correcting issues reported by gblint.pl
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 02tfc.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14  <meta>
15   <title>The Forbidden City</title>
16   <creator class="author" sort-name="Page, Ian">Ian Page</creator>
17   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
18   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Bonner, Paul">Paul Bonner</creator>
19   <creator class="short">Ian Page and Joe Dever</creator>
20   <creator class="medium">
21    <line>Ian Page</line>
22    <line>Illustrated by Paul Bonner</line>
23    <line>Edited by Joe Dever</line>
24   </creator>
25   <creator class="long">
26    &inclusion.ian.page.bio.gs;
27    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.gs;
28    &inclusion.paul.bonner.bio.gs;
29   </creator>
30   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
31   <date class="publication"><year>2018</year><month>2</month><day>15</day></date>
32   <description class="blurb">
33    <p>You are the Wizard Grey Star. Your quest is to retrieve the legendary Moonstone and with its power throw down the evil Wytch-king. You must find the Shadow Gate<ch.emdash/>doorway to the magic realm where it lies hidden. When the moon is full, the Shadow Gate appears<ch.emdash/>in Desolation Valley beyond the Mountains of Morn, where you must dare <strong>The Forbidden City</strong>.</p>
34    <p>The Wytch-king will try to track you down. His slaves will dog your every step<ch.emdash/>the cruel warriors of Shadaki, the phantom spirit of the Deathgaunt and the dark horror of the demon Kleas<ch.aacute/>. Only your Magical Powers and the might of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff can protect you in a terrifying adventure of madness, magic, and menace!</p>
35    <p><cite>The World of Lone Wolf</cite> is an exciting adventure series in which you are the hero, you make the decisions, and you fight the combats using the unique systems included in the book.</p>
36   </description>
37   <description class="publication">
38    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
39   </description>
40   <rights class="copyrights">
41    <line>Concept copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Joe Dever and Gary Chalk. </line>
42    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Ian Page.</line>
43    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Paul Bonner.</line>
44   </rights>
45   <rights class="license-notification">
46    <p>
47     <line>Concept copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Joe Dever and Gary Chalk.</line>
48     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Ian Page.</line>
49     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1985 Paul Bonner.</line>
50     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
51    </p>
52   </rights>
53  </meta>
54
55  <section id="toc">
56   <meta />
57   <data />
58  </section>
59
60  <section id="title">
61   <meta>
62    <title>Title Page</title>
63    <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
64   </meta>
65
66   <data>
67
68    <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
69     <meta>
70      <title>Dedication</title>
71      <link class="prev" idref="title" />
72      <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
73     </meta>
74
75     <data>
76      <p class="dedication">For Julie</p>
77     </data>
78    </section>
79
80    <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
81     <meta>
82      <title>Acknowledgements</title>
83      <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
84      <link class="next" idref="coming" />
85     </meta>
86
87     <data>
88
89     &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
90
91      <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
92       <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
93
94       <data>
95        <dl>
96         <dt>Transcription</dt>
97          <dd>Ryan Cross</dd>
98         <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
99          <dd>
100           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
101           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
102          </dd>
103         <dt>XML</dt>
104          <dd>
105           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
106           <line>Jeff Dougan </line>
107           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
108           <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
109          </dd>
110         <dt>Replacement Illustrations</dt>
111          <dd>
112           <line>JC Alvarez (Action Charts)</line>
113           <line>Jonathan Blake (Extramatter Charts and Tables)</line>
114           <line>Christopher Lundgren (Map and Small Illustrations)</line>
115          </dd>
116         <dt>Proofreading</dt>
117          <dd>Simon Osborne</dd>
118         <dt>Editing</dt>
119          <dd>
120           <line>David Davis</line>
121           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
122           <line>Benjamin Krefetz</line>
123           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
124           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
125           <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
126          </dd>
127 <!--        <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
128          <dd>
129           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
130           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
131          </dd> -->
132         <dt>Coordination</dt>
133          <dd>
134           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
135           <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
136          </dd>
137         <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
138          <dd>Marc Cassel, Thomas Frost, Kayvohn Kazemi, Michael Kelly, David Ratliff</dd>
139        </dl>
140       </data>
141      </section>
142
143     </data>
144    </section>
145
146    <section class="frontmatter" id="coming">
147     <meta>
148      <title>Of the Coming of Grey Star</title>
149      <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
150      <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
151     </meta>
152
153     <data>
154      <p>Ancient days they were when first the Shianti set foot upon the land that men call Magnamund. Long had they journeyed through the void, homeless wanderers in search of a pace to call their own. And so it was that when the Shianti first looked upon the face of the land, their hearts were raised in wonder. They saw a world of nameless mountains, untamed forests, and lands both wild and free. Here they chose to cease their wanderings and to devote themselves to the study and appreciation of this newfound land.</p>
155      <p>To the delight of the Shianti, the race of man first emerged at this time and they watched his early struggle towards civilization with eager concern. Like gods, the Shianti seemed to the minds of primitive men. Tall and proud, shining with a radiance that spoke of magic and arcane mystery, the Shianti moved among them and with their powers of wizardry, aided man in his development.</p>
156      <p>As the centuries passed, man fell to worship of the magical Shianti and the power of these wizards grew even stronger. With hungry hearts they sought to unlock the mysteries of knowledge, sending their minds into other planes of existence and strange worlds beyond the sphere of the material plane. Their foresight was now unmatched and the power of their thought was mighty indeed. It was at this time that they created the Moonstone. Woven of the very fabric of the astral plane of Daziarn, this translucent gem was the greatest achievement of Shianti wisdom. It was the binding force of all Shianti magic, containing the combined might of all their wizardry, the sum of all their knowledge. The Golden Age of the Shianti had come and the Moonstone was the instrument of their dominion throughout all Magnamund. Man stood as little more than a shadow, blinded by the shining white light of Shianti glory. But, in creating the Moonstone, the unwritten laws of nature had been transgressed. For the Moonstone, like the Shianti themselves, was something outside of man<ch.apos/>s own world; it defied the natural order laid down by the creators of Magnamund and disrupted the balance that the gods had designed.</p>
157      <p>The Goddess Ishir, High Priestess of the Moon and mother of all men, showed herself to the Shianti and spoke to them of the destiny of man: <quote>The children of this world must claim their inheritance. Their time has come and they must learn to stand alone. They are lost in their worship of you and the day draws ever nearer when they will covet the power of the Moonstone.</quote></p>
158      <p>And the Shianti said: <quote>Forgive us, Great Goddess, for we intended no harm. We love mankind even as you do. We have sought to do good and protect your children from harm.</quote></p>
159      <p>But Ishir replied, <quote>Of this there can be no doubt, but this world is not your realm. Man must be free to pursue his destiny alone, and you must leave, for you trespass on his domain.</quote></p>
160      <p>The Shianti were filled with sorrow. They feared a return to the void and to their lonely wandering, and pleaded with Ishir that she might allow them to remain. Ishir was filled with pity for them. She spoke again, saying, <quote>If you are to remain, you must obey my command. You must take a vow never to interfere with mankind<ch.apos/>s fate. As a token of good faith you must lay aside the Moonstone, and return it to the plane where it belongs.</quote></p>
161      <p>Solemnly, the Shianti agreed. The vow was sworn before Ishir, and the Moonstone was returned to the Daziarn. The Shianti then moved south to the Isle of Lorn. They encircled their new home with a web of enchantments, magical mists, and mage winds to prevent man from ever finding their place of refuge in the Sea of Dreams. Knowledge of the Shianti faded with time, save in southern Magnamund where it became enshrined in legend, and the worship of them endured. Priests of the Shianti religion preserved their teachings and patiently awaited the day when the <quote>ancient ones</quote> would return, bringing with them lasting peace and the blessing of a new golden age.</p>
162      <p>Two thousand years strode by and man advanced as Ishir had foretold. He built great cities and cultivated the land; his kingdoms rose and fell; he made war and loved and laughed and became master of his fate. But a new power was emerging in the province of Shadaki. There Shasarak the evil Wytch-king ruled. The black necromancer commanded an army of brutal soldiers and had a devoted following of men who upheld his religion of demonic worship and sacrificial rites. Devotees of the Shianti and other religious cults were persecuted in a merciless purge. Ruthlessly, the Wytch-king destroyed all his opponents and began a terrible war with the peoples of the neighbouring provinces. From the ruins of war Shasarak shaped the Shadakine Empire, subjugating whole nations to his evil rule. As the provinces fell to his might, the Shianti looked on helplessly, bound by their vow to the Goddess Ishir never to interfere in the affairs of man.</p>
163      <p>On the night of the crowning of Shasarak as Overlord of the Shadakine Empire, a great storm broke upon the Sea of Dreams, a storm that raged with unnatural intensity. Lashed by wind and rain, illuminated by wild lightning, the waters heaved and danced in fury to the thundering music of the storm, unchecked by even the enchantments of the Shianti. When finally the tempest died, the Shianti looked out in amazement on the shattered hull of a ship drifting towards their shore. Never before had this occurred, for the enchantments and mage winds had kept them secure from the curiosity of man by forcing him to sail close to his own land.</p>
164      <p>The Shianti went quickly to the ruined ship where they found only one survivor<ch.emdash/>a baby. They perceived the sudden arrival of this human child as a sign of great portent, and they conceived a plan by which they might lawfully aid mankind. They named the orphan child Grey Star, because a star is the symbol of hope in the Shianti faith, and because of the silver streak in the child<ch.apos/>s jet-black hair. In the shadow of the wrath of the Goddess Ishir, they raised the child as one of their own and taught him their secrets. Diligently they set about their instruction, for their aim was to provide a saviour for mankind. Armed with the might of Shianti wizardry and wisdom, their hope was to create an adversary equal in power to the evil Wytch-king of Shadaki, for they realized that only with the death of Shasarak would man once more be free to determine his destiny.</p>
165     </data>
166    </section>
167
168    <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
169     <meta>
170      <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
171      <link class="prev" idref="coming" />
172      <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
173     </meta>
174
175     <data>
176      <p>You are Grey Star, trained in the ancient lore of a Shianti Wizard. For sixteen years you dwelt in safety on the Isle of Lorn, the hidden realm of the magical Shianti race, until Acarya, High Wizard of the Shianti sent you upon a dangerous quest to save your own people, the race of man, from Shasarak, the tyrannical Wytch-king of Shadaki. Held by their ancient vow to the goddess Ishir, the Shianti are unable to leave their island and come to the aid of man themselves. As a human, no such promise prohibits you from leaving the island and you have been sent to recover the Moonstone and use its power to throw down the Wytch-king.</p>
177      <p>The Moonstone, an artefact possessing the combined force of all Shianti power, is hidden on the Daziarn plane, which can only be entered by finding one of its portals. You seek the Shadow Gate, but it never remains in one place for longer than a day and is invisible to human sight. For this reason you began to search for the <quote>Lost Tribe of Lara,</quote> a race of magical, but primitive creatures called the Kundi. They possess the gift of Astral Vision, enabling them to see magic portals and gateways to other planes and dimensions. Once, the Kundi inhabited the forests of the Mountains of Lara. When Shasarak<ch.apos/>s Shadakine army first invaded the free provinces of the south, they came by way of the Mountains of Lara, through the Morn Pass. The Shadakine armies were constantly ambushed and delayed by the Kundi as they made their way south, and the Kundi always eluded them, disappearing into the dense forest before the Shadakine could retaliate. Finally, in desperation, the Wytch-king burnt down the mountain<ch.apos/>s forests and the Kundi were forced to flee from his wrath and disappeared. Only the vision and the guidance of a Kundi man will enable you to enter the Daziarn plane and find the Moonstone, and less than a month ago you began your search.</p>
178      <p>Voyaging across the Sea of Dreams, you came first to the city of Suhn, the largest port in the Shadakine Empire. There you befriended a cheerful merchant named Shan Li, a widely travelled man with a wry sense of humour. Your questions about the Lost Tribe, enemies of the Shadakine Empire, aroused much suspicion. You were taken to the dungeons of the House of Correction, the Shadakine prison of Suhn and subjected to the truthsay of Mother Magri, Shadakine Wytch and Law-giver. With the power of the Kazim Stone, she attempted to read your mind, but you were able to preserve the secret of your quest.</p>
179      <p>It was with the help of Tanith, a young, beautiful girl, learning the ways of wytchcraft in the service of Mother Magri, that you made your escape from the House of Correction. Her courage and intelligence were invaluable as you escaped the pursuit of the Shadakine. With Shan as your guide you eventually turned south and headed toward the region known as the Azanam, for it seemed likely that the Lost Tribe might be found there. But the vengeance of Mother Magri was not so easily avoided. Using the power of the Kazim Stone, she summoned a Kleas<ch.aacute/>, a demon shadow that feeds upon the soul and will of others, since it has no soul of its own. Neither your Magical Powers, nor the might of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff seemed able to defeat the Kleas<ch.aacute/> and it had almost destroyed you when Tanith cast a spell and called the demon against her. She was totally consumed by the Kleas<ch.aacute/> and both disappeared in flame. Her brave sacrifice saved your life.</p>
180      <p>With a heavy heart, you and Shan continued south, entering the arid desert of the Azagad Gorge. Here, Shan fell, poisoned and consumed by a Quoku, the flying amphibian indigenous to those parts. After a desperate chase through the tunnels of a Cave Mantiz nest (giant insects that lair within the cliff) you eventually reached the jungles of the Azanam, and there, high in their towering treetop home, you found the Lost Tribe of Lara. But your arrival was met with great suspicion: the Kundi did not believe that you had been sent by the Shianti. In the house of Okosa, the Kundi King, Urik the Wise, their strange, eccentric shaman and elder of their tribe, challenged you to prove you were truly sent by the Shianti by answering a strange riddle:</p>
181      <blockquote>
182       <p>
183        <line><ch.lsquot/>Wise Shianti and Kundi man,</line>
184        <line>Look eye to eye in tree,</line>
185        <line>Shianti man see Kundi man,</line>
186        <line>But what does Kundi see?<ch.rsquot/></line>
187       </p>
188      </blockquote>
189      <p>To discover the answer to the riddle and to continue your search for the Moonstone and the Shadow Gate that leads there, turn to <a idref="sect1">Section 1</a>.</p>
190     </data>
191    </section>
192
193    <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
194     <meta>
195      <title>The Game Rules</title>
196      <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
197      <link class="next" idref="powers" />
198     </meta>
199
200     <footnotes>
201      <footnote id="gamerulz-1-foot" idref="gamerulz-1">
202       <p>If you have completed <cite>Grey Star the Wizard</cite>, your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score will be zero before you begin this book. It doesn<ch.apos/>t seem fair to start this book with only 10 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, so you may choose to create a new <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score by choosing a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and adding 20. You may also choose to add the 10 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point bonus to this new score.</p>
203       <p>Alternatively, you may wish to use your original <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score from the beginning of <cite>Grey Star the Wizard</cite>, and add 10 bonus points to this.</p>
204      </footnote>
205      <footnote id="gamerulz-2-foot" idref="gamerulz-2"><p>If you choose Alchemy as your new Magical Power, you also receive a Herb Pouch with contents, as detailed in the <a idref="equipmnt">Equipment</a> section.</p></footnote>
206      <footnote id="gamerulz-4-foot" idref="gamerulz-4"><p>There are sections of this book that describe how you use a Magical Power and how many <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you spend, without giving you a choice and without taking into account that you may not have the required number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points left. You may choose to simply subtract the specified number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative.</p>
207       <p>Alternatively, you may wish to use a method given in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref>, which contains one such case of mandated use of magic: If you do not have enough <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, then you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point you lack (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point). If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score falls to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over.</p>
208       <p>Note that you may never <em>choose</em> to use a Magical Power or your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff if you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. This method also cannot be used in cases where you lose <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points for a reason other than using magic, for instance as a result of mental or magical attacks. In these cases, you may end up with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score.</p></footnote>
209        <footnote id="gamerulz-3-foot" idref="gamerulz-3"><p>It is possible for your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> to fall below zero. For example, if you are the victim of an attack that drains your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>, your score may be forced below zero. If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you will not be able to cast spells or use the magical properties of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff until your score is again above zero. You can still use your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff in combat as a normal weapon, but you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p></footnote>
210       </footnotes>
211
212     <data>
213      <p>If you have already completed <bookref series="gs" book="01gstw"><cite>Grey Star the Wizard</cite></bookref> (<bookref series="gs" book="01gstw">Book 1</bookref> of the World of Lone Wolf series), you already have your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>, <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and your Magical Powers. In the course of your adventure your powers of wizardry have grown and so you may add 10 to your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> total<footref id="gamerulz-1" idref="gamerulz-1-foot"/> and choose one more <a idref="powers">Magical Power</a>.<footref id="gamerulz-2" idref="gamerulz-2-foot"/> All weapons and Special Items that you held at the end of <bookref series="gs" book="01gstw">Book 1</bookref> should be entered on a fresh <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. You are now ready to begin this adventure.</p>
214      <p>If this is your first adventure, read on<ch.ellips/></p>
215      <p>To keep a record of your adventure, use the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
216      <p>Before you set off on your adventure, you must discover how well your Shianti masters have prepared you for your quest by determining your fighting prowess<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ><ch.emdash/>your state of mind<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ><ch.emdash/>and your physical stamina<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. To do this take a pencil and, with eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick 0 it counts as zero.</p>
217      <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 10 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 4 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 14). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.</p>
218      <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 6 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have a <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> of 26). If you decide to use a spell or utilize the power of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, then you will lose <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you may not use any of your spells<footref id="gamerulz-4" idref="gamerulz-4-foot"/> or your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff.<footref id="gamerulz-3" idref="gamerulz-3-foot"/> Lost <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, and it is possible for your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to rise above the total with which you start your adventure.</p>
219      <p>The third number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (e.g. if your pencil fell on the number 6 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 26 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). If you are wounded in combat, you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure but can never rise above the number with which you start your adventure.</p>
220
221      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="powers">
222       <meta>
223        <title>Magical Powers</title>
224        <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
225        <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
226       </meta>
227
228       <footnotes>
229        <footnote id="powers-1-foot" idref="powers-1"><p>If your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> falls to zero or below, you will not be able to use the magical properties of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff until your score is again above zero. You can still use your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff in combat as a normal weapon, but you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p></footnote>
230       </footnotes>
231
232       <data>
233        <p>When you start your adventure, your education in the ways of wizardry is incomplete. You have mastered only <em>five</em> of the seven Magical Powers that the Shianti call the <typ class="ital">Lesser Magicks</typ>. The choice of which five Powers these are is up to you. All of the Lesser Magicks may be of use to you at some point on your quest, so choose them with care. Your survival may depend on the correct use of a Magical Power at the right time.</p>
234        <p>The seven Magical Powers available to you are listed below. When you have chosen your five Powers, enter them in the Magical Powers section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
235
236        <section class="frontmatter" id="sorcery">
237         <meta><title>Sorcery</title></meta>
238
239         <data>
240          <illustration class="inline">
241           <meta>
242            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
243           </meta>
244           <instance class="html" src="sorcery.png" width="386" height="122"  mime-type="image/png"/>
245           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sorcery.gif" width="386" height="122"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
246           <instance class="pdf" src="sorcery.pdf" width="386" height="122" />
247          </illustration>
248
249          <illustration class="accent" id="sorcery-ill">
250           <meta>
251            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
252           </meta>
253           <instance class="html" src="sorcery.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
254           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sorcery.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
255           <instance class="pdf" src="sorcery.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
256          </illustration>
257
258          <p><a idref="sorcery-ill" class="accent-illustration" />This Power allows a wizard to transform his thoughts or desires into magical energy. By concentration of the will it is possible to create magical shields of force to bar doors or move objects. Sorcery drains more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points than any other Magical Power, and is most effective when your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points are high.</p>
259          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Sorcery</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
260         </data>
261        </section>
262
263        <section class="frontmatter" id="enchant">
264         <meta><title>Enchantment</title></meta>
265
266         <data>
267          <illustration class="inline">
268           <meta>
269            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
270           </meta>
271           <instance class="html" src="enchant.png" width="386" height="130"  mime-type="image/png"/>
272           <instance class="html-compatible" src="enchant.gif" width="386" height="130"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
273           <instance class="pdf" src="enchant.pdf" width="386" height="130" />
274          </illustration>
275
276          <illustration class="accent" id="enchant-ill">
277           <meta>
278            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
279           </meta>
280           <instance class="html" src="enchant.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
281           <instance class="html-compatible" src="enchant.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
282           <instance class="pdf" src="enchant.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
283          </illustration>
284
285          <p><a idref="enchant-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of Enchantment enables a wizard to charm or beguile other creatures, and create illusions in the minds of others. He will be able to extract information from others, place thoughts and compulsions into another<ch.apos/>s mind, or cause them to believe that imaginary events are actually taking place. Some magical or highly intelligent beings may be immune to the powers of Enchantment.</p>
286          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Enchantment</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
287         </data>
288        </section>
289
290        <section class="frontmatter" id="elementl">
291         <meta><title>Elementalism</title></meta>
292
293         <data>
294          <illustration class="inline">
295           <meta>
296            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
297           </meta>
298           <instance class="html" src="elementl.png" width="386" height="118"  mime-type="image/png"/>
299           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elementl.gif" width="386" height="118"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
300           <instance class="pdf" src="elementl.pdf" width="386" height="118" />
301          </illustration>
302
303          <illustration class="accent" id="elementl-ill">
304           <meta>
305            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
306           </meta>
307           <instance class="html" src="elementl.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
308           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elementl.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
309           <instance class="pdf" src="elementl.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
310          </illustration>
311
312          <p><a idref="elementl-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of elemental magic allows a wizard some control over the natural elements of Air, Fire, Earth, and Water. By entering a trance and chanting incantations, you may summon aid from the spirits of the Elemental Plane. Elementals have very little understanding of man, and for this reason a wizard can never be sure of the nature of the aid the Elementals may send.</p>
313          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Elementalism</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
314         </data>
315        </section>
316
317        <section class="frontmatter" id="alchemy">
318         <meta><title>Alchemy</title></meta>
319
320         <data>
321          <illustration class="inline">
322           <meta>
323            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
324           </meta>
325           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/png"/>
326           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="386" height="121"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
327           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="386" height="121" />
328          </illustration>
329
330          <illustration class="accent" id="alchemy-ill">
331           <meta>
332            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
333           </meta>
334           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
335           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
336           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
337          </illustration>
338
339          <p><a idref="alchemy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />A wizard who possesses the Power of Alchemy is able, through the mixing of various substances, to create magical potions. Given the correct ingredients, a potion may restore lost energy (i.e. <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>), or temporarily improve various abilities (e.g. <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>). The use of Alchemy may also allow a wizard to alter the nature of substances (e.g. change lead into gold), but the necessary ingredients and the correct equipment (e.g. a pestle and mortar) must be at hand. The use of the Power of Alchemy drains no <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>.</p>
340          <p>If you choose this Power write <quote>Alchemy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
341         </data>
342        </section>
343
344        <section class="frontmatter" id="prophecy">
345         <meta><title>Prophecy</title></meta>
346
347         <data>
348          <illustration class="inline">
349           <meta>
350            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
351           </meta>
352           <instance class="html" src="prophecy.png" width="386" height="123"  mime-type="image/png"/>
353           <instance class="html-compatible" src="prophecy.gif" width="386" height="123"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
354           <instance class="pdf" src="prophecy.pdf" width="386" height="123" />
355          </illustration>
356
357          <illustration class="accent" id="prophecy-ill">
358           <meta>
359            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
360           </meta>
361           <instance class="html" src="prophecy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
362           <instance class="html-compatible" src="prophecy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
363           <instance class="pdf" src="prophecy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
364          </illustration>
365
366          <p><a idref="prophecy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />The Power of Prophecy allows a wizard to foretell the future through meditation. A meditative state will allow a wizard to make the correct decision when facing conflicting choices or difficult actions; to discover the whereabouts of a person he has once met, or an object he has once seen. It may also allow him to determine the true nature of a stranger or a strange object. Magical beings or objects are sometimes hidden from the Power of Prophecy.</p>
367          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Prophecy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
368         </data>
369        </section>
370
371        <section class="frontmatter" id="psycmncy">
372         <meta><title>Psychomancy</title></meta>
373
374         <data>
375          <illustration class="inline">
376           <meta>
377            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
378           </meta>
379           <instance class="html" src="psycmncy.png" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/png"/>
380           <instance class="html-compatible" src="psycmncy.gif" width="386" height="126"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
381           <instance class="pdf" src="psycmncy.pdf" width="386" height="126" />
382          </illustration>
383
384          <illustration class="accent" id="psycmncy-ill">
385           <meta>
386            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
387           </meta>
388           <instance class="html" src="psycmncy.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
389           <instance class="html-compatible" src="psycmncy.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
390           <instance class="pdf" src="psycmncy.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
391          </illustration>
392
393          <p><a idref="psycmncy-ill" class="accent-illustration" />This Power bestows upon a wizard the ability to deduce facts about events by touching objects connected to them. Through deep concentration, a wizard may lay his hands upon any inanimate object and visualize scenes that have affected it. Visions brought about through the use of Psychomancy are often cryptic, taking the form of a riddle or puzzle. Some magic items are resistant to the use of Psychomancy and may, sometimes, impart misleading information.</p>
394          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Psychomancy</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
395         </data>
396        </section>
397
398        <section class="frontmatter" id="evcation">
399         <meta><title>Evocation</title></meta>
400
401         <data>
402          <illustration class="inline">
403           <meta>
404            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
405           </meta>
406           <instance class="html" src="evcation.png" width="386" height="131"  mime-type="image/png"/>
407           <instance class="html-compatible" src="evcation.gif" width="386" height="131"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
408           <instance class="pdf" src="evcation.pdf" width="386" height="131" />
409          </illustration>
410
411          <illustration class="accent" id="evcation-ill">
412           <meta>
413            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
414           </meta>
415           <instance class="html" src="evcation.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
416           <instance class="html-compatible" src="evcation.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
417           <instance class="pdf" src="evcation.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
418          </illustration>
419
420          <p><a idref="evcation-ill" class="accent-illustration" />Mastery of this Power permits contact with the spirit realm. A wizard wishing to speak with the dead, or to call up a form from the spirit world, must draw a magic pentacle and enter a trance, when the use of the correct spell-chant will reach out to the Spiritual Plane. Standing within the protection of a magic pentacle, a wizard may consider himself to be relatively safe from harm. If he wishes to speak with a corpse, especially one whose former life was good and righteous, then a wizard can expect help and advice. However, contact with those whose former lives were evil or selfish can be a perilous, and often fatal, experience. Evil spirits are reluctant to return to the realm of the dead and may try to trick a wizard into freeing them into the world of the living. All spirits, good and evil, will require some service of the wizard in return for their aid. Any failure to perform this task, however difficult, may result in the wizard losing his life.</p>
421          <p>If you choose this Power, write <quote>Evocation</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
422         </data>
423        </section>
424
425        <section class="frontmatter" id="staff">
426         <meta><title>Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff</title></meta>
427
428         <data>
429          <illustration class="inline">
430           <meta>
431            <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
432           </meta>
433           <instance class="html" src="staff.gif" width="386" height="120" mime-type="image/gif" />
434           <instance class="html" src="staff.png" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/png"/>
435           <instance class="html-compatible" src="staff.gif" width="386" height="120"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
436           <instance class="pdf" src="staff.pdf" width="386" height="120" />
437          </illustration>
438
439          <illustration class="accent" id="staff-ill">
440           <meta>
441            <creator>Christopher Lundgren</creator>
442           </meta>
443           <instance class="html" src="staff.png" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/png"/>
444           <instance class="html-compatible" src="staff.gif" width="112" height="141"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
445           <instance class="pdf" src="staff.pdf" width="112" height="141" />
446          </illustration>
447
448          <p><a idref="staff-ill" class="accent-illustration" />Your Staff is your most valuable possession. It looks and feels like an ordinary quarterstaff, yet it is stronger than any known metal. This is your main combat weapon, for you are untrained in the use of any other form of armed combat. It contains a potent force that is unleashed at will by the power of your mind, and causes a beam of destructive power to hurtle from its tip. Every time you unleash this power you must deduct 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.<footref id="powers-1" idref="powers-1-foot"/></p>
449          <p>In the event that your enemy survives such an attack or should you fall victim to a surprise attack, you will be forced to engage in close combat and must attempt to strike your enemy with the Staff. If your attack is successful, a bolt of energy will be released from the Staff that is capable of inflicting great physical harm. If you wish to increase the amount of damage that you inflict in this way, you must use more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and multiply the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by the enemy, accordingly. For example, if you chose to expend 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points on your attack, all enemy <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses would be multiplied by three.</p>
450          <p>If you enter combat without your Staff, deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you have no weapon at all, you must deduct 8 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
451         </data>
452        </section>
453
454       </data>
455      </section>
456
457      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
458       <meta>
459        <title>Equipment</title>
460        <link class="prev" idref="powers" />
461        <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
462       </meta>
463
464       <footnotes>
465        <footnote id="equipmnt-1-foot" idref="equipmnt-1"><p>If you have mastered the Lesser Magick of Alchemy and therefore have a Herb Pouch, you may choose to keep potions, vials, or ingredients in either the Herb Pouch or your Backpack. All other Backpack Items must be kept in your Backpack.</p></footnote>
466       <footnote id="equipmnt-2-foot" idref="equipmnt-2">
467        <p>The Collector<ch.apos/>s Editions of the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books clarify that <quote>You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</quote></p>
468       </footnote>
469      </footnotes>
470
471
472       <!-- WOLM: formatting aligned with GStW, this is is not noted as errata -->
473       <data>
474        <p>You wear the grey robe and hooded cloak of a Shianti Wizard. Your only weapon is your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff (note this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> under Weapons). You wear a Backpack containing 4 Meals (note under Meals on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>), and you have been given a <a idref="map">map of the Shadakine Empire</a> (note under Special Items on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>) which you place inside your robe.</p>
475        <p>If you have chosen Alchemy as one of your Magical Powers, then you will have a leather pouch for herbs and potions hanging from your belt. The Herb Pouch contains the following:</p>
476
477        <ul>
478         <li>2 empty Vials for carrying potions</li>
479         <li>1 Vial containing Saltpetre</li>
480         <li>1 Vial containing Sulphur</li>
481        </ul>
482
483        <p>Mark these 4 items in your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
484        <p>Your Herb Pouch will carry a maximum of eight items.</p>
485
486        <section class="frontmatter" id="howcarry">
487         <meta><title>How to Carry Equipment</title></meta>
488
489         <data>
490          <p>Now that you have your equipment, the following list shows you how it is carried. You do not need to make notes, but you should refer back to this list in the course of your adventure.</p>
491
492          <ul>
493           <li>Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
494           <li>Backpack<ch.emdash/>slung over the shoulder.</li>
495           <li>Meals<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
496          </ul>
497         </data>
498        </section>
499
500       <section class="frontmatter" id="howmuch">
501         <meta><title>How Much Can You Carry?</title></meta>
502
503         <data>
504          <dl>
505           <dt>Weapons</dt>
506            <dd>The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is <em>two</em>. Your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff counts as one weapon.</dd>
507
508           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
509            <dd>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may only keep a maximum of eight articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.</dd>
510
511           <dt>Special Items</dt>
512            <dd>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.</dd>
513
514           <dt>Nobles (Shadakine currency)</dt>
515            <dd>These are carried in the pocket of your robe.</dd>
516
517           <dt>Food</dt>
518            <dd>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.</dd>
519          </dl>
520
521         <p>Any item that may be of use and can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> is given Capital letters in the text. Unless you are told it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.<footref id="equipmnt-1" idref="equipmnt-1-foot"/></p>
522         </data>
523        </section>
524
525        <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
526         <meta><title>How to Use Your Equipment</title></meta>
527
528         <data>
529          <dl>
530           <dt>Weapons</dt>
531            <dd>Your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> depends on your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. If you do not possess your Staff when you enter combat you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you enter a combat without a weapon, deduct 8 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight with your bare hands. If you find a weapon during the adventure, you may pick it up and use it. (Remember that you can only carry <em>two</em> Weapons at once.)<footref id="equipmnt-2" idref="equipmnt-2-foot"/></dd>
532
533           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
534            <dd>During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may wish to keep. (Remember that you can only carry a maximum of eight items in your Backpack at any one time.) You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</dd>
535
536           <dt>Special Items</dt>
537            <dd>Each Special Item has a particular purpose or effect. You may be told this when the item is discovered, or it may be revealed to you as the adventure progresses.</dd>
538
539           <dt>Currency</dt>
540            <dd>The currency of the Shadakine Empire is the Noble, which is a small jade stone. The system of money is alien to the Shianti, and for this reason you begin your adventure with no money. Whenever you kill an enemy, you may take any Nobles belonging to him and keep them in the pocket of your robe.</dd>
541
542           <dt>Food</dt>
543            <dd>You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</dd>
544          </dl>
545         </data>
546        </section>
547       </data>
548      </section>
549
550      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
551       <meta>
552        <title>Rules for Combat</title>
553        <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
554        <link class="next" idref="sage" />
555       </meta>
556
557       <data>
558        <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Grey Star<ch.apos/>s aim during the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while at the same time losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible himself.</p>
559        <p>At the start of a combat, enter Grey Star<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
560        <p>The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
561        <ol class="paragraphed">
562         <li><p>Calculate your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total, based on the weapon you are using. (Remember, if you enter combat without your Staff, you must deduct 6 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you have no weapon at all, you must deduct 8 points.)</p></li>
563         <li><p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p></li>
564         <li>
565          <p><a id="stage3">If you are using your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff</a>, decide how many <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you wish to use. (Remember, you must expend at least 1 point.) Enter this number on your Combat Record in the box marked <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>.</p>
566          <p>Example</p>
567          <p>Grey Star (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 15, <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> 23) is ambushed by a Deathgaunt (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 20). He is not given the opportunity to evade combat, but he can use his Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff against the creature as it swoops down on him. He subtracts the Deathgaunt<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.minus/>5. (15 <ch.minus/> 20 = <ch.minus/>5). <ch.minus/>5 is noted on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio. Grey Star decides to use 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, which is noted on the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> box of the Combat Record.</p></li>
568         <li><p>When you have decided upon the number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you wish to use, and you have determined your Combat Ratio, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
569         <li>
570          <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked. (The random numbers appear on the side of the chart.) You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by Grey Star. To calculate the number lost by the enemy, multiply the number listed for the enemy by the number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points that Grey Star elected to use. Now you have the final number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Grey Star and his enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; GS represents points lost by Grey Star.)</p>
571          <p>Example</p>
572          <p>The Combat Ratio between Grey Star and the Deathgaunt has been established as <ch.minus/>5, and Grey Star<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points used as 2. If the number taken from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 6, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
573          <ul>
574           <li>Grey Star loses 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
575           <li>Deathgaunt loses 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, multiplied by 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, giving a total of 10 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost in all.</li>
576          </ul>
577         </li>
578         <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat, and Grey Star<ch.apos/>s amended <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points total.</p></li>
579         <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
580         <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
581        </ol>
582
583        <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Grey Star are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Grey Star is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Grey Star proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
584
585        <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
586
587        <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
588         <meta>
589          <title>Evasion of Combat</title>
590         </meta>
591
592         <data>
593          <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only Grey Star may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but then that is the risk of running away! You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
594         </data>
595        </section>
596       </data>
597      </section>
598
599     </data>
600    </section>
601
602    <section class="frontmatter" id="sage">
603     <meta>
604      <title>Sage Advice</title>
605      <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
606      <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
607     </meta>
608
609     <data>
610      <p>You are about to embark on a quest of great peril, for your journey will take you to an unknown land that is dominated by evil. Refer to the <a idref="map">map</a> and make notes as you progress through the story: they are sure to be of great help to you in future adventures.</p>
611      <p>You will discover items that could be of help to you on your quest. Some Special Items may aid you in future <cite>Grey Star</cite> adventures, others may be red herrings of no real use at all; so be selective in what you decide to keep.</p>
612      <p>Be cautious in your use of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, as your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> is the energy source for your Magical Powers and your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. A <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score of zero or below will leave you weak and vulnerable to attack, unable to offer effective resistance.</p>
613      <p>Follow the path of wisdom, Wizard Grey Star. The way of fools is the road to destruction.</p>
614      <p>Good luck.</p>
615     </data>
616    </section>
617
618    <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
619     <meta>
620      <title>Numbered Sections</title>
621     </meta>
622
623     <data>
624      <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
625       <meta><title>1</title></meta>
626
627       <data>
628        <p>The room is silent. Okosa, the Kundi king, his servants, and Urik, the old Shaman of the Kundi tribe, look on intently as you concentrate on the strange riddle. Suddenly, the solution crystallizes in your mind.</p>
629        <blockquote>
630         <p>
631          <thought><line>Wise Shianti and Kundi man,</line>
632          <line>Look eye to eye<ch.ellips/></line></thought>
633         </p>
634        </blockquote>
635        <p>Of course! The eyes of the Shianti race have pupils like mirrored glass. Anyone looking into the eyes of a Shianti would see himself reflected there.</p>
636        <blockquote>
637         <p>
638          <thought><line>Shianti man see Kundi man</line>
639          <line>But what does Kundi see?</line></thought>
640         </p>
641        </blockquote>
642        <p>The Kundi man would see <em>himself!</em></p>
643        <p>You give your answer. At once, the tension in the atmosphere evaporates. The expressions on the faces of the assembled Kundi men change to a mixture of awe and respect, and Urik bows low. <quote>Welcome friend,</quote> he says, simply.</p>
644        <p>King Okosa steps forward and grips your hand firmly. <quote>Forgive us,</quote> he says. <quote>These troubled times<ch.ellips/>Shadakine wear many disguises. Evil have many faces. We give all help to Shianti child now we know he speak truth.</quote></p>
645        <p>You breathe a great sigh of relief, for without the aid of the Kundi your quest is doomed to failure. Only the eyes of a Kundi man are able to see the magical Shadow Gate, the door you must open before entering the realm of the Daziarn Plane where the Moonstone of the Shianti is hidden.</p>
646        <p>The exhaustion and fatigue of your adventure on your way to the cloud forest floods through you like a great wave that washes through your tired limbs. Before you can speak your thanks, you fall into a faint.</p>
647        <p>Through the haze of a dream, your senses pass from sleep to waking. Opening your eyes, you see the wrinkled face of Urik, gazing intently into your own. <quote>How<ch.ellips/>how long?</quote> you falter.</p>
648        <p><quote>Three days. Three nights. Deep sleep have healing ways<ch.emdash/>is true?</quote> Urik replies. You sit up in the hammock that has been your resting place these past three days and look around. Bright sunlight streams in through the window of the wooden chamber. The events of the past weeks rush through your mind. With some surprise, you note that your body is unmarked after the horrors of your ordeal. Even the Mantiz bite on your leg has disappeared.</p>
649        <p><quote>Kundi magic,</quote> Urik explains, mysteriously. Your tattered, grey robes, washed and repaired, are laid out for you, and when you have breakfasted on fresh rainwater and honey cakes, you are led out to meet King Okosa once more. You marvel at the breathtaking beauty of the cloud forest that is the home of the Kundi people. Urik leads, shambling along with his comical, bow-legged walk and toothless smile and you cross the wooden walkways that connect the tree houses of the Kundi. They nestle amongst the highest branches of giant Azawood trees, whose towering heights and leafy peaks draw moisture from the clouds themselves: the wooden turrets of a forest castle surrounded by an ocean of cloud.</p>
650         <illustration class="float">
651         <meta>
652          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
653          <description>The wooden turrets of a forest castle, surrounded by an ocean of cloud.</description>
654         </meta>
655         <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="635"  mime-type="image/png"/>
656         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="635"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
657         <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="635" />
658        </illustration>
659        <p>You are brought before the Kundi king once more. He and his advisers are gathered in the largest of the tree houses and old Urik ushers you in. <quote>You are well?</quote> the king asks. You nod your head and thank him and his people for treating you with such kindness.</p>
660        <p><quote>Long ago,</quote> the king continues, <quote>before Wytch-king, Shasarak, rose in the north, the Shianti and Kundi tribes<ch.emdash/>great friends. Shianti need magical sight of Kundi to look into other worlds, see other planes. Only Shianti can go there. Only Kundi can see there<ch.ellips/>We help each other. Learn many things. But when Shianti leave, Wytch-king lead Shadakine peoples against us, burning the forests of our home in Mountains of Lara. Now, Shianti send great wizard to destroy evil Wytch-king, throw down Shadakine. Kundi men give all their help, in honour of our friendship. How we aid you?</quote></p>
661        <p><quote>I must travel to the Daziarn plane and reclaim the Moonstone of old,</quote> you reply. <quote>My masters tell me that I must seek out the Shadow Gate, the doorway that is invisible to all but the eyes of the noble Kundi. I ask you for a guide to take me there.</quote></p>
662        <p>The king creases his brow. <quote>Shadow Gate come and go; never in one place for long,</quote> says King Okosa. <quote>Kundi eyes must see far; make prophecy for next place Shadow Gate appear. Only the keenest eyes among us can help you. I will name your guide.</quote> You search amongst the faces of those present, wondering which of the brave Kundi men will be chosen. <quote>Grey Star, I give you Urik the Wise,</quote> says the king, with a gesture of the hand.</p>
663        <p>You look with some surprise at Okosa<ch.apos/>s choice. Urik smiles back, a great toothless grin, and bows humbly. The Shaman looks far too old and frail to be able to face the likely dangers ahead, but without the <quote>sight</quote> of the ageing Shaman, your quest is hopeless. Perhaps, you think doubtfully, he has other talents?</p>
664        <p><quote>Waste no time. Start now,</quote> Urik says. <quote>Urik find Shadow Gate. Wizard see some <em>Kundi</em> magic now!</quote> He flashes you a sly smile. Not for the first time, you get the feeling that Urik is mocking you with his jibes about magic and wizards, as if he knows some great secret that others do not.</p>
665        <p><quote>I work a great spell,</quote> he announces to everyone, like an actor addressing an audience. <quote>Stand back! Give me room! I must find the Shadow Gate.</quote> A large circle forms and you watch Urik stride to the centre, his tail lashing and eyes glaring. You watch with some curiosity as he turns around and around, slowly at first, gradually increasing speed. He breathes deeply and often, hissing as he expels each breath from his lungs. Rags and feathers flutter and the tiny bells that he is wearing ring furiously. Soon, he is shouting and gibbering like a lunatic, arms waving in the air. You are barely able to suppress a snort of laughter but quickly check yourself, noticing that the Kundi look on with sombre expressions. Suddenly, Urik gives an ear-piercing scream, ceases his crazed, whirling dance, and spins to the floor, where he collapses in a heap. Startled, you go to help him but feel a restraining hand on your arm. <quote>No,</quote> a young Kundi man whispers. <quote>It is the trance. The rite is over<ch.emdash/>the visions come.</quote></p>
666        <p><quote>You mean there<ch.apos/>s more!</quote> you exclaim. Indeed, the show is not yet over. Urik has been silent for a short time, save for the panting of his protesting lungs. He sits up, straight-backed and stiff-limbed, his eyes wide and staring.</p>
667        <p><quote>I see mountains!</quote> he moans. <quote>Black mountains! And beyond<ch.ellips/>a wide valley, dead land, ash and dust. Everywhere darkness, darkness and<ch.ellips/>I<ch.ellips/>I see it<ch.emdash/>the Shadow Gate<ch.emdash/>beneath the light of a full moon.</quote></p>
668        <p>After heated discussion, all are agreed that the black mountains of Urik<ch.apos/>s vision must be the infamous Mountains of Morn, and the dead lands beyond, Desolation Valley, a wasted plain that lies on the other side of the mountains<ch.emdash/>the site of an ancient calamity. As Urik saw a full moon shining above the Shadow Gate, the Kundi are sure that it will appear somewhere in Desolation Valley at that time.</p>
669        <p><quote>Already it is the time of the new moon,</quote> says King Okosa.</p>
670        <p><quote>Two weeks,</quote> you breathe.</p>
671        <p><quote>Two weeks, Grey Star,</quote> says the king, <quote>and two hundred miles of Shadakine country, difficult mountains, and unknown wilderness, lie ahead. You have little time.</quote></p>
672        <p><quote>What do you think, Urik?</quote> you say.</p>
673        <p>Urik<ch.apos/>s ugly old face breaks into a knowing smile. <quote>Little time<ch.ellips/>much to do!</quote> he says, jovially. <quote>Urik have plan<ch.emdash/>cover many miles in just one day, leave Azanam far behind.</quote></p>
674        <p><quote>But how?</quote> you ask. <quote>When?</quote></p>
675        <p><quote>Great wizard must learn much patience,</quote> he replies. <quote>You will see. Be ready to leave tomorrow at first light.</quote> Urik will say no more and quickly leaves. You turn to the Kundi king. He merely shrugs his shoulders.</p>
676        <p><quote>Ways of the wise are strange,</quote> he says, <quote>and who dare question the path of wisdom?</quote> he finishes, cryptically. Like many Kundi sayings, it is one that begs no answer. It seems you have no choice other than to wait until tomorrow<ch.apos/>s dawn to find out the Shaman<ch.apos/>s plan.</p>
677        <choice idref="sect126"><link-text>Turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
678       </data>
679      </section>
680
681      <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
682       <meta><title>2</title></meta>
683
684       <data>
685        <p>Urik has routed out a supply of Lianor and hands you three of the blue tubers. Each tuber counts as one Meal and you store them in your Backpack. You set off at once, for the success of your quest depends on haste.</p>
686        <p>You travel for two days, through the swamp forest, clambering over a jumble of twisted roots. It is a tiring journey.</p>
687        <choice idref="sect45">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
688        <choice idref="sect71">If you do not have this Power, <link-text>turn to 71</link-text>.</choice>
689       </data>
690      </section>
691
692      <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
693       <meta><title>3</title></meta>
694
695       <data>
696        <p>You draw out the Pipes and blow but no sound emerges. Despite your brave efforts, you are cut down by the brutal Shadakine before the howling mob has reached you.</p>
697        <deadend>Your quest has failed and your life is over.</deadend>
698       </data>
699      </section>
700
701      <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
702       <meta><title>4</title></meta>
703
704       <data>
705        <p>A vast, amorphous mass of slime and mud, wreathed with vines and dead vegetation, rises up out of the quagmire you have just passed. It reaches out and grabs you while you remain entranced, and presses you against its filth-encrusted body in a crushing bear hug. (Lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.) You are being held by a Swamp Giant and it intends to squeeze the life out of you.</p>
706        <illustration class="float">
707         <meta>
708          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
709          <description>A mass of slime and mud rises up out of the quagmire; it is a Swamp Giant.</description>
710         </meta>
711         <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/png"/>
712         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
713         <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="644" />
714        </illustration>
715        <combat><enemy>Swamp Giant</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
716        <choice idref="sect65">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 65</link-text>.</choice>
717       </data>
718      </section>
719
720      <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
721       <meta><title>5</title></meta>
722
723       <data>
724        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
725        <p>If you possess the Magic Talisman of the Shianti, add 2 to this score.</p>
726        <p>If you possess the Silver Charm of Jnana the Wise, add 1 to this score.</p>
727        <choice idref="sect236">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 236</link-text>.</choice>
728        <choice idref="sect74">If your total is now 8<ch.endash/>12, <link-text>turn to 74</link-text>.</choice>
729       </data>
730      </section>
731
732      <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
733       <meta><title>6</title></meta>
734
735       <data>
736        <p>A wizard skilled in the use of Sorcery is able to use the power of a Mind Gem.</p>
737        <choice idref="sect238">If you possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
738        <choice idref="sect55">If you do not have a Mind Gem, <link-text>turn to 55</link-text>.</choice>
739       </data>
740      </section>
741
742      <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
743       <meta><title>7</title></meta>
744
745       <data>
746        <p>Still within the vision, you point towards the Element of Air. It floats towards you and you feel it entering the domain of Earth. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
747        <p>When you open your eyes, you see that the Shadakine have already reached the edge of the lake. Their leader shouts commands and they move into position, loading their weapons and preparing to fire. There is no sign of the Air Elementals.</p>
748        <p>The Shadakine leader gives a shout and the Shadakine warriors release a volley of crossbow bolts in your direction. Instinctively, you and Urik dive to the ground. You are dismayed; it seems that the Elementals have failed you. Then suddenly, a burst of astonished cries comes from the Shadakine as a colossal gust of wind tears past you. Looking up, you watch as the volley of quarrels is swept up and away by a whirlwind of dust and debris. The Elemental stands, man-high before you, the faint outline of a pair of eyes shining up from within the depths of its form. It is a Whirlghast, and the bolts of the Shadakine are unable to pass through it.</p>
749        <p><quote>Urik,</quote> you call, <quote>can we do anything about the Eijalfish?</quote> Another volley of bolts flies towards you, but they are spun in all directions by the Whirlghast. Urik produces a small boomerang from his tunic. Its edge is lined with a row of razor-sharp teeth. <quote>I try,</quote> he says.</p>
750        <p>Taking careful aim, he throws the boomerang towards the eyestalks of the Eijalfish. His aim is true; the boomerang slices an eye from its stalk before returning to land at his feet. Green blood marks the spot where the Eijalfish once lingered. <quote>We go now?</quote> Urik asks, a mischievous grin on his face as he bends to pick up his weapon.</p>
751        <choice idref="sect74"><link-text>Turn to 74</link-text>.</choice>
752       </data>
753      </section>
754
755      <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
756       <meta><title>8</title></meta>
757
758       <data>
759        <p>When you regain consciousness you find yourself in a bed in the Shadakine fortress. Urik is with you, his eyes full of concern. <quote>How did I get here?</quote> you ask.</p>
760        <p><quote>Samu, he carry you here. Him big man<ch.ellips/>fierce warrior.</quote></p>
761        <p><quote>How did the battle go?</quote> Urik tells you of the victory of the Freedom Guild and the complete rout of all Shadakine forces within the city. A small blow has been struck for freedom against Shasarak, the evil Wytch-king.</p>
762        <choice idref="sect133"><link-text>Turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
763       </data>
764      </section>
765
766      <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
767       <meta><title>9</title></meta>
768
769       <data>
770        <p>You slip into a deserted side street, Urik tut-tutting in your ear.</p>
771        <p><quote>Such noise! Such fuss! Wizard like to prove himself, eh?</quote></p>
772        <p>You give Urik a hard stare but resist the urge to snap back at him. <quote>How are we going to get out of here?</quote> you mutter.</p>
773        <p><quote>Who knows; start another fire perhaps?</quote> replies Urik, sarcastically. You turn to face Urik and begin to argue until suddenly Urik falls quiet and pales; he points behind you. You turn to see a tall shadow looming towards you out of the darkness, a huge, bloody broadsword in one hand.</p>
774        <choice idref="sect211"><link-text>Turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
775       </data>
776      </section>
777
778      <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
779       <meta><title>10</title></meta>
780
781       <data>
782        <p>The great shambling mass moves ponderously towards you. You can discern the outline of arms and legs but no more. It reaches out, seeking to hug you in a deathly embrace.</p>
783        <combat><enemy>Swamp Giant</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
784        <choice idref="sect65">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 65</link-text>.</choice>
785       </data>
786      </section>
787
788      <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
789       <meta><title>11</title></meta>
790
791       <data>
792        <p>The gap in the undergrowth that leads into the clearing is very narrow and the Shadakine can pass through only a few at a time. Three Shadakine warriors charge towards you, bellowing a savage battle-cry. To your surprise, Urik produces a small boomerang edged with razor-sharp teeth. He wields it with great skill and accuracy. With a stunned cry, the first of the Shadakine falls to the ground, his sword arm severed by Urik<ch.apos/>s deadly weapon. Two Shadakine remain and you must fight them as one enemy.</p>
793        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Warriors</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
794        <choice idref="sect82">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 82</link-text>.</choice>
795       </data>
796      </section>
797
798      <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
799       <meta><title>12</title></meta>
800
801       <data>
802        <p>Since the swamp region is an infertile place unlikely to yield food, Urik hands you enough Lianor for three Meals. Each tuber counts as one Meal and you store them in your Backpack. As you descend the hill, the air becomes increasingly humid, impairing your breathing. You step onto the mud flat and begin to make your way across. You have travelled no more than a mile when, suddenly, Urik sinks into a bog. With great effort, you manage to pull him free. Another mile or so and it is you who stumbles into a bog. Fortunately, Urik acts quickly and pulls you to safety. Solemnly Urik informs you that the bogs are likely to become more frequent from now on. If you should both become trapped at the same time, there will be no escape.</p>
803        <choice idref="sect67">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it to lessen the danger, <link-text>turn to 67</link-text>.</choice>
804        <choice idref="sect89">If you do not have this Magical Power, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
805       </data>
806      </section>
807
808      <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
809       <meta><title>13</title></meta>
810
811       <data>
812        <p>You leave your state of trance in time to see a large greenish mass of slime and mud rise from the mire. You step back and prepare for combat. The amorphous mass of dead vegetation and trailing creepers is a Swamp Giant and it is hungry for your blood.</p>
813        <choice idref="sect10"><link-text>Turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
814       </data>
815      </section>
816
817      <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
818       <meta><title>14</title></meta>
819
820       <data>
821        <p>You locate the glow of the Kazim Stone. There, you encounter the mind of the Shadakine Wytch, intent upon her labours over the Stone<ch.emdash/>so intent, in fact, that she fails to notice your presence, hovering at the edges of her mind, gauging its power.</p>
822        <choice idref="sect142"><link-text>Turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
823       </data>
824      </section>
825
826      <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
827       <meta><title>15</title></meta>
828
829       <data>
830        <p>The answer comes swiftly. A crossbow bolt sings through the air, released by a Shadakine who is hidden by the tall marsh grass. The Ooslo screeches with pain as the bolt penetrates its body.</p>
831        <p>You, Urik, and the wounded Ooslo drop like a stone towards the murky waters of a shallow lake that is dotted with small sand banks. As you fall, you pray that the water will be deep enough to save you.</p>
832        <choice idref="sect125"><link-text>Turn to 125</link-text>.</choice>
833       </data>
834      </section>
835
836      <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
837       <meta><title>16</title></meta>
838
839       <data>
840        <p>You are loath to waste time: only ten days remain for you to reach Desolation Valley. Nevertheless, you cannot but wonder just who, or what, could be following you.</p>
841        <p>The evening draws in and still there is no sign of your pursuer. Urik sights a small grove of trees and suggests that you shelter there for the night.</p>
842        <choice idref="sect57">If you wish to do as Urik suggests, <link-text>turn to 57</link-text>.</choice>
843        <choice idref="sect22">If you wish to trap your pursuer before sleeping, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
844        <choice idref="sect35">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it to discover the identity of your pursuer, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
845       </data>
846      </section>
847
848      <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
849       <meta><title>17</title></meta>
850
851       <data>
852        <p>When you wake, a chill fever grips your body; it is the touch of the Deathgaunt, spreading through your veins like a river of ice. You are too weak to travel any further today and your body is hungry for sleep.</p>
853        <choice idref="sect299">If you possess the Magical Power of Alchemy and have an Azawood Leaf or a portion from a Bundle of Azawood Leaves in your Herb Pouch, <link-text>turn to 299</link-text>.</choice>
854        <choice idref="sect265">If not, <link-text>turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
855       </data>
856      </section>
857
858      <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
859       <meta><title>18</title></meta>
860
861       <data>
862        <p>You walk down to the bank of the fast-flowing river. It is not particularly wide, but Samu warns you that its current is swift enough to sweep a man away if due caution is not exercised. He goes first, diving into the river and swimming with long, powerful strokes. Each of you follows in turn.</p>
863        <p>As you reach the centre of the river, you gasp as the current buffets you and, inadvertently, you swallow some of its brackish water.</p>
864        <choice idref="sect62">If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total is 15 or higher, <link-text>turn to 62</link-text>.</choice>
865        <choice idref="sect70">If your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total is 14 or lower, <link-text>turn to 70</link-text>.</choice>
866       </data>
867      </section>
868
869      <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
870       <meta><title>19</title></meta>
871
872       <data>
873        <p>The momentum of your attack carries you past the shouting courtiers and through the archway.</p>
874        <choice idref="sect135">If you wish to turn left along the passage outside, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
875        <choice idref="sect248">If you wish to turn right along the same passage, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
876       </data>
877      </section>
878
879      <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
880       <meta><title>20</title></meta>
881
882       <data>
883        <p>The path back to the waterway is blocked by the advancing Shadakine and you are forced to enter a dense border of gnarled, lichenous trees, which hamper your movement. Within minutes, the Shadakine are upon you. A large Magdi hound breaks through their ranks and leaps towards you before you are able to unleash an attack with your Staff.</p>
884        <p>You cannot evade combat with the Magdi and must fight it to the death. Due to the magical powers of their maker, Shasarak, the Magdi have a natural resistance to magic and you must subtract 2 from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
885        <combat><enemy>Magdi Hound</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">20</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
886        <choice idref="sect149">If the combat lasts for more than 4 rounds, do not continue with the combat but <link-text>turn immediately to 149</link-text>.</choice>
887        <choice idref="sect97">If you win the combat in 4 rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
888       </data>
889      </section>
890
891      <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
892       <meta><title>21</title></meta>
893
894       <data>
895        <p>The Shadakine have seen you and are howling into the attack, as you propel the power of your thought towards the Elemental Plane. Which Element do you require to aid you?</p>
896        <choice idref="sect167">If you choose Air, <link-text>turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
897        <choice idref="sect109">If you choose Fire, <link-text>turn to 109</link-text>.</choice>
898        <choice idref="sect239">If you choose Water, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
899        <choice idref="sect244">If you choose Earth, <link-text>turn to 244</link-text>.</choice>
900       </data>
901      </section>
902
903      <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
904       <meta><title>22</title></meta>
905
906       <data>
907        <p><quote>I think we should find out who it is,</quote> you say. <quote>We<ch.apos/>ll lay a trap.</quote></p>
908        <p><quote>I am a warrior of the plains,</quote> says Samu. <quote>This is an easy matter.</quote> You make camp and build a huge fire. As soon as you have done this, Samu leaves, telling you not to move from the grove until he returns.</p>
909        <p>Dusk gives way to dark, and you and Urik grow more and more apprehensive. Suddenly you hear a strangled cry.</p>
910        <choice idref="sect60"><link-text>Turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
911       </data>
912      </section>
913
914      <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
915       <meta><title>23</title></meta>
916
917       <data>
918        <p>The passage eventually opens on to the Mountains of Morn. It is night and a full moon shines brightly in the sky. Below is the barren expanse of Desolation Valley: a vast wasteland of melted rock and craters. The plain is covered with pot-holes, and, as the wind blows across them, they sigh like a tortured soul moaning at the mountains. <quote>How long has the full moon shone?</quote> you ask Urik.</p>
919        <illustration class="float">
920         <meta>
921          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
922          <description>The barren expanse of Desolation Valley. A vast wasteland of melted rock and craters.</description>
923         </meta>
924         <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/png"/>
925         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
926         <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="649" />
927        </illustration>
928        <p><quote>I know not,</quote> he says, <quote>but Shadow Gate very near. Down below ground.</quote> Without hesitation, you begin to sprint across the plain and Urik follows. Gone is all your weariness and fatigue now that you are near your goal. The pot-holes lead downwards but there are hundreds of them; which way should you go?</p>
929        <p>Suddenly, a gruesome sight slithers from one of these holes. Its long, snaking body is bone white and skeletal; but its pale eyes, without pupils, reveal a deadly malice, a blind evil. It is a Scree Wyrm and it is slithering towards you.</p>
930        <choice idref="sect273">If you wish to fight the Scree Wyrm, <link-text>turn to 273</link-text>.</choice>
931        <choice idref="sect243">If you wish to evade combat, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
932       </data>
933      </section>
934
935      <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
936       <meta><title>24</title></meta>
937
938       <data>
939        <p>Your Sorcery has no effect on the Deathgaunt. The creature<ch.apos/>s body is formed in the spirit world and is invulnerable to your attacks.</p>
940        <choice idref="sect169"><link-text>Turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
941       </data>
942      </section>
943
944      <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
945       <meta><title>25</title></meta>
946
947       <data>
948        <p>Cautiously, you follow the winding course of the waterway. Your nerves are racked with tension as you hear the Shadakine beating at the tall marsh grass. The Magdi hounds have been unable to pick up your scent and Urik<ch.apos/>s animal cunning ensures that you remain hidden from them. The terrain lends itself to easy concealment and soon the frustrated cries of the Shadakine fade into the distance.</p>
949        <choice idref="sect252"><link-text>Turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
950       </data>
951      </section>
952
953      <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
954       <meta><title>26</title></meta>
955
956       <data>
957        <p>Samu throws the door shut and Hugi, with his vast knowledge of locks, triggers the door lock with one of the many strange tools he carries for that purpose. The passage winds on for many miles and soon you have lost all sense of direction, and can no longer tell whether you are travelling towards the Mountains of Morn or away from them. Finally, the passage ends and a secret hatch opens on to the balcony of an ornate building. The balcony overlooks a vast hall where you witness a strange sight.</p>
958        <p>An old man in tattered ermine robes sits upon a broken throne, surrounded by a bizarre gathering of people. Two guards in rusty armour stand either side of him as the ragged assembly of mad courtiers dances a stately pavane without music. Two stairways lead from either side of the balcony into the hall and these are the only exits; it is impossible to walk down these stairs without being seen.</p>
959        <choice idref="sect284">If you wish to walk down the stairs, <link-text>turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
960        <choice idref="sect87">If you wish to charge through the strange court and try to fight your way out, <link-text>turn to 87</link-text>.</choice>
961       </data>
962      </section>
963
964      <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
965       <meta><title>27</title></meta>
966
967       <data>
968        <p>You are weak with exhaustion, your strength is waning, and you have taken a number of small but painful wounds all over your body. You stumble but Samu bears you up, and you are rushed through the archway and into the passage beyond.</p>
969        <choice idref="sect135">If you wish to turn left along the passage, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
970        <choice idref="sect248">If you wish to turn right, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
971       </data>
972      </section>
973
974      <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
975       <meta><title>28</title></meta>
976
977       <data>
978        <p>The shrill sound of exotic bird song rouses you from your light, uncomfortable slumber, and the red stain of the morning sun regards you balefully. Your body is a mass of insect bites and you have lost 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points due to the assault of vampiric Blood Nymphs. Urik has also suffered and, for the first time since you have known him, displays an ill-tempered frown.</p>
979        <p>You continue your journey and, by late afternoon, you have left the peril of the swamplands behind. You now stand at the northern edge of the Gurlu Marshes. Gleaming in the distance you glimpse the faint outline of the city of Karnali, overlooking the sparkling waters of the Suhni River.</p>
980        <choice idref="sect204"><link-text>Turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
981       </data>
982      </section>
983
984      <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
985       <meta><title>29</title></meta>
986
987       <data>
988        <p>Sustaining your Staff<ch.apos/>s energy against the Kazim light costs you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. You must attempt to master the Kazim light through the force of your will to prevent its owner from exerting her will over the Shadakine.</p>
989        <choice idref="sect112">If you wish to use 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, expending a total of 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points this turn, <link-text>turn to 112</link-text>.</choice>
990        <choice idref="sect136">If you wish to use 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, expending a total of 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points this turn, <link-text>turn to 136</link-text>.</choice>
991        <choice idref="sect219">If you wish to use 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, expending a total of 5 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points this turn, <link-text>turn to 219</link-text>.</choice>
992       </data>
993      </section>
994
995      <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
996       <meta><title>30</title></meta>
997
998       <data>
999        <p>You turn and run in the opposite direction, following Urik, who takes great care to skirt the edges of the bog that held you so recently. Unaware of the lurking peril, the Shadakine swordsman blunders forward and immediately sinks in the bog. You hear him shouting frantically for help as you press on anxiously.</p>
1000        <p>Urik leads as you trace the winding course of a shallow waterway that cuts through the tall grass. An unnatural howl sounds from somewhere behind you; it is the chilling call of the Magdi, the monstrous two-headed hounds created by the Wytch-king Shasarak. You keep to the line of the waterway in the hope that it will disguise your scent from the Magdi hunting dogs, and try to put as much distance between them and yourself as possible.</p>
1001        <choice idref="sect156"><link-text>Turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
1002       </data>
1003      </section>
1004
1005      <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1006       <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1007
1008       <data>
1009        <p>The Warward<ch.apos/>s mind is already weak with fear and it is a simple matter to exert your power over his brain and grip it with a murderous compulsion. Suddenly, the Warward walks towards the Shadakine Wytch, unable to resist the desire to slay that you have placed in his mind.</p>
1010        <illustration class="float">
1011         <meta>
1012          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1013          <description>The Warward walks towards the Shadakine Wytch, unable to resist the desire to slay.</description>
1014         </meta>
1015         <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1016         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1017         <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="642" />
1018        </illustration>
1019        <p>Before the Wytch can resist, the Warward strangles her to death. Immediately the light of the Kazim Stone is extinguished and the Shadakine warriors before the fortress falter. With a jubilant cry, the soldiers of the Freedom Guild charge forwards.</p>
1020        <choice idref="sect48"><link-text>Turn to 48</link-text>.</choice>
1021       </data>
1022      </section>
1023
1024      <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1025       <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1026
1027       <data>
1028        <p>Urik and Samu volunteer to hunt out some wild game in order to collect enough food for the remainder of your journey.</p>
1029        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1030        <choice idref="sect106">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1031        <choice idref="sect217">If the number you have picked is 4<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
1032        <choice idref="sect173">If the number you have picked is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 173</link-text>.</choice>
1033       </data>
1034      </section>
1035
1036      <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1037       <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1038
1039       <data>
1040        <p>You have been severely weakened by your combat with the madmen and lack the strength to escape from the throne room as fast as your companions. As you fall behind, the mad courtiers leap upon you. They are vicious and unrelenting in their attack and before Samu can help you, you have been torn to pieces by the howling mob.</p>
1041        <deadend>Your life and quest end here.</deadend>
1042       </data>
1043      </section>
1044
1045      <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1046       <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1047
1048       <data>
1049        <p>Within the vision in your mind, you point towards the Element of Fire and, crackling with energy, it moves forwards. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1050        <p>You open your eyes to see the Shadakine moving into position at the edge of the lake. The Shadakine who leads them is shouting instructions as they load their crossbows and prepare to attack. Unsuspecting, they take aim, failing to notice the smoke that is rising behind them.</p>
1051        <p>Then before a single bolt has been released, a startled Shadakine breaks cover, leaping to his feet and slapping maniacally at his clothes. Within seconds he is wreathed in flames and the uniforms of his comrades have begun to smoulder. Desperately, one of the Shadakine hurls himself into the lake, and immediately the Eijalfish speeds towards him. Urik does not wait to see the outcome of this encounter and dives into the waters of the lake, splashing out towards the farther shore. Without hesitation you follow his example, the sound of the screaming Shadakine ringing in your ears.</p>
1052        <p>You reach dry land and scramble out of the water. A fearful howl crosses the lake and your blood runs cold. Urik cocks his head to one side. <quote>They have fierce Magdi hounds, their hunting dogs,</quote> he says. He points to a shallow waterway that winds its way through the tall grass. <quote>We move now. Keep to water. Hide scent. Come!</quote> You both move off, stepping cautiously along the channel.</p>
1053        <choice idref="sect25"><link-text>Turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1054       </data>
1055      </section>
1056
1057      <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1058       <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1059
1060       <data>
1061        <p>Whoever is following bears you no malice. You sense that you have encountered this person before but the meeting must have been very brief, since you cannot identify him. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1062        <p>You stop and make camp in the grove of trees as Urik suggested. Samu volunteers to scout out the area to make sure that you are not attacked in the night and he has been gone only a few minutes when you hear a strangled cry.</p>
1063        <choice idref="sect60"><link-text>Turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
1064       </data>
1065      </section>
1066
1067      <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1068       <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1069
1070       <data>
1071        <p>At the cost of 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, the Shadakine fortress erupts into flames, sending Shadakine warriors rushing from their barracks into the street.</p>
1072        <choice idref="sect207"><link-text>Turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
1073       </data>
1074      </section>
1075
1076      <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1077       <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1078
1079       <data>
1080        <p>You walk along the west passage. It rises steadily and eventually opens into a small cave with an opening that overlooks a large gorge. Beneath the light of the full moon you see miles and miles of contorted rock. It looks as if it has been melted in a furnace.</p>
1081        <illustration class="inline">
1082         <meta>
1083          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1084         </meta>
1085         <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1086         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1087         <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1088        </illustration>
1089        <p>You find the skeletal remains of several bodies but as you lift a skull to examine it, it crumbles to dust in your hand.</p>
1090        <p>You search the cave and find a Silver Knife. You may keep this Special Item, which can be worn on your belt. (Remember to mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.) You head back along the passage until you come to the circular cavern once more.</p>
1091        <choice idref="sect46">If you wish to take the passage leading east, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
1092        <choice idref="sect23">If you wish to take the passage leading north, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1093        <choice idref="sect64">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
1094       </data>
1095      </section>
1096
1097      <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1098       <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1099
1100       <data>
1101        <p>The room is dark and empty. You can see no other way out of the throne room and turn to leave.</p>
1102        <p><quote>Wait!</quote> says Hugi, suddenly. <quote>I thought<ch.ellips/>yes, I<ch.apos/>m sure<ch.ellips/></quote></p>
1103        <p><quote>What<ch.apos/>s up?</quote> asks Urik. <quote>Thief go mad too?</quote></p>
1104        <p>Hugi traces a line with his finger along a panel in the wall behind the throne. Suddenly, the panel swivels to reveal a passage leading down. <quote>I thought as much,</quote> he grins. <quote>The gap looked too wide; it reminded me of the Great Tomb of Naugorin, far to the east in the Shuri Mountains.</quote></p>
1105        <p>Before Hugi launches into a long dissertation on his past criminal conquests, you step forward. <quote>Into the passage,</quote> you order and, dutifully, they all file in.</p>
1106        <choice idref="sect168"><link-text>Turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
1107       </data>
1108      </section>
1109
1110      <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1111       <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1112
1113       <data>
1114        <p>Hugi selects a key and opens the door with consummate ease. The room is full of shadows but, as your eyes adjust to the light, you see a huddle of people crouched in the corner. They are gnawing on a large bone. They seem frightened by your appearance. Suddenly the largest of them stands, screams a frantic cry, and runs straight at you.</p>
1115        <combat><enemy>Wildman</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">14</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
1116        <choice idref="sect259">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 259</link-text>.</choice>
1117       </data>
1118      </section>
1119
1120      <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1121       <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1122
1123       <data>
1124        <p>You seize the chance to slip away and, turning down a side street, you and Urik leave the battle far behind you. However, almost immediately, you are forced to stop. At the end of the street stands a tall, shadowy figure, a huge broadsword in his hand.</p>
1125        <choice idref="sect211"><link-text>Turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1126       </data>
1127      </section>
1128
1129      <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1130       <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1131
1132       <data>
1133        <p>You are taken to a building that might once have been a temple. Here, the ragged crowd throws you into a deep pit. You are now in total darkness.</p>
1134        <choice idref="sect307">If you wish to make a light from your Staff, at the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
1135        <choice idref="sect150">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
1136       </data>
1137      </section>
1138
1139      <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1140       <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1141
1142       <data>
1143        <p>You almost succeed. But, as the Shadakine step back, looking ready to break and run, and Sado<ch.apos/>s brave army of freedom fighters charge forward, the Shadakine Wytch tightens her grip over the minds of her countrymen and they hold their ground. Shifting emotions of fear, anger, and frenzy contort their snarling features. The use of this spell has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1144        <p>As the line of freedom fighters collides with that of the Shadakine warriors you give a smile. The Freedom Guild are superb soldiers, and despite the power of the Shadakine Wytch, the strength of their charge punches a great hole in the Shadakine defence.</p>
1145        <choice idref="sect48"><link-text>Turn to 48</link-text>.</choice>
1146       </data>
1147      </section>
1148
1149      <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1150       <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1151
1152       <data>
1153        <p>The wall of fire glows more brightly, for a moment only, before returning to its normal intensity. The use of this Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1154        <choice idref="sect201">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
1155        <choice idref="sect117">If you wish to fire at the wall of flame with your Staff, <link-text>turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1156        <choice idref="sect240">If you wish to walk through the wall of fire, <link-text>turn to 240</link-text>.</choice>
1157       </data>
1158      </section>
1159
1160      <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1161       <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1162
1163       <data>
1164        <p>A crossbow bolt flashes through the air, heading straight for you, but your <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell> deflects it and you are unharmed.</p>
1165        <p>The Ooslo bird is flying lower now, as it approaches its nesting place in the Gurlu Marshes. As soon as you are flying low enough to jump to the ground, Urik tells you to untie the vine that is knotted around you. You do as he asks and you both fall to the ground, tumbling through a swathe of marsh grass, which cushions your landing. Sitting up, Urik gives the Ooslo bird a comic wave as it continues, unheeding, back to its nest.</p>
1166        <p><quote>Shadakine near. We go now,</quote> Urik states. Immediately, he breaks into a stumbling trot, following the course of a shallow waterway that cuts through the tall marsh grass. A few minutes later, a chilling howl stops you dead in your tracks: the Shadakine have hunting dogs, the terrible Magdi hounds. As you move away once more, you keep to the waterway in an effort to hide your scent.</p>
1167        <choice idref="sect25"><link-text>Turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1168       </data>
1169      </section>
1170
1171      <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1172       <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1173
1174       <footnotes>
1175        <footnote id="sect45-1-foot" idref="sect45-1"><p>After taking the Karmo potion and fighting your opponent, halve your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> scores. It is at your discretion whether you should apply the penalty to your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> before or after halving your score. The former option is the most beneficial.</p></footnote>
1176       </footnotes>
1177
1178       <data>
1179        <p>Growing beside a small pool of murky water, you notice the yellow flowers of a Karmo bush. If you possess an empty Vial, you may squeeze the clear liquid that is contained within the buds of the flower into the Vial. This potion, when taken before combat, will double your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point totals for the duration of the combat. However, the side effects of the Karmo potion can be fatal. After taking the potion you must pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. The number that you pick equals the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points that you lose due to the side effects (0 = zero).<footref id="sect45-1" idref="sect45-1-foot"/></p>
1180        <choice idref="sect71"><link-text>Turn to 71</link-text>.</choice>
1181       </data>
1182      </section>
1183
1184      <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1185       <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1186
1187       <data>
1188        <p>You follow the dingy passage as it wends its way through the slate grey rock. Soon, you reach a wider cavern, where the ceiling is much higher. In the faint glow of a swarm of mineflies, you make out a staircase that ascends to the surface. Shafts of moonlight shine down the stairwell, twinkling on the wet stone steps. By the stairs you notice a large sack propped against the wall.</p>
1189        <choice idref="sect233">If you wish to examine the sack, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
1190        <choice idref="sect245">If you wish to ignore the sack, you can climb the stairs to the surface, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
1191       </data>
1192      </section>
1193
1194      <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1195       <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1196
1197       <data>
1198        <p>To your frustration, the wind begins to blow but gently<ch.emdash/>the Elementals have misunderstood your need. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1199        <choice idref="sect290">If you wish to try again, <link-text>return to 290</link-text> and choose a different Element.</choice>
1200        <choice idref="sect139">If you have the Magical Power of Enchantment and would prefer to use it, <link-text>turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1201       </data>
1202      </section>
1203
1204      <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1205       <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1206
1207       <data>
1208        <p>You totter on unsteady feet. Your struggles have made you feel faint with exhaustion. A strong hand grips your shoulder to steady you. You look up and see Samu, the giant warrior that you freed from the slave train of the Shadakine, outside the walls of Karnali. He has joined the Freedom Guild, it seems. <quote>Are you all right?</quote> he asks.</p>
1209        <p>You nod. <quote>I will be.</quote></p>
1210        <p><quote>Then I must away,</quote> says Samu, drawing his massive broadsword and brandishing it in the air. <quote>The Shadakine filth must be purged from the face of the world!</quote> He speaks with a terrible vehemence, as if he would be happy to complete the whole task himself. He then turns and lopes towards the Shadakine with an easy, athletic stride.</p>
1211        <choice idref="sect133"><link-text>Turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
1212       </data>
1213      </section>
1214
1215      <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1216       <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1217
1218       <data>
1219        <p>Although the Wytch<ch.apos/>s attention is concentrated elsewhere, your initial assault on her mind proves unsuccessful: the power of the Kazim Stone protects her. Now, completely alerted to the peril that threatens her, she wrenches her attention away from the warriors at the fortress and focuses all her powers, and those of the Kazim Stone, upon you. At once, the morale of the Shadakine warriors sinks and they flee in confusion. With a cheer, the men of the Freedom Guild move forward to storm the fortress, but you barely notice them, for you are now locked into a duel of wills with the Shadakine Wytch. A crimson haze fills the sky where the forces of the Mind Gem and the Kazim Stone clash.</p>
1220        <p>The combined <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score of the Wytch and the Stone is 40. Add together your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> scores and subtract this total from 40.</p>
1221        <choice idref="sect280">If your final score is 15 or higher, <link-text>turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
1222        <choice idref="sect205">If your final score is 14 or lower, <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1223       </data>
1224      </section>
1225
1226      <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1227       <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1228
1229       <data>
1230        <p>You leave the city far behind, as you and Urik struggle to match the pace of the giant<ch.apos/>s long stride. You head north for the Belzar River, which traces a westerly course towards the Mountains of Morn and the infamous dead lands. By the time you reach the river, night is upon you and you are nearly asleep on your feet. You tell the giant that you are too exhausted to continue and he stops to allow you to make camp. He has a supply of food which he shares with you before you fall into a deep sleep by the gentle lapping of the waters of the Belzar River.</p>
1231        <illustration class="inline">
1232         <meta>
1233          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1234         </meta>
1235         <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1236         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1237         <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1238        </illustration>
1239        <p>The following morning, you continue on your journey. The Belzar Hills on the far side of the river seem to frown upon you as you pass and you are troubled by a gnawing doubt. Urik seems to share this doubt and he continually looks over his shoulder with an anxious expression on his face. When you stop at midday to rest, you voice your doubt to your companions.</p>
1240        <p><quote>There is a simple explanation,</quote> says Samu, confidently. <quote>We are being followed.</quote></p>
1241        <p>You dart a startled look at Urik. <quote>I think Samu speak truth,</quote> he says.</p>
1242        <choice idref="sect22">If you wish to lie in wait and ambush whoever is following you, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
1243        <choice idref="sect16">If you wish to press on, <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
1244       </data>
1245      </section>
1246
1247      <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1248       <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1249
1250       <data>
1251        <p>Inside the vision of your mind, you point towards the being that represents the Element of Earth. Slowly, it lumbers forward as if its body is too heavy for the strength of its limbs. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1252        <p>You open your eyes and see that the Shadakine have reached the edge of the lake. The officer in command is shouting orders as the warriors take cover, loading and priming their weapons and preparing to fire. There is no sign of the Earth Elemental and, fearfully, you reflect on the notorious stupidity of Earth Elementals.</p>
1253        <choice idref="sect226">If you decide that the Earth Elemental will fail, have the Magical Power of Sorcery, and wish to create a <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell> about yourself to deflect the arrows of the Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
1254        <choice idref="sect56">If not, <link-text>turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
1255       </data>
1256      </section>
1257
1258      <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1259       <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1260
1261       <data>
1262        <p>Standing before a crumbling bridge that crosses the left-hand fork of the Belzar River, you gaze, awestruck, at the desolate city that rests beneath the shadow of the mountains. In your darkest dreams, you have never known a place so eerie and forbidding: the blackened shards of the city walls reach hauntingly into the sky; clumps of black weed grow between pieces of crumbling masonry, and the twisted heights of ancient spires and crippled towers point accusingly at the heavens; an awful gloom hangs in the air and an atmosphere of brooding menace emanates from the heart of the city.</p>
1263        <illustration class="inline">
1264         <meta>
1265          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1266         </meta>
1267         <instance class="html" src="small10.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1268         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small10.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1269         <instance class="pdf" src="small10.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1270        </illustration>
1271        <p>You look at the faces of your brave companions: Urik<ch.apos/>s wrinkled face, so often creased with laughter, now set in a frown; the hard countenance of brave Samu, the sundered king; and the angular, hawkish features of Hugi, whose eyes gleam greedily. You notice how pale they look, almost sickly, and a vague disquiet stirs in the back of your mind.</p>
1272        <p>You approach the bridge and Hugi looks at it, his eyes full of doubt. <quote>Is it safe?</quote> you ask.</p>
1273        <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s stood here for centuries,</quote> Hugi answers.</p>
1274        <p>The swift-flowing water looks black and uninviting.</p>
1275        <choice idref="sect186">If you wish to cross the bridge, <link-text>turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
1276        <choice idref="sect18">If you wish to swim across the river, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1277       </data>
1278      </section>
1279
1280      <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1281       <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1282
1283       <data>
1284        <p><quote>I can guarantee your safety when you leave Karnali if you will agree to aid an attack we have planned against the Shadakine garrison of the city,</quote> offers Sado. <quote>Help us, Grey Star; we need you.</quote></p>
1285        <choice idref="sect91">If you wish to aid Sado in his struggle against the Shadakine, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
1286        <choice idref="sect287">If you decide to refuse, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
1287       </data>
1288      </section>
1289
1290      <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1291       <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1292
1293       <data>
1294        <p>You are standing in a huge cavern. Eyes gleaming greedily, Hugi shoulders past you and runs headlong down the carved stone steps that lead to the cavern floor. <quote>This must be the place!</quote> he says, excitedly. Immediately, he begins to search the chamber, scrabbling among the rocks and debris and then, with a jubilant cry, he unearths an old and rusty chest. In an instant, he has removed his wallet of thief<ch.apos/>s tools and, with practised ease, sets about the lock. Swiftly, he masters the challenge, flicking open the lid with a hungry look. His face drops. <quote>Books!</quote> he snarls contemptuously.</p>
1295        <p>You walk over to his side and peer down at the leather-bound tomes. A closer examination reveals a shocking surprise.</p>
1296        <choice idref="sect103"><link-text>Turn to 103</link-text>.</choice>
1297       </data>
1298      </section>
1299
1300      <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1301       <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1302
1303       <data>
1304        <p>Drawing on the magical energy of the Astral Plane, you hurl your power against the Kazim light that shines above the heads of the advancing Shadakine warriors. At first, you throw 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point against it, but this challenge serves only to attract attention to yourself and the Shadakine Wytch immediately sends the full power of the Kazim Stone against you. The numbing blast that washes through your mind loses you 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, but because the Wytch has diverted the power of the Kazim Stone away from the warriors, the morale of the Shadakine is severely shaken and, with a cheer, the men of the Freedom Guild move forward to storm the fortress.</p>
1305        <choice idref="sect141">If you have survived the initial blast of the Kazim Stone, <link-text>turn to 141</link-text>.</choice>
1306       </data>
1307      </section>
1308
1309      <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1310       <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1311
1312       <data>
1313        <p>The Earth Elemental does not come in time. A volley of quarrels flies towards you, ripping into your flesh and inflicting terrible wounds.</p>
1314        <deadend>Your quest is over. When the Earth Elemental does eventually arrive, he takes you down into the cold dark earth of his home<ch.emdash/>your final resting place.</deadend>
1315       </data>
1316      </section>
1317
1318      <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1319       <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1320
1321       <data>
1322        <p>You make camp in the small grove of trees. Samu scouts the area to make sure that your pursuer is not lurking nearby. Suddenly, you hear a strangled cry.</p>
1323        <choice idref="sect60"><link-text>Turn to 60</link-text>.</choice>
1324       </data>
1325      </section>
1326
1327      <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1328       <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1329
1330       <data>
1331        <p>Several minutes pass. With familiar tardiness, the Earth Elemental obeys your summons and the ground beneath the fortress begins to tremble. Great blocks of masonry tumble to the ground, driving the Shadakine from their barracks and out into the street. You have used 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1332        <choice idref="sect207"><link-text>Turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
1333       </data>
1334      </section>
1335
1336      <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1337       <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1338
1339       <data>
1340        <p>Now you must run to keep away from their deadly touch. Fortunately, the Deathgaunts are unable to move quickly and you are able to create some distance between them and yourselves, but you are weary from past assaults, and soon find yourself stumbling and staggering through the grey dust of the dead plain. You trip and fall, exhausted, but Samu sweeps you up in his strong arms.</p>
1341        <p>For a full day, Samu carries you but, despite his enormous strength, eventually he, too, becomes too tired to continue. Panting for breath, he sets you down before collapsing to the ground. Hugi estimates that you are now only a day away from the Forbidden City.</p>
1342        <choice idref="sect129">If you wish to go without sleep and continue travelling through the night, <link-text>turn to 129</link-text>.</choice>
1343        <choice idref="sect137">If you have the Magical Power of Evocation and wish to use it to protect yourself while you sleep, <link-text>turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
1344        <choice idref="sect138">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy and a remaining Azawood leaf, and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1345       </data>
1346      </section>
1347
1348      <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1349       <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1350
1351       <data>
1352        <p>Samu enters the grove of trees. Held in a headlock, and gurgling pleas for release, is a scrawny-looking man, dressed in a leather jerkin and bright scarlet breeches. Immediately you recognize him as the thief who tried to steal your money in the cavern of the Freedom Guild. <quote>What are you doing here? State your purpose!</quote> you say, leaping to your feet. The thief lets out a long gurgle by way of reply.</p>
1353        <illustration class="float">
1354         <meta>
1355          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1356          <description>Held in a headlock is a scrawny man, the thief from the cavern of the Freedom Guild.</description>
1357         </meta>
1358         <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1359         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="644"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1360         <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="644" />
1361        </illustration>
1362        <p><quote>What are you doing here?</quote> you repeat, angrily. Samu tightens his grip on the thief<ch.apos/>s neck.</p>
1363        <p><quote>Being<ch.ellips/>strangled!</quote> he squawks, clawing desperately at the thick arm around his neck.</p>
1364        <p>You give Samu a nod and the brawny giant releases his grip. The thief collapses to the floor in an untidy heap, choking for breath and rubbing his bruised throat. Urik chortles with laughter. <quote>Get up!</quote> you command.</p>
1365        <p>The thief staggers to his feet, an indignant expression on his face as he brushes the dust from his clothes. <quote>What have you got to say for yourself, thief?</quote> you ask.</p>
1366        <p><quote>I am Hugi of Suhn,</quote> he says, haughtily.</p>
1367        <p><quote>Was it you who tried to rob me in Karnali?</quote></p>
1368        <p><quote>For that oversight I apologize, Master Wizard,</quote> he says, barely disguising the smirk on his hawkish face. <quote>If I had known that you were bound for the Forbidden City, I would have offered my services at once.</quote></p>
1369        <p><quote>How came you by that information?</quote> you snap angrily.</p>
1370        <p><quote>I<ch.ellips/>er<ch.ellips/>listened at the door after Sado sent me out,</quote> he replies innocently.</p>
1371        <p><quote>Shall I kill the spy now?</quote> asks Samu, menacingly.</p>
1372        <p><quote>Spy?<ch.emdash/>Spy?</quote> Hugi chokes. <quote>I am no spy. I am the greatest thief in all Karnali! What need have I for spying?</quote></p>
1373        <p><quote>You not very good at picking Grey Star<ch.apos/>s pocket,</quote> Urik points out.</p>
1374        <p><quote>Nevertheless,</quote> says Hugi, testily. <quote>Thief I am. Spy I am not.</quote></p>
1375        <p><quote>That still does not explain why you are following us. Why should the Forbidden City interest you?</quote></p>
1376        <p><quote>Ahhh!</quote> sighs Hugi, <quote>the Forbidden City! Legends speak of priceless statutes<ch.emdash/>remnants of the ancient people who once lived there. But I have found none who dared go there. When I heard that you were bound for the City of the Dead, I chose to follow. Then, this great brute stepped out of nowhere and tried to strangle me to death.</quote></p>
1377        <p>Samu glares at Hugi. <quote>Shall I kill him now?</quote> bellows the giant, eagerly. Hugi steps back in alarm.</p>
1378        <p><quote>No, wait. Hugi, what do you know of our quest<ch.emdash/>whom do you serve?</quote> you ask.</p>
1379        <p><quote>I know nothing of any quest and I serve no man but myself. All I ask is that you allow me to accompany you to the Forbidden City. I am not unskilled in my own small way,</quote> he sniffs, immodestly.</p>
1380        <p><quote>If he is half as good as he thinks, he could be useful,</quote> comments Urik.</p>
1381        <p><quote>Yes, and if he is a spy, we daren<ch.apos/>t let him go, though I<ch.apos/>ll not kill a man for the sake of a suspicion. You<ch.apos/>re coming with us, Hugi.</quote> Broadly, the thief begins to smile. <quote>And Samu, if he tries to escape<ch.ellips/>break one of his legs.</quote> Samu grins ferociously as Hugi<ch.apos/>s face drops.</p>
1382        <choice idref="sect214"><link-text>Turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
1383       </data>
1384      </section>
1385
1386      <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1387       <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1388
1389       <data>
1390        <p>Before you can fire your Staff again, the Magdi lunges at you. You attempt to parry the beast<ch.apos/>s charge with your Staff but its weight and the momentum of its attack hurl you to the ground. You thank the gods that there is only one of them to contend with as you grapple with the enraged animal. The Magdi<ch.apos/>s jaws snap dangerously close to your throat but you twist your body away and leap to your feet.</p>
1391        <p>You cannot evade combat, and must fight the creature to the death. Due to the Magdi<ch.apos/>s resistance to magic, you must subtract 2 from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
1392        <combat><enemy>Magdi</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">20</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
1393        <choice idref="sect149">If the combat lasts for more than 5 rounds, do not continue with the combat but <link-text>turn immediately to 149</link-text>.</choice>
1394        <choice idref="sect271">If you win the combat in 5 rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 271</link-text>.</choice>
1395       </data>
1396      </section>
1397
1398      <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1399       <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1400
1401       <data>
1402        <p>The water is poisonous and, as it affects your body, you panic and begin to sink. Hugi and Urik have already reached the other side but, as soon as Samu sees you struggling, he strikes out towards you. With strong hands he grabs your robe and pulls you to the surface. Panting and gasping for breath, he hurls you to the safety of the river bank and slowly you crawl up the bank. The water you have swallowed has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Suddenly, Urik gives a cry: <quote>Samu!</quote></p>
1403        <p>You turn in time to see Samu<ch.apos/>s flailing arms disappear beneath the surface of the water. You are stunned and dismayed. He disappears completely from sight, swept away by the waters of the poisonous Belzar River.</p>
1404        <p>With tears in your eyes, you walk in silence towards the walls of the Forbidden City.</p>
1405        <choice idref="sect124"><link-text>Turn to 124</link-text>.</choice>
1406       </data>
1407      </section>
1408
1409      <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1410       <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1411
1412       <data>
1413        <p>You cast 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points into the Red Jewel in an effort to control the Deathgaunt. But the Deathgaunt<ch.apos/>s mind is not its own; it is being commanded from a point outside this world and the sinister spectre advances.</p>
1414        <choice idref="sect169"><link-text>Turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
1415       </data>
1416      </section>
1417
1418      <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1419       <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1420
1421       <data>
1422        <p>At the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, your Magical Power of Prophecy tells you that the north passage leads out of the tunnel complex and on to the plain of Desolation Valley.</p>
1423        <choice idref="sect23">If you wish to take the passage leading north, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
1424        <choice idref="sect46">If you wish to take the passage leading east, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
1425       </data>
1426      </section>
1427
1428      <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1429       <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1430
1431       <data>
1432        <p>As the creature dies, its body melts away, leaving only a pile of mud and filth that once gave it form. Urik gives a shout of congratulation and you nod in acknowledgement; you are too tired to talk.</p>
1433        <choice idref="sect165">If you wish to continue with your previous use of the Power of Prophecy, <link-text>turn to 165</link-text>.</choice>
1434        <choice idref="sect71">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 71</link-text>.</choice>
1435       </data>
1436      </section>
1437
1438      <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1439       <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1440
1441       <data>
1442        <p>Within the darkness of a dream, you hear a voice whispering; it is calling your name, over and over again. Glowing with a sickly light, the figure of a man stands like a sinister vision, his face obscured by shadow. His grey robe is tattered and torn; his long, bony, claw-like fingers are covered by charred, black flesh. He points a crooked finger at you. <quote>You will fail. Your power does not suffice. This fool<ch.apos/>s errand is to no end.</quote></p>
1443        <p><quote>NO!</quote> you shout into the emptiness.</p>
1444        <p><quote>Turn aside, Grey Star. Turn aside. You dare not stand against me.</quote> The grim figure casts aside his hood and the shadow passes to a blood-red light, revealing a hideous face. Half of the face is missing and, in its place, a metal plate gives shape to the ruined visage of wasted flesh and scarred tissue. One eye is shrunken and sightless, while the other burns with the intensity of the sun. A gaze of unbearable malice focuses on your heart. <quote>Desist, Wizard<ch.emdash/>or I will rend the very soul from your body.</quote></p>
1445        <p><quote>I will not!</quote> you scream into the darkness. A look of rage contorts his twisted features and the single eye burns into you. You are looking upon the face of Shasarak, Wytch-king of Shadaki, who has come to taunt and torment you as you sleep.</p>
1446        <illustration class="float">
1447         <meta>
1448          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1449          <description>A gaze of unbreakable malice focuses on your heart: you look upon Shasarak, Wytch-king of Shadaki.</description>
1450         </meta>
1451         <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="640"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1452         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="640"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1453         <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="640" />
1454        </illustration>
1455        <p><quote>You fear me now, foolish child, and you think that you have mastered fear. I will teach you the true meaning of terror. I will make you yearn for death as if it were your true love!</quote> Shasarak raises his clawed, decaying hand and clutches his fingers in the air: 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point is drawn effortlessly from your body.</p>
1456        <p>You wake up screaming.</p>
1457        <choice idref="sect291"><link-text>Turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
1458       </data>
1459      </section>
1460
1461      <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1462       <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1463
1464       <data>
1465        <p>By sustaining a trance, you will be able to predict the location of the bogs and quicksand before you come across them. A prolonged trance will cost you 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. If, for some reason, you have to break your trance before you have crossed the swamps, and you wish to use the spell again in order to continue, you will need to use a further 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1466        <choice idref="sect79">If you wish to use the Power of Prophecy, <link-text>turn to 79</link-text>.</choice>
1467        <choice idref="sect89">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
1468       </data>
1469      </section>
1470
1471      <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1472       <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1473
1474       <data>
1475        <p>You draw more energy into the Shield, restoring it to is former strength at a cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, but there is no third volley, only an unnerving silence. The Eijalfish is joined by another, and together they begin to circle the islet.</p>
1476        <p>You are trapped without food or supplies and the Shadakine seem content to wait it out. As the sun begins to set, you hear the sound of movement from the direction of the Shadakine.</p>
1477        <choice idref="sect223">If you wish to fire in the direction of the movement, <link-text>turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
1478        <choice idref="sect258">If you would prefer to attack the Eijalfish, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
1479        <choice idref="sect147">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
1480        <choice idref="sect102">If you would prefer to wait for nightfall, <link-text>turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
1481       </data>
1482      </section>
1483
1484      <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1485       <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1486
1487       <data>
1488        <p>Uselessly, it begins to rain. The use of the Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1489        <choice idref="sect290">If you wish to try again, <link-text>return to 290</link-text> and choose a different Element.</choice>
1490        <choice idref="sect139">If you have the Power of Enchantment and would prefer to use it, <link-text>turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1491       </data>
1492      </section>
1493
1494      <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1495       <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1496
1497       <data>
1498        <p>The water is poisonous and the shock, as the poison runs swiftly through your system, throws you into confusion. You are already weak from your exertions and unable to resist the strong current. Before Samu is able to swim back and attempt to rescue you, you have sunk to the bottom of the river.</p>
1499        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1500       </data>
1501      </section>
1502
1503      <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1504       <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1505
1506       <data>
1507        <p>The atmosphere is heavy and humid, and it is hard to breathe. The effort of walking causes you to lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point as your lungs labour against the damp, cloying air. The sun begins to set and the exhausted state of your body requires that you stop to rest for the night even though you are still within the confines of the swamp. Urik locates a bare, dry hillock and you stop there for the night. The air is alive with nocturnal insects and among them, to your dismay, you notice the distinct vermilion bodies of winged Blood Nymphs.</p>
1508        <illustration class="inline">
1509         <meta>
1510          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1511         </meta>
1512         <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1513         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1514         <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1515        </illustration>
1516        <choice idref="sect121">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
1517        <choice idref="sect28">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
1518       </data>
1519      </section>
1520
1521      <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1522       <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1523
1524       <data>
1525        <p>The Deathgaunt looks on as you usher your three companions within the protection of the pentacle. You possess no Magical Power capable of damaging this creature, for its body is not of the real world; your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff cannot help you here. You remain within the pentacle and continue to chant the warding words of Evocation. Eventually, with a whispered cry of frustration, the Deathgaunt dematerializes.</p>
1526        <illustration class="inline">
1527         <meta>
1528          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1529         </meta>
1530         <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1531         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1532         <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1533        </illustration>
1534        <p>You press on through the barren wilderness, more anxious than ever to reach your goal. The Deathgaunt has given up its attack for now but it is not destroyed and could return at any time. That night, with the black Mountains of Morn looming above you, you stop to make camp.</p>
1535        <choice idref="sect299">If you possess the Magical Power of Alchemy and have an Azawood Leaf or a portion from a Bundle of Azawood Leaves in your Herb Pouch, <link-text>turn to 299</link-text>.</choice>
1536        <choice idref="sect265">If not, <link-text>turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
1537       </data>
1538      </section>
1539
1540      <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1541       <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1542
1543       <data>
1544        <p>Walking along the dusty street, a sudden prickling sensation at the back of your neck warns you that danger lurks nearby. You feel as if a hundred pairs of eyes are watching your every move.</p>
1545        <choice idref="sect231">If you possess the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 231</link-text>.</choice>
1546        <choice idref="sect116">If you do not possess this Power, or if you do not wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
1547       </data>
1548      </section>
1549
1550      <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1551       <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1552
1553       <data>
1554        <p>You give Urik a nod and then dive into the water, swimming with all your might away from the Shadakine. A flurry of quarrels slices the water around you. Unharmed, you splash to the water<ch.apos/>s edge, grateful to be moving into the cover of the tall reeds that line the bank.</p>
1555        <p>Panting for breath, both you and Urik run, half-crouched, through the undergrowth. A desperate chase begins as the Shadakine leave their hiding places and start to run after you. Urik leads the way, running along a shallow waterway that cuts through the tall marsh grass like a path. From behind, the chilling howl of hounds reaches your ears. Urik stops briefly and turns to you. <quote>They have hunting dogs, terrible Magdi Hounds. We move slow and quiet now<ch.emdash/>keep to water<ch.emdash/>hide scent. I am old Kundi<ch.emdash/>cannot run,</quote> he wheezes, the hint of an apology in his voice.</p>
1556        <p>Stealthily, you both creep away with all the speed you can muster.</p>
1557        <choice idref="sect25"><link-text>Turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
1558       </data>
1559      </section>
1560
1561      <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1562       <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1563
1564       <data>
1565        <p>You leave the city by the north gate. Here the Suhni River and the Belzar River meet. By following the Belzar River west, you will come directly to the Mountains of Morn and the Forbidden City of Gyanima. You set off.</p>
1566        <p>You have travelled only a short way when you see a tall figure running towards you at great speed. It is Samu and you stop to wait for him.</p>
1567        <p><quote>You go to the Mountains?</quote> he asks, pointing to the west. You tell him that this is so. <quote>Once, I was king of a great tribe<ch.emdash/>the Masbat<ch.eacute/> nomads of the Great Lissan Plain. Now, I am the only survivor. The Wytch-king saw the end of my people. The Shadakine fought and hounded us across the plains in their great chariots, led by the evil Wytch-king. Long we resisted him, but what use are swords and spears and brave warriors against the black arts? A great plague of demons sealed our doom. Shasarak has deprived me of my family and my people.</quote></p>
1568        <p>He looks at you with smouldering eyes. <quote>I will come with you. You will have need of strength as well as bravery. You have mine.</quote></p>
1569        <choice idref="sect81"><link-text>Turn to 81</link-text>.</choice>
1570       </data>
1571      </section>
1572
1573      <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1574       <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1575
1576       <data>
1577        <p>Urik gives you a look of bewilderment. You nod confidently, as if you know exactly what you are doing. The bizarre procession of madmen and mad women moves at a stately pace through the wide archway that leads from the throne room. Samu looks as solemn as ever but Hugi<ch.apos/>s face wears an expression of astonishment. You enter a dim, candlelit hall dominated by a long table. Rats scuttle across the table, running for their bolt-holes as the assemblage enters the room. You sit down and wait to see what happens next. <quote>Dinner is served,</quote> announces a gaunt, grey-faced servant. A limping, squeaking, three-wheeled trolley is pushed into the room. At the far end of the table, the deranged king moistens his lips with his coated tongue and tucks the table cloth into the top of his torn silk shirt. The tarnished silver dish is uncovered and a wave of revulsion churns your stomach: on the silver platter is a hideous array of human limbs.</p>
1578        <illustration class="float">
1579         <meta>
1580          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1581          <description>The deranged king prepares to dine.</description>
1582         </meta>
1583         <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="631"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1584         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="631"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1585         <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="631" />
1586        </illustration>
1587        <p>The king stands up, brandishing a rusty carving knife. <quote>Would you like an arm or a leg?</quote> he enquires innocently.</p>
1588        <choice idref="sect108">If you wish to accept, <link-text>turn to 108</link-text>.</choice>
1589        <choice idref="sect220">If you wish to refuse, <link-text>turn to 220</link-text>.</choice>
1590        <choice idref="sect281">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it to help you make your choice, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
1591       </data>
1592      </section>
1593
1594      <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1595       <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1596
1597       <data>
1598        <p>The wretches fight with each other in a contest to be the first to leave. Once they have slain one of their kind they rush through the door. Outside, the street is now full of wretches and you scour the room to try to find another exit.</p>
1599        <choice idref="sect246"><link-text>Turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1600       </data>
1601      </section>
1602
1603      <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1604       <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1605
1606       <data>
1607        <p>Hurriedly, you unfasten the knotted vine. Urik lets out a yell as you both plummet towards the ground at frightening speed. Your fall is broken by the sucking ooze of the marshy ground below, but you are still bruised and must lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1608        <p>Nearby, you can hear the shouts of the Shadakine Warriors as they search for you. You are surrounded by tall reeds and rushes and, for the moment, you are out of sight. You keep very still. The Shadakine are beating at the marsh reeds with large sticks, trying to flush you out. Just as a booted foot passes inches from your face, you suddenly realize that you are sinking.</p>
1609        <illustration class="float">
1610         <meta>
1611          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1612          <description>You hide in the tall reeds as the Shadakine seek you out.</description>
1613         </meta>
1614         <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="624"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1615         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="624"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1616         <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="624" />
1617        </illustration>
1618        <choice idref="sect115">If you wish to struggle out of the quicksand into which you are being drawn, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
1619        <choice idref="sect235">If you would prefer to keep still, at least until the Shadakine have passed, <link-text>turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
1620       </data>
1621      </section>
1622
1623      <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1624       <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1625
1626       <data>
1627        <p>Carefully, Urik leads you along while you sustain a trance state. Your mind is full of a thousand images of future events and you are able to discern which is solid land and which is not until suddenly, a disturbing vision forms in your mind. You see yourself in combat with a terrible monster that has risen from a dark pit.</p>
1628        <choice idref="sect13">If you wish to break your trance, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1629        <choice idref="sect4">If you wish to continue as you are, <link-text>turn to 4</link-text>.</choice>
1630       </data>
1631      </section>
1632
1633      <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1634       <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1635
1636       <data>
1637        <p>You begin to chant, scratching the shape of the pentacle into the ground. The Deathgaunt gives a cry of frustration and surges towards you. You feel its frozen touch before the pentacle is fully formed and you lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. The deadly chill fever drags you into unconsciousness as the Deathgaunt<ch.apos/>s spell takes effect.</p>
1638        <choice idref="sect66"><link-text>Turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
1639       </data>
1640      </section>
1641
1642      <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1643       <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1644
1645       <data>
1646        <p>Samu sets the pace, reaching forward with great strides to lead you across the gently undulating plain that lies between Karnali and the mountains of the west. The Belzar Hills on the far side of the river cast a shadow across the waters, as though disapproving of your choice of destination.</p>
1647        <illustration class="inline">
1648         <meta>
1649          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1650         </meta>
1651         <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1652         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1653         <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1654        </illustration>
1655        <p>As the miles slip by, a growing feeling of uneasiness nags at your mind. You notice that Urik is constantly looking over his shoulder, his face clouded with uncertainty. In the afternoon, you stop to rest and you voice your doubts to Samu and Urik. <quote>Ah! So you, too, have noticed!</quote> says Samu. <quote>I felt this just after we set out. I fear we are being followed.</quote> Startled, you flash a look at Urik.</p>
1656        <p><quote>Me think it true,</quote> he says.</p>
1657        <choice idref="sect22">If you wish to lie in wait to ambush whoever is following you, <link-text>turn to 22</link-text>.</choice>
1658        <choice idref="sect16">If you wish to continue, <link-text>turn to 16</link-text>.</choice>
1659       </data>
1660      </section>
1661
1662      <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1663       <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1664
1665       <data>
1666        <p>Although you have defeated the Shadakine warriors, the clearing is now full of raging soldiers. Wary of the power of your Staff they avoid further risk to themselves and send in a Magdi. The beast lunges at you, its claws and fangs thirsting for your blood. Due to the magical powers of their maker, Shasarak, the Magdi have a natural resistance to magic and you must subtract 2 from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
1667        <combat><enemy>Magdi Hound</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">20</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
1668        <choice idref="sect247">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
1669       </data>
1670      </section>
1671
1672      <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1673       <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1674
1675       <data>
1676        <p>Stunned by the swiftness of your evasion, the wretch stands back, immobile, as you charge into the attack. Add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat, due to the speed of your manoeuvre.</p>
1677        <combat><enemy>Dead City Wretch</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
1678        <choice idref="sect197">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
1679       </data>
1680      </section>
1681
1682      <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1683       <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1684
1685       <data>
1686        <p>Soon, you are lost in a maze of alleys and side streets, all lined with small buildings. Above are a confusion of criss-crossing walkways.</p>
1687        <choice idref="sect221">If you wish to climb a wooden stair that leads up to one of the walkways, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
1688        <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to enter one of the small dwellings, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
1689       </data>
1690      </section>
1691
1692      <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1693       <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1694
1695       <data>
1696        <p>Urik points to a place directly below him. <quote>Here,</quote> he says. <quote>It is here!</quote> There is no way down, other than via the pot-holes. Another Scree Wyrm slithers out of one of the holes and crawls towards you from out of its shadowy lair.</p>
1697        <choice idref="sect157">If you have a Rope, <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
1698        <choice idref="sect304">If you do not have a Rope, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
1699       </data>
1700      </section>
1701
1702      <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1703       <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1704
1705       <data>
1706        <p>You point towards the Water Elemental and it rolls forward, cascading towards the earth. The use of this Magical Power has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
1707        <p>You open your eyes to see that the water of the lake is starting to boil with activity. The Eijalfish begins to circle in confusion, distressed at the buffeting it is receiving. Urik regards the bubbling water with interest. <quote>You want to swim?</quote> he asks.</p>
1708        <choice idref="sect74"><link-text>Turn to 74</link-text>.</choice>
1709       </data>
1710      </section>
1711
1712      <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1713       <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1714
1715       <data>
1716        <p>You tell your companions of your intention and, at your word, and praying that your bravado will discourage attack, all four of you run down the stairs, yelling and shouting. It is an ill-founded hope. The dancers stop and stare at you with crazed expressions.</p>
1717        <p>The mad guards of the insane king are the first to countercharge, with the raving courtiers at their back.</p>
1718        <choice idref="sect251"><link-text>Turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
1719       </data>
1720      </section>
1721
1722      <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1723       <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1724
1725       <data>
1726        <p>The Shadakine falls, his body a smouldering ruin and, under the command of their tall, ferocious-looking leader, the Shadakine warriors fall back into the cover of the tall grass. A fearsome howl alerts you to a further danger. Two large hounds, each with two monstrous horned heads, come bounding out of the grass towards you. They are Magdi, hideous creations of the Wytch-king, Shasarak.</p>
1727        <p>Your nerve almost fails you at the sight of these terrifying beasts and you stand transfixed. Then, you hear Urik shout at you: <quote>We must flee.</quote></p>
1728        <choice idref="sect123">If you wish to stay and fight the Magdi, <link-text>turn to 123</link-text>.</choice>
1729        <choice idref="sect156">If you would prefer to run, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
1730       </data>
1731      </section>
1732
1733      <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1734       <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1735
1736       <data>
1737        <p>You labour through the mud and slime, gingerly probing ahead with your Staff as you pass among the rancid pools and dark, sluggish streams.</p>
1738        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magic Talisman of the Shianti, add 2 to this number.</p>
1739        <choice idref="sect110">If your total is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 110</link-text>.</choice>
1740        <choice idref="sect100">If your total is 5<ch.endash/>11, <link-text>turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
1741       </data>
1742      </section>
1743
1744      <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1745       <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1746
1747       <data>
1748        <p><quote>Air!</quote> you shout in the sibilant tongue of the Elementals. At once, a host of Gale Wraiths sweeps across the lake, fanning the flames to white-hot. Eventually they blow out the fire, but the massive rise in temperature has burnt both you and Urik to cinders.</p>
1749        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1750       </data>
1751      </section>
1752
1753      <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1754       <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1755
1756       <footnotes>
1757        <footnote id="sect91-1-foot" idref="sect91-1"><p>You are forced to choose to use a Magical Power, even though all the Powers that are available to you may require you to use more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points than you currently possess. If you do not have sufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you may choose to simply subtract the number of <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points required to use the Power you select. This may leave you with a negative <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score, or if it was already negative, it will make your score become even more negative. Alternatively, you may choose the method used in <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw" section="sect175">Section 175</bookref> of <bookref series="gs" book="04wotw"><cite>War of the Wizards</cite></bookref> for resolving this problem: For the <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you lack, you use <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points at a rate of 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points for every 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point (i.e. 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points = 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point).</p></footnote>
1758       </footnotes>
1759
1760       <data>
1761        <p><quote>I have great need for haste, Sado,</quote> you say, <quote>but I will help you this night. What must I do?</quote></p>
1762        <p>A fire lights in Sado<ch.apos/>s eyes. <quote>I thank you, Grey Star, in the name of the people of Karnali.</quote></p>
1763        <p>He tells you of his need for a diversion that will lure the bulk of the Shadakine force outside their walled city-fortress. You consider your Magical Powers, trying to decide which would best accomplish this.<footref id="sect91-1" idref="sect91-1-foot"/></p>
1764        <choice idref="sect139">If you have the Magical Power of Enchantment and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1765        <choice idref="sect290">If you have the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1766        <choice idref="sect208">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 208</link-text>.</choice>
1767       </data>
1768      </section>
1769
1770      <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1771       <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1772
1773       <data>
1774        <p>You run forward along the main street as fast as your legs will carry you. The deserted street is full of old buildings, many of which are still intact. Their strange designs prevent you from guessing their original purpose.</p>
1775        <choice idref="sect175">If you wish to enter one of these buildings, <link-text>turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
1776        <choice idref="sect84">If you wish to leave the main street in case the summons of the Gatekeeper is answered, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
1777       </data>
1778      </section>
1779
1780      <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1781       <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1782
1783       <data>
1784        <p>You wake to the sound of exotic bird song. You resume your journey and, by late afternoon, have left the peril of the swamplands far behind. When you reach the northern edges of the Gurlu Marshes, you see, gleaming in the distance, the city of Karnali and the bright waters of the Suhni River.</p>
1785        <choice idref="sect204"><link-text>Turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
1786       </data>
1787      </section>
1788
1789      <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1790       <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1791
1792       <data>
1793        <p>All you find in the banqueting room is a pile of human bones and some rats that are gnawing on them.</p>
1794        <choice idref="sect306">If you wish to look for Hugi in the throne room, <link-text>turn to 306</link-text>.</choice>
1795        <choice idref="sect127">If you wish to leave the palace without Hugi, <link-text>turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
1796       </data>
1797      </section>
1798
1799      <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1800       <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1801
1802       <data>
1803        <p>All is silent once more. A third volley of bolts does not appear. Fortunately, the Shadakine are unaware that their attacks are weakening your <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell> and have decided that further assaults are useless.</p>
1804        <p>An hour passes. Then, from out of the reeds, a large barrel arcs through the air, a dark liquid spurting from holes drilled into the sides. It splashes into the lake. <quote>What are they up to?</quote> you murmur.</p>
1805        <p><quote>Who can say?</quote> replies Urik. <quote>Shadakine have much cunning.</quote> More barrels are thrown into the lake. Gradually, the thick liquid they contain forms a film on the water, reflecting the light of the setting sun, and soon the entire lake is polluted by the black liquid.</p>
1806        <p>Suddenly, a lighted torch sails through the air and, as it hits the water, ignites the oily surface, transforming the lake into a raging inferno. You are surrounded by flames and soon your clothes begin to smoulder; you wince as the intense heat sears your flesh. Urik fixes you with a panicked stare, primeval fear of fire twisting his features.</p>
1807        <choice idref="sect210">If you have the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
1808        <choice idref="sect297">If you wish to attempt to swim underwater, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
1809       </data>
1810      </section>
1811
1812      <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1813       <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1814
1815       <data>
1816        <p>As you remove the Black Rod from the pocket of your robe, you feel the latent energy that it contains. This was Shasarak<ch.apos/>s master key, an instrument of his power when Taklakot was his domain. Your skill enables you to detect that it will open the door.</p>
1817        <p>The use of this Magical Power has cost you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.</p>
1818        <choice idref="sect148"><link-text>Turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
1819       </data>
1820      </section>
1821
1822      <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1823       <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1824
1825       <data>
1826        <p>As the Magdi falls to the ground dead, you turn and race through the thickening trees with Urik labouring above you, clinging to the branch of a tall tree. He offers you his hand and hauls you up onto the branch. Silently you hide in the tree and watch as the Shadakine dash past. When they are out of sight, Urik gives you a wink and you drop to the ground and head back the way you came. When you return to the clearing there is no sign of the Chaksu.</p>
1827        <choice idref="sect249"><link-text>Turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
1828       </data>
1829      </section>
1830
1831      <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1832       <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1833
1834       <data>
1835        <p>Grimly, you ignore the searing pain in your shoulder and clamber to your feet. Immediately, you are spotted by the Shadakine and a hail of quarrels flies towards you. You slump unconscious to the ground, your heart punctured by one of the many bolts penetrating your body.</p>
1836        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1837       </data>
1838      </section>
1839
1840      <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1841       <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1842
1843       <data>
1844        <p>The warrior is amazed when an old beggar carrying a stick comes charging to attack him. He pays you scant regard until your Staff springs into life, shattering the illusion that deceived him. Owing to the surprise of your attack, ignore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost in the first round of combat.</p>
1845        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Warrior</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
1846        <choice idref="sect40">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
1847       </data>
1848      </section>
1849
1850      <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1851       <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1852
1853       <data>
1854        <p>The ground ahead, which looks so solid, gives way as you prod it with your Staff. Instinctively you take a step backwards. Ripples cross the surface of the quagmire and it starts to bubble furiously. Suddenly, a huge greenish mass of slime and mud, bedecked with trailing creepers and dead vegetation, rises up out of the pit. You have disturbed a Swamp Giant and now you must fight it!</p>
1855        <choice idref="sect10"><link-text>Turn to 10</link-text>.</choice>
1856       </data>
1857      </section>
1858
1859      <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1860       <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1861
1862       <data>
1863        <p>By using the summons of the Chaksu Pipes, you could seek the aid of the mighty Chaksu in fighting the Shadakine. An attack from the swamp would also serve to divert attention away from any action within the city.</p>
1864        <choice idref="sect222">If you wish to aid Sado and the Freedom Guild in this way, <link-text>turn to 222</link-text>.</choice>
1865        <choice idref="sect53">If not, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
1866       </data>
1867      </section>
1868
1869      <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1870       <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1871
1872       <data>
1873        <p>Sadly, you do not live long enough to see the sun set. The source of the movement amongst the Shadakine is a warrior who is creeping into position behind you. As you stare intently ahead, a crossbow bolt thuds into your back, throwing you forwards into the murky green water.</p>
1874        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1875       </data>
1876      </section>
1877
1878      <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1879       <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1880
1881       <data>
1882        <p>The cover of the tome is emblazoned with a Shianti rune. A deep dread stirs in your heart as you slowly translate the meaning of the symbol<ch.emdash/>Shasarak. This symbol can mean but one thing: your mortal enemy, Shasarak the Wytch-king, is a Shianti Master! If you decide to keep the book, mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item. At the bottom of the chest you notice a slender Black Rod, with the rune of Shasarak upon its silver tip. If you wish to keep this Black Rod, mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item (which you carry in a pocket of your robe).</p>
1883        <illustration class="inline">
1884         <meta>
1885          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
1886         </meta>
1887         <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1888         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1889         <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1890        </illustration>
1891        <p>Meanwhile, Hugi has busied himself with his search for gold. <quote>No gold<ch.ellips/>nothing,</quote> he blubbers.</p>
1892        <p><quote>Come now, we have no time for this, Hugi. Is there another way out of here?</quote></p>
1893        <p>Disgruntled by the lack of treasure, Hugi ambles to the far side of the cavern and points to an outcrop of rough-hewn granite. <quote>Here is a door,</quote> he says, <quote>but it is magic-locked. A problem for you to solve, eh Wizard?</quote></p>
1894        <choice idref="sect170">If you possess the Power of Psychomancy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
1895        <choice idref="sect224">If you have the Magical Power of Prophecy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 224</link-text>.</choice>
1896        <choice idref="sect279">If you have the Power of Sorcery and possess 3 or more <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to use on the door, <link-text>turn to 279</link-text>.</choice>
1897        <choice idref="sect242">If you possess insufficient <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points to use any of these powers, <link-text>turn to 242</link-text>.</choice>
1898       </data>
1899      </section>
1900
1901      <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1902       <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1903
1904       <data>
1905        <p>You pass through the archway and into the city. <quote>Gatekeeper, would you mind holding my horse for me?</quote> asks Hugi, holding out the reins of an imaginary horse. The Gatekeeper accepts the non-existent reins and leads the imaginary horse away. Hugi shrugs. <quote>Sorry, I couldn<ch.apos/>t resist it,</quote> he says with a smirk.</p>
1906        <p>You walk along the deserted street, past old buildings, many of which are still intact, although, due to the strangeness of their designs, it is impossible to guess their original purpose.</p>
1907        <choice idref="sect175">If you wish to explore one of these buildings, <link-text>turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
1908        <choice idref="sect73">If you wish to continue along the main street, <link-text>turn to 73</link-text>.</choice>
1909       </data>
1910      </section>
1911
1912      <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1913       <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1914
1915       <data>
1916        <p>The Magdi leap into action as the quailing slave unchains them. You unleash a mighty blast from your Staff at one of the hounds, knocking the Magdi off its feet but, to your dismay, despite the intensity of your attack the Magdi clambers snarling to its feet, shaking both heads, as if dazed. The attack has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. The Magdi have a high resistance to magic.</p>
1917        <p>Meanwhile, the other Magdi continues towards you at an alarming speed, its great drooling jaws thirsting for your flesh. The hound is almost upon you and its muscles coil, ready to leap.</p>
1918        <choice idref="sect61">If you wish to stand and fight the Magdi, <link-text>turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
1919        <choice idref="sect185">If you prefer to evade the attack, <link-text>turn to 185</link-text>.</choice>
1920       </data>
1921      </section>
1922
1923      <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1924       <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1925
1926       <data>
1927        <p>Samu and Urik do not return until nightfall. You cook the fresh meat they have caught over the fire and, when their catch is shared equally among the party, you find you have enough food for four Meals.</p>
1928        <p>The following morning you enter the region called the dead lands.</p>
1929        <choice idref="sect195"><link-text>Turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1930       </data>
1931      </section>
1932
1933      <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1934       <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1935
1936       <data>
1937        <p>Your <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell> forms around you but its power cannot resist the translucent creature that advances towards you, for it is a Deathgaunt, a creature from the spirit world, raised by the Wytch-king to assail you.</p>
1938        <choice idref="sect169"><link-text>Turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
1939       </data>
1940      </section>
1941
1942      <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1943       <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1944
1945       <data>
1946        <p>With a weak smile, you thank the king. <quote>Either,</quote> you say with a gulp of dismay. As the nightmare banquet continues, you and your companions watch with mounting horror as the court feasts on human flesh.</p>
1947        <p><quote>We have to get out of here,</quote> whispers Hugi, his face tinged with green.</p>
1948        <p>Having dined to satiety, the king rises. <quote>And now, dear guests and friends of Gyanima,</quote> he nods in your direction, <quote>I must retire to my chamber. A good morrow to you all.</quote> The king departs. Soon, the courtiers leave and you make your way from the banquet hall. Now you are alone, you decide to try to find a way out of the palace.</p>
1949        <choice idref="sect38">If you wish to return to the throne room, <link-text>turn to 38</link-text>.</choice>
1950        <choice idref="sect184">If you wish to enter a passage to your left, <link-text>turn to 184</link-text>.</choice>
1951        <choice idref="sect248">If you wish to enter a passage to your right, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
1952       </data>
1953      </section>
1954
1955      <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1956       <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1957
1958       <data>
1959        <p>A wall of fire six feet high springs up in front of you, forcing the Shadakine charge to halt abruptly. You beat a hasty retreat while the civilian mob and the Shadakine stare at each other in stunned silence, separated by a widening sheet of flame.</p>
1960        <choice idref="sect9"><link-text>Turn to 9</link-text>.</choice>
1961       </data>
1962      </section>
1963
1964      <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1965       <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1966
1967       <data>
1968        <p>The ground certainly felt solid enough when you probed ahead with your Staff but with your next step you are sucked down with great force. You disappear below the surface so quickly that Urik is unable to help you.</p>
1969        <deadend>Your life is over and your quest ends here.</deadend>
1970       </data>
1971      </section>
1972
1973      <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
1974       <meta><title>111</title></meta>
1975
1976       <data>
1977        <p><quote>The land beyond the Mountains of Morn, the region that is called Desolation Valley, was once the heart of a great kingdom, a nation called Taklakot. One day, a mighty wizard came amongst them, and he bore a great gift<ch.emdash/>so they thought. It was a magical stone which harnessed the fire of the sun. The people of Taklakot grew in knowledge but it was a power gained without wisdom and a great calamity befell them. Somehow, the fire of the Sun stone was released and in a single day an entire race was wiped from the face of the world. The barren land you see around you is the result of that fateful day; its curse still lingers.</quote></p>
1978        <p><quote>But what of the Forbidden City? Why does it still stand?</quote> asks Samu.</p>
1979        <p><quote>The mountains that surround the valley held the blast. The Forbidden City, or Gyanima as it was called, stands beyond those mountains. It was built to guard the pass through the mountains and is the only remnant of a dead civilization.</quote> A greedy light gleams in Hugi<ch.apos/>s eyes. <quote>The value of its treasures is immeasurable,</quote> he breathes.</p>
1980        <p>Your Shianti training and lifestyle have taught you to place no value on material wealth and you soon lose interest in Hugi<ch.apos/>s tales of hidden gold. Once more, you ponder the incredible bleakness of the place. You gaze across the Belzar River, and to the hills beyond, and an involuntary shiver runs down your spine. Drifting down from the hills, you see an eerie, chilling sight. A ghostly, pallid form floats across the river, its hands outstretched towards you; it whispers with a voice like grating stone.</p>
1981        <choice idref="sect132">If you wish to fire a bolt of magical energy from your Staff at the ghostly form, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
1982        <choice idref="sect209">If you wish to wait for it to come closer, <link-text>turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
1983        <choice idref="sect227">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 227</link-text>.</choice>
1984        <choice idref="sect256">If you have the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1985        <choice idref="sect269">If you have the Magical Power of Enchantment and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 269</link-text>.</choice>
1986        <choice idref="sect295">If you have the Magical Power of Evocation and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 295</link-text>.</choice>
1987       </data>
1988      </section>
1989
1990      <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
1991       <meta><title>112</title></meta>
1992
1993       <footnotes>
1994        <footnote id="sect112-1-foot" idref="sect112-1"><p>Remember to deduct the total from your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score before continuing your adventure.</p></footnote>
1995       </footnotes>
1996
1997       <data>
1998        <p>The Kazim light begins to falter. The Shadakine Wytch is weakening. Sustaining the challenge against the Kazim light costs you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point.<footref id="sect112-1" idref="sect112-1-foot"/></p>
1999        <choice idref="sect286">If you wish to maintain the same level of attack, expending 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point altogether this round, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2000        <choice idref="sect190">If you wish to increase your attack by 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, giving a total of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points expended this round, <link-text>turn to 190</link-text>.</choice>
2001        <choice idref="sect253">If you wish to increase your attack by 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, giving a total of 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points expended this round, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
2002       </data>
2003      </section>
2004
2005      <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2006       <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2007
2008       <data>
2009        <p>The Kleas<ch.aacute/> does not advance; it is reluctant to leave the defence of the Shadow Gate. Tanith looks out to you with hope in her eyes. You lift your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff and aim it at the demon shadow, which radiates a strange black light.</p>
2010        <p>Tanith<ch.apos/>s expression changes to one of horror. <quote>Grey Star!</quote> you hear her cry, her voice muffled by the proximity of the other world. <quote>Stay your hand!</quote> The wild fire of your Staff tears towards the Kleas<ch.aacute/> and, as the bolt of energy hits the creature, it is Tanith who recoils in pain. Somehow, the Kleas<ch.aacute/> is making Tanith the victim of its pain. The Kleas<ch.aacute/> emits a chilling laugh full of scorn.</p>
2011        <choice idref="sect122">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery and with to use it to attack the Kleas<ch.aacute/>, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
2012        <choice idref="sect143">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery and possess the Mind Gem, and wish to use them both against the Kleas<ch.aacute/>, <link-text>turn to 143</link-text>.</choice>
2013        <choice idref="sect229">If you wish to use the Black Rod of Shasarak, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2014       </data>
2015      </section>
2016
2017      <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2018       <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2019
2020       <data>
2021        <p>You fall to the ground, unconscious. Your efforts have tested your body to the limit and you have lost a further 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points due to mental and physical exhaustion.</p>
2022        <choice idref="sect8">If you are still alive, <link-text>turn to 8</link-text>.</choice>
2023       </data>
2024      </section>
2025
2026      <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2027       <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2028
2029       <data>
2030        <p>Your struggling only causes you to sink deeper into the mire. Urik reaches out with his long tail and loops it around your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff. He pulls hard as you cling to the Staff with both hands. <quote>No struggle,</quote> Urik whispers. <quote>Relax and quicksand let you free. If you resist, quicksand drag you harder.</quote> You do as he says and, immediately, you stop sinking. Within minutes, Urik is able to grab your hand, and soon you are free.</p>
2031        <p>Before you can thank Urik, you hear a loud cry. <quote>There they are!</quote> A crossbow bolt whistles past your face<ch.emdash/>you have been seen by the Shadakine huntsmen.</p>
2032        <choice idref="sect163">If you wish to turn to face your enemy, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
2033        <choice idref="sect283">If you would rather evade them, <link-text>turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
2034       </data>
2035      </section>
2036
2037      <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2038       <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2039
2040       <data>
2041        <p>Suddenly, a wild, dirt-encrusted man, clothed in tatters of dusty rags, jumps on you from the roof of a small building to your left, sending you sprawling to the floor in a cloud of black dust. With an animal howl, he attempts to tear out your throat with his bare teeth.</p>
2042        <p>Owing to the surprise of the wretch<ch.apos/>s attack, subtract 2 from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight.</p>
2043        <combat><enemy>Dead City Wretch</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">15</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2044        <choice idref="sect197">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 197</link-text>.</choice>
2045       </data>
2046      </section>
2047
2048      <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2049       <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2050
2051       <data>
2052        <p>You decide to fight fire with fire and hurl a bolt of flaming energy at the wall of fire. Your attack is ineffective: the wall of flame neither flickers nor wavers. You have expended 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points in your attack. (Remember to make the necessary adjustment to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
2053        <illustration class="inline">
2054         <meta>
2055          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2056         </meta>
2057         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2058         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2059         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2060        </illustration>
2061        <choice idref="sect240"><link-text>Turn to 240</link-text>.</choice>
2062       </data>
2063      </section>
2064
2065      <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2066       <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2067
2068       <data>
2069        <p>Hidden in the tall marsh reeds, a Shadakine takes careful aim and fires a crossbow bolt at you. The Ooslo screeches with pain as the bolt penetrates its body. It is a deadly wound and you fall like a stone, hurtling towards a shallow lake that is dotted with small sand banks. You pray that the water is deep enough to contain your fall.</p>
2070        <choice idref="sect125"><link-text>Turn to 125</link-text>.</choice>
2071       </data>
2072      </section>
2073
2074      <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2075       <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2076
2077       <data>
2078        <p>At the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point you concentrate on the future. You perceive that there are four humans in the building and that one of them is ready to pounce. If you wish to enter this building, you may add 2 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight that is sure to follow.</p>
2079        <choice idref="sect39">If you wish the enter the building, <link-text>turn to 39</link-text>.</choice>
2080        <choice idref="sect116">If you wish to continue down the main street, <link-text>turn to 116</link-text>.</choice>
2081       </data>
2082      </section>
2083
2084      <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2085       <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2086
2087       <data>
2088        <p><quote>Old Kundi have idea,</quote> says Urik, suddenly. He produces a small hollow sphere of metal, which is attached to a short metal chain. <quote>Give me Azawood leaf!</quote> he demands. He places the Azawood leaf inside the hollow sphere and asks you to light it with your Staff. As the smoke of the slow-burning leaf begins to drift up from holes in the sphere, he whirls the ball above his head. You see his plan, recalling that, with a similar device, the Kundi men saved you from certain death when the Cave Mantiz attacked you in the cloud forest of the Azanam.</p>
2089        <p>Urik steps outside the circle of protection and begins to advance on the Deathgaunts. Immediately, they step back in fear of the cloud of smoke that Urik is carrying towards them. As they retreat, Urik breaks into a shambling run and plunges into their midst. With a fearful moan, the Deathgaunts fade and Urik shouts in triumph.</p>
2090        <p>You have used 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points through the use of Evocation, and one Azawood leaf. Adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
2091        <choice idref="sect129"><link-text>Turn to 129</link-text>.</choice>
2092       </data>
2093      </section>
2094
2095      <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2096       <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2097
2098       <data>
2099        <p>Before sleeping, you hunt out a Yabari bush. When pounded into an ointment and smeared into the skin, its roots are a potent protection against insect bites. Eventually, despite the half-light of the gloaming, you find a Yabari and set about making the ointment. When you have finished, you take the ointment back to Urik and you both cover yourselves thoroughly before settling down to sleep.</p>
2100        <choice idref="sect93"><link-text>Turn to 93</link-text>.</choice>
2101       </data>
2102      </section>
2103
2104      <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2105       <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2106
2107       <data>
2108        <p>The Kleas<ch.aacute/> remains within the Shadow Gate, for its purpose is to guard it. Tanith gazes out at you with a tormented expression on her face. Using 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you throw the Power of your Sorcery at the shadow creature. Tanith staggers with a mute cry. <quote>No, Grey Star!</quote> she screams. <quote>The Kleas<ch.aacute/> is using me as a shield.</quote> The Kleas<ch.aacute/> laughs maliciously.</p>
2109        <choice idref="sect143">If you have the Mind Gem and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 143</link-text>.</choice>
2110        <choice idref="sect229">If you wish to use the Black Rod of Shasarak, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2111       </data>
2112      </section>
2113
2114      <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2115       <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2116
2117       <data>
2118        <p>The Magdi leap at you, their fangs and claws seeking your vulnerable throat. You cannot evade combat and must fight the Magdi as one enemy. Due to the magical skills of their maker, Shasarak, the Magdi have a strong resistance to magic. You must therefore subtract 2 from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight.</p>
2119        <combat><enemy>Magdi Hounds</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">25</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">35</enemy-attribute></combat>
2120        <choice idref="sect177">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 177</link-text>.</choice>
2121       </data>
2122      </section>
2123
2124      <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2125       <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2126
2127       <data>
2128        <p>You come to the remains of an elaborate archway carved into the city wall. The gate collapsed long ago and the street beyond is bleak and deserted. You take a deep breath and start forward. You have taken one step when a voice cries out: <quote>Who goes there?</quote></p>
2129        <p>The head and shoulders of a bony old man pop through a window high above the shattered gate. He regards you suspiciously with wild, bloodshot eyes. His filthy, matted hair hangs down over his shoulders and he waves a broken, rusty sword. <quote>Speak now!</quote> he continues. <quote>I can<ch.apos/>t open the gate until you tell me.</quote></p>
2130        <illustration class="float">
2131         <meta>
2132          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2133          <description>A bony man regards you with wild eyes.</description>
2134         </meta>
2135         <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="645"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2136         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="645"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2137         <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="645" />
2138        </illustration>
2139        <p>Puzzled, you look at the archway and then up at the grime-encrusted man. You can see no gate.</p>
2140        <choice idref="sect212">If you wish to humour the Gatekeeper, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
2141        <choice idref="sect254">If you wish to ignore the ravings of the old man, <link-text>turn to 254</link-text>.</choice>
2142       </data>
2143      </section>
2144
2145      <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2146       <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2147
2148       <data>
2149        <p>Water explodes around you as you hit the lake. You career downwards, water swirling and bubbling all about you, until you hit the bottom. Fortunately, the water has slowed your descent and you survive the fall without injury.</p>
2150        <p>Although encumbered by your Backpack and Staff, you manage to kick out strongly towards the surface, your lungs bursting for air. Emerging into the air, gasping for breath and choking, you look around for some sign of Urik. Moments later, he breaks through the surface of the water, grinning fiercely. <quote>Greetings, Wizard,</quote> he says, spitting water and coughing, <quote>you are well?</quote> You give a curt nod before splashing towards a sandy islet.</p>
2151        <p>The islet is located near the centre of the lake. Dense clumps of reeds surround its dull, green waters and beyond them, you can hear the shouts of the Shadakine as they seek you out. <quote>We must hide<ch.emdash/>get away from here. We<ch.apos/>re too exposed,</quote> you say urgently to Urik, making to step into the water. You feel Urik<ch.apos/>s restraining hand on your shoulder.</p>
2152        <p><quote>Wait!</quote> he says, pointing ahead. You follow the direction of his arm. A host of multi-coloured birds has taken off in alarm from the surface of the lake. The blur of colour draws your eye to something immediately below them that is moving straight towards you.</p>
2153        <p>Two pale eyes on slender stalks protrude above the water, cold and emotionless, their irises no more than red slashes. <quote>Eijalfish,</quote> says Urik. <quote>Very big. Very poisonous. Very dangerous! And now, Shadakine come<ch.ellips/>is not good.</quote> Sure enough, you hear the sound of the Shadakine hunting party, beating at the dense foliage as they draw closer. In a few minutes, they are sure to discover you, stranded here in the middle of the lake.</p>
2154        <illustration class="float">
2155         <meta>
2156          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2157          <description>Two pale eyes protrude above the water, cold and emotionless.</description>
2158         </meta>
2159         <instance class="html" src="ill10.png" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2160         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill10.gif" width="386" height="642"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2161         <instance class="pdf" src="ill10.pdf" width="386" height="642" />
2162        </illustration>
2163        <choice idref="sect181">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery and wish to create a magical shield capable of deflecting missiles, <link-text>turn to 181</link-text>.</choice>
2164        <choice idref="sect230">If you have the Magical Power of Elementalism and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
2165        <choice idref="sect274">If you wish to attack the Eijalfish with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2166       </data>
2167      </section>
2168
2169      <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2170       <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2171
2172       <data>
2173        <p>It is still dark when you are woken by Urik the following morning. <quote>Come, Wizard<ch.emdash/>no time for sleep now; time for haste.</quote> Still groggy with sleep, you rise, take up your Backpack and Staff, and make ready to leave.</p>
2174        <p><quote>What about food?</quote> you ask.</p>
2175        <p><quote>Food?</quote> Urik sniffs, derisively. <quote>Food grows on the land<ch.ellips/>water falls from sky<ch.ellips/>down from mountain river<ch.ellips/>only foolish man wish to carry the earth and the sky upon his back in little bag. Come now.</quote></p>
2176        <p>Urik disappears through the door of your room and you have no choice but to follow. You follow Urik in the half light as he clambers along the wooden walkways of the Kundi colony. The air is warm and damp with dew and the clouds hang low above the trees of the Azanam. Already, Urik has nearly disappeared from sight in the thick mist and you struggle to match his pace as he steps nimbly from one platform to another. Soon the Kundi village is far behind and you are travelling along the thick branches of the giant Azawood trees.</p>
2177        <choice idref="sect216">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 216</link-text>.</choice>
2178        <choice idref="sect257">If you do not possess this Power, <link-text>turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
2179       </data>
2180      </section>
2181
2182      <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2183       <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2184
2185       <data>
2186        <p>It takes more than a day to find your way out of the palace and even longer to escape the Forbidden City. The slow and laborious climb into the Mountains of Morn takes a further three days and on the eve of the third day, you look up with a sinking heart to see the shining face of a full moon. The Shadow Gate appears somewhere in the desolate valley below. When the moon eventually passes to its next phase, you are still searching for a way down from the mountains. The sickness that afflicts the dead lands and the Mountains of Morn eventually takes its toll and one by one you and your companions die in the desolate wilderness.</p>
2187        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
2188       </data>
2189      </section>
2190
2191      <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2192       <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2193
2194       <data>
2195        <p>It does not require a prophet to predict the outcome of your situation. As you attempt to gaze into the future, twenty trained soldiers aim their crossbows at you. You tumble to the ground, a mass of bolts buried in your chest, and pass swiftly from this world.</p>
2196        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
2197       </data>
2198      </section>
2199
2200      <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2201       <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2202
2203       <data>
2204        <p>Steeling yourself for the long march through the night, you strike out and pray that the Deathgaunts do not appear. You are already tired, and the chill fever that the Deathgaunts have inflicted on you is wearing down your resistance.</p>
2205        <p>Stumbling with fatigue through the inky black night, you lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points through lack of sleep, but your heart lifts when, with the coming of dawn, you see the shattered outline of a city couched in the hills at the foot of the mountains at the point where the Belzar River forks.</p>
2206        <choice idref="sect52"><link-text>Turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
2207       </data>
2208      </section>
2209
2210      <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2211       <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2212
2213       <data>
2214        <p>You run down a long road that runs parallel to the city wall, the mob still at your back. You are forced to an abrupt halt by the sight of another pack of madmen heading straight towards you.</p>
2215        <choice idref="sect221">If you wish to climb a flight of stairs that leads to a wooden walkway above your head, <link-text>turn to 221</link-text>.</choice>
2216        <choice idref="sect301">If you decide to enter one of the small houses that face the city wall, <link-text>turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
2217       </data>
2218      </section>
2219
2220      <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2221       <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2222
2223       <data>
2224        <p>You take the jewel and stare at it intently. The giant continues to look confused.</p>
2225        <choice idref="sect282">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery, <link-text>turn to 282</link-text>.</choice>
2226        <choice idref="sect305">If you do not possess this Power, <link-text>turn to 305</link-text>.</choice>
2227       </data>
2228      </section>
2229
2230      <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2231       <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2232
2233       <data>
2234        <p>You release the might of your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff and its flame shoots towards the spectre on the water. To your surprise, however, it passes straight through, inflicting no damage. This creature is a Deathgaunt, an undead being summoned to the world of the living by the Wytch-king himself. Your unsuccessful assault has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
2235        <choice idref="sect169"><link-text>Turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
2236       </data>
2237      </section>
2238
2239      <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2240       <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2241
2242       <footnotes>
2243        <footnote id="sect133-1-foot" idref="sect133-1"><p>If you wish to take the Sheath, record it as a Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p></footnote>
2244       </footnotes>
2245
2246       <data>
2247        <p>That night, the streets of Karnali are filled with joyous celebration. The surviving Shadakine are flushed out from their bolt-holes and imprisoned in the dungeons beneath their own fortress. It is a great victory for the brave fighters of the Freedom Guild, for at last, after many years of oppression, the people in this small corner of the Shadakine Empire are free.</p>
2248        <p>In a chamber in the Shadakine fortress, you sit with Urik and Sado of the Long Knife, who toasts you with a huge goblet of wine. <quote>To you, Grey Star,</quote> he says, <quote>I give my thanks and good wishes. Long may you endure.</quote></p>
2249        <p>But Urik sits in the corner and grumbles: <quote>Much celebration. Small victory. Shadakine Empire,</quote> and he stretches his arms wide apart, <quote><em>big</em>!</quote> Then placing his thumb and forefinger together, <quote>City of Karnali, small.</quote></p>
2250        <p><quote>Urik is right,</quote> you say, <quote>but at least this is a beginning.</quote> And you smile warmly at Sado.</p>
2251        <p><quote>Where will you go now, Grey Star?</quote> he asks.</p>
2252        <p><quote>West, to the Mountains of Morn<ch.emdash/>and beyond.</quote></p>
2253        <p>Sado gapes. <quote>To <quote>the dead lands</quote>!</quote> he exclaims. <quote>But this is folly. None return from there. There is a sickness on the land that kills all, and the Mountains of Morn are impassable.</quote></p>
2254        <p><quote>There must be some way through them,</quote> you say, <quote>and I will find it.</quote></p>
2255        <p><quote>There is only one known pass,</quote> Sado continues, <quote>but it holds the greatest peril of all<ch.emdash/>Gyanima, the Forbidden City<ch.ellips/>the City of the Dead!</quote> He shakes his head solemnly. <quote>Will you not turn away from this reckless course?</quote></p>
2256        <p>You shrug. <quote>There is no other way. Urik<ch.apos/>s vision leads to Desolation Valley and my quest takes me there.</quote></p>
2257        <p>Sado falls silent and an uncomfortable quiet follows. Finally, you rise and bid Sado goodnight, for you intend to leave Karnali the following morning. <quote>I had hoped you would remain, Grey Star,</quote> he says. <quote>You are a powerful ally and I have great need of strength. Soon, the Wytch-king will seek to destroy our freedom. Without your help, our liberty may prove short-lived. Moreover, you choose a path of doom, heedless of my words of warning.</quote></p>
2258        <p><quote>Fear not, Sado of the Long Knife,</quote> you reply. <quote>If I achieve my goal, there will be freedom for all ensnared by the cruel grasp of the Wytch-king. I do not intend to fail.</quote></p>
2259        <p>You leave the chamber, and close the door behind you. Despite your courageous words, a creeping uncertainty is stirring in your heart. <quote>Hmph!</quote> snorts Urik. <quote>Him brave man<ch.ellips/>but have small mind.</quote> He places a finger to his nose. <quote>Him see only this far. Young Wizard learn quickly<ch.ellips/>carry blessing of wise Shianti. You will not fail.</quote> You pray that the old Kundi man is right.</p>
2260        <p>You rise the following morning and prepare to leave. Your sleep has restored to you 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point and 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. Sado enters your chamber to bid you farewell. <quote>I have come to apologize for my harsh words last night,</quote> he says. <quote>It is not for me to question the way of Wizards. I am but a simple soldier. I have brought gifts by way of recompense.</quote> He lays before you the following items:</p>
2261
2262        <ul>
2263         <li>Enough food for 5 Meals</li>
2264         <li>Short Sword and Sheath (hung on a belt)<footref id="sect133-1" idref="sect133-1-foot"/></li>
2265         <li>Backpack</li>
2266         <li>2 Potions of Laumspur (swallowing one potion restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points)</li>
2267         <li>Coil of Rope</li>
2268        </ul>
2269            <illustration class="inline">
2270         <meta>
2271          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2272         </meta>
2273         <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2274         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2275         <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2276        </illustration>
2277        <p>You may take any or all of these items. Remember to make the necessary adjustments to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2278        <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
2279       </data>
2280      </section>
2281
2282      <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2283       <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2284
2285       <data>
2286        <p>Samu has a great, bloody gash on his shoulder but he has managed to slay his opponent. Now the crowd of mad courtiers attempts to halt your path; they are unarmed but filled with a raging intensity. Desperately, you try to fight your way out of the throne room.</p>
2287        <combat><enemy>Mad Courtiers</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">23</enemy-attribute></combat>
2288        <choice idref="sect153">If you survive 3 rounds of combat, <link-text>turn to 153</link-text>.</choice>
2289       </data>
2290      </section>
2291
2292      <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2293       <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2294
2295       <data>
2296        <p>Unsure of your direction and physically exhausted, you move along the passage, unable to run any faster than a slow trot. Suddenly you hear the shouts of the enraged courtiers pursuing you once more and Hugi gives a shrill whistle. <quote>Let<ch.apos/>s hide in here,</quote> he calls.</p>
2297        <choice idref="sect270">If you wish to do as Hugi suggests, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
2298        <choice idref="sect178">If you possess the Magical Power of Enchantment and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
2299       </data>
2300      </section>
2301
2302      <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2303       <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2304
2305       <footnotes>
2306        <footnote id="sect136-1-foot" idref="sect136-1"><p>Remember to deduct the total from your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score before continuing your adventure.</p></footnote>
2307       </footnotes>
2308
2309       <data>
2310        <p>You increase the power of your attack and, for one brief moment, the Kazim light is extinguished, but only to flare again with increased vigour. The Shadakine look around them; a strange mixture of fear and ferocity contorts their faces.<footref id="sect136-1" idref="sect136-1-foot"/></p>
2311        <choice idref="sect286">If you wish to sustain the same intensity of attack, expending 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point this round, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2312        <choice idref="sect253">If you wish to increase your attack by 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point making a total of 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points expended this round, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
2313       </data>
2314      </section>
2315
2316      <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2317       <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2318
2319       <data>
2320        <p>You draw a wide pentacle around the area you have chosen to rest in. At the cost of 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points you chant a spell of protection that will prevent the Deathgaunts from attacking. Fighting your sense of unease, you settle down to sleep.</p>
2321        <choice idref="sect298"><link-text>Turn to 298</link-text>.</choice>
2322       </data>
2323      </section>
2324
2325      <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2326       <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2327
2328       <data>
2329        <p>As before, you soak the leaf and leave it to smoulder at the centre of the company. You then lie down on the ground, hungry now for sleep. (Remember to delete the Azawood leaf from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
2330        <choice idref="sect298"><link-text>Turn to 298</link-text>.</choice>
2331       </data>
2332      </section>
2333
2334      <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2335       <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2336
2337       <data>
2338        <p>You set about the task of creating a grand illusion. A Guildsman guides you to the fortress and you begin to focus your power upon it. There are many soldiers within and it takes a considerable time to exert your influence over them. Finally, after exerting 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you are able to cease your trials. Hundreds of Shadakine pour forth from their barracks, slapping and scratching at the hordes of crawling insects that only they can see and feel. They open the gates to the fortress and run into the street where Sado<ch.apos/>s army, disguised as civilians, lies in wait.</p>
2339        <choice idref="sect207"><link-text>Turn to 207</link-text>.</choice>
2340       </data>
2341      </section>
2342
2343      <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2344       <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2345
2346       <data>
2347        <p>A crossbow bolt slices through the air. You gasp with pain as it penetrates your shoulder (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). Urik looks up in alarm. <quote>Grey Star!</quote> he shouts. <quote>You all right?</quote> You grit your teeth against the pain and nod. A dark stain of blood spreads across your robe. The Ooslo bird is losing height rapidly and, before the Shadakine are able to release another bolt, you are flying low enough to jump to the ground. At Urik<ch.apos/>s instruction you untie the vine, wincing with the pain of your wound, and fall to the ground without further injury.</p>
2348        <p>You tumble through a vast swathe of marsh grass that grows chest-high, and stretches in all directions. Urik gets to his feet and comes to inspect your wound. Bravely, you make to withdraw the shaft that protrudes from your shoulder but Urik stays your hand. <quote>No, not yet. Much bleeding if you pull the spike. We need herbs<ch.ellips/>stop bleeding<ch.ellips/>stop infection, yes?</quote> You nod in agreement. <quote>Come follow old Kundi. Find good herbs very near.</quote> He moves away, his eyes searching the ground, and you follow. Soon you reach a shallow waterway that cuts through the tall marsh grass like a trail. There, Urik finds what he is looking for and sits you down beside the little stream. <quote>Urik cannot find anything to stop pain but make sure wound heal. I must hurt you now<ch.emdash/>I am sorry.</quote></p>
2349        <p>With a hand both swift and sure, he pulls the bolt from your shoulder; you hiss with pain. He tears away the material of your sleeve and presses his steady hand to the wound. Then, cupping his hand, he takes some water from the stream and cleans the wound. Next, to your surprise, he grabs a handful of mud from the bottom of the stream and smears it over the injury. The cool mud eases the fire in your shoulder and, as it dries, quickly staunches the bleeding. He cleans the torn shreds of your sleeve and knots them like a bandage around your shoulder. <quote>Is good?</quote> he asks.</p>
2350        <p><quote>I thank you, Urik,</quote> you reply. He pats your hand, affectionately.</p>
2351        <p><quote>No need for thanks,</quote> he says. <quote>Wise old Kundi know healing ways. Pain stop soon.</quote></p>
2352        <p>Suddenly, a terrible sound reaches your ears: a moaning howl like that of an animal in pain. Urik<ch.apos/>s face darkens and he helps you to your feet. Crouching, so that you remain hidden, you both peep across the top of the marsh grass in the direction of the sound. In a small clearing, some two hundred yards away, you see a frightened peasant<ch.emdash/>a Shadakine slave. He is struggling to control two snarling hounds who tug at the lengths of thick chain fixed to their harnesses. They are huge and fierce: each has two heads with a single horn growing at the centre of each, and outsized fangs show through their slavering jowls. <quote>Master! Master!</quote> the slave calls to a tall Shadakine, undoubtedly the officer in charge. <quote>The Magdi<ch.emdash/>they smell something.</quote> The tall Shadakine officer screws up his eyes; a wicked smile plays across his face.</p>
2353        <choice idref="sect25">If you wish to attempt to evade by following the waterway, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
2354        <choice idref="sect105">If you wish to attempt a long-range attack with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff, <link-text>turn to 105</link-text>.</choice>
2355       </data>
2356      </section>
2357
2358      <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2359       <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2360
2361       <data>
2362        <p>You are now engaged in a duel of wills. The combined <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> score of the Wytch and her Stone is 40. Add together your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> and <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> scores and subtract this total from 40.</p>
2363        <choice idref="sect280">If your final score is 15 or higher, <link-text>turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2364        <choice idref="sect205">If your final score is 14 or lower, <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
2365       </data>
2366      </section>
2367
2368      <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2369       <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2370
2371       <data>
2372        <p>Taking care to shield yourself from the yellow glare of the Kazim light, you trace the shaft to its source within the fortress. The Shadakine Wytch fails to notice your presence, lurking like a crimson corona at the edge of her mind. The strain of her effort to uphold the courage of so many of her countrymen shows plainly on her pock-marked face.</p>
2373        <p>You then notice another mind in the chamber of the Wytch. It is that of the Warward, Kiro, the hard-faced military governor of the Shadakine garrison in Karnali. He is sweating profusely, his fear of the wrath of the Wytch-king weakening him.</p>
2374        <choice idref="sect31">If you wish to control the mind of the Warward, Kiro, <link-text>turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
2375        <choice idref="sect49">If you wish to control the mind of the Shadakine Wytch, <link-text>turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
2376       </data>
2377      </section>
2378
2379      <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2380       <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2381
2382       <data>
2383        <p>You take out the red jewel. Drawing on the Power of Sorcery from the Astral Plane, you project your will into the Gem and it begins to glow, shining with a blood-red light. You throw this power at the Kleas<ch.aacute/> and attempt to bend it to your will. Tanith<ch.apos/>s body becomes rigid and, stiffly, she turns her head towards you. The Kleas<ch.aacute/> remains unaffected and emits a chill laugh. You have used 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points.</p>
2384        <choice idref="sect122">If you wish to use your Magical Power of Sorcery against the Kleas<ch.aacute/>, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
2385        <choice idref="sect229">If you wish to use the Black Rod of Shasarak, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2386       </data>
2387      </section>
2388
2389      <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2390       <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2391
2392       <data>
2393        <p>With the evil cunning that you have come to expect of the Shadakine, they use their slaves as a human wall, thus preventing the masked attackers from bringing their full force to bear for fear of killing the innocent people they have come to free.</p>
2394        <p>You notice that the chains that manacle the slaves are all linked to one metal ring at the end of the line. If you can break the chain at this point, you will be able to free all the slaves at a stroke. Standing by this link-pin is the Shadakine slavemaster. Fearlessly, you charge. The slavemaster<ch.apos/>s eyes widen with surprise but he appears unshaken by your advance. He clutches at a red Gem at his neck and, as he does, his personal slave steps forward. Seven feet tall and with powerful muscles bulging beneath his ebony skin, he fixes you with a blank expression as he raises his huge broadsword.</p>
2395        <choice idref="sect179">If you wish to attack the black giant, <link-text>turn to 179</link-text>.</choice>
2396        <choice idref="sect196">If you wish to unleash a long-range attack on the slavemaster, <link-text>turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
2397        <choice idref="sect266">If you have the Magical Power of Sorcery and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
2398       </data>
2399      </section>
2400
2401      <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2402       <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2403
2404       <data>
2405        <p>You mark your pentacle in the dust and begin to chant. The Deathgaunts come no further but remain outside the reach of the spell, whispering. The four of you stand huddled within the pentacle, each regarding the Deathgaunts with frightened eyes.</p>
2406        <illustration class="float">
2407         <meta>
2408          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2409          <description>The Deathgaunts come no further but remain outside the reach of the spell, whispering.</description>
2410         </meta>
2411         <instance class="html" src="ill11.png" width="386" height="646"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2412         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill11.gif" width="386" height="646"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2413         <instance class="pdf" src="ill11.pdf" width="386" height="646" />
2414        </illustration>
2415        <p><quote>Grey Star,</quote> says Samu in a hushed tone. <quote>They have not departed. We cannot remain here forever.</quote></p>
2416        <p><quote>They can,</quote> comments Urik.</p>
2417        <choice idref="sect120">If you possess an Azawood Leaf or a portion from a Bundle of Azawood Leaves, <link-text>turn to 120</link-text>.</choice>
2418        <choice idref="sect162">If you do not have any Azawood leaves, <link-text>turn to 162</link-text>.</choice>
2419       </data>
2420      </section>
2421
2422      <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2423       <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2424
2425       <data>
2426        <p>There is no time to cast an illusion as the Shadakine are advancing fast. Instead, you try to place the compulsion to flee into their minds.</p>
2427        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. You may add 3 to this number if you possess the Chaksu Pipes.</p>
2428        <choice idref="sect42">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
2429        <choice idref="sect289">If the number you have picked is 6<ch.endash/>12, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
2430       </data>
2431      </section>
2432
2433      <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2434       <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2435
2436       <data>
2437        <p>You close your eyes and send the power of your thought forwards in time. The use of this Magical Power costs you 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. The source of the movement is a Shadakine warrior attempting to get behind you, and your best course of action is to fire at the warrior before he can make his move.</p>
2438        <choice idref="sect223"><link-text>Turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
2439       </data>
2440      </section>
2441
2442      <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2443       <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2444
2445       <footnotes>
2446        <footnote id="sect148-1-foot" idref="sect148-1"><p>If you have not already done so, mark the Black Rod as a Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p></footnote>
2447       </footnotes>
2448
2449       <data>
2450        <p>You raise the Black Rod and point it towards the door.<footref id="sect148-1" idref="sect148-1-foot"/> Willing the door to open, you notice a thin beam of yellow light strike the surface and silently it swings open to reveal another passage sloping upwards into the distance.</p>
2451        <choice idref="sect267">If you wish to pass through the door, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
2452        <choice idref="sect213">If you prefer to stay where you are, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
2453       </data>
2454      </section>
2455
2456      <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2457       <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2458
2459       <data>
2460        <p>Despite the great damage you are inflicting on the Magdi, the enraged beast refuses to die. Try as he might, Urik is of no use<ch.emdash/>his old limbs and physical weakness make him incapable of hand to hand combat. He can only watch with fear and apprehension. His concern is so great that he fails to notice the band of Shadakine warriors stealing up on you through the dense undergrowth. As a result, you are quickly overpowered by the gloating Shadakine and, at a word from their tall sour-faced captain, the Magdi obediently ceases its attack.</p>
2461        <p><quote>Not much of a catch,</quote> sneers the captain, <quote>but good sport, eh?</quote> Your Staff and Backpack are taken from you and your wrists and ankles are tightly bound with leather thongs. <quote>And this is a pretty toy,</quote> he says, weighing your Staff in his hands. <quote>But tell me, who are you, boy? Speak!</quote> You remain silent. <quote>Lost your tongue, have you? Well that can be arranged, permanently!</quote> He gives you a stinging blow across the face, smiling grimly. Urik struggles angrily against the restraining hands that hold him. <quote>Be still <quote>monkey-man</quote>,</quote> he scowls, <quote>or you<ch.apos/>ll be tasting some of the same.</quote> He returns his hateful gaze to you. <quote>What are you then, boy? What do you know of the Freedom Guild? You are their spy perhaps? You serve the rebel army, do you not?</quote></p>
2462        <p>Still, you remain silent. You have no knowledge of the Freedom Guild he has mentioned but the thought that there exists a form of organized resistance to the evil of the Shadakine Empire is a comfort. With a look of disgust, the captain turns away. <quote>The Warward, Kiro, will find out all he needs to know on our return to Karnali,</quote> he says threateningly, <quote>and Mother Niya<ch.apos/>s truthsay is hard to refuse.</quote></p>
2463        <p>You are unable to repress a shudder as you are reminded of the truthsay of Mother Magri and her awful Kazim Stone when first you came to the traders<ch.apos/> city of Suhn. The Wytches of Shadaki are among the most powerful of Shasarak<ch.apos/>s servants, upholders of his corrupt law in all the major cities of the Empire.</p>
2464        <p><quote>Move, you scum!</quote> the captain shouts at his men. <quote>We must reach Karnali as soon as possible.</quote> He glances sideways at you, one eyebrow raised. <quote>There<ch.apos/>s more to this strange pair than meets the eye,</quote> he says under his breath.</p>
2465        <p>You and Urik are carried by slave bearers, slung to long wooden poles like hunting trophies. Your ankles and wrists are constantly bound and you are offered the barest of scraps of food and a minimum of water. By the second day of travelling, you have lost 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and you begin to wonder if you will survive the journey as you linger in a weak, semi-conscious haze that makes the casting of any spell impossible.</p>
2466        <choice idref="sect200"><link-text>Turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
2467       </data>
2468      </section>
2469
2470      <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2471       <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2472
2473       <data>
2474        <p>You must eat a Meal now or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Time passes and soon you lose track of the passing hours in the pitch dark. You curse your ill-fortune, thinking that you will have to use the power of your Staff to blast a way out of your prison, but you are feeling weak and still you have to reach Desolation Valley, which is bound to hold other dangers for you. You are roused from this moody reflection by the sound of shouting voices and the noise of a struggle from above. Suddenly, the door of your prison is thrown open. Looking down on you is the broad smiling figure of Samu, bloodied broadsword in hand. <quote>But how<ch.ellips/>?</quote> stutters Hugi.</p>
2475        <p><quote>The river carried me way downstream before I was able to resist its current,</quote> says Samu. <quote>I<ch.apos/>ve been looking all over for you. Fortunately, I was nearby when you were captured. I saw them bring you down into this crypt.</quote> He turns and slashes at a wretch who is trying to drag him away from the door. The wretch is swatted like a fly and Samu turns back to face you. <quote>Come now. We must hurry.</quote></p>
2476        <p>He pulls you out, each in turn, stopping to deliver a kick at two wretches who block the doorway from the crypt. <quote>This way,</quote> he says, indicating a narrow passage that leads upwards. <quote>These creatures seem reluctant to travel this passage. They will not follow us, I think.</quote> You run along the passage as fast as you can with Samu protecting the rear. At the end of the passage is a heavy door. Urik swings it open and charges through.</p>
2477        <choice idref="sect26"><link-text>Turn to 26</link-text>.</choice>
2478       </data>
2479      </section>
2480
2481      <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2482       <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2483
2484       <data>
2485        <p>Hardly daring to breathe, you and Urik remain crouched within the dense marsh grass. A Shadakine warrior pauses to look around only a few yards from your hiding place. He takes a step towards you, and then gives a startled cry as he sinks into the quicksand which once held you. His cries for help alert a number of his fellow warriors who come to his aid, hurling jeers and insults at his apparent stupidity.</p>
2486        <p>Urik gives a satisfied nod and gestures for you to follow him. With quiet, tentative steps, you move away from the clamour of the Shadakine warriors, exploiting this unexpected distraction to the full. When Urik is satisfied that you have placed a sufficient distance between you and your enemy, he motions for you to sit down. With sure hands he breaks the quarrel that is embedded in your shoulder. <quote>Make no sound,</quote> whispers Urik, before pulling the bolt. You grit your teeth as he tugs at the shaft and <quote>swallow</quote> the pain. A shallow stream trickles close by and he uses its waters to clean the wound. <quote>There is good medicine here,</quote> he says, plunging his hand into the stream and withdrawing a fistful of mud, which he daubs liberally over your injury. The mud feels cool against the throbbing pain of your shoulder and, as it dries, it staunches the bleeding. You thank Urik for his aid.</p>
2487        <p>Suddenly a chilling howl reaches your ears, sending a shiver of fear down your spine. Cautiously, Urik rises to peer along the tops of the chest-high marsh grass, searching for the source of the howl. He quickly ducks his head and turns to speak, a worried look on his face. He tells you that the Shadakine have hunting dogs and are preparing to release them. They are the Magdi: ferocious hounds with two heads<ch.emdash/>the creation of the Wytch-king Shasarak.</p>
2488        <choice idref="sect123">If you wish to stand and fight the Magdi, <link-text>turn to 123</link-text>.</choice>
2489        <choice idref="sect156">If you prefer to run from the Magdi, following the shallow waterway that cuts through the grass, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
2490       </data>
2491      </section>
2492
2493      <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2494       <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2495
2496       <data>
2497        <p>You shake your head, moulding the force of your will in an attempt to draw a <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell> before you once again. <quote>We must,</quote> says Urik, urgently. But it is too late. Before you are able to complete the Shield, a hail of bolts darkens the sky. With a gasp of pain, you expel your last breath, falling back into the murky waters of the lake, your body pierced by several crossbow bolts.</p>
2498        <deadend>Your life and your mission end here.</deadend>
2499       </data>
2500      </section>
2501
2502      <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2503       <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2504
2505       <data>
2506        <p>The overwhelming cut and thrust of your attack has cleared a path to the large archway that is the only exit from the throne room. <quote>Now, Grey Star!</quote> shouts Samu, and with Urik and Hugi between you, you run towards the archway, thrusting glancing blows at anyone who comes too close.</p>
2507        <choice idref="sect19">If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> total is 10 or more, <link-text>turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
2508        <p>If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> total is 9 or less, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2509        <choice idref="sect27">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 27</link-text>.</choice>
2510        <choice idref="sect33">If the number is 6<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 33</link-text>.</choice>
2511       </data>
2512      </section>
2513
2514      <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2515       <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2516
2517       <data>
2518        <p>You ignore their evil taunting and continue towards the mountains. Slowly, the Deathgaunts drift towards you, filling your heart with panic as they draw closer and closer.</p>
2519        <choice idref="sect59"><link-text>Turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2520       </data>
2521      </section>
2522
2523      <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2524       <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2525
2526       <data>
2527        <p>The confidence of the Shadakine is visibly shaken when your discharge of fiery magic completely incinerates a warrior. The use of your Staff has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. You are amazed, your powers seem greatly increased since last you used them. A blast as potent as the one you have just released would normally have drained a great deal of your <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ>. You smile with grim satisfaction as the shocked Shadakine dive for cover.</p>
2528        <p>The Shadakine officer is quickly trying to restore order as the shaken Shadakine scramble behind the cover of the tall marsh grass. He orders them to ready weapons and prepare to fire. Soon, the Shadakine will be able to bring the full force of their weapons against you. You feel that you are in a hopeless situation. The Shadakine are not short of supplies and will be content to wait out this siege. Meanwhile, you have no food and no cover.</p>
2529        <choice idref="sect5">If you wish to attempt to swim away, <link-text>turn to 5</link-text>.</choice>
2530        <choice idref="sect128">If you possess the Magical Power of Prophecy an wish to foresee the outcome of your predicament, <link-text>turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
2531       </data>
2532      </section>
2533
2534      <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2535       <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2536
2537       <data>
2538        <p>The thick foliage of the marsh makes for ideal cover and the latticed network of small waterways and streams, tributaries of the Suhni River delta, are sure to confuse any tracks that you might leave. The whole verdant expanse of the Gurlu Marshes is one huge natural maze.</p>
2539        <p>The air is thick with humidity and an abundance of insect life. Splashing through the dark mud of the stream, you struggle to maintain a fast pace, and your efforts are well rewarded. Eventually, the sound of pursuit and the hoarse cries of the Shadakine fade into the distance. It seems that you have shaken off your pursuers.</p>
2540        <choice idref="sect252"><link-text>Turn to 252</link-text>.</choice>
2541       </data>
2542      </section>
2543
2544      <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2545       <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2546
2547       <data>
2548        <p>You call over to Samu. <quote>Guard this entrance,</quote> you say, tying the Rope around you and indicating the hole you intend to descend into. He gives a grim nod. <quote>Hugi!</quote> you say. <quote>Feed the Rope down gently.</quote></p>
2549        <p>With these words, you leap to the edge of the hole and begin to lower yourself down slowly. You land safely at the bottom and wait for Urik to clamber down. A lifetime of tree-life has made him more than capable of climbing safely to the ground beside you.</p>
2550        <p>You are standing in the middle of a honeycomb made of stone. The light of the full moon streams through the holes in the surface of the plain and the maze is bright with translucent light. Urik sniffs the air. <quote>Follow me,</quote> he says. With tension mounting in your heart, you prepare to meet your enemy.</p>
2551        <choice idref="sect272"><link-text>Turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
2552       </data>
2553      </section>
2554
2555      <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2556       <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2557
2558       <data>
2559        <p>As you strike a final blow, the Gatekeeper falls dead. Suddenly a host of half-naked, wild-eyed people round a street corner and surge towards you. There are over a score of men, women, and children, all howling with murderous intent. Horrified, you turn and run.</p>
2560        <choice idref="sect130"><link-text>Turn to 130</link-text>.</choice>
2561       </data>
2562      </section>
2563
2564      <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2565       <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2566
2567       <data>
2568        <p>The urgent fury of your Staff throws the Shadakine warrior into the air and he falls to the ground, a scorched and bloody thing. The attack has cost you 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. The mob surges forward to attack the Shadakine, hurling bricks and stones at their hated enemies.</p>
2569        <choice idref="sect40"><link-text>Turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
2570       </data>
2571      </section>
2572
2573      <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2574       <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2575
2576       <data>
2577        <p>You deepen your concentration, pouring more energy into your <spell>Shield of Sorcery</spell>, so that it grows in size to include Urik within its field of protection. This costs you another 2 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points. Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2578        <choice idref="sect118">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
2579        <choice idref="sect44">If the number you have picked is 7 or higher, <link-text>turn to 44</link-text>.</choice>
2580       </data>
2581      </section>
2582
2583      <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2584       <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2585
2586       <data>
2587        <p>A long and thorough search reveals nothing. He is not in the passage.</p>
2588        <choice idref="sect94">If you wish to look for Hugi in the banqueting room, <link-text>turn to 94</link-text>.</choice>
2589        <choice idref="sect300">If you wish to look for Hugi in the throne room, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2590        <choice idref="sect127">If you wish to continue without Hugi, <link-text>turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
2591       </data>
2592      </section>
2593
2594      <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2595       <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2596
2597       <footnotes>
2598        <footnote id="sect162-1-foot" idref="sect162-1"><p>As you have used your Power of Evocation against the Deathgaunts, you should deduct 3 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points (cf. <a idref="sect120">Section 120</a>).</p></footnote>
2599       </footnotes>
2600
2601       <data>
2602        <p>You are trapped. The Deathgaunts remain where they are, whispering taunts and goading you to attack them if you dare. You have no choice other than to step outside the pentacle.<footref id="sect162-1" idref="sect162-1-foot"/></p>
2603        <choice idref="sect59"><link-text>Turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2604       </data>
2605      </section>
2606
2607      <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2608       <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2609
2610       <data>
2611        <p>Heedless of the danger to yourself, you turn and fire at the Shadakine as they tramp through the marsh grass. A bolt of force rips into the nearest Shadakine as he fumbles to reload his weapon and he falls to the ground in a blinding sheet of magical flame. Your attack has cost you only 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point. You are amazed at the effect of your attack at such little cost. You conclude that your powers must have increased greatly since last you used your Staff in combat.</p>
2612        <illustration class="inline">
2613         <meta>
2614          <creator>Paul Bonner</creator>
2615         </meta>
2616         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2617         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2618         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2619        </illustration>
2620        <p>A second Shadakine warrior confronts you, his crossbow levelled at your chest. Suddenly, before you are able to attack, Urik produces a weapon of his own. It is a small boomerang, its edges lined with a row of razor-sharp teeth. With great skill and accuracy he hurls the boomerang at the Shadakine, inflicting a fatal neck wound. Urik runs forward and retrieves his weapon from the Shadakine<ch.apos/>s neck.</p>
2621        <p>An enemy swordsman bursts out of his hiding place among the foliage and charges towards you, his scimitar whirling above his head.</p>
2622        <combat><enemy>Shadakine Warrior</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
2623        <choice idref="sect30">If you wish to evade combat altogether, <link-text>turn to 30</link-text>.</choice>
2624        <choice idref="sect88">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
2625       </data>
2626      </section>
2627
2628      <section class="numbered" id="sect164">
2629       <meta><title>164</title></meta>
2630
2631       <data>
2632        <p>You remove the long sturdy Rope from your Backpack and tie it around your waist. <quote>If I should fall, haul me up,</quote> you say. Samu nods. <quote>We<ch.apos/>ll do the same for you on the other side.</quote></p>
2633        <p>With your heart in your mouth, you run across the bridge; you feel a slight tremor through the stone. <quote>It doesn<ch.apos/>t look too good!</quote> you shout across to Samu. He ties his end of the Rope around his waist and, gingerly, begins his crossing. He has reached the middle of the bridge when it starts to crumble. Large slabs of stone fall away and Samu is forced to run. But he is too late<ch.emdash/>the bridge collapses at the centre and Samu disappears. Although Hugi and Urik have a tight hold of the Rope, Samu<ch.apos/>s great bulk, plus the downward pull of his fall, snatches it from their hands. You are dragged forward: the Rope is still tied around your waist!</p>
2634        <choice idref="sect191">If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> total is 12 or higher, <link-text>turn to 191</link-text>.</choice>
2635        <choice idref="sect277">If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> total is 11 or lower, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
2636       </data>
2637      </section>
2638
2639      <section class="numbered" id="sect165">
2640       <meta><title>165</title></meta>
2641
2642       <data>
2643        <p>At the cost of 4 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> points, you return to the trance state that has guided you through the swamp. The air is teeming with life: the song of strange birds; the scurrying of furred rodents disturbed by your passing; and the steady hum of insects. Yet, all your attention is focused on the dim and distant future as you steer an eccentric course between the stagnant pools and ponds that are alive with creatures of every imagining.</p>
2644        <p>The humid atmosphere makes every step a labour and you make slow progress. When sunset finally comes, you are still in the swampland, and fatigue forces you to rest for the night. The sheer exertion of walking causes you to lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Urik sights a stretch of dry land and you head towards it, relieved to cease the strain of maintaining your trance. The air is alive with nocturnal insects and, to your dismay, you notice the distinct, vermilion bodies of winged Blood Nymphs.</p>
2645        <choice idref="sect121">If you have the Magical Power of Alchemy, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
2646        <choice idref="sect28">If you do not possess this Power, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
2647       </data>
2648      </section>
2649
2650      <section class="numbered" id="sect166">
2651       <meta><title>166</title></meta>
2652
2653       <data>
2654        <p>You throw open the nearest door and enter the building which, after a quick search, proves to be empty. As you start to leave, Urik shouts a warning, but it is too late. Just as you walk through the door a Dead City wretch coshes you with a wooden club. You do not have time to react and the blow knocks you unconscious. You lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
2655        <p>When you regain consciousness you are lying in the dark with your Wizard<ch.apos/>s Staff by your side.</p>
2656        <choice idref="sect307">If you wish to make a light from your Staff at the cost of 1 <typ class="attribute">WILLPOWER</typ> point, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
2657        <choice idref="sect150">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 150</link-text>.</choice>
2658       </data>
2659      </section>
2660
2661      <section class="numbered" id="sect167">
2662       <meta><title>167</title></meta>
2663
2664       <data>
2665        <p>A powerful wind blows through your hair as the Shadakine fall upon you, cutting you to pieces with their curved scimitars.</p>
2666        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
2667       </data>
2668      </section>
2669
2670      <section class="numbered" id="sect168&qu