Freeway Warrior (fw) 1 epub build. Font fixes. OFL Carlito font. CSS update for fw...
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 10tdot.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14 <meta>
15  <title>The Dungeons of Torgar</title>
16  <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
17  <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Williams, Brian">Brian Williams</creator>
18  <creator class="short">Joe Dever and Brian Williams</creator>
19  <creator class="medium">
20   <line>Joe Dever</line>
21   <line>Illustrated by Brian Williams</line>
22  </creator>
23  <creator class="long">
24    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.lw;
25    &inclusion.brian.williams.bio.lw;
26  </creator>
27  <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
28   <date class="publication"><year>2012</year><month>10</month><day>28</day></date>
29  <description class="blurb">
30   <p>You are Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>the last Kai Master of Sommerlund. Your search for the mystical Lorestones of your ancestors leads to the grim city-fortress of Torgar, a stronghold of the Darklords.</p>
31   <p>In <strong><cite>The Dungeons of Torgar</cite></strong>, your mission is to recapture the last remaining Lorestones from the clutches of your enemy<ch.emdash/>the evil Darklord Gnaag. But be warned! Every turn of the page presents a new and deadly challenge as you battle through the depths of a fantastic and terrifying fortress in search of your destiny<ch.ellips/>or your doom!</p>
32  </description>
33  <description class="publication">
34   <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="&link.project.website;">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
35  </description>
36  <rights class="copyrights">
37   <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1987 Joe Dever.</line>
38   <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1987 Brian Williams.</line>
39  </rights>
40  <rights class="license-notification">
41   <p>
42    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1987 Joe Dever.</line>
43    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1987 Brian Williams.</line>
44    <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
45   </p>
46  </rights>
47 </meta>
48
49 <section id="toc">
50  <meta />
51  <data />
52 </section>
53
54 <section id="title">
55  <meta>
56   <title>Title Page</title>
57   <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
58  </meta>
59
60  <data>
61
62   <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
63    <meta>
64     <title>Dedication</title>
65     <link class="prev" idref="title" />
66     <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
67    </meta>
68
69    <data>
70
71     <p class="dedication">To Glen and Mads</p>
72
73    </data>
74   </section>
75
76   <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
77    <meta>
78     <title>Acknowledgements</title>
79     <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
80     <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
81    </meta>
82
83    <data>
84
85     &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
86
87     <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
88      <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
89
90      <data>
91       <dl>
92        <dt>Transcription</dt>
93         <dd>Kevin Garrett</dd>
94        <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
95         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
96        <dt>XML</dt>
97         <dd>
98          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
99          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
100         </dd>
101        <dt>Alternate Illustrations</dt>
102         <dd>
103          <line>JC Alvarez (Action Charts)</line>
104          <line>Jonathan Blake (Extramatter Charts and Tables)</line>
105         </dd>
106        <dt>Proofreading</dt>
107         <dd>
108          <line>Simon Osborne (Frontmatter)</line>
109          <line>Matthew Reynolds (Sections 1<ch.endash/>350)</line>
110         </dd>
111        <dt>Editing</dt>
112         <dd>
113          <line>Jeff Dougan</line>
114          <line>Alex Hambly</line>
115          <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
116          <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
117          <line>Simon Osborne</line>
118          <line>Timothy Pederick</line>
119          <line>Lawrence Ritchie</line>
120          <line>Thomas Wolmer</line>
121         </dd>
122        <dt>PDF Layout</dt>
123         <dd>
124          <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
125          <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
126         </dd>
127        <dt>Coordination</dt>
128         <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
129        <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
130         <dd>David Davis, Benjamin Krefetz, Dewi Morgan, Rei Nakazawa, Peter Smyth, Brian Thompson, Denis Vald</dd>
131       </dl>
132      </data>
133     </section>
134
135    </data>
136   </section>
137
138
139   <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
140    <meta>
141     <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
142     <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
143     <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
144    </meta>
145
146    <data>
147     <p>You are the warrior, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai masters of Sommerlund and sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed your kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies<ch.emdash/>the Darklords of Helgedad.</p>
148     <p>Many centuries have passed since Sun Eagle, the first of your kind, established the Order of the Kai. Aided by the magicians of Dessi, he completed a perilous quest to find seven crystals of power known as the Lorestones of Nyxator, and upon their discovery he unlocked a wisdom and strength that lay within both the Lorestones and himself. He recorded the nature of his discoveries and his experiences in a great tome entitled <cite>The Book of the Magnakai</cite>. You have discovered this lost Kai treasure and have given a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory, thereby ensuring the security of your land in the years to come. However, your diligent study of this ancient book has enabled you to master only three of the ten Magnakai Disciplines. To fulfil your pledge, you must complete the quest first undertaken by Sun Eagle over a thousand years ago. By doing so successfully, you, too, will acquire the power and wisdom of the Magnakai, which is held within the Lorestones<ch.apos/> crystal forms.</p>
149     <p>Already your quest has taken you far from your northern homeland. Following in the footsteps of the first Kai Grand Master, you journeyed to Dessi and sought the help of the Elder Magi, the magicians who aided Sun Eagle on his quest long ago. There you learned that for centuries the Elder Magi had awaited your coming. An ancient Dessi legend tells of the birth and rise to greatness of two <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">koura-tas-kai</foreign>, which means <quote>sons of the sun</quote>. One was named <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">Ikar</foreign>, which means <quote>eagle</quote>, and the other was named <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">Skarn</foreign>, which means <quote>wolf</quote>. A prophecy foretold that the <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">koura-tas-kai</foreign> would each come from the north to seek the counsel of the Elder Magi in order that they might fulfil a great quest. Although separated by several centuries, they would share one spirit, one purpose, and one destiny<ch.emdash/>to triumph over the champions of darkness in an age of great peril. The Elder Magi knew that you were <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">Skarn</foreign><ch.emdash/>the wolf of Dessi legend<ch.emdash/>and in keeping with their ancient vows they promised to help you complete the Magnakai quest.</p>
150     <p>In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from the Kai masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai Monastery twelve years ago. You were eager to learn all that your tutor, Lord Rimoah, could teach you in preparation for the next stage of your quest, but grim news from the Darklands cut short your tuition. In the Darklord city of Helgedad a civil war had erupted, following your defeat of Haakon, Archlord of the Black City. After five years, the battle for the throne of Helgedad had finally been won by a Darklord called Gnaag. The other Darklords, now united behind this new leader, were ordered to amass huge armies in preparation for the conquest of Magnamund. Swiftly their Giak legions grew in number, enabling Gnaag to launch a sweeping invasion that was to catch the freelands unprepared. Several countries, after brief but futile resistance, were completely overrun by Darkland armies; others surrendered without fighting in the face of their determined might. And sadly there were others who chose to betray former friends and allies by joining the Darklord cause, in the misguided hope that they would share in the spoils of victory, following the triumph of Darklord Gnaag. One such land was Vassagonia, a powerful desert realm to the north of Dessi. Her armies mobilized and invaded the neighbouring states of Casiorn and Cloeasia, and then marched west through the republic of Anari in order to join with Gnaag<ch.apos/>s horde as it steamrollered across central Magnamund. The Elder Magi urged you to begin the quest for the fourth Lorestone at once. The enemy armies were converging on the Anarian capital of Tahou, and beneath that ancient city the Lorestone lay hidden.</p>
151     <p>Aided by Magemaster Banedon, an old friend and fellow countryman, you set off in haste for Tahou and arrived barely hours ahead of the enemy. Successfully you made your descent and discovered the object of your quest, but on returning to the surface you found Tahou transformed into a blazing inferno. Darklord Gnaag and Zakhan Kimah, the ruler of Vassagonia, had learnt of your presence and were determined to destroy you at all costs. For days their engines of war had hurled fire and rock across the walls of Tahou with devastating effect. Then a massive assault, led by the Zakhan himself, breached the west gate and gained entry to the burning city. Armed with a weapon of awesome power, the evil Zakhan sought you out and challenged you to a fight to the death. The struggle was desperate but you emerged victorious and led the Anarians in a counterattack that cleared the city of the invading foe. The allies of Anari arrived to raise the siege and in the ensuing battle the demoralized armies of Gnaag and Kimah were smashed and routed.</p>
152     <p>Your defeat of Zakhan Kimah turned the tide of war decisively against the Darkland armies and paved the way for the liberation of the lands they had taken by force. But the sweet taste of victory turned sour when you discovered that Darklord Gnaag had captured the last three remaining Lorestones of Nyxator. Lord Rimoah and other members of the High Council of the Elder Magi joined you in Tahou to help formulate a plan of action. They had already received word from Prince Graygor, the ruler of Eru, that one of his patrols had found a man near the borders of the Hellswamp. He was a Talestrian soldier who had escaped from the dread city-fortress of Torgar where he had been imprisoned after being captured in battle. He had suffered terribly at the hands of the Drakkarim<ch.emdash/>evil humans in the service of the Darklords<ch.emdash/>and when found he was so badly injured that he was almost unrecognizable. Before he died he spoke of three radiant gems filled with golden light that had been brought to Torgar from the Darklord city of Mozg<ch.ocirc/>ar.</p>
153     <p><quote>We are now sure that what he saw was the arrival of the stolen Lorestones,</quote> said Rimoah, speaking on behalf of the High Council. <quote>They radiate a goodness so strong that Gnaag could not hold them in the Darklands but had to move them to Torgar. There his sorcerers<ch.emdash/>the Nadziranim<ch.emdash/>are searching for the means to destroy them. The black art of the Nadziranim has grown powerful of late and we fear they may achieve the task set them by Gnaag. Therefore we must act quickly and with utmost secrecy if the Lorestones and the Magnakai quest are to be saved.</quote></p>
154     <p>The Elder Magi had already made preparations for your secret journey to Eru where, upon your arrival, Prince Graygor will help you reach the grim city of Torgar. The thought of having to enter the terrible Drakkarim stronghold fills you with dread, but your pledge to destroy the Darklords and restore the Kai strengthens your resolve and helps you suppress your fear.</p>
155     <p>On the eve of your journey to Eru, the Elder Magi convene a special meeting of the High Council to pray for the success of your mission. For several hours they kneel in prayer until finally they arise and intone the blessing that has sustained you in the past: <quote>May the Gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness, <foreign xml:lang="x-dessi">Kor-Skarn</foreign>.</quote></p>
156    </data>
157   </section>
158
159
160   <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
161    <meta>
162     <title>The Game Rules</title>
163     <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
164     <link class="next" idref="discplnz" />
165    </meta>
166
167    <data>
168     <p>You keep a record of your adventure on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
169     <p>During your training as a Kai Master you have developed fighting prowess<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and physical stamina<ch.emdash/><typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Before you set off on your adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick 0 it counts as zero.</p>
170     <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 10 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 4 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 14). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.</p>
171     <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 6 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 26 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
172     <p>If you are wounded in combat you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can never rise above the number you started with.</p>
173     <p><strong>If you have successfully completed any of the previous adventures in the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> series</strong>, you can carry your current scores of <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points over to Book 10. You may also carry over any Weapons and Special Items you have in your possession at the end of your last adventure, and these should be entered on your new <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. (You are still limited to two Weapons and eight Backpack Items.)</p>
174     <p>You many choose one bonus <a idref="discplnz">Magnakai Discipline</a> to add to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> for every <cite>Lone Wolf Magnakai</cite> adventure you successfully complete (Books 6<ch.endash/>12).</p>
175
176     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="discplnz">
177      <meta>
178       <title>Magnakai Disciplines</title>
179       <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
180       <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
181      </meta>
182
183      <data>
184       <p>During your training as a Kai Lord, and in the course of the adventures that led to the discovery of <cite>The Book of the Magnakai</cite>, you have mastered all ten of the basic warrior skills known as the Kai Disciplines.</p>
185       <p>After studying <cite>The Book of the Magnakai</cite>, you have also reached the rank of Kai Master Superior, which means that you have learnt <em>three</em> of the Magnakai Disciplines listed below. It is up to you to choose which three skills these are. As all of the Magnakai Disciplines may be of use to you at some point on your adventure, pick your three with care. The correct use of a Magnakai Discipline at the right time can save your life.</p>
186       <p>The Magnakai skills are divided into groups, each of which is governed by a separate school of training. These groups are called <quote>Lore-circles</quote>. By mastering all of the Magnakai Disciplines in a particular Lore-circle, you can gain an increase in your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score. (See the section <quote><a idref="lorecrcl">Lore-circles of the Magnakai</a></quote> for details of these bonuses.)</p>
187       <p>When you have chosen your three Magnakai Disciplines, enter them in the Magnakai Disciplines section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
188
189       <section class="frontmatter" id="wpnmstry">
190        <meta><title>Weaponmastery</title></meta>
191        <data>
192         <p>This Magnakai Discipline enables a Kai Master to become proficient in the use of all types of weapon. When you enter combat with a weapon you have mastered, you add 3 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery with Bow, you may add 3 to any number that you choose from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, when using the Bow. The rank of Kai Master Superior, with which you begin the Magnakai series, means you are skilled in <em>three</em> of the weapons in the list below.</p>
193         <illustration class="inline">
194          <meta>
195           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
196          </meta>
197          <instance class="html" src="weapons.png" width="386" height="310"  mime-type="image/png"/>
198          <instance class="html-compatible" src="weapons.gif" width="386" height="310"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
199          <instance class="pdf" src="weapons.pdf" width="386" height="310" />
200          <instance class="text" src="none" width="none" height="none" >
201           <ul class="unbulleted">
202            <li>Spear</li>
203            <li>Dagger</li>
204            <li>Mace</li>
205            <li>Short Sword</li>
206            <li>Warhammer</li>
207            <li>Bow</li>
208            <li>Quarterstaff</li>
209            <li>Broadsword</li>
210            <li>Axe</li>
211            <li>Sword</li>
212           </ul>
213          </instance>
214         </illustration>
215         <p>The fact that you are skilled with three Weapons does not mean that you begin the adventure carrying any of them. However, you will have opportunities to acquire Weapons during your adventure. For every <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> book that you complete in the Magnakai series, you may add an additional Weapon to your <a idref="action">Weaponmastery Checklist</a>.</p>
216         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Weaponmastery: <ch.plus/>3 <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, and tick your chosen weapons on the <a idref="action">Weapons List</a>. You cannot carry more than two Weapons.</p>
217        </data>
218       </section>
219
220       <section class="frontmatter" id="anmlctrl">
221        <meta><title>Animal Control</title></meta>
222        <data>
223         <p>This Magnakai Discipline enables a Kai Master to communicate with most animals and to determine their purpose and intentions. It also enables a Kai Master to fight from the saddle with great advantage.</p>
224         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Animal Control</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
225        </data>
226       </section>
227
228       <section class="frontmatter" id="curing">
229        <meta><title>Curing</title></meta>
230        <data>
231         <p>The possessor of this skill can restore 1 lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point to his total for every numbered section of the book through which he passes, provided he is not involved in combat. (This can only be done after his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> has fallen below its original level.) This Magnakai Discipline also enables a Kai Master to cure disease, blindness, and any combat wounds sustained by others, as well as himself. Using the knowledge that mastery of this skill provides will also allow a Kai Master to identify the properties of any herbs, roots, and potions that may be encountered during the adventure.</p>
232         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Curing: <ch.plus/>1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point for each section without combat</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
233        </data>
234       </section>
235
236       <section class="frontmatter" id="invsblty">
237        <meta><title>Invisibility</title></meta>
238        <data>
239         <p>This Magnakai skill allows a Kai Master to blend in with his surroundings, even in the most exposed terrain. It will enable him to mask his body heat and scent, and to adopt the dialect and mannerisms of any town or city that he visits.</p>
240         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Invisibility</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
241        </data>
242       </section>
243
244       <section class="frontmatter" id="hntmstry">
245        <meta><title>Huntmastery</title></meta>
246        <data>
247         <p>This skill ensures that a Kai Master will never starve in the wild; he will always be able to hunt for food, even in areas of wasteland and desert. It also enables a Kai Master to move with great speed and dexterity and will allow him to ignore any extra loss of <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points due to a surprise attack or ambush.</p>
248          <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Huntmastery</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
249        </data>
250       </section>
251
252       <section class="frontmatter" id="pthmnshp">
253        <meta><title>Pathsmanship</title></meta>
254        <data>
255         <p>In addition to the basic skill of being able to recognize the correct path in unknown territory, the Magnakai skill of Pathsmanship will enable a Kai Master to read foreign languages, decipher symbols, read footprints and tracks (even if they have been disturbed), and detect the presence of most traps. It also grants him the gift of always knowing intuitively the position of north.</p>
256         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Pathsmanship</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
257        </data>
258       </section>
259
260       <section class="frontmatter" id="psisurge">
261        <meta><title>Psi-surge</title></meta>
262        <data>
263         <p>This psychic skill enables a Kai Master to attack an enemy using the force of his mind. It can be used as well as normal combat weapons and adds 4 extra points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
264         <p>It is a powerful Discipline, but it is also a costly one. For every round of combat in which you use Psi-surge, you must deduct 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. A weaker form of Psi-surge called <cite>Mindblast</cite> can be used against an enemy without losing any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points, but it will add only 2 extra points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. (Psi-surge and Mindblast cannot be used simultaneously.) Psi-surge cannot be used if your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> falls to 6 points or below, and not all of the creatures encountered on your adventure will be affected by it; you will be told if a creature is immune.</p>
265         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Psi-surge: <ch.plus/>4 <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points but <ch.minus/>2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points per round</quote> and <quote>Mindblast: <ch.plus/>2 <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> points</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
266        </data>
267       </section>
268
269       <section class="frontmatter" id="psiscrn">
270        <meta><title>Psi-screen</title></meta>
271        <data>
272         <p>Many of the hostile creatures that inhabit Magnamund have the ability to attack you using their Mindforce. The Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen prevents you from losing any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when subjected to this form of attack and greatly increases your defence against supernatural illusions and hypnosis.</p>
273         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Psi-screen: no points lost when attacked by Mindforce</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
274        </data>
275       </section>
276
277       <section class="frontmatter" id="nexus">
278        <meta><title>Nexus</title></meta>
279        <data>
280         <p>Mastery of this Magnakai skill will enable you to withstand extremes of heat and cold without losing <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and to move items by your powers of concentration alone.</p>
281         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Nexus</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
282        </data>
283       </section>
284
285       <section class="frontmatter" id="dvnation">
286        <meta><title>Divination</title></meta>
287        <data>
288         <p>This skill may warn a Kai Master of imminent or unseen danger or enable him to detect an invisible or hidden enemy. It may also reveal the true purpose or intent of a stranger or strange object encountered in your adventure. Divination may enable you to communicate telepathically with another person and to sense if a creature possesses psychic abilities.</p>
289         <p>If you choose this skill, write <quote>Divination</quote> on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
290        </data>
291       </section>
292
293       <p><strong>If you successfully complete the mission as set in Book 10 of the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> series</strong>, you may add a further Magnakai Discipline of your choice to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> in Book 11. This additional skill, together with your other Magnakai skills and any Special Items that you have found and been able to keep during your adventures may then be used in the next adventure in the <cite>Lone Wolf Magnakai</cite> series, which is called <bookref series="lw" book="11tpot"><cite>The Prisoners of Time</cite></bookref>.</p>
294
295      </data>
296     </section>
297
298     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
299      <meta>
300       <title>Equipment</title>
301       <link class="prev" idref="discplnz" />
302       <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz" />
303      </meta>
304
305      <footnotes>
306        <footnote id="equipmnt-1-foot" idref="equipmnt-1">
307         <p>The Lantern is designed to be self-lighting. You will not need a Tinderbox or any other means of creating a flame to light it.</p>
308        </footnote>
309      </footnotes>
310
311      <data>
312       <p>Before you leave Anari and journey across Magnamund to the principality of Eru, the Senate of Tahou give you a <a idref="map">map of Ghatan and its surrounding territories</a>, and a pouch of gold. To find out how much gold is in the pouch, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. Add 10 to the number you have picked. The total equals the number of Gold Crowns inside the pouch, and you should now enter this number in the <quote>Gold Crowns</quote> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. If you have successfully completed books 1<ch.endash/>9 of the <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures, you may add this sum to the total sum of Crowns you already possess. You can carry a maximum of only fifty Crowns, but additional Crowns can be left in safekeeping at your Kai Monastery.</p>
313       <p>The Senate of Tahou, in gratitude for your help in saving their city from destruction, offer you a choice of equipment to aid you on your perilous mission. You can take five items from the list below, again adding to these, if necessary, any you may already possess. However, remember that you can carry a maximum of two Weapons and eight Backpack Items.</p>
314       <ul class="paragraphed">
315        <li><p>Sword (Weapons)</p>
316         <illustration class="inline">
317          <meta>
318           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
319          </meta>
320          <instance class="html" src="sword.png" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/png"/>
321          <instance class="html-compatible" src="sword.gif" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
322          <instance class="pdf" src="sword.pdf" width="386" height="69"/>
323         </illustration>
324        </li>
325        <li><p>Bow (Weapons)</p>
326         <illustration class="inline">
327          <meta>
328           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
329          </meta>
330          <instance class="html" src="bow.png" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/png"/>
331          <instance class="html-compatible" src="bow.gif" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
332          <instance class="pdf" src="bow.pdf" width="386" height="64"/>
333         </illustration>
334        </li>
335        <li>
336         <p>Quiver (Special Items) This contains six Arrows. Tick them off as they are used.</p>
337         <illustration class="inline">
338          <meta>
339           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
340          </meta>
341          <instance class="html" src="quiver.png" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/png"/>
342          <instance class="html-compatible" src="quiver.gif" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
343          <instance class="pdf" src="quiver.pdf" width="386" height="127" />
344         </illustration>
345        </li>
346        <li>
347         <p>Rope (Backpack Items)</p>
348         <illustration class="inline">
349          <meta>
350           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
351          </meta>
352          <instance class="html" src="rope.png" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/png"/>
353          <instance class="html-compatible" src="rope.gif" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
354          <instance class="pdf" src="rope.pdf" width="386" height="109" />
355         </illustration>
356        </li>
357        <li>
358         <p>Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Items) This potion restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for only one dose.</p>
359         <illustration class="inline">
360          <meta>
361           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
362          </meta>
363           <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/png"/>
364           <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
365           <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" width="386" height="167" />
366         </illustration>
367        </li>
368        <li>
369         <p>Lantern (Backpack Items)<footref id="equipmnt-1" idref="equipmnt-1-foot"/></p>
370         <illustration class="inline">
371          <meta>
372           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
373          </meta>
374          <instance class="html" src="lantern.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
375          <instance class="html-compatible" src="lantern.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
376          <instance class="pdf" src="lantern.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
377         </illustration>
378        </li>
379        <li>
380         <p>Mace (Weapons)</p>
381         <illustration class="inline">
382          <meta>
383           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
384          </meta>
385          <instance class="html" src="mace.png" width="386" height="137"  mime-type="image/png"/>
386          <instance class="html-compatible" src="mace.gif" width="386" height="137"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
387          <instance class="pdf" src="mace.pdf" width="386" height="137" />
388         </illustration>
389        </li>
390        <li>
391         <p>3 Meals (Meals) Each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack.</p>
392         <illustration class="inline">
393          <meta>
394           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
395          </meta>
396           <instance class="html" src="food.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
397           <instance class="html-compatible" src="food.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
398           <instance class="pdf" src="food.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
399         </illustration>
400        </li>
401        <li>
402         <p>Dagger (Weapons)</p>
403         <illustration class="inline">
404          <meta>
405           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
406          </meta>
407          <instance class="html" src="dagger.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
408          <instance class="html-compatible" src="dagger.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
409          <instance class="pdf" src="dagger.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
410         </illustration>
411        </li>
412        <li>
413         <p>Potion of Alether (Backpack Items) This potion of strength will increase your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by <ch.plus/>2 points when swallowed immediately prior to a combat. It lasts for the duration of one combat only. There is enough for one dose.</p>
414         <illustration class="inline">
415          <meta>
416           <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
417          </meta>
418           <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/png"/>
419           <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
420           <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" width="386" height="167" />
421         </illustration>
422        </li>
423       </ul>
424
425       <p>List the five items that you choose on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, under the heading given in brackets, and make a note of any effect they may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points or <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
426
427       <section class="frontmatter" id="howcarry">
428        <meta><title>How to Carry Equipment</title></meta>
429
430        <data>
431         <p>Now that you have your equipment, the following list shows you how it is carried. You do not need to make notes, but you should refer back to this list in the course of your adventure.</p>
432
433         <ul>
434          <li>Sword<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
435          <li>Bow<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
436          <li>Quiver<ch.emdash/>slung over your shoulder.</li>
437          <li>Rope<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
438          <li>Potion of Laumspur<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
439          <li>Lantern<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
440          <li>Mace<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
441          <li>Meals<ch.emdash/>carried in the Backpack.</li>
442          <li>Dagger<ch.emdash/>carried in the hand.</li>
443         </ul>
444        </data>
445       </section>
446
447       <section class="frontmatter" id="howmuch">
448        <meta><title>How Much Can You Carry?</title></meta>
449
450        <data>
451         <dl>
452          <dt>Weapons</dt>
453           <dd>The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is <em>two</em>.</dd>
454          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
455           <dd>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may keep a maximum of only eight articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.</dd>
456          <dt>Special Items</dt>
457           <dd>
458            <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.</p>
459            <p>The maximum number of Special Items that can be carried on any adventure is twelve. Surplus Special Items may be left for safekeeping at your Kai Monastery.</p>
460           </dd>
461          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
462           <dd>These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty Crowns.</dd>
463          <dt>Food</dt>
464           <dd>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.</dd>
465         </dl>
466         <p>Any item that may be of use and can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> is given initial capitals (e.g. Gold Dagger, Magic Pendant) in the text. Unless you are told it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.</p>
467        </data>
468       </section>
469
470       <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
471        <meta><title>How to Use Your Equipment</title></meta>
472
473        <data>
474         <dl class="paragraphed">
475          <dt>Weapons</dt>
476           <dd><p>Weapons aid you in combat. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery and a correct weapon, it adds 3 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you enter a combat with no weapons, deduct 4 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight with your bare hands. If you find a weapon during the adventure, you may pick it up and use it. (Remember that you can only carry two Weapons at once.) You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</p></dd>
477          <dt>Bow and Arrows</dt>
478           <dd>
479            <p>During your adventure there will be opportunities to use a Bow and Arrow. If you equip yourself with this weapon, and you possess at least one Arrow, you may use it when the text of a particular section allows you to do so. The bow is a useful weapon, for it enables you to hit an enemy at a distance. However, a Bow cannot be used in hand-to-hand combat; therefore it is strongly recommended that you also equip yourself with a close combat weapon, like a Sword or Mace.</p>
480            <p>In order to use a Bow you must possess a Quiver and at least one Arrow. Each time the Bow is used, erase an Arrow from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. A Bow cannot, of course, be used if you exhaust your supply of Arrows, but the opportunity may arise during your adventure for you to replenish your stock of Arrows.</p>
481            <p>If you enter combat armed only with a Bow, you must deduct 4 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and fight with your bare hands.</p>
482           </dd>
483          <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
484           <dd><p>During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may wish to keep. (Remember you can only carry a maximum of eight items in your Backpack at any time.) You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</p></dd>
485          <dt>Special Items</dt>
486           <dd>
487            <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it. If you have successfully completed previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> books, you may already possess Special Items.</p>
488            <p>The maximum number of Special Items that a Kai Master can carry during an adventure is twelve. Surplus Special Items may be left in safekeeping at your Kai Monastery.</p>
489           </dd>
490          <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
491           <dd><p>The currency of Eru is the Lune, but Gold Crowns are readily accepted at an exchange rate of four Lune for every one Gold Crown.</p></dd>
492          <dt>Food</dt>
493           <dd><p>You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If you have chosen the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery as one of your skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p></dd>
494          <dt>Potion of Laumspur</dt>
495           <dd><p>This is a healing potion that can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. It cannot be used to increase <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points immediately prior to a combat. There is enough for one dose only. If you discover any other potion during the adventure, you will be informed of its effect. All potions are Backpack Items.</p></dd>
496         </dl>
497        </data>
498       </section>
499
500      </data>
501     </section>
502
503     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
504      <meta>
505       <title>Rules for Combat</title>
506       <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
507       <link class="next" idref="levels" />
508      </meta>
509
510      <data>
511       <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s aim in the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible himself.</p>
512       <p>At the start of a combat, enter Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
513       <p>The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
514       <ol class="paragraphed">
515        <li><p>Add any extra points gained through your Magnakai Disciplines and Special Items to your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
516        <li>
517         <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
518         <p>Example</p>
519         <p>Lone Wolf (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 15) is attacked by a Nightstalker (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 22). He is not given the opportunity to evade combat but must stand and fight as the creature leaps on him. Lone Wolf has the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-surge to which the Nightstalker is not immune, so Lone Wolf adds 4 points to his <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>, giving a total <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 19.</p>
520         <p>He subtracts the Nightstalker<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from his own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.minus/>3. (19 <ch.minus/> 22 = <ch.minus/>3). <ch.minus/>3 is noted on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
521        </li>
522        <li><p><a id="stage3">When you have your Combat Ratio</a>, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
523        <li>
524         <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked (the random numbers appear on the side of the chart). You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both Lone Wolf and his enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; LW represents points lost by Lone Wolf.)</p>
525         <p>Example</p>
526         <p>The Combat Ratio between Lone Wolf and the Nightstalker has been established as <ch.minus/>3. If the number taken from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is a 6, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
527         <ul>
528          <li>Lone Wolf loses 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (plus an additional 2 points for using Psi-surge)</li>
529          <li>Nightstalker loses 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points</li>
530         </ul>
531        </li>
532        <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat.</p></li>
533        <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
534        <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
535       </ol>
536       <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either the enemy or Lone Wolf are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If Lone Wolf is dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, Lone Wolf proceeds but with his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
537       <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
538
539       <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
540        <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
541
542        <data>
543         <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only Lone Wolf may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round, but then that is the risk of running away! You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
544        </data>
545       </section>
546
547      </data>
548     </section>
549
550     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="levels">
551      <meta>
552       <title>Levels of Magnakai Training</title>
553       <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
554       <link class="next" idref="lorecrcl" />
555      </meta>
556
557      <data>
558       <p>The following table is a guide to the ranks and titles that are achieved by Kai Masters at each stage of their training. As you successfully complete each adventure in the <cite>Lone Wolf Magnakai</cite> series, you will gain an additional Magnakai Discipline and progress towards the ultimate distinction of a Kai Warrior<ch.emdash/>Kai Grand Mastership.</p>
559       <ol>
560        <li>Kai Master</li>
561        <li>Kai Master Senior</li>
562        <li>Kai Master Superior<ch.emdash/><em>You begin the <cite>Lone Wolf Magnakai</cite> adventures with this level of training</em>.</li>
563        <li>Primate</li>
564        <li>Tutelary</li>
565        <li>Principalin</li>
566        <li>Mentora</li>
567        <li>Scion-kai</li>
568        <li>Archmaster</li>
569        <li>Kai Grand Master</li>
570       </ol>
571      </data>
572     </section>
573
574     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="lorecrcl">
575      <meta>
576       <title>Lore-circles of the Magnakai</title>
577       <link class="prev" idref="levels" />
578       <link class="next" idref="imprvdsc" />
579      </meta>
580
581      <data>
582       <p>In the years before their massacre, the Kai Masters of Sommerlund devoted themselves to the study of the Magnakai. These skills were divided into four schools of training called <quote>Lore-circles</quote>. By mastering all of the Magnakai Disciplines of a Lore-circle, the Kai Masters developed their fighting prowess (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>), and their physical and mental stamina (<typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>) to a level far higher than any mortal warrior could otherwise attain.</p>
583       <p>Listed below are the four Lore-circles of the Magnakai and the skills that must be mastered in order to complete them.</p>
584       <dl>
585       <dt>Circle of Fire</dt>
586        <dd>Weaponmastery <ch.ampersand/> Huntmastery</dd>
587       <dt>Circle of Light</dt>
588        <dd>Animal Control <ch.ampersand/> Curing</dd>
589       <dt>Circle of Solaris</dt>
590        <dd>Invisibility, Huntmastery <ch.ampersand/> Pathsmanship</dd>
591       <dt>Circle of the Spirit</dt>
592        <dd>Psi-surge, Psi-screen, Nexus <ch.ampersand/> Divination</dd>
593       </dl>
594       <p>By completing a Lore-circle, you may add to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> the extra bonus points that are shown below.</p>
595
596       <section class="frontmatter" id="lcbonus">
597        <meta><title>Lore-circle Bonuses</title></meta>
598
599        <data>
600         <dl>
601          <dt>Circle of Fire</dt>
602           <dd><ch.plus/>1 <typ class="attribute">CS</typ> <ch.plus/>2 <typ class="attribute">EP</typ></dd>
603          <dt>Circle of Light</dt>
604           <dd>0 <typ class="attribute">CS</typ> <ch.plus/>3 <typ class="attribute">EP</typ></dd>
605          <dt>Circle of Solaris</dt>
606           <dd><ch.plus/>1 <typ class="attribute">CS</typ> <ch.plus/>3 <typ class="attribute">EP</typ></dd>
607          <dt>Circle of the Spirit</dt>
608           <dd><ch.plus/>3 <typ class="attribute">CS</typ> <ch.plus/>3 <typ class="attribute">EP</typ></dd>
609         </dl>
610         <p>All bonus points that you acquire by completing a Lore-circle are additions to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> scores.</p>
611        </data>
612       </section>
613
614      </data>
615     </section>
616
617     <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="imprvdsc">
618      <meta>
619       <title>Improved Disciplines</title>
620       <link class="prev" idref="lorecrcl" />
621       <link class="next" idref="kaiwisdm" />
622      </meta>
623
624      <data>
625       <p>As you rise through the higher levels of Magnakai training you will find that some of your skills will steadily improve. If you have reached the rank of Primate (four skills), Tutelary (five skills), Principalin (six skills), or Mentora (seven skills), you will now benefit from improvements to the following Magnakai Disciplines:</p>
626
627       <section class="frontmatter" id="primate">
628        <meta><title>Primate</title></meta>
629
630        <data>
631         <dl>
632          <dt>Animal Control</dt>
633           <dd>Primates with this Magnakai Discipline are able to repel an animal that is intent on harming them by blocking its sense of taste and smell. The level of success is dependent on the size and ferocity of the animal.</dd>
634          <dt>Curing</dt>
635           <dd>Primates with this skill have the ability to delay the effects of poisons, including venoms, that they may come into contact with. Although a Kai Primate with this skill is not able to neutralize a poison he is able to slow its effect, giving him more time to find an antidote or cure.</dd>
636          <dt>Huntmastery</dt>
637           <dd>Primates with this skill have a greatly increased agility and are able to climb without the use of climbing aids, such as ropes, etc.</dd>
638          <dt>Psi-surge</dt>
639           <dd>Primates with the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-surge will, by concentrating their psychic powers upon an object, be able to set up vibrations that may lead to the disruption or destruction of the object.</dd>
640          <dt>Nexus</dt>
641           <dd>Primates with the skill of Nexus will be able to offer a far greater resistance than before to the effects of noxious gases and fumes.</dd>
642         </dl>
643        </data>
644       </section>
645
646       <section class="frontmatter" id="tutelary">
647        <meta><title>Tutelary</title></meta>
648
649        <data>
650         <dl>
651          <dt>Weaponmastery</dt>
652           <dd>Tutelaries are able to use defensive combat skills to great effect when fighting unarmed. When entering combat without a weapon, Tutelaries lose only 2 points from their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>, instead of the usual 4 points.</dd>
653          <dt>Invisibility</dt>
654           <dd>Tutelaries are able to increase the effectiveness of their skill when hiding from an enemy by drawing the enemy<ch.apos/>s attention to a place other than that in which they are hiding. The effectiveness of this ability increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
655          <dt>Pathsmanship</dt>
656           <dd>Tutelaries with this skill can detect an enemy ambush within 500 yards of their position unless their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is low due to wounds sustained or lack of food.</dd>
657          <dt>Psi-screen</dt>
658           <dd>Tutelaries with this skill develop mental defences against magical charms and hostile telepathy. These defences increase in strength as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
659          <dt>Divination</dt>
660           <dd>Tutelaries who possess this Magnakai Discipline are able to recognize objects or creatures with magical skills or abilities. However, this improved Discipline can be negated if the creature or object is shielded from detection.</dd>
661         </dl>
662        </data>
663       </section>
664
665       <section class="frontmatter" id="prncpln">
666        <meta><title>Principalin</title></meta>
667
668        <data>
669         <dl>
670          <dt>Animal Control</dt>
671           <dd>Principalins with this skill are able to call on a woodland animal (if nearby) to aid them, either in combat, or to act as a messenger or guide. The number of animals that can be summoned increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
672          <dt>Invisibility</dt>
673           <dd>Principalins are able to mask any sounds made by their movements while using this skill.</dd>
674          <dt>Huntmastery</dt>
675           <dd>Principalins with this Magnakai Discipline are able to intensify their eyesight at will, giving them telescopic vision.</dd>
676          <dt>Psi-surge</dt>
677           <dd>Principalins using this skill in combat are able to confuse an enemy by planting seeds of doubt in its mind. The effectiveness of this ability increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
678          <dt>Nexus</dt>
679           <dd>Principalins with this ability can extinguish fires by force of will alone. The size of the fire, and the number that can be extinguished using Nexus increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
680         </dl>
681        </data>
682       </section>
683
684       <section class="frontmatter" id="mentora">
685        <meta><title>Mentora</title></meta>
686
687        <data>
688         <dl>
689          <dt>Weaponmastery</dt>
690           <dd>Mentoras skilled in Weaponmastery are more accurate when using all missile weapons, whether fired (e.g. a bow) or thrown (e.g. a dagger). When using a bow or thrown weapon and instructed to pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, add 2 to the number picked if you are a Mentora with the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery.</dd>
691          <dt>Curing</dt>
692           <dd>Mentoras with this skill are able to neutralize the effects of any poisons, venoms, or toxins with which they come into contact.</dd>
693          <dt>Pathsmanship</dt>
694           <dd>Mentoras who possess this Magnakai Discipline are able to cross any kind of terrain on foot without leaving any tracks, even if the ground is covered in snow.</dd>
695          <dt>Psi-screen</dt>
696           <dd>Mentoras with this ability can protect themselves from evil spirits and other non-corporeal beings that attack with psychic energy. The effectiveness of this ability increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.</dd>
697          <dt>Divination</dt>
698           <dd>Mentoras who possess this skill are able to detect psychic residues lingering in a place where a dramatic event, such as a battle, a murder, a ritual sacrifice, or a ritual ceremony, has taken place. By meditating at the scene of the incident, a Kai Mentora is able to visualize the event, even though it may have occurred in the distant past.</dd>
699         </dl>
700        </data>
701       </section>
702
703       <p>The nature of any additional improvements and how they affect your Magnakai Disciplines will be noted in the Improved Disciplines section of future Lone Wolf books.</p>
704      </data>
705     </section>
706
707    </data>
708   </section>
709
710   <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiwisdm">
711    <meta>
712     <title>Magnakai Wisdom</title>
713     <link class="prev" idref="imprvdsc" />
714     <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
715    </meta>
716
717    <data>
718     <p>Your quest to retrieve the last three Lorestones of Nyxator from the clutches of the Darklords will be fraught with deadly dangers. The evil host of Helgedad will summon their most brutal forces to thwart your Magnakai quest. Make notes as you progress through this story<ch.emdash/>they will be of great help in this and in future adventures.</p>
719     <p>Many things that you find will help you during your mission. Some Special Items will be of use in this and future Lone Wolf books, while others may be red herrings of no real value at all, so be selective in what you decide to keep.</p>
720     <p>Choose your three Magnakai Disciplines with care, for a wise choice enables any player to complete the quest, no matter how weak their initial <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points scores. Successful completion of previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures, although an advantage, is not essential for the completion of this Magnakai adventure.</p>
721     <p>The restoration of the Kai and the future of your homeland depend on the success of this mission. May the spirit of your ancestors and the wisdom of the great God Kai guide you on the path of the Magnakai.</p>
722     <p>Good luck!</p>
723    </data>
724   </section>
725
726   <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
727    <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
728
729    <data>
730
731     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
732      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
733
734      <data>
735       <p>It is dawn on midsummer<ch.apos/>s day when you ride out of Tahou. Since your victory over Zakhan Kimah, your appearance in a public place has been enough to provoke spontaneous cheering from the Tahouese, who regard you as their saviour. But on this warm, sunny morning you leave the city unnoticed, for on this occasion you appear to be just another messenger.</p>
736       <p>The army uniform you wear and the white horse you ride are part of an elaborate deception conceived by the Elder Magi. In order to make Darklord Gnaag believe that you are returning to Sommerlund, you have given your Kai cloak and tunic to your friend Banedon. Disguised as you, he will leave for Sommerlund aboard his flying ship Skyrider this afternoon. A formal ceremony is planned to mark his departure and another awaits his arrival at the King<ch.apos/>s Citadel in Holmgard. Gnaag has vowed to kill you: it is a vow which has become an obsession that torments him like a poisoned wound. It is hoped that Banedon<ch.apos/>s much publicized flight home will lure Gnaag<ch.apos/>s vengeful eyes away to the north and raise your chances of success at Torgar considerably.</p>
737       <p>Your ride ends in Firina, where you catch a barge down-river to the port of Talon. There you hear news of a rebellion in Barrakeesh, the Vassagonian capital, and reports of the sudden withdrawal of all Vassagonia<ch.apos/>s troops from the lands she invaded early in the war. It bodes well for the continuing struggle against the Darklords, for Vassagonia was their only major ally. You spend one night in Talon before buying passage aboard a merchantman on its way along the Tentarias, and five days later you disembark at Garthen, the capital of Talestria.</p>
738       <p>Talestria was overrun in the early days of the war but the neighbouring country of Palmyrion came quickly to her aid. The armies of Talestria and Palmyrion united and fought the invading horde, led by Warlord Zegron of Ogia, on the battle-plains to the north of Garthen. For three days and three nights a bitter struggle raged and the allies were sorely pressed to withstand the overwhelming numbers of the enemy ranged against them. But on the morning of the fourth day, the unexpected arrival of the dwarven army of Bor was to seal Zegron<ch.apos/>s doom. His mighty force crumbled and the survivors, fleeing northwards in chaos, were pursued relentlessly. The latest news tells of the allies<ch.apos/> capture of Xanar, a major Ogian stronghold, and their continued advance westward along the Blackshroud Trail.</p>
739       <p>The Royal Court of Queen Evaine would be honoured to assist you, but secrecy is paramount to the success of your quest and so you shun the Royal Palace and take lodgings instead at a humble dockside tavern. There you arrange transportation to Eru aboard a brigantine bound for Humbold, the Eruan capital, and leave next day on the noon tide. Upon your arrival, you make your way to the city<ch.apos/>s ancient quarter where the Elder Magi have arranged a clandestine meeting with Prince Graygor. In the cellar of a disused warehouse, the young Prince waits patiently for your coming. Like you, he is dressed in the clothes of a messenger in order that he can walk the streets of his city incognito. He welcomes you with a salute, bringing his hand diagonally across his chest, and assures you that your true identity is known only to him. For over an hour you discuss your plans and listen to the Prince recount some of the events that have disturbed the peace of Eru. Two years ago, Drakkarim renegades from the Hammerlands attacked and overran his northern city of Luomi. The inhabitants were slaughtered and the holy temple of Luomi, around which the city was founded, was looted and burnt to the ground. Only recently did he learn from the Elder Magi that the ancient temple held the Lorestone of Luomi, one of the three Lorestones now locked in Torgar. At the time of the attack the Prince<ch.apos/>s army was too small to repel the invaders and he was forced to abandon the city, as well as the border town of Cetza. But in the past month he has joined forces with King Sarnac of Lencia, and together they have recaptured Luomi and driven Baron Shinzar and his Hammerland rebels all the way back to Cetza, within thirty miles of the border.</p>
740       <p>The Prince invites you to accompany him to Luomi where he is to resume command of his army and lead them to battle. He provides you with a fine Eruan steed and a new disguise that will enable you to travel through Eru without drawing undue attention to yourself.</p>
741       <p>Dressed as an Eruan Pathfinder, one of an <ch.eacute/>lite unit of woodsmen who operate in the harsh territories bordering the Hellswamp, you ride north with the Prince<ch.apos/>s entourage and arrive at the city five days later. Every house, stable, tavern, and municipal building is filled to overflowing with knights and men at arms. But, despite their cramped billets and meagre rations, the soldiers of Eru and Lencia are in good spirits, for tomorrow they march against a foe they have already beaten in battle, and most are eager to finish the job once and for all. You are given lodgings within the main citadel of Luomi and later that evening, after the Prince has attended a war conference with King Sarnac, you meet in private to discuss the next stage of your quest.</p>
742       <p><quote>There are two ways to reach Torgar,</quote> says the Prince, as you study the <a idref="map">map</a> given to you by the Senate of Tahou. <quote>You can cross the River Brol and make your way northwards through the Moggador Forest, or you can go to Pirsi and seek out Sebb Jarel. He is the leader of a brave band of partisans who have ambushed and resisted the Drakkarim ever since they invaded. If there is a path to Torgar between the Hellswamp and the Isle of Ghosts, he will know it.</quote></p>
743       <p>You ponder the choices and wonder why the Prince has not suggested the simplest route of all: north across the Isle of Ghosts. When you mention this he shakes his head ominously. <quote>The isle is cursed,</quote> he says, pointing at the <a idref="map">map</a> with an accusing finger. <quote>Few have ever come out of that dreadful place alive. And of those poor wretches who have survived, only one has kept a grip of his sanity. His name is Sebb Jarel.</quote></p>
744       <p>Next day you rise with the dawn and prepare to set off on your journey to Torgar. There are two routes open to you: you can ride to Pirsi and seek out Sebb Jarel, the partisan leader, and the only man who can guide you through this treacherous wilderness; or you can accompany Prince Graygor to battle at Cetza. If his army beats the Drakkarim and forces them to retreat, the way across the River Brol will be open and you will be able to approach Torgar under cover of the Moggador Forest. Consult the <a idref="map">map</a> before you decide which route to take.</p>
745       <choice idref="sect176">If you wish to go to Pirsi, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
746       <choice idref="sect308">If you choose to accompany Prince Graygor to battle at Cetza, <link-text>turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
747      </data>
748     </section>
749
750     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
751      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
752
753      <data>
754       <p>Using your mastery of Nexus you extinguish the flames that are scorching your arm, and immediately set about helping those Palmyrions who have survived the devastating attack. Less than half are able to stand, but you manage to pull them into a defensive circle in time to fight the Drakkarim who are charging along the street.</p>
755       <combat><enemy>Drakkarim Garrison</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">26</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">39</enemy-attribute></combat>
756       <choice idref="sect332">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
757      </data>
758     </section>
759
760     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
761      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
762
763      <data>
764       <p>Fear returns to tie a knot in your stomach as you detect the scent of live Akataz. Instinctively you flatten yourself to the ground and a twisting grey blur arcs over your head and crashes headlong into the undergrowth. You are unharmed but you sense that the dog is just the first of many that are rushing towards this part of the forest, drawn by the blood of their kin and the scent of your body. Before it can recover from its failed attack, you jump to your feet and sprint away.</p>
765       <choice idref="sect31"><link-text>Turn to 31</link-text>.</choice>
766      </data>
767     </section>
768
769     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
770      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
771
772      <data>
773       <p>An hour before dawn, you leave Cetza and ride across the open grasslands that slope gently towards the River Brol. A full moon and the gathering light of day help you identify the landmarks that Prince Graygor told you to look out for to help guide you to a ford close to the site of an abandoned copper mine. His directions prove accurate and by mid-morning you find yourself on a ridge that overlooks the ford and its cluster of derelict mining huts.</p>
774       <choice idref="sect324">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery and have reached the Kai rank of Principalin or higher, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
775       <choice idref="sect241">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Pathsmanship and have reached the Kai rank of Tutelary or higher, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
776       <choice idref="sect108">If you do not possess either of these skills or have yet to reach these levels of Magnakai training, <link-text>turn to 108</link-text>.</choice>
777      </data>
778     </section>
779
780     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
781      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
782
783      <data>
784       <p>You notice there is a spot where a gantry passes directly over the ball of green flame. If you could crawl to that spot you would be able to cup your hands below the Lorestones. Paido could then destroy the crystal rods, and the Lorestones, freed of the energy beams, would drop into your hands.</p>
785       <p>It is a bold plan but you feel confident that it will succeed.</p>
786       <choice idref="sect40"><link-text>Turn to 40</link-text>.</choice>
787      </data>
788     </section>
789
790     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
791      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
792
793      <data>
794       <p>You share the officer<ch.apos/>s horse as he leads his company back along a route they have already ridden. Steadily the road winds upwards through the hills towards a ridge of yellow rock and, as you reach the crest of the ridge, you catch your first awe-inspiring glimpse of Torgar.</p>
795       <illustration class="float">
796        <meta>
797         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
798         <description>The grim city-fortress of Torgar.</description>
799        </meta>
800         <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="678"  mime-type="image/png"/>
801         <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="386" height="678"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
802         <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="678" />
803       </illustration>
804       <p>The walls of this grim city-fortress stand upon the brink of a ravine cut deep by centuries of rushing water. A natural causeway of stone spans this dark chasm and provides the only means of approaching Torgar from the south. Its position and its defences seem impregnable. It commands the only road into the barren land of Ghatan, and any who dare travel that road must pass over the causeway and through the city<ch.apos/>s great iron gate.</p>
805       <p>In the past there have been few who would venture willingly to Torgar, but now the causeway and its approaches swarm with such men. They are the soldiers of Talestria and Palmyrion, and they have come with their engines of war to lay siege to this grim Drakkarim fortress.</p>
806       <p>The scout officer spurs his horse away from the ridge and you are carried towards a cluster of tents that stand on high ground overlooking the siege-works. As you arrive, a group of knights steps forward to take the horse<ch.apos/>s reins. You dismount with the officer and follow as he enters the largest tent.</p>
807       <choice idref="sect45">If you have ever visited the land of Talestria in a previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventure, <link-text>turn to 45</link-text>.</choice>
808       <choice idref="sect346">If not, <link-text>turn to 346</link-text>.</choice>
809      </data>
810     </section>
811
812     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
813      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
814
815      <data>
816       <p>The captain grunts his approval and returns your salute. Then he catches sight of your signet ring and suddenly his mood becomes much more friendly. He orders the townsfolk to lower their pistols and return to their homes and begrudgingly they obey his command. <quote>Come,</quote> he says, placing his hand on your shoulder. <quote>You must be thirsty after your day<ch.apos/>s ride.</quote></p>
817       <p>He pushes open the tavern door and draws aside a tattered leather curtain. A dozen pairs of eyes look towards you as you enter, stare briefly, and then return to their own business.</p>
818       <p><quote>I see you come to Pirsi with the Prince<ch.apos/>s favour,</quote> says the captain, casting a glance at the ring you wear as you raise the tankard of ale he places before you. <quote>What news do you bring from the Royal Court?</quote></p>
819       <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>m here on a mission, a secret mission of great importance,</quote> you reply, guardedly. <quote>I must speak with Sebb Jarel, for only he can help me accomplish the task. I am at liberty to say no more.</quote></p>
820       <p>The captain looks at you quizzically. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s unlike Prince Graygor to entrust such responsibility to one of your rank, soldier. If you expect me to take you to Jarel you have first to satisfy me that you<ch.apos/>re a Pathfinder. That bandit Baron Shinzar has sent men to find Jarel before<ch.emdash/>on missions of assassination. I want proof you<ch.apos/>re not another one of his agents.</quote></p>
821       <p>He peers over your shoulder towards the tavern bar and signals to the owner by blinking three times. The metallic <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> of a crossbow being cocked and your Kai Sixth Sense alert you to the weapon that is now pointed at your back. <quote>Tell me, soldier, where were you trained as a Pathfinder? Was it in Humbold, in Sharwhan, or in Testla?</quote></p>
822       <choice idref="sect46">If you have completed the Lore-circle of the Spirit, <link-text>turn to 46</link-text>.</choice>
823       <p>If you do not have mastery of this Lore-circle you must hazard a guess at the answer.</p>
824       <choice idref="sect111">If you answer, <quote>Humbold</quote>, <link-text>turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
825       <choice idref="sect287">If you answer, <quote>Sharwhan</quote>, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
826       <choice idref="sect152">If you answer, <quote>Testla</quote>, <link-text>turn to 152</link-text>.</choice>
827      </data>
828     </section>
829
830     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
831      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
832
833      <data>
834       <p>You spur your horse down the slope and gallop along an overgrown track that leads to the ford. The log huts are shrouded in silence, but as you draw level with them, a gruff shout shatters this illusion of peacefulness and a hail of arrows cuts through the air.</p>
835       <p>One of the black shafts buries itself in your horse<ch.apos/>s neck. He shrieks in pain and crashes to his knees, hurling you into the river. You gulp a mouthful of the icy water and struggle to your feet, coughing and cursing, just in time to see your ambushers pour out of the nearest hut and advance towards you. Some are reloading their bows as they run.</p>
836       <choice idref="sect131">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
837       <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to try to escape by wading across the ford, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
838       <choice idref="sect251">If you wish to draw a hand weapon and prepare for combat, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
839      </data>
840     </section>
841
842     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
843      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
844
845      <data>
846       <p>Your shaft arcs towards the Baron, but it reaches him just as he turns to push his troops into line and it glances off his pauldron, a shaped steel shoulder guard bolted to his breastplate. Alerted to your presence, he spins around and glares into your eyes, his red axe glinting as sunlight breaks through the haze of battle-smoke.</p>
847       <choice idref="sect113">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
848       <choice idref="sect126">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
849      </data>
850     </section>
851
852     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
853      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
854
855      <data>
856       <p>An evil smile spreads across Roark<ch.apos/>s face as the Demonlord finally comes to his aid. You strike the creature but your blows merely splinter your weapon. Incensed by your defiance, Tagazin leaps upon you and sinks his fangs deep into your chest. Pain explodes through your body but the agony is soon obliterated by the numbing chill of death.</p>
857       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
858      </data>
859     </section>
860
861     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
862      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
863
864      <footnotes>
865       <footnote id="sect11-1-foot" idref="sect11-1">
866        <p>Taking comments originally published in <cite><a href="http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn6">Lone Wolf Club Newsletter No.6</a></cite> as a precedent, it seems reasonable to assume that you only lose a weapon-like Special Item here if you are not carrying at least one ordinary non-magical Weapon.</p>
867       </footnote>
868      </footnotes>
869
870      <data>
871       <p>Beaten and bloodied, the surviving Krorn back away whimpering as you climb over the bodies of their slain brothers and stalk towards them. Baron Shinzar screams in anger and lifts his axe high. He barges through his misshapen troops and stands before you, glaring like a man possessed. <quote>Meet your doom, Eruan scum!</quote> he sneers, and strikes out at your head. You block the blow but your weapon is destroyed in a flash of sparks (delete this Weapon from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>): the Baron wields a weapon forged by sorcery.<footref id="sect11-1" idref="sect11-1-foot"/> As he lifts it anew, you prepare to dodge its lethal caress.</p>
872       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
873       <choice idref="sect310">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 310</link-text>.</choice>
874       <choice idref="sect229">If it is 4 or more, <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
875      </data>
876     </section>
877
878     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
879      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
880
881      <data>
882       <p>Using your ability to intensify your vision you focus on the advancing horsemen. You see that they are all wearing surcoats of scarlet and grey, embroidered with a crest bearing an open hand. The only horsemen who wear this livery are the cavalry of Talestria.</p>
883       <choice idref="sect61">If you wish to wave down these riders, <link-text>turn to 61</link-text>.</choice>
884       <choice idref="sect322">If you would rather hide from them beneath the bridge, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
885      </data>
886     </section>
887
888     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
889      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
890
891      <data>
892       <p>Drawing on your Kai skills you blend with the shadows and stand absolutely still. The Death Knight warrior appears, filling the archway with his massive frame. He snatches up the spear in his mailed fist, turns, and then hauls himself out of the ditch, grunting and cursing his carelessness as he struggles in his heavy armour.</p>
893       <p>You wait for about twenty minutes before leaving your hiding place and working your way along the ditch.</p>
894       <choice idref="sect124"><link-text>Turn to 124</link-text>.</choice>
895      </data>
896     </section>
897
898     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
899      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
900
901      <data>
902       <p>You focus your Kai skill on Adamas<ch.apos/> hand but you cannot tell which side of the coin is showing. All you can detect is a strong magical aura, indicating that the coin is magically shielded. You have no option but to guess which side is showing.</p>
903       <choice idref="sect330">If you wish to call <quote>heads</quote>, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
904       <choice idref="sect212">If you wish to call <quote>tails</quote>, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
905      </data>
906     </section>
907
908     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
909      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
910
911      <data>
912       <p>You land with a crash among the roots and briars, and roll to lessen the shock of impact. Sharp thorns graze your hands and knees (lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point) but otherwise you survive the jump intact. Quickly you gather up your equipment and press on into the eerie forest.</p>
913       <choice idref="sect50"><link-text>Turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
914      </data>
915     </section>
916
917     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
918      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
919
920      <data>
921       <p>A narrow pathway branches away from the main alley and you rush along it, barging aside a Hammerlander who appears suddenly from a doorway. The screams of your company and the clash of swords echo in the narrow confines of the passage as you make your escape swiftly towards the centre of the town. The passage opens on to a wider street where a barn-like building stands at the corner. Crouching at a window on the upper floor is a Drakkarim archer with an arrow notched ready to fire. He sees you appear and releases his straining bowstring, sending his arrow whistling towards your heart.</p>
922       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
923       <choice idref="sect264">If the total is now 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
924       <choice idref="sect121">If it is 3<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
925       <choice idref="sect319">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
926      </data>
927     </section>
928
929     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
930      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
931
932      <data>
933       <p><foreign xml:lang="x-giak"><quote>Naog daka!</quote></foreign> snarls a voice in the corridor behind. You spin round to see two Drakkarim warriors, both armed with loaded crossbows. Slowly you let your hand drift towards your weapon but your move does not go unnoticed. Suddenly a starburst of pain explodes in your head and darkness washes over your vision as you are slammed back against the door by the force of the bolt which has penetrated your skull. Death is instantaneous.</p>
934       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
935      </data>
936     </section>
937
938     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
939      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
940
941      <data>
942       <p>You coax your horse along the rocky trail as it winds its way upstream towards the foothills of the Eru Range. By early evening you have traversed several miles of difficult terrain and, by chance, you find yourself at the entrance to an incredible gorge. It is filled with a sea of wild flowers so colourful that you are dazzled by their brilliance. The scent they exude is extremely potent and you feel a tremendous urge to dismount and lie down to sleep among the beautiful blooms.</p>
943       <choice idref="sect83">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Nexus and have reached the rank of Primate or higher, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
944       <choice idref="sect255">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Curing, <link-text>turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
945       <choice idref="sect167">If you possess neither of these skills, <link-text>turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
946      </data>
947     </section>
948
949     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
950      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
951
952      <data>
953       <p>It becomes colder as night draws its black cloak around the clearing. Having done without sleep the previous evening you are now very tired, and settle down to rest with your back against the mossy temple wall. You are just drifting off when you become aware that something is moving near the edge of the trees. Shadowy shapes wreathed in mist are swirling around the pines like phantoms in a dream.</p>
954       <choice idref="sect93">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen and have reached the Kai rank of Mentora, <link-text>turn to 93</link-text>.</choice>
955       <choice idref="sect228">If you do not possess this skill, or if you have yet to reach this level of Magnakai training, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
956      </data>
957     </section>
958
959     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
960      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
961
962      <data>
963       <p>Tagazin shudders as the blows of the Sommerswerd rob him of his supernatural strength. His body becomes pale, almost transparent, and tiny tendrils of smoke curl from his skin as if his body were slowly evaporating. He retreats towards the centre of the temple and leaps onto the marble block. There is a chilling howl and suddenly the shadowy chamber is flooded with a blinding light. Thunder booms and the walls shake. Terrified, Roark and his companions flee through the shattered doors and scramble up the stairs. Crackling bolts of white lightning leap from the marble block to tear great chunks of rock from the walls, and the air seethes with a cloying stench that threatens to suffocate you. With terror in your heart you bound up the stairs and escape as the defeated spirit of the Demonlord vents its spite on the chamber below.</p>
964       <choice idref="sect341"><link-text>Turn to 341</link-text>.</choice>
965      </data>
966     </section>
967
968     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
969      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
970
971      <data>
972       <p>You reach the King<ch.apos/>s headquarters only to discover that he is not there: he has taken personal command of his Horse Knights and mounted men-at-arms, and led them in an attack on the enemy<ch.apos/>s reinforcements. From the top of the hill you can see a huge cavalry battle taking place on the grasslands south of Cetza. Amid the wheeling ranks of armoured horsemen, at the very heart of the fiercest fighting, flies the King<ch.apos/>s banner. It would be impossible for you to reach him and request that he save the Prince.</p>
973       <p>Mindful of the time that has been lost, you turn your horse about and set off towards the Prince<ch.apos/>s reserves, determined now to lead them yourself.</p>
974       <choice idref="sect49"><link-text>Turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
975      </data>
976     </section>
977
978     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
979      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
980
981      <data>
982       <p>Your Magnakai skill warns you that the robed figures possess magical abilities. The glass globes they are holding contain a volatile mixture of phosphorus and oil. If the globes were to break, the contents would burst into flames immediately on contact with the air.</p>
983       <choice idref="sect293">If you have a Bow and wish to fire an Arrow at one of the globes, <link-text>turn to 293</link-text>.</choice>
984       <choice idref="sect199">If not, <link-text>turn to 199</link-text>.</choice>
985      </data>
986     </section>
987
988     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
989      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
990
991      <data>
992       <p>You fling aside the curtain and rush through the archway into the passage beyond. The two cave guards turn to face you but the speed of your escape leaves them fumbling for their spears. You reach the exit, breathless and fearful, and catch sight of a patrol of horsemen arriving at the camp. They dismount, tether their horses to some bushes, and make their way wearily towards the main campfire. Seeing an opportunity to escape, you rush to the first bush and snatch up the reins of the nearest mount. Suddenly a cry echoes from the cave mouth: the guards are raising the alarm. You climb into the saddle but your escape is blocked by a partisan horseman riding up the narrow track that leads into the camp.</p>
993       <combat><enemy>Partisan Horseman</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
994       <choice idref="sect239">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
995      </data>
996     </section>
997
998     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
999      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
1000
1001      <data>
1002       <p>Gradually your Psi-screen weakens enough to enable the phantoms to engulf you with their snaky tendrils. You shudder with fear as they coil around your limbs, filling them with a terrible chill that steals your strength and your will to resist. Reluctantly you surrender to their numbing caress and slip into a sleep from which there will be no awakening.</p>
1003       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1004      </data>
1005     </section>
1006
1007     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
1008      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
1009
1010      <data>
1011       <p>You rub your eyes and look around you at a campsite nestling in a hollow at the foot of a great, snow-capped mountain. It is occupied by a host of partisans, who are busy tending their ponies and sharpening weapons dulled by heavy fighting. Your escort helps you to dismount and you are led through the camp to a cave hidden beneath a huge outcrop of rock. As you enter the cave and follow a torchlit passage, you hear voices echoing in the distance and your keen nostrils catch the scent of roasting meat. The passage ends at a curtained archway guarded by two men with spears. They look at you brusquely, as if you were a stray dog, but your escort explains your purpose here and they stand aside to allow you an audience with their leader, Sebb Jarel.</p>
1012       <choice idref="sect38"><link-text>Turn to 38</link-text>.</choice>
1013      </data>
1014     </section>
1015
1016     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
1017      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
1018
1019      <data>
1020       <p>A wave of pain begins to envelop your mind, but your psychic defences deflect the attack before it overwhelms your senses: lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point.</p>
1021       <p>The attack ceases but your fear grows as you watch the jackal-like Demonlord leap from the marble block and come bounding towards the door.</p>
1022       <choice idref="sect147">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
1023       <choice idref="sect174">If not, <link-text>turn to 174</link-text>.</choice>
1024      </data>
1025     </section>
1026
1027     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
1028      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
1029
1030      <data>
1031       <p>Your pack and weapons land safely among the tangle of foliage that carpets the ground on the opposite side of the chasm. Free of their encumbrance, you take a long run-up and leap feet-first across the gap.</p>
1032       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1033       <choice idref="sect54">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 54</link-text>.</choice>
1034       <choice idref="sect15">If it is 4 or more, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
1035      </data>
1036     </section>
1037
1038     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
1039      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
1040
1041      <data>
1042       <p>Suddenly a dozen webbed hands slap over the sides of the boat and six ghoulish, dome-shaped heads rise from the river. Their mottled throat sacs puff and slacken fitfully as these creatures clamber over the gunwales and launch their attack.</p>
1043       <illustration class="float">
1044        <meta>
1045         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1046         <description>Suddenly ghoulish, dome-shaped heads rise from the river.</description>
1047        </meta>
1048        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="671"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1049        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="671"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1050        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="671" />
1051       </illustration>
1052       <combat><enemy>Ciquali</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">29</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
1053       <p>Unless you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, reduce your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 3 points for the first round of combat due to the surprise of the attack.</p>
1054       <choice idref="sect169">If you win and the fight lasts four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
1055       <choice idref="sect309">If you win and the fight lasts longer than four rounds, <link-text>turn to 309</link-text>.</choice>
1056      </data>
1057     </section>
1058
1059     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
1060      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
1061
1062      <data>
1063       <p>On your return to Prince Graygor<ch.apos/>s tent you are shown to your sleeping area by one of his heralds. It is little more than a pile of straw strewn on the bare ground, but you have slept in worse places than this and you are now too exhausted to complain or look for somewhere more suitable to rest.</p>
1064       <p>Unless you possess a blanket, lose 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point due to an uncomfortable night<ch.apos/>s sleep.</p>
1065       <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
1066      </data>
1067     </section>
1068
1069     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
1070      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
1071
1072      <footnotes>
1073       <footnote id="sect30-1-foot" idref="sect30-1">
1074        <p>There is no choice that leads to this section of the book. It is exactly the same as <a idref="sect299">Section 299</a> and therefore superfluous.</p>
1075       </footnote>
1076      </footnotes>
1077
1078      <data>
1079       <p>The alarm bell signifies that the entrance to the tower is under attack. Adamas and his army have reached the centre of the city and are now fighting their way down into the dungeons in an attempt to free the slaves. The Death Knights are hurrying to their battle stations and they are unaware of your presence in this chamber.<footref id="sect30-1" idref="sect30-1-foot"/></p>
1080       <choice idref="sect136"><link-text>Turn to 136</link-text>.</choice>
1081      </data>
1082     </section>
1083
1084     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1085      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1086
1087      <data>
1088       <p>You rush headlong through the trees and dense undergrowth, the dreadful howls of the Akataz growing ever louder in your ears. The pine trees appear to be thinning out and, as you break through a mass of waist-high foliage, you discover that the forest ends abruptly at the edge of a steep gorge. You skid to a halt and stare down at a raging river over 100 feet below.</p>
1089       <p>A snarl, dangerously close, makes you spin on your heel and stare back into the forest. Your gaze is met by a score of hungry war-dogs as they creep closer for the kill.</p>
1090       <choice idref="sect81">If you wish to stand and fight the Akataz, <link-text>turn to 81</link-text>.</choice>
1091       <choice idref="sect340">If you choose to evade them by jumping into the gorge, <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1092      </data>
1093     </section>
1094
1095     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1096      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1097
1098      <data>
1099       <p>The Drakkarim give a loud yell as soon as they see Adamas appear. At once the vanguard fire their crossbows and many bolts find their mark, but the Drakkarim who fall do not hamper their comrades, who are preparing to welcome Adamas with huge chunks of rock. With cat-like agility he veers right and left, weaving his way through the deluge of falling boulders, which smash down with a terrific crack. He reaches the door unscathed, rips the satchel from his shoulder, and primes the crystal explosive. Automatically you start to count as he runs back through rubble and dead bodies. Six<ch.ellips/>seven<ch.ellips/>eight<ch.ellips/>He leaps, and as you count nine he clears the rampart and lands beside you, breathless and exhilarated.</p>
1100       <choice idref="sect301"><link-text>Turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
1101      </data>
1102     </section>
1103
1104     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1105      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1106
1107      <data>
1108       <p>Your lightning-fast reactions save you from the deadly blade. But even before the dagger has blunted itself on the wall behind, Halgar pulls free the Bullwhip that he carries on his belt. He lashes out and the copper-studded whip snakes towards your unprotected face.</p>
1109       <combat><enemy>Halgar</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">24</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
1110       <p>Owing to the speed of his attack you cannot use a Bow or evade combat.</p>
1111       <choice idref="sect145">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
1112      </data>
1113     </section>
1114
1115     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1116      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1117
1118      <data>
1119       <p>You roll the dead Bhakish into the water and stare fearfully across the Hellswamp at myriad pairs of eyes gleaming coldly in the moonlight. A sudden movement in the water makes you recoil from the edge. Seconds later the scummy surface is whipped into a froth as the bodies are claimed by an unseen predator.</p>
1120       <p>You and Jarel are unsettled by the encounter and you both spend a sleepless night cradling your weapons and waiting for the dawn: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1121       <choice idref="sect101"><link-text>Turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
1122      </data>
1123     </section>
1124
1125     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1126      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1127
1128      <data>
1129       <p>You stare deeply into the serpent<ch.apos/>s scarlet eyes and will the venomous creature to sleep. It begins to sway, and then gradually its jaws close and it buries its head in its coils, succumbing totally to your command.</p>
1130       <choice idref="sect205"><link-text>Turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1131      </data>
1132     </section>
1133
1134     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1135      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1136
1137      <data>
1138       <p>With the legendary grace and speed of a Kai master in battle, you draw an Arrow and send it whistling towards the sniper<ch.apos/>s head. He utters a gurgling scream as he topples from the first-floor window, your Arrow stuck in his throat.</p>
1139       <choice idref="sect296">If you wish to run forward to search the body, <link-text>turn to 296</link-text>.</choice>
1140       <choice idref="sect155">If you choose to press on towards the centre of the town, <link-text>turn to 155</link-text>.</choice>
1141      </data>
1142     </section>
1143
1144     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1145      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1146
1147      <data>
1148       <p>You have covered less than a mile when suddenly you hear the screams of men and startled horses coming from the darkness ahead. Cautiously you advance until you find yourself at the edge of a steep slope which descends to the site of an ancient quarry. Torchlight flickers at the centre of this wooded bowl, illuminating a grim and supernatural conflict.</p>
1149       <choice idref="sect266"><link-text>Turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
1150      </data>
1151     </section>
1152
1153     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1154      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1155
1156      <data>
1157       <p>Beyond the curtained arch lies a cavern bathed in the flickering light of a log fire. Five men sit cross-legged around the fire, carving meat from a boar on a spit suspended over the flames, and swilling wine from a wineskin that is passed between them.</p>
1158       <p><quote>What have we here?</quote> says a man with mouse-like features, as you appear before them.</p>
1159       <p><quote>A Pathfinder, if I<ch.apos/>m not mistaken,</quote> says another, wiping spilt wine from his chin. <quote>Well, Pathfinder, what brings you to our camp?</quote></p>
1160       <p><quote>I come to seek the help of Sebb Jarel,</quote> you reply. <quote>Which one of you is he?</quote></p>
1161       <p><quote>I am Jarel,</quote> answers the mouse-like man. <quote>How can I aid you?</quote></p>
1162       <choice idref="sect157">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Divination, <link-text>turn to 157</link-text>.</choice>
1163       <choice idref="sect275">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 275</link-text>.</choice>
1164      </data>
1165     </section>
1166
1167     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1168      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1169
1170      <data>
1171       <p>You snatch the reins and wheel your horse around on its hind legs in one swift, elegant movement. The sergeant screams an order and his men lunge forward, hoping to stick you with their swords before your horse<ch.apos/>s forelegs return to the ground. But their attack is much too slow to catch a Kai master off-guard. Your horse regains its footing and you gallop through their shrinking ring of steel, barging aside two stout mountain ponies and leaving their riders sprawling in the dust.</p>
1172       <p>The partisans give chase as you gallop headlong down a long and twisting hill track. You are beginning to outdistance your pursuers when your steed suddenly pitches forward and you are thrown head-first into a tangle of foliage. The dense undergrowth cushions your fall and you emerge unscathed, but your horse has been seriously injured. A deep pot-hole ensnared its foreleg and the limb is badly broken: the poor animal cannot go on. The partisans gallop into view and you are forced to abandon your crippled mount and escape on foot. With the angry cries of your pursuers growing ever louder, you curse your ill luck and run for the cover of the surrounding forest.</p>
1173       <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
1174      </data>
1175     </section>
1176
1177     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1178      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1179
1180      <data>
1181       <p>The corroded iron gantry shakes violently as you inch your way nearer to the flaming green ball. Once you are in position, you call to Paido and, one by one, he smashes the crystal rods.</p>
1182       <choice idref="sect196"><link-text>Turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
1183      </data>
1184     </section>
1185
1186     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1187      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1188
1189      <data>
1190       <p>Roark watches you rush towards him with hate and fear in his eyes. <quote>Help me, master,</quote> he whimpers, rising unsteadily and drawing a slim-bladed sword from beneath his black robes.</p>
1191       <p>Demonlord Tagazin answers his servant with a thunderous growl but does not hasten his pace to save him from your attack. He seems to be enjoying the fear that Roark displays, and as you strike his growl changes to a hideous snigger.</p>
1192       <combat><enemy>Roark</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">18</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">20</enemy-attribute></combat>
1193       <choice idref="sect326">If you win and the fight lasts three rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 326</link-text>.</choice>
1194       <choice idref="sect10">If the fight lasts longer than three rounds, do not continue but <link-text>turn instead to 10</link-text>.</choice>
1195      </data>
1196     </section>
1197
1198     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1199      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1200
1201      <data>
1202       <p><quote>By the gods! What manner of black sorcery is this?</quote> gasps Prince Graygor, horrified by the cruel slaughter. But his horror is soon overcome by the sudden realization that he must act swiftly to counter this threat or the battle might be lost. The Lencian knights are being held up at the bridge and every minute that passes costs them dearly.</p>
1203       <p>He calls for his destrier, a magnificent white charger clad in ornate plate armour, and climbs into the saddle. <quote>To battle!</quote> he shouts, and, ignoring the warnings of his heralds, he spurs his warhorse down the hill. The knights of the Palace Guard give a rousing cheer as he takes his place at the head of their column and leads them towards the ruined temple.</p>
1204       <choice idref="sect284">If you wish to mount your horse and join the cavalry advance, <link-text>turn to 284</link-text>.</choice>
1205       <choice idref="sect163">If you choose to stay where you are and observe the battle, <link-text>turn to 163</link-text>.</choice>
1206      </data>
1207     </section>
1208
1209     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1210      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1211
1212      <data>
1213       <p>With your heart in your mouth you leap across the raging river and land with a jolt that leaves you breathless. For several minutes you cling to the smooth rock until you are recovered enough to be able to continue to the far side. When you reach the safety of the opposite bank you discover that you have lost one item from your Backpack<ch.emdash/>it must have fallen out as you made the jump.</p>
1214       <p>Delete the item you have listed second on the Backpack section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> before you venture into the Moggador Forest.</p>
1215       <choice idref="sect186"><link-text>Turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
1216      </data>
1217     </section>
1218
1219     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1220      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1221
1222      <data>
1223       <p>You turn and race towards the bridge, but the way is now blocked by a barricade defended by Drakkarim archers. A clutch of black arrows screams through the air and you are forced to dive into an open doorway to avoid being hit. Swiftly you rise, crouched ready for combat lest an enemy is nearby waiting to attack you, but your caution proves unnecessary<ch.emdash/>the ruined cottage is empty.</p>
1224       <p>After clambering through open windows and working your way across smouldering piles of rubble, you finally emerge at a street with a barn-like building on the corner. Crouching at a window on the upper floor is a Drakkarim sniper with an arrow notched and ready to fire. He sees you appear and releases his straining bowstring, sending his arrow whistling towards your heart.</p>
1225       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1226       <choice idref="sect264">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
1227       <choice idref="sect121">If it is 3<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
1228       <choice idref="sect319">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
1229      </data>
1230     </section>
1231
1232     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1233      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1234
1235      <data>
1236       <p>Inside the tent a group of senior officers are poring over their battle-maps and planning their troop dispositions for an assault across the causeway. Their leader has his back to you, but when he turns to see who has entered his tent, you recognize him at once: he is Adamas, Lord Constable of Garthen. <quote>By the gods!</quote> he exclaims. <quote>I thought the Danarg had claimed you, Lone Wolf. How good it is to see you alive.</quote></p>
1237       <p>He dismisses his captains and bids you tell all that has happened since last you met. <quote>So you wish to break into Torgar,</quote> he says, thoughtfully. <quote>How strange it is that our goals should be so similar. Come, follow me, perhaps cooperation will hasten our success.</quote></p>
1238       <choice idref="sect127"><link-text>Turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
1239      </data>
1240     </section>
1241
1242     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1243      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1244
1245      <data>
1246       <p>Drawing on the combined power of your psychic skills, you focus a beam of clairvoyant energy at the captain<ch.apos/>s mind. Visions of warriors training with weapons and practising their woodcraft swirl before your eyes. You increase your concentration and suddenly a name crystallizes in your mind<ch.apos/>s eye.</p>
1247       <p><quote>Sharwhan,</quote> you say, confidently.</p>
1248       <choice idref="sect287"><link-text>Turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
1249      </data>
1250     </section>
1251
1252     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1253      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1254
1255      <data>
1256       <p>You are about to descend when a shadow looms into view and a Drakkarim officer appears at the foot of the stairs. Instantly you press yourself to the wall and use all your Kai skills to mask your presence. He strides up the stairs, passing within a few feet of you, but miraculously he fails to notice you and continues without stopping. After wiping the sweat from your brow you continue down the stairs.</p>
1257       <choice idref="sect285"><link-text>Turn to 285</link-text>.</choice>
1258      </data>
1259     </section>
1260
1261     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1262      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1263
1264      <data>
1265       <p>You tie one end of the rope to a strong stick and cast it across the gap. On your third attempt it anchors in some exposed tree roots near to the edge. A few tentative pulls assure you that it is secure enough to support your weight and you swing across, your feet braced to withstand the jolt of impact against the chasm wall.</p>
1266       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1267       <choice idref="sect304">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 304</link-text>.</choice>
1268       <choice idref="sect289">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
1269      </data>
1270     </section>
1271
1272     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1273      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1274
1275      <data>
1276       <p>Swiftly you inform the captains of the reserve regiments of the danger facing their Prince. At first they are reluctant to take orders from a Pathfinder, whose rank is inferior to theirs, but the logic of your argument and your forceful character persuades them to comply with your commands.</p>
1277       <p>Trumpets announce the advance and you set off across the body-strewn battlefield with a force 900 strong. Pikemen lead the column with archers close behind, and bringing up the rear are a levy of militia, many of whom lived in Cetza before the Drakkarim invaded. Their morale is high for this is their chance to recover their homes and their land.</p>
1278       <p>Tensely you watch as the enemy attack. The Palace Guard link shields but, as the Hammerlanders slam into their line, they buckle and waver beneath the crushing onslaught. As your force crosses the ditch, you pray that the Prince and his men have strength enough to hold for just a few minutes more.</p>
1279       <choice idref="sect292"><link-text>Turn to 292</link-text>.</choice>
1280      </data>
1281     </section>
1282
1283     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1284      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1285
1286      <data>
1287       <p>For several hours you follow an ancient pavement that mostly lies buried beneath the rich black soil of the forest floor. Occasionally you discover a heap of moss-covered slabs; they are all that remain of dwellings built long before the trees conquered the isle. It is late afternoon when you reach a clearing in the middle of which stands a decaying structure of mould-encrusted stone. The building is an immense ziggurat which is so overgrown that it appears to be a part of the surrounding soil and vegetation.</p>
1288       <p>A section of this verdant growth has been cleared to reveal two massive doors of solid crystal set into the lowest level.</p>
1289       <choice idref="sect314">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Divination, <link-text>turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
1290       <choice idref="sect89">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
1291      </data>
1292     </section>
1293
1294     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1295      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1296
1297      <data>
1298       <p>A laugh, deep and guttural, rumbles from the far side of the cavern. <quote>I see Skalir<ch.apos/>s play-actin<ch.apos/> ain<ch.apos/>t good enough to fool you, Pathfinder,</quote> says a man who, until now, has been watching silently in the shadows. As he steps forward, the fire casts a warm glow over his massive frame. He stands over six-and-a-half-feet tall, his face is covered by a thick red beard, and he has a shock of bright red hair that cascades over the wolfskin cloak slung over his shoulders. He smiles, his green eyes bright and piercing, set wide beneath an intelligent brow.</p>
1299       <illustration class="float">
1300        <meta>
1301         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1302         <description>A massive man steps forward, with thick red hair and a beard that cascades over his wolfskin cloak.</description>
1303        </meta>
1304        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="594"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1305        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="594"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1306        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="594" />
1307       </illustration>
1308       <p><quote>Check on the sentries, Skalir,</quote> he instructs his lieutenant. <quote>And make sure they<ch.apos/>ve got their wits about <ch.apos/>em tonight.</quote> Obediently, the mouse-like man and his four companions leave the chamber. As the curtain is pulled across the archway, the red-haired giant motions you to sit with him at the fire. <quote>I am Jarel,</quote> he says. <quote>What do you want from me?</quote></p>
1309       <choice idref="sect92"><link-text>Turn to 92</link-text>.</choice>
1310      </data>
1311     </section>
1312
1313     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1314      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1315
1316      <data>
1317       <p>The plate-armoured warriors reach the bottom of the stairs and begin running in your direction, as fast as their heavy equipment will allow. Their ox-like leader urges them on with the words<ch.emdash/><foreign xml:lang="x-giak"><quote>Gaz darg! Gaz aga kuzim! Okim der tagog!</quote></foreign></p>
1318       <choice idref="sect109">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 109</link-text>.</choice>
1319       <choice idref="sect320">If you decide to draw a hand weapon and prepare for combat, <link-text>turn to 320</link-text>.</choice>
1320       <choice idref="sect136">If you choose to keep perfectly still in the hope that they have not seen you, <link-text>turn to 136</link-text>.</choice>
1321      </data>
1322     </section>
1323
1324     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1325      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1326
1327      <data>
1328       <p><quote>Excellent!</quote> says King Sarnac. <quote>I wish I had a few like you in my own army.</quote></p>
1329       <p>He bids you step forward and shows you the extent of the known enemy positions using Prince Graygor<ch.apos/>s map. Once you have been briefed, he sends for some black clothing for you to wear instead of your grey Pathfinder<ch.apos/>s uniform and some burnt cork with which to blacken your face and hands. You are then escorted to the edge of the encampment, close to the dusty road on which the army marched from Luomi. The guards tell you that the password is <quote>broadsword</quote>. When you return you must use this word or the pickets<ch.emdash/>the sentries who guard the perimeter of the camp<ch.emdash/>may mistake you for one of the enemy.</p>
1330       <choice idref="sect94"><link-text>Turn to 94</link-text>.</choice>
1331      </data>
1332     </section>
1333
1334     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1335      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1336
1337      <data>
1338       <p>You land heavily at the edge of the chasm and the soil disintegrates on impact. Desperately you lunge for a tangle of roots and hold fast as your legs swing wildly in the void. Just as you begin to recover from the shock of the fall, you hear a scrabbling sound coming from somewhere deep within the rock-face. Suddenly a section of the sheer wall crumbles away, exposing the head of a ghastly, worm-like creature with huge, clacking mandibles. You have disturbed a hungry Lapillibore and it is intent on eating you alive.</p>
1339       <combat><enemy>Lapillibore</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">16</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">50</enemy-attribute></combat>
1340       <p>Owing to your precarious position, deduct 3 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight. Unless you possess a weapon-like Special Item, reduce your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by a further 4 points and fight the creature unarmed. You may not use the Silver Bow of Duadon in this combat (if you possess this Special Item). If you have reached the rank of Tutelary and possess the Discipline of Weaponmastery, you only need deduct 2 points from your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> if you do not possess a weapon-like Special Item.</p>
1341       <choice idref="sect237">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 237</link-text>.</choice>
1342      </data>
1343     </section>
1344
1345     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1346      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1347
1348      <data>
1349       <p>Slowly the ghosts encircle you and glide forward undaunted by the light. You brace yourself for their attack but still you shudder when their snaky tendrils lash out and engulf your limbs. Their touch fills you with a terrible chill that steals your strength and your will to resist. Reluctantly you surrender to their numbing caress and slip into a sleep from which there will be no awakening.</p>
1350       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1351      </data>
1352     </section>
1353
1354     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1355      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1356
1357      <data>
1358       <p>The Ziran utters a gurgling, blood-soaked death-cry, and crumples at your feet. Tongues of flame ignite and quickly consume his corpse beneath a pall of oily black smoke. Suddenly an explosion shakes the ground as the iron stave disintegrates into a million glowing shards. You rush to the injured Prince, heave him across your shoulder, and flee the temple as the flames and choking black fumes begin to spread.</p>
1359       <p>Once you are a safe distance from the ruins you lower the Prince gently to the ground and watch as the guttering flames gradually ebb and fade.</p>
1360       <choice idref="sect211"><link-text>Turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1361      </data>
1362     </section>
1363
1364     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1365      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1366
1367      <data>
1368       <p>The two robed figures utter a sinister curse and fling their globes into the air. The yellow spheres rise higher and higher until they disappear completely in the smoke-laden air. The Palmyrions are eager to engage the enemy and rush forward with their weapons drawn to strike. But before they fall upon the Drakkarim, the yellow spheres fall upon them<ch.emdash/>with devastating effect.</p>
1369       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
1370      </data>
1371     </section>
1372
1373     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1374      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1375
1376      <data>
1377       <p>The bear knows the forest well: he knows its treasures and its dangers. Carefully you follow in his tracks as he works his way through the pines towards the edge of a deep gorge, where a trail descends gently to the bank of a rushing river. Massive boulders, smoothed by centuries of erosion, rise from the foaming torrent like giant stepping stones. Across the river lies another forest, dark and forbidding. Although the sun is strong in the cloudless sky and the air is warm and dry, a grey mist hangs heavy and cold around the trees of that forest.</p>
1378       <p>All along the bank on this side of the river grow clumps of bushy herbs with bright red flowers. The bear scoops a pawful of the scarlet petals and chews them contentedly as he nods farewell and ambles back into the forest.</p>
1379       <choice idref="sect276">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Curing, <link-text>turn to 276</link-text>.</choice>
1380       <choice idref="sect325">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 325</link-text>.</choice>
1381      </data>
1382     </section>
1383
1384     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1385      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1386
1387      <data>
1388       <p>The island is no more than a crusty mud flat supporting a brace of stunted trees. You make a landing and haul the boat out of the water before overturning it to provide a shelter from the monotonous drizzle. Your rumbling stomach reminds you that you have not eaten today, and you must eat a Meal now or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1389       <p>You agree to take the first watch and, as Jarel settles down to sleep, you sit and stare across the moonlit swamp, contemplating the journey ahead. By chance you are looking down at the water<ch.apos/>s edge when a scaly paw breaks through the surface and sinks its claws into the mud. A second paw joins it and between them rises a gruesome fish-like head. Moonlight glints on its needle-thin fangs as silently it slinks out of the mire.</p>
1390       <choice idref="sect76">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 76</link-text>.</choice>
1391       <choice idref="sect311">If not, <link-text>turn to 311</link-text>.</choice>
1392      </data>
1393     </section>
1394
1395     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1396      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1397
1398      <data>
1399       <p><quote>You<ch.apos/>re a spy!</quote> screams the captain as he reaches for the hilt of his sword. Instinctively you lash out, catching him with a powerful uppercut punch that lifts him clean off his feet and leaves him sprawled on the ground unconscious.</p>
1400       <p><quote>Fire!</quote> shouts a bull-necked Pirsian. You throw yourself to the floor. A deafening roar reverberates through the town as the men discharge their unwieldy pistols, but the lead shot passes harmlessly over your head and buries itself in the tavern door. The noise stirs a hornets<ch.apos/> nest of activity as the rest of the townsfolk arm themselves and rush into the street to investigate the commotion. The situation is beginning to look desperate when you see a chance to escape. The pistols created a huge cloud of white smoke. Under cover of this acrid cloud you scurry along an alley beside the log tavern and run headlong into the foliage and trees beyond.</p>
1401       <p>With the angry cries of the townsfolk rippling through the forest, you curse your ill luck as you make good your escape into the dark.</p>
1402       <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
1403      </data>
1404     </section>
1405
1406     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1407      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1408
1409      <data>
1410       <p>The Talestrians bring their horses to a halt and regard you with suspicion. Their officer draws his sword and demands to know your nationality and the name of your regiment. You reply in his native tongue that you are an Eruan Pathfinder, and a smile spreads slowly across his rugged face. He tells you that he and his men are scouts who have been sent to make sure that the hills are free of enemy troops. Your Kai Sixth Sense confirms that he speaks the truth, and when he offers to take you to meet his commander, you accept the invitation gladly.</p>
1411       <choice idref="sect6"><link-text>Turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
1412      </data>
1413     </section>
1414
1415     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1416      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1417
1418      <data>
1419       <p>The further you skirt around the edge of the chasm the wider it becomes. After an hour of searching for an alternative way across, you are forced to return to the trail and reconsider the jump.</p>
1420       <choice idref="sect48">If you have a Rope and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 48</link-text>.</choice>
1421       <choice idref="sect317">If not, <link-text>turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
1422      </data>
1423     </section>
1424
1425     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1426      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1427
1428      <data>
1429       <p>The hail of arrows and the sight of your black-clad form lurching towards them make the guards over-excited. They fear it is the beginning of a Drakkarim attack, and when they hear you shout the wrong password it makes them panic. <quote>Raid!</quote> they cry, alerting a unit of crossbowmen stationed on the high ground behind them. They grab their loaded weapons and take aim, but the only target they can see is you.</p>
1430       <p>A scything wave of iron bolts engulfs you and an agonizing explosion of pain fills your chest. You are mortally wounded and although you fight to hang on to your life, it is a struggle you cannot win.</p>
1431       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1432      </data>
1433     </section>
1434
1435     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1436      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1437
1438      <data>
1439       <p>Blinding pain stabs at your head as pulses of psychic energy prise open the secrets of your mind: lose 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. Lord Adamas commands you to reveal your mission and your true identity and you are powerless to resist.</p>
1440       <choice idref="sect290"><link-text>Turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1441      </data>
1442     </section>
1443
1444     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1445      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1446
1447      <data>
1448       <p>You recognize the emblem of Salony, the smallest of the Stornland nations. The two soldiers are dressed in the uniforms of mercenary swordsmen from the town of Amory, which is situated close to its northern border. Fear and suspicion grow stronger and you try to fathom a reason why these soldiers of fortune are here on this remote isle, 1,000 miles from their homeland.</p>
1449       <p>One of the men struggles to his feet and begins walking towards you. You sense that he has not seen you<ch.emdash/>he is merely answering the call of nature<ch.emdash/>but you decide that it is wise to slip away. Under cover of the forest you return to the front of the building.</p>
1450       <choice idref="sect89"><link-text>Turn to 89</link-text>.</choice>
1451      </data>
1452     </section>
1453
1454     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1455      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1456
1457      <data>
1458       <p><quote>On to Cetza!</quote> shouts Prince Graygor. The battle-cry is taken up by his valiant soldiers as he leads them across the corpse-strewn field towards the town.</p>
1459       <p>Heavy fighting is raging along the main street. The Lencian knights have taken the bridge and King Sarnac<ch.apos/>s spearmen have breached the wall that surrounds the apple orchard. However, the Drakkarim are determined to stand their ground and they fight back viciously like starving wolves. You run with a group of longbowmen towards the centre of Cetza and find yourself approaching a barn-like building which overlooks the bridge. Standing at a window on its upper floor is a Drakkarim sniper with an arrow notched ready to fire. Patiently he watches you weaving through the smoky ruins until you present a clear target. He releases his straining bowstring and sends an arrow whistling towards your heart.</p>
1460       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1461       <choice idref="sect264">If your total is 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
1462       <choice idref="sect121">If it is 3<ch.endash/>5, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
1463       <choice idref="sect319">If it is 6 or more, <link-text>turn to 319</link-text>.</choice>
1464      </data>
1465     </section>
1466
1467     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1468      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1469
1470      <data>
1471       <p>You have taken less than a dozen silent steps when the voices stop. There is a rustle of foliage, and then a group of hideous-looking creatures emerge from the bushes. They are not as tall as you but almost twice as broad, with arms that hang below their knees. They slobber repulsively as they draw their primitive weapons and shuffle closer.</p>
1472       <choice idref="sect119">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
1473       <choice idref="sect315">If not, <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
1474      </data>
1475     </section>
1476
1477     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1478      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1479
1480      <data>
1481       <p>With a yell, you barge your way through the stunned tavern crowd and kick open the back door. The land behind the building is thickly forested and you run headlong into its welcoming cover. With the angry cries of the Pirsians rippling through the trees, you curse your ill luck and escape into the darkness.</p>
1482       <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
1483      </data>
1484     </section>
1485
1486     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1487      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1488
1489      <data>
1490       <p><quote>So you are Lone Wolf,</quote> he says, bowing respectfully. <quote>I am honoured to meet you, though I would have wished for happier circumstances. I think I know why you have come to Torgar<ch.emdash/>is it not to take the golden gems which Darklord Gnaag sent here?</quote></p>
1491       <p><quote>Yes,</quote> you reply, <quote>they are the Lorestones of my ancestors and I have vowed to retrieve them. I must fulfil my vow for it is vital to the future safety of both our lands that Gnaag be prevented from destroying them.</quote></p>
1492       <p>Slowly a smile spreads across Paido<ch.apos/>s face. <quote>I will help you, Lone Wolf,</quote> he says, his warrior pride restored by the thought of avenging his cruel imprisonment. <quote>I know where these Lorestones are being held and I will take you there.</quote></p>
1493       <choice idref="sect88"><link-text>Turn to 88</link-text>.</choice>
1494      </data>
1495     </section>
1496
1497     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1498      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1499
1500      <data>
1501       <p>You draw an Arrow and take aim at the creature<ch.apos/>s mouth. It howls with devilish glee, drawing back its lips in a snarl that reveals a jaw full of fangs, most over six inches long. As the smell of its fetid breath fills your nostrils, you release your Arrow and send it streaking towards the beast<ch.apos/>s ghastly maw.</p>
1502       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add any missile bonuses you may have.</p>
1503       <choice idref="sect336">If the total is now 0<ch.endash/>2, <link-text>turn to 336</link-text>.</choice>
1504       <choice idref="sect349">If it is 3<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
1505       <choice idref="sect195">If it is 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1506      </data>
1507     </section>
1508
1509     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1510      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1511
1512      <data>
1513       <p>By the time you reach the ancient burial mound, Roark<ch.apos/>s follower is being drained of the last of his life-force by a host of hungry ghosts. Fear and premonition gnaw at your stomach when you sense that the evil spirits have detected your presence. They emit an unearthly shriek, and a terrible chill like a blast of icy cold wind washes over your body. You are gripped by an urge to run but they swoop down on you too quickly for you to be able to escape their clutches.</p>
1514       <choice idref="sect133">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
1515       <choice idref="sect168">If you possess a Bullwhip, <link-text>turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
1516       <choice idref="sect74">If you possess neither of these Special Items, <link-text>turn to 74</link-text>.</choice>
1517      </data>
1518     </section>
1519
1520     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1521      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1522
1523      <data>
1524       <p>The creature emits a shrill whistle as your killing blow pierces its brain. Its deadly mandibles continue to snap spasmodically, but without purpose, as its lifeless body oozes from the hole and falls limply to the chasm floor.</p>
1525       <p>Gripping firmly with both hands you haul yourself up, untie the stick from the end of the rope, and wind it back into your pack before setting off deeper into the eerie forest.</p>
1526       <choice idref="sect50"><link-text>Turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
1527      </data>
1528     </section>
1529
1530     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1531      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1532
1533      <data>
1534       <p>A shriek rises from the ranks of the Krorn as they catch the scent of your body drifting towards them on the breeze. Their heinous squeals alert Baron Shinzar to your presence and he turns to face you, his red axe glinting as a few rays of sunlight break through the haze of battle-smoke.</p>
1535       <choice idref="sect113">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
1536       <choice idref="sect126">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
1537      </data>
1538     </section>
1539
1540     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
1541      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
1542
1543      <data>
1544       <p>With your good hand you unsheathe your weapon and strike out at your ghostly attackers, but your brave blows pass clean through their mist-like forms without effect. You shudder with fear as their snaky tendrils close tightly around your limbs, filling them with a terrible chill that steals your strength and your will to resist. Reluctantly you surrender to their numbing caress and slip into a sleep from which there will be no awakening.</p>
1545       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1546      </data>
1547     </section>
1548
1549     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
1550      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
1551
1552      <data>
1553       <p>The road beyond the river takes you into thick forest and a dense canopy of branches arches overhead. A dazzling mosaic of light and shade blankets the trail as it winds like a tunnel through the tall, grey-green trees. Gradually the trail becomes rougher: new saplings have speared through the stony surface and foliage spills out from the forest on either side. The tunnel ends abruptly at the edge of a steep valley, although the trail itself continues, winding its way down towards a fast-flowing stream.</p>
1554       <p>Cautiously you urge your horse down the twisting path to arrive at a cluster of dilapidated log huts. Rust and rot have taken their toll but you can still discern the remains of what was once a mining settlement where men panned for gold. A wooden sign hangs lopsided above an open door, swinging slightly in the breeze. Its paint is cracked and the panel bears fresh sword scars, but you can still make out the words: it reads, KAIG SETTLEMENT.</p>
1555       <p>Two trails lead away from this abandoned mining village. One climbs out of the valley and disappears into the forest; the other follows the stream towards its source among the snow-capped mountains of the Eru Range.</p>
1556       <choice idref="sect102">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Pathsmanship, <link-text>turn to 102</link-text>.</choice>
1557       <choice idref="sect313">If you wish to take the trail that climbs out of the valley, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
1558       <choice idref="sect18">If you wish to ride along the track beside the stream, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1559      </data>
1560     </section>
1561
1562     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
1563      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
1564
1565      <data>
1566       <p>You aim and fire in the blink of an eye, sending your Arrow coursing deep into the creature<ch.apos/>s bloated body. It gives a sound more like a scream than a croak and sinks out of sight.</p>
1567       <p><quote>What the<ch.ellips/>!?</quote> coughs Jarel, woken by the scream. But before you can warn him, two more of the fish-like things clamber over the upturned boat and attack you both with their taloned paws.</p>
1568       <combat><enemy>Bhakish</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">21</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">25</enemy-attribute></combat>
1569       <p>These swamp dwellers are immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge).</p>
1570       <choice idref="sect34">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 34</link-text>.</choice>
1571      </data>
1572     </section>
1573
1574     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
1575      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
1576
1577      <data>
1578       <p>The gruesome clack of fangs fills your ears and white-hot pain lances through your arms and legs as the Akataz snap shut their powerful jaws. You try to repel them using your Kai Mastery of Animal Control, but their blood fury is aroused and their minds are fixed unshakeably on rending you to shreds: lose 5 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1579       <illustration class="float">
1580        <meta>
1581         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1582         <description>The black bear wrenches one snarling hound from your leg and another is torn to shreds by its razor-sharp claws.</description>
1583        </meta>
1584        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="589"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1585        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="589"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1586        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="589" />
1587       </illustration>
1588       <p>In desperation you will the black bear to come to your aid. It growls angrily and bounds towards the war-dogs. One snarling hound is wrenched from your leg, whirled about, and flung into the forest to break its back against a tree. Another has its skull crushed between the bear<ch.apos/>s powerful paws, and a third is torn to ribbons by one swipe of its razor-sharp claws. With your arms now free you are able to draw a weapon and dispatch an Akataz that has its fangs caught in the sole of your boot. Freed at last from your attackers, you sit up in time to see the bloodied survivors slinking away into the undergrowth.</p>
1589       <choice idref="sect117"><link-text>Turn to 117</link-text>.</choice>
1590      </data>
1591     </section>
1592
1593     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
1594      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
1595
1596      <data>
1597       <p><quote>It<ch.apos/>s an impressive-looking door,</quote> says Adamas, studying the wall of black iron, pitted and streaked with age. <quote>But every door has its key, and we have the key to this one.</quote> He flips open the leather satchel and removes what appears to be a mass of triangular crystals fused into one solid lump. <quote>This is the device that the Elder Magi prepared for us. It has to be placed at the foot of the door and it is activated by pressing this shard,</quote> he says, pointing to a sliver of crystal protruding from the side. <quote>The thing explodes ten seconds after the shard is pressed.</quote></p>
1598       <illustration class="inline">
1599        <meta>
1600         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1601        </meta>
1602        <instance class="html" src="small9.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1603        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small9.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1604        <instance class="pdf" src="small9.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1605       </illustration>
1606       <p>Calmly he takes a coin from his pocket and flicks it in the air. <quote>One of us must place the device,</quote> he says, as he catches the coin. <quote>We<ch.apos/>re the only two left who stand a chance of surviving the run.</quote> He nods at his clenched fist and invites you to call <quote>heads</quote> or <quote>tails</quote>.</p>
1607       <choice idref="sect14">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Divination and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 14</link-text>.</choice>
1608       <choice idref="sect330">If you wish to call <quote>heads</quote>, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
1609       <choice idref="sect212">If you wish to call <quote>tails</quote>, <link-text>turn to 212</link-text>.</choice>
1610      </data>
1611     </section>
1612
1613     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
1614      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
1615
1616      <data>
1617       <p>Once you have managed to grab hold of his arms you heave him out from beneath his dead mount and prise open the visor of his helmet. He coughs and retches the mud from his mouth and lies back against the bank of the ditch.</p>
1618       <p><quote>I owe you my life, Pathfinder,</quote> he gasps. <quote>Another minute and I<ch.apos/>d have been done for.</quote> You turn to leave but he grabs you by the wrist and presses a Medal into your hand. <quote>I won this at the Battle of Luomi,</quote> he says with pride. <quote>I want you to have it, with my eternal thanks.</quote> (If you wish to keep the Medal, mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item that you carry in your pocket.)</p>
1619       <p>Another cloud of arrows falls from the sky and you dive to the bottom of the ditch to avoid being hit. When you feel it is safe to raise your head, you discover that the knight is no longer with you: he is chasing after the Prince and his fellow knights as they gallop up the hill towards the Drakkarim pikemen.</p>
1620       <choice idref="sect115">If you wish to follow him on foot, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
1621       <choice idref="sect247">If you decide to look for a horse, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
1622      </data>
1623     </section>
1624
1625     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
1626      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
1627
1628      <data>
1629       <p>The lock clicks and the door opens on to a passage lined with torches that sputter and crackle noisily. Halfway along there is another door<ch.emdash/>a solid slab of iron broken only by a small, barred window. Silently you approach this door and peer in through the grille.</p>
1630       <choice idref="sect260">If you have visited the Danarg in a previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventure, <link-text>turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
1631       <choice idref="sect114">If not, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
1632      </data>
1633     </section>
1634
1635     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
1636      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
1637
1638      <data>
1639       <p>The Akataz fling themselves at you with wild ferocity, as if they are hungry to avenge the deaths of their brothers.</p>
1640       <combat><enemy>Akataz Pack</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">28</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">45</enemy-attribute></combat>
1641       <p>These war-dogs are especially susceptible to psychic attack. If you possess the Discipline of Mindblast or Psi-surge and wish to use either of them, double all bonuses you would normally receive. If you have completed the Lore-circle of the Spirit, triple all bonuses.</p>
1642       <choice idref="sect340">You can evade combat at any time by leaping into the gorge: <link-text>turn to 340</link-text>.</choice>
1643       <choice idref="sect268">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1644      </data>
1645     </section>
1646
1647     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
1648      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
1649
1650      <data>
1651       <p>Upon hearing your reply the officer lowers his sword and a friendly smile spreads across his rugged face. He tells you that he and his men are Talestrian scouts who have been sent ahead of their army to make sure these hills are free of enemy troops. Your Kai Sixth Sense confirms that he is speaking the truth, and when he offers to take you to meet his commander, you accept the invitation gladly.</p>
1652       <choice idref="sect6"><link-text>Turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
1653      </data>
1654     </section>
1655
1656     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
1657      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
1658
1659      <data>
1660       <p>Your Magnakai skill enables your body to overcome the intoxicating effect of the scent. Shaking your head and stifling a yawn, you urge your horse towards the end of the gorge.</p>
1661       <choice idref="sect98"><link-text>Turn to 98</link-text>.</choice>
1662      </data>
1663     </section>
1664
1665     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
1666      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
1667
1668      <data>
1669       <p>You search the bodies of the dead Krorn but find little of value. Their weapons are crude and poorly fashioned, and their packs contain nothing but strips of dried meat. You consider the long journey ahead, but stories you have heard about the Krorn<ch.apos/>s love of human flesh are enough to put you off the idea of taking this food.</p>
1670       <choice idref="sect146">If you wish to hide the bodies before you cross the river, <link-text>turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
1671       <choice idref="sect335">If you choose to leave them where they lie, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
1672      </data>
1673     </section>
1674
1675     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
1676      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
1677
1678      <data>
1679       <p>Sebb Jarel informs the partisans that he has agreed to guide you through the Hellswamp. He is careful not to reveal details of your quest, but he does tell them that your mission has royal approval and, if successful, will strike a major blow against the Drakkarim and their Darklord masters.</p>
1680       <p>At dawn, after a good night<ch.apos/>s sleep and a hearty breakfast, you mount and ride along a hidden trail that leads to Pirsi. There you leave your horses, for the next part of your journey, through Forest Taintor, is too difficult to attempt on horseback. Following traces of a forgotten path, you trek through the blue-grey pines until twilight when you stop to make camp for the night. Jarel volunteers for the first watch while you settle down gratefully on a bed of leaf mould and drift off into a dreamless sleep.</p>
1681       <illustration class="inline">
1682        <meta>
1683         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1684        </meta>
1685        <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1686        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1687        <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1688       </illustration>
1689       <p>It feels as if you have only just closed your eyes when you are awoken by the savage and desolate howl of a Taintor wolf.</p>
1690       <choice idref="sect329"><link-text>Turn to 329</link-text>.</choice>
1691      </data>
1692     </section>
1693
1694     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
1695      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
1696
1697      <data>
1698       <p>Your senses tell you that this man is both trustworthy and highly intelligent. There would be little to gain from trying to deceive him. It occurs to you that with his help it would be far easier for you to gain entry to Torgar and attempt the retrieval of the Lorestones. After careful consideration you decide to reveal your identity.</p>
1699       <choice idref="sect290"><link-text>Turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1700      </data>
1701     </section>
1702
1703     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
1704      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
1705
1706      <data>
1707       <p>Four men die before the shield-wall knits together and the lost ground is regained. The Hammerlanders reel back and the Brigandi surge forward, but they too cannot break through the Palace Guard. A trumpet sounds in the distance and the Prince<ch.apos/>s men cheer when they see their reserves streaming up the hill to support them. Two hundred Eruan pikemen press forward behind their bristling steel and take the enemy in the flank. The attack is devastating. The enemy are split asunder and swept from the slope. The pikemen halt and through their ranks a wave of archers moves forward to fire at the backs of the retreating foe. Retreat turns to rout as the Hammerlanders and Brigandi flee the field in chaos.</p>
1708       <choice idref="sect66"><link-text>Turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
1709      </data>
1710     </section>
1711
1712     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
1713      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
1714
1715      <data>
1716       <p>Stealthily you follow Paido through the dungeons of Torgar, using the shadows to avoid being seen. Ragged columns of slaves stumble along the passages, dragging their tortured, half-starved bodies to and from the work pits. They are beaten, cursed, and whipped relentlessly by their Drakkarim guards, who seem to delight in their suffering.</p>
1717       <illustration class="float">
1718        <meta>
1719         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1720         <description>Ragged columns of slaves stumble along the passages, beaten, cursed, and whipped by their Drakkarim guards.</description>
1721        </meta>
1722        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="668"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1723        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="668"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1724        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="668" />
1725       </illustration>
1726       <p>You emerge from a corridor into the shadows of a circular chamber, where a staircase ascends to a pair of huge triangular iron doors guarded by a squad of crack Drakkarim Death Knights. A tingling sensation electrifies your skin as your senses detect the presence of the Lorestones somewhere behind these doors. Suddenly an alarm bell fills the chamber with a deafening clangour; the Death Knights begin to descend the stairs and your stomach churns with the fear that you have been detected.</p>
1727       <choice idref="sect299">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Divination, <link-text>turn to 299</link-text>.</choice>
1728       <choice idref="sect52">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
1729      </data>
1730     </section>
1731
1732     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
1733      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
1734
1735      <data>
1736       <p>Curiosity overcomes your natural caution and you decide to investigate the fascinating structure. You discover that the undergrowth has only recently been chopped away to give access to the doors where gaping, fire-blackened holes are all that remain of the crystal locks that held them secure for centuries. Beyond the damaged doors a dry, dark tunnel slopes gently downwards. It twists as it descends to a chamber, which is huge and empty, and ringed by a score of openings. A green glow and the faint thrumming of discordant chanting draws you to one of these many portals. Beyond it a staircase delves deeper into the earth.</p>
1737       <p>As you make your way carefully downward, the air becomes increasingly humid and chill. The stairs are slick with moisture and crawling with spiders and other many-legged creatures that scuttle away from your feet. You count sixty steps before the staircase ends at a huge door stained black with damp and age. It is slightly ajar and, as you peer through the crack, you are chilled to the core by what lies beyond.</p>
1738       <choice idref="sect200"><link-text>Turn to 200</link-text>.</choice>
1739      </data>
1740     </section>
1741
1742     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
1743      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
1744
1745      <data>
1746       <p>You share an evening meal with a company of longbowmen camped close to the Prince<ch.apos/>s tent. Most of them are tired after the long day<ch.apos/>s march and when the meal is over they settle down to sleep. However, there are several who cannot sleep and, in order to take their minds off the coming battle, they busy themselves either by notching their arrows and waxing their bowstrings, or by gambling with dice. Two archers from Humbold invite you to join in their game.</p>
1747       <choice idref="sect218">If you wish to join their game of dice, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
1748       <choice idref="sect29">If you choose instead to return to the Prince<ch.apos/>s tent, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
1749      </data>
1750     </section>
1751
1752     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
1753      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
1754
1755      <data>
1756       <p>White-hot pain explodes through your chest and neck as three black-shafted Drakkarim arrows sink deep into your body. You scream in agony as you fall to the ground, but the pain quickly gives way to a terrifying numbness that robs you of all resistance to death.</p>
1757       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1758      </data>
1759     </section>
1760
1761     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
1762      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
1763
1764      <data>
1765       <p>The partisan leader listens patiently as you recount the many events that led you to seek his help. He sits staring into the fire, his eyes fixed on the flickering flames as he digests every word you say and considers their consequences carefully. At length, having heard your earnest appeal for him to guide you, he raises his eyes from the fire and holds you with their piercing gaze.</p>
1766       <p><quote>You speak with courage and wisdom, Kai Lord. It is rare to find these virtues present so strongly in one so young. The help you beg me to provide could cost my life, yet you offer no reward, save the thanks of some distant land and the slender promise of a better age. However, I feel compelled to help you, for in my heart I know you are the one who can deliver us from the perpetual shadow of the Darklords.</quote></p>
1767       <p>He rises and bids you follow him as he walks to the archway. <quote>Come, we must prepare for our journey. The road you wish to travel is perilous and long. We had best set off at the earliest, lest caution and common sense change my mind.</quote></p>
1768       <choice idref="sect85"><link-text>Turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
1769      </data>
1770     </section>
1771
1772     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
1773      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
1774
1775      <data>
1776       <p>Your psychic defences alert you to deadly danger. The swirling shapes that you see are the ghosts of Cener Druids who were slain on the isle many centuries ago.</p>
1777       <illustration class="inline">
1778        <meta>
1779         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1780        </meta>
1781        <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="95"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1782        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="95"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1783        <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="95" />
1784       </illustration>
1785       <p>They have been drawn from their forgotten graves by the presence of their master, Tagazin, and now they come to enact the Demonlord<ch.apos/>s revenge by feasting on your life-force.</p>
1786       <p>The creatures take to the air and emit a ghastly howl as they draw closer. They sense your strong psychic defences and know instinctively that to steal your life-force will not be an easy task.</p>
1787       <choice idref="sect133">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 133</link-text>.</choice>
1788       <choice idref="sect256">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1789      </data>
1790     </section>
1791
1792     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
1793      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
1794
1795      <data>
1796       <p>The ground to the west of Cetza is flat and featureless and offers very little cover to conceal your approach. Slowly you work your way through the knee-high grasses to within twenty yards of a stone bridge, where the roadway crosses a foul-smelling ditch and enters the town. Your every movement is stiff with caution now, for the bridge is barricaded and you can see the spiky black helmets of the enemy defenders glinting in the moonlight. Snake-like you wriggle forwards, slide down into the ditch and take shelter beneath the stone bridge. With one cheek pressed against the wet stone you strain your ears to hear what the enemy are saying. You recognize their harsh, ugly language<ch.emdash/>it is Giak<ch.emdash/>but it is being spoken by human voices. The only humans to speak it so fluently are the Death Knights, the <ch.eacute/>lite of the Drakkarim.</p>
1797       <illustration class="inline">
1798        <meta>
1799         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1800        </meta>
1801        <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1802        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1803        <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
1804       </illustration>
1805       <p>Suddenly there is a loud splash that sends your pulse racing: a spear has fallen close to where you are hiding and its shaft stands upright in the muddy water. A growling curse is followed by the sound of heavy boots descending the bank as an angry Death Knight comes to retrieve the weapon he dropped.</p>
1806       <choice idref="sect13">If you have completed the Lore-circle of Solaris, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1807       <p>If you do not possess mastery of this Lore-circle, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Invisibility, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
1808       <choice idref="sect107">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 107</link-text>.</choice>
1809       <choice idref="sect338">If it is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 338</link-text>.</choice>
1810      </data>
1811     </section>
1812
1813     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
1814      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
1815
1816      <data>
1817       <p>You smite the chain a mighty blow but you miss the rivet and the link does not break. Incensed by the boldness of your attack, and aware now of the threat it would have posed had it succeeded, the Demonlord leaps upon you and sinks his fangs deep into your chest. Pain explodes in your body but the agony is soon obliterated by the numbing chill of death.</p>
1818       <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1819      </data>
1820     </section>
1821
1822     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
1823      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
1824
1825      <data>
1826       <p>The Baron is shouting at the Krorn to form a line and get ready to advance. The only vulnerable part of his body that you can see as he strides back and forth before his troops is his unarmoured head.</p>
1827       <p>Coolly you draw an Arrow to your lips and aim at the nape of his neck.</p>
1828       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add to it any missile bonuses you may have.</p>
1829       <choice idref="sect9">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>7, <link-text>turn to 9</link-text>.</choice>
1830       <choice idref="sect272">If your total is now 8 or more, <link-text>turn to 272</link-text>.</choice>
1831      </data>
1832     </section>
1833
1834     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
1835      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
1836
1837      <data>
1838       <p>For an hour you sit staring at the river, mourning the loss of your brave companion. Your heart is heavy with the grief of his passing but you do not permit sorrow to become despair. You turn your eyes towards Torgar and defiantly you vow to avenge his death by retrieving the stolen Lorestones from the dungeons of that dread citadel.</p>
1839       <p>Your journey along the bank of the River Torg is a long and tiring ordeal. For eight days you trudge through the black mud, cut off from all view of the lands to the north and south by an unbroken wall of stunted trees. The only inhabitants of this forsaken territory are the buzzing insects which hang seemingly motionless in the humid air. They are a constant source of irritation but at least their bite proves harmless.</p>
1840       <p>On the morning of the ninth day, the muddy river bank gives way to firmer ground and the trees become less dense. Ahead you can see a barren expanse of yellow sulphurous soil that marks the beginning of the Nadulritzaga foothills. You can also see a road of broken stones disappearing into the distance.</p>
1841       <choice idref="sect140"><link-text>Turn to 140</link-text>.</choice>
1842      </data>
1843     </section>
1844
1845     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
1846      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
1847
1848      <data>
1849       <p>A sudden tumble of loose shale from the rim of the gorge alerts you to potential danger. You focus your eagle eyes on the rugged grey rocks above and catch sight of a pair of eyes staring down at you through a gap between two large boulders. Your stomach tightens. You feel trapped, and are about to spur your horse towards the mouth of the gorge and escape, when a voice calls down from above: <quote>Hail, Pathfinder! What news have you from Luomi?</quote></p>
1850       <choice idref="sect223">If you choose to answer the voice, <link-text>turn to 223</link-text>.</choice>
1851       <choice idref="sect134">If you decide to make a hasty escape from the gorge, <link-text>turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
1852      </data>
1853     </section>
1854
1855     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
1856      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
1857
1858      <data>
1859       <p>The shouts of the defenders and the metallic twang of the vanguard<ch.apos/>s crossbows echo across the causeway as you sprint headlong towards the door. A rain of boulders begins to fall, smashing around you with terrific force, but you manage to dodge these and reach your goal unscathed. Quickly you tear the satchel from your shoulder, prime the crystal explosive, and sprint back, counting the seconds with every step. Suddenly a terrific jolt throws you forward and a dull throbbing pain spreads across your back. A falling rock has clipped your shoulder blade and knocked you to the ground: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1860       <p>Desperation suppresses the pain and you scramble over the rampart with only one second to spare.</p>
1861       <choice idref="sect301"><link-text>Turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
1862      </data>
1863     </section>
1864
1865     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
1866      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
1867
1868      <data>
1869       <p>Cautiously you approach the edge of the pit and look down into its midnight depths. No light penetrates the blackness and no sounds can be heard in this seemingly bottomless abyss.</p>
1870       <p>Above you the Lorestones hang suspended in a ball of green flame, beyond reach from the ground but within a hand<ch.apos/>s breadth of the gantries which criss-cross above the pit.</p>
1871       <choice idref="sect249">If you wish to climb a gantry and attempt to retrieve the Lorestones from above, <link-text>turn to 249</link-text>.</choice>
1872       <choice idref="sect160">If you wish to examine the crystal rods, <link-text>turn to 160</link-text>.</choice>
1873       <choice idref="sect201">If you wish to search for a way of retrieving the Lorestones from below, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
1874      </data>
1875     </section>
1876
1877     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
1878      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
1879
1880      <data>
1881       <p>The third day of your voyage is accompanied by a cold west wind that blows across the desolate swamp and chills you to the bone. Clumps of twisted grey foliage line the channel along which you row, releasing nauseating clouds of gas as your bow-wave laps at their rotting roots. At length, you pass by these poisoned shrubs and reach a wider waterway where the current flows against you.</p>
1882       <p><quote>We must be getting near the Torg estuary,</quote> says Jarel, now having to labour at the oars in order to make headway. He continues for a few minutes more, and then, just as you are about to take your turn at rowing, the mouth of the River Torg looms into view.</p>
1883       <choice idref="sect209"><link-text>Turn to 209</link-text>.</choice>
1884      </data>
1885     </section>
1886
1887     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
1888      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
1889
1890      <data>
1891       <p>Your Magnakai sense tells you that the trail that climbs out of the valley is heading north. The town of Pirsi lies approximately thirty miles in that direction.</p>
1892       <choice idref="sect313">If you wish to take this trail and head north to Pirsi, <link-text>turn to 313</link-text>.</choice>
1893       <choice idref="sect18">If you choose to follow the track upstream towards the west, <link-text>turn to 18</link-text>.</choice>
1894      </data>
1895     </section>
1896
1897     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
1898      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
1899
1900      <data>
1901       <p>Having made sure that your pack and other equipment are securely fastened, you take a long run-up and leap feet-first across the gap.</p>
1902       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1903       <choice idref="sect154">If your total in now 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 154</link-text>.</choice>
1904       <choice idref="sect215">If it is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 215</link-text>.</choice>
1905      </data>
1906     </section>
1907
1908     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
1909      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
1910
1911      <data>
1912       <p>You recognize the pale, badly scarred features of Roark, lord of the Salonese town of Amory. He has aged much since your last meeting: his jet-black hair is now streaked with grey and he walks with a stoop, as if burdened by a heavy pack. But his eyes are still as cold and as cruel as they were when he attempted to kill you four years ago.</p>
1913       <choice idref="sect263"><link-text>Turn to 263</link-text>.</choice>
1914      </data>
1915     </section>
1916
1917     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
1918      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
1919
1920      <data>
1921       <p><quote>I come from King Sarnac,</quote> says the officer, his voice full of urgency. <quote>I must find your Prince and request that he commit his reserves at once in support of our knights assaulting the bridge. Our spearmen are already engaged in a desperate attack at the orchard and the rest of our retainers have been used to support our cavalry advance on the right flank. We have but less than 100 men left to save our noblemen, who are being slaughtered at the bridge.</quote></p>
1922       <p>You tell the officer where the Prince and his Palace Guard are fighting, of their victory, and of the desperate situation they now face. <quote>I understand,</quote> says the officer, sadly. <quote>I cannot expect the Prince to allow his reserves to be used when he needs them so urgently himself.</quote></p>
1923       <choice idref="sect49">If you wish to return and take command of the Prince<ch.apos/>s reserves, <link-text>turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
1924       <choice idref="sect148">If you wish to help the Lencian officer gather reinforcements to support the knights at the bridge, <link-text>turn to 148</link-text>.</choice>
1925      </data>
1926     </section>
1927
1928     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
1929      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
1930
1931      <footnotes>
1932       <footnote id="sect106-1-foot" idref="sect106-1">
1933        <p>It is unclear whether a Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet should protect you in this situation in lieu of the Discipline of Nexus.</p>
1934       </footnote>
1935      </footnotes>
1936
1937      <data>
1938       <p>You are dazzled by a brilliant flash as the two globes explode, scattering fragments that hiss like a host of fiery snakes into the Palmyrion ranks. The men-at-arms scream with pain and terror as the fragments burn everything they touch. You escape the worst of the blast, but the sleeve of your tunic is splashed with fragments and is now on fire.</p>
1939       <choice idref="sect2">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Nexus and have reached the Kai rank of Principalin or higher,<footref id="sect106-1" idref="sect106-1-foot"/> <link-text>turn to 2</link-text>.</choice>
1940       <choice idref="sect253">If you do not possess this skill, or if you have yet to reach this level of Magnakai training, <link-text>turn to 253</link-text>.</choice>
1941      </data>
1942     </section>
1943
1944     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
1945      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
1946
1947      <data>
1948       <p>With a splash, the Death Knight warrior appears, his massive frame filling the archway. He curses his clumsiness and snatches up his spear, but his curses turn to shouts of alarm when he sees you hiding beneath the bridge.</p>
1949       <choice idref="sect139">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-surge and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 139</link-text>.</choice>
1950       <choice idref="sect180">If you wish to attack this <ch.eacute/>lite Drakkarim soldier, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
1951       <choice idref="sect316">If you wish to escape from beneath the bridge and run for the safety of the allies<ch.apos/> camp, <link-text>turn to 316</link-text>.</choice>
1952      </data>
1953     </section>
1954
1955     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
1956      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
1957
1958      <data>
1959       <p>You ride along an overgrown cart track that descends to the ford. As you draw level with the first log hut, your horse rears up and whinnies as if sensing danger, and you are forced to tighten your grip of the reins for fear of being thrown. As you regain control of your mount there is a sudden shout and a hail of arrows comes whistling towards you.</p>
1960       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery and Animal Control, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1961       <choice idref="sect91">If your total is now 0<ch.endash/>1, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
1962       <choice idref="sect283">If it is 2<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
1963       <choice idref="sect153">If it is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 153</link-text>.</choice>
1964      </data>
1965     </section>
1966
1967     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
1968      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
1969
1970      <data>
1971       <p>At point-blank range your Arrow strikes the Drakkarim leader<ch.apos/>s armour with lethal force; it punches through the thick metal plate which protects his chest and skewers his heart. As he crashes to the ground, the other warriors draw their swords and rush forward to avenge his death.</p>
1972       <combat><enemy><ch.Eacute/>lite Death Knights</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">45</enemy-attribute></combat>
1973       <choice idref="sect162">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 162</link-text>.</choice>
1974      </data>
1975     </section>
1976
1977     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
1978      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
1979
1980      <data>
1981       <p>King Sarnac and a host of mounted knights block the road that leads to Blackshroud. They sit astride their warhorses, their armour dented and stained with the blood of the Baron<ch.apos/>s cavalry, all of whom they have slain in battle or put to flight. The Baron thunders towards them at breakneck speed, but the King and his knights remain grimly immobile, like a wall of tarnished steel. Slowly they lower their lances as the Baron speeds nearer and nearer. With a last defiant cry of anger, the Baron and his horse smash headlong into the line. There is a sickening screech of buckling metal and rearing horses, and then the Baron reappears, hoisted into the air, impaled on the tip of King Sarnac<ch.apos/>s lance.</p>
1982       <choice idref="sect300"><link-text>Turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1983      </data>
1984     </section>
1985
1986     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
1987      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
1988
1989      <data>
1990       <p>The captain smiles. Then he looks over your shoulder and nods to the owner. You hear a thin squeak followed by a rush of air as the crossbow bolt hurtles towards your back. Your Kai senses scream a warning and you respond by flattening yourself to the table. A look of abject terror barely has time to register on the captain<ch.apos/>s face before the speeding missile embeds itself between his startled eyes.</p>
1991       <p><quote>Get him!</quote> screams the owner, and three stocky drinkers rush forward with short swords held ready to strike. The first attacker loses his sword and the hand that holds it. As he reels back, screaming, the others exchange a fearful glance and halt in their tracks.</p>
1992       <choice idref="sect274">If you wish to advance and attack them, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
1993       <choice idref="sect68">If you decide to try to escape from the log tavern, <link-text>turn to 68</link-text>.</choice>
1994      </data>
1995     </section>
1996
1997     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
1998      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
1999
2000      <data>
2001       <p>You focus your Magnakai skill on the lumbering reptile and command it to retreat. It halts and raises its horned head, its hungry eyes regarding you with suspicion. Then, with a snort of disdain, it turns and crawls back into the tall grass.</p>
2002       <choice idref="sect144"><link-text>Turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
2003      </data>
2004     </section>
2005
2006     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2007      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2008
2009      <data>
2010       <p><quote>Meet your doom, Eruan scum!</quote> he sneers, as he strides across the square, his fearsome axe raised to strike. You lift the Sommerswerd and level it at his head; the blade shimmers gold as the sunlight catches upon its tip and charges it with power. A flicker of doubt passes across the Baron<ch.apos/>s eyes, but he shrugs aside his fear and continues to advance. With a roar like a howling gale the blade of his axe is transformed into a mass of scarlet flame that reeks of sulphurous decay.</p>
2011       <illustration class="float">
2012        <meta>
2013         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2014         <description><ch.lsquot/>Meet your doom, Eruan scum!<ch.rsquot/> he sneers, his fearsome axe raised to strike.</description>
2015        </meta>
2016        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="610"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2017        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="610"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2018        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="610" />
2019       </illustration>
2020       <combat><enemy>Baron Shinzar (with Ogg-kor-kaggaz)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">40</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">50</enemy-attribute></combat>
2021       <p>Intoxicated by the power of the weapon he wields, the Baron is immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge).</p>
2022       <choice idref="sect229">You may evade combat after three rounds; <link-text>turn to 229</link-text>.</choice>
2023       <choice idref="sect300">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2024      </data>
2025     </section>
2026
2027     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2028      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2029
2030      <data>
2031       <p>You see a dank dungeon cell and a prisoner sitting cross-legged on the cold stone floor. His dark skin is covered with tiny scars and his plaited flaxen hair is matted with grime and dried blood. Wearily he raises his head and his sharp cat-like eyes glint in the torchlight. At once you recognize his distinctive features: he is a Vakeros, a native warrior-magician of Dessi.</p>
2032       <p>You step back to examine the lock and notice that the key to this cell is hanging on a hook beside the door.</p>
2033       <choice idref="sect269">If you wish to open the cell and release the prisoner, <link-text>turn to 269</link-text>.</choice>
2034       <choice idref="sect189">If you decide to ignore him and continue, <link-text>turn to 189</link-text>.</choice>
2035      </data>
2036     </section>
2037
2038     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2039      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2040
2041      <data>
2042       <p>Prince Graygor<ch.apos/>s voice rings out above the din of battle as he orders the Palace Guard to charge the pikemen. The ground shakes beneath the pounding of the horses<ch.apos/> hooves as they gather speed, their pennons streaming from their levelled lances. The Drakkarim huddle shoulder to shoulder and nervously dig the butts of their pikes into the hillside to steady their shaky hands. The knights reach the hill. They thunder up the slope. A blaze of lightning hurtles from the top of the temple but it is mistimed: it crackles harmlessly over their heads and explodes behind them, hurling nothing but scorched earth into the sky. The Prince screams his battle-cry and the knights slam into the Drakkarim with a deafening roar. Men and metal howl in agony as the heavy horses break like a wave against the wall of pikes. You see a rider lifted out of his saddle on the point of a pike, and a ramp of black metal suddenly appears where a score of Drakkarim have been trampled into the ground. The Prince and a dozen of his bravest knights break through and gallop on towards the temple, but the Drakkarim quickly close ranks and seal the gap. The remaining Palace Guard are forced to a halt and engage the pikemen in fierce hand-to-hand combat.</p>
2043       <p>You reach the hill and leap over the steel-clad bodies that litter the slope. As you near the m<ch.ecirc/>l<ch.eacute/>e you see two Drakkarim rushing towards you from the side, their axes raised to hack you down. <quote>For Sommerlund!</quote> you cry, and turn to face their attack.</p>
2044       <combat><enemy>Drakkarim</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">22</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
2045       <choice idref="sect297">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
2046      </data>
2047     </section>
2048
2049     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2050      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2051
2052      <data>
2053       <p>The swirling mists draw in towards the marble block. They grow darker as they merge into a solid shape that resembles a huge, sabre-toothed jackal with smooth cream-coloured skin. Ice sheens on his muscular body and wisps of black smoke curl from his snuffling snout. Roark and his followers throw themselves to their knees and praise the creature devoutly. He responds by lowering his glowing eyes and regarding them with disdain.</p>
2054       <illustration class="float">
2055        <meta>
2056         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2057         <description>A huge, sabre-toothed jackal with cream-coloured skin regards them with disdain.</description>
2058        </meta>
2059        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="666"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2060        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="666"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2061        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="666" />
2062       </illustration>
2063       <p><quote>Why do you summon me here?</quote> he says, his voice deep and rasping. But before Roark can offer a reply, the Demonlord swivels his head in your direction and emits a fearful snarl.</p>
2064       <choice idref="sect26">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen, <link-text>turn to 26</link-text>.</choice>
2065       <choice idref="sect213">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
2066      </data>
2067     </section>
2068
2069     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2070      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2071
2072      <data>
2073       <p>The bear looks down at you kindly and raises its bloodstained paw. Gently it hooks a razor-sharp claw under the strap of your backpack and lifts you to your feet. Having just witnessed the power and ferocity of the creature, you are amazed at how tame it has become under the influence of your Kai Mastery. Suddenly something in the air disturbs him and you sense that he wants to leave this place, and he wants you to follow.</p>
2074       <choice idref="sect58">If you wish to follow the bear, <link-text>turn to 58</link-text>.</choice>
2075       <choice idref="sect3">If not, <link-text>turn to 3</link-text>.</choice>
2076      </data>
2077     </section>
2078
2079     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2080      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2081
2082      <data>
2083       <p>The sergeant screams an order and his men lunge forward, hoping to skewer you with their long straight swords. Coolly you parry their first attack and retreat just far enough to prevent them from getting behind you. With a yell of anger and frustration, the sergeant urges his men to attack you once more.</p>
2084       <combat><enemy>Partisan Horsemen</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">28</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
2085       <p>If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Animal Control, add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the fight.</p>
2086       <choice idref="sect39">You can evade combat after two rounds of fighting; <link-text>turn to 39</link-text>.</choice>
2087       <choice idref="sect239">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
2088      </data>
2089     </section>
2090
2091     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2092      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2093
2094      <data>
2095       <p>You draw an Arrow and let it fly at the leading creature. It pierces its hairless skull and sends it reeling into the bushes. The others gurgle their displeasure and fix you with their murderous black eyes as they make ready to rush forward and attack.</p>
2096       <combat><enemy>Krorn</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">20</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">33</enemy-attribute></combat>
2097       <choice idref="sect84">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 84</link-text>.</choice>
2098      </data>
2099     </section>
2100
2101     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2102      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2103
2104      <data>
2105       <p>The hoarse cries of soldiers and the blare of war trumpets announce preparations for an assault across the causeway. Armoured infantry gather in a spearhead formation and wait for the order to advance towards a wall of logs and earth, which has been thrown up to protect the vanguard troops dug in on the causeway itself. These warriors scuttle about behind their ramparts, holding arched wooden shields over their bent backs to protect them against the arrows raining down from the battlements. The iron gate stands less than fifty yards from their position, and this approach is heaped with the bodies of those who have fallen during previous assaults.</p>
2106       <p>You accompany Lord Adamas as he makes his way through the massed ranks of infantry and enters a trench which zigzags towards the causeway. He stops at a log-lined hollow dug out of the trench wall and speaks with a captain who is lying there nursing a broken arm. The wounded officer hands him his leather satchel, and Adamas continues along the trench until he reaches the centre of the causeway. There you both take cover with the vanguard and peer through a slit in the log wall at the formidable entrance to Torgar.</p>
2107       <choice idref="sect78"><link-text>Turn to 78</link-text>.</choice>
2108      </data>
2109     </section>
2110
2111     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2112      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2113
2114      <data>
2115       <p>Instinct saves you from sudden death. You twist aside to avoid the speeding shaft and it grazes your shoulder: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. But your enemy is now determined that you should die and hastily he reloads his bow.</p>
2116       <choice idref="sect36">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 36</link-text>.</choice>
2117       <choice idref="sect277">If you wish to dive for cover among the ruins, <link-text>turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
2118       <choice idref="sect155">If you wish to evade the sniper by running along an alley to your left, <link-text>turn to 155</link-text>.</choice>
2119      </data>
2120     </section>
2121
2122     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2123      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2124
2125      <data>
2126       <p>When the horsemen catch sight of you they unsheathe their swords and bring their steeds to a halt. Their leader dismounts and approaches you with trepidation, his gleaming steel blade held ready in case of trickery. With nervous eyes he studies your travel-stained tunic while his men scour the surrounding hills.</p>
2127       <p><quote>What<ch.apos/>s your regiment, soldier?</quote> he demands gruffly. You return his strong stare and notice that he and his men are wearing red and grey surcoats embroidered with the emblem of an open hand. The only horsemen who wear this livery are the cavalry of Talestria.</p>
2128       <choice idref="sect82">If you wish to tell the officer that you are an Eruan Pathfinder, <link-text>turn to 82</link-text>.</choice>
2129       <choice idref="sect339">If you decide to tell him that you are a Sommlending Kai Lord, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
2130       <choice idref="sect151">If you choose not to answer him at all, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
2131      </data>
2132     </section>
2133
2134     <section class="numbered" id="sect123">
2135      <meta><title>123</title></meta>
2136
2137      <data>
2138       <p>The jump is made more hazardous by a tangle of trees and roots that cover the far side of the chasm. However, these obstacles do offer a secure anchor for a rope.</p>
2139       <choice idref="sect48">If you have a Rope and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 48</link-text>.</choice>
2140       <choice idref="sect317">If not, <link-text>turn to 317</link-text>.</choice>
2141      </data>
2142     </section>
2143
2144     <section class="numbered" id="sect124">
2145      <meta><title>124</title></meta>
2146
2147      <data>
2148       <p>Silently you move through the shallow sludge of water and mud, hidden by the bank of the ditch from the watchful eyes of the Drakkarim sentries. Beyond the ditch the ground rises to a low wall, which encircles a field of cultivated trees. It is an apple orchard and it is full of enemy soldiers, huddled around their campfires or asleep beneath the fruit-laden branches. Beyond the orchard lies an expanse of open grassland covered with tents and makeshift paddocks full of horses. Here, then, are Baron Shinzar<ch.apos/>s reinforcements<ch.emdash/>over 600 cavalry newly-arrived from Blackshroud. You commit every detail to memory before leaving the ditch and making your way back stealthily to the allies<ch.apos/> camp.</p>
2149       <p>The King and Prince Graygor praise the success of your scouting mission: the information you have gathered is of vital importance to their battle plans. The Prince senses that you are tired and orders his heralds to escort you back to his headquarters and prepare a comfortable bed for you. After the long day<ch.apos/>s march and the exertions of your scouting mission, you accept gratefully the chance of a good night<ch.apos/>s sleep.</p>
2150       <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
2151      </data>
2152     </section>
2153
2154     <section class="numbered" id="sect125">
2155      <meta><title>125</title></meta>
2156
2157      <data>
2158       <p>Your journey northwards through the Moggador Forest is a long and tiring trek that is fraught with danger. Roving bands of Krorn and packs of savage timber wolves demand that you remain vigilant at all times, and as you venture deeper into their vast domain, you feel your sense of time gradually slipping away. Your only consolation on this long and lonely trek is that wild game is plentiful and you experience no shortage of food.</p>
2159       <p>On the morning of your ninth day in the forest you notice that the grey pines are beginning to thin out and the ground is becoming dusty and sparsely vegetated. Soon you come upon a road constructed of broken stones which leaves the forest and disappears into a barren landscape of yellow sulphurous soil. You check your <a idref="map">map</a> and it confirms your suspicions: you have reached the foothills of the Nadulritzaga Mountains and are now less than twenty miles from the fortress of Torgar.</p>
2160       <choice idref="sect140"><link-text>Turn to 140</link-text>.</choice>
2161      </data>
2162     </section>
2163
2164     <section class="numbered" id="sect126">
2165      <meta><title>126</title></meta>
2166
2167      <data>
2168       <p>Baron Shinzar snarls an order and the Krorn pack moves towards you. They are not as tall as their leader but almost twice as broad, with arms like branches of a twisted tree that hang down below their knees. Awkwardly they shuffle on short bow legs, their gnarled skin shiny like knotted leather. A shiver runs down your spine as you recall what you have heard about these creatures<ch.emdash/>that they delight in eating their foes<ch.emdash/>but as they draw nearer you dismiss such thoughts and prepare for combat.</p>
2169       <illustration class="float">
2170        <meta>
2171         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2172         <description>The Krorn pack shuffle towards you on short bow legs, their gnarled skin shiny like knotted leather.</description>
2173        </meta>
2174        <instance class="html" src="ill8.png" width="386" height="602"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2175        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill8.gif" width="386" height="602"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2176        <instance class="pdf" src="ill8.pdf" width="386" height="602" />
2177       </illustration>
2178       <combat><enemy>Krorn Pack</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">23</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">60</enemy-attribute></combat>
2179       <choice idref="sect11">If you win the combat, and the fight lasts four rounds or less, <link-text>turn to 11</link-text>.</choice>
2180       <choice idref="sect321">If you win, and the fight lasts longer than four rounds, <link-text>turn to 321</link-text>.</choice>
2181      </data>
2182     </section>
2183
2184     <section class="numbered" id="sect127">
2185      <meta><title>127</title></meta>
2186
2187      <data>
2188       <p>A short distance from Lord Adamas<ch.apos/> tent stands a wooden watchtower, constructed by his army engineers, which offers an unobstructed view of the causeway and the great gate of Torgar. As you reach the top of its rickety ladder and step onto the platform beside the Lord Constable, he recounts the events that have led to the siege of this city-fortress.</p>
2189       <p>Following his victory over the Ogians and the destruction of Xanar, Adamas led the allied armies of Bor, Talestria, and Palmyrion along the Blackshroud Trail in pursuit of the shattered enemy. When they reached the <foreign xml:lang="x-giak">Agna-kor-kuzim</foreign>, the <quote>road of slaves</quote>, the army of Bor was detached and sent to assail Blackshroud from the east, while the bulk of the allied forces marched north towards Torgar. When Talestria was overrun in the early days of the war, thousands of her people were taken as slaves and imprisoned here in this fortress. Lord Adamas had sworn that one day he would free them and he was determined to fulfil his pledge.</p>
2190       <p>During the march north, a great battle was fought near the wastelands of Zuttezna, against two Giak armies led by Darklord Kraagensk<ch.ucirc/>l and Darklord Chlanzor. Both were soundly defeated by the allies and sent back to Cragmantle to lick their wounds. Although victorious at Zuttezna, the allies had suffered heavy losses and Adamas feared they would be too weak to storm Torgar. He was too far from his homeland for reinforcements to reach him swiftly, and there was the growing threat that the Darklords would muster their troops in Tanoz and Mozg<ch.ocirc/>ar and attack again. Faced with this grave dilemma he decided to risk an assault on Torgar.</p>
2191       <p><quote>We have means to breach their iron gate,</quote> he says, staring purposefully at the great door of Torgar. <quote>The Elder Magi have given us a device that will reduce it to twisted scrap, and when we march through that portal and free our people, we shall have all the reinforcements we need.</quote></p>
2192       <choice idref="sect120"><link-text>Turn to 120</link-text>.</choice>
2193      </data>
2194     </section>
2195
2196     <section class="numbered" id="sect128">
2197      <meta><title>128</title></meta>
2198
2199      <data>
2200       <p>The clasp that secures the amulet to the black chain around Tagazin<ch.apos/>s neck is a riveted link of iron. To break this link you must strike a blow that will destroy the rivet.</p>
2201       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If the weapon you are using is a dagger or a quarterstaff, deduct 3 from the number you have picked. If the weapon you are using is an axe or a mace, add 1 to the number. If you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, add 2 to the number.</p>
2202       <choice idref="sect95">If your total is now 6 or less, <link-text>turn to 95</link-text>.</choice>
2203       <choice idref="sect233">If it is 7 or more, <link-text>turn to 233</link-text>.</choice>
2204      </data>
2205     </section>
2206
2207     <section class="numbered" id="sect129">
2208      <meta><title>129</title></meta>
2209
2210      <data>
2211       <p>You push open the tower door with your foot and a splash of morning sunlight illuminates the gloomy interior. Slowly the man raises his weather-browned face and a smile softens his craggy features as he recognizes the uniform you are wearing.</p>
2212       <p><quote>Welcome, Pathfinder,</quote> he says, his thick Eruan accent echoing around the empty stone chamber. <quote>I am Halgar of Pirsi. Come and share my humble feast in celebration of our victory over the Drakkarim.</quote></p>
2213       <p>He splits the roasted bird in two and tosses half to you. It tastes delicious. <quote>I saw you approaching,</quote> he says, wiping away the grease from his mouth with the back of a calloused hand, <quote>and I wagered you would stop to breakfast here. Where are you bound?</quote></p>
2214       <p>You hesitate to answer, but your basic Kai Sixth Sense tells you that this man is no trickster. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m riding to Pirsi. I<ch.apos/>ve orders to contact Sebb Jarel,</quote> you reply, hoping he will offer to tell you where the partisan leader may be found. Halgar narrows his sea-green eyes and strokes his chin thoughtfully.</p>
2215       <choice idref="sect331">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Invisibility, <link-text>turn to 331</link-text>.</choice>
2216       <choice idref="sect267">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
2217      </data>
2218     </section>
2219
2220     <section class="numbered" id="sect130">
2221      <meta><title>130</title></meta>
2222
2223      <data>
2224       <p>You examine the lock and recognize its simple latch mechanism.</p>
2225       <choice idref="sect328">If you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Nexus, <link-text>turn to 328</link-text>.</choice>
2226       <choice idref="sect142">If you possess a Dagger, <link-text>turn to 142</link-text>.</choice>
2227       <choice idref="sect17">If you possess neither this skill nor this Weapon, <link-text>turn to 17</link-text>.</choice>
2228      </data>
2229     </section>
2230
2231     <section class="numbered" id="sect131">
2232      <meta><title>131</title></meta>
2233
2234      <data>
2235       <p>You draw an Arrow and take aim at an archer just as he raises his bow to fire at you. Your shaft beats his: it buries itself in his chest and sends him spinning to the ground. Quickly you note that of the five men advancing towards you two are armed with bows.</p>
2236       <choice idref="sect344">If you have at least two Arrows in your Quiver and wish to fire at these men, <link-text>turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
2237       <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to try to escape by crossing the ford, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
2238       <choice idref="sect251">If you decide to shoulder your Bow and draw a hand weapon, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
2239      </data>
2240     </section>
2241
2242     <section class="numbered" id="sect132">
2243      <meta><title>132</title></meta>
2244
2245      <data>
2246       <p>The men glare at you uncertainly. <quote>If you<ch.apos/>ve come here to kill me,</quote> says the pretender, <quote>you<ch.apos/>ve come on a suicide mission.</quote></p>
2247       <p>Slowly the five rise to their feet and step away from the fire, their hands drifting casually towards the hilts of their swords. On a whispered cue they unsheathe their blades and attack you.</p>
2248       <combat><enemy>Partisans</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">24</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
2249       <choice idref="sect23">You can evade combat at any time; <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
2250       <choice idref="sect170">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
2251      </data>
2252     </section>
2253
2254     <section class="numbered" id="sect133">
2255      <meta><title>133</title></meta>
2256
2257      <data>
2258       <p>You draw the Sommerswerd and hold the shimmering blade before your face. The phantoms give a ghastly shriek as its golden light scorches the unnatural fabric of their forms. Unused to the sensation of pain, they recoil but they do not disperse or abandon their attack. Their need to feed on your life-force overcomes their fear of your sword. With a terrifying howl of anger they swirl around you and swoop down to attack.</p>
2259       <combat><enemy>Cener Ghosts</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">32</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
2260       <p>These undead beings are immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Remember to double all <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses sustained by the enemy due to the power of the Sommerswerd.</p>
2261       <choice idref="sect156">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
2262      </data>
2263     </section>
2264
2265     <section class="numbered" id="sect134">
2266      <meta><title>134</title></meta>
2267
2268      <data>
2269       <p>You dig your heels into the flanks of your horse but he reacts sluggishly: his senses have been dulled by the heady aroma of the flowers and he has barely enough strength to canter. A whirring sound fills your ears and instinctively you flatten yourself against the horse<ch.apos/>s neck as the sound grows louder. A bolas, three solid metal balls connected by strong cords tied together in the shape of a letter <quote>Y</quote>, skims your scalp and smashes into the base of the gorge. Frantically you urge your horse onwards, but he stumbles and his forelegs buckle beneath him. You are thrown forward and concussed as your head hits the ground: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2270       <choice idref="sect214">If you possess a Bullwhip, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
2271       <choice idref="sect327">If you do not have this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2272      </data>
2273     </section>
2274
2275     <section class="numbered" id="sect135">
2276      <meta><title>135</title></meta>
2277
2278      <data>
2279       <p>Inch by inch you climb the sheer rock wall, transferring your weight from one hollow to the next with painstaking care. The higher you climb, the more you have to support yourself solely with your fingers until, at last, you reach up and take hold of a trailing mass of tree roots, which are strong enough to hold your weight. With great effort you haul yourself out of the chasm and collapse into the undergrowth: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2280       <p>As soon as your strength returns, you check your equipment and advance deeper into the eerie forest.</p>
2281       <choice idref="sect50"><link-text>Turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
2282      </data>
2283     </section>
2284
2285     <section class="numbered" id="sect136">
2286      <meta><title>136</title></meta>
2287
2288      <data>
2289       <p>The Death Knights tramp past your hiding place and hurry out of the chamber. Paido breathes a sigh of relief as the sound of their heavy footfalls is quickly lost in the noise of the alarm bell; but only when you are sure you are alone do you leave your hiding place and approach the triangular doors.</p>
2290       <choice idref="sect230"><link-text>Turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
2291      </data>
2292     </section>
2293
2294     <section class="numbered" id="sect137">
2295      <meta><title>137</title></meta>
2296
2297      <data>
2298       <p>On the hill the Drakkarim are beginning to falter; they are no match for the Palace Guard, the cream of the Eruan army. As their casualties escalate their line crumbles and suddenly they turn to flee in disarray towards the town. An explosion rumbles across the field and a billowing cloud of black smoke rises from the temple. Your stomach churns and you fear the worst as smoke and debris pour from the ruins like an erupting volcano. Then, as quickly as it began, the eruption subsides and the smoke clears to reveal a triumphant Prince Graygor, clutching the Eruan flag and exhorting his troops to victory. The Palace Guard have captured the hill, and the sorcery that threatened to destroy them has been smashed. But from where you stand you can see a new threat fast approaching the Prince and his men, a threat that could kill them all.</p>
2299       <choice idref="sect270"><link-text>Turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
2300      </data>
2301     </section>
2302
2303     <section class="numbered" id="sect138">
2304      <meta><title>138</title></meta>
2305
2306      <data>
2307       <p>With breathtaking speed you clear the rampart and reach the stunned Adamas. Rocks continue to crash down but you ignore the danger as you drag the injured lord to safety with just one second to spare.</p>
2308       <choice idref="sect301"><link-text>Turn to 301</link-text>.</choice>
2309      </data>
2310     </section>
2311
2312     <section class="numbered" id="sect139">
2313      <meta><title>139</title></meta>
2314
2315      <data>
2316       <p>You draw on your psychic energy and launch a pulse of psi-power at his mind. He staggers backwards, his mailed fists clenched to the sides of his black helm as your attack rakes his nervous system. But he is inured to pain. His years of training in the combat pits of Blackshroud have tempered his nerves so that he can withstand agonies that would destroy an ordinary man. He regains his balance and raises his spear to strike.</p>
2317       <choice idref="sect180">If you wish to stand and fight this warrior, <link-text>turn to 180</link-text>.</choice>
2318       <choice idref="sect316">If you choose to evade combat, <link-text>turn to 316</link-text>.</choice>
2319      </data>
2320     </section>
2321
2322     <section class="numbered" id="sect140">
2323      <meta><title>140</title></meta>
2324
2325      <data>
2326       <p>After a week of trekking across difficult terrain, the firm surface of the hill track feels as smooth as a mirror beneath your aching feet. By noon you have put ten miles behind you and have reached a bridge which crosses a sickly yellow stream flowing down from the surrounding hills. You must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2327       <p>You are about to continue your journey across the bridge when you hear a rumble of hoofbeats and see a group of horsemen, shrouded in dust, riding along the road towards you.</p>
2328       <choice idref="sect12">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery and have reached the rank of Principalin or higher, <link-text>turn to 12</link-text>.</choice>
2329       <choice idref="sect122">If you do not possess this skill or have yet to reach this level of Magnakai training, you can either wait for these riders to reach you; <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
2330       <choice idref="sect322">Or hide beneath the bridge; <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
2331      </data>
2332     </section>
2333
2334     <section class="numbered" id="sect141">
2335      <meta><title>141</title></meta>
2336
2337      <data>
2338       <p>The bore-hole is cramped and you can progress only by crawling along on your hands and knees. A gentle breeze stirs the dust at the base of the shaft and a faint glow in the distance sheds just enough light for you to be able to see your way ahead. Gradually the slope becomes steeper and you are forced to climb a crude staircase formed by jagged outcrops of rock. Above you see a strip of daylight and it draws you upward with its promise of escape.</p>
2339       <illustration class="inline">
2340        <meta>
2341         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2342        </meta>
2343        <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2344        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2345        <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2346       </illustration>
2347       <p>As you climb nearer to the opening you hear a hissing sound off to your right. Instantly you freeze as you catch sight of a black serpent, its jaw open and its venomous fangs glinting in the gloom of a hollow. It is coiled upon a nest of eggs less than an arm<ch.apos/>s length from your face.</p>
2348       <choice idref="sect35">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Animal Control, <link-text>turn to 35</link-text>.</choice>
2349       <choice idref="sect235">If you wish to ignore the snake and continue your climb, <link-text>turn to 235</link-text>.</choice>
2350       <choice idref="sect135">If you decide to retreat along the bore-hole and attempt to climb the chasm wall instead, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
2351      </data>
2352     </section>
2353
2354     <section class="numbered" id="sect142">
2355      <meta><title>142</title></meta>
2356
2357      <footnotes>
2358       <footnote id="sect142-1-foot" idref="sect142-1">
2359        <p>Taking comments originally published in <cite><a href="http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn6">Lone Wolf Club Newsletter No.6</a></cite> as a precedent, you should lose the Dagger of Vashna here if you are not carrying at least one ordinary non-magical Dagger.</p>
2360        <p>Alternatively, given the significance of the Dagger of Vashna, you may also reasonably choose to ignore the instruction to destroy the Dagger of Vashna even if that is the only Dagger you are carrying.</p>
2361       </footnote>
2362      </footnotes>
2363
2364      <data>
2365       <p>It takes several minutes to pick the lock using your dagger, and in doing so you snap the tip off and ruin the blade: delete this Weapon from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.<footref id="sect142-1" idref="sect142-1-foot"/></p>
2366       <p>The door opens on to a passageway lined with torches. Halfway along the left wall you see another door<ch.emdash/>a solid slab of iron broken only by a small, barred window. Silently you approach it and peer in through the grille.</p>
2367       <choice idref="sect260">If you have visited the Danarg in a previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventure, <link-text>turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
2368       <choice idref="sect114">If not, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
2369      </data>
2370     </section>
2371
2372     <section class="numbered" id="sect143">
2373      <meta><title>143</title></meta>
2374
2375      <data>
2376       <p>The warrior stoops to snatch up the shimmering rod but the Prince leaps forward and kicks it from his grasp. His action costs him dearly, for when his foot touches the stave a blast of searing flame scorches his leg and hurls him backwards to the ground. You rush forward and block the warrior<ch.apos/>s attempt to scurry after his weapon. Cursing vilely, he snatches a dagger from his belt and launches himself at your throat.</p>
2377       <combat><enemy>Ziran</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">25</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">33</enemy-attribute></combat>
2378       <choice idref="sect56">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 56</link-text>.</choice>
2379      </data>
2380     </section>
2381
2382     <section class="numbered" id="sect144">
2383      <meta><title>144</title></meta>
2384
2385      <data>
2386       <p>That night you make camp in a stone hut. It is little better than a hovel but at least it provides shelter from the rain, which begins to fall shortly after dark and is still falling when you set off again at dawn. The dull grey hours pass uneventfully until the wooded shoreline gradually gives way to a wilderness of slime-laden mud flats and twisted, petrified trees. Here the current is weak and you are forced to row in order to make progress through the brown, scum-flecked water. Jarel sits at the prow, his wolfskin cloak drawn close around his shoulders to keep out the chill rain. He stares fixedly ahead as he guides you through the narrow channels that bisect this evil-smelling swamp. Twice you find yourselves caught in watery <foreign xml:lang="fr">culs-de-sac</foreign> and have to retrace your course, but as the light begins to fade you catch sight of an island that promises firm mooring and a place to camp overnight.</p>
2387       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2388       <choice idref="sect59">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2389       <choice idref="sect259">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 259</link-text>.</choice>
2390      </data>
2391     </section>
2392
2393     <section class="numbered" id="sect145">
2394      <meta><title>145</title></meta>
2395
2396      <data>
2397       <p>Halgar falls heavily to his knees, the blood oozing thickly between his fingers as life deserts him. With a gurgling croak he stiffens and drops sideways into the fire, smothering the embers and filling the air with the smell of scorched leather. At your feet lies the cruelly fashioned Bullwhip, and nearby you discover a backpack. Flicking open the buckle, you tip the contents out onto the grimy stone floor. The pack contains the following items:</p>
2398       <ul>
2399        <li>Leather Pouch containing 36 Lune (9 Gold Crowns)</li>
2400        <li>Torch</li>
2401        <li>Tinder Box</li>
2402        <li>Bottle of Water</li>
2403       </ul>
2404       <p>You may keep any or all of these items. If you decide to keep the Bullwhip, mark it on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item.</p>
2405       <p>Set into the floor you discover a wooden trapdoor that gives access to an empty cellar. You hide the body in the cellar before remounting your horse, crossing the bridge, and continuing your ride to Pirsi.</p>
2406       <choice idref="sect75"><link-text>Turn to 75</link-text>.</choice>
2407      </data>
2408     </section>
2409
2410     <section class="numbered" id="sect146">
2411      <meta><title>146</title></meta>
2412
2413      <data>
2414       <p>The smell of their blood makes your stomach heave, but your grim labour does not go unrewarded. Inside the bushes you discover their catch of fish. There are enough speckled trout here for 5 Meals. If you take any of the fish remember to record them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
2415       <choice idref="sect335">To cross the river and continue, <link-text>turn to 335</link-text>.</choice>
2416      </data>
2417     </section>
2418
2419     <section class="numbered" id="sect147">
2420      <meta><title>147</title></meta>
2421
2422      <data>
2423       <p>With terrifying ease the Demonlord throws open the stone door, which splits asunder as it slams against the temple wall. You release your Arrow and send it burrowing deep into the creature<ch.apos/>s chest. The Demonlord laughs mockingly and plucks the shaft from his body as if it were no more of an irritation than a tiny splinter. No blood oozes from the wound and the puncture seals itself quickly to leave no mark on the creamy skin of the supernatural creature.</p>
2424       <p><quote>Surrender yourself, mortal!</quote> he commands. <quote>And I shall spare you the agonies of death.</quote></p>
2425       <choice idref="sect286">If you possess the Sommerswerd, <link-text>turn to 286</link-text>.</choice>
2426       <choice idref="sect333">If you do not possess this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 333</link-text>.</choice>
2427      </data>
2428     </section>
2429
2430     <section class="numbered" id="sect148">
2431      <meta><title>148</title></meta>
2432
2433      <data>
2434       <p>Both you and the Lencian officer, whose name is Captain Prarg, ride back and forth, rallying the few soldiers left to support the hard-pressed knights locked in battle at the bridge. A motley company of crossbowmen, halberdiers, wounded men-at-arms, wagon drivers, cooks, heralds, and battle-shocked pikemen are finally assembled, and they march forward with their shields raised and their weapons poised.</p>
2435       <p>On your left, the Prince<ch.apos/>s reserves respond to a signal from the hill and advance to support their leader. On your right, massed ranks of Lencian spearmen are locked in pitched combat the length of the orchard wall. As you near the bridge you encounter the bodies of those slain by the crackling rays of electric fire. The sight of their tortured forms, weapons fused in their lifeless hands, sends a wave of shock through your company. <quote>Forward, men!</quote> shouts Captain Prarg. <quote>Raise your eyes and advance!</quote></p>
2436       <p>The bridge looms out of the battle-smoke ahead and your men surge towards the macabre struggle taking place. The bodies of the dead lie six deep, covering the whole area of the approach and filling the ditch on either side. War-cries roar with harsh anger and the air is alive with the clangour of striking steel and the howl of violent death.</p>
2437       <illustration class="float">
2438        <meta>
2439         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2440         <description>A Drakkarim Death Knight draws back his weapon and prepares to strike at your neck.</description>
2441        </meta>
2442        <instance class="html" src="ill9.png" width="386" height="586"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2443        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill9.gif" width="386" height="586"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2444        <instance class="pdf" src="ill9.pdf" width="386" height="586" />
2445       </illustration>
2446       <p><quote>Charge!</quote> you shout, and the company pours across the bridge. Reinforced by fresh troops, the knights finally break through the barricade and into the streets beyond. The struggle grows ever more intense as the Drakkarim defenders throw themselves into the fray with total disregard for their lives. One such defender, an <ch.eacute/>lite Drakkarim Death Knight, hacks his way through the leading pikemen and slays your horse with one terrible blow of his two-handed axe. As you fall, he draws back his weapon, its razor-sharp blade trailing scarlet spray, and prepares to strike at your neck.</p>
2447       <combat><enemy>Death Knight</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">24</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
2448       <p>Owing to his state of battle-frenzy, your enemy is immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge).</p>
2449       <choice idref="sect206">If you win the combat <link-text>turn to 206</link-text>.</choice>
2450      </data>
2451     </section>
2452
2453     <section class="numbered" id="sect149">
2454      <meta><title>149</title></meta>
2455
2456      <data>
2457       <p>Your Arrow grazes one of the magicians and thuds into the shield of a Drakkarim warrior standing behind him. The wound is superficial and it does not prevent the magician from hurling his sphere at the Palmyrions.</p>
2458       <choice idref="sect106"><link-text>Turn to 106</link-text>.</choice>
2459      </data>
2460     </section>
2461
2462     <section class="numbered" id="sect150">
2463      <meta><title>150</title></meta>
2464
2465      <data>
2466       <p>The foot knights of Lencia are the first to go forward, their densely packed columns marching in perfect order towards the bridge at the centre of the enemy line. As they come within range there is a sound like rushing water and a cloud of black arrows pours down on their armoured ranks. Huge gaps appear in the line and the columns seem to sway under the impact before continuing the assault. They are flanked to the south by crossbowmen, who are firing their weapons as they advance. Unlike the knights, they wear very little armour and over half their number are felled by arrows when they halt to reload their cumbersome bows. The survivors retreat, taking cover among the massed ranks of Lencian spearmen who are advancing towards the orchard.</p>
2467       <p>Prince Graygor signals to his pikemen and men-at-arms to support the Lencian knights, who are engaged in a bitter hand-to-hand fight at the stone bridge. They are within 100 yards of the bridge when a crackling ray of electric fire sweeps down from the ruins of the temple. It rips through their packed ranks with devastating effect, blasting the pikemen high into the air.</p>
2468       <choice idref="sect323">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Divination and have reached the rank of Tutelary or higher, <link-text>turn to 323</link-text>.</choice>
2469       <choice idref="sect258">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery and have reached the rank of Principalin or higher, <link-text>turn to 258</link-text>.</choice>
2470       <choice idref="sect42">If you have neither of these skills or have yet to reach these levels of Magnakai training, <link-text>turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
2471      </data>
2472     </section>
2473
2474     <section class="numbered" id="sect151">
2475      <meta><title>151</title></meta>
2476
2477      <data>
2478       <p>The officer shrugs his shoulders and climbs back onto his horse. <quote>He<ch.apos/>s probably an outlaw or a deserter from the Eruan army,</quote> he says to his men. <quote>Either way we must ride on; we<ch.apos/>ve wasted too much time here already.</quote></p>
2479       <p>He spurs his horse forward and you are forced to leap aside as the riders surge across the bridge and disappear along the road that leads to the Moggador Forest.</p>
2480       <choice idref="sect179"><link-text>Turn to 179</link-text>.</choice>
2481      </data>
2482     </section>
2483
2484     <section class="numbered" id="sect152">
2485      <meta><title>152</title></meta>
2486
2487      <data>
2488       <p>The captain nods to the owner. You hear a <onomatopoeia>click</onomatopoeia> followed by a rush of air as the crossbow bolt hurtles towards your back. Your senses scream a warning and you respond by hurling yourself onto the floor. A look of terror barely has time to register on the captain<ch.apos/>s face before the speeding missile embeds itself between his startled eyes.</p>
2489       <p><quote>Get him!</quote> shouts the owner, and three stocky drinkers rush forward with short swords held ready to strike. The first attacker loses his sword and the hand that holds it. As he reels back, screaming, the others exchange a fearful glance and halt in their tracks.</p>
2490       <choice idref="sect274">If you wish to advance and attack them, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
2491       <choice idref="sect68">If you wish to try to escape from the log tavern, <link-text>turn to 68</link-text>.</choice>
2492      </data>
2493     </section>
2494
2495     <section class="numbered" id="sect153">
2496      <meta><title>153</title></meta>
2497
2498      <data>
2499       <p>The arrows screech past on all sides but your lightning reactions save you and your mount from their merciless bite. You dig in your heels, urging your horse on towards the ford, but as you are about to enter the shallows an arrow buries itself deep in your horse<ch.apos/>s neck. He shrieks in pain and crashes to his knees, hurling you into the river. You gulp a mouthful of the icy water and struggle to your feet, coughing and cursing, just in time to see your ambushers pour out of the nearest hut and advance towards you. Some are reloading their bows as they run.</p>
2500       <choice idref="sect131">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 131</link-text>.</choice>
2501       <choice idref="sect166">If you wish to try to escape by wading across the ford, <link-text>turn to 166</link-text>.</choice>
2502       <choice idref="sect251">If you wish to draw a hand weapon and prepare for combat, <link-text>turn to 251</link-text>.</choice>
2503      </data>
2504     </section>
2505
2506     <section class="numbered" id="sect154">
2507      <meta><title>154</title></meta>
2508
2509      <data>
2510       <p>You land with a jolt at the edge of the chasm, but the soil is dry and flaky and disintegrates on impact. Frantically you make a grab for a tangle of roots and hold fast as your legs swing wildly in the void. But the weight and violent movement of your body proves more than the roots can withstand. They tear loose and you tumble backwards into the chasm.</p>
2511       <choice idref="sect257"><link-text>Turn to 257</link-text>.</choice>
2512      </data>
2513     </section>
2514
2515     <section class="numbered" id="sect155">
2516      <meta><title>155</title></meta>
2517
2518      <data>
2519       <p>You reach a square near the centre of the town where a unit of enemy reserves are gathered, awaiting the order to join the battle. They are Krorn<ch.emdash/>hideous-looking creatures from the Moggador and Akamazim forests. They are approached by a swarthy giant of a man, with a short black beard and shiny bald head, who brandishes a massive war-axe fashioned from a fiery red metal. The axe must weigh more than its wielder but he waves it above his head as if it were no heavier than a stick of wood. Judging from his features and from what you have heard during your travels through Eru, this warrior is Baron Shinzar<ch.emdash/>the enemy commander.</p>
2520       <choice idref="sect96">If you have a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 96</link-text>.</choice>
2521       <choice idref="sect73">If not, <link-text>turn to 73</link-text>.</choice>
2522      </data>
2523     </section>
2524
2525     <section class="numbered" id="sect156">
2526      <meta><title>156</title></meta>
2527
2528      <data>
2529       <p>A sudden calm descends on the surrounding forest as the last of the ghosts is dispelled by your attack. But the silence is soon shattered by a chilling howl that comes from somewhere deep beneath the ground. Shaken by your encounter and anxious to avoid further conflict with the evil spirits of this isle, you enter the forest and hurry away towards the east.</p>
2530       <choice idref="sect175"><link-text>Turn to 175</link-text>.</choice>
2531      </data>
2532     </section>
2533
2534     <section class="numbered" id="sect157">
2535      <meta><title>157</title></meta>
2536
2537      <data>
2538       <p>Your senses tell you that the man is lying: he is not the partisan leader. He repeats the question but still you hesitate to answer. You cast your eyes over each man in turn and your senses confirm your suspicions: none of these men is Sebb Jarel.</p>
2539       <choice idref="sect51">If you wish to ask the mouse-like man why he is lying, <link-text>turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
2540       <choice idref="sect132">If you wish to draw a weapon and challenge him to prove his identity, <link-text>turn to 132</link-text>.</choice>
2541       <choice idref="sect23">If you wish to leave the cave, <link-text>turn to 23</link-text>.</choice>
2542      </data>
2543     </section>
2544
2545     <section class="numbered" id="sect158">
2546      <meta><title>158</title></meta>
2547
2548      <data>
2549       <p>The warrior lord looks at you reproachfully, and from a pocket of his surcoat he takes out a glittering gem. <quote>The Elder Magi of Dessi have bestowed upon us generous gifts to aid our fight against the Darklands,</quote> he says, holding the gem in the palm of his hand. Then he breathes the words of an incantation and green flames dance wildly around the sparkling jewel.</p>
2550       <choice idref="sect262">If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen, <link-text>turn to 262</link-text>.</choice>
2551       <choice idref="sect64">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
2552      </data>
2553     </section>
2554
2555     <section class="numbered" id="sect159">
2556      <meta><title>159</title></meta>
2557
2558      <data>
2559       <p><quote>Just as I thought,</quote> says the sergeant, anger in his voice. <quote>This is Halgar<ch.apos/>s whip. And judging by these bloodstains I<ch.apos/>d wager he didn<ch.apos/>t part with it gladly.</quote></p>
2560       <p>On hearing this, the other partisans reach for their swords and you catch the glint of murder in their eyes. You begin to explain but they refuse to listen. Instead they unsheathe their blades and encircle you slowly. (Delete the Bullwhip from your list of Special Items.)</p>
2561       <choice idref="sect39">If you wish to evade combat, <link-text>turn to 39</link-text>.</choice>
2562       <choice idref="sect118">If you wish to stand your ground and fight them, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
2563      </data>
2564     </section>
2565
2566     <section class="numbered" id="sect160">
2567      <meta><title>160</title></meta>
2568
2569      <data>
2570       <p>You sense that the crystal rods are generating a powerful charge of negative energy. The Lorestones are being bombarded with this energy in the hope that eventually it will destroy them. If you are to retrieve the Lorestones safely you must first shut off this power. However, by doing so, you would remove the means by which they are being kept suspended in the air, and they would then fall into the pit.</p>
2571       <illustration class="inline">
2572        <meta>
2573         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2574        </meta>
2575        <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2576        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2577        <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150" />
2578       </illustration>
2579       <p>You ponder the problem for several minutes before you hit upon a solution.</p>
2580       <choice idref="sect5"><link-text>Turn to 5</link-text>.</choice>
2581      </data>
2582     </section>
2583
2584     <section class="numbered" id="sect161">
2585      <meta><title>161</title></meta>
2586
2587      <data>
2588       <p>Using your much improved Kai skills, you disappear into the forest, leaving no trace of your passing. Even the smell of your blood is masked by your ability to secrete neutralizing oils through the pores of your skin which act as a chemical camouflage.</p>
2589       <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
2590      </data>
2591     </section>
2592
2593     <section class="numbered" id="sect162">
2594      <meta><title>162</title></meta>
2595
2596      <data>
2597       <p>As the last of the Death Knights falls dead at your feet, you clamber over the corpses and run towards the stairs. Paido arms himself with a Drakkarim sword and follows as you pound up the steps towards the two triangular doors.</p>
2598       <choice idref="sect230"><link-text>Turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
2599      </data>
2600     </section>
2601
2602     <section class="numbered" id="sect163">
2603      <meta><title>163</title></meta>
2604
2605      <data>
2606       <p>Majestically the Palace Guard advance across the field of battle, their lances raised like the spines of a steel porcupine, their scarlet and yellow pennons streaming behind them in the wind. The enemy shower them with a rain of arrows, yet the Eruans seemingly ignore these deadly shafts and continue undeterred. It is not until they reach the ditch that the constant bow-fire begins to abrade their ranks. However, it does little to slow their pace as the Prince gives the order to charge. The knights level their lances as they reach the bottom of the hill. Above them a regiment of Drakkarim pikemen brace themselves to receive the attack and a blaze of lightning hurtles down from the temple wall. You wince as it streaks down the hill, but miraculously it misses its intended target and explodes near the ditch, hurling nothing but scorched mud and the bodies of those already slain into the sky.</p>
2607       <illustration class="inline">
2608        <meta>
2609         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2610        </meta>
2611        <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="82"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2612        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="82"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2613        <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="82" />
2614       </illustration>
2615       <p>The Prince<ch.apos/>s battle-cry rings out and his knights slam into the Drakkarim to break like a wave against their wall of pikes. The Prince and a small group of his stoutest guardsmen break through and gallop on towards the temple whilst the remaining knights engage in fierce hand-to-hand combat. The Prince and his group reach the temple and you see them dismount and enter the ruins. Such bravery stirs your admiration, for they know the deadly danger that lurks there, yet they confront it unflinchingly.</p>
2616       <choice idref="sect137"><link-text>Turn to 137</link-text>.</choice>
2617      </data>
2618     </section>
2619
2620     <section class="numbered" id="sect164">
2621      <meta><title>164</title></meta>
2622
2623      <data>
2624       <p>Your Arrow screams towards a magician and shatters the sphere clasped in his claw-like hand. There is a brilliant flash as it explodes, scattering fragments that hiss like a host of fiery snakes among the Drakkarim. The second magician drops his sphere setting off another explosion. The Drakkarim scream in pain and terror as the fragments burn everything they touch.</p>
2625       <choice idref="sect332"><link-text>Turn to 332</link-text>.</choice>
2626      </data>
2627     </section>
2628
2629     <section class="numbered" id="sect165">
2630      <meta><title>165</title></meta>
2631
2632      <data>
2633       <p>You muster all your willpower and strength to drag yourself from under your dead horse and, after clawing the muck from your eyes, you crawl along the ditch. Just ahead you see a Palace Guard in a similar predicament to yourself. However, not only is he pinned beneath his dead mount, but his head is buried in the mud and he is slowly suffocating to death. He is thrashing his arms wildly in desperation.</p>
2634       <choice idref="sect79">If you wish to save his life by pulling him out from beneath his horse, <link-text>turn to 79</link-text>.</choice>
2635       <choice idref="sect247">If you prefer to ignore his plight and look instead for a new horse, <link-text>turn to 247</link-text>.</choice>
2636       <choice idref="sect115">If you decide to climb out of the ditch and follow the Prince<ch.apos/>s attack on foot, <link-text>turn to 115</link-text>.</choice>
2637      </data>
2638     </section>
2639
2640     <section class="numbered" id="sect166">
2641      <meta><title>166</title></meta>
2642
2643      <data>
2644       <p>The water laps at your waist as you wade through the shallows, and the shouts and howls of your ambushers ring relentlessly in your ears. Arrows splash beside you or whistle past dangerously close. You are three-quarters of the way across when one shaft clips your neck and knocks you underwater.</p>
2645       <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> (0 = 10). If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, deduct 2 from the number you have picked. The resulting figure equals the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost as a result of the wound.</p>
2646       <p>If you survive the wounding, you reach the opposite shore and escape into the Moggador Forest on foot.</p>
2647       <choice idref="sect186"><link-text>Turn to 186</link-text>.</choice>
2648      </data>
2649     </section>
2650
2651     <section class="numbered" id="sect167">
2652      <meta><title>167</title></meta>
2653
2654      <data>
2655       <p>You slump forward in the saddle, your eyelids half closed, your body possessed of a creeping fatigue that robs you of all will to resist the potent scent. The vibrant colours swirl before your eyes and then fade as gradually you lose consciousness and tumble to the ground.</p>
2656       <choice idref="sect214">If you possess a Bullwhip, <link-text>turn to 214</link-text>.</choice>
2657       <choice idref="sect327">If you do not have this Special Item, <link-text>turn to 327</link-text>.</choice>
2658      </data>
2659     </section>
2660
2661     <section class="numbered" id="sect168">
2662      <meta><title>168</title></meta>
2663
2664      <data>
2665       <p>The tiny nuggets of copper woven into the braids of the Bullwhip begin to glow with a strange yellow light.</p>
2666       <p>You tug it free from your pack and the phantoms give a ghastly shriek as the yellow rays scorch their unnatural forms. Unused to the sensation of pain, they recoil and take shelter in the shadows.</p>
2667       <illustration class="inline">
2668        <meta>
2669         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2670        </meta>
2671        <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="102"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2672        <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="102"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2673        <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="102" />
2674       </illustration>
2675       <p>The presence of the phantoms has triggered a spell that was cast upon the whip long ago by a former owner. Whenever the Bullwhip comes into contact with undead beings, it protects its owner by radiating a power that is abhorrent to them.</p>
2676       <p>The phantoms retreat but they do not disperse or abandon their attack. Their need to feed on your life-force overcomes their fear of the whip and with a terrifying howl of anger they swoop out of the trees and strike.</p>
2677       <combat><enemy>Cener Ghosts</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">24</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
2678       <p>These creatures are immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Owing to the power of the whip, add 2 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> for the duration of the combat.</p>
2679       <choice idref="sect156">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
2680      </data>
2681     </section>
2682
2683     <section class="numbered" id="sect169">
2684      <meta><title>169</title></meta>
2685
2686      <data>
2687       <p>The water around the boat is stained a sickly green with the blood of the Ciquali that you have slain. However, two of the creatures have survived your murderous counterattack and have slunk beneath the bow. Suddenly there is a loud crack as a sharpened wooden stake rips through the timbers close by your feet, and a fountain of water gushes from the hole. The boat tilts violently and both you and Jarel are pitched headlong into the murky river.</p>
2688       <p>With the bloodstained water stinging your eyes, you strike out blindly in the hope of reaching the bank before you fall foul of your attackers. Cold and shaken, you eventually reach the south bank and drag yourself onto the muddy shore.</p>
2689       <choice idref="sect226"><link-text>Turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
2690      </data>
2691     </section>
2692
2693     <section class="numbered" id="sect170">
2694      <meta><title>170</title></meta>
2695
2696      <data>
2697       <p>The last of your attackers screams and falls backwards into the fire, smothering the flames and plunging the cavern into darkness. Seconds later the curtain that covers the entrance is whipped aside and in stride two partisan guards, their spears poised ready to thrust. They are blinded by the unexpected darkness and you have no difficulty slipping past them and escaping along the passage.</p>
2698       <p>At the exit from the cave you notice a patrol of partisan horsemen arriving at the camp. They dismount, tether their horses to some bushes, and walk wearily towards the main campfire. Seeing an opportunity to escape, you rush towards the bushes and snatch the reins of the nearest mount. Suddenly a cry echoes from the cave: the guards are raising the alarm. You climb into the saddle but your escape is blocked by a partisan horseman who is riding up the narrow track that leads into the camp.</p>
2699       <combat><enemy>Partisan Horseman</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">17</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">24</enemy-attribute></combat>
2700       <choice idref="sect239">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 239</link-text>.</choice>
2701      </data>
2702     </section>
2703
2704     <section class="numbered" id="sect171">
2705      <meta><title>171</title></meta>
2706
2707      <data>
2708       <p><quote>I cannot send him,</quote> says the Prince, uncomfortably. <quote>He is needed elsewhere. We must send another to gather the information we need.</quote></p>