b2523890e40de1afaac65755369e7b70e0e2b06f
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 21votm.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14  <meta>
15   <title>Voyage of the Moonstone</title>
16   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
17   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Newton, Trevor">Trevor Newton</creator>
18   <creator class="short">Joe Dever and Trevor Newton</creator>
19   <creator class="medium">
20    <line>Joe Dever</line>
21    <line>Illustrated by Trevor Newton</line>
22   </creator>
23   <creator class="long">
24    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.lw;
25    &inclusion.trevor.newton.bio.lw;
26   </creator>
27   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
28   <date class="publication"><year>2012</year><month>10</month><day>28</day></date>
29   <description class="blurb">
30    <p>The Moonstone is a legendary artefact that was created by the god-like Shianti. It contains the might of all their magic and wisdom, the sum of their divine knowledge. Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>Supreme Master of the Kai<ch.emdash/>has succeeded in retrieving it from the clutches of Naar, the King of the Darkness.</p>
31    <p>Now the Moonstone must be returned to its creators who are exiled upon the remote Isle of Lorn in Southern Magnamund. Someone must take the fabled artefact to the Shianti and Lone Wolf has chosen you, the most promising warrior among the ranks of the New Order Kai, to carry out this vital mission. Armed with the special weapons and skills of a New Order Grand Master, you embark upon a secret voyage to the distant Isle of Lorn. However, your mission quickly becomes a life-and-death struggle when you encounter intrigue and deadly danger <foreign xml:lang="fr">en route</foreign>.</p>
32   </description>
33   <description class="publication">
34    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="http://www.projectaon.org/">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
35   </description>
36   <rights class="copyrights">
37    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Joe Dever.</line>
38    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Trevor Newton.</line>
39   </rights>
40   <rights class="license-notification">
41    <p>
42     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> Joe Dever.</line>
43     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> Trevor Newton.</line>
44     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
45    </p>
46   </rights>
47  </meta>
48
49  <section id="toc">
50   <meta />
51   <data />
52  </section>
53
54  <section id="title">
55   <meta>
56    <title>Title Page</title>
57    <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
58   </meta>
59
60   <data>
61
62    <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
63     <meta>
64      <title>Dedication</title>
65      <link class="prev" idref="title" />
66      <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
67     </meta>
68
69       <footnotes>
70        <footnote id="dedicate-1-foot" idref="dedicate-1">
71         <p>Aung San Suu Kyi is a renowned pro-democracy activist, advocate of non-violence, and prisoner of conscience in Burma.</p>
72        </footnote>
73       </footnotes>
74
75     <data>
76      <p class="dedication">
77       <line><ch.lsquot/>Fear is a habit. I<ch.apos/>m not afraid<ch.rsquot/></line>
78       <line>For Aung San Suu Kyi<footref id="dedicate-1" idref="dedicate-1-foot"/></line>
79      </p>
80     </data>
81    </section>
82
83    <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
84     <meta>
85      <title>Acknowledgements</title>
86      <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
87      <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
88     </meta>
89
90     <data>
91
92      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
93
94      <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
95       <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
96
97       <data>
98        <dl>
99         <dt>Transcription</dt>
100          <dd>
101           <line>Stuart Bradshaw</line>
102          </dd>
103        <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
104          <dd>
105           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
106           <line>Ryan Marshall</line>
107          </dd>
108         <dt>XML</dt>
109          <dd>
110           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
111           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
112          </dd>
113         <dt>Action Charts</dt>
114          <dd>
115           <line>JC Alvarez</line>
116           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
117          </dd>
118         <dt>Alternate Illustrations</dt>
119          <dd>
120           <line>Jan Charv<ch.aacute/>t (Map)</line>
121           <line>Brian Williams (Weapons, Equipment)</line>
122          </dd>
123         <dt>Proofreading</dt>
124          <dd>
125           <line>Sean Donald</line>
126          </dd>
127         <dt>Editing</dt>
128          <dd>
129           <line>Sean Donald</line>
130           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
131           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
132           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
133           <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
134          </dd>
135         <dt>Coordination</dt>
136          <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
137         <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
138          <dd><line>Jan Charv<ch.aacute/>t, Benjamin Krefetz, Chris Neilson, Anders <ch.Ouml/>sterberg, Robert Wellock.</line>
139          <line>We would also like to extend special thanks to Anita Newton for her blessing in using her husband<ch.apos/>s work as part of Project Aon.</line></dd>
140        </dl>
141       </data>
142      </section>
143
144     </data>
145    </section>
146
147    <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
148     <meta>
149      <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
150      <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
151      <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
152     </meta>
153
154     <data>
155      <p>You are a Kai Grand Master of the New Order of the Kai<ch.emdash/>the warrior <ch.eacute/>lite of Sommerlund.</p>
156
157      <p>It is the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5083 and thirty-three years have passed since the First Order of the Kai was almost wiped out by the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent by the Dark God Naar to destroy your fertile world of Magnamund, have since been destroyed. The leader of your illustrious fighting order<ch.emdash/>the legendary warrior Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>was the sole survivor of the First Order of the Kai, and as a young initiate he had stood amid the burning wreckage of the old Kai Monastery and had vowed to avenge the massacre of his comrades. In the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5070 he was to keep his pledge when alone he infiltrated the foul domain of the Darklords and destroyed the base of their power<ch.emdash/>the infernal city of Helgedad.</p>
158
159      <p>With the fall of Helgedad, chaos befell the Darkland armies who had, until then, been poised to conquer all of Magnamund. Quickly their disorder escalated into a mutinous civil war which allowed the Freeland armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a successful counter-offensive. Against all odds, a swift and total victory was secured over the feuding armies of evil.</p>
160
161      <p>Following the demise of the Darklords, peace reigned in your homeland of Sommerlund. Under the direction of Lone Wolf the ruined Monastery of the Kai was rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and the raising of a New Order of Kai warriors was swiftly reestablished. You are one of this new generation of Kai recruits. You were born in Sommerlund in the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5063, during the era of war against the Darklords, and you were sent by your father to the Kai Monastery at the age of seven to develop your martial skills and the latent Kai abilities which lie dormant in some Sommlending. During the years that followed, your skills were nurtured and honed to perfection by long hours of study and rigorous training. Your exceptional talent helped you to master all of the Kai and Magnakai Disciplines and you rose swiftly through the ranks of the New Order to become one of only five who now hold the high rank of Kai Grand Master. It is an achievement which has brought great honour upon you and your family.</p>
162
163      <p>In the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5077 your skill and courage were put to the test when an attack was launched upon the Kai Monastery during Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s absence. By means of a Shadow Gate (an astral corridor between the physical world of Sommerlund and the many ethereal domains which lie beyond it) the Dark God sent forth a host of dragon-creatures to besiege the monastery and lay waste to all Sommerlund. He had chosen his time well, yet his evil plan was thwarted by the tenacious defence that you and your brethren maintained until the siege was raised by Lone Wolf and the King<ch.apos/>s Army of Sommerlund.</p>
164
165      <p>The defeat of his minions enraged the Dark God and inflamed his lust for vengeance. Three years later he created and sent to Sommerlund an evil champion called <quote>Wolf<ch.apos/>s Bane</quote> who was the very image of Lone Wolf. While your leader was engaged upon a quest overseas, this impostor terrorized your homeland in his guise and sought to destroy the reputation and the honour of the Kai. He would have succeeded had not Lone Wolf returned home and pursued this enemy to an ancient necropolis in the Sommlending city of Tyso. There, deep within a subterranean crypt, he and his evil alter-ego were drawn through a Shadow Gate to the Plane of Darkness<ch.emdash/>Naar<ch.apos/>s stronghold<ch.emdash/>where a deadly duel ensued. Lone Wolf vanquished the foe and discovered that Naar had in his possession the fabled Moonstone of the Shianti. This wondrous artefact was created many thousands of years ago by the god-like Shianti, whose presence upon Magnamund had heralded the dawn of humanity. This stone of power contains the combined might of all their magic and wisdom, the sum of all their knowledge. So significant was the creation of this stone that all time on Magnamund has since been measured from the date of its creation. It had long been held that the Moonstone<ch.apos/>s location was a secret known only to the remnants of the Shianti, who dwell upon the mysterious Isle of Lorn in Southern Magnamund, yet the evidence of Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s eyes had told him that this mystical artefact had somehow fallen into the hands of Naar.</p>
166
167      <p>Lone Wolf realized that the Dark God had been using its legendary powers to generate Shadow Gates within the world of Magnamund, at locations and times of his own choosing. Such power had enabled him to send his loathsome champions to your home world, while the forces of the Gods of Good, Kai and Ishir, had been held at bay. Only Lone Wolf and the New Order of the Kai had stood in the way of the onslaught of Naar<ch.apos/>s agents since the demise of the Darklords.</p>
168
169      <p>Lone Wolf successfully escaped from the Plane of Darkness and returned to Sommerlund, yet he knew that the fight against Evil had not been won outright. He realized that he would have to return to the Plane of Darkness and retrieve the fabled Moonstone. Only by doing so would Magnamund truly be safe from Naar<ch.apos/>s legions of darkness. Two years ago, with the aid of his most trusted ally, Lord Rimoah of Dessi, Lone Wolf fulfilled his vow by journeying to the Dark God<ch.apos/>s domain and retrieving the Moonstone of the Shianti. Upon his triumphant return, Lone Wolf placed the Moonstone in the Vault of the Sun<ch.emdash/>his personal chamber located deep below the fortified citadel of the Kai Monastery. He had hoped that the fabled artefact could remain there indefinitely, to be guarded by generations of Kai who would keep it secure from Naar<ch.apos/>s minions. Retrieval of the Moonstone had denied the Dark God<ch.apos/>s champions ready access to Magnamund, yet Lone Wolf knew that there were many lesser agents of Naar upon Magnamund waiting quietly in the shadows for the chance to do his evil bidding. Undoubtedly they would stop at nothing to retrieve the Moonstone for their fell master.</p>
170
171      <p>Within a year of his return home it became clear to Lone Wolf that his wish could not be fulfilled. At first the presence of the Moonstone seemed greatly beneficial to Sommerlund. Crops grew abundantly, incidence of disease and illness became increasingly rare, and the newly-born were uniformly healthy. Even the offspring of the impoverished who, in normal times, could expect only one in three of their infants to survive longer than a month after birth, were all in good health and exceptional in their physical and mental development. The Sommlending called this extraordinary period of providence <quote>the Blessing of the Moonstone</quote>, yet this time of good fortune could not last. The power of the Moonstone was a great force for Good, but it was also greatly disruptive of the natural order of Magnamund. Soon death itself became a rarity in Sommerlund, and the four seasons of the year were slowly transformed into one unending spring. Lone Wolf was deeply concerned at the changes wrought by the Moonstone and sought the counsel of his closest friend<ch.emdash/>Guildmaster Banedon, leader of Sommerlund<ch.apos/>s Brotherhood of Magicians. Banedon entreated him to relinquish the Moonstone before the effects of its power became irreversible. To right the balance of nature the Moonstone would have to be taken to the Isle of Lorn, in the southernmost reaches of Magnamund, and delivered back into the hands of the Shianti. Only they, its creators, could prevent its powers from disrupting the natural order of your world.</p>
172
173      <p>Lone Wolf agreed with Banedon<ch.emdash/>the Moonstone would have to be returned to the Shianti. The physical effects of its presence were beginning to attract the unwelcome attentions of those who secretly sought to enact Naar<ch.apos/>s revenge upon the Kai. When one of Naar<ch.apos/>s agents was captured by a Kai patrol within a few miles of the monastery, Lone Wolf felt he could wait no longer. He resolved to act immediately. Preparations were made for a long journey and, especially among the lower ranks of the Kai, rumours were rife that Lone Wolf himself would take responsibility for carrying the Moonstone to the Shianti. Indeed, this speculation seemed to be confirmed as fact when it was discovered that he had secured the use of Guildmaster Banedon<ch.apos/>s famous flying ship<ch.emdash/><cite>Cloud-dancer</cite>.</p>
174
175      <p>It therefore came as a shock when, early one morning, you were summoned unexpectedly to the Vault of the Sun. In strictest confidence, Supreme Master Lone Wolf informed you that he had decided to entrust you with the task of taking the Moonstone to the Shianti. The elaborate preparation he was undertaking was simply a diversion, a bluff designed to draw attention away from the vital mission that he wished to entrust to you<ch.emdash/>the most talented and courageous of his Kai Grand Masters.</p>
176     </data>
177    </section>
178
179    <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
180     <meta>
181      <title>The Game Rules</title>
182      <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
183      <link class="next" idref="kainame" />
184     </meta>
185
186     <data>
187      <p>You keep a record of your adventure on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
188      <p>During the years you have spent in training at the Kai Monastery, you have devoted yourself to further developing your fighting prowess (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>) and physical stamina (<typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>). Before you begin this <cite>New Order</cite> adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick a 0 it counts as zero.</p>
189      <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 25 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 7 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 32). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore desirable.</p>
190      <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 30 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 8 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 38 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
191      <p>If you are wounded in combat you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points cannot rise above the number you have when you start an adventure.</p>
192      <p><strong>Playing Tip:</strong> You may use a 10-sided die instead of the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> if you find it more convenient.</p>
193
194      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="kainame">
195       <meta>
196        <title>Your Kai Name</title>
197        <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
198        <link class="next" idref="discplnz" />
199       </meta>
200
201       <data>
202        <p>It has long been the tradition of your <ch.eacute/>lite warrior caste to bestow a new name upon each young novice when they complete their first year<ch.apos/>s training at the Kai Monastery. Kai names are chosen by senior Kai Masters with the aim of reflecting the individual strengths and qualities of each novice.</p>
203        <p>You may create your own Kai name for yourself, or you can generate a Kai name at random using the name tables below. To generate a Kai name, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult Table A. The name which corresponds to the number you have picked is the first part, or prefix, of your Kai name. Now pick a second number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult Table B. The name which corresponds to the number you have picked is the second part, or suffix, of your Kai name. Put the prefix and the suffix together and you have your own personal Kai name.</p>
204
205         <table>
206          <tr>
207           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">Table A</th>
208           <th colspan="1" scope="colgroup"></th>
209           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">Table B</th>
210          </tr>
211          <tr>
212           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">(Kai name prefix)</th>
213           <th colspan="1" scope="colgroup"></th>
214           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">(Kai name suffix)</th>
215          </tr>
216          <tr>
217           <td>0 = </td>
218           <td>Swift</td>
219           <td></td>
220           <td>0 = </td>
221           <td>Blade</td>
222          </tr>
223          <tr>
224           <td>1 = </td>
225           <td>Sun</td>
226           <td></td>
227           <td>1 = </td>
228           <td>Fire</td>
229          </tr>
230          <tr>
231           <td>2 = </td>
232           <td>True</td>
233           <td></td>
234           <td>2 = </td>
235           <td>Hawk</td>
236          </tr>
237          <tr>
238           <td>3 = </td>
239           <td>Bold</td>
240           <td></td>
241           <td>3 = </td>
242           <td>Heart</td>
243          </tr>
244          <tr>
245           <td>4 = </td>
246           <td>Moon</td>
247           <td></td>
248           <td>4 = </td>
249           <td>Friend</td>
250          </tr>
251          <tr>
252           <td>5 = </td>
253           <td>Sword</td>
254           <td></td>
255           <td>5 = </td>
256           <td>Star</td>
257          </tr>
258          <tr>
259           <td>6 = </td>
260           <td>Wise</td>
261           <td></td>
262           <td>6 = </td>
263           <td>Dancer</td>
264          </tr>
265          <tr>
266           <td>7 = </td>
267           <td>Storm</td>
268           <td></td>
269           <td>7 = </td>
270           <td>Helm</td>
271          </tr>
272          <tr>
273           <td>8 = </td>
274           <td>Rune</td>
275           <td></td>
276           <td>8 = </td>
277           <td>Strider</td>
278          </tr>
279          <tr>
280           <td>9 = </td>
281           <td>Brave</td>
282           <td></td>
283           <td>9 = </td>
284           <td>Shield</td>
285          </tr>
286         </table>
287        </data>
288       </section>
289
290      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="discplnz">
291       <meta>
292        <title>New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines</title>
293        <link class="prev" idref="kainame" />
294        <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
295       </meta>
296
297       <footnotes>
298        <footnote id="discplnz-1-foot" idref="discplnz-1">
299         <p>Given the rules for the previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books, it seems odd that a Grand Master is only allowed to choose to be proficient in one of the few Weapons listed in the <a idref="equipmnt">Equipment section</a>. In view of the unprecedented nature of this rule, you might decide that it is acceptable to be proficient in any of the ten Weapons that the Kai typically train to use.</p>
300
301          <illustration class="inline">
302           <meta>
303            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
304           </meta>
305           <instance class="html" src="weapons.png" width="386" height="310" mime-type="image/png"/>
306           <instance class="html-compatible" src="weapons.gif" width="386" height="310" mime-type="image/gif"/>
307           <instance class="pdf" src="weapons.pdf" width="386" height="310" />
308          </illustration>
309
310        </footnote>
311
312        <footnote id="discplnz-2-foot" idref="discplnz-2">
313         <p>The rules in the Mongoose Publishing editions state that the bonus for Grand Weaponmastery with Bow is 5. Certain sections direct the reader to use different bonuses when using a Bow, ranging from 3 to 5, if you have Grand Weaponmastery with Bow. This may be the author adjusting the Grand Weaponmastery bonus on a case-by-case basis (and therefore this bonus should be used instead of the standard bonus) or an error (and therefore all of these bonuses should be 5). It is up to you to decide, but it seems most reasonable to follow the first alternative, to replace the Grand Weaponmastery bonus with whatever bonus is mentioned in that section.</p>
314        </footnote>
315
316        <footnote id="discplnz-3-foot" idref="discplnz-3">
317         <p>Details about the Kai Weapon appear in the next section of the game rules.</p>
318        </footnote>
319       </footnotes>
320
321       <data>
322        <section class="frontmatter" id="mksumary">
323         <meta>
324          <title>Kai and Magnakai Disciplines</title>
325         </meta>
326
327         <data>
328          <p>During your distinguished rise to the ranks of the New Order of Kai Grand Masters, you have become proficient in all of the basic Kai and Magnakai Disciplines. These Disciplines provide you with a formidable arsenal of natural abilities which will serve you well. A brief summary of your skills is given below:</p>
329
330          <dl class="paragraphed">
331           <dt>Weaponmastery</dt>
332            <dd><p>You are proficient with all close combat and missile weapons. You are a master of unarmed combat and suffer no <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> loss when fighting bare-handed.</p></dd>
333           <dt>Animal Control</dt>
334            <dd><p>You are able to communicate with most animals and have limited control over hostile creatures. You can use woodland animals as guides and you are able to block a non-sentient creature<ch.apos/>s sense of taste and smell.</p></dd>
335           <dt>Curing</dt>
336            <dd>
337             <p>You are able to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost as a direct result of combat. You may restore 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point for every numbered section of the book you pass through in which you are not involved in further combat. The maximum number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points that can be restored in this way is limited to 10 per adventure.</p>
338             <p>You also possess the ability to heal the wounds of others, and you can neutralize the harmful effects of most poisons, venoms, and toxins.</p>
339            </dd>
340           <dt>Invisibility</dt>
341            <dd><p>You can hide effectively in most environments, mask any sounds made during movement, and you can cause minor alterations of your own physical appearance. Also you are able to mask your own body heat and scent.</p></dd>
342           <dt>Huntmastery</dt>
343            <dd><p>You are an expert hunter of food in the wild. You possess great physical agility and a keen sense of vision (day and night). Your senses of hearing and smell are especially acute.</p></dd>
344           <dt>Pathsmanship</dt>
345            <dd><p>You are able to understand most languages, magical symbols, and hieroglyphics. You are expert at reading footprints and tracks. You have an intuitive knowledge of the compass points and can detect the threat of an enemy ambush up to a distance of 500 yards. You possess an ability to cross terrain without leaving tracks. You can converse with sentient creatures and mask yourself from psychic spells of detection.</p></dd>
346           <dt>Psi-surge</dt>
347            <dd><p>You are able to attack enemies using the powers of your mind. Also you can set up disruptive vibrations in inanimate objects and cause confusion in the minds of unsophisticated enemies.</p></dd>
348           <dt>Psi-screen</dt>
349            <dd><p>You possess strong mental defences against hypnosis, supernatural illusions, charms, hostile telepathy, and evil spirits. You are able to divert and re-channel some hostile psychic energy to your own ends.</p></dd>
350           <dt>Nexus</dt>
351            <dd><p>You can move small items by projection of your mind power. You can withstand extremes of temperature and are able to extinguish fire by force of your will alone. You have a limited immunity to flames, toxic gases, and corrosive liquids.</p></dd>
352           <dt>Divination</dt>
353            <dd><p>Your famous Kai Sixth Sense can warn you of imminent danger. You can detect invisible or hidden enemies, and you are able to communicate telepathically. You can recognize magic-using and/or magical creatures, detect psychic residues, and you have a limited ability to leave your corporeal body (<quote>spirit-walk</quote>) for short periods.</p></dd>
354          </dl>
355         </data>
356        </section>
357
358        <section class="frontmatter" id="nodispln">
359         <meta>
360          <title>New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines</title>
361         </meta>
362
363         <data>
364          <p>After years of martial training and study at the Kai Monastery, and by the rigorous practice of the teachings of your illustrious mentor<ch.emdash/>Kai Supreme Master Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>you have achieved the noble rank of Kai Grand Master Senior.</p>
365
366          <p>Following in the footsteps of Lone Wolf himself, you have vowed that one day you will become totally proficient in all 16 of the New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines. By doing so successfully you will share with Lone Wolf the responsibility, the honour, and the future glory of leading the New Order Kai as a Supreme Master.</p>
367
368          <p>Your present rank of Kai Grand Master Senior means that you have mastered <em>four</em> of the New Order Grand Master Disciplines listed below. It is for you to decide which four Disciplines these are. As all of the New Order Grand Master Disciplines may be of use to you at some point during your mission, pick these four skills with care. The correct use of a New Order Grand Master Discipline at the right time could save your life. When you have chosen your four Disciplines, enter them in the Grand Master Disciplines section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
369
370        <section class="frontmatter" id="wpnmstry">
371         <meta><title>Grand Weaponmastery</title></meta>
372         <data>
373
374          <illustration class="inline">
375           <meta>
376            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
377           </meta>
378           <instance class="html" src="wpnmast.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
379           <instance class="html-compatible" src="wpnmast.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
380           <instance class="pdf" src="wpnmast.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
381          </illustration>
382
383          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to become supremely efficient in the use of all weapons. When you enter combat armed with one of your Grand Master weapons, you may add 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. The rank of Kai Grand Master Senior, with which you begin the <cite>New Order</cite> series, means that you are skilled in the use of <em>one</em> of the weapons listed in the <a idref="equipmnt">Equipment section</a>.<footref id="discplnz-1" idref="discplnz-1-foot"/> For every adventure that you complete successfully in the <cite>New Order</cite> series while possessing the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery, you will gain proficiency with one additional weapon.</p>
384          <p>If you have the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, you may add 5 points to any number you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, when using the Bow.<footref id="discplnz-2" idref="discplnz-2-foot"/></p>
385         </data>
386        </section>
387
388        <section class="frontmatter" id="anmlmstr">
389         <meta><title>Animal Mastery</title></meta>
390         <data>
391
392          <illustration class="inline">
393           <meta>
394            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
395           </meta>
396           <instance class="html" src="anmlmast.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
397           <instance class="html-compatible" src="anmlmast.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
398           <instance class="pdf" src="anmlmast.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
399          </illustration>
400
401          <p>New Order Grand Masters have considerable control over hostile, non-sentient creatures. Also, they have the ability to converse with birds and fishes, and use them as guides.</p>
402         </data>
403        </section>
404
405        <section class="frontmatter" id="deliver">
406         <meta><title>Deliverance <em>(Advanced Curing)</em></title></meta>
407         <data>
408
409          <illustration class="inline">
410           <meta>
411            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
412           </meta>
413           <instance class="html" src="delvrance.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
414           <instance class="html-compatible" src="delvrance.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
415           <instance class="pdf" src="delvrance.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
416          </illustration>
417
418          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to use their healing power to repair serious battle-wounds. If, while in combat, their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is reduced to 8 points or less, they can draw upon their mastery to restore 20 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. This emergency ability can only be used once every 20 days.</p>
419         </data>
420        </section>
421
422        <section class="frontmatter" id="assimila">
423         <meta><title>Assimilance <em>(Advanced Invisibility)</em></title></meta>
424         <data>
425
426          <illustration class="inline">
427           <meta>
428            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
429           </meta>
430           <instance class="html" src="assmlnce.png" width="386" height="55" mime-type="image/png"/>
431           <instance class="html-compatible" src="assmlnce.gif" width="386" height="55" mime-type="image/gif"/>
432           <instance class="pdf" src="assmlnce.pdf" width="386" height="55" />
433          </illustration>
434
435          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to effect striking changes to their physical appearance, and maintain these changes over a period of one to three days. They have also mastered advanced camouflage techniques which make them virtually undetectable in an open landscape.</p>
436         </data>
437        </section>
438
439        <section class="frontmatter" id="hntmstry">
440         <meta><title>Grand Huntmastery</title></meta>
441         <data>
442
443          <illustration class="inline">
444           <meta>
445            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
446           </meta>
447           <instance class="html" src="huntmstr.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
448           <instance class="html-compatible" src="huntmstr.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
449           <instance class="pdf" src="huntmstr.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
450          </illustration>
451
452          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to see in total darkness and they possess great natural speed and agility. They also have a superb sense of touch and taste. If you have chosen the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery as one of your skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p>
453         </data>
454        </section>
455
456        <section class="frontmatter" id="pthmnshp">
457         <meta><title>Grand Pathsmanship</title></meta>
458         <data>
459
460          <illustration class="inline">
461           <meta>
462            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
463           </meta>
464           <instance class="html" src="pathsmn.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
465           <instance class="html-compatible" src="pathsmn.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
466           <instance class="pdf" src="pathsmn.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
467          </illustration>
468
469          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to resist entrapment by hostile plants. Also they have a super-awareness of ambush, or the threat of ambush, in woods and dense forests.</p>
470         </data>
471        </section>
472
473        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaisurge">
474         <meta><title>Kai-surge</title></meta>
475         <data>
476
477          <illustration class="inline">
478           <meta>
479            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
480           </meta>
481           <instance class="html" src="ksurge.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
482           <instance class="html-compatible" src="ksurge.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
483           <instance class="pdf" src="ksurge.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
484          </illustration>
485
486          <p>When using their psychic ability to attack an enemy, New Order Grand Masters may add 8 points to their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. For every round in which Kai-surge is used, they need only deduct 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Grand Masters have the option of using a weaker form of psychic attack called Mindblast. When using this lesser attack, they may add 4 points to their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> without loss of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (Kai-surge and Mindblast cannot be used simultaneously). New Order Grand Masters cannot use Kai-surge if their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score falls to 6 points or below.</p>
487         </data>
488        </section>
489
490        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiscrn">
491         <meta><title>Kai-screen</title></meta>
492         <data>
493
494          <illustration class="inline">
495           <meta>
496            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
497           </meta>
498           <instance class="html" src="kscreen.png" width="386" height="56" mime-type="image/png"/>
499           <instance class="html-compatible" src="kscreen.gif" width="386" height="56" mime-type="image/gif"/>
500           <instance class="pdf" src="kscreen.pdf" width="386" height="56" />
501          </illustration>
502
503          <p>During psychic combat, New Order Grand Masters are able to construct mind-fortresses capable of protecting themselves and others. The strength and capacity of these fortresses increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
504         </data>
505        </section>
506
507        <section class="frontmatter" id="nexus">
508         <meta><title>Grand Nexus</title></meta>
509         <data>
510
511          <illustration class="inline">
512           <meta>
513            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
514           </meta>
515           <instance class="html" src="nexus.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
516           <instance class="html-compatible" src="nexus.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
517           <instance class="pdf" src="nexus.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
518          </illustration>
519
520          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to withstand contact with harmful elements, such as flames and acids, for upwards of an hour in duration. This ability increases as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
521         </data>
522        </section>
523
524        <section class="frontmatter" id="gnosis">
525         <meta><title>Telegnosis <em>(Advanced Divination)</em></title></meta>
526         <data>
527
528          <illustration class="inline">
529           <meta>
530            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
531           </meta>
532           <instance class="html" src="telegnss.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
533           <instance class="html-compatible" src="telegnss.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
534           <instance class="pdf" src="telegnss.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
535          </illustration>
536
537          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to spirit-walk for far greater lengths of time, and with far fewer ill effects. Duration of the spirit-walk and the protection afforded to his inanimate body increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
538         </data>
539        </section>
540
541        <section class="frontmatter" id="magi">
542         <meta><title>Magi-magic <em>(Old Kingdom Magic)</em></title></meta>
543         <data>
544
545          <illustration class="inline">
546           <meta>
547            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
548           </meta>
549           <instance class="html" src="magimagc.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
550           <instance class="html-compatible" src="magimagc.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
551           <instance class="pdf" src="magimagc.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
552          </illustration>
553
554          <p>Under the tutelage of Lone Wolf, you have been able to master the rudimentary skills of Old Kingdom battle-magic. These arcane skills include the use of basic Old Kingdom Spells, such as <spell>Shield</spell>, <spell>Power Word</spell>, and <spell>Invisible Fist</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Old Kingdom magic increase.</p>
555         </data>
556        </section>
557
558        <section class="frontmatter" id="alchemy">
559         <meta><title>Kai-alchemy <em>(Brotherhood Magic)</em></title></meta>
560         <data>
561
562          <illustration class="inline">
563           <meta>
564            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
565           </meta>
566           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="386" height="55" mime-type="image/png"/>
567           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="386" height="55" mime-type="image/gif"/>
568           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="386" height="55" />
569          </illustration>
570
571          <p>Under the tutelage of Lone Wolf and Guildmaster Banedon (the leader of Sommerlund<ch.apos/>s Guild of Magicians), you have mastered the elementary spells of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star. These spells include <spell>Lightning Hand</spell>, <spell>Levitation</spell>, and <spell>Mind Charm</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Brotherhood magic increase.</p>
572         </data>
573        </section>
574
575        <section class="frontmatter" id="astrolgy">
576         <meta><title>Astrology</title></meta>
577         <data>
578
579          <illustration class="inline">
580           <meta>
581            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
582           </meta>
583           <instance class="html" src="astrolgy.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
584           <instance class="html-compatible" src="astrolgy.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
585           <instance class="pdf" src="astrolgy.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
586          </illustration>
587
588          <p>The celestial bodies which occupy the skies above Magnamund have long been known to affect the lives of its inhabitants. Mastery of this Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to predict and shape the future by studying the relative positions of the Sun, the Moon, and the myriad planets and stars. The number and accuracy of these predictions increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
589         </data>
590        </section>
591
592        <section class="frontmatter" id="herbmst">
593         <meta><title>Herbmastery</title></meta>
594         <data>
595
596          <illustration class="inline">
597           <meta>
598            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
599           </meta>
600           <instance class="html" src="herblism.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
601           <instance class="html-compatible" src="herblism.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
602           <instance class="pdf" src="herblism.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
603          </illustration>
604
605          <p>Mastery of this New Order Discipline enables a Grand Master to identify readily any substance derived from living or growing organic material. He is aware of any secret uses to which an organic material may be put, and he is skilled in effecting the release of a substance<ch.apos/>s medicinal and/or magical properties.</p>
606         </data>
607        </section>
608
609        <section class="frontmatter" id="element">
610         <meta><title>Elementalism</title></meta>
611         <data>
612
613          <illustration class="inline">
614           <meta>
615            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
616           </meta>
617           <instance class="html" src="elmntlsm.png" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/png"/>
618           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elmntlsm.gif" width="386" height="53" mime-type="image/gif"/>
619           <instance class="pdf" src="elmntlsm.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
620          </illustration>
621
622          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to manipulate the four basic elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. By drawing upon individual elements that are available, or combinations thereof, he is able to detach, affix, increase, concentrate, intensify, remove, or accelerate this matter to fulfil a specific purpose, e.g. create a wall, hurl a rock, spray sand, remove air, intensify fire. The versatility of this Discipline increases as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
623         </data>
624        </section>
625
626        <section class="frontmatter" id="bardsman">
627         <meta><title>Bardsmanship</title></meta>
628         <data>
629
630          <illustration class="inline">
631           <meta>
632            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
633           </meta>
634           <instance class="html" src="bard.png" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/png"/>
635           <instance class="html-compatible" src="bard.gif" width="386" height="54" mime-type="image/gif"/>
636           <instance class="pdf" src="bard.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
637          </illustration>
638
639          <p>Through mastery of this Discipline a Kai Grand Master of the New Order becomes a multi-talented performer, proficient in the use of any musical instrument. He is able to sing or chant, recite or compose tales of legend, mimic speech or dialect, and stimulate a wide range of emotions among sentient creatures. The effect and power of his bardic abilities will steadily increase as he advances through the Grand Master ranks.</p>
640         </data>
641        </section>
642
643        <p>If you successfully complete the mission as set in Book 21 of the <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> series, you may add a further Grand Master Discipline of your choice to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> in Book 22. For every Grand Master Discipline you possess, in excess of the original four Disciplines you begin with, you may add 1 point to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> score and 2 points to your basic <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score. These bonus points, together with your extra Grand Master Discipline, your original four Grand Master Disciplines, your Kai Weapon,<footref id="discplnz-3" idref="discplnz-3-foot"/> and any other Special Items and Backpack Items that you have found and been able to keep during your adventures, may then be carried over and used in the next <cite>New Order</cite> adventure, which is called: <bookref series="lw" book="22tbos"><cite>The Buccaneers of Shadaki</cite></bookref>.</p>
644       </data>
645      </section>
646      </data>
647      </section>
648
649      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
650       <meta>
651        <title>Equipment</title>
652        <link class="prev" idref="discplnz"/>
653        <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz"/>
654       </meta>
655
656       <footnotes>
657        <footnote id="equipmnt-1-foot" idref="equipmnt-1">
658         <p>These bonuses are <em>not</em> cumulative.</p>
659        </footnote>
660
661        <footnote id="equipmnt-2-foot" idref="equipmnt-2">
662         <p><quote>Valiance</quote> is also effective against magical creatures.</p>
663        </footnote>
664
665       </footnotes>
666
667       <data>
668        <p>Before you leave Holmgard on the first stage of your long voyage to Elzian, you acquire a <a idref="map">map of your sea route</a> and a pouch of gold. To find out how much gold is in the pouch, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add 20 to the number you have picked. The total equals the number of Gold Crowns inside the pouch, and you should now enter this number in the <quote>Gold Crowns</quote> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. Fifty is the maximum number of Gold Crowns you can carry in your pouch at any time.</p>
669        <p>You may also select five items from the list below, only two of which may be Weapons.</p>
670        <ul class="paragraphed">
671
672        <li><p>Quarterstaff (Weapons)</p>
673         <illustration class="inline">
674           <meta>
675            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
676           </meta>
677           <instance class="html" src="qurtstff.png" width="386" height="45" mime-type="image/png"/>
678           <instance class="html-compatible" src="qurtstff.gif" width="386" height="45" mime-type="image/gif"/>
679           <instance class="pdf" src="qurtstff.pdf" width="386" height="45"/>
680          </illustration>
681         </li>
682         <li><p>Bow (Weapons)</p>
683          <illustration class="inline">
684           <meta>
685            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
686           </meta>
687           <instance class="html" src="bow.png" width="386" height="64" mime-type="image/png"/>
688           <instance class="html-compatible" src="bow.gif" width="386" height="64" mime-type="image/gif"/>
689           <instance class="pdf" src="bow.pdf" width="386" height="64"/>
690          </illustration>
691         </li>
692         <li><p>Quiver (Special Items) This contains six Arrows; record them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
693          <illustration class="inline">
694           <meta>
695            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
696           </meta>
697           <instance class="html" src="quiver.png" width="386" height="127" mime-type="image/png"/>
698           <instance class="html-compatible" src="quiver.gif" width="386" height="127" mime-type="image/gif"/>
699           <instance class="pdf" src="quiver.pdf" width="386" height="127"/>
700          </illustration>
701         </li>
702         <li><p>Flute (Backpack Item)</p>
703          <illustration class="inline">
704           <meta>
705            <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
706           </meta>
707           <instance class="html" src="flute.png" width="386" height="14" mime-type="image/png"/>
708           <instance class="html-compatible" src="flute.gif" width="386" height="14" mime-type="image/gif"/>
709           <instance class="pdf" src="flute.pdf" width="386" height="14"/>
710          </illustration>
711         </li>
712         <li><p>Dagger (Weapons)</p>
713          <illustration class="inline">
714           <meta>
715            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
716           </meta>
717           <instance class="html" src="dagger.png" width="386" height="150" mime-type="image/png"/>
718           <instance class="html-compatible" src="dagger.gif" width="386" height="150" mime-type="image/gif"/>
719           <instance class="pdf" src="dagger.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
720          </illustration>
721         </li>
722         <li><p>Sword (Weapons)</p>
723          <illustration class="inline">
724           <meta>
725            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
726           </meta>
727           <instance class="html" src="sword.png" width="386" height="69" mime-type="image/png"/>
728           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sword.gif" width="386" height="69" mime-type="image/gif"/>
729           <instance class="pdf" src="sword.pdf" width="386" height="69"/>
730          </illustration>
731         </li>
732         <li><p>2 Meals (Meals) Each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack.</p>
733          <illustration class="inline">
734           <meta>
735            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
736           </meta>
737           <instance class="html" src="food.png" width="386" height="150" mime-type="image/png"/>
738           <instance class="html-compatible" src="food.gif" width="386" height="150" mime-type="image/gif"/>
739           <instance class="pdf" src="food.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
740          </illustration>
741         </li>
742         <li><p>Rope (Backpack Item)</p>
743          <illustration class="inline">
744           <meta>
745            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
746           </meta>
747           <instance class="html" src="rope.png" width="386" height="109" mime-type="image/png"/>
748           <instance class="html-compatible" src="rope.gif" width="386" height="109" mime-type="image/gif"/>
749           <instance class="pdf" src="rope.pdf" width="386" height="109"/>
750          </illustration>
751         </li>
752         <li><p>Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Item) This potion restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for only one dose.</p>
753          <illustration class="inline">
754           <meta>
755            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
756           </meta>
757           <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="167" mime-type="image/png"/>
758           <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="167" mime-type="image/gif"/>
759           <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" width="386" height="167"/>
760          </illustration>
761         </li>
762         <li><p>Axe (Weapons)</p>
763          <illustration class="inline">
764           <meta>
765            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
766           </meta>
767           <instance class="html" src="axe.png" width="386" height="112" mime-type="image/png"/>
768           <instance class="html-compatible" src="axe.gif" width="386" height="112" mime-type="image/gif"/>
769           <instance class="pdf" src="axe.pdf" width="386" height="112"/>
770          </illustration>
771         </li>
772        </ul>
773
774        <p>List the five items that you have chosen on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, under the appropriate headings, and make a note of any effect that they may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and/or <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
775
776        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiweapn">
777         <meta>
778          <title>Kai Weapons</title>
779         </meta>
780
781         <data>
782          <p>Upon reaching the ultimate rank of Kai Supreme Master, Lone Wolf received as a reward from the God Kai many new skills and abilities. One of these skills was Kai Weaponcraft. Using his newfound mastery, Lone Wolf forged ten weapons of magical power in the armoury furnaces of the Kai Monastery. These magical weapons are reserved for the <ch.eacute/>lite of the New Order Kai who attain the rank of Grand Master.</p>
783
784          <p>In recognition of your rank and achievement, you may choose your own Kai Weapon from the table below or, if you prefer, you can generate one at random. To generate a Kai Weapon, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult the first column. The magical Axe, Sword, or Broadsword which corresponds to the number you have picked will be your own personal Kai Weapon. Record this magical weapon and its unique properties in the Kai Weapon section of the <a idref="action">Special Items List</a>.</p>
785
786          <p><strong>Example</strong></p>
787          <p>Say you choose the number 8 from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, your Kai Weapon will be the Broadsword <quote>Illuminatus</quote>.</p>
788
789          <p>When using this Kai Weapon in normal combat you may add +5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Each Kai Weapon has a unique property. When you use your Kai Weapon in combat against the type of enemy that matches its unique property, or use it at the optimum time or location, then you may add the higher bonus to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.<footref id="equipmnt-1" idref="equipmnt-1-foot"/></p>
790
791          <p><strong>Example</strong></p>
792          <p>If you were to use <quote>Illuminatus</quote> in combat against an enemy in an underground cavern, cave, or tunnel, you could add the higher bonus of 7 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you were to fight this enemy in any other location, the bonus to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> would remain at 5.</p>
793
794           <table>
795            <tr>
796             <th colspan="6" scope="colgroup">Kai Weapon Table</th>
797            </tr>
798            <tr>
799             <th>RN</th>
800             <th>Weapon Type</th>
801             <th>Weapon Name</th>
802             <th><typ class="attribute">CS</typ></th>
803             <th>Unique Properties</th>
804             <th><typ class="attribute">CS</typ></th>
805            </tr>
806            <tr>
807             <td>0</td>
808             <td>Axe</td>
809             <td><quote>Spawnsmite</quote></td>
810             <td>+5</td>
811             <td>versus reptilian enemies</td>
812             <td>+6</td>
813            </tr>
814            <tr>
815             <td>1</td>
816             <td>Axe</td>
817             <td><quote>Alema</quote></td>
818             <td>+5</td>
819             <td>versus undead enemies</td>
820             <td>+7</td>
821            </tr>
822            <tr>
823             <td>2</td>
824             <td>Axe</td>
825             <td><quote>Magnara</quote></td>
826             <td>+5</td>
827             <td>versus rock or stone</td>
828             <td>+8</td>
829            </tr>
830            <tr>
831             <td>3</td>
832             <td>Sword</td>
833             <td><quote>Sunstrike</quote></td>
834             <td>+5</td>
835             <td>when used in daylight</td>
836             <td>+6</td>
837            </tr>
838            <tr>
839             <td>4</td>
840             <td>Sword</td>
841             <td><quote>Kaistar</quote></td>
842             <td>+5</td>
843             <td>when used at night</td>
844             <td>+7</td>
845            </tr>
846            <tr>
847             <td>5</td>
848             <td>Sword</td>
849             <td><quote>Valiance</quote></td>
850             <td>+5</td>
851             <td>when used versus magicians<footref id="equipmnt-2" idref="equipmnt-2-foot"/></td>
852             <td>+8</td>
853            </tr>
854            <tr>
855             <td>6</td>
856             <td>Sword</td>
857             <td><quote>Ulnarias</quote></td>
858             <td>+5</td>
859             <td>when used underwater</td>
860             <td>+9</td>
861            </tr>
862            <tr>
863             <td>7</td>
864             <td>Broadsword</td>
865             <td><quote>Raumas</quote></td>
866             <td>+5</td>
867             <td>versus winged enemies</td>
868             <td>+6</td>
869            </tr>
870            <tr>
871             <td>8</td>
872             <td>Broadsword</td>
873             <td><quote>Illuminatus</quote></td>
874             <td>+5</td>
875             <td>when used underground</td>
876             <td>+7</td>
877            </tr>
878            <tr>
879             <td>9</td>
880             <td>Broadsword</td>
881             <td><quote>Firefall</quote></td>
882             <td>+5</td>
883             <td>versus fire-emitting enemies</td>
884             <td>+8</td>
885            </tr>
886            <tr>
887             <td colspan="3">RN = Random Number</td>
888             <td colspan="3"><typ class="attribute">CS</typ> = <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ></td>
889            </tr>
890           </table>
891          </data>
892         </section>
893
894         <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
895         <meta>
896          <title>Equipment<ch.emdash/>How to use it</title>
897         </meta>
898
899         <data>
900          <dl class="paragraphed">
901           <dt>Weapons</dt>
902            <dd><p>The maximum number of Weapons that you can carry is <em>two</em>. Weapons aid you in combat. If you have the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery and a correct Weapon, it adds 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you find a Weapon during your adventure, you may pick it up and use it. You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</p></dd>
903           <dt>Bows and Arrows</dt>
904            <dd>
905             <p>During your adventure there will be opportunities to use a Bow and Arrow. If you equip yourself with this Weapon, and you possess at least one Arrow, you may use it when the text of a particular section allows you to do so. The Bow is a useful Weapon, for it enables you to hit an enemy at a distance. However, a Bow cannot be used in hand-to-hand combat; therefore it is best to equip yourself also with a close combat Weapon, such as a Sword or an Axe.</p>
906             <p>In order to use a Bow you must possess a Quiver and at least one Arrow. Each time the Bow is used, erase an Arrow from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. A Bow cannot, of course, be used if you exhaust your supply of Arrows, but the opportunity may arise during your adventure for you to replenish your stock of Arrows.</p>
907            </dd>
908           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
909            <dd>
910             <p>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may keep a maximum of ten articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time. You may only carry one Backpack at a time. During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may decide to keep. You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</p>
911             <p>Any item that may be of use, and which can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, is given either initial capitals (e.g. Silver Mirror, Gold Key), or is clearly identified as a Backpack Item. Unless you are told that it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.</p>
912            </dd>
913           <dt>Special Items</dt>
914            <dd>
915             <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how or where to carry it. The maximum number of Special Items that can be carried on any adventure is 12.</p>
916            </dd>
917           <dt>Kai Weapon</dt>
918            <dd><p>Your Kai Weapon is a Special Item and it can be carried and used in addition to two normal Weapons. If you possess the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery for a weapon type which is the same as your unique Kai Weapon, you may add the Grand Weaponmastery bonus of +5 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. This is in addition to the bonus gained when you use your Kai Weapon in combat.</p></dd>
919           <dt>Food</dt>
920            <dd><p>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item. You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. However, if you have chosen Grand Huntmastery as one of your four Disciplines, then you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p></dd>
921           <dt>Potion of Laumspur</dt>
922            <dd><p>This is a healing potion that can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for one dose only. If you discover any other potion during the adventure, you will be informed of its effect. All potions are Backpack Items.</p></dd>
923           <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
924            <dd>
925             <p>The currency most readily accepted in eastern Northern Magnamund is the Gold Crown. These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty Crowns.</p>
926            </dd>
927           </dl>
928         </data>
929        </section>
930       </data>
931      </section>
932
933      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
934       <meta>
935        <title>Rules for Combat</title>
936        <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
937        <link class="next" idref="levels" />
938       </meta>
939
940       <data>
941        <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you will have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Your aim in the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible yourself.</p>
942        <p>At the start of a combat, enter your own and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
943        <p>The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
944        <ol class="paragraphed">
945         <li><p>Add any extra points gained through your Grand Master Disciplines and Special Items to your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
946         <li>
947          <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
948          <p>Example</p>
949          <p>You, Grand Master (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 32), are attacked in a forest by a pack of Wild Dogs (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 31). You are taken by surprise and are not given the opportunity of evading their attack. You possess the Grand Master Discipline of Kai-surge to which the Wild Dogs are not immune, so you add 8 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. You also possess the Kai Weapon <quote>Ulnarias</quote>, so you add an additional 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. This gives you a total <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 45.</p>
950          <p>You now subtract the Wild Dogs<ch.apos/> <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from your own, giving a Combat Ratio of +14 (45<ch.minus/>31=+14). +14 is noted on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
951         </li>
952         <li><p><a id="stage3">When you have your Combat Ratio</a>, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
953         <li>
954          <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked (the random numbers appear on the side of the chart). You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both yourself and your enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; GM represents points lost by yourself<ch.emdash/>Grand Master.)</p>
955          <p>Example</p>
956          <p>The Combat Ratio between you and the Wild Dogs has been established as +14. If the number picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is 1, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
957          <ul>
958           <li>You (GM) lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (plus an additional 1 point for using Kai-surge. This loss is in addition to the loss suffered as a result of combat).</li>
959           <li>Wild Dogs lose 9 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
960          </ul>
961         </li>
962         <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat.</p></li>
963         <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
964         <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
965        </ol>
966
967        <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either your enemy or yourself are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If you are declared dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, you can proceed but with your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
968        <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
969
970        <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
971         <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
972
973         <data>
974          <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only <strong>you</strong> may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round (such is the risk of turning tail and running away during combat!). You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
975         </data>
976        </section>
977       </data>
978      </section>
979
980      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="levels">
981       <meta>
982        <title>Levels of New Order Kai Grand Mastership</title>
983        <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
984        <link class="next" idref="imprvdsc" />
985       </meta>
986
987       <footnotes>
988        <footnote id="levels-1-foot" idref="levels-1">
989         <p>It is unclear why a New Order Grand Master becomes a Supreme Master by mastering only 15 of the 16 Grand Master Disciplines. It is also unclear why New Order Grand Masters must master four extra Disciplines in order to receive the same improvements to their Disciplines as Lone Wolf did with fewer.</p>
990        </footnote>
991       </footnotes>
992
993       <data>
994
995        <p>The following table is a guide to the ranks and titles you can achieve at each stage of your journey along the road of Kai Grand Mastership. As you successfully complete each adventure in the <cite>New Order</cite> series, you will gain an additional Grand Master Discipline and progress towards the pinnacle of Kai perfection<ch.emdash/>to become a Kai Supreme Master.</p>
996
997        <ol start="4">
998         <li>Kai Grand Master Senior<ch.emdash/><em>(You begin the <cite>New Order</cite> adventures at this level of Kai Grand Mastery)</em><footref id="levels-1" idref="levels-1-foot"/></li>
999         <li>Kai Grand Master Superior</li>
1000         <li>Kai Grand Sentinel</li>
1001         <li>Kai Grand Defender</li>
1002         <li>Kai Grand Guardian</li>
1003         <li>Sun Knight</li>
1004         <li>Sun Lord</li>
1005         <li>Sun Thane</li>
1006         <li>Grand Thane</li>
1007         <li>Grand Crown</li>
1008         <li>Sun Prince</li>
1009         <li>Kai Supreme Master</li>
1010        </ol>
1011       </data>
1012      </section>
1013
1014
1015      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="imprvdsc">
1016       <meta>
1017        <title>Improved Grand Master Disciplines</title>
1018        <link class="prev" idref="levels" />
1019        <link class="next" idref="kaiwisdm" />
1020       </meta>
1021
1022       <data>
1023          <p>As you rise through the higher levels of Grand Mastery you will find that your Disciplines will steadily improve. The nature of these additional improvements and how they affect your existing Disciplines will be noted in the Improved Disciplines section of future <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> series books.</p>
1024      </data>
1025    </section>
1026   </data>
1027   </section>
1028
1029   <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiwisdm">
1030     <meta>
1031      <title>New Order Wisdom</title>
1032      <link class="prev" idref="imprvdsc" />
1033      <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
1034     </meta>
1035
1036     <data>
1037      <p>You are about to embark upon the first stage of an essential mission to return the fabled Moonstone of the Shianti to its creators.</p>
1038
1039      <p>Some of the material items that you will encounter during your quest will be of use to you, while others may be red herrings of no real value at all. If you discover items, be selective in what you choose to keep.</p>
1040
1041      <p>Pick your four Disciplines with care for a wise choice will enable any player to complete the quest, no matter how weak their initial <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> scores may be. Successful completion of previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures (Books 1<ch.endash/>20) is not essential for the completion of this <cite>New Order</cite> adventure.</p>
1042
1043      <p>May the light of the Gods Kai and Ishir guide you during your vital quest.</p>
1044
1045      <p>For Sommerlund and the Kai!</p>
1046     </data>
1047    </section>
1048
1049    <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
1050     <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
1051
1052     <data>
1053
1054
1055     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
1056      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
1057
1058      <data>
1059        <p><quote>Understand that your mission must be conducted with the utmost secrecy to ensure its success,</quote> says Lone Wolf, fixing you with his steely gaze. You nod your head in acknowledgement and watch with growing anticipation as the Supreme Master of the Kai rises from his throne and moves silently across the polished stone floor of his magnificent vault. From a concealed safe in the granite wall he removes a seemingly plain leather satchel which he unbuckles and holds open, inviting your inspection. Nestled within lies the legendary Moonstone, surrounded by a shimmering halo of golden light.</p>
1060        <p><quote>The inner lining of this bag is woven from strands of fine-spun korlinium,</quote> says Lone Wolf, as he carefully buckles the satchel<ch.apos/>s leather flap.</p>
1061        <p><quote>The mineral will hide the Moonstone<ch.apos/>s powerful energies, especially from those who have no need to rely solely upon their eyesight to detect its power.</quote></p>
1062        <p>He offers you the satchel and you accept it with trembling hands. Yet the moment you touch the bag you feel all your anxieties suddenly vanish and the natural air of calm confidence, for which you are noted among your brother Kai, swiftly returns. (Record the Moonstone on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item. You carry it slung over your shoulder in its leather satchel.) Lone Wolf informs you that you are to journey 2,000 miles to Elzian<ch.emdash/>the principal city of the jungle realm of Dessi. There you are to seek out Lord Rimoah at the Tower of Truth. He will assist your onward passage to the Isle of Lorn. In the interests of secrecy, Rimoah is the only other person who knows about your mission. Lone Wolf has arranged for you to travel aboard a Sommlending trading ship, sailing out of Holmgard for Bisutan by way of Barrakeesh. You will be met in Barrakeesh by Lord-lieutenant Fernant, the Sommlending envoy to Vassagonia, who will join you on the voyage to Bisutan where his rank and reputation will help speed the final leg of your journey to Elzian. To allay suspicion you will travel in the guise of a Kai journeyman. At the same time, as you embark upon your long voyage south, so Lone Wolf will leave the monastery aboard the skyship <cite>Cloud-dancer</cite> and journey to distant Lencia, in the far west of Magnamund. He shall carry with him a replica of the Moonstone to draw away the attention of any who would seek to thwart your true quest.</p>
1063        <p>Upon concluding your briefing, Lone Wolf orders you to go to your quarters and rest. You are to return to the vault at midnight in full readiness to begin the mission.</p>
1064        <choice idref="sect235"><link-text>Turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
1065      </data>
1066     </section>
1067
1068     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
1069      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
1070
1071      <data>
1072        <p>You usher the marines into your room and lock the door to prevent the tavern-keeper from entering. Then, one by one, you leave by the window and climb up onto the roof. Hidden by the darkness and by a low parapet wall which encircles the tavern<ch.apos/>s upper floor, you stay here and observe as more than a hundred City Guardsmen round up all the foreign merchants and crewmen who are lodging at the quayside taverns. These innocent men are then made to form a long column before they are marched away towards the Funtal<ch.apos/>s castle. When dawn breaks over the harbour, this normally busy trading centre is unusually quiet. The only people you can see going about their business are native Bir Rabalonians.</p>
1073        <p>When you can no longer see any City Guardsmen in the harbour, you re-enter the tavern and hurry down to the taproom. Here you find Kol, the Casiornian merchant, enjoying a large plateful of meat and cheese. With a wide grin he tells you that he has spent a very comfortable night hiding in the kitchen cellar.</p>
1074        <choice idref="sect255"><link-text>Turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
1075      </data>
1076     </section>
1077
1078     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
1079      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
1080
1081      <data>
1082        <p>You utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Lightning Hand</spell> and extend your right fist towards the onrushing creature. A tingle runs down your arm and a burst of blue-white light illuminates the surrounding jungle when a bolt of energy leaps from your hand and arcs towards the creature<ch.apos/>s chest. The bolt strikes, and the Deathstalker<ch.apos/>s mate shrieks as it burns deep into her shoulder. She falters but she does not abandon her attack, and quickly you raise your weapon in readiness to receive it.</p>
1083        <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1084      </data>
1085     </section>
1086
1087     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
1088      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
1089
1090      <data>
1091        <p>With the help of your Kai skills and the failing light, you slip away from the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> and return to the Tradewind Tavern. Here you are fortunate to discover the three marines who, despite their best efforts this day, have been unable to sell your horse and raise enough money to leave. They are surprised to see you come walking through the door, but very glad that you have returned. Oswin tells you that a curfew has been declared and that all foreigners have been forbidden to use the streets after dark. The tavern-keeper, who openly hates the Funtal, offers to hide you in the stables tonight in case the City Guard should pay another visit. Gratefully you accept his offer and spend the night hiding in his hay-loft.</p>
1092        <choice idref="sect275"><link-text>Turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
1093      </data>
1094     </section>
1095
1096     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
1097      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
1098
1099      <data>
1100        <p>With a rousing cheer, the second wave of enemy raiders follow their leader and leap aboard <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>. The ship<ch.apos/>s crew and the marines have suffered many casualties and they are now too weak and exhausted to be able to repel this renewed assault. You know that you must act swiftly if you are to avert a disaster.</p>
1101        <p>Steeling yourself for what must be done, you shoulder your Bow and unsheathe a weapon. Then you leap from the rigging as the enemy leader passes below the mainmast. You hit the armoured warrior feet-first and slam him to the deck, but he quickly recovers from your surprise attack and, in the ensuing struggle, he manages to kick the weapon from your hand.</p>
1102        <p><quote>Leave him to me!</quote> he screams, warning off his henchmen who are poised to rush forward and cut you down. Slowly he unsheathes his scimitar and, with a sneer fixed to his cruel lips, he raises the blade in readiness to strike a mighty blow to your head.</p>
1103
1104        <illustration class="float">
1105         <meta>
1106          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
1107          <description>Slowly he unsheathes his scimitar and, with a sneer fixed to his cruel lips, he raises the blade.</description>
1108         </meta>
1109         <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="642" mime-type="image/png"/>
1110         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="642" mime-type="image/gif"/>
1111         <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="642" />
1112        </illustration>
1113
1114        <combat><enemy>Dar-Isun</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">39</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">38</enemy-attribute></combat>
1115        <p>You must fight the first round of this combat empty-handed. If you possess a close-combat weapon, you may use it from the beginning of the second round.</p>
1116        <choice idref="sect340">If you win this fight, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1117      </data>
1118     </section>
1119
1120     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
1121      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
1122
1123      <data>
1124        <p>The village consists of a circle of conical huts thatched with toa leaves. As you ride towards them, a giggling swarm of young children comes rushing from the open doorways and quickly surrounds your horse. They hold open their grubby palms and beg you for money.</p>
1125        <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to give these children some Gold Crowns, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
1126        <choice idref="sect12">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 12</link-text>.</choice>
1127      </data>
1128     </section>
1129
1130     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
1131      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
1132
1133      <data>
1134        <p>You tour the market and one stall in particular holds your attention. It is run by a small and timid-looking man and he offers you herbs and potions which he has gathered from all over Magnamund. As you examine the hundreds of phials, philtres, and flasks that are laid out upon his stall, you notice there are many types of herbs that you have encountered before, and some you have not. Of all his selection, the following four interest you the most:</p>
1135        <ul>
1136         <li>Potion of Laumspur: restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when swallowed after combat.</li>
1137         <li>Potion of Alether: increases <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 2 when swallowed before combat (one use only).</li>
1138         <li>Potion of Mustow: creates a foul choking gas when released into the air.</li>
1139         <li>Potion of Sebaris: purifies contaminated water (one use only).</li>
1140        </ul>
1141        <p>Each of these potions costs 3 Gold Crowns.</p>
1142        <choice idref="sect221">If you wish to make a purchase, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
1143        <choice idref="sect79">If you do not wish to buy anything from this stall, <link-text>turn to 79</link-text>.</choice>
1144      </data>
1145     </section>
1146
1147     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
1148      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
1149
1150      <data>
1151        <p>Despite the frugality of the innkeeper and the drabness of your room, you manage to sleep well and rise at dawn feeling alert and refreshed (you may restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). You meet with the marines and, foregoing breakfast, you walk to the adjoining stables to collect your horses. The innkeeper<ch.apos/>s daughter has already fed and watered them and they are ready to be collected. However, before she will let them go she demands you pay her a stabling fee of 1 Gold Crown each.</p>
1152        <choice idref="sect346">If you have some money and you wish to pay her 1 Gold Crown, <link-text>turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
1153        <choice idref="sect208">If you have no money, or if you do not wish to pay, <link-text>turn to 208</link-text>.</choice>
1154      </data>
1155     </section>
1156
1157     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
1158      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
1159
1160      <data>
1161        <p>You slide across the decking and slam into the gunwale with a jolt that leaves you bruised but otherwise unharmed: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Quickly you regain your balance and leap back onto your feet.</p>
1162        <choice idref="sect139"><link-text>Turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1163      </data>
1164     </section>
1165
1166     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
1167      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
1168
1169      <data>
1170        <p>You grab your Bow and take hasty aim at the snarling creature. You fire as she lopes towards you and she shrieks as the sharp tip of your shaft grazes her forehead. For a few moments she falters, but she does not abandon her attack. Quickly you drop your Bow and raise your weapon in readiness to defend yourself as she presses home her assault.</p>
1171        <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1172      </data>
1173     </section>
1174
1175     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
1176      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
1177
1178      <data>
1179        <p>When the dust settles you see that the Koneshi Pass is now blocked and completely impassable. You shout to the marines on the other side to let them know that you are safe, and you hear them calling back, but even with your acute Kai sense of hearing you are unable to make out clearly what they are shouting.</p>
1180        <p>However, by drawing upon your Magnakai skill of Divination you are able to make telepathic contact with Sligh. By way of mental commands and suggestions you tell him to lead his comrades back to Bir Rabalou where they are to sell their horses to raise the money they will need to buy passage home aboard a trading ship. Sligh is unable to answer you telepathically, but you sense that he will comply with your suggestions. Wary of the risk of further landslides, you turn your horse around and ride off along the open mountain trail towards the south.</p>
1181        <choice idref="sect110"><link-text>Turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
1182      </data>
1183     </section>
1184
1185     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
1186      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
1187
1188      <data>
1189        <p>When you refuse to give them any money they begin shouting at you and throwing stones. One jagged stone hits your forehead and draws blood, and another bruises your jaw: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1190        <p>The screaming of the children attracts the attention of their indolent parents who emerge from their huts brandishing clubs and knives. They rush at you and you are forced to turn your horse about and gallop away. Upon reaching the road, you use your Kai curing skills to ease the stinging pain of your head wound before continuing your ride east towards Hikas.</p>
1191        <choice idref="sect89"><link-text>Turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
1192      </data>
1193     </section>
1194
1195     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
1196      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
1197
1198      <data>
1199        <p>You evade your enemies by scaling the mainmast as swiftly as you can. As you climb higher, you notice chunks of wood are raining down from above. You glance up and see that the giant spider is now perched in the crow<ch.apos/>s nest, where it is busily tearing at the mast and topsail with its fanged maw. Fearful of what may happen if it should be allowed to direct its power upon your countrymen below, you decide that you must confront and slay this creature.</p>
1200        <p>You approach the giant spider from below and, at first, it fails to notice your presence. But when you pause for a few moments to unsheathe your weapon, it dips its head and you find yourself staring into a pair of ghastly green eyes. It rubs its forelegs together and sparks appear, warning you that it is preparing to launch a bolt of energy. Quickly you cut free a trailing rope and swing away from the mainmast just in time to avoid being burnt to a cinder when it launches its burst of crackling blue fire. Your swift action saves you, but as the momentum of your swing carries you back towards the mast, so you see that the creature is preparing a new form of attack.</p>
1201        <p>It waits until you come to rest in the rigging, and then it ejects a stream of grey fluid from a sac located below its gaping maw. This fluid hardens as it passes through the air, transforming into several long and sticky strands which threaten to engulf and imprison you in a soft, gluey web.</p>
1202        <choice idref="sect303">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
1203        <choice idref="sect210">If you possess Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
1204        <choice idref="sect162">If you possess neither of these Disciplines, or if you choose not to use either of them, <link-text>turn instead to 162</link-text>.</choice>
1205      </data>
1206     </section>
1207
1208     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
1209      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
1210
1211      <data>
1212        <p>You rush back to the junction and continue along the right alley until you reach a tree-lined plaza which is bordered by expensive art emporia. The militia are examining their doors and windows for signs of a forced entry but all of them look secure. Then your eye is drawn to a grand temple on the far side of the plaza. Its great stone door is closed, but a smaller wooden door at the side has been torn off its hinges. You magnify your vision and see that beyond the door is a flight of stone steps which ascend to a bell-tower.</p>
1213        <p>Cautiously you approach the shattered door. You unsheathe your weapon and scan the darkened stairs before silently you move up the steps. You have climbed twenty steps when suddenly you hear a hideous snickering growl and an icy chill runs the length of your spine. There is an ominous creak of stone on stone and a movement in the darkness above, and then a crashing fills your ears. Out of the darkness you see a great marble statue come smashing down the narrow stairway. It rapidly gathers speed as it tumbles end-over-end towards you.</p>
1214        <choice idref="sect85">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
1215        <choice idref="sect98">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 98</link-text>.</choice>
1216      </data>
1217     </section>
1218
1219     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
1220      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
1221
1222      <data>
1223        <p>You dive to avoid the meteor and the speed of your reactions enables you to escape from being hit directly, yet you do not get away completely unscathed. The fireball glances your left leg and foot before it strikes the deck and bounces back into the sky: lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1224        <choice idref="sect132">To continue, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
1225      </data>
1226     </section>
1227
1228     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
1229      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
1230
1231      <data>
1232        <p>The marines fire three volleys at the cliff-top but their shots neither frighten nor deter the creature. In fact they serve to antagonize this hidden entity and immediately it increases the intensity of its evil spell.</p>
1233        <p>Panic grips the crew and many abandon their posts and leap overboard. In desperation, you seize the helm and draw upon your Kai Mastery in an attempt to avert a total catastrophe, but it is too late. Despite your best efforts, the ship is caught in the grip of the whirlpool. With chilling speed it is sucked down to its final resting place upon the rocky bed of the Bukimi Channel, a thousand fathoms below the swirling surface.</p>
1234        <deadend>Sadly, your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1235      </data>
1236     </section>
1237
1238     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
1239      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
1240
1241      <footnotes>
1242       <footnote id="sect17-1-foot" idref="sect17-1">
1243        <p>It is possible that you have fewer than 3 Gold Crowns. If so, you give all of your remaining Crowns to the tavern-keeper<ch.apos/>s wife.</p>
1244       </footnote>
1245      </footnotes>
1246
1247      <data>
1248        <p>At the end of the street you discover a tavern which adjoins the town<ch.apos/>s east gatehouse. It has a stables and a small blacksmithy, and the first floor has been given over to a rooming hostel. It is a popular place and you see several people entering and leaving by its main door.</p>
1249        <p>Beyond this door you discover a warm taproom with great padded chairs and tables of yellow Siyenese elm. You approach the tavern-keeper<ch.apos/>s wife who is serving ale to customers in tankards made of hardened leather. You enquire if she has a room for the night and she nods and smiles. <quote>Three Gold Crowns,</quote> she says, <quote>and for that you can have as much ale as you can stomach!</quote></p>
1250        <p>You pay her 3 Gold Crowns (erase these from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>)<footref id="sect17-1" idref="sect17-1-foot"/> but you decline a tankard of her ale. It has a peculiar smell that makes you think of greasy animal hides.</p>
1251        <choice idref="sect38"><link-text>Turn to 38</link-text>.</choice>
1252      </data>
1253     </section>
1254
1255     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
1256      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
1257
1258      <data>
1259        <p>Suddenly a starburst of pain erupts in your head and the salty taste of blood fills your mouth. The archer<ch.apos/>s arrow has penetrated the front of your skull and death is instantaneous.</p>
1260        <deadend>Tragically, your life and your quest end here in Kilij.</deadend>
1261      </data>
1262     </section>
1263
1264     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
1265      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
1266
1267      <data>
1268        <p>The landlady<ch.apos/>s frowning face softens as she slips the money into the pocket of her apron. From this same pocket she removes a key which is stamped with the number 4, and she hands it to you. Then she points to a corridor on the ground floor which leads to your room at the rear of the building.</p>
1269        <p>As you are about to insert the key into the lock, you hear a suspicious noise coming from inside. Silently you unsheathe your weapon, unlock the door, and then fling it wide open.</p>
1270        <choice idref="sect66"><link-text>Turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
1271      </data>
1272     </section>
1273
1274     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
1275      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
1276
1277      <data>
1278        <p>As you leave the tavern and march with the lieutenant at the head of his column of guardsmen, you ask him if you are being arrested. After all, you have not broken the curfew. He smiles and confides in you that he was hoping you would agree to help him to track down the creature.</p>
1279        <p><quote>The skills and special powers of the Kai are legendary,</quote> he says. <quote>You may succeed where we have failed. Will you help us find this beast before it kills again?</quote></p>
1280        <p>Before you can give your answer, a terrible shriek echoes through the empty streets. A woman standing on the balcony of a tall building nearby leans over the parapet and calls out to the lieutenant and his men. <quote>Down by the river,</quote> she shouts, and she points over the rooftops to where the shriek was heard. <quote>The fiend<ch.ellips/>it<ch.apos/>s struck!</quote></p>
1281        <p><quote>Quick, men!</quote> yells the lieutenant. <quote>Follow me! If we are swift we may catch the beast tonight.</quote></p>
1282        <choice idref="sect337"><link-text>Turn to 337</link-text>.</choice>
1283      </data>
1284     </section>
1285
1286     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
1287      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
1288
1289      <data>
1290        <p>You give voice to your battle-cry<ch.emdash/><quote>For Sommerlund and the Kai!</quote><ch.emdash/>as you leap fearlessly from the rear deck into the midst of the enemy horde. You slay three of the armoured warriors with the first sweep of your weapon, and cleave the sword arm from the body of another with your backstroke. Noise, death, and confusion press in on all sides, yet you remain ice cool in the heat of this fierce deck battle. A turbaned warrior with mad, glinting eyes hurls himself at you. He whirls his axe above his head to split your skull, but before he can land his blow, you leap into the air and send him cartwheeling backwards with a mighty kick to his chest. The moment your feet return to the blood-slick deck, you spring forward once more like a charging lion and whirl your weapon like a scythe before you. Its blade becomes a deadly blur as you cut a devastating path through the raiders<ch.apos/> serried ranks. You have fought your way to within a dozen paces of Sergeant Dryan when suddenly the enemy launch a desperate counterattack in an effort to halt your inexorable advance.</p>
1291        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Raiders</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">36</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
1292        <choice idref="sect13">You may evade this combat after three rounds by <link-text>turning to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1293        <choice idref="sect97">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
1294      </data>
1295     </section>
1296
1297     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
1298      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
1299
1300      <data>
1301        <p>You use your Discipline to will the spider to return to its nest. The arachnid obeys your mental command and scurries away to disappear through a crack in the uneven bamboo floor. Your close encounter with this potentially deadly spider plays on your mind and you find it impossible to go back to sleep (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points due to fatigue).</p>
1302        <p>At first light you gather together your equipment and go down to the paddock to collect your horse. The hostel-keeper waves farewell from the kitchen window as you mount your horse and ride away across the courtyard.</p>
1303        <choice idref="sect314"><link-text>Turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1304      </data>
1305     </section>
1306
1307     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
1308      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
1309
1310      <footnotes>
1311       <footnote id="sect23-1-foot" idref="sect23-1">
1312        <p>This is the correct answer to the troupe leader<ch.apos/>s puzzle in <a idref="sect40">Section 40</a>.</p>
1313       </footnote>
1314      </footnotes>
1315
1316      <data>
1317        <p>The leader of the troupe says nothing, yet the crestfallen look on his face is enough to tell you that you have answered his riddle correctly.<footref id="sect23-1" idref="sect23-1-foot"/> Your fellow passengers cheer and applaud your display of mental dexterity as you walk to the barrel to collect your prize of 10 Gold Crowns. (If you already possess the maximum number of Gold Crowns permissible, you share the coins out generously among those passengers who are travelling in your carriage.)</p>
1318        <p>The show continues, but you are feeling tired and so you return to the empty passenger wagon. Before you pull your cloak around yourself and settle down to sleep, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery).</p>
1319        <choice idref="sect290">To continue, <link-text>turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1320      </data>
1321     </section>
1322
1323     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
1324      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
1325
1326      <data>
1327        <p>As you ride across the firm sandy beach towards the excited crowd you see that they are gathered around the carcass of a whale. These poor villagers are celebrating their unexpected good fortune for this whale will provide them with food for a month, and enough oil to fuel their lamps until winter. A cheerful-looking old man hails you with his walking stick and you slow your horse to a halt.</p>
1328        <p><quote>You be bound for Bir Rabalou, good sirs?</quote> he asks. <quote><ch.thinspace/><ch.apos/>Cause if you is, then you<ch.apos/>d do well to heed my advice.</quote></p>
1329        <p><quote>And what advice would that be?</quote> replies Ernan. The old man gives him a thin smile and then hobbles nearer to your horse. He does not say anything; he simply holds out his hand in the hope that you will pay him something for his advice.</p>
1330        <choice idref="sect219">If you wish to give this old man 1 Gold Crown, <link-text>turn to 219</link-text>.</choice>
1331        <choice idref="sect313">If you choose not to give him anything, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
1332      </data>
1333     </section>
1334
1335     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
1336      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
1337
1338      <data>
1339        <p>Your basic Kai senses reveal to you that there is nothing evil nor hostile outside in the corridor, yet the fact that someone is knocking on your door at this late hour makes you feel a little anxious. You reach for your weapon belt and buckle it on before you move cautiously to open the door.</p>
1340        <choice idref="sect116"><link-text>Turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1341      </data>
1342     </section>
1343
1344     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
1345      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
1346
1347      <data>
1348        <p>Your Kai healing skills slowly neutralize the snake<ch.apos/>s deadly venom, yet as they do battle with the toxins in your blood, so your body is racked by agonizing convulsions: lose 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1349        <p>Fearing the worst, Oriah and the others gather around your trembling body and do what they can to make your last few moments of life as comfortable as possible. When suddenly you begin to recover they can hardly believe their eyes, for it is well known that the bite of a Jubai will kill its victim within one minute. Your companions are open-mouthed with shock when you stop trembling and sit up as if you are waking from nothing more than a troubled dream.</p>
1350        <choice idref="sect90"><link-text>Turn to 90</link-text>.</choice>
1351      </data>
1352     </section>
1353
1354     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
1355      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
1356
1357      <data>
1358        <p>You are shocked to see the attacking ship has a large cannon mounted on its prow. Moments after the pirates fire their gun, you hear the whistle of a heavy cannonball as it hurtles towards the deck of <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>. It rips through the gunwale a few feet from where you are standing and, as you dive to avoid it, you are hit in the legs by splinters of wood (lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point).</p>
1359        <p>Fortunately, the rest of the crew escape injury and damage to the ship is minimal. Sergeant Dryan commands his men to return fire and a volley of shots from the three swivel guns slams into the bow of the pirate ship with devastating effect. Two shots penetrate below the waterline and the third severs the bowsprit. As it falls into the ocean, it rips away sail and rigging which drag more than a dozen pirates overboard. In disarray, the enemy vessel veers from its collision course and founders in the wake of <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> as it enters the Bukimi Channel. Here your ship picks up a prevailing wind which propels it away from the second pirate raider. Soon both ships have disappeared and, when Raker is sure that the danger has passed, he warmly praises both the marines and his crew for the skill and courage they have displayed.</p>
1360        <p>Later, as the ship navigates the narrow strait dividing the two Lakuri islands, you pass within a few hundred yards of the fire-blackened ruins of a beach settlement which nestles in a bay, overshadowed on three sides by cliffs. This is Kita Cove, formerly a secret base from where Captain Khadro launched his pirate fleet. As you stare at the charred remnants of the pirate settlement, you try to imagine what it must have looked like before the encampment was consumed by a tremendous fireball that sealed its doom. Suddenly, your daydreaming is interrupted when you see something moving among the ruins.</p>
1361        <choice idref="sect158">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 158</link-text>.</choice>
1362        <choice idref="sect247">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
1363      </data>
1364     </section>
1365
1366     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
1367      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
1368
1369      <data>
1370        <p>Upon hearing the news that you have slain the Deathstalker, the mayor of Hikas summons you to his Grand Hall in the city<ch.apos/>s north quarter. Proudly the Vakeros lieutenant and his militia escort you across the city and during your march you receive the adulation of the grateful populace. The mayor hails you as the saviour of Hikas and he bestows upon you the freedom of the city. He decrees that the plaza, where the remains of the Deathstalker were destroyed, shall from this day forward be named after you in perpetual honour of your brave and gallant deed.</p>
1371        <p>You are invited to stay at the Grand Hall and feast with the mayor and the other dignitaries of the city. You accept the invitation and enjoy a sumptuous meal (restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). Early the next morning, the Mayor presents you with a fine white stallion to help speed your journey to Elzian. You thank him for his generosity and, shortly before noon, you ride out through the gates of the Grand Hall, go south along the Avenue of the Sun, and cross the Bridge of Lanterns which spans the city<ch.apos/>s river. Citizens cheer as you pass through the southern quarter and they alert the guards at the busy south gatehouse so that by the time you arrive there you are able to ride through without delay.</p>
1372        <p>A mile beyond the south gate, the road ascends to a ridge where you stop to look back at Hikas for the last time. It is a warm and windy morning and, as you cast your gaze across the rooftops and towers of the ancient city, the sultry breeze howls like a wild animal. For a few moments you feel a chill in your blood, for the sound reminds you of the Deathstalker<ch.apos/>s ghastly cry. But then you shake your head and dismiss it. The creature is dead and there are still many miles left for you to travel before your quest is done. You salute the city farewell and set off at a brisk pace along the weatherbeaten road that leads to Gologo.</p>
1373        <choice idref="sect188"><link-text>Turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1374      </data>
1375     </section>
1376
1377     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
1378      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
1379
1380      <data>
1381        <p>Despite his best efforts, you manage to stay on your horse and steer him towards the crest of the rockfall. The first boulders are beginning to smash down around you as he carries you valiantly to the top of the mound and gallops over the far side. You are half-blinded by dust, and you fail to see a boulder which hits you in the middle of the back and flattens you against the neck of your horse: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1382        <p>When you are out of harm<ch.apos/>s way, you rein in your horse and turn him about so that you can take stock of the damage caused by the second rockfall.</p>
1383        <choice idref="sect11"><link-text>Turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
1384      </data>
1385     </section>
1386
1387     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
1388      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
1389
1390      <footnotes>
1391       <footnote id="sect30-1-foot" idref="sect30-1">
1392        <p>It appears that the thief gets away with your item, though that is not entirely clear from this passage.</p>
1393       </footnote>
1394      </footnotes>
1395
1396      <data>
1397        <p>You whisper the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Silence</spell> and instantly the thief<ch.apos/>s wailing cries cease to echo through the market. The shocked young man clutches at his throat and mouths vile curses at you but no sound emerges from his mouth.</p>
1398        <p><quote>Behold!</quote> you cry, in a loud and imperious tone. <quote>The gods have struck this thief dumb for uttering such falsehood <ch.apos/>gainst me!</quote></p>
1399        <p>Immediately the encircling crowd burst into laughter; they think that the two of you are street actors. One old woman is so amused that she congratulates the dumbstruck thief and then presses 1 Gold Crown into your hand in appreciation of your performance (you may keep this if you wish). The thief seizes this opportunity to escape and turns tail and flees across the square with the laughter of the crowd still echoing in his ears.<footref id="sect30-1" idref="sect30-1-foot"/></p>
1400        <choice idref="sect96"><link-text>Turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
1401      </data>
1402     </section>
1403
1404     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1405      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1406
1407      <data>
1408        <p>A large wooden platform has been erected at the centre of the marketplace upon which twenty men and women are standing side by side with their heads bowed. These poor wretches wear heavy iron manacles which encase their wrists and ankles. Standing behind them are eight hard-faced guards, each with a loop of knotted rope that dangles menacingly from their wrists. The scorching desert sun beats down without mercy upon those in the line, yet if any of them should dare to move but an inch they immediately feel the stinging lash of a rope across their backs.</p>
1409        <p>Over the years you have heard many tales about the slave auctions of Vassagonia, but you had never anticipated that one day you would witness one. This cruel auction fills you with feelings of anger and revulsion as, one by one, the slaves are dragged from the line and sold to the highest bidder. The owner of the slaves is a stout Vassagonian with small piggy eyes and a wart which sits like a ripe brown cherry on the end of his nose. Every time a slave is sold he cackles like a witch when the new owner steps forward to pay the auction price.</p>
1410        <p>You are about to suggest to Oriah that you should leave the square and go back to the horses, when suddenly your Kai senses alert you to danger. Within the crowd there are many pairs of eyes that have been staring avariciously at your beautiful companion. The slave trader has become aware of this and you see him signal to his henchmen. Immediately they enter the crowd and move to encircle you and Oriah. You unsheathe your weapon and command the slaver to call off his men, but he ignores your order. Suddenly the crowd melts away to reveal his six muscular thugs. They are no longer holding knotted ropes; now they hold scimitars and axes with which they slash the air as they advance slowly towards you.</p>
1411        <p><quote>Slay him!</quote> shouts the slaver. <quote>Slay the Northlander and bring me the girl!</quote> You must fight them.</p>
1412
1413        <illustration class="float">
1414         <meta>
1415          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
1416          <description>Six muscular thugs slash the air with scimitars and axes as they advance slowly towards you.</description>
1417         </meta>
1418         <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="613" mime-type="image/png"/>
1419         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="613" mime-type="image/gif"/>
1420         <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="613" />
1421        </illustration>
1422
1423        <combat><enemy>Slave trader<ch.apos/>s henchmen</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">33</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
1424        <choice idref="sect289">If you win this combat in four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
1425        <choice idref="sect195">If you win the combat in five rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1426      </data>
1427     </section>
1428
1429     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1430      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1431
1432      <data>
1433        <p>To your dismay you discover that there are hundreds of tracks covering these cobblestones, and you cannot be sure which of them belong to the creature that you are chasing. Hurriedly you decide to follow the left alley, but as a precaution you direct the militia to go off along the right alley.</p>
1434        <p>After a few hundred yards the alley opens out into a small square surrounded by private houses. There is only one exit from this square, other than the one by which you entered, and it is barred by a heavy iron gate. Lanterns surrounding the square illuminate the flagstones and you are unable to see any tracks that have been made here within the last hour. Suddenly the ghastly howl shreds the silence of the city once more. You focus your keen Kai senses and detect that it came from somewhere beyond the iron gate. Now you are sure that you have come the wrong way.</p>
1435        <choice idref="sect14">If you wish to retrace your steps back to the junction and enter the right alley, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
1436        <choice idref="sect233">If you decide instead to climb over the iron gate, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
1437      </data>
1438     </section>
1439
1440     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1441      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1442
1443      <data>
1444        <p>Reluctantly the marines follow as you descend the stairs. The moment you set foot in the taproom you are surrounded by armed guards and made to hand over your Weapons (delete all normal Weapons from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>; you need not delete your Kai Weapon which you keep hidden beneath your cloak). Once you and your companions have been disarmed, you are herded towards the counter to join more than two dozen others who are of foreign nationality. The officer in charge of the armed guards then strides to the middle of the taproom floor and proceeds to inform you in an imperious tone that you are to be taken to the Funtal<ch.apos/>s castle where your trading papers and travel documents will be scrutinized. The others, who all appear to be traders and merchants, are outraged when they hear this decree. They protest loudly and many refuse to leave the tavern. They say that it is all just a cynical ploy by the Funtal to confiscate their cargoes.</p>
1445        <p>Kol appears by your side and he whispers to you to follow him. As the Funtal<ch.apos/>s guards move in and grapple with the angry merchants, you and the marines slip away with Kol and hide in the cellar below the tavern<ch.apos/>s kitchen. An hour later, as dawn is breaking, the tavern falls silent and you emerge from your hiding place to discover that it is now completely empty.</p>
1446        <choice idref="sect255"><link-text>Turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
1447      </data>
1448     </section>
1449
1450     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1451      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1452
1453      <footnotes>
1454       <footnote id="sect34-1-foot" idref="sect34-1">
1455        <p>If you do not have enough Gold Crowns, you may choose to barter a normal Weapon, Backpack Item, or Special Item at your discretion.</p>
1456       </footnote>
1457      </footnotes>
1458
1459      <data>
1460        <p>You spend an hour enjoying the carnival spirit of the beach festival before you return to your horse and go in search of a place to stay for the night. You ride along a street running parallel to the beach, and enter the courtyard of a large two-storey hostel with stables. A young boy takes your horse<ch.apos/>s reins and leads him away to an enclosure at the side of this brightly-painted building, and you enter the hostel<ch.apos/>s front door to find it is empty. It seems that everyone is down at the beach this evening. Then you hear a noise from beyond an open doorway and a balding man appears. He rubs his bloodshot eyes and yawns, revealing a mouthful of gold teeth. You ask if he has a room for the night and lazily he nods his head.</p>
1461        <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve two types of room and service,</quote> he says. <quote>There<ch.apos/>s Standard and there<ch.apos/>s Best. Standard costs 2 Gold Crowns a night and you don<ch.apos/>t get no food. Best costs 4 Gold Crowns and you get lots of food in the morning.</quote><footref id="sect34-1" idref="sect34-1-foot"/></p>
1462        <choice idref="sect216">If you wish to buy a Standard room for the night, <link-text>turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
1463        <choice idref="sect138">If you decide to buy a Best room, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1464      </data>
1465     </section>
1466
1467     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1468      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1469
1470      <data>
1471        <p>You are aware that something unusual is happening the moment you open your eyes, for you can hear the excited chattering of crewmen and marines who are pacing about the deck directly above your cabin. Quickly you rise from your bunk and go aloft to investigate the commotion and, to your surprise, you discover that the waters around the ship are stained blood red. The transformation has been caused by millions of tiny fish, a vast shoal of scarlet Trarta who, like <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>, have sought shelter here overnight in this secluded cove.</p>
1472        <p>Captain Raker permits his men to spend an hour or two fishing for Trarta. They are a delicacy, and they will serve to supplement the crew<ch.apos/>s basic provisions of salted meat and biscuits. By noon the Trarta shoal have left in search of deeper reaches and clarity returns to the turquoise waters of the cove, revealing a new and interesting discovery. Resting on the sandy floor of the cove, twenty feet below the ship<ch.apos/>s keel, lie the remains of a Bautarian galleon. Oriah is fascinated by the wreck and she asks Captain Raker if she may be permitted to dive down and search its shattered hold. The captain has no objections, so long as she is back on board within the hour. Oriah is clearly excited by the prospect of what she may discover aboard the wreck and, as she gets ready for her dive, she asks if you would like to accompany her.</p>
1473        <choice idref="sect343">If you would like to accept Oriah<ch.apos/>s invitation to explore the sunken galleon, <link-text>turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
1474        <choice idref="sect198">If you choose to decline her invitation, <link-text>turn to 198</link-text>.</choice>
1475      </data>
1476     </section>
1477
1478     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1479      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1480
1481      <data>
1482        <p>You turn and sprint back along the street, but you have taken only a few paces when you hear a Vakeros shout a single, thunderous word: <spell>Gloar!</spell></p>
1483        <p>A concussive blast of air hits you in the middle of your back and sends you tumbling forwards to crash face-first to the ground. You strike your head on the cobblestones and badly bruise your shoulder as you somersault into the base of a street lantern-post: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1484        <p>You have been struck by the effects of the Old Kingdom Spell <spell>Power Word</spell>. Painfully you stagger to your feet and see that the Vakeros have moved forward to surround you. As they close in, you notice that their spears are held out at arm<ch.apos/>s length as if they are afraid to come too close. Their officer, a young lieutenant, steps a pace nearer and you see that he is sweating profusely. It is a warm night but this is not the reason he is perspiring: he is terrified. Then he recognizes the style of your tunic, and when he looks carefully at your face you see the whipcord tension in his body begin to ease a little.</p>
1485        <p><quote>You<ch.apos/>re a Kai?</quote></p>
1486        <p><quote>Yes,</quote> you reply. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m a journeyman bound for Elzian.</quote></p>
1487        <p>The Vakeros signals to his men and expertly they couch their spears and form a column in readiness to march.</p>
1488        <p><quote>Well, Master Kai,</quote> says the lieutenant, <quote>you had better come with us.</quote></p>
1489        <choice idref="sect285"><link-text>Turn to 285</link-text>.</choice>
1490      </data>
1491     </section>
1492
1493     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1494      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1495
1496      <data>
1497        <p>Grudgingly you hand over 20 Crowns to the young man before you and your companions stable your horses and enter the inn. To your disappointment you discover that it is a dreary place with few furnishings and decorations to soften its grey, spartan interior. A dozen villagers sit huddled around a pair of circular tables. With an air of boredom they sip their watery ale and stare at the walls in dull-eyed silence. The innkeeper, who is the father of the toll collector, serves you each a plate of stale bread and cheese for your supper. He tries to engage the marines in conversation, but they are so disgruntled with the poor food that they deliberately ignore him. Oswin suggests that you all get some sleep and make an early start, and the others heartily agree.</p>
1498        <choice idref="sect272">If you possess the Grand Master Discipline of Bardsmanship and you possess a musical instrument, <link-text>turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
1499        <choice idref="sect8">If you do not possess this skill, or if you do not have a musical instrument, <link-text>turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
1500      </data>
1501     </section>
1502
1503     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1504      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1505
1506      <data>
1507        <p>You are climbing the stairs to your room on the first floor when an old man bumps into you on the landing. He is wearing thick spectacles and he is scrutinizing a strange box-like device made from cubes and tubes of iron, quartz, and brass. Part of this device snags your cloak and rips it. He apologizes profusely and offers to mend the tear in your cloak. As you look into his bespectacled eyes your Magnakai senses detect a faint aura of magic.</p>
1508        <choice idref="sect271">If you wish to let him mend your cloak, <link-text>turn to 271</link-text>.</choice>
1509        <choice idref="sect213">If you decide to decline his offer, you may go to your room by <link-text>turning to 213</link-text>.</choice>
1510      </data>
1511     </section>
1512
1513     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1514      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1515
1516      <data>
1517        <p>The evil that lingers around this chamber makes your skin crawl and you decide to stay here not a moment longer. You and Oriah climb the stone steps and return to the marines who are now hiding among the boulders at the edge of the plateau. Ernan tells you that during your absence he has watched the riders pass by the entrance to the hill track and continue along the coast road for several miles. Just a few minutes before you arrived, these same riders came galloping back along the road towards Cape Kabar. He is convinced that they have called off the chase and have decided to return to their town.</p>
1518        <p>Now that the threat appears to have passed, you and your travelling companions remount your horses and leave this plateau.</p>
1519        <choice idref="sect146"><link-text>Turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
1520      </data>
1521     </section>
1522
1523     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1524      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1525
1526      <footnotes>
1527       <footnote id="sect40-1-foot" idref="sect40-1">
1528        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
1529       </footnote>
1530      </footnotes>
1531
1532      <data>
1533        <p>You seat yourself near the crackling campfire and one of your fellow passengers offers you a piece of fruit which you gratefully accept. The troupe are gifted acrobats and jugglers and the performances they give are very entertaining. During their act the leader of the troupe climbs upon a large barrel and challenges the audience to answer a riddle:</p>
1534        <p><quote>An old, one-legged farmer, his wife, his dog, his horse, and his cows, have 103 legs between them. How many cows does the old farmer have?</quote></p>
1535        <p>The leader is sure that nobody will answer his riddle correctly. He is so sure that he offers 10 Gold Crowns to anyone who can give him the correct answer in less than thirty seconds.</p>
1536        <puzzle idref="sect23">If you would like to accept this challenge, use the second hand of a clock or a wristwatch to time yourself while you work out the answer. If you complete the riddle in 30 seconds or less, <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn to the section number</a></when><otherwise>turn to the section number</otherwise></choose> that is the same as your answer.<footref id="sect40-1" idref="sect40-1-foot"/></puzzle>
1537        <choice idref="sect241">If you run out of time, or if you choose not to answer the riddle, <link-text>turn instead to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1538      </data>
1539     </section>
1540
1541     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1542      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1543
1544      <data>
1545        <p>The creature emits a desperate howl as your last mighty blow seals its doom. It lurches at you, its eyes white in their red-rimmed sockets, its great clawed arms swinging blindly. And then this supernatural horror surrenders to death and is brought crashing to the floor. For a few moments its great body convulses and then lies still. Wisps of evil-smelling gas arise from beneath the fur and you are forced to snatch your cloak to your face to deaden the sickly sweet stench of decay. You turn and hurry down the stairs in time to see the lieutenant and his militia breaking through the rubble which blocks the exit from the bell-tower. His men ascend the stairs and remove the vile, rotting remains of the Deathstalker which are placed upon a pyre outside in the tree-lined plaza. Soon the carcass of this murderous creature is ablaze and word of its death spreads swiftly across the city. The curfew is lifted and a large crowd comes and gathers around the dying embers of the pyre to cheer and rejoice in the destruction of the creature which, for the past month, has murdered their kinfolk and terrorized their peaceful city.</p>
1546        <choice idref="sect28"><link-text>Turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
1547      </data>
1548     </section>
1549
1550     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1551      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1552
1553      <data>
1554        <p>You scan the distant island, using your Grand Master Discipline to enhance your innate visual skills. The shoreline appears deserted, but when you cast your gaze towards the east you notice several dots on the horizon. You alert Captain Raker and he brings his telescope to bear. After a few moments<ch.apos/> observation he shouts an order to Paoll: <quote>South by southwest, if you please, First Mate. Looks like we<ch.apos/>ve got comp<ch.apos/>ny!</quote></p>
1555        <p>The timbers creak as the ship turns about and forges a passage through deep water. Following the change of bearing the wind is now no longer in your favour and Paoll is forced to tack against it to make progress. The distant ships are now visible and it is clear to all aboard that they are pirate raiders. Soon another two islands rise into view and the captain orders his First Mate to steer a course towards a narrow channel which separates them.</p>
1556        <p><quote>That<ch.apos/>s the Bukimi Channel,</quote> says Raker. <quote>If we can pass through afore those sea dogs, we<ch.apos/>ll pick up southerly winds on the far side. Then they<ch.apos/>ll never catch us!</quote></p>
1557        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1558        <choice idref="sect67">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 67</link-text>.</choice>
1559        <choice idref="sect205">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1560      </data>
1561     </section>
1562
1563     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1564      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1565
1566      <data>
1567        <p>You dodge aside but the creature throws open her arms and deals your shoulder a glancing blow with her terrible claws: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1568        <p>Bravely you turn to meet her attack and raise your weapon to defend yourself as she lashes out at your face. You parry her blow and counter it by launching yourself headlong into a desperate fight to the finish.</p>
1569        <combat><enemy>Deathstalker (mate)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">42</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
1570        <p>This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).</p>
1571        <choice idref="sect76">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1572      </data>
1573     </section>
1574
1575     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1576      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1577
1578      <data>
1579        <p>Your attempt to avoid being struck by the arrow is not as successful as you could have wished for. It penetrates your left shoulder and the energy of its impact is enough to bring you crashing to the ground. The archer laughs with glee when he sees you fall and, with encouragement from the slaver who is screaming at him to finish you off, he drops his bow and leaps down from the platform. As he rushes towards where you lie, he snatches his sword from its scabbard and raises it in readiness to deliver a fatal blow to your head.</p>
1580        <combat><enemy>Svolta</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">37</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
1581        <p>Reduce your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 3 for the first two rounds of this fight.</p>
1582        <choice idref="sect212">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
1583      </data>
1584     </section>
1585
1586     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1587      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1588
1589      <data>
1590        <p>Your weapon is clasped firmly in your fist when you turn around and find yourself staring into the face of a tall and powerfully built Vassagonian warrior. His eyes are glowing with maniacal anger as he comes rushing towards you with his hands outstretched, as if his intention is to strangle you. Before you can utter a sound, he slams into your chest and impales himself on your weapon.</p>
1591        <p>With a yelp of pain he pulls away and turns towards the open doorway. He takes three faltering steps and then collapses and lies motionless upon the tiled floor.</p>
1592        <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
1593      </data>
1594     </section>
1595
1596     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1597      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1598
1599      <data>
1600        <p>Kol is susceptible to your psychic suggestions and he obeys your mental order to turn the ship around. At first his crew are shocked and puzzled when suddenly he commands them to change course, but they do not question his decision. Silently they obey their master and within minutes the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> is sailing back to Bir Rabalou.</p>
1601        <p>You return to the city<ch.apos/>s harbour at dusk where you are met by a dozen of the Funtal<ch.apos/>s guardsmen who are checking ships along the quayside. Kol recognizes their officer<ch.emdash/>he is a man called Jhioua and he is an old friend of his. Eventually a gangplank is lowered and Kol steps briskly ashore to engage his friend in conversation. With the officer distracted, you now use your Kai camouflage skills to evade the wary eyes of his guardsmen and escape from the ship.</p>
1602        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess the Discipline of Assimilance, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1603        <choice idref="sect135">If your total score is now 4 or lower, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
1604        <choice idref="sect4">If it is 5 or higher, <link-text>turn to 4</link-text>.</choice>
1605      </data>
1606     </section>
1607
1608     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1609      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1610
1611       <footnotes>
1612        <footnote id="sect47-1-foot" idref="sect47-1">
1613         <p>The original mentioned that you <quote>see your own Arrow strike [the archer] in the chest and knock him down.</quote> To reach this Section, you must <em>not</em> have fired a Bow. Having removed this text, it is left to you to explain why the Grand Master escapes while the archer still lives.</p>
1614        </footnote>
1615       </footnotes>
1616
1617      <data>
1618        <p>Instinctively you recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Invisible Shield</spell> and a transparent disc of magical protection forms in front of your eyes. Moments later the archer<ch.apos/>s arrow strikes this sorcerous shield and shatters to pieces. The remnants of his missile fall to the ground.<footref id="sect47-1" idref="sect47-1-foot"/></p>
1619        <p>For a few uncertain moments the marines believe that you have been mortally wounded, but they are quick to cheer when they see you get to your feet and come running towards them. Oswin helps you to retrieve your horse and quickly you remount him and gallop along the avenue which leads out of this unfriendly town.</p>
1620        <choice idref="sect52"><link-text>Turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
1621      </data>
1622     </section>
1623
1624     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1625      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1626
1627      <data>
1628        <p>The elder scowls and raises his staff so that its twisted black tip is pointing towards your face. He breathes an ancient word and you feel a pressure rapidly building in your head. It is an agonizing force that threatens to crack your skull in two!</p>
1629        <choice idref="sect199">If you possess Kai-screen, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
1630        <choice idref="sect239">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
1631      </data>
1632     </section>
1633
1634     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1635      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1636
1637      <data>
1638        <p>Your Arrow punctures the leader<ch.apos/>s breastplate and brings him tumbling to his knees. Desperately his fingers scrabble to wrench the shaft free, but it has penetrated too deeply and he is soon overwhelmed by the pain of the mortal wound he has sustained. With one final gasp he keels over and falls face-down upon the deck.</p>
1639        <choice idref="sect63"><link-text>Turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
1640      </data>
1641     </section>
1642
1643     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1644      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1645
1646      <data>
1647        <p>Dromodon strides into the arena with his arms flung wide to receive the frenzied adulation of the crowd. He is a magnificent lion of a man, with broad shoulders and a mighty chest that ripples with bronzed muscle. His grim face is stern and majestic beneath a mane of wild black hair, and he moves with the confidence and grace of a huge, predatory animal. At first he appears to be the very embodiment of gladiatorial perfection, and you regret that you should have to fight this heroic warrior to the death. But your regrets soon evaporate when you look into his eyes, for you see revealed there his true nature. Beneath the fa<ch.ccedil/>ade of his heroic exterior lurks a soul filled with evil. Your senses tell you that he is a secret worshipper of Naar. The Dark God has given him many rewards<ch.emdash/>his strength and his status<ch.emdash/>and in return Dromodon has consigned hundreds of noble souls to an eternity of slavery in the thrall of Naar. Now you see him for what he really is<ch.emdash/>a ruthless murderer, a heartless killing machine<ch.emdash/>and all empathy with him as a fellow warrior is lost. This will be a fight to the death and you must fight to win!</p>
1648
1649        <illustration class="float">
1650         <meta>
1651          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
1652          <description>You see Dromodon for what he really is<ch.emdash/>a ruthless murderer, a heartless killing machine.</description>
1653         </meta>
1654         <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="606" mime-type="image/png"/>
1655         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="606" mime-type="image/gif"/>
1656         <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="606" />
1657        </illustration>
1658
1659        <combat><enemy>Dromodon</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">44</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">39</enemy-attribute></combat>
1660        <p>This enemy is immune to all forms of psychic attack.</p>
1661        <choice idref="sect268">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1662      </data>
1663     </section>
1664
1665     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1666      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1667
1668      <data>
1669        <p>You call upon all of your speed and agility in a desperate attempt to throw yourself out of the path of this terrifying meteor. A superhuman effort will be required if you are to accomplish this desperate action successfully.</p>
1670        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery add 3 to the number you have picked. You may add an additional 1 to the number you have picked for every 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point you are prepared to deduct from your current total.</p>
1671        <choice idref="sect342">If your total score is now 1 or lower, <link-text>turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
1672        <choice idref="sect15">If it is 2<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
1673        <choice idref="sect203">If it is 8 or higher, <link-text>turn to 203</link-text>.</choice>
1674      </data>
1675     </section>
1676
1677     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1678      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1679
1680      <data>
1681        <p>For an hour you ride without daring to stop in case the slaver has dispatched his henchmen to pursue you. The hills keep the interior of this country hidden from view until you reach a broad-based canyon bisected by a meandering stream. The threat of pursuit has now passed and so you halt here to slake your thirst before continuing your long ride south.</p>
1682        <p>Beyond the canyon, the road crosses a rolling coastal plain which lies at the eastern edge of the Dry Main<ch.emdash/>Vassagonia<ch.apos/>s vast desert. The undulations of its windswept sands give this great sun-bleached emptiness the appearance of a vast yellow sea that seems to stretch away into infinity. You feel a disturbing unease as you stare across this wilderness for there is nothing to break the view, and nothing that could offer you a place to hide should the need arise.</p>
1683        <p>As dusk approaches you are pleased to see that the road bears to the east and passes within sight of the ocean. The heat of the day has now surrendered to a biting night wind that makes your horse and your companions shiver. Mindful of their need for shelter, you leave the road and scout the rugged coastline in search of a cave in which to spend the night. Your tracking skills lead you to a dry cave that is ideal and you camp here and build a fire from driftwood. Over a meal of roasted crabmeat the conversation turns to Oriah and your fears for her safety. Later this night, as you sit the first watch, you offer a prayer to the Goddess Ishir to protect her and keep her safe. You have a strong feeling that the young woman is still alive and that one day, sometime in the future, your paths are destined to cross once more.</p>
1684        <p>After a few hours, Sligh wakes from his slumber to take his turn keeping watch at the mouth of the cave. Gladly you hand over the duty to him and settle down for some much needed sleep (you may restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
1685        <choice idref="sect142">To continue, <link-text>turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
1686      </data>
1687     </section>
1688
1689     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1690      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1691
1692      <data>
1693        <p>You watch aghast as the Itikars swoop past the balloon and rake their talons across its canopy. The sudden loss of gas from the canopy shakes the basket and you are knocked off your feet. Yranai falls on top of you and, for a few nerve-racking seconds, you lie entangled at the bottom of the basket as the balloon rapidly loses altitude. When you pull yourself up and peer over the rim, you see the trees of the lower mountain slopes rising towards you at a dizzying speed. Yranai looks up to see shreds of cloth trailing from the punctured canopy above and the sight proves too much for him: he faints. Hurriedly you haul his frail body over your shoulder. Then you place one foot on the rim of the basket and get ready to make a desperate leap away from this doomed balloon as the tops of the mountain pines rise into view.</p>
1694        <choice idref="sect107">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 107</link-text>.</choice>
1695        <choice idref="sect115">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
1696      </data>
1697     </section>
1698
1699     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1700      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1701
1702      <data>
1703        <p>You invite the magician to enter your room and, after checking that the corridor is empty, you close the door. You can sense his excitement as you place the item(s) that you would like him to purchase on a small table which stands beside the mattress.</p>
1704        <choice idref="sect201">If the item you wish to sell is the Iron Skull, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
1705        <choice idref="sect134">If it is the Siyen Crown, <link-text>turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
1706        <choice idref="sect298">If it is the Kutyan Emerald, <link-text>turn to 298</link-text>.</choice>
1707      </data>
1708     </section>
1709
1710     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1711      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1712
1713      <data>
1714        <p>Your Kai Sixth Sense informs you that the whirlpool is being created by a powerful entity, a creature that is hiding somewhere in the undergrowth which blankets the overhanging cliff. From its high vantage point it is pouring its evil energy down into the channel below, causing the vortex which now threatens to drag <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> to a deep, watery grave.</p>
1715        <p>You inform Raker of what you have detected and he orders the marines to fire a volley from their deck guns, aimed at the foliage on top of the cliff.</p>
1716        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1717        <choice idref="sect16">If the number you have chosen is 0 or 1, <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
1718        <choice idref="sect294">If it is 2<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 294</link-text>.</choice>
1719      </data>
1720     </section>
1721
1722     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1723      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1724
1725      <data>
1726        <p>The man rapidly disappears into the crowd, and when you check your Backpack you discover that your suspicions were well founded. The flap is unbuckled and there is one item missing (erase the first item which you have noted on your Backpack Items list).</p>
1727        <choice idref="sect96">To continue, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
1728      </data>
1729     </section>
1730
1731     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1732      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1733
1734      <data>
1735        <p>You wait until the last moment before you leap over the falling statue. It shears the surface from the steps on which, just seconds ago, you were standing, but your reactions prove too slow for you to avoid being struck a glancing blow to the neck and shoulder: lose 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1736        <p>As you fall to the steps, you see the statue finally reach the bottom of the stairwell where it smashes into several large segments which block the narrow doorway and fill the base of the stairwell with thick dust. Gritting your teeth against the pain of your injuries, you stagger to your feet and hurry as fast as you can up the stairs in pursuit of your prey<ch.emdash/>the scourge of Hikas.</p>
1737        <choice idref="sect177"><link-text>Turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
1738      </data>
1739     </section>
1740
1741     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1742      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1743
1744      <data>
1745        <p>The owner sympathizes with you. He does not want to lose your custom and so he tries to strike a deal. He says that he would be willing to accept two of your Backpack Items instead of the remaining six Gold Crowns.</p>
1746        <choice idref="sect333">If you agree to his deal, erase any two Backpack Items from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (excluding Meals) and <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
1747        <choice idref="sect224">If you do not agree to his deal, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
1748      </data>
1749     </section>
1750
1751     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1752      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1753
1754      <data>
1755        <p>Your Arrow hits the warrior but it is deflected by the steel nose-guard that is fixed to the front of his helmet. You are about to reload your Bow and fire again when suddenly there is a tremendous crash. <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> lurches violently and you are thrown backwards across the deck.</p>
1756        <choice idref="sect274"><link-text>Turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
1757      </data>
1758     </section>
1759
1760     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1761      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1762
1763      <data>
1764        <p>Bravely you meet her attack and counter it by launching yourself headlong into a desperate fight to the finish.</p>
1765        <combat><enemy>Deathstalker (mate)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">42</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
1766        <p>This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).</p>
1767        <choice idref="sect76">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1768      </data>
1769     </section>
1770
1771     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1772      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1773
1774      <data>
1775        <p><quote>Welcome, Master Journeyman,</quote> says the smiling trader, <quote>I<ch.apos/>m most pleased to make your acquaintance. My name is Kolastemi Ayusidihara but people know me better as Kol. I see by the cloak clasp you are wearing that you are a Kai journeyman of Sommerlund, yes?</quote></p>
1776        <p>You nod to affirm this and the excited little man proceeds to tell you about himself and his business. You hear that he is a merchant who was born in Casiorn but who now lives in the city of Kuchek. When he was a young man he traded silk for wheat in Holmgard where he first encountered the Kai. Once, when his caravan was attacked by a Giak war party on the Ruanon Pike, it was the timely intervention of a Kai journeyman that saved his life and his cargo. Since that day he has revered your warrior order. Barely pausing for breath, he tells you proudly that he has a ship moored in the harbour which is filled with timber that he intends to trade for spices in Bisutan. He plans to set sail tomorrow at noon. When at last he pauses to take a sip of ale from his tankard, you inform him that you and your three companions are travelling overland to Elzian.</p>
1777        <p><quote>By horse? Such a tiring way to travel and such a difficult road too,</quote> he says. <quote>I would gladly offer you passage aboard my ship but, alas, I carry such a heavy cargo that I could only accommodate one extra passenger. You would be most welcome to sail with me to Bisutan, but sadly I am unable to offer such a favour to your friends.</quote></p>
1778        <p>You thank Kol for his offer but decline it, preferring to stay with the marines. You are tired now, and so you rise from your seat and bid the friendly trader goodnight and a safe voyage. As you turn to go to your room he calls out: <quote>If you should change your mind, remember I sail at noon. My ship is moored at the end of the east quay. She<ch.apos/>s called <cite>Desert Jewel</cite>.</quote></p>
1779        <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1780      </data>
1781     </section>
1782
1783     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1784      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1785
1786      <data>
1787        <p>You enter this musty emporium and cast your experienced eye across its shelves and glass-fronted cabinets. A toothless old crone is standing behind a toa wood counter and she bids you welcome. As you walk around the shop she watches you like a hawk.</p>
1788        <p>Most of her wares appear to be second-hand items of little value or practical use. Of all the thousands of things that are crammed into this shop, only the following catch your eye:</p>
1789        <ul>
1790         <li>Rope<ch.emdash/>3 Gold Crowns</li>
1791         <li>Blanket<ch.emdash/>2 Gold Crowns</li>
1792         <li>Hourglass<ch.emdash/>3 Gold Crowns</li>
1793         <li>Tinderbox<ch.emdash/>2 Gold Crowns</li>
1794         <li>Spyglass<ch.emdash/>2 Gold Crowns</li>
1795        </ul>
1796        <p>If you wish to purchase one or more of the above Backpack Items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1797        <choice idref="sect17">To leave the shop, <link-text>turn to 17</link-text>.</choice>
1798      </data>
1799     </section>
1800
1801     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1802      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1803
1804      <data>
1805        <p>For a few moments the raiders stand transfixed with shock, as if they are unable to comprehend that their leader is truly dead. Then the reality of their loss crashes in upon them and they become overwhelmed by their worst fears. Without their leader, they panic and hurriedly cut the grappling lines which hold the two vessels together. When the last rope is severed there is a great rending of iron and timber as the ram of the pirate ship wrenches itself free from <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite><ch.apos/>s port side. Then a cheer resounds from the mouths of those Sommlending who have survived the battle when they see the enemy ship turn about and flee for the safety of the isles off Cape Kabar.</p>
1806        <choice idref="sect281">To continue, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1807      </data>
1808     </section>
1809
1810     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1811      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1812
1813      <data>
1814        <p><quote>He<ch.apos/>s right,</quote> says the rogue, and sheepishly he backs away from your table.</p>
1815        <p><quote>He can<ch.apos/>t be the creature,</quote> whispers one of the other men. <quote>It wouldn<ch.apos/>t know the answer.</quote></p>
1816        <p>Confused and angered by their actions, and by what they are saying, you rise from your seat and demand an explanation. The innkeeper hurries over with a tankard of ale in his hand. He and the men apologize for the frosty reception you have received since you entered the tavern, and the innkeeper offers you the ale, free of charge, as if to make amends for their behaviour.</p>
1817        <p><quote>I don<ch.apos/>t want your ale,</quote> you snap. <quote>What I want is an explanation. What<ch.apos/>s really going on here?</quote></p>
1818        <p>The innkeeper looks at you and there is fear behind his eyes. <quote>Very well,</quote> he says, <quote>I<ch.apos/>ll tell you. It<ch.apos/>s only right that you should know.</quote></p>
1819        <choice idref="sect74"><link-text>Turn to 74</link-text>.</choice>
1820      </data>
1821     </section>
1822
1823     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1824      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1825
1826      <data>
1827        <p>You pitch camp among some sand dunes overlooking the village and its picturesque bay. Oswin attends to the horses while you help Sligh and Ernan to build a fire from driftwood. While you are foraging for wood, you stumble upon some strange pink-leaved plants growing along the edge of the beach.</p>
1828        <choice idref="sect317">If you possess Herbmastery, <link-text>turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
1829        <choice idref="sect228">If you do not possess this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
1830      </data>
1831     </section>
1832
1833     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1834      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1835
1836      <data>
1837        <p>The door bangs open against the wall and a loud screech echoes from your room. This painfully sharp noise makes you raise your weapon defensively but, as you prepare to strike a blow, you suddenly see a startled cat come hurtling through the doorway. You smile to yourself and sheathe your weapon as you watch the terrified cat scurry along the corridor amidst a cloud of dust and loose fur.</p>
1838        <p>The room itself is shabby but clean. You take off your cloak and equipment, wash from a cracked porcelain bowl, and then sit down on the threadbare mattress which serves as a bed. Now your thoughts return to your mission, and while you are pondering what may yet lie in store for you on the road to Elzian, you open the satchel containing the Moonstone and bathe in the warm glow which radiates from this wondrous artefact.</p>
1839        <p>Suddenly there is a knock on your door. The sound gives you a start and quickly you buckle the satchel and stow it under the mattress.</p>
1840        <choice idref="sect229">If you possess Telegnosis and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
1841        <choice idref="sect339">If you possess Grand Huntmastery and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
1842        <choice idref="sect25">If you possess neither of these skills, or if you choose not to use them, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1843      </data>
1844     </section>
1845
1846     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1847      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1848
1849      <data>
1850        <p>By the skill of her crew and helmsman, <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> enters the Bukimi Channel and picks up a prevailing wind which propels her swiftly away from the pirate raiders. Soon the enemy ships have disappeared beyond the distant horizon. When Raker is sure that they have abandoned the chase, he praises his First Mate and crew and promises that tonight they can look forward to a double rum ration as reward for their skilful seamanship.</p>
1851        <p>As the ship navigates the narrow strait dividing these two Lakuri islands, you pass close by the fire-blackened ruins of a beach settlement which nestles in a bay overshadowed by cliffs. It is Kita Cove, formerly the secret base from where Captain Khadro launched his pirate fleet. Staring at the charred remnants of his settlement, you try to imagine what it must have looked like before the encampment was consumed by the tremendous fireball that was to seal its doom.</p>
1852        <p>A mile beyond Kita Cove, the strait becomes narrower at a place where it passes between two overhanging cliffs. Paoll is sure that he can navigate safely through this channel, but his confidence is shaken when the lookout suddenly screams a warning: <quote>Whirlpool ahead!</quote></p>
1853        <p>When you catch sight of the swirling, foaming water, you sense immediately that this is not a natural phenomenon: this watery vortex is the result of evil sorcery.</p>
1854        <choice idref="sect226">If you possess Elementalism, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
1855        <choice idref="sect55">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 55</link-text>.</choice>
1856      </data>
1857     </section>
1858
1859     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1860      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1861
1862      <data>
1863        <p>You ride the benign thermal currents that swirl between these lower mountain peaks and enjoy a spectacular aerial view of the Great Masourn Range. Within the hour you emerge from the peaks and drift towards columns of rock that rise up from the lower slopes of the timbered mountainside. Circling above one of these columns are six large, black winged birds. You magnify your vision and your pulse quickens when instantly you recognize them to be Itikars<ch.emdash/>giant Vassagonian eagles.</p>
1864        <p>The leader of this predatory group has golden markings on his wing tips that glint in the sun, giving them a metallic appearance, and when he sees the balloon approaching he veers away from the column. The others follow his lead and all six come flying towards you in a wedge-shaped formation.</p>
1865        <p>They fly past overhead and stare down at the balloon with their cold black eyes. Then the leader turns about and you sense that he intends to attack you on his next pass. His companions form up behind him in a line and he leads them in a steep dive.</p>
1866
1867        <illustration class="float">
1868         <meta>
1869          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
1870          <description>The leader of the Itikars turns and you see that he is about to attack with his razor-sharp claws.</description>
1871         </meta>
1872         <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="595" mime-type="image/png"/>
1873         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="595" mime-type="image/gif"/>
1874         <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="595" />
1875        </illustration>
1876
1877        <p>As he comes to within a hundred feet, he spreads his razor-sharp talons and fixes his cruel eyes on the balloon<ch.apos/>s vulnerable canopy.</p>
1878        <choice idref="sect141">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 141</link-text>.</choice>
1879        <choice idref="sect168">If you possess Animal Mastery and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
1880        <choice idref="sect326">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
1881        <choice idref="sect53">If you possess neither of these skills, nor a Bow, or if you choose not to use any of them, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
1882      </data>
1883     </section>
1884
1885     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1886      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1887
1888      <data>
1889        <p>The old woman sits herself at your table and takes hold of your right hand. For a few minutes she mumbles and murmurs incoherently as she traces every line on your palm with her crooked index finger.</p>
1890        <p><quote>Great strength, long life, and good fortune will be yours, kind sir,</quote> she says, grinning inanely. <quote>Ah, but what is this? Is this love I see? I<ch.ellips/>I cannot be sure.</quote> And with this she holds open her left palm inviting you to give her another Gold Crown. You look to the owner of the inn and he frowns and shakes his head. The old crone is clearly a charlatan and she will tell you anything she thinks you want to hear so long as you continue to pay her. You snatch your hand away and tell her to leave. Muttering darkly, she picks up her basket and scuttles out of the inn, slamming the door behind her with a resounding crash.</p>
1891        <p>It is getting late and you are feeling tired after your long day<ch.apos/>s ride, so you bid goodnight to the owner and retire to your room to sleep.</p>
1892        <choice idref="sect242">To continue, <link-text>turn to 242</link-text>.</choice>
1893      </data>
1894     </section>
1895
1896     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1897      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1898
1899      <data>
1900        <p>The meteor is deflected by a plume of water that you are able to summon from the surface of the raging sea. Yet the power of this plume is not sufficient enough to prevent the flaming fireball from striking and scorching the left side of your body: lose 10 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1901        <choice idref="sect132">If you have survived this grievous injury, you can continue by <link-text>turning to 132</link-text>.</choice>
1902      </data>
1903     </section>
1904
1905     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1906      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1907
1908      <data>
1909        <p>Your Arrow punctures the leader<ch.apos/>s breastplate, but its steel tip does not sink deeply enough into his chest to cause him a fatal wound. He snaps the shaft of the missile in two and casts it aside with contempt. To your dismay, you see that his men are greatly impressed by their leader<ch.apos/>s apparent invulnerability and this helps to revive their flagging morale.</p>
1910        <choice idref="sect5"><link-text>Turn to 5</link-text>.</choice>
1911      </data>
1912     </section>
1913
1914     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1915      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1916
1917      <data>
1918        <p>You look to the bell and use your Kai Mastery in an attempt to locate the creature, but you can sense nothing unusual. Then a knot of fear tightens in your throat when suddenly you detect a powerful aura of evil. You turn to look at the cowering cleric and your fear becomes an icy terror when you realize that <em>he</em> is the source of the evil. Slowly you move backwards towards the stairs and he pleads with you not to go. Then he abandons his pretence. The pupils of his eyes shimmer and become spheres that glow darkly amber, and in a terrifying instant his body transforms. One moment he is a bearded holy man and, in a split-second blur, he becomes a snarling hulk of black-furred death. With breathtaking speed it leaps at you and slashes at your throat with its razor-sharp talons.</p>
1919        <choice idref="sect345">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 345</link-text>.</choice>
1920        <choice idref="sect204">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
1921      </data>
1922     </section>
1923
1924     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1925      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1926
1927      <data>
1928        <p>You bid Kol good luck and wish him a safe voyage before you and your companions collect your horses and set off from the tavern. The streets of Bir Rabalou are quiet this morning and you reach the city<ch.apos/>s south gate without incident. Here you gallop through the open gates to avoid any risk of being detained by the surly guards. They shout and curse you and loose off a few arrows in your wake, but these are poorly aimed and you escape from the city unharmed.</p>
1929        <p>It is approaching noon when you arrive at a junction where the coast road splits in two. Ahead of you are the gentle foothills of the Koneshi Mountains, and beyond them you glimpse the snowy peaks of that great range rising majestically into the cloudless sky. Away to the east you can see the rugged coastline of southern Vassagonia where the cresting ocean waves break their backs upon wild and rocky beaches.</p>
1930        <p>A signpost at the junction points to the east and to the south. To the east it reads, <quote>Khor<ch.emdash/>100 miles / Bisutan<ch.emdash/>225 miles</quote>. To the south it reads, <quote>Koneshi Pass to Bisutan<ch.emdash/>125 miles</quote>.</p>
1931        <p>Consult the <a idref="map">map</a> before you decide which road you wish to travel in order to reach the city of Bisutan.</p>
1932        <choice idref="sect167">If you choose the coastal road (east), <link-text>turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
1933        <choice idref="sect152">If you choose the mountain road (south), <link-text>turn to 152</link-text>.</choice>
1934      </data>
1935     </section>
1936
1937     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1938      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1939
1940      <data>
1941        <p><quote>The people of Hikas are living in fear of their lives,</quote> says the innkeeper, as he draws up a chair and sits with you at your table. <quote>For the past month there<ch.apos/>s been a creature stalking our streets at night. It<ch.apos/>s killed more than fifty poor souls, and in terrible fashion. Ripped <ch.apos/>em to pieces. There ain<ch.apos/>t anyone who<ch.apos/>s lived to tell what it looks like but everyone<ch.apos/>s got their own ideas. Some say it<ch.apos/>s a shape-changer that goes about at day in the guise of a man and changes into a beast at night. Others say it<ch.apos/>s come from Gorgoron, seeking revenge on the Old Kingdom for the death of its master<ch.emdash/>Agarash the Damned. I<ch.ellips/>I don<ch.apos/>t know what to think. All I know is that it stalks the streets, and every night someone dies a ghastly death by its hand.</quote></p>
1942        <p>Suddenly the door to the tavern opens and in strides a Vakeros soldier with a sword wavering in his hand. He is wearing the uniform of a lieutenant of the city<ch.apos/>s militia, and beside him is a small boy<ch.emdash/>the innkeeper<ch.apos/>s son. <quote>That<ch.apos/>s him!</quote> shouts the boy, pointing his finger accusingly at you.</p>
1943        <p>The innkeeper vouches to the nervous lieutenant that you are a journeyman and not the creature that has paralysed Hikas with a reign of terror. The lieutenant relaxes a little and sheathes his sword. He shouts to a unit of his guardsmen who are grouped outside to form into a column and get ready to march, and then he turns to you and asks you to accompany him.</p>
1944        <choice idref="sect20"><link-text>Turn to 20</link-text>.</choice>
1945      </data>
1946     </section>
1947
1948     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1949      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1950
1951      <data>
1952        <p>The enemy ship is less than a hundred yards off the port beam when you see the dark shape at its prow begin to twitch and shudder. At first it resembles the body of some grotesque gigantic tick; then eight rubbery legs spring from its black underbelly and suddenly the shape takes on a far more sinister aspect.</p>
1953        <p>A gasp of terror arises from the crew when this spider-like monstrosity opens its scarlet maw and emits a high-pitched chittering shriek. As the enemy vessel speeds nearer you watch with mounting dread as this hideous spider-creature raises its forelegs, as if in readiness to pounce. Furiously it rubs its forelimbs together and a mass of blue-white sparks appear at their tips. Then suddenly there is a deafening crackle of electrical power. A bolt of blazing energy shoots from the creature<ch.apos/>s maw and snakes across the water towards the crew and marines aboard your ship. The creature<ch.apos/>s attack hits its mark and the effect is swift and devastating. The crackling bolt ignites timber and sail, and leaves a dozen men sprawled dead or unconscious across the decks. Through the smoke of the burning sailcloth you see the enemy vessel bearing down to ram <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>. Impact is but seconds away.</p>
1954
1955        <illustration class="float">
1956         <meta>
1957          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
1958          <description>A crackling bolt of blazing energy shoots from the creature<ch.apos/>s maw towards your ship.</description>
1959         </meta>
1960         <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="612" mime-type="image/png"/>
1961         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="612" mime-type="image/gif"/>
1962         <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="612" />
1963        </illustration>
1964
1965        <choice idref="sect101">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
1966        <choice idref="sect270">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
1967      </data>
1968     </section>
1969
1970     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1971      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1972
1973      <data>
1974        <p>The Deathstalker<ch.apos/>s mate howls with pain and terror as your fatal blow pierces her evil heart. She stumbles backwards, slashing at her own chest with her razor-sharp claws in a frenzied madness of anger and frustration. Then, with a final gurgling cry, death claims her and she crashes down into the dense foliage and is still. Slowly the noises of the jungle return as the nocturnal animals of this Old Kingdom sense that the terrible threat of her presence has passed.</p>
1975        <p>The sun rises over the jungle and lights this steamy, humid morning. By the growing light you dig a grave in the soft earth and lay the remains of the Deathstalker<ch.apos/>s mate to rest here, among the ruins of this ancient settlement. Then you offer up a prayer to the God Kai for having bestowed upon you strength and courage enough to triumph over this creature of evil, before you mount your horse and set off along the jungle trail to Elzian.</p>
1976        <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
1977      </data>
1978     </section>
1979
1980     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1981      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1982
1983      <data>
1984        <p>Following the landlady<ch.apos/>s written directions, you make your way through the streets of the city to a wide concourse which ascends to a knoll called Zakhan<ch.apos/>s Mount that overlooks the south gatehouse. Through the open gates you can see the mighty bridge which spans the lower fork of the River Khorda. Beyond lie the Bavari Hills shimmering in a heat haze, and towards the horizon are the Great Masourn Mountains which appear like a jagged purple frieze joined to the sky.</p>
1985        <p>Standing in line before the south gates is a caravan of wagons drawn by sturdy douggas, the sand horses of the Dry Main. Many wagons are piled high with merchants<ch.apos/> goods destined for Bavari<ch.emdash/>a rich cargo watched over by a dozen armed outriders in the pay of the caravan<ch.apos/>s owners. You approach a line of trestle tables set up near the leading wagons where passengers may purchase a seat aboard the caravan for the three-day journey to Bavari. Chalked upon a slate is the price of the fare: 7 Gold Crowns.</p>
1986        <choice idref="sect253">If you possess 7 Gold Crowns, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
1987        <choice idref="sect164">If you do not possess 7 Gold Crowns, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1988      </data>
1989     </section>
1990
1991     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1992      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1993
1994      <data>
1995        <p>The slaver sees you running towards him and the sight immediately wipes the sneer from his face. With a squeal of fright he grabs hold of a young female slave and cowers behind her, using her body as a shield to protect himself from you. Repeatedly he screams the name <quote>Svolta!</quote> until, in answer to his frantic cry, a short man in a close-fitting grey robe suddenly appears from behind the row of slaves. He is carrying a Vassagonian cavalry bow with an arrow already fixed to the bowstring. The slaver commands him to fire at you and the man obeys with breathtaking speed.</p>
1996        <choice idref="sect192">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 192</link-text>.</choice>
1997        <choice idref="sect257">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
1998        <choice idref="sect308">If you possess Elementalism and wish to use this Discipline, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
1999        <choice idref="sect292">If you possess none of these skills, or if you have chosen not to make use of them, <link-text>turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
2000      </data>
2001     </section>
2002
2003     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
2004      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
2005
2006      <data>
2007        <p>The timid little trader sees that you are about to walk away without buying anything, after having spent some time examining his wares. Immediately he suspects that you think him too expensive and so he decides to lower his prices. He now offers to let you have any of his potions for only 2 Gold Crowns each.</p>
2008        <choice idref="sect7">If you now wish to buy one or more of his potions, <link-text>return to 7</link-text> and make your choice from the potions listed there.</choice>
2009        <choice idref="sect96">If you still have no desire to buy any of his potions, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
2010      </data>
2011     </section>
2012
2013     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
2014      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
2015
2016      <data>
2017        <p>Your swift blow strikes the spider and sends it hurtling across the room, but not before it has had a chance to inject its lethal poison into your thigh. A red-hot lance of pain shoots up your thigh and makes you cry out in agony. You muster your Kai healing skills to counter the venom, but the pain hardly recedes at all.</p>
2018        <choice idref="sect243">If you possess Cowana herb, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
2019        <choice idref="sect225">If you do not possess this healing herb, <link-text>turn to 225</link-text>.</choice>
2020      </data>
2021     </section>
2022
2023     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
2024      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
2025
2026      <data>
2027        <p>Your Arrow misses its intended mark, yet it looks set to bury itself into the creature<ch.apos/>s belly as the beast leaps into the air. Unfortunately, the spider-creature sees your onrushing missile and transforms it into ash with a burst of its electrical power.</p>
2028        <p>You are about to reload your Bow and fire again when suddenly there is a tremendous crash. The ship lurches violently and you are thrown backwards across the deck.</p>
2029        <choice idref="sect274"><link-text>Turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2030      </data>
2031     </section>
2032
2033     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
2034      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
2035
2036      <data>
2037        <p>The guardsmen take you away to a dingy cell below the arena where you are kept until the time comes for you to meet your opponent. You are allowed to keep your Weapons, including your Kai Weapon, but you are warned that the use of sorcery within the gladiatorial arena is strictly forbidden. Torvax despises magic and any breach of this rule will result in immediate execution. (The contest is restricted to hand weapons only; if you possess a Bow it is now confiscated and you must delete it from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
2038        <p>Within the hour the guardsmen return: it is time for you to meet your adversary. As you are led from your cell and escorted along the tunnel, you can hear the crowd above roaring with excitement. Then, as you step into the fading sunlight, you hear gasps of astonishment from some quarters. They come from your fellow travellers who cannot believe that it is you, the friendly Northlander, who is to fight Dromodon the Invincible to the death. The guardsmen march you to the centre of the arena and leave you standing there alone under the watchful gaze of the expectant crowd. Minutes later, the crowd erupts when Dromodon emerges from the tunnel.</p>
2039        <choice idref="sect50"><link-text>Turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
2040      </data>
2041     </section>
2042
2043     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
2044      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
2045
2046      <data>
2047        <p>The man snakes his way through the crowd with surprising speed. He is fast and agile, but he is no match for a Kai Grand Master and you quickly catch him. Your suspicions were correct: he is clasping to his chest an item from your Backpack (the first item on your list). Having been caught red-handed, this wily thief now tries to turn the tables on you. He screams at the top of his voice that you are robbing him. His wailing cries attract the crowd<ch.apos/>s attention and soon you find yourself surrounded by a score of scowling faces, all looking accusingly at you.</p>
2048        <choice idref="sect30">If you possess the Discipline of Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 30</link-text>.</choice>
2049        <choice idref="sect286">If you possess the Discipline of Bardsmanship and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2050        <choice idref="sect318">If you possess neither of these skills, or if you choose not to use them, <link-text>turn to 318</link-text>.</choice>
2051      </data>
2052     </section>
2053
2054     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
2055      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
2056
2057      <data>
2058        <p>You press yourself flat against your horse<ch.apos/>s neck and listen as the archer<ch.apos/>s arrow buzzes towards you like an angry hornet. Then you feel a sharp pain in your back as its tip grazes your spine (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). For a few uncertain moments the marines believe that you have been mortally wounded, but they are quick to cheer when they see you sit up and glance over your shoulder.</p>
2059        <p>Despite the stinging pain of your wound you manage a smile and you acknowledge their glad shout with a wave of your hand. Then you dig your heels into your horse<ch.apos/>s flanks once more and gallop along this avenue which leads out of Kilij.</p>
2060        <choice idref="sect52"><link-text>Turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
2061      </data>
2062     </section>
2063
2064     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
2065      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
2066
2067      <data>
2068        <p>Quickly you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Levitation</spell> and you rise into the air. Moments later, the statue crashes down and shears the surface from the steps on which, just seconds ago, you were standing. You see the statue finally reach the bottom of the stairwell where it smashes into several large segments which block the narrow doorway and fill the base of the stairwell with thick dust. You speak the words which counter the effects of the spell and feel yourself gliding down towards the cracked steps. The moment your feet touch down, you race up the stairs in pursuit of the scourge of Hikas.</p>
2069        <choice idref="sect177"><link-text>Turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
2070      </data>
2071     </section>
2072
2073     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
2074      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
2075
2076      <data>
2077        <p>Your superb horsemanship keeps you from falling off. It also helps you to regain control of your steed and steer him swiftly towards the crest of the rockfall. The first boulders are beginning to smash down around you as he carries you valiantly to the top of the mound and gallops over the far side. You are half-blinded by dust, but still you are able to dodge a falling boulder which threatens to break your back before you reach the safety of the open trail beyond.</p>
2078        <p>Here you rein in your horse and turn him about so that you can take stock of the damage which has been caused by this second rockfall.</p>
2079        <choice idref="sect11"><link-text>Turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
2080      </data>
2081     </section>
2082
2083     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
2084      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
2085
2086      <data>
2087        <p>You brace yourself against the inside of the basket as the outcrop looms nearer. Moments later, there is the sound of ripping cloth and you are jolted off your feet. Yranai falls on top of you and you lie entangled at the bottom of the basket as the balloon is suddenly whisked away from the outcrop by a second crosswind.</p>
2088        <p>You disentangle yourself from the old man and struggle to your feet. You can feel the balloon is rapidly losing altitude and, when you peer over the rim of the basket, you see the trees of the lower mountain slopes rising towards you at a dizzying speed. Yranai pulls himself up beside you, but when he sees shreds of cloth trailing from the punctured canopy above, he faints and collapses. Hurriedly you haul his frail body over your shoulder. Then you place one foot on the rim of the basket and get ready to make a desperate leap away from this doomed balloon as the top of the mountain pines come clearly into view.</p>
2089        <choice idref="sect107">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 107</link-text>.</choice>
2090        <choice idref="sect115">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
2091      </data>
2092     </section>
2093
2094     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
2095      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
2096
2097      <data>
2098        <p>You leave the ship and walk across the quayside to the Good Cheer Inn. It is an old timber-framed tavern which looks deserted at this early hour. A bell tinkles as you push open its heavy door, attracting the attention of a doe-eyed innkeeper who is mopping last night<ch.apos/>s spilt ale from the floor. You ask if he has seen Captain Raker.</p>
2099        <p><quote>You must be the journeyman who<ch.apos/>s sailing south.</quote> The answer comes from the top of a staircase, Moments later a broad-shouldered man with a golden beard and sharp blue eyes comes striding down the stairs. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m Raker,</quote> he says, as he struggles to pull on his leather jerkin and fix the belt of his heavy-bladed cutlass. <quote>Hey, Squin. Go rustle me up some grub. I<ch.apos/>m so hungry m<ch.apos/>stomach thinks m<ch.apos/>throat<ch.apos/>s been cut.</quote></p>
2100        <p>As the innkeeper goes away to fetch breakfast for the captain, he asks if you want some food as well. After having ridden all night without once stopping, you answer: <quote>I<ch.apos/>ll have whatever the captain<ch.apos/>s having.</quote></p>
2101        <p><quote>Good man!</quote> booms Raker. <quote>I ain<ch.apos/>t fond of eating alone. Here, let<ch.apos/>s sit ourselves down and fill our bellies before we set sail.</quote></p>
2102        <choice idref="sect127"><link-text>Turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
2103      </data>
2104     </section>
2105
2106     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
2107      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
2108
2109      <data>
2110        <p>The sun grows warmer as noon approaches and the parched hills around Bavari melt away into a lush savannah of tall grasses, broken occasionally by swathes of loamy soil. The air has become humid and the fertile landscape is rich with fauna. In the distance, the verdant foothills of the Great Masourn Mountains appear in stark contrast to the brown arid wastes through which you have travelled these past few days.</p>
2111        <p>As night falls you find yourself approaching a village which sits astride the border with neighbouring Dessi. It shelters behind a tall palisade which is patrolled by several Vakeros, the indigenous tribesmen of this realm. They are an ancient race whose lineage can be traced back to the Age of the Old Kingdoms, yet the Vassagonians consider them to be primitives and often pour scorn on their simple ways and their tribal culture. Some of Vassagonia<ch.apos/>s more ruthless leaders have in the past waged war upon the Vakeros with the aim of stealing their fertile land, but all of these wars have ended in costly defeat for Vassagonia. Dessi is ruled by the Elder Magi whose mastery of Old Kingdom magic is unparalleled and, over many centuries, they have taught the secrets of their battle-sorcery to the Vakeros. Armed with magic, they have kept their land and their culture secure from the ravages of their aggressive desert neighbour.</p>
2112        <p>Since the demise of the Darklords and the fall of Zakhan Kimah<ch.emdash/>the despised Vassagonian ruler<ch.emdash/>peace has returned to the border regions of Dessi. Yet, as you approach the palisade, you see that the Vakeros guards are wary and suspicious. One of their elders approaches you and, with a staff of twisted black wood, he signals that he wants you to halt. Your Sixth Sense detects that his staff possesses magical properties; he is using it to assess if you are a threat to his village.</p>
2113        <choice idref="sect237">If you possess an Iron Skull, <link-text>turn to 237</link-text>.</choice>
2114        <choice idref="sect332">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
2115      </data>
2116     </section>
2117
2118     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
2119      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
2120
2121      <data>
2122        <p>Sligh hisses a warning that the riders are returning along the coast road. Quickly you take cover in the gully and wait with bated breath as the sound of their horses<ch.apos/> hoofbeats gets louder. When they ride past the gully without stopping you breathe a little easier, for you feel sure that they must have decided to call off the chase and return home to Cape Kabar.</p>
2123        <p>Now that the threat has passed, you signal to Oriah and the marines to remount their horses. It is time to leave the gully and continue the long ride south.</p>
2124        <choice idref="sect336"><link-text>Turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
2125      </data>
2126     </section>
2127
2128     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
2129      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
2130
2131      <data>
2132        <p>A dozen arena guards rush into the room and elbow their way through the gladiators<ch.apos/> advancing ranks. They are armed with Bor muskets which they level at your head and chest. These primitive firearms are wildly inaccurate at ranges where a bow can be precise and deadly, but they are devastating when used at close quarters. Reluctantly you sheathe your weapon and raise your hands in surrender for to attempt an escape now is futile.</p>
2133        <p>The gladiators surround you swiftly and drag you out of the room. You are manhandled roughly along the tunnel and brought before a distinguished-looking man who is clad in fine white linen and jewel-encrusted armour. He is Torvax, the owner of the dead warrior-slave Malduz. The news that his finest gladiator is dead sends him into a blind fury. Malduz was to fight at dusk in the final combat of the circus. Now Torvax stands to lose the winner<ch.apos/>s purse of 1,000 Gold Crowns. In his rage he orders that you be executed at dusk before the entire arena. The situation is looking hopeless until, as you are being dragged away, you offer to fight for Torvax in Malduz<ch.apos/>s place.</p>
2134
2135        <illustration class="float">
2136         <meta>
2137          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
2138          <description>In his rage, Torvax orders that you be executed at dusk before the entire arena.</description>
2139         </meta>
2140         <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="639" mime-type="image/png"/>
2141         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="639" mime-type="image/gif"/>
2142         <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="639" />
2143        </illustration>
2144
2145        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is 20 or higher, add 2 to the number you have picked. If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is 8 or lower, deduct 2 from the number you have picked.</p>
2146        <choice idref="sect304">If your total score is now 3 or lower, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
2147        <choice idref="sect193">If it is 4 or higher, <link-text>turn to 193</link-text>.</choice>
2148      </data>
2149     </section>
2150
2151     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
2152      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
2153
2154      <data>
2155        <p>You are woken in the middle of the night by a tickling sensation just above your left knee. At first you ignore it, but when you feel it moving you pull back the bed sheet and instantly you freeze. Crawling slowly up your thigh is a red-legged spider with a copper-coloured body the same size as a Gold Crown. At once your Kai instincts recognize it to be a zuath<ch.emdash/>a Vassagonian tree spider. Its venom has been known to kill in seconds.</p>
2156        <choice idref="sect153">If you possess Animal Mastery, <link-text>turn to 153</link-text>.</choice>
2157        <choice idref="sect280">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2158      </data>
2159     </section>
2160
2161     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
2162      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
2163
2164      <data>
2165        <p>Once you are both aboard, Captain Raker gives the order to weigh anchor and soon <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> is forging a course once more through open seas. With all sails unfurled, the ship cuts a swift course through the foam-flecked ocean. During the afternoon your southerly passage is joined by a school of dolphins who entertain you by leaping and plunging into the azure waves. The wind is strong and the voyage continues without incident until, early the following morning, the isles off Cape Kabar appear in a line upon the southern horizon.</p>
2166        <p>You meet with Fernant and Oriah on the rear deck and share a breakfast of bread and grilled Trarta. As you eat, you talk about yesterday<ch.apos/>s dive and the items that you found in the sunken wreck. You are enjoying the company of your travelling companions when suddenly the relaxed and easy mood is shattered by the lookout<ch.apos/>s frantic shout: <quote>Pirate raider off the starboard bow!</quote></p>
2167        <choice idref="sect165"><link-text>Turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
2168      </data>
2169     </section>
2170
2171     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
2172      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
2173
2174      <data>
2175        <p>The creature leaps upon you as you are falling backwards and you tumble down the circular stairs, locked together in a deadly embrace. It hits the floor of the landing below and its body cushions your impact, enabling you to recover quickly and unsheathe your weapon. The creature is momentarily stunned by the fall and you seize the opportunity to attack it before it can get to its feet.</p>
2176        <combat><enemy>Deathstalker (stunned)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">38</enemy-attribute></combat>
2177        <p>You may ignore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> losses sustained in the first round of this combat. The creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).</p>
2178        <choice idref="sect41">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 41</link-text>.</choice>
2179      </data>
2180     </section>
2181
2182     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
2183      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
2184
2185      <data>
2186        <p>The owner ushers you to a table and his wife appears carrying four plates, each stacked high with a mound of fresh vegetables and poached fish. While you enjoy this delicious meal, you listen to the marines talking about their homes and families back on Kirlu, their past tours of duty, and their fond memories of Sergeant Dryan. You sense that each man, in his own way, is grieving the loss of this brave young sergeant. Soon their jovial conversation has become tinged with melancholy and homesickness and you become a little worried by their mood of sadness. To raise their morale you ask the owner to bring them each a measure of his finest brew. Gladly he accepts your order and pours each man a flagon of strong dark ale. This proves most effective in curing their melancholy for it is so strong that it renders all three of them unconscious! With the owner<ch.apos/>s help you carry the marines to their beds and then return to enjoy a small glass of ale in his company.</p>
2187        <p>A little while later an old woman enters the inn clutching a basket filled with bones, dice, and other fortune-telling paraphernalia. She offers to tell you the secrets of your future in return for 1 Gold Crown.</p>
2188        <choice idref="sect69">If you wish to accept the old woman<ch.apos/>s offer, <link-text>turn to 69</link-text>.</choice>
2189        <choice idref="sect242">If you choose to decline her offer, you can retire for the night by <link-text>turning to 242</link-text>.</choice>
2190      </data>
2191     </section>
2192
2193     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
2194      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
2195
2196      <data>
2197        <p>You walk to the south side of the market where it is less populated. Here, sandwiched between a warehouse and a storage shed, you discover a small lodging house. A sign in the window says that there are clean rooms available and so you enter to enquire about the price. You are greeted by a woman whose almond-shaped eyelids tell you that she is from Chai, a land far away in Southern Magnamund. She tells you that a room here for the night will cost you 3 Gold Crowns, a price which also includes a morning meal.</p>
2198        <choice idref="sect183">If you possess 3 Gold Crowns and wish to stay here for the night, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
2199        <choice idref="sect155">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 155</link-text>.</choice>
2200      </data>
2201     </section>
2202
2203     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
2204      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
2205
2206      <data>
2207        <p>Your single-handed victory forces the surviving raiders to retreat towards the port beam. But before you can reach Sergeant Dryan and his men, these raiders receive reinforcements from their ship and they begin to advance towards you once more.</p>
2208        <p>Suddenly a falling chunk of wood smashes into the deck close to where you are standing. When you look up, you see that the giant spider is now tearing at the mast and topsail with its fanged maw. Fearful of what may happen if it should be allowed to direct its power upon the decks below, you decide that you must confront the creature and defeat it as swiftly as you are able. Using your natural Kai speed and agility, you scale the mainmast and approach the giant spider from below. At first it fails to notice you, but when you pause for a few moments to unsheathe your weapon, it dips its head and you find yourself staring into a pair of ghastly green eyes. It rubs its forelegs together and sparks appear, warning you that it is preparing to launch a bolt of energy. Quickly you cut free a trailing rope and swing away from the mainmast just in time to avoid being burnt to a cinder when it launches its burst of crackling blue fire. Your swift action saves you, but as the momentum of your swing carries you back towards the mast, so you see that the creature is preparing a new form of attack.</p>
2209        <p>It waits until you come to rest in the rigging, and then it ejects a stream of grey fluid from a sac located below its gaping maw. This fluid hardens as it passes through the air, transforming into several long and sticky strands which threaten to engulf and imprison you in a gluey web.</p>
2210        <choice idref="sect303">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use this Discipline now, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
2211        <choice idref="sect210">If you possess Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
2212        <choice idref="sect162">If you possess neither of these Grand Master Disciplines, or if you choose not to use either of them, <link-text>turn instead to 162</link-text>.</choice>
2213      </data>
2214     </section>
2215
2216     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
2217      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
2218
2219      <data>
2220        <p>As the great statue tumbles down the steps, you try to anticipate where it will fall so that you can attempt to leap aside and save yourself from being crushed beneath it.</p>
2221        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery, you may add 2 to the number you have picked. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is 20 or higher, you may add 2. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is 10 or lower, you must deduct 2.</p>
2222        <choice idref="sect57">If your total score is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 57</link-text>.</choice>
2223        <choice idref="sect312">If it is 5 or higher, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
2224      </data>
2225     </section>
2226
2227     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
2228      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
2229
2230      <data>
2231        <p>Before long you find that you have gathered enough wood to last all night. Laden with an armful of driftwood, you return to the dunes and build a fire which will keep the four of you warm and comfortable all night, despite the chill sea winds.</p>
2232        <p>You each take a turn at keeping watch for two hours during the night. During your turn, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2233        <choice idref="sect249">To continue, <link-text>turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
2234      </data>
2235     </section>
2236
2237     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
2238      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
2239
2240      <data>
2241        <p>The <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> approaches Bisutan harbour late in the afternoon. The city itself is located upon an island in the estuary of the River Khorda and is linked to the mainland by two great stone bridges. You admire these wondrous spans from afar as the ship takes its place in a line of vessels that are waiting to dock at the crowded quayside. The magnificent harbour is full of people who have come here from the four corners of Magnamund to trade their wares. Travellers, merchants, farmers, priests, and slaves are just a few of the people you observe when finally the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> is allowed to dock at the harbour wall.</p>
2242        <p>Kol<ch.apos/>s trading partners are already waiting on the quayside to meet the ship. They are anxious to do business with him, but the battered state of the ship following yesterday<ch.apos/>s storm does little to inspire their confidence. The moment the gangplank is lowered, they come rushing aboard to inspect the timber in the hold. Kol bids you a hurried farewell as he and his crew thank you once more for saving their lives and their livelihoods. You disembark and push your way through the busy harbour square and enter a broad avenue which leads to the heart of this teeming city. At a place called Dhanamet Square you happen upon an evening bazaar. You are mindful of your need to find lodging for the night and some means by which you will be able to continue your journey to Elzian. As you stop to look at the market and the fa<ch.ccedil/>ades of the shops and taverns which border upon it, your eye is caught by the gaily-decorated merchant<ch.apos/>s stalls and the exotic wares displayed upon them.</p>
2243        <choice idref="sect7">If you wish to take a closer look at the market stalls, <link-text>turn to 7</link-text>.</choice>
2244        <choice idref="sect236">If you choose instead to try to find a place to stay for the night, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
2245      </data>
2246     </section>
2247
2248     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
2249      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
2250
2251      <data>
2252        <p>Quickly you unshoulder your Bow and snatch an Arrow from your Quiver. Bracing yourself against the ship<ch.apos/>s rail, you draw back your bowstring and scan the decks of the attacking ship for a suitable target. Two immediately loom into view. The first is the ghastly maw of the giant spider; the second is the head of a warrior who is standing inside the forecastle. From the way he is shouting at those around him, you suspect that he must be the commander of the enemy vessel.</p>
2253        <choice idref="sect322">If you choose to fire your Arrow at the spider-creature, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
2254        <choice idref="sect170">If you choose to fire at the warrior<ch.apos/>s head, <link-text>turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
2255      </data>
2256     </section>
2257
2258     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
2259      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
2260
2261      <data>
2262        <p>You use your Kai healing skills to revive the old man and calm his trembling limbs. Then you help him to sit up and, when he has regained his composure, he looks into your eyes and says:</p>
2263        <p><quote>You are one of the Kai, yes?</quote> You nod your head and a smile deepens the wrinkles around his mouth. <quote>You possess a stone of power<ch.ellips/>a legendary stone?</quote> This time you hesitate, but you sense that it is a rhetorical question: the old man already knows the answer. Briefly he searches among his pillows and retrieves a leather-bound tube. He flips open one end of the tube and tips a plain-looking ring into the palm of his hand. It seems to be crafted from petrified wood.</p>
2264        <p><quote>Take this, Kai Lord,</quote> he says, and proffers you the ring. <quote>It will keep you safe on your long journey. That which you seek to return <em>must</em> be delivered.</quote></p>
2265        <p>You take the ring and place it in the pocket of your tunic (record Temujun<ch.apos/>s Ring as a Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>). The old man smiles once more and, although no words are exchanged, you sense that he is deeply satisfied to be able to assist your vital mission.</p>
2266        <p>You thank him and leave his tent. Once outside, you walk down to the edge of the oasis to bathe your face and drink the warm, fresh water. The yellow flames of the campfire are glimmering on its surface and you pause to consider joining the travellers who are seated around it, enjoying the show.</p>
2267        <choice idref="sect40">If you decide to go to the campfire, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
2268        <choice idref="sect290">If you choose to retire to the empty carriage and get some sleep, <link-text>turn instead to 290</link-text>.</choice>
2269      </data>
2270     </section>
2271
2272     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
2273      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
2274
2275      <data>
2276        <p>As you place your offering upon the platform, you are refreshed by a surge of vitality and your mind is filled with an unexpected sense of calm and well-being.</p>
2277        <p>You may restore 6 lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for each Special Item that you place upon the offerings platform (you may not offer either the Moonstone or the Iron Skull).</p>
2278        <choice idref="sect34">When you have made the appropriate adjustments to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, you can continue by <link-text>turning to 34</link-text>.</choice>
2279      </data>
2280     </section>
2281
2282     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
2283      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
2284
2285      <data>
2286        <p>Oriah returns to her cabin to rest whilst you stay on deck and help tend the wounded crewmen. Using your Kai curing skills, you do what you can to ease their pain and repair their battle-wounds. To your great surprise, many of the injured men<ch.apos/>s wounds heal at a remarkable speed. In fact some recover so quickly that you acquire something of a reputation among them as a miracle worker. Secretly, though, you suspect that it is the presence of the Moonstone that is the real reason for their miraculous return to good health.</p>
2287        <p>It is shortly before dusk when Captain Raker brings his damaged ship limping into the harbour of Cape Kabar, and moors her alongside its red-stoned quay. Leaving Paoll in charge, he goes ashore to seek out his shipwright friend, Kimpil, at the harbour shipyard. Soon he returns with a wizened old man and together they inspect the damaged hull.</p>
2288        <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s goin<ch.apos/> to take a month to fix <ch.apos/>er right,</quote> says the captain on his return. <quote>Kimpil says her keel<ch.apos/>s damaged and she<ch.apos/>ll have to go into dry-dock. It<ch.apos/>s goin<ch.apos/> to be a long job.</quote></p>
2289        <p>After talking with Raker and the others, you decide that you cannot stay here for a month while the ship is being repaired. Oriah, too, is anxious to leave for she fears that Cape Kabar is the first place Sesketera will look for her when he hears of his brother<ch.apos/>s death. Oriah has friends in Bisutan whom she trusts and she suggests that you travel there together. She is confident that her friends can help you to reach Elzian quickly and safely.</p>
2290        <p>In addition to Oriah, you also agree to take with you the three surviving marines<ch.emdash/>Ernan, Sligh, and Oswin. Ernan has visited Cape Kabar once before and he knows the route south to Bisutan. He also knows of some stables on the far side of the town where the five of you could acquire some horses. You agree that it would be worth a visit.</p>
2291        <p>Before you bid farewell to Raker and his crew, you share one last meal with them. (Unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.)</p>
2292        <choice idref="sect181">To continue, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
2293      </data>
2294     </section>
2295
2296     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
2297      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
2298
2299      <data>
2300        <p>Warily the Vakeros move forward to surround you, their spears held out at arm<ch.apos/>s length as if they are afraid to come too close. Their officer, a young lieutenant, steps a pace nearer and you can see that he is sweating profusely. It is a warm night but this is not the reason he is perspiring: he is terrified. Then he recognizes the style of your tunic, and when he looks carefully at your face you see the whipcord tension in his body begin to ease.</p>
2301        <p><quote>You<ch.apos/>re a Kai?</quote></p>
2302        <p><quote>Yes,</quote> you reply. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m a journeyman bound for Elzian.</quote></p>
2303        <p>The Vakeros signals to his men and expertly they couch their spears and form up into a column in readiness to march.</p>
2304        <p><quote>Well, Master Kai,</quote> says the lieutenant, <quote>you<ch.apos/>re going to have to come with us.</quote></p>
2305        <choice idref="sect285"><link-text>Turn to 285</link-text>.</choice>
2306      </data>
2307     </section>
2308
2309     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
2310      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
2311
2312      <data>
2313        <p>You find your room at the end of a corridor on the first floor and you are pleased to discover that it is clean and well furnished. You fall asleep within minutes of lying down upon the feather-mattressed bed, yet it seems as if you have barely closed your eyes when, two hours later, you are rudely awoken by noises in the taproom below. The clomp of iron-shod boots and the hubbub of angry voices make you leap from your bed and reach for your weapon. Quickly you gather your equipment and cloak and ease open the door to your room. Outside in the corridor you see your companions; like you they have been awoken by the commotion downstairs.</p>
2314        <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s the City Guard,</quote> whispers Oswin, who is peering down the stairwell. Then the tavern-keeper appears and he comes rushing up the stairs. His face is red as a beetroot and he is shaking with fright. <quote>The<ch.ellips/>the Funtal of Bir Rabalou<ch.apos/>s men are here,</quote> he says, his voice wavering. <quote>They<ch.apos/>ve had word that there are assassins abroad in the harbour and they<ch.apos/>re checking all foreigners. You<ch.apos/>re to go down to the taproom at once.</quote></p>
2315        <choice idref="sect33">If you choose to comply with the tavern-keeper<ch.apos/>s request to go downstairs to the taproom, <link-text>turn to 33</link-text>.</choice>
2316        <choice idref="sect2">If instead you choose to ignore his request, you can search for somewhere to hide from the City Guard by <link-text>turning to 2</link-text>.</choice>
2317      </data>
2318     </section>
2319
2320     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
2321      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
2322
2323      <data>
2324        <p>With the old magician draped over your shoulder, you leap from the basket and plummet towards the ground. As you fall, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Levitation</spell> and instantly the spell enables you to control the speed of your descent towards the trees below. You see the balloon smash into the timberland and, as you descend through the upper branches of this pine forest, you brace yourself in readiness for the moment when your feet touch the ground.</p>
2325        <p>Unfortunately, when you cast <spell>Levitation</spell> in mid-air, you did not anticipate that the increased weight of Yranai would have any effect on your control of this spell. It is not until you are within twenty feet of the ground that you realize you are coming down too fast. You attempt to compensate but it is too late and you strike the rocky soil with a tremendous jolt that knocks you unconscious.</p>
2326        <choice idref="sect341"><link-text>Turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
2327      </data>
2328     </section>
2329
2330     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
2331      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
2332
2333      <data>
2334        <p>Together with Paoll and a party of five armed marines, you row ashore in the ship<ch.apos/>s longboat. With weapons drawn, you and your search party sift through the ruins of Khadro<ch.apos/>s encampment but find few items of any practical value. There are several tracks which have been made by the creatures you glimpsed earlier, but they all lead away into the surrounding jungle and you can no longer detect their presence.</p>
2335        <p>Mindful of the risk you are taking simply by being here on the island, away from the ship, you signal to the men to return to the longboat. As you are descending the beach, you trip accidentally upon something half-buried in the black sand. Closer inspection reveals it to be a fist-sized ball of iron that has been crafted into the shape of a human skull. (If you wish to keep this Iron Skull, record it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item which you carry in the pocket of your tunic.)</p>
2336        <choice idref="sect217">To continue, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
2337      </data>
2338     </section>
2339
2340     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
2341      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
2342
2343      <data>
2344        <p>Shocked by this mental intrusion, you dig your heels into Jhani<ch.apos/>s flanks and urge the old mare to the gallop. The elder dodges aside as your horse bolts forward and the Vakeros guards along the palisade loose off their arrows. They whistle past you on all sides yet, in the near-darkness, fail to find their mark. Keeping yourself pressed low against your horse<ch.apos/>s neck, you steer her around the perimeter of the palisade and into a field of tall bamboo where you quickly disappear from sight.</p>
2345        <p>It is dark when you finally rein Jhani to a halt. You dismount and tend to the hundreds of tiny cuts and abrasions she has sustained to her legs, caused by the sharp bamboo stalks. Rather than push on in the dark and have your horse sustain more injuries, you camp here for the night. Unfortunately, the bamboo fields of Dessi are notorious for their infestations of biting mosquitoes, and you spend most of the long night fending them off: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Also, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose a further 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2346        <p>In the early morning light you are able to lead your horse out of the bamboo field and find your way back onto the road to Hikas.</p>
2347        <choice idref="sect186"><link-text>Turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
2348      </data>
2349     </section>
2350
2351     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
2352      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
2353
2354      <data>
2355        <p>It is noon of the following day when eventually you emerge from the Koneshi Mountains and catch your first exciting glimpse of the great city of Bisutan, seated upon an island in the estuary of the River Khorda. With an air of expectation you follow the mountain road as it meanders down through sagebrush hills until, at dusk, you finally reach a titanic stone bridge that spans the shimmering waters of the Khorda. This mighty bridge has for centuries carried a flow of traders to and from a towering gatehouse which is set into the city<ch.apos/>s protective wall.</p>
2356        <p>It is not the custom of Bisutan<ch.apos/>s city guards to stop travellers without good reason, for here the merchants of all Magnamund meet to haggle and trade and barter their cargoes. With a courteous smile they allow you to pass through their great gate and enter their magnificent city.</p>
2357        <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
2358      </data>
2359     </section>
2360
2361     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
2362      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
2363
2364      <data>
2365        <p>You enter the right alley and the militia, who are following closely, split into two groups. Roughly half their number searches the other alley whilst the remainder stays with you.</p>
2366        <p>As you are running along this narrow thoroughfare, you suddenly hear the sound of splintering timbers somewhere in the distance. A hundred yards later the alley opens out into a tree-lined plaza which is bordered by shops selling rare artefacts of the Old Kingdom, and expensive works of art. Their windows and doors are securely barred and shuttered and show no signs of a forced entry. Then your eye is drawn to a grand building on the far side of the plaza: it is a temple. Its great stone door is closed, but a smaller wooden door at the side has been torn off its hinges. You magnify your vision and see that beyond the door is a flight of stone steps which ascend to a bell-tower.</p>
2367        <p>Cautiously you approach the shattered door. You unsheathe your weapon and scan the darkened stairs before silently you ascend the steps. You have climbed twenty steps when suddenly you hear a hideous snickering growl and an icy chill runs the length of your spine. There is an ominous creak of stone on stone and a movement in the darkness above, and then a crashing fills your ears. Out of the darkness you see a great marble statue come smashing down the narrow stairway. It rapidly gathers speed as it tumbles end-over-end towards you.</p>
2368        <choice idref="sect85">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
2369        <choice idref="sect98">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 98</link-text>.</choice>
2370      </data>
2371     </section>
2372
2373     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
2374      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
2375
2376      <data>
2377        <p>You tumble across the decking and slam head-first into the gunwale. The impact opens a gaping wound across your forehead and leaves you feeling stunned and nauseous: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Using your basic Kai healing skills you manage to staunch the flow of blood. The pain and sickness swiftly recede and you are able to stagger back to your feet.</p>
2378        <choice idref="sect139"><link-text>Turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
2379      </data>
2380     </section>
2381
2382     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2383      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2384
2385      <data>
2386        <p>You continue your ride along the jungle trail and make good progress, although you are haunted all the while by a profound sense of unease. You attribute these feelings to the sight of Gorgoron. You have heard many dark tales about this chasm which, until now, you had dismissed as nothing more than fanciful ghost stories. Having seen the chasm with your own eyes you are no longer so ready to disbelieve them.</p>
2387        <p>At sundown you reach the palmy fringes of an ancient settlement that surrendered to the jungle centuries ago. The moon rises like a silver shield in the cloudless night sky and you make camp at the side of the trail, sheltered beneath a canopy of mosses and vines. The jungle is alive with the tiny noises of its nocturnal creatures. They seem to make your horse unusually nervous, until you soothe him with your Magnakai skills of Animal Control. You are tired after your long ride through this humid rainforest and soon you drift off to sleep. It seems as if you have only just closed your eyes when you are stirred to instant wakefulness by the sound of a ghastly howl.</p>
2388        <choice idref="sect200"><link-text>Turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
2389      </data>
2390     </section>
2391
2392     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2393      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2394
2395      <data>
2396        <p>You watch with bated breath as the riders pass by the entrance to the hill track and continue along the coast road. You are beginning to suspect that they have disappeared for good when unexpectedly they turn about and come galloping back along the road towards Cape Kabar. When they ride past the hill track without stopping you feel sure that they have decided to call off the chase and return home to their town.</p>
2397        <p>Now that you are confident that the threat has passed, you tell Oriah and the marines to remount their horses. It is time to leave the plateau and continue the long ride south.</p>
2398        <choice idref="sect336"><link-text>Turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
2399      </data>
2400     </section>
2401
2402     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2403      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2404
2405      <data>
2406        <p>With the old magician draped over your shoulder, you leap from the basket and plummet headlong towards the ground. You see the balloon smash into the timberland barely moments before you hit the upper branches of this pine forest. The old man is torn from your grasp and you lose consciousness as you crash through the branches of the trees.</p>
2407        <choice idref="sect163"><link-text>Turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2408      </data>
2409     </section>
2410
2411     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2412      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2413
2414      <data>
2415        <p>You inch open the door and see a tall, lean, grey-haired old man standing outside in the corridor. He wears the silvery grey robes of a magician and his broad facial features are unmistakably Kakushian.</p>
2416        <p><quote>Forgive me for disturbing you at this hour,</quote> he says, politely, <quote>but I felt compelled to make your acquaintance. My name is Rhous. I am journeyman to the Magicians<ch.apos/> Guild of Nikesa. I sensed a <em>power</em> within this room and I thought, perhaps, that you might be a fellow student of sorcery. Am I correct?</quote></p>
2417        <p>Your Sixth Sense tells you that this old magician is genuine<ch.emdash/>he is who he claims to be. Your common sense tells you that he is also incredibly nosey!</p>
2418        <choice idref="sect137">If you wish to tell him to go away and leave you alone, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
2419        <choice idref="sect310">If you choose to talk with him further, <link-text>turn to 310</link-text>.</choice>
2420      </data>
2421     </section>
2422
2423     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2424      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2425
2426      <data>
2427        <p>You follow a shoal of yellow-tailed fish into the gaping hole in the hull and discover scores of boxes, bales, and casks lying scattered within. Most of the cargo sealed inside these containers is no longer of any use or value, yet inside one rotten casket you discover an item that gleams like new. It is a golden crown, embellished with rural scenes of a distant land that you recognize to be Siyen. (If you wish to keep this Siyen Crown, record it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item.)</p>
2428        <p>Through the hole in the wrecked hull you glimpse Oriah ascending to the surface for air. Satisfied that there is little else of value aboard this wreck, you leave the hold and return to the bow of <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>.</p>
2429        <choice idref="sect93"><link-text>Turn to 93</link-text>.</choice>
2430      </data>
2431     </section>
2432
2433     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2434      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2435
2436      <data>
2437        <p>His staff wavers and the tip moves very slightly so that it is no longer pointing at the hilt of your Kai Weapon; it is now pointing at the pocket of your tunic in which you keep the ring. The elder<ch.apos/>s expression transforms once more, this time from a frown into a broad smile. Suddenly he seems pleased to see you and he steps aside to allow you to ride past the palisade.</p>
2438        <choice idref="sect347"><link-text>Turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2439      </data>
2440     </section>
2441
2442     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2443      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2444
2445      <data>
2446        <p>You say farewell to the three marines and wish them a swift and safe journey home to Sommerlund. Then you leave the tavern with Kol and make your way quickly to his ship which is moored at the end of the quay. Two of the Funtal<ch.apos/>s guards are patrolling the quayside but they do not challenge you as you board Kol<ch.apos/>s vessel. They only seem interested in foreign traders who are entering the harbour rather than those making a hasty departure. The Vassagonians who man the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> seem a friendly crew, and they welcome Kol<ch.apos/>s return with cheerful humour. He in turn treats them like sons and it is clear from the way they converse that he is a very popular owner.</p>
2447        <p>The ship sets sail at noon and sails swiftly southwards with a benevolent wind filling its triangular sail. Kol expects the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> to take a day and a half to navigate the two hundred and sixty miles of coastal water between Bir Rabalou and Bisutan. He suggests that you relax and enjoy the voyage, yet despite the fair weather and jovial company you are disturbed by a growing sense of unease. You spend your time on deck for the holds and cabins are filled to the brim with cargo. The only shelter from the sun which scorches the open deck is a makeshift spread of canvas near the stern. You are lying here in the shade when, late in the afternoon, you sense a storm brewing on the horizon.</p>
2448        <choice idref="sect288">If you possess Grand Pathsmanship <em>and</em> Telegnosis, <link-text>turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
2449        <choice idref="sect129">If you do not possess both of these Grand Master Disciplines, <link-text>turn to 129</link-text>.</choice>
2450      </data>
2451     </section>
2452
2453     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2454      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2455
2456      <data>
2457        <p>Before you can fully unsheathe your weapon, the creature slams into you and rakes your chest with her terrible claws: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2458        <p>Bravely you struggle to your feet and raise your weapon to defend yourself as she lashes out at your face. You parry her blow and counter it by launching yourself headlong into a desperate fight to the finish.</p>
2459        <combat><enemy>Deathstalker (mate)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">42</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
2460        <p>This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge).</p>
2461        <choice idref="sect76">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
2462      </data>
2463     </section>
2464
2465     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2466      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2467
2468      <data>
2469        <p>Swiftly you scale the rigging and approach the giant spider from below. It is busily tearing at the mast and topsail with its fanged maw and at first it fails to notice you. For a few moments you stop to unsheathe your weapon and suddenly the creature dips its head and fixes you with a pair of ghastly green eyes. It rubs its forelegs together and sparks appear, warning you that it is preparing to launch a bolt of energy. Quickly you cut free a trailing rope and swing away from the rigging just in time to avoid being burnt to a cinder when it launches its burst of crackling blue fire. Your swift action saves you, but as the momentum of your swing carries you back towards the rigging, you see that the creature is preparing a new form of attack.</p>
2470        <p>It waits until you come to rest upon the criss-cross of ropes and then it ejects a stream of grey fluid from a sac located below its gaping maw. This fluid hardens as it passes through the air, and it transforms into several long and sticky strands which threaten to engulf you.</p>
2471        <choice idref="sect303">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use this Discipline now, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
2472        <choice idref="sect210">If you possess Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
2473        <choice idref="sect162">If you possess neither of these Grand Master Disciplines, or if you choose not to use either of them, <link-text>turn instead to 162</link-text>.</choice>
2474      </data>
2475     </section>
2476
2477     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2478      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2479
2480      <data>
2481        <p><quote>There<ch.apos/>s no such place!</quote> says the rogue, and his eyes widen with fear.</p>
2482        <p><quote>By the gods! He does not know the name of his own capital!</quote> gasps one of his companions. His mouth drops open and he fumbles to unsheathe his sword. Suddenly it seems that everyone in the tavern is gripped by an inexplicable madness. The rogue pulls a dagger from his belt and attempts to stab you, but you turn his clumsy thrust aside with your forearm and knock him to the floor as you leap out of your seat. Two of the others try to strike you simultaneously with their swords and you duck below their blades. They strike each other and fall back, screaming and clutching at their wounds. A thrown bottle catches you a glancing blow to the head as you run for the door (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points), but you manage to pull it open and escape into the darkening street without further injury. However, to your dismay you discover that your horse Jhani has disappeared. Two men brandishing swords appear in the doorway behind you and swiftly you sprint along the street. You use your Kai camouflage skills to evade them and they quickly give up the chase.</p>
2483        <choice idref="sect295"><link-text>Turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
2484      </data>
2485     </section>
2486
2487     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2488      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2489
2490       <footnotes>
2491        <footnote id="sect123-1-foot" idref="sect123-1">
2492         <p>The original mentioned that you <quote>see your own Arrow strike [the archer] in the chest and knock him down.</quote> To reach this Section, you must <em>not</em> have fired a Bow. Having removed this text, it is left to you to explain why the Grand Master escapes while the archer still lives.</p>
2493        </footnote>
2494       </footnotes>
2495
2496      <data>
2497        <p>Swiftly you recite the words of the Old Kingdom Spell <spell>Shield</spell> and a transparent disc of magical protection shimmers in front of your eyes. An instant later the archer<ch.apos/>s arrow strikes this sorcerous shield and disintegrates. The splintered wood of the missile falls to the ground.<footref id="sect123-1" idref="sect123-1-foot"/></p>
2498        <p>For a few uncertain moments the marines believe that you have been mortally wounded, but they are quick to cheer when they see you get to your feet and come running towards them. Ernan helps you to retrieve your horse and quickly you remount him and gallop along the avenue which leads out of this unfriendly town.</p>
2499        <choice idref="sect52"><link-text>Turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
2500      </data>
2501     </section>
2502
2503     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2504      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2505
2506      <data>
2507        <p>You are in good spirits when you reach the ancient gates of Gologo. Your day<ch.apos/>s ride has been swift and enjoyable, and you are looking forward to beginning the final leg of your journey to Elzian tomorrow at first light. You are now only two days<ch.apos/> ride away from that wondrous city.</p>
2508        <p>The town of Gologo has a mysterious and exotic aura. Its ancient streets are cobbled with lime green stone, and ornate structures of vivid Vakeros art embellish every building and street corner. There is a festival taking place here tonight and the town is in a lively carnival mood. As you ride down a steep, narrow street towards the beach, you can see a crowd of native Vakeros are gathered there in brightly coloured costumes. Some wear elaborate headgear made from lacquered wood and feathers, and others are covered from neck to ankle with garments made from vibrant jungle blooms. There is a full moon tonight and the people of this town are celebrating the fertility of their land with ritual offerings of food and wine to the Goddess Ishir. It is a joyous festival and everyone on the beach is smiling and happy.</p>
2509
2510        <illustration class="float">
2511         <meta>
2512          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
2513          <description>The town of Gologo is in a lively carnival mood and native Vakeros gather on the beach below you.</description>
2514         </meta>
2515         <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="640" mime-type="image/png"/>
2516         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="640" mime-type="image/gif"/>
2517         <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="640" />
2518        </illustration>
2519
2520        <choice idref="sect251">If you wish to go to the beach and join in the festival, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
2521        <choice idref="sect321">If you choose instead to look for an inn or a lodging house where you can stay the night, <link-text>turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
2522      </data>
2523     </section>
2524
2525     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2526      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2527
2528      <footnotes>
2529       <footnote id="sect125-1-foot" idref="sect125-1">
2530        <p>This is the correct answer to the sealed portal puzzle in <a idref="sect174">Section 174</a>.</p>
2531       </footnote>
2532      </footnotes>
2533
2534      <data>
2535        <p>Upon the instant you utter the ancient number there is a creaking of stone and the marble slab begins to descend slowly into the floor.<footref id="sect125-1" idref="sect125-1-foot"/> As it falls it reveals another chamber where an ugly bronze idol rests upon a plinth of rough-hewn agate. Fixed into a hollow in the chest of the idol is a shimmering green emerald as large as your fist. Cautiously you sniff the stale air of this secret chamber and your Kai senses detect the foul, lingering odour of evil sorcery.</p>
2536        <choice idref="sect215">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
2537        <choice idref="sect130">If you do not possess this Grand Master Discipline, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
2538      </data>
2539     </section>
2540
2541     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2542      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2543
2544      <data>
2545        <p>Abruptly you turn around and race back across the square towards the market bazaar. The crowd scream and scatter as you approach them, for they can see that the slaver<ch.apos/>s henchmen are giving chase and they are terrified at the prospect of being dragged into a bloody m<ch.ecirc/>l<ch.eacute/>e when finally they catch up with you. Then suddenly, through this chaotic tangle of running people, appear Ernan, Sligh, and Oswin mounted upon their steeds, with yours and Oriah<ch.apos/>s horses in tow. News of what has happened at the slave market has spread like wildfire through the rest of Kilij and, upon hearing these reports, the marines have rushed here as quickly as they could.</p>
2546        <p><quote>Come, Grand Master!</quote> shouts Oswin, and he throws you the rope that is now attached to your steed<ch.apos/>s head. <quote>We must flee this town at once!</quote></p>
2547        <p>You leap onto the folded blanket which is tied to your horse<ch.apos/>s back, take hold of the rope reins in both hands, and dig your heels into his flanks to urge him to the gallop. Two of the slaver<ch.apos/>s henchmen rush to block your escape but they are trampled into the dust as your horse bolts away. You race towards a tree-lined avenue on the south side of the square with your three companions galloping close behind. As you enter this thoroughfare, you see one of the slaver<ch.apos/>s men come darting from out of the crowd. He is armed with a bow, and as you gallop past him, he draws an arrow to his lips and takes careful aim at your head.</p>
2548        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Assimilance, add 3 to the number you have picked. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is 20 or lower, deduct 2 from the number you have picked.</p>
2549        <choice idref="sect238">If your total score is now 2 or lower, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
2550        <choice idref="sect84">If it is 3<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
2551        <choice idref="sect284">If it is 7 or higher, <link-text>turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
2552      </data>
2553     </section>
2554
2555     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2556      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2557
2558      <data>
2559        <p>Captain Raker eagerly devours a hearty breakfast which consists of black bread, cold chicken, and spiced mead. Between mouthfuls he tells you that his orders are to take you to Bisutan after docking at Barrakeesh to pick up Lord-lieutenant Fernant. He believes that you are carrying state documents for Fernant<ch.apos/>s eyes only. He has transported Kai journeymen and messengers before and you are satisfied that he does not suspect the true purpose of your journey.</p>
2560        <p>Raker is looking forward to completing the voyage. In addition to the fee he has pocketed for your passage, he is also carrying a cargo of wheat and timber destined for delivery to a rich Vassagonian merchant in Bisutan. For him this voyage promises to be very profitable indeed. Unfortunately the captain is notoriously tight-fisted when it comes to spending his money. He even expects you to pay for the meal! Before you leave the tavern and return with him to the ship, you must pay the innkeeper for both breakfasts (erase 2 Gold Crowns from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
2561        <choice idref="sect176">To continue, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
2562      </data>
2563     </section>
2564
2565     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2566      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2567
2568      <data>
2569        <p>The moment you set foot into the streets outside the arena you are mobbed by a crowd of excited citizens. To avoid them you are forced to flee into a maze of alleys and eventually you lose them in the town<ch.apos/>s east quarter. Night is fast approaching and you sense that it will be completely dark within the hour. As you walk along a cobbled street towards the town<ch.apos/>s east gate, you glance into the front windows of shops and emporia that are still open for business here despite the lateness of the hour.</p>
2570        <choice idref="sect324">If you wish to enter the Herbalist<ch.apos/>s shop, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
2571        <choice idref="sect151">If you wish to enter the Silversmith<ch.apos/>s shop, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
2572        <choice idref="sect62">If you wish to enter Agemo<ch.apos/>s Emporium, <link-text>turn to 62</link-text>.</choice>
2573        <choice idref="sect17">If you choose to ignore these shops, you may continue walking along this street by <link-text>turning to 17</link-text>.</choice>
2574      </data>
2575     </section>
2576
2577     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2578      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2579
2580      <data>
2581        <p>You stare across the ocean at the banks of angry clouds which are growing larger and darker with every passing minute. You sense that within them are tremendous natural forces that are building up at a dangerous rate. You feel certain that the presence of the Moonstone is partially responsible for this, although these waters are notorious for their sudden and violent sea-storms.</p>
2582        <p>Gradually the temperature drops and the gentle undulation of the waves grows fiercer. The wind becomes a gale and the azure sky grows darker and darker, until the sun is lost from view and the ship is shrouded by a deep grey twilight. Soon lightning is the only source of illumination. It tears the roiling clouds and transforms the sea into an angry beast that lashes and batters the ship with a supernatural fury. Then the darkness is obliterated by a great curtain of white fire. Tongues of flame lance down, boiling the sea where they strike the surface and sending up great clouds of steam in their wake. Miraculously these terrifying bolts of power miss the ship, but soon they are rivalled in their ferocity by another terrifying force that is battling to free itself from this hellish storm.</p>
2583        <p>A hundred balls of dancing fire fall from the clouds like a shower of blazing meteors. One such meteor strikes the helmsman who is struggling with the ship<ch.apos/>s wheel, and it engulfs him. For a few dreadful moments his head and chest are contained within a roaring yellow orb; then the burning ball is caught by the wind and it spins away into the darkness. The crew scream with terror when they look upon their comrade, for his upper body has been transformed into a blackened and fleshless skull that perches precariously upon a hollow, smoking rib cage.</p>
2584
2585        <illustration class="float">
2586         <meta>
2587          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
2588          <description>For a few dreadful moments, the helmsman<ch.apos/>s head and chest are engulfed in a roaring ball of fire.</description>
2589         </meta>
2590         <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="613" mime-type="image/png"/>
2591         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="613" mime-type="image/gif"/>
2592         <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="613" />
2593        </illustration>
2594
2595        <p>Panic grips the Vassagonian sailors. They abandon their posts and rush to seek shelter below decks in the crowded cargo hold. You are trying to rally them when suddenly a ball of flame drops from the raging skies and comes hurtling down towards your head.</p>
2596        <choice idref="sect197">If you possess the Grand Master Discipline of Elementalism, <link-text>turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
2597        <choice idref="sect51">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
2598      </data>
2599     </section>
2600
2601     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2602      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2603
2604      <data>
2605        <p>Oriah urges you not to enter this chamber. She too can sense the evil that lingers here and she fears that it will harm you if you should disturb it. You heed her warning and move away from the entrance to this sinister chamber.</p>
2606        <choice idref="sect344"><link-text>Turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
2607      </data>
2608     </section>
2609
2610     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2611      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2612
2613      <data>
2614        <p>The innkeeper says nothing, he just narrows his eyes and his jaw sets rock-hard. Then the rogue and his shadowy companions sidle their way back to the counter and move to surround you.</p>
2615        <p><quote>You heard him,</quote> says one of the men. <quote>There ain<ch.apos/>t no rooms.</quote></p>
2616        <p><quote>Yeah! That<ch.apos/>s right,</quote> sneers the rogue. <quote>So why don<ch.apos/>t you be gettin<ch.apos/> on your way, friend.</quote> And with this, he whips a dagger from his belt and stabs it into the counter. He glances at his companions and instantly they reach for the hilts of their swords.</p>
2617        <choice idref="sect145">If you decide to leave this tavern, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
2618        <choice idref="sect209">If you wish to protest, <link-text>turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
2619      </data>
2620     </section>
2621
2622     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2623      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2624
2625      <data>
2626        <p>You struggle across the heaving deck and grab hold of the ship<ch.apos/>s spinning helm. Upon gaining control of the wheel you are able to turn the heavy vessel away from the pounding waves. Cold sea and hot flames lash at your body as you fight bravely to steer the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> towards a sliver of sunlight that glows like a beacon of hope beyond this supernatural storm.</p>
2627        <p>After what seems like an eternity, the ship emerges from the grim darkness and sails into a calm sea that is bathed in warm sunlight. Behind you the storm abates as quickly as it arrived and, one by one, the crewmen begin to appear out of the hold. Their tanned faces are pale and they are speechless with shock, yet you can tell by the look in their eyes that they are deeply grateful to have you aboard. Kol appears, shaking and dishevelled, yet he finds the words to express how he and his men feel. He praises your skill and bravery and says that everyone aboard owes you their lives. As a small token of his gratitude he offers you his Sword, his Dagger, and a pouch containing 20 Gold Crowns. (If you wish to keep any of these items, be sure to amend your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.)</p>
2628        <p>All night the <cite>Desert Jewel</cite> plies the warm southern sea, and at dawn you awake on the rear deck and witness a beautiful sight. A shoal of flying fish are running alongside the ship. As they leap and dive into the blue-green waves, their glistening bodies reflect a rainbow of colour when they are struck by the rays of the early morning sun. You breakfast with the crew who, out of respect, insist that you have only the best food that is on board (you may restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. There is also sufficient food left over for 2 Meals).</p>
2629        <choice idref="sect100">To continue, <link-text>turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
2630      </data>
2631     </section>
2632
2633     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2634      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2635
2636      <data>
2637        <p>As you lie on your mattress and stare at the night sky, you call upon your knowledge of Astrology to search for portents among the configuration of stars. You determine the outlines of a serpent and a wide-bladed sword, and you take these images to be a warning of possible treachery and conflict ahead. The images stay in your mind<ch.apos/>s eye until, gradually, you drift into a fitful sleep.</p>
2638        <choice idref="sect327"><link-text>Turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2639      </data>
2640     </section>
2641
2642     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2643      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2644
2645      <data>
2646        <p>Rhous picks up the crown and examines it carefully. You can tell by his frowning expression that he is a little disappointed: he had hoped for something more exceptional than this. After a few moments he offers you 15 Gold Crowns. You haggle with him and finally you settle on a sum of 20 Gold Crowns.</p>
2647        <p>(If, in addition to the Siyen Crown, you also possess any of the other items, Rhous would be willing to pay you 10 Gold Crowns for the Iron Skull, and 30 Gold Crowns for the Kutyan Emerald. Be sure to amend the details on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> before continuing your adventure.)</p>
2648        <choice idref="sect349"><link-text>Turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
2649      </data>
2650     </section>
2651
2652     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2653      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2654
2655      <data>
2656        <p>You are nearing the end of the quay when you are seen by a watchful guardsman who orders you to stop where you are. You ignore his order and continue running, making good your escape from the quayside by means of an alleyway. As you rush towards the end of this narrow passage, the pathway is suddenly blocked by three city guardsmen. Startled by the unexpected sight of a Northlander running straight at them, they draw their swords and get ready to cut you down.</p>
2657        <combat><enemy>City Guards</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">33</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">35</enemy-attribute></combat>
2658        <choice idref="sect334">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 334</link-text>.</choice>
2659      </data>
2660     </section>
2661
2662     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2663      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2664
2665      <data>
2666        <p>You unshoulder your Bow and pull an Arrow from your Quiver as fast as you are able. Hastily you take aim and fire at your would-be assassin as, simultaneously, he releases his arrow and sends it whistling towards your head.</p>
2667        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, remember to add 3 to the number you have picked. If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is currently 15 or lower, deduct 1.</p>
2668        <choice idref="sect320">If your total score is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 320</link-text>.</choice>
2669        <choice idref="sect296">If it is 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 296</link-text>.</choice>
2670      </data>
2671     </section>
2672
2673     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2674      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2675
2676      <data>
2677        <p>The old man apologizes once more for disturbing you. As you close and lock your door, you hear his footfalls growing fainter as he walks away along the corridor.</p>
2678        <p>Before you settle down to sleep, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2679        <choice idref="sect207">To continue, <link-text>turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
2680      </data>
2681     </section>
2682
2683     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2684      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2685
2686      <data>
2687        <p>The hostel-keeper pockets your Crowns (erase these from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) and leads you up a flight of rickety bamboo stairs to a corridor which is hung with gaudy tapestries. He points to the first door on the right and then he bids you goodnight.</p>
2688        <p><quote>What about my key?</quote> you say.</p>
2689        <p>He looks at you and shrugs. <quote>No key,</quote> he says, and then he turns away and shuffles back down the stairs. You push open the door to find a large room with a balcony that offers you a magnificent view of the beach festival.</p>
2690        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2691        <choice idref="sect330">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
2692        <choice idref="sect92">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>.</choice>
2693      </data>
2694     </section>
2695
2696     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2697      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2698
2699      <data>
2700        <p>You unsheathe a hand weapon and struggle across the heaving deck to regain your position at the ship<ch.apos/>s rail. The enemy vessel has rammed <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> and now a host of screaming warriors is swarming aboard your stricken ship. You glance aloft and see the giant spider scurry through the rigging towards the crow<ch.apos/>s nest. The Sommlending lookout shrieks hysterically and, in blind panic, throws himself into the sea to avoid being eaten by the hideous monster. On the deck below you can see Sergeant Dryan and his men are fighting bravely to repel the raiders. Those of Raker<ch.apos/>s crew who have survived the collision hurriedly arm themselves and rush to support the outnumbered marines, but they are not trained fighters and they are no match for this ruthless enemy.</p>
2701        <choice idref="sect21">If you wish to descend to the deck below and fight alongside Sergeant Dryan<ch.apos/>s marines, <link-text>turn to 21</link-text>.</choice>
2702        <choice idref="sect121">If you choose instead to climb the rigging and attack the giant spider that is now perched upon the crow<ch.apos/>s nest, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
2703      </data>
2704     </section>
2705
2706     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2707      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2708
2709      <data>
2710        <p>An hour passes before your turn comes to enter Temujun<ch.apos/>s tent. Awaiting you inside is an old man swathed in a silk robe. He wears a jewel-encrusted collar and a large blue turban that is wrapped impeccably around his frail head. He is seated cross-legged on a mound of pillows and he cradles a sphere of rose-coloured crystal in his lap.</p>
2711        <p>Without once looking up from his crystal sphere he tells you to sit opposite him and place any weapons you may be carrying on the floor beside you. When you comply with his wishes he closes his eyes and begins to concentrate. A few moments later he opens them and stares at your satchel with a look of shocked surprise; you sense at once that he has detected the presence of the Moonstone. The frail old man begins to shake and beads of sweat trickle down his wrinkled face. For a moment his eyes widen and then he faints and falls backwards among his pillows.</p>
2712        <choice idref="sect102">If you wish to attempt to revive the old man, <link-text>turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
2713        <choice idref="sect149">If you choose instead to pick up your Weapons and leave the tent, <link-text>turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
2714      </data>
2715     </section>
2716
2717     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2718      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2719
2720      <data>
2721        <p>You recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Lightning Hand</spell> and cast a bolt of energy at the leader. It strikes the bird<ch.apos/>s wing and breaks the bone, causing the creature to spiral out of control. Yranai cheers but his triumphant cry is premature. You watch aghast as the Itikar collides with the balloon and stabs its talons into the canopy. In its desperation to survive, it shreds the cloth to ribbons before it falls away and plummets to its doom in the timberlands below.</p>
2722        <p>The impact of the bird hitting the canopy knocks you off your feet. Yranai falls on top of you and, for a few nerve-racking seconds, you lie entangled at the bottom of the basket. You can feel the balloon is rapidly losing altitude. When you pull yourself up and peer over the rim of the basket you see the trees of the lower mountain slopes rising towards you at a dizzying speed. Yranai looks up to see shreds of cloth trailing from the punctured canopy above and the sight is too much for him: he faints. Hurriedly you haul his frail body over your shoulder. Then you place one foot on the rim of the basket and get ready to make a desperate leap away from this doomed balloon as the tops of the mountain pines come into view.</p>
2723        <p>With the old magician draped over your shoulder, you leap from the basket and plummet towards the ground. As you fall, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Levitation</spell> and instantly the spell enables you to control the speed of your descent towards the trees below. You see the balloon smash into the timberland and you brace yourself in readiness for the moment when your feet touch the ground.</p>
2724        <p>Unfortunately, when you cast <spell>Levitation</spell> in mid-air, you did not anticipate that the increased weight of Yranai would have any effect on your control of the spell. It is not until you are within twenty feet of the ground that you realize you are coming down too fast. You attempt to compensate but it is too late and you strike the rocky soil with a tremendous jolt that knocks you unconscious.</p>
2725        <choice idref="sect341"><link-text>Turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
2726      </data>
2727     </section>
2728
2729     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2730      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2731
2732      <footnotes>
2733       <footnote id="sect142-1-foot" idref="sect142-1">
2734        <p>It is unclear whether the Candles and Arrows cost 1 Gold Crown each or 1 Gold Crown for a group of three. Considering that a Dagger is on sale for 1 Crown and that a Dagger would generally be worth more than a single Arrow (cf. <a idref="sect151">Section 151</a>), it may be reasonable to assume that you may buy 3 Candles for 1 Gold Crown and 3 Arrows likewise.</p>
2735       </footnote>
2736      </footnotes>
2737
2738      <data>
2739        <p>You awake with the dawn feeling refreshed and eager to begin the day<ch.apos/>s ride south towards the city of Bir Rabalou. During the morning, you and your travelling companions pass several traders and caravans that are heading north to sell their wares in Cape Kabar. Your fair complexions and Sommlending clothes draw many suspicious glances from the caravan drivers, prompting you to stop when you come to a village shortly after midday. Here the marines go looking for some <foreign xml:lang="x-vassagonian">mhaktis</foreign><ch.emdash/>the flowing grey and white robes traditionally worn by the desert dwellers of Vassagonia. While they busy themselves in the hunt for new clothes, you water and feed the horses at the village stables. You are tending to the horses when you are approached by an elderly street vendor. He is pushing a handcart on which he has displayed the following items for sale:</p>
2740        <ul>
2741         <li>Dagger</li>
2742         <li>Scented Oil</li>
2743         <li>3 Candles</li>
2744         <li>Slippers</li>
2745         <li>Copper Cup</li>
2746         <li>Rope</li>
2747         <li>Lantern</li>
2748         <li>Lyre <em>(musical instrument)</em></li>
2749         <li>Ball of Chalk</li>
2750         <li>3 Arrows</li>
2751        </ul>
2752        <p>The vendor<ch.apos/>s items cost 1 Gold Crown each.<footref id="sect142-1" idref="sect142-1-foot"/> If you wish to purchase one or more of them, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2753        <p>After a while the three marines return to the stables. They are now dressed in <foreign xml:lang="x-vassagonian">mhaktis</foreign> and, when they pull up their hoods, you feel sure that they could pass for native Vassagonians. They bundle and tie their marine uniforms to the saddle blankets of their horses, and then the four of you mount up and leave this village. The sun is sinking below the desert horizon when you come to the next village on the road to Bir Rabalou. It is located on the fringe of a wide beach and it can only be reached by a sandy track which branches away from the main coast road. As you reach this junction you notice a group of local people have gathered around something that has washed up on the beach.</p>
2754        <choice idref="sect24">If you wish to leave the main road and go down to the beach, <link-text>turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
2755        <choice idref="sect232">If you choose to ignore this coastal village and continue your ride south, <link-text>turn to 232</link-text>.</choice>
2756      </data>
2757     </section>
2758
2759     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2760      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2761
2762      <footnotes>
2763       <footnote id="sect143-1-foot" idref="sect143-1">
2764        <p>If you have no normal Weapons or fewer than two Backpack Items, you may choose to substitute Special Items at your discretion.</p>
2765       </footnote>
2766      </footnotes>
2767
2768      <data>
2769        <p><quote>Your weapon<ch.ellips/>is made by magic,</quote> he says, with a creaking and gravelly tone. <quote>It is not evil. But it is not magic of the Old Kingdom. You may keep it<ch.ellips/>but you must pay the village a tithe.</quote></p>
2770        <p>You reach to your money pouch but the elder waves the flat of his palm to indicate that he does not want your gold. In return for being permitted to carry your Kai Weapon into his village, he will accept either 2 Backpack Items or 1 (normal) Weapon of your choosing.<footref id="sect143-1" idref="sect143-1-foot"/></p>
2771        <choice idref="sect347">Adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly, and then <link-text>turn to 347</link-text>.</choice>
2772      </data>
2773     </section>
2774
2775     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2776      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2777
2778      <data>
2779        <p>Hurriedly you descend from the rear deck and rush forward to where Sergeant Dryan is directing his men. The leading pirate ship has now closed to within fifty yards and you can see the grim faces of its murderous crew. Dryan<ch.apos/>s marines are busily loading the three swivel cannon which are fixed to the port gunwale. Once loaded, each marine gunner raises his hand to signal that his piece is primed to fire. Dryan is waiting for the third gunner to signal that he is ready, when suddenly there is a thunderous roar and a puff of grey smoke erupts unexpectedly from the prow of the attacking ship.</p>
2780        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2781        <choice idref="sect335">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
2782        <choice idref="sect27">If it is 4<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 27</link-text>.</choice>
2783        <choice idref="sect190">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
2784      </data>
2785     </section>
2786
2787     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2788      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2789
2790      <data>
2791        <p><quote>So much for hospitality,</quote> you quip sarcastically as you walk to the door. A tense silence fills the tavern, and the innkeeper and the crowd watch you go with hatred and fear burning in their eyes. You are only too glad to leave, but when you step outside into the darkening street you discover to your dismay that your horse Jhani has disappeared. Two men appear in the doorway behind you with swords in their hands. You decide it would be futile to ask them if they have seen your horse and so you walk off along the street in search of somewhere a little more friendly to stay this night.</p>
2792        <choice idref="sect295"><link-text>Turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
2793      </data>
2794     </section>
2795
2796     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2797      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2798
2799      <data>
2800        <p>You ride all night along the empty coast road and make good progress. Shortly after dawn you pass a stone signpost pointing to the south. Carved into its surface is the following message written in ancient Vassagonian script: <quote>Bir Rabalou<ch.emdash/>160 miles</quote>.</p>
2801        <p>Beyond this sign the coast road ascends into an expanse of arid hill country which is populated by herds of wild goats. To the east you occasionally glimpse the ocean beyond the barren hills, while to the west you can see a range of distant mountains, their snowy peaks glistening stark-white beneath the fierce desert sun. Shortly before noon you happen upon the town of Kilij which lies in a narrow pass between two steep hillsides. Oriah and the marines are tired and sore after the long night<ch.apos/>s ride and they urge you to stop here so that they might eat and rest awhile. Together you ride into the town<ch.apos/>s busy market square and dismount at a stone water trough where you allow your horses to drink their fill. Around you the mood of the townspeople is friendly as they barter and trade their wares. A young boy offers to look after your horses while you visit the market. Initially you are suspicious of his motives until your Sixth Sense confirms that he is an honest lad, and one worthy of your trust. Oriah gives him a Gold Crown and his face beams with joy<ch.emdash/>he<ch.apos/>ll be able to eat well this week!</p>
2802        <p>The marines want to explore the market<ch.apos/>s bazaar in the hope of finding some blankets and rope with which they can improvise saddles and reins for the horses. Oriah is intrigued by the sheer number of people who fill Kilij<ch.apos/>s market square and she wants to find out what has drawn such a large crowd to this remote town. You too are curious and you agree to accompany her. After arranging to meet the marines at the horse trough in one hour<ch.apos/>s time, you follow Oriah as she pushes her way through the teeming crowd. When finally you reach the centre of the marketplace you are confronted by an unexpected and shocking sight.</p>
2803        <choice idref="sect31"><link-text>Turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
2804      </data>
2805     </section>
2806
2807     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2808      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2809
2810      <data>
2811        <p>You use the elemental power of your Discipline to whip up the damp earth and bombard the creature with a shower of rock and soil. She shrieks as the sharp shards of granite cut her face and paws, and for a few moments she falters. But she does not abandon her attack. Quickly you raise your weapon in readiness to defend yourself as she presses home her assault.</p>
2812        <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2813      </data>
2814     </section>
2815
2816     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2817      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2818
2819      <data>
2820        <p>You make a hurried departure from Khor and pitch camp for the night on a beach three miles south of the town. Before you settle down to sleep, you and your companions try to determine how far away you are from Bisutan. With the aid of your map and your knowledge of the stars, you proclaim confidently that the city is only two days<ch.apos/> ride away.</p>
2821        <p>The next day you set off before dawn and you make good progress on the coast road. At sunset you set up camp in a grove of lemon trees, where you enjoy the fruits of this orchard with your evening meal of freshly caught sea bass. You sleep well this night, but early the following morning you wake up to an unwelcome surprise.</p>
2822        <choice idref="sect323"><link-text>Turn to 323</link-text>.</choice>
2823      </data>
2824     </section>
2825
2826     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2827      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2828
2829      <data>
2830        <p>As you pull open the tent flap you see that Temujun<ch.apos/>s young assistant is standing immediately outside. He peers around you and sees his master lying unconscious among his pillows.</p>
2831        <p><quote>A thousand apologies, sire,</quote> he says, nervously wringing his hands. <quote>My master is an old man and he gets tired. Please, do not be offended. He often falls asleep during a consultation. Here, you may have your money back<ch.ellips/></quote> And with this, he takes 2 Gold Crowns from his purse and presses them into your hand (restore these 2 Gold Crowns to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
2832        <p>The waiting queue groan with disappointment when the young boy tells them there will be no further consultations with his master tonight. As he returns their money, you walk down to the edge of the oasis to bathe your face and drink the warm, fresh water. The yellow flames of the campfire are glimmering on its surface and you pause to consider joining the travellers who are seated nearby, enjoying the show.</p>
2833        <choice idref="sect40">If you decide to go to the campfire, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
2834        <choice idref="sect290">If you choose instead to retire to the empty carriage and get some sleep, <link-text>turn instead to 290</link-text>.</choice>
2835      </data>
2836     </section>
2837
2838     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2839      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2840
2841      <data>
2842        <p>Fernant<ch.apos/>s servant returns to the room with a beautiful young woman by his side. She is dressed in the simple brown robes of a peasant girl, yet her long black tresses and smooth olive complexion indicate that she is of high-born ancestry. For a moment she holds you with her deep brown eyes and you sense at once that she is as intelligent as she is beautiful.</p>
2843        <p><quote>This is Oriah,</quote> says Fernant, rising from his seat. <quote>Welcome, my dear. You are among friends here.</quote> The young woman offers him her elegant hand and he kisses it lightly before turning to face you. <quote>I have promised her safe passage to Bisutan aboard <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>. I trust you do not object?</quote> he says.</p>
2844
2845        <illustration class="float">
2846         <meta>
2847          <creator>Trevor Newton</creator>
2848          <description>Oriah holds you with her deep brown eyes, and you sense at once that she is as intelligent as she is beautiful.</description>
2849         </meta>
2850         <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="641" mime-type="image/png"/>
2851         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="641" mime-type="image/gif"/>
2852         <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="641" />
2853        </illustration>
2854
2855        <p>At first you are wary of permitting a stranger to join the ship. She is a very attractive young woman, and her company would certainly be appreciated during the long voyage south, but the agents of Naar have been known to adopt many guises to further their evil aims. Fernant, sensing your reticence, attempts to persuade you by explaining the predicament in which Oriah has been placed through no fault of her own.</p>
2856        <p>You learn that Oriah is the daughter of Khazullo<ch.emdash/>the Funtal of Fio Fadali<ch.emdash/>a rich, powerful, and very ruthless man. He has pledged his daughter<ch.apos/>s hand in marriage to Sesketera, the ruler of the city-state of Ghol-Tabras in northern Shadaki. Sesketera is a cruel and brutal suitor, and Oriah will be sure to spend the rest of her life as little more than his slave if the marriage takes place as her father has planned. Her father is deaf to her wishes; his only concern is for the political union of the two cities. His daughter<ch.apos/>s happiness means nothing to him when compared to the riches and power he will gain from a marriage to the House of Sesketera.</p>
2857        <p>Oriah has run away from her father<ch.apos/>s palace in Fio Fadali and she has sought refuge in Barrakeesh. But agents in the employ of her father and Sesketera have traced her to the capital and now she must flee once more. Fernant, moved by the plight of this brave young woman, has pledged to help her reach Bisutan where trusted friends will smuggle her to safety in neighbouring Kakush.</p>
2858        <p>Having heard her story and satisfied yourself that she poses no threat to your mission, you agree to allow her to travel with you to Bisutan aboard <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite>. Oriah and Fernant thank you for your compassion, and the Lord-lieutenant suggests that perhaps it is time to retire for the night. He has his servant take Oriah to an adjoining chamber, and he offers you the use of a room upstairs. It is a very warm and humid night and you decide that perhaps it would be more comfortable if you were to sleep outside on the roof. Fernant has his servant bring you a mattress upon which you settle down to sleep under the desert stars.</p>
2859        <choice idref="sect133">If you possess the Discipline of Astrology, <link-text>turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
2860        <choice idref="sect327">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2861      </data>
2862     </section>
2863
2864     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2865      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2866
2867      <data>
2868        <p>As you step into this shop you are hit by a heady cocktail of powerful smells: metal polish, corrosive acid, and rust. You cough to clear your throat of the sickly taste left by these evil-smelling aromas, and suddenly the owner appears in a doorway at the back of the shop. He thinks that you are trying to attract his attention.</p>
2869        <p>He notes that you are a warrior and he lifts the lid on a large display counter so that you may inspect his weaponry. Each one is inlaid with finest silver and bears a neatly written price tag:</p>
2870        <ul>
2871         <li>Broadsword<ch.emdash/>8 Gold Crowns</li>
2872         <li>Warhammer<ch.emdash/>7 Gold Crowns</li>
2873         <li>Dagger<ch.emdash/>3 Gold Crowns</li>
2874         <li>Axe<ch.emdash/>8 Gold Crowns</li>
2875         <li>Short Sword<ch.emdash/>4 Gold Crowns</li>
2876         <li>Arrows<ch.emdash/>1 Gold Crown (each)</li>
2877        </ul>
2878        <p>If you wish to purchase one or more of the above Weapons, adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2879        <choice idref="sect17">To leave the shop, <link-text>turn to 17</link-text>.</choice>
2880      </data>
2881     </section>
2882
2883     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2884      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2885
2886      <data>
2887        <p>As you climb through the foothills and leave behind the coastal plain, so the oppressive heat of the desert sun gradually cools as you go higher. Thankfully the hill road is in a good state of repair and you are able to relax and enjoy the magnificent scenery as you travel towards the Koneshi Mountains. It is early in the evening when you come to a stone bridge which passes over a steep-sided gorge. On the far side of the bridge you can see a tollbooth, an inn, and a few stone hovels which comprise a tiny mountain village. With daylight fading fast you decide to cross the gorge and spend the night at the inn. You are halfway across the bridge when a muscular young man, dressed in a scarlet <foreign xml:lang="x-vassagonian">mhaktis</foreign> and clutching a ceremonial sword, emerges from the tollbooth and signals for you to halt. He tells you that if you wish to cross the bridge and spend the night at the mountain inn, the price will be 20 Gold Crowns.</p>
2888        <choice idref="sect37">If you wish to pay this price, amend your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly, and <link-text>turn to 37</link-text>.</choice>
2889        <choice idref="sect338">If you do not have sufficient Gold Crowns, or if you simply refuse to pay this sum, <link-text>turn instead to 338</link-text>.</choice>
2890      </data>
2891     </section>
2892
2893     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2894      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2895
2896      <data>
2897        <p>You use your Discipline to will the spider to return to its nest. The arachnid obeys your mental command and scurries away to disappear through a crack in the uneven bamboo floor. Your close encounter with this potentially deadly spider plays on your mind and you find it impossible to go back to sleep (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points due to fatigue).</p>
2898        <p>At first light you gather together your equipment and go down to the paddock to collect your horse. The hostel-keeper calls you from the kitchen window and holds up a large plate of food that is your breakfast. The memory of the zuath crawling up your leg invades your mind and the thought robs you of your appetite. You wave the man farewell and then mount your horse and ride away across the courtyard.</p>
2899        <choice idref="sect314"><link-text>Turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
2900      </data>
2901     </section>
2902
2903     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2904      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2905
2906      <data>
2907        <p>Your Arrow misses its intended mark. The steel tip grazes the creature<ch.apos/>s belly as it leaps into the air, yet the wound is superficial and it does not stop the beast from hurling itself successfully towards your ship.</p>
2908        <p>You are about to reload your Bow and fire again when suddenly there is a tremendous crash. <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> lurches violently and you are thrown backwards across the deck.</p>
2909        <choice idref="sect274"><link-text>Turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2910      </data>
2911     </section>
2912
2913     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2914      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2915
2916      <data>
2917        <p>As you turn to leave the lodging house, you are approached by a rakish young man. He has been listening to your brief conversation with the owner and he says he is concerned for your welfare. He warns you that the city is a dangerous place at night and he offers to buy any items that you may want to sell in order to raise some money.</p>
2918        <p>This man will pay you 10 Gold Crowns for any Special Item (excluding the Moonstone which is not for sale), 3 Gold Crowns for any Weapon, and 1 Gold Crown for any Backpack Item. If you wish to raise money by selling any items of equipment to this man, adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2919        <choice idref="sect291">If you now possess 3 Gold Crowns or more, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
2920        <choice idref="sect214">If you now possess 2 Gold Crowns or less, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
2921      </data>
2922     </section>
2923
2924     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2925      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2926
2927      <data>
2928        <p>The road becomes increasingly tortuous as it traverses the central reaches of the Koneshi Mountains. Long winding climbs around precipitous cliffs are followed by steep descents into wooded ravines which test your nerve and your horsemanship to the full. Among the trunks of the blond Vassagonian mountain pines which border this route you glimpse the feral eyes&nbs