
421          <li>Pistol</li>
422          <li>Machine Pistol</li>
423          <li>Shotgun</li>
424          <li>Rifle</li>
425         </ul>
426         <p>You begin your adventure armed with only one of these weapons. Make your choice and then record the weapon you have chosen, together with its calibre and rate of fire details, in the Missile Weapons section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
427         <p>In order to be able to use a missile weapon, you must have sufficient ammunition of the correct calibre. The following list shows the calibre of each weapon, the amount that is used every time the weapon is fired, and the number of rounds that you possess at the start of your adventure:</p>
428
429         <table>
430          <tr><th></th><th>Calibre</th><th>Rate of Fire</th><th>Initial No. of Rounds</th></tr>
431          <tr><td>Pistol</td><td>9mm</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">8</td></tr>
432          <tr><td>Machine Pistol</td><td>9mm</td><td align="center">6<footref id="weapons-1" idref="weapons-1-foot"/></td><td align="center">30</td></tr>
433          <tr><td>Shotgun</td><td>12-gauge</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">4</td></tr>
434          <tr><td>Rifle</td><td>7.62mm</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">4</td></tr>
435         </table>
436
437         <p>The initial number of rounds should be noted in the Ammo Pouch section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. Missile weapons cannot be used if you run out of ammunition or possess only rounds of the wrong calibre. However, the opportunity may arise for you to replenish your supply of ammunition and/or discover a weapon of the correct calibre.</p>
438         <p>You may carry a maximum of three missile weapons. However, for every missile weapon that you carry (excluding your initial choice), you must reduce your Stealth level by 1 point.</p>
439
440        </data>
441       </section>
442
443      </data>
444     </section>
445
446     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
447      <meta>
448       <title>Rules for Close Combat</title>
449       <link class="prev" idref="weapons" />
450       <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
451      </meta>
452
453      <data>
454       <p>There will be occasions when you will have to fight an enemy in hand-to-hand combat. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level will both be given in the text. Your aim in close combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero or below while losing as few of your own <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible.</p>
455       <p>At the start of a close combat, enter both your own and your enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Close Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The sequence for close combat is as follows:</p>
456       <ol class="paragraphed">
457        <li><p>Add any extra points gained through the use of close combat weapons to your current <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
458        <li>
459         <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
460         <p>
461          <line>Example</line>
462          <line>Cal Phoenix (<typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> 17) is attacked by a Renegade Clansman (<typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> 18). He is not given the opportunity to evade close combat, but must stand and fight his adversary. Cal Phoenix is armed with a Hunting Knife, so he adds 2 points to his <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>, giving a total <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 19.</line></p>
463         <p>He subtracts the Renegade Clansman<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.plus/>1 (19 <ch.minus/> 18 = <ch.plus/>1). He notes this <ch.plus/>1 on his <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
464        </li>
465        <li><p>After working out your Combat Ratio, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
466        <li>
467         <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Close Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the number that you have picked (the random numbers appear down the side of the chart). You now have the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Cal Phoenix and his enemy in this round of close combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; CP represents points lost by Cal Phoenix.)</p>
468         <p>
469          <line>Example</line>
470          <line>The Combat Ratio between Cal Phoenix and the Renegade Clansman has been established as <ch.plus/>1. If the number picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 4, then the result of the first round of close combat is:</line></p>
471         <ul>
472          <li>Cal Phoenix loses 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
473          <li>Renegade Clansman loses 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
474         </ul>
475        </li>
476        <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the close combat.</p></li>
477        <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, start the next round of close combat.</p></li>
478        <li><p>Repeat the sequence from stage 3.</p></li>
479       </ol>
480       <p>This procedure continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Cal Phoenix are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Cal Phoenix is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Cal Phoenix proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
481       <p>A <a idref="crsumary">Summary of the Close Combat Rules</a> appears on the page after the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
482
483       <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
484        <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
485        <data>
486         <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade close combat. If you have already engaged in a round of close combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored; only Cal Phoenix may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but that is the risk of running away! You may evade combat only if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
487        </data>
488       </section>
489      </data>
490     </section>
491     
492    </data>
493   </section>
494
495   <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
496    <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
497
498    <data>
499
500     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
501      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
502
503      <data>
504       <p>After a week of careful preparation, the colony is ready to begin the long trek to Big Spring. Three vehicles have been picked to make up the convoy: the school bus, your customized roadster, and a gasolene tanker that was salvaged from an old drilling site at nearby Greenville. Cutter and your uncle have rigged up a square canvas canopy to hide the tanker<ch.apos/>s tell-tale cylindrical body, which now holds over 5,000 gallons of petroleum, siphoned from the underground storage tanks at the Ewell ranch. In this fuel-starved world, gasolene is the most valuable of all commodities. If the city gangs were to discover that DC1 were transporting such a precious load they would stop at nothing to capture it.</p>
505       <p>Most of the colony will be travelling aboard the bus, which will be driven by your uncle. Cutter will drive the tanker and you, acting as scout, will drive your roadster at the head of the convoy. With the bus full of passengers, luggage is limited to essential supplies only; everything else will be destroyed before leaving McKinney. At dawn, on the day before the convoy is to set off, a thorough check is made of the vehicles and provisions. There is enough food and water to reach your destination but, apart from your personal weapons, the colony has very few firearms with which to defend itself.</p>
506       <p>Long Jake Bannerman, a former roustabout from Gainsville, has volunteered to drive north and search for weapons and ammunition. His brother once owned a hardware store in Sherman and kept his stock of sporting guns locked in the basement. Although they may have to be dug out there is a good chance that they have survived intact. Everyone agrees that it is worth a try, and so Jake, equipped with a CB radio, a shovel, and a rusty revolver, sets out for Sherman in his beat-up old truck.</p>
507       <p>Two hours later he radios a message from Sherman. He has found rifles and ammunition, but his truck has broken down and he is now stranded in the town. He has also found a survivor<ch.emdash/>a teenage girl<ch.emdash/>and he requests that you come to pick them up as soon as possible. Uncle Jonas agrees. He tells him to sit tight and wait for you to arrive.</p>
508       <p><quote>Trust Jake to go an<ch.apos/> maroon hi<ch.apos/>self with a gal!</quote> grumbles Uncle Jonas, wryly. <quote>Cal, you better git your body up to Sherman and haul <ch.apos/>em back here. An<ch.apos/> no messin<ch.apos/> with street punks on the way, y<ch.apos/>hear!</quote></p>
509       <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>ll be back in time for breakfast!</quote> you reply, cheerily, as you slide behind the wheel of your roadster and fire up its throaty V-8 engine. Then, with a farewell wave, you power the car out of McKinney and speed northwards to Sherman along what remains of Highway 75.</p>
510       <choice idref="sect204"><link-text>Turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
511      </data>
512     </section>
513
514     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
515      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
516
517      <data>
518       <p>You press your face against the metal stock of your machine pistol, take careful aim at the enemy sniper perched on the building opposite, and squeeze the trigger.</p>
519
520       <illustration class="inline">
521        <meta>
522         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
523        </meta>
524        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
525        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
526        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
527       </illustration>
528
529       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
530       <choice idref="sect349">If your total score is now 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
531       <choice idref="sect229">If your total score is now 11 or more, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
532      </data>
533     </section>
534
535     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
536      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
537
538      <data>
539       <p>You are about to search the bodies for items that may help you survive when you hear the mob ascending the stairs. Immediately you abandon the idea and concentrate on making an escape. At the end of the corridor is an open window. Below is an alleyway that passes to the rear of the bar. Without a moment<ch.apos/>s hesitation, you climb out onto the ledge and leap to the ground, landing with a jolt that leaves you breathless. Gasping for air, you stagger along the alley and out into a deserted street. The jump has robbed you of stamina but at least you didn<ch.apos/>t break any bones.</p>
540       <p>Desperately you look for somewhere to hide while you recover. An old boarding house opposite seems to be the answer to your prayers, and you cross the street and enter before the mob reappears.</p>
541       <choice idref="sect86"><link-text>Turn to 86</link-text>.</choice>
542      </data>
543     </section>
544
545     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
546      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
547
548      <data>
549       <p>You recall that these letters are the chemical symbol for sodium chloride<ch.emdash/>common salt. You have stumbled upon a huge stockpile of a substance that is vital to human survival, yet one that is becoming harder to find with every passing day. In your excitement you let out a shout and can barely stop yourself from dancing around the crate in sheer delight.</p>
550       <p>You decide to take as many tubs of salt as you can carry and return to the convoy without delay.</p>
551       <choice idref="sect29"><link-text>Turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
552      </data>
553     </section>
554
555     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
556      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
557
558      <data>
559       <p>You pull and release the bolt of your G-12 then level the barrel at the leading dog as it gets ready to make its leap. Hurriedly you squeeze off a burst of fire that rips through its chest and sends its lifeless body spinning backwards among the rest of the pack. The death of their brother<ch.emdash/>and the noise and fury of your weapon<ch.emdash/>brings the pack to a sudden halt.</p>
560       <p>Remember to deduct six rounds of 9mm ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
561       <choice idref="sect90"><link-text>Turn to 90</link-text>.</choice>
562      </data>
563     </section>
564
565     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
566      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
567
568      <data>
569       <p>A bullet clips you, drawing a crimson line across the top of your right forearm before it ricochets off the steering wheel: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
570       <p>You wince at the pain and curse your unseen attacker, but you do not lose control of your roadster. Stoically you staunch the bleeding and continue to lead the convoy on its detour around Westbrook.</p>
571       <choice idref="sect347"><link-text>Turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
572      </data>
573     </section>
574
575     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
576      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
577
578      <data>
579       <p>Moonlight pours in through a large hole in the roof, illuminating the interior of the store. Judging by the nature of the debris littering the floor, this place was once a liquor store. Most of its stock was consumed by the Skulls when they first took over the town, but after a careful search, you discover a <item>Bottle of Bourbon</item> still intact.</p>
580       <p>If you decide to keep this item, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
581       <choice idref="sect273">To leave the store and continue, <link-text>turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
582
583      </data>
584     </section>
585
586     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
587      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
588
589      <data>
590       <p>You draw your pistol, take aim at the widest part of the clansman<ch.apos/>s torso, and hold your breath as you get ready to fire.</p>
591       <p>Add your Shooting skill total to your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
592       <choice idref="sect96">If your total score is now 15 or less, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
593       <choice idref="sect344">If your total score is now 16 or more, <link-text>turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
594      </data>
595     </section>
596
597     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
598      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
599
600      <data>
601       <p>Your bullet hits home, striking the machine gunner squarely in the chest and spinning him away from the window with the force of its impact. You breathe a little easier. Then a long burst of fire echoes from inside the building, causing you to duck involuntarily. But this time you are in no immediate danger. Your single shot proved fatal and, in the throes of death, your enemy has emptied a full magazine into the walls and shattered ceiling of the drugstore.</p>
602       <p>Remember to erase one 9mm round from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
603       <choice idref="sect251">To continue, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
604      </data>
605     </section>
606
607     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
608      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
609
610      <data>
611       <p>You land heavily, slip, and lose your footing. Desperately you throw out your hands to stop yourself from falling, and you manage to grab the edge of the door itself. But your legs are now being dragged along the freeway at forty miles an hour: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
612       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 = 10) and add to it your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
613       <choice idref="sect148">If your total is 14 or less, <link-text>turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
614       <choice idref="sect272">If your total is 15 or more, <link-text>turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
615      </data>
616     </section>
617
618     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
619      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
620
621      <data>
622       <p>Your caution was well placed. As you focus on the town you count over twenty motorcycles parked at random along the highway. Their riders are looting the stores and houses nearby, and much of what they have found lies heaped beside their machines. Suddenly a pinpoint of light climbs into the sky and explodes with a brilliant white flash that illuminates the surrounding landscape.</p>
623       <p><quote>What do you make of that?</quote> you say, as Cutter and Kate join you to find out what is wrong.</p>
624       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s a signal flare,</quote> replies Kate. <quote>I think they<ch.apos/>ve seen us.</quote></p>
625       <choice idref="sect170"><link-text>Turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
626      </data>
627     </section>
628
629     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
630      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
631
632      <data>
633       <p>The climb is steep and tortuous but you manage to reach the top of the gully in one piece. Carefully, you pick your way around the edge until you happen upon a narrow path that ascends towards the flickering light on the mountainside above. As you draw closer, you see that the light is being cast by a small fire burning at the entrance to a cave. You approach with caution. As you draw level with the cave, you are greeted by a strange and curious sight.</p>
634       <choice idref="sect305"><link-text>Turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
635      </data>
636     </section>
637
638     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
639      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
640
641      <data>
642       <p>A gnawing pain, brought on by the exertion of opening your backpack, stiffens your right hand. You grit your teeth and persist until your aching fingers locate the tip of your survival flare. With care you remove it from the pack and position it between the ropes that bind your body in such a way as to avoid burning yourself when you set it off.</p>
643       <p>Less than a dozen clanswomen and children are on the street when you decide to fire the flare. There is a flash of red light at your side as it erupts into life; then you are engulfed by a huge cloud of choking crimson smoke. The flare alerts the clanswomen who immediately raise the alarm while you struggle against your smouldering bonds.</p>
644       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
645       <choice idref="sect91">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
646       <choice idref="sect30">If the number is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 30</link-text>.</choice>
647      </data>
648     </section>
649
650     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
651      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
652
653      <data>
654       <p>You raise your hand and give the signal to stop. The tanker and the bus slow to a halt and, as you bring your own vehicle to a standstill, you switch off the ignition and reach for your gun.</p>
655       <choice idref="sect101">If you are using a Pistol, <link-text>turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
656       <choice idref="sect131">If you are using a Machine Pistol, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
657       <choice idref="sect72">If you are using a Shotgun, <link-text>turn to 72</link-text>.</choice>
658       <choice idref="sect233">If you are using a Rifle, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
659      </data>
660     </section>
661
662     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
663      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
664
665      <data>
666       <p>As soon as you strike your killing blow, you raise your eyes, expecting to see the other clansman reloading, but instead he discards an empty magazine and turns to run back to his bike. He has exhausted his ammunition and has decided to make his escape before you have a chance to return fire. As he rides off, Kate reaches the top of the slope and suggests that you search the body of the one who did not get away.</p>
667       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
668      </data>
669     </section>
670
671     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
672      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
673
674      <data>
675       <p>You reach for a close combat weapon as the first of the pack reaches the highway and comes bounding towards you.</p>
676       <illustration class="float">
677        <meta>
678         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
679         <description>You know too well that one scratch from an infected dog will seal your doom.</description>
680        </meta>
681        <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/png"/>
682        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
683        <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
684       </illustration>
685       <p>You have encountered rabid dogs before and know only too well that just one scratch from an infected beast will seal your doom. You must fight with speed and skill if you are to survive this deadly attack.</p>
686       <combat><enemy>Rabid Dog</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
687
688       <choice idref="sect113">If you win and the fight lasts three rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
689       <choice idref="sect291">If you win the fight in four rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
690      </data>
691     </section>
692
693     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
694      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
695
696      <data>
697       <p>It takes just four seconds for the clansman to pump thirty bullets into the side of your roadster. Several of the special armour-piercing loads pass straight through the thin metal sheeting that encases the driving compartment, and wound you in a line from your shoulder to your thigh. The force of their impact knocks you across the passenger seat and, as you fall, you pull the steering wheel and send the car veering wildly out of control. It careers off the road and rolls over and over until finally it explodes with a tremendous roar.</p>
698
699       <illustration class="inline">
700        <meta>
701         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
702        </meta>
703        <instance class="html" src="small12.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
704        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small12.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
705        <instance class="pdf" src="small12.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
706       </illustration>
707
708       <p>Tragically, your journey and your life end here on Interstate 20.</p>
709      </data>
710     </section>
711
712     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
713      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
714
715      <data>
716       <p>The moment you break cover, gunfire erupts from all sides. In the hope of making yourself a difficult target you zigzag towards the door, but your manoeuvre is anticipated and a stream of bullets tears up the ground ahead, dangerously close. Long Jake shouts encouragement, and you are within a few feet of the doorway when a sharp burning sensation lances your right forearm: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
717       <p>Gritting your teeth against the sudden pain of your wound, you force yourself forwards and fall headlong through the doorway.</p>
718       <choice idref="sect329"><link-text>Turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
719      </data>
720     </section>
721
722     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
723      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
724
725      <data>
726       <p>Suddenly a starburst of pain explodes in your head and your mouth fills with a thick, hot liquid. You have been hit in the face by a sniper<ch.apos/>s bullet, fired from a diner on the other side of the highway, and your wound is fatal. Death is instantaneous.</p>
727       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here at Westbrook.</deadend>
728      </data>
729     </section>
730
731     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
732      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
733
734      <footnotes>
735       <footnote id="sect20-1-foot" idref="sect20-1">
736        <p>This is the correct answer to the keypad puzzle in <a idref="sect152">Section 152</a>.</p>
737       </footnote>
738      </footnotes>
739
740      <data>
741       <p>The instant you tap the number 20 on the keypad,<footref id="sect20-1" idref="sect20-1-foot"/> there is a sharp <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> and the steel door swings inwards to reveal the shelved walls of a strongroom beyond. You smile with satisfaction at having cracked the university<ch.apos/>s door code: the number in the last column of each row is the sum of the numbers in the first two columns, minus the number in the third column.</p>
742       <p>Curious as to what lies within, you enter the strongroom and inspect its dusty shelves. This concrete vault contains the documentation of experiments and small quantities of what were once considered precious metals<ch.emdash/>gold, platinum, silver, and titanium. After a thorough search you find three items that you may be able to put to practical use:</p>
743       <ul>
744        <li><item>Geiger Counter</item></li>
745        <li><item>Altimeter</item></li>
746        <li><item>Radiation Suit</item> (occupies two item spaces in the Backpack)</li>
747       </ul>
748       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, amend your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
749       <choice idref="sect29">To leave the strongroom and return to the convoy, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
750      </data>
751     </section>
752
753     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
754      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
755
756      <data>
757       <p>You react swiftly to the danger by pulling the steering wheel to the left and leaning with your car as it swerves across the freeway. A moment later you hear the metallic whine of the bullet as it ricochets off the edge of your windshield. Tiny fragments of the high-velocity bullet pepper your headrest but you survive the attack unscathed. Quickly you recover control of your car and signal to the others to accelerate. By the time the unknown sniper has reloaded his rifle, you and the convoy are speeding away from the bridge, obscured by a cloud of dust.</p>
758       <choice idref="sect150"><link-text>Turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
759      </data>
760     </section>
761
762     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
763      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
764
765      <data>
766       <p>Obstructions are few on this stretch of Interstate 35. Most of the wrecks that once choked this route into Fort Worth now lie in dusty heaps at the side of the road, their bodies having been stripped of serviceable parts long ago by city gang scavengers. The piles of auto-shells steadily increase as you near the outskirts of Fort Worth, warning you of the increasing likelihood of ambush and prompting you to keep your eyes peeled for anything that could pose a threat to the convoy.</p>
767       <p>To your left, you can see the buildings of downtown Dallas perched precariously around the edge of a huge crater. These once-gleaming towers of mirrored glass and steel now lie black and broken, like a circle of charred bones. It is a chilling sight.</p>
768
769       <illustration class="inline">
770        <meta>
771         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
772        </meta>
773        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
774        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
775        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
776       </illustration>
777       
778       <p>At a junction on the outskirts of Fort Worth, you decide to leave Interstate 35 and follow a safer route that will take you around the city. The remains of Interstate 820 serve your purpose well, until you reach another junction where the Jacksboro Highway crosses your path. In order for the convoy to connect with Interstate Freeway 20, the highway that leads all the way to Big Spring, you must traverse one major obstacle<ch.emdash/>the Trinity River.</p>
779       <p>You consult your <a idref="map">map</a>. There are two places where the convoy can cross the Trinity, both of them close by. Two miles further along Interstate 820 there is a bridge over Lake Worth. Two miles northwest, along the Jacksboro Highway, another bridge crosses the river at a place called Lakeside Village.</p>
780       <choice idref="sect312">If you wish to check out the bridge at Lakeside Village, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
781       <choice idref="sect149">If you decide to continue along Interstate 820 and attempt to cross the Trinity River at Lake Worth, <link-text>turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
782      </data>
783     </section>
784
785     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
786      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
787
788      <data>
789       <p>You squeeze the trigger and immediately the rider throws his hands to his face. He swoons, falls backwards, and then tumbles from the saddle. Before the sidecar rider can jump free, the speeding machine careers off the road into the wall of an office building, and explodes in a searing ball of flame. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.)</p>
790       <p>With grim satisfaction you stare at the burning wreckage, but your gaze is soon distracted by a column of motorcycles<ch.emdash/>the main body of the clan<ch.emdash/>as it rides into view. They are now less than a mile from the bridge. <quote>C<ch.apos/>mon you two!</quote> shouts Cutter. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s time to go.</quote> The tanker has made it across the platform and is now parked with the other vehicles on the far side of the river. Kate is running towards you from the factory, and as she reaches the bridge, you call out to her: <quote>Set the bomb! I<ch.apos/>ll cover you!</quote></p>
791       <illustration class="inline">
792        <meta>
793         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
794        </meta>
795        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
796        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
797        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
798       </illustration>
799       <p>Tensely you watch the clansmen as they gun their bikes along the freeway, and you glance repeatedly over your shoulder, praying for Kate to signal that the bomb is ready. Then the front line of bikers opens fire with their machine pistols, and suddenly the air is filled with the whine and whistle of bullets. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s ready!</quote> shouts Kate, and takes off across the bridge at a run.</p>
800       <p>Add together your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score and your Stealth skill total. (<strong>Note</strong>: If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is low and you are heavily encumbered, it may be advisable to discard some of your Backpack Items in order to increase your Stealth skill level.)</p>
801       <choice idref="sect324">If your total is 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
802       <choice idref="sect200">If your total is 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
803      </data>
804     </section>
805
806     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
807      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
808
809      <data>
810       <p>You thumb back the switch and point the narrow beam of light at the ground. To your surprise you are standing on the edge of a deep gully, the remains of a dried-out stream that once gushed and tumbled down this rocky mountainside.</p>
811       <p>Carefully, you pick your way around the gully and follow a narrow path that ascends towards the flickering light. As you draw closer, you see that the light is being cast by a small fire burning at the entrance to a cave. You switch off your torch and approach with caution. As you draw level with the cave, you are greeted by a strange and curious sight.</p>
812       <choice idref="sect305"><link-text>Turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
813      </data>
814     </section>
815
816     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
817      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
818
819      <data>
820       <p>You manage to unsheathe your weapon moments before the rattlesnake lunges at your legs.</p>
821       <combat><enemy>Diamondback Rattlesnake</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">11</enemy-attribute></combat>
822       <p>Owing to the speed of its attack, you have only one chance of killing the snake before it bites you. Conduct the first round of combat using the normal combat procedure.</p>
823       <choice idref="sect266">If the snake loses the greater number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the initial round, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
824       <choice idref="sect157">If you lose the greater number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the initial round, do not deduct them from your total, but instead <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
825      </data>
826     </section>
827
828     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
829      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
830
831      <data>
832       <p>Silently you unsling your shotgun and trombone a 12-gauge shell into the breach. The machine gunner disappears from view, reappearing a moment later with his reloaded gun held at waist level, ready to fire.</p>
833
834       <illustration class="inline">
835        <meta>
836         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
837        </meta>
838        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
839        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
840        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
841       </illustration>
842
843       <p>In one swift, smooth movement you bring your gun to your shoulder and fire.</p>
844       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
845       <choice idref="sect275">If the total is now 0<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
846       <choice idref="sect111">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
847      </data>
848     </section>
849
850     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
851      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
852
853      <data>
854       <p>You see the muzzle flash of his rifle and feel a red-hot pain cut across the top of your head as the bullet creases your scalp. In the next instant you feel a tremendous jolt as your roadster hits the rifleman and sends his broken body spinning through the air. You brace yourself against the wheel, but Kate is thrown forwards against the dashboard and gashes her forehead. At first you fear that she is badly injured, but she recovers quickly and, using dressings from her Medi-kit, she attends selflessly to your head wound before treating her own. As a result of her prompt treatment, you do not lose any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
855       <choice idref="sect179"><link-text>Turn to 179</link-text>.</choice>
856      </data>
857     </section>
858
859     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
860      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
861
862      <data>
863       <p>As you unsling your rifle you glance at the breach, taking note of the red tag which indicates that a round is chambered ready to fire. Then swiftly you raise the gun to your shoulder, flick the safety, and take aim at the leading dog. You fire as it leaps and your bullet passes clean through its body, killing it instantly and wounding another in the pack behind.</p>
864       <p>Remember to deduct a round of 7.62mm ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
865
866       <illustration class="inline">
867        <meta>
868         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
869        </meta>
870        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
871        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
872        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
873       </illustration>
874
875       <choice idref="sect190">If you wish to fire a second round at these rabid dogs and are able to do so, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
876       <choice idref="sect64">If you have run out of ammunition, or if you choose not to fire a second round, <link-text>turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
877      </data>
878     </section>
879
880     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
881      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
882
883      <data>
884       <p>With your back bent beneath the combined weight of your equipment, fifty pounds of salt, and the thick roll of polythene sheeting that is slung around your shoulders, you slowly make your way back to the convoy. The sight of you staggering out of the campus, half-hidden beneath the mountain of items you have salvaged, provokes a loud roar of laughter from the bus. Cutter Jacks and Uncle Jonas come to your aid, both resisting the urge to poke fun at you. When they discover what you are carrying, their mouths drop open in amazement.</p>
885       <p>Word spreads and everyone is suddenly eager to congratulate you. You decide to keep one of the tubs (mark the <item>Salt</item> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item<ch.emdash/>if you already carry the maximum number, you must discard another item in favour of this one). As soon as all your precious discoveries are loaded safely on the bus, you climb back into your roadster and lead the convoy along the southbound carriageway of Interstate 35.</p>
886       <choice idref="sect22"><link-text>Turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
887      </data>
888     </section>
889
890     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
891      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
892
893      <data>
894       <p>The billowing smoke threatens to suffocate you before you have a chance to break free. Frantically you pull at the ropes until they give; then you stagger out of the smoke, coughing and retching violently: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
895       <p>No sooner have you recovered from the effects of the smoke than you are faced with another peril. An Indian clansman is running at you, holding a wide-bladed machete above his head. With a scream, he leaps forwards and takes a swipe at your neck.</p>
896       <illustration class="float">
897        <meta>
898         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
899         <description>An Indian clansman is running at you, holding a wide-bladed machete above his head.</description>
900        </meta>
901        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="589"  mime-type="image/png"/>
902        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="589"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
903        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="589" />
904       </illustration>
905       <combat><enemy>Choctaw</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">28</enemy-attribute></combat>
906       <choice idref="sect228">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
907      </data>
908     </section>
909
910     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
911      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
912
913      <data>
914       <p>You stoop to pick up one of the spent cartridges, an empty 7.62mm casing. As you are inspecting it, a heavy weight lands on your back, forcing you to your knees: you have been smothered by a large rope net thrown from the roof of the sheriff<ch.apos/>s office.</p>
915       <p>The silence is shattered by a riot of noise as a dozen screaming clansmen surround your struggling form. Grasping hands snatch your weapons (erase all your missile and close combat weapons from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) before they drag you<ch.emdash/>still ensnared in the net<ch.emdash/>through the entrance doors and along a narrow corridor. At the far end of the corridor, a pair of evil-smelling clansmen pull you out of the net and throw you head-first into an empty cell. As the heavy iron door clangs shut, you stagger wearily to your feet and survey your spartan surroundings.</p>
916       <choice idref="sect346">If you possess either a <item>File</item> or a <item>Flexible Saw</item>, <link-text>turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
917       <choice idref="sect294">If you possess neither of these items, <link-text>turn to 294</link-text>.</choice>
918      </data>
919     </section>
920
921     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
922      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
923
924      <data>
925       <p>You glance over your left shoulder to see the biker hauling himself into a crouching position in readiness to leap into the seat beside you. Quickly you reach for your Hunting Knife and prepare to receive his attack.</p>
926       <combat><enemy>Bronx</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">26</enemy-attribute></combat>
927       <p>Owing to your need to remain in control of the roadster throughout the combat, reduce your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 3 points.</p>
928       <choice idref="sect187">If you win and the fight lasts four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 187</link-text>.</choice>
929       <choice idref="sect230">If you win the fight in five rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
930      </data>
931     </section>
932
933     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
934      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
935
936      <data>
937       <p>Cutter and Kate leave the bus and come forward to find out what is wrong. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m not sure I like the look of this place,</quote> you say, pointing along the road towards Coahoma.</p>
938       <p>Cutter produces a pair of binoculars from a leather case slung over his shoulder, and presses them to his eyes. <quote>Your senses are servin<ch.apos/> you right, Cal,</quote> he says, quietly, as he scans the town. <quote>Here, take a look at this.</quote></p>
939       <p>You take the glasses and, when you focus on the town, you can see over twenty motorcycles parked along the highway. The riders are looting the stores and houses nearby, and much of what they have found lies heaped beside their machines. Suddenly a pinpoint of light climbs into the sky and explodes with a brilliant white flash that illuminates the surrounding landscape. <quote>What do you make of that?</quote> you say, uneasily.</p>
940       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s a signal flare,</quote> replies Kate. <quote>I think they know we<ch.apos/>re here.</quote></p>
941       <choice idref="sect170"><link-text>Turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
942      </data>
943     </section>
944
945     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
946      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
947
948      <data>
949       <p>The scratches that cover the walls of the trench indicate that it was excavated entirely by hand. You scan the surrounding landscape, hoping to find some clue as to the identity of the person who dug the trench. Almost immediately you notice a group advancing towards you from the north. Slowly you increase the magnification until the figures become clear: two scrawny-looking men are leading a pack of five Alsatian hounds in your direction.</p>
950       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 equals zero).</p>
951       <choice idref="sect232">If the number you have picked is less than or equal to your current Perception skill level, <link-text>turn to 232</link-text>.</choice>
952       <choice idref="sect309">If it is greater than your current Perception skill level, <link-text>turn to 309</link-text>.</choice>
953      </data>
954     </section>
955
956     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
957      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
958
959      <data>
960       <p>A deafening roar fills the bar as both barrels of a Browning Citori GII shotgun are discharged almost simultaneously. The heavy loads rip through the front of the counter and hit you in the side, spinning your body with the numbing force of their impact, and dislodging most of the rickety shelves that line the wall. The last thing you see, as darkness descends, is a jumble of bottles and glasses cascading towards your face.</p>
961       <deadend>Your life and your journey end here in Cross Plains.</deadend>
962      </data>
963     </section>
964
965     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
966      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
967
968      <data>
969       <p>As you cruise along the deserted freeway you glance frequently to the north, on the lookout for a dust cloud that would herald the arrival of the Detroit Lions. But no matter how hard you try to concentrate on your role as convoy scout, you cannot seem to think of anything but your growing affection for Kate. An hour later, as you reach Colorado City, your romantic daydreaming is brought to an abrupt end as a serious problem looms into view.</p>
970
971       <illustration class="inline">
972        <meta>
973         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
974        </meta>
975        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
976        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
977        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
978       </illustration>
979
980       <p>The apex of the bridge that carries Interstate 20 across the Colorado River has collapsed, leaving a gap nearly eight feet wide. You stop the convoy and Cutter examines the damage. He returns to report that the bridge is not beyond repair. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s gonna take at least three hours, maybe four, to rig a ramp across that gap strong enough to support the tanker,</quote> he says, squinting at the bridge.</p>
981       <p>At length it is decided that you should scout along the river for another place to cross, while the colony sets to work building a ramp. Then, if your search proves fruitless, at least the repair of the bridge will be well underway.</p>
982       <choice idref="sect161">If you wish to scout along the river to the north, <link-text>turn to 161</link-text>.</choice>
983       <choice idref="sect319">If you decide to scout along the river to the south, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
984      </data>
985     </section>
986
987     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
988      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
989
990      <data>
991       <p><quote>You may not need these, but have <ch.apos/>em anyway,</quote> says Kate, holding out two 12-gauge cartridges.</p>
992       <p><quote>Every little bit helps,</quote> you reply, gratefully, as you take them from her hand (remember to note these on your Ammo Pouch). You press the shells into your gun<ch.apos/>s magazine and chance another look over the edge of the slope to fix the enemy<ch.apos/>s position in your mind.</p>
993       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ll go left,</quote> whispers Cutter.</p>
994       <p><quote>Whenever you<ch.apos/>re ready,</quote> you reply, and tense your body in preparation for the run.</p>
995       <choice idref="sect177"><link-text>Turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
996      </data>
997     </section>
998
999     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1000      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1001
1002      <data>
1003       <p>A 1960s Thunderbird convertible, its bodywork and chrome gleaming as if it were only a day old, glides towards you like something out of a dream. Behind the driver stands a tall figure with dark, hungry eyes. He is dressed as an Indian chief, with a lamella breastplate and a magnificent head-dress of eagle feathers which frames his stern face. The car draws to a halt and proudly the chief addresses the crowd that kneels before him.</p>
1004       <p><quote>We of the Nanoc are the chosen ones,</quote> he cries, his words drawing the reply <quote>be it so</quote> from his clan. <quote>By the strength of our faith have we been spared the great wrath of Hastsezini, god of fire. Now, the time has come for us to reclaim the land of our forefathers. I, Chief Drawoher, call upon Heng, the Thunder Spirit, to bring rains to quench the thirsty earth.</quote></p>
1005       <p>On hearing his words, several of the clan get to their feet and begin to dance around the totem, chanting as they raise their faces to the sky. <quote>This night Heng will hear our call,</quote> says the chief, excitedly. Then he points at you with his tomahawk and utters the chilling words. <quote>This night shall we offer this soul as sacrifice to the spirit of thunder.</quote></p>
1006       <choice idref="sect239"><link-text>Turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
1007      </data>
1008     </section>
1009
1010     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1011      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1012
1013      <data>
1014       <p>Inside, the colony is huddled on the ground with their hands over their heads, waiting for the bridge to blow. A few seconds after you enter the church and take cover next to Kate, there is a tremendous flash, followed almost immediately by a deafening roar like a violent earthquake that shakes the walls and floor. Dust and debris fall from the rafters but miraculously no one is injured, and when finally the tremors cease and you go outside to survey the scene, all you can see is a vast cloud of dust hanging over the place where the Colorado City bridge once spanned the river.</p>
1015       <choice idref="sect231"><link-text>Turn to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1016      </data>
1017     </section>
1018
1019     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1020      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1021
1022      <data>
1023       <p>You cradle your rifle in your left hand and, with your right, you work a round into the chamber. The moving shadow of your enemy half fills the window as you raise your weapon, flick back the safety catch, and take aim at his chest.</p>
1024
1025       <illustration class="inline">
1026        <meta>
1027         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1028        </meta>
1029        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1030        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1031        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1032       </illustration>
1033
1034       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
1035       <choice idref="sect275">If the total is now 0<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
1036       <choice idref="sect180">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
1037      </data>
1038     </section>
1039
1040     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1041      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1042
1043      <data>
1044       <p>You scream at your people to get away from the window as hurriedly you load, raise, and then aim your rifle at the rider<ch.apos/>s chest.</p>
1045
1046       <illustration class="inline">
1047        <meta>
1048         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1049        </meta>
1050        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1051        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1052        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1053       </illustration>
1054
1055       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting skill total.</p>
1056       <choice idref="sect340">If your total score is 13 or less, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1057       <choice idref="sect302">If your total score is 14 or more, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
1058      </data>
1059     </section>
1060
1061     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1062      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1063
1064      <data>
1065       <p>The road to Cross Plains is virtually free of the craters and other hazards that have plagued your journey so far, enabling you to drive at speed at last. You are glad of the cooling breeze but you cannot shake off your presentiment that danger awaits you in Cross Plains. Tyre tracks in the dust, some no more than a few days old, indicate that this highway is used by other four-wheeled vehicles.</p>
1066       <p>When the town appears in the distance, caution prompts you to stop your car at a derelict gas station. You park it under cover, inside an empty repair shop at the rear of the building, and then venture into Cross Plains on foot.</p>
1067       <p>Tyre tracks zigzag the main street, but you can see no sign of the vehicles that made them. The place itself appears deserted and unremarkable, yet your mind warns you to stay alert. At a junction near the centre of the town you notice something unusual: a tall wooden pole, carved and painted in the fashion of an old Comanche totem, has been erected in the middle of the street.</p>
1068       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, and add to it your current Stealth and Perception skill totals.</p>
1069       <choice idref="sect300">If your total score is now 12 or less, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1070       <choice idref="sect209">If your total score is now 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
1071      </data>
1072     </section>
1073
1074     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1075      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1076
1077      <data>
1078       <p>You take hold of the crate, ready to wrench it open but, to your surprise, the wood is infested with dry rot and crumbles to dust under the slightest pressure. You strip away the flaky timbers to discover hundreds of square plastic tubs, held together by a sheet of clear polythene<ch.emdash/>just what your uncle wanted! Using your hunting knife, carefully you lay open the sheet, peeling it away from the tubs, and rolling it up for future use.</p>
1079       <p>On the tubs themselves are blue and white labels that display the letters: N<ch.thinspace/>a<ch.thinspace/>C<ch.thinspace/>l.</p>
1080       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Perception skill total.</p>
1081       <choice idref="sect240">If the total is now 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 240</link-text>.</choice>
1082       <choice idref="sect4">If it is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 4</link-text>.</choice>
1083      </data>
1084     </section>
1085
1086     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1087      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1088
1089      <data>
1090       <p>With trembling hands, you rip open your Medi-kit and inspect the vaccines and serums that you are carrying. To your relief you discover that one of your kits contains an ampoule of Dysalomine, a synthetic anti-rabies vaccine. Quickly you break open the sealed top and expose the sterile tip of the hypodermic syringe that is fitted to the ampoule. Then you inject the half cubic inch of life-saving vaccine into your forearm.</p>
1091       <p>Remember to erase one Medi-kit unit from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
1092       <choice idref="sect90"><link-text>Turn to 90</link-text>.</choice>
1093      </data>
1094     </section>
1095
1096     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1097      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1098
1099      <data>
1100       <p>A wave of relief washes over you when you discover that there is an ampoule of snake bite serum in your Medi-kit. Quickly you administer the injection and the pain slowly subsides (remember to erase one unit from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>). As the serum takes effect, it makes you nauseous, causing you to retch violently: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Eventually these side effects disappear, but they leave you shaky and dehydrated.</p>
1101       <p>You must now take two Drinks (or lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) before you climb back into your roadster and return to the convoy.</p>
1102       <choice idref="sect185"><link-text>Turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
1103      </data>
1104     </section>
1105
1106     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1107      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1108
1109      <data>
1110       <p>You arrive at a ridge of high ground that overlooks the ruins of Denton. The place is familiar<ch.emdash/>you have stopped here many times over the past few months during your routine patrols of the area, to check that the town was not being used as a base by the gangs who were raiding McKinney. Although you cannot see anything out of the ordinary, you sense that something is wrong, that there is a hidden danger lurking in Denton. Your skin prickles at the thought of investigating the ruins lest your suspicions prove correct, but, on the other hand, the convoy must reach the freeway. You consider your options carefully.</p>
1111       <choice idref="sect339">If you possess some <item>Binoculars</item>, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
1112       <choice idref="sect198">If you wish to return to the convoy and tell them to avoid Denton, <link-text>turn to 198</link-text>.</choice>
1113       <choice idref="sect298">If you decide to ignore your fears and investigate the ruins, <link-text>turn to 298</link-text>.</choice>
1114      </data>
1115     </section>
1116
1117     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1118      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1119
1120      <data>
1121       <p>You try to throw yourself to the ground but before you reach it you are hit in the side and spun out into the open. A starburst of pain explodes in your head and the taste of blood fills your mouth. You have been hit in the face by a tracer shell and death is virtually instantaneous.</p>
1122       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here at Colorado City.</deadend>
1123      </data>
1124     </section>
1125
1126     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1127      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1128
1129      <data>
1130       <p>Consciousness returns slowly and painfully. With your head pounding fit to burst, you ease yourself into a sitting position and gaze upon your new surroundings. You are in a prison cell, empty save for a wooden bunk. A solitary open window, criss-crossed with pitted steel bars, provides the only source of light and ventilation, and a heavy steel door the only means of access. You no longer possess any weapons or backpack equipment (be sure to erase all your missile and close combat weapons, together with any items you were carrying in your Backpack) but you still possess your Medi-kit, Ammo Pouch, and Water Canteen.</p>
1131       <p>Standing on the edge of the bunk, you are able to peer through the bars at an alleyway that runs along the rear of the building, which you recognize to be the sheriff<ch.apos/>s office. However, without weapons, or any other means of dislodging the bars, you have no hope of escaping through the window.</p>
1132       <p>An hour later you hear your captors laughing in the corridor outside. A key rattles in the lock and the cell door swings back to reveal a barrel-chested clansman, clad in a suit of black leather which is adorned with sharpened metal studs. He fixes you with his small bloodshot eyes and sneers contemptuously.</p>
1133       <illustration class="float">
1134        <meta>
1135         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1136         <description>The cell door swings back to reveal a barrel-chested clansman.</description>
1137        </meta>
1138        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="590"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1139        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="590"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1140        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="590" />
1141       </illustration>
1142       <p><quote>You scoutin<ch.apos/> for the Skulls, ain<ch.apos/>t you, boy?</quote> he says, his hand caressing the butt of a pistol that is holstered on his hip. <quote>That <ch.apos/>roach Alcatraz sent you here t<ch.apos/>check us out, didn<ch.apos/>t he?</quote> Resentful mutterings fill the corridor outside, urging the beady-eyed clansman to settle the matter by shooting you.</p>
1143       <p><quote>Do I look like a Skull?</quote> you ask defensively.</p>
1144       <p><quote>Maybe not,</quote> he growls, <quote>but if you ain<ch.apos/>t a Skull, what are you doing nosin<ch.apos/> around Albany?</quote></p>
1145       <p>Choosing your words with care, you manage to convince the clansman and his cohorts that you are a loner, desperately short of food and water, who ran across the town by chance and decided to enter in search of supplies. The clansman, who calls himself Manhattan, seems impressed by your story and invites you to join his gang, who are known as the <quote>Kickers</quote>. You have little option but to accept his invitation in the hope that once you are released from the cell you will be able to escape.</p>
1146       <p><quote>Good!</quote> snarls Manhattan. He informs his men of your decision and orders them to make preparations for <quote>the Rite</quote>. When you ask what <quote>the Rite</quote> is, he narrows his eyes and sniggers. <quote>You must earn the right to become a Kicker,</quote> he explains, grimly. <quote>You must prove to us that you are worthy.</quote></p>
1147       <choice idref="sect337"><link-text>Turn to 337</link-text>.</choice>
1148      </data>
1149     </section>
1150
1151     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1152      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1153
1154      <data>
1155       <p>The biker beats you to the draw. His shot hits you in the left shoulder, passing clean through and knocking you flat on your back with the force of its impact: lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1156       <p>You struggle to reach your shotgun and return fire, but before you can squeeze the trigger, a shot from the slope fells your assailant. The others rush quickly to your aid and tend to your wound with supplies brought from the bus. Your shoulder aches viciously, but no bones are broken and, as soon as you are bandaged, you go to help the others search the bodies of the three dead bikers.</p>
1157       <choice idref="sect216"><link-text>Turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
1158      </data>
1159     </section>
1160
1161     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1162      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1163
1164      <data>
1165       <p>Your return is met with great relief and joy that Maria is safe. Juan and Rosita<ch.emdash/>Maria<ch.apos/>s parents<ch.emdash/>cannot thank you enough for finding their child, and the others, especially your uncle and aunt, heap you with praise. After the excitement has abated you venture out into the storm once more, this time with Cutter, to retrieve food and other vital supplies from the bus.</p>
1166       <p><quote>This is one heck of a blue norther,</quote> he says, as you climb aboard the bus. <quote>Reckon it could hold us here for a day or two before it blows itself out.</quote></p>
1167       <p><quote>I sure hope you<ch.apos/>re wrong,</quote> you reply, as you prise open the floor hatch that gives access to the luggage hold from inside the bus. <quote>Take a look at this.</quote> A fetid smell rises from the compartment, the smell of rotten food.</p>
1168       <p><quote>Dadburn it! That<ch.apos/>s all we need right now!</quote> exclaims Cutter, as he examines the swollen food parcels at arm<ch.apos/>s length. <quote>The heat<ch.apos/>s put paid to these rations. Now we<ch.apos/>re really in for a hard time.</quote></p>
1169       <p>The colony reacts to the news of the spoiled food with silent disbelief. What little that can be saved is carefully shared out, but it amounts to barely a day<ch.apos/>s ration per person. <quote>If we don<ch.apos/>t find some food to replace what we<ch.apos/>ve lost,</quote> says Aunt Betty-Ann, as she distributes the last of the stone-hard bread, <quote>it<ch.apos/>ll be a convoy of skeletons that drives into Big Spring.</quote></p>
1170       <p><quote>Well, at least we<ch.apos/>ve got enough water,</quote> replies Pop Ewell. <quote>We can live for three weeks without food, but we<ch.apos/>d all be dead in three days without water.</quote></p>
1171       <p>Some people save their ration but you decide to eat yours before finally settling down to sleep (if you currently have food in your Backpack you must now erase it; all food, including personal supply, was pooled before distribution).</p>
1172       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
1173      </data>
1174     </section>
1175
1176     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1177      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1178
1179      <data>
1180       <p>Quietly you creep around to the back of the diner and peer through the cracked window of the rear door. Two men are kneeling on either side of the open front doorway, their eyes fixed on your car. Carefully you test the handle of the door: it is unlocked.</p>
1181       <choice idref="sect130">If you possess a missile weapon, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
1182       <choice idref="sect212">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not have sufficient ammunition to use it, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
1183      </data>
1184     </section>
1185
1186     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1187      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1188
1189      <data>
1190       <p>You fight to control your car but you are powerless to prevent it from crashing through the parapet of the bridge. The shock of the impact, when it hits the surface of the lake thirty feet below, renders you unconscious. Slowly the toxic waters of Lake Worth fill your lungs and, painlessly, you drown.</p>
1191       <deadend>Tragically, your life and your journey end here.</deadend>
1192      </data>
1193     </section>
1194
1195     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1196      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1197
1198      <data>
1199       <p>You are ten yards from your car when you hear a sound that makes you freeze in your tracks: it is the distinctive warning of a diamondback rattlesnake.</p>
1200       <p>The snake is close to your left foot, its wide-headed body perfectly camouflaged by the surrounding rocks. Slowly it uncoils itself and bares its venomous fangs.</p>
1201       <choice idref="sect112">If you have a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 112</link-text>.</choice>
1202       <choice idref="sect25">If you wish to draw a close combat weapon to meet an attack by the snake, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1203       <choice idref="sect226">If you decide to back away from the snake as slowly as you can, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
1204      </data>
1205     </section>
1206
1207     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1208      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1209
1210      <data>
1211       <p>All six bullets catch your enemy as he turns, hitting him in the side and lifting him into the air with the force of their deadly impact. He disappears from sight, and you hear him crash down upon the broken glass that carpets the floor of the drugstore.</p>
1212       <p>Remember to erase six 9mm rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
1213       <choice idref="sect251">To continue, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
1214      </data>
1215     </section>
1216
1217     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1218      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1219
1220      <data>
1221       <p>It is nearly dusk when the clansmen and their chief reappear. Slowly the shiny Thunderbird drives towards you, positioned at the head of a torchlit procession of men and women dressed in strange, ceremonial robes. Chief Drawoher brings the line to a halt before the totem and calls for silence. Then he extols the virtues of Heng, the Thunder Spirit, and asks that he grant their request for rain. The clansmen form a wide circle around you and, as their leader steps forwards, they chant loudly and hypnotically.</p>
1222       <p>With a glint of madness in his eyes, the chief unsheathes the sacrificial dagger, a blade carved from the bone of a buffalo, and holds it above his head. <quote>You die so that the land may live!</quote> he screams, his voice barely audible above the drone of his followers. In desperation, you remove your free hand from behind your back and attempt to grab his wrist as he brings the dagger down towards your heart.</p>
1223       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Field Craft and Stealth skill totals.</p>
1224       <choice idref="sect241">If your total score is now 13 or less, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1225       <choice idref="sect256">If it is 14 or more, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1226      </data>
1227     </section>
1228
1229     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1230      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1231
1232      <data>
1233       <p>Painfully you drag yourself to your feet. You wait until the footfalls of the patrol have passed out of earshot and then venture out into the park once more. You manage to avoid another patrol before escaping from the amusement park and meeting up with Cutter at the truck depot. You are both relieved to discover that the place is empty and unguarded, and quickly you make your way to the stores building. You find the records office, but without electricity you cannot access the computer files to pinpoint the exact location of the spare you need. With horror you realize that in order to find a new steering linkage you will have to search every one of the 1,600 storage bays that occupy the building.</p>
1234       <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>ll be here forever if we have to search the shelves,</quote> you whisper.</p>
1235       <p><quote>I guess you<ch.apos/>re right,</quote> replies Cutter, <quote>but I think I know a quicker way of finding what we need. Follow me.</quote></p>
1236       <p>Intrigued by Cutter<ch.apos/>s reply, you follow him out of the stores building, across a parking lot, and into another section of the depot that is marked:</p>
1237       <signpost>Zone 3: Municipal Vehicle Servicing</signpost>
1238       <p>After searching four of the dozen service bays, finally he discovers what he is looking for: a school bus. <quote>Cal, you keep y<ch.apos/>eyes open while I strip the linkage out o<ch.apos/> this baby. Give me an hour an<ch.apos/> we<ch.apos/>ll be on our way.</quote></p>
1239       <p>Nervously you stand guard at the door to the service bay while Cutter works. All is quiet until, forty minutes later, you see something moving among the vehicles on the far side of the parking lot: it is a drunken clansman. Slowly he staggers nearer, taking alternate gulps from bottles clutched in either hand. He is about to pass by when Cutter drops a spanner. The ringing noise pierces his drunken stupor and prompts him to investigate.</p>
1240       <p><quote>Trouble on its way!</quote> you whisper to Cutter, but your warning is too late. The clansman comes lumbering through the open door, brandishing his bottles like clubs. He sees you and screams an oath as he gets ready to launch his attack.</p>
1241       <combat><enemy>Chickamauga</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">28</enemy-attribute></combat>
1242       <choice idref="sect249">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
1243      </data>
1244     </section>
1245
1246     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1247      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1248
1249      <data>
1250       <p>There is another burst of fire, and the bullets whistle over your head as you run the last few yards to cover. Kate is in front of you. She dives, and you see her land safely behind the rocks just moments before you make your leap. The jagged stones skin your hands and knees, but your fear blocks out the pain, making you concentrate on finding a way out of the ambush.</p>
1251       <p>Carefully, you raise your head and peer through the foliage. One of the clansmen is beginning to move around the edge of the hollow, while his partner kneels and waits to give covering fire. Your fear turns to indignation when you realize that he is going after your car.</p>
1252       <choice idref="sect193">If you possess a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 193</link-text>.</choice>
1253       <choice idref="sect195">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1254      </data>
1255     </section>
1256
1257     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1258      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1259
1260      <data>
1261       <p>As the rumbling sound of your gunfire rolls out across the lake bed, the figure throws his hands to his face, staggers drunkenly, and then falls heavily to the ground. His body remains still, convincing you that your shooting has proved deadly accurate.</p>
1262       <p>Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
1263       <choice idref="sect303">If you wish to search the body, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
1264       <choice idref="sect160">If you decide to press on with the crossing, <link-text>turn to 160</link-text>.</choice>
1265      </data>
1266     </section>
1267
1268     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1269      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1270
1271      <data>
1272       <p>You slip the extinguisher out of your pack and point its hose at the base of the fire. The trigger releases a stream of foam that quickly smothers the oily flames and brings the fire to an abrupt end.</p>
1273       <choice idref="sect188"><link-text>Turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1274      </data>
1275     </section>
1276
1277     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1278      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1279
1280      <data>
1281       <p>You wait until Cutter reaches the safety of the alley before you set off towards the amusement park. Silently, like a cat, you pad across the open ground, before gaining entry to the park itself by wriggling under its rusty chain-link fence. The deserted rides look strange and scary in the moonlight. The shapes play tricks on your imagination, and when a patrol of Skull clansmen suddenly appears at the entrance to the park, you panic and dive for cover through the nearest doorway.</p>
1282       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Stealth and Perception skill totals.</p>
1283       <choice idref="sect331">If your total score is now 12 or less, <link-text>turn to 331</link-text>.</choice>
1284       <choice idref="sect218">If your total score is now 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
1285      </data>
1286     </section>
1287
1288     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1289      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1290
1291      <data>
1292       <p>It is dusk before you are able to escape from Albany under cover of the failing light. With relief you discover that your roadster is still parked at the farm where you left it, and quickly you climb in and accelerate away.</p>
1293       <p>When you reach Moran you find that the convoy is awaiting your return with trepidation. Because you are so long overdue, they feared that you had fallen foul of Mad Dog Michigan and his bikers. You tell them what happened to you in Albany, and everyone agrees that, with darkness less than an hour away, it is too dangerous to continue.</p>
1294       <p>The night in Moran passes uneventfully and at first light the convoy sets off cross-country towards Abilene. The arid, stony bed of Hubbard Creek leads the convoy southwest, back towards Interstate 20. Shortly after midday you reach the freeway from which you can see the outskirts of Abilene less than five miles distant.</p>
1295       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1296      </data>
1297     </section>
1298
1299     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1300      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1301
1302      <data>
1303       <p>Over an ounce of lead shot hits the clansman in the chest, bringing him crashing to the ground. (Remember to deduct a round of 12-gauge ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.) As he disappears from sight, his partner unleashes a long burst of automatic fire that powders the scree above and behind you. When the firing stops, you raise your head and peer through the bushes, expecting to see your enemy reloading. Instead he discards his empty magazine and turns to run away. He has exhausted his ammunition and has decided to make his escape before you have a chance to return fire.</p>
1304       <p>As soon as you are sure that the coast is clear, you rise cautiously and then help Kate to her feet. The sound of a motorcycle riding away into the distance reassures you that your ambusher has fled, and confidently you scramble up the slope and go to examine the body of the one who did not get away.</p>
1305       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
1306      </data>
1307     </section>
1308
1309     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1310      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1311
1312      <data>
1313       <p>As you pull yourself free from beneath Copperhead<ch.apos/>s body, the Flick Knife (2) drops from his lifeless hand. (If you decide to keep this weapon, remember to mark it on your <a idref="action">Weapons List</a>.)</p>
1314       <p>Another burst of fire echoes from across the street, and once more Long Jake urges you to take cover in the store. With your pulse racing, you jump to your feet and sprint, head down, towards the darkened doorway.</p>
1315       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Stealth skill total.</p>
1316       <choice idref="sect18">If the total is now 5 or less, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1317       <choice idref="sect329">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
1318      </data>
1319     </section>
1320
1321     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1322      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1323
1324      <data>
1325       <p>The dogs rush towards you, undaunted by your valiant attempts to stop them. As one pounces at your chest, you grab a close combat weapon and prepare to defend yourself as best you can.</p>
1326       <combat><enemy>Rabid Dog</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">12</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
1327       <choice idref="sect113">If you win and the fight lasts three rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
1328       <choice idref="sect291">If you win the fight in four rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
1329      </data>
1330     </section>
1331
1332     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1333      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1334
1335      <data>
1336       <p>A bullet clips the flesh above your left elbow and spins you to the ground: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. You clutch your injured arm to feel warm blood oozing through your fingers as you crawl along the ground towards your car. A second shot passes over your head and you notice the muzzle flash of the sniper<ch.apos/>s gun; he is hiding in the doorway of a diner on the other side of the highway. Two motorcycles are parked at the side of the building indicating that he is not alone.</p>
1337       <choice idref="sect116">If you possess a <item>CB Radio</item>, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1338       <choice idref="sect99">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
1339      </data>
1340     </section>
1341
1342     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1343      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1344
1345      <data>
1346       <p>The only items you find of practical value are a <item>Fire Extinguisher</item> and a first aid box. The box contains dressings and antiseptics sufficient for two Medi-kit units.</p>
1347       <p>If you choose to keep either of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1348       <choice idref="sect284"><link-text>Turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
1349      </data>
1350     </section>
1351
1352     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1353      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1354
1355      <data>
1356       <p>The voice seems to be drifting from the east, so you change direction and head towards it. After a few minutes there is a lull in the storm and, as the dust settles, you are able to see the ruins of a candy store standing close to the school<ch.apos/>s perimeter fence. Once more you call out her name and a voice replies, faintly, <quote>Help me<ch.ellips/>I<ch.apos/>m in here.</quote></p>
1357       <choice idref="sect341">If your current Perception skill total is 4 or less <link-text>turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
1358       <choice idref="sect154">If it is 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 154</link-text>.</choice>
1359      </data>
1360     </section>
1361
1362     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1363      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1364
1365      <data>
1366       <p>You relay the message to the others and they begin to laugh. <quote>I think the heat<ch.apos/>s finally got to you, Cal!</quote> jokes Hammer Harlan. <quote>Here, let me listen to those <ch.apos/>phones. Ain<ch.apos/>t nothin<ch.apos/> wrong with my hearin<ch.apos/>.</quote> You pass him the headphones, but before he has had a chance to put them on, the insect-like sound of a small engine draws all eyes to the west.</p>
1367       <p><quote>Well, I<ch.apos/>ll be<ch.ellips/>!</quote> mutters Hammer, scarcely able to believe his eyes. High in the azure sky you see a tin flying machine with fragile, bat-shaped wings. Spellbound, the colony watches as the plane circles above the town and comes in to land on the stretch of freeway that approaches the bridge. Slowly the pilot extricates himself from the tiny, motorized hang glider, and gives a friendly wave as he strides towards the group.</p>
1368       <illustration class="float">
1369        <meta>
1370         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1371         <description><quote>The name<ch.apos/>s Rickenbacker,</quote> he says, removing his goggles and shaking Uncle Jonas by the hand.</description>
1372        </meta>
1373        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="588"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1374        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="588"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1375        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="588" />
1376       </illustration>
1377       <p><quote>The name<ch.apos/>s Rickenbacker,</quote> he says, removing his goggles and shaking Uncle Jonas by the hand. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m from Big Spring. I saw y<ch.apos/>all while I was scoutin<ch.apos/> the freeway and thought I<ch.apos/>d drop by. Shame about the radio: <ch.apos/>fraid my set<ch.apos/>s seen better days.</quote></p>
1378       <p>Rickenbacker warns the colony that a large group of clansmen is riding towards the town from the east. They are less than five miles distant and closing fast. He also tells you about another gang of bikers, a clan called the <quote>Mavericks</quote>, who have been the bane of the Big Spring colony for the last six months. They control the city of Lubbock, 100 miles to the north, and their raiding parties are in the area foraging for food. <quote>I know the next thirty miles ain<ch.apos/>t gonna be easy for you folks, but there<ch.apos/>s a big welcome waitin<ch.apos/> for y<ch.apos/>all at Big Spring,</quote> he says, as he gets ready to take to the air once more. <quote>Don<ch.apos/>t delay now. We<ch.apos/>re countin<ch.apos/> on you to make it through.</quote></p>
1379       <p>As soon as he is airborne, the colony sets to work on the bridge with renewed vigour. The Lions are closer than anyone dared imagine and everyone is eager to get across the river before they show up. When Cutter announces that the bridge is safe, you drive the roadster across the platform and park it on the freeway ready for a fast getaway. The colony crosses over on foot, and Cutter drives the empty bus across the bridge. The platform creaks and shudders, but Cutter is able to cross safely to the far side. Together with Kate, the three of you return to help guide Uncle Jonas and the tanker across.</p>
1380       <p>Just as the front wheels are about to mount the platform, Kate screams a warning: <quote>The Lions are here!</quote></p>
1381       <choice idref="sect135">If you possess a missile weapon, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
1382       <choice idref="sect288">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you have exhausted your supply of ammunition, <link-text>turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
1383      </data>
1384     </section>
1385
1386     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1387      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1388
1389      <data>
1390       <p>A rush of adrenalin sharpens your senses, making you super-aware of the deadly situation. You react with lightning speed, steering your car out of the path of the oncoming wreck yet avoiding the myriad other obstacles that litter the bridge and threaten to send you to your doom. With consummate ease you overcome these dangers and resume your position in line behind the tanker.</p>
1391       <choice idref="sect120"><link-text>Turn to 120</link-text>.</choice>
1392      </data>
1393     </section>
1394
1395     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1396      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1397
1398      <data>
1399       <p>You step over the dead body of your enemy and rush along the centre aisle to help defeat the other three Mavericks who are aboard. Your arrival inspires the colony, and swiftly they help you to overcome these brutal bikers.</p>
1400       <p>You are helping to carry their bodies towards the door of the bus when you notice an orange light flickering outside the rear window. You decide to take a closer look and, when you peer through the glass, you are horrified to see that one of the Mavericks is holding a Molotov cocktail<ch.emdash/>a bottle filled with an inflammable mixture of oil and gasolene<ch.emdash/>fused with a gasolene-soaked rag. The rag is burning and, as he brings his motorcycle alongside the bus, he gets ready to hurl the bottle through the window.</p>
1401       <choice idref="sect292">If you possess a missile weapon, <link-text>turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
1402       <choice idref="sect238">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not have sufficient ammunition to use it, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
1403      </data>
1404     </section>
1405
1406     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1407      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1408
1409      <data>
1410       <p>One of the men places his weapon on the floor in order to take something from his pack, and you launch your attack. You fell the unarmed man with a crushing blow to his neck; then you turn to face his partner. Unfortunately, he is armed and his gun is pointing at your chest.</p>
1411       <p>Add your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score to your Stealth skill total.</p>
1412       <choice idref="sect282">If your total score is now 14 or less, <link-text>turn to 282</link-text>.</choice>
1413       <choice idref="sect306">If your total score is now 15 or more, <link-text>turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1414      </data>
1415     </section>
1416
1417     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1418      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1419
1420      <data>
1421       <p>You flick the safety catch off and rest your shotgun across the rollbar of your roadster in order to steady your aim. At 200 yards, the figure appears little more than 1/16 inch high and, as you squeeze the trigger, you pray that your buckshot load will have enough power to reach that far.</p>
1422
1423       <illustration class="inline">
1424        <meta>
1425         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1426        </meta>
1427        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1428        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1429        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1430       </illustration>
1431
1432       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total. Now decide how many rounds you wish to fire (minimum: one round; maximum: four rounds). For every round you fire, add one point to your current score.</p>
1433       <choice idref="sect164">If your total score is now 15 or less, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1434       <choice idref="sect58">If it is 16 or more, <link-text>turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
1435      </data>
1436     </section>
1437
1438     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1439      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1440
1441      <data>
1442       <p><quote>You<ch.apos/>ll be needing one of these,</quote> says Pop Ewell, handing you a CB transceiver. <quote>It<ch.apos/>ll do no good if you find Maria but can<ch.apos/>t find your way back here.</quote> You take the handset (mark this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a <item>CB Radio</item>; if you already possess the maximum number of Backpack Items, you must discard one in favour of this item), thank him, and then join the others to decide on a search plan.</p>
1443       <choice idref="sect304"><link-text>Turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
1444      </data>
1445     </section>
1446
1447     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1448      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1449
1450      <data>
1451       <p>Before you set off for Mineral Wells, you consult with Cutter and Uncle Jonas and devise a plan of action. It is decided that after you have investigated the source of the radio transmission, you will drive south on the remains of Highway 281 and rendezvous with the others at Santo, the next town west along the freeway, where the convoy intends to make camp for the night.</p>
1452       <choice idref="sect253">If you possess a <item>CB Radio</item>, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
1453       <choice idref="sect158">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 158</link-text>.</choice>
1454      </data>
1455     </section>
1456
1457     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1458      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1459
1460      <data>
1461       <p>As you emerge from the water, you notice that your boots are covered with mud and you stop to scrape them clean. Unfortunately, you are standing directly in front of a nest of scorpions, and it is not until you are stooping to pick up a stick that you spot the danger. Swiftly you withdraw your hand just in time to save yourself from their deadly sting.</p>
1462       <p>Shaken by this close encounter, you must now take a Drink (or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) before you climb back into your roadster and return to the convoy.</p>
1463       <choice idref="sect185"><link-text>Turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
1464      </data>
1465     </section>
1466
1467     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1468      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1469
1470      <footnotes>
1471       <footnote id="sect76-1-foot" idref="sect76-1">
1472        <p>A Machine Pistol does not count as a Pistol.</p>
1473       </footnote>
1474      </footnotes>
1475
1476      <data>
1477       <p>You swerve to the left and then to the right to deter the rider from making a leap for it, but he is a brave and determined adversary. He makes his jump and lands with a crash on the trunk of your car, his outstretched hands grabbing at the rollbar to prevent himself from falling to his death. You try to dislodge him by braking heavily then accelerating away again, but still he remains glued to your car like a barnacle to a ship<ch.apos/>s hull. The other bikers yell encouragement as he pulls himself slowly towards the driving compartment.</p>
1478       <choice idref="sect287">If you possess a Pistol,<footref id="sect76-1" idref="sect76-1-foot"/> <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
1479       <choice idref="sect32">If you do not possess this missile weapon, <link-text>turn to 32</link-text>.</choice>
1480      </data>
1481     </section>
1482
1483     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1484      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1485
1486      <data>
1487       <p>At this range your bullet hits the clansman with devastating accuracy, passing through his heart and killing him instantly. (Remember to deduct a round of 7.62mm ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.) He throws his hands in the air and falls forward. As he disappears from sight, his partner unleashes a long burst of fire that powders the scree behind you. When the firing stops, you raise your head and peer through the bushes, expecting to see your enemy reloading. Instead he discards his empty magazine and turns to run away. He has exhausted his ammunition and has decided to make his escape before you have a chance to return fire.</p>
1488       <p>As soon as you are sure that the coast is clear, you rise cautiously and help Kate to her feet. The sound of a motorcycle riding away into the distance reassures you that your ambusher has fled, and confidently you scramble up the slope and go to examine the body of the one who did not get away.</p>
1489       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
1490      </data>
1491     </section>
1492
1493     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1494      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1495
1496      <data>
1497       <p>With a superhuman effort, you leap and dive across the hood of your roadster in an attempt to avoid being caught by the burst of automatic fire. Bullets follow you across the car, piercing the side and glancing noisily off the case-hardened rollbar. One of the hollow-tipped slugs creases your thigh, making you cry out loudly with the sudden pain: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1498       <p>Your scream convinces the biker that he has killed you, and he turns his attention elsewhere. You drag yourself into your car and start the engine without being seen, and swiftly you accelerate away, steering your roadster towards the tail-lights of the bus as it crashes through a group of bikers and escapes onto the freeway. A few random shots ricochet off the trunk as you follow the bus out of Santo, but within minutes you pass out of range and the gunfire ceases.</p>
1499       <choice idref="sect182"><link-text>Turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
1500      </data>
1501     </section>
1502
1503     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1504      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1505
1506      <data>
1507       <p>A searing wave of heat scorches your hands and face, forcing you to retreat from the flames. The sleeves of your jacket ignite and you suffer painful first and second degree burns before you can extinguish the fire: lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1508       <choice idref="sect219">If you are still alive after sustaining this injury, <link-text>turn to 219</link-text>.</choice>
1509      </data>
1510     </section>
1511
1512     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1513      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1514
1515      <data>
1516       <p>You are within a few feet of the top when suddenly you lose your footing and plummet once more into the gully. This time the fall proves fatal; you crash head-first into the rocky base and shatter your skull. Death is instantaneous.</p>
1517       <deadend>Your life and your journey end here.</deadend>
1518      </data>
1519     </section>
1520
1521     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1522      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1523
1524      <data>
1525       <p>The door is locked, but one swift kick is all that is needed to shatter its corroded bolt and gain entry to the warehouse. For a few seconds, as your eyes adapt to the darkness, you are blind: you have no idea of the layout of the building, and you fail to see the scar-faced clansman advancing towards you with a sharpened meat hook in his hand. Only the sound of glass breaking beneath his feet alerts you to his presence and saves you from his first, vicious swipe. Quickly you recover and reach for a close combat weapon as he makes his second attack.</p>
1526       <combat><enemy>Trans-am</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
1527
1528       <choice idref="sect314">If you win and the combat lasts three rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1529       <choice idref="sect192">If you win and the combat lasts four rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
1530      </data>
1531     </section>
1532
1533     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1534      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1535
1536      <data>
1537       <p><quote>OK, it<ch.apos/>s worth a look,</quote> agrees Uncle Jonas, when you tell him you want to search the university campus before the convoy takes the freeway south. <quote>See if you can rustle up some polythene sheeting. We<ch.apos/>re mighty short an<ch.apos/> we<ch.apos/>ll be needin<ch.apos/> some real bad as soon as we hit the desert. We<ch.apos/>ll wait right here for you an<ch.apos/> keep an eye on the road. Any trouble then jus<ch.apos/> give a holler.</quote></p>
1538       <p>With your uncle<ch.apos/>s request in mind, you walk towards the centre of the campus in search of what was once the chemistry faculty. Most of the buildings are just burnt-out, rubble-filled shells, their contents either buried beyond reach or looted months ago by roving city gangs. A shattered sign indicates the entrance to the building you seek, and your hopes rise when you notice that it is the least damaged structure on the campus.</p>
1539       <p>Inside, the sound of your footsteps echoes along the dusty corridors as you make your way down to the basement storage levels. To your disappointment you discover little remaining there of practical value.</p>
1540       <choice idref="sect184">If you wish to continue your search, <link-text>turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
1541       <choice idref="sect315">If you decide to call off your search and return to the convoy, <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
1542      </data>
1543     </section>
1544
1545     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1546      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1547
1548      <data>
1549       <p>You dive to the ground, roll over, and then spring to your feet just in time to see the clansman casting aside his empty pistol in frustration. He shouts for help, calling to his partner to cut you down, but you are now too close for the other clansman to risk a burst of fire. With a yelp of surprise, the clansman reaches for a knife as you make your attack.</p>
1550       <combat><enemy>Electra-glide</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
1551       <p>Owing to the speed of your attack, add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight.</p>
1552       <choice idref="sect15">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
1553      </data>
1554     </section>
1555
1556     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1557      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1558
1559      <data>
1560       <p>You take a deep breath and launch yourself at the exit. However, the stripy-faced youth, whom you encountered earlier wielding a lasso, appears at the doorway, blocking your escape. He reaches for his revolver, which is tucked into his belt, but before he can point and fire, you lash out with your foot and send it spinning from his hand. He screams with pain and anger as he lunges at your throat.</p>
1561       <combat><enemy>Mosquito</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">10</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">21</enemy-attribute></combat>
1562       <choice idref="sect215">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
1563      </data>
1564     </section>
1565
1566     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1567      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1568
1569      <data>
1570       <p>It takes you a few minutes to clear the rubble away from the engine compartment, but your efforts are not in vain. Some of the engine components are still serviceable and could prove useful as spares for the colony<ch.apos/>s bus.</p>
1571       <p>Below are listed the items worth salvaging from the wreck. You may take two from the list, all of which are Backpack Items:</p>
1572       <ul>
1573        <li><item>Distributor Cap</item></li>
1574        <li><item>Condenser</item></li>
1575        <li><item>Gas Modifier</item></li>
1576        <li><item>Oil Plug</item></li>
1577        <li><item>Fan Belt</item></li>
1578        <li><item>Spark Plugs</item></li>
1579        <li><item>Solar Regulator</item></li>
1580       </ul>
1581       <p>If you decide to keep any of these spares, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1582       <choice idref="sect224">To return to the convoy, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
1583      </data>
1584     </section>
1585
1586     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1587      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1588
1589      <data>
1590       <p>From the window of a room on the second floor you watch as the mob floods out of the alley and into the street below. They divide into two groups and begin searching the adjoining streets, seemingly convinced that you are still out in the open. Silently you crouch by the window, awaiting the chance to slip out of Cross Plains unseen. While you are lying low, you must take a drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. It is dusk before you are able to escape from the town. With relief you discover that your roadster is still parked at the gas station, and quickly you climb in and accelerate away.</p>
1591       <p>When you reach Rising Star you find that the convoy is awaiting your return with trepidation. Because you are so long overdue, they feared that you had fallen foul of Mad Dog Michigan and his bikers. You tell them what happened to you in Cross Plains and everyone agrees that, with darkness almost upon you, it is too dangerous to continue.</p>
1592       <p>The night at Rising Star passes uneventfully and at first light the convoy sets off cross-country towards Abilene. The arid, stony bed of Pecan Bayou provides excellent cover from the surrounding high ground and leads the convoy northwest, back towards Interstate 20. Shortly after midday you reach the freeway, from which you can see the outskirts of Abilene less than five miles distant.</p>
1593       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1594      </data>
1595     </section>
1596
1597     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1598      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1599
1600      <data>
1601       <p>Holding your breath to steady your nerves, you stare along the barrel of your shotgun and focus your aim on the driver<ch.apos/>s crash helmet.</p>
1602
1603       <illustration class="inline">
1604        <meta>
1605         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1606        </meta>
1607        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1608        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1609        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1610       </illustration>
1611
1612       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
1613       <choice idref="sect172">If your total score is now 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1614       <choice idref="sect23">If your total score is now 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1615      </data>
1616     </section>
1617
1618     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1619      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1620
1621      <data>
1622       <p>With practised ease you cup your pistol in both hands, thumb back the safety catch, and take aim at the shadow that fills half the window frame. The machine gunner is levelling his reloaded weapon to fire again when you squeeze off your first shot.</p>
1623       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
1624       <choice idref="sect275">If the total is now 0<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
1625       <choice idref="sect9">If it is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 9</link-text>.</choice>
1626      </data>
1627     </section>
1628
1629     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1630      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1631
1632      <data>
1633       <p>The glare of a dozen motorcycle headlights follows in the wake of the convoy. The Mavericks who survived your brief but devastating visit to Coahoma are now in pursuit, and they are closing the gap swiftly. Shots are fired from the back of the bus, bringing down two of the leading bikes, but they do not prevent the others from moving alongside. Anxiously you watch in your rear-view mirror as the pillion riders risk their lives to jump aboard. The few who survive the leap without falling under the wheels gain entry by kicking their way through the windows.</p>
1634       <illustration class="float">
1635        <meta>
1636         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1637         <description>The pillion riders risk their lives to jump aboard the bus.</description>
1638        </meta>
1639        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="587"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1640        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="587"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1641        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="587" />
1642       </illustration>
1643       <p>Suddenly the bus loses speed. You sense that something is seriously amiss and you fall back to find out what is wrong. You wave the tanker on then slow almost to a standstill in order to allow Cutter to catch up. As he draws nearer you see that a running battle is taking place on board. You accelerate, bringing your roadster alongside the boarding door; then you tell Kate to move over into the driving seat and take the wheel. As soon as she has control of the car, you coil yourself like a spring and leap towards the door of the bus.</p>
1644       <p>Add your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score to your Stealth skill level, and make a note of the total in the margin of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. Now, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add it to your total.</p>
1645       <choice idref="sect10">If the total is 22 or less, <link-text>turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
1646       <choice idref="sect313">If the total is 23 or more, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
1647      </data>
1648     </section>
1649
1650     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1651      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1652
1653      <footnotes>
1654       <footnote id="sect90-1-foot" idref="sect90-1">
1655        <p>If you have no Medi-kit units, ignore the passage that describes giving dressings to the Rad-vics.</p>
1656       </footnote>
1657      </footnotes>
1658
1659      <data>
1660       <p>Slowly the two figures shamble to the edge of the highway and stare at you with vacant eyes. Your spirited dispatch of their dogs has not worried them in the slightest; neither do they appear unduly concerned for their own safety. You stand your ground, challenging them to attack if they dare. They laugh. It is a pitiful, thin sound, which makes your flesh crawl. You return their empty stares, noting with disgust the ulcer-like sores that cover their pale, greyish skins, their almost complete lack of hair, and their teeth, black with decay. Your disgust turns to pity, however, when suddenly you realize why they show no fear: they are both afflicted with terminal radiation sickness. Death is already their companion.</p>
1661       <p><quote>Where are you from?</quote> you call, anxious to discover if there is a hot spot<ch.emdash/>a zone of radioactivity<ch.emdash/>nearby.</p>
1662       <p><quote>Cisco,</quote> comes the reply.</p>
1663       <p>You take some dressings from your Medi-kit and place them on the ground in front of you (erase one Medi-kit unit from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>); then you turn and walk back to your roadster. The dressings may be of little comfort to these two Rad-vics (the name your colony gives to victims of high-dosage radioactivity), but they may know others who will benefit from them.<footref id="sect90-1" idref="sect90-1-foot"/></p>
1664       <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
1665      </data>
1666     </section>
1667
1668     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1669      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1670
1671      <data>
1672       <p>You break free and stagger out of the smoke, coughing and retching: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. With streaming eyes, you consider the two routes that offer a chance of escape. You can either run east along the main street and back towards your car, retracing the route by which you entered Cross Plains; or you can run in the opposite direction and attempt to hide in the maze of alleys that once serviced the town stores.</p>
1673       <choice idref="sect110">If you wish to run east, <link-text>turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
1674       <choice idref="sect321">If you decide to run west, <link-text>turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
1675      </data>
1676     </section>
1677
1678     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1679      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1680
1681      <data>
1682       <p>You grab a blanket and rush forward to fight the blaze. Several members of the colony follow your example and, although you suffer from burns and toxic smoke, you manage eventually to quash the flames.</p>
1683       <p>To find out the extent of the injuries you suffered whilst fighting the fire, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1684       <p>If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>3, lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If it is 4<ch.endash/>6, lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Make the necessary adjustments to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
1685       <choice idref="sect188">To continue, <link-text>turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1686      </data>
1687     </section>
1688
1689     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1690      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1691
1692      <data>
1693       <p>The colony is divided in opinion. Roughly half urges an investigation of the signal; the other half believes, like you, that it would be foolish to risk walking into an ambush on the dubious merits of such a patchy broadcast.</p>
1694       <p>A vote decides the course of action in your favour, and the convoy prepares for the next stage of its journey to Santo. You lead the way along Interstate 20 and, as you pass by the outskirts of a town called Brock, the sun dips reluctantly below the horizon. A full moon brightens the twilight and the temperature drops rapidly until you find yourself shivering in the cold night wind.</p>
1695       <illustration class="inline">
1696        <meta>
1697         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1698        </meta>
1699        <instance class="html" src="small12.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1700        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small12.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1701        <instance class="pdf" src="small12.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1702       </illustration>
1703       <p>It takes forty minutes to reach Santo, and another twenty to find a site on which to set up camp overnight. Uncle Jonas orders that the vehicles be drawn into a circle, like a ring of wagons in the Wild West, to offer the best protection against the threat of a night raid. Lots are drawn to see who will stand the first watch; unfortunately, you pick the shortest straw.</p>
1704       <p>It is an hour after midnight when you see a cluster of lights in the middle distance. They are less than a mile away to the east, and approaching at speed. With only a few minutes at most before the bikers reach the camp, you sound the alarm.</p>
1705       <p>Like a pack of screaming demons the marauding bikers descend on the convoy, shooting wildly as they weave in and out of the circle. One of the bikers guns his machine towards you, forcing you to dive aside to avoid being ridden down. You are staggering to your feet when another attacks you from behind.</p>
1706       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Stealth skill total.</p>
1707       <choice idref="sect265">If your total is now 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
1708       <choice idref="sect289">If your total is 9 or more, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
1709      </data>
1710     </section>
1711
1712     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1713      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1714
1715      <data>
1716       <p>The lake occupies the centre of a saucer-like depression and, as you bring your roadster to a halt at the edge of this rocky rim and stare down at the shimmering water below, you are heartened to see that clumps of vegetation are growing close by: a sure sign that the water is not contaminated.</p>
1717       <p>The sides of the depression are steep and covered with loose shale. Rather than risk a fall, you suggest to Kate that perhaps you should go down to the lake alone. When you reach it, she could throw the containers to you, and then help you with them when you climb back out. The idea does not impress her. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s been so long, I can<ch.apos/>t remember the last time I took a dip in some real water. I<ch.apos/>m sick a<ch.apos/> washin<ch.apos/> in sand. If you think I<ch.apos/>m gonna hang around up here while you splash about down there, you<ch.apos/>ve got another think comin<ch.apos/>, buster!</quote></p>
1718       <p>With that she grabs two of the plastic containers and lowers herself over the edge. Seconds later you hear her scream and you rush forward to see her tumbling head-over-heels towards the lake. She hits the water with a loud splash and disappears from view. Briefly she surfaces, thrashing her arms and shouting: <quote>Help, Cal! I can<ch.apos/>t swim!</quote></p>
1719       <choice idref="sect181">If you possess a <item>Rope</item>, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
1720       <choice idref="sect246">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1721      </data>
1722     </section>
1723
1724     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1725      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1726
1727      <data>
1728       <p>The tyres shriek in protest as you slam on the brakes and wrench the steering wheel hard over to the right simultaneously. The suspension shudders under the strain as the car veers away violently from the ambulance, missing the twisted shell by a few inches. Your driving skill and quick reactions have saved you from certain death.</p>
1729       <p>Quickly you recover control of your roadster and accelerate towards the distant ridge. The bikers soon lose interest in the chase and peel away to return to the town, pausing only to curse and fire a few ill-aimed shots at your back as you make your escape.</p>
1730       <choice idref="sect198"><link-text>Turn to 198</link-text>.</choice>
1731      </data>
1732     </section>
1733
1734     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1735      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1736
1737      <data>
1738       <p>Your gunfire fails to bring down the clansman, but it passes close enough to make him veer away from the edge of the slope. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.) Cursing your luck, you shoulder your weapon and turn to Kate.</p>
1739       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve got to stop him before he reaches the roadster,</quote> you say. Kate protests, but you are determined to save your car, and reluctantly she agrees to cover you as best she can with a tiny Derringer pistol that she carries in her boot.</p>
1740       <p><quote>I call it <quote>Chihuahua</quote>,</quote> she quips, as she cocks the double-hammers and gets ready to fire. <quote>It don<ch.apos/>t look much but it makes one helluva noise!</quote></p>
1741       <p>You scan the slope. When you have picked out the best place to make your climb, you break cover and zigzag along the shore towards it. Immediately, the machine gunner opens up on you. Kate replies with a single shot, and he diverts his fire back to the rocks and bushes. Swiftly you claw your way to the top of the slope and run straight at the clansman, grimly determined to intercept him before he can do any damage. He sees you approaching, draws a pistol, and empties it at your chest.</p>
1742       <p>Add your Stealth skill total to your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
1743       <choice idref="sect258">If your total is 9 or less, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
1744       <choice idref="sect83">If it is 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
1745      </data>
1746     </section>
1747
1748     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1749      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1750
1751      <footnotes>
1752       <footnote id="sect97-1-foot" idref="sect97-1">
1753        <p>If you are not carrying at least one Medi-kit unit, turn directly to <a idref="sect283">Section 283</a> without picking a number.</p>
1754       </footnote>
1755      </footnotes>
1756
1757      <data>
1758       <p>Gingerly, you examine the wounds sustained during your fight. Most were caused when you hit the hard surface of the road, but several of the cuts and scratches that criss-cross your arms were made by the teeth and claws of the dog. Fear knots your stomach as you realize that you must have been infected with the rabies virus.</p>
1759       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.<footref id="sect97-1" idref="sect97-1-foot"/></p>
1760       <choice idref="sect283">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
1761       <choice idref="sect44">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 44</link-text>.</choice>
1762      </data>
1763     </section>
1764
1765     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1766      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1767
1768      <footnotes>
1769       <footnote id="sect98-1-foot" idref="sect98-1">
1770        <p>This is the correct answer to the keypad puzzle in <a idref="sect255">Section 255</a>.</p>
1771       </footnote>
1772      </footnotes>
1773
1774      <data>
1775       <p>The moment you tap the correct number on the keypad,<footref id="sect98-1" idref="sect98-1-foot"/> there is a loud <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> and the steel door creaks inwards to reveal the shelved walls of a strongroom beyond. You smile with satisfaction at having cracked the university<ch.apos/>s door code: the number of the last column of each row is the sum of the number of the first two columns, minus the number in the third column.</p>
1776       <p>Intrigued by what lies within, you enter the strongroom and peer along the dusty shelves. The vault contains the documentation of experiments and quantities of what were once considered precious metals<ch.emdash/>gold, platinum, silver, and titanium. After a thorough search, you find three items that may be put to practical use:</p>
1777       <ul>
1778        <li><item>Geiger Counter</item></li>
1779        <li><item>Altimeter</item></li>
1780        <li><item>Radiation Suit</item> (occupies two item spaces in the Backpack)</li>
1781       </ul>
1782       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, amend your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1783       <choice idref="sect315">To leave the strongroom and return to the convoy, <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
1784
1785      </data>
1786     </section>
1787
1788     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1789      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1790
1791      <data>
1792       <p>The convoy is too far away to see that you need help, and you dare not stand up and signal to them for fear of being hit. Two more bullets smack the side of your car and then you hear the sound of a rifle bolt being worked frantically back and forth: the sniper<ch.apos/>s gun has jammed. While he is trying to clear it, you dash across the highway and take cover behind the two motorcycles. You stop there just long enough to sabotage their engines; then you advance along the side of the diner towards an open window.</p>
1793       <choice idref="sect276">If you possess an <item>HE Grenade</item>, <link-text>turn to 276</link-text>.</choice>
1794       <choice idref="sect311">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 311</link-text>.</choice>
1795      </data>
1796     </section>
1797
1798     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1799      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1800
1801      <data>
1802       <p>Much of Abilene lies in the shadow of a bank of cloud, which has darkened the land since mid-morning. At first the unexpected arrival of this cloud cover cheers the colony, for it brings with it a welcome respite from the burning heat and promises a possible end to the drought. Unfortunately, these initial hopes are soon shattered.</p>
1803       <p>As you approach the city a fierce wind arises. It sweeps down from the north and lashes the convoy, not with rain, but with blinding clouds of grit and sand. Within the space of half an hour the colony is engulfed in a ferocious duststorm that threatens to bury you all without trace. At the first opportunity you signal to the others to pull off the elevated freeway and seek shelter from the storm. The danger of grit finding its way into the engines of the convoy vehicles, causing them irreparable damage, is uppermost in your mind, and anxiously you search for shelter.</p>
1804       <p>A signpost looms out of the swirling dust, pointing to what was once a high school. You signal to Cutter to follow you into the school yard, but the storm is reaching its peak and you are forced to halt before you can see the school itself. Quickly the colony disembarks and blindly you lead them in single file, heads bowed against the stinging wind, until you reach the school building. Fortunately, it still has a roof and four walls, and offers adequate protection from the storm. Once inside, Aunt Betty-Ann decides to take a roll call to make sure everyone is present. She is about to begin when Rosita Rodriguez cries out in anguish, <quote>Maria! Where is my Maria? She is not here!</quote></p>
1805       <p>A check of the school reveals that Rosita<ch.apos/>s little six-year-old girl is missing. She was with the family when they left the bus and must still be close by, but with the storm now at its peak, everyone knows that her chances of survival outside are slim. Uncle Jonas calls for three volunteers to search for Maria, and immediately you step forward, as do Cutter and Kate.</p>
1806       <choice idref="sect304">If you possess a <item>CB Radio</item>, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
1807       <choice idref="sect73">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 73</link-text>.</choice>
1808      </data>
1809     </section>
1810
1811     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1812      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1813
1814      <data>
1815       <p>Using the rollbar of your roadster to steady your hand, you level your pistol and take aim at the distant figure. At 200 yards, your target appears little more than 1/16 inch high. It will take a great deal of skill and considerable luck to hit such a small target, using a pistol.</p>
1816       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total. Now decide how many rounds you will fire at the target (minimum: one round; maximum: six rounds). For every round you fire add one point to your current score.</p>
1817       <choice idref="sect164">If your total score is now 12 or less, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1818       <choice idref="sect58">If it is 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
1819      </data>
1820     </section>
1821
1822     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1823      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1824
1825      <data>
1826       <p>You rest the magazine of your G-12 on the side of the auto wreck and, as the enemy vehicle speeds nearer, you pull back the firing bolt and focus your aim at the driver<ch.apos/>s head.</p>
1827       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
1828       <choice idref="sect172">If your total score is now 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1829       <choice idref="sect23">If your total score is now 11 or more, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1830      </data>
1831     </section>
1832
1833     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1834      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1835
1836      <data>
1837       <p>Cutter pats you on the shoulder: it is the signal to move. Silently, like a snake, you crawl across the open ground on your stomach, inching your way nearer to the entrance of the alley, which is sandwiched between two mounds of stinking garbage. A clansman appears from the shadows and you freeze in your tracks. With bated breath you watch as he dumps a sack of rubbish onto one of the mounds before turning around and disappearing into the dark.</p>
1838       <p>By the time you reach the alley it is deserted. Cautiously you advance along it, your knife held ready just in case you are forced to silence one of the town<ch.apos/>s inhabitants. The alley ends near the centre of the mall, where the remains of a huge marble fountain lie scattered across the tiled floor. The shop-lined avenues appear empty, so you enter the mall and make your way towards the truck depot. You have just turned a corner when you see a patrol of four Skull clansmen.</p>
1839       <illustration class="float">
1840        <meta>
1841         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1842         <description>A patrol of four clansmen appears.</description>
1843        </meta>
1844        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="588"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1845        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="588"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1846        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="588" />
1847       </illustration>
1848       <p>Instantly you dive through the doorway of a store to your right and crouch in the shadows. The patrol swaggers past the store without noticing you, and soon its footfalls have passed out of earshot.</p>
1849       <choice idref="sect7">If you wish to search the store, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1850       <choice idref="sect273">If you decide to leave the store and continue, <link-text>turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
1851      </data>
1852     </section>
1853
1854     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1855      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1856
1857      <data>
1858       <p>You pull the wheel hard over to the left in the desperate hope that your move will spoil the sniper<ch.apos/>s aim. A moment later you hear the metallic whine of his bullet as it ricochets off the edge of your windshield. Tiny fragments of the high-velocity bullet pepper your neck and shoulder (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points), but the sudden pain does not cause you to lose control of your vehicle. You recover quickly and signal to the others to accelerate. By the time the unknown sniper has reloaded his rifle, you and the convoy are speeding away from the bridge, obscured by a cloud of dust.</p>
1859       <choice idref="sect150"><link-text>Turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
1860      </data>
1861     </section>
1862
1863     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1864      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1865
1866      <data>
1867       <p>You bury the bodies of the three dead bikers<ch.emdash/>along with their motorcycles<ch.emdash/>in the gully, and then take stock of your surroundings. Traces of a paved road that disappears towards the west are found, and Cutter Jacks, who lived only a few miles from Lake Lewisville before <quote>The Day</quote>, identifies it as the remains of State Highway 407.</p>
1868       <p><quote>This<ch.apos/>ll get us back on course,</quote> he says, confidently. <quote>Follow this baby and we<ch.apos/>ll make Interstate 35 in under an hour.</quote></p>
1869       <p>Twenty minutes later, you can make out Interstate 35 in the distance, its long, concrete body bleached and quaking beneath the fiery sun. The road you are following passes beneath it but, as you draw closer, you notice a ramp coiling away to your right giving access to the freeway.</p>
1870       <p>A few hundred yards beyond the ramp you see another. It leads to the ruins of a once prestigious group of buildings<ch.emdash/>the North Texas State University.</p>
1871       
1872       <illustration class="inline">
1873        <meta>
1874         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1875        </meta>
1876        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1877        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1878        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1879       </illustration>
1880       
1881       <choice idref="sect82">If you wish to search the university, <link-text>turn to 82</link-text>.</choice>
1882       <choice idref="sect22">If you decide to lead the convoy onto Interstate 35, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
1883      </data>
1884     </section>
1885
1886     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1887      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1888
1889      <data>
1890       <p>Frantically you search your Medi-kit for an ampoule of snake bite serum, but to your horror you discover that it is the one medicament that you do not possess. The pain in your leg begins to fade, to be replaced by a numbness that spreads rapidly throughout your lower body. Soon you are paralysed from the chest down and unable to drag yourself out of the blazing sun. In less than an hour you fall victim to heatstroke and lapse into an unconsciousness from which you never awaken.</p>
1891       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here at Lake Thomas.</deadend>
1892      </data>
1893     </section>
1894
1895     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1896      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1897
1898      <data>
1899       <p>Instinctively you reach for your gun as the first of the pack reaches the highway and come bounding towards you. You have encountered rabid dogs before and know only too well that just one scratch from an infected beast will seal your doom. You must shoot fast and accurately if you are to survive this encounter.</p>
1900       <choice idref="sect261">If you are using a Pistol, <link-text>turn to 261</link-text>.</choice>
1901       <choice idref="sect320">If you are using a Shotgun, <link-text>turn to 320</link-text>.</choice>
1902       <choice idref="sect28">If you are using a Rifle, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
1903       <choice idref="sect5">If you are using a Machine Pistol, <link-text>turn to 5</link-text>.</choice>
1904      </data>
1905     </section>
1906
1907     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1908      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1909
1910      <data>
1911       <p>You shout at your people to get away from the window as hurriedly you raise your pistol, take aim at the rider<ch.apos/>s chest, and squeeze the trigger.</p>
1912       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting skill total.</p>
1913       <choice idref="sect340">If your total score is 9 or less, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1914       <choice idref="sect302">If your total score is 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
1915      </data>
1916     </section>
1917
1918     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1919      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1920
1921      <data>
1922       <p>You vault over the trunk and land feet-first in the driving seat, your hand poised to switch on the ignition. The engine growls, but before you can shift gears and speed away, there is another burst of gunfire. It shatters the windshield and forces you to throw yourself across the passenger seat to avoid being caught in a deadly crossfire. Then a savage voice screams a command and the firing ceases. You chance a glance over the dashboard and see, to your astonishment, a leather-clad punk come running towards you from out of the ruins. Long Jake takes aim. He fires, missing by a hand<ch.apos/>s breadth. Undeterred, the grim-faced renegade leaps into the car beside you, cackling like a maniac as he lunges for your throat with his flick knife.</p>
1923       <combat><enemy>Copperhead</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
1924       <p>Owing to the surprise of the attack, you must fight the first round of combat unarmed.</p>
1925       <choice idref="sect63">If you win, <link-text>turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
1926      </data>
1927     </section>
1928
1929     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1930      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1931
1932      <data>
1933       <p>One by one the clansmen appear in the street, emerging from stores and other buildings. They advance towards you, brandishing knives and axes, and you are forced to run for your life.</p>
1934       <p>As you run past the entrance to a bar, a large group appears on the sidewalk less than twenty yards ahead. Shots ring out, forcing you to dive for cover inside the bar. Fortunately the place is deserted, but the angry screams of the mob grow louder as they near the bar. Quickly your eyes scan the gloomy interior, searching for a way out or for a place to hide. Two possibilities present themselves: the staircase to the first floor, and the counter at the rear of the bar.</p>
1935       <choice idref="sect286">If you wish to ascend the stairs to the first floor, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
1936       <choice idref="sect118">If you wish to hide behind the counter, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1937      </data>
1938     </section>
1939
1940     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
1941      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
1942
1943      <data>
1944       <p>Your shotgun roars and spits out a deadly cloud of buckshot, catching the ambusher full in the chest. Briefly you see him thrown backwards through the air before his lifeless body crashes down upon the rubbish-strewn floor of the derelict drugstore. You eject the spent shell but keep your gun trained on the window in case he was not alone. After a minute of silence you lower your weapon and begin to breathe a little easier.</p>
1945
1946       <illustration class="inline">
1947        <meta>
1948         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
1949        </meta>
1950        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1951        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1952        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1953       </illustration>
1954       
1955       <p>Remember to erase one 12-gauge round from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
1956       <choice idref="sect251">To continue, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
1957      </data>
1958     </section>
1959
1960     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
1961      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
1962
1963      <data>
1964       <p>Slowly you unshoulder your gun, slip the safety catch, and lower the barrel towards the ground. The rattlesnake darts its head forward and attempts to bury its fangs in your ankle. Its attack is all over, though, the moment you squeeze the trigger: at such close range your gunfire rips the snake apart (remember to erase the appropriate amount of ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>).</p>
1965       <p>You must now take a Drink (or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) before you climb back into your roadster and return to the convoy.</p>
1966       <choice idref="sect185"><link-text>Turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
1967      </data>
1968     </section>
1969
1970     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
1971      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
1972
1973      <data>
1974       <p>You sidestep the dead dog as it falls limply to the ground, anxious to avoid the deadly virus that still thrives within its foaming saliva. To your relief the other dogs halt in their tracks. Turning, they run away, scattering in all directions as they leave the highway.</p>
1975       <choice idref="sect97">If during your close combat with the rabid dog you lost 4 or more <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
1976       <choice idref="sect245">If you lost 3 or less <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
1977      </data>
1978     </section>
1979
1980     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
1981      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
1982
1983      <data>
1984       <p>You see Kate dive safely into cover and are about to follow her when suddenly the dust erupts around your feet and you feel a sharp pain cut across the back of your right calf: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1985       <p>You hobble the last few yards to cover, your wound making you grit your teeth. Another burst of fire cuts through the bushes within inches of your skull. Fear blocks out the pain, making you concentrate on finding a way out of the ambush.</p>
1986       <p>Carefully, you raise your head and peer through the foliage. One of the clansmen is beginning to move around the edge of the hollow, while his partner kneels and waits to give covering fire. Your fear turns to indignation when you realize that he is going after your car.</p>
1987       <choice idref="sect193">If you possess a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 193</link-text>.</choice>
1988       <choice idref="sect195">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1989      </data>
1990     </section>
1991
1992     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
1993      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
1994
1995      <data>
1996       <p>Making full use of the broken ground and heaps of wreckage as cover, you circle the mysterious observer and creep up on him from behind. So that you can find out why he is spying on the convoy you decide to try to overpower him. However, he hears you approaching and spins around to face you, his hand reaching for a dagger concealed in his boot.</p>
1997       <combat><enemy>Stake-out</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">26</enemy-attribute></combat>
1998       <choice idref="sect303">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
1999      </data>
2000     </section>
2001
2002     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2003      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2004
2005      <data>
2006       <p>You pull the transceiver out of your Backpack, flick the power switch on, and key in the frequency that Pop Ewell monitors aboard the bus. <quote>Red Phoenix to DC1,</quote> you say, using your emergency call sign. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m pinned down by sniper fire. It<ch.apos/>s coming from the diner across the street. Suspect two clansmen. Request assistance.</quote></p>
2007       <p>The tiny speaker crackles into life and you hear Cutter<ch.apos/>s voice reply: <quote>Hang in there, Cal. I<ch.apos/>ll circle <ch.apos/>round the back and flush <ch.apos/>em out.</quote></p>
2008       <p>A minute later you see Cutter jump down from the bus and scurry across the rock-strewn ground behind the diner, cradling a shotgun, which he loads as he runs. He disappears behind the building; then a few moments later you hear a burst of gunfire and see a swarthy-faced man, dressed in western clothes, come running out of the front door with a pistol in his hand.</p>
2009       <choice idref="sect143">If you possess a missile weapon, <link-text>turn to 143</link-text>.</choice>
2010       <choice idref="sect183">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not have sufficient ammunition to use it, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
2011      </data>
2012     </section>
2013
2014     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2015      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2016
2017      <data>
2018       <p>You have taken fewer than a dozen steps when suddenly the ground disappears beneath your feet. With a yelp of horror, you scrabble at the air as you fall head-first into a steep-sided gully.</p>
2019       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 equals 10). The number you pick is equal to the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points you lose as a result of your fall.</p>
2020       <choice idref="sect242">If you are still alive, adjust your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total and <link-text>turn to 242</link-text>.</choice>
2021      </data>
2022     </section>
2023
2024     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2025      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2026
2027      <data>
2028       <p>You fling yourself over the counter, landing heavily on a floor carpeted with broken glass and pools of stale liquor. Your knees and elbows bleed freely (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) from the deep cuts you sustain, and you cannot prevent a scream of agony from escaping your lips. Your cry is answered by a malicious laugh, and you hear a shotgun being cocked ready to fire.</p>
2029       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If your Stealth skill total is 4 or more, add 1 to the number you have picked.</p>
2030       <choice idref="sect35">If your total score is now 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
2031       <choice idref="sect334">If it is 3<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 334</link-text>.</choice>
2032       <choice idref="sect279">If it is 7<ch.endash/>10, <link-text>turn to 279</link-text>.</choice>
2033      </data>
2034     </section>
2035
2036     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2037      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2038
2039      <data>
2040       <p>Suddenly Cutter appears, his face lined with worry. He soon relaxes when he sees that you are alive. <quote>I reckon these guys were members of the Maverick gang that Rickenbacker warned us about,</quote> he says. <quote>Seems that the Lions ain<ch.apos/>t the only ones we gotta look out for.</quote></p>
2041       <p>Cutter helps you search the bodies and the diner. You discover the following items:</p>
2042       <ul>
2043        <li><item>Pistol</item> (with <item>four rounds of 9mm ammunition</item>)</li>
2044        <li><item>Rifle</item> (with <item>four rounds of 7.62mm ammunition</item>)</li>
2045        <li><item>Water Canteen</item> containing enough water for <item>three Drinks</item></li>
2046        <li>Serum, sulfonamides, and dressings, sufficient for <item>three Medi-kit units</item>.</li>
2047        <li><item>Flick Knife (2)</item></li>
2048        <li><item>Club (2)</item></li>
2049        <li><item>Binoculars</item></li>
2050        <li><item>Rope</item></li>
2051        <li><item>Fire Extinguisher</item></li>
2052       </ul>
2053       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2054       <p>As soon as your flat tyre has been repaired, and the highway swept clear of spikes, you climb back into your roadster and lead the convoy on towards Big Spring.</p>
2055       <choice idref="sect347"><link-text>Turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2056      </data>
2057     </section>
2058
2059     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2060      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2061
2062      <data>
2063       <p>Once the convoy is clear of the bridge, Cutter pulls over to the side of the highway and you stop in line behind him and the tanker. Uncle Jonas jumps down from his cab and together you run forward to check the damage to the bus. The front and sides are riddled with bullet holes, many of which have penetrated the engine and passenger compartments, yet, miraculously, no one has been killed or seriously injured. Aunt Betty-Ann appears at a window and reports that four members of the colony have been hit. She says not to worry<ch.emdash/>they have minor wounds and she is sure they will pull through.</p>
2064       <p>The radiator is leaking coolant but Cutter is confident that he can have it fixed within an hour. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s a real shame we<ch.apos/>ve got so few guns aboard,</quote> grumbles Cutter, as he sets to work sealing the perforated radiator mesh. <quote>It ain<ch.apos/>t no fun being the target for them punks when you don<ch.apos/>t get a chance to shoot back.</quote></p>
2065       <p>A hundred yards along the highway you see a sign that points to a road leading off to the east. It says:</p>
2066       <signpost>CARSWELL AIR FORCE BASE</signpost>
2067       <choice idref="sect342">If you wish to investigate the base while Cutter finishes his repairs, <link-text>turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
2068       <choice idref="sect295">If you decide to stay with the convoy, <link-text>turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
2069      </data>
2070     </section>
2071
2072     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2073      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2074
2075      <data>
2076       <p>Suddenly your windshield shatters and you feel something burn deep into your chest. The broken glass spins before your eyes and a terrifying numbness spreads from your chest to your limbs. Kate screams in terror; then silence engulfs you as your roadster slams into the side of a derelict gas station and explodes in a brilliant ball of orange flame.</p>
2077       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here in Coahoma.</deadend>
2078      </data>
2079     </section>
2080
2081     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2082      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2083
2084      <data>
2085       <p>As you near the centre of the corral, you throw yourself forward and reach out for the knife. Your fingers close around the hilt, but your enemy grabs your wrist and twists it, forcing you to drop the blade: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Gasping at the sudden pain, you stagger back, allowing him to pick up the fallen knife. With an evil guttural laugh, he raises the blade above his head and comes stalking towards you.</p>
2086       <combat><enemy>Meltdown</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2087       <choice idref="sect163">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2088      </data>
2089     </section>
2090
2091     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2092      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2093
2094      <data>
2095       <p>You climb into your roadster and leave the air force base, arriving back at the convoy minutes later, just as Cutter completes his repairs. You have little to show for your search of Carswell but, as Uncle Jonas is fond of saying, every little bit helps.</p>
2096       <choice idref="sect295"><link-text>Turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
2097      </data>
2098     </section>
2099
2100     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2101      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2102
2103      <data>
2104       <p>You raise your pistol with both hands, draw a breath through clenched teeth, and then take careful aim at the enemy sniper perched on the building opposite.</p>
2105       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
2106       <choice idref="sect349">If your total score is now 14 or less, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
2107       <choice idref="sect229">If your total score is now 15 or more, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2108      </data>
2109     </section>
2110
2111     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2112      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2113
2114      <data>
2115       <p>With a cotton bandana tied around your nose and mouth, and the collar of your leather jacket pulled close to your face, you set off into the storm. With visibility less than five yards, you must rely on your sense of hearing for some indication of the child<ch.apos/>s position. Repeatedly you call her name, hoping she will reply, yet all you hear is the incessant howling of the wind.</p>
2116       <p>You reach the edge of the school grounds and find a hole in the perimeter fence. A few feet beyond it stands the side wall of a derelict candy store. Once more you call out her name and a faint voice replies: <quote>Help me<ch.ellips/>I<ch.apos/>m in here.</quote></p>
2117       <choice idref="sect341">If your current Perception skill total is 3 or less, <link-text>turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
2118       <choice idref="sect154">If it is 4 or more, <link-text>turn to 154</link-text>.</choice>
2119      </data>
2120     </section>
2121
2122     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2123      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2124
2125      <data>
2126       <p>With your pulse racing you jump to your feet and spring, head down, towards the darkened doorway.</p>
2127       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Stealth skill total.</p>
2128       <choice idref="sect18">If the total is now 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
2129       <choice idref="sect329">If it is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
2130      </data>
2131     </section>
2132
2133     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2134      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2135
2136      <data>
2137       <p>You pull over in order to check the battle damage and allow the rest of the convoy to catch up with you. Fortunately the vital rear sections of your roadster<ch.emdash/>the fuel tank, axle, and tyres<ch.emdash/>are still intact. Most of the damage has been absorbed by the trunk and the fender, but the incident makes you sorely aware of the need for better protection, and you make a mental note to ask Cutter to help you reinforce the bodywork at the first opportunity.</p>
2138       <p>A few minutes later the convoy arrives. Having passed the burning remains of your adversaries the others are relieved to find you still in one piece. You inform them that the bikers were Detroit Lions, probably scouts, and that you suspect that the clan is no more than thirty miles away. <quote>Well, at least those two you ran into won<ch.apos/>t be reporting our position to Mad Dog, or anyone else for that matter,</quote> says Cutter, wryly.</p>
2139       <p><quote>Even so,</quote> says Uncle Jonas, <quote>we daren<ch.apos/>t afford t<ch.apos/> stop too long in any one place. We gotta keep ahead o<ch.apos/> that pack all the way to Big Spring.</quote></p>
2140       <p>The next town on the freeway is Sweetwater. Most of the buildings are still standing, although few have roofs as a result of yesterday<ch.apos/>s storm. Except for a few hungry coyote that have come down from the hills looking for jack rabbits, the place is deserted.</p>
2141       <p>Cutter signals for you to stop. The engine of the bus is overheating and, despite the risk of a clan attack, it must be allowed to cool down. The others take the opportunity to search the town for food, and you busy yourself by refuelling your roadster. <quote>What do you make of that, Cal?</quote> says Uncle Jonas, as you finish rewinding the tanker<ch.apos/>s fuel pipe. He is standing on the cab of the tanker, pointing at a shimmering ribbon of light to the south of the town. You climb up beside him and immediately you see that it is the sun reflecting off the surface of a small lake. <quote>Water!</quote> you both exclaim, excitedly.</p>
2142       <p>The chance of replenishing the colony<ch.apos/>s depleted water supply is too good an opportunity to miss. Uncle Jonas helps you load some empty plastic containers onto your roadster, and Kate volunteers to come with you to help fill and carry them. As soon as she is aboard, you start the engine and drive off towards the distant lake.</p>
2143       <choice idref="sect94"><link-text>Turn to 94</link-text>.</choice>
2144      </data>
2145     </section>
2146
2147     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2148      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2149
2150      <data>
2151       <p>A pack of five dogs suddenly appears at the side of the road, their stealthy approach concealed by the mound of loose earth excavated from the highway trench. At first glance they look like Alsatians, but you soon see that these dogs are much larger and fiercer. They fix you hungrily with their feral eyes, their mouths slavering and foaming as they stalk forward. Then two figures come into view behind them, gaunt and pale despite the desert sun. With a rasping scream, they command the dogs to attack and immediately the pack obeys.</p>
2152       <choice idref="sect107">If you possess a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 107</link-text>.</choice>
2153       <choice idref="sect16">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
2154      </data>
2155     </section>
2156
2157     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2158      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2159
2160      <data>
2161       <p>You are within a few yards of the bus when something heavy hits you squarely in the back, slamming you to the ground. Gasping for breath, you fight to free yourself from the steely clutches of a biker who has pounced on you. Desperately you struggle as he tightens his claw-like hands around your throat.</p>
2162       <combat><enemy>Kroon</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2163       <p>Owing to the surprise of the attack, you are unable to draw a close combat weapon until the start of the second round of combat.</p>
2164       <choice idref="sect166">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
2165      </data>
2166     </section>
2167
2168     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2169      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2170
2171      <data>
2172       <p>One of the men places his weapon on the floor in order to take something from his pack and you launch your attack. You burst through the door and fire your gun at the armed man, killing him instantly. You turn to face his partner, but his reflexes are far quicker than you expected. He hurls a wooden club at your head and you are forced to use your gun to bat it aside. Before you recover your aim, he leaps at you and wrestles you to the ground.</p>
2173       <combat><enemy>Belushi</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">26</enemy-attribute></combat>
2174       <p>Owing to the ferocity of his attack, you are unable to draw a close combat weapon until the start of the second round of the fight.</p>
2175       <choice idref="sect119">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
2176      </data>
2177     </section>
2178
2179     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2180      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2181
2182      <data>
2183       <p>You pull the bolt of your G-12, priming it to fire, and then rest its stubby barrel on the rollbar of your roadster to steady your aim. At 200 yards your target appears little more than 1/16 inch high. It will demand great skill and considerable luck to hit such a small target with a machine pistol.</p>
2184
2185       <illustration class="inline">
2186        <meta>
2187         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2188        </meta>
2189        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2190        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2191        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2192       </illustration>
2193
2194       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill level. Now decide how many bursts of fire you intend to launch at the target (minimum: one burst; maximum: five bursts). For every burst, add one point to your current score.</p>
2195       <choice idref="sect164">If your total score is now 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
2196       <choice idref="sect58">If it is 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
2197      </data>
2198     </section>
2199
2200     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2201      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2202
2203      <data>
2204       <p>You draw your gun, take aim, and kill the Maverick machine gunner with a shot to the head. As he falls, you turn your weapon on the remaining biker, but he is using Kate as a shield and you dare not fire for fear of hitting her. With anger and fear welling up inside you, you reluctantly lower your gun.</p>
2205       <p>Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
2206       <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
2207      </data>
2208     </section>
2209
2210     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2211      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2212
2213      <data>
2214       <p>You take the food out of your Backpack and hurl it down into the trench. As soon as the dogs scent the aroma of the food, they switch their attention to the hollow and leap in feet-first. Then the two men appear. They shamble to the edge of the trench and stare at you with vacant eyes. The skilful way in which you distracted their dogs does not seem to have antagonized them in the slightest, nor do they appear unduly concerned for their own safety. You stand your ground, challenging them to attack if they dare. They laugh. It is a pitiful, thin sound that makes your flesh crawl. You return their empty stares, noting with disgust the ulcer-like sores that cover their pale, greyish skins; their almost complete lack of hair; and their teeth, black with decay. Your disgust turns to pity, however, when suddenly you realize why they show no fear: they are both afflicted with terminal radiation sickness. Death is already their companion.</p>
2215       <illustration class="float">
2216        <meta>
2217         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2218         <description>They are both afflicted with terminal radiation sickness. Death is already their companion.</description>
2219        </meta>
2220        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="598"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2221        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="598"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2222        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="598" />
2223       </illustration>
2224       <p><quote>Where are you from?</quote> you call, anxious to discover if there is a hot spot<ch.emdash/>a zone of radioactivity<ch.emdash/>nearby.</p>
2225       <p><quote>Cisco,</quote> comes the reply.</p>
2226       <p>You take some dressings from your Medi-kit and place them on the ground in front of you (erase one Medi-kit unit from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>), before turning and walking back to your roadster. The dressings may be of little comfort to these two Rad-vics (the name your colony gives to the victims of high-dosage radioactivity), but they may know others who will benefit from them.</p>
2227       <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2228      </data>
2229     </section>
2230
2231     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2232      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2233
2234      <data>
2235       <p>These plastic containers are quite unlike anything you have seen before, and you are curious but suspicious: why have they been left untouched when everything else has been either looted or destroyed? Rather than risk opening what may turn out to be a bowlful of dangerous chemicals, you step away from the crate and quickly leave the basement.</p>
2236       <choice idref="sect144">To return to the convoy, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
2237      </data>
2238     </section>
2239
2240     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2241      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2242
2243      <data>
2244       <p>You see a cloud of dust approaching; then the roar of 100 motorcycle engines fills the air as the Detroit Lions come racing along the freeway into Colorado City. <quote>You gotta hold <ch.apos/>em off until we<ch.apos/>ve got this baby across,</quote> shouts Cutter, as he waves frantic signals to Uncle Jonas, who is having to fight to keep the tanker in a straight line. The sight of the makeshift platform sagging under the weight of the heavy vehicle makes your stomach churn.</p>
2245
2246       <illustration class="inline">
2247        <meta>
2248         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2249        </meta>
2250        <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2251        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2252        <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2253       </illustration>
2254
2255       <p><quote>Count on us!</quote> you shout in reply; then you turn and follow Kate as she runs back towards the town.</p>
2256       <p>As you reach the end of the bridge you notice two ideal defensive positions. One is a three-storey factory that overlooks the freeway; the other is an auto wreck overturned on the approach ramp to the bridge.</p>
2257       <choice idref="sect332">If you wish to hide behind the auto wreck, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
2258       <choice idref="sect243">If you decide to take cover inside the factory, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
2259      </data>
2260     </section>
2261
2262     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2263      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2264
2265      <data>
2266       <p>The dying screams of their chief dispel the trance into which the clansmen have fallen, but before they can act, you jump into the Thunderbird and twist the ignition key. The moment the antique engine growls into life, you stamp on the gas pedal and accelerate away from the crowd. In a cloud of dust and blue smoke you leave Cross Plains and return to the gas station where you parked your roadster. Before ditching the Thunderbird you search it thoroughly and discover that the trunk contains a Pistol and three rounds of 9mm ammunition. Then, with night drawing in, you climb into your own car and drive away at top speed.</p>
2267       <p>When you reach Rising Star you find that the convoy is awaiting your return with trepidation. Because you are so long overdue, they feared that you had fallen foul of Mad Dog Michigan and his bikers. You tell them what happened to you in Cross Plains and everyone agrees that, with darkness almost upon you, it is too dangerous to continue.</p>
2268       <p>The night at Rising Star passes uneventfully and at first light the convoy sets off cross-country towards Abilene. The arid, stony bed of Pecan Bayou provides excellent cover from the surrounding high ground and leads the convoy northwest, back towards Interstate 20. It is shortly after midday when you reach the freeway, from which you can see the outskirts of Abilene less than five miles distant.</p>
2269       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
2270      </data>
2271     </section>
2272
2273     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2274      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2275
2276      <data>
2277       <p>The journey southwest to Lake Lewisville is a slow and arduous trek across rough terrain, but one that cannot be avoided as you skirt around Denton. When finally you sight the dry lake, it is clear that crossing it will be a dangerous business as the convoy will make an easy target to anyone occupying the surrounding high ground. You must get the convoy across in the shortest time possible.</p>
2278       <p>The bed of the lake is littered with rusted car wrecks and old household machinery. Between these heaps of twisted scrap are avenues covered with slabs of broken earth that jut upwards at all angles, their sharp edges baked hard by months in the furnace-like heat. The bus and the tanker, both heavily laden, are soon reduced to a snail<ch.apos/>s pace for fear of shredding their tyres, and you are forced to stay close in case they break down or fall victim to an ambush.</p>
2279       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2280       <choice idref="sect281">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
2281       <choice idref="sect160">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 160</link-text>.</choice>
2282      </data>
2283     </section>
2284
2285     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2286      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2287
2288      <data>
2289       <p>You throw yourself to the ground. Your speedy reactions save you from being cut in half by the deadly tracer shells. The air is alive with bullet fragments and pieces of twisted metal, and you dare not raise your head for fear of being hit. Out of the corner of your eye you see Kate aiming her rifle from the window of the factory. She shoots and immediately the machine gun fire ceases. You look up to see the rider clutching his face with both hands. He swoons, falls backwards, and then tumbles from the saddle. Before the sidecar rider can jump free, the speeding machine careers off the road into the wall of an office building, and explodes in a searing ball of flame.</p>
2290       <p>With a smile you signal a thumbs-up to Kate and she returns your salute with a wave. A few minutes later a column of motorcycles<ch.emdash/>the main body of the clan<ch.emdash/>rides into view. They are now less than a mile from the bridge. <quote>C<ch.apos/>mon you two!</quote> shouts Cutter. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s time to go.</quote> The tanker has made it across the platform and is now parked with the other vehicles on the far side of the river. Kate is running towards you from the factory and, as she reaches the bridge, you call out to her: <quote>Set the bomb! I<ch.apos/>ll cover you!</quote></p>
2291       <illustration class="inline">
2292        <meta>
2293         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2294        </meta>
2295        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2296        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2297        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2298       </illustration>
2299       <p>Tensely you watch the clansmen as they gun their bikes along the freeway, and you glance repeatedly over your shoulder, praying for Kate to signal that the bomb is ready. Then the front line of bikers open fire with their machine pistols, and suddenly the air is filled with the whine and whistle of bullets. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s ready!</quote> shouts Kate, and takes off across the bridge at a run.</p>
2300       <p>Add together your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score and your Stealth skill total. (<strong>Note</strong>: If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is low and you are heavily encumbered, it may be advisable to discard some of your Backpack Items in order to increase your Stealth skill level.)</p>
2301       <choice idref="sect324">If your total is 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
2302       <choice idref="sect200">If your total is 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
2303      </data>
2304     </section>
2305
2306     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2307      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2308
2309      <data>
2310       <p>You are sure that the old hermit is bluffing and that he will say anything to cadge a ride with the colony. <quote>Sorry, old timer,</quote> you say, as you make ready to leave the cave, <quote>the bus is full an<ch.apos/> we<ch.apos/>re short o<ch.apos/> food. Anyway, you<ch.apos/>d be safer to stay here than come with us. There<ch.apos/>s a whole heap o<ch.apos/> trouble on our tail.</quote></p>
2311       <p><quote>I ain<ch.apos/>t afraid o<ch.apos/> trouble,</quote> retorts the hermit proudly, <quote>an<ch.apos/> I promise I<ch.apos/>ll be no burden to y<ch.apos/>all. I<ch.apos/>m rightly useful when it comes to huntin<ch.apos/> an<ch.apos/> findin<ch.apos/> water. An<ch.apos/> besides, if you want that bus o<ch.apos/> yours back on the road, you need me to tell you where to find a new steering linkage.</quote></p>
2312       <p>It seems that you have no choice but to take the hermit with you. If he is bluffing about the replacement part, both he and the bus will not be going anywhere. Reluctantly you agree to his proposition and tell him to collect his things.</p>
2313       <choice idref="sect257"><link-text>Turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
2314      </data>
2315     </section>
2316
2317     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2318      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2319
2320      <data>
2321       <p>You glance at your magazine, checking that there are sufficient rounds for a burst of fire, and then pull and release the bolt. The metal stock feels hot against your cheek as you take aim at the clansman<ch.apos/>s chest and squeeze the trigger.</p>
2322       <p>Add your Shooting skill total to your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
2323       <choice idref="sect96">If your total score is now 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
2324       <choice idref="sect153">If your total score is now 11 or more, <link-text>turn to 153</link-text>.</choice>
2325      </data>
2326     </section>
2327
2328     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2329      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2330
2331      <data>
2332       <p>With fear in your heart you spring towards the centre of the corral and dive with both your hands outstretched. The instant your fingers close around the hilt, you roll aside, avoiding by inches the vicious kick that your adversary aims at your head. Swiftly you find your feet and move on to the attack as your enemy falters.</p>
2333       <combat><enemy>Meltdown</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2334       <choice idref="sect163">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2335      </data>
2336     </section>
2337
2338     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2339      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2340
2341      <data>
2342       <p>Grabbing the rollbar that protects the driving compartment, you pull yourself feet-first into the driving seat and reach out for the ignition. The engine growls responsively, but its powerful roar is all but drowned by a sudden eruption of gunfire. Bullets shatter the windshield, forcing you to throw yourself across the passenger seat to avoid being caught in a deadly crossfire. Then a savage voice screams a command and the shooting ceases. You stay down and make a grab for the gear shift, but before you can speed away, a leather-clad punk leaps into the car beside you, cackling like a maniac as he draws his knife.</p>
2343       <combat><enemy>Copperhead</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
2344       <p>Owing to the speed of his attack, reduce your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 2 for the first round of this combat.</p>
2345       <choice idref="sect63">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2346      </data>
2347     </section>
2348
2349     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2350      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2351
2352      <data>
2353       <p>The fleeing man sees you and fires twice, but his aim is awry and the bullets pass high above your head. You raise your gun and order him to stop but he ignores your call. He shoots again and you return fire, killing him cleanly with a shot to the heart. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.)</p>
2354       <p>Cutter appears and beckons you over to the diner. Inside the doorway lies the body of another man, a rifle resting across his bloodstained chest. <quote>I reckon these two were from that Maverick gang that Rickenbacker warned us about,</quote> says Cutter, as he searches through the dead man<ch.apos/>s pockets. <quote>Seems like the Lions ain<ch.apos/>t the only ones we gotta look out for.</quote></p>
2355       <p>You help Cutter search the bodies and the diner. You discover the following items:</p>
2356       <ul>
2357        <li><item>Pistol</item> (with <item>two rounds of 9mm ammunition</item>)</li>
2358        <li><item>Rifle</item> (with <item>two rounds of 7.62mm ammunition</item>)</li>
2359        <li><item>Water Canteen</item> containing enough water for <item>three Drinks</item></li>
2360        <li>Serum, sulfonamides, and dressings, sufficient for <item>three Medi-kit units</item>.</li>
2361        <li><item>Flick knife (2)</item></li>
2362        <li><item>Club (2)</item></li>
2363        <li><item>Binoculars</item></li>
2364        <li><item>Rope</item></li>
2365        <li><item>Fire Extinguisher</item></li>
2366       </ul>
2367       <p>If you wish to keep any of the items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2368       <p>As soon as your flat tyre has been repaired and the highway swept clear of spikes, you climb back into your roadster and lead the convoy on towards Big Spring.</p>
2369       <choice idref="sect347"><link-text>Turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2370      </data>
2371     </section>
2372
2373     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2374      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2375
2376      <data>
2377       <p>With the bulky roll of polythene sheeting slung over your shoulder, you hurry back to the convoy as quickly as you can. Uncle Jonas greets you with a broad grin and offers to help you stow your find aboard the bus. <quote>That<ch.apos/>ll come in right useful if we run short o<ch.apos/> water,</quote> he says, as he slams shut the stowage door. <quote>We can use it to rig up a solar still.</quote></p>
2378       <p>Once everyone is aboard, you start the roadster and lead the convoy in single file onto the southbound carriageway of Interstate 35.</p>
2379       <choice idref="sect22"><link-text>Turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
2380      </data>
2381     </section>
2382
2383     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2384      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2385
2386      <data>
2387       <p>Swiftly you bring your rifle to your shoulder, draw a breath through clenched teeth, and then take careful aim at the enemy sniper perched on the building opposite.</p>
2388
2389       <illustration class="inline">
2390        <meta>
2391         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2392        </meta>
2393        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2394        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2395        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2396       </illustration>
2397
2398       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill total.</p>
2399       <choice idref="sect349">If your total score is now 9 or less, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
2400       <choice idref="sect229">If your total score is now 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2401      </data>
2402     </section>
2403
2404     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2405      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2406
2407      <data>
2408       <p>You dispatch the last of the attacking rats and wait until the others have disappeared before you get down from the counter. Still shivering with the shock of your horrific encounter, you search the store in case Maria is here. You are almost relieved to discover no trace of her; at least she has been spared the terrifying experience that you have just endured. You are about to leave to continue your search when your transceiver crackles into life. It is Kate, and she has good news: she has found Maria and she is on her way back to the school. You acknowledge her call; then you tune your handset to Uncle Jonas<ch.apos/> signal, using it to guide you back to base.</p>
2409       <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2410      </data>
2411     </section>
2412
2413     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2414      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2415
2416      <data>
2417       <p>The walls of this trench bear no marks made by picks or shovels, leading you to suspect that the hollow was excavated entirely by hand. You are wondering who on earth would undertake such a task, when you hear a chilling sound: the baying of hounds.</p>
2418       <p>The city gangs of Fort Worth keep packs of vicious pit bull terriers, many of whom you have encountered and laid to rest. But nothing you have met in the past has prepared you for the horror that faces you now.</p>
2419       <choice idref="sect128"><link-text>Turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
2420      </data>
2421     </section>
2422
2423     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2424      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2425
2426      <data>
2427       <p>You fight to maintain your grip, but the injuries sustained by your legs as you are dragged along the freeway sap the very last of your strength. Your grip fails and you fall beneath the rear wheels of the bus: death is instantaneous.</p>
2428       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here.</deadend>
2429      </data>
2430     </section>
2431
2432     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2433      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2434
2435      <data>
2436       <p>For a mile beyond the junction, the highway passes through a corridor of petrified trees, the pitiful remains of a fertile city park that thrived before the holocaust. Then it crests a ridge of high ground that overlooks the sickly, tainted waters of Lake Worth. The bridge ahead is blocked by a manned barricade, and you slow to a halt, signalling to the others to pull off the road to avoid being seen.</p>
2437       <p>Cutter is the first to join you, his eagle eyes fixed on the barricade as silently he assesses its strength. Uncle Jonas and Hammer Harlan are the next to arrive and they are quick to ask Cutter for his opinion. <quote>Ain<ch.apos/>t nothing fancy down there,</quote> he says, almost casually. <quote>They got a few cars strung out in a line, that<ch.apos/>s all. I figure if we was to hit <ch.apos/>em hard enough, you can bet yer boots we<ch.apos/>d bust through their centre like a bull through a wicker fence.</quote></p>
2438       <p><quote>We can<ch.apos/>t risk damaging a vehicle,</quote> says Hammer, wiping the sweat from his brow. <quote>If we smash a rad or rip a tyre, we can kiss goodbye to our hopes o<ch.apos/> seein<ch.apos/> Big Spring.</quote></p>
2439       <p><quote>True enough,</quote> replies Cutter, stroking his stubbly chin. <quote>But I<ch.apos/>ve got an idea that<ch.apos/>ll give us a better-than-evens chance o<ch.apos/> cuttin<ch.apos/> through without a scratch.</quote></p>
2440       <choice idref="sect227"><link-text>Turn to 227</link-text>.</choice>
2441      </data>
2442     </section>
2443
2444     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2445      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2446
2447      <data>
2448       <p>It is not until you reach the town of Trent, seven miles beyond the bridge, that you consider it safe to slow down and allow the convoy to resume its cruising speed. The sniper attack and the burning midday sun have left you shaking and streaming with sweat. You must now take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2449       <p>The battered houses and stores of this Texan town slip past and once again a featureless plain of broken, sun-baked earth stretches before you. Your pulse has just returned to normal when you notice, out of the corner of your eye, something that sets it racing once more. Less than a mile to the north a small cloud of dust is moving across the plain parallel to the freeway. Slowly it draws nearer until you can hear the sound of two motorcycles and glimpse the ugly faces of their riders. They are both standing to help balance their bouncing machines, and as they approach the freeway, they open their throttles and lift their front wheels in a display of bravado. They draw level with your roadster, one on either side, and you notice the symbol that is painted on the sides of their fuel tanks. It is the head of a lion with its teeth bared: the symbol of the Detroit Lions clan.</p>
2450       <illustration class="float">
2451        <meta>
2452         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2453         <description>You hear the sound of two motorcycles and glimpse the ugly faces of their riders.</description>
2454        </meta>
2455        <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="584"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2456        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="584"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2457        <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="584" />
2458       </illustration>
2459       <p>The clansman to your right shouts something but the rush of wind steals his words. You sense something land in the car, and when you turn to look, you are horrified to see a live grenade lying on the passenger seat beside you.</p>
2460       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, and add to it your Driving and Stealth skill totals.</p>
2461       <choice idref="sect236">If your total score is now 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
2462       <choice idref="sect165">If your total score is now 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
2463      </data>
2464     </section>
2465
2466     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2467      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2468
2469      <data>
2470       <p>Suddenly a starburst of pain explodes in your head and your mouth fills with a thick, hot liquid. You have been hit in the face by three of the sniper<ch.apos/>s bullets. Your wounds are fatal; death is instantaneous.</p>
2471       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here at Colorado City.</deadend>
2472      </data>
2473     </section>
2474
2475     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2476      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2477
2478      <footnotes>
2479       <footnote id="sect152-1-foot" idref="sect152-1">
2480        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
2481       </footnote>
2482      </footnotes>
2483
2484      <data>
2485       <p>The heavy steel door is held shut by an electronic lock. At first you suspect that the lock has jammed, its power having run down long ago, but as soon as you touch the keypad, a blue LED display glows into life above it.</p>
2486       <p>Eleven numbers appear, arranged in three rows. There are four numbers on the top row, four on the second, and three on the third:</p>
2487
2488       <illustration class="inline">
2489        <meta>
2490         <creator>Iain Smith</creator>
2491        </meta>
2492        <instance class="html" src="small13.png" width="386" height="200"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2493        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small13.gif" width="386" height="200"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2494        <instance class="pdf" src="small13.pdf" width="386" height="200"/>
2495        <instance class="text" src="none" width="none" height="none" >
2496         <table>
2497          <tr><td>2</td><td>12</td><td>5</td><td>9</td></tr>
2498          <tr><td>4</td><td>20</td><td>7</td><td>17</td></tr>
2499          <tr><td>12</td><td>12</td><td>4</td><td><ch.emdash/></td></tr>
2500         </table>
2501        </instance>
2502       </illustration>
2503
2504       <p>You study the rows of numbers carefully, looking for a pattern. By tapping on the keypad the number that is missing from the last row, you will release the lock and open the door.</p>
2505       <puzzle idref="sect20">When you think you know the missing number, <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn to the entry</a></when><otherwise>turn to the entry</otherwise></choose> that bears that number.<footref id="sect152-1" idref="sect152-1-foot"/></puzzle>
2506       <choice idref="sect171">If you cannot work out the correct answer, <link-text>turn to 171</link-text>.</choice>
2507      </data>
2508     </section>
2509
2510     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2511      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2512
2513      <data>
2514       <p>Your short burst of fire catches the clansman across the midriff and doubles him over as he runs. As he crashes to the ground, his partner panics and begins to fire wildly, powdering the scree behind you. When the firing stops, you raise your head and peer through the bushes, expecting to see your enemy reloading. Instead he discards his empty magazine and turns to run away. He has exhausted his ammunition and has decided to make his escape while he still can.</p>
2515       <p>As soon as you are sure that the coast is clear, you rise and help Kate to her feet. The sound of a motorcycle riding away into the distance reassures you that your ambusher has fled, and confidently you scramble up the slope and walk over to examine the body of the one who did not get away.</p>
2516       <p>Remember to deduct six rounds of 9mm ammunition from your <a idref="action">Ammo Pouch</a>.</p>
2517       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
2518      </data>
2519     </section>
2520
2521     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2522      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2523
2524      <data>
2525       <p>Your instincts tell you that something is wrong. There is no trace of fear in the voice, neither does it sound like Maria. She comes from a Mexican family, and although she has been raised among the English-speaking people of DC1, she has picked up her mother<ch.apos/>s strong Spanish accent.</p>
2526       <p>Cautiously you approach the store and peer through a crack in the door. Inside you see two bearded men, armed with clubs, waiting to ambush you the moment you enter. There is no sign of Maria, so quickly you turn around and hurry away to resume your search of the school grounds.</p>
2527       <p>A few minutes later your transceiver crackles into life. It is Kate, and she has good news: she has found Maria and she is on her way back to the school. You acknowledge her call; then you tune your handset to Uncle Jonas<ch.apos/> signal, using it to guide you back to base.</p>
2528       <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2529      </data>
2530     </section>
2531
2532     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2533      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2534
2535      <data>
2536       <p>You bring your roadster to a halt on a ridge that overlooks the ruins of Denton. The place is familiar<ch.emdash/>you have stopped here many times in the past few months during the routine patrols of the area, to check that the town was not being used as a base by the gangs who were raiding McKinney. The ruins look deserted but you decide to check them anyway just to make sure.</p>
2537       <p>Having driven through the town and seen nothing unusual, you are turning around to return to the convoy when you hear the sound of motorcycle engines being kicked into life. Three bikes burst out of a building in the centre of the town and come racing after you, their riders whooping like Red Indians. All three machines are carrying pillion passengers, who are armed with an assortment of weapons. As the first bike draws level, its passenger gets ready to leap into the seat beside you.</p>
2538       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, and add to this number your current Driving skill total.</p>
2539       <choice idref="sect76">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
2540       <choice idref="sect244">If it is 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 244</link-text>.</choice>
2541      </data>
2542     </section>
2543
2544     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2545      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2546
2547      <data>
2548       <p>Fifty miles of broken highway lie between you and the town of Albany. By mid-afternoon the temperature has climbed above 110<ch.deg/> Fahrenheit, and the combined effects of the scorching heat and the poor road surface begin to take its toll on those travelling aboard the crowded bus. As you approach the outskirts of a small town called Moran, Cutter signals for you to stop. <quote>We<ch.apos/>ve got six people down with heat exhaustion and four more on the brink,</quote> he says, his face awash with sweat. <quote>We<ch.apos/>ve got to get <ch.apos/>em out of this travelling oven and let <ch.apos/>em rest awhile in the shade.</quote></p>
2549       <p>You suggest that the convoy waits in Moran while you go on ahead to make sure that Albany is safe to enter. By the time you have checked it out and returned, the worst of the afternoon heat will have passed and the colony will be better able to continue. Before you leave for Albany you must take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Unless you possess a tub of <item>Salt</item>, you must reduce your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 4 points, due to excessive salt loss.</p>
2550       <choice idref="sect343"><link-text>Turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
2551      </data>
2552     </section>
2553
2554     <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2555      <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2556
2557      <data>
2558       <p>You cry out in pain as the poison courses up your leg. You clutch the wound and strike a second blow at the snake, but it retreats swiftly, disappearing among the rocks.</p>
2559       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it the number of Medi-kit units you possess.</p>
2560       <choice idref="sect106">If your total score is now 12 or less, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2561       <choice idref="sect45">If your total score is now 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
2562      </data>
2563     </section>
2564
2565     <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2566      <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2567
2568      <data>
2569       <p><quote>You had better take this with you,</quote> says Pop Ewell, reaching into a satchel that he carries over his shoulder. He removes a hand-held transceiver and offers it to you. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s tuned to 153 megahertz. I<ch.apos/>ll be listenin<ch.apos/> out for you the whole time you<ch.apos/>re away.</quote></p>
2570       <p>You take the <item>CB Radio</item> (mark this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item<ch.emdash/>you must discard another item in its favour if you already carry the maximum quota of items), check the setting, and make sure there is sufficient power left in its miniaturized solar-pac before you walk to your roadster.</p>
2571       <p><quote>Good luck, Cal,</quote> says Uncle Jonas, as you switch on your ignition and check your instrumentation. <quote>Don<ch.apos/>t take no unnecessary risks, y<ch.apos/>hear!</quote></p>
2572       <p>With a wave, you bid him farewell, before accelerating the roadster along the highway that leads to Mineral Wells.</p>
2573       <choice idref="sect325"><link-text>Turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
2574      </data>
2575     </section>
2576
2577     <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2578      <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2579
2580      <data>
2581       <p>As you raise your shotgun, you shout at your people to get away from the window. Their screams of terror fill your ears as you take aim at the rider<ch.apos/>s chest and squeeze the trigger.</p>
2582
2583       <illustration class="inline">
2584        <meta>
2585         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2586        </meta>
2587        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2588        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2589        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2590       </illustration>
2591
2592       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting skill total.</p>
2593       <choice idref="sect340">If your total score is 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
2594       <choice idref="sect302">If your total score is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
2595      </data>
2596     </section>
2597
2598     <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2599      <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2600
2601      <data>
2602       <p>Two miles and two hours later you reach the opposite side of the lake. Half an hour further on, the convoy makes a rest stop and takes stock of its surroundings. Traces of a paved road that disappears towards the west are found, and Cutter Jacks, who lived only a few miles from Lake Lewisville before <quote>The Day</quote>, identifies it as the remains of State Highway 407. <quote>This<ch.apos/>ll get us back on course,</quote> he says confidently. <quote>Follow this baby and we<ch.apos/>ll make Interstate 35 in under an hour.</quote></p>
2603
2604       <illustration class="inline">
2605        <meta>
2606         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2607        </meta>
2608        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2609        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2610        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2611       </illustration>
2612
2613       <p>Twenty minutes later, Interstate 35 appears in the distance, its long, concrete body lying bleached and quaking beneath the fiery sun. The road you are following passes beneath it but, as you draw closer, you notice a ramp coiling away to your right, giving access to the freeway.</p>
2614       <p>A few hundred yards beyond the ramp you see another. It leads to the ruins of a once prestigious building<ch.emdash/>the North Texas State University.</p>
2615
2616       <illustration class="inline">
2617        <meta>
2618         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2619        </meta>
2620        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2621        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2622        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2623       </illustration>
2624
2625       <choice idref="sect82">If you wish to search the university, <link-text>turn to 82</link-text>.</choice>
2626       <choice idref="sect22">If you decide to lead the convoy onto Interstate 35, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
2627      </data>
2628     </section>
2629
2630     <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2631      <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2632
2633      <data>
2634       <p>Using your <a idref="map">map</a> of central Texas as your guide, you leave Colorado City and follow the remains of State Highway 208 north towards Lake Thomas. You are hoping that the dam marked there on your map is still intact, for most dams have a service road running across the top.</p>
2635
2636       <illustration class="inline">
2637        <meta>
2638         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2639        </meta>
2640        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2641        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2642        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2643       </illustration>
2644
2645       <p>An hour later you arrive at Lake Thomas to find that the dam is still standing. Excitedly you stop the car and start walking towards it. As you get nearer you see that the service road is no wider than a garden path: the bus and the tanker will never be able to cross the river here. Sadly you return to your car.</p>
2646       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, and add to it your Field Craft and Perception skill totals.</p>
2647       <choice idref="sect274">If your total score is now 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2648       <choice idref="sect53">If your total score is now 11 or more, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
2649      </data>
2650     </section>
2651
2652     <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2653      <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2654
2655      <data>
2656       <p>You park beside the control tower, switch off the engine, and then wait. Only when you are sure that the area is deserted do you leave your vehicle and enter the derelict building. A spiral staircase leads to the main control room where once-sophisticated technology now lies scorched and twisted beyond recognition. You open a service hatch to find yourself staring at the skeletal remains of an air force sergeant.</p>
2657       <illustration class="float">
2658        <meta>
2659         <creator>Melvyn Grant</creator>
2660         <description>You open a service hatch to find yourself staring at the skeletal remains of an air force sergeant.</description>
2661        </meta>
2662        <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="587"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2663        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="587"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2664        <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="587" />
2665       </illustration>
2666       <p>You regain your composure quickly and move to close the hatch. Then you notice that a holster and an ammunition pouch are still attached to the dead soldier<ch.apos/>s belt, and your scavenger<ch.apos/>s instincts get the better of you.</p>
2667       <p>The holster contains a Pistol and the pouch holds twelve rounds of 9mm ammunition. If you decide to keep either of these items, amend your <a idref="action">Weapons List</a> and Ammo Pouch accordingly.</p>
2668       <choice idref="sect123">To leave the control tower, <link-text>turn to 123</link-text>.</choice>
2669      </data>
2670     </section>
2671
2672     <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2673      <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2674
2675      <data>
2676       <p>You step away from Meltdown<ch.apos/>s body and turn to face the cheering crowd. Manhattan comes striding towards you, his face beaming, delighted that you have disposed of his would-be rival. <quote>Nice work, kid. I knew y<ch.apos/>was a Kicker when I first set eyes on you,</quote> he says glibly. Then he calls to one of his sidekicks and says something to him that you cannot hear. <quote>Follow Tweet,</quote> he says, nodding to his grimy, one-eyed helper. <quote>He<ch.apos/>ll give you some chow and make sure you get some new equipment. Come see me in an hour<ch.emdash/>I<ch.apos/>ve got a special job for you.</quote></p>
2677       <p>Tweet takes you to a motel near the centre of town, where he offers you enough food for one Meal, enough water for two Drinks, and a choice of the following weapons, ammunition, and equipment:</p>
2678       <ul>
2679        <li><item>Machine Pistol</item> plus <item>twenty rounds of 9mm ammunition</item></li>
2680        <li><item>Pistol</item> plus <item>six rounds of 9mm ammunition</item></li>
2681        <li><item>Rifle</item> plus <item>six rounds of 7.62mm ammunition</item></li>
2682       </ul>
2683       <p>(You may take only one of the three weapons listed above. You also reclaim your <item>Hunting Knife</item>.)</p>
2684       <ul>
2685        <li><item>Binoculars</item></li>
2686        <li><item>File</item></li>
2687        <li><item>Signal Flare</item></li>
2688        <li><item>Compass</item></li>
2689        <li><item>Geiger Counter</item></li>
2690       </ul>
2691       <p>(You may take any number of the above Backpack Items.)</p>
2692       <p>After you have eaten and re-equipped yourself, you ask to be allowed to visit the latrine. Tweet points to a restroom in the Motel<ch.apos/>s lobby and tells you to be quick: Manhattan does not like to be kept waiting. Once inside, you discover what you were hoping to find: a window. The small window overlooks an old parking lot, and seconds later, you jump down into it.</p>
2693       <p>You have been gone less than a few minutes when Tweet raises the alarm. Soon the town is swarming with clansmen searching for you. In desperation you hide in an old timber yard, where you wait patiently for the chance to slip out of Albany unseen. While you are lying low, you must take a drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2694       <choice idref="sect61">To continue, <link-text>turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
2695      </data>
2696     </section>