Add Simon's fix for "potholed"
[project-aon.git] / en / xml / 22tbos.xml
1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
2 <!DOCTYPE gamebook SYSTEM "gamebook.dtd" [
3  <!ENTITY % general.links SYSTEM "genlink.mod">
4  %general.links;
5  <!ENTITY % xhtml.links   SYSTEM "htmllink.mod">
6  %xhtml.links;
7
8  <!ENTITY % general.inclusions SYSTEM "geninc.mod">
9  %general.inclusions;
10 ]>
11
12 <gamebook xml:lang="en-UK" version="0.12">
13
14  <meta>
15   <title>The Buccaneers of Shadaki</title>
16   <creator class="author" sort-name="Dever, Joe">Joe Dever</creator>
17   <creator class="illustrator" sort-name="Williams, Brian">Brian Williams</creator>
18   <creator class="short">Joe Dever and Brian Williams</creator>
19   <creator class="medium">
20    <line>Joe Dever</line>
21    <line>Illustrated by Brian Williams</line>
22   </creator>
23   <creator class="long">
24    &inclusion.joe.dever.bio.lw;
25    &inclusion.brian.williams.bio.lw;
26   </creator>
27   <publisher>Project Aon</publisher>
28   <date class="publication"><year>2018</year><month>2</month><day>15</day></date>
29   <description class="blurb">
30    <p>The legendary Moonstone was created by the god-like Shianti, whose presence upon Magnamund heralded the dawn of Humanity. It contains the might of all the Shianti<ch.apos/>s magic and wisdom<ch.emdash/>the sum of their divine knowledge. Lone Wolf, Supreme Master of the Kai, has successfully retrieved the Moonstone following its theft by the forces of darkness, and now this magical artefact must be returned quickly to its creators before its immense powers disrupt the delicate balance of nature. He has entrusted the precious Moonstone to you<ch.emdash/>the most promising warrior in the ranks of the New Order Kai.</p>
31    <p>In <strong><cite>The Buccaneers of Shadaki</cite></strong>, your quest is to deliver this stone of power to the Shianti who are exiled upon the mystical Isle of Lorn. Will your vital quest succeed, or will you fall foul of the pirates and perils that infest the southern seas of Magnamund?</p>
32   </description>
33   <description class="publication">
34    <p>Internet Edition published by <a href="http://www.projectaon.org/">Project Aon</a>. This edition is intended to reflect the complete text of the original version. Where we have made minor corrections, they will be noted in the <a idref="errata">Errata</a>.</p>
35   </description>
36   <rights class="copyrights">
37    <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Joe Dever.</line>
38    <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Brian Williams.</line>
39   </rights>
40   <rights class="license-notification">
41    <p>
42     <line>Text copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Joe Dever.</line>
43     <line>Illustrations copyright <ch.copy/> 1994 Brian Williams.</line>
44     <line>Distribution of this Internet Edition is restricted under the terms of the <a idref="license">Project Aon License</a>.</line>
45    </p>
46   </rights>
47  </meta>
48
49  <section id="toc">
50   <meta />
51   <data />
52  </section>
53
54  <section id="title">
55   <meta>
56    <title>Title Page</title>
57    <link class="next" idref="dedicate" />
58   </meta>
59
60   <data>
61
62    <section class="frontmatter" id="dedicate">
63     <meta>
64      <title>Dedication</title>
65      <link class="prev" idref="title" />
66      <link class="next" idref="acknwldg" />
67     </meta>
68
69     <data>
70      <p class="dedication">For Chris and Sally plus one</p>
71     </data>
72    </section>
73
74    <section class="frontmatter" id="acknwldg">
75     <meta>
76      <title>Acknowledgements</title>
77      <link class="prev" idref="dedicate" />
78      <link class="next" idref="tssf" />
79     </meta>
80
81     <data>
82
83      &inclusion.joe.dever.endowment;
84
85      <section class="frontmatter" id="credits">
86       <meta><title>Credits</title></meta>
87
88       <data>
89        <dl>
90         <dt>Transcription</dt>
91          <dd>
92           <line>Jon Shinault</line>
93           <line><em>with special thanks to Joe Dever</em></line>
94          </dd>
95         <dt>Illustration Transcription</dt>
96          <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
97         <dt>XML</dt>
98          <dd>
99           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
100           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
101          </dd>
102         <dt>Action Charts</dt>
103          <dd>
104           <line>JC Alvarez</line>
105           <line>Jonathan Blake</line>
106          </dd>
107         <dt>Proofreading</dt>
108          <dd>
109           <line>Frank Reinart (Frontmatter)</line>
110           <line>Peter Witney (Sections 1<ch.endash/>350)</line>
111          </dd>
112         <dt>Editing</dt>
113          <dd>
114           <line>Jan Charv<ch.aacute/>t</line>
115           <line>Ingo Kl<ch.ouml/>cker</line>
116           <line>Benjamin Krefetz</line>
117           <line>LeRoy McSwain</line>
118           <line>Simon Osborne</line>
119          </dd>
120         <dt>Coordination</dt>
121          <dd>Jonathan Blake</dd>
122         <dt>Special Thanks</dt>
123          <dd>Sean Donald, Anders <ch.Ouml/>sterberg, Thomas Wolmer</dd>
124        </dl>
125       </data>
126      </section>
127
128     </data>
129    </section>
130
131    <section class="frontmatter" id="tssf">
132     <meta>
133      <title>The Story So Far<ch.ellips/></title>
134      <link class="prev" idref="acknwldg" />
135      <link class="next" idref="gamerulz" />
136     </meta>
137
138     <data>
139      <p>You are a Kai Grand Master of the New Order of the Kai<ch.emdash/>the warrior <ch.eacute/>lite of Sommerlund.</p>
140
141      <p>It is the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5083 and thirty-three years have passed since the First Order of the Kai was almost wiped out by the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent by the Dark God Naar to destroy your fertile world of Magnamund, have since been destroyed. The leader of your illustrious fighting order<ch.emdash/>Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>was the sole survivor of the massacre. As a young Kai initiate he stood amidst the burning wreckage of the old Kai Monastery and vowed to avenge the slaughter of his comrades. In the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5070 he kept his pledge when alone he infiltrated the foul domain of the Darklords and destroyed the infernal city of Helgedad, the base of their evil power.</p>
142
143      <p>With the fall of Helgedad, chaos befell the Darkland armies who had, until then, been poised to conquer all Magnamund. Quickly their disorder escalated into a mutinous civil war which allowed the Freeland armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a successful counter-offensive. Against all odds, a swift and total victory was secured over the feuding armies of evil.</p>
144
145      <p>Following the demise of the Darklords, peace reigned in your homeland of Sommerlund. Under the direction of Lone Wolf the ruined Monastery of the Kai was rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and the raising of a New Order of Kai warriors was swiftly established. You are one of this new generation of Kai recruits. You were born in Sommerlund in the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5063, during the time of the war against the Darklords. When you were seven years old you were sent by your father to the Kai Monastery. There, under the tutelage of Lone Wolf, you developed your martial skills and honed the special Kai abilities which lay dormant within you. During the years that followed, your skills were nurtured and sharpened to perfection by long hours of study and rigorous training. Your exceptional talent helped you to master all of the Kai and Magnakai Disciplines and you rose swiftly through the ranks of the New Order to become one of only five who now hold the high rank of Kai Grand Master. It is an achievement which has brought great honour upon you and your family.</p>
146
147      <p>In the year MS<ch.nbsp/>5077 your skill and courage were put to the test when an attack was launched upon the Kai Monastery during Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s absence. By means of a Shadow Gate (an astral corridor between the physical world of Magnamund and the many ethereal domains which lie beyond it) the Dark God Naar sent forth a host of dragon-creatures to besiege the monastery and lay waste of all Sommerlund. He had chosen his time well, yet his evil plan was thwarted by the tenacious defence that you and your brethren maintained until the siege was raised by Lone Wolf and the King<ch.apos/>s Army of Sommerlund.</p>
148
149      <p>The defeat of his minions enraged Naar and inflamed his lust for vengeance. Three years later he created and sent to Sommerlund an evil champion called <quote>Wolf<ch.apos/>s Bane</quote> who was the very image of Lone Wolf. While your leader was engaged upon a quest overseas, this impostor terrorized your homeland in his guise and sought to destroy the reputation and the honour of the Kai. He would have succeeded had not Lone Wolf returned home and pursued this enemy to an ancient necropolis in the Sommlending city of Tyso. There, deep within a subterranean crypt, he and his evil alter-ego were drawn through a Shadow Gate to the Plane of Darkness<ch.emdash/>Naar<ch.apos/>s stronghold<ch.emdash/>where a deadly duel ensued. Lone Wolf vanquished the foe and discovered that Naar had in his possession the fabled Moonstone of the Shianti. This wondrous artefact was created many thousands of years ago by the god-like Shianti, whose presence upon Magnamund heralded the dawn of humanity. This stone of power contains the combined might of all their magic and wisdom, the sum of all their knowledge. So significant was the creation of this stone that all time on Magnamund has since been measured from the date of its creation. It had long been held that the Moonstone<ch.apos/>s location was a secret known only to the remnants of the Shianti, who dwell upon the mysterious Isle of Lorn in Southern Magnamund, yet the evidence of Lone Wolf<ch.apos/>s eyes had told him that this mystical artefact had somehow fallen into the hands of Naar.</p>
150
151      <p>Lone Wolf realized that the Dark God had been using its legendary powers to generate Shadow Gates within the world of Magnamund, at locations and times of his own choosing. Such power had enabled him to send his loathsome champions to your home world while the force of the Gods of Good, Kai and Ishir, had been held at bay. Lone Wolf and the New Order Kai were all that stood against the onslaught of Naar<ch.apos/>s agents following the demise of the Darklords.</p>
152
153      <p>Lone Wolf successfully escaped from the Plane of Darkness and returned to Sommerlund, yet he knew that the fight against Evil had not been won outright. He realised that he would have to return to the Plane of Darkness and retrieve the fabled Moonstone. Only by doing so would Magnamund truly be safe from an invasion by Naar<ch.apos/>s legions of darkness. Two years ago, with the aid of his most trusted ally, Lord Rimoah of Dessi, Lone Wolf fulfilled his vow by journeying to the Dark God<ch.apos/>s domain and retrieving the Moonstone of the Shianti. Upon his triumphant return, Lone Wolf placed the Moonstone in the Vault of the Sun<ch.emdash/>his personal chamber located deep below the fortified citadel of the Kai Monastery. He had hoped that the fabled artefact could remain there indefinitely, to be guarded by generations of Kai who would keep it secure from Naar<ch.apos/>s minions. Retrieval of the Moonstone had denied the Dark God<ch.apos/>s champions ready access to Magnamund, yet Lone Wolf knew that there were many lesser agents of Naar upon Magnamund waiting quietly in the shadows for the chance to do his evil bidding. Undoubtedly they would stop at nothing to retrieve the Moonstone for their fell master.</p>
154
155      <p>Within a year of his return home it became clear to Lone Wolf that his wish could not be fulfilled. At first the presence of the Moonstone seemed greatly beneficial to Sommerlund. Crops grew abundantly, incidence of disease and illness became increasingly rare, and the newly-born were uniformly healthy. Even the offspring of the impoverished who, in normal times, could expect only one in three of their infants to survive longer than a month beyond birth, were all in good health and exceptional in their physical and mental development. The Sommlending called this extraordinary period of providence the <quote>Blessing of the Moonstone</quote>, yet this time of good fortune could not last. The power of the Moonstone is a great force for Good, but it is also greatly disruptive of the natural order of Magnamund. Soon death itself became a rarity in Sommerlund, and the four seasons of the year were slowly transformed into one unending spring. Lone Wolf was deeply concerned at the changes wrought by the Moonstone and sought the counsel of his closest friend<ch.emdash/>Guildmaster Banedon, leader of Sommerlund<ch.apos/>s Brotherhood of Magicians. Banedon entreated him to relinquish the Moonstone before the effects of its power became irreversible. To right the imbalance of nature the Moonstone would have to be taken to the Isle of Lorn, in the southernmost reaches of Magnamund, and delivered back into the hands of the Shianti. Only they, its creators, could prevent its powers from disrupting the natural order of your world.</p>
156
157      <p>Lone Wolf agreed with Banedon<ch.emdash/>the Moonstone would have to be returned to the Shianti. The physical effects of its presence were beginning to attract the unwelcome attentions of those who secretly desire to enact Naar<ch.apos/>s revenge upon the Kai. When one of Naar<ch.apos/>s agents was captured by a Kai patrol within a few miles of the monastery, Lone Wolf felt he could wait no longer. He resolved to act immediately. Preparations were made for a long journey and, especially among the lower ranks of the Kai, rumours were rife that your leader would personally take responsibility for returning the Moonstone to the Shianti. Indeed, this speculation seemed to be confirmed as fact when it was discovered that Lone Wolf had secured the use of Guildmaster Banedon<ch.apos/>s famous flying ship<ch.emdash/><cite>Cloud-dancer</cite>.</p>
158
159      <p>It therefore came as a shock when, early one morning, you were summoned unexpectedly to the Vault of the Sun. In strictest confidence, Supreme Master Lone Wolf informed you that he had decided to entrust you with the task of returning the Moonstone to the Shianti. His elaborate preparations were simply a diversion, a bluff designed to draw attention away from the vital mission that he wished you<ch.emdash/>the most talented and courageous of his five Kai Grand Masters<ch.emdash/>to undertake. It was with great pride and apprehension that you accepted the quest.</p>
160
161      <p>Lone Wolf gave you the precious Moonstone in a seemingly ordinary satchel, yet the lining of this plain leather bag was woven from korlinium, a special mineral that would hide the Moonstone<ch.apos/>s powerful energies from the agents of Naar. In the guise of a Kai journeyman, you set sail from the Sommlending capital of Holmgard aboard a caravel that was to carry you south on the first leg of your journey, a voyage of 2,000 miles to Elzian, the capital of Dessi. This legendary city is home to Lord Rimoah and the Elder Magi. They are the last surviving members of Magnamund<ch.apos/>s oldest race of magicians and they had promised Lone Wolf that they would help you reach your final destination. You had hoped and expected the voyage would be swift and uneventful; however fate and ill fortune decreed otherwise. Your ship was attacked by pirates off the coast of Vassagonia and badly damaged. It limped to the port of Cape Kabar where you were forced to continue the long journey by overland routes to Elzian. This trek was fraught with danger, yet you overcame the many perils ranged against you and eventually arrived at the Dessian capital, to the relief of Lord Rimoah and his anxious brother magicians who had feared the worst.</p>
162
163      <p>Now the final and most challenging part of your voyage to the Isle of Lorn lies ahead. And it is a journey that may prove more difficult than any you have undertaken so far, for it will lead you deep into the wild and lawless reaches of Southern Magnamund.</p>
164     </data>
165    </section>
166
167    <section class="frontmatter" id="gamerulz">
168     <meta>
169      <title>The Game Rules</title>
170      <link class="prev" idref="tssf" />
171      <link class="next" idref="kainame" />
172     </meta>
173
174     <data>
175      <p>You keep a record of your adventure on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
176      <p>During the years you have spent in training at the Kai Monastery, you have devoted yourself to further developing your fighting prowess (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>) and physical stamina (<typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>). Before you begin this <cite>New Order</cite> adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point the blunt end of it onto the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you pick a 0 it counts as zero.</p>
177      <p>The first number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> in this way represents your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Add 25 to the number you picked and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 7 in the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would write in a <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 32). When you fight, your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore desirable.</p>
178      <p>The second number that you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> represents your powers of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>. Add 30 to this number and write the total in the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 8 on the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> you would have 38 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points).</p>
179      <p>If you are wounded in combat you will lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. If at any time your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points cannot rise above the number you have when you start an adventure.</p>
180      <p>If you have successfully completed the previous adventure in the <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> series (Book 21), you can carry your current scores of <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points over to this adventure. You may also carry over any Special Items, Kai Weapon, normal Weapons, and Backpack Items you had in your possession at the end of your last adventure, and these should be entered on your new <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. If you have completed the previous <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> adventure, remember to choose an additional Grand Master Discipline and add <ch.plus/>1 to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <ch.plus/>2 to your basic <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ>.</p>
181      <p><strong>Playing Tip:</strong> You may use a 10-sided die instead of the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> if you find it more convenient.</p>
182
183      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="kainame">
184       <meta>
185        <title>Your Kai Name</title>
186        <link class="prev" idref="gamerulz" />
187        <link class="next" idref="discplnz" />
188       </meta>
189
190       <data>
191        <p>It has long been the tradition of your <ch.eacute/>lite warrior caste to bestow a new name upon each young novice when they complete their first year<ch.apos/>s training at the Kai Monastery. Kai names are chosen by senior Kai Masters with the aim of reflecting the individual strengths and qualities of each novice.</p>
192        <p>You may create your own Kai name for yourself, or you can generate a Kai name at random using the name tables below. To generate a Kai name, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult Table A. The name which corresponds to the number you have picked is the first part, or prefix, of your Kai name. Now pick a second number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult Table B. The name which corresponds to the number you have picked is the second part, or suffix, of your Kai name. Put the prefix and the suffix together and you have your own personal Kai name.</p>
193
194
195         <table>
196          <tr>
197           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">Table A</th>
198           <th colspan="1" scope="colgroup"></th>
199           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">Table B</th>
200          </tr>
201          <tr>
202           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">(Kai name prefix)</th>
203           <th colspan="1" scope="colgroup"></th>
204           <th colspan="2" scope="colgroup">(Kai name suffix)</th>
205          </tr>
206          <tr>
207           <td>0 = </td>
208           <td>Swift</td>
209           <td></td>
210           <td>0 = </td>
211           <td>Blade</td>
212          </tr>
213          <tr>
214           <td>1 = </td>
215           <td>Sun</td>
216           <td></td>
217           <td>1 = </td>
218           <td>Fire</td>
219          </tr>
220          <tr>
221           <td>2 = </td>
222           <td>True</td>
223           <td></td>
224           <td>2 = </td>
225           <td>Hawk</td>
226          </tr>
227          <tr>
228           <td>3 = </td>
229           <td>Bold</td>
230           <td></td>
231           <td>3 = </td>
232           <td>Heart</td>
233          </tr>
234          <tr>
235           <td>4 = </td>
236           <td>Moon</td>
237           <td></td>
238           <td>4 = </td>
239           <td>Friend</td>
240          </tr>
241          <tr>
242           <td>5 = </td>
243           <td>Sword</td>
244           <td></td>
245           <td>5 = </td>
246           <td>Star</td>
247          </tr>
248          <tr>
249           <td>6 = </td>
250           <td>Wise</td>
251           <td></td>
252           <td>6 = </td>
253           <td>Dancer</td>
254          </tr>
255          <tr>
256           <td>7 = </td>
257           <td>Storm</td>
258           <td></td>
259           <td>7 = </td>
260           <td>Helm</td>
261          </tr>
262          <tr>
263           <td>8 = </td>
264           <td>Rune</td>
265           <td></td>
266           <td>8 = </td>
267           <td>Strider</td>
268          </tr>
269          <tr>
270           <td>9 = </td>
271           <td>Brave</td>
272           <td></td>
273           <td>9 = </td>
274           <td>Shield</td>
275          </tr>
276         </table>
277        </data>
278       </section>
279
280      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="discplnz">
281       <meta>
282        <title>New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines</title>
283        <link class="prev" idref="kainame" />
284        <link class="next" idref="equipmnt" />
285       </meta>
286
287       <footnotes>
288        <footnote id="discplnz-1-foot" idref="discplnz-1">
289         <p>Details about the Kai Weapon appear in the next section of the game rules.</p>
290        </footnote>
291       </footnotes>
292
293       <data>
294        <section class="frontmatter" id="mksumary">
295         <meta>
296          <title>Kai and Magnakai Disciplines</title>
297         </meta>
298
299         <data>
300          <p>During your distinguished rise to the ranks of the New Order of Kai Grand Masters, you have become proficient in all of the basic Kai and Magnakai Disciplines. These Disciplines provide you with a formidable arsenal of natural abilities which will serve you well. A brief summary of your skills is given below:</p>
301
302          <dl class="paragraphed">
303           <dt>Weaponmastery</dt>
304            <dd><p>You are proficient with all close combat and missile weapons. You are a master of unarmed combat and suffer no <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> loss when fighting bare-handed.</p></dd>
305           <dt>Animal Control</dt>
306            <dd><p>You are able to communicate with most animals and have limited control over hostile creatures. You can use woodland animals as guides and you are able to block a non-sentient creature<ch.apos/>s sense of taste and smell.</p></dd>
307           <dt>Curing</dt>
308            <dd>
309             <p>You are able to restore <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost as a direct result of combat. You may restore 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point for every numbered section of the book you pass through in which you are not involved in further combat. The maximum number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points that can be restored in this way is limited to 10 per adventure.</p>
310             <p>You also possess the ability to heal the wounds of others, and you can neutralize the harmful effects of most poisons, venoms, and toxins.</p>
311            </dd>
312           <dt>Invisibility</dt>
313            <dd><p>You can hide effectively in most environments, mask any sounds made during movement, and you can cause minor alterations of your own physical appearance. Also you are able to mask your own body heat and scent.</p></dd>
314           <dt>Huntmastery</dt>
315            <dd><p>You are an expert hunter of food in the wild. You possess great physical agility and a keen sense of vision (day and night). Your senses of hearing and smell are especially acute.</p></dd>
316           <dt>Pathsmanship</dt>
317            <dd><p>You are able to understand most languages, magical symbols, and hieroglyphics. You are expert at reading footprints and tracks. You have an intuitive knowledge of the compass points and can detect the threat of an enemy ambush up to a distance of 500 yards. You possess an ability to cross terrain without leaving tracks. You can converse with sentient creatures and mask yourself from psychic spells of detection.</p></dd>
318           <dt>Psi-surge</dt>
319            <dd><p>You are able to attack enemies using the powers of your mind. Also you can set up disruptive vibrations in inanimate objects and cause confusion in the minds of unsophisticated enemies.</p></dd>
320           <dt>Psi-screen</dt>
321            <dd><p>You possess strong mental defences against hypnosis, supernatural illusions, charms, hostile telepathy, and evil spirits. You are able to divert and re-channel some hostile psychic energy to your own ends.</p></dd>
322           <dt>Nexus</dt>
323            <dd><p>You can move small items by projection of your mind power. You can withstand extremes of temperature and are able to extinguish fire by force of your will alone. You have a limited immunity to flames, toxic gases, and corrosive liquids.</p></dd>
324           <dt>Divination</dt>
325            <dd><p>Your famous Kai Sixth Sense can warn you of imminent danger. You can detect invisible or hidden enemies, and you are able to communicate telepathically. You can recognize magic-using and/or magical creatures, detect psychic residues, and you have a limited ability to leave your corporeal body (<quote>spirit-walk</quote>) for short periods.</p></dd>
326          </dl>
327         </data>
328        </section>
329
330        <section class="frontmatter" id="nodispln">
331         <meta>
332          <title>New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines</title>
333         </meta>
334
335         <data>
336          <p>After years of martial training and study at the Kai Monastery, and by the rigorous practice of the teachings of your illustrious mentor<ch.emdash/>Kai Supreme Master Lone Wolf<ch.emdash/>you have achieved the noble rank of Kai Grand Master Senior.</p>
337
338          <p>Following in the footsteps of Lone Wolf himself, you have vowed that one day you will become totally proficient in all 16 of the New Order Kai Grand Master Disciplines. By doing so successfully you will share with Lone Wolf the responsibility, the honour, and the future glory of leading the New Order Kai as a Supreme Master.</p>
339
340          <p>If this is the first <cite>New Order</cite> adventure you have undertaken, then your present rank is that of Kai Grand Master Senior. This means that you have mastered <em>five</em> of the New Order Grand Master Disciplines listed below. It is for you to decide which five Disciplines these are. As all of the New Order Grand Master Disciplines may be of use to you at some point during your mission, pick these five skills with care. The correct use of a New Order Grand Master Discipline at the right time could save your life. When you have chosen your five Disciplines, enter them in the Grand Master Disciplines section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
341
342        <section class="frontmatter" id="wpnmstry">
343         <meta><title>Grand Weaponmastery</title></meta>
344         <data>
345
346          <illustration class="inline">
347           <meta>
348            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
349           </meta>
350           <instance class="html" src="wpnmast.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
351           <instance class="html-compatible" src="wpnmast.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
352           <instance class="pdf" src="wpnmast.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
353          </illustration>
354
355          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to become supremely efficient in the use of all weapons. When you enter combat armed with one of your Grand Master weapons, you may add 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. The rank of Kai Grand Master Senior, with which you begin the <cite>New Order</cite> series, means that you are skilled in the use of <em>one</em> of the weapons listed below.</p> 
356          
357          <illustration class="inline">
358           <meta>
359            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
360           </meta>
361           <instance class="html" src="weapons.png" width="386" height="310" mime-type="image/png"/>
362           <instance class="html-compatible" src="weapons.gif" width="386" height="310" mime-type="image/gif"/>
363           <instance class="pdf" src="weapons.pdf" width="386" height="310" />
364          </illustration>
365
366          <p>For every adventure that you complete successfully in the <cite>New Order</cite> series while possessing the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery, you will gain proficiency with one additional weapon.</p>
367          <p>If you have the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery with Bow, you may add 5 points to any number you pick from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, when using the Bow.</p>
368         </data>
369        </section>
370
371        <section class="frontmatter" id="anmlmstr">
372         <meta><title>Animal Mastery</title></meta>
373         <data>
374
375          <illustration class="inline">
376           <meta>
377            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
378           </meta>
379           <instance class="html" src="anmlmast.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
380           <instance class="html-compatible" src="anmlmast.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
381           <instance class="pdf" src="anmlmast.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
382          </illustration>
383
384          <p>New Order Grand Masters have considerable control over hostile, non-sentient creatures. Also, they have the ability to converse with birds and fishes, and use them as guides.</p>
385         </data>
386        </section>
387
388        <section class="frontmatter" id="deliver">
389         <meta><title>Deliverance <em>(Advanced Curing)</em></title></meta>
390         <data>
391
392          <illustration class="inline">
393           <meta>
394            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
395           </meta>
396           <instance class="html" src="delvrance.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
397           <instance class="html-compatible" src="delvrance.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
398           <instance class="pdf" src="delvrance.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
399          </illustration>
400
401          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to use their healing power to repair serious battle-wounds. If, while in combat, their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> is reduced to 8 points or less, they can draw upon their mastery to restore 20 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. This emergency ability can only be used once every 20 days.</p>
402         </data>
403        </section>
404
405        <section class="frontmatter" id="assimila">
406         <meta><title>Assimilance <em>(Advanced Invisibility)</em></title></meta>
407         <data>
408
409          <illustration class="inline">
410           <meta>
411            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
412           </meta>
413           <instance class="html" src="assmlnce.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
414           <instance class="html-compatible" src="assmlnce.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
415           <instance class="pdf" src="assmlnce.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
416          </illustration>
417
418          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to effect striking changes to their physical appearance, and maintain these changes over a period of one to three days. They have also mastered advanced camouflage techniques which make them virtually undetectable in an open landscape.</p>
419         </data>
420        </section>
421
422        <section class="frontmatter" id="hntmstry">
423         <meta><title>Grand Huntmastery</title></meta>
424         <data>
425
426          <illustration class="inline">
427           <meta>
428            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
429           </meta>
430           <instance class="html" src="huntmstr.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
431           <instance class="html-compatible" src="huntmstr.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
432           <instance class="pdf" src="huntmstr.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
433          </illustration>
434
435          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to see in total darkness and they possess great natural speed and agility. They also have a superb sense of touch and taste. If you have chosen the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery as one of your skills, you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p>
436         </data>
437        </section>
438
439        <section class="frontmatter" id="pthmnshp">
440         <meta><title>Grand Pathsmanship</title></meta>
441         <data>
442
443          <illustration class="inline">
444           <meta>
445            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
446           </meta>
447           <instance class="html" src="pathsmn.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
448           <instance class="html-compatible" src="pathsmn.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
449           <instance class="pdf" src="pathsmn.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
450          </illustration>
451
452          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to resist entrapment by hostile plants. Also they have a super-awareness of ambush, or the threat of ambush, in woods and dense forests.</p>
453         </data>
454        </section>
455
456        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaisurge">
457         <meta><title>Kai-surge</title></meta>
458         <data>
459
460          <illustration class="inline">
461           <meta>
462            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
463           </meta>
464           <instance class="html" src="ksurge.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
465           <instance class="html-compatible" src="ksurge.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
466           <instance class="pdf" src="ksurge.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
467          </illustration>
468
469          <p>When using their psychic ability to attack an enemy, New Order Grand Masters may add 8 points to their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. For every round in which Kai-surge is used, they need only deduct 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point. Grand Masters have the option of using a weaker form of psychic attack called Mindblast. When using this lesser attack, they may add 4 points to their <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> without loss of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (Kai-surge and Mindblast cannot be used simultaneously). New Order Grand Masters cannot use Kai-surge if their <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score falls to 6 points or below.</p>
470         </data>
471        </section>
472
473        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiscrn">
474         <meta><title>Kai-screen</title></meta>
475         <data>
476
477          <illustration class="inline">
478           <meta>
479            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
480           </meta>
481           <instance class="html" src="kscreen.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
482           <instance class="html-compatible" src="kscreen.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
483           <instance class="pdf" src="kscreen.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
484          </illustration>
485
486          <p>During psychic combat, New Order Grand Masters are able to construct mind-fortresses capable of protecting themselves and others. The strength and capacity of these fortresses increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
487         </data>
488        </section>
489
490        <section class="frontmatter" id="nexus">
491         <meta><title>Grand Nexus</title></meta>
492         <data>
493
494          <illustration class="inline">
495           <meta>
496            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
497           </meta>
498           <instance class="html" src="nexus.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
499           <instance class="html-compatible" src="nexus.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
500           <instance class="pdf" src="nexus.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
501          </illustration>
502
503          <p>New Order Grand Masters are able to withstand contact with harmful elements, such as flames and acids, for upwards of an hour in duration. This ability increases as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
504         </data>
505        </section>
506
507        <section class="frontmatter" id="gnosis">
508         <meta><title>Telegnosis <em>(Advanced Divination)</em></title></meta>
509         <data>
510
511          <illustration class="inline">
512           <meta>
513            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
514           </meta>
515           <instance class="html" src="telegnss.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
516           <instance class="html-compatible" src="telegnss.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
517           <instance class="pdf" src="telegnss.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
518          </illustration>
519
520          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to spirit-walk for far greater lengths of time, and with far fewer ill effects. Duration of the spirit-walk and the protection afforded to his inanimate body increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
521         </data>
522        </section>
523
524        <section class="frontmatter" id="magi">
525         <meta><title>Magi-magic <em>(Old Kingdom Magic)</em></title></meta>
526         <data>
527
528          <illustration class="inline">
529           <meta>
530            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
531           </meta>
532           <instance class="html" src="magimagc.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
533           <instance class="html-compatible" src="magimagc.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
534           <instance class="pdf" src="magimagc.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
535          </illustration>
536
537          <p>Under the tutelage of Lone Wolf, you have been able to master the rudimentary skills of Old Kingdom battle-magic. These arcane skills include the use of basic Old Kingdom Spells, such as <spell>Shield</spell>, <spell>Power Word</spell>, and <spell>Invisible Fist</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Old Kingdom magic increase.</p>
538         </data>
539        </section>
540
541        <section class="frontmatter" id="alchemy">
542         <meta><title>Kai-alchemy <em>(Brotherhood Magic)</em></title></meta>
543         <data>
544
545          <illustration class="inline">
546           <meta>
547            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
548           </meta>
549           <instance class="html" src="alchemy.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
550           <instance class="html-compatible" src="alchemy.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
551           <instance class="pdf" src="alchemy.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
552          </illustration>
553
554          <p>Under the tutelage of Lone Wolf and Guildmaster Banedon (the leader of Sommerlund<ch.apos/>s Guild of Magicians), you have mastered the elementary spells of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star. These spells include <spell>Lightning Hand</spell>, <spell>Levitation</spell>, and <spell>Mind Charm</spell>. As you advance in rank, so will your knowledge and mastery of Brotherhood magic increase.</p>
555         </data>
556        </section>
557
558        <section class="frontmatter" id="astrolgy">
559         <meta><title>Astrology</title></meta>
560         <data>
561
562          <illustration class="inline">
563           <meta>
564            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
565           </meta>
566           <instance class="html" src="astrolgy.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
567           <instance class="html-compatible" src="astrolgy.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
568           <instance class="pdf" src="astrolgy.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
569          </illustration>
570
571          <p>The celestial bodies which occupy the skies above Magnamund have long been known to affect the lives of its inhabitants. Mastery of this Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to predict and shape the future by studying the relative positions of the Sun, the Moon, and the myriad planets and stars. The number and accuracy of these predictions increase as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
572         </data>
573        </section>
574
575        <section class="frontmatter" id="herbmst">
576         <meta><title>Herbmastery</title></meta>
577         <data>
578
579          <illustration class="inline">
580           <meta>
581            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
582           </meta>
583           <instance class="html" src="herblism.png" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/png"/>
584           <instance class="html-compatible" src="herblism.gif" width="386" height="53"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
585           <instance class="pdf" src="herblism.pdf" width="386" height="53" />
586          </illustration>
587
588          <p>Mastery of this New Order Discipline enables a Grand Master to identify readily any substance derived from living or growing organic material. He is aware of any secret uses to which an organic material may be put, and he is skilled in effecting the release of a substance<ch.apos/>s medicinal and/or magical properties.</p>
589         </data>
590        </section>
591
592        <section class="frontmatter" id="element">
593         <meta><title>Elementalism</title></meta>
594         <data>
595
596          <illustration class="inline">
597           <meta>
598            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
599           </meta>
600           <instance class="html" src="elmntlsm.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
601           <instance class="html-compatible" src="elmntlsm.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
602           <instance class="pdf" src="elmntlsm.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
603          </illustration>
604
605          <p>This Discipline enables a New Order Grand Master to manipulate the four basic elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. By drawing upon individual elements that are available, or combinations thereof, he is able to detach, affix, increase, concentrate, intensify, remove, or accelerate this matter to fulfil a specific purpose, e.g. create a wall, hurl a rock, spray sand, remove air, intensify fire. The versatility of this Discipline increases as a New Order Grand Master advances in rank.</p>
606         </data>
607        </section>
608
609        <section class="frontmatter" id="bardsman">
610         <meta><title>Bardsmanship</title></meta>
611         <data>
612
613          <illustration class="inline">
614           <meta>
615            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
616           </meta>
617           <instance class="html" src="bard.png" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/png"/>
618           <instance class="html-compatible" src="bard.gif" width="386" height="54"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
619           <instance class="pdf" src="bard.pdf" width="386" height="54" />
620          </illustration>
621
622          <p>Through mastery of this Discipline a Kai Grand Master of the New Order becomes a multi-talented performer, proficient in the use of any musical instrument. He is able to sing or chant, recite or compose tales of legend, mimic speech or dialect, and stimulate a wide range of emotions among sentient creatures. The effect and power of his bardic abilities will steadily increase as he advances through the Grand Master ranks.</p>
623         </data>
624        </section>
625
626        <p>If you successfully complete the mission as set in Book 22 of the <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> series, you may add a further Grand Master Discipline of your choice to your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> in Book 23. For every Grand Master Discipline you possess, in excess of the original five Disciplines you begin with, you may add 1 point to your basic <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> score and 2 points to your basic <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points score. These bonus points, together with your extra Grand Master Discipline(s), your original five Grand Master Disciplines, your Kai Weapon,<footref id="discplnz-1" idref="discplnz-1-foot"/> and any other Special Items and Backpack Items that you have found and been able to keep during your adventures, may then be carried over and used in the next <cite>New Order</cite> adventure, which is called: <bookref series ="lw" book="23mh"><cite>Mydnight<ch.apos/>s Hero</cite></bookref>.</p>
627       </data>
628      </section>
629      </data>
630      </section>
631
632      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="equipmnt">
633       <meta>
634        <title>Equipment</title>
635        <link class="prev" idref="discplnz"/>
636        <link class="next" idref="cmbtrulz"/>
637       </meta>
638
639       <data>
640        <p>Before you leave Elzian and begin your long voyage south to the Isle of Lorn, you acquire a <a idref="map">map of southeastern Magnamund</a> and a pouch of gold. To find out how much money is in the pouch, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and add 20 to the number you have picked. The total equals the number of Gold Crowns inside the pouch, and you should now enter this number in the <quote>Gold Crowns</quote> section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
641        <p>If you have successfully completed the previous <cite>New Order</cite> adventure (Book 21), you may add this sum to the number of Crowns you already possess. Fifty is the maximum number of Gold Crowns you can carry in your pouch at any time. You may also select five items from the list below, only two of which may be weapons.</p>
642        <ul class="paragraphed">
643
644        <li><p>Quarterstaff (Weapons)</p>
645         <illustration class="inline">
646           <meta>
647            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
648           </meta>
649           <instance class="html" src="qurtstff.png" width="386" height="45"  mime-type="image/png"/>
650           <instance class="html-compatible" src="qurtstff.gif" width="386" height="45"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
651           <instance class="pdf" src="qurtstff.pdf" width="386" height="45"/>
652          </illustration>
653         </li>
654         <li><p>Bow (Weapons)</p>
655          <illustration class="inline">
656           <meta>
657            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
658           </meta>
659           <instance class="html" src="bow.png" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/png"/>
660           <instance class="html-compatible" src="bow.gif" width="386" height="64"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
661           <instance class="pdf" src="bow.pdf" width="386" height="64"/>
662          </illustration>
663         </li>
664         <li><p>Quiver (Special Items) This contains six Arrows; record them on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
665          <illustration class="inline">
666           <meta>
667            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
668           </meta>
669           <instance class="html" src="quiver.png" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/png"/>
670           <instance class="html-compatible" src="quiver.gif" width="386" height="127"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
671           <instance class="pdf" src="quiver.pdf" width="386" height="127"/>
672          </illustration>
673         </li>
674         <li><p>Flute (Backpack Item)</p>
675          <illustration class="inline">
676           <meta>
677            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
678           </meta>
679           <instance class="html" src="flute.png" width="386" height="68"  mime-type="image/png"/>
680           <instance class="html-compatible" src="flute.gif" width="386" height="68"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
681           <instance class="pdf" src="flute.pdf" width="386" height="68"/>
682          </illustration>
683         </li>
684         <li><p>Dagger (Weapons)</p>
685          <illustration class="inline">
686           <meta>
687            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
688           </meta>
689           <instance class="html" src="dagger.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
690           <instance class="html-compatible" src="dagger.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
691           <instance class="pdf" src="dagger.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
692          </illustration>
693         </li>
694         <li><p>Sword (Weapons)</p>
695          <illustration class="inline">
696           <meta>
697            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
698           </meta>
699           <instance class="html" src="sword.png" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/png"/>
700           <instance class="html-compatible" src="sword.gif" width="386" height="69"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
701           <instance class="pdf" src="sword.pdf" width="386" height="69"/>
702          </illustration>
703         </li>
704         <li><p>2 Meals (Meals) Each Meal takes up one space in your Backpack.</p>
705          <illustration class="inline">
706           <meta>
707            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
708           </meta>
709           <instance class="html" src="food.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
710           <instance class="html-compatible" src="food.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
711           <instance class="pdf" src="food.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
712          </illustration>
713         </li>
714         <li><p>Rope (Backpack Item)</p>
715          <illustration class="inline">
716           <meta>
717            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
718           </meta>
719           <instance class="html" src="rope.png" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/png"/>
720           <instance class="html-compatible" src="rope.gif" width="386" height="109"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
721           <instance class="pdf" src="rope.pdf" width="386" height="109"/>
722          </illustration>
723         </li>
724         <li><p>Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Item) This potion restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for only one dose.</p>
725          <illustration class="inline">
726           <meta>
727            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
728           </meta>
729           <instance class="html" src="potion.png" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/png"/>
730           <instance class="html-compatible" src="potion.gif" width="386" height="167"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
731           <instance class="pdf" src="potion.pdf" width="386" height="167"/>
732          </illustration>
733         </li>
734         <li><p>Axe (Weapons)</p>
735          <illustration class="inline">
736           <meta>
737            <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
738           </meta>
739           <instance class="html" src="axe.png" width="386" height="112"  mime-type="image/png"/>
740           <instance class="html-compatible" src="axe.gif" width="386" height="112"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
741           <instance class="pdf" src="axe.pdf" width="386" height="112"/>
742          </illustration>
743         </li>
744        </ul>
745
746        <p>List the five items that you have chosen on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, under the appropriate headings, and make a note of any effect that they may have on your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points and/or <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>.</p>
747
748        <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiweapn">
749         <meta>
750          <title>Kai Weapons</title>
751         </meta>
752
753         <data>
754          <p>Upon reaching the ultimate rank of Kai Supreme Master, Lone Wolf received as a reward from the God Kai many new skills and abilities. One of these skills was Kai Weaponcraft. Using his newfound mastery, Lone Wolf forged ten weapons of magical power in the armoury furnaces of the Kai Monastery. These magical weapons are reserved for the <ch.eacute/>lite of the New Order Kai who attain the rank of Grand Master.</p>
755
756          <p>In recognition of your rank and achievement, you may choose your own Kai Weapon from the table below or, if you prefer, you can generate one at random. To generate a Kai Weapon, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> and consult the first column. The magical Axe, Sword, or Broadsword which corresponds to the number you have picked will be your own personal Kai Weapon. Record this magical weapon and its unique properties in the Kai Weapon section of the <a idref="action">Special Items List</a>. If you have completed the previous <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> adventure (Book 21), you already possess a Kai Weapon.</p>
757
758          <p><strong>Example</strong></p>
759          <p>Say you choose the number 8 from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>, your Kai Weapon will be the Broadsword <quote>Illuminatus</quote>.</p>
760
761          <p>When using this Kai Weapon in normal combat you may add <ch.plus/>5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. Each Kai Weapon has a unique property. When you use your Kai Weapon in combat against the type of enemy that matches its unique property, or use it at the optimum time or location, then you may add the higher bonus to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> (these bonuses are not cumulative).</p>
762
763          <p><strong>Example</strong></p>
764          <p>If you were to use <quote>Illuminatus</quote> in combat against an enemy in an underground cavern, cave, or tunnel, you could add the higher bonus of 7 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you were to fight this enemy in any other location, the bonus to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> would remain at 5.</p>
765
766           <table>
767            <tr>
768             <th colspan="6" scope="colgroup">Kai Weapon Table</th>
769            </tr>
770            <tr>
771             <th>RN</th>
772             <th>Weapon Type</th>
773             <th>Weapon Name</th>
774             <th><typ class="attribute">CS</typ></th>
775             <th>Unique Properties</th>
776             <th><typ class="attribute">CS</typ></th>
777            </tr>
778            <tr>
779             <td>0</td>
780             <td>Axe</td>
781             <td><quote>Spawnsmite</quote></td>
782             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
783             <td>versus reptilian enemies</td>
784             <td><ch.plus/>6</td>
785            </tr>
786            <tr>
787             <td>1</td>
788             <td>Axe</td>
789             <td><quote>Alema</quote></td>
790             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
791             <td>versus undead enemies</td>
792             <td><ch.plus/>7</td>
793            </tr>
794            <tr>
795             <td>2</td>
796             <td>Axe</td>
797             <td><quote>Magnara</quote></td>
798             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
799             <td>versus rock or stone</td>
800             <td><ch.plus/>8</td>
801            </tr>
802            <tr>
803             <td>3</td>
804             <td>Sword</td>
805             <td><quote>Sunstrike</quote></td>
806             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
807             <td>when used in daylight</td>
808             <td><ch.plus/>6</td>
809            </tr>
810            <tr>
811             <td>4</td>
812             <td>Sword</td>
813             <td><quote>Kaistar</quote></td>
814             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
815             <td>when used at night</td>
816             <td><ch.plus/>7</td>
817            </tr>
818            <tr>
819             <td>5</td>
820             <td>Sword</td>
821             <td><quote>Valiance</quote></td>
822             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
823             <td>when used against magicians or creatures born of magic</td>
824             <td><ch.plus/>8</td>
825            </tr>
826            <tr>
827             <td>6</td>
828             <td>Sword</td>
829             <td><quote>Ulnarias</quote></td>
830             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
831             <td>when used underwater</td>
832             <td><ch.plus/>9</td>
833            </tr>
834            <tr>
835             <td>7</td>
836             <td>Broadsword</td>
837             <td><quote>Raumas</quote></td>
838             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
839             <td>versus winged enemies</td>
840             <td><ch.plus/>6</td>
841            </tr>
842            <tr>
843             <td>8</td>
844             <td>Broadsword</td>
845             <td><quote>Illuminatus</quote></td>
846             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
847             <td>when used underground</td>
848             <td><ch.plus/>7</td>
849            </tr>
850            <tr>
851             <td>9</td>
852             <td>Broadsword</td>
853             <td><quote>Firefall</quote></td>
854             <td><ch.plus/>5</td>
855             <td>versus fire-emitting enemies</td>
856             <td><ch.plus/>8</td>
857            </tr>
858            <tr>
859             <td colspan="3">RN = Random Number</td>
860             <td colspan="3"><typ class="attribute">CS</typ> = <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ></td>
861            </tr>
862           </table>
863          </data>
864         </section>
865
866         <section class="frontmatter" id="howuse">
867         <meta>
868          <title>Equipment<ch.emdash/>How to use it</title>
869         </meta>
870
871         <data>
872          <dl class="paragraphed">
873           <dt>Weapons</dt>
874            <dd><p>The maximum number of Weapons that you can carry is <em>two</em>. Weapons aid you in combat. If you have the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery and a correct Weapon, it adds 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. If you find a Weapon during your adventure, you may pick it up and use it. You may only use one Weapon at a time in combat.</p></dd>
875           <dt>Bows and Arrows</dt>
876            <dd>
877             <p>During your adventure there will be opportunities to use a Bow and Arrow. If you equip yourself with this Weapon, and you possess at least one Arrow, you may use it when the text of a particular section allows you to do so. The Bow is a useful Weapon, for it enables you to hit an enemy at a distance. However, a Bow cannot be used in hand-to-hand combat; therefore it is best to equip yourself also with a close combat Weapon, such as a Sword or an Axe.</p>
878             <p>In order to use a Bow you must possess a Quiver and at least one Arrow. Each time the Bow is used, erase an Arrow from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>. A Bow cannot, of course, be used if you exhaust your supply of Arrows, but the opportunity may arise during your adventure for you to replenish your stock of Arrows.</p>
879            </dd>
880           <dt>Backpack Items</dt>
881            <dd>
882             <p>These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may keep a maximum of ten articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time. You may only carry one Backpack at a time. During your travels you will discover various useful items which you may decide to keep. You may exchange or discard them at any point when you are not involved in combat.</p>
883             <p>Any item that may be of use, and which can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, is given either initial capitals (e.g. Silver Mirror, Gold Key), or is clearly identified as a Backpack Item. Unless you are told that it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.</p>
884            </dd>
885           <dt>Special Items</dt>
886            <dd>
887             <p>Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how or where to carry it. The maximum number of Special Items that can be carried on any adventure is 12.</p>
888            </dd>
889           <dt>Kai Weapon</dt>
890            <dd><p>Your Kai Weapon is a Special Item and it can be carried and used in addition to two normal Weapons. If you possess the Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery for a weapon type which is the same as your unique Kai Weapon, you may add the Grand Weaponmastery bonus of <ch.plus/>5 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. This is in addition to the bonus gained when you use your Kai Weapon in combat.</p></dd>
891           <dt>Food</dt>
892            <dd><p>Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item. You will need to eat regularly during your adventure. If you do not have any food when you are instructed to eat a Meal, you will lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. However, if you have chosen Grand Huntmastery as one of your five Disciplines, then you will not need to tick off a Meal when instructed to eat.</p></dd>
893           <dt>Potion of Laumspur</dt>
894            <dd><p>This is a healing potion that can restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to your total when swallowed after combat. It cannot be used to increase <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points immediately prior to a combat. There is enough for one dose only. If you discover any other potion during the adventure, you will be informed of its effect. All potions are Backpack Items.</p></dd>
895           <dt>Gold Crowns</dt>
896            <dd>
897             <p>The currency most readily accepted in southeastern Magnamund is the Noble. These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty Nobles. Gold Crowns are readily accepted at a rate of 1 Gold Crown for 1 Noble.</p>
898            </dd>
899           </dl>
900         </data>
901        </section>
902       </data>
903      </section>
904
905      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="cmbtrulz">
906       <meta>
907        <title>Rules for Combat</title>
908        <link class="prev" idref="equipmnt" />
909        <link class="next" idref="levels" />
910       </meta>
911
912       <data>
913        <p>There will be occasions during your adventure when you will have to fight an enemy. The enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points are given in the text. Your aim in the combat is to kill the enemy by reducing his <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to zero while losing as few <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points as possible yourself.</p>
914        <p>At the start of a combat, enter your own and the enemy<ch.apos/>s <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points in the appropriate boxes on the Combat Record section of your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
915        <p>The sequence for combat is as follows:</p>
916        <ol class="paragraphed">
917         <li><p>Add any extra points gained through your Grand Master Disciplines and Special Items to your current <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> total.</p></li>
918         <li>
919          <p>Subtract the <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of your enemy from this total. The result is your Combat Ratio. Enter it on the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.</p>
920          <p>Example</p>
921          <p>You, Grand Master (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 32), are attacked in a forest by a pack of Wild Dogs (<typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> 31). You are taken by surprise and are not given the opportunity of evading their attack. You possess the Grand Master Discipline of Kai-surge to which the Wild Dogs are not immune, so you add 8 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. You also possess the Kai Weapon <quote>Ulnarias</quote>, so you add an additional 5 points to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ>. This gives you a total <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> of 45.</p>
922          <p>You now subtract the Wild Dogs<ch.apos/> <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> from your own, giving a Combat Ratio of <ch.plus/>14 (45<ch.minus/>31=<ch.plus/>14). <ch.plus/>14 is noted on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as the Combat Ratio.</p>
923         </li>
924         <li><p><a id="stage3">When you have your Combat Ratio</a>, pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p></li>
925         <li>
926          <p>Turn to the <a idref="crtable">Combat Results Table</a>. Along the top of the chart are shown the Combat Ratio numbers. Find the number that is the same as your Combat Ratio and cross-reference it with the random number that you have picked (the random numbers appear on the side of the chart). You now have the number of <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points lost by both yourself and your enemy in this round of combat. (E represents points lost by the enemy; GM represents points lost by yourself<ch.emdash/>Grand Master.)</p>
927          <p>Example</p>
928          <p>The Combat Ratio between you and the Wild Dogs has been established as <ch.plus/>14. If the number picked from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a> is 1, then the result of the first round of combat is:</p>
929          <ul>
930           <li>You (GM) lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points (plus an additional 1 point for using Kai-surge. This loss is in addition to the loss suffered as a result of combat).</li>
931           <li>Wild Dogs lose 9 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</li>
932          </ul>
933         </li>
934         <li><p>On the <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>, mark the changes in <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points to the participants in the combat.</p></li>
935         <li><p>Unless otherwise instructed, or unless you have an option to evade, the next round of combat now starts.</p></li>
936         <li><p>Repeat the sequence from <a idref="stage3">Stage 3</a>.</p></li>
937        </ol>
938
939        <p>This process of combat continues until the <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points of either your enemy or yourself are reduced to zero or below, at which point that combatant is declared dead. If you are declared dead, the adventure is over. If the enemy is dead, you can proceed but with your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points possibly reduced.</p>
940        <p>A <a idref="crsumary">summary of Combat Rules</a> appears in the back of this book.</p>
941
942        <section class="frontmatter" id="evasion">
943         <meta><title>Evasion of Combat</title></meta>
944
945         <data>
946          <p>During your adventure you may be given the chance to evade combat. If you have already engaged in a round of combat and decide to evade, calculate the combat for that round in the usual manner. All points lost by the enemy as a result of that round are ignored, and you make your escape. Only <strong>you</strong> may lose <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points during that round (such is the risk of turning tail and running away during combat!). You may only evade if the text of the particular section allows you to do so.</p>
947         </data>
948        </section>
949       </data>
950      </section>
951
952      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="levels">
953       <meta>
954        <title>Levels of New Order Kai Grand Mastership</title>
955        <link class="prev" idref="cmbtrulz" />
956        <link class="next" idref="imprvdsc" />
957       </meta>
958
959       <data>
960
961        <p>The following table is a guide to the ranks and titles you can achieve at each stage of your journey along the road of Kai Grand Mastership. As you successfully complete each adventure in the <cite>New Order</cite> series, you will gain an additional Grand Master Discipline and progress towards the pinnacle of Kai perfection<ch.emdash/>to become a Kai Supreme Master.</p>
962
963        <ol start="4">
964         <li>Kai Grand Master Senior<ch.emdash/><em>You begin the <cite>New Order</cite> adventures at this level of Kai Grand Mastery</em></li>
965         <li>Kai Grand Master Superior</li>
966         <li>Kai Grand Sentinel</li>
967         <li>Kai Grand Defender</li>
968         <li>Kai Grand Guardian</li>
969         <li>Sun Knight</li>
970         <li>Sun Lord</li>
971         <li>Sun Thane</li>
972         <li>Grand Thane</li>
973         <li>Grand Crown</li>
974         <li>Sun Prince</li>
975         <li>Kai Supreme Master</li>
976        </ol>
977       </data>
978      </section>
979
980
981      <section class="frontmatter-separate" id="imprvdsc">
982       <meta>
983        <title>Improved Grand Master Disciplines</title>
984        <link class="prev" idref="levels" />
985        <link class="next" idref="kaiwisdm" />
986       </meta>
987
988       <data>
989        <p>As you rise through the higher levels of Grand Mastery you will find that your Disciplines will steadily improve.</p>
990
991        <section class="frontmatter" id="superior">
992         <meta><title>Kai Grand Master Superior</title></meta>
993
994         <data>
995          <p>If you are a New Order Kai who has attained the rank of Kai Grand Master Superior, you will now benefit from improvements to the following Grand Master Disciplines:</p>
996          <dl class="paragraphed">
997           <dt>Animal Mastery</dt>
998            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who possess this Discipline are able to deter predatory animals in the wild by exuding a scent which is repellent to them. In order for this improved Discipline to work effectively, a Kai Grand Master Superior must be aware of the species of predatory animal he/she wishes to deter. The scent can only be detected by the targeted animal.</p></dd>
999           <dt>Assimilance</dt>
1000            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who possess this skill are able to create a noise and project it up to 15 yards away from their location. The noise is akin to the rumbling sound of thunder and it can be used to distract or divert an enemy<ch.apos/>s attention. This improved Discipline requires a degree of preparation and therefore it cannot be used during combat.</p></dd>
1001           <dt>Astrology</dt>
1002            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who possess this Discipline are skilled in the use of all mechanical devices designed to measure and/or observe the cosmology of Magnamund. Such devices include sextants, astrolabes, and orreries.</p></dd>
1003           <dt>Herbmastery</dt>
1004            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who have this Discipline are able to purify water, thereby making contaminated or briny water suitable for consumption. Roughly two pints of water per day can be purified using this skill alone. This daily total steadily increases as a Grand Master advances in rank.</p></dd>
1005           <dt>Elementalism</dt>
1006            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who possess this skill are able to condense pure water out of the surrounding air. This water can be made to fall as a fine spray or as a sudden deluge. It can also be made to fill any suitable container or receptacle. Using this skill, Grand Master Superiors can create the equivalent of one large bucketful of fresh water.</p></dd>
1007           <dt>Bardsmanship</dt>
1008            <dd><p>Kai Grand Master Superiors who possess this Discipline are able to utilize their musical skills to pacify an excited or hostile animal.</p></dd>
1009          </dl>
1010         </data>
1011        </section>
1012
1013        <p>The nature of additional improvements and how they affect your existing Grand Master Disciplines will be noted in the Improved Grand Master Disciplines section of future <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> books.</p>
1014
1015        </data>
1016      </section>
1017     </data>
1018    </section>
1019
1020
1021    <section class="frontmatter" id="kaiwisdm">
1022     <meta>
1023      <title>New Order Wisdom</title>
1024      <link class="prev" idref="imprvdsc" />
1025      <link class="next" idref="sect1" />
1026     </meta>
1027
1028     <data>
1029      <p>You are about to embark upon the final stage of a vital mission to return the fabled Moonstone of the Shianti to its creators.</p>
1030
1031      <p>Some of the material items that you will encounter during your quest will be of use to you, while others may be red herrings of no real value at all. If you discover items, be selective in what you choose to keep.</p>
1032
1033      <p>Pick your five Grand Master Disciplines with care, for a wise choice will enable any player to complete the quest, no matter how weak their initial <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> and <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> scores may be. Completion of previous <cite>Lone Wolf</cite> adventures (Books 1<ch.endash/>21) may be advantageous, but it is not essential for the successful completion of this <cite>New Order</cite> adventure.</p>
1034
1035      <p>May the light of the Gods Kai and Ishir guide you during your important quest.</p>
1036
1037      <p>For Sommerlund and the Kai!</p>
1038     </data>
1039    </section>
1040
1041    <section class="numbered" id="numbered">
1042     <meta><title>Numbered Sections</title></meta>
1043
1044     <data>
1045
1046     <section class="numbered" id="sect1">
1047      <meta><title>1</title></meta>
1048
1049      <data>
1050        <p>For three days you are treated to the lavish hospitality of the Elder Magi and the freedom of the wondrous city of Elzian. Then, on the morning of the fourth day, having fully recovered from the rigours of your journey to Dessi, you meet with Lord Rimoah in the Tower of Truth to discuss the final stage of your quest<ch.emdash/>the voyage to the Isle of Lorn. He informs you that passage has been arranged for you aboard a Suhnese trading ship called <cite>The Azan</cite> which sails tomorrow at dawn. The ship<ch.apos/>s master, Captain Jenkshi, has been paid generously to carry you to his home port of Suhn, and you can expect to be well treated by him and his crew. It will be a long voyage, some 2,500 miles in all, but not all of it will be spent at sea. <cite>The Azan</cite> will put in at several ports along the way, both to trade and to take on fresh supplies of food and water. Rimoah reminds you of the need for secrecy<ch.emdash/>nobody must know the real purpose of your journey. Jenkshi and his men have been told that you are simply a courier who is carrying official papers for the attention of Lord Zinair, the Dessian ambassador to Suhn. On arriving at Suhn you are to contact Lord Zinair who will arrange for your passage across the Sea of Dreams to the Isle of Lorn. Before you leave the Tower of Truth and return to your chambers, Lord Rimoah examines the satchel in which you carry the Moonstone. Its special korlinium lining meets with his approval.</p>
1051
1052        <illustration class="inline">
1053         <meta>
1054          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1055         </meta>
1056         <instance class="html" src="small1.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1057         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small1.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1058         <instance class="pdf" src="small1.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1059        </illustration>
1060
1061        <p><quote>Lone Wolf has prepared you well for your mission,</quote> he says, as he secures the buckle. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m sure I have no need to remind you to keep this bag closed at all times. You are about to venture through dangerous territory, and there are many who would give anything to possess the contents of this satchel. You would be wise to trust only yourself, Grand Master.</quote> (If you have not already done so, record the Moonstone on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item. You carry it slung over your shoulder in its leather satchel.)</p>
1062        <p>Rimoah escorts you to your room and tells you that he will call for you at an hour before dawn to take you to the quay. As he bids you goodnight, a doleful bell rings out in some distant part of the city. Rimoah<ch.apos/>s eyes fill with sadness.</p>
1063        <p><quote>What does the bell mean, my lord?</quote> you ask.</p>
1064        <p><quote>It signifies the passing of Lord Casis. He, too, is about to begin a journey. Alas, it will be his last. I must go now<ch.emdash/>I am being summoned to witness his departure.</quote></p>
1065        <p>As he leaves, Rimoah pauses for a moment and then glances back over his shoulder. <quote>You are welcome to accompany me if you wish, Grand Master. The passing of an Elder is a rare and special occasion. You may learn much from what you see.</quote></p>
1066        <choice idref="sect225">If you wish to accept Lord Rimoah<ch.apos/>s invitation, <link-text>turn to 225</link-text>.</choice>
1067        <choice idref="sect118">If you choose to decline his invitation, <link-text>turn to 118</link-text>.</choice>
1068      </data>
1069     </section>
1070
1071     <section class="numbered" id="sect2">
1072      <meta><title>2</title></meta>
1073
1074      <footnotes>
1075       <footnote id="sect2-1-foot" idref="sect2-1">
1076        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
1077       </footnote>
1078      </footnotes>
1079
1080      <data>
1081        <p>When first you enter the mists, it seems as if you are no longer sailing upon a sea of water. It becomes a blended sea and sky of deep blue light, without horizon or boundary<ch.emdash/>a limitless space. Gradually you detect vague shadows passing quickly by, and then distant sounds, like muffled whispers, surging then pulsing away before you can catch the words. Then you see globes of darkness hovering to and fro, and your Kai senses scream a warning that these are invaders, evil intruders in this realm of ghostly mist. They grow in numbers and begin to spiral around your boat, whispering and laughing and babbling all the while. You can feel your boat gradually slowing until it ceases to move at all. Fear grips you when you realise that these mischievous black spheres have the power to hold you prisoner, to keep you from ever reaching the shores of Lorn. Suddenly the vague sounds and voices in your mind begin to crystallize into words that you can understand.</p>
1082        <p><thought>You have proved your physical courage, foolish follower of Kai. But now you must put your mental strength to the test if you wish to find the Isle of Lorn.</thought></p>
1083        <p>The eerie voice laughs and you steel yourself to meet its mental challenge.</p>
1084        <p><thought>How great in number are the Warriors of Nhang?</thought></p>
1085        <puzzle idref="sect80">If you think you know the answer to this challenge, <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn now to the section</a></when><otherwise>turn now to the section</otherwise></choose> which is the same as your answer.<footref id="sect2-1" idref="sect2-1-foot"/></puzzle>
1086        <choice idref="sect303">If you do not know the answer to this challenge, <link-text>turn to 303</link-text>.</choice>
1087      </data>
1088     </section>
1089
1090     <section class="numbered" id="sect3">
1091      <meta><title>3</title></meta>
1092
1093      <data>
1094        <p>You concentrate on the wall of the hut, at a point directly opposite the guarded door, and then you summon forth the Old Kingdom power-word <spell>Gloar!</spell> The concussion of your spell-word hits the wall and punches a ragged hole through its bamboo timbers. You run at this hole and charge the weakened wall with your shoulder. It cracks and splits open, enabling you to force yourself through the gap and escape.</p>
1095        <choice idref="sect308"><link-text>Turn to 308</link-text>.</choice>
1096      </data>
1097     </section>
1098
1099     <section class="numbered" id="sect4">
1100      <meta><title>4</title></meta>
1101
1102      <data>
1103        <p>You fight your way to the surface of the churning sea and gulp a lungful of air. All about you are flailing lumps of debris, foaming bubbles, and treacherous strands of rope and canvas that threaten to entangle your limbs and drag you to your doom. Breathing hard, you fill your lungs and feed oxygen to your blood before diving deep below the flotsam of the dying ship. You surface beyond the debris and swim for the shore, now less than a mile distant.</p>
1104        <p>The waves bring you ashore upon a rocky beach where you crawl for shelter among boulders at the base of a chalk cliff. From here you see the wreck of the <cite>Vargas</cite> come drifting towards the shoreline to be smashed to pieces on the rocks. Gangs of men are pacing the beach, salvaging cargo and slaying any crewman who is washed ashore alive. They are wreckers, and your Kai senses tell you that they are led by an evil magician who possesses great power. You can feel the aura of his presence nearby, high upon the cliffs, and you know that he has been responsible for the wicked destruction of the <cite>Vargas</cite> and its crew.</p>
1105        <p>Using your Kai camouflage skills to keep yourself hidden from the wreckers, you hurry away along the rocky coast. During your escape, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1106        <choice idref="sect290">To continue, <link-text>turn to 290</link-text>.</choice>
1107      </data>
1108     </section>
1109
1110     <section class="numbered" id="sect5">
1111      <meta><title>5</title></meta>
1112
1113      <data>
1114        <p>You rejoin your companions and hurry with them through the flagstoned streets, retracing your route back to the harbour in the hope of reaching <cite>The Azan</cite> before the night closes in completely. You are within a few hundred yards of the harbour entrance when suddenly a patrol of the city watch come marching around a corner with their spears couched on their chainmailed shoulders. Their officer commands you all to halt and demands that you raise your hands above your heads.</p>
1115        <choice idref="sect228">If you wish to do as the officer has ordered, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
1116        <choice idref="sect330">If you decide to make a dash for the harbour, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
1117      </data>
1118     </section>
1119
1120     <section class="numbered" id="sect6">
1121      <meta><title>6</title></meta>
1122
1123      <data>
1124        <p>You follow Melchar through a maze of passages which lead all the way back to The Song of the Silver Star tavern, and the young journeyman laughs with sheer relief at having escaped from Wrok<ch.apos/>s henchmen when finally you enter the sanctuary of the inn<ch.apos/>s crowded taproom. The innkeeper asks Melchar if his happy mood is due to a win at the derby. He tells him that, thanks to your advice, he did not bet and therefore he did not lose. He also adds the real reason why he is feeling elated and the innkeeper frowns.</p>
1125        <p><quote>Wrok<ch.apos/>s not a man to cross,</quote> he warns. <quote>He<ch.apos/>s ruthless when it comes to getting even. I think you two had better stay in the attic tonight. Wrok<ch.apos/>s sure to send his lackeys out a-huntin<ch.apos/> for you.</quote></p>
1126        <p>You heed the innkeeper<ch.apos/>s warning and spend the night hidden in his attic room. Before dawn breaks you slip out of the tavern by a back door and say farewell to Melchar in the street outside.</p>
1127        <p><quote>Captain Leonghi<ch.apos/>s ship is moored down at the docks,</quote> he says. <quote>It<ch.apos/>s called <cite>Embassage</cite>. I wish you a swift and safe journey to Nhang, Grand Master. I<ch.apos/>ll always remember our little adventure at the Caeno Derby and I hope we<ch.apos/>ll meet again one day when you return to Sommerlund.</quote></p>
1128        <choice idref="sect244"><link-text>Turn to 244</link-text>.</choice>
1129      </data>
1130     </section>
1131
1132     <section class="numbered" id="sect7">
1133      <meta><title>7</title></meta>
1134
1135      <data>
1136        <p>As the last of the thugs exhales his final breath and crashes to the ground, you make a cursory search of their bodies and discover the following items:</p>
1137        <ul>
1138         <li>6 Daggers</li>
1139         <li>2 Swords</li>
1140         <li>3 Gold Crowns</li>
1141         <li>6 Nobles</li>
1142        </ul>
1143        <p>You hurry along the alley and emerge into an open courtyard. Here the women of Masama are selling their wares, spread out upon gaily-decorated market stalls. Unlike at the warehouses and emporia of the quayside, the people who attend this market all appear to be natives of the city. As you pass by one stall you overhear two women talking about a place called Kitaezi. One of them insists that the whole city has been placed under a curse. You are about to turn back and ask them more about this city when suddenly you are approached by a tall woman who is swathed from head to foot in a fine blue robe. Anxiously she asks if you are a healer, and her piercing grey eyes continually dart to the satchel slung over your shoulder. It is as if she knows that you are carrying the Moonstone.</p>
1144
1145        <illustration class="inline">
1146         <meta>
1147          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1148         </meta>
1149         <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="115"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1150         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="115"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1151         <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="115"/>
1152        </illustration>
1153
1154        <p>Your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that she means you no harm. You sense that she is greatly troubled and, when you ask what is wrong, she says that her daughter, Harni, is gravely ill. She pleads with you to come and help her and, although you deny that you are a healer, you feel compelled to answer her desperate plea for help.</p>
1155        <choice idref="sect119"><link-text>Turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
1156      </data>
1157     </section>
1158
1159     <section class="numbered" id="sect8">
1160      <meta><title>8</title></meta>
1161
1162      <data>
1163        <p>You take your seats and the croupier deals out five cards to each player. Gregor wins the first round, and the second, and the third. Very soon it becomes apparent that he is quite an expert at Lourdenian Draw. After little more than a dozen rounds of play he has collected over 50 Nobles. For your part, you make use of your Magnakai Disciplines to help you win a more modest sum.</p>
1164        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If the number you have picked is odd (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9), you win 4 Nobles. If the number you have picked is even (i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8, or 0) you win 6 Nobles (1 Noble = 1 Gold Crown).</p>
1165        <p>The other players become disgruntled and one by one they leave the table. Soon there are not enough players to be able to continue, and when no new players come forward the croupier declares the game closed. Grinning like a well fed cat, Gregor pockets his winnings and together you leave the Lucky Horse Inn and continue your walk along the main street. Soon you arrive at the Lourdenian Consulate where a guard at the gate allows you both to enter and wait in its cool, tree-shaded courtyard. A few minutes later you are met by the consul<ch.apos/>s assistant, a rotund little official called Cheary. He is shocked to hear of the pirate attack, and he urges Gregor to accompany him inside the consulate to make a full written report. He says that it could take several hours, possibly even a day or two, and so you decide that now is a good time to say farewell to your companion. Before you go, Gregor offers you his heartfelt thanks for all you have done for him, and he hopes that one day soon your paths will cross again.</p>
1166        <p><quote>If you should ever visit Pforodon,</quote> he says, <quote>stop by the Singing Lamb Tavern on Spike Street. If I<ch.apos/>m not there, the landlord will know where you can find me.</quote></p>
1167        <p>You wish Gregor a safe journey home, and then you leave the consulate and make your way back along the main street to the harbour. The heat and dust of the afternoon are making you thirsty and so you stop to drink from a freshwater fountain set into the wall of a crumbling old temple. The hustle and noise of the street crowd is becoming oppressive and you yearn to find somewhere quiet where you can rest before you return to the ship. Looking around, you notice two places which promise some respite. The first is a public park which stands upon a cliff that looms above the city to the east of the harbour wall. The second is a narrow, deserted alley that wends its way into the city<ch.apos/>s Old Quarter.</p>
1168        <choice idref="sect291">If you wish to visit the park, <link-text>turn to 291</link-text>.</choice>
1169        <choice idref="sect126">If you choose to explore the city<ch.apos/>s Old Quarter, <link-text>turn to 126</link-text>.</choice>
1170      </data>
1171     </section>
1172
1173     <section class="numbered" id="sect9">
1174      <meta><title>9</title></meta>
1175
1176      <data>
1177        <p>You land a metre short of the grassy edge and fall headlong into the deep dark pit. The base of this trap does not contain sharpened stakes or any other such deadly contrivances, yet it proves to be just as fatal when you are knocked unconscious upon hitting its rocky base. Tragically, you never regain consciousness; the villagers close in and finish you off with their bows.</p>
1178        <deadend>Your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1179      </data>
1180     </section>
1181
1182     <section class="numbered" id="sect10">
1183      <meta><title>10</title></meta>
1184
1185      <data>
1186        <p>You hear the spear come whistling towards you and instinctively you dive headlong through the doorway to avoid it hitting you in the back. Your lightning-fast reflexes save your life, but they do not save you from injury. As you dive, you lose your footing and fall heavily at the base of a spiral staircase: lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1187        <choice idref="sect59"><link-text>Turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
1188      </data>
1189     </section>
1190
1191     <section class="numbered" id="sect11">
1192      <meta><title>11</title></meta>
1193
1194      <data>
1195        <p>As you leap, you draw your legs up high enough to avoid being slashed by the creature<ch.apos/>s talons. On landing you quickly retrieve your Kai Weapon and turn to attack the beast before it can fully recover its senses.</p>
1196        <combat><enemy>Zh<ch.uuml/>rc</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">51</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">39</enemy-attribute></combat>
1197        <p>Due to the advantage of your initial attack, ignore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses that you sustain in the first round of this fight. If the Kai Weapon you wield is <quote>Valiance</quote>, you may apply the bonus gained due to its unique properties.</p>
1198        <choice idref="sect50">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
1199      </data>
1200     </section>
1201
1202     <section class="numbered" id="sect12">
1203      <meta><title>12</title></meta>
1204
1205      <data>
1206        <p>As you tumble over the side of the boat, the tip of the officer<ch.apos/>s half-pike misses you by inches. Upon hitting the water you sink like a stone, but your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus soon frees you from the cord that binds your wrists and you are able to strike out for the distant shore. Only once you have passed beyond the shadow of Sesketera<ch.apos/>s flagship do you dare come up for air. As you break the surface, you notice that the crew of <cite>The Triasus</cite> are scouring the sea, straining themselves to catch a glimpse of where you are. A marine on the prow deck spots you and, to your surprise, Sesketera<ch.apos/>s crew begin to laugh and jeer.</p>
1207        <p>You are trying to fathom the reason for their laughter when suddenly you are struck in the back by a heavy, powerful blow.</p>
1208        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If the number you have picked is odd (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9) reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 3. If the number you have picked is even (i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8, or 0) reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 5.</p>
1209        <choice idref="sect243">To continue, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1210      </data>
1211     </section>
1212
1213     <section class="numbered" id="sect13">
1214      <meta><title>13</title></meta>
1215
1216      <data>
1217        <p>You are awoken during the night by the sound of squeaking. You prise open your eyes and, using your infravision, you see a pair of rats are busily gnawing at your Backpack. You lash out with your fist and they run squealing for the safety of the darkness.</p>
1218        <p>Any food (Meals) that you have in your Backpack has been spoiled by the rats (erase all Meals from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
1219        <p>After this disturbance, you find it difficult to return to sleep. Erase 1 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point due to a broken night<ch.apos/>s rest.</p>
1220        <choice idref="sect66"><link-text>Turn to 66</link-text>.</choice>
1221      </data>
1222     </section>
1223
1224     <section class="numbered" id="sect14">
1225      <meta><title>14</title></meta>
1226
1227      <data>
1228        <p>Quickly you take your musical instrument from your backpack and play the first few verses of the Eldenoran national anthem, entitled <quote>Mighty Duadon</quote>. The loutish Eldenorans begin to cheer and stamp on the taproom floor in time to the music when they recognize their banal battle song. Soon they are all singing along, including the captain who releases his grip and lets the gasping crewman drop in a heap to the taproom floor as he joins in with the chorus.</p>
1229        <p>You motion to the others that now would be a good time to leave. Without a word they move towards the door, pausing only to pick up their injured comrade as they go. The Eldenorans are soon singing so loudly that they do not notice when you cease playing and hurry out of the tavern. You join the others outside and laugh with them at the incredible stupidity of the Eldenorans. It is hollow laughter, but at least it helps to relieve the frustration of having to return early to <cite>The Azan</cite>.</p>
1230        <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1231      </data>
1232     </section>
1233
1234     <section class="numbered" id="sect15">
1235      <meta><title>15</title></meta>
1236
1237      <data>
1238        <p>The boat scrapes aground on the stony shore and you take your first few tentative steps upon the soil of this legendary isle. As you ascend the beach, instinct prompts you to unbuckle your satchel and remove the Moonstone which is now aglow and throbbing rhythmically, like the beat of a giant<ch.apos/>s heart. As you raise it before you, cupped reverently in both hands, the clouds part and you are bathed in a cone of brilliant sunlight.</p>
1239        <p>Through the blinding glare of the sun<ch.apos/>s rays you see a procession of robed figures moving down the beach towards you. Tall and proud and enigmatically graceful, they each shine with a unique radiance that reveals the goodly power of their ancient arcane wizardry. Silently these Shianti encircle you and your senses become charged with a new vitality that instantly obliterates the fatigue of your long passage across the Sea of Dreams. (You may restore your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points total to its original score.) Then one of the divine beings moves nearer and, when you look into his eyes, you see your own image reflected there in his mirrored pupils.</p>
1240        <p><thought>Welcome, Grand Master,</thought> he says without speaking, his lyrical voice forming the words in your mind. <thought>We have prayed for your safe arrival. We praise you for the skill and courage you have shown during your long and difficult voyage to our realm. Come with us, for now you may rest awhile. Your quest is done.</thought></p>
1241
1242       <illustration class="float">
1243        <meta>
1244         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1245         <description><em>Welcome, Grand Master,</em> he says without speaking. <em>We have prayed for your safe arrival.</em></description>
1246        </meta>
1247        <instance class="html" src="ill1.png" width="386" height="621"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1248        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill1.gif" width="621" height="649"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1249        <instance class="pdf" src="ill1.pdf" width="386" height="621" />
1250       </illustration>
1251
1252        <choice idref="sect350"><link-text>Turn to 350</link-text>.</choice>
1253      </data>
1254     </section>
1255
1256     <section class="numbered" id="sect16">
1257      <meta><title>16</title></meta>
1258
1259      <data>
1260        <p>You climb the stairs to the foredeck and scan the horizon for signs of a pirate raider. Less than a mile away you can see a huge vessel with a purple mainsail sailing towards the strait. Captain Radyard appears at your side and he views the approaching craft through his telescope.</p>
1261
1262        <illustration class="inline">
1263         <meta>
1264          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1265         </meta>
1266         <instance class="html" src="small4.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1267         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small4.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1268         <instance class="pdf" src="small4.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1269        </illustration>
1270
1271        <p><quote>Weigh anchor!</quote> he orders. <quote>Unfurl all canvas. I want every ounce of speed she<ch.apos/>ll give us, lads.</quote> The captain<ch.apos/>s urgent orders stir the crew into a frenzy of activity. As they set about their duties, you ask Radyard what is wrong. Without taking his eye from his telescope he says:</p>
1272        <p><quote>That<ch.apos/>s Sesketera<ch.apos/>s flagship<ch.emdash/><cite>The Triasus</cite>. I<ch.apos/>d recognize her sails anywhere. That scoundrel must want you badly to have sent the pride of his battle fleet after the likes of us.</quote></p>
1273        <p>With all canvas lowered, the <cite>Seasprite</cite> cuts a rapid course through the glassy blue waters of Kastrow<ch.apos/>s Door. Yet <cite>The Triasus</cite> has the advantage and relentlessly she closes the gap until no more than 30 yards of water separate her from the <cite>Seasprite</cite><ch.apos/>s starboard beam. The Siyenese cajole and curse and wave their fists at their pursuers, but their bravado soon crumbles when they find themselves staring into the muzzles of a double row of wide-bored naval cannon. A warning shot from a swivel gun whistles through the <cite>Seasprite</cite><ch.apos/>s rigging, and then you hear the voice of Sesketera himself.</p>
1274        <p><quote>Surrender the Northlander to me, captain,</quote> he shouts, through a loudhailer, <quote>or I<ch.apos/>ll have my gunners blow your ship out of the water!</quote></p>
1275        <p>Radyard glances at you with fear in his eyes. He knows that he cannot outrun <cite>The Triasus</cite>, and he also knows that Sesketera is not a man who is given to making idle threats.</p>
1276        <choice idref="sect113">If you wish to volunteer to surrender to Sesketera in order to save Captain Radyard and his ship, <link-text>turn to 113</link-text>.</choice>
1277        <choice idref="sect92">If you decide instead to abandon the <cite>Seasprite</cite> and attempt to swim for the shore, <link-text>turn to 92</link-text>.</choice>
1278      </data>
1279     </section>
1280
1281     <section class="numbered" id="sect17">
1282      <meta><title>17</title></meta>
1283
1284      <data>
1285        <p>You recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Levitation</spell> and rise rapidly into the air. Moments later a second bolt of energy leaps from the elder<ch.apos/>s hand, but this passes harmlessly below your feet. The old man emits a cry of shocked surprise at your sudden ascension, and then he runs towards the village, shrieking hysterically.</p>
1286        <p>You speak the words which counter the spell and glide gently back to the ground. You hear the elder calling the men of the village to gather their weapons. He denounces you, and he orders that his men capture you and put you to the sword. Quickly you turn and run towards the ridge. You are determined to reach the trail that lies beyond it and make a speedy escape from this village and its evil leader.</p>
1287        <choice idref="sect145"><link-text>Turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
1288      </data>
1289     </section>
1290
1291     <section class="numbered" id="sect18">
1292      <meta><title>18</title></meta>
1293
1294      <data>
1295        <p>You apologize to your companions and ask them to wait for you outside the hall<ch.apos/>s double doors. Meekly the Suhnese agree, and as they file out of the hall you assure them that they will not have to wait too long. You then accompany the guildsman to his chambers where he attempts to drive a hard bargain for the copper. He offers you 6 Nobles for each ingot and says that it is his best and final price. It is not a very good price and you tell him that you will have to speak with Jenkshi before you can agree to his offer.</p>
1296        <p><quote>Very well,</quote> he says. <quote>I<ch.apos/>m sure your captain is a reasonable man. I feel confident we<ch.apos/>ll do business.</quote></p>
1297        <p>From an ornate cabinet he removes a decanter and two long-stemmed glasses. He then pours two glasses of liqueur and offers one of them to you.</p>
1298        <choice idref="sect72">If you possess Grand Pathsmanship, <link-text>turn to 72</link-text>.</choice>
1299        <choice idref="sect324">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 324</link-text>.</choice>
1300      </data>
1301     </section>
1302
1303     <section class="numbered" id="sect19">
1304      <meta><title>19</title></meta>
1305
1306      <data>
1307        <p>Quickly you recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Lightning Hand</spell> and extend your arm towards the head of the creature. A bolt of blue-white fire leaps from your fingers and explodes when it strikes the being, drawing out a shriek of agony. You sense that your attack has weakened this magical beast, and you rush forward to strike it with your Kai Weapon while you have the advantage.</p>
1308        <combat><enemy>Tzoog</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">45</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
1309        <p>This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge). If you possess the Kai Weapon <quote>Valiance</quote>, add <ch.plus/>8 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> (instead of <ch.plus/>5).</p>
1310        <choice idref="sect149">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
1311      </data>
1312     </section>
1313
1314     <section class="numbered" id="sect20">
1315      <meta><title>20</title></meta>
1316
1317      <data>
1318        <p>The natives are angry. They come running towards the river bank, screaming and slashing the air with their primitive weapons. Their leader shouts at you and, although his dialect is unfamiliar, you are able to understand enough to hear that the man you have saved from the river is a thief and a murderer. He escaped from the settlement last night during the rainstorm, and the leader is accusing you of being his accomplice and of helping him to escape. He says that the river gods have brought you back to their village to pay for your crimes. You attempt to protest your innocence but the leader refuses to listen. He confiscates all of your equipment, including your Kai Weapon, your Belt Pouch, your Backpack, and the satchel containing the Moonstone, and then he has his men march you away to their village where you are locked in a hut. Shouting through the closed door, he tells you that the village elders will meet tomorrow at noon to decide your fate.</p>
1319        <p>A few hours later you overhear two guards outside the hut and you are shocked to learn that the man you saved from the river has since been executed. They say that the elders of the village decreed that he should be weighted with rocks and thrown back into the water. You have no wish to suffer a similar fate and so you quickly set about finding a way to escape from this hut.</p>
1320        <choice idref="sect328">If you possess Assimilance and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 328</link-text>.</choice>
1321        <choice idref="sect151">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 151</link-text>.</choice>
1322        <choice idref="sect3">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 3</link-text>.</choice>
1323        <choice idref="sect226">If you possess none of these Disciplines, or if you choose not to use any of them, <link-text>turn to 226</link-text>.</choice>
1324      </data>
1325     </section>
1326
1327     <section class="numbered" id="sect21">
1328      <meta><title>21</title></meta>
1329
1330      <data>
1331        <p>Carefully the old man wraps the doll in a square of linen while you count out 10 Gold Crowns from your Belt Pouch. With trembling hands he takes the coins and gives the package which you place into your Backpack.</p>
1332        <p>Record the Nhang Doll on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item, and remember to subtract 10 Gold Crowns from your current total.</p>
1333        <choice idref="sect204">To leave the curio shop and continue, <link-text>turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
1334      </data>
1335     </section>
1336
1337     <section class="numbered" id="sect22">
1338      <meta><title>22</title></meta>
1339
1340      <data>
1341        <p><quote>Thanks<ch.ellips/>for nothing,</quote> you say, as you walk out of the warehouse and return to the square. As you are looking around and wondering where next to go, you suddenly notice that there is something happening at the end of a street that leads away from the quayside. You decide to investigate and you soon discover that the street leads to a large courtyard. Here the women of Masama are selling their wares, spread out upon gaily-decorated market stalls. Unlike at the warehouses and emporia at the quayside, the people who attend this market all appear to be natives of the city. As you pass by one stall you overhear two women talking about a place called Kitaezi. One of them is insisting that the whole city has been placed under a curse. You are about to turn back and ask her more about this city when suddenly you are approached by a tall woman who is swathed from head to toe in a fine blue robe. Anxiously she asks if you are a healer, and her piercing grey eyes continually dart to the satchel slung over your shoulder. It is as if she knows that you are carrying the Moonstone.</p>
1342
1343        <illustration class="inline">
1344         <meta>
1345          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1346         </meta>
1347         <instance class="html" src="small5.png" width="386" height="115"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1348         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small5.gif" width="386" height="115"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1349         <instance class="pdf" src="small5.pdf" width="386" height="115"/>
1350        </illustration>
1351
1352        <p>Your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that she means you no harm. You sense that she is greatly troubled, and when you ask what is wrong, she says that her daughter, Harni, is gravely ill. She pleads with you to come and help her, and although you deny that you are a healer, you feel compelled to answer her desperate plea for help.</p>
1353        <choice idref="sect119"><link-text>Turn to 119</link-text>.</choice>
1354      </data>
1355     </section>
1356
1357     <section class="numbered" id="sect23">
1358      <meta><title>23</title></meta>
1359
1360      <data>
1361        <p>The tavern is a large establishment that boasts several counters and taprooms, each serving a different variety of food and ale. It is also a popular establishment and it is crowded with scribes and labourers who work at the warehouses in this district. You make your way to a counter where you are greeted by a strong aroma of spices and beer.</p>
1362        <choice idref="sect201">If you wish to buy some food and ale, <link-text>turn to 201</link-text>.</choice>
1363        <choice idref="sect42">If you wish to ask the barman if he knows where you may find Lord Zinair, <link-text>turn to 42</link-text>.</choice>
1364      </data>
1365     </section>
1366
1367     <section class="numbered" id="sect24">
1368      <meta><title>24</title></meta>
1369
1370      <data>
1371        <p>You leave your cell and make your way silently along towards the guardroom. You are determined to retrieve your Kai Weapon and equipment, but you are also aware that you must avoid alerting the guards if you are to preserve your hopes of escaping from this gaol alive.</p>
1372        <p>Peering around the door to the guardroom you discover that it is occupied by three gaolers. They are playing cards, and they are using the crate which contains your equipment as a makeshift table. In order to get at your equipment you must first lure the gaolers out of the room.</p>
1373        <choice idref="sect234">If you possess Assimilance and have attained the rank of Kai Grand Master Superior, <link-text>turn to 234</link-text>.</choice>
1374        <choice idref="sect302">If you possess the Discipline of Grand Nexus and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 302</link-text>.</choice>
1375        <choice idref="sect130">If you do not possess these skills, have yet to attain the required level of Kai Mastery, or choose not to use your skills, <link-text>turn instead to 130</link-text>.</choice>
1376      </data>
1377     </section>
1378
1379     <section class="numbered" id="sect25">
1380      <meta><title>25</title></meta>
1381
1382      <data>
1383        <p>Gemulkin orders the crew to hoist the sails and secure the decks before the <cite>Vargas</cite> plunges into the heart of the raging storm. You brace yourself for the rough passage, yet you are stunned by the sheer, breathtaking violence of the storm. It pounds the decks and lifts the hull clear from the water. As the ship lurches wildly, you are thrown across the aft deck and slammed against the wheelhouse: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1384        <p>Through the blinding spray, you see the helmsman lose his footing and fall overboard. His cry alerts Gemulkin who battles his way bravely to the ship<ch.apos/>s wheel. To prevent himself from being swept overboard, he fixes his belt to the hub of the wheel and then he fights to turn his ship into a towering wave, to save her from capsizing. A mighty wave crashes against the prow and Gemulkin<ch.apos/>s courageous action saves the <cite>Vargas</cite> from being split it two. It rides the wave and emerges from the storm into calmer waters beyond. You thank Ishir that you have survived this ordeal, yet it soon becomes apparent that the storm is merely the prelude to an even greater threat to the ship<ch.apos/>s survival.</p>
1385
1386        <illustration class="inline">
1387         <meta>
1388          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1389         </meta>
1390         <instance class="html" src="small11.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1391         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small11.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1392         <instance class="pdf" src="small11.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1393        </illustration>
1394
1395        <choice idref="sect230"><link-text>Turn to 230</link-text>.</choice>
1396      </data>
1397     </section>
1398
1399     <section class="numbered" id="sect26">
1400      <meta><title>26</title></meta>
1401
1402      <data>
1403        <p>As you leap from the parapet of the harbour bridge, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Invisible Shield</spell> to help protect yourself from the arrows that are now whistling past on all sides. It is a precaution that saves you from sustaining a serious wound. As you fall, you see an arrow deflected away from your chest by this invisible barrier.</p>
1404        <choice idref="sect280"><link-text>Turn to 280</link-text>.</choice>
1405      </data>
1406     </section>
1407
1408     <section class="numbered" id="sect27">
1409      <meta><title>27</title></meta>
1410
1411      <data>
1412        <p>Defiantly you face the onrushing villagers with your Kai Weapon raised in your hand. They continue to fire their bows as they close upon you and several arrows strike you simultaneously in the chest. You are consumed by a sudden wave of darkness that obliterates your senses and, although you struggle to overcome come it, this proves to be one battle that you cannot win.</p>
1413        <deadend>Tragically, your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1414      </data>
1415     </section>
1416
1417     <section class="numbered" id="sect28">
1418      <meta><title>28</title></meta>
1419
1420      <data>
1421        <p>You roll aside in a desperate attempt to avoid being crushed by the falling section of mast. Your swift action saves your life as the shattered timber slams through the decking, but unfortunately you do not move swiftly enough to avoid being struck on the head by a mass of trailing ropes and debris: lose 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1422        <choice idref="sect160"><link-text>Turn to 160</link-text>.</choice>
1423      </data>
1424     </section>
1425
1426     <section class="numbered" id="sect29">
1427      <meta><title>29</title></meta>
1428
1429      <data>
1430        <p>You collect and pay for your food and eat it outside. After your meal, you continue along the trade road which soon enters a dense timberland. It is an uncomfortably hot and humid region, and you are made to feel even more uncomfortable by swarms of tiny insects that bite any exposed areas of your flesh (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). Judging by the number of bites you sustain, you suspect that these insects consider Sommlending flesh to be something of a delicacy.</p>
1431        <p>As the sun approaches the horizon, the road passes a high plateau before descending towards the shimmering green waters of the Jazer Strait. The city of Jazer nestles in a wooded bay and you arrive at its east gate shortly after sunset. A notice board fixed to the gatehouse wall informs you that you have missed the last ferry, a service which carries road travellers across the strait to connect to the trade road to Tiklu and beyond. The next ferry leaves tomorrow morning at an hour after dawn. It is a warm night, and as you wander through the streets of this city, you contemplate where you should best spend it.</p>
1432        <choice idref="sect138">If you wish to find lodgings for the night, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
1433        <choice idref="sect203">If you decide to sleep in the open, <link-text>turn to 203</link-text>.</choice>
1434      </data>
1435     </section>
1436
1437     <section class="numbered" id="sect30">
1438      <meta><title>30</title></meta>
1439
1440      <data>
1441        <p>You push open the swing doors and enter a crowded taproom. Never have you seen so many different types of people and faces together in one place before, and it takes you a few moments to get over your initial surprise. Nobody pays you a second glance as you push your way through this exotic crowd of traders and travellers and make your way to the counter.</p>
1442        <p>When you find the landlord you ask if he knows or has heard of Captain Radyard. The man laughs like a drain and nods his head enthusiastically.</p>
1443        <p><quote>Yes, yes, oh yes<ch.ellips/>Radyard. Him and his men stay here two nights ago. Fine men<ch.ellips/>good drinkers<ch.ellips/>fine fellows. They come here always when in Masama.</quote></p>
1444        <p>The landlord goes on to say that he has not seen them since. He suggests that you ask at the Masama Warehouse. It is the place where they usually sell their cargo. You thank the landlord and turn to leave. As you reach the exit, you are tapped on the shoulder by a weasel-faced man who begs for a moment of your time.</p>
1445        <p><quote>Excuse me, sir,</quote> he says, <quote>but I overheard you asking for Captain Radyard. I know the captain and I can take you to him. Only<ch.ellips/>well, I<ch.apos/>ve a great thirst and I<ch.apos/>m in sore need of some ale. Perhaps you would buy me an ale? Then I<ch.apos/>d gladly take you to the captain.</quote></p>
1446        <choice idref="sect264">If you wish to buy the man an ale, <link-text>turn to 264</link-text>.</choice>
1447        <choice idref="sect83">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 83</link-text>.</choice>
1448      </data>
1449     </section>
1450
1451     <section class="numbered" id="sect31">
1452      <meta><title>31</title></meta>
1453
1454      <data>
1455        <p>You grab the sides of the ladder and climb towards the hatch. The rungs are slippery and the slick leather of your soles does not make for a speedy ascent. Then you hear a loud hissing and you look down to see that the creature is directly below you. Suddenly the ladder lurches violently as the ship is struck by another wave. There is a loud roar, and then the hatch above your head collapses and you are hit by a deluge of seawater that sweeps you off the ladder. You crash down upon the creature<ch.apos/>s head, stunning it, and the force of your fall sends it reeling to the floor.</p>
1456        <p>Frantically you scramble to your feet and reach for your Kai Weapon to finish the beast before it can recover. But to your horror you discover that your weapon is not at your side; it fell from your belt when you were swept off the ladder. You look around and catch sight of it sliding across the floor towards the bulkhead door.</p>
1457        <choice idref="sect227">If you wish to retrieve your Kai Weapon, <link-text>turn to 227</link-text>.</choice>
1458        <choice idref="sect176">If you choose to attack the beast with a normal Weapon before it fully recovers, <link-text>turn to 176</link-text>.</choice>
1459      </data>
1460     </section>
1461
1462     <section class="numbered" id="sect32">
1463      <meta><title>32</title></meta>
1464
1465      <data>
1466        <p>The avenue leads to an enclosed courtyard that has two exits, both of which are sealed off by chained iron gates. Suddenly you hear the sounds of the city watch drawing closer; they are sure to enter the courtyard within a few minutes at most.</p>
1467        <choice idref="sect210">If you wish to evade the city watch by hiding in one of the houses that border upon this courtyard, <link-text>turn to 210</link-text>.</choice>
1468        <choice idref="sect52">If you decide to stand and face them, <link-text>turn to 52</link-text>.</choice>
1469      </data>
1470     </section>
1471
1472     <section class="numbered" id="sect33">
1473      <meta><title>33</title></meta>
1474
1475      <data>
1476        <p>Two hours pass before the door to your cell is opened and an apologetic Hiojin appears. He is now convinced that you are not an assassin and, fearing a diplomatic row with the Dessian ambassador, he apologizes repeatedly for your arrest. He has your Weapons restored to you, and then he escorts you personally in a horse-drawn carriage to Lord Zinair<ch.apos/>s residence<ch.emdash/>the Dessian Consulate<ch.emdash/>in the city<ch.apos/>s North Quarter.</p>
1477        <p>As the toadying officer and his carriage depart, you turn to face the entrance to the consulate building. With mounting anticipation, you climb the front steps and knock on its stout oak door.</p>
1478        <choice idref="sect250"><link-text>Turn to 250</link-text>.</choice>
1479      </data>
1480     </section>
1481
1482     <section class="numbered" id="sect34">
1483      <meta><title>34</title></meta>
1484
1485      <data>
1486        <p>You summon the energies of the Old Kingdom Spell <spell>Power Word</spell> and project them at a shelf of loose rock that overhangs the crevice. It shudders as the concussive energy of your spell slams into it. Moments later it collapses and comes crashing down, severing the rope like a guillotine as it tumbles past the crevice to disappear into the gorge below.</p>
1487        <p>As the floor of the bridge ceases to sway, you quickly remount your horse and coax him across to the far side. You can hear angry voices echoing from the gorge as you spur him to the gallop and escape along the jungle trail that continues beyond the bridge.</p>
1488        <choice idref="sect205"><link-text>Turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1489      </data>
1490     </section>
1491
1492     <section class="numbered" id="sect35">
1493      <meta><title>35</title></meta>
1494
1495      <data>
1496        <p>You awake early the following morning, just as the pre-dawn light is brightening the night sky. Captain Jenkshi and his crew have also risen early to ensure that <cite>The Azan</cite> is the first ship to leave Zharloum this morning. Shortly before dawn they weigh anchor and turn the ship about, and by the time the sun crests the horizon, you are already more than a mile away from Zharloum harbour, riding the morning tide ahead of a bracing westerly wind. Jenkshi tells you that the next port of call will be the city-state of Ghol-Tabras where you will dock in four days<ch.apos/> time to take on supplies of fresh water.</p>
1497        <p>The first day out of Zharloum passes without incident. Then, around noon of the second day, the ship heads south as it leaves the Tentarium and enters the Gulf of Ralzuha. You are sitting on the foredeck, enjoying the sun and the splendid views of the rugged isles and coastline, when suddenly you notice something in the distance that makes your pulse race. You magnify your vision and see that it is a plume of smoke. It is rising from the hull of a burning ship located close to a cluster of rocky islets. As <cite>The Azan</cite> draws closer, you are able to see that a flag is hanging from a broken masthead which lies draped over the vessel<ch.apos/>s smouldering stern. It is a green flag with scarlet edging, surmounted by a large silver fish. The sight of this flag makes you swallow hard for it is identical to the flag that flies from the mast of <cite>The Azan</cite>. It is the flag of a Suhnese trader.</p>
1498
1499       <illustration class="float">
1500        <meta>
1501         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1502         <description>A flag hangs from a broken masthead<ch.ellips/>a green flag surmounted by a large silver fish.</description>
1503        </meta>
1504        <instance class="html" src="ill2.png" width="386" height="621"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1505        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill2.gif" width="386" height="621"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1506        <instance class="pdf" src="ill2.pdf" width="386" height="621" />
1507       </illustration>
1508
1509        <p>When Captain Jenkshi and his men first see this flag for themselves, they become very anxious about what may have happened to the crew of this stricken vessel. Many of them have fathers, sons, and brothers who work Suhnese ships in these waters. They urge the captain to search for survivors and he grants his consent readily.</p>
1510        <p><quote>Steer towards the wreck, Tolshi,</quote> he says, ordering his helmsman to change course, <quote>and I want all other hands on deck immediately. Everyone is on lookout duty.</quote></p>
1511
1512        <choice idref="sect111">If you possess the Grand Master Discipline of Telegnosis, <link-text>turn to 111</link-text>.</choice>
1513        <choice idref="sect195">If you do not possess this skill, <link-text>turn to 195</link-text>.</choice>
1514      </data>
1515     </section>
1516
1517     <section class="numbered" id="sect36">
1518      <meta><title>36</title></meta>
1519
1520      <data>
1521        <p>You leave the tavern door and walk back along the waterfront. Beyond the ferry station is a marine timber yard and a chandler<ch.apos/>s warehouse. The smell of freshly-sawn timber reminds you of the Fryelund Forest which surrounds your Kai Monastery. It is a memory that makes you feel a little homesick. The timber yard is deserted and so you decide that you will sleep this night among its fragrant stacks of pine and mountain oak.</p>
1522        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1523        <choice idref="sect211">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 211</link-text>.</choice>
1524        <choice idref="sect13">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 13</link-text>.</choice>
1525      </data>
1526     </section>
1527
1528     <section class="numbered" id="sect37">
1529      <meta><title>37</title></meta>
1530
1531      <data>
1532        <p>You muster your psychic power and launch a Mindblast at the officer. The man begins to shake. Then he drops his pistol and clutches his head with both hands. His sudden shriek of agony alarms the marines and, in the confusion, you are able to take a deep breath and throw yourself over the side.</p>
1533        <p>Your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus soon frees you from the cord that binds your wrists and you strike out for the distant shore. Only once you have passed beyond the shadow of Sesketera<ch.apos/>s flagship do you dare come up for air. As you break the surface, you notice that the crew of <cite>The Triasus</cite> are scouring the sea, straining themselves to catch a glimpse of where you are. A marine on the prow deck spots you and, to your surprise, Sesketera<ch.apos/>s crew begin to laugh and jeer.</p>
1534        <p>You are trying to fathom the reason for their laughter when suddenly you are struck in the back by a heavy, powerful blow.</p>
1535        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If the number you have picked is odd (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9) reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 3. If the number you have picked is even (i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8, or 0) reduce your <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score by 5.</p>
1536        <choice idref="sect243">To continue, <link-text>turn to 243</link-text>.</choice>
1537      </data>
1538     </section>
1539
1540     <section class="numbered" id="sect38">
1541      <meta><title>38</title></meta>
1542
1543      <data>
1544        <p>You run through the darkening jungle forest and do not stop until you are sure that your pursuers have abandoned the chase. After a brief rest you press on through the dense moss-covered trees, relying solely upon your tracking skills to keep you moving in a southerly direction. At last you emerge from the jungle and rejoin the trail shortly after dawn the following day. In the distance you see a bridge across a steep-banked river. A glance at your <a idref="map">map</a> tells you that this is a tributary of the River Ito, and you decide to stop here to rest for an hour before continuing your hard trek to Caeno on foot.</p>
1545        <p>Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1546        <choice idref="sect300">To continue, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
1547      </data>
1548     </section>
1549
1550     <section class="numbered" id="sect39">
1551      <meta><title>39</title></meta>
1552
1553      <data>
1554        <p>Your heart misses a beat the instant you recognize the face of this unhappy young woman. It is Oriah, the highborn daughter of the Funtal of Fio Fadali, the runaway who travelled with you aboard <cite>The Pride of Sommerlund</cite> on its ill-fated voyage out of Barrakeesh. Ever since she was abducted in the mountain town of Kilij you thought it unlikely that you would ever see her again. Yet here she sits, alone and dejected in a hall that is overflowing with an abundance of riches.</p>
1555        <p><quote>Oriah?</quote> you whisper hesitantly, hardly daring to believe that it is really her. She raises her head and her eyes widen with shocked surprise when she sees you. Then a smile, filled with hope and joy, lights up her tear-streaked face. She leaps from her chair and comes running to you to throw herself into your arms.</p>
1556        <p><quote>Oh, Grand Master,</quote> she sobs, <quote>I never thought that I<ch.apos/>d see you again. How did you know that I was here?</quote></p>
1557        <p>You tell Oriah of what has happened since you arrived in Ghol-Tabras, and that you had no idea that she was here at all. She explains that after she was abducted by slavers in Kilij, she was sold to Sesketera who brought her here to his citadel. She is to be kept imprisoned in this hall until their wedding day, one month from now.</p>
1558        <p><quote>Let us escape from this place together,</quote> you say, but she shakes her head.</p>
1559        <p><quote>No, it cannot be. Sesketera is holding my friends. They are his hostages. If I leave the citadel before our wedding day he will put them to the sword. I cannot leave. But I know how I may help you to escape. Come, Grand Master, follow me.</quote></p>
1560        <choice idref="sect78"><link-text>Turn to 78</link-text>.</choice>
1561      </data>
1562     </section>
1563
1564     <section class="numbered" id="sect40">
1565      <meta><title>40</title></meta>
1566
1567      <data>
1568        <p>You swallow a mouthful of the food and, to your surprise, it tastes remarkably good. Yet after a few moments you suddenly sense that something is seriously wrong. You begin to feel faint and light-headed, and you are having difficulty focusing clearly.</p>
1569        <p>Automatically your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus works to counteract the powerful narcotic that has been added to the food. It induces you to vomit (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points), and then it swiftly neutralizes the remaining toxins from your blood. The bald man realises from your reaction to his drugged food that you are a follower of the God Kai. He shrieks with rage and curses you in a vile language that you do not recognize. Even so, the mere sound of his curses sends a shiver of dread coursing down your spine, like a trickle of icy-cold water. He denounces you to the others as an agent of the City Council sent to spy on their meeting, and he orders them to attack and slay you. The men react slowly to his frantic commands. It is as if they are struggling to awaken from a deep sleep. You have no wish to fight these men and so you turn and run towards the park entrance to escape from them. As you reach the open gate, you glance over your shoulder to see that the bald man is preparing to hurl a dagger at your back.</p>
1570        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess the Disciplines of Grand Huntmastery <em>and</em> Grand Nexus, add 3 to the number you have picked.</p>
1571        <choice idref="sect241">If your total score is now 5 or less, <link-text>turn to 241</link-text>.</choice>
1572        <choice idref="sect135">If it is 6 or higher, <link-text>turn to 135</link-text>.</choice>
1573      </data>
1574     </section>
1575
1576     <section class="numbered" id="sect41">
1577      <meta><title>41</title></meta>
1578
1579      <data>
1580        <p>The bolt hits you and slams you to the ground, yet the protection afforded by your Grand Mastery absorbs much of its deadly power: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1581        <p>Stunned and shaken, you struggle to your feet and shake your head in an effort to clear your blurred vision. Images swirl before your eyes, weaving and coalescing to create a fearful sight. The flickering night-creature has fixed itself to the neck of your horse, like some nightmarish vampire. Tethered by his reins, your mount is unable to escape from the leech-like maw of this supernatural creature.</p>
1582        <choice idref="sect19">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
1583        <choice idref="sect122">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
1584        <choice idref="sect169">If you possess Kai-surge and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
1585        <choice idref="sect349">If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use any of them, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
1586      </data>
1587     </section>
1588
1589     <section class="numbered" id="sect42">
1590      <meta><title>42</title></meta>
1591
1592      <data>
1593        <p>The barman is reluctant to talk. You suspect the reason for this is because you have not had the courtesy to purchase some of his food and ale. When you repeat your question he replies curtly:</p>
1594        <p><quote>Lord Zinair of Dessi, you say. Yeah, I think I<ch.apos/>ve heard of him. Lives in the North Quarter some place. Don<ch.apos/>t know exactly. You<ch.apos/>d be best asking the City Guards. They<ch.apos/>ll be sure to sort you right.</quote></p>
1595        <p>You thank the man for his advice and then you leave the tavern and continue along the avenue. At length you arrive at a busy market square. On the far side of this square you see a City Guard patrol who are policing the market.</p>
1596        <p>Remembering the barman<ch.apos/>s advice, you decide to approach them and ask for their assistance. You are confident that they will know where Lord Zinair can be found.</p>
1597        <choice idref="sect172"><link-text>Turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1598      </data>
1599     </section>
1600
1601     <section class="numbered" id="sect43">
1602      <meta><title>43</title></meta>
1603
1604      <data>
1605        <p>As he stalks closer, Sesketera suddenly realises that you are not a native Shadakine. Your fair skin and your Kai tunic reveal to him that you are from the Northern continent of Magnamund.</p>
1606        <p><quote>By the ghost of Agarash,</quote> he hisses, through his gritted teeth, <quote>you<ch.apos/>re an infidel. You defile the House of Sesketera with your presence here. By the gods, I<ch.apos/>ll make you pay for this insult with your life!</quote></p>
1607        <p>Sesketera lifts the spear in his right hand and spins it by the haft. It is an impressive display of control which leaves you in no doubt that he is a formidable fighter.</p>
1608        <p><quote>Vengeance will be mine!</quote> he screams.</p>
1609
1610       <illustration class="float">
1611        <meta>
1612         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1613         <description><ch.lsquot/>Vengeance will be mine!<ch.rsquot/> screams Sesketera.</description>
1614        </meta>
1615        <instance class="html" src="ill3.png" width="386" height="565"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1616        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill3.gif" width="386" height="565"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1617        <instance class="pdf" src="ill3.pdf" width="386" height="565" />
1618       </illustration>
1619
1620        <choice idref="sect274">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 274</link-text>.</choice>
1621        <choice idref="sect245">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 245</link-text>.</choice>
1622      </data>
1623     </section>
1624
1625     <section class="numbered" id="sect44">
1626      <meta><title>44</title></meta>
1627
1628      <data>
1629        <p>Before you reach the top of the pit wall, the villagers close in and finish you off with arrows.</p>
1630        <deadend>Sadly, your life and your quest end here.</deadend>
1631      </data>
1632     </section>
1633
1634     <section class="numbered" id="sect45">
1635      <meta><title>45</title></meta>
1636
1637      <data>
1638        <p>As the last gaoler drops his club and falls lifelessly to the grimy floor, you stagger back against the wall and gasp for air. When you have recovered from the exertion of this deadly unarmed combat, you immediately set about dragging the bodies away into the corners of the cell, beyond the field of vision of anyone who should look through the peep hole in the door.</p>
1639        <p>While you are going about this grisly task, you notice an Iron Key hanging from a gaoler<ch.apos/>s belt. (Mark this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item. You need not discard another item in its favour if you are already carrying the maximum number of Special Items.) You leave the cell and lock the door using the bolt, and then you hurry along the corridor to the guardroom to retrieve your confiscated equipment (you may now erase the asterisks from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
1640        <p>As you are sheathing your Kai Weapon into your belt, you hear the sound of footsteps descending a flight of stone steps at the far end of the corridor. More gaolers are approaching; they have been drawn to investigate this lower level by the dying cries of their brother guards.</p>
1641        <p>Desperately you scan the walls of the guardroom for some means of escape and suddenly you see that there is one other exit from this room<ch.emdash/>a heavy oak door which is banded with strips of black iron. You rush to this door and twist its handle to discover it is locked. With the sound of the approaching footsteps growing ever louder in your ears, you take the Iron Key from your pocket and offer up a prayer to Ishir that it will open this door.</p>
1642        <choice idref="sect125"><link-text>Turn to 125</link-text>.</choice>
1643      </data>
1644     </section>
1645
1646     <section class="numbered" id="sect46">
1647      <meta><title>46</title></meta>
1648
1649      <data>
1650        <p>Your advanced Kai healing skills rapidly overcome the powerful toxins contained in the poison, yet this internal battle leaves you feeling weakened: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1651        <p>You stare defiantly at the man in the tree and his eyes widen with shock when he sees that you are still alive and standing.</p>
1652        <choice idref="sect343">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it to return fire at the sniper in the tree, <link-text>turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
1653        <choice idref="sect255">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
1654      </data>
1655     </section>
1656
1657     <section class="numbered" id="sect47">
1658      <meta><title>47</title></meta>
1659
1660      <data>
1661        <p>You utter the words of the Old Kingdom Spell <spell>Invisible Fist</spell> and project your hand at the creature<ch.apos/>s head. The force of your spell makes the beast stumble, but it quickly recovers its footing.</p>
1662        <p>Angered by the pain you have dealt it, the creature turns its ghastly stare on you and hisses vehemently. Quickly you reach to your Kai Weapon in readiness to defend yourself from its attack. Yet it does not attack you; it continues to stalk its chosen target. Gemulkin frees himself from the wheel, but before he can get away, the beast is upon him like a hungry lion. It grabs him by the throat and lifts him off the deck. You race across the slippery decking and raise your weapon to strike the creature in the side. Callously the beast hurls Gemulkin into the sea and then spins around to face you. Your first blow opens a wound in its chest, making it shriek loudly. But it recovers and it lashes out at you to connect with your shoulder. The force of the blow knocks you sideways and sends you sliding across the slick deck to fall headlong through an open cargo hatch.</p>
1663        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
1664        <choice idref="sect307">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 307</link-text>.</choice>
1665        <choice idref="sect266">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 266</link-text>.</choice>
1666      </data>
1667     </section>
1668
1669     <section class="numbered" id="sect48">
1670      <meta><title>48</title></meta>
1671
1672      <data>
1673        <p>You direct your Kai powers at the river in an attempt to divert its current and send the drowning man towards the safety of the bank. However, the current proves too strong to be altered using your Discipline of Elementalism alone, and you are physically and mentally weakened by the exertion of your attempt: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1674        <p>Having discovered that you cannot help the drowning man using your Grand Mastery alone, you are forced to resort to more direct and conventional methods. As he goes under for the last time, you dive into the muddy water and swim across the surging current. Guided by your Sixth Sense, you locate his body and then pull him to the surface. You fight to maintain your grip as the powerful current sweeps you downstream, and you are propelled along for more than a mile before it finally deposits you on the opposite bank. As you drag the man from the water, you notice a group of huts in the distance. You are about to haul the unconscious man over your shoulder and set off towards them, when suddenly you detect that he has no pulse. Using your Magnakai Discipline of Curing you are able to restart his heart and empty the water from his lungs, yet you are unable to restore him to full consciousness. The sudden sound of voices makes you look towards the huts where you see a group of natives pointing excitedly in your direction. They are all wearing jerkins and loincloths made from animal hide, clothing that is identical to that worn by the man you have saved from the river. You call to them and wave your arms to attract their attention and they quickly respond. You are expecting them to be pleased that you have saved one of their kinfolk, but as they come closer you are shocked by their unexpected response.</p>
1675        <choice idref="sect20"><link-text>Turn to 20</link-text>.</choice>
1676      </data>
1677     </section>
1678
1679     <section class="numbered" id="sect49">
1680      <meta><title>49</title></meta>
1681
1682      <data>
1683        <p>You leave the Tower of Truth and pass along a wide stone ramp that gently descends to the great canal that encircles the city of Elzian. Few of the city<ch.apos/>s Vakeros natives are abroad at this early hour and the streets and avenues are empty and quiet. A warm mist wreathes the barges and ships that are moored along the canal bank and, in the pre-dawn twilight, these vessels take on a ghostly appearance.</p>
1684        <p>By the time you find <cite>The Azan</cite>, the sun has broken through the mist and the city is beginning to stir. Captain Jenkshi and the crew of the Suhnese trader are busily preparing their ship to sail, yet they immediately stop their work to welcome you and Lord Rimoah aboard. Jenkshi is a lean, yellow-skinned man with wide almond eyes and a small blunt nose. His slick black hair is tied in a knot atop his head in the Suhnese style, a fashion that is also favoured by all his crewmen. He orders one of his men to show you to your cabin at the prow, but before you go you bid Lord Rimoah farewell and thank him for all that he and the Elder Magi have done to aid your quest.</p>
1685        <p>By the time <cite>The Azan</cite> is ready to sail, the mist has vanished. Having inspected your cabin you return to the foredeck where you settle yourself in the sun and enjoy the ever-changing views of the lush farmlands and Vakeros settlements which border upon the canal. For 90 miles this waterway cuts a wide furrow through the southern jungle of Dessi. To the east the horizon is dominated by a solitary mountain, and you marvel at its snowy peak which is the steepest you have ever seen.</p>
1686        <p><quote>That<ch.apos/>s <foreign xml:lang="x-dessian">Kas-kalahmout</foreign>,</quote> says one of the friendly Suhnese crewmen. <quote>In your language, I think it has the meaning: <em>Chair of the Heavens</em>.</quote></p>
1687        <p>By midday you come to the estuary of the canal and <cite>The Azan</cite> heads out into the open waters of the Gulf of Tentarium. Captain Jenkshi joins you on deck and offers to share some of his food. While you eat you learn from him that the voyage will take little more than three weeks to complete, including visits to ports of call along the way. You ask him about the notorious Shadakine pirates who plague these waters and he answers you with a shrug of his muscular shoulders.</p>
1688        <p><quote>Relax and enjoy the journey as best you can, my friend,</quote> he says, jovially, as he finishes his food and wipes his mouth on his silken shirt sleeve. <quote>You<ch.apos/>re in safe hands. I and my crew have sailed these waters all our lives and we<ch.apos/>ve yet to meet a buccaneer we can<ch.apos/>t outwit or outrun. Breathe easy. You<ch.apos/>ve nothing to fear from those mangy curs.</quote></p>
1689        <choice idref="sect277"><link-text>Turn to 277</link-text>.</choice>
1690      </data>
1691     </section>
1692
1693     <section class="numbered" id="sect50">
1694      <meta><title>50</title></meta>
1695
1696      <data>
1697        <p>The moment you strike the killing blow, the creature<ch.apos/>s body transforms into a hissing mass of fiery green sparks. Rapidly these sparks dissolve leaving no trace, except for a lingering odour of decay. Your Kai senses detect that the creature was a magical creation, an evil summonation sent here to find the Moonstone. You are pondering who could be responsible for the creature<ch.apos/>s creation and presence here when suddenly your thoughts are forced to turn to more immediate matters. The hull of the <cite>Vargas</cite> is starting to crack under the relentless pounding of the waves. The hold is rapidly filling with water and you must act swiftly to escape from here before it becomes your watery tomb.</p>
1698        <choice idref="sect127">If you possess Kai-alchemy, <link-text>turn to 127</link-text>.</choice>
1699        <choice idref="sect248">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 248</link-text>.</choice>
1700      </data>
1701     </section>
1702
1703     <section class="numbered" id="sect51">
1704      <meta><title>51</title></meta>
1705
1706      <data>
1707        <p>As you draw closer to the sound, you detect that it is a strange vocal chant, a low ululation that sends shivers coursing down your back. You feel that you are very close to the source when suddenly, through the trees ahead, you see a clearing where a large crowd of tribal natives are gathered.</p>
1708        <p>From the cover of the bordering undergrowth you watch a crow-faced man in tattered black robes standing at the centre of this crowd. He is uttering the chilling chant. Before him, on a stone altar, there lies the decaying remains of a body encased in rotting swathings. Your Kai senses reveal to you that the robed man is a Kitaezi Shaman, an evil necromancer who has enslaved these natives with his power. You sense also that it is the same power that was used to create the creature that attacked and slew your horse last night.</p>
1709        <p>Suddenly the terrible sound of the chant ceases and the Shaman shrieks with rage. He points to where you are hiding and your heart sinks. He has detected your presence. He pounds the altar with his fist and to your horror, you see the decaying remains begin to shift and stir into life. The Shaman intones a dark spell and the grisly corpse leaves the altar and comes stalking towards you, its fleshless arms outstretched. Waves of psychic energy buffet your mind. They paralyse you and keep you from escaping. You summon your psychic Kai defences and break this powerful spell, yet it is now too late to turn and run from the Shaman<ch.apos/>s horror<ch.emdash/>it is almost upon you. Instinctively you reach to your satchel for you sense that the Moonstone is all that can save you from this creature<ch.apos/>s ghastly embrace. You pull open the flap to reveal the magical stone and the effect is devastating.</p>
1710
1711       <illustration class="float">
1712        <meta>
1713         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1714         <description>A crow-faced man in tattered black robes utters a chilling chant.</description>
1715        </meta>
1716        <instance class="html" src="ill4.png" width="386" height="583"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1717        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill4.gif" width="386" height="583"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1718        <instance class="pdf" src="ill4.pdf" width="386" height="583" />
1719       </illustration>
1720
1721        <choice idref="sect167"><link-text>Turn to 167</link-text>.</choice>
1722      </data>
1723     </section>
1724
1725     <section class="numbered" id="sect52">
1726      <meta><title>52</title></meta>
1727
1728      <data>
1729        <p>You call the Suhnese together and try to rally them to fight the city watch, but they are unarmed and they have little or no battle training. Quickly it becomes clear to you that if you force them to resist the city watch, you will be condemning them to needless injury or death. Wary of this, you attempt to lure the Shadakine soldiers away into one of the houses. Unfortunately, your brave effort is short-lived. The City Guard see you, pursue you, and quickly overpower you by their sheer weight of numbers: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
1730        <p>Once you have been effectively subdued, the city watch round up the Suhnese and guard you all at spear-point until two horse-drawn wagons arrive to take you away to the city gaol. As you are herded aboard these foul-smelling carriages, your Weapons, Kai Weapon, and Backpack Items are confiscated and dumped into a wooden crate beside the driver<ch.apos/>s seat. (On your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> mark each of these items with an asterisk [*] to indicate that they are no longer in your possession, but do not erase them at this time. Any Special Items you possess are allowed to remain with you.)</p>
1731        <p>At the officer<ch.apos/>s command the wagons move off at a speedy pace. After a few bruising minutes your wagon emerges from the gloomy streets and ascends a smooth ramp which passes through the daunting gate of Ghol-Tabras gaol. Above this gate flutters a flag which depicts a black serpent entwined around the blade of a silver scimitar. It is the personal emblem of Sesketera, the ruler of this city, a man not known either for his kindness or for his mercy.</p>
1732
1733        <illustration class="inline">
1734         <meta>
1735          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1736         </meta>
1737         <instance class="html" src="small6.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1738         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small6.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1739         <instance class="pdf" src="small6.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
1740        </illustration>
1741
1742        <choice idref="sect265"><link-text>Turn to 265</link-text>.</choice>
1743      </data>
1744     </section>
1745
1746     <section class="numbered" id="sect53">
1747      <meta><title>53</title></meta>
1748
1749      <data>
1750        <p>On reaching the far side of the square, you see a narrow street flanked on either side by slums and hovels. You reason it unlikely that you would find Lord Zinair living in such a poor district, and so you stop for a few moments to consider where best to look for him. You decide that you should find someone who knows the city well, someone who is sure to have heard of the Dessian ambassador. Looking around the square you can see only two likely sources of this information: a Soothsayer<ch.apos/>s Shop, and a City Guard patrol.</p>
1751        <choice idref="sect71">If you wish to enquire at the Soothsayer<ch.apos/>s Shop, <link-text>turn to 71</link-text>.</choice>
1752        <choice idref="sect172">If you wish to ask the City Guards, <link-text>turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1753      </data>
1754     </section>
1755
1756     <section class="numbered" id="sect54">
1757      <meta><title>54</title></meta>
1758
1759      <data>
1760        <p>While the longboat continues its futile search, you repair your broken satchel strap and then check the condition of your Backpack and Weapons. Whilst doing this you discover that you lost one Backpack Item and one Weapon during your underwater battle.</p>
1761        <p>Erase from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> the first item which you have recorded on your <a idref="action">list of Backpack Items</a>, and any Weapon of your choice.</p>
1762        <choice idref="sect171">To continue, <link-text>turn to 171</link-text>.</choice>
1763      </data>
1764     </section>
1765
1766     <section class="numbered" id="sect55">
1767      <meta><title>55</title></meta>
1768
1769      <data>
1770        <p>Fear gnaws at your insides as you hear the villagers approaching through the long grass. The pit is deep, yet its walls are threaded with tree roots that make for easy climbing. Quickly you take hold of them and attempt to pull yourself out of this trap before your pursuers arrive.</p>
1771        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery, add 3 to the number you have picked. If you possess a Rope, add 2. If your current <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> score is 10 or lower, deduct 1.</p>
1772        <choice idref="sect44">If your total score is 5 or lower, <link-text>turn to 44</link-text>.</choice>
1773        <choice idref="sect246">If it is 6 or higher, <link-text>turn to 246</link-text>.</choice>
1774      </data>
1775     </section>
1776
1777     <section class="numbered" id="sect56">
1778      <meta><title>56</title></meta>
1779
1780      <data>
1781        <p>You swallow your pride and politely you ask the captain to release the crewman. Your request is met by a torrent of shouts and coarse laughter from the drunken Eldenorans, yet the captain does as you ask; he releases his grip and lets the gasping crewman drop in a heap to the taproom floor. You motion to the others that the time has come to leave. Without a word they abandon their tables and move towards the door, pausing only to pick up their injured comrade as they go. With the threats and crude curses of the Eldenorans ringing in your ears, you walk away from the Three Capstans Inn and return to the harbour. The crew feel angry and frustrated by what has happened, yet they also know that your cool-headed intervention probably saved them from far worse treatment at the hands of the brutish Eldenorans, and for that they are grateful.</p>
1782        <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
1783      </data>
1784     </section>
1785
1786     <section class="numbered" id="sect57">
1787      <meta><title>57</title></meta>
1788
1789      <data>
1790        <p>The youth takes a list from his apron pocket and reels off the prices of the items as you point to them on the shelves:</p>
1791
1792        <table>
1793         <tr>
1794          <td>Hammer</td>
1795          <td>1 Noble</td>
1796         </tr>
1797         <tr>
1798          <td>Rope</td>
1799          <td>2 Nobles</td>
1800         </tr>
1801         <tr>
1802          <td>Silver Mirror</td>
1803          <td>2 Nobles</td>
1804         </tr>
1805         <tr>
1806          <td>Blanket</td>
1807          <td>1 Noble</td>
1808         </tr>
1809         <tr>
1810          <td>Steel Flask</td>
1811          <td>1 Noble</td>
1812         </tr>
1813         <tr>
1814          <td>Pewter Goblet</td>
1815          <td>1 Noble</td>
1816         </tr>
1817        </table>
1818
1819        <p>All items must be paid for in Nobles (Gold Crowns are not accepted here). If you wish to purchase any of the above, do so and adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1820        <p>The youth thanks you for your custom and as you turn to leave he suggests that you ask after Captain Radyard at the Warehouse. You thank him and you take his advice.</p>
1821        <choice idref="sect97"><link-text>Turn to 97</link-text>.</choice>
1822      </data>
1823     </section>
1824
1825     <section class="numbered" id="sect58">
1826      <meta><title>58</title></meta>
1827
1828      <data>
1829        <p>You leave the shop and depart from the city of Nhang through its West Gate, following the main trade road that leads to the city of Jazer, 40 miles to the west. There are many fellow travellers on this road. Some, like you, travel alone and on foot. Others journey in convoys of ox-drawn wagons heavily laden with wares. You try to hitch a ride aboard these convoys but without success, and so you resign yourself to the fact that you have a long day<ch.apos/>s walk ahead.</p>
1830        <p>At noon you come to a village where the road enters some hilly timberland. A sprawling taverna dominates the village, providing meals for travellers. There are more than a dozen wagons parked outside its doors and many sullen-faced natives are sitting on nearby benches eating their midday meals.</p>
1831        <choice idref="sect114">If you wish to stop and enter the taverna, <link-text>turn to 114</link-text>.</choice>
1832        <choice idref="sect323">If you decide to continue on your way without stopping, <link-text>turn to 323</link-text>.</choice>
1833      </data>
1834     </section>
1835
1836     <section class="numbered" id="sect59">
1837      <meta><title>59</title></meta>
1838
1839      <data>
1840        <p>You stagger to your feet and climb the spiral steps until you come to a landing where several corridors converge. Some of these corridors are occupied by gaolers and other officials of Sesketera<ch.apos/>s citadel who are going about their duties. Then you hear the sound of footsteps ascending the stairs behind you, and this sound reminds you of the pressing need to keep moving. You draw upon your Magnakai Disciplines of Huntmastery and Pathsmanship to help you choose the best route of escape and, to your surprise, in doing so you discover a secret panel in the wall at the head of the stairwell. You reach out and press a raised stud and the concealed panel slides open to reveal a narrow passageway beyond. Quickly you enter this passage before your pursuers appear, and the panel automatically clicks shut behind you.</p>
1841        <choice idref="sect170"><link-text>Turn to 170</link-text>.</choice>
1842      </data>
1843     </section>
1844
1845     <section class="numbered" id="sect60">
1846      <meta><title>60</title></meta>
1847
1848      <data>
1849        <p>Your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that, despite his threats, the bandit has no intention of chopping through the rope which anchors the bridge. To do so would lose him your horse, and horses are worth a great many Nobles in this region of Shadaki.</p>
1850        <p>However, you decide to play along with their game. You raise your hands to give the impression that you are surrendering, and when they order you to return across the bridge, you pretend you do not understand. The axeman shouts to his accomplice who is hidden in the crevice. He tells him to stop pulling on the rope and he dutifully obeys. As the bridge ceases to sway, the axeman and one other walk across the bridge towards you. They stop just beyond sword reach and motion to you to lay down your Weapons and equipment. Slowly you lift the satchel off your shoulder. As the strap clears your head, you grip it tightly and take a swing at the axeman. The satchel catches him on the jaw and the weight of the Moonstone knocks him unconscious. His companion screams with anger and lunges at you with his sword, but you swiftly sidestep him and he loses his balance. With a fearful cry on his lips he falls over the side of the bridge and tumbles to his doom.</p>
1851        <p>Quickly you remount your horse and coax him across to the far side. Angry voices echo from the gorge behind you as you spur him to the gallop and escape along the jungle trail beyond the bridge.</p>
1852        <choice idref="sect205"><link-text>Turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
1853      </data>
1854     </section>
1855
1856     <section class="numbered" id="sect61">
1857      <meta><title>61</title></meta>
1858
1859      <data>
1860        <p>You enter this imposing herbalist<ch.apos/>s shop and stare in awe at the thousands of stoppered jars that line its wooden shelves and counters. They contain all manner of rare liquids, powders, roots, and tinctures, most with foreign names that are unfamiliar. You scour the jars and find only two that contain herbs from Sommerlund with which you are very familiar.</p>
1861        <ul>
1862         <li>Potion of Laumspur: restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when swallowed after combat.</li>
1863         <li>Potion of Alether: increases <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 2 when swallowed before combat.</li>
1864        </ul>
1865
1866        <illustration class="inline">
1867         <meta>
1868          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
1869         </meta>
1870         <instance class="html" src="small3.png" width="386" height="135"  mime-type="image/png"/>
1871         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small3.gif" width="386" height="135"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
1872         <instance class="pdf" src="small3.pdf" width="386" height="135"/>
1873        </illustration>
1874
1875        <p>Each of these potions costs 3 Nobles (1 Noble = 1 Gold Crown). If you wish to purchase one or both of them, adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly.</p>
1876        <choice idref="sect168">To leave the emporium and continue along the main street, <link-text>turn to 168</link-text>.</choice>
1877      </data>
1878     </section>
1879
1880     <section class="numbered" id="sect62">
1881      <meta><title>62</title></meta>
1882
1883      <data>
1884        <p>The villagers fire their bows and every arrow strikes the dragon, yet none of them penetrate the creature<ch.apos/>s scaly hide. You muster your Kai powers and cause a strong gust of wind to strike the creature<ch.apos/>s belly as it soars directly overhead. It makes the beast shudder, but it fails to deflect it from its chosen course.</p>
1885        <p>The dragon circles the village once more and then hovers above the burnt-out remains of the central hut. You observe the creature and your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that it has not come here bent on destruction. It is seeking something in the charred ruins.</p>
1886        <choice idref="sect85"><link-text>Turn to 85</link-text>.</choice>
1887      </data>
1888     </section>
1889
1890     <section class="numbered" id="sect63">
1891      <meta><title>63</title></meta>
1892
1893      <data>
1894        <p>As you leap from the parapet of the harbour bridge, you are caught in a terrifying crossfire of arrows.</p>
1895        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery, add 1 to the number you have picked. If you possess Assimilance, add 2.</p>
1896        <choice idref="sect162">If your total score is now 0<ch.endash/>1, <link-text>turn to 162</link-text>.</choice>
1897        <choice idref="sect297">If it is 2<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 297</link-text>.</choice>
1898        <choice idref="sect256">If it is 7 or higher, <link-text>turn to 256</link-text>.</choice>
1899      </data>
1900     </section>
1901
1902     <section class="numbered" id="sect64">
1903      <meta><title>64</title></meta>
1904
1905      <data>
1906        <p>The woman is disappointed that you will not pay her charge and she asks you to leave her shop. As you are walking to the door she calls out:</p>
1907        <p><quote>Zinair is well-known. Perhaps you should ask the City Guards. They won<ch.apos/>t charge you for information.</quote></p>
1908        <p>You thank her for the free advice and return to the square. The City Guards seem to be the only option left, and despite your feelings of unease, reluctantly you approach them and ask for their assistance.</p>
1909        <choice idref="sect172"><link-text>Turn to 172</link-text>.</choice>
1910      </data>
1911     </section>
1912
1913     <section class="numbered" id="sect65">
1914      <meta><title>65</title></meta>
1915
1916      <data>
1917        <p>Using your Grand Master Discipline, you focus upon the heads of the rivets which fix the bolt to the cell door, and you cause them to vibrate. Within a few minutes these rivets have become red hot. They expand and then split. Once the strength of their iron has been sufficiently undermined, you are able to wrench open the door of your cell.</p>
1918        <choice idref="sect24"><link-text>Turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
1919      </data>
1920     </section>
1921
1922     <section class="numbered" id="sect66">
1923      <meta><title>66</title></meta>
1924
1925      <data>
1926        <p>You wake with the rising sun and take time to fix your damaged Backpack before leaving the timber yard to walk to the neighbouring ferry station. You can see the ferry approaching across the strait. It is loaded with carts and horses and more than a hundred people. A queue has formed at the station gate where a ferryman is waiting to collect the crossing fare. A board slung around his chest informs you that the price of the crossing is 2 Nobles.</p>
1927        <choice idref="sect188">If you can afford the price of the crossing, <link-text>turn to 188</link-text>.</choice>
1928        <choice idref="sect287">If you do not have 2 Nobles, <link-text>turn to 287</link-text>.</choice>
1929      </data>
1930     </section>
1931
1932     <section class="numbered" id="sect67">
1933      <meta><title>67</title></meta>
1934
1935      <data>
1936        <p>You steel yourself to attack the creature as it spreads its massive jaws and gets ready to devour you whole.</p>
1937        <combat><enemy>Nigumu-sa</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">40</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">50</enemy-attribute></combat>
1938        <p>This creature is immune to all forms of psychic attack. Unless you possess Grand Nexus, reduce your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> by 4 due to your desperate lack of oxygen. You are unable to consume any potions prior to the combat. If the Kai Weapon you wield is <quote>Ulnarias</quote> or <quote>Spawnsmite</quote>, you will benefit from the bonus gained due to its unique properties.</p>
1939        <choice idref="sect260">If you win the combat, <link-text>turn to 260</link-text>.</choice>
1940      </data>
1941     </section>
1942
1943     <section class="numbered" id="sect68">
1944      <meta><title>68</title></meta>
1945
1946      <data>
1947        <p>A tingle rushes down your arm and a bolt of blue-white energy leaps from your hand to shatter the chain in two. The gate is blown open by the force of the blast and you and Melchar seize the opportunity to make a speedy escape.</p>
1948        <p>You emerge into the busy street outside the racetrack and Melchar shouts for you to follow him. He pushes his way through the crowd and enters a narrow alley separating two shops.</p>
1949        <choice idref="sect6"><link-text>Turn to 6</link-text>.</choice>
1950      </data>
1951     </section>
1952
1953     <section class="numbered" id="sect69">
1954      <meta><title>69</title></meta>
1955
1956      <data>
1957        <p>While Jenkshi and the crew are busy repairing the ship<ch.apos/>s hull, you are approached by Grooja, the town elder. He is able to speak a little Sommlending and he asks if you would care to stay the night as a guest in his humble home. He says that he would be greatly honoured if you accepted his invitation and, rather than risk hurting his feelings, you agree to go.</p>
1958        <p>Grooja lives in the best hut in all of Dlash-da Ralzuha. It is the best hut because it possesses a door and a roof which does not leak when it rains. Grooja<ch.apos/>s family prepare for you a meal of roasted vulture meat and boiled snakes. After this unusual feast, his wife invites their twenty grandchildren to come and entertain you with an ancient tribal dance in which they each spin around and around for as long as they can before they are violently sick. Whenever this happens the other members of Grooja<ch.apos/>s noisome clan scream and cheer them excitedly. When at last this display of quaint tribal culture comes to a natural end, Grooja<ch.apos/>s toothless wife sidles up to you and suggests that you should pay a visit to the <quote>Shrine of the Oracle</quote>. She assures you that this wondrous shrine is famous throughout this region for it dispenses infallible words of wisdom to all those who would seek its counsel.</p>
1959        <choice idref="sect299">If you wish to visit the shrine, <link-text>turn to 299</link-text>.</choice>
1960        <choice idref="sect178">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 178</link-text>.</choice>
1961      </data>
1962     </section>
1963
1964     <section class="numbered" id="sect70">
1965      <meta><title>70</title></meta>
1966
1967      <data>
1968        <p>You utter the words of the Old Kingdom Spell <spell>Invisible Fist</spell> and project your open palm at the sniper. The force of your spell hits him in the chest and sends him tumbling backwards from his perch to land heavily upon the exposed roots of the tree. You hurry to his body and discover that his neck has snapped. To your disappointment, you also discover his blowpipe and horn are both useless, having been damaged by the fall.</p>
1969        <p>Quickly you hide his body in the undergrowth and then you move deeper into the jungle, guided and drawn by the strange incessant noise.</p>
1970        <choice idref="sect51"><link-text>Turn to 51</link-text>.</choice>
1971      </data>
1972     </section>
1973
1974     <section class="numbered" id="sect71">
1975      <meta><title>71</title></meta>
1976
1977      <data>
1978        <p>On entering the shop you are greeted by a tall woman with pale skin and long black hair. She wears plain robes of brown cloth and a miniature crystal ball that dangles from a chain around her neck.</p>
1979        <p><quote>Welcome, stranger,</quote> she says, <quote>I am Giolaer the Soothsayer. How may I help you?</quote></p>
1980        <p>You ask if she can tell you where you will find Lord Zinair, the Dessian ambassador.</p>
1981        <p>She looks into the miniature crystal ball for a few moments and then she replies: <quote>I have that knowledge, and all it will cost you is 5 Nobles.</quote></p>
1982        <choice idref="sect283">If you wish to pay the Soothsayer 5 Nobles (or 5 Gold Crowns), <link-text>turn to 283</link-text>.</choice>
1983        <choice idref="sect64">If you do not have enough money, or if you choose not to pay the sum she requests, <link-text>turn to 64</link-text>.</choice>
1984      </data>
1985     </section>
1986
1987     <section class="numbered" id="sect72">
1988      <meta><title>72</title></meta>
1989
1990      <data>
1991        <p>You suddenly recall that it is the custom of the guildsmen of Shadaki to offer a glass of liqueur to their prospective business clients. To refuse this offer is considered a grave insult. You do not wish to upset the guildsman, yet also you do not wish to leave the Suhnese waiting too long for you in the street outside the hall. There is a curfew in force and night is fast approaching.</p>
1992        <choice idref="sect271">If you choose to accept the guildsman<ch.apos/>s glass of liqueur, <link-text>turn to 271</link-text>.</choice>
1993        <choice idref="sect95">If you choose to decline his offer and make an excuse in order to leave, <link-text>turn to 95</link-text>.</choice>
1994      </data>
1995     </section>
1996
1997     <section class="numbered" id="sect73">
1998      <meta><title>73</title></meta>
1999
2000      <data>
2001        <p>You spring forward and take a running leap at the gate. The momentum of your run carries you high enough to grab the crossbar and pull yourself astride it. You offer Melchar your hand and as soon as he grips it firmly you haul him up. As he struggles to pull himself over the top, one of Wrok<ch.apos/>s men grabs him by the legs. A desperate tug-of-war ensues between you and the henchmen, with the unlucky Melchar in the role of the rope. Suddenly the henchmen release his legs and you and your companion tumble over the gate to land with a thud on the street outside the racetrack.</p>
2002        <p>You are getting to your feet when you hear the crowd around you are laughing, but it is not until you look at Melchar that you understand why. In the struggle with the henchmen the young journeyman has lost his breeches. Red-faced with embarrassment, Melchar shouts for you to follow him as he pushes his way through the giggling citizens and enters a narrow alleyway between two shops.</p>
2003        <choice idref="sect174"><link-text>Turn to 174</link-text>.</choice>
2004      </data>
2005     </section>
2006
2007     <section class="numbered" id="sect74">
2008      <meta><title>74</title></meta>
2009
2010      <data>
2011        <p>You raise your Bow and quickly fire an Arrow at the side of the creature<ch.apos/>s shimmering head. Yet it seems to sense the approaching shaft and the beast destroys it with a bolt of energy that emerges from the centre of its being. Desperate now to save your stricken mount, you rush forward and attack the creature with your Kai Weapon.</p>
2012
2013       <illustration class="float">
2014        <meta>
2015         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2016         <description>A bolt of energy emerges from the centre of the creature<ch.apos/>s being.</description>
2017        </meta>
2018        <instance class="html" src="ill5.png" width="386" height="637"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2019        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill5.gif" width="386" height="637"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2020        <instance class="pdf" src="ill5.pdf" width="386" height="637" />
2021       </illustration>
2022
2023        <combat><enemy>Tzoog</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">48</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">32</enemy-attribute></combat>
2024        <p>This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Kai-surge). If you possess the Kai Weapon <quote>Valiance</quote>, add <ch.plus/>8 to your <typ class="attribute">COMBAT SKILL</typ> (instead of <ch.plus/>5).</p>
2025        <choice idref="sect149">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 149</link-text>.</choice>
2026      </data>
2027     </section>
2028
2029     <section class="numbered" id="sect75">
2030      <meta><title>75</title></meta>
2031
2032      <data>
2033        <p>As you leap over the parapet, you utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell <spell>Levitation</spell>. By using this spell you are able to control the speed of your fall. Immediately your feet touch down on the floor of the hall below, you are able to rush to the main doors and escape from the citadel at a run.</p>
2034        <choice idref="sect155"><link-text>Turn to 155</link-text>.</choice>
2035      </data>
2036     </section>
2037
2038     <section class="numbered" id="sect76">
2039      <meta><title>76</title></meta>
2040
2041      <data>
2042        <p>You urge Gemulkin to turn his ship about for the fury of the electrical storm is churning the sea, making it boil and seethe. Fearing for the safety of his cargo and crew the captain readily agrees and he orders his helmsman to bring the ship around. But as the <cite>Vargas</cite> returns towards Shuri Point, Gemulkin suddenly sees something on the horizon that makes him change his mind.</p>
2043        <choice idref="sect100"><link-text>Turn to 100</link-text>.</choice>
2044      </data>
2045     </section>
2046
2047     <section class="numbered" id="sect77">
2048      <meta><title>77</title></meta>
2049
2050      <data>
2051        <p>Clutching at your wound, you hurry out of the park and descend the steep path which leads down to the harbour below. When you are sure that you have not been followed, you pause to use your Magnakai skills to heal your injury and check any poison that may have tainted the blade of the cursed dagger. Dusk is approaching by the time you reach <cite>The Azan</cite>, and when you go aboard you discover that the cargo has been fully loaded.</p>
2052        <p>Captain Jenkshi is pleased with his crew and feels they deserve some reward for all their hard work. Half of his men would like to spend the night ashore at the Three Capstans Inn, one of their favourite taverns. The tavern-keeper delivered some fresh food to the ship during the afternoon, and he promised a free flagon of ale to any crew member who paid him a visit this evening. The captain gives his permission, but on one condition<ch.emdash/>all those who wish to go ashore this evening must be back on board before dawn breaks tomorrow.</p>
2053        <p><quote>We sail on the dawn tide,</quote> he bellows, <quote>so don<ch.apos/>t expect to find us still here if y<ch.apos/>roll up late.</quote></p>
2054        <choice idref="sect144">If you wish to go ashore and visit the Three Capstans Inn, <link-text>turn to 144</link-text>.</choice>
2055        <choice idref="sect288">If you decide to stay aboard with the captain and the remaining crew members, <link-text>turn to 288</link-text>.</choice>
2056      </data>
2057     </section>
2058
2059     <section class="numbered" id="sect78">
2060      <meta><title>78</title></meta>
2061
2062      <data>
2063        <p>Oriah takes you to another antechamber where she opens a door concealed behind a hanging tapestry. A narrow torchlit passage lies beyond this door and together you follow it until you arrive at a domed alcove. Here Oriah touches the head of a marble statue and the alcove swivels open to reveal a balcony encircling a large hall. Peering over the parapet you see that it is the main entrance hall to Sesketera<ch.apos/>s citadel. Its polished stone floor lies some twenty feet below the balcony, and its doors are guarded by two impressive warriors. They are attired in gold armour which glimmers in the weak rays of sunlight that are now filtering into the hall through its stained glass roof.</p>
2064        <p><quote>Wait a few moments,</quote> whispers Oriah. <quote>They are the night guards. Dawn is breaking and soon their watch will be over. There is always a lapse before the morning guards come on duty. The doors will then be unmanned and you will be able to escape from the citadel without being seen.</quote></p>
2065        <p>Minutes later, just as she predicted, the warriors march away and leave the doors to the citadel unguarded. Oriah wishes you good luck, but as she leans forward to kiss you fondly on the cheek, a stern voice suddenly shatters the silence of the hall.</p>
2066        <p><quote>Oriah! What deceit is this!</quote></p>
2067        <p>You spin around and see a tall, broad-shouldered man clad in a high-necked robe of purple silk. He has emerged from an archway and he is standing near the parapet rail at the far side of the balcony.</p>
2068        <p><quote>Sesketera<ch.ellips/></quote> gasps Oriah. She snatches her hands to her mouth and then she swoons and faints. You catch her as she falls and you lay her carefully down upon the floor. Sesketera shouts for his guards until he notices that the hall below is empty. He curses their absence, and then he begins to move around the balcony towards you. He is unarmed<ch.emdash/>but not for long. He grabs a ceremonial weapon from a stand of armour and quickens his pace. As he levels this deadly spear at your chest you see that his eyes are filled with a blind, jealous rage.</p>
2069        <choice idref="sect322">If you have ever visited the city of Bisutan in a previous <cite>Lone Wolf New Order</cite> adventure, <link-text>turn to 322</link-text>.</choice>
2070        <choice idref="sect43">If you have not, <link-text>turn to 43</link-text>.</choice>
2071      </data>
2072     </section>
2073
2074     <section class="numbered" id="sect79">
2075      <meta><title>79</title></meta>
2076
2077      <data>
2078        <p>The bolt glances your shoulder and spins you to the ground: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. The old man emits a cry of shocked surprise when he sees you scramble to your feet and unsheathe your Kai Weapon. He turns tail and runs towards the village, shrieking hysterically.</p>
2079        <p>You hear him calling the men of the village to gather their weapons. He denounces you, saying that you attacked him without provocation, and he orders that his men put you swiftly to the sword. Quickly you turn and run towards the ridge. You know that it would be useless to attempt to reason with these people and so you resolve to reach the trail and make a hasty escape.</p>
2080        <choice idref="sect145"><link-text>Turn to 145</link-text>.</choice>
2081      </data>
2082     </section>
2083
2084     <section class="numbered" id="sect80">
2085      <meta><title>80</title></meta>
2086
2087       <footnotes>
2088        <footnote id="sect80-1-foot" idref="sect80-1">
2089         <p>This is the correct answer to the question posed in <a idref="sect2">Section 2</a>.</p>
2090        </footnote>
2091       </footnotes>
2092
2093      <data>
2094        <p>The moment you voice the answer to the challenge,<footref id="sect80-1" idref="sect80-1-foot"/> the black globes disappear and the mist fades to reveal a lush, green, volcanic island that is crowned by a halo of silvery cloud. Your pulse races with anticipation as you feel the sea return beneath the keel of your craft, and a wind to propel you towards this wondrous isle. You have met the challenge and you have triumphed. Now you shall reap your reward by landing upon the shores of Lorn<ch.emdash/>the mystical realm of the exiled Shianti.</p>
2095        <choice idref="sect15">To continue, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
2096      </data>
2097     </section>
2098
2099     <section class="numbered" id="sect81">
2100      <meta><title>81</title></meta>
2101
2102      <data>
2103        <p>Your Kai camouflage skills keep you hidden despite the glare of the gaolers<ch.apos/> torches. As soon as they have passed by, you slip inside the guardroom and retrieve your confiscated equipment (you may now erase the asterisks from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
2104        <p>As you are sheathing your Kai Weapon into your belt, you hear the guards returning along the corridor. Looking around, you see that there is one other exit from this room<ch.emdash/>a heavy oak door which is banded with strips of black iron.</p>
2105        <choice idref="sect314"><link-text>Turn to 314</link-text>.</choice>
2106      </data>
2107     </section>
2108
2109     <section class="numbered" id="sect82">
2110      <meta><title>82</title></meta>
2111
2112      <data>
2113        <p>You raise your Kai Weapon and launch a swipe at the creature<ch.apos/>s neck. With stunning speed, the beast grabs your forearm with its free claw and stops you landing your blow. Its talons bite into your flesh and its crushing strength makes it hard for you to keep hold of your weapon: lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2114        <p>The deck lurches as the ship is hit by a wave and the sudden movement throws the creature off-balance. As its grip slackens momentarily, you are able to twist yourself free from its claws and escape into an adjacent cargo hold.</p>
2115        <choice idref="sect344"><link-text>Turn to 344</link-text>.</choice>
2116      </data>
2117     </section>
2118
2119     <section class="numbered" id="sect83">
2120      <meta><title>83</title></meta>
2121
2122      <data>
2123        <p>The man curses you quietly under his breath and then he melts away into the taproom crowd. You leave the tavern and approach the Masama Warehouse. On entering this vast building you discover that it is filled with huge quantities of raw and basic commodities such as metals, grain, cloth, timber, and leather. As you inspect these basic materials you come across several crates of linen that are branded with a crown and star, the mark of Siyen. Your Kai senses tell you that it could be part of Radyard<ch.apos/>s cargo.</p>
2124        <p>The owner of the warehouse approaches and asks the nature of your business. He has an oily smile that you could find easy to dislike. You ask if he knows Captain Radyard and his slippery smile turns into a scowl.</p>
2125        <p><quote>I charge for information,</quote> he snaps. <quote>Hand over 3 Nobles or be on your way.</quote></p>
2126        <choice idref="sect315">If you wish to pay the man 3 Nobles (1 Noble = 1 Gold Crown), <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
2127        <choice idref="sect217">If you refuse to pay him, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
2128      </data>
2129     </section>
2130
2131     <section class="numbered" id="sect84">
2132      <meta><title>84</title></meta>
2133
2134      <data>
2135        <p>The captain complies with your powerful psychic suggestions and, without really knowing why, he orders his helmsman to steer towards the distant speck in the sea. As you draw closer, you see that the man is lying unconscious upon a raft made of coiled ropes and smashed timbers. A crewman brings him aboard and together you carry him to your cabin where you wrap him in a blanket and use your Kai healing skills to bring him back to consciousness.</p>
2136
2137        <illustration class="inline">
2138         <meta>
2139          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2140         </meta>
2141         <instance class="html" src="small8.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2142         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small8.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2143         <instance class="pdf" src="small8.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2144        </illustration>
2145
2146        <p>As slowly the man recovers his senses, you learn that his name is Gregor Luggs. He is a Lourdenian sailor and sole survivor of a pirate attack which destroyed his ship and killed all of his fellow crewmen three days ago.</p>
2147        <p><quote>It was the Shadakine who done it,</quote> he says, trembling with anger. <quote>They came upon us at night. Out o<ch.apos/>the dark with not a deck light showin<ch.apos/>. After they<ch.apos/>d took all o<ch.apos/>the cargo, they turned their cannons on us. We didn<ch.apos/>t stand a chance.</quote></p>
2148        <p>Gregor thanks you repeatedly for saving his life. Another few hours and he would have died of exposure. As a mark of his gratitude he gives you an ornate Silver Clasp (record this on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Special Item which you keep in your tunic pocket) and he insists that he pay you for allowing him to share your cabin and food. He takes 10 Gold Crowns from his belt pouch and offers them to you (if you decide to accept them, remember to adjust your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> accordingly).</p>
2149        <choice idref="sect339">To continue, <link-text>turn to 339</link-text>.</choice>
2150      </data>
2151     </section>
2152
2153     <section class="numbered" id="sect85">
2154      <meta><title>85</title></meta>
2155
2156      <data>
2157        <p>You magnify your vision and focus on the tangle of burnt timber and ash that lies heaped inside the ruined hut. You are unable to see anything clearly, but you sense that there is something lying buried there. You tell the elder of your discovery and you see a flicker of fear in his old eyes. He says that there is nothing in the hut that could be of interest to the dragon, but your senses tell you otherwise. They also tell you that he is lying.</p>
2158        <p>A group of villagers armed with long spears rush to the hut and attempt to stab the dragon. The creature roars at them and then flaps its leathery wings and begins to circle around the settlement once more. You slip away from your hiding place and hurry down to the ruins for you are determined to discover what it is that the dragon is seeking. Guided by your Sixth Sense, you uncover a bronze statuette from beneath the ashes. Then the dragon returns. It lashes out at the villagers with its clawed forelimbs and smashes their spears to matchwood. The men retreat in confusion and the dragon lands and settles itself beside the hut. You move to unsheathe your weapon but you freeze when suddenly the dragon speaks to you. The creature has the voice of a man.</p>
2159        <p>The dragon pleads with you for the return of the statuette, for he says that it will remove the curse that has changed his shape. Your Kai senses detect that the creature speaks the truth, and that he is not the evil bane that the elder and the villagers have led you to believe. You notice that the elder and his men have left their hiding places and are now running towards the hut. You focus on the elder and see that a strange transformation has taken place. He is no longer the frail old man that he was; his face has become younger and it is contorted with a savage rage. Your Kai senses detect an aura of evil that is chillingly familiar. It is identical to that which surrounded Ulonga the Shaman and you sense that he, too, is a necromancer. He orders his men to take aim at you with their bows and blindly they obey his command. The dragon urges you to escape with him while you are able, and hurriedly you rush forward to climb upon his back as the first volley of arrows comes whistling through the hut.</p>
2160        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you possess Grand Huntmastery, add 2 to the number you have picked. If you possess Assimilance, add 1.</p>
2161        <choice idref="sect311">If your total score is now 4 or lower, <link-text>turn to 311</link-text>.</choice>
2162        <choice idref="sect134">If it is 5 or higher, <link-text>turn to 134</link-text>.</choice>
2163      </data>
2164     </section>
2165
2166     <section class="numbered" id="sect86">
2167      <meta><title>86</title></meta>
2168
2169      <data>
2170        <p>Suddenly the growling stops and you sense that the creatures are preparing to attack. Hurriedly you draw a weapon as two wolf-like animals come bounding towards you from the rear of the cave.</p>
2171        <combat><enemy>Kholo</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">40</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">28</enemy-attribute></combat>
2172        <p>These creatures are especially susceptible to all forms of psychic attack: double all bonuses to Kai-surge (or Mindblast) if you possess Kai-surge and elect to use it.</p>
2173        <choice idref="sect101">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 101</link-text>.</choice>
2174      </data>
2175     </section>
2176
2177     <section class="numbered" id="sect87">
2178      <meta><title>87</title></meta>
2179
2180      <data>
2181        <p>Instinct and years of Kai training make you throw yourself to the ground. The blowpipe dart passes within inches of your scalp and then embeds itself in the stem of a broad-leaved plant. Black fluid oozes from the puncture hole made by its tip and you watch aghast as the plant rapidly shrivels and dies.</p>
2182        <choice idref="sect343">If you possess a Bow and wish to use it to return fire at the sniper in the tree, <link-text>turn to 343</link-text>.</choice>
2183        <choice idref="sect255">If you do not possess a Bow, or if you choose not to use it, <link-text>turn to 255</link-text>.</choice>
2184      </data>
2185     </section>
2186
2187     <section class="numbered" id="sect88">
2188      <meta><title>88</title></meta>
2189
2190      <data>
2191        <p>You hear the spear come whistling towards you and instinctively you dive headlong through the doorway to avoid being struck in the back. Your swift reactions save your life but they do not save you from injury. The tip of the spear gouges your back and the force of impact knocks you to the ground: lose 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2192        <choice idref="sect59"><link-text>Turn to 59</link-text>.</choice>
2193      </data>
2194     </section>
2195
2196     <section class="numbered" id="sect89">
2197      <meta><title>89</title></meta>
2198
2199      <data>
2200        <p>The two henchmen draw their swords and the people pressed around them begin to panic. As a clear space forms, you see Melchar stoop to pick up a bottle dropped by the crowd. He hurls it at one of Wrok<ch.apos/>s men and it strikes him squarely on the forehead, leaving him sprawled unconscious on the ground.</p>
2201        <p>His confederate whirls his shiny blade around his head and attacks you like a charging bull.</p>
2202        <combat><enemy>Wrok<ch.apos/>s Gate Guard</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">30</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">30</enemy-attribute></combat>
2203        <choice idref="sect331">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 331</link-text>.</choice>
2204      </data>
2205     </section>
2206
2207     <section class="numbered" id="sect90">
2208      <meta><title>90</title></meta>
2209
2210      <data>
2211        <p>The bolt hits you and a brilliant flash of white light obliterates your senses: lose 8 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points. For a few moments you lose consciousness; then your senses return and you struggle to your feet. Stunned and disoriented, you shake your head in an effort to clear your blurred vision. Images swirl before your eyes, weaving and coalescing to create a fearful sight. The flickering night-creature has fixed itself to the neck of your horse like some nightmarish vampire. Tethered by his reins, your mount is unable to escape from the leech-like maw of this supernatural creature.</p>
2212        <choice idref="sect19">If you possess Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 19</link-text>.</choice>
2213        <choice idref="sect122">If you possess Magi-magic and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 122</link-text>.</choice>
2214        <choice idref="sect169">If you possess Kai-surge and wish to use it, <link-text>turn to 169</link-text>.</choice>
2215        <choice idref="sect349">If you possess none of these skills, or if you choose not to use any of them, <link-text>turn to 349</link-text>.</choice>
2216      </data>
2217     </section>
2218
2219     <section class="numbered" id="sect91">
2220      <meta><title>91</title></meta>
2221
2222      <data>
2223        <p>You throw yourself to the decking and take cover behind the wooden parapet of the prow as the enemy<ch.apos/>s shot rips into the sails and rigging. Suddenly you hear a tremendous crack directly overhead that makes you glance up at the topsails. To your horror you see a section of the foremast has been shot through and it is now falling towards the deck, directly at the place where you are taking cover.</p>
2224        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>. If you have Grand Huntmastery, add 2 to the number you have picked.</p>
2225        <choice idref="sect28">If your total score is now 0<ch.endash/>3, <link-text>turn to 28</link-text>.</choice>
2226        <choice idref="sect348">If it is now 4<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 348</link-text>.</choice>
2227        <choice idref="sect231">If it is 7 or higher, <link-text>turn to 231</link-text>.</choice>
2228      </data>
2229     </section>
2230
2231     <section class="numbered" id="sect92">
2232      <meta><title>92</title></meta>
2233
2234      <data>
2235        <p>You estimate that you are less than a mile from the mainland coast<ch.emdash/>a comfortable distance for a good swimmer, especially for one who possesses the strength and stamina of a Kai Grand Master.</p>
2236        <p>You say farewell to Captain Radyard and he thanks you for your selflessness. He orders his crew to hoist the sails, and he tells his bo<ch.apos/>sun to wave a white flag from the stern deck to signal to Sesketera that he is complying with his commands. A longboat is launched from <cite>The Triasus</cite> to collect you. It is carrying an officer and six marines, each armed with a half-pike and a Bor pistol. Radyard suggests that you go to the head of the boarding ladder so that you can surrender to the longboat<ch.apos/>s officer when he comes aboard.</p>
2237        <p><quote>Who said anything about surrender?</quote> you retort.</p>
2238        <p><quote>But<ch.ellips/>I thought<ch.ellips/>,</quote> stutters the captain.</p>
2239        <p><quote>I<ch.apos/>ve no intention of surrendering to Sesketera!</quote> you say, and before Radyard can utter another word, you vault over the gunwale and plunge feet-first into the clear blue sea.</p>
2240        <choice idref="sect128"><link-text>Turn to 128</link-text>.</choice>
2241      </data>
2242     </section>
2243
2244     <section class="numbered" id="sect93">
2245      <meta><title>93</title></meta>
2246
2247      <data>
2248        <p>You leave the taverna and follow the road into dense timberland. It is an uncomfortably hot and humid region, and you are made to feel even more uncomfortable by swarms of tiny insects that bite any exposed areas of your flesh (lose 2 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). Judging by the number of bites you sustain, you suspect that these insects consider Sommlending flesh to be something of a delicacy. During your trek to Jazer, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must eat a Meal or lose a further 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2249        <p>As the sun approaches the horizon, the road passes across a high plateau before descending towards the shimmering green waters of the Jazer Strait. The city of Jazer nestles in a wooded bay and you arrive at its east gate shortly after sunset. A notice board fixed to the gatehouse wall informs you that you have missed the last ferry, a service which carries road travellers across the strait to connect with the trade road to Tiklu and beyond. The next ferry leaves tomorrow morning at an hour after dawn.</p>
2250        <p>It is a warm night, and as you wander through the streets of this city, you contemplate where you should best spend it.</p>
2251        <choice idref="sect138">If you wish to find lodging for the night, <link-text>turn to 138</link-text>.</choice>
2252        <choice idref="sect203">If you decide to sleep in the open, <link-text>turn to 203</link-text>.</choice>
2253      </data>
2254     </section>
2255
2256     <section class="numbered" id="sect94">
2257      <meta><title>94</title></meta>
2258
2259      <data>
2260        <p>You dismount from your mule and hurry into the village. The fiercest fire is raging through the roof of the largest hut which dominates the centre of the settlement, and it is here that you concentrate your efforts. Using your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus, you are able to limit the spread of the flames and allow the villagers time to collect water with which they put out the blaze. Your Kai skill protects you from the scorching heat of the fire, but your Backpack is damaged and you lose two pieces of equipment. (Erase any two Backpack Items from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>.)</p>
2261        <p>When all of the smaller fires in the surrounding huts have also been extinguished, the elder of the village thanks you for your timely help. He tells you that the fire was started deliberately by a dragon that dwells in the Hulhuk Mountains.</p>
2262        <p><quote>It is the bane of our humble village,</quote> he says, shaking his head sadly, <quote>and we fear that it will return this night to finish us.</quote> Seeing the Kai Weapon sheathed at your side, the elder looks at you with renewed hope in his eyes. He begs you to stay here tonight and help rid the village of its bane.</p>
2263        <choice idref="sect267">If you wish to stay and help the villagers, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
2264        <choice idref="sect213">If you decide not to help them, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
2265      </data>
2266     </section>
2267
2268     <section class="numbered" id="sect95">
2269      <meta><title>95</title></meta>
2270
2271      <data>
2272        <p>The guildsman takes great offence when you decline to drink with him. He slams the decanter and glasses onto his desk, and then he orders you to leave his chambers and never set foot in Coppersmiths<ch.apos/> Hall ever again.</p>
2273        <p>Outside the Hall you rejoin the Suhnese crewmen and hurry with them through the flagstoned streets of the city, retracing your route back to the harbour in the hope of reaching <cite>The Azan</cite> before night closes in completely. You are within a few hundred yards of the harbour entrance when suddenly a patrol of the city watch come marching around a corner with their spears couched on their chainmailed shoulders. Their officer commands you all to halt and demands that you raise your hands above your heads.</p>
2274        <choice idref="sect228">If you wish to do as the officer has ordered, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
2275        <choice idref="sect330">If you decide to make a dash for the harbour, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
2276      </data>
2277     </section>
2278
2279     <section class="numbered" id="sect96">
2280      <meta><title>96</title></meta>
2281
2282      <data>
2283        <p>You know that it is only a matter of time before the creature finds your hiding place. Rather than wait to be found, you decide to launch a surprise attack. Using your advanced mastery, you create a noise in the opposite corner of the hold, behind a pair of water barrels. The creature immediately pounces on top of the barrels and slashes at the void behind them. You seize this moment to leave your hiding place and attack the creature from behind.</p>
2284        <combat><enemy>Zh<ch.uuml/>rc</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">52</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">40</enemy-attribute></combat>
2285        <p>Ignore any <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> point losses sustained in the first two rounds of this fight, due to the effectiveness of your surprise attack. If the Kai Weapon you wield is <quote>Valiance</quote>, you may apply the bonus gained due to its unique properties.</p>
2286        <choice idref="sect50">If you win the fight, <link-text>turn to 50</link-text>.</choice>
2287      </data>
2288     </section>
2289
2290     <section class="numbered" id="sect97">
2291      <meta><title>97</title></meta>
2292
2293      <data>
2294        <p>Inside you discover that the building is filled with vast quantities of raw and basic commodities such as metals, grain, cloth, timber, and leather. As you inspect these basic materials you come across several crates of linen that are branded with a crown and star, the mark of Siyen. Your Kai senses tell you that it could be part of Radyard<ch.apos/>s cargo.</p>
2295        <p>The owner of the warehouse approaches and asks the nature of your business. He has an oily smile that you could find easy to dislike. You ask if he knows Captain Radyard and his slippery smile turns into a scowl:</p>
2296        <p><quote>I charge for information,</quote> he snaps. <quote>Hand over 3 Nobles or be on your way.</quote></p>
2297        <choice idref="sect315">If you wish to pay the man 3 Nobles (1 Noble = 1 Gold Crown), <link-text>turn to 315</link-text>.</choice>
2298        <choice idref="sect217">If you refuse to pay him, <link-text>turn to 217</link-text>.</choice>
2299      </data>
2300     </section>
2301
2302     <section class="numbered" id="sect98">
2303      <meta><title>98</title></meta>
2304
2305      <data>
2306        <p>At length the avenue arrives at a busy market square. On entering, you are assailed from all sides by merchants eager to sell their wares. All manner of goods are offered but most are of little or no use to you. As you push your way through the merchants, you notice a market stall that sells healing concoctions. One of these is Laumspur for which the vendor is asking 2 Nobles per potion. (Each Potion of Laumspur restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when consumed after combat.)</p>
2307        <choice idref="sect238">If you wish to ask the vendor if he knows the whereabouts of Lord Zinair, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
2308        <choice idref="sect53">If you choose to leave the stall and cross over to the far side of the square, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
2309      </data>
2310     </section>
2311
2312     <section class="numbered" id="sect99">
2313      <meta><title>99</title></meta>
2314
2315      <data>
2316        <p>At first the old man is reluctant to lower his price, but when you shake your head and step towards the door as if to leave, he changes his mind and agrees to sell the doll for 7 Gold Crowns. You nod in agreement and carefully the old man wraps the doll in a square of linen while you count out 7 Gold Crowns from your Belt Pouch. With trembling hands he takes the coins and gives you the package which you place into your Backpack.</p>
2317        <p>Record the Nhang Doll on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item, and remember to subtract 7 Gold Crowns from your current total.</p>
2318        <choice idref="sect204">To leave the curio shop and continue, <link-text>turn to 204</link-text>.</choice>
2319      </data>
2320     </section>
2321
2322     <section class="numbered" id="sect100">
2323      <meta><title>100</title></meta>
2324
2325      <data>
2326        <p>Sailing towards you across the Sea of Winds come three pirate ships. They are long and low and rakish, with sleek black hulls and armoured decking. Their scarlet sails are filled by a gusting wind and they move through the water with a silent, ominous speed.</p>
2327        <p>Trapped between storm and buccaneers, Gemulkin faces a difficult decision. He can either confront the approaching raiders or brave the dangers of the storm. He chooses the latter, and as the <cite>Vargas</cite> swings back once more towards Shuri Point, the buccaneers hold off and wait expectantly for the storm to lay claim to your vulnerable ship.</p>
2328        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2329        <choice idref="sect25">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>4, <link-text>turn to 25</link-text>.</choice>
2330        <choice idref="sect147">If it is 5<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 147</link-text>.</choice>
2331      </data>
2332     </section>
2333
2334     <section class="numbered" id="sect101">
2335      <meta><title>101</title></meta>
2336
2337      <data>
2338        <p>You wipe your weapon on the scraggy bodies of the slain kholo and then you drag them out of the cave by their tails. Your encounter with these wild animals leaves you feeling anxious for your safety, and you spend a restless night in the cave listening to the rain and the sounds of the surrounding jungle.</p>
2339        <p>During your lonely vigil, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery you must eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2340        <choice idref="sect146"><link-text>Turn to 146</link-text>.</choice>
2341      </data>
2342     </section>
2343
2344     <section class="numbered" id="sect102">
2345      <meta><title>102</title></meta>
2346
2347      <data>
2348        <p>The dragon lands at his lair in the mountains and folds his wings to allow you to climb down easily from his scaly back. Carefully you place the bronze statuette into his clawed hand and witness a wondrous transformation take place. Slowly the dragon shrinks and its body changes into that of a tall man with a proud and noble countenance. He introduces himself to you as Cresosa, the leader of the Rivorzha tribe who dwell on the eastern slopes of the Hulhuk Mountains. Unlike the villagers, Cresosa<ch.apos/>s people have resisted Ulonga<ch.apos/>s evil rule, even though their resistance has forced them out of their coastal villages to seek refuge in the mountains. The statuette has broken a curse placed upon Cresosa by Ulonga the Shaman, and now he is able to return to his people and lead them back to their abandoned homes.</p>
2349        <p>Before you say farewell, Cresosa offers you two Potions of Laumspur (each of these Backpack Items will restore 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when swallowed after combat). He then gives you directions which take you back to the trail, to a place where a bridge crosses a steep-banked river. Your <a idref="map">map</a> tells you that this is a tributary of the River Ito, and you decide to stop here to rest until dawn before continuing your trek to Caeno on foot.</p>
2350
2351       <illustration class="float">
2352        <meta>
2353         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2354         <description>The dragon becomes Cresosa, leader of the Rivorzha tribe from the Hulhuk Mountains.</description>
2355        </meta>
2356        <instance class="html" src="ill6.png" width="386" height="656"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2357        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill6.gif" width="386" height="656"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2358        <instance class="pdf" src="ill6.pdf" width="386" height="656" />
2359       </illustration>
2360
2361        <p>Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points.</p>
2362        <choice idref="sect300">To continue, <link-text>turn to 300</link-text>.</choice>
2363      </data>
2364     </section>
2365
2366     <section class="numbered" id="sect103">
2367      <meta><title>103</title></meta>
2368
2369      <data>
2370        <p>Your polite request is met by a torrent of shouts and coarse laughter from the drunken Eldenorans. Yet the captain does as you ask; he releases his grip and lets the gasping crewman drop in a heap to the taproom floor. You motion to the others that it is time to leave. Without a word they leave their tables and move towards the door, pausing only to pick up their injured comrade as they go. With the threats and crude curses of the Eldenorans ringing in your ears, you walk away from the Three Capstans Inn and return to the harbour. The crew feel angry and frustrated by what has happened, yet they know that your cool-headed intervention has saved them from far worse treatment at the hands of the brutish Eldenorans, and for that they are grateful.</p>
2371        <choice idref="sect268"><link-text>Turn to 268</link-text>.</choice>
2372      </data>
2373     </section>
2374
2375     <section class="numbered" id="sect104">
2376      <meta><title>104</title></meta>
2377
2378      <data>
2379        <p>Your Grand Mastery skill warns you that these seemingly innocuous plants are Liera. Their petals contain a powerful narcotic which can be ground down to a fine powder and used in potions to make a person susceptible to mental suggestion (mind control).</p>
2380        <p>There are sufficient plants here to produce two Potions of Liera. If you wish to keep one or both of these potions, record each one on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as a Backpack Item.</p>
2381        <choice idref="sect205">To continue, <link-text>turn to 205</link-text>.</choice>
2382      </data>
2383     </section>
2384
2385     <section class="numbered" id="sect105">
2386      <meta><title>105</title></meta>
2387
2388      <data>
2389        <p>You unsheathe your Kai Weapon and take hold of its blade. As the looter raises his knife, you hurl it at him and it sinks deeply into his chest, spinning him backwards to the ground with the force of its impact. The other men roughly push Chinn aside and come rushing at you with weapons drawn. You can see by the look in their eyes that they are determined to avenge their fallen comrade.</p>
2390        <combat><enemy>Looters</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">34</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">29</enemy-attribute></combat>
2391        <p>You must fight the first round of this combat unarmed (you receive no weapon bonuses). If you possess a normal weapon, you may use it at the start of the second round.</p>
2392        <choice idref="sect257">If you win this combat, you may retrieve your Kai Weapon. You may then continue by <link-text>turning to 257</link-text>.</choice>
2393      </data>
2394     </section>
2395
2396     <section class="numbered" id="sect106">
2397      <meta><title>106</title></meta>
2398
2399      <data>
2400        <p>Sesketera succeeds in fending off your Arrow and, with breathtaking speed, he lunges forwards and cleaves your Bow in two with the blade of his spear (delete this weapon from your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a>).</p>
2401        <p>You drop the sundered halves of your shattered Bow and leap back to avoid a sudden whirlwind flurry of thrusts and sweeps that threaten to decapitate you. Hurriedly you unsheathe your Kai Weapon and the <onomatopoeia>clang</onomatopoeia> of striking metal echoes throughout the hall as you parry Sesketera<ch.apos/>s relentless rain of blows. Then the sharp report of your colliding weapons is answered by the dull ringing of a bell in a distant part of the citadel. It is an alarm bell, and it is announcing your escape from the dungeons of the gaol.</p>
2402        <combat><enemy>Sesketera (with Medallion of Weaponskill)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">53</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">42</enemy-attribute></combat>
2403        <choice idref="sect215">Conduct this combat in the normal way for 2 rounds only. If you are still alive after two rounds, do not continue the fight. <link-text>Turn instead to Section 215</link-text>.</choice>
2404      </data>
2405     </section>
2406
2407     <section class="numbered" id="sect107">
2408      <meta><title>107</title></meta>
2409
2410      <footnotes>
2411       <footnote id="sect107-1-foot" idref="sect107-1">
2412        <p>The section corresponding to the correct answer will have a footnote confirming that it is indeed correct.</p>
2413       </footnote>
2414      </footnotes>
2415
2416      <data>
2417        <p>When first you enter the mists, it seems as if you are no longer sailing upon a sea of water. It becomes a blended sea and sky of deep blue light, without horizon or boundary<ch.emdash/>a limitless space. Gradually you detect vague shadows passing quickly by, and then distant sounds, like muffled whispers, surging then pulsing away before you can catch the words. Then you see globes of darkness hovering to and fro, and your Kai senses scream a warning that these are invaders, evil intruders in this realm of ghostly mist. They grow in numbers and begin to spiral around your boat, whispering and laughing and babbling all the while. You feel your boat gradually slowing until it ceases to move at all. Fear grips you when you realise that these mischievous black spheres have the power to hold you prisoner, to keep you from ever reaching the shores of Lorn. Suddenly the vague sounds and voices in your mind begin to crystallize into words that you can understand.</p>
2418        <p><thought>You have proved your physical courage, foolish follower of Kai. But now you must put your mental strength to the test if you wish to find the Isle of Lorn.</thought></p>
2419        <p>The eerie voice laughs and you steel yourself to meet its mental challenge.</p>
2420        <p><thought>How many heads are fixed upon the harbour gate of Suhn?</thought></p>
2421        <puzzle idref="sect120">If you think you know the answer to this challenge, <choose test="has-numbered-section-list"><when value="true"><a idref="numbered">turn now to the section</a></when><otherwise>turn now to the section</otherwise></choose> which is the same as your answer.<footref id="sect107-1" idref="sect107-1-foot"/></puzzle>
2422        <choice idref="sect158">If you do not know the answer to this challenge, <link-text>turn to 158</link-text>.</choice>
2423      </data>
2424     </section>
2425
2426     <section class="numbered" id="sect108">
2427      <meta><title>108</title></meta>
2428
2429      <data>
2430        <p>You pat your Belt Pouch to make the coins inside jingle, and then you tell the innkeeper that you want to buy your companions a drink.</p>
2431        <p><quote>What<ch.apos/>s wrong wiv<ch.apos/> you? Ya hard o<ch.apos/>hearin<ch.apos/>? I said get out and I meant get out!</quote> And with these harsh words the innkeeper flashes a glance at a group of mean-faced men who are standing along the counter. They put down their ales and then move slowly towards you, their hands hovering menacingly around the hilts of their swords and daggers. For a few anxious moments it looks as if a fight is about to break out, but then a gruff voice arises from the corner of the taproom and the men halt in their tracks.</p>
2432        <p><quote>Hold y<ch.apos/>horses,</quote> says the commanding voice. <quote>Let me speak with the Northlander.</quote></p>
2433        <p>You peer across the smoky room and see that the voice belongs to a stout, bearded man who is sitting alone in an alcove. He beckons you to join him, but when you approach his table in the company of the Suhnese crewmen he suddenly snaps at you: <quote>I said I wanted to speak to you, not these raggin<ch.apos/> crows. If you want to do business with me, they<ch.apos/>ll have to wait for you in the street outside.</quote></p>
2434        <choice idref="sect164">If you decide to agree to his terms, <link-text>turn to 164</link-text>.</choice>
2435        <choice idref="sect121">If you refuse to part company with the Suhnese, <link-text>turn to 121</link-text>.</choice>
2436      </data>
2437     </section>
2438
2439     <section class="numbered" id="sect109">
2440      <meta><title>109</title></meta>
2441
2442      <data>
2443        <p>The two-day voyage to Nhang passes swiftly and without incident and you arrive at the port early on the morning of the third day. The entrance to Nhang harbour is noted for its eighty fearsome stone statues, known as <quote>The Warriors of Nhang</quote>, which stand in two lines and form a double colonnade out into the sea. Their ferocious granite faces glare down at you unmercifully as the <cite>Embassage</cite> sails between them and docks at the quay.</p>
2444        <p>Before you disembark, Captain Leonghi warns you to be on your guard while you are in the city. The natives still harbour loyalties to the memory of Shasarak, and recent uprisings have led to the imposition of a dusk-to-dawn curfew. He advises you to go directly to the city of Tiklu and seek out his cousin Gemulkin. He, too, is a merchant captain and he regularly plies a trader between Tiklu and the Port of Suhn. Leonghi gives you a scroll (record this Special Item on your <a idref="action">Action Chart</a> as Leonghi<ch.apos/>s Scroll; you keep it in a pocket of your tunic). It is a letter of introduction which bears his seal, and in it he asks his cousin to take you to Suhn.</p>
2445        <p>You thank the captain for all his help and then disembark onto Nhang quay. You leave the port area and follow The Street of the Full Moon<ch.emdash/>the main thoroughfare which bisects the city and ends at its West Gate. Your first impressions of Nhang are mixed. The striking design and construction of its buildings amaze you, but the dismal mood of its natives and the large number of street beggars leave you with the feeling that the city could erupt at any time.</p>
2446        <p>You pass many hundreds of shops and they all appear dingy and uninteresting until you happen upon a triangular building, created by a fork in the road. It has no sign stating its business, but by the nature of the various goods displayed in its window you judge it to be an emporium.</p>
2447        <choice idref="sect156">If you wish to enter this shop, <link-text>turn to 156</link-text>.</choice>
2448        <choice idref="sect281">If you wish to continue walking along the street, <link-text>turn to 281</link-text>.</choice>
2449      </data>
2450     </section>
2451
2452     <section class="numbered" id="sect110">
2453      <meta><title>110</title></meta>
2454
2455      <data>
2456        <p>You meet with Melchar as planned, and after a meagre breakfast at the inn, you follow the crowds who are making their way through the streets to the Caeno racetrack. This magnificent establishment dominates the city<ch.apos/>s eastern quarter and it has provided the venue for this spectacular derby for more than a century. Unlike the famous horse races held in Slovia and Lourden, the Caeno Derby is run by guanza<ch.emdash/>large bipedal lizards that are bred and trained throughout the Southlands. Huge sums are bet on the big race and the owner of the winning guanza stands to collect a purse of 100,000 Nobles.</p>
2457
2458        <illustration class="inline">
2459         <meta>
2460          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2461         </meta>
2462         <instance class="html" src="small2.png" width="386" height="108"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2463         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small2.gif" width="386" height="108"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2464         <instance class="pdf" src="small2.pdf" width="386" height="108"/>
2465        </illustration>
2466
2467        <p>On entering the racetrack you and your companion make your way through the crowds to the parade enclosures. Melchar is keen to bet on the favourite<ch.emdash/>Forlu-zhan<ch.emdash/>but he wants to view the other runners before placing his wager with Wrok the Bookmaker. Having satisfied himself that the favourite will win, he goes off to the betting ring while you stay at the enclosure and watch the guanza lope past. As Forlu-zhan passes by, your Magnakai Discipline of Animal Control tells you that something is wrong. You sense that the favourite has been drugged with a mild tincture of graveweed and that he will be incapable of winning the race. Quickly you hurry to the betting ring to stop Melchar placing his wager. He is about to hand over his money when you catch up with him and tell him what you know. Melchar cancels his bet and Wrok the Bookmaker glares at you with undisguised hatred. He signals to a group of his henchmen and swiftly they surround you both. The moment the race begins you and Melchar are grabbed from behind and manhandled out of the betting ring. Wrok<ch.apos/>s henchmen bundle you into a tack room below the public stands, but before they can lock the door, you draw your weapon and attack them.</p>
2468        <combat><enemy>Wrok<ch.apos/>s Henchmen (6)</enemy><enemy-attribute class="combatskill">38</enemy-attribute><enemy-attribute class="endurance">36</enemy-attribute></combat>
2469        <choice idref="sect206">If you win this combat, <link-text>turn to 206</link-text>.</choice>
2470      </data>
2471     </section>
2472
2473     <section class="numbered" id="sect111">
2474      <meta><title>111</title></meta>
2475
2476      <data>
2477        <p>Your Kai senses alert you to danger as you draw closer to the burning wreck. You warn the captain and at first he is sceptical. Then he, too, senses that something is greatly amiss and he orders the crew to hoist the mainsail in order to reduce speed. His caution is soon rewarded when suddenly a Shadakine man o<ch.apos/>war breaks cover from between two rocky islets and comes surging towards <cite>The Azan</cite>. Jenkshi orders the crew to lower the mainsail once more and begin evasive action, but the wind is starting to change and this greatly hampers his escape plan.</p>
2478        <p>You magnify your vision and scour the prow and foredecks of the approaching ship. It is dressed with the scarlet sails of a Shadaki buccaneer vessel and it is sitting very low in the water. You hazard a guess that it must be fully laden with booty stolen from the hold of the burning trader. With the wind going against him, Jenkshi takes a calculated gamble. He orders his helmsman to steer towards a narrow channel between two nearby islets. He is hoping that his lighter craft will be able to pass through the shallows here and gain precious time while the heavier enemy ship will be forced to go around the isles to avoid running aground. It is a bold manoeuvre, and one that is made all the more dangerous when the enemy captain suddenly turns his vessel and runs it parallel to <cite>The Azan</cite>. To your horror you see that the Shadakine man o<ch.apos/>war is armed with deck cannons. As it gains on your ship you see clouds of white smoke and flame erupt all along its hull. Then seconds later you hear the rumbling roar of its cannons, followed closely by the terrifying shriek of its deadly ball and chain shot as it comes hurtling through the air towards your vulnerable ship.</p>
2479
2480       <illustration class="float">
2481        <meta>
2482         <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2483         <description>You hear the rumbling roar of the ship<ch.apos/>s cannons as the deadly ball and chain shot hurtles towards you.</description>
2484        </meta>
2485        <instance class="html" src="ill7.png" width="386" height="559"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2486        <instance class="html-compatible" src="ill7.gif" width="386" height="559"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2487        <instance class="pdf" src="ill7.pdf" width="386" height="559" />
2488       </illustration>
2489
2490        <p>Pick a number from the <a idref="random">Random Number Table</a>.</p>
2491        <choice idref="sect218">If the number you have picked is 0<ch.endash/>6, <link-text>turn to 218</link-text>.</choice>
2492        <choice idref="sect91">If it is 7<ch.endash/>9, <link-text>turn to 91</link-text>.</choice>
2493      </data>
2494     </section>
2495
2496     <section class="numbered" id="sect112">
2497      <meta><title>112</title></meta>
2498
2499      <data>
2500        <p>You prise open the trapdoor and discover a secret compartment, built for the smuggling of contraband. The compartment is empty but it is of no use<ch.emdash/>it is too small a space in which to hide. You glance at the doorway and see the creature rushing towards the hold. You cannot hope to hide from it now. Your Sixth Sense tells you that it wants the Moonstone and that it will stop at nothing to take it from you.</p>
2501        <choice idref="sect270">If you wish to stand and fight the creature, <link-text>turn to 270</link-text>.</choice>
2502        <choice idref="sect242">If you choose to try to evade it by climbing the ladder to the foredeck hatch, <link-text>turn to 242</link-text>.</choice>
2503      </data>
2504     </section>
2505
2506     <section class="numbered" id="sect113">
2507      <meta><title>113</title></meta>
2508
2509      <data>
2510        <p>Radyard is clearly impressed by your act of selflessness and he thanks you. He orders his crew to hoist the sails, and he tells his bo<ch.apos/>sun to wave a white flag from the stern deck to signal to Sesketera that he is complying with his command. A longboat is launched from <cite>The Triasus</cite> to collect you. It is carrying an officer and six marines, each armed with a half-pike and a Bor pistol. You present yourself to the officer and he ties your hands with cord before placing you aboard the boat. Radyard and his crew watch grim-faced as the longboat pushes off and begins its return run. Four of the marines are rowing whilst the officer and the other two watch you closely, the tips of their shortened naval pikes never wandering far from the vicinity of your heart. You turn to look to the jungle shore, less than half a mile distant, and suddenly a bold plan springs into your mind.</p>
2511        <choice idref="sect37">If you possess the Discipline of Kai-surge, <link-text>turn to 37</link-text>.</choice>
2512        <choice idref="sect312">If you do not, <link-text>turn to 312</link-text>.</choice>
2513      </data>
2514     </section>
2515
2516     <section class="numbered" id="sect114">
2517      <meta><title>114</title></meta>
2518
2519      <data>
2520        <p>The inside of the taverna is crowded with travellers eating their meals, and serving girls rushing to and fro clutching trays piled high with food and ale. All of the tables are occupied and there are no spare places.</p>
2521        <p><quote>We<ch.apos/>re full up<ch.emdash/>can<ch.apos/>t you see that!</quote> bellows a surly waitress. She slams her tray down on a nearby table, startling the meek-faced group of pilgrims who are seated there.</p>
2522        <p><quote>If you want food it<ch.apos/>ll cost you 4 Nobles<ch.ellips/>and you<ch.apos/>ll have to eat it outside!</quote></p>
2523        <p>The meals here are very expensive, but your rumbling stomach reminds you that you are very hungry and the city of Jazer is still half a day<ch.apos/>s walk away.</p>
2524        <choice idref="sect29">If you wish to buy a Meal here, <link-text>turn to 29</link-text>.</choice>
2525        <choice idref="sect93">If you decide not to, <link-text>turn to 93</link-text>.</choice>
2526      </data>
2527     </section>
2528
2529     <section class="numbered" id="sect115">
2530      <meta><title>115</title></meta>
2531
2532      <data>
2533        <p>Using your advanced psychic skill, you focus upon the heads of the rivets which fix the bolt to the cell door, and you cause them to vibrate. It is a slow and demanding task (lose 3 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points) but eventually these rivets heat up, expand, and then split. When the strength of their iron has been sufficiently undermined, you are then able to wrench open the cell door.</p>
2534        <choice idref="sect24"><link-text>Turn to 24</link-text>.</choice>
2535      </data>
2536     </section>
2537
2538     <section class="numbered" id="sect116">
2539      <meta><title>116</title></meta>
2540
2541      <data>
2542        <p>As soon as you walk into the busy market square you are assailed from all sides by merchants eager to sell their wares. All manner of goods are offered but most are of little or no use to you. As you push your way through the merchants, you notice a market stall that sells healing concoctions. One of these is Laumspur for which the vendor is asking 2 Nobles per potion. (Each Potion of Laumspur restores 4 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points when consumed after combat.)</p>
2543        <choice idref="sect238">If you wish to ask the vendor if he knows the whereabouts of Lord Zinair, <link-text>turn to 238</link-text>.</choice>
2544        <choice idref="sect53">If you choose to leave the stall and continue across the square, <link-text>turn to 53</link-text>.</choice>
2545      </data>
2546     </section>
2547
2548     <section class="numbered" id="sect117">
2549      <meta><title>117</title></meta>
2550
2551      <data>
2552        <p>You dismount from your mule and hurry into the village. The fiercest fire is raging through the roof of the largest hut which dominates the centre of the settlement, and it is here that you use your Kai skill to best effect. You suppress the flames, shrinking them and containing them so that the villagers are able to approach with buckets of water and put out the blaze.</p>
2553        <p>When all of the smaller fires in the surrounding huts have also been extinguished, the elder of the village thanks you for your timely help. He tells you that the fire was started deliberately by a dragon that dwells in the Hulhuk Mountains.</p>
2554        <p><quote>It is the bane of our humble village,</quote> he says, shaking his head sadly. <quote>We fear that it will return this night to finish us.</quote> Seeing the Kai Weapon sheathed at your side, the elder looks at you with hope in his eyes. He begs you to stay here tonight and help rid the village of its bane.</p>
2555        <choice idref="sect267">If you wish to stay and help the villagers, <link-text>turn to 267</link-text>.</choice>
2556        <choice idref="sect213">If you decide not to help them, <link-text>turn to 213</link-text>.</choice>
2557      </data>
2558     </section>
2559
2560     <section class="numbered" id="sect118">
2561      <meta><title>118</title></meta>
2562
2563      <data>
2564        <p>Lord Rimoah bids you goodnight and reminds you that he shall call for you at an hour before dawn. You retire to bed and stare at the ceiling as you think about the quest that lies ahead. No sooner have you fallen asleep, or so it seems, than you are awoken by Rimoah<ch.apos/>s knock on the door. You gather your Weapons and belongings and then walk with him through a procession of torchlit corridors that lead to the entrance to the tower. As you approach the main doors, Rimoah indicates a chamber off to your right.</p>
2565        <p><quote>That is the Tower Armoury, Grand Master,</quote> he says. <quote>You are welcome to inspect it and take whatever you wish before you embark upon your voyage.</quote></p>
2566        <choice idref="sect152">If you wish to accept Rimoah<ch.apos/>s offer, you may enter the armoury and examine its contents by <link-text>turning to 152</link-text>.</choice>
2567        <choice idref="sect49">If you decide to decline his offer, <link-text>turn to 49</link-text>.</choice>
2568      </data>
2569     </section>
2570
2571     <section class="numbered" id="sect119">
2572      <meta><title>119</title></meta>
2573
2574      <data>
2575        <p>The woman leads you through the shabby streets of Masama to her house on the boundary of the town<ch.apos/>s wealthy quarter. It is a two-storey dwelling, modest in comparison to others nearby yet richly appointed, with servants, a stable, and a fragrant orchard of guyan trees. You are ushered upstairs to where a young girl lies in a darkened room. She has a fever and a sickly grey pallor that makes her look more than twice her age. You recognize at once that she is suffering from Mysua. It is a disease that is spread by swamp flies and is not uncommon among the jungle-dwellers of Shadaki.</p>
2576        <p>Using your Magnakai Curing skills, and aided by the presence of the Moonstone, you are able to neutralise the infection that has ravaged this young girl<ch.apos/>s body. Within a few hours her fever has disappeared and a healthy colour returns to her face. She shows every sign they she will make a complete recovery. Her mother is overjoyed and she thanks you repeatedly. She insists that you stay here as her guest and she provides you with your own room overlooking the river.</p>
2577        <p>Over a delicious evening meal prepared by her servants, you learn that her name is Tiosanna. She is the widow of a wealthy trader who was killed at sea when his ship was attacked and plundered by buccaneers. When her only daughter recently fell ill with fever, she feared she was going to lose her as well. She rarely goes to the market, yet a strange compulsion made her go today. She cannot explain, but the moment she saw you she knew that it was within your power to save her daughter<ch.apos/>s life.</p>
2578        <p>You retire early to bed and sleep soundly (you may restore 6 <typ class="attribute">ENDURANCE</typ> points). When you rise at dawn, you are feeling fresh and eager to continue your journey to the Isle of Lorn. In appreciation for saving her daughter<ch.apos/>s life, Tiosanna gives you a horse. Gladly you accept her generous gift and you bid them both a fond farewell before you set off along <quote>The Dragon<ch.apos/>s Tail</quote><ch.emdash/>the name given by the natives of this region to the overland route from Masama to the city of Kitaezi.</p>
2579        <p>After consulting your <a idref="map">map</a> you estimate that it should take you no more than two days to reach Kitaezi. The weather has settled and the overland trail proves far smoother than its given name implies. By mid-afternoon you have covered more than 50 miles and you are pleased with your progress.</p>
2580
2581        <illustration class="inline">
2582         <meta>
2583          <creator>Brian Williams</creator>
2584         </meta>
2585         <instance class="html" src="small7.png" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/png"/>
2586         <instance class="html-compatible" src="small7.gif" width="386" height="150"  mime-type="image/gif"/>
2587         <instance class="pdf" src="small7.pdf" width="386" height="150"/>
2588        </illustration>
2589
2590        <p>You are passing through a range of forested hills and gullies when you come to an unexpected fork in the trail. A signpost says that both branches of this fork lead to Kitaezi, yet it does not give any indication which is the shorter or the safer route to take.</p>
2591        <choice idref="sect196">If you wish to take the left fork in the road, <link-text>turn to 196</link-text>.</choice>
2592        <choice idref="sect289">If you decide to take the right fork, <link-text>turn to 289</link-text>.</choice>
2593      </data>
2594     </section>
2595
2596     <section class="numbered" id="sect120">
2597      <meta><title>120</title></meta>
2598
2599       <footnotes>
2600        <footnote id="sect120-1-foot" idref="sect120-1">
2601         <p>This is the correct answer to the question posed in <a idref="sect107">Section 107</a>.</p>
2602        </footnote>
2603       </footnotes>
2604
2605      <data>
2606        <p>The moment you voice the answer to the challenge,<footref id="sect120-1" idref="sect120-1-foot"/> the black globes disappear and the mist fades to reveal a lush, green, volcanic island that is crowned by a halo of silvery cloud. Your pulse races with anticipation as you feel the sea return beneath the keel of your craft, and a wind to propel you towards this wondrous isle. You have met the challenge and you have triumphed. Now you shall reap your reward by landing upon the shores of Lorn<ch.emdash/>mystical realm of the exiled Shianti.</p>
2607        <choice idref="sect15">To continue, <link-text>turn to 15</link-text>.</choice>
2608      </data>
2609     </section>
2610
2611     <section class="numbered" id="sect121">
2612      <meta><title>121</title></meta>
2613
2614      <data>
2615        <p><quote>Ha! I<ch.apos/>ve no time for fools!</quote> retorts the bearded man. <quote>Do as the innkeeper says<ch.emdash/>be on your way.</quote></p>
2616        <p>The drunken louts in this taproom start to jeer and throw food and ale at your companions. In the face of this mindless abuse you lead them out of the tavern and begin retracing your route back to the harbour in the hope of reaching <cite>The Azan</cite> before night closes in completely. You are within a few hundred yards of the harbour entrance when suddenly a patrol of the city watch come marching around a corner with their spears couched on their chainmailed shoulders. Their officer commands you all to halt and demands that you raise your hands above your heads.</p>
2617        <choice idref="sect228">If you wish to do as the officer has ordered, <link-text>turn to 228</link-text>.</choice>
2618        <choice idref="sect330">If you decide to make a dash for the harbour, <link-text>turn to 330</link-text>.</choice>
2619      </data>
2620     </section>
2621
2622     <section class="numbered" id="sect122">
2623      <meta><title>122</title></meta>
2624
2625      <data>
2626        <p>You focus on the creature and utter the Old Kingdom word of power <spell>Gloar!</spell> The supernatural beast shudders as the force of your spell-word strikes, but it quickly recovers and continues its terrible attack upon your horse. Desperate now to save your weakening mount, you rush forward to strike the beast with your Kai Weapon.</p>