Fix 02smr so that the small illustration numbers match correctly! Also, updated the...
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 02smr.xml
1 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
2  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
3  %general.links;
4  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
5  %xhtml.links;
6
7  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
8  %general.inclusions;
9 ]>
10
11 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
12
13 <meta>
14  <title>Slaughter Mountain Run</title>
15   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
16   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Williams, Brian">Brian Williams</creator>
17   <creator class="short">Joe Dever</creator>
18   <creator class="medium">
19    <line>Joe Dever</line>
20    <line>Illustrated by Brian Williams</line>
21   </creator>
22   <creator class="long">
23    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.fw;
24    &inclusion.brian.williams.bio.fw;
25   </creator>
26   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
27   <date class="publication"><year>2010</year><month>11</month><day>12</day></date>
28   <description class="blurb">
29    <p>You are Cal Phoenix, the Freeway Warrior, champion and protector of Dallas Colony One. From the sanctuary of Big Spring your convoy of survivors begins the next stage of its life-or-death exodus: a journey to the fortified border town of El Paso, a destination that lies hundreds of miles beyond the sun-scorched wasteland of West Texas. In <strong><cite>Slaughter Mountain Run</cite></strong>, your mission is to rescue Kate Norton from the clutches of your arch enemy<ch.emdash/>the HAVOC leader Mad Dog Michigan. You have just seven days to free her and to rendezvous with the colony before it runs the gauntlet of fire that protects the only mountain road to El Paso.</p>
30   </description>
31   <description class="publication">
32    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
33   </description>
34   <rights class="copyrights">
35    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Joe Dever.</line>
36    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Brian Williams.</line>
37   </rights>
38   <rights class="license-notification">
39    <p>
40     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Joe Dever.</line>
41     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1988 Brian Williams.</line>
42     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
43    </p>
44   </rights>
45 </meta>
46
47 <section id="toc">
48  <meta />
49  <data />
50 </section>
51
52 <section id="title">
53  <meta>
54   <title>Title Page</title>
55   <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
56  </meta>
57
58  <data>
59
60   <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
61    <meta>
62     <title>Dedication</title>
63     <link class="prev" idref="title" />
64     <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
65    </meta>
66
67    <data>
68     <p class="dedication">For Mick, Michelle, and Ryan</p>
69    </data>
70   </section>
71
72   <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
73    <meta>
74     <title>Acknowledgements</title>
75     <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
76     <link class="next" idref="dtd" />
77    </meta>
78
79    <data>
80
81      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
82
83     <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
84      <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
85
86      <data>
87       <dl>
88        <dt>Transcription</dt>
89         <dd>Mohamed Sha<ch.apos/>Aidil</dd>
90        <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
91          <dd></dd>
92        <dt>XML</dt>
93         <dd>
94          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
95          <line>Iain Smith</line>
96         </dd>
97        <dt>Proofreading</dt>
98         <dd>
99          <line>Mohamed Sha<ch.apos/>Aidil</line>
100          <line>Iain Smith</line>
101         </dd>
102        <dt>Editing</dt>
103          <dd>
104           <line>Benjamin Krefetz</line>
105           <line>Neil McGrory</line>
106           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
107           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
108           <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
109           <line>Iain Smith</line>
110          </dd>
111         <!-- <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
112          <dd></dd> -->
113        <dt>Coordination</dt>
114         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
115        <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
116          <dd>Jeff Dougan, James Durrant</dd>
117       </dl>
118      </data>
119     </section>
120    </data>
121   </section>
122
123   <section class="frontmatter" id="dtd">
124    <meta>
125     <title>Dateline to Disaster</title>
126     <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
127     <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
128    </meta>
129
130    <data>
131     <p><line><strong>1990<ch.endash/>1998</strong></line>
132     <line>Rise of global terrorism on an unprecedented scale. Political violence funded by organized crime syndicate called HAVOC<ch.emdash/>The Hijack, Assassination, and Violent Opposition Consortium.</line></p>
133     <p><line><strong>1998<ch.endash/>2003</strong></line>
134     <line>The governments of many small and impoverished nations fall into the hands of HAVOC. International terrorists receive arms, training, and shelter in these <quote>Badlands</quote>.</line></p>
135     <p><line><strong>2003<ch.endash/>2008</strong></line>
136     <line>Raids on oil and gas installations, assassinations, and the kidnapping of prominent world statesmen become commonplace as HAVOC attempts to terrorize the civilized world into submission. Despite public outrage and growing international tension, the major powers steadfastly refuse to give in to HAVOC<ch.apos/>s demands.</line></p>
137     <p><line><strong>2008</strong></line>
138     <line>President of the United States and General Secretary of Supreme Soviet both assassinated at emergency summit meeting. US, USSR, and major European nations create the World Defence League and declare war on HAVOC. The Badlands are invaded, key HAVOC bases destroyed, and thousands of HAVOC agents are captured.</line></p>
139     <p><line><strong>2009</strong></line>
140     <line>HAVOC leaders imprisoned for life in <quote>Deep Pens</quote><ch.emdash/>maximum security gaols located deep underground<ch.emdash/>to prevent their escape or release by HAVOC agents still at large.</line></p>
141     <p><line><strong>2010</strong></line>
142     <line>New leadership emerges to unify the scattered remnants of HAVOC and plan revenge.</line></p>
143     <p><line><strong>2011</strong></line>
144     <line>A WDL train transporting seventeen 100-kiloton nuclear warheads, slated to be neutralized and dismantled, is attacked by HAVOC agents. The train is destroyed and its deadly cargo stolen.</line></p>
145     <p><line><strong>2012 New Year<ch.apos/>s Day</strong></line>
146     <line>HAVOC hijacks a WDL news satellite and broadcasts a chilling ultimatum. They have planted the seventeen stolen warheads in major cities throughout the US, USSR, and Europe. They call for the immediate release of all HAVOC agents held in Deep Pens, plus the payment of $2 trillion in gold bullion, or they will trigger the warheads one by one until their demands are met in full. A twenty-four hour deadline is set. WDL leaders declare an emergency and request that the deadline be extended. HAVOC refuses.</line></p>
147     <p><line><strong>2nd January</strong></line>
148     <line>First warhead detonated at Brie Nuclear Energy Plant, ten miles south of Paris, France. Blast and radioactive fallout claim millions of lives. HAVOC repeats its demand and extends deadline by twenty-four hours.</line></p>
149     <p><line><strong>3rd January <quote>The Day</quote></strong></line>
150     <line>World Defence League agents discover location of HAVOC command headquarters on an island in the South Pacific Ocean. Immediately orders are given to infiltrate and destroy the HQ and its occupants. The assault is swift and decisive; the complex is quickly overrun and its inhabitants are killed. Yet, ironically, as the news of this victory is being relayed around the world, HAVOC enacts its ultimate revenge. A transmitter hidden on the island, fitted with a time-delay mechanism, clicks on, sending its high-frequency radio signal to a communications satellite orbiting the earth. This signal is amplified and returned to earth where, simultaneously, it triggers the remaining nuclear warheads. The initial explosions set off a disastrous chain reaction that feeds on civil and military nuclear installations all across the northern hemisphere. Hundreds of millions of people are killed within days, and many more perish during the years that follow, falling victim to the lingering radioactivity and the severe climatic changes that affect the earth.</line></p>
151     <p><line><strong>2012<ch.endash/>2019</strong></line>
152     <line>Gale force winds sweep across the world, carrying enormous amounts of dust into the upper atmosphere and preventing much sunlight from reaching the earth<ch.apos/>s surface. Temperatures plummet, deterring survivors from remaining above ground. Communications are disrupted by gamma radiation, making all radio, cable, and satellite contact impossible. Small colonies of survivors develop in total isolation from one another during these years of darkness.</line></p>
153     <p><line><strong>2019<ch.endash/>2020</strong></line>
154     <line>Gradually, the dust storms die down and the sun penetrates the atmosphere, thawing the earth<ch.apos/>s frozen surface. Radiation has decayed to tolerable levels, and survivors emerge to reclaim what little remains of the world they once knew.</line></p>
155    </data>
156   </section>
157
158   <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
159    <meta>
160     <title>The Story So Far</title>
161     <link class="prev" idref="dtd" />
162     <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
163    </meta>
164
165    <data>
166     <p>You are Cal Phoenix, a survivor, born in California on Thanksgiving Day in the year AD 2000. In 2012, whilst on winter vacation at your Uncle Jonas<ch.apos/> and Aunt Betty-Ann<ch.apos/>s ranch in Texas, you were invited to visit a shale-oil mine near Austin, the first of its kind in Texas. As Chief of Construction, your uncle was proud to take you on a guided tour of the whole underground complex, which, for security reasons, was totally self-supporting. It was during this tour on 3 January 2012 that the unthinkable happened.</p>
167     <p>You remember how the ground shuddered when the shock waves from the first distant explosions reached the mine. Immediately you assumed it was the start of an earthquake, which you had experienced many times at home in California. However, as the levels nearest the surface began to collapse and the central elevator shaft filled with rubble, you realized the awful truth: the holocaust. At first there was no way of telling the extent of the surface devastation. Below ground, the safety generators had switched into operation automatically when the main power supply failed, and the tremors had faded quickly, which encouraged your aunt and uncle to believe that the damage above was superficial. Uncle Jonas was confident that the military would mount a rescue operation and that you would be brought out within a few days, a week at the most. Aunt Betty-Ann, too, was optimistic. After all, there were emergency supplies<ch.emdash/>enough to feed 200 men for a whole month. Little did she know that the three of you would end up consuming all those supplies, or that the mine would become your home, your shelter, and your prison for the next eight years of your lives.</p>
168     <p>It was early September in the year 2019 when eventually you broke through to the surface. When first you set eyes on the landscape surrounding the mine, it was like looking at the surface of another planet. Few structures had survived the blizzards and intense cold that had swept around the world in the years following <quote>The Day</quote>, and now, after the dust had settled and the sun had returned, the once-fertile plains of Austin resembled little more than a desert of parched and broken rock, littered with the artefacts of an absent civilization.</p>
169     <p>During the first few days, when you set out to explore this wilderness, it was easy to believe that you were the only survivors. But on the morning of the fifth day Uncle Jonas made chance radio contact with a family called Ewell who were living near the ruins of McKinney, thirty miles north of Dallas. They told him that they had been in touch with a handful of other groups who had managed somehow to survive the holocaust. Most were isolated and unable to move due to lack of fuel, food, or water. They had urged those who could travel to join them in McKinney to start a new community there, and some people were already on their way. When your uncle and aunt accepted their invitation, the Ewells were enthusiastic, but they also warned you to be wary<ch.emdash/>not everyone who had survived wanted to establish a new community. The ruins of some large Texan cities, such as Dallas and Fort Worth, were controlled by gangs of criminals who fought with each other and terrorized anyone seeking to reestablish law and order. They urged you to avoid these gangs at all costs.</p>
170     <p>It took more than a week to discover a vehicle that could transport you to McKinney. It was an old school bus, one that had been parked in an underground lot and had survived the years of sub-zero blizzards. With fuel and spares salvaged from the mine, you managed to coax it back to life, and then set off on your journey north.</p>
171     <p>When you arrived at the town, it was easy to find where the Ewells lived<ch.emdash/>their ranch was the only place that was still standing. It looked more like an old frontier post than a ranch, with its fortified perimeter wall, lookout posts, and stake-filled moat. However, after being ambushed and shot at by the city gangs of Fort Worth during the final stages of your journey, you fully appreciated the need for these defences.</p>
172     <p><quote>Pop</quote> Ewell, the seventy-year-old grandfather of the Ewell family, was the leader of this small colony of survivors, and it was he who had urged Uncle Jonas to join them when they had first made radio contact. The colony numbered less than a dozen at the time of your arrival, yet, as the airwaves became clearer and new contacts were made, soon this number had more than doubled to twenty-five. It was decided that a name was needed to identify the settlement. The name <quote>Dallas Colony One</quote> was adopted, known as <quote>DC1</quote> for short. From that day on, everyone worked hard to make DC1 a secure haven for those seeking refuge from the hostile wastelands and marauding city gangs.</p>
173     <p><quote>Cutter</quote> Jacks was one such refugee. Before <quote>The Day</quote> he had been chief mechanic at the International Grand Prix Circuit near Lake Dallas, and his incredible skill with, and knowledge of, engines was soon to prove invaluable to the colony. He taught you how to drive, and from a pile of old wrecks that you helped him salvage from the circuit, he built you a powerful, customized car. You used it to patrol the highways north of the city, keeping a lookout for gangs of city punks who frequently mounted raids to steal or destroy DC1<ch.apos/>s supplies. Cutter also taught you to shoot. It was your natural prowess with a gun, and your skill behind the wheel, that was to earn you the begrudging respect of your enemies, who took to calling you the <quote>Freeway Warrior</quote>.</p>
174
175        <illustration class="inline">
176         <meta>
177          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
178         </meta>
179         <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
180         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
181         <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
182        </illustration>
183
184     <p>Six months after you arrived at DC1, the colony was faced with a major crisis. A heat wave was causing a drought that threatened to destroy the food supply. Crops were failing and the colony<ch.apos/>s artesian well, its only source of uncontaminated water, was beginning to dry up. The drought was also provoking more attacks from the city punks, who were desperate for food and water. Their common need had united them and now they posed a very real threat to the security of DC1.</p>
185     <p>It was the last day of May, 2020, when Pop Ewell made radio contact with another colony who were based in the city of Big Spring, 300 miles west of McKinney. Their situation was completely the reverse of DC1<ch.apos/>s: they had food and water in plentiful supply but they were desperately short of fuel. They told of their contact with survivors in Tucson, Arizona, who were also without fuel. The Tucson colony reported that the territories west of the mountains of the Sierra Nevada had been spared the worst effects of the radioactive blizzards that had devastated the rest of the country and, miraculously, much of southern California was still widely populated. In fact, it had survived the last eight years virtually intact. When you heard the news you could hardly believe your ears. Perhaps your family was still alive. After all that had happened, there was now a real hope that one day you might be reunited with them.</p>
186     <p>A meeting was held to decide how best to deal with the crisis facing DC1. Everyone agreed that to stay at McKinney would lead eventually to death, either slowly from starvation or suddenly at the hands of the murderous city gangs. The only choice open to DC1 was to try to reach California; only there lay real hope for the future of the colony. The decision was relayed to the survivors at Big Spring and a deal was struck to rendezvous with them as soon as possible. DC1 would refuel them in exchange for food and water, and together they would join up with the Tucson colony for the final stage of the journey to California.</p>
187     <p>Careful preparations were made for the long trek, and three vehicles were chosen to make up the convoy: the school bus, your customized roadster, and a gasolene tanker laden with 5000 gallons of petroleum siphoned from underground storage tanks at the Ewell ranch. Supplies of food and water were adequate but the colony lacked sufficient firearms and ammunition with which to defend itself. So, on the day before the convoy was due to leave, one of the colonists was sent north to search the town of Sherman for weapons. He radioed back to say that he had found a cache of hunting rifles and ammunition, but that his truck had broken down and he was stranded in the town. He had also found a survivor<ch.emdash/>a beautiful teenage girl<ch.emdash/>and he requested that you be sent to Sherman to pick them up. As soon as you arrived you were ambushed by the scouts of a brutal gang of bikers known as the Detroit Lions and, in the ensuing gun battle, you killed Stinger<ch.emdash/>the scouts<ch.apos/> leader.</p>
188     <p>Later, you learned that the girl, Kate Norton, was the sole survivor of a Kansas City colony, which had been attacked and wiped out by the Detroit Lions. The Lions<ch.apos/> leader, who calls himself <quote>Mad Dog Michigan</quote>, had taken a liking to her and spared her life. Mad Dog had once been a high-ranking HAVOC agent. He had escaped from Pontiac Deep Pen near Detroit, and he and his gang, most of whom were also HAVOC escapees, were heading for the Fort Hood Military Reserve near Killeen, Texas, the largest armoury in the whole of the United States. There he hoped to find enough weapons to equip the other HAVOC clans who were now in control of cities all along the eastern seaboard. Kate had managed to steal a motorcycle and escape from their camp, but Mad Dog had been determined to get her back. He sent his brother<ch.emdash/>Stinger<ch.emdash/>and a handful of his best scouts to track her down. They had finally caught up with her at Sherman.</p>
189     <p>When Mad Dog learned that you had killed his brother, he vowed to get even with you at any price. He abandoned his plans to loot Fort Hood and embarked instead on a relentless pursuit of your colony as it crossed the sun-scorched wastelands of central Texas. The journey to Big Spring was fraught with great danger. Yet, in spite of the many perils you faced, or perhaps because of them, you felt yourself falling in love with Kate and you sensed that she, too, was becoming increasingly fond of you.</p>
190     <p>Sadly, the convoy was only a few miles from Big Spring when disaster struck. The land surrounding the settlement was controlled by a gang of bikers, a renegade clan called the <quote>Mavericks</quote> who had been the bane of the Big Spring colony for many months. As the convoy drew nearer to its destination, the Mavericks launched an attack, and, in the running battle that ensued, they captured and abducted Kate. The convoy entered the fortified gates of Big Spring to a rapturous welcome from the colonists of that settlement, but for you the mood of celebration was soured by the vivid memory of Kate<ch.apos/>s abduction. You vowed to rescue her, and, from that moment on, every waking minute of every day at Big Spring was spent thinking about little else.</p>
191     <p>By chance it transpired that the leader of the Mavericks, a blond-haired murderer called Amex Gold, was a former HAVOC agent who had served under Mad Dog Michigan before <quote>The Day</quote>. He offered to join forces with the Lions, and, as a token of his loyalty to his former commander, he returned Kate to him. Together, the Lions and the Mavericks launched a hasty attack on Big Spring. However, although they outnumbered the colony by more than three to one, they were unable to breach the settlement<ch.apos/>s fortified perimeter wall, and were repelled with heavy losses.</p>
192     <p>On the day after the attack, Pop Ewell discovered the radio frequency that the clansmen were using and was able to eavesdrop on their communications. He learned that Mad Dog had ordered another HAVOC clan, based in New Orleans, to come and reinforce his command; they were expected to arrive within the week. He also overheard Mad Dog arrange a meeting with Mekong Mike, the leader of the Angelinos, a gang that controlled the city of San Angelo. He wanted him as an ally and was prepared to offer guns and ammunition in return for his help in destroying the Big Spring colony.</p>
193     <p>Two days later, Mad Dog Michigan set off for San Angelo at the head of a motorcycle pack 200 riders strong. Those few clansmen who remained with Amex Gold tried myriad tricks to convince the colony that the Mavericks and the Lions still surrounded Big Spring in strength, but to no avail. The senior members of the newly-enlarged colony convened a meeting at which it was decided that, with the clansmen now at their weakest, and with the appearance of the New Orleans gang expected at any time, a breakout had to be attempted without delay.</p>
194     <p>There is only one way for the colony to reach Tucson overland and that is to follow the remains of Interstate Freeway 10 through the arid, mountainous territory of western Texas. Precisely halfway between Big Spring and Tucson is situated the city of El Paso, which is chosen as the colony<ch.apos/>s first destination. The city lies at the end of a long, steep, and tortuous stretch of mountain highway, and few doubt that the journey to El Paso will prove the most exacting test of strength and endurance any of you are ever likely to face during your long journey to California.</p>
195
196    </data>
197   </section>
198
199   <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
200    <meta>
201     <title>The Game Rules</title>
202     <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
203     <link class="next" idref="sskills" />
204    </meta>
205
206    <data>
207     <p>Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your personal characteristics and the weapons and provisions with which you are equipped. An <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> has been supplied on which to record and amend these details as the adventure unfolds.</p>
208     <p>Your personal characteristics comprise two basic attributes: <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. To discover your initial <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>, take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick a 0 it counts as zero. Add 10 to the number you have picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your Action Chart (for example, if your pencil falls on the number 5 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, you have a <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> total of 15). When you fight an enemy in hand-to-hand combat, your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be measured against that of your enemy, so a high score in this section is desirable.</p>
209     <p>To discover your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level, repeat the process, but this time add 20 to the number you have picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. Write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (for example, if your pencil falls on the number 8 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, you have a total <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score of 28). If you are wounded in combat, or injured at any other time during your adventure, you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If, at any time, your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total falls to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. You can regain lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during the course of the adventure, but your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level can never rise above your initial score.</p>
210
211     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="sskills">
212      <meta>
213       <title>Survival Skills</title>
214       <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
215       <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
216      </meta>
217
218      <data>
219
220       <p>Ever since the day you returned to the surface, you have endeavoured to develop your skills and natural instincts fully in order to best defend yourself and your colony.</p>
221       <p>Listed on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> are your five basic Survival Skills:</p>
222
223       <section class="frontmatter" id="driving">
224        <meta><title>Driving</title></meta>
225
226        <data>
227         <p>Your ability to control powered vehicles, such as cars, motorcycles, and trucks.</p>
228        </data>
229       </section>
230
231       <section class="frontmatter" id="shooting">
232        <meta><title>Shooting</title></meta>
233
234        <data>
235         <p>Your familiarity and experience in the use of missile weapons, such as pistols, machine pistols, shotguns, and rifles.</p>
236        </data>
237       </section>
238
239       <section class="frontmatter" id="fldcraft">
240        <meta><title>Field craft</title></meta>
241
242        <data>
243         <p>Your knowledge and experience of all aspects of outdoor survival.</p>
244        </data>
245       </section>
246
247       <section class="frontmatter" id="stealth">
248        <meta><title>Stealth</title></meta>
249
250        <data>
251         <p>Your physical fitness, the speed of your reflexes, and your dexterity.</p>
252        </data>
253       </section>
254
255       <section class="frontmatter" id="perceptn">
256        <meta><title>Perception</title></meta>
257
258        <data>
259         <p>Your intelligence, your ability to evaluate information, your education, and your mental alertness.</p>
260        </data>
261       </section>
262
263       <p>Your ability in each of these five individual skills is measured in skill points. You begin with 3 points per skill. Before starting the adventure, you may allocate an additional 4 skill points to your list of five Survival Skills. These 4 extra points can be used to improve one or more of your five skills. During your adventure, all five skills will be severely tested; therefore the higher the individual skill level, the better your chances of survival. You may allocate your 4 additional points entirely how you like.</p>
264       <p>When you have decided where to allocate your 4 additional skill points, make a note of the totals in the Survival Skills section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
265       <p>(If this is your first <cite>Freeway Warrior</cite> adventure, your total number of skill points should be 19: five skills x 3 points each = 15, plus 4 additional skill points = 19 points.)</p>
266       <p>If you complete successfully the mission set in Book 2 of the Freeway Warrior series, you may add an additional 4 points to your Survival Skills in Book 3. These additional points, together with any equipment and provisions that you possess at the end of Book 2, may then be used in the next <cite>Freeway Warrior</cite> adventure, which is called <bookref series="fw" book="03toz"><cite>The Omega Zone</cite></bookref>.</p>
267      </data>
268     </section>
269
270     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
271      <meta>
272       <title>Equipment</title>
273       <link class="prev" idref="sskills" />
274       <link class="next" idref="weapons" />
275      </meta>
276
277      <data>
278       <p>Apart from your clothing, a number of useful items form your basic equipment. This comprises a Backpack and a belt on which hang your Ammo Pouch, Medi-kit, Water Canteen, and Hunting Knife. In addition to these items, you possess a <a idref="map">Map of Western Texas</a>, which you carry tucked inside your leather jacket.</p>
279
280       <section class="frontmatter" id="backpack">
281        <meta><title>Backpack</title></meta>
282        <data>
283         <p>Up to ten separate items may be stored and carried in your Backpack at any time. However, if more than three items are carried, your Stealth level will be reduced by 1 point. If more than six items are carried, your Stealth level will be reduced by 2 points; and if you carry a full Backpack (containing ten items), your Stealth level will be reduced by 3 points.</p>
284         <p>In order to equip yourself for the task ahead, you may choose up to four items from the following list:</p>
285         <ul>
286          <li><typ class="item">Solar Torch</typ></li>
287          <li><typ class="item">HE (High Explosive) Grenade</typ></li>
288          <li><typ class="item">Binoculars</typ></li>
289          <li><typ class="item">Compass</typ></li>
290          <li><typ class="item">CB Radio</typ></li>
291          <li><typ class="item">Rope</typ></li>
292          <li><typ class="item">3 Meals</typ> (each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack)</li>
293          <li><typ class="item">Flexible Saw</typ></li>
294          <li><typ class="item">Signal Flare</typ></li>
295         </ul>
296         <p>List the items you have chosen on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. If you have picked four items, adjust your current Stealth level accordingly.</p>
297         <p>Opportunities may arise during your adventure for you to pick up useful items. These items will appear in the text in bold print and, unless you are instructed otherwise, they can be stored and carried in your Backpack.</p>
298         <p>You will need to eat regularly. If you do not possess any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
299        </data>
300       </section>
301
302       <section class="frontmatter" id="ammpouch">
303        <meta><title>Ammo Pouch</title></meta>
304        <data>
305         <p>Your Ammo Pouch is where you store any spare ammunition for firearms. It can hold a maximum of the following:</p>
306         <p>
307          <line>40 rounds of 9mm calibre Pistol/Machine Pistol ammunition</line>
308          <line>or</line>
309          <line>20 rounds of 7.62mm calibre Rifle ammunition</line>
310          <line>or</line>
311          <line>10 rounds of 12-gauge calibre Shotgun ammunition</line>
312         </p>
313         <p>When carrying mixed calibres of ammunition, use this equation to check how much space you have left in your Ammo Pouch:</p>
314         <p>4 x 9mm rounds = 2 x 7.62 rounds = 1 x 12 gauge round</p>
315         <p>Additional ammunition can be carried in your Backpack. Ammunition occupies one space for each quantity that is equal to (or less than) the maximum that can be carried in one Ammo Pouch.</p>
316        </data>
317       </section>
318
319       <section class="frontmatter" id="medikit">
320        <meta><title>Medi-kit</title></meta>
321        <data>
322         <p>A well-stocked Medi-kit can make all the difference to your chances of survival should you suffer injury in the field or as a result of combat. It contains useful first aid supplies, such as dressings, antiseptics, antibiotics, water purification tablets, sulfonamides, pain killers, potassium iodide tablets (to delay absorption of radioactivity), and sutures.</p>
323         <p>For convenience, these medical supplies are grouped into units. To find how many units you have in your Medi-kit, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 equals 10) and add 2. Your total score equals the number of units with which you begin your adventure. To keep a record of them, circle the appropriate number of unit symbols in the Medi-kit section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The maximum number of units you can carry in your Medi-kit is twelve.</p>
324         <p>You may use your Medi-kit units to restore lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points; each unit used in this way restores 3 points. Units cannot be used to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in lieu of a Meal or Water when instructed to eat or drink.</p>
325        </data>
326       </section>
327
328       <section class="frontmatter" id="canteen">
329        <meta><title>Water Canteen</title></meta>
330        <data>
331         <p>Water is essential to life, and your life will depend on having a sufficient, uncontaminated supply. You will need to drink regularly during your adventure. One drink is equivalent to half a pint and your canteen holds exactly two pints of water: enough for one day<ch.apos/>s needs. When instructed to drink, be sure to tick off one box in the Water section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
332         <p>If you do not have any Water when instructed to drink, you must lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
333        </data>
334       </section>
335       
336      </data>
337     </section>
338
339     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="weapons">
340      <meta>
341       <title>Weapons</title>
342       <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
343       <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
344      </meta>
345
346      <footnotes>
347       <footnote id="weapons-1-foot" idref="weapons-1">
348        <p>It is reasonably clear that the Machine Pistol should not be used if you have fewer than 6 rounds of 9mm ammunition.</p>
349        <p>For some readers, however, it may seem counterintuitive to have ammunition left but be unable to use the weapon. We suggest to these readers that when 9mm ammunition falls below 6 rounds, the Machine Pistol can be treated as a Pistol (cf. <a idref="sect333">Section 333</a>). While this is not a perfect solution, it is a reasonable compromise.</p>
350       </footnote>
351      </footnotes>
352
353      <data>
354
355       <section class="frontmatter" id="close">
356        <meta><title>Close Combat Weapons</title></meta>
357        <data>
358         <p>These weapons aid you in hand-to-hand fighting. You begin your adventure armed with a Hunting Knife which, when used in close combat, adds 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Note this Hunting Knife in the Close Combat Weapons section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
359         <p>If you find a close combat weapon during your adventure, you may pick it up and use it. Close combat weapons will appear in the text with a close combat skill number, for example, Machete (3). This number indicates how many points this weapon will add to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> when used in a hand-to-hand fight.</p>
360         <p>The maximum number of close combat weapons you may carry is <em>two</em>, though you may only wield one at any time.</p>
361        </data>
362       </section>
363
364
365       <section class="frontmatter" id="missile">
366        <meta><title>Missile Weapons</title></meta>
367        <data>
368         <p>There are four types of missile weapon:</p>
369         <ul>
370          <li>Pistol</li>
371          <li>Machine Pistol</li>
372          <li>Shotgun</li>
373          <li>Rifle</li>
374         </ul>
375         <p>Unless you are continuing to use weapons from a previous Freeway Warrior book, you begin your adventure armed with only one of these weapons. Make your choice and then record the weapon you have chosen, together with its calibre and rate of fire details, in the Missile Weapons section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
376         <p>In order to be able to use a missile weapon, you must have sufficient ammunition of the correct calibre. The following list shows the calibre of each weapon, the amount that is used every time the weapon is fired, and the number of rounds that you possess at the start of your adventure:</p>
377
378         <table>
379          <tr><th></th><th>Calibre</th><th>Rate of Fire</th><th>Initial No. of Rounds</th></tr>
380          <tr><td>Pistol</td><td>9mm</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">8</td></tr>
381          <tr><td>Machine Pistol</td><td>9mm</td><td align="center">6<footref id="weapons-1" idref="weapons-1-foot"/></td><td align="center">30</td></tr>
382          <tr><td>Shotgun</td><td>12-gauge</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">4</td></tr>
383          <tr><td>Rifle</td><td>7.62mm</td><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">4</td></tr>
384         </table>
385
386         <p>The initial number of rounds should be noted in the Ammo Pouch section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. Missile weapons cannot be used if you run out of ammunition or possess only rounds of the wrong calibre. However, the opportunity may arise for you to replenish your supply of ammunition and/or discover a weapon of the correct calibre.</p>
387         <p>You may carry a maximum of three missile weapons. However, for every missile weapon that you carry (excluding your initial choice), you must reduce your Stealth level by 1 point.</p>
388
389        </data>
390       </section>
391
392      </data>
393     </section>
394
395
396     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
397      <meta>
398       <title>Rules for Close Combat</title>
399       <link class="prev" idref="weapons" />
400       <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
401      </meta>
402
403      <data>
404       <p>There will be occasions when you will have to fight an enemy in hand-to-hand combat. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> level will both be given in the text. Your aim in close combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero or below while losing as few of your own <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible.</p>
405       <p>At the start of a close combat, enter both your own and your enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Close Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. The sequence for close combat is as follows:</p>
406       <ol class="paragraphed">
407        <li><p>Add any extra points gained through the use of close combat weapons to your current <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
408        <li>
409         <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
410         <p>
411          <line>Example</line>
412          <line>Cal Phoenix (<typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> 17) is attacked by a Renegade Clansman (<typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> 18). He is not given the opportunity to evade close combat, but must stand and fight his adversary. Cal Phoenix is armed with a Hunting Knife, so he adds 2 points to his <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>, giving a total <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 19.</line>
413         </p>
414         <p>He subtracts the Renegade Clansman<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.plus/>1 (19 <ch.minus/> 18 = <ch.plus/>1). He notes this <ch.plus/>1 on his <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
415        </li>
416        <li><p>After working out your Combat Ratio, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
417        <li>
418         <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Close Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the number that you have picked (the random numbers appear down the side of the chart). You now have the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Cal Phoenix and his enemy in this round of close combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; CP represents points lost by Cal Phoenix.)</p>
419         <p>
420          <line>Example</line>
421          <line>The Combat Ratio between Cal Phoenix and the Renegade Clansman has been established as <ch.plus/>1. If the number picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 4, then the result of the first round of close combat is:</line>
422         </p>
423         <ul>
424          <li>Cal Phoenix loses 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
425          <li>Renegade Clansman loses 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
426         </ul>
427        </li>
428        <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the close combat.</p></li>
429        <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, start the next round of close combat.</p></li>
430        <li><p>Repeat the sequence from stage 3.</p></li>
431       </ol>
432       <p>This procedure continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Cal Phoenix are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Cal Phoenix is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Cal Phoenix proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
433       <p>A <a idref="crsumary">Summary of the Close Combat Rules</a> appears on the page after the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
434
435       <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
436        <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
437        <data>
438         <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade close combat. If you have already engaged in a round of close combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored; only Cal Phoenix may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but that is the risk of running away! You may evade combat only if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
439        </data>
440       </section>
441      </data>
442     </section>
443
444    </data>
445   </section>
446
447
448   <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
449    <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
450
451    <data>
452
453
454     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
455      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
456
457      <data>
458       <p>Throughout a long and moonless night, the colony loads up and manhandles into line the vehicles that are to transport you west to Tucson. Preparations for the breakout did not begin until an hour after sundown, for Amex Gold has men positioned on nearby Signal Mountain with orders to observe and report all activity within Big Spring. These lookouts are especially vigilant; their leader is expecting the colony to attempt an escape and they know that their lives will be forfeit should they fail to predict exactly when it will occur.</p>
459       <p>In near-blackness you service and refuel your roadster by sense of touch alone, while all around you the chill night air is alive with movement and whispering as your fellow colonists furtively attend to their allotted tasks. Although you cannot see them you know exactly the positions of the five other road vehicles that comprise the convoy. At the head of the line, twenty paces back from the west freeway gate, is the armoured tow truck that will lead the breakout. The driver is <quote>Pecos</quote> Pete Tyler, and beside him you can picture his brother Rex riding shotgun. In the open back of their truck is Rickenbacker, a former flying circus stunt pilot, who has chosen to ride out in the open so that he can look after <quote>Icarus</quote><ch.emdash/>his motorized hang glider<ch.emdash/>which by now he will have carefully dismantled and strapped aboard. Next in line are two Amcorp Landcruisers<ch.emdash/>solar-assisted road buses that carry the Big Spring colonists, and behind them is positioned the gasolene tanker with Uncle Jonas at the wheel. The DC1 school bus is next and your roadster last, the back marker until the convoy is clear of Big Spring.</p>
460
461        <illustration class="inline">
462         <meta>
463          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
464         </meta>
465         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/png"/>
466         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
467         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
468        </illustration>
469
470       <p>Once your preparations are complete you leave your vehicle and feel your way along the side of the school bus towards the boarding door. Cutter is sitting in the driver<ch.apos/>s seat, staring thoughtfully at the night sky, his face lit by the faint green glow of the instrument panel.</p>
471       <p><quote>Cal, you<ch.apos/>d better get back and watch out for Pecos Pete<ch.apos/>s signal,</quote> he says, on seeing you at his side. <quote>We<ch.apos/>re outta here in fifteen minutes.</quote></p>
472       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve decided I<ch.apos/>m not goin<ch.apos/> to Tucson with the convoy,</quote> you reply, your voice steady and resolute. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m not gonna abandon Kate. I<ch.apos/>m the only hope she<ch.apos/>s got of cuttin<ch.apos/> loose o<ch.apos/> that psychopath Mad Dog Michigan, and I<ch.apos/>m not gonna betray that hope. He<ch.apos/>s sure to have taken her with him to San Angelo, and I<ch.apos/>ve thought out a plan to spring her from there while he<ch.apos/>s busy fixin<ch.apos/> a deal with the Angelinos gang.</quote></p>
473       <p><quote>I understand how you feel, Cal,</quote> says Cutter, sympathetically, <quote>but you<ch.apos/>ve a duty to the rest o<ch.apos/> the colony that you can<ch.apos/>t just ignore. You<ch.apos/>re the convoy scout, the convoy<ch.apos/>s eyes and ears. We<ch.apos/>re gonna need you to get us across the mountains in one piece.</quote></p>
474       <p><quote>Rickenbacker in his micro-glider can scout for the convoy. With a CB on board he could stay in radio contact with Pop and be your eyes in the sky. He<ch.apos/>d make the best scout the convoy could ask for,</quote> you reply, convincingly.</p>
475       <p>Cutter stares at you in silence then, begrudgingly, he nods in agreement. <quote>OK, Cal. As soon as we<ch.apos/>re safely away from here I<ch.apos/>ll talk to the others and get them to listen to your plan. But first we<ch.apos/>ve gotta concern ourselves with gettin<ch.apos/> out o<ch.apos/> here in one piece<ch.emdash/>agreed?</quote></p>
476       <p><quote>Agreed,</quote> you reply, relieved that at last you have told someone your decision to rescue Kate.</p>
477       <p>Suddenly the discordant blare of an auto horn splits the silence: it is Pecos Pete<ch.apos/>s signal to the other drivers to start their engines. Quickly you return to your roadster and, as you fire up its engine, you see the twin tail lights of the school bus shrinking in the dark as it heads towards the now-open freeway gate. The breakout has begun.</p>
478       <choice idref="sect293"><link-text>Turn to 293</link-text>.</choice>
479      </data>
480     </section>
481
482     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
483      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
484
485      <data>
486       <p>You are about to push open the door when you notice a thin, almost transparent cord wrapped around the inside handle. It rises to a shelf above the door, where it is attached to a large glass storage jar. Carefully you ease open the door a few inches, take hold of the cord between your fingers and snap it before entering the kitchen. Having deactivated this primitive trap, you make your way silently towards the bar at the front of the building.</p>
487       <p>As you enter, you search the darkened interior for some sign of Haskell, but you cannot see where he is. Rather than risk his mistaking you for a clansman, you whisper his name as you advance cautiously into the bar.</p>
488       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception and Stealth skill scores.</p>
489       <choice idref="sect270">If the total score is 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
490       <choice idref="sect190">If the total score is 11 or more, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
491      </data>
492     </section>
493
494     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
495      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
496
497      <data>
498       <p>The clansmen dive aside as you crash through their barrier and accelerate across the open ground towards the safety of the southern ruins. But they recover quickly and soon the staccato hammering of their assault rifles is echoing in your wake. Bullets slam into the rear of the jeep and whistle past your head as you steer the vehicle towards the remains of a building with an open, unobstructed entrance. Bullets continue to ricochet off the bodywork until you skid to a halt inside the derelict building, where you abandon the jeep hurriedly.</p>
499       <choice idref="sect148"><link-text>Turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
500      </data>
501     </section>
502
503     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
504      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
505
506      <data>
507       <p>The crack of your pistol shot is echoed by the clansman<ch.apos/>s shocked scream. He drops the knife and clutches his hands to his wound before crashing lifelessly to the floor. With fear in their eyes, the other two reach for their pistols as they back away hastily from the guard<ch.apos/>s bloodstained body.</p>
508       <p>Remember to deduct a round of 9mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.</p>
509       <choice idref="sect335"><link-text>Turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
510      </data>
511     </section>
512
513     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
514      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
515
516      <data>
517       <p>Your killing blow tears open the sniper<ch.apos/>s chest and flings him to the floor like a torn puppet. With a gurgling groan he rolls over onto his back and dies, his rifle still clutched in his hands. (If you wish to keep this weapon, you discover that it contains eight rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.)</p>
518       <p>You walk to the window and shout an <quote>all clear</quote> to the others in the street below before you turn to leave.</p>
519       <choice idref="sect239"><link-text>Turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
520      </data>
521     </section>
522
523     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
524      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
525
526      <data>
527       <p>Having chosen to stop here and rest, you pull off the highway and search among the ruins for a safe shelter. You are looking for a place where you will be able to hide the roadster and observe the road; if the Angelinos appear during the night, you will need as much forewarning of their arrival as possible in order to make a successful getaway.</p>
528       <p>Only one place meets your needs: a warehouse and factory complex near the middle of the town. The cracked and tarnished facia above its entrance tells you that this was once the Eldorado Woolen Mills. You park the roadster in a covered lot at the rear, and then settle yourselves on the first floor in a workshop that has an unobstructed view of the highway. You must now eat a Meal (or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points), and take a Drink (or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
529       <p>Kate curls up beside you and falls asleep in your arms, while you, heavy with fatigue, force yourself to stay awake and watch the highway. Your vigilance pays off when, two hours later, you see a line of lights in the double doors leading to the kitchen and you head straight for them.</p>
530       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
531       <choice idref="sect99">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 99</link-text>.</choice>
532       <choice idref="sect218">If the number is 3<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
533      </data>
534     </section>
535
536     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
537      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
538
539      <data>
540       <p>This corridor services a number of offices and conference rooms before it ends at a wide staircase leading downwards. You descend three floors and discover the remains of a large private restaurant which, along with the kitchen, occupies most of the sub-basement level. A small <quote>fire exit</quote> sign hangs over the double doors leading to the kitchen and you head straight for them.</p>
541       <p>As you are crossing the restaurant floor, your rumbling stomach reminds you that you have yet to eat anything today. Then the thought occurs to you that there could still be some canned food in the kitchen, and you decide to search it before you leave the building.</p>
542       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception skill score.</p>
543       <choice idref="sect159">If your total score is now 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 159</link-text>.</choice>
544       <choice idref="sect233">If it is 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
545      </data>
546     </section>
547
548     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
549      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
550
551      <data>
552       <p>Kate grips your hand tightly as you descend with a group of the cave people into the depths of the Sonora caverns. An astounding speleological feast greets your eyes as you follow them through a series of monumental caves that have been eroded over millions of years by subterranean rivers and streams. The group stops frequently at specially prepared defensive hides, which are virtually impossible to see. One or two of their number, armed with rocks, spears, and slings, occupy each of these positions. At once you see that it is their intention to lure the clansmen into the caverns and fight them here, where, despite their lack of firearms, the odds are in their favour.</p>
553       <p>Soon the sound of gunfire begins to penetrate the caverns, announcing the arrival of the clansmen. You stop with Kate and crouch behind a clump of stalagmites, while the three remaining cave people arm themselves with rocks and take up a position on a ledge directly above a narrow defile. For several minutes the sound of gunfire and the screams of the wounded fill the caves with clamouring echoes. Then two of the Angelinos appear at the entrance to the defile and come running towards you. The cave people hurl their rocks and bring an Angelino crashing to the ground with a broken skull, but his partner avenges his death by sweeping them from the ledge with one long burst of automatic fire.</p>
554       <choice idref="sect61">If you have a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
555       <choice idref="sect302">If you do not have one, have exhausted your ammunition, or do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
556      </data>
557     </section>
558
559     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
560      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
561
562      <data>
563       <p>To your left is the open doorway of an empty locker room and you slip inside quickly to avoid being seen by the two guards. Having already removed the grenade from your pack, you set its variable timer to detonate four seconds after the pin is pulled. A quick glance into the corridor lets you know the guards<ch.apos/> position; you pull the pin and lob the grenade at them.</p>
564       <p>In the confines of the corridor the grenade explodes with devastating effect. Even though you are in an adjacent room, shielded from the direct blast, the concussion makes your ears ring and leaves you gasping for breath. You grab a towel that is hanging behind the door and use it to cover your mouth as you run down the smoke-filled corridor. The clansmen lie dead at the foot of the stairs. As you leap over their bodies and ascend the steps, you see the door to the observation block begin to open.</p>
565       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
566      </data>
567     </section>
568
569     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
570      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
571
572      <data>
573       <p>You chamber a round and take aim at the first clansman as he scurries between the rocks that litter the edge of the service area. He is less than thirty yards away when you squeeze off your first shot and bring him crashing to the ground. (Remember to deduct a round of 7.62mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) His partner hesitates, and then abandons his stealthy approach and comes running towards you, screaming hysterically, his machine pistol blazing at his hip.</p>
574       <choice idref="sect176">If you have sufficient ammunition and wish to fire again, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
575       <choice idref="sect212">If you do not have sufficient ammunition to fire a second time, or if you choose not to fire, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
576      </data>
577     </section>
578
579     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
580      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
581
582      <data>
583       <p>Kate rushes over to the dead man<ch.apos/>s bike and salvages a machine pistol, while you return to the car and finish the repair. The sight of their leader dead leaves the remaining clansmen in a state of confusion, which lasts just long enough for you to complete your wheel change and jump back into the car with Kate.</p>
584       <p>As you reach the top of the bank and speed away towards the distant highway, you glance over your shoulder to see the Angelino scouts cradling their leader<ch.apos/>s body on the bank of the South Concho River.</p>
585       <choice idref="sect249"><link-text>Turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
586      </data>
587     </section>
588
589     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
590      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
591
592      <data>
593       <p>For three long, hot, tedious hours you sit watching the two clansmen through your binoculars (during which time you must take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). You see them finish their meal and then attend to the repair of one of their motorcycle engines. You are beginning to fear that they have no intention of ever leaving the bridge, when another biker appears atop a ridge of high ground on the far side of the river. He approaches them and stops briefly to talk. Then the two clansmen mount their machines and follow him back across the bridge, accelerating away to the south.</p>
594       <p>Once you are sure that it is safe to continue, you start your engine and drive towards the bridge. As you approach the entrance you see the remains of the clansmen<ch.apos/>s campfire, its ashes still smouldering.</p>
595       <choice idref="sect111">If you wish to stop and search the area around the campfire, <link-text>turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
596       <choice idref="sect213">If you decide to cross the bridge and press on towards San Angelo, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
597      </data>
598     </section>
599
600     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
601      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
602
603      <data>
604       <p>You wait until Haskell has disappeared into an alley that runs alongside the bar; then you approach the front door cautiously and peek inside. Remnants of food lie scattered across the tables and, judging by the amount of fresh garbage strewn on the floor, a large group of clansmen were here not so long ago.</p>
605       <p>Suddenly you hear the sound of breaking glass. It comes from the rear of the building and you sense that Haskell must have something to do with it. Fearing that he is involved in a fight, you enter the bar and call out his name.</p>
606       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception and Stealth skill scores.</p>
607       <choice idref="sect270">If the total score is 12 or less, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
608       <choice idref="sect190">If the total score is 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
609      </data>
610     </section>
611
612     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
613      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
614
615      <data>
616       <p>A hail of automatic rifle fire tears into the sides and rear of the jeep as you crash your way through the barrier and accelerate across the open ground. You are twenty yards from the safety of the southern ruins when two bullets penetrate the jeep<ch.apos/>s gasolene tank.</p>
617       <p>The steel-jacketed rounds cause a spark that ignites the fuel, and, in one chilling instant, the vehicle is transformed into a blazing fireball. A kaleidoscope of shapes assails your eyes as the jeep somersaults end-over-end, before you are engulfed by a wave of searing white heat that kills you instantly.</p>
618       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life come to an end here in San Angelo.</deadend>
619      </data>
620     </section>
621
622     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
623      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
624
625      <data>
626       <p>From a position high among the tiers, you look down at the rows of empty seats that encircle the dusty arena and observe the preparations taking place around the perimeter track. This stadium once hosted international sporting events, many of which were televised and beamed live around the world. Now it plays host to a sporting event of a very different kind. The Angelinos have challenged the Lions to put forward four of their best riders for a twenty-lap motorcycle race around the arena. The track itself reminds you of an old film you saw when you were a child, a film about the wild chariot races that took place in Ancient Rome. Today<ch.apos/>s event is meant to be a friendly challenge to celebrate the signing of their alliance, but with clan honour at stake the race will undoubtedly be fought out in deadly earnest.</p>
627       <p>Facing you, on the far side of the stadium, is the glass-fronted observation block that was once used by television and radio commentators. Your curiosity is aroused by it when you notice that the door to the block is heavily guarded. Fixedly you stare at its full-length windows and count five occupants: four clansmen and one blonde-haired girl. You cannot see her face clearly, but you know that she is Kate Norton.</p>
628       <choice idref="sect346"><link-text>Turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
629      </data>
630     </section>
631
632     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
633      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
634
635      <data>
636       <p>The bullets whine as they ricochet off the side of the Chevrolet and pass within inches of your body. You reach cover and Kate tosses her machine pistol to you over the side of the roadster. You catch it near the ground, but before you can draw back the firing bolt and return fire, you spot the outline of a man standing away to your right. He is armed with a pistol and he has you dead in his sights.</p>
637       <p><quote>Do like the man said, buddy, or take your last breath,</quote> he says, and reluctantly you let the G-12 slip to the ground.</p>
638       <p><quote>Ain<ch.apos/>t no good you hidin<ch.apos/> in there, honey,</quote> says the voice from the pay booth. There is a pause, and then slowly Kate climbs out of the car and stands beside you.</p>
639       <p>The man with the pistol is tall and muscular and dressed in green army fatigues. His blond hair is cropped close to his head and his eyes are hidden behind a pair of dark sunglasses. With his pistol still aimed at your heart, he walks slowly towards you, stopping at the entrance to the pay booth. Two more men in uniform emerge from the doorway<ch.emdash/>the rifleman and one other, armed with a sawn-off shotgun.</p>
640       <p><quote>They don<ch.apos/>t look like clan punks, Sarge,</quote> says the rifleman.</p>
641       <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>re not,</quote> interrupts Kate. <quote>We<ch.apos/>re running from the clans.</quote></p>
642       <p>Bemused, the blond-haired man scratches his chin and turns to say something quietly to his two companions. It is then that you notice the faded sergeant stripes and the circular globe-of-the-world emblem that adorn his sleeve. Instantly you recognize the latter: it is the emblem of the World Defence League. At length, he turns to face you once more and says, in a friendlier tone, <quote>I think you two had better tell us your story.</quote></p>
643       <choice idref="sect321"><link-text>Turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
644      </data>
645     </section>
646
647     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
648      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
649
650      <data>
651       <p>Mad Dog Michigan is poised to shoot you dead when suddenly a loud cheer fills the stadium. Ricky Riot, the top Angelinos rider, has just crossed the line and won the race, and it is this victory cry that distracts Mad Dog<ch.apos/>s aim at the vital second. His shot goes awry, hitting the lifeless body of Mekong Mike, who is slumped at your feet. He fires again but this time the pistol jams. In desperation he hurls the weapon at your head. You dive to avoid it and it glances off your shoulder: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
652       <p>When you get to your feet your enemy is speaking into a radio handset. In his hand he now holds another pistol and, with a cruel sneer, he raises it and takes deliberate aim at your head. He is about to squeeze the trigger when Kate appears behind him with a wooden stool clutched unsteadily in her hands. With one fell stroke she smashes it down upon his head and leaves him sprawled unconscious on the floor.</p>
653       <choice idref="sect45"><link-text>Turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
654      </data>
655     </section>
656
657     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
658      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
659
660      <data>
661       <p>The clansman is no more than ten feet away when you spring up from your hiding place and bring your barrel to bear. Your gunfire catches him in the side and spins him backwards to the slippery floor. For a moment he shudders, and then falls still as his last breath escapes from between his blood-flecked lips. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.)</p>
662       <p>Kate moves forward to check that he is dead and to search his body. She keeps what she needs: his machine pistol, a quantity of ammunition, and his water canteen, and offers the rest of his possessions to you:</p>
663       <ul>
664        <li>Enough food for one Meal</li>
665        <li>Enough sulfonamides for one Medi-kit unit</li>
666        <li>Flick Knife (2)</li>
667        <li><typ class="item">Compass</typ></li>
668        <li><typ class="item">Binoculars</typ></li>
669       </ul>
670       <p>If you keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
671       <p>As soon as you are ready, you retrace your way along the defile and return to the surface.</p>
672       <choice idref="sect168"><link-text>Turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
673      </data>
674     </section>
675
676     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
677      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
678
679      <data>
680       <p>Your gunfire catches the fleeing clansman in the neck and lifts him clean out of the saddle. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.) In your rear-view mirror you see him bounce off the highway, roll over, and then disappear from view amongst a tangle of dead sagebrush at the side of the road. His bike continues in a straight line for almost a minute until, with a loud crash, it finally flips end-over-end and bursts into flames.</p>
681       <p>Less than a mile along the highway you happen upon a deserted stretch of Freeway 87, running directly across your path. You join it, heading south, and within a few minutes you catch sight of a town on the road ahead. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> confirms your suspicions: you are approaching the outskirts of Sterling City.</p>
682       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
683      </data>
684     </section>
685
686     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
687      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
688
689      <data>
690       <p>The convoy is travelling at break-neck speed as it passes through the blazing ruins of Allamoore and enters the pass beyond. Sweat trickles down your face as the ominous peak of Slaughter Mountain looms out of the smoke, and you witness the vicious battle taking place on its lower slopes. The bodies of slain Mavericks and Mexicans lie at the side of the freeway, tangled among the smoking remains of motorcycles and trucks once loaded with looted provisions. Small groups of desperate men are waging bitter hand-to-hand battles among this carnage, whilst others blaze away with automatic weapons, hiding in their foxholes dug by hand from the barren, stony soil.</p>
691       <p>The arrival of the convoy brings a lull in the fighting. Some turn their guns on you and a hail of bullets begins to rake either side of the colony vehicles. The tow truck approaches a bend in the freeway, and, as it turns, you see a Maverick kneeling at the side of the road with a missile launcher perched on his shoulder. He tracks the truck, but a burst of Mexican fire makes him dive for cover. When he appears again he no longer has the truck in his sights: he has you in his sights!</p>
692
693       <illustration class="float">
694        <meta>
695         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
696         <description>A Maverick kneeling at the side of the road with a missile launcher perched on his shoulder.</description>
697        </meta>
698        <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="625"  mime-type="image/png"/>
699        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
700        <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
701       </illustration>
702
703       <p>The only way you can hope to avoid being hit by the missile is by taking evasive action immediately.</p>
704       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Driving and Perception skill scores.</p>
705       <choice idref="sect182">If your total score is 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 182</link-text>.</choice>
706       <choice idref="sect326">If your total score is 11-15, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
707       <choice idref="sect108">If your total score is 16 or more, <link-text>turn to 108</link-text>.</choice>
708      </data>
709     </section>
710
711     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
712      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
713
714      <data>
715       <p>The clansman unsheathes his knife and slashes at your throat with a wide sweep of his tattooed arm. You duck beneath this vicious swipe, and before he can catch you with a backhanded slice, you drive your fist into his stomach. He doubles over and staggers back, but he recovers quickly and springs forward with unexpected speed, his vice-like fingers scrabbling to get a grip on your neck.</p>
716       <combat><enemy>Harley-D</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">26</enemy-attribute></combat>
717       <p>The enemy has been winded by your punch; therefore you may add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the first two rounds of combat.</p>
718       <choice idref="sect335">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
719      </data>
720     </section>
721
722     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
723      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
724
725      <data>
726       <p>Concealed beneath the piles of old documents, you discover a padlocked hatch. Three well-placed kicks remove the lock and, when you lift the hinged trapdoor, you find a large, hermetically sealed storage bin, which is filled with cigarettes, packed neatly in cartons of 200. Although you have no personal need for these cigarettes, you know that there are those who would willingly trade food or fuel for them.</p>
727       <p>If you decide to keep a <typ class="item">Carton of Cigarettes</typ>, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly. One carton counts as one Backpack Item.</p>
728       <p>Having satisfied yourself that there is little else of worth here, you leave the cabin and return to your roadster.</p>
729       <choice idref="sect216"><link-text>Turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
730      </data>
731     </section>
732
733     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
734      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
735
736      <data>
737       <p>The deadly bullets miss you by inches and you dive to the floor in case the unseen gunman decides to fire again. Then you hear running footsteps approaching, and as they get louder, you raise your weapon and fire at the door. There is a scream from inside the kitchen, and you hear a body fall heavily to the tiled floor amid a crash of broken glass and crockery. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.)</p>
738       <p>Just inside the door you discover the body of a clansman. Judging from the long-horned skull that you find painted on the back of his leather vest, you have just laid to rest your first Angelino. On the floor nearby you find his weapons and equipment: a Machine Pistol (containing eighteen rounds of 9mm ammunition) and a Backpack, which holds the following items:</p>
739       <ul>
740        <li><typ class="item">Flexible Saw</typ></li>
741        <li>HE Grenade</li>
742        <li>Water Canteen (containing enough water for three Drinks)</li>
743        <li><typ class="item">Small Blanket</typ></li>
744        <li>Enough bandages, sulfonamides, and antiseptics for three Medi-kit units</li>
745        <li>Knife (2)</li>
746       </ul>
747       <p>In addition to these items, a search of the kitchen also reveals the following:</p>
748       <ul>
749        <li>Meat Cleaver (3)</li>
750        <li>Bread Knife (2)</li>
751        <li>Enough canned food for five Meals</li>
752       </ul>
753       <p>If you choose to keep any of the items in either list, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
754       <p>Before leaving the kitchen, you hide the clansman<ch.apos/>s body in an empty refrigerator. Then you hurry through the fire escape door and make your way up a flight of rusty steps that leads to a service alley at the rear of the building.</p>
755       <choice idref="sect269"><link-text>Turn to 269</link-text>.</choice>
756      </data>
757     </section>
758
759     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
760      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
761
762      <data>
763       <p>The track leads to a cluster of log cabins and adobe huts that look as if they have only recently been constructed. Nearby, erected around the entrance to a cave, you see a palisade and, standing at the gate in this wall of logs, you notice a large group of men, women, and children. They are dressed in animal skins, and their faces and hair are dyed with bright colours. At your approach they scurry inside the gate and take cover behind their log wall.</p>
764       <p>The instant you bring your roadster to a halt you smell the strong, oily aroma of gasolene. With trepidation you inspect the bullet-riddled trunk and discover, to your horror, that gasolene is gushing from the spare fuel containers. They are so badly holed that an attempt at repairing them would be futile. The roar of your pursuer<ch.apos/>s motorcycle is growing louder, and Kate urges you to abandon the car and take cover with the others behind the wall of logs. You nod your agreement and run towards the gate but as you get nearer, a man steps forward to block your access. He is holding a loaded bow. A flint-tipped arrow is drawn taut to his lips and he is pointing it at your chest.</p>
765       <illustration class="float">
766        <meta>
767         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
768         <description>A man steps forward to block your access. He is holding a loaded bow.</description>
769        </meta>
770        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="625"  mime-type="image/png"/>
771        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
772        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
773       </illustration>
774
775       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
776       <choice idref="sect96">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
777       <choice idref="sect145">If the number is 4<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
778       <choice idref="sect287">If the number is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
779      </data>
780     </section>
781
782     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
783      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
784
785      <data>
786       <p>The end of the heavy motorcycle drive chain hits the back of your head and raises an angry weal across your right shoulder: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
787       <p>Stunned by the force of the blow, you keel over and land face down in the river. For a few seconds, you remain there, unmoving, until the taste of the bitter, putrid water brings you to your senses.</p>
788       <choice idref="sect166"><link-text>Turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
789      </data>
790     </section>
791
792     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
793      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
794
795      <data>
796       <p>You pull the trigger and immediately duck your head behind the roadster<ch.apos/>s reinforced steel door. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.) The speed of your reflexes saves you from being hit by the Maverick<ch.apos/>s gunfire as, in the throes of death, he empties his pistol into the side of your car.</p>
797       <p>With the screams of the other clansmen ringing in your ears, you force yourself to concentrate on restarting your roadster. This time, despite an almost overwhelming urge to stamp the pedal straight through the floor, you take your foot off the gas as you turn the ignition switch. The move works<ch.emdash/>the engine roars back to life<ch.emdash/>and within seconds you are accelerating away from the Mavericks with your eyes glued firmly on the convoy<ch.apos/>s tail lights, glowing red in the distance. A few poorly aimed bullets chase your escape but you soon catch up with the school bus and pass beyond range of the clansmen<ch.apos/>s guns.</p>
798       <choice idref="sect312"><link-text>Turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
799      </data>
800     </section>
801
802     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
803      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
804
805      <data>
806       <p>You pull back and release the slide of your pistol, feeding a bullet into the breech, and then take careful aim at the first clansman as he scurries between the rocks that litter the edge of the service area. He is less than twenty yards away when you squeeze off your first shot and bring him crashing to the ground. (Remember to deduct a round of 9mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) His partner hesitates, and then abandons his stealthy approach and comes running towards you, screaming hysterically, his machine pistol blazing at his hip.</p>
807       <choice idref="sect176">If you have sufficient ammunition and wish to fire again, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
808       <choice idref="sect212">If you do not have sufficient ammunition to fire a second time, or if you choose not to fire, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
809      </data>
810     </section>
811
812     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
813      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
814
815      <data>
816       <p>Kate manages to pull the snapping dog from your arm and dispatch it swiftly with a pistol shot to the head.</p>
817       <p>Its fangs have penetrated the leather sleeve of your jacket and gouged your arm (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) but you are relieved to see that there are no signs that the animal was rabid.</p>
818       <p>Quickly you regain full control of the roadster and steer it towards the Christoval bridge.</p>
819       <choice idref="sect324"><link-text>Turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
820      </data>
821     </section>
822
823     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
824      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
825
826      <data>
827       <p>You awake shortly after dawn, your neck stiff and aching after an uncomfortable night<ch.apos/>s sleep. Little light is filtering from the surface of this underground lot, but there is sufficient for you to be able to take stock of your surroundings and make sure that you are alone. After checking your equipment, you leave your roadster and ascend to the surface, where you make a mental note of this location before beginning your trek towards the downtown stronghold of the Angelinos.</p>
828       <p>The heat is bearable at this early hour and you encounter no sign of the city<ch.apos/>s occupants as stealthily you make your way through the shattered streets. An hour later you reach the southern section of their perimeter wall and stop to observe those who are guarding it. They look like a motley group of criminals armed with an assortment of weapons and equipment, much of which appears rusty and incapable of functioning. All that identifies them as Angelinos is the symbol they wear on their jackets and T-shirts: the skull of a long-horned steer.</p>
829       <p>After having studied the defences and watched the guards for the better part of an hour, you decide that the best place to gain entry to the stronghold is through an office block that interrupts the perimeter wall. The wooden planks that have been used to seal it are warped and split, and gaining entry to the building should not prove too difficult. Patiently you wait for the right moment before you break cover and sprint across the rubble-strewn street towards the main entrance.</p>
830       <choice idref="sect189"><link-text>Turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
831      </data>
832     </section>
833
834     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
835      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
836
837      <data>
838       <p>You radio back to the convoy that you have sighted something suspicious in the hills to the south. You bring your roadster to a halt, and, as the convoy draws closer, Cutter disembarks and comes running forward to find out more. You point out the place on the ridge where you saw the reflections, and he scans the area with his powerful binoculars.</p>
839       <p><quote>Whatever was up there has gone now, Cal,</quote> he says. <quote>If it was clan scouts you saw then we<ch.apos/>d better keep on movin<ch.apos/> before they rustle up enough of their kin to bushwhack us.</quote></p>
840       <p>You keep a watchful eye on the ridge as you lead the convoy along this section of the freeway. Anxiously you expect an ambush to take place at any time, but, despite your fears, an attack does not materialize. At length, the stores and houses of Van Horn appear on the road ahead. The town looks deserted but you decide to take no chances. You bring the convoy to a halt within a mile of the town limits and, accompanied by Sergeant Haskell, you leave your roadster and enter on foot to check that the place is safe for the convoy to pass through.</p>
841       <p>The tumbledown buildings are deathly quiet as you walk along the main street of Van Horn, and you notice nothing out of the ordinary until you reach a bar near the centre of the town. A motorcycle is parked beside the entrance, its fuel tank emblazoned with the ace-of-spades emblem of the Mavericks clan. You decide to search the bar and, if possible, try to capture and question the bike<ch.apos/>s owner. Haskell suggests that it would be a good idea if one of you were to enter by the rear door and you nod your agreement.</p>
842
843        <illustration class="inline">
844         <meta>
845          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
846         </meta>
847         <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
848         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
849         <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
850        </illustration>
851
852       <choice idref="sect131">If you wish to enter the bar from the rear, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
853       <choice idref="sect13">If you choose to enter the bar through the front door, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
854      </data>
855     </section>
856
857     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
858      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
859
860      <data>
861       <p>An agonizing pain cuts into your chest and the warm taste of blood fills your mouth. Then the pain gives way to a terrifying numbness that robs you of all sensation. In a moment you see the sniper working another round into the chamber of his rifle. Then he points the muzzle at your head and darkness engulfs you.</p>
862       <deadend>Tragically, your mission and your life end here in Brogado.</deadend>
863      </data>
864     </section>
865
866     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
867      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
868
869      <data>
870       <p>You stamp on the brake pedal and spin the wheel to the right, causing your car to twist about and slide sideways along the highway. The sudden shriek of your tyres and the sight of your roadster hurtling towards him broadside on makes the clansman panic. He empties his magazine yet not one of the armour-piercing loads hits your roadster. Horrified, he fumbles to reload his weapon, but before he can do so, he is hit by the rear of your car and sent tumbling over the side of the bridge.</p>
871       <p>His confederate has managed to start his bike and is racing across to the other side. You slam the gear shift into low and give chase, determined to prevent him from warning Mad Dog Michigan that you are coming to pay him a visit. Beyond the bridge you chase the biker up a steep incline to the top of a ridge and, as you crest the top, you see him gunning his machine towards Freeway 87, less than half a mile away.</p>
872       <choice idref="sect327">If you wish to draw a missile weapon and fire at the biker while you are pursuing him, <link-text>turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
873       <choice idref="sect199">If you decide to try to ram him off the road, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
874      </data>
875     </section>
876
877     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
878      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
879
880      <data>
881       <p>Quickly you stop the car and peer through your binoculars at the little town of Christoval.</p>
882       <p><quote>Can y<ch.apos/>see what<ch.apos/>s kickin<ch.apos/> up that dust?</quote> asks Kate.</p>
883       <p><quote>Looks like a pack of wild coyote fighting among themselves,</quote> you reply, as you focus on the action taking place at the centre of the town.</p>
884       <p><quote>Hey, Cal,</quote> she replies, tugging at your sleeve, <quote>that ain<ch.apos/>t the dust I<ch.apos/>m talkin<ch.apos/> about.</quote></p>
885       <p>Lowering your lenses, you turn to see her pointing back along the highway at another dust cloud, which is fast approaching. You do not need binoculars to be able to see that it is being kicked up by a pack of bikers, who have come racing out of San Angelo.</p>
886       <p><quote>I think it<ch.apos/>s time we were movin<ch.apos/> on,</quote> says Kate, uneasily.</p>
887       <p><quote>I think you<ch.apos/>re right,</quote> you reply, as hurriedly you reach for the ignition switch.</p>
888       <choice idref="sect310"><link-text>Turn to 310</link-text>.</choice>
889      </data>
890     </section>
891
892     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
893      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
894
895      <data>
896       <p>Your speed and sure-footedness save you from the merciless flames. Your jacket is blackened with soot and the legs of your jeans are smouldering, but you escape from the blazing library without sustaining any injury.</p>
897       <choice idref="sect110"><link-text>Turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
898      </data>
899     </section>
900
901     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
902      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
903
904      <data>
905       <p>Bellowing like an angry bull, you burst through the kitchen doors with your gun held before you, ready to fire. To your left you sense a movement and you turn to face it. A clansman is crouching in front of a food locker, trying to prise the door open with the edge of a meat cleaver. When he sees you his eyes open wide with shock.</p>
906       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>d drop it!</quote> you shout.</p>
907       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ll drop you!</quote> he screams in reply, and draws the cleaver back in preparation to throw it at your chest.</p>
908       <p>You shoot once and hit the clansman in the head, the force of your gunfire spinning his body across the kitchen floor and killing him instantly. Slowly you lower your smoking barrel and walk forward to search the body of your would-be attacker.</p>
909       <p>Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.</p>
910       <choice idref="sect126"><link-text>Turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
911      </data>
912     </section>
913
914     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
915      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
916
917      <data>
918       <p>For a moment the clansman shudders at your feet as his last breath escapes from between his blood-flecked lips. Then his eyes glaze over and he succumbs to the endless sleep of death. Kate moves forward to check that he is no longer a threat and to search his body. She keeps what she needs: his machine pistol, a quantity of ammunition, and his water canteen, and offers the rest of his possessions to you:</p>
919       <ul>
920        <li>Enough food for one Meal</li>
921        <li>Enough sulfonamides for one Medi-kit unit</li>
922        <li>Flick Knife (2)</li>
923        <li><typ class="item">Compass</typ></li>
924        <li><typ class="item">Binoculars</typ></li>
925       </ul>
926       <p>If you keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
927       <p>As soon as you are ready, you retrace your way along the defile and return to the surface.</p>
928       <choice idref="sect168"><link-text>Turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
929      </data>
930     </section>
931
932     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
933      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
934
935      <data>
936       <p>You are almost relieved to see that the cause of your irritation is a small, brown, spindly-legged spider. Casually you raise your right hand to slap it from your arm, but just as you bring your hand down, Kate<ch.apos/>s eyes widen with fear. <quote>No!</quote> she says. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s a Fiddleback!</quote></p>
937       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
938       <choice idref="sect202">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 202</link-text>.</choice>
939       <choice idref="sect280">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
940      </data>
941     </section>
942
943     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
944      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
945
946      <data>
947       <p>Reaching over your head, you grasp the rounded handle of your shotgun and unsheathe it from its storage place behind your seat. It is loaded, and a glance at the breech tells you that the safety catch is set to fire. The moment the clansman sees you resting the twelve-gauge barrel on the door, he veers across to the left lane of the highway as quickly as he can. You smile when you realize the purpose of this manoeuvre: he is trying to increase his chances of survival by making it as difficult as he can for you to shoot at him with your right hand.</p>
948       <p>Add together your Driving and Shooting skill scores. Now decide how many rounds you wish to fire at the clansman (minimum: one round; maximum: four rounds), and add the number of rounds to your skills total.</p>
949       <choice idref="sect318">If your total score is 5 or less, <link-text>turn to 318</link-text>.</choice>
950       <choice idref="sect19">If your total score is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
951      </data>
952     </section>
953
954     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
955      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
956
957      <data>
958       <p>The gully approaches with frightening speed. Horrified, you watch as the front of your roadster nosedives into the hollow, pitching the car end-over-end. There is darkness, and then there is a searing flash of white light that totally engulfs your vision as the fuel tank ruptures and explodes.</p>
959       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here at the foot of Slaughter Mountain.</deadend>
960      </data>
961     </section>
962
963     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
964      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
965
966      <data>
967       <p>On a count of three you step out into the corridor, raise your pistol, and fix your sights on the guard who is standing to the left of the stairs. You fire a body shot and see him twist backwards, clutching his chest. (Remember to deduct a round of 9mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) Then you swing across to his partner, knowing only too well that you must make your second shot count just as effectively. But his reactions prove razor-sharp, and when you do get him in your sights you are shocked to find that you are staring at the muzzle of a machine pistol.</p>
968       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score, and your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
969       <choice idref="sect297">If your total score is 18 or less, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
970       <choice idref="sect197">If your total score is 19 or more, <link-text>turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
971      </data>
972     </section>
973
974     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
975      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
976
977      <data>
978       <p>Although you cannot identify these clansmen, you estimate that their pack is more than 400 riders strong. It would be disastrous for the convoy to run head-on into a group of such size, and you hurry back to the colony as quickly as you can to break the bad news.</p>
979       <p>With a pack of bikers approaching from the north, a large Mexican clan crossing the border to the south and the threat of a Maverick ambush to the west, the prospects of reaching El Paso unscathed now look decidedly unpromising. With no time to discuss the situation at length, the convoy reverts to the original plan: to stay on Interstate 10 and approach El Paso from the west. It is the shortest, most direct route, even though there is a very real chance of falling prey to a Maverick ambush.</p>
980       <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
981      </data>
982     </section>
983
984     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
985      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
986
987      <data>
988       <p>For a few moments you are blinded by a deluge of stones and stinking water as you drive through the aftermath of the explosion. Then your vision and your windshield clear and you see the opposite bank. Another grenade explodes behind you but the main force of the blast is diverted and you escape unscathed.</p>
989       <p>As you reach the top of the bank and speed away towards the distant highway, you glance over your shoulder to see the clansmen drawn up in a line along the bank of the South Concho River.</p>
990       <choice idref="sect249"><link-text>Turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
991      </data>
992     </section>
993
994     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
995      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
996
997      <data>
998       <p>Repeatedly you pump the gas pedal and work the ignition, but the engine refuses to start. Then a bullet smacks into the passenger door and another ricochets loudly off the hardened steel plates that protect the rear of your driving seat, making you duck your head involuntarily. Cursing your luck, you realize suddenly that your frantic efforts to restart the engine have caused it to flood with fuel.</p>
999       <p>Running footsteps approach from all sides and angry voices scream abuse in your direction. You grab your weapon and, as you turn to face the moving shadows, you find yourself staring into the steely-blue eyes of a Maverick gunman. A Smith <ch.ampersand/> Wesson model 459 pistol is clasped in his right hand, its nickel-plated barrel pointing straight at your face. As the Maverick begins to squeeze his trigger, you raise your gun and fire.</p>
1000       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting and Stealth skill scores.</p>
1001       <choice idref="sect235">If your total score is now 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
1002       <choice idref="sect258">If your total score is 9<ch.endash/>12, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
1003       <choice idref="sect26">If your total score is 13 or more, <link-text>turn to 26</link-text>.</choice>
1004      </data>
1005     </section>
1006
1007     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1008      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1009
1010      <footnotes>
1011       <footnote id="sect44-1-foot" idref="sect44-1">
1012        <p>Use of this Medi-kit does not restore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in this instance.</p>
1013       </footnote>
1014      </footnotes>
1015
1016      <data>
1017       <p>Kate discovers that you are carrying an anti-toxin in your Medi-kit that will neutralize the Fiddleback<ch.apos/>s bite. She breaks open the ampoule and forces the bitter liquid into your mouth, washing it down with a few drops of water from your canteen (remember to erase this Medi-kit unit from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).<footref id="sect44-1" idref="sect44-1-foot"/></p>
1018       <p>It is slow to work, but gradually you recover as the anti-toxin breaks down the poison circulating in your bloodstream: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1019       <choice idref="sect291"><link-text>Turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
1020      </data>
1021     </section>
1022
1023     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1024      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1025
1026      <data>
1027       <p>You rush forward to take Kate in your arms and she yields to your embrace with a kiss that is warm and passionate. <quote>I thought I<ch.apos/>d never see you again, Cal,</quote> she says, her voice trembling and her wide blue eyes brimful with tears of joy. <quote>They told me you were dead.</quote></p>
1028       <p><quote>Do I look dead?</quote> you reply, half-jokingly.</p>
1029       <p><quote>No<ch.ellips/></quote> she laughs. <quote>You look just great.</quote></p>
1030       <p>Then the sound of running feet alerts you both to approaching danger. Before Kate knocked him out, Mad Dog radioed his men and reported your presence in the observation block. Now a dozen of his toughest clansmen are racing along the corridor in answer to his call.</p>
1031       <p><quote>Let<ch.apos/>s get outta here, Cal!</quote> says Kate, and she starts to run towards a fire escape door. You follow her, pausing briefly to snatch the map that the two clan leaders were studying when you burst into the room. (Record this <typ class="item">Mad Dog Map</typ> in the margin of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>; you carry it tucked inside your jacket and therefore you need not record it as a Backpack Item.)</p>
1032       <p>You race to catch up with Kate as she runs along the gantry that lies on the other side of the door. A burst of machine pistol fire echoes in your wake as the first of Mad Dog<ch.apos/>s men enter the observation room. Bullets begin to scream past on either side of you. Twenty yards along the iron gantry you come under additional fire from clansmen in the stadium below.</p>
1033
1034       <illustration class="float">
1035        <meta>
1036         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1037         <description>Kate runs along the gantry that lies on the other side of the door.</description>
1038        </meta>
1039        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="626"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1040        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="630"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1041        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="630" />
1042       </illustration>
1043
1044       <p>Add your Stealth skill score to your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
1045       <choice idref="sect83">If your total score is 14 or less, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
1046       <choice idref="sect185">If your total score is 15 or more, <link-text>turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
1047      </data>
1048     </section>
1049
1050     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1051      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1052
1053      <data>
1054       <p>Once more you take to the road. As you approach the town of Broome, the sun is low in the sky and the burning heat has given way to the cooler temperature of early evening. You are contemplating whether or not to stop at this town when, from around a bend in the freeway ahead, a large group of bike-riding clansmen surges towards you.</p>
1055       <p>Panic washes over you like an icy shower as you search desperately for somewhere to hide. To your left you see a derelict construction site; to your right, a used car lot. You must act quickly if you are to avoid being seen by the oncoming riders.</p>
1056       <choice idref="sect165">If you wish to steer your car towards the construction site, <link-text>turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
1057       <choice idref="sect254">If you wish to try to hide in the used car lot, <link-text>turn to 254</link-text>.</choice>
1058      </data>
1059     </section>
1060
1061     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1062      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1063
1064      <data>
1065       <p>You drag the extinguisher from your pack and tear out the pin that locks its trigger. The heat is beginning to draw wisps of smoke from the sleeves of your leather jacket as hurriedly you take aim at the blazing bookcase. Immediately you squeeze the trigger, a cloud of carbon-dioxide quashes the flames and buys you both the few seconds you need to escape from the burning library.</p>
1066       <choice idref="sect196"><link-text>Turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
1067      </data>
1068     </section>
1069
1070     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1071      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1072
1073      <data>
1074       <p>Only heavy construction materials, such as steel girders and concrete panels, remain readily identifiable amongst the dust-covered debris that surrounds the roadster. However, after a brief search of the site, you discover a cache of tools and equipment stored in what was to have been the basement of an office block. After sifting through the cache, you separate the following items:</p>
1075       <ul>
1076        <li><typ class="item">Welding Torch</typ></li>
1077        <li><typ class="item">Oxyacetylene</typ></li>
1078        <li><typ class="item">Bolt Cutters</typ></li>
1079        <li><typ class="item">Copper Rods</typ></li>
1080       </ul>
1081       <p>If you wish to keep any of these Backpack Items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1082       <p>Having satisfied yourself that nothing else of use has been overlooked, you return to your roadster and resume your journey to San Angelo.</p>
1083       <choice idref="sect230"><link-text>Turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
1084      </data>
1085     </section>
1086
1087     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1088      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1089
1090      <data>
1091       <p>The sharp report of your rifle is echoed by the clansman<ch.apos/>s shocked scream as your bullet passes straight through his body and punches a hole in the observation window behind. He drops his knife and clutches his hands to his wound before crashing lifelessly to the floor. With fear in their eyes, the other two reach for their holstered pistols as hurriedly they back away from the guard<ch.apos/>s bloodstained body.</p>
1092       <p>Remember to deduct a round of 7.62mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.</p>
1093       <choice idref="sect335"><link-text>Turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1094      </data>
1095     </section>
1096
1097     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1098      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1099
1100      <data>
1101       <p>Sergeant Haskell is only too willing to speak to his command unit at El Paso. He gives his call sign Palmito Four Zero<ch.emdash/>and as soon as it is confirmed as valid, the El Paso garrison relays news of what is happening in their area. Parts of the city and the military reserve are under siege from HAVOC-led Mexican clansmen. They warn that Fabens is a Mexican base, and that they have barricaded the east freeway approach to that town. In closing, they tell you to contact them again if you make it through Fabens. They do not sound very optimistic.</p>
1102       <choice idref="sect80"><link-text>Turn to 80</link-text>.</choice>
1103      </data>
1104     </section>
1105
1106     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1107      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1108
1109      <data>
1110       <p>As you steer away from the pump house, you look in your mirror to see the biker speeding towards the apex of the roof. He is within a few inches of the top when it suddenly caves in beneath his front wheel and he is flung head-first over the handlebars. With a scream of terror he cartwheels through the air and lands heavily on his back at the edge of the freeway. Winded by the fall, he cannot summon enough strength to roll away as his bike comes crashing down upon him.</p>
1111       <p>Certain in the knowledge that he could not possibly have survived such a terrible crash, you return to the highway and begin the next stage of your journey to San Angelo. You join the freeway, heading south, and within a few minutes you catch sight of a town on the road ahead. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> confirms your suspicions: you are approaching Sterling City.</p>
1112       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1113      </data>
1114     </section>
1115
1116     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1117      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1118
1119      <footnotes>
1120       <footnote id="sect52-1-foot" idref="sect52-1">
1121        <p>This is the correct answer to the security valve puzzle in <a idref="sect129">Section 129</a>.</p>
1122       </footnote>
1123      </footnotes>
1124
1125      <data>
1126       <p>The valve clicks open<footref id="sect52-1" idref="sect52-1-foot"/> and the tell-tale aroma of gasolene rises from the tank to greet your nostrils. A fuel gauge on the inside edge of the valve shows you that the tank contains 125 gallons of premium unleaded gasolene, more than sufficient for your needs. When the others come to inspect your handiwork they congratulate you unstintingly.</p>
1127       <p>After filling the tank of your roadster, Sergeant Haskell and his men set about destroying the remainder of the fuel to prevent it from falling into the hands of Mad Dog Michigan<ch.apos/>s clansmen. Then, with a view of the station ablaze in your driving mirror, you set off west along Interstate 10 to keep your rendezvous with the convoy.</p>
1128       <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1129      </data>
1130     </section>
1131
1132     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1133      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1134
1135      <data>
1136       <p>Automatically you check to see that your safety catch is set on <quote>Fire</quote>. Then you take a deep breath as you get ready to make your move.</p>
1137       <choice idref="sect40">If the weapon you are holding is a Pistol, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
1138       <choice idref="sect271">If it is a Machine Pistol, <link-text>turn to 271</link-text>.</choice>
1139       <choice idref="sect181">If it is a Shotgun, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
1140       <choice idref="sect95">If it is a Rifle, <link-text>turn to 95</link-text>.</choice>
1141      </data>
1142     </section>
1143
1144     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1145      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1146
1147      <data>
1148       <p>You mistime your exit and have to brake heavily to avoid crashing into the freeway barrier. Then, as you struggle to rectify your mistake, a wave of bullets rips into the hood and punches a line of frosted holes across the windshield. One of the slugs gouges a spoonful of flesh from your shoulder before embedding itself in your driving seat: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1149       <p>Spurred on by the sudden pain, you turn your car around and accelerate up the ramp towards the bridge.</p>
1150       <choice idref="sect178"><link-text>Turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
1151      </data>
1152     </section>
1153
1154     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1155      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1156
1157      <data>
1158       <p>When eventually you regain consciousness, you feel as though you have broken every bone in your body (lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). Fortunately, your bones are still intact and, as your strength returns, you look around for some means of escaping from the shaft.</p>
1159       <p>Eventually you discover a service hatch in the roof of the elevator. The bolts undo with little resistance and you are able to lower yourself into the elevator compartment. Without power, the doors will not respond to the control buttons, but an emergency crank located in the floor allows you to wind them open by hand.</p>
1160       <p>Beyond the doors you discover the remains of a large private restaurant which, along with its kitchen, occupies most of the sub-basement level. A small <quote>fire exit</quote> sign hangs over the double doors leading to the kitchen and you head straight towards them. As you are crossing the restaurant floor, your rumbling stomach reminds you that you have yet to eat anything today. Then the thought occurs to you that there could still be some canned food in the kitchen and you resolve to search it before you leave the building.</p>
1161       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception skill score.</p>
1162       <choice idref="sect159">If your total score is now 11 or less, <link-text>turn to 159</link-text>.</choice>
1163       <choice idref="sect233">If it is 12 or more, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
1164      </data>
1165     </section>
1166
1167     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1168      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1169
1170      <data>
1171       <p>It is midday when you rejoin Interstate 10 to continue your drive west. The sun is at its height and it feels as if it has pushed the temperature to five degrees above unbearable. To save fuel you try to keep your speed below twenty-five miles per hour, even though the lack of a cooling breeze drives you to distraction.</p>
1172       <p>You were hoping to be able to scavenge some fuel in Ozona, the first town through which you were due to pass, but when you arrive there you find that it has been totally destroyed. A gently sloping mound of dust and rubble is all that remains of this town. You are forced to continue without respite, and throughout the long, hot drive, the experience of Ozona is repeated many times before you reach Bakersfield in the early evening.</p>
1173       <p>During your drive you must take three Drinks (or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points per drink missed).</p>
1174       <p>You are both tired and suffering from mild heat exhaustion, but after having at last reached a town that is still standing, you agree that you must search for fuel and water before it gets dark. As the town is divided in two by the freeway, you decide to split up and search one half each.</p>
1175       <choice idref="sect137">If you wish to search the north side of Bakersfield, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
1176       <choice idref="sect267">If you choose to search the south side of Bakersfield, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
1177      </data>
1178     </section>
1179
1180     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1181      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1182
1183      <data>
1184       <p>You are expecting a rough reception as you drive into town, but your fears are misplaced. The only inhabitants you see as you speed through Sterling City are a pack of feral cats scavenging for food amongst the debris and rotting garbage.</p>
1185       <choice idref="sect205"><link-text>Turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1186      </data>
1187     </section>
1188
1189     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1190      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1191
1192      <data>
1193       <p>After your meal you try to think where you might find some gasolene. Sergeant Haskell and his men<ch.emdash/>Marines Gunter and Knott<ch.emdash/>have searched every square inch of Fort Stockton and know that there is none to be had here.</p>
1194       <p><quote>What we need is an old road map,</quote> says Haskell. <quote>One that would show us where the freeway rest stops and gas stations in this area were located.</quote></p>
1195       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve got a map,</quote> you volunteer, and take from your jacket the map that you snatched from Mad Dog Michigan<ch.apos/>s table at the stadium in San Angelo.</p>
1196       <p><quote>Hey, where did you get this?</quote> says Haskell, as he examines the notes and other markings that have been made on the map of the United States. You tell him its origins and he scrutinizes it at length. Finally, he comments, <quote>What you<ch.apos/>ve got here is a blueprint of a major HAVOC operation to take over the country. This is one hot piece of property: it shows clan strengths, supply areas, HAVOC strongholds, controlled cities, everything<ch.emdash/>even pockets of WDL resistance on the eastern seaboard. We<ch.apos/>ve gotta get this to El Paso. If there<ch.apos/>s anything left of WDL headquarters then they must be warned about what is happening in the East.</quote></p>
1197       <p><quote>OK,</quote> you reply, uneasily, <quote>but what about fuel? My roadster has barely enough to make it another twenty miles. All we need is enough gas to get as far as Kent in time for the rendezvous with the colony. Then we can refuel from the tanker and you can catch a ride with us all the way to Fort Bliss.</quote></p>
1198       <p><quote>There<ch.apos/>s a rest stop here,</quote> replies Haskell, pointing to the map at a place on Interstate 10 that is halfway between Fort Stockton and a town called Brogado. <quote>There<ch.apos/>s no knowing if there<ch.apos/>s still any gas in its storage tanks but it<ch.apos/>s our only hope. It looks like a 25-mile-drive<ch.emdash/>do you think you can make it?</quote></p>
1199       <p><quote>I can try,</quote> you reply. <quote>Like you say, it<ch.apos/>s our only hope.</quote></p>
1200       <choice idref="sect281"><link-text>Turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1201      </data>
1202     </section>
1203
1204     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1205      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1206
1207      <data>
1208       <p>The heat of the sun hits you like a blazing hammer as you walk back to your roadster. Slowly you ease yourself into the driving seat and pause for a few moments to look at your <a idref="map">map</a>. You estimate that Sterling City is a little over thirty miles away, less than an hour<ch.apos/>s drive if the highway and your luck hold out.</p>
1209       <p>You must now take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points before you leave this ruined town, a place once known as Garden City.</p>
1210       <choice idref="sect290"><link-text>Turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1211      </data>
1212     </section>
1213
1214     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1215      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1216
1217      <data>
1218       <p>You throw yourself to the ground, and avoid being hit in the chest. However, you do not escape from the arrow altogether. It clips your leg and draws an angry red line across your thigh: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
1219       <p>At that moment your pursuer roars up the track, closely followed by the other Angelino scouts, whom you encountered at the bridge. You scream a warning to Kate as a double burst of machine gun fire strafes the palisade. The bullets pass over your back and hit the archer in the chest, dropping him in a tangled heap on the threshold of the gateway.</p>
1220       <p>You spring to your feet and rush forward to help Kate drag his body away, so that the gate can be closed. The other members of the settlement come to your aid, and, once the gate is secure, they point to the cave mouth and urge you to enter. You do not want to abandon your roadster to the Angelinos, but to stay here and attempt to fight would be suicidal. Reluctantly you leave the gate and follow them into the cave.</p>
1221       <choice idref="sect8"><link-text>Turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
1222      </data>
1223     </section>
1224
1225     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1226      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1227
1228      <data>
1229       <p>The gunfire stops and you hear the unmistakable sound of the Angelino reloading his machine pistol. Finally, he draws back its firing bolt and starts walking slowly towards your position.</p>
1230       <choice idref="sect323">If you are holding a Pistol, <link-text>turn to 323</link-text>.</choice>
1231       <choice idref="sect214">If you are holding a Machine Pistol, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
1232       <choice idref="sect116">If you are holding a Shotgun, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1233       <choice idref="sect84">If you are holding a Rifle, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
1234      </data>
1235     </section>
1236
1237     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1238      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1239
1240      <data>
1241       <p>At such close range, the blast from your shotgun virtually rips the clansman in two. (Remember to deduct a round of 12-gauge ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) With a gurgling scream he crashes down in the middle of the table before rolling lifelessly to the floor. Hurriedly the other two reach for their pistols as, with fear in their eyes, they back away from the clansman<ch.apos/>s torn and bloodstained body.</p>
1242       <choice idref="sect335"><link-text>Turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1243      </data>
1244     </section>
1245
1246     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1247      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1248
1249      <data>
1250       <p>The Mexican clansman drops lifelessly to the ground, and quickly you step forward to search his body. He was the one crew member who escaped from the truck, and in his pockets you discover the following items:</p>
1251       <ul>
1252        <li><typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ></li>
1253        <li>Enough antiseptics and sutures for two Medi-kit units</li>
1254        <li>Knife (2)</li>
1255        <li>Twelve rounds of 9mm ammunition</li>
1256       </ul>
1257       <p>If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1258       <choice idref="sect114"><link-text>Turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
1259      </data>
1260     </section>
1261
1262     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1263      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1264
1265      <data>
1266       <p>You perch yourself near the top of the wall and pick out a building on the opposite side of the killing zone: it is the ruins of a fire station. You tell Kate that, when she is running, she should focus all her thoughts and efforts on getting inside that place as quickly as she can. With the clan patrol growing ever nearer, you whisper to Kate to get ready to run.</p>
1267       <p>Add together your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score and your Stealth skill score. (Note: If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is low and you are heavily encumbered, it may be advisable to discard some of your Backpack Items in order to increase your Stealth skill level.)</p>
1268       <choice idref="sect117">If your total is 10 or less, <link-text>turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1269       <choice idref="sect295">If your total is 11-16, <link-text>turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
1270       <choice idref="sect334">If your total is 17 or more, <link-text>turn to 334</link-text>.</choice>
1271      </data>
1272     </section>
1273
1274     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1275      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1276
1277      <data>
1278       <p>Silently you draw your gun and slip off the safety catch. The clansman is less than six feet away when he sees you crouching on the dry river bed. His eyes widen and he opens his mouth to scream a warning to his partner, but it is a scream of pain that leaves his lips when you open fire at his chest. (Remember to erase the appropriate number of rounds from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1279       <p>As the clansman<ch.apos/>s body topples into the gully, you catch sight of his partner running head-down towards the bridge. He pauses to grab a machine pistol from his motorcycle before diving for cover behind one of the iron bridge supports. Seconds later he reappears and fires a stream of bullets at your position.</p>
1280       <p>You keep your head low and wait for a lull in the shooting before you break cover and return fire at the clansman.</p>
1281       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill score. For every round of fire that you wish to discharge at your opponent, add 1 point.</p>
1282       <choice idref="sect246">If your total score is now 9 or less, <link-text>turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1283       <choice idref="sect266">If your total score is now 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
1284      </data>
1285     </section>
1286
1287     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1288      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1289
1290      <data>
1291       <p>You manage to find your way back to the roadster without running into the clansmen and waste no time in making a hasty escape from Eldorado. The enemy are slow to react to your getaway and you are more than ten miles from the town before you see their headlights in your driving mirror. Your speedy escape may have wrong-footed them, but they have caught up quickly. Fearing that you will not be able to outrun them, you leave the highway and hide your roadster behind a rocky ridge that runs parallel to the road. The sound of their engines grows louder as they approach, and then fades quickly as the pack roars past, oblivious to your presence. With the immediate threat now gone, you decide to remain where you are and get a few hours sleep before continuing your journey at dawn.</p>
1292       <p>In the clear light of early morning you can see for miles across the rocky plain that surrounds the highway south of Eldorado. It appears empty, although you remain on the alert every second of your drive to Sonora, the next town marked on your <a idref="map">map</a>, for it is in this direction that the Angelinos were heading when they passed you last night. You are less than a mile from the ruins of Sonora when you are greeted by the welcome sight of Interstate 10, stretching east-to-west across your path. This is the freeway you hope will take you all the way to your rendezvous with the colony at Kent, and then on through the mountains to El Paso.</p>
1293       <p>You join the freeway and enjoy the feel of a firmer, clearer road surface beneath your wheels as you begin the long drive west. Still you can see no sign of the Angelinos, and Kate voices her hope that they have decided to search Sonora, thinking you may have hidden there last night. You want to agree with her, but suddenly, in the distance, you see something that proves her wrong.</p>
1294       <choice idref="sect306"><link-text>Turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1295      </data>
1296     </section>
1297
1298     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1299      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1300
1301      <data>
1302       <p>As the smoke thins, you see that the grenade has made very little impression on the padlock. The door is still secure and, reluctantly, you abandon your attempt at gaining entry to the building.</p>
1303       <choice idref="sect188"><link-text>Turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1304      </data>
1305     </section>
1306
1307     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1308      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1309
1310      <data>
1311       <p>You keep as still as you can and try not to breathe as a Detroit Lion clansman rummages through a tool box less than four feet from where you are hiding. Fortunately, he finds what he is looking for quickly, returns to the cab, and restarts the engine. Shortly the truck stops once again, but this time you notice that it has drawn up alongside three others in a section of the stadium that has been turned into a pits area. You slip away from the truck before the driver disembarks, and make your way through the crowds of clan mechanics and riders towards an empty section of the arena.</p>
1312       <p>From a position high among the tiers, you look down at the rows of empty seats that encircle the dusty arena and observe the preparations taking place around the perimeter track. This stadium once hosted international sporting events, many of which were televised and beamed live around the world. Now it plays host to a sporting event of a very different kind. The Angelinos have challenged the Lions to put forward four of their best riders for a twenty-lap motorcycle race around the arena. The track itself reminds you of an old film you saw when you were a child, a film about the wild chariot races that took place in Ancient Rome. Today<ch.apos/>s event is meant to be a friendly challenge to celebrate the signing of their alliance, but with clan honour at stake the race will undoubtedly be fought out in deadly earnest.</p>
1313       <illustration class="float">
1314        <meta>
1315         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1316         <description>This stadium once hosted international sporting events, now it plays host to a one of a very different kind.</description>
1317        </meta>
1318        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="772" height="558"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1319        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="1024" height="786"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1320        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="1024" height="786" />
1321       </illustration>
1322       <p>Facing you, on the far side of the stadium, is the glass-fronted observation block that was once used by television and radio commentators. Your curiosity is aroused by it when you notice that the door to this block is heavily guarded. Fixedly you stare at its full-length windows and count five occupants: four clansmen and one blonde-haired girl. You cannot see her face clearly, but you know that the girl you are looking at is Kate Norton.</p>
1323       <choice idref="sect346"><link-text>Turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
1324      </data>
1325     </section>
1326
1327     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1328      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1329
1330      <data>
1331       <p>It feels good to be able to drive once more at a speed that is faster than the brisk walking pace to which you have limited yourself over the past fifty fuel-conscious miles. It is also a great relief not to have to walk the thirty miles to Kent, for they are mostly uphill where the freeway traverses the northern slopes of the Davis Mountains. During this part of your journey you must take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1332       <p>You reach Kent late in the afternoon. At this hour the dusty little town lies in the shadow of the Apache Mountains, and, after spending hours in the relentless glare of the sun, you are thankful for the cooling shade. You have arrived a day ahead of your planned rendezvous with the convoy. The highway and surrounding area show no sign of their having arrived before you, so you decide to try to relax here while you wait for the convoy to show.</p>
1333       <choice idref="sect172"><link-text>Turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1334      </data>
1335     </section>
1336
1337     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1338      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1339
1340      <data>
1341       <p>Placing your hand under the dashboard, you pull down a handful of cables and isolate two<ch.emdash/>a red one and a black one<ch.emdash/>that are connected to the ignition lock. Quickly you rip these out and touch the exposed copper braids together. There is a bright blue spark and immediately the engine growls into life. After twisting the wires together, you throw the jeep into low gear and take off towards an open section of the perimeter wall. A wheeled screen partially blocks this access point, which is guarded by two clansmen armed with automatic assault rifles.</p>
1342       <p>You are fifteen yards from the screen when suddenly they realize that you have no intention of stopping.</p>
1343       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Driving skill score.</p>
1344       <choice idref="sect14">If your total is 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
1345       <choice idref="sect275">If your total is 5<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
1346       <choice idref="sect3">If your total is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 3</link-text>.</choice>
1347      </data>
1348     </section>
1349
1350     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1351      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1352
1353      <data>
1354       <p>The clansman<ch.apos/>s bullets whistle within inches of your head, and tear chunks of mineral from the stalagmites behind which you have dived. Razor-sharp splinters pepper your face and you skin your hands and knees as you land heavily on the jagged, unyielding stone floor: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1355       <p>Moments later the gunfire ceases and you hear the clansman utter an agonized scream. You lift your head in time to see him staggering slowly towards you, his eyes wide with pain as he works his hands frantically behind his back as if he were trying to clutch at something. Then his body stiffens, and, as he falls to the floor, you see what it was that he was trying so desperately to clasp. It is the spear-like tip of a broken stalactite, hurled from the ledge above the defile by a mortally wounded caveman in a last desperate act of defiance.</p>
1356       <p>Kate moves forward to check that the clansman is dead and to search his body. She keeps what she needs: his machine pistol, a quantity of ammunition, and his water canteen, and offers the rest of his possessions to you:</p>
1357       <ul>
1358        <li>Enough food for one Meal</li>
1359        <li>Enough sulfonamides for one Medi-kit unit</li>
1360        <li>Flick Knife (2)</li>
1361        <li><typ class="item">Compass</typ></li>
1362        <li><typ class="item">Binoculars</typ></li>
1363       </ul>
1364       <p>If you keep any of these items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1365       <p>As soon as you are ready, you retrace your way along the defile and return to the surface.</p>
1366       <choice idref="sect168"><link-text>Turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
1367      </data>
1368     </section>
1369
1370     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1371      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1372
1373      <data>
1374       <p>The mighty V-8 engine growls like an angry tiger as a quart of fuel is force-fed into the cylinders. The effect is breathtaking and immediate: the roadster surges forward and you feel as if you are being sucked into your driving seat as it gathers speed rapidly.</p>
1375       <p>For a few vital seconds the thrill of the acceleration distracts your attention from the panel truck. By mischance the vehicle reaches the bottom of the embankment, glances off a heap of debris, and is sent spinning wildly across the freeway. Your heart leaps into your mouth the moment you see it appear directly in your way.</p>
1376       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Driving skill score.</p>
1377       <choice idref="sect273">If your total is now 4 or less, <link-text>turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
1378       <choice idref="sect156">If it is 5 or more, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
1379      </data>
1380     </section>
1381
1382     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1383      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1384
1385      <data>
1386       <p>Haskell continues to question the clansman until finally he replies. A trickle of blood escapes from his lips as, with his dying breath, he says: <quote>Mad Dog<ch.apos/>ll make sure you never get through<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
1387       <choice idref="sect147"><link-text>Turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
1388      </data>
1389     </section>
1390
1391     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1392      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1393
1394      <data>
1395       <p>The sound of their engines is getting louder with every passing second and yet you are unable to find a safe way down to the river bed<ch.emdash/>it is far too steep. Desperately, you drive back and forth along the edge of the bank until a volley of shots echoes across the plain and the first of the clansmen<ch.apos/>s bullets start to whistle past. You have been seen.</p>
1396       <p>Quickly you abandon your attempt to hide and steer your roadster back onto the freeway in a frantic bid to outrun the pack. The fastest bikes give chase and relentlessly they pursue you until the leader is within twenty yards of your tail. With mounting fear, you glance in your rear-view mirror to see him draw a stubby-barrelled weapon from a tube strapped to the fuel tank. At first you think it is a sawn-off shotgun, but then you recognize the weapon and your heart sinks. It is a D-40<ch.emdash/>a laser sighted grenade launcher. You see the muzzle flash, and then moments later there is a deafening explosion. The last sensation you feel is that of being hurled skyward, surrounded by fire and fragments of your roadster.</p>
1397       <deadend>The armour-piercing grenade has penetrated the trunk and exploded the spare fuel tanks you were carrying. Tragically, your mission and your life end here.</deadend>
1398      </data>
1399     </section>
1400
1401     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1402      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1403
1404      <data>
1405       <p>A battered Chevrolet pick-up is parked with its hood raised at one of the station<ch.apos/>s four gasolene pumps. It looks far cleaner than any of the other auto wrecks that lie scattered around the town, and your suspicions are further aroused when you notice a large black pool of oil on the ground beneath the engine compartment. You stop your roadster alongside and step out to investigate it.</p>
1406       <p><quote>Hey, this oil<ch.apos/>s still wet,</quote> you say to Kate, as you dab your index finger in the pool. You are wiping it clean on the leg of your jeans when you hear an unexpected reply. <quote>Drop your weapons<ch.ellips/>or I<ch.apos/>ll drop you!</quote></p>
1407       <p>It is a man<ch.apos/>s voice and it is coming from inside a derelict pay booth.</p>
1408       <choice idref="sect241">If you wish to obey the command, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1409       <choice idref="sect164">If you decide to dive for cover, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
1410      </data>
1411     </section>
1412
1413     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1414      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1415
1416      <data>
1417       <p>You help Kate to her feet and check that her windpipe has not been damaged by the clansman<ch.apos/>s attack. Her throat is badly bruised, and although you can tell she is in great discomfort, stoically she ignores the pain and suggests that you both get out of here before the dead man<ch.apos/>s confederates turn up. After stooping to snatch his pistol, she follows closely in your wake as you hurry south towards the ruins of the Sears megamarket.</p>
1418       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1419      </data>
1420     </section>
1421
1422     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1423      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1424
1425      <data>
1426       <p>At your killing blow, your adversary drops in a limp and lifeless heap at your feet. Meanwhile, his confederate has run back to his motorcycle and armed himself with a machine pistol. You dive aside just in time to avoid his first burst of fire, and, as you scurry for cover, you retrieve the pistol that you had kicked from his dead partner<ch.apos/>s hand.</p>
1427       <p>With a vengeful scream, the clansman comes running at you, firing his machine pistol from the hip. Bullets tear up the ground where you lie, forcing you to stand up and meet this madman head on. Quickly you cock the pistol and take aim at his chest as he comes bounding across the rock-strewn highway, his teeth bared and his eyes blazing with hatred.</p>
1428       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Shooting skill score.</p>
1429       <choice idref="sect151">If your total score is now 6 or less, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
1430       <choice idref="sect138">If your total is now 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1431      </data>
1432     </section>
1433
1434     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1435      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1436
1437      <data>
1438       <p>You hand the rounds to Kate (remember to erase these from your Ammo Pouch) before you start work on changing the damaged front wheel. Quickly she reloads her pistol as the clan scout leader, believing that you are now out of ammunition, comes riding across the river, howling curses and whirling a heavy motorcycle chain in his left hand. The moment her gun is ready, she takes aim and silences the screaming Angelino with a single shot to the heart. The sight of him crashing into the river stuns the remaining clansmen just long enough for you to complete your wheel change and jump back into the car.</p>
1439       <p>As you reach the top of the bank and speed away towards the distant highway, you glance over your shoulder to see the scouts retrieving their leader<ch.apos/>s body from the South Concho River.</p>
1440       <choice idref="sect249"><link-text>Turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
1441      </data>
1442     </section>
1443
1444     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1445      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1446
1447      <data>
1448       <p>You discover that the light is seeping into the tunnel from around the edges of a circular metal hatch in the ceiling. Carefully you press your shoulder to the heavy plate and lift it, hoping that it will lead to a way out of the stadium. However, the first things you see as you push the cover from the hole are scores of running, booted feet.</p>
1449       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score.</p>
1450       <choice idref="sect263">If the total score is 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 263</link-text>.</choice>
1451       <choice idref="sect173">If the total score is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 173</link-text>.</choice>
1452      </data>
1453     </section>
1454
1455     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1456      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1457
1458      <data>
1459       <p>News of the radio contact with El Paso is relayed to the rest of the convoy. It is decided that the barricade at Fabens should be scouted before any attempt at a breakthrough is made. As convoy scout, the mission automatically falls to you, but in view of the increased danger you are likely to face, Sergeant Haskell volunteers to accompany you.</p>
1460       <p>Before you leave you are given the opportunity to replenish your Ammo Pouch with rounds donated by the other colonists:</p>
1461       <ul>
1462        <li>Five rounds of 7.62mm-calibre ammunition</li>
1463        <li>Nine rounds of 9mm-calibre ammunition</li>
1464        <li>Four rounds of 12-gauge ammunition</li>
1465       </ul>
1466       <p>You may take only one of these calibres. When you have made your choice, remember to amend your Ammo Pouch record accordingly.</p>
1467       <choice idref="sect134"><link-text>Turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
1468      </data>
1469     </section>
1470
1471     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1472      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1473
1474      <data>
1475       <p>The wheels and tyres squeal as you stand on the brake pedal in a desperate but futile attempt to halt the skidding roadster. Then, with a shuddering jolt, the car slams sideways into the service bay door and comes to an abrupt halt. The reinforced passenger door withstands much of the impact, but the crash leaves you concussed and badly bruised (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
1476       <p>Wincing from the pain of your injuries, you try to keep as still as possible as the pack of clansmen, fifty riders strong, roars past the lot. Soon they have gone and, despite your pain, your spirits are raised by the thought that there will now be at least fifty fewer of Mad Dog<ch.apos/>s men to face when you reach San Angelo.</p>
1477       <p>After satisfying yourself that the damage to your roadster is superficial, you cast your eyes around the derelict car lot.</p>
1478       <choice idref="sect124">If you wish to search the lot, <link-text>turn to 124</link-text>.</choice>
1479       <choice idref="sect342">If you wish to leave and continue your journey to San Angelo, <link-text>turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
1480      </data>
1481     </section>
1482
1483     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1484      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1485
1486      <data>
1487       <p>You press your lenses to your eyes and focus on the distant ridge. Two men are climbing towards the crest of Black Peak, and although you cannot identify them, you can see that they are carrying rifles. They reach the crest, pause briefly to stare at the freeway, and then continue across to the far side and disappear from sight.</p>
1488       <p>You return to your roadster and keep a watchful eye on the ridge as you wait for the convoy to close up the gap. Then, when the vehicles are once again visible in your driving mirror, you continue along the freeway. Anxiously you expect an ambush to take place at any time, but, in spite of your fears, an attack does not materialize.</p>
1489       <p>At length you see the stores and houses of Van Horn appear on the road ahead. The town looks deserted but you decide to take no chances. You bring the convoy to a halt within a mile of the town limits and, accompanied by Sergeant Haskell, you leave your roadster and enter on foot to check that it is safe for the convoy to pass through.</p>
1490       <p>The tumbledown buildings are deathly quiet as you walk along the main street of Van Horn, and you notice nothing out of the ordinary until you reach a bar near the centre of the town. A motorcycle is parked beside the entrance, its fuel tank emblazoned with the ace-of-spades emblem of the Mavericks clan. You decide to search the bar and, if possible, try to capture and question the bike<ch.apos/>s owner. Haskell suggests that it would be a good idea if one of you were to enter by the rear door and you nod in agreement.</p>
1491
1492        <illustration class="inline">
1493         <meta>
1494          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1495         </meta>
1496         <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1497         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1498         <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1499        </illustration>
1500
1501       <choice idref="sect131">If you wish to enter the bar from the rear, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
1502       <choice idref="sect13">If you choose to enter the bar through the front door, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1503      </data>
1504     </section>
1505
1506     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1507      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1508
1509      <data>
1510       <p>A sharp, burning pain erupts in your right calf as a bullet, fired from below, hits you and gouges a furrow of flesh from the back of your leg: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1511       <p>Gritting your teeth, you hobble to the end of the gantry, to where a covered staircase leads down to the vast area located below the stadium tiers. Kate helps you as best she can by supporting your weight, but you are bleeding heavily and you are soon forced to stop for fear of fainting.</p>
1512       <choice idref="sect320">If you possess at least one Medi-kit unit, <link-text>turn to 320</link-text>.</choice>
1513       <choice idref="sect135">If you have no Medi-kit units left, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
1514      </data>
1515     </section>
1516
1517     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1518      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1519
1520      <data>
1521       <p>You force yourself to breathe slowly in an attempt to calm your racing heart. The clansman<ch.apos/>s footsteps seem unbearably loud as you wait for the right moment to launch your ambush. With sweating palms, you lift your rifle, and then, as he comes to a halt, you rise up from your hiding place, aim, and fire.</p>
1522       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting skill score.</p>
1523       <choice idref="sect292">If your total score is 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
1524       <choice idref="sect18">If your total score is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1525      </data>
1526     </section>
1527
1528     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1529      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1530
1531      <data>
1532       <p>All the houses and stores of this forgotten town have collapsed long ago, all, that is, except for two. Both of these sorry, sand-blown shells stand on either side of an alley at the edge of town, and it is here that you decide to park your roadster. Quickly you discover that the buildings were once a hardware store and a tiny, one-pump gas station.</p>
1533
1534        <illustration class="inline">
1535         <meta>
1536          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1537         </meta>
1538         <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1539         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1540         <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1541        </illustration>
1542
1543       <choice idref="sect141">If you wish to investigate the derelict hardware store, <link-text>turn to 141</link-text>.</choice>
1544       <choice idref="sect183">If you wish to take a closer look at the gas station, <link-text>turn to 183</link-text>.</choice>
1545      </data>
1546     </section>
1547
1548     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1549      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1550
1551      <data>
1552       <p>You turn the handle and gently push open the door. You have taken but one step into the kitchen when a large glass storage jar falls from a shelf above your head and smashes down on your unprotected skull: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1553       <p>Wincing from the pain of your wound, you notice that the jar was attached by a thin cord to the inside handle of the door: it had been placed there deliberately. Not only have you lost some blood, but this primitive trap may have also lost you the element of surprise.</p>
1554       <p>With your nerves on edge, you advance through the kitchen and into the bar beyond. As you enter, you whisper Haskell<ch.apos/>s name in case, in the darkened interior, he mistakes you for a clansman.</p>
1555       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception and Stealth skill scores.</p>
1556       <choice idref="sect270">If the total score is 13 or less, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
1557       <choice idref="sect190">If the total score is 14 or more, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
1558      </data>
1559     </section>
1560
1561     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1562      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1563
1564      <data>
1565       <p>With numbing force, you slam the coyote<ch.apos/>s head against the dashboard and fracture its skull. Immediately, its jaws slacken and Kate is able to pull the creature away by the scruff of its neck and bundle it out of the car. You are shaken but uninjured by the attack, the thickness of your leather sleeve having protected you from the coyote<ch.apos/>s fangs. Quickly you regain full control of the roadster and steer it with consummate ease towards the Christoval bridge.</p>
1566       <choice idref="sect324"><link-text>Turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
1567      </data>
1568     </section>
1569
1570     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1571      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1572
1573      <data>
1574       <p>The cabin door is unlocked. With the toe of your boot you push it open and cast a sceptical eye over the debris that lies within. The hut was once used to store all the food mart<ch.apos/>s routine paper documentation, most of which now lies scattered across the floor.</p>
1575       <choice idref="sect22">If you wish to sift through the documents, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
1576       <choice idref="sect204">If you choose to abandon the hut and continue your search elsewhere, <link-text>turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
1577      </data>
1578     </section>
1579
1580     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1581      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1582
1583      <data>
1584       <p>To avoid being seen by the two guards, you slip inside a doorway to your left and discover that it leads to an empty locker room. Having already removed the signal flare from your pack, you glance quickly into the corridor in order to establish where the guards are standing. Then you hold the flare out at arm<ch.apos/>s length, point it in their direction, and pull its ignition cord. (Remember to erase this item from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
1585       <p>In the confines of the corridor the flare erupts with devastating effect, its crimson smoke and hissing flame blinding and choking the two clan bodyguards. You grab a towel, which is hanging behind the door, and use it to cover your mouth as you run down the smoke-filled corridor. When you reach the stairs, the clansmen are incapable of defending themselves and you silence them swiftly with a close combat weapon. You are halfway up the stairs when you see the door to the observation block start to open.</p>
1586       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1587      </data>
1588     </section>
1589
1590     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1591      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1592
1593      <data>
1594       <p>It takes all night for you to dismantle, cut, re-align, and weld the damaged chassis. It is a difficult task, made even more so by fatigue, but the lessons you learnt when you helped Cutter to build this roadster over six months ago now prove invaluable. You work continuously, taking a break only when Kate sights a pack of Angelinos to the north. You turn off your torch and watch from the cover of the rocks as they pass along the highway heading south. Then, once they have disappeared, you resume the daunting task of repairing the crash damage.</p>
1595       <p>It is an hour after dawn when the repairs are finally completed. In the clear light of early morning you can see for miles across the rocky plain that surrounds the highway south of Eldorado. It appears empty, although you remain on the alert every second of your drive to Sonora, the next town marked on your <a idref="map">map</a>, for it is in this direction that the Angelinos were heading when they passed you last night. You are less than a mile from the ruins of Sonora when you are greeted by the welcome sight of Interstate 10, stretching east-to-west across your path. This is the freeway you hope will take you all the way to your rendezvous with the colony at Kent, and then on through the mountains to El Paso.</p>
1596       <p>You join the freeway and enjoy the feel of a firmer, clearer road surface beneath your wheels as you begin the long drive west. Still you can see no sign of the Angelinos, and Kate voices her hope that they have decided to search Sonora, thinking you may have hidden there last night. You want to agree with her, but suddenly, in the distance, you see something that proves her wrong.</p>
1597       <choice idref="sect306"><link-text>Turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1598      </data>
1599     </section>
1600
1601     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1602      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1603
1604      <data>
1605       <p>The moment you strike your killing blow, a loud cheer fills the stadium. Ricky Riot, the top Angelinos rider, has just crossed the line and won the motorcycle race. Mekong Mike curses you with his dying breath and, as he falls to the floor, you suddenly realize that Mad Dog Michigan is watching you from the opposite side of the map table. He finishes speaking into a radio handset and then, with a cruel sneer, levels his pistol, taking deliberate aim at your head. He is about to squeeze the trigger when Kate appears behind him with a wooden stool clutched unsteadily in her hands. With one fell stroke she smashes it down upon his head, leaving him sprawled unconscious on the floor.</p>
1606       <illustration class="float">
1607        <meta>
1608         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1609         <description>With one fell stroke Kate smashes the stool down upon Mad Dog Michigan<ch.apos/>s head.</description>
1610        </meta>
1611        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="625"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1612        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="626"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1613        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="626" />
1614       </illustration>
1615       <choice idref="sect45"><link-text>Turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
1616      </data>
1617     </section>
1618
1619     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1620      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1621
1622      <data>
1623       <p>You dive and roll behind an auto wreck for cover. As you come to a halt, a second shot rings out and a puff of dust rises from the road near the place where you first landed. Angered by this attempt to kill you, and by the heart-rending moans of wounded Marine Gunter, you decide to flush this sniper out and even the score. Kate and the others are pinned down on the other side of the street and cannot move without exposing themselves to the sniper<ch.apos/>s sights. Only you can reach the drug store entrance with some degree of cover.</p>
1624       <p>When a third shot hits the helpless Gunter, your anger explodes. Despite Kate<ch.apos/>s pleas to stay down, you spring to your feet and sprint towards the drug store entrance.</p>
1625       <choice idref="sect338"><link-text>Turn to 338</link-text>.</choice>
1626      </data>
1627     </section>
1628
1629     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1630      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1631
1632      <data>
1633       <p>There is a loud cheer as the stadium gate opens, and then the waiting bikers start up their machines and begin entering in single file. Amid all this activity you leave your hiding place and cross the wide avenue that encircles the stadium. None of the clansmen appears to notice as you walk boldly around to the east side of the arena, to a place where a large section of the wall has collapsed, leaving a heap of rubble that rises to within ten feet of the remaining wall. The coast is clear and so, with the blood pounding loudly in your ears, you clamber to the top of the heap and attempt to scale the wall.</p>
1634       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score.</p>
1635       <choice idref="sect315">If your total score is now 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
1636       <choice idref="sect261">If it is 9 or more, <link-text>turn to 261</link-text>.</choice>
1637      </data>
1638     </section>
1639
1640     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1641      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1642
1643      <data>
1644       <p>You walk around the building and notice that it has no windows or other means of access. Nothing hints at what is stored inside, and the more you consider it, the more intrigued you become.</p>
1645       <choice idref="sect221">If you possess a <typ class="item">Flexible Saw</typ> and wish to use it to try to cut through the padlock, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
1646       <choice idref="sect236">If you possess an <typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ> and wish to use it to blow open the doors, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
1647       <choice idref="sect188">If you choose to ignore the building and its unknown contents and search elsewhere, <link-text>turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1648      </data>
1649     </section>
1650
1651     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1652      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1653
1654      <data>
1655       <p>Simultaneously you step into the corridor and raise your rifle to your shoulder. The guard to the left of the staircase sees you but has no time to shout a warning before your bullet finds its mark. (Remember to deduct a round of 7.62mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) He spins backwards and falls heavily at the foot of the stairs as you work another round into the breach. Then you swing the barrel towards his partner, knowing only too well that you must make your second shot count just as effectively, but by the time you have him in your sights you are shocked to find that you are staring into the muzzle of his machine pistol.</p>
1656       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score and your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
1657       <choice idref="sect297">If your total score is 19 or less, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
1658       <choice idref="sect197">If your total score is 20 or more, <link-text>turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
1659      </data>
1660     </section>
1661
1662     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1663      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1664
1665      <data>
1666       <p>The man stares at you with fear in his eyes. He is on the brink of releasing the bowstring when your pursuer comes roaring up the track, closely followed by the other Angelino scouts. You scream a warning to Kate and throw yourself down as a double burst of machine gun fire strafes the palisade. The bullets pass over your head and hit the archer in the chest, dropping him in a tangled heap on the threshold of the gateway.</p>
1667       <p>You spring to your feet and rush forward to help Kate drag his body away so that the gate can be closed. The other members of the settlement come to your aid, and, once the gate is secure, they point to the cave mouth and urge you to enter. You do not want to abandon your roadster to the Angelinos, but to stay here and attempt to fight would be suicidal. Reluctantly you leave the gate and follow them into the cave.</p>
1668       <choice idref="sect8"><link-text>Turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
1669      </data>
1670     </section>
1671
1672     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1673      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1674
1675      <data>
1676       <p>The biker laughs as he opens fire. Vivid yellow muzzle flashes and a stream of empty cartridge cases pour from the side of his assault rifle. Then the bullets strike home, punching a line of frosted holes through the toughened windshield. Fragments of flying glass graze your face {lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) but miraculously the bullets fail to find you. He empties his entire magazine into the front of your roadster yet still it comes screaming towards him. Horrified, he fumbles to reload his weapon, but before he can do so, he is hit by your front fender and sent spinning over the side of the bridge.</p>
1677       <p>Meanwhile, his confederate has managed to start his bike and is now racing across to the other side. You wrench the gear shift into low and give chase, determined to prevent him from warning Mad Dog Michigan that you are coming to pay the Lions an unexpected visit. Beyond the bridge, you chase the biker up a steep incline to the top of a ridge. As you crest the top, you see him gunning his machine towards Freeway 87, less than half a mile away.</p>
1678       <choice idref="sect327">If you wish to draw a missile weapon and fire at the biker while you are pursuing him, <link-text>turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
1679       <choice idref="sect199">If you wish to try to ram him off the road, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
1680      </data>
1681     </section>
1682
1683     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1684      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1685
1686      <data>
1687       <p>Uncle Jonas hands you a Signal Flare to use once the breach has been blown. You tell the others to watch for your flare. When they see it, they are to start their engines, drive through the Fabens barricade in breakout formation, and not stop until they reach El Paso.</p>
1688       <choice idref="sect345"><link-text>Turn to 345</link-text>.</choice>
1689      </data>
1690     </section>
1691
1692     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1693      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1694
1695      <data>
1696       <p>You watch tensely as the bikers ride into the town. You give a silent prayer that they will pass through Eldorado without stopping, and, to your relief, your prayer is answered. With the immediate threat gone, you decide to remain where you are and get a few hours<ch.apos/> sleep before waking Kate and continuing your journey at dawn.</p>
1697       <p>In the clear light of early morning you can see for miles across the rocky plain that surrounds the highway south of Eldorado. Although it appears empty, you remain on the alert every second of your drive to Sonora, the next town marked on your <a idref="map">map</a>, for it is in this direction that the Angelinos were heading when they rode through Eldorado last night. You are less than a mile from the ruins of Sonora when you are greeted by the welcome sight of Interstate 10, stretching east-to-west across your path. This is the freeway you hope will take you all the way to your rendezvous with the colony at Kent, and then on through the mountains to El Paso.</p>
1698       <p>You join the freeway and enjoy the feel of a firmer, clearer road surface beneath your wheels as you begin the long drive west. Still you can see no sign of the Angelinos, and Kate voices her hope that they have decided to search Sonora, thinking you may have hidden there last night. You want to agree with her, but suddenly, in the distance, you see something that proves her wrong.</p>
1699       <choice idref="sect306"><link-text>Turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1700      </data>
1701     </section>
1702
1703     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1704      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1705
1706      <data>
1707       <p>What little of Sterling City that survived the icy, post-holocaust years has long since been gutted or looted by gangs of roving clansmen. Many have left their mark, sprayed on the sides of auto wrecks or scrawled in jagged letters across warehouse walls.</p>
1708       <p>You bring your roadster to a halt and survey the ruins for some sign of life. The place reminds you of the city punk zones of Fort Worth, and, as you scour the shadowy doorways, an uneasy feeling grows in the pit of your stomach.</p>
1709       <choice idref="sect57">If you wish to stay on the freeway and drive through Sterling City, <link-text>turn to 57</link-text>.</choice>
1710       <choice idref="sect285">If you decide to leave the freeway and make a detour around the town, <link-text>turn to 285</link-text>.</choice>
1711      </data>
1712     </section>
1713
1714     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1715      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1716
1717      <data>
1718       <p>A search of the dead Angelino<ch.apos/>s body reveals the following items:</p>
1719       <ul>
1720        <li>Pistol</li>
1721        <li>Eight rounds of 9mm ammunition</li>
1722        <li>Enough antibiotics for one Medi-kit unit</li>
1723        <li>Water Canteen (containing enough water for two Drinks)</li>
1724        <li>Enough food for one Meal</li>
1725        <li>Knife (2)</li>
1726        <li><typ class="item">Goggles</typ></li>
1727       </ul>
1728       <p>Parked beside the entrance to the store, from where the Angelino first appeared, you discover his motorcycle. You use it to transport Kate and the welding equipment back to your roadster and immediately set to work on repairing the damage. It takes all night for you to dismantle, cut, re-align, and weld the damaged chassis. It is a difficult task, made even more so by fatigue, but the lessons you learnt when you helped Cutter to build this roadster over six months ago prove invaluable.</p>
1729       <p>You work continuously, and it is not until an hour after dawn that the repairs are finally completed. In the clear light of early morning you can see for miles across the rocky plain that surrounds the highway south of Eldorado. It appears empty, although you remain on the alert every second of your drive to Sonora, the next town marked on your <a idref="map">map</a>, for it is in this direction that the Angelinos were heading when they passed you last night. You are less than a mile from the ruins of Sonora when you are greeted by the welcome sight of Interstate 10, stretching east-to-west across your path. This is the freeway you hope will take you all the way to your rendezvous with the colony at Kent, and then on through the mountains to El Paso.</p>
1730       <p>You join the freeway and enjoy the feel of a firmer, clearer road surface beneath your wheels as you begin the long drive west. Still you can see no sign of the Angelinos, and Kate voices her hope that they have decided to search Sonora, thinking you may have hidden there last night. You want to agree with her, but suddenly, in the distance, you see something that proves her wrong.</p>
1731       <choice idref="sect306"><link-text>Turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1732      </data>
1733     </section>
1734
1735     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1736      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1737
1738      <data>
1739       <p>Their eyes widen with a mixture of awe and avarice when you produce the bottle of bourbon from your Backpack. Greedily, the short clansman snatches it from your hands and takes a large gulp of the liquor. Then his partner takes a swig, replaces the cap, and grins delightedly.</p>
1740       <p><quote>You jus<ch.apos/> bought yourself a grandstand seat, fella,</quote> he says, slipping the bottle inside a satchel he carries slung over his shoulder. His companion eyes him with distrust, and begrudgingly he agrees to help you into the stadium. Once more you climb the pile of rubble, but this time you are accompanied by the two clansmen. They help you over the wall and then return to the avenue, chuckling and celebrating their good fortune.</p>
1741       <p>From a position high among the tiers, you look down at the rows of empty seats that encircle the dusty arena and observe the preparations taking place around the perimeter track. This stadium once hosted international sporting events, many of which were televised and beamed live around the world. Now it plays host to a sporting event of a very different kind. The Angelinos have challenged the Lions to put forward four of their best riders for a twenty-lap motorcycle race around the arena. The track itself reminds you of an old film you saw when you were a child, a film about the wild chariot races that took place in Ancient Rome. Today<ch.apos/>s event is meant to be a friendly challenge to celebrate the signing of their alliance, but with clan honour at stake the race will undoubtedly be fought out in deadly earnest.</p>
1742       <p>Facing you, on the far side of the stadium, is the glass-fronted observation block that was once used by television and radio commentators. Your curiosity is aroused by it when you notice that the door to the block is heavily guarded. Fixedly you stare at its full-length windows and count five occupants: four clansmen and one blonde-haired girl. You cannot see her face clearly, but you know that the girl you are looking at is Kate Norton.</p>
1743       <choice idref="sect346"><link-text>Turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
1744      </data>
1745     </section>
1746
1747     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1748      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1749
1750      <data>
1751       <p>Your gunfire hits the sniper in the chest and flings him against the wall. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.) With a gurgling groan, he slides to the floor and rolls over onto his crimson-stained stomach, his rifle still clutched in his hands. (If you wish to keep this weapon, you discover that it contains eight rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.)</p>
1752       <p>You shout an <quote>all clear</quote> to the others in the street below and then turn to leave.</p>
1753       <choice idref="sect239"><link-text>Turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
1754      </data>
1755     </section>
1756
1757     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1758      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1759
1760      <data>
1761       <p>A bullet smacks into the passenger door and another ricochets loudly off the hardened steel plates that protect the headrest and back of your driving seat. The sound makes you flinch involuntarily, but you suppress your fear and force yourself to concentrate. You take your foot off the gas as you turn the ignition switch, despite an almost overwhelming urge to stamp the pedal straight through the floor. Too much gas would flood the engine for sure, leaving you stranded, a sitting duck for those Mavericks who are now beginning to close in on all sides.</p>
1762       <p>Your restraint pays off; the engine roars into life and within seconds you are accelerating away from the barricade, your eyes glued firmly on the convoy<ch.apos/>s tail lights. A few poorly aimed bullets chase your escape but you soon catch up with the school bus and pass beyond the range of the Maverick<ch.apos/>s guns.</p>
1763       <choice idref="sect312"><link-text>Turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
1764      </data>
1765     </section>
1766
1767     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1768      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1769
1770      <data>
1771       <p>The only hope you have of repairing your crippled roadster is to return to Eldorado and search all the derelict garages and service stations for some welding equipment. Tired and dejected, you abandon the car and begin the long walk back to town. You have covered less than a mile when, to your dismay, you see a line of motorcycle headlights approaching.</p>
1772       <p>Add your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score to your Perception skill score.</p>
1773       <choice idref="sect262">If your total score is 24 or less, <link-text>turn to 262</link-text>.</choice>
1774       <choice idref="sect184">If your total is 25 or more, <link-text>turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
1775      </data>
1776     </section>
1777
1778     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1779      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1780
1781      <data>
1782       <p>News of your escape into the southern ruins of San Angelo is relayed to Mad Dog Michigan. Already he has told the Angelinos that you have assassinated their leader and, in the prevailing emergency, he has appointed himself their new commander. He orders the Angelinos to saturate the southern sector and to kill both of you on sight.</p>
1783       <p>You manage to reach the megamarket without further clan encounters, and are relieved to find that your roadster has remained undisturbed since you left it this morning. It takes a few frustrating minutes to start the engine, but as soon as it is running smoothly you leave San Angelo as fast as you can, heading south on the remains of Highway 277.</p>
1784       <p>While you are driving, you must take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1785       <choice idref="sect211"><link-text>Turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1786      </data>
1787     </section>
1788
1789     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1790      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1791
1792      <data>
1793       <p>At such close range, your burst of automatic fire lifts the heavy clansman clean off his feet. He screams, and with a crash he lands on his back in the middle of the table, before rolling lifelessly to the floor. The other two reach for their pistols as hurriedly they back away from the clansman<ch.apos/>s bloodstained body.</p>
1794       <p>Remember to deduct six rounds of 9mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.</p>
1795       <choice idref="sect335"><link-text>Turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1796      </data>
1797     </section>
1798
1799     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1800      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1801
1802      <data>
1803       <p>You swerve and accelerate to avoid the missile, and it hits the ground a few feet behind the trunk of your roadster. The blast takes your breath away, but you recover quickly and bring your car under control with consummate skill. In your mirror you see the convoy coming under small-arms fire, but it is light and sporadic and it claims no victims. Soon you are all safely out of the battle zone and racing away from the Slaughter Mountain run towards Sierra Blanca.</p>
1804       <choice idref="sect260"><link-text>Turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
1805      </data>
1806     </section>
1807
1808     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1809      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1810
1811      <data>
1812       <p>With a light to help you, it is easy to follow the thick power cables that line the walls of the service tunnel. For fifteen minutes you walk without interruption until you reach a wider section where a ladder ascends to a circular steel hatch fitted flush to the tunnel ceiling. Kate suggests that it could be worth investigating, and you lift up the heavy steel cover carefully and look out. Kate was right: the sight that greets you is the entrance gate to the Reagan Memorial Stadium.</p>
1813       <p>After waiting until there is little clan activity in the immediate area, you emerge from the shaft and make your way quickly into the ruins of the southern central sector of the San Angelo stronghold.</p>
1814       <choice idref="sect305"><link-text>Turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
1815      </data>
1816     </section>
1817
1818     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1819      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1820
1821      <data>
1822       <p>Kate catches you as you emerge from the library and pulls you a safe distance away. Moments later, the roof of the library collapses with a loud, splintering <onomatopoeia>crack</onomatopoeia>, and clouds of sparks whirl into the night, carried upward by the strong, gusting wind. Silently you look at Kate<ch.apos/>s smoke-blackened face, and then at the blazing library, and you realize just how lucky you both are to have got out of that inferno alive.</p>
1823       <p>By the time you recover fully from your ordeal and return to your roadster, the storm has blown itself out. The eastern sky is lightening as dawn approaches, and you decide to leave Bakersfield now, before the sun rises and the temperature becomes unbearable. Beyond the town, the freeway climbs steadily towards a distant line of mountains that shimmer on the horizon. You keep your speed as low as possible and cover forty miles with your fuel gauge nudging the zero mark. Then the silhouette of Fort Stockton appears on the road ahead and your hopes of finding some gas are rekindled.</p>
1824
1825        <illustration class="inline">
1826         <meta>
1827          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1828         </meta>
1829         <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1830         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1831         <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1832        </illustration>
1833
1834       <p>The first thing you see upon entering the town is a gas station. Like everything else, the station appears deserted, but there is something about this building that makes your skin prickle with presentiment.</p>
1835       <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
1836      </data>
1837     </section>
1838
1839     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
1840      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
1841
1842      <data>
1843       <p>The scorched bones of a coyote lie scattered around the ashes of the campfire, the remnants of the meal that you watched the two clansmen share. Where their motorcycles were parked you discover a <typ class="item">Leather Face Mask</typ>. If you decide to keep this item, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1844       <p>Satisfied that nothing of importance has been missed, you return to your roadster and begin the next stage of your journey to San Angelo. Less than a mile beyond the bridge you see a deserted stretch of Freeway 87. You join the freeway, heading south, and within a few minutes you catch sight of a town on the road ahead. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> confirms your suspicions: you are approaching Sterling City.</p>
1845       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1846      </data>
1847     </section>
1848
1849     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
1850      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
1851
1852      <data>
1853       <p>You abandon your cover and shadow the two clansmen as they circle around to the rear. An old tyre rack propped against the side of a derelict car wash offers you a good defensive position, and quickly you scurry towards it. You reach the rack in time to see the Lions halt. For a moment they duck out of sight, but soon they reappear and come running half-crouched with guns at the ready, towards your newfound hiding place.</p>
1854       <choice idref="sect27">If the weapon you are using is a Pistol, <link-text>turn to 27</link-text>.</choice>
1855       <choice idref="sect142">If the weapon you are using is a Machine Pistol, <link-text>turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
1856       <choice idref="sect319">If the weapon you are using is a Shotgun, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
1857       <choice idref="sect10">If the weapon you are using is a Rifle, <link-text>turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
1858      </data>
1859     </section>
1860
1861     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
1862      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
1863
1864      <data>
1865       <p>Your shout is met by silence. You are about to repeat it when a burst of machine gun fire rings out and six ragged holes suddenly appear in the centre of the kitchen door.</p>
1866       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1867       <choice idref="sect322">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>1, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
1868       <choice idref="sect256">If it is 2<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1869       <choice idref="sect23">If it is 6<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1870      </data>
1871     </section>
1872
1873     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
1874      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
1875
1876      <data>
1877       <p>You start your car and steer it back onto the freeway towards Fabens. Ten minutes later, you see the town in the distance, and once more you hide your roadster in the yucca forest before going forward to scout the clan-held town.</p>
1878       <p>A formidable barricade has been thrown across the freeway approach. It consists of auto wrecks filled with earth and broken chunks of concrete, stacked three deep. It would be virtually impossible for the convoy to break through this barrier. On the perimeter of the town, the Mexicans have dug pits to entrap any vehicles attempting to bypass the barricade. It looks hopeless, but if you are to reach El Paso, you must find a way through this freeway defence.</p>
1879       <p>After observing the barricade at some length, Sergeant Haskell evolves a plan to blow a hole in it that is large enough to allow the convoy through in its entirety. You return to Fort Hancock and inform the colony of the plan. Then a message is sent to El Paso, requesting that they be ready and waiting to receive you once you break through.</p>
1880       <choice idref="sect294">If you possess a <typ class="item">Signal Flare</typ>, <link-text>turn to 294</link-text>.</choice>
1881       <choice idref="sect98">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 98</link-text>.</choice>
1882      </data>
1883     </section>
1884
1885     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
1886      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
1887
1888      <data>
1889       <p>You hold your breath and try not to move as the clansman rummages through a tool box less than four feet from where you are crouching. Unfortunately, the dust he is stirring up causes you to sneeze, betraying your presence. Suddenly, one of the gasolene drums is rolled aside and you feel two strong hands grab your jacket and drag you to your feet.</p>
1890       <p><quote>What are you up to?</quote> growls the scar-faced Detroit Lion, his stinking breath making you pull away in disgust. <quote>Sabotage, is it?</quote> he spits, accusingly.</p>
1891       <p><quote>Nah<ch.ellips/>I ain<ch.apos/>t no saboteur,</quote> you reply, stalling for time, as you let your hand drift slowly towards your close combat weapon. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m an Angelino who jus<ch.apos/> wants t<ch.apos/>see the race. I<ch.apos/>m supposed to be patrolling the south zone but ain<ch.apos/>t nothin<ch.apos/> ever happens down there. Gimme a break, will ya?</quote></p>
1892       <p>As your fingers close around your weapon, you see something that makes you hesitate. At the rear of the truck you glimpse a large crowd of clansmen who are queueing to enter the stadium. The sight dissuades you from attacking your accuser, and instead you decide to try offering him a bribe.</p>
1893       <choice idref="sect161">If you possess a <typ class="item">Bottle of Bourbon</typ>, <link-text>turn to 161</link-text>.</choice>
1894       <choice idref="sect207">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
1895      </data>
1896     </section>
1897
1898     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
1899      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
1900
1901      <data>
1902       <p>You press yourself against the damp stalagmites and gently flick your shotgun<ch.apos/>s safety catch to <quote>fire</quote>. The clansman<ch.apos/>s footsteps seem unbearably loud as you wait for the moment to launch your ambush. As he comes to a halt, you rise up from your hiding place and open fire.</p>
1903       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Shooting skill score.</p>
1904       <choice idref="sect292">If your total score is 3 or less, <link-text>turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
1905       <choice idref="sect18">If your total score is 4 or more, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1906      </data>
1907     </section>
1908
1909     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
1910      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
1911
1912      <data>
1913       <p>You are twenty yards out from the wall when a burst of machine gun fire echoes across the open ground. Bullets graze the rubble just a few feet ahead and ricochet into the air with a piercing whine. Kate looks over her shoulder and begins to slow her pace to allow you to catch up, but you scream at her to keep running and she obeys your command.</p>
1914       <p>When you are halfway across the gap, a wave of exhaustion descends on you like a lead blanket. Painfully your thigh muscles tighten until, in the throes of cramp, you stumble and fall. Desperately you try to rise but more shots ring out and you feel something sharp and searing, like a red-hot dagger, pierce your side. Your vision swims in and out of focus and the last thing you see, before total darkness descends, is Kate as she reaches the fire station.</p>
1915       <deadend>Tragically, your journey and your life end here in San Angelo.</deadend>
1916      </data>
1917     </section>
1918
1919     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
1920      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
1921
1922      <data>
1923       <p>The tyres and brakes squeal like banshees as you fight to bring the roadster to a rapid halt. Moments later, the panel truck flashes past, missing the front fender by inches, and overturning on the wreckage-strewn highway. Your skill and keen reflexes have saved you from colliding with the truck, but the sight of the convoy fast disappearing along the freeway makes you feel very uncomfortable. You change into low gear and pump the gas pedal, but nothing happens. The engine has stalled. Frantically you reach for the ignition to bring the car back to life before the surviving Mavericks close in and attempt to put an end to yours.</p>
1924       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your current Driving and Perception skill scores.</p>
1925       <choice idref="sect43">If your total is now 13 or less, <link-text>turn to 43</link-text>.</choice>
1926       <choice idref="sect104">If it is 14 or more, <link-text>turn to 104</link-text>.</choice>
1927      </data>
1928     </section>
1929
1930     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
1931      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
1932
1933      <data>
1934       <p>Before he can draw his gun, you land a punch to the side of the clansman<ch.apos/>s head that sends him reeling to the ground. Kate collapses against the rear door, her hands clasping her throat as she gasps painfully for breath. You are about to help her stand when the clansman lashes out with his foot and brings you down with a vicious kick to the knee: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Before you can recover fully, he leaps on you and tries to strangle you to death with his powerful hands.</p>
1935       <combat><enemy>Hang-Ten</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
1936       <p>Owing to the speed and fury of his attack, you are unable to draw a close combat weapon until the third round of the fight.</p>
1937       <choice idref="sect76">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1938      </data>
1939     </section>
1940
1941     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
1942      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
1943
1944      <data>
1945       <p><quote>This should open the gate nice and wide,</quote> says Haskell, as he takes the Leviathan from your hands and settles himself into position at the edge of the freeway.</p>
1946       <p><quote>Stand clear!</quote> he shouts, and then releases the trigger mechanism and sends the high explosive missile screaming towards the centre of the barricade.</p>
1947       <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
1948      </data>
1949     </section>
1950
1951     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
1952      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
1953
1954      <data>
1955       <p>Quickly you retrieve your weapon and step outside into the corridor. There, lying next to the siren, you see the guard<ch.apos/>s machine pistol. (If you decide to take this weapon, you discover that its magazine contains twenty-four rounds of 9mm ammunition.)</p>
1956       <p>You pick up the siren and switch it off as you run towards the iron staircase. You are halfway up the steps when you see the door to the observation block start to open.</p>
1957       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1958      </data>
1959     </section>
1960
1961     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
1962      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
1963
1964      <data>
1965       <p>Her gunfire silences the screaming Angelino. He throws his arms wide and tumbles backwards out of the saddle. The sight of him crashing into the river stuns the remaining clansmen just long enough for you to complete your wheel change and jump back into the car. As you reach the top of the bank and speed away towards the distant highway, you glance over your shoulder to see the scouts retrieving their leader<ch.apos/>s body from the South Concho River.</p>
1966       <choice idref="sect249"><link-text>Turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
1967      </data>
1968     </section>
1969
1970     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
1971      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
1972
1973      <data>
1974       <p>The case-hardened steel padlock is difficult but not impossible to cut. Eventually it gives and you are able to gain access to the hangar-like building. Inside you discover an armoured truck, one of many that were once used by banks to transport cash and bullion around Texas. This one was hijacked shortly before <quote>The Day</quote>, and was brought here where its cargo was to have been shared out by the robbers. However they never had a chance to divide and spend their loot, and the vehicle still contains over thirty million dollars in cash, a sum now completely worthless.</p>
1975       <illustration class="float">
1976        <meta>
1977         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1978         <description>The armoured truck still contains over thirty million dollars in cash, a sum now completely worthless.</description>
1979        </meta>
1980        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="625"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1981        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="617"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1982        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="617" />
1983       </illustration>
1984       <p>The truck<ch.apos/>s fuel tank is a quarter full, but it is diesel oil and cannot be used in your roadster. Cursing your luck, you search the truck and the building for anything that may be of practical use and you discover the following items:</p>
1985       <ul>
1986        <li><typ class="item">Tool Kit</typ></li>
1987        <li><typ class="item">Air Pump</typ></li>
1988        <li>Distilled Water (enough for three Drinks)</li>
1989        <li><typ class="item">Engine Oil</typ></li>
1990        <li><typ class="item">Monkey Wrench</typ></li>
1991       </ul>
1992       <p>Dusk is beginning to give way to darkness and you are anxious to return to the roadster before the evening light fades completely. Having satisfied yourself that you have overlooked nothing of value, you leave the building and return to your car.</p>
1993       <choice idref="sect216"><link-text>Turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
1994      </data>
1995     </section>
1996
1997     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
1998      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
1999
2000      <data>
2001       <p>Very little of any practical use remains intact within the cars that are littered around the lot. However, a search of the service bay uncovers the following items that may be of help to you on the road ahead:</p>
2002       <ul>
2003        <li><typ class="item">Tool Kit</typ></li>
2004        <li><typ class="item">Solar Torch</typ></li>
2005        <li><typ class="item">Engine Oil</typ></li>
2006       </ul>
2007       <p>If you wish to keep any of these Backpack Items, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2008       <p>Having satisfied yourself that nothing else of use has been overlooked, you return to your roadster and resume your journey to San Angelo.</p>
2009       <choice idref="sect342"><link-text>Turn to 342</link-text>.</choice>
2010      </data>
2011     </section>
2012
2013     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2014      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2015
2016      <data>
2017       <p>You search the immediate area for a track or some other means by which you can ascend the peak, but your efforts are to no avail. Reluctantly, you are forced to abandon your investigation and return to your car.</p>
2018       <choice idref="sect210"><link-text>Turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
2019      </data>
2020     </section>
2021
2022     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2023      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2024
2025      <data>
2026       <p>Judging from the long-horned skull that you find painted on the back of his leather vest, you have just laid to rest your first Angelino. On the floor, close to where you first spotted him, you find his weapons and equipment: a Machine Pistol (containing eighteen rounds of 9mm ammunition) and a Backpack, which holds the following items:</p>
2027       <ul>
2028        <li><typ class="item">Flexible Saw</typ></li>
2029        <li><typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ></li>
2030        <li>Water Canteen (containing enough water for three Drinks)</li>
2031        <li><typ class="item">Small Blanket</typ></li>
2032        <li>Enough bandages, sulfonamides, and antiseptics for three Medi-kit units</li>
2033        <li>Knife (2)</li>
2034       </ul>
2035       <p>In addition to these items, a search of the kitchen also reveals the following:</p>
2036       <ul>
2037        <li>Meat Cleaver (3)</li>
2038        <li>Bread Knife (2)</li>
2039        <li>Enough canned food for five Meals</li>
2040       </ul>
2041       <p>If you choose to keep any of the items in either list, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2042       <p>Before leaving the kitchen, you hide the clansman<ch.apos/>s body in an empty refrigerator. Then you hurry through the fire escape door and make your way up a flight of rusty steps that lead to a service alley at the rear of the building.</p>
2043       <choice idref="sect269"><link-text>Turn to 269</link-text>.</choice>
2044      </data>
2045     </section>
2046
2047     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2048      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2049
2050      <data>
2051       <p>The first two clansmen to enter the workshop fall victim to your gunfire. The others duck back and crouch either side of the doorway as their leader, a wiry biker with a badly broken nose, offers you the chance to give yourselves up. Defiantly you both refuse.</p>
2052       <p>Seconds later a clutch of grenades are thrown into the workshop and they explode with a thunderous flash. You are both mortally wounded in the blast, and when the Angelinos finally summon enough courage to storm into the room, they find you dead in each other<ch.apos/>s arms.</p>
2053       <deadend>Your journey and your life end here in Eldorado.</deadend>
2054      </data>
2055     </section>
2056
2057     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2058      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2059
2060      <data>
2061       <p>As soon as the clansmen have disappeared from sight, you break cover and run, half-crouched, towards their jeep. Kate circles around to the other side and climbs into the passenger seat while you search for the ignition. To your horror, you discover that the ignition keys are missing.</p>
2062       <p>Add together your Field Craft and Perception skill scores.</p>
2063       <choice idref="sect253">If your total score is 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
2064       <choice idref="sect70">If your total score is 9 or more, <link-text>turn to 70</link-text>.</choice>
2065      </data>
2066     </section>
2067
2068     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2069      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2070
2071      <footnotes>
2072       <footnote id="sect129-1-foot" idref="sect129-1">
2073        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
2074       </footnote>
2075      </footnotes>
2076
2077      <data>
2078       <p>You examine the three dials that are set into the top of the security valve. Each is divided into three segments, and each segment displays a number. One of the segments on the third dial has numbers which can be altered by hand. Carefully you consider the numbers and soon realize that they are part of a coded combination lock. By turning the adjustable numbers on the third dial to the correct total, you will release the lock and open the valve.</p>
2079       <puzzle idref="sect52">Consider the following numbers carefully. When you think you know what the missing number is, <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn to the entry</a></when><otherwise>turn to the entry</otherwise></choose> which bears the same number as your answer.<footref id="sect129-1" idref="sect129-1-foot"/></puzzle>
2080       <illustration class="inline">
2081        <meta>
2082         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2083        </meta>
2084        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2085        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2086        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="126" height="150"/>
2087       </illustration>
2088       <choice idref="sect226">If you cannot solve the security code, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
2089      </data>
2090     </section>
2091
2092     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2093      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2094
2095      <data>
2096       <p>Despite pulling your T-shirt to your face to filter out the dust, the heat and the cloying air conspire to sap your strength: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Determinedly you continue your search and, after nearly half an hour of exhausting work, you uncover the following items:</p>
2097       <ul>
2098        <li><typ class="item">Tool Kit</typ></li>
2099        <li><typ class="item">Siren</typ></li>
2100        <li>Six rounds of 7.62mm ammunition</li>
2101        <li>Hunting Knife (2)</li>
2102        <li><typ class="item">Tenon Saw</typ></li>
2103        <li>Four rounds of 12-gauge ammunition</li>
2104        <li><typ class="item">Plastic Tube</typ></li>
2105        <li><typ class="item">File</typ></li>
2106       </ul>
2107       <p>Remember to make a note on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> of any of the items that you decide to keep.</p>
2108       <choice idref="sect59">To continue, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2109      </data>
2110     </section>
2111
2112     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2113      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2114
2115      <data>
2116       <p>You enter an alley that runs alongside the bar, and make your way to the rear door. Through a cracked glass panel you can see the kitchens. They are empty, but remnants of food lie scattered across the tables and, judging by the amount of fresh garbage strewn on the floor, a large group of clansmen must have eaten here not so long ago.</p>
2117       <p>You test the handle and discover that the door is unlocked.</p>
2118       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Perception skill score.</p>
2119       <choice idref="sect86">If your total score is 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 86</link-text>.</choice>
2120       <choice idref="sect2">If your total score is 9 or more, <link-text>turn to 2</link-text>.</choice>
2121      </data>
2122     </section>
2123
2124     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2125      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2126
2127      <data>
2128       <p><quote>Eldorado, the imaginary land of riches,</quote> you say sardonically, as you scan the tumbledown buildings of this derelict Texan town. <quote>Somehow I jus<ch.apos/> don<ch.apos/>t reckon we<ch.apos/>ll find any riches here.</quote></p>
2129       <p><quote>I guess you<ch.apos/>re right,</quote> says Kate. <quote>But we might find us somewhere to rest up a while. I sure could use a few hours<ch.apos/> sleep.</quote></p>
2130       <p>The dangers you have encountered during the day have kept you mentally and physically alert, but now that the immediate threat has passed, the fatigue of your ordeal catches up with you all at once. Your need to rest makes the thought of stopping here almost irresistible, but, no matter how tired you feel, you cannot ignore the fact that you are being hunted by the Angelinos.</p>
2131       <choice idref="sect6">If you wish to stop and rest in Eldorado, <link-text>turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
2132       <choice idref="sect180">If you decide to continue driving despite your fatigue, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
2133      </data>
2134     </section>
2135
2136     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2137      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2138
2139      <data>
2140       <p>Coughing and popping, the roadster lurches to a halt in the middle of the highway. You try to restart the engine but it refuses to run smoothly for more than a few seconds at a time. You are running over all the possible faults that could have caused the breakdown when suddenly you remember the comp-aid digipad that Cutter fitted to the dashboard while you were in Big Spring. He had salvaged the unit from the wreck of a <ch.apos/>99 Mercedes Malibu Coup<ch.eacute/> and modified it so that you could use it to run an automatic systems check on your roadster. Hurriedly you tap in your access code and immediately the unit<ch.apos/>s LCD identifies the fault: <ch.ellips/>FUEL FILTER<ch.ellips/></p>
2141       <p>It takes you an hour to dismantle, clean, and replace the fuel filter, during which time you must take two Drinks or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points per drink missed due to dehydration.</p>
2142       <p>The fault rectified, the engine starts sweetly the first time you touch the ignition. You accelerate away but within a few minutes you see something in the distance that makes you slow to a snail<ch.apos/>s pace.</p>
2143       <p>It is a girder bridge that carries the highway across the North Concho River. The bridge is intact and passable, but you are worried by the sight of a lazy plume of wood smoke rising from a spot near its approach ramp.</p>
2144       <choice idref="sect296">If you possess <typ class="item">Binoculars</typ>, <link-text>turn to 296</link-text>.</choice>
2145       <choice idref="sect224">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
2146      </data>
2147     </section>
2148
2149     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2150      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2151
2152      <data>
2153       <p>With Sergeant Haskell beside you, you drive out of Sierra Blanca, heading west on Interstate 10. A few miles later, you see a forest of strange plants growing on either side of the freeway. They are ten to twenty feet high, with stiff, spiky leaves and topped with white, bell-like flowers.</p>
2154       <p><quote>Those are yuccas,</quote> says Haskell, clearly amused by your open-mouthed reaction at seeing these almost science-fictional plants for the first time.</p>
2155
2156        <illustration class="inline">
2157         <meta>
2158          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2159         </meta>
2160         <instance class="html" src="small12.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2161         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small12.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2162         <instance class="pdf" src="small12.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2163        </illustration>
2164
2165       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>m amazed they<ch.apos/>ve survived where everything else has failed,</quote> you reply. <quote>They must be good at adapting to their new environment.</quote></p>
2166       <p><quote>That<ch.apos/>s the key to survival, Cal. We all have to adapt if we are to survive.</quote></p>
2167       <p>You keep your car at a steady sixty miles per hour until the ruins of Fort Hancock loom into view. Like Sierra Blanca, this town is deserted, having been looted by the Mexicans months ago. Sergeant Haskell radios back to the convoy to tell them that the town is safe to enter. When they arrive, you continue towards Fabens to scout the barricade.</p>
2168       <p>You are less than three miles from Fort Hancock when you see a vehicle approaching on the highway ahead. Rather than run the risk of a head-on confrontation, you pull your car off the freeway and hide it among the yuccas. As the vehicle grows nearer, you see that it is a military truck, loaded with munitions, and manned by a group of Mexican clansmen. Both you and Sergeant Haskell realize that if this truck is allowed to reach Fort Hancock, it could destroy the colony<ch.apos/>s hopes of ever seeing El Paso.</p>
2169       <choice idref="sect162"><link-text>Turn to 162</link-text>.</choice>
2170      </data>
2171     </section>
2172
2173     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2174      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2175
2176      <data>
2177       <p>Using strips of cotton torn from the bottom of your T-shirt, Kate bandages your wound as best she can. Her speedy action stops the bleeding and enables you to continue your escape. The wide corridor into which you have emerged is empty at present, but the sound of running footsteps is growing louder with each passing second, and it will not be very long before this area is teeming with clansmen. Kate points to a service hatch, almost invisible against the dirt-encrusted wall, and suggests that you hide there. You nod your agreement and help her to prise open the rusty hatch door.</p>
2178       <choice idref="sect201"><link-text>Turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
2179      </data>
2180     </section>
2181
2182     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2183      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2184
2185      <data>
2186       <p>In a desperate attempt to reach him before he can cock and fire his gun, you race towards your adversary and launch yourself at his chest. The shock of seeing you charging at him makes him hesitate for a few vital seconds, and when your fists connect with his body, the force of impact leaves him winded and stunned. Still he fights to free himself from your grip, and, as he wriggles free, he unsheathes a knife from his boot and lunges at your neck.</p>
2187       <combat><enemy>Rockblitz</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
2188       <p>Owing to the speed of your attack, and your first strike, add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
2189       <choice idref="sect248">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
2190      </data>
2191     </section>
2192
2193     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2194      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2195
2196      <data>
2197       <p>Wearily you search through the ruins of stores that are still standing at the centre of the town. A derelict food mart holds out promise of supplies, but once inside you realize that it must have been looted months ago. At the rear of the building, inside a fenced compound, you see a storage cabin. The door is closed and it shows no obvious signs of ever having been forced open.</p>
2198       <choice idref="sect88">If you wish to enter the compound and search the storage cabin, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
2199       <choice idref="sect204">If you decide to ignore the cabin and continue your search elsewhere, <link-text>turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
2200      </data>
2201     </section>
2202
2203     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2204      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2205
2206      <data>
2207       <p>You try to ignore the hail of bullets whistling past on all sides as coolly you crouch down and adopt a two-handed combat stance in order to steady your aim. The clansman is wild with fury, but a single shot to the head, delivered with chilling precision, is all it takes to stop him dead in his tracks.</p>
2208       <p>Before you bury these two Detroit Lions, you search their bodies and their bikes, and discover the following useful items:</p>
2209       <ul>
2210        <li>Pistol (containing three rounds of 9mm ammunition)</li>
2211        <li>Dagger (2)</li>
2212        <li>Water Canteen (containing enough water for three Drinks)</li>
2213        <li><typ class="item">Leather Face Mask</typ></li>
2214        <li><typ class="item">Rope</typ></li>
2215        <li>Machine Pistol (containing eighteen rounds of 9mm ammunition)</li>
2216        <li><typ class="item">Cigarette Lighter</typ></li>
2217        <li><typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ></li>
2218        <li>Enough pain killers for one Medi-kit unit</li>
2219       </ul>
2220       <p>There remains no trace of the bikers or their machines when eventually you complete the grisly task of burial. Wearily you return to your roadster and begin the next stage of your journey to San Angelo. Less than a mile beyond the bridge you see a deserted stretch of Freeway 87. You join the freeway, heading south, and within a few minutes you catch sight of a town on the road ahead. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> confirms that you are approaching Sterling City.</p>
2221       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
2222      </data>
2223     </section>
2224
2225     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2226      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2227
2228      <data>
2229       <p>You are halfway through the door when your foot becomes caught among the burning shelves and you are sent sprawling to the ground. Quickly you recover and press on with your escape, but as a result of your fall, you sustain painful first-degree burns to your hands (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) and lose one item from your Backpack (erase one item of your choice).</p>
2230       <choice idref="sect110">Make the necessary amendments to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, and then <link-text>turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
2231      </data>
2232     </section>
2233
2234     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2235      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2236
2237      <data>
2238       <p>The coyote is in a frenzy of pain and fear. No matter how hard Kate strikes it with her pistol, the beast refuses to relinquish its grip on your arm. In desperation she tries to drag the dog away, but this also pulls your arm off the steering wheel and causes the car to swerve sideways and go into a violent skid. You slam on the brakes and bring the roadster to a juddering halt, throwing the coyote hard against the dashboard, but still it remains fixed to your arm. The only way you are going to free yourself of this creature is by killing it in close combat.</p>
2239       <combat><enemy>Wild Coyote</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">7</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">19</enemy-attribute></combat>
2240       <choice idref="sect284">If you win and the fight takes four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
2241       <choice idref="sect313">If you win and the fight lasts five rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
2242      </data>
2243     </section>
2244
2245     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2246      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2247
2248      <data>
2249       <p>You enter through a gaping hole in the store<ch.apos/>s front window. The shattered remains scrunch loudly beneath the soles of your boots as you explore its darkened interior. The place is a shambles, the fittings and stock having been exposed to the elements for many years. It is a relief to be out of the midday sun but you soon experience difficulty with your breathing for the air is becoming saturated with a fine dust stirred by your movement.</p>
2250       <choice idref="sect130">If you wish to continue your search of this dust-choked store, <link-text>turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
2251       <choice idref="sect59">If you decide to return to your roadster and leave the town, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2252      </data>
2253     </section>
2254
2255     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2256      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2257
2258      <data>
2259       <p>Quickly you check your magazine and cock the firing bolt as the first clansman scurries between the rocks that litter the edge of the service area. He is less than twenty-five yards away when you squeeze off your first burst of fire and bring him crashing to the ground. (Remember to deduct six rounds of 9mm ammunition from your Ammo Pouch.) His partner hesitates, and then abandons his stealthy approach and comes running towards you, screaming hysterically, his own machine pistol blazing furiously at his hip.</p>
2260       <choice idref="sect176">If you have sufficient ammunition and wish to fire again, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
2261       <choice idref="sect212">If you do not have sufficient ammunition to fire a second time, or if you choose not to fire, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
2262      </data>
2263     </section>
2264
2265     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2266      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2267
2268      <data>
2269       <p>You rush forward, pausing briefly at the bottom of the staircase to check that the two guards are no longer a threat. Lying across the bloodstained chest of one of the men is a machine pistol (if you wish to take this weapon, you discover that it contains twenty-four rounds of 9mm ammunition) and attached to the belt of the other is an <typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ>.</p>
2270       <p>Stepping over the bodies, you begin to ascend the stairs to the observation room, but you are only halfway up when you see the door start to open.</p>
2271       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
2272      </data>
2273     </section>
2274
2275     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2276      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2277
2278      <data>
2279       <p>Kate succeeds in giving enough covering fire to keep the clansmen pinned down, while you retrieve the spare tyre, jack, and wheel brace from the trunk of the car. But in doing so she empties her gun, and she has no spare ammunition with which to reload.</p>
2280       <choice idref="sect78">If you possess at least six rounds of 9mm ammunition and wish to give them to Kate so that she can reload her pistol, <link-text>turn to 78</link-text>.</choice>
2281       <choice idref="sect229">If you possess less than six rounds of 9mm ammunition and wish to give them to Kate, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2282       <choice idref="sect301">If you possess no 9mm rounds whatsoever, or if you do not wish to give any that you have to Kate, <link-text>turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
2283      </data>
2284     </section>
2285
2286     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2287      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2288
2289      <data>
2290       <p>The frightened man lowers his aim and sends the arrow thudding into the ground at your feet<ch.emdash/>a warning shot. At that moment your pursuer comes roaring up the track, closely followed by the other Angelino scouts whom you encountered at the bridge. You scream a warning to Kate and throw yourself down as a double burst of machine gun fire strafes the palisade. The bullets pass over your back and hit the archer in the chest, dropping him in a tangled heap on the threshold of the gateway.</p>
2291       <p>You spring to your feet and rush forward to help Kate drag his body away, so that the gate can be closed. The other members of the settlement come to your aid and, once the gate is secure, they point to the cave mouth and urge you to enter. You do not want to abandon your roadster to the Angelinos, but to stay here and attempt to fight would be suicidal. Reluctantly you leave the gate and follow them into the cave.</p>
2292       <choice idref="sect8"><link-text>Turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
2293      </data>
2294     </section>
2295
2296     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2297      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2298
2299      <data>
2300       <p>The clansman curses you with his dying breath, and then keels over and falls heavily across his dead partner<ch.apos/>s body. Your limbs ache viciously from the bruises and fatigue of your ordeal, and before you can carry on you must take a Drink or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2301       <p>Once you have fully recovered, you decide to bury your enemies. But first you search both bodies and the bikes, and discover the following useful items:</p>
2302       <ul>
2303        <li>Machine Pistol (containing twelve rounds of 9mm ammunition)</li>
2304        <li><typ class="item">Cigarette Lighter</typ></li>
2305        <li><typ class="item">HE Grenade</typ></li>
2306        <li>Enough pain killers for one Medi-kit unit</li>
2307        <li>Pistol (containing four rounds of 9mm ammunition)</li>
2308        <li>Dagger (2)</li>
2309        <li><typ class="item">Leather Face Mask</typ></li>
2310        <li><typ class="item">Rope</typ></li>
2311       </ul>
2312       <p>There remains no trace of the bikers or their machines when eventually you complete the grisly task of burial. Then wearily you return to your roadster and begin the next stage of your journey to San Angelo. Less than a mile beyond the bridge you see a deserted stretch of Freeway 87. You join the freeway, heading south, and within a few minutes you catch sight of a town on the road ahead. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> confirms that you are approaching Sterling City.</p>
2313       <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
2314      </data>
2315     </section>
2316
2317     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2318      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2319
2320      <data>
2321       <p>You leave the bar and return to the convoy to tell the colony what has happened. After considering the likelihood of running into a Maverick ambush on the way to Sierra Blanca, probably in the narrow pass that separates Slaughter Mountain from Devil Ridge, the maps are consulted. A proposal is put forward by Sergeant Haskell that the convoy detours north, across the Salt Lakes to Cornudas, and approach El Paso on Highway 62. It looks like the safest route to follow and it is soon agreed.</p>
2322       <p>The convoy is turned around and you lead it north, but you have not travelled very far when you see something on the road ahead that forces another change of plan.</p>
2323       <choice idref="sect274"><link-text>Turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2324      </data>
2325     </section>
2326
2327     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2328      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2329
2330      <data>
2331       <p>You follow Kate as she runs through the debris towards an exit at the rear. You watch as she races through the open doorway and collides head-on with a clansman, who is hurrying into the building. The two rebound off each other and fall to the ground, stunned and bruised. Drunkenly, the clansman grabs Kate by the throat and fumbles for a pistol that is holstered beneath his shoulder.</p>
2332       <choice idref="sect245">If you have a missile weapon and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
2333       <choice idref="sect119">If you do not have a missile weapon, do not wish to use one, or have insufficient ammunition, <link-text>turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
2334      </data>
2335     </section>
2336
2337     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2338      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2339
2340      <data>
2341       <p>You bring your roadster to a halt beside the pick-up but leave the engine idling in case you have to make a fast getaway. After checking to make sure that it is not booby-trapped, you lift the hood and take a look at the truck<ch.apos/>s engine. The ground beneath it is stained black where oil has leaked from a shattered sump; the damage looks irreparable.</p>
2342       <p>Inside the cab you find a <typ class="item">CB Radio</typ> attached to the dashboard. It has its own self-contained power supply and the unit is still in good working order. Having satisfied your curiosity, you return to your car and continue on your way to San Angelo.</p>
2343       <choice idref="sect303"><link-text>Turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
2344      </data>
2345     </section>
2346
2347     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2348      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2349
2350      <data>
2351       <p>You decide to spend the night in the library<ch.apos/>s main hall. After clearing a space near the centre, you build a small campfire, using a few of the many thousands of books that line the walls. Then, once it is ablaze, you help Kate to prepare the food she has found. Outside, the weather has grown steadily worse. Thunder rolls across the surrounding plains and the jagged flashes of forked lightning illuminate the roiling clouds of dust with increasing regularity.</p>
2352       <p><quote>I don<ch.apos/>t like it<ch.emdash/>it looks real bad,</quote> you say, as you stare anxiously out of the window at the raging storm.</p>
2353       <p><quote>It ain<ch.apos/>t all bad,</quote> replies Kate. <quote>At least we don<ch.apos/>t have to worry <ch.apos/>bout Mad Dog<ch.apos/>s boys showin<ch.apos/> up outta the blue.</quote></p>
2354       <p>The food and wine taste delicious (restore 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points), and, after eating your fill, you both settle down to sleep in front of the glowing embers of the campfire.</p>
2355       <p>It seems as though you have only just closed your eyes when you are stirred to consciousness by a loud crackling sound and the acrid smell of smoke. Horror fills your senses when you open your eyes to see yourself surrounded by a blazing wall of yellow flame. Lightning struck the library roof while you were asleep, starting a fire that has been fuelled by the shelves of dust-dry books, and which has now spread to the main hall where it threatens to consume you both.</p>
2356       <p>Quickly you wake Kate and together you fight your way towards the main door. You are within ten feet of the exit when a burning bookcase falls across your path.</p>
2357       <illustration class="float">
2358        <meta>
2359         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2360         <description>You and Kate are within ten feet of the exit when a burning bookcase falls across your path.</description>
2361        </meta>
2362        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="622"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2363        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="622"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2364        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="622" />
2365       </illustration>
2366       <choice idref="sect47">If you possess a <typ class="item">Fire Extinguisher</typ>, <link-text>turn to 47</link-text>.</choice>
2367       <choice idref="sect316">If you do not possess this item, <link-text>turn to 316</link-text>.</choice>
2368      </data>
2369     </section>
2370
2371     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2372      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2373
2374      <data>
2375       <p>The coarse staccato sound of a machine pistol and the sight of a clansman<ch.apos/>s grinning face are the last sensations you experience as a dozen bullets rip into your chest. Mercifully, the bullets deliver a quick and painless death.</p>
2376       <deadend>Your life and your journey end here.</deadend>
2377      </data>
2378     </section>
2379
2380     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2381      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2382
2383      <data>
2384       <p>A parting blow with the edge of your newfound weapon stuns the clansman and drops him to the floor. You call to Kate, telling her to follow you, and immediately she moves out from her hiding place. As she passes the clansman, she stoops to snatch his machine pistol from the floor and then quickly follows in your footsteps as you retrace your way along the defile and return to the surface.</p>
2385       <choice idref="sect168"><link-text>Turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
2386      </data>
2387     </section>
2388
2389     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2390      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2391
2392      <data>
2393       <p>You pass between the shattered stores and houses of Broome with your nerves on edge, half-expecting to run into a clan patrol or fall prey to an ambush. Yet your visit passes without incident and soon you find yourself back on the open freeway, heading southeast to San Angelo. You are hungry, and during your drive you must eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2394       <p>When you first see San Angelo, the sun is a quarter hidden below the skyline, its soft red glow reflecting upon a cluster of tall buildings that stand at the city<ch.apos/>s centre. They are the ravaged shells of banks and state offices that were the pride of this once-prosperous city before <quote>The Day</quote>. Surrounding them, for many miles, is a sea of dust and rubble. Your skin prickles when you realize that this is all that remains of the city<ch.apos/>s suburbs, an area that once was home to more than a million Texans.</p>
2395       <p>You are about to drive towards the centre when you notice that a fortified wall has been erected around the tall buildings of the downtown area, and the northern freeway approaches are controlled by roadblocks. It would be near-suicidal to approach any closer, so you make a wide detour around the city limits and try an approach from the south.</p>
2396       <p>It takes nearly two hours to reach the south side of San Angelo, by which time night has fallen. Fortunately, your decision to go south has paid off: this section of the city is virtually uninhabited by the Angelinos and your approach goes undetected.</p>
2397       <p>Hidden by the darkness, you are able to get within a mile of the downtown area before you encounter any sign of clan activity. You know that if your rescue of Kate is to be successful you must not allow your roadster to fall into enemy hands, and with this thought in mind, you search for somewhere safe to leave it while you venture into the downtown area on foot.</p>
2398       <p>An underground parking lot situated below the looted ruins of a Sears megamarket provides just such a safe haven, and it is here that you hide your car. You are tired after the rigours of your journey, so you decide to get a few hours<ch.apos/> sleep and attempt your rescue at first light.</p>
2399       <choice idref="sect29"><link-text>Turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
2400      </data>
2401     </section>
2402
2403     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2404      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2405
2406      <data>
2407       <p>For a moment you are blinded by a deluge of stones and stinking water as you drive through the aftermath of the explosion. Then, as you catch sight of the opposite bank, there is another blast and you feel your steering wheel pulling sharply to the left.</p>
2408       <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>ve lost a tyre,</quote> you shout, as you battle to get the car onto dry land. You succeed in reaching the far bank and skid sideways to a halt. You both leap out quickly and take cover behind the engine compartment. The clansmen seem to have exhausted their supply of grenades, but they are all armed with machine pistols and they proceed to empty them in your direction.</p>
2409       <p>Kate draws her pistol and prepares to give covering fire while you inspect the damage. The front left tyre has been shredded by shrapnel and is beyond repair. You will have to replace it with the spare tyre you carry in the trunk. However, in order to retrieve it, you will have to expose yourself to bursts of machine pistol fire.</p>
2410       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score. Now add the combined figure to your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score.</p>
2411       <choice idref="sect144">If the resulting total score is 28 or less, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
2412       <choice idref="sect194">If the total score is 29 or more, <link-text>turn to 194</link-text>.</choice>
2413      </data>
2414     </section>
2415
2416     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2417      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2418
2419      <data>
2420       <p>With dismay, Kate tells you that she can find no anti-toxins in your Medi-kit. Using blankets dragged from the store room, she tries to make you as comfortable as possible as the first shivers of fever begin to grip your pain-wracked body. She cleans the inflamed wound and tries to comfort you as best she can while, over the next three hours, your body battles to overcome the toxin in your blood: lose 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2421       <choice idref="sect291">If you are still alive after sustaining such a grievous shock to your system, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
2422      </data>
2423     </section>
2424
2425     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2426      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2427
2428      <data>
2429       <p>You act purely on instinct, yet the speed and precision of your actions are enough to save your life. Skilfully you decelerate, using the roadster<ch.apos/>s gears and brakes in unison to prevent the car from ramming into the panel truck. Then, before the engine stalls or the surviving Mavericks are able to close in, you pump the gas and take off once more, your eyes now glued firmly on the tail lights of the school bus. A few poorly aimed bullets chase your escape but you soon catch up with the convoy and pass beyond the range of the Maverick<ch.apos/>s guns.</p>
2430       <choice idref="sect312"><link-text>Turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
2431      </data>
2432     </section>
2433
2434     <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2435      <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2436
2437      <data>
2438       <p>Haskell dispatches three of the four clansmen, and the survivor manages to escape into the yucca forest. You are about to give chase when he says, <quote>Let him go, Cal. He won<ch.apos/>t get far on his own. Let<ch.apos/>s see what they had on board the truck.</quote></p>
2439       <p>You discover several crates and lockers filled with munitions: mortars, anti-tank weapons, heavy machine guns and the like. However, you cannot find any ammunition for these weapons. You are about to set fire to the truck, to prevent them from falling into the hands of other clansmen, when you discover one item that could be of some use after all.</p>
2440       <p>In a sealed locker at the bottom of the heap, you discover a portable Leviathan ground-to-air missile, a weapon with approximately eight times the destructive power of a bazooka. If you wish to keep this <typ class="item">Leviathan Missile</typ>, you must reduce your Stealth score by 2 points due to its size and weight.</p>
2441       <p>Having set fire to the truck, you return to your roadster. You are just about to climb in when you feel an arm snake around your neck and pull you backwards into the yucca forest.</p>
2442       <combat><enemy>Guerrero</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2443       <p>Owing to the surprise of his attack, do not erase any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points your enemy may lose in the first two rounds of combat.</p>
2444       <choice idref="sect63">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 63</link-text>.</choice>
2445      </data>
2446     </section>
2447
2448     <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2449      <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2450
2451      <data>
2452       <p>You tighten your grip on your close combat weapon as the door handle turns. The door flies open and you stare at the startled face of your enemy as you spring forward and strike the first blow. Your speedy attack opens a gash across his forehead and knocks the pistol from his hand. He reels back, clutching his face, and immediately you press forward to strike again, eager to silence him before he can raise the alarm.</p>
2453       <combat><enemy>Armalite</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">11</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">16</enemy-attribute></combat>
2454       <p>Owing to the fury and surprise with which you launched your first strike, ignore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses you may sustain during the first two rounds of the combat.</p>
2455       <choice idref="sect237">If you win and the fight lasts four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 237</link-text>.</choice>
2456       <choice idref="sect336">If you win and the fight takes five rounds or more, <link-text>turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
2457      </data>
2458     </section>
2459
2460     <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2461      <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2462
2463      <data>
2464       <p>You push open the doors and enter the gloomy kitchen. Out of the corner of your eye you notice a movement. You turn around and see a clansman crouching in front of a food locker, trying to prise the door open with the edge of a meat cleaver. He sees you and his eyes open wide with shock. Before you can draw a weapon and fire, he draws the cleaver back and hurls it at your chest.</p>
2465       <illustration class="float">
2466        <meta>
2467         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2468         <description>The clansman draws the meat cleaver back and hurls it at your chest.</description>
2469        </meta>
2470        <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="553"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2471        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="541"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2472        <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="541" />
2473       </illustration>
2474       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score.</p>
2475       <choice idref="sect186">If your total score is 7 or less, <link-text>turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
2476       <choice idref="sect282">If it is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 282</link-text>.</choice>
2477      </data>
2478     </section>
2479
2480     <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2481      <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2482
2483      <data>
2484       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s them!</quote> cries Knott, as he sights the convoy vehicles trundling along the freeway towards Kent. Led by Pete Tyler<ch.apos/>s tow truck, the convoy pulls into the town with all horns blaring and everyone shouting their relief and delight that the rendezvous has been accomplished. It is a joyous reunion, made especially happy by the return of Kate to the colony.</p>
2485       <p>After the excitement has abated you settle down to discuss the more serious matters at hand. From his vantage place in the sky, Rickenbacker has been able to track the movements of Amex Gold and his Maverick clansmen. A large contingent of them have been shadowing the convoy and are now in ambush somewhere in the mountains ahead. Also, Pop Ewell has monitored by radio the movements of a large Mexican clan, who have crossed the border in search of fuel and food. And, to make matters even worse, Mad Dog Michigan has linked up with the <quote>Saints</quote>, the clan from New Orleans, and now they too are somewhere in the vicinity.</p>
2486       <p><quote>Looks like we<ch.apos/>re surrounded by enemies,</quote> says Cutter, volunteering his opinion. <quote>Seems to me we<ch.apos/>ve got to keep movin<ch.apos/> if we<ch.apos/>re to stand a cat<ch.apos/>s chance o<ch.apos/> gettin<ch.apos/> to El Paso in one piece.</quote></p>
2487       <p>His opinions are shared by the majority, and so it is decided to leave Kent this afternoon and press on to El Paso without delay.</p>
2488       <choice idref="sect252"><link-text>Turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
2489      </data>
2490     </section>
2491
2492     <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2493      <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2494
2495      <data>
2496       <p>The clansman<ch.apos/>s eyes widen with a mixture of awe and avarice when you produce the bottle of bourbon from your Backpack. Greedily he snatches it from your hands, pulls the cork, and up-ends the bottle into his mouth. Five gulps later he replaces the cork and grins delightedly.</p>
2497       <p><quote>You jus<ch.apos/> bought yourself a grandstand seat, fella,</quote> he says, hiding the bottle inside his jacket.</p>
2498       <p>Still grinning, he returns to the cab and restarts the engine. Shortly the truck stops once again, but this time it is parked alongside three others in a section of the stadium that has been turned into a pits area. You leave the truck and slip away through the crowds of mechanics and riders towards an empty section of the arena.</p>
2499       <p>From a position high among the tiers, you look down at the rows of empty seats that encircle the dusty arena and observe the preparations taking place around the perimeter track. This stadium once hosted international sporting events, many of which were televised and beamed live around the world. Now it plays host to a sporting event of a very different kind. The Angelinos have challenged the Lions to put forward four of their best riders for a twenty-lap motorcycle race around the arena. The track itself reminds you of an old film you saw when you were a child, a film about the wild chariot races that took place in Ancient Rome. Today<ch.apos/>s event is meant to be a friendly challenge to celebrate the signing of their alliance, but with clan honour at stake the race will undoubtedly be fought out in deadly earnest.</p>
2500       <p>Facing you, on the far side of the stadium, is the glass-fronted observation block that was once used by television and radio commentators. Your curiosity is aroused by it when you notice that the door to the block is heavily guarded. Fixedly you stare at its full-length windows and count five occupants: four clansmen and one blonde-haired girl. You cannot see her face clearly, but you know that she is Kate Norton.</p>
2501       <choice idref="sect346"><link-text>Turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
2502      </data>
2503     </section>
2504
2505     <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2506      <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2507
2508      <data>
2509       <p>You know that you must prevent the truck from reaching Fort Hancock, and the only sure way to do that is to ambush it. You leave the roadster and take up a position at the edge of the freeway. When the truck is twenty yards away, Sergeant Haskell opens fire at its tyres with his machine pistol. The bullets explode the tyres, causing the driver to lose control and run the truck into the freeway crash barrier. It hits a broken section of the barrier at speed and is tipped onto its side, spilling its cargo and crew across the highway. Only four of the Mexicans survive the crash: the driver and three others, who were riding in the back.</p>
2510       <choice idref="sect328">If you possess a missile weapon and wish to use it <link-text>turn to 328</link-text>.</choice>
2511       <choice idref="sect157">If you do not possess a missile weapon, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
2512      </data>
2513     </section>
2514
2515     <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2516      <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2517
2518      <data>
2519       <p>You plan to use the siren to lure the guards away from the stairs to a place where you can ambush them. To your left is an open doorway and quickly you slip inside to avoid being seen. You find that it leads to an empty locker room, and here you remove the siren from your pack and set its volume switch to maximum before pushing it outside into the corridor. Then you take your missile weapon and use its barrel to reach out and trigger the siren.</p>
2520       <p>In the confines of the corridor the sound is deafening. Immediately the two guards come rushing forward to investigate, and, as they appear outside the locker room, you raise your gun and fire. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.) The Detroit Lion opens his mouth but his dying scream is lost in the siren<ch.apos/>s blare. The Angelino survives your gunfire and leaps through the doorway to kick your weapon from your hands. Instinctively you reach for a close combat weapon as the burly Angelino unsheathes his hunting knife and attacks.</p>
2521       <combat><enemy>Purple Haze</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">27</enemy-attribute></combat>
2522       <choice idref="sect121">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
2523      </data>
2524     </section>
2525
2526     <section class="numbered" id="sect164">
2527      <meta><title>164</title></meta>
2528
2529      <data>
2530       <p><quote>Get down Kate!</quote> you shout, as you dive to the ground and roll for cover behind the abandoned pick-up. But before you make it, two shots ring out almost simultaneously, one from a rifle and the other from a pistol.</p>
2531       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Stealth skill score.</p>
2532       <choice idref="sect278">If the total is 6 or less, <link-text>turn to 278</link-text>.</choice>
2533       <choice idref="sect16">If the total is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
2534      </data>
2535     </section>
2536
2537     <section class="numbered" id="sect165">
2538      <meta><title>165</title></meta>
2539
2540      <data>
2541       <p>You gun your roadster towards the battered wooden gates of the site and smash your way through them. The ground beyond is covered with loose stones and, to your horror, you feel the nose of your car sliding away to the right. The steel skeleton of an office block looms before you as you fight to correct your front wheel skid.</p>
2542       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it your Driving skill score.</p>
2543       <choice idref="sect195">If your total is 8 or less, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
2544       <choice idref="sect309">If your total is 9 or more, <link-text>turn to 309</link-text>.</choice>
2545      </data>
2546     </section>
2547
2548     <section class="numbered" id="sect166">
2549      <meta><title>166</title></meta>
2550
2551      <data>
2552       <p>The Angelino scout skids his bike to a halt and lays it on its side. Then, while he feels he still has the advantage, he comes running at you, swinging his chain in one hand and brandishing a hunting knife in the other.</p>
2553       <combat><enemy>B-52</enemy><enemy-attribute class="closecombatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">27</enemy-attribute></combat>
2554       <p>At the start of the third round of combat, you may add two points to your <typ class="attribute">CLOSE COMBAT SKILL</typ>, owing to the help you then receive from Kate in fighting this clansman.</p>
2555       <choice idref="sect11">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
2556      </data>
2557     </section>
2558
2559     <section class="numbered" id="sect167">
2560      <meta><title>167</title></meta>
2561
2562      <data>
2563       <p>For seventeen miles you follow the 137 south. The surface of the highway is so poor that were it not for the line of shattered telegraph poles that run parallel to the road, you would find it impossible to tell the difference between the highway and the open ground. It takes you an hour to reach a junction where the remains of another highway, the 158, cuts east/west across your path. Its condition is marginally better and, for the first time since you left Stanton, you are able to increase your speed to thirty miles per hour as you head east towards Sterling City. From there you will make your way along Freeway 87 to San Angelo.</p>
2564       <p>It is nearly noon when you see a ramshackle town appear out of the heat haze that dances on the road ahead. Now the temperature is well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and, as you drive along its deserted main street, you think about stopping to rest for a while in the shade.</p>
2565       <choice idref="sect85">If you decide to stop at this town, <link-text>turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
2566       <choice idref="sect290">If you choose not to stop but to continue driving to Sterling City, <link-text>turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
2567      </data>
2568     </section>
2569
2570     <section class="numbered" id="sect168">
2571      <meta><title>168</title></meta>
2572
2573      <data>
2574       <p>When you emerge from the caverns you are astounded to see that the Angelinos have been completely overwhelmed by this colony of cave dwellers. The few clansmen to have survived the ambush have been trussed up like turkeys and are being guarded by a circle of spear-wielding women. The rest of the colony is so busy stripping and searching the bodies of those they have killed that they fail to notice you and Kate, as you leave the entrance quietly and make your way back to the roadster. You admire their bravery but there is something about these people, something about their appearance and their silence, that unsettles you.</p>
2575       <p>You inspect the damage to the truck. Your fears are confirmed: you no longer have sufficient fuel to reach Kent. You siphon the tanks of the clansmen<ch.apos/>s bikes, and save what you can from the bottom of the two perforated fuel canisters, but you estimate that in total you have only enough to take you 120 miles.</p>
2576       <p>As you are leaving, you notice that the cave people are preparing a funeral pyre for those who were killed in the fighting. It strikes you as a very sensible and civilized way to dispose of the dead, and makes you think that perhaps your suspicions about these people were groundless after all. Your illusions about the cave people are soon shattered, however, when Kate points out that they are not burning the dead at all: they are cooking them.</p>
2577       <choice idref="sect56"><link-text>Turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
2578      </data>
2579     </section>
2580
2581     <section class="numbered" id="sect169">
2582      <meta><title>169</title></meta>
2583
2584      <data>
2585       <p>You slow your roadster to a halt and, with your hand held to your forehead to shield your eyes from the glare of the evening sun, you try to discern the source of the dust cloud.</p>
2586       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s no good,</quote> you say in frustration. <quote>I can<ch.apos/>t tell what<ch.apos/>s going down in that town.</quote></p>
2587       <p><quote>Me neither,</quote> says Kate, <quote>but I<ch.apos/>ve got a pretty good idea what<ch.apos/>s going on back there.</quote></p>
2588       <p>She points back along the highway at another dust cloud, which is fast approaching. You do not need binoculars to be able to tell that the dust is being stirred up by a pack of bikers that have come racing out of San Angelo.</p>
2589       <p><quote>I think it<ch.apos/>s time we were movin<ch.apos/> on,</quote> says Kate, uneasily.</p>
2590       <p><quote>I think you<ch.apos/>re right,</quote> you reply, as, hurriedly, you reach for the ignition switch. <quote>Let<ch.apos/>s detour around this town and follow the river. We can pick up the highway again at Eldorado.</quote></p>
2591       <p><quote>OK,</quote> she replies, <quote>but step on it Cal. Those bikes are movin<ch.apos/> real fast.</quote></p>
2592       <choice idref="sect317"><link-text>Turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
2593      </data>
2594     </section>
2595
2596     <section class="numbered" id="sect170">
2597      <meta><title>170</title></meta>
2598
2599      <data>
2600       <p>The sniper fires as he turns and his bullet drills deep into your chest. You feel yourself lifted into the air, and the warm taste of blood gushes into your mouth. Then you hit the floor and the momentary pain gives way to a terrifying numbness that robs you of all sensation. In a moment, you see the sniper working another round into the chamber of his rifle. Then he points the muzzle at your head and a total darkness engulfs your vision.</p>
2601       <deadend>Tragically, your mission and your life end here in Brogado.</deadend>
2602      </data>
2603     </section>
2604
2605     <section class="numbered" id="sect171">
2606      <meta><title>171</title></meta>
2607
2608      <data>