bbb9fff05aab7a0a919833e1863e7b85791c0bc6
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 15tdc.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14 <meta>
15  <title>The Darke Crusade</title>
16  <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
17  <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Williams, Brian">Brian Williams</creator>
18  <creator class="short">Joe Dever and Brian Williams</creator>
19  <creator class="medium">
20   <line>Joe Dever</line>
21   <line>Illustrated by Brian Williams</line>
22  </creator>
23  <creator class="long">
24    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.lw;
25    &inclusion.brian.williams.bio.lw;
26  </creator>
27  <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
28   <date class="publication"><year>2012</year><month>10</month><day>28</day></date>
29  <description class="blurb">
30   <p>You are the warrior Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>Kai Grand Master of Sommerlund. In the distant realm of Nyras a bitter war is waging between the brave knights of Lencia and the evil Drakkarim. The Lencians have won many battles, but now the Drakkarim leader<ch.emdash/>Warlord Magnaarn<ch.emdash/>is near to finding the Doomstone of Darke. If he should succeed he will be capable of destroying the Lencians once and for all.</p>
31   <p>In <strong><cite>The Darke Crusade</cite></strong>, you must journey through the infernal Hellswamp, trek deep into the forests of northern Nyras and brave the heat of battle. Will you succeed and save your allies? Or will you fall victim to Warlord Magnaarn?</p>
32  </description>
33  <description class="publication">
34   <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="http://www.projectaon.org/">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
35  </description>
36  <rights class="copyrights">
37   <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1991 Joe Dever.</line>
38   <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1991 Brian Williams.</line>
39  </rights>
40  <rights class="license-notification">
41   <p>
42    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1991 Joe Dever.</line>
43    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1991 Brian Williams.</line>
44    <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
45   </p>
46  </rights>
47 </meta>
48
49 <section id="toc">
50  <meta><title>Table of Contents</title></meta>
51  <data />
52 </section>
53
54 <section id="title">
55  <meta>
56   <title>Title Page</title>
57   <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
58  </meta>
59
60  <data>
61
62   <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
63    <meta>
64     <title>Dedication</title>
65     <link class="prev" idref="title" />
66     <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
67    </meta>
68
69    <data>
70
71     <p class="dedication">
72      <line>To the spirit of San Diego<ch.emdash/>America<ch.apos/>s Finest City.</line>
73     </p>
74
75    </data>
76   </section>
77
78   <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
79    <meta>
80     <title>Acknowledgements</title>
81     <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
82     <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
83    </meta>
84
85    <data>
86
87      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
88
89     <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
90      <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
91
92      <data>
93       <dl>
94        <dt>Transcription</dt>
95         <dd>Kenny Wong</dd>
96        <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
97         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
98        <dt>XML</dt>
99         <dd>
100          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
101          <line>Jeff Dougan</line>
102          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
103         </dd>
104        <dt>Action Charts</dt>
105         <dd>
106          <line>JC Alvarez</line>
107          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
108         </dd>
109        <dt>Proofreading</dt>
110         <dd>Kenny Wong</dd>
111        <dt>Editing</dt>
112         <dd>
113          <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
114          <line>Christopher Lundgren</line>
115          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
116          <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
117          <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
118          <line>Jody Williams</line>
119         </dd>
120 <!--       <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
121         <dd></dd>-->
122        <dt>Coordination</dt>
123         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
124        <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
125         <dd>Jan Charv<ch.aacute/>t, Sean Donald, Benjamin Krefetz, Christopher Turner, William Mobbs</dd>
126       </dl>
127      </data>
128     </section>
129
130    </data>
131   </section>
132
133   <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
134    <meta>
135     <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
136     <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
137     <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
138    </meta>
139
140    <footnotes>
141     <footnote id="tssf-1-foot" idref="tssf-1">
142      <p>The Drakkarim land of Nyras has been referred to as <quote>Nyraz</quote> in previous publications. We have left it as it stands in this book due to its consistent use here and under the assumption that the author intended this name change.</p>
143     </footnote>
144    </footnotes>
145
146    <data>
147
148     <p>You are Grand Master Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Lords of Sommerlund and sole survivor of a massacre that wiped out the First Order of your <ch.eacute/>lite warrior caste.</p>
149     <p>It is the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5076 and twenty-six years have passed since your brave kinsmen perished at the hands of the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent forth by Naar, the King of the Darkness, to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund, have themselves since been destroyed. You vowed to avenge the murder of the Kai and you kept your pledge, for it was you who brought about their downfall when alone you infiltrated their foul domain<ch.emdash/>the Darklands<ch.emdash/>and caused the destruction of their leader, Archlord Gnaag, and the seat of his power that was the infernal city of Helgedad.</p>
150     <p>In the wake of their destruction, chaos befell the Darkland armies who, until then, had been poised to conquer all of Northern Magnamund. Some factions which were part of this huge army, most notably the barbaric Drakkarim, began to fight with the others for control. This disorder quickly escalated into an all-out civil war, which allowed the Freeland armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a counter-offensive. Skilfully their commanders exploited the chaos and secured a swift and total victory over an enemy far superior in numbers.</p>
151     <p>For six years now peace has reigned in Sommerlund. Under your direction, the once-ruined Monastery of the Kai has been thoroughly rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and the task of teaching a Second Order of Kai warriors the skills and proud traditions of your ancestors is also well under way. The new generation of Kai recruits, all of whom were born during the era of war against the Darklords, possess latent Kai skills and all show exceptional promise. These skills will be nurtured and honed to perfection during their time at the monastery so that they may teach and inspire future generations, thereby ensuring the continued security of your homeland in future years.</p>
152     <p>Your attainment of the rank of Kai Grand Master brought with it great rewards. Some, such as the restoration of the Kai and the undying gratitude of your fellow Sommlending, could have been anticipated. Yet there have also been rewards which you could not possibly have foreseen. The discovery that within you lay the potential to develop Kai Disciplines beyond those of the Magnakai, which, until now, were thought to be the ultimate that a Kai Master could aspire to, was truly a revelation. Your discovery has inspired you to set out upon a new and previously unknown path in search of the wisdom and power that no Kai Lord before you has ever possessed. In the name of your creator, the God Kai, and for the greater glory of Sommerlund and the Goddess Ishir, you have vowed to reach the very pinnacle of Kai perfection<ch.emdash/>to attain all of the Grand Master Disciplines and become the first Kai Supreme Master.</p>
153     <p>With diligence and determination you set about the restoration of the Kai Monastery and organized the training of the Second Order recruits. Your efforts were soon rewarded and, within the space of two short years, the first raw recruits had graduated to become a cadre of gifted Kai Masters who, in turn, were able to commence the teaching of their skills to subsequent intakes of Kai novices. Readily the Kai Masters rose to their newfound responsibilities, leaving you free to devote more of your time to the pursuit and perfection of the Grand Master Disciplines. During this period you also received expert tutelage in the ways of magic from two of your most trusted friends and advisors: Guildmaster Banedon, leader of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, and Lord Rimoah, speaker for the High Council of the Elder Magi.</p>
154     <p>In the deepest subterranean level of the monastery, one hundred feet below the Tower of the Sun, you ordered the excavation and construction of a special vault. In this magnificent chamber wrought of granite and gold, you placed the seven Lorestones of Nyxator, the gems of Kai power that you had rediscovered during your quest for the Magnakai. It was here, bathed in the golden light of those radiant gems, that you spent countless hours in pursuit of perfection. Sometimes alone, sometimes in the company of your two most able advisors<ch.emdash/>Banedon and Rimoah<ch.emdash/>you worked hard to develop your innate Grand Master Disciplines, and grasp the fundamental secrets of Left-handed and Old Kingdom magic. During this time you noticed many remarkable changes taking place within your body: you became physically and mentally stronger, your five primary senses sharpened beyond all that you had experienced before, and, perhaps most remarkably, your body began to age at a much slower rate. Now for every five years that elapse you age but one year.</p>
155     <p>At this time many changes were occurring beyond the borders of Sommerlund. In the regions to the northeast of Magador and the Maakengorge, the Elder Magi of Dessi and the Herbwardens of Bautar were working together in an effort to restore the dusty volcanic wasteland to its former fertile state. It was the first tentative step towards the reclamation of all the Darklands. However, their progress was painfully slow, and both parties were resigned to the fact that their efforts to undo the damage caused by the Darklords would take not years but centuries to complete.</p>
156     <p>In the far west, the Drakkarim had retreated to their homelands and were engaged in a bloody war against the Lencians. Much of southern Nyras<footref id="tssf-1" idref="tssf-1-foot"/> had been reclaimed by the armies of King Sarnac, the Lencian commander, and his flag now flew over territory which, two thousand years ago, had once been part of Lencia.</p>
157     <p>Following the destruction of the Darklords of Helgedad, the Giaks, the most prolific in number of all of Gnaag<ch.apos/>s troops, fled into the Darklands and sought refuge in the gigantic city-fortresses of Nadgazad, Aarnak, Gournen, Akagazad, and Kaag. Within each of these hellish strongholds fierce fighting broke out as remnants of the Xaghash (lesser Darklords) and the Nadziranim (evil practitioners of Right-handed magic who once aided individual Darklord masters) fought for control. It is widely believed that by the time the Elder Magi and the Herbwardens reach the walls of these strongholds they will encounter no resistance; the occupants will have long since brought about their own extinction.</p>
158     <p>Elsewhere, throughout Northern Magnamund, peace reigns victorious and the peoples of the Free Kingdoms rejoice in the knowledge that the age of the Darklords has finally come to an end. Readily men have exchanged their swords for hoes and their shields for ploughs, and now the only marching they do is along the ruts of their freshly furrowed fields. Few are the watchful eyes that scan the distant horizon in fear of what may appear, although there are still those who maintain their vigilance, for the agents of Naar come in many guises and there are those upon Magnamund who wait quietly in the shadows for the chance to do his evil bidding.</p>
159     <p>Only a year ago the evil Cener Druids of Ruel attempted to enact Naar<ch.apos/>s revenge. Secretly, in the laboratories of their foul stronghold of Mogaruith, they had laboured to create a virulent plague virus capable of killing every living creature upon Magnamund, save their own kind. Word of their terrible plan reached Lord Rimoah who immediately urged the rulers of the Freelands to raise armies and invade Ruel. Hurriedly they complied, but the invasion ended in disaster. Seven thousand fighting men entered Ruel intent on storming the fortress of Mogaruith and razing it to the ground. Seven thousand marched into the dark realm; only seventy emerged alive. The Ceners were within days of perfecting their ultimate weapon when you took up the challenge and ventured alone into Mogaruith.</p>
160     <p>Despite overwhelming odds you thwarted their evil plan by destroying the virus and the means by which it was created.</p>
161     <p>After emerging from Ruel triumphant, your quest fulfilled, you returned home to Sommerlund and the Kai Monastery where you resumed your duties as Grand Master. Three months later, on the day that saw the first fall of winter snow, you were visited by Lord Rimoah. Once again he found himself the reluctant bearer of ill news. Your friend Guildmaster Banedon, whilst helping with the reclamation of wastelands close to the Maakengorge, had been abducted by a war-band of Giaks under the command of Nadziranim sorcerers. A rescue was attempted, but ruthlessly the Nadziranim obliterated those who tried to follow their escape into the Darklands. It was feared that the Nadziranim would try to extract from Banedon the secrets of Left-handed magic, so that they might marry it to their own foul sorcery. Such an outcome would have given them extraordinary power, power enough to revive the Darklands. A previous attempt to unite the two paths of magic had resulted in catastrophe for Sommerlund. In the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5050, Vonotar the Traitor, a magician from the same guild as Banedon, had betrayed his homeland in exchange for the promise of Nadziranim power. It was his act of treachery which brought about the invasion of Sommerlund and the destruction of the First Order of the Kai.</p>
162     <p>Banedon<ch.apos/>s survival depended upon a swift rescue from Kaag. Mindful of all that was at stake, courageously you volunteered to enter the city-fortress alone in an attempt to save your friend.</p>
163     <p>Despite fierce odds you gained entry to Kaag, located Banedon, and then snatched him from the foul denizens of that city by way of a daring aerial escape from the upper levels of their great citadel. Banedon was severely weakened by his ordeal at the hands of the Nadziranim and, had it not been for your timely intervention, he would certainly have perished in that grim city-fortress.</p>
164     <p>The rescue of Guildmaster Banedon and his safe return to Sommerlund was cause for much celebration, especially in the streets and guildhalls of his native city of Toran. For several days you allowed yourself to be f<ch.ecirc/>ted by the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star before returning to your monastery where, with a feeling of quiet satisfaction, you gladly resumed your duties as Kai Grand Master.</p>
165     <p>So the year ended and another began, yet even before the snows of winter had begun to thaw, once again your unique skills were being sought in the relentless struggle against Evil. This time the plea for help arrived by way of a foreign ambassador, a special envoy who had travelled thousands of miles from the court of  King Sarnac of Lencia. Their war against the Drakkarim,  who were under the command of Magnaarn, the High Warlord of Darke, had stagnated ever since the onset of winter and recently the whole campaign had taken a turn for the worse. The Lencians learned that Magnaarn had undertaken a quest for the Doomstone of Darke, an artefact of  legendary evil. It was said that this gem was the most powerful of all the Doomstones created by Agarash the Damned during the Age of Eternal Night. Before the demise of the Darklords, this Doomstone had rested in the head of the Nyras Sceptre, a magical weapon wielded by Darklord Dakushna, Lord of Kagorst. In the chaos that followed the wake of Dakushna<ch.apos/>s destruction, the Nyras Sceptre was lost, though many secretly believed it to have been stolen by one of Dakushna<ch.apos/>s Nadziranim sorcerers. Some months later during the war in Nyras the sceptre reappeared, but the Doomstone was missing from its setting atop the sceptre<ch.apos/>s platinum haft.</p>
166     <p><quote>We fear that Magnaarn is close to finding the Doomstone of Darke,</quote> said the Lencian envoy. <quote>Already he possesses the sceptre<ch.apos/>s haft. My liege, King Sarnac, beseeches you, Grand Master Lone Wolf, to come to our aid. Help us find the Doomstone and thwart Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s plan, for if he successfully reunites the Doomstone and the Nyras sceptre he will command a power capable of our undoing.</quote></p>
167     <p><quote>With respect, my lord, surely this one weapon, however evil it may be, is no match when pitted against all the armoured might of Lencia?</quote> you replied diplomatically, as yet unconvinced by the envoy<ch.apos/>s plea.</p>
168     <p><quote>Perhaps so, Grand Master,</quote> he replied, <quote>were the nature of the threat merely the weapon alone. Sadly this is not the only issue here. Until now, the Nadziranim sorcerers who control the strongholds of Kagorst and Akagazad have refused to aid Magnaarn in his war against us. Many times he has begged them for help, for within those fortress walls are thousands of Giaks and other breeds who sought sanctuary there after the defeat of the Darklords. They still possess their weapons and they would make a formidable enemy if ever they were mustered against us. Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s possession of the Doomstone of Darke will most certainly influence the Nadziranim. Its power is such that Magnaarn could simply force them to obey  his every command. Their refusal would result in their immediate destruction.</quote></p>
169     <p>Politely you dismissed the envoy whilst you considered your response to his plea. In the solitude of your chamber you pondered the problem, weighing the plight of Lencia against your duties and responsibilities there at the Kai Monastery. At length, after careful deliberation, you reached your decision.</p>
170     <p><quote>Well my lord?</quote> enquired the envoy, nervously, upon re-entering your chamber. <quote>Will you help us thwart Magnaarn?</quote></p>
171     <p><quote>Once, not so very long ago, your King and his army aided me during my quest for the Magnakai,</quote> you replied. <quote>Perhaps now the time has come for me to repay my debt of gratitude. Yes, I shall help you. I shall return with you to Lencia and champion your cause. I vow that I shall do all in my power to thwart Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s quest.</quote></p>
172    </data>
173   </section>
174
175   <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
176    <meta>
177     <title>The Game Rules</title>
178     <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
179     <link class="next" idref="discplnz" />
180    </meta>
181
182    <footnotes>
183     <footnote id="gamerulz-1-foot" idref="gamerulz-1">
184      <p>The Discipline bonuses mentioned do not affect your permanent scores. If you have completed previous adventures, the Disciplines that you have mastered may still be beneficial. See the Grand Master Rules section of the <a href="&link.rh;">Readers<ch.apos/> Handbook</a> for details.</p>
185     </footnote>
186     <footnote id="gamerulz-2-foot" idref="gamerulz-2">
187      <p>If you have completed any previous <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> adventures, remember to choose an additional Grand Master Discipline and add +1 to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and +2 to your basic <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> for each adventure you successfully completed (cf. <a idref="discplnz">Grand Master Disciplines</a>).</p>
188     </footnote>
189    </footnotes>
190
191    <data>
192
193     <p>You keep a record of your adventure on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
194     <p>For more than five years, ever since the demise of the Darklords of Helgedad, you have devoted yourself to developing further your fighting prowess<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ><ch.emdash/>and physical stamina<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Before you begin this Grand Master adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick a 0 it counts as zero.</p>
195     <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 25 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 6 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 31). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.</p>
196     <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 30 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 7 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 37 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
197     <p>If you are wounded in combat you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can never rise above the number you have when you start an adventure.</p>
198     <p>If you have successfully completed any of the previous adventures in the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> series (Books 1<ch.endash/>14), you can carry your current scores of <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points over to Book 15. These scores may include Weaponmastery, Curing, and Psi-surge bonuses obtained upon completion of <cite>Lone Wolf Kai</cite> (Books 1<ch.endash/>5) or <cite>Magnakai</cite> (Books 6<ch.endash/>12) adventures.<footref id="gamerulz-1" idref="gamerulz-1-foot"/> Only if you have completed these previous adventures will you benefit from the appropriate bonuses in the course of the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series.<footref id="gamerulz-2" idref="gamerulz-2-foot"/> You may also carry over any Weapons and Backpack Items you had in your possession at the end of your last adventure, and these should be entered on your new Grand Master <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. (You are still limited to two Weapons, but you may now carry up to ten Backpack Items.)</p>
199     <p>However, only the following Special Items may be carried over from the <cite>Lone Wolf Kai</cite> (Books 1<ch.endash/>5) and <cite>Magnakai</cite> (Books 6<ch.endash/>12) series to the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series (Books 13-onwards):</p>
200     <ul>
201      <li>Crystal Star Pendant</li>
202      <li>Sommerswerd</li>
203      <li>Silver Helm</li>
204      <li>Dagger of Vashna</li>
205      <li>Silver Bracers</li>
206      <li>Jewelled Mace</li>
207      <li>Silver Bow of Duadon</li>
208      <li>Helshezag</li>
209      <li>Kagonite Chainmail</li>
210      <li>Korlinium Scabbard</li>
211     </ul>
212
213     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="discplnz">
214      <meta>
215       <title>Grand Master Disciplines</title>
216       <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
217       <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
218      </meta>
219
220      <footnotes>
221       <footnote id="discplnz-1-foot" idref="discplnz-1">
222        <p>Weaponmastery bonuses are replaced by Grand Weaponmastery bonuses, not added cumulatively (cf. <a href="http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn28">Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28</a>).</p>
223        <p>If you have completed previous adventures, already possess the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery with Bow, and have reached the rank of <bookref book="12tmod" section="imprvdsc">Mentora</bookref>, it seems that you should already be able to add 5 to numbers picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (i.e. the basic Weaponmastery with Bow bonus of 3 added to the Mentora bonus of 2 for all missile weapons). Likely, the author intended the Weaponmastery bonus at the Mentora rank to be a <quote>hidden loyalty bonus</quote> (cf. <a href="http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn28">Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28</a>). In view of this, the +2 Mentora bonus is therefore <em>not</em> cumulative with Grand Weaponmastery with Bow.</p>
224        <p>Certain sections direct the reader to use different bonuses when using a Bow, ranging from 3 to 5, if you have Grand Weaponmastery with Bow. This may be the author adjusting the Grand Weaponmastery bonus on a case-by-case basis (and therefore this bonus should be used instead of the standard bonus) or an error (and therefore all of these bonuses should be 5). It is up to you to decide, but it seems most reasonable to follow the first alternative, to replace the Grand Weaponmastery bonus with whatever bonus is mentioned in that section.</p>
225       </footnote>
226      </footnotes>
227
228      <data>
229
230       <section class="frontmatter" id="mksumary">
231        <meta>
232         <title>Kai <ch.ampersand/> Magnakai Disciplines</title>
233        </meta>
234
235        <data>
236         <p>During your distinguished rise to the rank of Kai Grand Master you have become proficient in all of the basic Kai and Magnakai Disciplines. These Disciplines have provided you with a formidable arsenal of natural abilities which have served you well in the fight against the agents and champions of Naar, King of the Darkness. A brief summary of your skills is given below.</p>
237
238         <dl>
239          <dt>Weaponmastery</dt>
240           <dd>Proficiency with all close combat and missile weapons. Master of unarmed combat; no <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> loss when fighting bare-handed.</dd>
241          <dt>Animal Control</dt>
242           <dd>Communication with most animals; limited control over hostile creatures. Can use woodland animals as guides and can block a non-sentient creature<ch.apos/>s sense of taste and smell.</dd>
243          <dt>Curing</dt>
244           <dd>Steady restoration of lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (to self and others) as a result of combat wounds. Neutralization of poisons, venoms, and toxins. Repair of serious battle-wounds.</dd>
245          <dt>Invisibility</dt>
246           <dd>Mask body heat and scent; hide effectively; mask sounds during movement; minor alterations of physical appearance.</dd>
247          <dt>Huntmastery</dt>
248           <dd>Effective hunting of food in the wild; increased agility; intensified vision, hearing, smell, and night vision.</dd>
249          <dt>Pathsmanship</dt>
250           <dd>Read languages, decipher symbols, read footprints and tracks. Intuitive knowledge of compass points; detection of enemy ambush up to 500 yards; ability to cross terrain without leaving tracks; converse with sentient creatures; mask self from psychic spells of detection.</dd>
251          <dt>Psi-surge</dt>
252           <dd>Attack enemies using the powers of the mind; set up disruptive vibrations in objects; confuse enemies.</dd>
253          <dt>Psi-screen</dt>
254           <dd>Defence against hypnosis, supernatural illusions, charms, hostile telepathy, and evil spirits. Ability to divert and re-channel hostile psychic energy.</dd>
255          <dt>Nexus</dt>
256           <dd>Move small items by projection of mind power; withstand extremes of temperature; extinguish fire by force of will; limited immunity to flames, toxic gases, and corrosive liquids.</dd>
257          <dt>Divination</dt>
258           <dd>Sense imminent danger; detect invisible or hidden enemy; telepathic communication; recognize magic-using and/or magical creatures; detect psychic residues; limited ability to leave body and spirit-walk.</dd>
259         </dl>
260        </data>
261       </section>
262
263       <p>Now, through the pursuit of your new skills and the further development of your innate Kai abilities, you have set out upon a path of discovery that no other Kai Grand Master has ever attempted with success. Your determination to become the first Kai Supreme Master, by acquiring total proficiency in all twelve of the Grand Master Disciplines, is an awe-inspiring challenge. You will be venturing into the unknown, pushing back the boundaries of human limitation in the pursuit of greatness and the cause of Good. May the blessings of the Gods Kai and Ishir go with you as you begin your brave and noble quest.</p>
264       <p>In the years following the demise of the Darklords you have reached the rank of Kai Grand Defender, which means that you have mastered <em>four</em> of the Grand Master Disciplines listed below. It is up to you to choose which four Disciplines these are. As all of the Grand Master Disciplines may be of use to you at some point during your adventure, pick your four skills with care. The correct use of a Grand Master Discipline at the right time could save your life.</p>
265       <p>When you have chosen your four Disciplines, enter them in the Grand Master Disciplines section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
266
267       <section class="frontmatter" id="wpnmstry">
268        <meta><title>Grand Weaponmastery</title></meta>
269        <data>
270
271          <illustration class="inline">
272           <meta>
273            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
274           </meta>
275           <instance class="html" src="wpnmast.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
276           <instance class="html-compatible" src="wpnmast.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
277           <instance class="pdf" src="wpnmast.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
278          </illustration>
279
280         <p>This Discipline enables a Grand Master to become supremely efficient in the use of all weapons. When you enter combat with one of your Grand Weaponmastery weapons, you add 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. The rank of Kai Grand Defender, with which you begin the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series, means you are supremely efficient in the use of <em>two</em> of the weapons listed below. For each book that you complete in the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series (Books 13<ch.endash/>20), you will gain mastery of an additional weapon. For example, if you complete <cite>The Plague Lords of Ruel</cite> and have the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery at the beginning of the next <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> book, you may choose an additional Weapon to gain mastery of.</p>
281          <illustration class="inline">
282           <meta>
283            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
284           </meta>
285           <instance class="html" src="weapons.png" width="386" height="310"  mime-type="image/png"/>
286           <instance class="html-compatible" src="weapons.gif" width="386" height="310"/>
287           <instance class="pdf" src="weapons.pdf" width="386" height="310"/>
288           <instance class="text" src="none" width="none" height="none" >
289            <ul class="unbulleted">
290             <li>Spear</li>
291             <li>Dagger</li>
292             <li>Mace</li>
293             <li>Short Sword</li>
294             <li>Warhammer</li>
295             <li>Bow</li>
296             <li>Quarterstaff</li>
297             <li>Broadsword</li>
298             <li>Axe</li>
299             <li>Sword</li>
300            </ul>
301           </instance>
302          </illustration>
303          <p>If you have the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, you may add 5 to any number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, when using the Bow.<footref id="discplnz-1" idref="discplnz-1-foot"/></p>
304        </data>
305       </section>
306
307       <section class="frontmatter" id="anmlmstr">
308        <meta><title>Animal Mastery</title></meta>
309        <data>
310
311          <illustration class="inline">
312           <meta>
313            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
314           </meta>
315           <instance class="html" src="anmlmast.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
316           <instance class="html-compatible" src="anmlmast.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
317           <instance class="pdf" src="anmlmast.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
318          </illustration>
319
320         <p>Grand Masters have considerable control over hostile, non-sentient creatures. Also, they have the ability to converse with birds and fishes, and use them as guides.</p>
321        </data>
322       </section>
323
324       <section class="frontmatter" id="deliver">
325        <meta><title>Deliverance (Advanced Curing)</title></meta>
326        <data>
327
328          <illustration class="inline">
329           <meta>
330            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
331           </meta>
332           <instance class="html" src="delvrance.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
333           <instance class="html-compatible" src="delvrance.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
334           <instance class="pdf" src="delvrance.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
335          </illustration>
336
337         <p>Grand Masters are able to use their healing power to repair serious battle-wounds. If, whilst in combat, their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is reduced to 8 points or less, they can draw upon their mastery to restore 20 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. This ability can only be used once every 20 days.</p>
338        </data>
339       </section>
340
341       <section class="frontmatter" id="assimila">
342        <meta><title>Assimilance (Advanced Invisibility)</title></meta>
343        <data>
344
345          <illustration class="inline">
346           <meta>
347            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
348           </meta>
349           <instance class="html" src="assmlnce.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
350           <instance class="html-compatible" src="assmlnce.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
351           <instance class="pdf" src="assmlnce.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
352          </illustration>
353
354         <p>Grand Masters are able to effect striking changes to their physical appearance, and maintain these changes over a period of a few days. They have also mastered advanced camouflage techniques that make them virtually undetectable in an open landscape.</p>
355        </data>
356       </section>
357
358       <section class="frontmatter" id="hntmstry">
359        <meta><title>Grand Huntmastery</title></meta>
360        <data>
361
362          <illustration class="inline">
363           <meta>
364            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
365           </meta>
366           <instance class="html" src="huntmstr.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
367           <instance class="html-compatible" src="huntmstr.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
368           <instance class="pdf" src="huntmstr.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
369          </illustration>
370
371         <p>Grand Masters are able to see in total darkness and have greatly heightened senses of touch and taste. If you have chosen the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery as one of your skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p>
372        </data>
373       </section>
374
375       <section class="frontmatter" id="pthmnshp">
376        <meta><title>Grand Pathsmanship</title></meta>
377        <data>
378
379          <illustration class="inline">
380           <meta>
381            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
382           </meta>
383           <instance class="html" src="pathsmn.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
384           <instance class="html-compatible" src="pathsmn.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
385           <instance class="pdf" src="pathsmn.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
386          </illustration>
387
388         <p>Grand Masters are able to resist entrapment by hostile plants and have a super-awareness of ambush, or the threat of ambush, in woods and dense forests.</p>
389        </data>
390       </section>
391
392       <section class="frontmatter" id="kaisurge">
393        <meta><title>Kai-surge</title></meta>
394        <data>
395
396          <illustration class="inline">
397           <meta>
398            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
399           </meta>
400           <instance class="html" src="ksurge.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
401           <instance class="html-compatible" src="ksurge.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
402           <instance class="pdf" src="ksurge.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
403          </illustration>
404
405         <p>When using their psychic ability to attack an enemy, Grand Masters may add 8 points to their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. For every round in which Kai-surge is used, Grand Masters need only deduct 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. When using the weaker psychic attack<ch.emdash/>Mindblast<ch.emdash/>they may add 4 points without loss of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. (Kai-surge, Psi-surge, and Mindblast cannot be used simultaneously.)</p>
406         <p>Grand Masters cannot use Kai-surge if their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score falls to 6 points or below.</p>
407        </data>
408       </section>
409
410       <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiscrn">
411        <meta><title>Kai-screen</title></meta>
412        <data>
413
414          <illustration class="inline">
415           <meta>
416            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
417           </meta>
418           <instance class="html" src="kscreen.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
419           <instance class="html-compatible" src="kscreen.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
420           <instance class="pdf" src="kscreen.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
421          </illustration>
422
423         <p>In psychic combat, Grand Masters are able to construct mind fortresses capable of protecting themselves and others. The strength and capacity of these fortresses increase as a Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
424        </data>
425       </section>
426
427       <section class="frontmatter" id="nexus">
428        <meta><title>Grand Nexus</title></meta>
429        <data>
430
431          <illustration class="inline">
432           <meta>
433            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
434           </meta>
435           <instance class="html" src="nexus.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
436           <instance class="html-compatible" src="nexus.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
437           <instance class="pdf" src="nexus.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
438          </illustration>
439
440         <p>Grand Masters are able to withstand contact with harmful elements, such as flames and acids, for upwards of an hour in duration. This ability increases as a Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
441        </data>
442       </section>
443
444       <section class="frontmatter" id="gnosis">
445        <meta><title>Telegnosis (Advanced Divination)</title></meta>
446        <data>
447
448          <illustration class="inline">
449           <meta>
450            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
451           </meta>
452           <instance class="html" src="telegnss.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
453           <instance class="html-compatible" src="telegnss.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
454           <instance class="pdf" src="telegnss.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
455          </illustration>
456
457         <p>This Discipline enables a Grand Master to spirit-walk for far greater lengths of time, and with far fewer ill effects. Duration and the protection of his inanimate body increase as a Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
458        </data>
459       </section>
460
461       <section class="frontmatter" id="magi">
462        <meta><title>Magi-magic</title></meta>
463        <data>
464
465          <illustration class="inline">
466           <meta>
467            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
468           </meta>
469           <instance class="html" src="magimagc.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
470           <instance class="html-compatible" src="magimagc.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
471           <instance class="pdf" src="magimagc.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
472          </illustration>
473
474         <p>Under the tutelage of Lord Rimoah, you have been able to master the rudimentary skills of battle-magic, as taught to the Vakeros<ch.emdash/>the native warriors of Dessi. These skills include the basic use of Old Kingdom Spells such as <spell>Shield</spell>, <spell>Power Word</spell>, and <spell>Invisible Fist</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Old Kingdom magic increase.</p>
475        </data>
476       </section>
477
478       <section class="frontmatter" id="alchemy">
479        <meta><title>Kai-alchemy</title></meta>
480        <data>
481
482          <illustration class="inline">
483           <meta>
484            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
485           </meta>
486           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
487           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
488           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
489          </illustration>
490
491         <p>Under the tutelage of Guildmaster Banedon, you have mastered the elementary spells of Left-handed magic, as practised by the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star. These spells include <spell>Lightning Hand</spell>, <spell>Levitation</spell>, and <spell>Mind Charm</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Left-handed magic increase, enabling you to craft new Kai weapons and artefacts.</p>
492        </data>
493       </section>
494
495       <p>If you successfully complete the mission as set in Book 15 of the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series, you may add a further Grand Master Discipline of your choice to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> in <bookref series="lw" book="16tlov">Book 16</bookref>.</p>
496
497       <p>For every Grand Master Discipline you possess, in excess of the original four Disciplines you begin with, you may add 1 point to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> score and 2 points to your basic <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score. These bonus points, together with your extra Grand Master Discipline(s), your original four Grand Master Disciplines, and any Special Items that you have found and been able to keep during your adventures, may then be carried over and used in the next <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> adventure, which is called <bookref series="lw" book="16tlov"><cite>The Legacy of Vashna</cite></bookref></p>
498      </data>
499     </section>
500
501     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
502      <meta>
503       <title>Equipment</title>
504       <link class="prev" idref="discplnz"/>
505       <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz"/>
506      </meta>
507
508      <data>
509       <p>Before you set off on your long journey to Lencia, you take with you a <a idref="map">map of the lands and territories of the Western Tentarias</a> and a pouch of gold. To find out how much gold is in the pouch, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add 20 to number you have picked. The total equals the number of Gold Crowns inside the pouch, and you should now enter this number in the <quote>Gold Crowns</quote> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
510       <p>If you have successfully completed any of the previous  <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures (Books 1<ch.endash/>14), you may add this sum to the total sum of Crowns you already possess. Fifty Crowns is the maximum you can carry, but additional Crowns can be left in safekeeping at your monastery.</p>
511       <p>You can take five items from the list below, again adding to these, if necessary, any you may already possess from previous adventures (remember, you are still limited to two Weapons, but you may now carry a maximum of ten Backpack Items).</p>
512       <ul class="paragraphed">
513        <li><p>Sword (Weapons)</p>
514         <illustration class="inline">
515          <meta>
516           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
517          </meta>
518          <instance class="html" src="sword.png" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/png"/>
519          <instance class="html-compatible" src="sword.gif" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
520          <instance class="pdf" src="sword.pdf" width="386" height="69"/>
521         </illustration>
522        </li>
523        <li><p>Bow (Weapons)</p>
524         <illustration class="inline">
525          <meta>
526           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
527          </meta>
528          <instance class="html" src="bow.png" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/png"/>
529          <instance class="html-compatible" src="bow.gif" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
530          <instance class="pdf" src="bow.pdf" width="386" height="64"/>
531         </illustration>
532        </li>
533        <li>
534         <p>Quiver (Special Items) This contains six Arrows: record them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
535         <illustration class="inline">
536          <meta>
537           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
538          </meta>
539          <instance class="html" src="quiver.png" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/png"/>
540          <instance class="html-compatible" src="quiver.gif" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
541          <instance class="pdf" src="quiver.pdf" width="386" height="127" />
542         </illustration>
543        </li>
544        <li><p>Axe (Weapons)</p>
545         <illustration class="inline">
546          <meta>
547           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
548          </meta>
549          <instance class="html" src="axe.png" width="386" height="112"  mime-type="image/png"/>
550          <instance class="html-compatible" src="axe.gif" width="386" height="112"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
551          <instance class="pdf" src="axe.pdf" width="386" height="112"/>
552         </illustration>
553        </li>
554        <li>
555         <p>4 Meals (Meals) Each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack.</p>
556          <illustration class="inline">
557           <meta>
558            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
559           </meta>
560           <instance class="html" src="food.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
561           <instance class="html-compatible" src="food.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
562           <instance class="pdf" src="food.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
563          </illustration>
564        </li>
565        <li>
566         <p>Rope (Backpack Item)</p>
567         <illustration class="inline">
568          <meta>
569           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
570          </meta>
571          <instance class="html" src="rope.png" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/png"/>
572          <instance class="html-compatible" src="rope.gif" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
573          <instance class="pdf" src="rope.pdf" width="386" height="109" />
574         </illustration>
575        </li>
576        <li>
577         <p>Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Item) This potion restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for only one dose.</p>
578         <illustration class="inline">
579          <meta>
580           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
581          </meta>
582          <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/png"/>
583          <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
584          <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" width="386" height="167" />
585         </illustration>
586        </li>
587        <li><p>Spear (Weapons)</p>
588         <illustration class="inline">
589          <meta>
590           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
591          </meta>
592          <instance class="html" src="spear.png" width="386" height="28"  mime-type="image/png"/>
593          <instance class="html-compatible" src="spear.gif" width="386" height="28"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
594          <instance class="pdf" src="spear.pdf" width="386" height="28" />
595         </illustration>
596        </li>
597        <li>
598         <p>Dagger (Weapons)</p>
599         <illustration class="inline">
600          <meta>
601           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
602          </meta>
603          <instance class="html" src="dagger.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
604          <instance class="html-compatible" src="dagger.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
605          <instance class="pdf" src="dagger.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
606         </illustration>
607        </li>
608       </ul>
609
610       <p>List the five items that you choose on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, under the appropriate headings, and make a note of any effect they may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points or <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
611
612       <section class="frontmatter" id="howcarry">
613        <meta>
614         <title>How to Carry Equipment</title>
615        </meta>
616
617        <data>
618         <p>Now that you have your equipment, the following list shows you how it is carried. You do not need to make notes, but you should refer back to this list in the course of your adventure.</p>
619         <ul>
620          <li>Sword<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
621          <li>Bow<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
622          <li>Quiver<ch.emdash/>slung over your shoulder.</li>
623          <li>Axe<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
624          <li>Meals<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
625          <li>Rope<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
626          <li>Potion of Laumspur<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
627          <li>Spear<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
628          <li>Dagger<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
629         </ul>
630        </data>
631       </section>
632
633       <section class="frontmatter" id="howmuch">
634        <meta>
635         <title>How Much Can You Carry?</title>
636        </meta>
637
638        <data>
639         <dl class="paragraphed">
640          <dt>Weapons</dt>
641           <dd><p>The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is <em>two</em>.</p></dd>
642          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
643           <dd><p>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may keep a maximum of only ten articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.</p></dd>
644          <dt>Special Items</dt>
645           <dd>
646            <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.</p>
647            <p>The maximum number of Special Items that can be carried on any adventure is twelve. Surplus Special Items may be left for safekeeping at your Kai Monastery.</p>
648          </dd>
649          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
650           <dd><p>These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty Crowns.</p></dd>
651          <dt>Food</dt>
652           <dd><p>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.</p></dd>
653         </dl>
654         <p>Any item that may be of use, and which can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> is given either initial capitals (e.g. Gold Dagger, Magic Pendant), or is clearly labelled as a Backpack Item. Unless you are told that it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.</p>
655        </data>
656       </section>
657
658       <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
659        <meta>
660         <title>How to Use Your Equipment</title>
661        </meta>
662
663        <data>
664         <dl class="paragraphed">
665          <dt>Weapons</dt>
666           <dd><p>The maximum number of Weapons that you can carry is two. Weapons aid you in combat. If you have the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery and a correct weapon, it adds 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you find a Weapon during your adventure, you may pick it up and use it. You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</p></dd>
667          <dt>Bows and Arrows</dt>
668           <dd>
669            <p>During your adventure there will be opportunities to use a Bow and Arrow. If you equip yourself with this weapon, and you possess at least one Arrow, you may use it when the text of a particular section allows you to do so. The Bow is a useful weapon, for it enables you to hit an enemy at a distance. However, a Bow cannot be used in hand-to-hand combat; therefore it is strongly recommended that you also equip yourself with a close combat weapon, such as a Sword or an Axe.</p>
670            <p>In order to use a Bow you must possess a Quiver and at least one Arrow. Each time the Bow is used, erase an Arrow from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. A Bow cannot, of course, be used if you exhaust your supply of Arrows, but the opportunity may arise during your adventure for you to replenish your stock of Arrows.</p>
671           </dd>
672          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
673           <dd><p>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may keep a maximum of ten articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time. You may only carry one Backpack at a time. During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may decide to keep. You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</p></dd>
674          <dt>Special Items</dt>
675           <dd>
676            <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how or where to carry it. The maximum number of Special Items that can be carried on any adventure is twelve.</p>
677           </dd>
678          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
679           <dd>
680            <p>These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty Crowns. The currency of Nyras is the Kika. The exchange rate is 10 Kika for 1 Gold Crown.</p>
681           </dd>
682          <dt>Food</dt>
683           <dd><p>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item. You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If you have chosen the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery as one of your skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p></dd>
684          <dt>Potion of Laumspur</dt>
685           <dd><p>This is a healing potion that can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for one dose only. If you discover any other potion during the adventure, you will be informed of its effect. All potions are Backpack Items.</p></dd>
686         </dl>
687        </data>
688       </section>
689      </data>
690     </section>
691
692     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
693      <meta>
694       <title>Rules for Combat</title>
695       <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
696       <link class="next" idref="levels" />
697      </meta>
698
699      <data>
700       <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s aim in the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible himself.</p>
701       <p>At the start of a combat, enter Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
702       <ol class="paragraphed">
703        <li><p>Add any extra points gained through your Grand Master Disciplines and Special Items to your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
704        <li>
705         <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
706         <p>Example</p>
707         <p>Lone Wolf (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 27) is attacked by a pack of Doomwolves (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 30). He is taken by surprise and is not given the opportunity of evading their attack. Lone Wolf has the Grand Master Discipline of Kai-surge to which the Doomwolves are not immune, so Lone Wolf adds 8 points to his <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>, giving him a total <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 35.</p>
708         <p>He subtracts the Doomwolf pack<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of +5. (35<ch.minus/>30 = +5). +5 is noted on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
709        </li>
710        <li><p><a id="stage3">When you have your Combat Ratio</a>, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
711        <li>
712         <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked (the random numbers appear on the side of the chart). You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Lone Wolf and his enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; LW represents points lost by Lone Wolf.)</p>
713         <p>Example</p>
714         <p>The Combat Ratio between Lone Wolf and the Doomwolf Pack has been established as +5. If the number picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 2, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
715         <ul>
716          <li>Lone Wolf loses 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (plus an additional 1 point for using Kai-surge).</li>
717          <li>Doomwolf Pack loses 7 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
718         </ul>
719        </li>
720        <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat.</p></li>
721        <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
722        <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
723       </ol>
724
725       <p>This process of combat continues until <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Lone Wolf are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Lone Wolf is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Lone Wolf proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
726       <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
727
728       <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
729        <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
730
731        <data>
732         <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only Lone Wolf may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round (but then that is the risk of running away!). You may evade only if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
733        </data>
734       </section>
735      </data>
736     </section>
737
738     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="levels">
739      <meta>
740       <title>Levels of Kai Grand Mastership</title>
741       <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
742       <link class="next" idref="imprvdsc" />
743      </meta>
744      <data>
745
746       <p>The following table is a guide to the ranks and titles you can achieve at each stage of your journey along the road of Kai Grand Mastership. As you successfully complete each adventure in the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> series, you will gain an additional Grand Master Discipline and progress towards the pinnacle of Kai perfection<ch.emdash/>to become a Kai Supreme Master.</p>
747
748       <ol>
749        <li>Kai Grand Master Senior</li>
750        <li>Kai Grand Master Superior</li>
751        <li>Kai Grand Sentinel</li>
752        <li>Kai Grand Defender<ch.emdash/><em>You begin the <cite>Lone Wolf Grand Master</cite> adventures at this level of Mastery</em></li>
753        <li>Kai Grand Guardian</li>
754        <li>Sun Knight</li>
755        <li>Sun Lord</li>
756        <li>Sun Thane</li>
757        <li>Grand Thane</li>
758        <li>Grand Crown</li>
759        <li>Sun Prince</li>
760        <li>Kai Supreme Master</li>
761       </ol>
762      </data>
763     </section>
764
765     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="imprvdsc">
766      <meta>
767       <title>Improved Grand Master Disciplines</title>
768       <link class="prev" idref="levels" />
769       <link class="next" idref="kaiwisdm" />
770      </meta>
771
772      <data>
773       <p>As you rise through the higher levels of Kai Grand Mastery, you will find that your Disciplines will steadily improve. For example, if you possess the Discipline of Grand Nexus when you reach the Grand Master rank of Grand Thane, you will be able to pass freely through Shadow Gates and explore the nether realms of Aon and the Daziarn Plane.</p>
774
775       <section class="frontmatter" id="guardian">
776        <meta><title>Kai Grand Guardian</title></meta>
777
778        <data>
779         <p>If you are a Grand Master who has reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian (5 Disciplines), you will now benefit from improvements to the following Grand Master Disciplines:</p>
780         <dl class="paragraphed">
781          <dt>Animal Mastery</dt>
782           <dd><p>Kai Grand Guardians with this Discipline are able to  summon a limited number of forest animals to their location. The creatures so summoned will become loyal and willing allies, willing to do the Kai Grand Guardian<ch.apos/>s bidding. This ability can only be used in an outdoor setting.</p></dd>
783          <dt>Assimilance</dt>
784           <dd><p>Kai Grand Guardians who possess this skill are able to create a cloud of fog-like vapour within 15 yards of their location. This fog will obscure both normal and infravision. The duration of the fog increases as a Grand Master rises in rank.</p></dd>
785          <dt>Grand Huntmastery</dt>
786           <dd><p>Kai Grand Guardians with this skill enjoy increased mobility when travelling across all types of terrain, whether on foot or on horseback. This improved ability is very useful when used to outdistance a pursuing enemy.</p></dd>
787          <dt>Kai-surge</dt>
788           <dd><p>Kai Grand Guardians who possess mastery of this Discipline are able to attack up to three enemies in psychic combat simultaneously.</p></dd>
789          <dt>Kai-screen</dt>
790           <dd><p>Kai Grand Guardians who possess this Discipline are able to exercise a defensive psychic skill known as Mindblend. This cloaking ability enables them to both protect and hide their minds from being detected by a hostile psychic probe.</p></dd>
791          <dt>Magi-magic</dt>
792           <dd>
793            <p>Grand Masters who have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian are able to use the following battle-spells of the Elder Magi:</p>
794            <ul>
795             <li><spell>Splinter</spell><ch.emdash/>This causes breakable items such as bottles, jugs, mirrors, windows, etc., to shatter to pieces. The range of this spell increases as a Grand Master rises in rank.</li>
796             <li><spell>Flameshaft</spell><ch.emdash/>This causes the tip of any arrow, or arrow-like missile, to burn fiercely with a magical flame which cannot readily be extinguished by normal means.</li>
797            </ul>
798           </dd>
799         </dl>
800        </data>
801       </section>
802
803       <section class="frontmatter" id="sunkght">
804        <meta><title>Sun Knight</title></meta>
805        <data>
806         <p>If you are a Grand Master who has reached the rank of Sun Knight (6 Disciplines), you will now benefit from improvements to the following Grand Master Disciplines:</p>
807         <dl class="paragraphed">
808          <dt>Grand Weaponmastery</dt>
809           <dd><p>Sun Knights with this Discipline are able to wield two-handed weapons (i.e. Broadsword, Quarterstaff, and Spear) with full effect, using only one hand.</p></dd>
810          <dt>Deliverance</dt>
811           <dd><p>Sun Knights who possess this skill are able to repair serious wounds sustained by creatures other than themselves. By the laying of hands upon the affected creature<ch.apos/>s body, a Sun Knight can cause an open wound (or other serious injury) to mend itself. The speed at which this healing takes place increases as a Grand Master rises in rank.</p></dd>
812          <dt>Grand Pathsmanship</dt>
813           <dd><p>Kai Sun Knights with this skill are able to repel at will all normal-sized insects within a radius of three yards. The range and number of insects so affected increase considerably as a Grand Master rises in rank.</p></dd>
814          <dt>Grand Nexus</dt>
815           <dd><p>Sun Knights who possess Mastery of this Discipline are able to feign death. By placing themselves into a state of suspended animation, outwardly they are able to achieve all semblance of being truly dead. However, whilst in this state the only sense that a Sun Knight retains is the ability to hear.</p></dd>
816          <dt>Telegnosis</dt>
817           <dd><p>Sun Knights who possess this Discipline are able to communicate telepathically over great distances. Initially the range of this ability is approximately 100 miles, but this distance increases as a Grand Master rises in rank.</p></dd>
818          <dt>Kai-alchemy</dt>
819           <dd>
820            <p>Grand Masters who have reached the rank of Sun Knight are able to use the following Brotherhood Spells:</p>
821            <ul>
822             <li><spell>Halt Missile</spell><ch.emdash/>This causes any projected or hurled missile (e.g. arrows, axes, crossbow bolts) which may pose an immediate threat to the life of a Sun Knight, to cease its flight and remain stationary in mid-air. The effect of the spell lasts for 2<ch.endash/>3 seconds, allowing the Sun Knight sufficient time to move away from its line of flight. Initially only one missile can be affected by this spell, but the number increases as a Grand Master rises in rank.</li>
823             <li><spell>Strength</spell><ch.emdash/>By casting this spell, a Sun Knight is able to greatly increase his or her physical strength for a short duration. It can be used to lift or move heavy objects, or to effect a temporary increase in <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> scores whilst fighting an enemy.</li>
824            </ul>
825           </dd>
826         </dl>
827         <p>The nature of any additional improvements and how they affect your Grand Master Disciplines will be noted in the Improved Grand Master Disciplines section of  future <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books.</p>
828        </data>
829       </section>
830
831      </data>
832     </section>
833
834    </data>
835   </section>
836
837   <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiwisdm">
838    <meta>
839     <title>Grand Master<ch.apos/>s Wisdom</title>
840     <link class="prev" idref="imprvdsc" />
841     <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
842    </meta>
843
844    <data>
845     <p>Your mission to thwart Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s quest for the Doomstone of Darke will be fraught with deadly dangers. Be wary and on your guard at all times, for the warriors of Nyras are still a formidable enemy despite their recent defeats on the battlefields of the Western Tentarias.</p>
846     <p>Some of the things that you will find during your mission will be of use to you in this and future <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books, while others may be red herrings of no real value at all. If you discover items, be selective in what you choose to keep.</p>
847     <p>Pick your Grand Master Disciplines with care, for a wise choice will enable any player to complete the quest, no matter how weak their initial <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> scores may be. Successful completion of previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures, although an advantage, is not essential for the completion of this Grand Master adventure.</p>
848     <p>The lives of thousands of Lencian crusaders besieging the city of Darke and, ultimately, the final outcome of their war against the hated Drakkarim depends on the success of your mission. May the light of Kai and Ishir be your guide as you venture into the Helotry of Nyras.</p>
849     <p>For Sommerlund and the Kai!</p>
850    </data>
851   </section>
852
853   <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
854    <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
855
856    <data>
857
858     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
859      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
860
861      <data>
862       <p>Having pledged your help, you commence preparations for your long journey to Lencia. You have many things you wish to attend to before you depart and so you invite Lord Floras, the Lencian envoy, to enjoy the hospitality of the monastery for a few days in order that you can settle your most pressing obligations. To your surprise he declines your invitation and insists that you leave at once, for he is anxious to return immediately to his distant homeland. Respectfully he reminds you that time does not favour your quest. By ship and by horse his journey to the monastery took more than a month to complete, and with Magnaarn already so near to finding the Doomstone of Darke, he fears that further delays could prove disastrous.</p>
863
864       <illustration class="inline">
865        <meta>
866         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
867        </meta>
868        <instance class="html" src="small10.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
869        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small10.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
870        <instance class="pdf" src="small10.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
871       </illustration>
872
873       <p>Mindful of the great distance which needs to be traversed you hurriedly dispatch a journeyman to Toran. He carries your request for help which is addressed to Lord Rimoah, your most trusted friend and advisor, who is presently attending to Guildmaster Banedon in his convalescence. Early next morning Lord Rimoah arrives at the monastery in person, aboard the vessel that is to be the answer to your dilemma: <cite>Skyrider</cite><ch.emdash/>Banedon<ch.apos/>s flying ship.</p>
874       <p>Warmly you greet your old friend, and then you introduce him formally to Lord Floras. The two talk at length about the war in the west, and Rimoah concludes the discussion by voicing his approval of your decision to go to King Sarnac<ch.apos/>s aid. Then he offers some words of warning.</p>
875       <p><quote>Be in no doubt, Grand Master,</quote> he says, <quote>this mission you have chosen to fulfil will be as perilous as any you have undertaken in the past. Magnaarn is a cunning adversary and this stone he seeks is possessed of a deadly evil. Do not underestimate your enemy. If he should succeed in his quest then I fear the lands of the Western Tentarias will never be at peace.</quote></p>
876       <choice idref="sect140"><link-text>Turn to 140</link-text>.</choice>
877      </data>
878     </section>
879
880     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
881      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
882
883      <data>
884       <p>As you search the smouldering ruins, you discover little has survived the fire which, at its height, must have transformed this town into a blazing inferno. The charred bones and skulls of those who died in the battle are strewn everywhere, and no attempt has been made to bury them. You are examining the remains of a Drakkarim sword when suddenly you hear Schera calling you. His voice is full of urgency. You discard the sword and hurry back to the main street to find out what is wrong.</p>
885
886       <illustration class="inline">
887        <meta>
888         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
889        </meta>
890        <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/png"/>
891        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
892        <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="121" />
893       </illustration>
894
895       <choice idref="sect184"><link-text>Turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
896      </data>
897     </section>
898
899     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
900      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
901
902      <data>
903       <p>You deal the ice a mighty blow and it splits wide open. For a moment you fear you are already too late to save your guide; then suddenly his head bobs out of the icy water and you grab hold of his collar before he disappears once again.</p>
904       <p>You haul him out of the lake and lay him on the frozen surface. His skin is a deep shade of violet and his entire body is shaking uncontrollably. You know that he is in serious condition but at least he is still alive. Using your healing skills, you transmit some of your body warmth through your hands to his chest and face and, within a few minutes, he comes out of shock and his body returns to its normal temperature. Your prompt action has saved his life, but it has also drained you of 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
905       <choice idref="sect157">Adjust your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score accordingly and then <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
906      </data>
907     </section>
908
909     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
910      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
911
912      <data>
913       <p>As the last of the trench-troopers falls lifelessly to the muddy floor of the dugout, Prarg appears by your side, sheathing his bloodstained sword.</p>
914       <p><quote>Come, sire. We still have the advantage. We best use it before the Drakkarim discover what has happened here.</quote></p>
915       <p>Keen to maintain the element of surprise, you quickly leave the trench and rush across the remaining strip of open ground which separates you from the town<ch.apos/>s outlying dwellings. Prarg points ahead, to an alleyway that lies sandwiched between two burnt-out hovels, and immediately you follow as he rushes towards its shadowy entrance.</p>
916       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
917      </data>
918     </section>
919
920     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
921      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
922
923      <footnotes>
924       <footnote id="sect5-1-foot" idref="sect5-1">
925        <p>This section represents the correct answer to the dragon door lock in <a idref="sect221">Section 221</a>.</p>
926       </footnote>
927      </footnotes>
928
929      <data>
930       <p>There is a dull <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> and the great iron door swings slowly to reveal a dark chamber constructed entirely of polished black rock.<footref id="sect5-1" idref="sect5-1-foot"/> Revealed in the torchlight is a throne of rough-hewn marble, upon which there rests the skeletal remains of a warrior clad in mouldering furs. Bare bone gleams dully through a clinging mass of muscle and sinew, now shrunken to an iron-hard texture, and upon its skull there rests a helm of solid gold. Set into the face of this helm is an emerald as large as your fist.</p>
931
932       <illustration class="float">
933        <meta>
934         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
935         <description>Upon a throne of rough-hewn marble rests the remains of a warrior clad in mouldering furs.</description>
936        </meta>
937        <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/png"/>
938        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
939        <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="632" />
940       </illustration>
941
942       <p>Prarg approaches the throne, tempted by the magnificent emerald, but he halts the moment you warn him that the helm is protected by a magical trap. You sense that a powerful spell of warding encircles the throne; to touch the crown would activate the spell, thereby unleashing a blast of destructive energy. The thought of being blown to atoms serves to dampen Prarg<ch.apos/>s curiosity and sheepishly he returns to your side. You give the booby-trapped throne a wide berth and leave the chamber by a smooth-walled tunnel in the far wall. But you have taken no more than a dozen steps when a chill of premonition runs like a trickle of icy cold water down your spine. You halt and reach for your weapon.</p>
943       <p>Then a loud voice booms out, destroying the silence.</p>
944       <p><quote>Welcome, Lone Wolf. Welcome to your tomb!</quote></p>
945       <p>Instinctively you know that it is the voice of Warlord Magnaarn.</p>
946       <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
947      </data>
948     </section>
949
950     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
951      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
952
953      <data>
954       <p>Rising into view at the top of the stairs comes another Tunnel Stalker, the mate of the one you encountered earlier. Mindful of that combat, you decide to seize the initiative and attack this beast before it reaches the top of the stairs.</p>
955       <combat><enemy>Tunnel Stalker</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
956       <p>Because of the speed of your attack, and the advantage of fighting from higher ground, increase your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> score by 3 points for the duration of this fight.</p>
957       <choice idref="sect91">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
958      </data>
959     </section>
960
961     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
962      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
963
964      <data>
965       <p>You raise your weapon and steady yourself as the two Ciquali clamber over the gunwale. For a moment they glare at you with hideous, bulging eyes, their throat sacs swelling and collapsing rapidly as they approach the moment to strike. Then, with a shrill screech, they spring simultaneously towards your chest.</p>
966       <combat><enemy>Ciquali</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">32</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">28</enemy-attribute></combat>
967       <choice idref="sect148">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
968      </data>
969     </section>
970
971     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
972      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
973
974      <data>
975       <p>The scout places two fingers to his lips and gives a long, warbling whistle. The sound makes the mercenaries spin around and stare in your direction, and you hear one of them whistling twice in reply. Your scout then asks that you be allowed to enter their camp. There is a long pause; then a heavily-accented voice replies, <quote>Show yourselves.</quote></p>
976       <p>Relief that you are human, and not Drakkarim, is displayed clearly on the faces of these League-landers when the four of you stand up and walk slowly towards their camp. They offer their apologies for firing on you and one suggests that he escort you to meet their leader Baron Maquin. Politely you accept his offer.</p>
977       <choice idref="sect294"><link-text>Turn to 294</link-text>.</choice>
978      </data>
979     </section>
980
981     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
982      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
983
984      <data>
985       <p>You focus a ball of psychic energy at the advancing creature and unleash it with unexpected results. The beast possesses phenomenal natural psychic abilities which absorb the shock of your attack, enabling it to shrug off a mental assault which would devastate many creatures twice its size.</p>
986       <choice idref="sect297"><link-text>Turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
987      </data>
988     </section>
989
990     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
991      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
992
993      <data>
994       <p>You search through the many cases and boxes which lie scattered around this cluttered cabin, and you discover the following which may be of use to you during your mission:</p>
995       <ul>
996        <li>Signet Ring</li>
997        <li>Bow</li>
998        <li>3 Arrows</li>
999        <li>Sword</li>
1000        <li>2 Potions of Laumspur (each restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points)</li>
1001        <li>Hourglass</li>
1002        <li>Brass Key</li>
1003        <li>Dagger</li>
1004       </ul>
1005       <p>If you decide to keep any of the above, remember to make the necessary adjustments to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
1006       <choice idref="sect277">To continue, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
1007      </data>
1008     </section>
1009
1010     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
1011      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
1012
1013      <data>
1014       <p>Beyond the portal you discover a narrow flight of stone steps. Quickly you climb these stairs, spurred on by the wintry chill which grows steadily colder as you ascend. You count fifty steps before you eventually arrive at a chamber which is heaped with rubble. Its only door is blocked by debris and huge slabs of marble, making an immediate exit impossible. But it is not the door which commands your attention; it is a narrow circular shaft which is set into the middle of the ceiling. It is the source of the cold, wintry draught.</p>
1015       <p>Expectantly, you step closer and investigate this shaft. For the most part it is dark, but you can see glimmers of grey daylight high above, and you can hear the whistling of the wind. But you can also hear another sound, one that is quite unexpected. It is a buzzing, insectile noise. You focus upon the darkness and suddenly you see that the noise comes from nests of winged insects which are fixed all along the inside of the shaft.</p>
1016       <choice idref="sect240">If you possess Grand Pathsmanship and have reached the rank of Sun Knight, <link-text>turn to 240</link-text>.</choice>
1017       <choice idref="sect281">If you do not possess this Discipline or have yet to reach this level of Kai rank, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1018      </data>
1019     </section>
1020
1021     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
1022      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
1023
1024      <data>
1025       <p>You step away from the two dead Tukodak, sheathe your weapon and turn around to find Prarg standing by your side. He thanks you for saving him from the Tukodak<ch.apos/>s spear and then he helps you to hide the bodies of the two slain guards beneath some undergrowth in the surrounding ruins. Before you leave them, a quick search of their packs and pockets reveals the following items:</p>
1026       <ul class="unbulleted">
1027        <li>Enough food for 1 Meal</li>
1028        <li>Dagger</li>
1029        <li>2 Swords</li>
1030        <li>Bow</li>
1031        <li>4 Arrows</li>
1032       </ul>
1033       <p>If you wish to take and keep any of the above items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1034       <choice idref="sect221">To enter the unguarded tower, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
1035      </data>
1036     </section>
1037
1038     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
1039      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
1040
1041      <data>
1042       <p>As the deadly crossbow bolts scream towards you and the captain, you open your hand and thrust your palm into Prarg<ch.apos/>s back, pushing him forward. This swift action saves him from the first bolt, but it robs you of time in which to react to the second. It strikes and red-hot pain flares up your arm as the iron-tipped bolt gouges a deep furrow of flesh from the back of your wrist: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1043       <p>The lookouts fumble with their crossbows, desperate to fire again but before they can reload you have disappeared along the beach. Shortly you reach a small secluded cove where Prarg discovers a rusty anchor. It is a landmark, left on purpose by agents of King Sarnac to point the way to the cave where they have left your boat and provisions. You find the cave and together you haul the boat down the beach and raise its coal-black sail before pushing it out into the icy waters of the Tentarias.</p>
1044       <p>Once aboard you trim the sail whilst Prarg takes charge of the rudder. There is a good wind and within minutes your tiny craft is bobbing towards the far western channel of the Hellswamp, twenty miles distant. You ask Prarg if this dark estuary has a name, and he replies, <quote>Yes. The Drakkarim call it <quote>Dakushna<ch.apos/>s Channel</quote> after the Darklord who once commanded the city-fortress of Kagorst. They say it is a fitting dedication, for the waterway is as deadly and as treacherous as the creature after whom it is named.</quote></p>
1045       <choice idref="sect60"><link-text>Turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
1046      </data>
1047     </section>
1048
1049     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
1050      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
1051
1052      <data>
1053       <p>During your trek through the forest, Prarg tells you a little about the history of this land. You learn that the whole of Nyras was once known as Northern Lencia until it was lost to the invading Drakkarim during the Darkdawn War. Many crusades and campaigns have been launched over the centuries to try to recapture this territory, but none, until now, have been successful. The Drakkarim built a fortress on the ruins of the Lencian capital, which was called Gamir, which they renamed Nagamir after their victory. But later, when the Drakkarim allied themselves to the Darklords of Helgedad, the capital was renamed Darke in their honour.</p>
1054       <p>As dusk approaches, you happen by chance upon a forest trail and immediately your tracking skills tell you that it has only recently been constructed. Hoof prints frozen beneath the snow and several sets of footprints tell you that this trail has been used by more than a dozen riders and armoured foot soldiers within the last week.</p>
1055       <choice idref="sect308">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
1056       <choice idref="sect45">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
1057      </data>
1058     </section>
1059
1060     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
1061      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
1062
1063      <data>
1064       <p>Prarg rushes towards the dying Drakkar and, before he can sound his horn, he deals him a killing blow.</p>
1065       <p><quote>Quick, Sire,</quote> he says, sheathing his sword. <quote>Let us away from here lest this knight is not alone.</quote></p>
1066       <p>You leap over the corpse and run down the corridor following closely on the heels of your companion. Soon you come to a junction where you are forced to choose a direction, left or right. You call upon your Kai skills and immediately you sense a strong presence of evil lurking at the end of the right-hand passage. You focus on the source of this evil and determine it is the Doomstone. You tell Prarg, and together you advance along the passage until you reach a closed door.</p>
1067       <choice idref="sect214">If you possess Grand Huntmastery or Grand Pathsmanship, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
1068       <choice idref="sect229">If you possess neither of these Disciplines, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
1069      </data>
1070     </section>
1071
1072     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
1073      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
1074
1075      <data>
1076       <p>You wait as two Drakkarim on horseback come riding past the cabin; then, as soon as the coast is clear, you leap from the ditch and sprint through a gap in the log wall. The moment you reach the cabin you press yourself flat against its rough timbers and peer cautiously through its grimy window.</p>
1077       <p>The cabin is not empty. Inside, you see a Drakkarim sergeant stretching for a bottle of wine that stands on a high shelf. He takes it down, pulls out the cork, and helps himself to a long gulp of the glistening, ruby-red liquid. Behind him you can see the edge of the table; his body is obscuring the map.</p>
1078       <choice idref="sect266">If you wish to enter the cabin and attack the soldier while he is distracted, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
1079       <choice idref="sect124">If you choose to remain where you are and continue your observations, <link-text>turn to 124</link-text>.</choice>
1080      </data>
1081     </section>
1082
1083     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
1084      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
1085
1086      <data>
1087       <p>You fix your eyes on the speeding arrow and incant the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Halt Missile</spell>. For a few seconds the shaft freezes in mid-air; then it resumes flight and passes harmlessly across the rear of the boat. You hear gasps of astonishment from the Drakkarim, and more than one utters the word <foreign xml:lang="x-giak"><quote>Ziran</quote></foreign><ch.emdash/>the Giak for <quote>Wizard</quote>. As you disappear rapidly downstream, you see the renegades scrambling up the muddy bank in a desperate attempt to get away, having convinced themselves that you are a powerful sorcerer!</p>
1088       <p>Your voyage continues without further interruption until, later in the afternoon, you catch sight of a town on the horizon. You check your <a idref="map">map</a> and discover it to be Konozod, a fortified Drakkarim stronghold. As the river carries you closer, you magnify your vision and see that it is built upon the left bank of the Shug. A huge stone bridge spans the river, and beneath this you see that the waterway is blocked by a barrier of chained logs.</p>
1089       <choice idref="sect314">If you wish to allow your boat to drift towards this barrier, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1090       <choice idref="sect231">If you wish to avoid the barrier, you can put ashore and continue on foot by <link-text>turning to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1091      </data>
1092     </section>
1093
1094     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
1095      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
1096
1097      <data>
1098       <p>With brave determination you begin the laborious task of clearing away the rock and rubble which fills this stairway. You are fearful that it may take you several days to reach the next level and so it comes as a welcome surprise when, after just a few minutes<ch.apos/> work, you see a gap appearing at the top of the mound. A gust of cold, wintry air wafts through this breach, rekindling your hopes of reaching the surface. Revived by the cold clean air, you attack the rubble with renewed vigour. But then your hopes are shaken when you hear a sinister sound; behind you, a Tunnel Stalker is climbing the stairs to the landing.</p>
1099       <choice idref="sect256">If you possess Kai-alchemy and have reached the rank of Sun Knight, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1100       <choice idref="sect6">If you do not possess this Discipline or have yet to reach this level of Kai Mastery, <link-text>turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
1101      </data>
1102     </section>
1103
1104     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
1105      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
1106
1107      <data>
1108       <p>Using your advanced Kai skills you conjure up a cloud of fog which completely obscures you from the sight of the approaching lookouts.</p>
1109       <p><quote>Hurry, captain!</quote> you whisper, as you pull Prarg to his feet. <quote>We must get away before the wind destroys our screen.</quote></p>
1110       <p>The lookouts stumble into the fog and you hear them cursing as you make good your escape along the beach. You soon outdistance them and, a few minutes later, you happen upon a small secluded cove where Captain Prarg, to his delight, discovers a rusty anchor. At first you cannot fathom why this should please him so; then he tells you that it is a landmark, left on purpose by agents of King Sarnac to point the way to the cave where they have left your boat and provisions. You find the cave and together you haul the boat down the beach and raise its coal-black sail before pushing it out into the icy waters of the Tentarias.</p>
1111       <p>Once aboard, you trim the sail whilst Prarg takes charge of the rudder. There is a good wind and within minutes your tiny craft is bobbing towards the far western channel of the Hellswamp, twenty miles distant. You ask Prarg if this dark estuary has a name, and he replies, <quote>Yes. The Drakkarim call it <quote>Dakushna<ch.apos/>s Channel</quote> after the Darklord who once commanded the city-fortress of Kagorst. They say it is a fitting dedication, for the waterway is as deadly and as treacherous as the being after whom it is named.</quote></p>
1112       <choice idref="sect60"><link-text>Turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
1113      </data>
1114     </section>
1115
1116     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
1117      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
1118
1119      <data>
1120       <p>Towards you stalks a great albino creature as big as a bear. Two huge tusks protrude from its dripping jaws, and it yawns hungrily as slowly it draws closer and closer to you and your companion, attracted by the prospect of easy prey. The beast coughs and advances yet another step, its stubby tail twitching angrily. Prarg panics and he shouts <quote>Run!</quote> as it fixes him with its fearsome pink eyes. Then the creature senses his fear and at once it comes bounding towards you with its great jaws agape in readiness to bite.</p>
1121
1122       <illustration class="float">
1123        <meta>
1124         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1125         <description>A great bear-like creature stalks towards you, two huge tusks protruding from its dripping jaws.</description>
1126        </meta>
1127        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1128        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1129        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="632" />
1130       </illustration>
1131
1132       <choice idref="sect76">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1133       <choice idref="sect217">If you do not have a Bow or choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
1134      </data>
1135     </section>
1136
1137     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
1138      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
1139
1140      <data>
1141       <p>With bated breath you watch as the cavalry approaches. You recognize them to be Zagganozod, a unit of armoured Drakkarim cavalry of a type you once encountered many years ago, during a quest that took you to the land of Eru.</p>
1142       <p>The enemy horsemen reach the road where they draw their mounts to a halt. They exchange a few words, and then they turn their horses towards Darke and gallop away towards the battle that is raging around its walls. As soon as they are out of earshot, Schera and Maquin<ch.apos/>s men let out a collective sigh of relief.</p>
1143       <choice idref="sect234"><link-text>Turn to 234</link-text>.</choice>
1144      </data>
1145     </section>
1146
1147     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
1148      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
1149
1150      <data>
1151       <p>A barricade has been thrown across the road which leads north out of Shugkona. The Drakkarim posted here have been alerted by the sounds of chaos coming from the square, and hurriedly they are trundling an armoured wagon across a gap at the centre of the barricade to seal off the exit completely. You slap your horse<ch.apos/>s rump and gallop towards this shrinking gap, but three spear-wielding guards see you approaching, and they rush forward to challenge you with their weapons held ready to strike.</p>
1152       <choice idref="sect332">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
1153       <choice idref="sect312">If you possess Kai-surge and have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian or higher, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
1154       <choice idref="sect289">If you possess neither of these skills or have yet to reach the required level of Kai Grand Mastership, <link-text>turn instead to 289</link-text>.</choice>
1155      </data>
1156     </section>
1157
1158     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
1159      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
1160
1161      <data>
1162       <p>Schera wakes you shortly before dawn and wearily you rise from your makeshift bed. Mindful of the journey ahead, you make a brief search of the armoury and discover a few weapons, and other items which could prove useful:</p>
1163       <ul class="unbulleted">
1164       <li>6 Arrows</li>
1165       <li>Quiver</li>
1166       <li>Dagger</li>
1167       <li>Sword</li>
1168       <li>Spear</li>
1169       </ul>
1170       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1171       <p>The captain sends word to his men to find boats for the voyage downstream. The order is duly carried out and, within the hour, twenty small craft have been brought to the icy river on the west side of the stone bridge. Schera appoints ten men to each craft; then you and he step aboard the first boat, cast off, and begin a voyage that will take you towards the coastal city of Darke.</p>
1172       <p>The current is strong and the river is free of obstructions, enabling your flotilla to make swift progress downstream. Much of the river bank is lightly wooded and Schera commands everyone to remain vigilant in case there are Drakkarim among the trees, lying in ambush. You pass through the woods without incident, and shortly before noon, you see the ruined town of Odnenga in the distance. Every building has been razed to the ground and a pall of wood smoke hangs above the town, fed by fires still smouldering from a battle that took place here several days ago. The river here is blocked by debris and you are forced to put ashore. Schera<ch.apos/>s men set to work clearing a passage, while you and the captain scout the ruins in search of information.</p>
1173
1174       <illustration class="inline">
1175        <meta>
1176         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1177        </meta>
1178        <instance class="html" src="small14.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1179        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small14.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1180        <instance class="pdf" src="small14.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1181       </illustration>
1182
1183       <p>A soot-blackened road, running east to west, divides this shattered town into two halves. Schera suggests that you split up and search one half each and you nod in agreement.</p>
1184       <choice idref="sect2">If you wish to search the north side of this ruined town, <link-text>turn to 2</link-text>.</choice>
1185       <choice idref="sect296">If you choose to search the south side, <link-text>turn to 296</link-text>.</choice>
1186      </data>
1187     </section>
1188
1189     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
1190      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
1191
1192      <data>
1193       <p>As you land your killing blow, the Mawtaw shrieks an unearthly cry and falls to the ground, shivering and twitching fitfully. Then, with unnerving abruptness, it stiffens and lies still. Prarg immediately awakens from his hypnotic trance and, to your surprise, you discover that he has no memory at all of what has happened in the last hour.</p>
1194       <p>Quickly you hurry away from the carcass of the slain Mawtaw and press on deeper into the forest. Your instinct and Pathsmanship skills lead you in a northerly direction and you cover more than five miles before the trees begin to thin out. Then you emerge from the forest to be greeted by a spectacular sight.</p>
1195       <choice idref="sect192"><link-text>Turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
1196      </data>
1197     </section>
1198
1199     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
1200      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
1201
1202      <footnotes>
1203       <footnote id="sect25-1-foot" idref="sect25-1">
1204        <p>Only turn to <a idref="sect315">Section 315</a> if you met Captain Prarg at the Battle of Cetza.</p>
1205       </footnote>
1206      </footnotes>
1207
1208      <data>
1209       <p>You are ushered into a lavish chamber that is hung with Lencian flags and decorated with exotic fineries from the far-flung corners of Magnamund. All around guardsmen stand rigidly to attention, their eyes watchful and unblinking behind their silver visors as you approach the high-backed throne which dominates the centre of the room. There before you sits King Sarnac, his silver-grey hair framing a benign face that is still lean and firm despite advancing years.</p>
1210       <p><quote>Welcome, Grand Master,</quote> he says, as he rises from his throne and offers his hand in friendship. <quote>I prayed that you would come to Lencia, to help in the defeat of that cur, Magnaarn, but I did not imagine that you would arrive so soon. You are most welcome.</quote></p>
1211       <p>Gladly you acknowledge the King<ch.apos/>s greeting and, after he has commended and dismissed Lord Floras, you adjourn with him to an antechamber where he tells you about the mission ahead.</p>
1212       <p><quote>Latest reports from my spies and scouts in the north say that Magnaarn is presently at his army headquarters in Shugkona. Drakkarim have been seen combing a region of the Tozaz Forest fifty miles to the north of his headquarters. We think that this is where he believes he<ch.apos/>ll find the Doomstone of Darke. There are many ancient temples in this area<ch.ellips/>perhaps one is harbouring that evil gem.</quote></p>
1213
1214       <illustration class="inline">
1215        <meta>
1216         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1217        </meta>
1218        <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1219        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1220        <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1221       </illustration>
1222
1223       <p>The King pauses for a few moments to take some refreshment. From a jewel-encrusted pitcher, he pours two glasses of wine and proffers one to you before continuing. Gratefully you accept and politely you sip the rare vintage whilst listening to the King<ch.apos/>s plan of action.</p>
1224       <p><quote>Grand Master,</quote> he says, fixing you with his powerful gaze, <quote>if you are to thwart Magnaarn you must travel to Shugkona and seek him out. He must be killed, or failing this, the infernal Doomstone must be destroyed before he can use it against us. Secrecy is paramount if your mission is to succeed; therefore no attempt to approach Shugkona directly can be made. The lines of battle are drawn up to within fifty miles of that stronghold and the region is alive with Drakkarim. Yet there is still one means of approach that the enemy will not be guarding. I have made provision for a boat to take you to a place we call <quote>Bear Rock</quote>. It lies on the River Gourneni and is only thirty miles from Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s headquarters. However, there is one complication<ch.ellips/>to reach the river you must first enter the Hellswamp.</quote></p>
1225       <p>The thought of venturing into that terrible mire fills you with a cold dread, for the Hellswamp is notoriously perilous. King Sarnac recognizes your apprehension and quickly he tries to assuage your fears.</p>
1226       <p><quote>I understand your anxiety, Grand Master, but rest assured that you will not be entering alone. One of my finest officers will be your guide throughout this mission. He has scouted this route before and he knows how to avoid its many dangers. Once you reach Bear Rock he will guide you through the forest to Shugkona. There you must find out where Magnaarn is and do whatever is necessary to foil his quest. Once your mission has been accomplished, my officer will bring you through our battle lines and see you safely back here to Vadera.</quote></p>
1227       <p>The king reaches for a cord which hangs from a hole in the domed ceiling. He tugs it and a bell tinkles in a distant part of the citadel.</p>
1228       <p><quote>Now, Grand Master,</quote> he says, turning to face the door of the antechamber, <quote>the time has come for me to introduce your guide.</quote></p>
1229       <choice idref="sect315">If you took part in the Battle of Cetza in a previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventure,<footref id="sect25-1" idref="sect25-1-foot"/> <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
1230       <choice idref="sect123">If you have not taken part in this battle, <link-text>turn to 123</link-text>.</choice>
1231      </data>
1232     </section>
1233
1234     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
1235      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
1236
1237      <data>
1238       <p>You hurry along this tunnel, passing in your stride many fissures which have opened up the stone floor and shattered the walls. It ends at a ruined staircase which leads to a landing where you are confronted by the corpse of a Drakkarim guard. It is slumped beside a mound of rubble which is blocking the stairs to the level above. A quick examination of the dead body reveals that both arms are broken. Injured and trapped here by the rockfall, it appears that this guard eventually died of thirst.</p>
1239       <choice idref="sect247">If you wish to search the body further, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
1240       <choice idref="sect347">If you wish to attempt to clear away the rubble that is blocking the stairs, <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
1241      </data>
1242     </section>
1243
1244     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
1245      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
1246
1247      <data>
1248       <p>Guided by your instincts, you take the Silver Rod from your pocket and insert it into the lock. It is a perfect fit. Silently the lock disengages and the door swings open to reveal two Tukodak guards, both standing with their backs to you. One feels a draught and glances over his shoulder, but before he can draw a weapon or warn his comrade, you leap forward and silence them with two swift and deadly open-handed blows to the napes of their necks.</p>
1249       <choice idref="sect83"><link-text>Turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
1250      </data>
1251     </section>
1252
1253     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
1254      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
1255
1256      <data>
1257       <p>You crash down upon the unsuspecting lancer and send him tumbling from the saddle. Then you seize control of his startled horse and take off across the square. With your left hand you unholster the lance and bring it to bear as you gallop headlong towards the mass of Drakkarim soldiers who stand between you and the platform.</p>
1258       <choice idref="sect63"><link-text>Turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
1259      </data>
1260     </section>
1261
1262     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
1263      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
1264
1265      <data>
1266       <p>Unfortunately, you do not cast the spell quickly enough to block the Drakkar<ch.apos/>s arrow and it hits you squarely in the upper chest, knocking you flat on your back: lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1267       <p>Bravely you take hold of the arrow and wrench it from your chest. Then, using your innate healing skills, you manage to staunch the bleeding. For nearly an hour you lie in the bottom of the boat staring at the grey sky, allowing the river to carry you downstream, and when eventually you pull yourself upright, you find that the Drakkarim renegades are no longer in sight.</p>
1268       <p>Your voyage continues without further incident until, later in the afternoon, you catch sight of a town on the horizon. You check your <a idref="map">map</a> and discover it to be Konozod, a fortified Drakkarim stronghold. As the river carries you closer, you magnify your vision and see that it is built upon the left bank of the Shug. A huge stone bridge spans the river, and beneath this you see that the waterway is blocked by a barrier of chained logs.</p>
1269       <choice idref="sect314">If you wish to allow your boat to drift towards this barrier, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1270       <choice idref="sect231">If you decide to avoid the barrier, you can put ashore and continue on foot by <link-text>turning to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1271      </data>
1272     </section>
1273
1274     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
1275      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
1276
1277      <data>
1278       <p>After several unsuccessful attempts to open this lock, you abandon the door and leave the chamber. You are fearful of what may happen if you stay here any longer and so you retrace your steps to the place where you first emerged from the collapsed passage. You pause here for a few minutes to catch your breath; then you continue along the tunnel until, once more, you find yourself standing at the edge of the chasm. You scan this vast and dismal fissure, hoping to find a way to escape from this grim subterranean prison.</p>
1279       <choice idref="sect340">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1280       <choice idref="sect138">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1281      </data>
1282     </section>
1283
1284     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1285      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1286
1287      <data>
1288       <p>Uncertainty haunts your thoughts as you race across the desolate no man<ch.apos/>s land that lies between the inner and outer defences of Shugkona. Soon you catch sight of these outer defences. They comprise a line of man-sized wooden casks filled with earth, behind which there stands a squad of Drakkarim archers. Their bows are loaded and aimed, ready to fire.</p>
1289       <p>Quickly you steer your horse away from the road and set off across rough, snowy ground towards a distant line of trenches. Fortunately, the defences at the northern perimeter are much weaker than elsewhere. The trenches are empty, the guards having left earlier to watch Prarg<ch.apos/>s execution in the main square. However, the rough terrain soon takes its toll upon your already tired horse. He is near to exhaustion, and as you approach the trenches, you fear he is not strong enough to make the jump.</p>
1290       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Animal Mastery, add 3 to the number you have picked. If you have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian or higher, add 1.</p>
1291       <choice idref="sect246">If your total score is now 3 or less, <link-text>turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1292       <choice idref="sect87">If it is 4<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 87</link-text>.</choice>
1293       <choice idref="sect165">If it is 8 or higher, <link-text>turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
1294      </data>
1295     </section>
1296
1297     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1298      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1299
1300      <data>
1301       <p><quote>Quickly, Prarg!</quote> you shout, as the advancing pack spreads out, attempting to surround you. <quote>Stand back-to-back. Whatever you do, don<ch.apos/>t let them separate us or we<ch.apos/>re done for!</quote></p>
1302       <p>The captain obeys your command and, as the first of the snarling war-dogs comes leaping through the air, you steel yourselves to receive its manic attack.</p>
1303       <combat><enemy>Wild Akataz Pack</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">50</enemy-attribute></combat>
1304       <p>These war dogs are especially susceptible to psychic attack. Double all bonuses you would normally receive should you decide to use a psychic attack during this combat.</p>
1305       <choice idref="sect286">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
1306      </data>
1307     </section>
1308
1309     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1310      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1311
1312      <data>
1313       <p>The slime-smeared steps are narrow and steep and seem to go on forever. You ascend, settling into a steady climbing rhythm, and after a long while you come to a rot-infested door on which your fumbling fingers discover a corroded metal latch. It opens into a dim and lofty chamber, vaulted by massive pillars of marble which are slick with moisture. The ground is carpeted with mottled green fungi, some specimens standing even taller than yourself, and the humid air is thick with spores.</p>
1314       <p>Slowly you make your way across the chamber to an archway which is flanked by stone pillars, carved to resemble two huge open books. Around the base of these book-like pillars you notice several clumps of fleshy fungi which you recognize at once. They are called Floroa and are very nutritious. Eagerly you pick and swallow a handful of these Floroa<ch.emdash/>restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points<ch.emdash/>before leaving this chamber. (If you wish to take some of this fungi with you, record a single dose on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item. Consuming this at a later time will restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.)</p>
1315       <choice idref="sect333">To continue, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
1316      </data>
1317     </section>
1318
1319     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1320      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1321
1322      <data>
1323       <p>The sight of Prarg being held hostage by these ruthless Drakkarim fills you with frustrated anger, but you dare not show it. The slightest provocation could result in the captain<ch.apos/>s death. Instead, you call upon Warlord Magnaarn to show himself; you do not have to wait long for his response.</p>
1324       <choice idref="sect200"><link-text>Turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
1325      </data>
1326     </section>
1327
1328     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1329      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1330
1331      <data>
1332       <p>You slay the Death Knights and bundle their bodies down the stairs to delay the other Drakkarim. Then, with fear running cold in your veins, you hurry across to a window on the far side of the tower. Outside, directly below, you see a Drakkarim lancer sitting astride a warhorse. His lance is sheathed in a tube-like scabbard fixed to the rear of his saddle and in his hand he holds aloft a heavy-bladed cavalry sabre. He is cheering those who are entering the tower and he is completely unaware that you are barely a few yards away.</p>
1333       <p>Swiftly you climb onto the window ledge, draw your weapon, and then leap onto the unwary lancer below.</p>
1334       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1335       <choice idref="sect153">If your total score is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 153</link-text>.</choice>
1336       <choice idref="sect28">If your total score is now 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
1337      </data>
1338     </section>
1339
1340     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1341      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1342
1343      <data>
1344       <p>You follow Prarg to the top of the steps, and as you race along the body-strewn battlements, you see the fighting which is raging both inside and outside the city. The battlements end at a tower where a flight of spiral steps ascend to a circular landing. Here you wait in the shadows until a troop of Drakkarim pass by. While you are waiting for them to disappear, you look out of the tower through an arrow slit and see the waters of the Gulf of Lencia, and the conflict that is raging across the coastal plain.</p>
1345       <p><quote>The King<ch.apos/>s Crusaders breached the city gate three days ago,</quote> whispers Prarg. <quote>They were close to taking the city when Magnaarn and his armies arrived. His newfound power shattered the Crusaders, but even though they were broken by it, not all were ejected from the city. Those you saw fighting at the keep are trying to hold on until our allies arrive from Kasland. The fleet is expected at any time. Magnaarn must be slain. He and the sceptre have become one entity<ch.emdash/>he is now a puppet of a far greater evil.</quote></p>
1346
1347       <illustration class="inline">
1348        <meta>
1349         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1350        </meta>
1351        <instance class="html" src="small13.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1352        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small13.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1353        <instance class="pdf" src="small13.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1354       </illustration>
1355
1356       <p>A shudder runs down your spine as, for the first time since you entered Darke, you feel the presence of the Doomstone. Fear returns to haunt you, the fear that the evil gem will sap your strength, as it did when first you encountered it at the Temple of Antah. If this is still so then Magnaarn may prove impossible to defeat.</p>
1357       <p>Prarg senses your anxiety and he offers some words of advice and hope: <quote>The taking of Darke has weakened the Warlord<ch.emdash/>he<ch.apos/>s paid a terrible price. He has been forced to retire from the battle in order to recover his strength and he is presently at his weakest. Now, Sire, is the time to strike.</quote></p>
1358       <p>Beyond the landing lies a corridor which leads to a junction where another passageway crosses from left to right. You look to the right and see that the way is blocked by a heavy steel door. Prarg utters a curse under his breath, and then he explains his anger.</p>
1359       <p><quote>That way leads directly to the Palace Tower. Magnaarn is hiding there, in its uppermost chamber.</quote></p>
1360       <p>Anxiously he glances along the opposite passage and furrows his brow. <quote>Perhaps we can get there by another route,</quote> he muses.</p>
1361       <choice idref="sect220">If you wish to investigate the closed door, <link-text>turn to 220</link-text>.</choice>
1362       <choice idref="sect182">If you choose to look for another way of reaching the Palace Tower, <link-text>turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
1363      </data>
1364     </section>
1365
1366     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1367      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1368
1369      <data>
1370       <p>Suddenly you sense that Prarg is walking directly towards a patch of thin ice. You shout a warning but it is already too late. A loud <onomatopoeia>crack</onomatopoeia> echoes across the lake as the surface shatters and, in a terrible moment, your companion disappears feet-first into a seething pool of icy grey water.</p>
1371       <choice idref="sect211">If you possess a Rope, <link-text>turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1372       <choice idref="sect346">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
1373      </data>
1374     </section>
1375
1376     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1377      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1378
1379      <data>
1380       <p>You let fly your Arrow and send it deep into the creature<ch.apos/>s throat. For a few moments the Ciquali looks at you as if unaffected by the Arrow; then its eyes roll backwards in their sockets and stiffly it falls backwards over the gunwale to sink without trace beneath the slimy water.</p>
1381       <p>As one, the remaining Ciquali flee from the boat and disappear as quickly as they had come, slipping back to the cold, dark safety of their hiding places beneath the surface. Silence returns, and for a long moment you stand alert, suspecting trickery. Then slowly you relax; they have gone.</p>
1382       <p>Aided by your healing skills, Prarg makes a speedy recovery from the battering he sustained in combat with the Ciquali chieftain. The boat, too, has survived the attack and you are able to continue without further delay. As soon as you pass the obstruction, you hoist the sail and catch the prevailing wind which propels you northwards along the channel beyond.</p>
1383       <p>You are hungry after your encounter. Unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1384       <choice idref="sect322">To continue, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
1385      </data>
1386     </section>
1387
1388     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1389      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1390
1391      <data>
1392       <p>The fight for control of Konozod is swift and bloody. Within the hour the town is under Lencian control, its Drakkarim garrison having been put mercilessly to the sword. However, not all of the enemy perish in the battle. To Captain Schera<ch.apos/>s dismay, several manage to escape across the river and flee to the west on horseback. He is anxious that they may return with reinforcements to retake the town.</p>
1393       <p>A food store is discovered and, whilst the starving Lencians satiate their hunger, you talk with Captain Schera about the events of the last few weeks which have led to this meeting. Your learn from him that after you were interred in the Temple of Antah, Warlord Magnaarn waged a major offensive against the Lencian army. Having reunited the Doomstone with the Nyras Sceptre, he has, as King Sarnac feared, forced the Nadziranim sorcerers of Kagorst and Akagazad to help him. Their combined skills have wrought great destruction. They attacked and drove through the Lencian lines like demons in an offensive which was swift and deadly. A week ago, Captain Schera and his regiment were cut off and captured in the fighting around Hokidat, after which they were marched here and imprisoned. He considers himself lucky to be alive, for the Drakkarim rarely take prisoners. Then you ask what news he has heard about the war since he came here.</p>
1394       <p><quote>There<ch.apos/>s much confusion,</quote> he says, wearily. <quote>I<ch.apos/>ve heard talk that most of the mercenaries in Sarnac<ch.apos/>s pay have deserted us. Some have even joined the enemy. The Drakkarim taunted us, saying that our army had been smashed. They said the remnants had been pushed into the Tentarias, but I dismissed this as lies. One thing is sure, though: Magnaarn intends to raise the siege of Darke. It has become his battle call<ch.emdash/><quote>On to Darke!</quote> This cry was on the lips of his troops during the battle at Hokidat. I saw him during this battle. He was leading his army personally, and he was wielding his accursed sceptre, dealing death to all who tried to stand in his way. He possesses a great and terrible power, and I fear that we may now be unable to put an end to his evil ambitions.</quote></p>
1395       <choice idref="sect97">If you wish to ask Schera if he knows anything about Captain Prarg, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
1396       <choice idref="sect236">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
1397      </data>
1398     </section>
1399
1400     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1401      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1402
1403      <footnotes>
1404       <footnote id="sect40-1-foot" idref="sect40-1">
1405        <p>This section represents the correct answer to the octagonal door lock in <a idref="sect89">Section 89</a>.</p>
1406       </footnote>
1407      </footnotes>
1408
1409      <data>
1410       <p>On the final tap you hear a faint <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia>; then the door creaks slowly open to reveal a dark and desolate chamber, its brick walls dripping with evil-smelling grey slime.<footref id="sect40-1" idref="sect40-1-foot"/></p>
1411       <choice idref="sect196">If you possess Grand Huntmastery, <link-text>turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
1412       <choice idref="sect126">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
1413      </data>
1414     </section>
1415
1416     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1417      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1418
1419      <data>
1420       <p>Shortly after midnight you are awoken by the sound of wolves howling. Within a few moments you are on your feet, your weapon in hand as you race up the bank towards the place where you stationed your timber wolf guards. As you crest the bank you see them pacing back and forth, their eyes fixed on the forest<ch.apos/>s edge, their thick white fur standing on end with anxiety and fear. You scour the tree-line and at once you see the cause of their concern: Akataz. A dozen of the leathery black war-dogs are slinking in the shadows, waiting for the chance to attack. These ferocious wild dogs are often used by the Drakkarim and you have encountered them before on several occasions. Mindful of past experiences, you recall a weakness of the breed: they are particularly susceptible to psychic attacks.</p>
1421       <p>Armed with this knowledge, you focus your Magnakai skill of Psi-surge upon the pack and launch a sharp blast of psychic energy in their direction. The effect is immediate: the Akataz are traumatized by this sudden assault. Shrieking with fright, the dogs flee from the bank and seek refuge in the dark safety of the Tozaz Forest. Confident that they will not be back, affectionately you pat your two loyal guards then return to the boat to resume your night<ch.apos/>s rest.</p>
1422       <choice idref="sect215"><link-text>Turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
1423      </data>
1424     </section>
1425
1426     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1427      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1428
1429      <data>
1430       <p>The Nadziranim sorcerer has taken on the visage of a great snuffling beast which creeps towards you on six long-clawed feet. A vile, bulbous head is perched uneasily on its immense shoulders and its baleful, milky-coloured eyes roll like balls of mist within its scabrous head. The reeking fur of its body seems to bristle as slowly, with ponderous steps, it draws closer and closer.</p>
1431
1432       <illustration class="float">
1433        <meta>
1434         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1435         <description>The Nadziranim sorcerer, taking on the visage of a great sniffling beast, creeps towards you.</description>
1436        </meta>
1437        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="600"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1438        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="600"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1439        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="600" />
1440       </illustration>
1441
1442       <choice idref="sect271">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 271</link-text>.</choice>
1443       <choice idref="sect134">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
1444      </data>
1445     </section>
1446
1447     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1448      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1449
1450      <data>
1451       <p>A few moments after the wall closes there is a sound like distant thunder. Then a shudder runs through the floor and clumps of dirt begin to fall from cracks in the ceiling. Your strength is returning, but before you can attempt to escape, there is an almighty explosion and a deluge of rock and damp earth cascades into the passageway. The ceiling and floor are being pulled in opposing directions, and with a grating cry of tortured stone, the heavy portcullis shatters in two. Quickly you crawl beneath a broken section which lies at an angle to the wall, and take cover as countless tons of rock and earth rain down from above.</p>
1452       <p>When at last the destruction ceases you find yourself trapped in the narrow triangular space between the heavy portcullis and the wall. Your quick thinking has saved you from physical injury, but, as far as you can tell, you are now buried in a collapsed level of the temple, hundreds of feet below the surface. Confident in the knowledge that, at worst, your stamina and Kai skills alone can keep you alive for several days, you begin the slow and laborious task of digging your way out of this subterranean tomb.</p>
1453       <choice idref="sect156"><link-text>Turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
1454      </data>
1455     </section>
1456
1457     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1458      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1459
1460      <data>
1461       <p>As the Gorodons come pounding through the shallows, you draw upon your Magnakai skill of Animal Control in a desperate attempt to repel their attack. But your Discipline is not sufficiently strong enough and it fails to slow their advance.</p>
1462       <p>Desperately you struggle to unsheathe your weapon as, with eyes blazing and horns lowered in eager readiness to strike, the Gorodons come rushing in for the kill.</p>
1463       <combat><enemy>3 Gorodons</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">46</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">60</enemy-attribute></combat>
1464       <choice idref="sect264">If you win and the combat takes six rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
1465       <choice idref="sect155">If the combat is still in progress at the start of the seventh round, do not continue. Instead, <link-text>turn immediately to 155</link-text>.</choice>
1466      </data>
1467     </section>
1468
1469     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1470      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1471
1472      <data>
1473       <p>Guided by your intuition, you set off with Prarg along the forest trail heading west, and soon your tracking skills warn you that you are nearing an enemy encampment. You signal your discovery to Prarg, and he follows as stealthily you enter the undergrowth and slip past a line of Drakkarim sentries. From the cover of the dense forest bracken you observe their camp. You count more than two dozen soldiers, plus horses, wagons, and shelters. Prarg points to the emblem which adorns all of their uniforms and equipment: a black eagle clutching two fiery swords.</p>
1474
1475       <illustration class="inline">
1476        <meta>
1477         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1478        </meta>
1479        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1480        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1481        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1482       </illustration>
1483
1484       <p><quote>These are the Tukodak<ch.emdash/>Warlord Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s personal guards,</quote> he says in a hushed whisper. <quote>We would be wise to avoid them.</quote></p>
1485       <p>You nod in agreement; then together you slip away from the camp and head north through the trees. You are drawn in this direction by something your senses have detected. It is a strong aura of energy, an evil energy which you feel sure must be radiating from the Doomstone of Darke. Within a few minutes you stumble upon a clearing where stands the majestic ruins of an ancient temple. At once you know that this is the Temple of Antah, and you sense that the Doomstone is here, lying somewhere deep within the ruins.</p>
1486       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1487      </data>
1488     </section>
1489
1490     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1491      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1492
1493      <data>
1494       <p>Stoically, you begin the difficult trek westwards through this dense timberland, following the tracks left behind by Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s troops. At dusk you reach the forest<ch.apos/>s edge and stare out across an open expanse of bare, snow-covered plain. There is no cover to be had here, but at least the approaching darkness will help keep you hidden from hostile eyes.</p>
1495       <p>As you emerge from the trees, by chance you notice something half-buried in the undergrowth. A closer look reveals it to be a large Drakkarim backpack. You flip open the buckles to search it and discover it contains the following items:</p>
1496       <ul class="unbulleted">
1497       <li>Bow</li>
1498       <li>2 Arrows</li>
1499       <li>Enough food for 2 Meals</li>
1500       <li>Potion of Alether (increases <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 2 points for duration of one combat only)</li>
1501       <li>Bottle of Wine</li>
1502       <li>Bowstring</li>
1503       </ul>
1504       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1505       <choice idref="sect103">To continue your trek, <link-text>turn to 103</link-text>.</choice>
1506      </data>
1507     </section>
1508
1509     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1510      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1511
1512      <data>
1513       <p>You share your premonition of danger with Captain Prarg and wisely he heeds your warning. He suggests you draw in the sail to prevent the wind from propelling your boat towards the raft of weeds, yet once the sail is gathered, still you find yourselves drifting ever nearer to the obstruction.</p>
1514       <p>With weapons drawn, you wait in tense expectation as the boat grazes the edge of the weed-raft. For a few seconds there is an unnatural silence; then suddenly a gurgling screech rends the frosty air. Like sorcery-conjured demons, a dozen ghoulish creatures rise up from the murky depths of the swamp amid a seething froth of bubbles. Swiftly they climb from beneath the weed-raft and slink from other hiding places among the dank thickets of the adjoining bank. Within seconds they have you surrounded.</p>
1515       <p><quote>Ciquali!</quote> cries Prarg, naming these ghoulish foes. He steps forward, brandishing his sword, and lashes out at the boldest of the dome-headed creatures as it tries to slip aboard. His razor-sharp blade severs its forearm at the wrist, sending a scaly webbed hand spinning into the swamp, trailing green ichor. The beast screams as it falls over the side, yet no sooner has it vanished beneath the surface when two more of its kin grab the gunwales and attempt to haul themselves into the boat.</p>
1516       <choice idref="sect180">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
1517       <choice idref="sect7">If you do not or choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
1518      </data>
1519     </section>
1520
1521     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1522      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1523
1524      <data>
1525       <p>Your advanced Pathsmanship skills locate the faint outline of tracks in the dust which covers the rough stone floor. These tracks were made by a creature that is bigger than yourself, a large-footed biped with clawed toes and an awkward shuffling gait. You are tracing the outline of one footprint with your index finger when suddenly your acute senses warn you that something hostile is approaching along the corridor.</p>
1526       <choice idref="sect252">If you wish to avoid a confrontation, you can turn around and hurry along this tunnel in the opposite direction, by <link-text>turning to 252</link-text>.</choice>
1527       <choice idref="sect122">If you choose instead to draw your weapon and advance to meet this unknown threat, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
1528      </data>
1529     </section>
1530
1531     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1532      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1533
1534      <data>
1535       <p>You crash down upon the unsuspecting lancer, but the shock of impact does not unseat him and desperately he struggles to fend you off. He gouges your cheek with his studded gauntlets before you succeed in knocking him out of the saddle: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1536       <p>The lancer falls heavily to the ground, striking his head. Before he can recover his senses, you seize control of the horse and take off across the square. With your left hand you unholster the lance and bring it to bear as you gallop headlong towards the backs of the Drakkarim soldiers who stand between you and the platform.</p>
1537       <choice idref="sect63"><link-text>Turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
1538      </data>
1539     </section>
1540
1541     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1542      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1543
1544      <data>
1545       <p>A ragged line of Lencian prisoners are crossing the stone bridge, escorted by a dozen Drakkarim armed with crossbows and spears. The main gates swing open to admit them, and, as the Lencians file through with their heads bowed in defeat, you see that the central square of this town has been turned into a large prisoner-of-war compound. It is enclosed by a crude fence of wire and sharpened stakes, which is patrolled by sentries and Akataz war-dogs. From what little you can see you estimate at least two hundred Lencians are being held captive here.</p>
1546       <p>The conditions are shocking. The men are being kept out in the open, without shelter or heat of any kind, and judging by the state of those already here, it looks as if the Drakkarim are purposefully starving them to death.</p>
1547       <p>Your shock soon turns to anger, and you vow to do something to help these prisoners. But before you can think through a plan of action, your Kai senses warn you of approaching footsteps. Two of the Drakkarim escort have slipped away from the line and they are now walking briskly towards the alleyway. One has a large canvas sack slung over his shoulder, and as they draw closer, you are forced to take cover in a shadowy doorway to avoid being seen.</p>
1548       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Assimilance, add 3 to your score.</p>
1549       <choice idref="sect116">If your total score is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1550       <choice idref="sect259">If it is 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 259</link-text>.</choice>
1551      </data>
1552     </section>
1553
1554     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1555      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1556
1557      <data>
1558       <p>The moment you feel the icy cold waters of the Gourneni lapping about your legs, you press your shoulders to the stern timbers and launch the boat into the shallows. Prarg scrambles over the side, and then turns with his arms outstretched to pull you aboard.</p>
1559       <p><quote>Quickly, Lone Wolf!</quote> he screams, <quote>they<ch.apos/>re nearly upon us!</quote></p>
1560       <p>With Prarg<ch.apos/>s help you clamber over the gunwale, narrowly avoiding the horns of a Gorodon as you tumble head-over-heels into the bottom of the boat. Unaided, the boat drifts towards the middle of the river and is soon beyond reach of the Gorodons who, despite their hunger, have decided not to pursue.</p>
1561       <p><quote>That was too close for comfort,</quote> says Prarg, as he struggles to free the oars and set them in place. <quote>We can count ourselves lucky to have escaped with our lives and limbs intact. The first time I navigated these channels I lost three good men in a Gorodon attack. These beasts are the bane of this accursed place<ch.ellips/>yet, <ch.apos/>tis true to say, there are other creatures here that are far worse. Far worse.</quote></p>
1562       <p>Using the oars you soon reach the west bank where, once safely ashore, you encamp on a strip of frozen loam that overlooks a bleak expanse of marsh. Night has fallen and so too has the temperature. From the shelter of your upturned boat you cast your experienced eye across the darkening skies and see banks of cloud, heavy with snow, scudding the distant horizon. They are an unwelcome sight, the precursors to a winter storm.</p>
1563       <p>Prarg volunteers to continue the first watch but, mindful that his need for rest is greater than yours, you insist that he gets some sleep. For four hours you sit and scan the bleak horizon, your mind filled with unanswered questions about the mission and the dangers you have yet to face. While you ponder what awaits you in the near future, you remain watchful and alert, your encounter on the east bank still vivid in your mind. Fortunately, the increasing cold dissuades the Hellswamp<ch.apos/>s inhabitants from leaving their lairs this night and your watch passes without incident.</p>
1564       <p>Then the time comes for you to awaken Prarg. With a noticeable lack of enthusiasm he takes his turn while you settle yourself down to catch a few hours of much needed sleep.</p>
1565       <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
1566      </data>
1567     </section>
1568
1569     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1570      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1571
1572      <data>
1573       <p>Cautiously you descend the slippery hill track and make your approach to the bridge. The thick snow muffles your steps and you are able to reach the cabin without alerting its occupants. You motion to Prarg to take hold of the horse and keep lookout whilst you investigate the stables. Silently you slip alongside the cabin and pass beneath its solitary window.</p>
1574       <choice idref="sect263">If you wish to peek through the window, <link-text>turn to 263</link-text>.</choice>
1575       <choice idref="sect115">If you choose to ignore the window and make your way directly to the stables, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
1576      </data>
1577     </section>
1578
1579     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1580      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1581
1582      <data>
1583       <p>The Drakkar shudders as you land your killing blow. With an open-mouthed look of surprise, he clasps his chest then drops lifelessly to the floor. Quickly you step over his corpse and hurry to the table to study the map. To your disappointment, the map turns out to be merely a construction plan of the encampment. It offers no clues to Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s present location.</p>
1584
1585       <illustration class="inline">
1586        <meta>
1587         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1588        </meta>
1589        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="117"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1590        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="117"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1591        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="117" />
1592       </illustration>
1593
1594       <choice idref="sect213">If you wish to search the cabin more thoroughly, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
1595       <choice idref="sect277">If you choose to leave the cabin and return to Prarg, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
1596      </data>
1597     </section>
1598
1599     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1600      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1601
1602      <data>
1603       <p>The ambush is swift and devastating, yet despite having been caught completely unawares, the Drakkarim cavalry put up a spirited fight. Their leader is a formidable swordsman and more than a dozen Lencians die beneath his swishing blade before he finds himself in face-to-face combat with a Kai Grand Master.</p>
1604       <combat><enemy>Zagganozod Captain</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">36</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">38</enemy-attribute></combat>
1605       <choice idref="sect341">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
1606      </data>
1607     </section>
1608
1609     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1610      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1611
1612      <data>
1613       <p>Your super-keen senses warn you that Prarg is walking towards a patch of thin ice. At once you shout a warning and he halts in his tracks. Then, carefully, he retraces his steps and follows in your footsteps as you make a wide detour around this perilous section. An hour later you reach the far side of the lake and hurry into the forest beyond.</p>
1614       <choice idref="sect187"><link-text>Turn to 187</link-text>.</choice>
1615      </data>
1616     </section>
1617
1618     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1619      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1620
1621      <data>
1622       <p>You take a Gold Crown from your money pouch, flick it in the air, and then catch it on the back of your hand. With your advanced skills it is easy for you to sense immediately what the coin is showing, but Prarg is not so gifted.</p>
1623       <p><quote>Heads or tails?</quote> you ask your companion.</p>
1624       <p>Thoughtfully he scratches his chin as he considers his answer.</p>
1625       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1626       <choice idref="sect117">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1627       <choice idref="sect298">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 298</link-text>.</choice>
1628      </data>
1629     </section>
1630
1631     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1632      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1633
1634      <data>
1635       <p>Despite your realistic disguise and plausible story, the Tukodak guards are not deceived.</p>
1636       <p><foreign xml:lang="x-giak"><quote>Gazim!</quote></foreign> shouts the spear-wielder, and you are forced to knock Prarg aside to save his life as the angry Drakkar thrusts at his chest. You move back a few paces and draw your weapon just in time to defend yourself as the guards rush to attack.</p>
1637       <combat><enemy>Tukodak Guards</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">34</enemy-attribute></combat>
1638       <choice idref="sect12">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 12</link-text>.</choice>
1639      </data>
1640     </section>
1641
1642     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1643      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1644
1645      <data>
1646       <p>You crash down upon a stack of ale barrels which, in turn, topple and fall, pinning you beneath them. Yet despite your heavy landing, your cat-like reflexes save you from sustaining any serious injuries: lose only 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
1647       <p>At once you try to extricate yourself from beneath the heavy casks, but a sudden sound causes you to stop and stare at the broken trapdoor. In the alleyway above, you hear the sounds of a struggle taking place: the Drakkarim have found your companion, Prarg, and they are attempting to overpower him by force.</p>
1648       <choice idref="sect225"><link-text>Turn to 225</link-text>.</choice>
1649      </data>
1650     </section>
1651
1652     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1653      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1654
1655      <data>
1656       <p>The open doors to the tower appear to offer the only means of access to the temple. Because of this, you decide that you will try to overpower the two Tukodak who are standing guard there. Armed with your formidable Kai skills, and with dusk fast turning to darkness, you are confident you will succeed.</p>
1657       <p>You tell Prarg, who is unarmed, to wait here at the forest<ch.apos/>s edge until you signal for him to join you. Then you stalk towards the tower, your approach masked by your camouflage skills. At first the way is easy, but the last twenty yards of ground to the stone ramp have been cleared of temple debris and this area is completely open, devoid of any cover.</p>
1658       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian, add 1. If you have reached the rank of Sun Knight, add 2. These bonuses are not cumulative (i.e. if you hold the rank of Sun Knight, you add just 2 <em>not</em> 3).</p>
1659       <choice idref="sect268">If your total score is now 5 or less, <link-text>turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1660       <choice idref="sect151">If it is 6 or higher, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
1661      </data>
1662     </section>
1663
1664     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1665      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1666
1667      <data>
1668       <p>Dawn breaks as you sail into the estuary of Dakushna<ch.apos/>s Channel. Prarg keeps the boat in the centre of the wide waterway, where the slimy water is deepest and the ever-present risk of grounding upon submerged debris is less likely to befall you.</p>
1669       <p>Soon you are enveloped by the chaotic wilderness of the Hellswamp and you feel your spirits drop, as if they are being leeched by some unseen vampire. The monotonous view of slime-laden mudflats extends seemingly forever on every side, broken only occasionally by a dead, vine-strangled tree. You both take some comfort in the fact that there is a wind and it is blowing in a favourable direction. Despite the depressing scenery you make good progress until, late in the afternoon, you are forced to lower your sail when you reach a point where unexpectedly the channel splits in two. Prarg says that this split must have occurred recently, for it was not present the last time he sailed this way. Reluctantly he admits that he is not sure which way to go.</p>
1670       <p>Upon the edge of the left bank, in the middle distance, you see a circle of mud huts perched close to the channel<ch.apos/>s edge. You magnify your vision, but you are unable to discern any signs of life.</p>
1671       <choice idref="sect144">If you wish to enter the left channel which passes close to the circle of mud huts, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
1672       <choice idref="sect235">If you wish to take the right channel and thereby avoid passing by the huts, <link-text>turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
1673      </data>
1674     </section>
1675
1676     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1677      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1678
1679      <data>
1680       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ll prepare a diversion. When the guards and their dogs are drawn away from the perimeter fence, you must act quickly. You and your men must storm the gates. Once you are free, make your way to the armoury with all haste. You<ch.apos/>ll find your weapons there.</quote></p>
1681       <p><quote>That<ch.apos/>s all very well,</quote> replies the captain, sceptically, <quote>but how do you propose we get into the armoury? It<ch.apos/>s the most secure building in the town.</quote></p>
1682       <p><quote>Don<ch.apos/>t worry about that,</quote> you say, with confidence. <quote>I shall be inside, waiting to let you in.</quote></p>
1683       <p>For a few moments the captain considers your plan in silence. Then, with a nod, he finally agrees.</p>
1684       <p><quote>Very well, so be it. I<ch.apos/>ll pass the word.</quote></p>
1685       <p>You watch as he returns to his men; then you leave the fence and retrace your steps to the darkened alleyway.</p>
1686       <choice idref="sect305"><link-text>Turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
1687      </data>
1688     </section>
1689
1690     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1691      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1692
1693      <data>
1694       <p>As you charge towards the sentries, they huddle together and set the butts of their wavering spears into the ground in readiness to receive your attack. But a sharp burst of Psi-surge unsettles them and they scatter moments before you come galloping upon them. In the next instant you are through the gap in the barricade and racing along the road beyond. You have passed successfully through the inner defensive line, but, as Prarg quickly points out, you have yet to reach the outer defences of Shugkona.</p>
1695       <choice idref="sect31"><link-text>Turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
1696      </data>
1697     </section>
1698
1699     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1700      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1701
1702      <data>
1703       <p>You steer the horse towards the platform and the troops scatter before you. All, that is, save one. He is a Death Knight sergeant, an <ch.eacute/>lite Drakkarim warrior. He curses his comrades for their cowardice and, as you bear down on him with your lance levelled at his chest, he draws his sword and gets ready to meet your attack head-on. Then the tip of your lance strikes his steel breastplate and you are forced back in your saddle with a jolt that leaves you breathless.</p>
1704       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score is 12 or higher, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
1705       <choice idref="sect82">If your total score is now 2 or less, <link-text>turn to 82</link-text>.</choice>
1706       <choice idref="sect348">If it is 3 or higher, <link-text>turn to 348</link-text>.</choice>
1707      </data>
1708     </section>
1709
1710     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1711      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1712
1713      <data>
1714       <p>Your hopes of finding a clear route out of here are soon dashed when you arrive at a ruined staircase. It leads to a landing where you are confronted by the corpse of a Drakkarim guard, slumped beside a mound of rubble which is blocking the stairs to the level above. A quick examination of the dead body reveals that both arms are broken. Injured and trapped here by the falling rocks, it appears that this guard eventually died of thirst.</p>
1715       <choice idref="sect247">If you wish to search the body further, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
1716       <choice idref="sect347">If you wish to attempt to clear away the rubble that is blocking the stairs, <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
1717      </data>
1718     </section>
1719
1720     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1721      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1722
1723      <data>
1724       <p>Prarg has reservations about your decision; he fears that your curiosity could be leading you both straight into the arms of the enemy. You understand his anxiety but you stand by your decision. Time is running against you and some risks must be taken if you are to discover quickly the location of Magnaarn and the Doomstone. With a nod of his head Prarg accepts the logic of your argument. Then, as if to reaffirm his loyalty, he draws his sword and offers to lead the way.</p>
1725       <p>Cautiously you follow him through the dense trees, your nerves as taught as bowstrings. As you draw closer, you are able to make out the sounds of wood being chopped, gruff voices, and the jingle of horse bridles. Your suspicions are confirmed when you reach the edge of a clearing and see a Drakkarim encampment in the centre of recently cleared ground. Three log cabins, two only partially completed, stand in the middle of a circular ditch which is backed in turn by a chest-high wall of sharpened stakes. You count more than a hundred Drakkarim labouring to complete this forest outpost, while another fifty or so stand guard along its perimeter wall. They look well-equipped; all are clad in thick furs and studded leather armour, and they wield weapons which are unmistakably fresh from the forge.</p>
1726
1727       <illustration class="float">
1728        <meta>
1729         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1730         <description>Suddenly the door swings open and a Drakkarim officer strides out into the snow.</description>
1731        </meta>
1732        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="634"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1733        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="634"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1734        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="634" />
1735       </illustration>
1736
1737       <p>Slowly you edge your way around the clearing until you are on the north side of the encampment. Here the perimeter wall has yet to be completed, affording you an unobstructed view of the cabins. You settle yourself behind a fallen tree and patiently you observe the main hut. Suddenly the door swings open, and a Drakkarim officer strides out into the snow. He pulls on his iron helm and draws his wolfskin cloak close about him as he goes off to inspect his men<ch.apos/>s work. The door swings shut, but before it closes, you catch a glimpse of something that sparks your curiosity anew.</p>
1738       <choice idref="sect329"><link-text>Turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
1739      </data>
1740     </section>
1741
1742     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1743      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1744
1745      <data>
1746       <p>The moment you strike your killing blow, the creature explodes with a flash of brilliant white light. As the glare fades, you see that nothing whatsoever remains of either its body or spirit. Magnaarn witnesses the death of his servant with a look of pure terror. He screams, and in a moment of panic, he touches the head of the Nyras Sceptre to the floor. There is a tremendous boom, and the floor shudders violently as it is torn wide open by a massive quake.</p>
1747       <p>Hurriedly, Magnaarn makes his escape through a curtained archway. Determined not to allow him to escape, you get ready to leap across the fissure which has opened up the chamber floor. It is no less than twenty feet wide at its narrowest point.</p>
1748       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery <em>and</em> have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian or higher, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
1749       <choice idref="sect128">If your total is now 3 or less, <link-text>turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
1750       <choice idref="sect75">If it is 4<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
1751       <choice idref="sect179">If it is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 179</link-text>.</choice>
1752      </data>
1753     </section>
1754
1755     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1756      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1757
1758      <data>
1759       <p>The guard<ch.apos/>s eyes, made unnaturally large by the lens, narrow as he stares intently across the snowy eastern approaches to the tower. Immediately you slow yourself to a halt, fall to the ground, and then begin utilizing your camouflage skills to keep you hidden from his unblinking gaze.</p>
1760       <p>With your cheek pressed flat to the snow, you glance firstly at the guard<ch.apos/>s face at the observation slit, and then to Captain Prarg who is now climbing the stairs to the tower door, his sword ready to hand. He reaches the door, throws it open, and disappears quickly inside. For a few moments there is complete silence; then he reappears, sheathes his bloodied blade, and beckons you to hurry to the tower.</p>
1761       <choice idref="sect112"><link-text>Turn to 112</link-text>.</choice>
1762      </data>
1763     </section>
1764
1765     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1766      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1767
1768      <data>
1769       <p>You take some bread and dried meat from your Backpack and offer it to your companion. Gratefully he accepts the food and settles himself at the base of a tree where hungrily he consumes every scrap. (Remember to deduct this Meal from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1770       <p>Meanwhile you scan the surrounding forest, ever watchful for enemies. For the last hour you have had a growing suspicion that something has been watching you. Your senses detect the presence of a hostile entity, closing from the east. Now the suspicion has become a firm belief, and the moment Prarg finishes his meal, you suggest that you be on your way as swiftly as possible.</p>
1771       <choice idref="sect14"><link-text>Turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
1772      </data>
1773     </section>
1774
1775     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1776      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1777
1778      <data>
1779       <p>The current, and your powerful oar-strokes, propel you swiftly towards the Drakkarim renegades. You are fifty yards distant when the unexpected sight of your boat galvanizes them into action. They drop their makeshift fishing lines and take up their bows in readiness to fire the moment you are opposite their position. A growl from their pot-bellied leader passes for an order to fire, and suddenly you find yourself speeding through a cloud of deadly arrows.</p>
1780       <choice idref="sect278">If you possess a Bow and wish to return fire, <link-text>turn to 278</link-text>.</choice>
1781       <choice idref="sect158">If you do not possess a Bow or choose not to return fire, <link-text>turn to 158</link-text>.</choice>
1782      </data>
1783     </section>
1784
1785     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1786      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1787
1788      <data>
1789       <p>Reluctantly you abandon your attempt to open this iron portal and turn instead to a sloping passageway which descends to a deeper subterranean level of this ancient temple. You set off down this damp passage and at length it ends at a vault where the only exit appears to be a vertical pit at its centre. Cautiously you approach the pit and peer through its barred grill.</p>
1790       <p>To your surprise, you see the floor of another torchlit passageway less than a dozen feet directly below the grill. With Prarg<ch.apos/>s help you pull open the rusty cover; then you lower yourself through the hole and drop down into the corridor below, followed by your companion. The pervading aura of evil is stronger now, and you feel certain that with every step you are drawing closer to finding the Doomstone. You are thinking to yourself that perhaps your progress has been almost too easy when suddenly you sense imminent danger.</p>
1791       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Pathsmanship, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
1792       <choice idref="sect132">If your total score is now 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
1793       <choice idref="sect205">If it is 3<ch.endash/>6 <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1794       <choice idref="sect92">If it is 7 or higher, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>.</choice>
1795      </data>
1796     </section>
1797
1798     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1799      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1800
1801      <data>
1802       <p>Patiently you keep watch to the north, expecting to see the appearance of enemy cavalry at any moment. You do not have to wait too long, for within minutes of deciphering the crow<ch.apos/>s warning, you see the first few outriders of a Drakkarim platoon crest the horizon. You magnify your vision and recognize them to be part of Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s own army. They are carrying lances topped with pennants that bear Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s personal emblem: an eagle clasping two fiery swords. Steadily these cavalry scouts draw closer. They are riding directly towards the river.</p>
1803
1804       <illustration class="inline">
1805        <meta>
1806         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1807        </meta>
1808        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1809        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1810        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1811       </illustration>
1812
1813       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1814       <choice idref="sect21">If the number you have chosen is 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 21</link-text>.</choice>
1815       <choice idref="sect267">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
1816      </data>
1817     </section>
1818
1819     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1820      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1821
1822      <footnotes>
1823       <footnote id="sect72-1-foot" idref="sect72-1">
1824        <p>This section is unreachable and superfluous since it is equivalent to <a idref="sect349">Section 349</a> and <a idref="sect185">Section 185</a>. It has been rewritten in the Collector<ch.apos/>s Edition to almost parallel Sections <a idref="sect29">29</a> and <a idref="sect287">287</a> by adding an extra option for the <a idref="random">Random Number</a> pick from <a idref="sect86">Section 86</a>.</p>
1825       </footnote>
1826      </footnotes>
1827
1828      <data>
1829       <p>As the beast keels over backwards and splashes into the mire, you roll Prarg onto his back then watch as the remaining Ciquali, now leaderless, turn away and disappear as quickly as they had come, slipping back to the cold, dark safety of their hiding places beneath the surface. Silence returns, and for a long moment you stay alert, suspecting trickery. Then slowly you relax; they have gone.<footref id="sect72-1" idref="sect72-1-foot"/></p>
1830       <p>Aided by your healing skills, Prarg makes a speedy recovery from the battering he sustained in combat with the Ciquali chieftain. The boat, too, has survived the attack and you are able to continue without further delay. As soon as you pass the obstruction, you hoist the sail and catch the prevailing wind which propels you northwards along the channel beyond.</p>
1831       <p>You are hungry after your encounter. Unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1832       <choice idref="sect322">To continue, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
1833      </data>
1834     </section>
1835
1836     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1837      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1838
1839      <data>
1840       <p>You make swift progress, helped by the river<ch.apos/>s strong current. Gradually, as the day unfolds, the surrounding landscape changes from open plain to an expanse of low, rolling hills which are blackened and scarred by war. Ruined hovels smoulder on the horizon, and scores of snow-covered corpses, human and otherwise, lie scattered across the fields, their limbs frozen into impossible shapes.</p>
1841       <p>It is late afternoon when you catch sight of a town on the horizon. You check your <a idref="map">map</a> and discover it to be Konozod, a fortified Drakkarim stronghold. As the river carries you closer, you magnify your vision and see that it is built upon the left bank of the Shug. A huge stone bridge spans the river, and beneath this you see that the waterway is blocked by a barrier of chained logs.</p>
1842       <choice idref="sect314">If you wish to allow your boat to drift towards this barrier, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1843       <choice idref="sect231">If you decide to avoid the barrier, you can put ashore and continue on foot by <link-text>turning to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1844      </data>
1845     </section>
1846
1847     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1848      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1849
1850      <data>
1851       <p>The guard<ch.apos/>s eyes, made unnaturally large by his magical lens, stare out across the snowy eastern approaches to the town. You are in plain view, less than a few dozen yards from his position, yet he fails to notice you racing to join your companion. Shielded by your Kai skills and aided by your fleetness of foot, you reach Prarg unobserved by this watchful defender.</p>
1852       <p>Prarg points ahead to an alleyway that lies sandwiched between two burnt-out hovels close by the watchtower. You nod to confirm you understand his intentions, and without a word having been spoken, you follow as he runs towards the alley<ch.apos/>s shadowy entrance.</p>
1853       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
1854      </data>
1855     </section>
1856
1857     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1858      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1859
1860      <data>
1861       <p>You leap across the gap, but, as you land, you slip on the broken flooring and gash both knees: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Cursing your luck, you hobble towards the curtain through which Magnaarn disappeared and pull it aside to find a short flight of stone steps. You climb them and discover that they emerge at a turret at the very top of the Palace Tower, the highest point in the city of Darke.</p>
1862
1863       <illustration class="float">
1864        <meta>
1865         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1866         <description>Magnaarn cowers with his crooked back pressed against the frost-covered wall.</description>
1867        </meta>
1868        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1869        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1870        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
1871       </illustration>
1872
1873       <p>Here you find Magnaarn, cowering with his crooked back pressed hard against the frost-covered wall. You sense that he has very nearly succumbed to the evil power of the Doomstone; he is treading a fine line between life and undeath. Yet, even though he is but a whisker away from eternal damnation, he musters enough spite to challenge you to a fight to the death.</p>
1874       <p><quote>Very well, Drakkar,</quote> you reply. <quote>Let battle commence.</quote></p>
1875       <combat><enemy>Warlord Magnaarn (with Nyras Sceptre)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">50</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
1876       <choice idref="sect350">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
1877      </data>
1878     </section>
1879
1880     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1881      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1882
1883      <data>
1884       <p>Swiftly you draw an Arrow, take aim, and fire as the beast comes leaping through the air towards your chest. The arrow thuds into its furry belly but the momentum of its leap still carries it forwards.</p>
1885       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1886       <choice idref="sect174">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 174</link-text>.</choice>
1887       <choice idref="sect258">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
1888      </data>
1889     </section>
1890
1891     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1892      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1893
1894      <data>
1895       <p>The arrow whistles over your head and sinks harmlessly into the muddy bank on the opposite side of the river. For ten minutes you lie in the bottom of the boat staring up at the grey sky as the river carries you downstream, and when eventually you pull yourself upright, you discover that the Drakkarim renegades are no longer in sight.</p>
1896       <p>Your voyage continues without further incident until, later in the afternoon, you catch sight of a town on the horizon. You check your <a idref="map">map</a> and discover it to be Konozod, a fortified Drakkarim stronghold. As the river carries you closer, you magnify your vision and see that it is built upon the left bank of the Shug. A huge stone bridge spans the river, and beneath this you see that the waterway is blocked by a barrier of chained logs.</p>
1897       <choice idref="sect314">If you wish to allow your boat to drift towards this barrier, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1898       <choice idref="sect231">If you decide to avoid the barrier, you can put ashore and continue on foot by <link-text>turning to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1899      </data>
1900     </section>
1901
1902     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1903      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1904
1905      <data>
1906       <p>Upon reaching the base of the chasm you discover the ground to be slick with black, foul-smelling mud. It is peppered with broken slabs of rock, veined marble, and other temple debris which have fallen from the many sundered levels above. You wade through this ankle-deep slime, following the course of the river as it rushes towards the brick-lined tunnel at a frightful speed. When you reach the tunnel entrance, to your relief you discover a solid stone walkway which runs parallel to the roaring water. From the roof of this echoing tunnel hang vast, bloated domes of stinking fungi which give off a grey-green radiance. It is an unwelcoming light, an illumination born of decay.</p>
1907       <p>You have taken a few hundred paces along the stone walkway when you are confronted by a massive iron grill. It stretches across the entire width of the tunnel and prevents you from continuing further in this direction. Nearby, a heavy chain hangs from a hole in the arched ceiling. Upon closer investigation you discover that it operates a concealed winch which raises and lowers the grill, like the portcullis of a castle. You are about to haul the chain and raise the grill when suddenly you hear a beast-like roar echoing along the tunnel, louder than the rushing water. You sense danger; something is approaching. You release the chain and spin around, your hand reaching instinctively to your weapon, but you are frozen immobile by the terrible sight of the creature that is now moving along the walkway towards you.</p>
1908       <choice idref="sect102">If you possess Animal Mastery, <link-text>turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
1909       <choice idref="sect318">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 318</link-text>.</choice>
1910      </data>
1911     </section>
1912
1913     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1914      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1915
1916      <data>
1917       <p>This quarter of the town is now teeming with enemy soldiers, and as you hurry away from the cell window, you know that you are in grave danger of being caught unless you can find somewhere safe to hide.</p>
1918       <p>At length you discover a refuge on the far side of the main square. It is an empty grain storage tower which overlooks Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s headquarters and the gaol, and it is here that you spend a sleepless night contemplating the mission and the fate of your captured companion. Now that it appears Magnaarn has found the Doomstone, you know you should do as Captain Prarg insisted; you should try to reach Antah and confront him before he can use his newfound power against the Lencians. But you are loath to abandon your guide. You have promised Prarg that you will help him escape, and a Kai Grand Master never breaks his word. The captain has been captured as a spy, and as such, he can expect no mercy from the Drakkarim.</p>
1919       <p>Soon after dawn you witness some activity in the main square which confirms your worst fears. A squad of Drakkarim engineers arrive and set to work constructing a raised wooden platform in the centre of the square.</p>
1920       <p>An hour later, when their work is complete, a covered wagon arrives. The engineers unload a large lump of black oak which they place in the middle of the platform, and as you focus on this block, a shiver runs the length of your spine the moment you realize its grim purpose.</p>
1921       <choice idref="sect118"><link-text>Turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1922      </data>
1923     </section>
1924
1925     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1926      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1927
1928      <data>
1929       <p><quote>You will commence your mission at midnight,</quote> says the King, motioning you towards a small window which overlooks the busy harbour of Vadera. He points to a ship, one of several moored at the quayside, but one that is readily identifiable for it is the only vessel not in military service.</p>
1930       <p><quote>That trading sloop will carry you and the captain to the small island you can see in the distance. That is Battle Isle. There you will find a sailing boat with enough provisions for your mission. The captain knows where it is hidden and he will be responsible for your safe passage once you set sail for the Hellswamp. Remember, secrecy is vital to the success of your mission. Trust nobody save Captain Prarg.</quote></p>
1931       <p>The King voices his fear that Drakkarim spies are operating in the harbour and he expresses his concern that your unexpected arrival by air may have already alerted them to your presence here in Vadera. However, it is too late to change the plan; it is a risk you must accept.</p>
1932       <p>Having concluded your briefing, King Sarnac sends for an escort to take you to a private chamber where you can rest and reflect upon the mission ahead. Later that evening, you and Captain Prarg are smuggled out of the citadel via a secret passage which leads directly to the harbour. Quietly you board the sloop and hide yourselves amongst its cargo of supplies which are destined for the garrison on Battle Isle. The ship sets sail on the first strike of midnight and, after a smooth and uneventful voyage it moors at a jetty on the southern coast of Battle Isle, three hours later.</p>
1933       <p>The crew of the sloop are unaware that you are aboard and, in order to safeguard your secrecy, you await your chance to disembark without being seen. Soon the opportunity presents itself. As the crew go in search of help to unload the cargo, the two of you leave the sloop and hurry off along the beach, heading north towards the place where your sailing boat awaits. There is no cloud and a near-full moon illuminates the rocky beach, making it easy for you to progress despite the difficult terrain.</p>
1934       <choice idref="sect202">If you possess Grand Pathsmanship, <link-text>turn to 202</link-text>.</choice>
1935       <choice idref="sect159">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 159</link-text>.</choice>
1936      </data>
1937     </section>
1938
1939     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1940      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1941
1942      <data>
1943       <p>You tell the three Lencians to spread out into an extended line and watch carefully for your signals. Then you scale the river bank and make your approach to the trees. The three men all seem to be competent scouts but you have your reservations. Had it not been for Schera<ch.apos/>s insistence, you would have preferred to scout this copse alone.</p>
1944       <p>You have only just entered the copse when one of the Lencians accidentally steps on a dry twig. There is a loud <onomatopoeia>crack</onomatopoeia>, and almost immediately, a volley of arrows comes screaming out of the trees, forcing you to throw yourself face-first into the snow to avoid being hit.</p>
1945       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Pathsmanship, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
1946       <choice idref="sect226">If your total score is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
1947       <choice idref="sect199">If it is 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
1948      </data>
1949     </section>
1950
1951     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1952      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1953
1954      <data>
1955       <p>The sudden jolt knocks you backwards off your horse and, as you hit the ground, you strike your head and lose consciousness. Sadly, you never reawaken. A few moments after your fall, you are mobbed by angry Drakkarim soldiers who slay you out of hand.</p>
1956       <deadend>Tragically, your life and your quest end here in Shugkona.</deadend>
1957      </data>
1958     </section>
1959
1960     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1961      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1962
1963      <data>
1964       <p>You detect a strong presence of evil lurking somewhere nearby and you warn Prarg of what you sense. Cautiously, the two of you leave this chamber by a passage which leads to a flight of black stone steps. You ascend the steps to a domed chamber which is sheathed with dull black stone. Heavy velvet hangings of ebony hue cover most of the walls, and all of the furnishings are upholstered with the same morbid cloth. The sensation of evil is stronger here, so strong that you feel as if you are slowly suffocating.</p>
1965       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s here<ch.ellips/></quote> you whisper, your hand reaching for your weapon. <quote>The Doomstone. I can feel its presence!</quote></p>
1966       <p>Suddenly there is a movement away to your left and a blast of white-hot energy comes roaring towards your face. You dive aside in time to avoid it, but the bolt rebounds from the steel-hard wall and glances off the back of Prarg<ch.apos/>s head, knocking him unconscious.</p>
1967       <choice idref="sect161"><link-text>Turn to 161</link-text>.</choice>
1968      </data>
1969     </section>
1970
1971     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1972      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1973
1974      <data>
1975       <p>You are some distance from the east bank when the boat stops abruptly; it has run aground in the shallows.</p>
1976       <p><quote>Curse our luck,</quote> grumbles Prarg, peering over the side. <quote>I was a<ch.apos/>hoping we<ch.apos/>d be fortunate enough t<ch.apos/>keep our feet dry.</quote> Wearily he searches through the provisions and produces a heavy rope, one end of which he proceeds to tie around the stem while you stow away the oars. Then, together, you slip into the cold knee-deep mud and begin the laborious task of hauling the boat towards dry ground.</p>
1977       <p>Eventually you reach dry ground where you set up camp on a promontory which offers the best view of the surrounding swamp. The upturned boat becomes your shelter from the elements, but you both are sorely aware that it will not protect you from the creatures that inhabit this morass. Prarg volunteers to sit the first watch, and hungry for sleep, you bow to his request. But it seems as if you have only just closed your eyes when you are awoken by his hushed and fearful voice:</p>
1978       <p><quote>Awake Sire, I think we<ch.apos/>ve visitors!</quote></p>
1979       <p>You rise in an instant, your hand reaching in reflex for your weapons as your senses try to locate the threat. In the middle-distance, emerging from a bed of tall, frost-heavy rushes, you catch sight of three large and scaly reptilians. From horn-tipped snout to barbed tail they are twenty feet or more, and, despite their enormous weight, they move with impressive lizard-like grace.</p>
1980       <p><quote>Gorodons!</quote> says Prarg, his voice full of horror. <quote>Quickly, Sire, we must get away while we still can!</quote></p>
1981       <p>Hurriedly you right the boat and drag it through the cloying mud towards the river. Your escape is painfully slow and your mounting fear rapidly approaches sheer terror when, in unison, the pursuing Gorodons give vent to a chorus of croaking growls At once you sense that these huge carnivores are ravenously hungry, and the prospect of a feast upon warm-blooded prey is driving them into a frenzy.</p>
1982       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1983       <choice idref="sect279">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 279</link-text>.</choice>
1984       <choice idref="sect51">If the number you have picked is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
1985      </data>
1986     </section>
1987
1988     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1989      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1990
1991      <data>
1992       <p>You watch with mounting anxiety as the Drakkarim officer approaches the execution block. He halts beside the helpless captain and signals to the gaolers to step back, to give him room to enact the execution. Then he takes an oiled stone from his pocket and an ugly sneer spreads across his face as he proceeds to sharpen the blade of the great axe with slow deliberation.</p>
1993
1994       <illustration class="inline">
1995        <meta>
1996         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1997        </meta>
1998        <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1999        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2000        <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2001       </illustration>
2002
2003       <choice idref="sect136">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 136</link-text>.</choice>
2004       <choice idref="sect253">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
2005      </data>
2006     </section>
2007
2008     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
2009      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
2010
2011      <data>
2012       <p>Hurriedly you recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Invisible Shield</spell> and make a circle in the air with the palm of your left hand. But have you acted quickly enough to deflect the speeding arrow?</p>
2013       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If your present <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score is 20 or higher, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
2014       <choice idref="sect29">If your total is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
2015       <choice idref="sect287">If it is 5 or higher, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
2016      </data>
2017     </section>
2018
2019     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
2020      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
2021
2022      <data>
2023       <p>Bravely the horse attempts to clear the trench, but it is simply too exhausted to jump. Its forelegs buckle as it approaches the edge, and you and Prarg are thrown head-first into the trench. Luckily, you both land in deep snow and emerge unharmed by the fall.</p>
2024       <choice idref="sect276"><link-text>Turn to 276</link-text>.</choice>
2025      </data>
2026     </section>
2027
2028     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
2029      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
2030
2031      <data>
2032       <p>Having finished your evening meal, you are faced with a difficult decision: who should take the first watch. Both of you are very tired, and after a whole day<ch.apos/>s rowing you are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of trying to stay awake for another four hours.</p>
2033       <choice idref="sect309">If you decide to volunteer for the first watch, <link-text>turn to 309</link-text>.</choice>
2034       <choice idref="sect56">If you would rather decide the matter on the toss of a coin, <link-text>turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
2035      </data>
2036     </section>
2037
2038     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
2039      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
2040
2041      <footnotes>
2042       <footnote id="sect89-1-foot" idref="sect89-1">
2043        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
2044       </footnote>
2045      </footnotes>
2046
2047      <data>
2048       <p>You step closer to the door and carefully examine the combination lock. You are confident that, with your skill and experience, you will soon have it open without too much difficulty.</p>
2049       <puzzle idref="sect40">Study the following sequence of numbers. When you think you have worked out what the missing number is <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn to the entry</a></when><otherwise>turn to the entry</otherwise></choose> which is identical to your answer.<footref id="sect89-1" idref="sect89-1-foot"/></puzzle>
2050
2051       <illustration class="inline">
2052        <meta>
2053         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2054        </meta>
2055        <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2056        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2057        <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2058        <instance class = "text">
2059         <table>
2060          <tr>
2061           <th colspan="3" scope="colgroup">Number grid</th>
2062          </tr>
2063          <tr>
2064           <td>100</td>
2065           <td>4</td>
2066           <td>25</td>
2067          </tr>
2068          <tr>
2069           <td>90</td>
2070           <td>3</td>
2071           <td>30</td>
2072          </tr>
2073          <tr>
2074           <td>80</td>
2075           <td>2</td>
2076           <td></td>
2077          </tr>
2078         </table>
2079        </instance>
2080       </illustration>
2081
2082       <choice idref="sect30">If you guess incorrectly, or if you cannot solve the door puzzle, <link-text>turn instead to 30</link-text>.</choice>
2083      </data>
2084     </section>
2085
2086     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
2087      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
2088
2089      <data>
2090       <p>The night passes without incident and you awake to a bright dawn feeling refreshed by your long, uninterrupted sleep. Prarg, too, has slept well, and he feels eager to start the journey to Shugkona. Fresh snow has fallen during the night, and when you descend to the base of the tree, you discover several sets of footprints nearby. Your Pathsmanship senses tell you that they are little more than an hour old and were made by a Drakkarim patrol heading due north.</p>
2091       <p>You set off towards the northeast, following a frozen stream that winds its way through the forest like a glistening crystal serpent. Luck and your Kai skills keep you safe from the Drakkarim patrols, and by noon you find yourselves approaching the outskirts of Shugkona. From the cover afforded by a small wooden footbridge that crosses the icy stream, you are able to reconnoitre this heavily fortified Drakkarim town. Log-lined trenches encircle most of its perimeter, fronted by pits filled with sharpened stakes to counter attacks by enemy cavalry. Mantlets and wheeled barricades defend its four highway approaches, and the whole line is manned by squads of Drakkarim and Hammerland mercenaries. However, this formidable protection comprises just a first line of defence behind which there are more fieldworks, sharpened stakes, and watchtowers, many bearing recent scars of war. The town itself lies within this second circle. It is constructed entirely of wood, and many of its outermost buildings have, over the years, been reduced to ash by Lencian firebombs. You learn from Prarg that Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s headquarters are located at the very centre, in a high tower which commands a clear view over the town and its defensive lines.</p>
2092       <p>At first sight the Shugkona defences look impregnable, but after having carefully observed the perimeter lines you note two places where, with luck, you might enter the town without being observed. The first is close to the east road where an expanse of cleared ground is guarded only by a watchtower. The second is a section of the perimeter, further south, where only one line of trenches has been completed.</p>
2093       <choice idref="sect317">If you wish to try to enter Shugkona from the east, <link-text>turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
2094       <choice idref="sect142">If you choose to try to enter Shugkona from the south, <link-text>turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
2095      </data>
2096     </section>
2097
2098     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
2099      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
2100
2101      <data>
2102       <p>For a few moments you stare at the lifeless body of the Tunnel Stalker; then you sheathe your weapon and continue the chore of clearing away the rockfall. Soon you have removed enough debris to enable you to squeeze through the gap to a clear section of the stairwell beyond. Once here, you block the opening behind you, and then race up the steps to the level above.</p>
2103       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
2104      </data>
2105     </section>
2106
2107     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
2108      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
2109
2110      <data>
2111       <p>Your super-sensitive hearing detects the faint sound of stone grating on stone. Then you notice that a line of loopholes are opening at chest height along both walls of this passageway, revealing the sticky sharpened tips of venom-coated spears.</p>
2112       <p><quote>Get down!</quote> you shout, and throw yourself flat onto the damp stone floor. Moments later, a volley of the deadly spears comes hurtling from out of the walls to smash and splinter in the passageway. Both you and your companion escape injury, your timely warning saving you from certain death.</p>
2113       <choice idref="sect325">To continue, <link-text>turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
2114      </data>
2115     </section>
2116
2117     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
2118      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
2119
2120      <data>
2121       <p><quote>Follow me!</quote> shouts Prarg, and before you can stop him he is on his feet and sprinting away. Hurriedly you follow him, with the lookouts shouting wildly in your wake.</p>
2122       <p><quote>Halt!</quote> they scream. <quote>Halt or we shoot!</quote></p>
2123       <p>There is the sound of bow-fire, and then two arrows hit the rocks and shatter close by your feet. You invoke your Magnakai skill of Invisibility to keep you safe, but your Discipline does not extend to Captain Prarg who is less than an arm<ch.apos/>s length ahead of you.</p>
2124       <p>Then your senses tingle anew, drawing your eyes towards a ridge less than thirty yards from the beach. Standing there, clutching loaded crossbows, are two more Lencian lookouts.</p>
2125       <p><quote>Beware!</quote> you cry to Prarg, but already the Lencians are preparing to fire at your fleeing forms.</p>
2126       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2127       <choice idref="sect291">If the number you have chosen is 0, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
2128       <choice idref="sect13">If it is 1<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
2129       <choice idref="sect171">If it is 4 or higher, <link-text>turn to 171</link-text>.</choice>
2130      </data>
2131     </section>
2132
2133     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
2134      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
2135
2136      <data>
2137       <p>You take a deep breath and launch yourself feet-first into the icy lake. At first, as the dark water closes over your head, your senses are numbed by the intense cold. Then your Magnakai skill of Nexus begins to protect your body and the cold gives way to a warm, tingling glow.</p>
2138       <p>Using your infravision, you detect Prarg by the warmth radiating from his body. He is caught upon a jagged ridge of ice and, as you take hold of his tunic and try to pull him free, suddenly you feel unable to move. Something has taken hold of your legs!</p>
2139       <choice idref="sect110">If you possess Magi-magic, <link-text>turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
2140       <choice idref="sect326">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
2141      </data>
2142     </section>
2143
2144     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
2145      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
2146
2147      <data>
2148       <p>Inspired by your victory, the Lencians and their League-land allies repel the remaining Zagganozod and close their ranks until the square is intact once more. The enemy are now exhausted and wearily they retreat across the plain with the stinging cheers of their foes echoing in their ears.</p>
2149       <p>Then an ominous noise comes rolling across the plain from the city of Darke, a thunderous boom that shakes the very ground on which you stand. You look towards the city and see that the battle is growing ever fiercer. But now there is a new and sinister aspect. Flickerings of magical fire can be seen dancing along battlements, engulfing friend and foe alike. You sense that it is the work of Magnaarn; he and his Nadziranim allies are responsible for this.</p>
2150       <p>Then, through the smoke of battle, you see a Lencian flag flying proudly amidst the carnage that is taking place on the coastal plain to the south of the city. Here, King Sarnac<ch.apos/>s crusaders have turned an enemy flank and are storming its weakened centre. Maquin and Schera see the flag and, encouraged by the cheers of their own men, they decide to march at once in support of the crusaders<ch.apos/> brave attack.</p>
2151       <p>You wish them both good fortune, for you know the time has come to part company with these brave men. Their destiny awaits them on the field of battle; yours will be found inside the city of Darke itself where, if you are to fulfil your quest, you must confront Warlord Magnaarn.</p>
2152       <p>You bid them farewell and watch as they lead their men in a marching column across the plain towards the distant field of battle. When they are a mile away, you set off alone towards the hamlet, which lies <foreign xml:lang="fr">en route</foreign> to the gates of Darke.</p>
2153       <choice idref="sect154"><link-text>Turn to 154</link-text>.</choice>
2154      </data>
2155     </section>
2156
2157     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
2158      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
2159
2160      <data>
2161       <p>You enter the stables by a side door and soon find a hiding place in one of a hundred straw-filled stalls. You also find the following items which may be of use to you:</p>
2162       <ul class="unbulleted">
2163       <li>Lantern</li>
2164       <li>Rope</li>
2165       <li>Dagger</li>
2166       <li>Enough food for 2 Meals</li>
2167       <li>Hourglass</li>
2168       </ul>
2169       <p>If you choose to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2170       <p>Periodically, Drakkarim enter and search the building, but they fail to detect you. While you are hiding from their search parties, you consider your companion<ch.apos/>s plight and grow ever more fearful for his safety. You are also very anxious that, under torture, he will reveal your presence, your identity, and the reason why you have come to this town. You are determined not to allow this to happen and so, as midnight approaches, you slip away from your hiding place and make your way stealthily towards the Shugkona Gaol.</p>
2171       <choice idref="sect260"><link-text>Turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
2172      </data>
2173     </section>
2174
2175     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
2176      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
2177
2178      <data>
2179       <p>Schera considers your question, and then he replies:</p>
2180       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>m sorry, I<ch.apos/>ve heard nothing. There have been so many men lost, killed, or captured since Magnaarn attacked. I know of this officer, and though we<ch.apos/>ve never met, I<ch.apos/>ve heard tell that he is a good and brave man. All I can tell you is that I have not seen him here in Konozod.</quote></p>
2181       <choice idref="sect236"><link-text>Turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
2182      </data>
2183     </section>
2184
2185     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
2186      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
2187
2188      <data>
2189       <p>This dry and crumbling surface is the worst you have ever attempted to climb, but it does not defeat you. Your consummate climbing skills and natural grace of movement ensure that you do not falter for a moment. You clear this section of the chasm wall and safely reach the ledge above.</p>
2190       <choice idref="sect146"><link-text>Turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
2191      </data>
2192     </section>
2193
2194     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
2195      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
2196
2197      <data>
2198       <p>Your psychic attack penetrates the war-dog<ch.apos/>s mind, causing it to howl with pain and terror. Immediately the others halt in their tracks, visibly shaken by the horrible cries issuing from their leader as he rolls over and over in the snow. You sense that the pack is torn now between its desire to satisfy its gnawing hunger and its natural instinct for survival. Eventually the instinct for preservation wins out, and one by one the dogs turn and flee for the safety of the forest.</p>
2199       <p>Confident that the Akataz will not be back this night, you return to the boat to catch some sleep while Prarg begins his turn on guard.</p>
2200       <choice idref="sect215"><link-text>Turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
2201      </data>
2202     </section>
2203
2204     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
2205      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
2206
2207      <data>
2208       <p>From the cover of the forest<ch.apos/>s edge you observe the temple, taking in every detail, your eyes scouring every inch of its leprous grey exterior for a way of gaining entry without being detected. Much of the temple is derelict yet it is still an imposing edifice, especially the squat stone tower which stands intact at its centre. Its walls are covered with intricate designs that must have taken centuries to complete, yet while you admire the craftsmanship you find the embellishments wholly repulsive for they depict and glorify acts of great evil.</p>
2209
2210       <illustration class="inline">
2211        <meta>
2212         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2213        </meta>
2214        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2215        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2216        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2217       </illustration>
2218
2219       <p>The ruins are deserted, except for a wide ramp of stone which leads to a pair of huge bronze doors set into the base of the tower. These doors are open, but they are guarded by two of Warlord Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s Tukodak.</p>
2220       <choice idref="sect223">If you have Assimilance, <link-text>turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
2221       <choice idref="sect59">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2222      </data>
2223     </section>
2224
2225     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
2226      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
2227
2228      <data>
2229       <p>Reluctantly, you abandon your attempt to open this door and retrace your steps to the junction. Prarg leads you along the opposite passageway until you come to a corner. He turns the corner before you can warn him otherwise and finds himself staring at the brutish features of a Drakkarim Death Knight sergeant. The warrior<ch.apos/>s curses echo loudly along the narrow corridor as he draws his sword and comes striding towards your careless companion.</p>
2230       <choice idref="sect241">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
2231       <choice idref="sect113">If you do not, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
2232      </data>
2233     </section>
2234
2235     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
2236      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
2237
2238      <data>
2239       <p>Along the walkway comes a lumbering hulk with cold scarlet eyes. This beast is covered with a vile fur which glistens in the grey-green light of the tunnel. Its long sinewy arms are outstretched and in both of its huge hands it holds chunks of dagger-like flint. Its bloated belly skims the floor as it stalks closer, and a brown gluey saliva bubbles and runs freely from its fanged lower jaw.</p>
2240
2241       <illustration class="float">
2242        <meta>
2243         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2244         <description>A beast with cold scarlet eyes lumbers along the walkway.</description>
2245        </meta>
2246        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="562"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2247        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="562"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2248        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="562" />
2249       </illustration>
2250
2251       <p>Using your Kai Mastery you command this beast to halt and for a few seconds it ceases to advance, but you can sense that it is being driven by a desperate hunger, a hunger that could prove stronger than your Kai Mastery.</p>
2252       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. For every level of Kai rank you have attained above Kai Grand Master Superior, add 1 to the number you have picked.</p>
2253       <choice idref="sect218">If your total score is now 5 or less, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
2254       <choice idref="sect119">If it is 6 or higher, <link-text>turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
2255      </data>
2256     </section>
2257
2258     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
2259      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
2260
2261      <data>
2262       <p>Layers of heavy snow clouds blanket the moon, and dusk quickly fades to a darkness which is total. Yet, using your Magnakai night vision, you experience no difficulties as you follow Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s tracks across the open plain.</p>
2263       <p>Shortly before midnight you come to the banks of the River Shug, close to a small cluster of log huts which are grouped around a derelict ferry post. Your enemy<ch.apos/>s week-old tracks lead you to the centre of this deserted settlement.</p>
2264       <choice idref="sect310"><link-text>Turn to 310</link-text>.</choice>
2265      </data>
2266     </section>
2267
2268     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
2269      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
2270
2271      <data>
2272       <p>You focus on the distant mass of floating vegetation as you invoke the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Sense Evil</spell> and immediately you are able to feel the presence of several hostile creatures. They are lying in ambush beneath the raft of weeds and among the dank thickets which line the adjoining bank.</p>
2273       <p>You tell Prarg of what lies ahead, and wisely he heeds your warning. He suggests you draw in the mainsail to prevent the wind from propelling your boat any nearer to the obstruction, yet once the sail is gathered, still you find yourselves drifting inexorably towards your would-be ambushers.</p>
2274       <choice idref="sect303">If you wish to make use of the oars in order to escape from probable ambush, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
2275       <choice idref="sect343">If you choose to do nothing further to prevent the boat from drifting towards the raft of weeds, <link-text>turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
2276      </data>
2277     </section>
2278
2279     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
2280      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
2281
2282      <data>
2283       <p>The two commanders have a great respect for your Kai instincts and immediately they order their men to return to the river bank. Once you are in position, you keep your eyes glued to the north, expecting to see the appearance of the enemy at any moment. You do not have to wait too long, for within minutes of returning here, you see the first few outriders of a Drakkarim cavalry platoon crest the horizon.</p>
2284       <p>You magnify your vision and recognize them to be part of Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s own army. They are carrying lances topped with pennants that bear Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s personal emblem: an eagle clasping two fiery swords. Steadily these cavalry scouts draw closer. They are riding directly towards the river.</p>
2285
2286       <illustration class="inline">
2287        <meta>
2288         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2289        </meta>
2290        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2291        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2292        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2293       </illustration>
2294
2295       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2296       <choice idref="sect21">If the number you have picked is odd (1, 3, 5, 7, 9), <link-text>turn to 21</link-text>.</choice>
2297       <choice idref="sect267">If the number is even (0, 2, 4, 6, 8), <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
2298      </data>
2299     </section>
2300
2301     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
2302      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
2303
2304      <data>
2305       <p>In the distance you see a makeshift roadblock. Several trees have been hacked down and they are strewn haphazardly across the road. Behind this obstruction stand several armoured Drakkarim, waiting eagerly for you to appear.</p>
2306       <p>At once, you leave the road and take cover in the forest. The trees hereabouts are too dense to allow you to enter on horseback, so reluctantly you abandon the mare and enter on foot. Your instinct and Pathsmanship skills lead you in a westerly direction and you cover more than five miles before the trees begin to thin out. Then you emerge from the forest to be greeted by a spectacular sight.</p>
2307       <choice idref="sect192"><link-text>Turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
2308      </data>
2309     </section>
2310
2311     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
2312      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
2313
2314      <data>
2315       <p>You reach Bear Rock shortly before dusk. The landmark is a massive granite boulder, weather-worn into the shape of a huge bear standing upright with its forepaws extended. It is positioned on the west side of the Gourneni and overshadows a sheltered cove formed where, over the centuries, the river has undercut the bank. Here you bring the boat ashore and make camp for the night.</p>
2316       <p>Over your evening meal you discuss the next leg of your mission. In the morning you will hide the boat before setting off cross-country towards Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s headquarters at Shugkona. Fifty miles of dense timberland separate you from this town and, in current conditions, you estimate it will take at least two days to reach.</p>
2317       <choice idref="sect129">If you possess Animal Mastery <em>and</em> have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian or higher, <link-text>turn to 129</link-text>.</choice>
2318       <choice idref="sect88">If you do not possess this Discipline, or if you have yet to reach this level of Kai rank, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
2319      </data>
2320     </section>
2321
2322     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
2323      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
2324
2325      <data>
2326       <p>You flatten yourself against the bottom of the rowboat and listen to the gruff voices of the Drakkarim as you draw closer to their position. You hear splashes; then suddenly there is a loud thud and the rusty tip of an arrow punches its way through the side of the boat, stopping barely inches in front of your face. You hear the enemy<ch.apos/>s coarse laughter and you realize that they are simply using your boat for a spot of target practice. They are unaware that you are hiding inside. As you drift past them they rapidly lose interest in your craft. They put down their bows, pick up their makeshift fishing lines, and resume their efforts to catch themselves something to stave off their hunger.</p>
2327       <choice idref="sect251"><link-text>Turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
2328      </data>
2329     </section>
2330
2331     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
2332      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
2333
2334      <data>
2335       <p>Although you have been greatly weakened by your internment, your powers of Nexus are still sufficient to neutralize the effects of the noxious fumes.</p>
2336       <p>As your mind clears and your strength returns, you approach the circular door and take a closer look at its strange octagonal lock. It comprises a keyhole and a series of numbers, although one of the numbers is clearly missing. Experience tells you that this is a dual combination lock, one that can be opened either by key or by tapping in the correct number which is missing from the sequence.</p>
2337       <choice idref="sect304">If you possess a Green Key, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
2338       <choice idref="sect89">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
2339      </data>
2340     </section>
2341
2342     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
2343      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
2344
2345      <data>
2346       <p>You look down at your feet, and using your infravision, you see the outline of a huge, slug-like amphibian poised no more than a fathom below. Wrapped tightly around your legs are two rope-like tentacles which extend from a sac beneath the creature<ch.apos/>s solitary eye. You try to kick free but it will not easily let you go. Slowly it is drawing you deeper into the lake.</p>
2347       <p>Desperate to get free, you summon to mind the Elder Magi Battle-spell of <spell>Concussion</spell>. Then you project your right hand at the creature and a deep boom resonates in your head, its effect greatly amplified by the water. At once the creature releases you and dives for the shelter of its lair, trailing blood from those parts of its body which pass for its ears.</p>
2348       <p>Once free, you take hold of Prarg<ch.apos/>s tunic and pull him towards the jagged hole in the ice.</p>
2349       <choice idref="sect313"><link-text>Turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
2350      </data>
2351     </section>
2352
2353     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
2354      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
2355
2356      <data>
2357       <p>You release your drawstring and send the Arrow screaming towards the creature<ch.apos/>s hairless skull. Almost immediately it strikes the beast above its right eye and, although it does not penetrate bone, the shock of the impact knocks the Ciquali off its webbed feet and sends it tumbling backwards into the water.</p>
2358       <p>You shoulder your Bow and rush to help Prarg who is lying, barely conscious, with his face in the shallow water which is sloshing around at the bottom of the boat. You are reaching down to pull him over onto his back when suddenly you feel two pairs of scaly hands grab hold of your cloak. With a loud growl, you spin around and unsheathe your weapon in readiness to deal with your attackers.</p>
2359       <p>They are two Ciquali, their hides decorated with ritual scars which mark them as warriors of their tribe. At first they back away, shocked by the speed of your reflexes, but rapidly their nerve returns and, half-crouched, they glare at you with their hideous, bulging eyes. Their throat sacs swell and collapse with increasing rapidity as they approach the moment to strike; then, with a shrill screech, they raise their claw-tipped hands and leap simultaneously towards your chest.</p>
2360       <combat><enemy>Ciquali</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">30</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">27</enemy-attribute></combat>
2361       <choice idref="sect349">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
2362      </data>
2363     </section>
2364
2365     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
2366      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
2367
2368      <data>
2369       <p>Swiftly you rise up out of the snow and run to the tower where you meet up with Prarg at the foot of the wooden steps.</p>
2370       <p><quote>That guard<ch.apos/>ll not be raising any alarms,</quote> he says, cocking his thumb behind him towards the tower door. <quote>And they<ch.apos/>ll not find him too soon, neither.</quote></p>
2371       <p>You smile knowingly. Then Prarg points to an alleyway that lies sandwiched between two burnt-out hovels at the edge of the town, and suggests you go that way.</p>
2372       <p><quote>Lead on, captain,</quote> you say, and follow as he runs towards the alley<ch.apos/>s shadowy entrance.</p>
2373       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
2374      </data>
2375     </section>
2376
2377     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2378      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2379
2380      <data>
2381       <p>You draw your weapon, turn the corner, and run at the Death Knight with it held ready to strike him down. The warrior meets your stare and laughs. Confidently he parries your first blow, and then strikes out for your neck.</p>
2382       <combat><enemy>Death Knight</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">33</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">34</enemy-attribute></combat>
2383       <choice idref="sect191">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 191</link-text>.</choice>
2384      </data>
2385     </section>
2386
2387     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2388      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2389
2390      <data>
2391       <p>Despite the treacherous surface, your consummate climbing skills and natural grace of movement ensure that you do not falter for a moment. You clear this section of the chasm wall and reach the base safely.</p>
2392       <choice idref="sect78"><link-text>Turn to 78</link-text>.</choice>
2393      </data>
2394     </section>
2395
2396     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2397      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2398
2399      <data>
2400       <p>Once inside the stable you discover two horses. One is old and lame, but the other is young and powerfully built. Using your powers of Animal Control, you subdue them and lead the younger horse, a grey mare, from its stall. As you leave the stable you see Prarg pointing frantically towards the crest of the hill. A troop of Drakkarim cavalry are descending towards the bridge.</p>
2401       <p>Quickly you mount the mare and help Prarg to climb up upon her back. Then the enemy see you and immediately they sound a horn. Moments later an old Drakkar appears at the door to the cabin. He is holding a Bor musket, and when you fail to obey his command to halt, he levels his primitive gun at you and pulls the trigger.</p>
2402       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2403       <choice idref="sect288">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
2404       <choice idref="sect145">If it is 3<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
2405       <choice idref="sect342">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
2406      </data>
2407     </section>
2408
2409     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2410      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2411
2412      <data>
2413       <p>The Drakkar who is carrying the sack appears to be very anxious. His companion also seems wary and alert. As you are moving towards the doorway, he glimpses you and commands you to halt at once. When you do not obey, the two of them draw their swords and come running towards the doorway with their blades held ready to cut you down.</p>
2414       <combat><enemy>Drakkarim Escorts</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">30</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
2415       <choice idref="sect245">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
2416      </data>
2417     </section>
2418
2419     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2420      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2421
2422      <data>
2423       <p><quote>Heads!</quote> says Prarg.</p>
2424       <p>You remove your hand and uncover the proud countenance of King Ulnar V stamped on the face of the coin.</p>
2425       <p><quote>Well done, Prarg. You<ch.apos/>ve guessed correctly,</quote> you say, and press the Gold Crown back into your pouch. <quote>I<ch.apos/>ll stand the first watch<ch.emdash/>you get some sleep. We<ch.apos/>ve a long march ahead of us tomorrow and you<ch.apos/>ll need all your strength.</quote></p>
2426       <p>Prarg breathes a sigh of relief, and while he settles himself down to sleep in the relative comfort of the boat, you pull your cloak about you and climb to the top of Bear Rock where you begin your lonely vigil.</p>
2427       <p>For hours you sit on this windswept boulder, staring out through a curtain of swirling snow at the surrounding timber-line. Despite your fatigue you stay alert and your iron discipline pays off when, shortly before midnight, you sense movement at the forest<ch.apos/>s edge. Then your super-keen Kai senses detect an animal scent on the cold air which you recognize immediately: it is Akataz.</p>
2428       <choice idref="sect163"><link-text>Turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2429      </data>
2430     </section>
2431
2432     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2433      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2434
2435      <data>
2436       <p>The solid lump of oak is an executioner<ch.apos/>s block. Its surface is cut and scarred by blows from a heavy axe, and its sides are stained dark with the blood of a hundred Lencian prisoners who have lost their lives upon it.</p>
2437       <p>Suddenly your thoughts are disturbed by the rhythmic stamp of marching feet and your eyes are drawn to the avenue which runs alongside Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s headquarters. Down this thoroughfare come a regiment of Drakkarim. They file into the square and form up in three lines facing the platform. Then an open wagon, drawn by a brace of half-starved oxen, emerges from the alleyway beside the gaol. Captain Prarg is standing in the rear of the wagon with his hands tied behind his back. Despite the bumpy ride he stands rigidly at attention, proudly defiant in the face of imminent death. The wagon halts and the captain is dragged up onto the platform by three brutish gaolers. He is made to kneel down before the block as a Drakkarim officer hurriedly reads the contents of a scroll to the assembled troops. He is condemning the captain to death for spying. When he finishes the reading, he takes a two-handed axe from one of the gaolers and walks slowly across the platform towards the block. Clearly he intends to carry out the execution personally.</p>
2438
2439       <illustration class="float">
2440        <meta>
2441         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2442         <description>The captain is dragged up onto the platform and is made to kneel before the solid oak executioner<ch.apos/>s block.</description>
2443        </meta>
2444        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2445        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="632"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2446        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="632" />
2447       </illustration>
2448
2449       <choice idref="sect270">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
2450       <choice idref="sect85">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn instead to 85</link-text>.</choice>
2451      </data>
2452     </section>
2453
2454     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2455      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2456
2457      <data>
2458       <p>Suddenly the creature<ch.apos/>s expression changes from fierce anger to stark fear. It drops its flint weapons, turns on its heel, and scurries off along the tunnel as fast as it can. Your use of Animal Mastery has been successful; it has subdued the creature<ch.apos/>s natural instincts and totally shattered its will.</p>
2459
2460       <illustration class="inline">
2461        <meta>
2462         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2463        </meta>
2464        <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2465        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2466        <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2467       </illustration>
2468
2469       <p>Confident that it will not return, you take hold of the heavy chain and pull it to raise the grill a few feet off the walkway, just high enough for you to duck under the rusty bars and continue along this tunnel. After a few hundred yards, the tunnel turns to the south. At this point you discover a flight of slimy steps that ascend from the walkway towards a darkened arch.</p>
2470       <choice idref="sect33">If you wish to ascend the steps to the arch, <link-text>turn to 33</link-text>.</choice>
2471       <choice idref="sect274">If you decide to ignore the steps and continue along the tunnel, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2472      </data>
2473     </section>
2474
2475     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2476      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2477
2478      <data>
2479       <p>Your final blow kills the scarlet wasp-leader and immediately the surviving swarm members break off their attack. They stream towards the opening at the centre of the ceiling and disappear towards the sky at the top of the shaft, closely followed by the remainder of their colony.</p>
2480       <p>When you feel sure that the nests are empty, you reach up and take a grip of the rough brick which lines the shaft. It offers good purchase for your fingers and toes, enabling you to climb past the nests and reach the top of the shaft in a matter of minutes.</p>
2481       <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2482      </data>
2483     </section>
2484
2485     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2486      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2487
2488      <data>
2489       <p>The creature utters a spine-chilling shriek as it comes bounding towards you, its sabre-like teeth glinting in the wintry sun. You step back and draw your weapon just in time to defend yourself as it makes its first strike.</p>
2490       <combat><enemy>Mawtaw</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">43</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">50</enemy-attribute></combat>
2491       <p>This creature is immune to the effects of Mindblast and Psi-surge. If you choose to use Kai-surge, add only 1 point to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
2492       <p>If you possess Kai-alchemy and have reached the rank of Sun Knight, you may increase your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point scores by 5 each for the duration of this combat. At the end of combat, reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 5  unless it causes your score to fall to zero or below, in which case you should reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> total to 1 point.</p>
2493       <choice idref="sect24">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
2494      </data>
2495     </section>
2496
2497     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2498      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2499
2500      <data>
2501       <p>Fifty yards along the tunnel, you turn a corner and find yourself face-to-face with a nightmarish creature. From out of the gloom comes a lumbering hulk that fixes you with its pair of hungry scarlet eyes. The beast is covered with a vile fur which glistens in the eerie half-light of the tunnel, and its long sinewy arms are outstretched as if it is sleepwalking. But this beast is not asleep. In both of its huge hands it holds chunks of dagger-like flint which it wields like weapons. Its distended belly skims the floor as it gathers speed, and a brown gluey saliva runs freely from its fanged lower jaw.</p>
2502       <p>With a shriek, the creature comes lunging towards you, flailing the air with its dagger-flints as it closes in for the kill. You step back and get ready to defend yourself as the beast rushes towards you at a breathtaking pace.</p>
2503       <combat><enemy>Tunnel Stalker</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">43</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">48</enemy-attribute></combat>
2504       <choice idref="sect330">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
2505      </data>
2506     </section>
2507
2508     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2509      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2510
2511      <data>
2512       <p>You hear approaching footsteps; then through the open archway comes a Lencian soldier attired in the parade tunic and breeches of a Court Captain. He is unusually tall, but his most striking feature is his close-set eyes which are bright above his thin, hawk-like nose and bushy black moustache.</p>
2513       <p><quote>May I introduce you to Captain Prarg,</quote> says King Sarnac. <quote>He will be your guide.</quote></p>
2514       <p>The captain shakes your hand and bows his head respectfully.</p>
2515       <p><quote><ch.thinspace/><ch.apos/>Tis an honour to have been the one chosen to accompany you, Grand Master Lone Wolf, on such a noble quest.</quote></p>
2516       <choice idref="sect80"><link-text>Turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
2517      </data>
2518     </section>
2519
2520     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2521      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2522
2523      <data>
2524       <p>You watch the Drakkarim sergeant, who is pilfering his captain<ch.apos/>s private stock of wine, tilt the bottle back to take another long gulp. He belches loudly, and then bangs in the cork and replaces the bottle on the shelf before turning to leave. You wait until he is out of view before you slip into the cabin and close the door.</p>
2525
2526       <illustration class="inline">
2527        <meta>
2528         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2529        </meta>
2530        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="117"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2531        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="117"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2532        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="117" />
2533       </illustration>
2534
2535       <p>You hurry to the table but, to your disappointment, the map you glimpsed earlier turns out to be merely a construction plan of the encampment. It offers no clues to Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s present location.</p>
2536       <choice idref="sect344">If you wish to search this cabin more thoroughly, <link-text>turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
2537       <choice idref="sect277">If you choose to leave the cabin and return to Prarg, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
2538      </data>
2539     </section>
2540
2541     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2542      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2543
2544      <data>
2545       <p>You clamber over the bodies that are heaped chest-high around the shattered city gates; then you begin to fight your way steadily towards the centre of this terrible stronghold. Beyond the entrance you see that a wild battle is raging through the streets. A regiment of Lencian Crusaders are fighting to wrestle possession of the keep from a determined horde of Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s Drakkarim. The tide turns against the Lencians and as they are driven back towards the gates, you are forced to climb a stair which leads to the battlements in order to avoid being lost in the crush. Halfway up the steps you are attacked by a Drakkar armed with sword and shield. You duck his clumsy swipe and lash out at his chest. He catches your blow on his shield, but the sheer force of your attack hurls him down on the steps where he remains, cradling his broken arm, tears streaming down his soot-blackened face.</p>
2546
2547       <illustration class="inline">
2548        <meta>
2549         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2550        </meta>
2551        <instance class="html" src="small12.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2552        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small12.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2553        <instance class="pdf" src="small12.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2554       </illustration>
2555
2556       <p>You stride up the steps towards the battlements where a group of Lencians are locked in combat with two Death Knights. The Crusaders slay their enemies, but they, in turn, are slain when a bolt of crackling crimson energy rips through their shiny steel armour, fired from the tip of a wizard<ch.apos/>s staff. Their lifeless bodies come tumbling down the steps, knocking you flat on your back and pinning you down beneath the weight of their armour. You struggle to get free, but you are being observed by the one who slew the knights: an evil Nadziranim wizard. He levels his staff at your head and a swirling trail of sparks ignites at its tip. With imminent death staring you full in the face, you steel yourself to meet your maker.</p>
2557       <choice idref="sect177"><link-text>Turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
2558      </data>
2559     </section>
2560
2561     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2562      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2563
2564      <data>
2565       <p>You head towards an archway in the far wall, advancing with caution as you traverse the slippery mounds of rubble which litter the floor of this damp and unwholesome chamber. A short tunnel lies beyond the arch. It ends at a junction where a wider passageway crosses from west to east.</p>
2566       <choice idref="sect261">If you wish to go west, <link-text>turn to 261</link-text>.</choice>
2567       <choice idref="sect26">If you wish to go east, <link-text>turn to 26</link-text>.</choice>
2568      </data>
2569     </section>
2570
2571     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2572      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2573
2574      <data>
2575       <p>Whilst observing the guards, a bold idea springs to mind. You tell Prarg to take a firm grip of your cloak and stay close as you cross the clearing and approach to within twenty yards of the stone ramp. At this point you use your Discipline of Assimilance to summon a fog from out of the frozen ground. A dense white vapour arises which quickly envelops the guards before they can take steps to avoid it. Vainly, the two Tukodak shout to each other and stab at the mist with their spears, lest an enemy should be poised to attack them. With Prarg clinging to your cloak, you slip past the confused guards with ease and make your way into the tower unseen.</p>
2576       <choice idref="sect221"><link-text>Turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
2577      </data>
2578     </section>
2579
2580     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2581      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2582
2583      <data>
2584       <p>You run to the edge of the fissure and make your leap, but, as you take off, you slip on a loose stone and fall head-first into the yawning void.</p>
2585       <deadend>Tragically, your life and your quest end here in the Palace Tower of Darke.</deadend>
2586      </data>
2587     </section>
2588
2589     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2590      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2591
2592      <data>
2593       <p>After your meal, you leave Prarg and climb to the top of the river bank. Here, using your Grand Mastery, you send forth a mental command into the surrounding forest, summoning creatures to your aid. At first there is no response; then a pair of white Nyras timber wolves appear at the forest<ch.apos/>s edge and, upon your command, they approach you. Normally these wolves are wild and feral creatures, slave to nothing save their natural instincts, yet your mastery over them is total; they are utterly compliant to your will.</p>
2594       <p>You command the two wolves to guard your camp while you and Prarg are sleeping. With a blink of their eyes they acknowledge your order and settle themselves on their haunches. You return to the boat and tell Prarg what you have done. At first he is sceptical, but having already witnessed some of your powers in action, he does not protest too hard, especially as he can now look forward to a long sleep without having to stand watch. Unfortunately for Prarg, his hopes for an uninterrupted night<ch.apos/>s rest are soon shattered.</p>
2595       <choice idref="sect41"><link-text>Turn to 41</link-text>.</choice>
2596      </data>
2597     </section>
2598
2599     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2600      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2601
2602      <data>
2603       <p>You reach the tower steps and look up to see Captain Prarg emerging from the open door. Quickly he descends, sheathing his bloodied sword as he hurries down the steps to meet you.</p>
2604       <p><quote>That guard<ch.apos/>ll not be raising any alarms,</quote> he says, cocking his thumb behind him towards the tower door. <quote>And they<ch.apos/>ll not be finding him too soon, neither.</quote></p>
2605       <p>You smile knowingly, and commend your guide for his swift and brave action. Then Prarg points to an alleyway that lies sandwiched between two burnt-out hovels at the edge of the town, and suggests you enter Shugkona that way.</p>
2606       <p><quote>Lead on, captain,</quote> you say, and follow as he hurries off towards the alley<ch.apos/>s shadowy entrance.</p>
2607       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
2608      </data>
2609     </section>
2610
2611     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2612      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2613
2614      <data>
2615       <p>With mixed feelings you begin your trek through the forest. You are still hopeful of defeating Magnaarn, but you are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of having to foot-slog more than 250 miles in order to reach Darke, the city where you are most likely to find your sworn enemy.</p>
2616       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2617       <choice idref="sect216">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
2618       <choice idref="sect46">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
2619      </data>
2620     </section>
2621
2622     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2623      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2624
2625      <data>
2626       <p>Your acute hearing detects the faint sound of stone grating on stone. Then you notice that a line of loopholes are opening at chest height along both walls of the passageway, revealing the sticky sharpened tips of venom-coated spears.</p>
2627       <p><quote>Get down!</quote> you shout, and throw yourself flat onto the damp stone floor. Moments later, a volley of the deadly spears comes hurtling from out of the walls to smash and splinter in the passageway. Your timely warning saves you and Prarg from certain death, but one of the spears ricochets and gouges the back of your thigh.</p>
2628       <p>Your Magnakai Curing skills neutralize the venom, but the wound is deep and painful: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2629       <choice idref="sect325">To continue, <link-text>turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
2630      </data>
2631     </section>
2632
2633     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2634      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2635
2636      <data>
2637       <p>You raise your weapon and strike one of the sentries a killing blow as you slam through their brave but futile defence. They are trampled under your horse<ch.apos/>s hooves and you clear the gap, but it is not until you are racing along the road beyond the barricade that you realize you have been wounded in the leg: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2638       <choice idref="sect31">To continue, <link-text>turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
2639      </data>
2640     </section>
2641
2642     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2643      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2644
2645      <data>
2646       <p>The creature opens its great jaws and from the depths of its throat it coughs forth a guttering ball of flame. Immediately, your senses alert you to the fact that this is no ordinary fireball; it is wholly psychic in nature. It comes roaring towards you, like a mini-sun trailing fiery orange sparks, and although you try to dodge aside, it follows your feint and hits you in the back with numbing force. Unless you possess the Discipline of Kai-screen, lose 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2647       <p>The sudden jolt knocks you to the floor. Before you fully recover your footing, the creature seizes its advantage and comes leaping through the air towards your chest.</p>
2648       <choice idref="sect283"><link-text>Turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
2649      </data>
2650     </section>
2651
2652     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2653      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2654
2655      <data>
2656       <p>Within ten yards of the west bank the boat stops abruptly when it runs aground in the silted shallows.</p>
2657       <p><quote>Curse our fortunes,</quote> grumbles Prarg, peering over the side. <quote>I was a<ch.apos/>hoping we<ch.apos/>d be lucky enough t<ch.apos/>keep our feet dry.</quote> Wearily he searches through the provisions and produces a heavy rope, one end of which he proceeds to tie around the stem while you stow away the oars. Then, together, you slip into the cold knee-deep mud and begin the laborious task of hauling the boat towards dry ground.</p>
2658       <p>You encamp on a strip of frozen loam and use the upturned boat as a shelter from the elements. As night falls, so, too, does the temperature. You cast your experienced eye across the darkening skies and see banks of cloud, heavy with snow, scudding the distant horizon. They are an unwelcome sight, the precursors to a winter storm.</p>
2659       <p>Prarg volunteers to sit the first watch but, mindful that his need for rest is greater than yours, you insist that he be the first to get some sleep. For four hours you sit and scan the bleak horizon, your mind filled with unanswered questions about the mission and the dangers you have yet to face. While you ponder what may await you in the future, you remain watchful and alert, for the risk of an attack by the denizens of this swamp is ever present. Fortunately, the cold dissuades them from leaving their lairs this night and your watch passes without incident. Then the time comes for you to awaken Prarg. With a distinct lack of enthusiasm he takes over whilst you settle down to catch a few hours of much needed sleep.</p>
2660       <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2661      </data>
2662     </section>
2663
2664     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2665      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2666
2667      <data>
2668       <p>Immediately below the window of the grain tower sits a Drakkarim lancer astride his warhorse. He is one of a dozen troopers who have been posted around the perimeter of the square to guard its many exits, but he is more interested in watching the execution than carrying out his duty. His lance is sheathed in a tube-like scabbard fixed to the rear of his saddle, and all his attention is focused on the platform. He is unaware that you are hiding barely a few yards from where he sits.</p>
2669       <p>The officer puts away his oiled stone and a murmur of expectation ripples through the assembled Drakkarim as he gets ready to raise the axe. Captain Prarg has no more than a few minutes left to live; you must act now if you are to save him. Using a Brotherhood Spell <spell>Mind Charm</spell> you will the lancer to dismount from his horse, and at once he obeys your mental command. He climbs down, and as he wanders away, you leap from the open window and land in the empty saddle. Seizing the reins you spur the horse forward and it takes off across the square at a gallop. Then you unholster the lance and bring it to bear as you race headlong towards the backs of the Drakkarim soldiers who are standing between you and the platform.</p>
2670       <choice idref="sect63"><link-text>Turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2671      </data>
2672     </section>
2673
2674     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2675      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2676
2677      <data>
2678       <p>You pull your cloak close about your shoulders and draw upon your camouflage skills to keep you hidden as you follow the two Drakkarim towards the town gates. Their sergeant berates them; then he orders them to assist with a new influx of Lencians, just arrived. They are all so preoccupied with their duties that they fail to see you stride confidently through the open gates and into the town. Once safely inside, you head towards a dark, deserted alleyway which is sandwiched between a stables and an armoury. From here you observe the compound with a growing anger and pity for those trapped inside. Stirred by their plight, you vow to do what you can to help these starving men. Patiently you watch and wait for the patrols to pass; then you scurry towards the compound fence, eager to make contact with the Lencians.</p>
2679       <choice idref="sect150"><link-text>Turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
2680      </data>
2681     </section>
2682
2683     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2684      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2685
2686      <data>
2687       <p>After several minutes spent surveying the gloomy chasm, you note two promising features. One is situated fifty feet or so directly above your head. At first it merely looks like a narrow ledge of rock with a grey semicircular shadow poised above it, but when you look closely, you see that it is the mouth of a passageway.</p>
2688       <p>The second feature lies far below you. It is a large, brick-lined tunnel situated at the eastern edge of the chasm floor, through which the waters of the dark river flow away. This, too, may offer a way out of this subterranean prison.</p>
2689       <choice idref="sect224">If you wish to attempt to climb the chasm wall and enter the passageway above, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
2690       <choice idref="sect193">If you wish to attempt to descend to the floor of the chasm and escape via the river tunnel, <link-text>turn to 193</link-text>.</choice>
2691      </data>
2692     </section>
2693
2694     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2695      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2696
2697      <data>
2698       <p>Desperately you hack and stab at the ice but it simply will not break. Reluctantly you abandon the attempt, sheathe your weapon, arid run back towards the jagged hole. You have no choice now but to enter the water. Prarg will soon be beyond help if you delay much longer.</p>
2699       <p>You take a deep breath and launch yourself feet-first into the icy lake. At first, as the dark water closes over your head, your senses are numbed by the intense cold. Then your Magnakai skill of Nexus protects your body and the terrible chill gives way to a warm, tingling sensation.</p>
2700       <p>Using your infravision, you detect Prarg by the warmth radiating from his body. He is caught upon a jagged ridge of ice and, as you take hold of his tunic and try to pull him free, suddenly you feel unable to move. Something has taken hold of your legs!</p>
2701       <choice idref="sect110">If you possess Magi-magic, <link-text>turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
2702       <choice idref="sect326">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
2703      </data>
2704     </section>
2705
2706     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2707      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2708
2709      <data>
2710       <p>Within the hour the final preparations for your airborne voyage to Lencia are completed, and Lord Floras and you are piped aboard the <cite>Skyrider</cite> by Bo<ch.apos/>sun Nolrim and his cheerful crew of dwarves. You exchange a few reminiscences with each of the jovial crewmen and cannot help but smile when they tell you how proud they feel to have been given the chance to serve you once more.</p>
2711       <p>Nolrim takes the helm and you sense a vibration run down the length of the deck as he coaxes the craft<ch.apos/>s powerful engine to life. Lord Floras joins you at the prow and together you wave a farewell to Rimoah and your fellow Kai as, steadily, the <cite>Skyrider</cite> ascends into the crisp, wintry sky. Then, with a sudden surge of power, the keel clears the battlements of the Tower of the Sun and swiftly the monastery and its inhabitants recede into the distance.</p>
2712       <p>You and your companion are escorted to a warm cabin at the bow which has been prepared especially for your passage. It is well stocked with provisions and, spread out across a grand oak table, you find several maps of Northern Magnamund. Aided by Lord Floras, you study these maps and use them to chart your course to the Lencian city-port of Vadera. Bo<ch.apos/>sun Nolrim is informed of your chosen route and, as he sets about implementing your course, you settle back to enjoy what will be a long voyage. By your calculations, it will take thirty hours for the <cite>Skyrider</cite> to reach its destination.</p>
2713       <p>During your voyage, Lord Floras recounts the dramatic events which have taken place in the Western Tentarias since the demise of the Darklords. Prior to their fall, the Drakkarim nations had for many centuries kept the Lencians at bay. Countless crusades had been undertaken to recapture their former lands but all had ended in costly defeat for the House of Sarnac. Then, two years ago, the tide finally turned when the King launched an invasion across the Gulf of Lencia into the lands of Zaldir and Nyras. The boldness of his strategy and the unpreparedness of his enemies combined to win for him many victories in the early months of the war. Much of Zaldir and all of southern Nyras were taken and held by his conquering knights, and now the lines of battle are drawn diagonally across the centre of Nyras, from Lake Lenag in the north to the marshland fortress of Lozonzee in the east. However, King Sarnac cannot lay claim to total victory in the south, for the cities of Shpyder and Darke have defied all his attempts at capture. Their Drakkarim garrisons have steadfastly held on to these important strongholds and, although they have been surrounded and besieged for more than a year, still they refuse to surrender.</p>
2714
2715       <illustration class="inline">
2716        <meta>
2717         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2718        </meta>
2719        <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2720        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2721        <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2722       </illustration>
2723
2724       <p><quote>At present, the war is focused around the towns of Hokidat and Konozod,</quote> says Lord Floras, tracing a circle around their location on the map with the tip of his index finger. <quote>Many battles have been fought here but victory has, as yet, eluded us. Now, with the onset of a cruel winter, our advance has ground to a halt. Maintaining the sieges at Shpyder and Darke has drained us of troops and resources that would have been put to better use in the north. To compensate for this shortage, the King has employed many companies of foreign mercenaries to reinforce his armies in the field, but their services are expensive and the campaign has already proved costly, both in revenue and lives. The King is hard-pressed to pay for their continued loyalty and already several regiments have deserted. If Magnaarn were to complete his quest and strike now, whilst our battle lines are weakened, his counterattack could push us all the way back to the sea.</quote></p>
2725       <p>Lord Floras<ch.apos/> report is sobering, yet it serves to strengthen your determination to thwart Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s quest. Later, shortly before nightfall, you leave the cabin and go up to the stern deck for a breath of fresh air. In quiet solitude you see the great expanse of the Slovarian Plain passing by more than a mile beneath the craft and, as you watch, you lose yourself in thoughts of what may await your arrival in Lencia. The night sky is clear and laced with twinkling stars. As you return to the cabin to sleep, you draw comfort from the thought that the weather and the stars have seen fit to help speed your night passage to Vadera.</p>
2726       <choice idref="sect257"><link-text>Turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
2727      </data>
2728     </section>
2729
2730     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2731      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2732
2733      <data>
2734       <p>One of your scouts hurries to your side and takes hold of your arm, fearful that you have been mortally wounded. You pull away and brusquely you tell him that you are not seriously hurt and that he should watch where he steps in future. Sheepishly he follows as you creep forward through the snow, using the sparse undergrowth to your advantage wherever possible. You move deeper into the copse until you spy where the arrow came from. A small camp is hidden among the trees. It comprises four white canvas tents attended by a dozen lean and hungry-looking human soldiers armed with longbows. A furled battle-flag stands propped against one of the tents and you ask your scout if he recognizes its chequered black-and-white design.</p>
2735       <p><quote>They<ch.apos/>re League-landers of Ilion,</quote> he whispers. <quote>I know that flag well. They<ch.apos/>re good mercenaries, these men, loyal to the King. We fought alongside them at Hokidat.</quote></p>
2736       <p>You are anxious about risking another volley of arrows, but when you tell your companion of your fears, he smiles.</p>
2737       <p><quote>Don<ch.apos/>t worry, Sire,</quote> he says, <quote>I know how to make safe contact with them.</quote></p>
2738       <choice idref="sect8"><link-text>Turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
2739      </data>
2740     </section>
2741
2742     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2743      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2744
2745      <data>
2746       <p>Abandoning the shelter of the bridge, you work your way slowly along the ice-filled ditch to a point directly in front of the south trench. Here you settle to observe the Drakkarim guards who are dutifully keeping watch over this sector. All you can see of them is their brutal faces peering over the rim of their dugout, but, after a while, one by one these faces disappear. Your keen hearing detects the sound of laughter, some clicks, and a few Giak curses, and judging by what you have heard you hazard a guess that the guards are busy gambling with dice.</p>
2747       <p>You decide that now would be the best time to make your move, while the guards are distracted from their duty. Prarg insists that he lead the way; he has crossed here once before and he knows a safe way through. The ground in front of the trench-line looks clear but there are concealed pits out there just waiting to snare the careless or unwary. You nod your agreement and follow in his wake as he crawls a zigzagging route towards the distant trench.</p>
2748       <p>Two minutes later you reach the mound of frost-hardened earth abutting the dugout. Silently you motion to Prarg to get ready to attack, but before he can draw his sword, one of the enemy guards pops his head up to take a cursory glance over the parapet. He is less than an arm<ch.apos/>s length from you, and his eyes and mouth spring open with sheer terror when he finds himself staring into the face of a Kai Grand Master!</p>
2749       <p>Instinctively you lash out with the edge of your hand, aiming for his right temple, hoping to render him unconscious before he can warn his confederates. But the shock of seeing you makes him reel backwards, and your blow misses by a hair<ch.apos/>s breadth.</p>
2750       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2751       <choice idref="sect206">If the number you have chosen is 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 206</link-text>.</choice>
2752       <choice idref="sect337">If it is 3<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 337</link-text>.</choice>
2753       <choice idref="sect164">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
2754      </data>
2755     </section>
2756
2757     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2758      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2759
2760      <data>
2761       <p>You face the portal and shape your mouth in readiness to emit the battle-spell <spell>Power Word</spell>, as taught to you by your trusted friend, Lord Rimoah.</p>
2762       <p><spell>Gloar!</spell></p>
2763       <p>The word slams into the portal<ch.apos/>s lock like an invisible hammer before reverberating around the walls of this confined chamber. A spider<ch.apos/>s web of cracks appear in the surface of the portal and, when you place your shoulder to it and push hard, the lock breaks and the door gives way.</p>
2764       <choice idref="sect11"><link-text>Turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
2765      </data>
2766     </section>
2767
2768     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2769      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2770
2771      <data>
2772       <p>Without a rigged sail, the stinking marsh wind propels your boat along the channel at a far slower rate. Gradually you approach the cluster of huts and, as you pass before them, you see eight dwellings, each built of mud-daubed roots and thatched with rotting vegetation. They are empty but they have not been deserted. The shoreline is littered with bones, the remnants of past meals, and nearby is a crude wooden frame on which the skins of a snake and a lizard have been stretched out to dry.</p>
2773       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s a Ciquali camp,</quote> whispers Prarg nervously, his eyes scouring the surrounding waters for the slightest sign of movement. During your travels you have heard tales about the Ciquali, none of which were favourable. They are the bane of the Hellswamp<ch.emdash/>a breed of vicious amphibians, intelligent and cunning, with a taste for human flesh that makes them especially dangerous.</p>
2774       <p><quote>Our luck<ch.apos/>s good, Lone Wolf,</quote> says Prarg, as gradually the wind carries you beyond the huts. <quote>The camp<ch.apos/>s empty<ch.emdash/>they must be away hunting. Truly we<ch.apos/>re fortunate to have come this way this time.</quote></p>
2775       <p>As soon as you lose sight of the settlement, you hoist the sail and catch the prevailing wind which propels you northwards along Dakushna<ch.apos/>s Channel. You are hungry, and unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2776       <choice idref="sect322">To continue, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
2777      </data>
2778     </section>
2779
2780     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2781      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2782
2783      <data>
2784       <p>There is a loud <onomatopoeia>bang</onomatopoeia> and a great grey cloud billows from the muzzle of the musket. It startles the horse, but you swiftly control the animal and urge it forwards, out onto the road. Quickly you make your escape northwards, hidden from the eyes of your pursuing enemy by the acrid cloud of gunpowder smoke.</p>
2785       <p>Your ears are ringing but otherwise you escape unharmed. Prarg however has not been so lucky. His arm and shoulder are bleeding from where he has been grazed by buckshot. You halt as soon as you can, and using your healing skills, you mend his wounds before continuing on your way. The use of your powers reduces your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score by 3.</p>
2786       <p>The mare is strong and sure-footed, and you quickly cover eight miles before you encounter something on the road ahead which makes you halt for a second time.</p>
2787       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2788      </data>
2789     </section>
2790
2791     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2792      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2793
2794      <data>
2795       <p>From here you hurry into the new tunnel in search of a clear route to the surface. Unfortunately, your hopes for a quick escape are soon dashed when you arrive at a ruined staircase. It leads to a landing where you are confronted by the corpse of a Drakkarim guard, slumped beside a mound of rubble which is blocking the stairs to the level above. A quick examination of the dead body reveals that both arms are broken. Injured and trapped here by the falling rocks, it appears that this guard eventually died of thirst.</p>
2796       <choice idref="sect247">If you wish to search the body further, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
2797       <choice idref="sect347">If you wish to attempt to clear away the rubble that is blocking the stairs, <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2798      </data>
2799     </section>
2800
2801     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2802      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2803
2804      <data>
2805       <p>The bolt hits the lock and, to your horror, it rebounds and hits you full in the chest.</p>
2806       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. The number you have picked is equivalent to the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost as a result of this backfire (0 = 10). If you have survived this setback, make the necessary adjustment to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2807       <p>Reluctantly, you abandon any thought of opening this door and retrace your steps to the junction. Prarg leads you along the opposite passageway until you come to a corner. He turns the corner before you can warn him otherwise, and finds himself staring at the brutish features of a Drakkarim Death Knight sergeant. The warrior<ch.apos/>s curses echo loudly along the narrow corridor as he draws his sword and comes striding towards your careless companion.</p>
2808       <choice idref="sect241">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
2809       <choice idref="sect113">If you do not, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
2810      </data>
2811     </section>
2812
2813     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2814      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2815
2816      <data>
2817       <p>As your slain enemies keel over backwards and splash into the mire, you spin around to see your companion grappling with a Ciquali in a desperate hand-to-hand combat. Prarg has lost his sword and the fight is going badly for him. The creature is by far the largest of the attacking pack and much of its muscular body is protected by armour, crudely fashioned from human bones. Anxious to help your companion, you rush forward and strike the creature a mighty blow at the base of its skull, opening a fearful wound. For a few moments the Ciquali continues to fight on as if unaffected by your blow; then its webbed hands spring open, letting Prarg, who is barely conscious, fall limply to the bottom of the boat. The beast touches a hand to its shattered skull and a look of astonishment fixes upon its ugly face when it sees its gore-stained palm. You raise your weapon to strike again, to finish the creature once and for all, but a second blow proves unnecessary. Its eyes roll backwards in their sockets; then stiffly the Ciquali falls sideways over the gunwale and sinks without trace beneath the slimy water.</p>
2818       <p>As one, the remaining Ciquali turn away from the boat and disappear as quickly as they had come, slipping back to the cold, dark safety of their hiding places beneath the surface. Silence returns, and for a long moment you stand alert, suspecting trickery. Then slowly you relax; they have gone.</p>
2819       <p>Aided by your healing skills, Prarg makes a speedy recovery from the battering he sustained in combat with the Ciquali chieftain. The boat, too, has survived the attack and you are able to continue without further delay. As soon as you pass the obstruction, you hoist the sail and catch the prevailing wind which propels you northwards along the channel beyond.</p>
2820       <p>You are hungry after your encounter. Unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2821       <choice idref="sect322">To continue, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
2822      </data>
2823     </section>
2824
2825     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2826      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2827
2828      <data>
2829       <p>You clamber out of the cellar and set off after the Drakkarim with weapon in hand, determined to free your companion from their clutches, but as you hurry into the western avenue you see that they have already joined with the troops who are escorting the covered wagon. The wagon has halted and you count more than fifty Drakkarim jostling the helpless Prarg, bullying and cursing him vilely. More than one voice calls out in the Giak tongue<ch.emdash/><quote>Let<ch.apos/>s kill the Lencian spy!</quote></p>
2830       <p>Fearful that they are going to beat him to death, you decide to charge headlong into the crowd in a desperate attempt to save him, despite the overwhelming odds against your success. But before you can act, a Drakkarim officer on horseback appears and commands the troops to order. An uneasy silence descends on the group; then dutifully they step away from Prarg and form up in a column facing the officer and his mount. Prarg, who has been left lying on the ground, barely conscious, is bundled into the wagon. The officer raises his hand and the wagon trundles off along the avenue towards a distant square, with the troop of soldiers marching smartly in its wake.</p>
2831       <p>You follow and observe, taking in every aspect, every detail that might help you to free your companion. When you reach the square at the end of the avenue, you discover that it is dominated by a tall tower. It is Magnaarn<ch.apos/>s tower. His flag, emblazoned with the emblem of a black eagle clutching two fiery swords, flutters lazily from its slender wooden spire. The wagon draws up in front of a building adjacent to the tower and Prarg is dragged unceremoniously inside. Judging by the bars which adorn its windows, and the armed guards at its entrance, you hazard a guess that this is the Shugkona Gaol.</p>
2832
2833       <illustration class="inline">
2834        <meta>
2835         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2836        </meta>
2837        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2838        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2839        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2840       </illustration>
2841
2842       <p>Patiently you watch the square for several minutes while you try to formulate a plan. Then the assembled troops are galvanized into action when an order from their officer sends them off in pairs to search the town for other spies. Several Drakkarim come towards your location and you are forced to seek somewhere to hide. Looking around you can see only two dwellings that may offer some hope of a safe haven. The first is a warehouse; the second a stables.</p>
2843       <choice idref="sect324">If you wish to hide in the warehouse, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
2844       <choice idref="sect96">If you choose to hide in the stables, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
2845      </data>
2846     </section>
2847
2848     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2849      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2850
2851      <data>
2852       <p>Huddled together in a corner of the compound, away from the other prisoners, is a small group of men-at-arms. The fronts of their tattered blue coats bear the emblem of a crown set above the crest of Vadera identifying them to be of the same regiment<ch.emdash/>the Imperial Vadera Guard<ch.emdash/>one of Lencia<ch.apos/>s finest. Using your Magnakai skills to avoid detection, you make your way to the fence and try to attract their attention. One of their number, a captain, sees you and is immediately suspicious. You signal to him to come closer and, reluctantly at first, he crawls towards the fence.</p>
2853
2854       <illustration class="float">
2855        <meta>
2856         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2857         <description>A captain of the Imperial Vadera Guard crawls reluctantly towards the fence in response to your signal.</description>
2858        </meta>
2859        <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="595"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2860        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="595"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2861        <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="595" />
2862       </illustration>
2863
2864       <p><quote>You<ch.apos/>re not Drakkarim or Lencian. Who are you? What do you want?</quote> he hisses, through cracked lips that are blue with hunger and cold. <quote>Is this another Drakkarim trick devised to torment us?</quote></p>
2865       <p><quote>This is no trick,</quote> you whisper in reply, trying hard to reassure him, <quote>I<ch.apos/>m an ally in the service of your King. I want to help you and your men to escape.</quote></p>
2866       <p>He holds you with his steely-grey eyes and slowly shakes his head.</p>
2867       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s too late to help us,</quote> he says, sadly. <quote>We<ch.apos/>re too weak to resist. Some have tried and they<ch.apos/>ve all died in the jaws of the dogs. No, you save yourself, stranger. Forget us.</quote></p>
2868       <p><quote>But if you stay here you<ch.apos/>ll starve to death,</quote> you retort. <quote>Surely it<ch.apos/>s better to die fighting than waste away. The garrison here is small, barely forty in number. I could cause a diversion and draw their dogs away. Your men may be weakened but still they outnumber the enemy five times over. For Ishir<ch.apos/>s sake, man, have you lost the will to live?</quote></p>
2869       <p>The Lencian captain glances over his shoulder at his starving comrades and, when he turns to face you once more, you see a faint glimmer of hope in his eyes.</p>
2870       <p><quote>All of these men have been more than a week without food or shelter. Many have died, many are near to death. I fear they are too weak to fight an enemy who has food in his belly and a sword in his hand. Perhaps<ch.ellips/>if we had weapons<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
2871       <p><quote>If you do as I say, you<ch.apos/>ll have weapons enough to pluck this town from under their very noses,</quote> you reply, earnestly.</p>
2872       <p>The Lencian narrows his eyes, and for a moment, the trace of a smile softens his gaunt features.</p>
2873       <p><quote>Very well, stranger. Tell me your plan.</quote></p>
2874       <choice idref="sect61"><link-text>Turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
2875
2876      </data>
2877     </section>
2878
2879     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2880      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2881
2882      <data>
2883       <p>Thanks to your Kai skills, the two Tukodak guards do not see you until it is too late. From the base of the stone ramp you launch a lightning attack which dispatches them both before they can attempt to raise the alarm.</p>
2884       <choice idref="sect311"><link-text>Turn to 311</link-text>.</choice>
2885      </data>
2886     </section>
2887
2888     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2889      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2890
2891      <data>
2892       <p>You utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Lightning Hand</spell> and a crackling blast of electrical energy leaps from your fingers. The fiery bolt hits the advancing creature, stunning it momentarily, but it soon recovers and presses home its attack with renewed determination.</p>
2893       <choice idref="sect297"><link-text>Turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
2894      </data>
2895     </section>
2896
2897     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2898      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2899
2900      <data>
2901       <p>You crash down upon the unsuspecting lancer, but the shock of impact does not unseat him and desperately he struggles to fend you off. He wounds your forearm with his sabre before you succeed in knocking him out of the saddle: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2902       <p>You seize control of the startled horse and take off across the square, unholstering the lance as you gallop headlong towards the mass of Drakkarim soldiers who stand between you and the platform.</p>
2903       <choice idref="sect63"><link-text>Turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2904      </data>
2905     </section>
2906
2907     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2908      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2909
2910      <data>
2911       <p>You reach the hamlet and hurry along its solitary road. Flanking you are two rows of low cottages, their thick-thatched roofs still intact despite the fiery carnage that has swept so near. Off to the right you see a barn-like building standing with its door ajar. A brazier of coals, an anvil, and a scattering of iron strips prove it to have once been a busy smithy. But now, like the surrounding buildings, it is seemingly deserted.</p>
2912
2913       <illustration class="float">
2914        <meta>
2915         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2916         <description>A Lencian Crusader rushes out into the road brandishing a heavy steel mace in his left hand.</description>
2917        </meta>
2918        <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="604"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2919        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="604"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2920        <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="604" />
2921       </illustration>
2922
2923       <p>You are passing the open door when suddenly you hear a man<ch.apos/>s voice. He has a strong Lencian accent and he is cursing you, thinking you to be a turncoat Stornland mercenary. As you turn to face the smithy door, a Lencian Crusader comes rushing out into the road, brandishing a heavy steel mace in his left hand. You yell at him that you are loyal to King Sarnac, but he ignores your plea and swings his weapon wildly at your head.</p>
2924       <combat><enemy>Lencian Crusader</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">34</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
2925       <p>Throughout this combat you are attempting to strike a blow that will render the knight unconscious. Fight this combat using the normal combat procedure.</p>
2926       <choice idref="sect272">If you manage to reduce the knight<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> to zero or below, <link-text>turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
2927      </data>
2928     </section>
2929
2930     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2931      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2932
2933      <data>
2934       <p>As you struggle to kill the last Gorodon, suddenly you catch sight of Prarg attacking the creature from the rear. Having witnessed your desperate plight, he has brought the boat back to shore and grounded it nearby. Now, with his help, swiftly you seal the doom of this last swamp-creature.</p>
2935       <p>Shaken by your hard-won battle, Prarg helps you back to the boat and places you aboard.</p>
2936       <p><quote>That was a mite too close for comfort,</quote> he says, as he frees the oars and sets them in place.</p>
2937       <p><quote>You can count yourself lucky to have escaped with your life. The first time I navigated these channels I lost three good men in a Gorodon attack. Those beasts are the bane of this accursed place<ch.ellips/>yet, <ch.apos/>tis true to say, there are other creatures here that are far deadlier.</quote></p>
2938       <p>Soon you reach the west bank where, once safely ashore, you encamp on a strip of frozen loam that overlooks a bleak expanse of marsh. Night has fallen and so, too, has the temperature. From the shelter of your upturned boat you cast your experienced eye across the darkening skies and see banks of cloud, heavy with snow, scudding the distant horizon. They are an unwelcome sight, the precursors to a winter storm.</p>
2939       <p>Prarg volunteers to continue the first watch but, mindful that his need for rest is greater than yours, you insist that he gets some sleep. For four hours you sit and scan the bleak horizon, your mind filled with unanswered questions about the mission and the dangers you have yet to face. While you ponder what awaits you in the near future, you remain watchful and alert, your encounter on the east bank still vivid in your mind. Fortunately, the increasing cold dissuades the Hellswamp<ch.apos/>s inhabitants from leaving their lairs this night and your watch passes without further incident.</p>
2940       <p>Then the time comes for you to awaken Prarg. With a noticeable lack of enthusiasm he takes his turn while you settle yourself down to catch a few hours of much needed sleep.</p>
2941       <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2942
2943
2944      </data>
2945     </section>
2946
2947     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2948      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2949
2950      <data>
2951       <p>For fifteen days you tunnel through a solid wall of earth and broken rock, using your weapons and bare hands, sustained all the while by little more than your indefatigable spirit and will to survive. You are near to giving up when, mid-way through the sixteenth day of your internment, you suddenly break through into a passageway that is free of debris. Weak but alive, you drag yourself into this empty tunnel and collapse on the damp, fungi-covered floor.</p>
2952
2953       <illustration class="inline">
2954        <meta>
2955         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2956        </meta>
2957        <instance class="html" src="small10.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2958        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small10.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2959        <instance class="pdf" src="small10.pdf" width="386" height="150" />